Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-278 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 278 Friday, 11 October 1996 Today's Topics: Re: More on FS (Sorry!) Re: yakaitis! Re: NYC CHORDS!!!! sir hand, or is it ma'am Boyhood Songwriting Duos = Greatness? Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? Re: Token Back British spelling Re: 'TSR update (late) sleep in the flowers Re: 'spensive showroom best buy sucks world that swings getting to -1.03 Reflections on tour, FS... FS/TMBG description & more head falling off into a glass suburban more rambling about S~E~X~X~Y Existential Blues Re: Their Broken Hearts sexxy johns Doh! (an' other schtuff.) Re: FS/TMBG description & more Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! Re: an interesting post! ICHY Sound Quality Re: settin' myself up for a disappointment Re: sleep in the flowers another lame tidbit Re: British spelling Re: 'spensive showroom another message from the eccentric Worlds Address The Umpteenth Elektra Blunder Re: more rambling about S~E~X~X~Y Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Re: Their Broken Hearts Giants sigs. Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Re: Their Broken Hearts Re: 'spensive showroom Re: ICHY Sound Quality Re: Only some related to Factory Showroom Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! + Classification +OAT Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-275 Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! + Classification +OAT Not so hot FS review... FS Wallpaper Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? TMBG rocks the HOUSE!!! HCISLAGirl? I am not your broom Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? Re: head falling off into a glass suburban Re: Their Broken Hearts FS Wallpaper!!! Re: Can't get FS!!! Re: Their Broken Hearts Sexxy and SEXXY Re: I am not your broom Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? The Bells Factory Showroom etc. the shame! Re: I am not your broom Re: Worst Enemy Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Re: an interesting post! (none) Re: Worst Enemy Re: Factory Showroom Re: I am not your broom Columbia show Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: More on FS (Sorry!) Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:00:39 -0500 (EST) > ~~~ > The token back to Brooklyn fell between the grate, ^^^^^ grating. > The toll* collector's drinking lighter fluid and says he'll tell our [...] > * sounds like "bill collector", but it's "toll collector" in the DAS version, > "Get Away", and makes more sense. > No, it is FARE collector in the DAS version. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: yakaitis! Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:21:55 -0500 (EST) Pete Yaeger (Roland) writes, (Re: The Ringing Of The Bells): > > I just love this song, don't you guys? I mean, the seductive appeal of > this song and Giants tunes in general actually created a bizarre social > order of mindless followers on the internet. > The real kicker is that many of these followers feel they are asserting > their individual freedom (i.e. breaking free from social order) by > assimilating into a society of people who like the same stuff they do, a > society where they can act like everyone else. They are actually breaking > free from one social order by joining another. > Geez, what a great song. > > Peter. > > Cheer up, Peter. Someday you'll have friends of your own to annoy. m@t (Well, maybe...) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:51:29 -0500 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Subject: Re: NYC CHORDS!!!! The musically gifted Chris Bongaarts wrote: > > In the immortal words of Mitch Fishman: > > > E G#m A B > > And everything looks beautiful when you're young and > >pretty > > I have C#m instead of G#m in my notes, but I just put away my keyboard > so i can't say. Woops. Okay, you're right. let the tomatoes fly. --=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-== Mitch Fishman e-mail: mitch@tmbg.org home page: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mfishman talk or cooltalk: mitch@isr1013.urh.uiuc.edu --=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:12:08 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: sir hand, or is it ma'am I was thinking about this a lot in the shower (no connection whatsoever) and came up with this S-E-X-X-Y interpretation. It has little to do with "gettin' it on" but bear with me. There she is Standing on the bed Cookie in one hand, wig on her head S-E-X-X-Y I took the bed and cookie lines to mean that the character is a young child, maybe 8 or so. His sex is XY (S-E-X-X-Y sex=XY.) He is wearing a wig, maybe his mother's or something, and decides for the first time that he wants to be a transvetite. Here, and throughout the song, he is referred to as "she." Unnoticed by few, very very few And that includes you Throughout the character's life, he doesn't do a very convincing job of it. That is, it is quite obvious to everyone that he's really a man, S-E-X-X-Y. One finger nail Across your back I don't know about this part, maybe this has something to do with gettin' it on? Maybe gettin' it on with the person who didn't notice him before ("that includes you"?) Baby's first gold tooth initials inscribed >=S-E-X-X-Y<= I thought this meant that the child (refered to as "baby") is now grown up, and enjoying financial successof some sort. You gotta understand, she wants to be your man She's got another plan "She's got another plan;" At this point, the character reconsiders her/his sexuality; he reevaluates his earlier decision that he wanted to be a transvestite. Perhaps this id due to his recent financial/business success. He decides that he doesn't want to be a transvestite anymore, and wants to be normal, "she wants to be your man." The line in the middle of the song Secret agent spy, come to see why This person is either a "secret agent spy" or just a reporter who comes to invesitgate/interview the main character after his/her recent buisiness endeavors. It is this investigation that makes him/her decide that he should lead a more normal life and leads to his reconsideration in the last part of the song. I think the secret agent is female; "she (the main character) wants to be *your* man." What do you think, Sirs? Man, my English teacher would be so proud of this. Sarah Cooke "Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought; have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself." --TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:54:10 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: Boyhood Songwriting Duos = Greatness? This is just a quick note regarding my realization that my three favorite music "machines" : the Beatles, TMBG, and Simon and Garfunkel, all started with two teenage fellows writing songs together. What a neat thing. Hooray! Adam batura@nccn.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 05:19:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? > This is not wrong, really, but the genre to which They belong can be > identified more succinctly, and with less hyphens. They play *good* music. > When saying this, be sure to do so with perhaps a slightly condescending > air, a raised eyebrow, a slight curling of the lips, as though to express a > vague shock that anyone could even ask such a question. > > Posting for the very first time ever > > John the Bastard > *gasp* Could Ruprecht have found his long-lost brother? J/k Rup, ya know I love you. Maybe our Wally experience will be more successful next week? Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Semi-Annual after-Christmas Sale. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 16:00:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Token Back On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Anakin Skywalker wrote: > Actually, I've heard that if you have a really cool CD player, you _can_ > go to track zero... Or if you have a really bad one like mine. Sometimes it freaks out and starts playing in the middle of track 0 somewhere. Weird. Unfortunately, I don't think the flaw in my CD player is going to help any with FS, because it's located at the negative end of track 1 and not at track 0. =) Kylee """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ) ( \ ) | Kylee Dickey: 5'3" : I'm the LWFAP! | / ) ) ( | 00083933@bigred.unl.edu | ( ( ( ) | she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org | ______________________ """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ` '__ | Email me for info about the Twin | \ TWIN PEAKS / \ | Peaks Quote of the Day list! | \ SHERIFF'S DEPT / ] """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" l _l___/ http://members.tripod.com/~ShortOne \__ __/ I have too much blood in my caffeine system! /_________\ ------------------------------ Subject: British spelling Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 9:15:57 EDT From: John Pletikapich >>Whatever. Was this a faux pas? I did note consistency on the new >>CD--the >>product box with the track on it spells it also with one "l". Perhaps >>somewhere someone made a British booboo on _Brain Candy_. Who knows? > > Well, as far as I know, that sort of thing is still spelled with >multiple consonants here in the states (billing, killing, thrilling, >milling). ... How about travelling (Brit) vs. traveling (US) ? In the U.S., we tend to double the final consonant on one-syllable words (eg, barred) and words whose final syllables are emphasized (eg, referred). We tend to leave alone words whose final syllables are not emphasized (eg, opened). Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. I can't speak to the rules of British English as I have not studied them. I do think it's odd that a British variant of programmer is programer. (Look it up in the dictionary.) That seems to go against any explanation I would have for spiraling vs. spiralling . We now return you to the scheduled broadcast... -- john ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:16:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: Re: 'TSR update (late) Sorry its 2 days late, but i'm in the middle of midterms. "What Bothers The Spaceman?" was played on my show this past Monday. Also, the station had a copy of the Candy Butchers album "Live at....." (forgot the rest of it). I played "Cupid Complained To Venus" and I thought it was real cool. Later, CraigW ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: sleep in the flowers Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:32:03 -0400 (EDT) As I listened to Sleeping in gthe Flowers this morning I thought about the line: I declare that I am England, you declare that I have drowned. Is this a cut at our English friends? And if England goes down so does Wales and Scotland! ;) Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:40:12 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: 'spensive showroom mine was $11.99 > From grefin@mailhost.cyberhighway.net Thu Oct 10 00:12:42 1996 > mine was 14.99.. > > On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Amy/Seta wrote: > > > FS rules!!! :) i luv like, every song :) i was just wonderin how > > much yers all costed? mine was $17.99 which came ta $19.43 with tax and > > stuff...but i still luv it!!!! AmY > > > ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:26:43 CST Subject: best buy sucks I had plans on Tuesday to go and get FS and they flopped. I was not happy, but I had plans to make up for it on Wednesday. So I got to BB on Wed. and IT WASN'T THERE. Iasked and they said."we should have it by tommorrow." You SHOULD have it by tommorrow? To hell with you! I left, empty handed and sad. Since I don't have a car, I'm going to have to find someone that does. In the mean time, I can't read the digest because of all the things I'm hearing about it. DAMN BEST BUY! I could order it from TMB Productions, but is it really worth spending $14 plus S+H for something that I'm not certain will arrive this YEAR? I think not. I have better chances hitchhiking to the nearest record store. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: world that swings Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:41:42 -0400 (EDT) I'm pondering taking a big sign that says 'Play a World that Swings (or one of those other SEXXY b-sides)!' as we've never heard these songs and I'm really interested. That song title sounds really cool too! I wonder what the chances are of them playing one of these? i called HMV and they said SEXXY was due out 2 weeks ago and they have no further info on it 8-( Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 11:04:05 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: getting to -1.03 hey, folks! for those who are still having trouble getting to -1.03 of track 1, you might try this: push play and pause it, then use the rewind button to get back to -1.03 (it's tricky, because on most CD players, if you go too far, it will set you back to 0.00 of track 1, but if you go to *about* -1.00 or so, it works). just a suggestion of what worked for me! :D peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:46:47 -0500 (CDT) From: harris james andrew Subject: Reflections on tour, FS... About Factory Showroom: I like it. It's no masterwork, but it's a lot better than JH. My main problems with JH were the length, the often conventional "alternative" sound of the whole thing (save some of songs, JH was pretty conventional), and the added pretentions and lack of fun about the whole thing. Maybe that was their serious album...I just wished it were a lot more fun and more on par with earlier stuff (My favorite TMBG is "Lincoln" by the way). FS is instantly catchy, occasionally crappy ("Pet Name" blows, in my opinion) but it IS fun. Most of the songs stick in my head and just won't leave. "Exquisite Dead Guy" and "Till my head falls off" are probably my favorites, but "Spiraling Shape", "New York City", "XTC..", and, well, the rest of the album sans "Pet Name" are really good too. It's nice to hear the quirkiness and fun factor back in their music. I wish there were accordions, but hey... Now on to something else... Hootie and the Blowfish suck. Why the hell are TMBG lowering themselves to being the glorified opening act of this bland, dull, stupid, overplayed band? Maybe some people on this list LIKE Hootie, but I've talked to several other TMBG-heads who agree with me. This tour is a BAD idea, and horrible booking. I'll willing to bet that most TMBG heads despise Hootie, and most Hootie fans aren't intelligent enough to understand TMBG. Hootie is such a horrid mainstream MTV manufactured Frat-boy band and TMBG are far too good to be on the same stage with them. If the tour comes to Chicago, I'll probably go, but will NOT watch the BLOWfish. Ick. TMBG sells out shows on their own, and don't need to tour with such a lousy, albeit widely popular, band. Hootie should be THEIR opening act. I'm off my rantbox now. (P.S...not meaning to start a flame war here...just stating my opinion on this TMBG-Hootie tour. The two bands are so dissimilar...I don't get it.) Jim Harris Lover of all that which is TMBG, but hater of all that which is overwrought, mainstream, bland, and stupid (Hootie!) ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:56:46 +0000 Subject: FS/TMBG description & more 1. FS cost me only $8.99!!!!! I shop at the *best* CD store in the world, Boogie Woogie (in Sarasota, FL) 2. It was a blown fuse that trapped FS in my car CD player. I replaced it and all is well in the world. 3. I don't even bother to describe They to people. I just tell them, " They are my favorite band and I'm not allowed to describe Them; You will just have to listen to Them." Then I drag them to the nearest CD player, and play a few selected songs. or if I think they would appreciated Them, I say, "Oh, you wouldn't like Them, but don't let me stop you from checking them out." Simple reverse psychology that works only on dumb people of those who *think* that they have "great" taste in music. Which they obviously don't if they don't know who They are. =P 4. It's really wierd, but as I listen to FS, a lot of the songs remind me of songs by other bands, but I have no idea which songs or which bands. Kinda like a twisted deja vu. Maybe I'm just going insane. 5. Does any one have any news on what was wrong with Linnell in Jax? I was at the show and was told he almost fainted. Did he have the Flu? Was it exhaustion? Is he better? Enquiring minds want to know. =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ David Lapides david@specs-usa.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:43:51 -0400 Subject: head falling off into a glass suburban Evan wrote this about Till My Head Falls Off: >The "I'm not done talking yet" part really reminds me of >NyQuil Driver for some reason. This should have been the >single. On the sticker that was on my cd's plastic wrap, it said: "featuring 'S-E-X-X-Y', 'New York City', and 'Till My Head Falls Off' " so I wonder if this means those are their future singles...? And Anakin wrote this: >Say, for instance, you're like me, where until you actually >took a look at the lyrics to Road Movie, you thought the line >was "Glass Suburban," rather than Glass of Bourbon..... It's Glass of Bourbon? Ooh, I never noticed that! I always thought it was glass suburban. Hmph. >Mr. Ah be baaad... Flansburgh Hehe, I like that one. :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:02:24 -0500 (CDT) From: james puellmann Subject: more rambling about S~E~X~X~Y Everyone on this list seems to have some opinion on S~E~X~X~Y's chromosome/gender meanings so here's mine: The lyrics, as written, contain the words, "you gotta understand/ she wants to be your man/..." But listen to what they *SAY*. I think what is actually *SUNG* is. "you gotta understand/ she wants to be *A* man/..." Give it another listen and I think you'll agree; this song is definitely about a girl/boy who wants to be a boy/girl thanks for letting me ramble James@MU ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:02:44 -0600 (CST) Subject: Existential Blues For anybody interested, T-Bone sang the song Existential Blues. "You ask so many questions, what answers should I choose." -T-Bone ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:22:03 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: Re: Their Broken Hearts >You know, while listening to Pet Name, I was struck by the sheer amount >of songs that express how one of Them has been dragged through the mud by >a woman, or that tell of love gone horribly, horribly wrong. I mean, Pet >Name, They'll Need A Crane, I'll Sink Manhatten, Ondine, Narrow Your >Eyes, Don't Lets Start, Lucky Ball And Chain, Twisting, and maybe Santa's >Beard. That's a lot of songs! I feel, really I do, for the poor Johns >to have been so run around. I'd kind of like to know the story behind >some of these-especially I'll Sink Manhatten-that's a great break-up >song. Anyone else notice such trends? Beyond the Santa one, I guess. I know a lady that went out with Linnell in high school. A good friend of mine is her nanny, down in Berkeley. I don't know if any of these songs were written about her or the relationship they shared, but she told me that he was pretty sad when she broke up with him. She told me some other stories that I don't presently have to patience to type out, but I'll share them with you all sometime. Take care, Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:44:05 -0400 Subject: sexxy johns I feel bad posting for a 3rd time, but I have a crappy modem, okay.. >I still don't see all of this horniness and unrestrained libido >that people keep talking about. To me, it's just a simple song >about a woman who is something that she's not. Just the "S-E-X.." part is enough... I don't know. I don't know. Maybe it's that feeling when you have your eye on someone for a long time, and suddenly see them all over someone in the hallway (this hasn't happened since grade 7, but still..), and you kinda feel really weird. It makes me shudder. The Johns are good guys. ;) I like 'em. A lot. And I don't like to see them all over someone in the hallway. :) And a misc. interp (and don't tell me to get my mind out of the gutter, okay!) is when he says "S-E-X-X-Y" he's spelling S-E-X, then it's rated X, Why? S-E-X, X, Y? Well, that was a dumb thought. TMBG songs are so wonderful. There's about 100+ interps for each song. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:43:45 -0400 Subject: Doh! (an' other schtuff.) Something just clicked yesterday (but I forgot to post it). Remember the insane James Polk reference in last week's Seinfeld, and how some of us figured it's just coincidence because of the lack of "K."? Whoa, I'm suprised no one mentioned yet the one link! Mista Maby! He does the bass for Seinfeld, right? So either that's the link, or it's more coincidence than we thought... SOmething I just feel like saying--With TMBG's seeming obsession with hotels and um..various deceased heads, I see that in a lot of works. Like Kids in the Hall, esp Bruce McCulloch..he has a recurring fascination with old people, futons, uh, oh and even made up names he'll reuse (Gorgenchuck..). And I suddenly realize you all could care less. Well that's fine. And as for FS, wow. Not a song I don't like. I've never been crazy about the James K. Polk song (please don't flame me!) but uh, I think my least favourite would be XTC vs. Adam Ant. And I actually like Pet Name. What's so bad about it? Someone said that the TMBPiano sound is new, hullo, are we forgetting "Dead"? ;) And Till My Head Falls Off, I think they could have made it uh..more oh....um..uh..lighter? I think the lyrics are cute, the music is too uh..heavy for it. I dunno. Just my opinion. You can barely understand what they're saying, it just doesn't come out and bite you on the nose, unless you're really focusing on it. And oh yeah, I was in the car yesterday, and S-E-X-X-Y came on the radio and to it's completion, my mom says "oh now I get it..it's about someone who had their sex changed, X-X-Y like talking about the chromosomes, right?" :) ~sarah, who's head finally fell off, because she's done. :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Subject: Re: FS/TMBG description & more Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 13:23:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of David K. Lapides: >4. It's really wierd, but as I listen to FS, a lot of the songs >remind me of songs by other bands, but I have no idea which songs or >which bands. Kinda like a twisted deja vu. Maybe I'm just going insane. "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" always makes me want to sing "Best Friend's Girl" by the Cars. As has been pointed out several times already, "Pet Name" might as well be a Squeeze song. New York City is a (1) cover (2) done mostly by Mono Puff. Also, I discovered while toying with "Till My Head Falls Off" yesterday that the chorus is very Bachesque (which is also not surprising as Bach is one of JL's fav artists.) -CB ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:03:02 +0100 (BST) Forwarded message: > From superuprecht@juno.com Thu Oct 10 06:12:31 1996 > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! + Classification +OAT > Message-ID: <19961009.183829.4535.0.superuprecht@juno.com> > References: > X-Mailer: Juno 1.15 > X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 1-18,22-28,31-43,45-46,48-53,55-56,58-64 > From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) > Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 21:10:27 EDT > > > Well, as far as I know, that sort of thing is still spelled with > multiple consonants here in the states (billing, killing, thrilling, > milling). The only changes you will get in spelling in any English aside > from the U.S. are the following: > > realize (U.S.) realise (Elsewhere) > center (U.S.) centre (Elsewhere) > flavor (U.S) flavour (Elsewhere) > SEXXY (U.S.) sexy (Elsewhere) C'mon!!! Don't give me that!!!! How about: Colour, grey, noradrenaline, sceptical, Chrimbo, zygomatic, traveller and lignocaine? (to mention a few: don't get me onto anatomy) And all those lovely OE's? Foetus, oesinophil, oestrogen, oesophagus, and oedema? Ok, so I may appear picky. But I'm still fond of my oe's... At least it gave me something to do in my lectures on disc glaucoma this morning! I speak a dying tongue. When others learn English, they quite rightly learn American English. So, they don't understand me. You lot don't understand me!! (persecution complex) Truly, one of the best things for me in being on this list is getting an insight into what is, for me, a completely foreign culture. I can honestly say I've learnt a lot...(which should frankly worry you) Nicola (who declares she is, and always will be, England.) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:04:44 -0500 (CDT) From: jeremy pokela Subject: Re: an interesting post! > Actually, the Oz series consists of about 25 books (5-6 or so > by baum, others by his niece). > =- Subject: ICHY Sound Quality I can Hear You would defeat it's own purpose if it were a clean recording. The lyrics to it just describe situations in which the sound quality sucks. Like a drive thru at Mcdonalds, an airplane phone, an apartment intercom, the crappy Viper car alarm sound sample, etc. It only makes sense that it sounds bad. I'm sure it was written especially for the wax recording, and TMBG had to choose instrumentation and tempo based upon the fidelity of the wax machine. It makes perfect sense the way it is on the CD. Perfect sense to me, anyway. Just my opinion. Doug Shannon Level Designer for an upcoming Star Wars Game LucasArts Entertainment Co. ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Re: settin' myself up for a disappointment Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:01:56 -0500 (CDT) Matthew Coon writes: > The thing that puzzles me, however, is that during > those following years, I never, ever saw an ID number attached to > my name on anything. I didn't either. It was around the Apollo 18 time that I noticed I now had a ID number. I think you're right, Matt. -- John Iacoletti IBM RS/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation I like the original "James K. Polk" better! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 22:39:54 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: Re: sleep in the flowers On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:32:03 -0400 (EDT) Matthew James wrote: > From: Matthew James > Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:32:03 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: sleep in the flowers > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > As I listened to Sleeping in gthe Flowers this morning I thought > about the line: > I declare that I am England, > you declare that I have drowned. > > Is this a cut at our English friends? And if England goes down so does > Wales and Scotland! ;) > Matt > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James > polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > "Cracking toast, Gromit!" > New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com Well, I'm a bit new to this mailing thing and am probably committing all kinds of social suicide BUT none the less, I fell that I should mention at this point that tmbg would not dare to say anything vaguely derogotory about us fine English types (wales and scotland however is a different matter) I also am interested inpeople who might consider j&j to be a version of santa claus for everyone to relate to........................................? chrissy x ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:38:49 -0500 (CDT) From: james puellmann Subject: another lame tidbit anybody out there notice that the synth part in NYC sounds like something from a really typical 80's movie. I just had some really severe "Footloose" flashbacks. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 22:47:02 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: Re: British spelling a faux pas??????????? This is a social blunder, a carbuncle on modern ettiquette or simply failing to recognise your own conscience as the anticipation of the opinions of others.............some might say, chrissy x ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:02:53 -0400 Subject: Re: 'spensive showroom sam goodys was MY only hope, so therefore it was 18. something. oh well,its worth it ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 22:42:44 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: another message from the eccentric FS is not yet available in this fine country and I am finding it intriguing if not a little depressing hearing all about before I can fully appreciate it's contribution to a declining island just floating into harbours...............................does anyone know when it might be available here.percance? chrissy x ------------------------------ From: "Tim Lloyd" Subject: Worlds Address Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:21:44 -0500 My friend Molly tells me that on the Misc. T remix of The World's Address, there's some talking at the beginning that she thinks sounds like Dave Foley of Kids in the Hall. Any opinions (especially Sara KidsInThHal@aol.com)? Tim Lloyd tlloyd@top.net Omaha, NE, USA http://www.top.net/tlloyd "You only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:38:49 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: The Umpteenth Elektra Blunder Hey everyone. Here to report another big ol' goofup from the good folks at Elektra. has anyone taken a gander at TMBG's discography on their Elektra commercial site? I checked out FS there (of course), and guess which album's titles are listed under the big shiny picture of the FS cover? The titles from John Henry! (No lyrics there, though.) I thought that was mighty odd, considering the intro section to Their Elektra site was a copy of the descriptions of all the FS songs that also appears on their own official web site. I wonder. Cory ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: more rambling about S~E~X~X~Y Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:46:52 -0500 (EST) > > The lyrics, as written, contain the words, "you gotta understand/ she > wants to be your man/..." > > But listen to what they *SAY*. > I think what is actually *SUNG* is. "you gotta understand/ she wants to be > *A* man/..." > Nope, I still hear the former version. He doesn't really pronounce the terminal [r] sound very strongly, so it comes out rather like "be yo' man..." m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:05:47 -0500 (EST) > Stefanie says: > Well, Flans in the beginning, which I finally understood when I listened > to it on my walkman, talks about stuff that sounds pretty libido to me. > I can't remember what it says though. Maybe it just reminds me too much > of Barry White. "Dressed only in clothes From her head to her toes, This is the way The talking part goes..." Kinda silly, but not exactly drenched in libido... > > > Pet Name, in general, I just don't like. I > > > mean, its ok, but it doesn't have that Giants feel to it. I think my > > > parents would like this song. > > > > > > > Oh, are they Squeeze fans? > > Squeeze? What does that have to do with anything? > > Sigh. This was a thinly veiled statement to the effect that I find the song to sound very Squeeze-like. (I had to vowed to keep making that statement until somebody finally responded to it. Chris Bongaarts has, and I think he has politely told me to stop it:-) m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Their Broken Hearts Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:40:11 -0500 (EST) Stefanie says: > I wrote: > > Yes, but Pet Name is a POSITIVE song, not a tale of love gone down the > >toilet. > > > > > Is it though? Because the chorus goes something like, "You just forgot > your one pet name for me, and all the promises you made". That sounds > like bad business to me. > Yes, but the very next line is "and that's a LUCKY THING, because that sentimental stuff doesn't suit you at all." That's the hook of the song really: it sounds dire, but he's actually happy about it. Two people are figuring out how they'll "get along," and during this time she has (uncharacteristically) given him a pet name (which is not to say he liked it). He's glad to see that phase of the relationship fade. (As for "all those promises you said you'd keep," maybe they're finally getting real with each other, or maybe she's just forgetful...?) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:03:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Court Schuett Subject: Giants sigs. My friend wrote (mostly borrowed someone elses) code for UNIX. It takes a sig from a huge list of sigs and makes it your sig for that logon. I have complied a huge list of Giants sigs, like the one below. If anybody with a shell account would like a copy of this program and the Giants list database email me. Be happy to give it to you. :) Thanks and Later -Court /* Court Schuett schuett@waldo.ivcc.edu ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If I were a carpenter I'd Hammer on my piglet, I'd Collect the seven dollars and I'd Buy a big prosthetic forehead And wear it on my real head -They Might Be Giants *******************************************************************************/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:20:17 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) >8. XTC vs Adam Ant, James K. Polk, Pet Name, I Can Hear You- I agree >with a lot of people that these would have made better single tracks than >album tracks. Especially XTC v. AA, JKP, and ICHY-these songs scream >"Single! Bonus Track!". Pet Name, in general, I just don't like. I >mean, its ok, but it doesn't have that Giants feel to it. I think my >parents would like this song. They wouldn't get Till My Head Falls Off. I Can Hear You as a Single?!? A bonus track, sure, but a SINGLE?!? Sorry, it just doesn't seem to me that the mainstream would really go for a short song, preformed by an acoustic band on an 1898 wax cylinder... (now UMHFO... that would make a good single...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:42:42 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Their Broken Hearts On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > > > You know, while listening to Pet Name, I was struck by the sheer amount > > of songs that express how one of Them has been dragged through the mud by > > a woman, or that tell of love gone horribly, horribly wrong. > > > > Yes, but Pet Name is a POSITIVE song, not a tale of love gone down the toilet. > > Is it though? Because the chorus goes something like, "You just forgot your one pet name for me, and all the promises you made". That sounds like bad business to me. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:26:31 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: 'spensive showroom At 09:40 AM 10/10/96 -0400, you wrote: >mine was $11.99 >> From grefin@mailhost.cyberhighway.net Thu Oct 10 00:12:42 1996 >> mine was 14.99.. >> On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Amy/Seta wrote: >> > much yers all costed? mine was $17.99 which came ta $19.43 with tax and >> > stuff...but i still luv it!!!! AmY Helping a new thread: Mine was 15.99 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:04:12 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: ICHY Sound Quality grefin@cyberhighway.net On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Doug Shannon wrote: > > I can Hear You would defeat it's own purpose if it were a clean > recording. The lyrics to it just describe situations in which the sound > quality sucks. Like a drive thru at Mcdonalds, an airplane phone, an > apartment intercom, the crappy Viper car alarm sound sample, etc. It only > makes sense that it sounds bad. I'm sure it was written especially for > the wax recording, and TMBG had to choose instrumentation and tempo based > upon the fidelity of the wax machine. It makes perfect sense the way it > is on the CD. Perfect sense to me, anyway. Just my opinion. > > Doug Shannon > Level Designer for an upcoming Star Wars Game > LucasArts Entertainment Co. > yes in fact it was a performance song based soley on the drum and it's limitatiions. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Only some related to Factory Showroom From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:55:26 EDT On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:14:17 -0400 NitpickR@aol.com writes: >Sexxy- I like this because they are trying something new and different, and >trying to release it. I also am a big fan of Kurt Hoffman, and was happy to >see him in there. SEXXY is perhaps something interesting, but it is no way new. They borrow generally from either Funk or Disco, which is not too difficult a combination, or a very distinct one for that matter... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:45:57 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > Actually, I'll tell ya whats creepy about this song- the > > unrestrained libido that is not really seen in TMBG's previous songs. > > I still don't see all of this horniness and unrestrained libido that > people keep talking about. To me, it's just a simple song about a > woman who is something that she's not. > Well, Flans in the beginning, which I finally understood when I listened to it on my walkman, talks about stuff that sounds pretty libido to me. I can't remember what it says though. Maybe it just reminds me too much of Barry White. > > > Pet Name, in general, I just don't like. I > > mean, its ok, but it doesn't have that Giants feel to it. I think my > > parents would like this song. > > > > Oh, are they Squeeze fans? Squeeze? What does that have to do with anything? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:59:05 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! + Classification +OAT >>The TMBG track on the _Brain Candy_ soundtrack is entitled "Spiralling >>Shape." [Note the additional "l".] >> >>Now, my dictionary makes these distinguishing remarks: >>"spiralling" is the esp. Brit. spelling >>"spiraling" I suppose is more Am. Stand. >> >>Whatever. Was this a faux pas? I did note consistency on the new >>CD--the >>product box with the track on it spells it also with one "l". Perhaps >>somewhere someone made a British booboo on _Brain Candy_. Who knows? > > Well, as far as I know, that sort of thing is still spelled with >multiple consonants here in the states (billing, killing, thrilling, >milling). If you will notice: Bill ==> Billing Kill ==> Killing Thrill ==> Thrilling Mill ==> Milling And: Spiral ==> Spiraling (if you're not so quick to catch my point take note of the lack of two "L"s in the word Spiral) -e- -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:42:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-275 On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Gautam Peri wrote: > >These are the ways I've seen Elektra spelled today: > >Electra > >Elektra > >Elextra > >Bar/None > hahah...I happen to agree with you, except I don't have a particularly high > opinion of Elektra so I think they deserved to be misspelled. :) Yes, Elektra deserves to be misspelled... But Bar/None absolutely does not deserve to be mistaken for the devil-spawned record company known as Elektra. =( =) Kylee ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:19:39 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? Spake Kate: >i sat there and stuttered for two minutes, and tried to = >explain what kind of music they played, and finally i decided that i = >just couldn't do it. i just thought that was a funny experience. if = >anyone has any ideas of how to describe Their music, please let me know = >so that i don't look like a fool in the future :) I have this problem a lot myself. TMBG are classified "Alternative" at most music stores, but these days "Alternative" means "Green Day". So that's out. The best description (and a woefully inadequate one at that) that I've found comes from a Canadian reviewer, who used the phrase "wit pop". I like that, but they aren't just pop either. Try "Beautiful melodies, with a bit of every other music style thrown in, and lyrics both weird and deep." Hmm... that's not quite right. On a side note (har!) I just downloaded I Am Not Your Broom. You know you're an insane Gianthead when you spend half an hour downloading a movie and a quicktime player, all to play a thirty-second long movie, and IT'S WORTH IT. IANYB is a trip. :) --nnicole the wonder nerd is the poison you love. *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole GCS/GL d?@ H++ s g+++ p?+ au--- a-- w++ v+++(*?) C++ L>++ N++ K+ W(--) M- !V -po+ Y+ t- !5 jx R G tv-- b+++ D-- B- e+ u++(*) h f+ !r n+ x? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:17:03 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > I Can Hear You as a Single?!? A bonus track, sure, but a SINGLE?!? Sorry, > it just doesn't seem to me that the mainstream would really go for a short > song, preformed by an acoustic band on an 1898 wax cylinder... (now > UMHFO... that would make a good single...) I didn't mean single single- I meant the songs that usually accompany a single- I guess that means a bonus track. Songs like Ondine, Mrs. Train, the original JKP, etc. Sorry for the mix-up! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:31:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: Spelling Shape Makes Me Go INSANE!!! + Classification +OAT about the spelling of spiral(l)ing shape... BOTH are correct...so stop worrying about it. (my dictionary, which is my best friend, says spiral : -raled OR -ralled (-raling OR ralling)). maybe TMBG were smart enough to look it up and discover this...hence, BOTH usages...? ...fransburgh...queen of the spelling bee. (queen spelling bee?) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:06:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: Not so hot FS review... OK. I bought FS of course...and have listened to it many many times. I am quite perplexed by it. I don't think I will get all my thoughts out in this post but let me say a couple things. The Linnell songs gives me the chills they are sooo good. I love them sooo much, I can see a lot of growth in Linnell's musical style and they are just amazing. The Flans songs...some sound a lot like Mono Puff, I am not crazy about Mono Puff, they just....they aren't TMBG! They sound really cool...I mean I like them more than any other music I listen to...but I like the Linnell songs (in general) so much more. I see this as more disconnected from the TMBG style of music than JH, I personally like John Henry a lot, and I love the earlier albums. Maybe it was all the build up, or the only 13 songs, or the elektra controversy...but that is how it feels to me. This just sounds like something is not right... I like it, but it just...I dunno... Another thing is that I don't know the real reasons for the 13 songs and whether elektra really is trying to make them more accessible with songs like S-E-X-X-Y. If I knew for sure that the John's made all the decisions on this album and really love how it turned out than I would be able to accept it more. I just have this funny feeling that if they were totally in control it would have been a bit different. Well, that's it for now. Don't get me wrong...I like it more each time I listen to it. Maybe in a week I will post that I was crazy and that it is the best album ever, but I would give anything to hear a song with Linnell playing the accordian and singing, and Flans playing guitar and harmonizing. I don't care what they would be singing!! It is that TMBG sound I am missing a bit.... Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:17:51 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: FS Wallpaper At school today I scanned in the FS notes and cut out some of the wallpaper. I'll post it to my webpage or something and tell everyone where to get it. It'll be in gif or jpg format, if you don't know how to get it as your wallpaper, then you don't deserve to have a computer (no offense to those of you who don't know how...) PS - Does anyone know the ALT-### for that upside-down E thing? (I forget what its called) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:20:01 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? I don't bother with any kind of deep explanation. I just tell them either, "It's weird, but cool, I thing it's your kind of gig," or "It's strange, but cool, but you wouldn't understand it you monkey!" -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:02:04 -0500 From: "//R@sCaL\\\\" Subject: TMBG rocks the HOUSE!!! The almighty //R@sCaL\\ wants to say: I figured out most of the chords to most of the songs but the only one I can find written down or on the list is PET NAME: Verses: A Bm D Bm PreChours: A G Bm(throw in a F# if you wanna) F G Chorus: (A C#7 D) twice the Bm & D on the way out. --------FS-Rules!....but 1) WE WANT LYRICS!!!!!!!!!!!! 2) Its kinda short (# of songs wise) 3) WE STILL WANT LYRICS!!!!!!!!! 4) Still waiting for the reapearance of Rabid Child 5) Too much Distortion, its sounding almost (*gasp*) alternative 6) Just Checkin, yep, WE STILL WANT LYRICS!!!!!!! 7) Nothin else I guess ---FS still rocks the house and is still an incredibly kick-ass album! S-E-X-X-Y is way too cool, its the offical 'pimp' song at our school Oh well "Till my Head Falls off" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a new TMBG page is in the work complete w/java & possible CGI scripts ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:05:37 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: HCISLAGirl? I haven't reviewed FS yet, and I don't plan on doing it in this post, but I did want to say something about two of the songs on the CD. Personally, I really like FS, but some versions of the songs I thought were better in concert. HCISLAGirl for instance--in concert John used a really high voice to sing the song--and I thought that it was funny and a really good song at the same time. I don't know why people don't like Pet Name. I really like the song--but I can't figure out why. I'll save my reviews of some of the other songs for another post. :) Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:05:34 -0700 From: Ray Mootrey Organization: Ingredient Supply Co Inc Subject: I am not your broom This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------4DA72385AB4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Say, what kind of program do you need to play .mov files (like I am not your broom)? Do I probably already have this .mov-playin' program and just don't know what it is? Is it something I can download? Maybe someone can help me. (BTW, please respond to TMBG-list, and not just me personally, so I will get the answer, because this here address I'm sending from now is not my usual e-mail!) -Sean Mootrey. --------------4DA72385AB4 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit THE BIG STEAMY THING

--------------4DA72385AB4-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:03:49 -0400 Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? From: tristanh@FreeMark.COM (Tristan D. Havelick) >They play (and this is not meant in any way to be >insulting,) > Pop-Rock-Polka-Funk-Folk Music > You MUST include Jazz. Look at Lie Still... hmm.... I think that should take care of it. =- Subject: Re: head falling off into a glass suburban At 11:43 AM 10/10/96 -0400, you wrote: >Evan wrote this about Till My Head Falls Off: >>The "I'm not done talking yet" part really reminds me of >>NyQuil Driver for some reason. This should have been the >>single. >On the sticker that was on my cd's plastic wrap, it said: "featuring >'S-E-X-X-Y', 'New York City', and 'Till My Head Falls Off' " so I wonder if >this means those are their future singles...? That's what the sticker said on mine too (of course, why would it be any different?). NYC and Till My Head Falls Off would make great single IMO >>Mr. Ah be baaad... Flansburgh >Hehe, I like that one. :) Gotta love that jive address... -e- -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:26:53 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Their Broken Hearts On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Adam Kline wrote: > > I know a lady that went out with Linnell in high school. A good friend of > mine is her nanny, down in Berkeley. I don't know if any of these songs > were written about her or the relationship they shared, but she told me > that he was pretty sad when she broke up with him. She told me some other > stories that I don't presently have to patience to type out, but I'll share > them with you all sometime. Take care, > That's an interesting thing to know. I think I'd be a little uncomfortable hearing stories about Linnell's troubled private life, but thanks for the offer! Some of those songs are by Linnell- like I'll Sink Manhatten...(right? Or is it Flans? Sounds like Linnell.) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:54:16 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: FS Wallpaper!!! get the FS Wallpaper at http://www.geocities.com/soho/4545/tmbg.html and visit my main page! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:03:44 -0400 Subject: Re: Can't get FS!!! From: tristanh@FreeMark.COM (Tristan D. Havelick) >Say, is anyone else on the list in Canada? I'm in Kitchener, >Ontario and yesterday I went to 5 different record stores >and no one had FS! Is this just in Kitchener, or all Canada >or what? If All else fails, order it from tmbg.com Ah, the wonders of the Internet. Burn a hole in yer poket with GOOD stuff without ever leaving the sound of TMBG. =- Subject: Re: Their Broken Hearts On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > Yes, but the very next line is "and that's a LUCKY THING, because that > sentimental stuff doesn't suit you at all." > > That's the hook of the song really: it sounds dire, but he's actually > happy about it. Two people are figuring out how they'll "get along," > and during this time she has (uncharacteristically) given him a pet > name (which is not to say he liked it). > > He's glad to see that phase of the relationship fade. > > (As for "all those promises you said you'd keep," maybe they're finally > getting real with each other, or maybe she's just forgetful...?) > I wrote that earlier statement last night, before I had put the copy in my walkman and played it, actually hearing the lyrics. I think its kind of hard to tell what he means, but I see your point. I couldn't hear "that's a lucky thing," and was going on the "all those promises you said you'd keep." Actually, now that I've listened to it enough, I'm starting to rather like the song. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Sexxy and SEXXY Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 21:02:15 18000 Well, I have heard two different versions of Sexxy, and I was wondering why there are two. I know on the single there is a different mix of it, but these two sound too similar to be separate mixes. The most significant difference is, on the original version I heard on the radio and taped, there is the same buildup or crescendo before the second time the say "X because it's extra baby." as there was the first time. On the album, however, there is just silence. More subtle differences I noted are just different ways that the song sounds right at the beginning, the first one sounds more orchestrated and the album version sounds just subtly empty in a way, in the beginning. It's hard to explain that one. But does anyone know about this? Another difference (and I don't know if this was the DJ's decision) was that the first time i heard it, the slow violin part at the end of the song was not played. i don't know if it was missing or the DJ just cut it off for time reasons or something...... -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - There were 87 Advil in the bottle now there's 40 left - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:45:29 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: I am not your broom At 09:05 PM 10/10/96 -0700, you wrote: >>>> Say, what kind of program do you need to play .mov files (like I am not your broom)? Do I probably already have this .mov-playin' program and just don't know what it is? Is it something I can download? you need QuickTime which you probably already have. the newest ver can be downloaded at um... www.quicktime.apple.com i think ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:22:54 -0400 Subject: Re: What kind of music does TMBG play?? From: tristanh@FreeMark.COM (Tristan D. Havelick) >hey, >i was in school today listening to my new copy of FS >(naturally), and the guy next to me at the computer asked >what i was listening to. i said they might be giants, and he >looked at me like i had 3 heads (as = opposed to the way >most people usually look at me as having 2). so he = asked >what kind of music they play. and i must say i was = >dumbfounded. i sat there and stuttered for two minutes, and >tried to = explain what kind of music they played, and >finally i decided that i = just couldn't do it. i just >thought that was a funny experience. if = anyone has any >ideas of how to describe Their music, please let me know = >so that i don't look like a fool in the future :) Ah this is a topic much debated between my friends and I. We concluded that tmbg is, well, tmbg. They dont fit into any particualar catafory of music. I think that in it self is half the appeal of tmbg. They are original. Technacly, tmbg is alternative, but they do not sound like typical alternative. Sometimes, I think it depends on the album. For Instance, Lincoln has a very Jazzy feel to it. Whereas, Flood sortof has a 60s+90s feel. If someone insists that I describe what kind of music tmbg is I usually thell them, "Well, its sortof a Jazz/Alternative band... but not realy" When My friend Nate heard Shoehorn waith Teeth for the first time, he said, "Tristan, you sure listen to some wierd music." Perhaps that explains it all. =- Subject: The Bells To Quote Myself: (9/25ish/96) > About 'True Fans': A true fan is not going to love all of an artists > albums. Someone who loves all the albums and all the songs on the albums > and all the parts of the songs... is probably caught up in the popularity > (or un-) of the group. To Quote Peter Michael Yaeger: (10/9/96) > I just love this song, don't you guys? I mean, the seductive appeal of > this song and Giants tunes in general actually created a bizarre social > order of mindless followers on the internet. > The real kicker is that many of these followers feel they are asserting > their individual freedom (i.e. breaking free from social order) by > assimilating into a society of people who like the same stuff they do, a > society where they can act like everyone else. They are actually breaking > free from one social order by joining another. > Geez, what a great song. To Quote WWW.TMBG.COM: >13. The Bells Are Ringing > > A song about the seductive appeal of social order (as opposed to >individual freedom), and an expression of the terrifying and exciting >power of propaganda. The part of the bells is sung by Amanda Homi. Wow. Everything sortof fits together. (To Quote C. Monty Burns: (Of 'The Simpsons') "Excellent. Everything is falling into place.") Oh well. Just though it was neat. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 22:28 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Factory Showroom etc. Well, I got it! Have to say SEXXY threw me a bit, but Till My Head Falls Off had me bouncing around the room, and I was in ecstacy for the rest of the album. I really like this, I loved it immediately, unlike JH which I felt overwhelmed by the first time I heard it. NYC is kewl as a TMBG song, I think I like the cub version a little better. BTW, has anyone figured out the notes to the keyboard/synthesizer thingy in that? I like Pet Name. It's definitely a different sound, but I like it anyway. The Bells is just *so* cool! The part about the girl with the cotton in her ears... Okay, I'm done raving now. I'm just so *happy* to have gotten it. hee hee. Now I can taunt Rocky, who doesn't have it yet. (evil laughter) Kirsten p.s. - Kobra, I finally saw "Mallrats"! I'd say it rivals "Clerks" for the title of "Best Movie of All Time." -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 22:13 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: the shame! i lost the URL for "I am not your broom." i lost it before i could go check it out, i might add. little help? :) -j.l. "more than enough..." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:47:17 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: I am not your broom On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Ray Mootrey wrote: > Say, what kind of program do you need to play .mov files (like I am not > your broom)? > > Do I probably already have this .mov-playin' program and just don't know > what it is? Is it something I can download? > The program in question would be Quicktime... you can get it from www.apple.com. | Alex@europa.com | www.europa.com/~alex | | BarenakedLadies PetShopBoys Erasure TheyMightBeGiants | "Because you dance to disco and you don't like rock.." -PetShopBoys ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:04:19 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Worst Enemy The song "Existential Blues" is written by Tom T-Bone Stankus. That song would be very cool if it didn't have all that Wizard of Oz stuff in it. Wow! I've managed to connect two unrelated threads that have been floating around here!:) Last Night I posted my super-spiffy S-E-X-X-Y interp, but I didn't see it in the digest today. If it isn't in tomorrow's digest, I'll write it up all over again. Sarah Cooke "Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought; have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself." --TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:14:52 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: My review (Third FS posting! Whoo!) On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > "Dressed only in clothes > From her head to her toes, > This is the way > The talking part goes..." > > Kinda silly, but not exactly drenched in libido... > Ok, ok. I guess what I'm going on here is the _tone_ and not the substance. I guess we should just leave it to my own perception-which is skewed enough in its own right. Like what Sarah (I think) said, its like seeing someone you like all over someone in the hallway at school- kind of like PDA, which is nauseating in itself. They've never really put out any songs about sex-much like They've never had curse words in their music. I've only recently begun to get over my discomfort with the "son of a bitch" in "I Palindrome I"-its not to say that I don't say these words myself, but since They never have, I find it uncomfortable. I have an odd perception on these things, I guess. :) > Sigh. This was a thinly veiled statement to the effect that I find the > song to sound very Squeeze-like. (I had to vowed to keep making that > statement until somebody finally responded to it. Chris Bongaarts has, > and I think he has politely told me to stop it:-) > Ok, I see. I've never heard anything by Squeeze beyond "Hourglass" (I love that song), and I guess I missed yer posts on it. Sorry! No, they don't like squeeze, but I think they'd like it because its such a calm song. My mother listens to that "soft rock" or "adult contemporary" stuff that makes me want to claw my eyes out. My dad likes Paul Simon, so I guess he's cool. I think my dad would like TMBG, but he'd never admit it. :) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:03:54 -0400 Subject: Re: an interesting post! From: tristanh@FreeMark.COM (Tristan D. Havelick) >> Actually, the Oz series consists of about 25 books (5-6 >>or so by baum, others by his niece). Anyway Im willing to >>bet the scene in Oz inspired tmbg to write HOH. Return of >>Oz (Movie ver of books 2 & 3) came out 1987 (I think) and >>A18 came out in 1990. So, it is actually quite possible >>that it could be based around the Oz book.. If it was, >>it'd be pretty cool! > >actually, i'm sure the original series by frank l. baum >(which was all i was referring to...) is more than 5 or 6 >books. i could name a few, and there are more, but i wont. >i just wanted to point out that the scene in the movie with >langwidere is rather misplaced/...i know it's a cool scene, >maybe that's why they included it, but it didnt really >belong in that movie...the movie in which they try to puck >the ornaments in the gnome king's domain, etc. was not the >same as _ozma of oz_. sorry to be picky, but i cant help it! >misprepresentation in movies (esp. those based on books) >annoys me at times. oh well. > >as to TMBG using that as a basis? that would be cool! i just >hope they read the book, too :) --fransburgh > AHHH!!!!!!!!!! MAJOR TYPO! That was sposed to be 15-16 books by Baum, 5-6 By his niece. And A18 came out in '92. I must have been pretty tired when I wrote that! :-). Oh "rerun of Oz" (hehe) was actually based on _Ozma of Oz_ AND the 3 book. (cant remeber the title). Well, we seem to be getting off the subject of TMBG. Perhaps we should move this disscussion the the Oz Mailing list. :-). =- "//R@sCaL\\\\" wrote: >5) Too much Distortion, its sounding almost (*gasp*) alternative What's with the bands today...all seem to be changing towards one type of music...what that is exactly I'm still wondering about! Metalica Pearl Jam and now... THEY? ----->Later! "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4e@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 23:43:18 -0400 Subject: Re: Worst Enemy >Anyhow, this song has >some of the coolest lyrics I believe I've ever heard Them sing. The line >bout the "full bottle in front of me" reminds me of another song I heard >long time ago, on the Dr. Demento show. It was called "Existential Blues" >and the singer (I cna't remember his name) said the line: "I'd rather have >this bottle in front of me...than a frontal lobotomy!" So now every time I >hear YOWE (which, in the past 24 hours, has been a lot) I want to sing >"full frontal lobotomy" instead. And I just love the line "after many >glasses of work". That was the EXACT same thing I was thinking when I heard that too! By the way the guys name is T-Bone. jane "Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby chocolate eclair!"--Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:59:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Factory Showroom On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 bartush@calweb.com wrote: > My favorite song is definitely "The Bells Are Ringing" and since a few > people have shared their ideas about what this song means, I'll toss > in my two cents. > It seems as though they may be making another veiled reference to > Pavlov's dog in this song, as it seems to me to be about conditioning > and conditioned behaviour. The "Bells" in the song may not be literal > bells, but rather Government, Advertising, Religion, MTV, or any other > driving force which promotes a "herd" mentality... I agree about the "herd" mentality. In addition, though, the song seems to me to be about the commercialized Christmas season: people mindlessly flocking to various things at Christmas time. Bells in the lyrics of many Christmas songs that are being played over speakers in malls and shopping areas, actual bell sounds in Christmas songs, people standing in the streets ringing bells to collect money, etc. And the advertisers know that this is how to get to people during the Christmas season. Suddenly everyone who normally has a little more restraint and common sense hears the bells in December and starts spending money everywhere. Bells are sounding, and everywhere you turn, someone's telling you some reason you need to buy this, add it to your Christmas list, or buy it for someone else. But it's Christmas time, so all these various people tell you what to do, and you're really not responsible for all things you do and money you spend. That's my take on it. I welcome any comments, disagreements, etc. Afterall, this was just my first impression of the song. (Maybe that's because the first time I heard it, I thought, "This sounds like a messed-up Christmas song.") If the chorus really is patterned after the Who's from How the Grinch Stole Christmas, then that would be some added fuel for this theory. (BTW, I don't have a tape of the Grinch, and it's been a while, can anybody confirm that it is indeed the Who chorus?") Back I go to listen to Spiraling Shape. =) "This could lead to excellence or serious injury..." =) Kylee """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ) ( \ ) | Kylee Dickey: 5'3" : I'm the LWFAP! | / ) ) ( | 00083933@bigred.unl.edu | ( ( ( ) | she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org | ______________________ """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ` '__ | Email me for info about the Twin | \ TWIN PEAKS / \ | Peaks Quote of the Day list! | \ SHERIFF'S DEPT / ] """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" l _l___/ http://members.tripod.com/~ShortOne \__ __/ I have too much blood in my caffeine system! /_________\ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 23:41:40 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: I am not your broom On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Ray Mootrey wrote: > Say, what kind of program do you need to play .mov files (like I am not > your broom)? > > Do I probably already have this .mov-playin' program and just don't know > what it is? Is it something I can download? > Well, Movie Player is a good one, its a helper application with Netscape, and you can also download it at the helper apps page at the Netscape homepage. Sparkle is another- I'm not too sure where to get it, but if you search through Yahoo or something I'm sure you'll find it. But, like others have said, you'll need QuickTime to run all of these things. Sparkle works with QuickTime 3.0, and if you have a newer Mac machine, it should be on there, and you can download the new version at the URL's listed previously. I'm not too sure what Movie Player needs. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 23:44:10 -0500 (CDT) From: james puellmann Subject: Columbia show Is there anybody out there going to the Oct 27 show in Columbia, MO??? didn't think so. [sigh]... guess i'll just freakout to happy tunes alone. again... [[sigh]] James @ MU ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-278 ******************************