Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-277 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 277 Thursday, 10 October 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Jacksonville Show :( and more Worst Enemy The Bells, the bells! Re: ThisICHY The gods are sooo *cruel* BOBA MAIL: I HATE DOGS! Ok, two problems with FS. Re: The Bells, the bells! Re: ThisICHY and the lyrics. factory showroom and the all gone! Re: i'm not your broom Re: Ahhh...Factory Showroom! Re: More on FS (Sorry!) Re: The Bells, the bells! BOBA MAIL: Shameless Plug lyrics to The Bells are Ringing The Old and the New lyrics Re: Token Back Re: Ahhh...Factory Showroom! Re: This Car is protected by Viper address screwups Re: More on FS (Sorry!) NYC Lyrics just some stuff.. Until My Head Falls Off Re: FS. What else?? Re: lyrics Re: Until My Head Falls Off Brooms, Horns, Strings, FS boba, please email me What kind of music does TMBG play?? (none) Re: Factory Showroom I just wanted to post having trouble with track 0? Yet Another Factory Showroom review Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-276 FS, of course.. Re: the freak flag is up!!!! (and insanely long other stuff) one quesiton: TTYD and TMBG This is a very bad sign. Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! i am not your broom!!! Re: an interesting post! singing what? Re: an interesting post! NYC CHORDS!!!! singing saw I am not your broom Only some related to Factory Showroom Re: TTYD and TMBG Re: Tryptophane This is not a Factory Showroom Review Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? Re: Only some related to Factory Showroom Factory Showroom (yeah, more of that) yakaitis! Wallpaper (none) Re: More on FS (Sorry!) Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? DIAL A SONG Re: TTYD and TMBG (none) Can't get FS!!! Re: 'spensive showroom Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? Re: Only some related to Factory Showroom Re: Ahhh...Factory Showroom! big lists I finally got FS, no review- thoughts...... Their Broken Hearts Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! + Classification +OAT My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Re: Their Broken Hearts Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-276 Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) TMBG dancin'! Chords for FS songs Re: NYC CHORDS!!!! fromal apology Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Dane Woodall Subject: Re: Jacksonville Show :( and more Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 19:35:38 -0400 (EDT) > > > > > Extra Credit > > I told a DJ friend of mine about Linnell getting sick at the Jax show > > and fainting and he suggested THEY change their name to: > > They Might Be....Conscious!!! =P > > > > > > =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ > > David Lapides > > david@specs-usa.com > > > That reminds me! One of the roadies at the They Might Be Giants show > in Jax was wearing a black shirt with white letters that said > "They Might Be Dead". And on the back it had lots of little white writing > that I couldn't read. Anyone know anything about these? They were funny, up > until the point where Linnell got sick. . . > > -- > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG > tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > It had tour dates on the back of it. -- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dane Woodall - woodalld@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~dwoodall/ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 03:43:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Worst Enemy hehe, I almost typed "Worst Enema" there. bleh. Anyhow, this song has some of the coolest lyrics I believe I've ever heard Them sing. The line about the "full bottle in front of me" reminds me of another song I heard long time ago, on the Dr. Demento show. It was called "Existential Blues" and the singer (I cna't remember his name) said the line: "I'd rather have this bottle in front of me...than a frontal lobotomy!" So now every time I hear YOWE (which, in the past 24 hours, has been a lot) I want to sing "full frontal lobotomy" instead. And I just love the line "after many glasses of work". I have to say that I love the strings throughout the album! And I too like SEXXY better on the CD than I did live. On the whole I just love this album, and I dont' care what anyone else says. You're entitled to your opinions, just let me keep mine. :) And just for Mr. Klaw, here's one of my many Emo .sigs. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the antidote. -- Emo Phillips ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: The Bells, the bells! Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 8:09:31 18000 Hmmm..... did anyone else mention yet the closeness or similarity of the chorus of people on The Bells Are Ringing sounding like the Hoovillians who lived in Hoovile in How The Grinch Stole Christmas? Well, they do. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: ThisICHY Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:01:28 -0400 (EDT) > >And heh, ICHY sounds like a Dial A Song! > > I must say, it's pretty damn hard to listen to. I think they should have > cleaned it up enough so that it gave the impression of sounding crappy, > without actually being so bad. The whole idea of ICHY is the novelty of the Edison 1898 cylindar effect. if they had polished this up it wouldn't have even sounded like it was recorded on the dang thing. It would have lost its charm. And what do you mean by clean it up so it gives the impression of sounding crappy without actually being so? Isn't that kinda like joining the purple brigade without your purple toupee, sailing the seas without Mr. Me, or flying to the (destination) moon without your spacesuit? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:26:03 +0000 Subject: The gods are sooo *cruel* Yesterday *I* wrote: > Subject: Factory Showroom > > I'm gonna buy it tonight after work and glue it into the CD player > in my car (kidding). Well, I bought FS and was cranking it as I drove to a friend's house. All through Exquisite Dead Guy, I was thinking, "what a great Halloween song." Well, it ended and Metal Detector started on a REAL LOUD note which blew a fuse in my CD player. Now I could deal with that (I have a service contract) but FS is STUCK IN MY CAR CD PLAYER!!!! ARRRRRRRGH!!!! Not only did I drive four hours to Jacksonville and only get to hear 4 songs, but now this happens. I am not going to tempt fate any more. If you need me, I will be locked in my bedroom lying on my bed in the dark with my eyes open, humming: Bah ba dop bop, bop bop be dop bop over and over again :P Sad, sad, sad, sad, why must I be sad?!? =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ David Lapides david@specs-usa.com ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:12:05 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: I HATE DOGS! Yesterday I got my copy of the new Elektra release 'Factory Showroom.' I must say that..... This album fuckin' rules! I didn't what I thought it would sound like, but to me it sounded exactly right. Post #6,457,983 on the event of Factory Showroom purchasing. Boba out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa "Call Out The Undertaker!" - ThEy MiGhT bE gIaNtS boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 10:22:38 -0400 From: "Ernest Borgnine, Secret Agent 007" Subject: Ok, two problems with FS. Got Factory Showroom yesterday... A little "too" funky for TMBG but still good... SEXXY is almost beck-ish. There are, however, two problems... The secret guest musician/producer #2???: Hal Cragin (of Mono Puff) Problem #2... No lyrics... this is the first time (other than "sun") that I've seend they do the no-lyrics in the box thing... IDisturbing... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:23:10 -0500 (CDT) From: james puellmann Subject: Re: The Bells, the bells! On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > Hmmm..... did anyone else mention yet the closeness or similarity of the > chorus of people on The Bells Are Ringing sounding like the Hoovillians > who lived in Hoovile in How The Grinch Stole Christmas? > Well, they do. Ijust needed to point something out so it wont be bothering me all day. THEY ARE NOT *HOOVILLIANS*! They are the *Whos* down in Whovile. (or maybe the *Hoos* down in Hoovile, I can't remember anyway. ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:31:27 -0400 Subject: Re: ThisICHY and the lyrics. >The whole idea of ICHY is the novelty of the Edison 1898 cylindar >effect. if they had polished this up it wouldn't have even sounded like >it was recorded on the dang thing. It would have lost its charm. I'm with you, Matt. Or wait. I was with you at the Edison Museum, Matt. I think if people are wondering about the sound quality on "I Can Hear You," it is important to remember that the charm of the song is the fact that it was extremely appropriate for the occasion. If anyone has questions about the recording session at Edison, I would recommend you go to the website, the URL of which I cannot remember right now. (Anyone? Anyone?) The whole thing was really neat, and it's even neater that TMBG decided to include it on the album. A wax cylinder was the state of the art about a hundred years ago. Let's keep this sound recording in perspective. The distortion of Flans's voice and of the instruments was all native to the medium. Love, Brooks, who would like to remind everyone of what I posted yesterday. The lyrics will be in the brand spankin' new and _improved_ Newsletter, which was mailed yesterday, according to all reliable sources. Unless something went wacko with the printers... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 96 11:35:09 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: factory showroom and the all gone! hey all! i went to wherehouse records yesterday as soon as i could to get the new They, and they were out!!! not only that, but they were all sold out of every single They disc in the place!!!!! i couldn't believe it, since whenever i mention They, i always get one of *those* looks. but, i went to new moon records, the little smoke-filled place that rarely has stuff like They, and they had a bunch of copies, yay!!! anyway, i can't help wondering *who* bought all the They! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:59:23 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: i'm not your broom >i'm sorry but i've been in a daze for the past week. could someone kindly >post the url where i can get "i'm not your broom". if it's on tmbg.com i If www.tmbg.com is hard to navigate right now, you can get broom.mov from my machine by FTP'ing to tmbg.reshall.umich.edu -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My computer (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ From: kate@unix.trilogy.net Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:10:41 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Ahhh...Factory Showroom! On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Queen Sneepy wrote: > I headed to the computer lab and downloaded "I Am Not Your Broom." Is everyone else;s kind of messed up > in the middle? Or just mine? yeah, my copy was screwed up too in the middle. good, i thought my computer was f-ed up. :) kate > > > ------------------------------ From: kate@unix.trilogy.net Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:01:14 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: More on FS (Sorry!) On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Queen Sneepy wrote: > I must say that the liner notes seem strangely empty without the lyrics. > > i agree totally. i feel like there was A LOT of empty space in the liner (although maybe i got a weird copy, i don't know) and that was space that COULD have been taken up by some lyrics. kate ------------------------------ From: kate@unix.trilogy.net Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:13:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: The Bells, the bells! On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > Hmmm..... did anyone else mention yet the closeness or similarity of the > chorus of people on The Bells Are Ringing sounding like the Hoovillians > who lived in Hoovile in How The Grinch Stole Christmas? > Well, they do. > YES!!!! THAT"S where it's from. i couldn't put my finger on it. thanks for clearing up the confusion. kate > ------------------------------ From: "Venus" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:32:37 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: Shameless Plug If anyone is interested, my new bootleg site is up, featuring TMBG! The URL is: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm It's really cool! Thanks, Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 08:51:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: lyrics to The Bells are Ringing Yay! I got my very own copy of FS yesterday!! (The last one left!) I was wondering if anyone could post the lyrics to The Bells are Ringing? I don't know if it's on tmbg.com, because I can't use the new webpage on my computer =( Thanks! =) Kylee ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:57:25 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: The Old and the New COry here again. I could easily give a big fat review of each song on FS (on which I love 13 of 14--did someone say "Pet Name?" Didn't think so.) All I will say is that this album is an improvement over JH in many ways regading the band sound. On JH, they were feeling out the full band way of playing, but with FS, they turned the sound back upon its creative spark (which I felt was lacking just a tad on JH.) FS is just such a fun album to listen to, though it's very different (i.e., SEXXY, which I still think is riproarious and fantabulicious.) Speaking of which, I'd like to say that the whole cross-gender-chromosome possibility of SEXXY does certainly make sense, considering I totally blanked out the line, "She wants to be your man." On the other hand, they've made references to women "being" men (Such as Out of JAil..."I could say ....she's the man in this cautionary tale.) Metaphor? Literal? You be the judge. But still, you can't deny the undercurrent of hormones flowing throwing SEXXY. One final thing: I've noticed that on most of their albums, they've had the theme of being led or falling under the grip of some evil force or oppressive element. "Kiss Me, Son of God," "I Should Be Allowed to Think", "Dirt Bike," "Dead (the line about the brother being the personal slave)", "Spiraling Shape," "The Bells Are Ringing," etc. Some of these I may be reading into more than is there, but you get the point. Comments? COry ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: lyrics Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:25:03 -0400 (EDT) Why is everyone so worried about lyrics not being on the sleeve? I mean all you have to do is listen to the songs and you can determine what the lyrics are! Is this really a big deal to anyone? -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Token Back Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:34:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Jeff Morrow: >But Token is not on Track Zero, regardless of a player's capabilities. It >is on Track 1. Technically, it's not on track 1; in fact, it's not on any track, as the location on the CD is not addressed in the track table. Thus, it would be most accurate to say it's "before track 1". But your point that you have to rewind, not "skip to previous track", is still valid. -CB, who is going to hack his cdplay utility under Linux to allow playing from an arbitrary redbook address so he can dub FS to tape properly. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Ahhh...Factory Showroom! Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:37:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Queen Sneepy: >By the way, kids, the lyrics in Spiraling Shape are NOT DIFFERENT! At >least, not on my copy- it was still the same as it was on the Brain Candy >soundtrack. Were they ever different? I think the point was that the printed lyrics (on the web page) have a couple different lines from the recorded versions (which as far as I can tell are identical; I'll check this out when I get a chance, perhaps by doing a bit-comparison on the actual audio data :) -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: This Car is protected by Viper Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:43:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Joshua Hall-Bachner: >BTW: did you notice that New York City is actually a *Mono Puff* song? Look >at the lineup; it's Flansburgh and the rest of Puff, evidently with no >Linnell or the rest of the band in evidence. That *would* explain why Mono >Puff has been playing it at their shows... I noticed this when I read the credits, but the question is: who's doing the chimes? I had assumed it was Linnell (via keyboard). obOAT: I can't find cub's "Come Out Come Out" at any of the large chain stores, but I don't want to pay an arm and three legs for something I'm not sure if I'll like. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Subject: address screwups Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:49:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts If anyone feels the need to reply to my previous replies, please zap the extra "@gold.tc.umn.edu" entries from the CC: list, as they were created due to my lack of proper quoting. Apologies all around. -CB ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:16:18 -0400 Subject: Re: More on FS (Sorry!) >>Token Back To Brooklen, though elusive, has been played, and boy, is it confusing. I can't understand a thing They say, but that's ok, because its a secret track and that makes it alright. << Really? Well I'll help you out: ~~~ The token back to Brooklyn fell between the grate, and we're just watching it sinking... The fare went up to one hundred dollars and we can never go home again... The toll* collector's drinking lighter fluid and says he'll tell our parents... Our feet start running at a furious pace, and we can't get away... ~~~ * sounds like "bill collector", but it's "toll collector" in the DAS version, "Get Away", and makes more sense. >>I'm also thinking that I want that wall paper featured in the liner notes,<< Hehe, my mom saw that, and she said "Uh oh, I can just see it now.." ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 14:10:33 -0400 From: Bob Plass Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: NYC Lyrics Hello all, Oooh! My favorite song in New York City (Lauren's favorite song is I Can Hear You) Here are the lyrics. Tom Hare yesterday mentioned "that one obscure word in New York City. . ." Well, I don't know which one that was - maybe in the list of places. If you're not from the Big Apple, maybe you might lose a word or two - here they are. ------------- NEW YORK CITY You called me last night on the telephone And I was glad to hear from you 'cause I was all alone You said "It's snowing, it's snowing! God, I hate this weather." And now I walk through blizzards just to get us back together. We met in the springtime at a rock-and-roll show It was on the Bowery when it was time to go We kissed on the subway in the middle of the night I held your hand, you held mine - it was the best night of my life. 'Cause everyone's your friend in New York City And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see But the best thing about New York City is you and me Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, Co-op City, Katz's and Tiffany's Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, The Empire State, where Dylan lived Coney Island and Times Square, Rockefeller Center Wish I were there You wrote me a letter just the other day [It] Said, "Springtime is coming soon so I thought you'd come to stay." I packed my stuff, got on the bus, I can't believe it's true I'm three days from New York City and I'm three days from you 'Cause everyone's my friend in New York City And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see But the best thing about New York City is you and me 'Cause everyone's my friend in New York City And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see But the best thing about New York City is you and me. -------------- P.S. if anyone is wondering where the heck or what the heck any of the places are listed in the list of places in this song, feel free to ask me. Lauren and I plan on going to all of the places and taking photographs of us kissing in front of each one of them (sorry to give you all cyber-cavities, we do stuff like this alot. Hee hee.). Eventually, I'll post them all on some web site somewhere so you non- Nuyorcahs can get some thrills (so to speak). Bob Plass ----------------------------- "My Metal Detector . . um . . is detecting metal all of the time" - - - Lauren, who needs the lyrics sheet!! Help!! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:16:20 -0400 Subject: just some stuff.. >>>I could name off Pearl Jam's Ten, Cracker's Kerosine Hat, Danzig (Don't >remember the album name)... Ten didn't have any hidden tracks to my knowledge...<< Without pulling out my copy, I believe I can safely say it's like the beginning of the first track...I think... Um...I put on my Brain Candy cd in my cd player, and FS in my parents' and played both Spiralling Shapes for that all around..dare I say.."sensurround" sound.. I don't know if it was my cd player, but FS couldn't keep up with the Brain Candy one. Hmm. Waaaaa!!! :( I downladed "I Am Not Your Broom" and stupid stupid AOL tells me "file could not bbe opened. apparently the aplication is out of memory." Oh it's just utter BS! I have a few programs I can't open because of this "not enough memory" shit, something's up with my computer. It's not even true. I have more than enough memory. So I was wondering, does anyone know how else I can open up QuickTime???? ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 14:36:44 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Until My Head Falls Off I've been listening to Factory Showroom, and this song strikes me as the best. In my opinion it's the perfect blend of 'Classic' TMBG and the John Henry full band sound. The "I'm not done talking yet" part really reminds me of NyQuil Driver for some reason. This should have been the single. I don't like S-E-X-X-Y. Is the who wrote/sings this song list updated yet? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 14:40:37 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: FS. What else?? > ...does everyone else's >copy not have lyrics printed? Just wonderin'. > > Oh, and I actually kinda liked the >singing saw on James K. Polk! Am I the only one? :) > >Raising my freak flag higher and higher, >--Tara Why weren't the lyrics included anyway? Only three songs had trademarked stuff in them, right? I like the singing saw, but I have not heard the old version of the song. (Now I can order it, though, from www.tmbg.com. Istanbul single, right? Of course right.) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: lyrics Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:17:33 -0500 (CDT) > Why is everyone so worried about lyrics not being on the sleeve? > I mean all you have to do is listen to the songs and you can determine > what the lyrics are! Is this really a big deal to anyone? Well, sometimes yes. Say, for instance, you're like me, where until you actually took a look at the lyrics to Road Movie, you thought the line was "Glass Suburban," rather than Glass of Bourbon..... Little things like that. Also, sometimes I really like just sitting down with the lyrics and reading along to the song... I'm much less likely to do that if I have to print out the lyrics from a web site or whatever.... Uh, um... Yeah. Anyway, that's just my $.02... Not really a big deal, but I just kind of like having the lyrics right there sometimes. -Anakin, who's waiting furiously for his copy of FS to arrive in the mail. May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by GODS / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Until My Head Falls Off Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:02:58 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Evan Chakroff: >Henry full band sound. The "I'm not done talking yet" part really reminds >me of NyQuil Driver for some reason. This should have been the single. I It probably should remind you more of "Thermostat". But I can't speak to your thought processes. >don't like S-E-X-X-Y. Is the who wrote/sings this song list updated yet? I updated it when I got my dub of the promo; I ask that people review it and let me know when I'm full of crap. :) Find it on the web at: http://umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt Speaking of which, Amy Allison, who sang "Something Grabbed Ahold of My Hand" on "Fingertips", allegedly did a voice sample on "XTC vs. Adam Ant", but I haven't noticed it yet. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 15:16:15 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Brooms, Horns, Strings, FS Numbered for your convienience! 1) I Am Not Your Broom: (This is what I was able to pick up from the .mov) Now, Broom you must now sweep for me The dust that (it?) fills my room No, John I will not sweep for you For I am not your broom What nonsense are you speaking, Broom My words you must obey Another life awaits me And I'm leaving you today (Read: Garble Crackle Garble) (Garble Crackle, I've got a feeling that there's another verse in there...) I've battled (Garble, Crackle) I am not your broom I am not your broom I've had enough I'm throwing off my chains of servitude I am not your broom I am not your broom No longer will I sweep for you For I am not your broom well, I wish there was a non-f'ed up copy of this. 2) Horns vs Strings Personally, I like the horns from JH better than the abundance of strings on FS (Maybe I'm biased cause I play a trombone/baritone, not strings. The strings really remind me of The Beatles.) 3) Factory Showroom Whoever said it seemed too short was right on. Even though it's longer than (some of) the other albums, it seems shorter cause it doesn't have as manny songs. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 15:53:51 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: boba, please email me Boba (Matthew Ondrey (sp?)), please email me about a trade. Thanks. Tucker (katie) ------------------------------ From: Kate Subject: What kind of music does TMBG play?? Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:38:51 -0400 hey, i was in school today listening to my new copy of FS (naturally), and the guy next to me at the computer asked what i was listening to. i said they might be giants, and he looked at me like i had 3 heads (as = opposed to the way most people usually look at me as having 2). so he = asked what kind of music they play. and i must say i was = dumbfounded. i sat there and stuttered for two minutes, and tried to = explain what kind of music they played, and finally i decided that i = just couldn't do it. i just thought that was a funny experience. if = anyone has any ideas of how to describe Their music, please let me know = so that i don't look like a fool in the future :) kate ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:11:31 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer and as I lean my head against the frosted shower stall, I see stuff through the glass that I don't recognize at all. Yes, just one of my favorite lines from the totally rockin, totally excelent, only occasionally crappy Factory showroom. Well OF COURSE till my head falls off is just the most fantabulously super-cool song ever. And I LIKE New York City, thankyou vey much. Did everyone know that the wierd space sounds on James K. Polk is someone playing a saw with a violin bow? Yep. Liam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 15:54:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Factory Showroom On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 bartush@calweb.com wrote: > My favorite song is definitely "The Bells Are Ringing" and since a few people have > shared their ideas about what this song means, I'll toss in my two cents. > > It seems as though they may be making another veiled reference to Pavlov's dog in this > song, as it seems to me to be about conditioning and conditioned behaviour. The > "Bells" in the song may not be literal bells, but rather Government, Advertising, > Religion, MTV, or any other driving force which promotes a "herd" mentality. The > people hear the bells and immediately know how to act and what to do, not because they > are thinking for themselves, but rather because they are told that is what is Right > (or "cool" or "moral" or whatever). Then, when one person refuses to follow the crowd > and actually think for herself, the rest of the "sheep" pull away her earplugs, so > that she, too, will act and think as everyone else, which is exactly what "The Bells" > would like. (This reminds me of a creepy scene from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" > when all of the pod-people realize that one woman-or man?-was actually not one of > them. They raise the cry and FORCE conformity on her.) yeah, i get somewhat the same impression. actually, it makes me think of the neo-pavlovian conditioning in aldous huxley's "brave new world" fs is sitting better with me than john henry and unsupervised did when i got them, not bad... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 16:01:52 -0500 From: kelly marks Subject: I just wanted to post > > I'm kind of new to this whole list thing, but sifting through two days > worth of postings has inspired me to jot off a few random thoughts > (although I guess I'm really typing, not jotting) First, yesterday > having been completely hellacious, I could not acquire my own personal > copy of FS until today. However, I've been making up for lost time by > listening to it over and over and over...I am deliriously happy :P > Although I'm an Apollo 18/ Lincoln fan, this one's really growing on > me. Secondly, somebody mentioned something about I Am Not Your Broom > being to the tune of Oh Susannah and someting else... my roomate and I > think it sounds alot like The Farmer in the Dell. You know the whole > part about the cheese standing alone? Hum it and see what you think. > Lastly, Are there any They fans out there who caught the Wake Forest > Show? I'm still crying myself to sleep over the cruel fates which kept > me from Winston Salem that night. If so, e-mail me any details, I fell > deprived. Ok, I'm done. I feel I have successfully completed my first > posting. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:02:53 -0500 (CDT) From: james puellmann Subject: having trouble with track 0? hi fellow secret track listeners Yesterday I got really excited when I put my FS cd in my player for the first time. I couldn't wait to hear the secret track, but when I tried rewinding from track1, my stereo wouldn't budge. *Imagine my pain!* But check this out: I FOUND A WAY TO HEAR TRACK 0 ON MY GOOFY MACHINE!!! I have a Magnavox, so I don't know if this will help anyone else out there but here goes. If you set your player to "repeat all" and wait for track 13 to end and hit the rewind button JUST as its going from 13 to 1, you can get it to play track 0! hope this helps some of you guys with bunk players BTW TBTB is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:13:53 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: Yet Another Factory Showroom review Hello. Here's my obligatory Factory Showroom review. First of all, I liked the album. It's easily better than John Henry. No contest there. It's a downer that no lyrics were included in the package, but I'll get over it in time. 1. TBTB : I don't think it's that great of a song, but since it's a secret song, you really can't complain. 1. S-E-X-X-Y : This really really shouldn't have been the single. This album has so many more radio-friendly songs than this. The only way I could think this was a neat song would be if it was a single b-side song. Then I'd think it was great and wonder why they left it off the album. 2. Till My Head Falls Off : Really good. Sounds like standard-ultracatchy TMBG rock. Should've been the single. 3. How Can I Sing Like a Girl : No comment. 4. Exquisite Dead Guy : This is a neat song. Reminds me of the days of olde. 5. Metal Detector : The greatest song of all time. Should've been the single. 6. New York City : This is a neat song. I think I'll look into cub. Should've been the single. 7. Your Own Worst Enemy : No comment. 8. XTC vs. Adam Ant : It's alright. I don't really consider this to be a standout track, despite the fact that it mentions the Beatles and my first name. 9. Spiraling Shape : The greatest song of all time. Should've been the single. I miss the other "l", though. 10. James K. Polk : It's alright. The singing saw is fun. 11. Pet Name : I like this one. The songwriting is not anything like "normal" TMBG, but it's good. The lyrics are neat. 12. I Can Hear You : I'm glad I live in a time when songs with recording quality this bad don't make it onto CDs. I like the song, though. Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to be treated to a studio take of this song as a b-side. 13. The Bells are Ringing : This is a very good song. I dig it. Should've been the single. I like this album and I'm hoping the S-E-X-X-Y single has b-sides that are of the quality of the Back to Skull b-sides. Take care, Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:01:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! Ben or Been here. I got _Factory Showroom_ yesterday (the album that should have Been called _Empire of the Empirical_) (!) and noticed that the track called "Spiraling Shape" sounds to my ear exactly like the They Might Be Giants track on the _Brain Candy_ soundtrack. The TMBG track on the _Brain Candy_ soundtrack is entitled "Spiralling Shape." [Note the additional "l".] Now, my dictionary makes these distinguishing remarks: "spiralling" is the esp. Brit. spelling "spiraling" I suppose is more Am. Stand. Whatever. Was this a faux pas? I did note consistency on the new CD--the product box with the track on it spells it also with one "l". Perhaps somewhere someone made a British booboo on _Brain Candy_. Who knows? **************************************** Also, who is "Mo' Funky Element"? Is this the code name for Rolf Conant? **************************************** "Precious and Few" has circled through my head all day. Not "Your Own Liverwurst Enema." **************************************** Personally, "SEXXY" is too much. It sounds too much like a self-conscious masterpiece to me, especially in comparison to the other tracks on the album. DOES ANYONE AGREE??? **************************************** And what's this about no lyrics, folks? TMBG, why not in the liner??? Okay, we can still get them via the Info Club, ... but !!! Anyone else disappointed? **************************************** I did fear a flop of a new album from them--however, I'm satisfied. **************************************** So my few notes for today are over. Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 16:13:22 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (John Galt) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-276 Okay, I think it's about time for my factory showroom review to find its place on the tmbg list:) I didn't write one yesterday for the simple reason that I was too busy doing homework and listening to FS of course! Someone mentioned that the guy they bought FS from was a real pain...I had a surprising experience when I bought mine...the guy was as much a tmbg freak as I! What a wonderful world! He just said something along the lines of: 'awesome cd, it's a real good listen.' Pretty swell. We talked about a couple of things, oh tannenbaum came up, and I made sure to tell him about the new boxed set planned on bar/none. Anyway, on to the Factory Showroom. I only speak of the tracks I like a lot. Several songs on the album aren't quite up to tmbg quality in my opinion. I think HCISLAG is okay, but just not as good as it could have been. Your own worst enemy & XTC vs. Adam Ant are just a little too straightforward for me...they lack that interesting quality that tmbg usually have. I'm just not sure about Pet Name...it isn't too bad, but seems to be missing something. It is listenable though. 1. S~E~X~X~Y. As I tapped the cd into place and pressed play, I wasn't prepared for the sound that enveloped the room. This is a smooth, funky song that does a lot for the album in my opinion, I think it is one of the few songs on Factory Showroom on which the johns^2 really made some stylistic headway. I think it is a very unique song for the giants, and I'm glad they did it. I also think it sounds much more streamlined and mainstream than most of their other stuff, but in a good way, i think. My rating (out of 10): 7 2. Till My Head Falls Off. My fav. track off the album, I was very impressed upon hearing it. It seems to have the basic sound of JH, but made more fun, and more accessable. The lyrics are swell, and the sounds happening:) Rating: 10 4. Exquisite Dead Guy. After seeing the lyrics for this one on the web, I thought I'd be really dissappointed, but the ba's rule! Very impressed with this one:) Rating: 7 5. Metal Detector. Does this song seem to anyone else like it has almost an 'aquatic' sound? Anyway, I think this is a major acheivement for new-age they might be giants, it is a giant step forward from anything on JH, it is a bit synthesized, it is integrated w/the full band, and it just rocks! Rating: 10 6. New York City. I am really partial to this song, I like it quite a bit. I think it works with the rest of the album, and that flans does a good vocal job with it. It's odd hearing such a non-twisted love song from the johns^2 though:) Rating: 8 9. Spiraling Shape. I'd not heard this until I bought the album. It is much more subtle than most tmbg stuff, I like it a lot! It starts out slowly, but gets better and better as it goes...very impressive:) Rating: 9 10. James K. Polk. This is just a great song. I myself like the singing saw...I think this version is about equal with the istanbul version. I also think it fits really well next to spiraling shape. Rating: 8 12. I Can Hear You is a pretty cool song. I would personally have prefered for Them to use it as the hidden track instead of token to brooklyn, because I think it throws off album continuity... It is the kind of thing that i'd like to have on the album, but I don't like it getting in the way of the more listenable songs. 13: The Bells Are Ringing. Excellent song, I think this is really groundbreaking for tmbg, like S-E-X-X-Y, it's a really interesting new sound that they've never checked out before. I'm impressed:) Rating: 9 Overall, I think the album is a solid follow-up to JH, and I think tmbg has expanded and gone into some really good directions. I think FS is more streamlined & accessable than JH was, and it's high points are better. It is missing a little of JH's variety, I wish they'd opted to include more tracks. Nathan Todd, aka tenman. Your guide to the Factory Showroom. *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>> "I swear -- by my life and my love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." -Ayn Rand ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:22:07 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: FS, of course.. Well, my first impression yesterday was very good, and it's done nothing but improved since then. I love every song, but I _really_ like 'Till My Head Falls Off, New York City (What can I say, it's so happy and free sounding!), The Bells are Ringing, Spiralling Shape, and Metal Detector. S-E-X-X-Y is ultra-groovy, and it's nice to see James K. Polk finally get what it deserves. I'm happy! Tour tour tour. | Alex@europa.com | www.europa.com/~alex | | BarenakedLadies PetShopBoys Erasure TheyMightBeGiants | "Because you dance to disco and you don't like rock.." -PetShopBoys ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:21:45 -0400 Subject: Re: the freak flag is up!!!! (and insanely long other stuff) In a message dated 96-10-08 23:29:35 EDT, you write: << CONSPIRACY- following the xmas theme (santas beard, careless santa also [sort of] we just go nuts and xmas cards) we've been speculateing on 2 other commom threads.. the first being the hotel detective saga... hell hotel (sort of) the 2 obvious ones and then pet name- "she worked in a hotel, magazine concession" makes you think... dont think i havent thought it.. << ANYway, the second and more insidious is JAMES! i mean, we've all wondered as to the reoccurence of Jim in welcome to the jungle and the guitar but then they go on to do songs about james k polk AND james ensore.. and as we all know jim in a nickname for none other then- JAMES! >> HEY,wanna know another WEIRD concidence??? A LOT of tmbg songs start with A !!!! for example, Ana ng, Aka driver, A self called nowhere, Absoloutly bills mood,Alienations for the rich,...All those!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!! yes, its sarcasm. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 17:16:35 -0500 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Subject: one quesiton: Where can I get that orange TMBG wallpaper? :) --=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-== Mitch Fishman e-mail: mitch@tmbg.org home page: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mfishman talk or cooltalk: mitch@isr1013.urh.uiuc.edu --=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:31:43 -0400 Subject: TTYD and TMBG From: tristanh@FreeMark.COM (Tristan D. Havelick) Hi, I just joined the list, and I was wondering.. what does the movie "That Thing You Do" have to do with TMBG??? Thanx, and I'll TTYL =- Subject: This is a very bad sign. I don't have anything from FS stuck in my head. Whenever I buy a new album and like it, I get at least one song stuck in my head (Unsupervised I hit my Head was there for a week). Instead, "Der Fuhrer's Face" by Spike Jones is there (heard it on the radio this morning, talk show host put it underneath Mark Fuhrman claming that he wasn not a racist). "We say HEIL! *pftttttbbbb* HEIL! *pftttbbb* right in the Fuhrer's face." Might it be that Spike Jones is a better artist, or is it that FS just isn't all that great? -Dawg, who's lips are numb from the "*pfttbb*'s today S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:55:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Oct-96 Spelling Shape Makes Me Go .. by Benjamin Hauck@freenet.c > Now, my dictionary makes these distinguishing remarks: > "spiralling" is the esp. Brit. spelling > "spiraling" I suppose is more Am. Stand. > > Whatever. Was this a faux pas? I did note consistency on the new CD--the > product box with the track on it spells it also with one "l". Perhaps > somewhere someone made a British booboo on _Brain Candy_. Who knows? It could be that FS is more of a US release and Brain Candy is more Canadian. I dunno, it's probable. -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:44:15 -0400 Subject: i am not your broom!!! whoo hoo! It worked this time!!!! I downloaded it from Netscape, and played it on AOL, and it worked! Quite a cute little movie. :) And yes, the middle of mine is screwed too. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:31:28 -0400 Subject: Re: an interesting post! From: tristanh@FreeMark.COM (Tristan D. Havelick) >hi all! i can't believe it, i'm posting again! >i had another cool thought the other day... >my friend and i were joking about a collection of rotted >heads (yes i'm sick, and it's great!) randomly, and i drew >the analogy between this collection and Princess >Langwidere's collection of heads (she changed them daily and >they all had different personalities) in the third Oz book >by Frank L. Baum, _Ozma of Oz_. she kept dorothy in her >tower because she liked dorothy's head and wanted it for her >collection once dorothy matured enough... anyway...i was >telling my friend about this and referred to langwidere's >collection of heads as the "hall of heads!!" i was amazed. i >suppose there really is no connection, but it's cool to >think about. i dont know how many of you know that frank l. >baum wrote more than the forst book, but i think there >are...sheesh, it's been too long since i read them but maybe >10 or so?? they're all great, and should definitely be read! > even though they may first appear childish, they are really > >very much more meant for adults...those of you who like to >read, check them out! thanks for reading! --fran{sburgh} Actually, the Oz series consists of about 25 books (5-6 or so by baum, others by his niece). Anyway Im willing to bet the scene in Oz inspired tmbg to write HOH. Return of Oz (Movie ver of books 2 & 3) came out 1987 (I think) and A18 came out in 1990. So, it is actually quite possible that it could be based around the Oz book.. If it was, it'd be pretty cool! =- Subject: singing what? This is something that has been bugging me since I first heard people talkng about it on the list, and I figured I'd know what they meant when I heard the song, but nooo.... Anyway, what the hell is a singing saw? I can obviously tell that this JKP sounds different from the other, older one, but I don't have the istanbul single so I can't tell very well exactly how. And I still don't know what that darn singing saw is! Thank you. -- "Get out of the car. Put down the phone. Take off that stupid looking hat you wear." -They Might Be Giants "They say I'm mental but I'm just confused"-The Eels Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 19:36:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: an interesting post! > > Actually, the Oz series consists of about 25 books (5-6 or so > by baum, others by his niece). Anyway Im willing to bet the > scene in Oz inspired tmbg to write HOH. Return of Oz (Movie > ver of books 2 & 3) came out 1987 (I think) and A18 came out > in 1990. So, it is actually quite possible that it could be > based around the Oz book.. If it was, it'd be pretty cool! > actually, i'm sure the original series by frank l. baum (which was all i was referring to...) is more than 5 or 6 books. i could name a few, and there are more, but i wont. i just wanted to point out that the scene in the movie with langwidere is rather misplaced/...i know it's a cool scene, maybe that's why they included it, but it didnt really belong in that movie...the movie in which they try to puck the ornaments in the gnome king's domain, etc. was not the same as _ozma of oz_. sorry to be picky, but i cant help it! misprepresentation in movies (esp. those based on books) annoys me at times. oh well. as to TMBG using that as a basis? that would be cool! i just hope they read the book, too :) --fransburgh ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 19:02:09 -0500 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Subject: NYC CHORDS!!!! Here ya go!!! + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 E E E E E E A B You called me last night on the telephone E E A B And I was glad to hear from you 'cause I was all alone E E A B You said "It's snowing, it's snowing! God, I hate this weather." E E A B Now I walk through blizzards just to get us back E E together. E E A B We met in the springtime at a rock-and-roll show E E A B It was on the Bowery when it was time to go E E A B We kissed on the subway in the middle of the night E E <----A B I held your hand, you held mine-it was the best night of E E my life. E B A B 'Cause everyone's your friend in New York City E G#m A B And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty A B-> E--> A The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see A B But the best thing about New York City is E B A B you and me E E E E A B Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, Co-op City, Katz's and Tiffany's E E A B Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, The Empire State, where Dylan lived E E A B Coney Island and Times Square, Rockefeller Center Wish E E E E I was there E E A B You wrote me a letter just the other day E E A B Said, "Springtime is coming soon so I thought you'd come to stay." E E A B I packed my stuff, was on the bus, I can't believe it's true E E A B I'm three days from New York City and I'm three days E E from you E B A B 'Cause everyone's my friend in New York City E G#m A B And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty A B-> E--> A The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see A B But the best thing about New York City is E B A B you and me E B A B 'Cause everyone's my friend in New York City E G#m A B And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty A B-> E--> A The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see A B But the best thing about New York City is E B A B you and me E B A B E B A B E B A B E B A B F C Bb C F C Bb C F#--------------------------------------------------- Chords by Mitch Fishman , Special Thanks to Bob Plass for the Lyrics!! ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: singing saw Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 20:38:12 -0400 (EDT) My friend who plays the double bass says that you play an actual saw with a bow (not the teeth side) and that it really screws up the saws but it can be done. I thought that was pretty wacky. -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:06:39 +0005 Subject: I am not your broom can someone tell me where on the site that it is? I found it the other day, but can't seem to find it again, I've looked everwhere. I really want to see it. or if anyone can send it to me, I'd love you forever.... ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:14:17 -0400 Subject: Only some related to Factory Showroom Hello 41- NO- This set sounds very close to the set they were supposed to play in Jax. I was close enough that when I got on my tiptoes, I could see over the monitors and see it. I didn't get a set list at this show, I forgot to mention. The security gave most of them out, and then accepted money from the people they gave it to. Huh!!! Bells- Whoever mentioned Christmas for this one had it right on, or at least I think so. I think it sounds like the Christmas music from The Grinch That Stole Christmas, I can belive that *you* think so too. Sexxy- I like this because they are trying something new and different, and trying to release it. I also am a big fan of Kurt Hoffman, and was happy to see him in there. Strings- I was thinking this too... I wonder if on the Factory Showroom tour they will have a bit of a string section with them and/or a horn section. I think it'd be groovy. Oh yeah- Could someone post the address to the jive translater if anyone still has it please? "Hey, there's this really great fist fight going on outisde" Mr. Flansburgh to the moshers. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 21:42:03 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TTYD and TMBG At 06:31 PM 10/9/96 -0400, you wrote: >Hi, I just joined the list, and I was wondering.. what does >the movie "That Thing You Do" have to do with TMBG??? >Thanx, and I'll TTYL (I just love semi-related topics, don't you?) But anyway, (There's gotta be someone who knows more about this than I do...) Mike Viola of the Candy Butchers (also of guitar,harmony vocals on Mono Puff stuff) composed/sung the main theme from that movie. (Note: I am probably wrong, if you know please clarify to those of us who don't) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 21:37:09 -0400 From: xAdam Darin Organization: Otters Subject: Re: Tryptophane Earthy Rock wrote: > > Hey people and Tom, > > >Sorry, but Tryptophane is definitely NOT on the Mono Puff EP. I only wish it > >were! I have only heard it once, then my friend threw the tape out the window > >and it sadly smashed onto the ground below. > > Hey, we must live in different countries or something, coz mine > definitely DOES have Tryptophane on it. Well, the original Hello club Mono Puff cd had Tryptophane on it, none of the new Mono Puff's i've seen have it on there. Tryptophane is, however, on the "Devil Went Down To Newport" single. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:45:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: This is not a Factory Showroom Review >I think maybe one reason for the difference is that when J & J write songs >now they're writing them for live musicians. The kind of complex drum >machine/synth stuff they used to write is not real feasable with live >musicians. On the flip side, there's a lot of stuff that they can do with live musicians that they never could back with the tape machine. Listen to the drums on TMHFA or Spiralling Shape, and see what I mean. >Eric is not a great musician, and unfortunately, it looks like he is now a >permanent member. For once, I have to agree. Eric is one of the few splotches on Factory Showroom that just really annoys me. Like Phil said, he doesn't just play guitar, he PLAAAAAAAAAAAYS guitar. > That reminds me! One of the roadies at the They Might Be Giants show >in Jax was wearing a black shirt with white letters that said >"They Might Be Dead". And on the back it had lots of little white writing >that I couldn't read. Anyone know anything about these? They were funny, up >until the point where Linnell got sick. . . My friend has one of these. Of course, he has like 20 million different TMBG shirts (the only one I know of that he *doesn't* have is the Big Purple Guy one.) They're fun. >Is token back to brooklynm not on some FS CDs? I bought mine >today and tried to search back (not track back) and it wouldn't >go past the first second of SEXXY. What is the deal? Is >this a big hoax? You have a crappy CD player, is all. It works fine on mine. >Mike did the lead vocals of the song for That Thing you Do, the >Tom Hanks film (the Candy Butchers wrote the song) and apparently >they put him way down on the list of credits and he hasn't >earned hardly anything off of it. Don & Mike were dissing him for that. >Then they said that he nor his management knew how to market themselves >and that if they were smart they'd make all of their songs like that >song. What the hell? Somebody please give me some way to contact these Don & Mike people so I can FLAME THE HELL OUT OF THEM. Of all the stupid half-baked moronic things I've heard... /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 21:49:25 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? >opposed to the way most people usually look at me as having 2). so he asked >what kind of music they play. and i must say i was dumbfounded. i sat there >and stuttered for two minutes, and tried to explain what kind of music they >played, and finally i decided that i just couldn't do it. i just thought that >was a funny experience. if anyone has any ideas of how to describe Their >music, please let me know so that i don't look like a fool in the future :) They play (and this is not meant in any way to be insulting,) Pop-Rock-Polka-Funk-Folk Music -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 21:56:55 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Only some related to Factory Showroom At 09:14 PM 10/9/96 -0400, ya' wrote, dig dis: >Hello 41- > >NO- Dis set sounds real close t'de set dey wuz supposed t'play in Jax. > ah' wuz close enough dat when ah' gots on mah' tiptoes, ah' could see ova' de >monito's and see it. ah' dun didn't git some set list at dis show, ah' fo'gots'ta >menshun. De security gave most uh dem out, and den accepted bre'd fum >de sucka's dey gave it to. Huh!!! > >Bells- Whoeva' menshuned Christmas fo' dis one had it right on, o' at least >I dink so. ah' dink it sounds likes de Christmas beat fum De Grinch Dat >Stole Christmas, ah' can belive dat *ya'* dink so's too. > >Sexxy- ah' likes dis cuz' dey are tryin' sump'n new and different, and >tryin' t'release it. ah' also am some big fan uh Kurt Hoffman, and wuz happy to >see him in dere. What it is, Mama! > >Strin's- ah' wuz dinkin' dis too... ah' wonda' if on de Facto'y Showroom >tour dey gots'ta some bit uh a chittlin' secshun wid dem and/o' some ho'n >secshun. ah' dink it'd be groovy. Slap mah fro! > >Oh yeah- Could someone post da damn address t'de JIBE translata' if anyone >still gots'ta it please? > >"Hey, dere's dis really great fist fight goin' on outisde" Mr. Ah be baaad... Flansburgh >to de moshers. > > Here you go: jive@ifi.unizh.ch -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 22:08:16 -0400 From: SENTINEL Subject: Factory Showroom (yeah, more of that) Well, I guess I have to jump on the bandwagon and write about what I thought about FS. Everyone's doing it. I don't want to be uncool. =) And I DO have quite a few things to say. First off, I didn't want to post my opinion earlier for a couple of reasons. First, even thought I had the album a week ago, it was, of course, taped of that crappy .RA attempt at a listening party. In various places it skipped. I liked it, but I was hoping CD-quality would make me more objective. I would have to say that, thought I liked it in bad quality, I wasn't at all impressed. Once I got it on CD, I was AMAZED. I'm kind of upset that people think that it's lost some of that "Giantsy Magic." I think it's all still there and kickin'. Sure, it's different, but they go through changes., Every musician does. You can't honestly say that Pink sounds like Flood, or Flood sounds like A18. I think it sounds much more like "original Giants" than JH does, that's for sure. I know I like it better than JH. I think I like it better than Pink and Flood, too, but I'm not sure. But I digress- My review- I guess I'll go song-by-song- SEXXY: I can see why it's the single. Mass market appeal. It doesn't appeal much to fans because it just doesn't seem familliar enough like TMBG should. Mass market however, will say "Cool, it's about sex, and it sounds like porno music" Until My Head Falls Off- I've really dug this song ever since I heard it on Modern Rock Live. I'd put it right up there with my faves. How Can I Sing Like A Girl- Sort of Blah. I like it, but not a lot. It just lacks something. I don't find myself singing it. Exquisite Dead Guy- I think it belongs on "Lincoln" personally, and, yes, that's a good thing. Metal Detector- I liked this song when I got the .wav of it so long ago. I love it now. The beginning just makes the song. Very catchy. Very good. New York City- I'm terribly impressed with this song. It's got cheezy, sappy lyrics and I love it. Upbeat, good happy music. Very natural for Them to cover. Your Own Worst Enemy- Great Lyrics. However, except for the hook ("the song they played.." it's not very catchy and the end really really cothers me. XTC vs Adam Ant- A fun song, but it sort of grates. Gets sort of annoying so I usually skip past it to get to.. Spiralling Shape- One of the best songs ever written by anyone. I've already told my band (I'm in a band..) that we must cover this song. James K. Polk- What can I say? I liked the old version better. I still like it, though, and the singing saw is a nice touch. Pet Name- Blah. I think it's the weakest song on the album. They've got many unreleased songs that should have replaced this one. I talk about those later. I Can Hear You- If it was longer, i'd hate it, but as it is, I like it. It's nifty in its own little way. It belongs. The Bells Are Ringing- another song I absolutely LOVE. I can't say enough good things about it. I find myself humming it. Token Back to Brooklyn- Good as a secret song. The only way I could see it being a normal song (listed and stuff) is if it were on a longer album. It's another Lincolnesque song. On the whole, however, I would have ditched Pet Name, XTC vs Adam Ant and SEXXY in favour of Sensurround, On the Drag, and They Got Lost. --Sensurround ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:33:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Peter Michael Yaeger Subject: yakaitis! From www.tmbg.com: >13. The Bells Are Ringing > > A song about the seductive appeal of social order (as opposed to >individual freedom), and an expression of the terrifying and exciting >power of propaganda. The part of the bells is sung by Amanda Homi. I just love this song, don't you guys? I mean, the seductive appeal of this song and Giants tunes in general actually created a bizarre social order of mindless followers on the internet. The real kicker is that many of these followers feel they are asserting their individual freedom (i.e. breaking free from social order) by assimilating into a society of people who like the same stuff they do, a society where they can act like everyone else. They are actually breaking free from one social order by joining another. Geez, what a great song. Peter. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 22:19:32 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Wallpaper Sorry to post so many times.. Oh well. About that groovy TMBG Wallpaper- If you can't have Real TMBG wallpaper, why not have TMBG Desktop Wallpaper? I anyone has a good color scanner, could they please scan it and post it (to ftp.tmbg.org or a web page) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:35:06 +1000 Yes, despite this day and age of Hubble telescopes in Space, it still takes TWO WEEKS for FS to come to Australia. Thank you everybody for those revues, but you have to imagine how frustrated I was when I called our local record store yesterday and was given the bad news. I still having trouble with the fact that They didn't come to Perth on They're last world tour. I'm moving now. 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:47:42 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: More on FS (Sorry!) On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: On Token: The more I listen to it, the clearer it becomes. When I first heard it, it sounded like some noise with the Johns speaking gibberish over it. I listen to it today, I'm like, Oh! Words!. It was an epiphany. I feel so close to Them now. :) > > >>I'm also thinking that I want that wall paper featured in the liner > notes,<< > Hehe, my mom saw that, and she said "Uh oh, I can just see it now.." > Can you imagine? That would be _the_ funkiest room. There could be great blue vinyl armchairs that would nicely set off the blue of the logo, and fishtanks and snacks, and great big speakers to go with the really cool stereo in which to blast Their tunes. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 22:22 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? so he = >asked what kind of music they play. and i must say i was = >dumbfounded. i sat there and stuttered for two minutes, and tried to = >explain what kind of music they played, and finally i decided that i = >just couldn't do it. I've had the very same problem. I've come to the conclusion that while other bands can be compared to TMBG, TMBG cannot be compared to other bands. It's just impossible. I usually say something stupid, like, "Well, they use the accordian a lot, and, um... well, you really have to hear them." Doesn't help much. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:44:10 -0400 Subject: DIAL A SONG the old dial a song is back!!! (if youve been calling a lot,which i have,since i live in the 718 area and it doesnt cost diddly doo for me!, you would know that they have been playing the same 5-10 songs over and over, and recently took a little break, where thered be no answer when youd call, most likely cause they were putting new songs on it). i just heard OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY!!! WELL im happy. "DUH,IM JORDAN. DUUUHUH" --my friend hansel ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TTYD and TMBG From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 21:16:16 EDT On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:31:43 -0400 tristanh@FreeMark.COM (Tristan D. Havelick) writes: >Hi, I just joined the list, and I was wondering.. what does >the movie "That Thing You Do" have to do with TMBG??? >Thanx, and I'll TTYL Well, Mr. John Flansburgh (TMBG Co-founder, of course) has a side-project called Mono Puff and within Mono Puff is a guy called Mike Viola (who I also think got shafted by having his credit "buried" [as in, the other band members had their names on the back of the cd] in the liner notes of Mono Puff even though he did the second largest amount of work on Mono Puff [backing vocals, guitar]). Mr. Mike Viola also has a band called the Candy Butchers, but that's not important. Anyway, Viola, did the real singing for TTYD, as you have heard... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:37:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Lambrakos You know that album Lincoln is pretty cool. I love the Pink album and Adore Apollo 18. MiscT is a soothing blend, and likewise, John Henry floats my boat. Flood asserts itself as a wonderful medley. God I love this stuff. { Just someone who finds it amusing to hear people giving all these apologies for writing about something, and then doing it anyway, (Jovial hipocrites and a wonderful bunch all) and deciding not to do it.} Will. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:36:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Can't get FS!!! Say, is anyone else on the list in Canada? I'm in Kitchener, Ontario and yesterday I went to 5 different record stores and no one had FS! Is this just in Kitchener, or all Canada or what? I didn't have time to go back today, but I'll check again tomorrow. One guy in a store said he guessed it was postponed until next Tuesday! Wouldn't that suck? If there's anyone else from around here who could get it, let me know and I'll be relieved. (I'm surprised if I's the only one from here.) -Sean. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 20:49:24 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: 'spensive showroom mine was 14.99.. (\__/) (o o) ----------.o0O--(__)--O0o.--------- | grefin@cyberhighway.net -><-| ----------------------------------- | | HAIL ERIS!! / /\ |_/\/ \ \ \ \ (_) (_) On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Amy/Seta wrote: > FS rules!!! :) i luv like, every song :) i was just wonderin how > much yers all costed? mine was $17.99 which came ta $19.43 with tax and > stuff...but i still luv it!!!! AmY > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:19:22 -0400 From: John Leigh Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? At 09:49 pm 10/9/96 -0400, Evan Chakroff wrote: >They play (and this is not meant in any way to be insulting,) > Pop-Rock-Polka-Funk-Folk Music This is not wrong, really, but the genre to which They belong can be identified more succinctly, and with less hyphens. They play *good* music. When saying this, be sure to do so with perhaps a slightly condescending air, a raised eyebrow, a slight curling of the lips, as though to express a vague shock that anyone could even ask such a question. Posting for the very first time ever John the Bastard ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:18:35 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Only some related to Factory Showroom On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Oh yeah- Could someone post the address to the jive translater if anyone > still has it please? > jive@ifi.unizh.edu *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:50:08 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Ahhh...Factory Showroom! On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Chris Bongaarts wrote: > I think the point was that the printed lyrics (on the web page) have a > couple different lines from the recorded versions (which as far as I > can tell are identical; I'll check this out when I get a chance, > perhaps by doing a bit-comparison on the actual audio data :) > > -CB > Ah, I stand corrected. I think I misunderstood the posts on it all, because when I listened to it, I thought, "Huh. It's not different at all! What ever were they talking about?" *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 19:01:36 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: big lists Why weren't the digests ever this long during the summer when I had nothing to do? I'm glad that most other people love FS as muchg as I do! Long live Exquisite Dead Guy! Sarah Cooke "Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought; have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself." --TMBG ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: I finally got FS, no review- thoughts...... Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:16:12 -0500 Well, after tricking my mom into thinking i wanted clothes, we went to madison.... I guess i kinda needed clothes, but not enough to go for an afternoon unless... Yup, musictown probably had it, and when i went there, it wasn't on the shelves |=-(. then i saw this guy unpacking boxes into piles of cd's on this cart. I say to him "I'm lookin for somethin' - it just came out yesterday- from They Might Be Giants, Fatory Showroom. He Ducked down and searched through the boxes then held it out inf front of me, with an odd happy look on his face. Then and i stand in line, i realize that the small group of kids from my school that i had ran into earlier were there too. So i hear "HEY! Wyatt, watcha gettin'? I twist my hand showing them the beautiful album cover and one of them (who appearenly watches timy toons) says "Cool, you like They Might Be Giants? Do ya got that song.......... [obvious, of course] Particle man?" "Yeah" "Cool man." And those kids were most of my own worst enemys. I don't like the thought that they are gonna think i like some cool joke band... Oh well... Also, during math class, to keep myself from sleep, i wrote "They Might Be Giants" in black pen all over my shoes... About FS, i had a copy, but for some reason the cd seems mch faster.. its weird... my heat rate dropped from the shock of the store possibly not having it and it still hasn't gotten faster, so everthing seems fast.... yeah.. _thats it_..... I love this album so much, and have never seen any song listings nearly as cool as the back of that cd....... I really hope someone can scan in a picture of that wallpaper - perfect web page/windows background (my windows background is my writng "they might be giants" with all sorts of neat bruses..... dot dot dot... uh-oh, better stop typing, my sever is upgrading lines in a few minutes... BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:52:58 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Their Broken Hearts You know, while listening to Pet Name, I was struck by the sheer amount of songs that express how one of Them has been dragged through the mud by a woman, or that tell of love gone horribly, horribly wrong. I mean, Pet Name, They'll Need A Crane, I'll Sink Manhatten, Ondine, Narrow Your Eyes, Don't Lets Start, Lucky Ball And Chain, Twisting, and maybe Santa's Beard. That's a lot of songs! I feel, really I do, for the poor Johns to have been so run around. I'd kind of like to know the story behind some of these-especially I'll Sink Manhatten-that's a great break-up song. Anyone else notice such trends? Beyond the Santa one, I guess. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! + Classification +OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 21:10:27 EDT On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:01:07 -0400 (EDT) Benjamin Hauck writes: > >Ben or Been here. Ruprecht or Me or Ike here. >The TMBG track on the _Brain Candy_ soundtrack is entitled "Spiralling >Shape." [Note the additional "l".] > >Now, my dictionary makes these distinguishing remarks: >"spiralling" is the esp. Brit. spelling >"spiraling" I suppose is more Am. Stand. > >Whatever. Was this a faux pas? I did note consistency on the new >CD--the >product box with the track on it spells it also with one "l". Perhaps >somewhere someone made a British booboo on _Brain Candy_. Who knows? Well, as far as I know, that sort of thing is still spelled with multiple consonants here in the states (billing, killing, thrilling, milling). The only changes you will get in spelling in any English aside from the U.S. are the following: realize (U.S.) realise (Elsewhere) center (U.S.) centre (Elsewhere) flavor (U.S) flavour (Elsewhere) SEXXY (U.S.) sexy (Elsewhere) I've gotten into the lousy habit of Canadian spelling thanks to my Canadian *friends* Mike Rose (flippy) and Alex Gershon (mrklaw), it's a damn good thing I have a spell check. On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:38:51 -0400 Kate writes: >if >anyone has any ideas of how to describe Their music, please let me know >so that i don't look like a fool in the future :) My drill for describing TMBG goes like this: Me: Well, they are classified as "alternative" Them: I like top 40 radio, I've never given music much thought Me: They are sort of in a class of their own. Them: Oh don't give me that. Me: They make, or at least used to make, unclassifiable music borrowing from all genre's of music... Them: Well, I've heard enough... (tries to run away) Me: But now they've got this band and they just sort of pick one sound at a time and use that! Them: No, really I've got to go! (attempt slip from my grasp) Me: In fact, I hate They Might Be Giants [1]! Them: Ok, um, bye, I'm getting a restraining order... OAT: Writing out "favourite" is a good way to piss of yearbook editors and honor society members... [1]This is not to say I actually hate TMBG, I just like saying it's kind of like that "Primus Sucks" thing... Um, nevermind... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:45:21 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Well, despite the fact that I've already posted twice on FS, here's another for you crazy kidsies. This time, however, I review the songs- now that I've had time to listen to the album-it's the day after I bought it, and already I feel I know it well-I've really formulated an opinion on the songs. Geez, this feels like a research paper- I'd give you a thesis statement, but I don't have one. I don't have thesis statements for the papers for class, much less for you people! What do you want from me? Sorry... :) 1. S~E~X~X~Y- I'm really coming to like this song. Although, whoever is speaking at the beginning sounds really like Barry White and that is kind of scary. Actually, I'll tell ya whats creepy about this song- the unrestrained libido that is not really seen in TMBG's previous songs. Why is this creepY? I don't know. 2. Till My Head Falls Off- This is like, the best song. I love how it details the paranoia and patheticness (word? I don't think so.) of a man who's life seems to be going down the drain (and since part of the song takes place in a bathroom, this metaphore is oddly appropriate.) I love the stanza about the lost notes and the audience being himself in the mirror. 3. How Can I Sing Like A Girl- Eh. This song is ok- it seems strangely Monopuff-ish to me though. 4. Exquisite Dead Guy- This song is a veritable hoot and a holler. Everything. I love it. 5. Metal Detector- This is definitely my New Favourite Song. I think it speaks to my soul. It tells me, "Go look for small metal objects in the sand on the beach!" 6. Your Own Worst Enemy- Cool song. I especially enjoy the cheesy synth "pop" noise that is so reminiscent of lame '70's groove love songs. 7. The Bells Are Ringing- This is competing with Metal Detector for my New Favourite Song. I understand this song, because whenever I hear bells, like from a distant church or something, I find them very compelling. I really liked this song when I heard it on DAS, and it is much better on CD. 8. XTC vs Adam Ant, James K. Polk, Pet Name, I Can Hear You- I agree with a lot of people that these would have made better single tracks than album tracks. Especially XTC v. AA, JKP, and ICHY-these songs scream "Single! Bonus Track!". Pet Name, in general, I just don't like. I mean, its ok, but it doesn't have that Giants feel to it. I think my parents would like this song. They wouldn't get Till My Head Falls Off. Overall, this whole album has this odd seventies flavour to it. I think its the synth. There, ther's my $.02! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Their Broken Hearts Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:11:17 -0500 (EST) > > You know, while listening to Pet Name, I was struck by the sheer amount > of songs that express how one of Them has been dragged through the mud by > a woman, or that tell of love gone horribly, horribly wrong. > Yes, but Pet Name is a POSITIVE song, not a tale of love gone down the toilet. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:17:54 -0400 From: Gautam Peri Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-276 To Chris: >Got the CD now, and this is right, though it's "feeling", not >"hitting". No...the version on tmbg.com is right, it's "hitting"...listen to it on headphones and you'll hear it better... >By the way, kids, the lyrics in Spiraling Shape are NOT DIFFERENT! At >least, not on my copy- it was still the same as it was on the Brain Candy >soundtrack. Were they ever different? Not only are they the same lyrics, it's the same recording. They never were different or anything, but the lyrics on www.tmbg.com don't match up with the album. just had to say my fave songs so far on FS are "Until My Head Falls Off," "Spiraling Shape," and "Pet Name." I know a lot of you don't like Pet Name because "it doesn't sound like They", but I really like it...(I'm a bass player so I'm a bit biased I guess)... +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I don't know what to believe, sometimes I even forget...And if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it..." -Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip in "Gift Shop" Gautam Peri, Economics (Yes, really), Rutgers University http://mars.superlink.net/peri +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:18:44 -0500 (EST) Stefanie Elliot writes: > 1. S~E~X~X~Y- I'm really coming to like this song. Although, whoever is > speaking at the beginning sounds really like Barry White That's Flans. I didn't make the Barry White connection - kinda cool. > Actually, I'll tell ya whats creepy about this song- the > unrestrained libido that is not really seen in TMBG's previous songs. I still don't see all of this horniness and unrestrained libido that people keep talking about. To me, it's just a simple song about a woman who is something that she's not. > Pet Name, in general, I just don't like. I > mean, its ok, but it doesn't have that Giants feel to it. I think my > parents would like this song. > Oh, are they Squeeze fans? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:06:02 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG dancin'! Hail everyone! So tonight my dorm had a Dorm Sing-a-Long, right? No fool I, I promptly whipped up a set of lyric sheets to WDTSS? and had us sing it, and it was rockin'. I mean, everyone liked it, even the previously non-fans. And then I had us sing Particle Man and Birdhouse (I had to stick to Flood because nobody knew the words to any other album), and you could just feel everyone liking it. And I had a bunch of people ask to borrow an album to dub it. Next week, at our Bathrobe Formal, I fully plan to put on Until My Head Falls Off. Remember how I said that I was greeted by indifference when I brought FS into my dorm? Well, that indifference is turning into a fairly steady stream of people poking their heads into my room and asking me, with big smiles on their faces, what I'm playing. The love is spreading in Thille Hall! Yippee! --nicole the wonder nerd who will raise her freak flag and never be alone (and who also got everyone singing and dancing to "King of Spain") *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole GCS/GL d?@ H++ s g+++ p?+ au--- a-- w++ v+++(*?) C++ L>++ N++ K+ W(--) M- !V -po+ Y+ t- !5 jx R G tv-- b+++ D-- B- e+ u++(*) h f+ !r n+ x? ------------------------------ Subject: Chords for FS songs Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:32:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts Here are the chords to a few songs on FS... NYC has already been posted so I won't repeat it. These are not in the "standard" chord format used on www.tmbg.org, but they should get those of you eager to play these songs going. -CB SEXXY: my notes say "B5 A5 C#5 D5" but I'm not sure how that translates to anything useful. Till My Head Falls Off: verses: C G F C G F Am C D Dm C G F bridge: G F G F chorus: C G F C F C G How Can I Sing Like A Girl: verses: dunno chorus: B E F# B E F# B E F# B E F# freak flag: D#m G#m E D#m G#m E F# E F# Exquisite Dead Guy: not sure of the chords, but the bass line goes: E C# A F# B A G# AB I Can Hear You: G D C D Bm C Bm C [fin, for now.] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NYC CHORDS!!!! Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:22:04 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Mitch Fishman: > E G#m A B > And everything looks beautiful when you're young and >pretty I have C#m instead of G#m in my notes, but I just put away my keyboard so i can't say. BTW to m@t: you're right, it's "hitting" in both cases on TMHFO. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:58:39 -0500 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Subject: fromal apology sorry about that last post of the file. I forgot this was a mailing list, not a newsgroup. Please accept this as my apology. I am dumb. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: The Old and the New Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:02:51 -0500 (EST) > they've made references to women "being" men (Such as Out of JAil..."I > could say ....she's the man in this cautionary tale.) Metaphor? Literal? > Being "the man" is an idiomatic expression, not a gender reference. m@t ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-277 ******************************