Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-274 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 274 Monday, 7 October 1996 Today's Topics: Jacksonville CANCELLED - TMBG Medical Problems Concerts More on Jax Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-273 Re: Super-Size H-e-l-p! Re: JH cover Re: More on Jax I won FS on the radio! Whoo! Argh in Jacksonville Philly Concert Re: Argh in Jacksonville Who sings on Live in NYC L vs F Everything Right is Wrong Again Music Re: Super-Size Brooklyn and Re: JH Cover Track 0 - Token Back to Brooklyn Taste of DC Chords cage&aquarium; messed up face-worst enemy Thoughts Re: Taste of DC Token Back Re: Taste of DC Re: Token Back Re: Super-Size Broom Re: Who sings on Live in NYC Re: Taste of DC Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-273 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 02:03:02 -0700 From: JRB Organization: barnhaus Subject: Jacksonville CANCELLED - TMBG Medical Problems After starting late and playing only three songs, the band left the stage, and only came back to announce that the show was cancelled due to unspecified medical problems. We hope the lads are all right. The fans were treated shabbily. The management of the Milk Bar was unable to give a straight answer regarding make-up dates or rain checks; many patrons paid $14 at the door and were not given a receipt. After waiting patiently until after 12:00, a small group of fans who were losing patience were given business cards from the bar which are allegedly rain-checks good for any performance at the bar. Some fans who waited outside and were told that they would be allowed back in if any decision was made were not let back in when the rain checks were given out. All in all, not a good night. Jonathan Byron barnhaus@ix.netcom.com jbyron@junix.ju.edu ------------------------------ From: Dane Woodall Subject: Concerts Date: Sun, 6 Oct 96 4:20:53 18000 Well, I just got back from both the Alachua and Jacksonville concerts, and of course, the Alachua one was being seeing as it wasn't cancelled, and the crowd wasn't AS horrible as the one at the Milk Bar. It was really cool being able to hear new songs from Factory Showroom, and one girl looked at me funny for already knowing the lyrics to SEXXY, which I thought was pretty cool. The puppets were really cool, so was the song they used them in, Exquisite Dead Guy. I liked all the new factory showroom songs, but I didn't get to hear a few of them, although they WERE planned to be played at the Milk Bar, but due to Linnell (As well as me) becoming sick because of the surroundings, they weren't played *sniff*. Well, I guess I will just have to wait 2 days till it comes out on CD, although at the concert, I'm sure it would have been a lot better. The moshing (if you can call it that) at Jacksonville in the Milk Bar was absolutely horrible, so many rude people just bashing through the crowd, and finally condenced the crowd so tight, I became dehydrated and almost puked, it smelled bad due to all the sweat too. I really would have liked to see the full jacksonville show, but not everything works out right, so I will forget about it. Well, that's about it, and I think FS will be definitely worth buying when it comes out. -- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dane Woodall - woodalld@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~dwoodall/ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 06:03:21 -0400 Subject: More on Jax Hello 41- Yeah, the Jax show wasn't too great. Here is just some more that wasn't mentioned... The acoustics in that place aren't very good. I was at the way front and hopefully got some good shots of the band. They gave away stuff at the end, and I got a drum stick, and John's guitar pick that I think I might have lost. D'oh! The opening band wasn't too good either. Here is the short set: Subliminal NYC James K. Polk Twistin That's all folks. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 10:17:29 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (John Galt) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-273 >I totally agree. Same way with Barenaked Ladies' cd "Gordon", and >leese...even the Giants' "Apollo 18". In fact, I have a Moxy Fruvous cd >("Wood") sitting on my cd rack that I really haven't given a good listen to. >I'm not crazy about it. Watch, in a few months, it's my favourite cd I >betcha. Has wood been released in the US yet? I want that cd! >>>I was watching Seinfeld last night and there was, much to my surprise, a >James K. Polk reference. << >Hehe, I noticed that too right away. I even put it in the email I was >composing at that minute, I think it was to Matt James. There was a Polk reference the day before, i believe on jeopardy. Pretty kewl that the guy's showing up everywhere so suddenly! Nathan (tenman), just standing here counting crows ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 10:37:40 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Super-Size Evan Chakroff wrote: > > In I Can Hear You, do you think the line "... I can Super-Size that ..." > will not be printed? Isn't that trademarked by McDonalds? > -- > Evan Chakroff The lyrics probably won't be printed for that song. If the "super-sized" isn't trademarked, "Viper" most definately is, referring to the car alarms. john ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 11:05:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Scott Rodas Subject: H-e-l-p! Does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of the Chris Stamey/Alaska CD-Ep that was released by the Hello Music Club? I've looked high and low and can't seem to get my ears/hands on it? I'm a big Stamey fan (and a big TMBG fan)- I will also take a taped copy of the ep! Please help. Thanks! Scott (skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 11:16:15 -0400 From: Pavlov Subject: Re: JH cover off products on www.tmgb.com, they have the JH poster, which i currently have hanging on my wall :) (course i got mine from a local record store for free... but thats besides the point) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Pavlov (Stuart Parmenter) irc servers: | E-Mail: pavlov@innerx.net WarPeD.GA.US.EarthInt.Net | Atlanta.GA.US.Undernet.Org | WWW: http://irc.innerx.net/pavlov "Experimental dog, Salivating dog, Good dog, dinner bell dinner bell do the bell thing, dinner bell dinner bell ring" - They Might Be Giants - "Dinner Bell" ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: More on Jax Date: Sun, 6 Oct 96 16:08:27 18000 > > Hello 41- > > Yeah, the Jax show wasn't too great. Here is just some more that wasn't > mentioned... Not too great, no, I would say that. My ribs being crushed against the wall and getting kicked in the head for 12 minutes of playing isn't a fun evening! And WHO was that opening band? Argh. I didn't like the fact that all of their songs ended in guitar static. And started in them. And were guitar static in the duration. My memory of the Jacksonville concert goes about like this: 6:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.m. Sitting on stairs (Got to talk to Johns though) 8:00 P.M. - 8:05 P.m. Moved outside, let back in, move to front 8:05 P.M. - 9:30 P.M. Standing still talking to people around me, sweating. 9:30 P.M. - 11:00 P.M. Being crushed to death and kicked in the head. 11:00 P.M. - 11:15 P.M. Being crushed to death and kicked in the head during They Might Be Giants songs. 11:30 Relieved to leave actually, and 11:30 - 4:00 A.M. Drive home What a wasted day. > > The acoustics in that place aren't very good. I was at the way front and > hopefully got some good shots of the band. They gave away stuff at the end, > and I got a drum stick, and John's guitar pick that I think I might have > lost. D'oh! The opening band wasn't too good either. Here is the short > set: > Hmm... you were Mr. Ukrainian flag then? :) I was very close to you the whole time, in the black & white shirt & glasses... Well did you get a copy of the Alachua concert at least? Please say you did. . . . I liked the Alachua concert a lot better, it was so much more fun. > Subliminal > NYC > James K. Polk > Twistin > > That's all folks. > > Adam > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 16:44:07 -0400 Subject: I won FS on the radio! Whoo! I just thought I'd share my ol' lucky day!!! :) They said to be caller #26, I kept trying, and I WON! whoo hoo! that's it! I'm done! :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 18:09:40 -0700 From: Mike Green Organization: Consortium Realty Services Subject: Argh in Jacksonville Well... we were all disappointed (including the band I'm sure) when the concert was halted last night after four songs. John L. apparently was quite sick (almost passed out) when John F. announced abruptly that they would "be back in five". About ten minutes later he came back to announce that it was over. Quite a disappointment for our group which had travelled from Orlando. Saw another group from Tampa. Everybody took it in reasonable stride but damn... what a disappointment. Can anybody who saw the Gainesville concert on Friday tell us how it went? Hope John in back to health soon... as the "world tour" awaits. We'll be watching for a makeup date in Jax and truly hoping for a visit to Orlando Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 18:06:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Ira Adler Subject: Philly Concert Hello other listers who plan on going to the Philly concert. I'll see you there. BTW, would people who have gone to recent shows kindly post the set lists? I just want a general idea of what They'll be playing... Oh yeah... one more note about the philly show, in response to those people who complained about the crappy opening act in Jacksonville... No opening act is scheduled for the Phily show! Joy! ------------------------------ From: Dane Woodall Subject: Re: Argh in Jacksonville Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 19:28:05 -0400 (EDT) > > Well... we were all disappointed (including the band I'm sure) when the > concert was halted last night after four songs. John L. apparently was > quite sick (almost passed out) when John F. announced abruptly that they > would "be back in five". About ten minutes later he came back to > announce that it was over. > > Quite a disappointment for our group which had travelled from Orlando. > Saw another group from Tampa. Everybody took it in reasonable stride but > damn... what a disappointment. > > Can anybody who saw the Gainesville concert on Friday tell us how it > went? Well, I was at the Gainesville and Jacksonville concert. The alachua concert was pretty cool, they sang nearly all the new songs from FS, and a few varied versions of classic songs. I was expected the Milk Bar to be even better, because they had planned on singing all FS songs, but since it was cancelled, I suppose the alachua concert will do. The puppets they brought out for Exquisite Dead Guy were really cool, so was the song. The crowd wasn't nearly as bad in gainesville as it was in jacksonville. And as usual, they said the concert was over after about 12 songs or so, then came back on stage to play three more, which was pretty cool. I was just glad I got to go to one of them, and I do hope for another concert to pop up sometime, and be realtively close to where I live. And again, let me say, the crowd in Jax was utterly horrible. I wanted to punch one guy in the nose he was such a moron. > > Hope John in back to health soon... as the "world tour" awaits. > > We'll be watching for a makeup date in Jax and truly hoping for a visit > to Orlando > > Mike > -- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dane Woodall - woodalld@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~dwoodall/ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 19:43:19 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Who sings on Live in NYC Is that Linnell or Flansburgh singing "O Do Not Forsake Me" on Live in NYC. I think its Flans, but my friend insists that it's Linnell. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: L vs F Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 19:48:34 -0400 (EDT) I have a theory concerning who writes better songs. Since many people seem to like Linnell's songs more than Flansburgh's I have come to the conclusion that the reason for this may be because Linnell plays more instruments. He can play accordian, keyboard, clarinet, saxiphone, and I believe bass and guitar to some extent as well as other instruments. Flans seems to focus on playing just the guitar and I have not seen him play any other instrument frequently enough or with the proficiency that Linnell can play various instruments. Now going on the theory that the songs that they sing are the ones that they write (which is probably true in most cases), then I know that I probably like more Linnell songs (there are some that I don't like that much, i.e. Snail Shell and Unrelated Thing). When writing a song, I would think the better grasp you have on each instrument as well as actually experimenting with that instrument would cause the writer to write a better song. Now I'm sure that both Johns know the instruments pretty well as they've been playing together for well over 10 years but having that base knowledge and being able to put it to practice constantly might make me think that Linnell is more able to write more songs that are better. Any thoughts? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 18:53:09 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Everything Right is Wrong Again Hey Ben and everyone... In regards to the movie that Everything Right.. is played at the end.. has anyone else seen the (really bad) movie called "Ed and his dead mother"? Everything Right... is on the end credits all the way through.. I just figured this is what you were talking about, but noone else mentioned it. Any comments? Heather ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 20:11:47 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: Music Does anyone have trumpet parts for the follwing songs: Sleeping In The Flowers, Extra-Savoir Faire, No One know My Plan, Dirt Bike, Thermostat, or Stomp Box, or anyother TMBG song? If you do. Please tell me. I would really appreciate it. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------ Son I am able she said,"Though you scare me". "Watch." said I. "Beloved," I said "Watch me scare you." Though, said she able am I son. TMBG *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 15:45:57 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Super-Size Evan Chakroff wrote: >In I Can Hear You, do you think the line "... I can Super-Size that ..." >will not be printed? Isn't that trademarked by McDonalds? No lyrics for any song are included with Factory Showroom, but the lyrics for this song and most of the others appear at tmbg.com. Sarah Cooke "I don't wanna work. I just wanna' bang on me drum all day." "You can't play the drums." "I can't?" "No, you can't." "Oh. Well I still don't wanna work." "Lazy." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 16:06:44 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Brooklyn and Re: JH Cover It was recently brought to my attention that Token Back to Brooklyn is on FS, but you have to rewind past track 1 to hear it. I would highly recommend this; it's one of the best songs on the album. >Does anyone have or can get a rather large version of the cover of the John >Henry cd? There is a poster of it available from the info club and the tmbg.com page. Sarah Cooke "I don't wanna work. I just wanna' bang on me drum all day." "You can't play the drums." "I can't?" "No, you can't." "Oh. Well I still don't wanna work." "Lazy." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:56:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Track 0 - Token Back to Brooklyn This does sound kind of weird.....I never even knew there was a track 0......it seems like an even cooler thing for TMBG to have done than when they broke up fingertips into individual tracks. I'm also glad to hear this, because Token is (I'm assuming) one of the songs I heard on DAS that I really liked). But why keep it a secret though? And as someone else asked, how many CDs are doing this? Who knows what we may be missing out on. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:58:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Taste of DC Does anyone have some more info on TMBG at Taste of DC? All I have been able to find out is that they are on 12th Street (at first people had said 12th Stage, but now that I know that Taste of DC covers 9th through 14th streets, this would make more sense). Specifically, I am trying to see if anyone knows what specific times TMBG will be there, etc. And anyone else from the list planning on going? Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:35:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Ira Adler Subject: Chords Does anyone have the chords to the FS songs, especially Until My Head Falls Off, New York City, Metal Detector, or The Bells are Ringing? Thanks ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: cage&aquarium; messed up face-worst enemy Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:27:05 -0500 Being only 12, i am much more uncultered in music than just about anyone on this list (although i know much beyond MTV "Knowlede") anyway: In socil studies than the teacher turns on the radio occaisonally, and the playlist is usually - "Alanis Morrisette (sp?)", "Metallica" "AM" "Green Day" "AM" "some rap-crap" "AM", i hate my mainstream town, nobody actually _likes_ anything, they just listen to it because it is popular. Wow, that was off track, my point was i heard on a commercial on the radio being sung by a choir "This is the starting[i think] of the sale of aquariums" and it sounded like a paradoy of something popular which was possibly "parodied" into cage & aquarium, just a thought, anybody know? And today i heard being played in a store (yes, now even life gets background music) a song singing something like "Precious to you are the moments that you [couldn't tell] spend" and i ws wondering if that was "The guy with the messed up face". As i said, i am uncultured and don't know that much. SO, ANYONE GOT ANSWERS? realizing there are about 3 scentances here, _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Thoughts Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 22:30:46 -0400 (EDT) My thoughts on a few recent topics: 1) Flans vs Linnell I believe the issue this time was song writing ability. Something to notice is that Flans is Mr Music Busines. He loves the whole record making thing, witness Hello club and Mono Puff. I understand he makes many of the business arrangments. I think he's also the one who wants commercial success. I believe this means his song writing is more influenced by record companies and popular music than Linnell. Linnell is more the guy who likes to make music, and just wants to have fun playing all sorts of instruments and writing fun songs. All in all I think they balance fairly well. 2) Factory Showroom I think Factory Showroom is definately a notch down, but I think it is the record companys fault. They recorded 22 songs for it, but only 13 appear. The record was delayed several times. Comments are made about Superfueled Freeksickle's release date being dependant on FS's success. I believe the record company is twisting their arm for some reason, and it's hurting their creativity a little. 3) Hidden CD tracks. The CD recording format leaves itself open to all sorts of wierd things due to the way it was defined. Somewhere on the internet is a listing of all the wierd stuff people have already done with it, and it's quite long (I wish I could find the URL). Now with extended CD formats it will only get worse, or better depending on how you look at it. Tip: Playing the CD on a computer with a recent computer program is often the best bet to find these things. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: John Murray Subject: Re: Taste of DC Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 22:36:59 -0400 (EDT) > Does anyone have some more info on TMBG at Taste of DC? All I have been > able to find out is that they are on 12th Street (at first people had > said 12th Stage, but now that I know that Taste of DC covers 9th through > 14th streets, this would make more sense). > > Specifically, I am trying to see if anyone knows what specific times TMBG > will be there, etc. And anyone else from the list planning on going? I remeber from the ad from fridays washingpost's weekend section said, I belive, 3:30pm on monday. -- -John Murray jmurray@vt.edu New Music by They Might Be Giants! (Temp Down) http://jmurray.campus.vt.edu/tmbg/ The Unnoffical Pritcahrd Home Page http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~murray/pritchard ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Token Back Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 22:47:49 -0400 (EDT) Token Back to Brooklyn is not on the Promo radio cd. I found one yesterday at a store and tried to rewind from track 1 to 0 and it would not do it, it was not there. Could this be only on the official release? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 22:55:57 -0400 Subject: Re: Taste of DC xDoes anyone have some more info on TMBG at Taste of DC? All I have been xable to find out is that they are on 12th Street (at first people had xsaid 12th Stage, but now that I know that Taste of DC covers 9th through x14th streets, this would make more sense). They perform at 3:30 according to an ad I saw... "Colossal Guitars, Massive Hooks-- They Might Be Giants", and a tiny blurred photo of the Johns looking as if they had very painful kidney stones. Anyway... the admission for the festival is free! But bring money if you want food, I suppose. The whole fair is open from 11 am to 6:30 pm. Close Metro stops: Metro center, Federal Triangle, Archives-Navy memorial. Use Metro!!! Or you will be searching for a place to park for a very long time. I will definitely be there with as large a posse as I can get. Just look for the blond girl yelling "PLAY 'I AM NOT YOUR BROOM'!!!" at the stage. :) --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 23:20:10 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: Token Back >Token Back to Brooklyn is not on the Promo radio cd. Not so. It IS on the promo copy. >I found >one yesterday at a store and tried to rewind from track 1 to >0 and it would not do it, it was not there. Were you trying to find track 0?? That won't work. Once S-E-X-X-Y begins, hit the rewind button (NOT the TRACK button) and rewind it to Track 1: -1:03 seconds Then let it play through. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 23:21:31 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: Super-Size >No lyrics for any song are included with Factory Showroom, but the lyrics >for this song and most of the others appear at tmbg.com. I thought that was only with the green covered promo copies. I may be wrong. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Broom Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 23:27:42 -0400 (EDT) I am Not Your Broom is hilarious! Everyone must download this Quicktime immediately! How wacky it is! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 23:41:05 -0400 Subject: Re: Who sings on Live in NYC <> Flans, without a doubt. I prefer it to the album version, while that is pretty much the only TMBG song my friend likes because they don't sing it. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 00:38:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Taste of DC Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Oct-96 Re: Taste of DC by Christi587@aol.com > They perform at 3:30 according to an ad I saw... "Colossal Guitars, Massive > Hooks-- They Might Be Giants", and a tiny blurred photo of the Johns looking > as if they had very painful kidney stones. Anyway... the admission for the > festival is free! But bring money if you want food, I suppose. The whole fair > is open from 11 am to 6:30 pm. Close Metro stops: Metro center, Federal > Triangle, Archives-Navy memorial. Use Metro!!! Or you will be searching for a > place to park for a very long time. > > I will definitely be there with as large a posse as I can get. Just look for > the blond girl yelling "PLAY 'I AM NOT YOUR BROOM'!!!" at the stage. :) Wouldn't it be more effective to yell it at them? I haven't known many stages that respond to requests... :) Then again, I haven't ever seen TMBG respond to requests unless they ask for them... You all realize how easy this is going to be to video tape, being a public, wide open concert, right? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 01:10:18 -0400 From: Gautam Peri Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-273 To Joshua: >The album has fourteen songs, which is four less than TPA, and it's about 7 >minutes longer too. If you had shortened John Henry to 45 min, it would have >had 14-15 songs too, and a lot of people have complained about how long John >Henry was. It'll be *fine*. Don't worry. People have complained that John Henry was too LONG? How can there be TOO MUCH They? Interesting.. To Sarah: >One question- what is "Token Back to Brooklyn?" It's not on my copy. Token Back to Brooklyn is track 0 on the CD version of FS...rewind from track 1 and you should find it. >Which other artists are doing this/jsut how prolific is this? Apparently the track zero thing is becoming very popular, because simply adding a track at the end (like Live did with "Horse" on Throwing Copper, or Alice in Chains with "Love Song" on Sap) isn't really hiding anything, and adding a whole bunch of blank tracks (like Dave Matthews with "34") isn't any better. Some artists, like Cracker (I think it's Cracker that did this on Kerosene Hat) put a whole bunch of blank tracks on the CD, but instead of putting the hidden song on the last track, they put them somewhere in the middle (I think tracks 28 and 69 were the "hidden" songs on that CD). So while there are a number of ways to hide a song, clearly track 0 is the best...the only problem is that I'm not sure every CD player can handle track 0... To Matt: >I just thought it was wild that they'd have a used copy of an album that hasn't >even come out yet! That happened to me when John Henry came out...the kicker was, they had not 1, but FOUR used copies of John Henry a week before it came out. Weird. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I don't know what to believe, sometimes I even forget...And if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it..." -Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip in "Gift Shop" Gautam Peri, Economics (Yes, really), Rutgers University http://mars.superlink.net/peri +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-274 ******************************