Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 28 Sunday, 28 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-26 Ben's Dial-A-Song Still Operational Re: STOP THE MADNESS!!!!! Super Suit: Best of They water spiralling (Was: Re:They Might Be Geography Dunces) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:17:22 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-26 > I call this separating those who really LOVE what the guys are doing from > those who are just into the Concert scene. > > Sorry, kids. Just had to get it out ouf my system. > > ANd I'm older than most of you, so there. > > > Miss Joni Sorry, Joni, but I was seven when the Johns started their band and I wasn't really going to a lot of shows at the time. All I can really say for sure is that the Johns without horns (which I've seen a few times) are pretty good, but the Johns with horns are great. Songs like The Guitar and No One Knows My Plan, which were recorded with prominent horn parts are simply a pale imitation when only the keyboards are used. I used to call They Might Be Giants my favorite band. Lately, though, I'd rather see a good ska show than TMBG any day. I honestly enjoy listening to Their live recordings more than the experience itself. Rock-headed slammers and surfers ruin the experience. They're the ones who are really their just for the "scene". And it always seems like They play at the audience rather than to the audience, but I can't really blame them for their detachment, considering the rabble that usually come to their shows. (Granted, it's usually a small percentage who behave this way, but that's usually enough) -Slacker Ng (a bitter man who just saw a bad TMBG show and a good (well... better) Johnny Too Bad show. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 10:52:29 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben's Dial-A-Song Still Operational Ben or Been here, after some hiatus. Thanks bazillions, Mr. Dodson@bleh, for calling and leaving that snippet from "Which Describes." I hadn't heard that part, and was much pleased by it! The message you left was the best I've gotten, followed by Miss Joni's . . . For today, Ben's Dial-A-Song features the live version of "Particle Man" from the Mountain Stage album. It's relatively short, so give it a call today. It may be gone by Sunday. You can continue calling Ben's Dial-A-Song, although I may not be advertising it very much in the near future. I change it every two to four days, always having songs of a quirky nature! I play stuff by Tiny Tim, They Might Be Giants, The Flaming Lips, Barry Louis Polisar, and Barnes & Barnes, among many, many others. I've also in my possession the 20th and 25th anniversary albums of Dr. Demento's, containing songs I often feature. Save this number, Write it down! (614) 823-2583 Ben's Dial-A-Song The HOME of quirky music Mene mene tekel upharsin, Ben or Been Ask me about General Semantics ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 14:09:52 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: STOP THE MADNESS!!!!! Persephone is Hades wife and the daughter of Dememter. She was forced to live in the under-world by Hades, a fact that greatly angered her mother who, in being the goddess o' agriculture, created winter in her depression. Zeus, in order to end the eternal winter, deigned that part of the time Hades had to let her live in the over-world, hence the 4 seasons. Incidently, in later myths, Persephone is normally the one to deal with those who would journey to Tartarus and seems to enjoy her job as queen of the under-world. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 22:53:31 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Super Suit: Best of They Hello, I'm new here but, bear with me, I'm not an idiot. =) Anyone know if TMBG will make it down to North Carolina soon? Tell me if so. I'm looking for rarities--IE tapes of concerts, other bootlegs, albums I can't find..(especially Dial-A-Song).. Finally, Super Suit. Made by me, it is, in my opinion, the best of They Might Be Giants. For more info, check out the Super Suit Page: http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/best.htm (It won't be up for a little....be patient..) I am taking votes, however. Since Super Suit is, now, only my favorites, I want to know what the rest of the They-Loving world thinks. MAIL YOUR VOTES TO: riserboy@aol.com (Shoot me...I'm on AOL.) Please do, because I think I probably have different tastes. Dad palindrome dad dad emordnilap dad I palindrome I I emordnalip I ===>Noixe, AKA Riser Boy, AKA Andy. http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/Noixep/htm ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 02:04:08 -0800 From: Nicole Carlson Subject: water spiralling (Was: Re:They Might Be Geography Dunces) Hoyl everyone I was in Paraguay this summer, which is in the southern hemisphere. (Really! Check a globe!) Just about the only tape I brought along was my mix of TMBG songs, containing, of course, Ana Ng. And about halfway through July I decided to test to see if water really did spiral the wrong way out the sink. (This made my route leader and partner look at me funny. They weren't TMBG fans.) I got a Coke bottle, filled it with water, turned it upside down, and left it to sit for a day or so, to get any stray water currents to settle. When I took the plug out, the water spiraled out of the bottle CLOCKWISE. I repeated it a few days later, with the help of my 3-year-old host sister, but didn't let the water settle. (3-year-olds are impatient sorts.) It spun out clockwise anyway. In the Northern hemisphere, water spirals out COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Ergo, I conclude that the Johns were right, They Might Not Be Ignorant of Physics, and everyone is happy. -Nnicole (aka Nicole the Big Duluth aka driver) P.S. Linnell is cuter, but Flans is endearing, too. P.P.S. I agree with whoever said that They are They and the other band members are icing. Thank you. __ "They're on to you, and heavily armed/ With a leaf and a kazoo..."--Blues Traveler Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-28 *****************************