Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-280 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 280 Sunday, 13 October 1996 Today's Topics: Re: My Turn. Re: The Bells The Bells XTC vs. Adam Ant = 25 o'clock?? \ My top 5 TmBg songs. Gripe gripe gripe...! Ondine's Curse 5 FAVOURITE TMBG SONGS secret song Broom: fixed ==Factory Showroom==> Re: Cello For all in the D.C area Re: Cello Re: Cello Lyrics Archive Violin parts Unwritten lyrics Broom reload! Re: Flansy's Wife Re: Misc and Unrelated Things More lyrics Re: Unwritten lyrics Re: Misc and Unrelated Things top 5 tmbg songs... my replies. Re: Flansy's Wife Directions to Older Re: Misc and Unrelated Things Pet Name piano chords? TMBG.ORG Lyrics Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant = 25 o'clock?? \ My top 5 TmBg songs. Re: My turn. End of the HCISLAG Re: My turn. Various things... Re: Directions to Older Re: Misc and Unrelated Things Re: Miscellaneous and Unrelated Things Re: My turn. Re: My turn. more loose change Track 1: -1.06 on JVC My opinion with nothing to back it up FS: My impression accordians Re: singing saw Re: Misc and Unrelated Things my 2 cents on FS Re: FS: My impression Re: Misc and Unrelated Things Re: Misc and Unrelated Things Re: Directions to Older Re: The HIDDEN TRACK on the Factory Showroom Album Re: My Turn. How can I sing... Re: How can I sing... XTC and five faves CD purchases o' pure love Re: The HIDDEN TRACK on the Factory Showroom Album Top five at five MY 5 FAV SONGS. Recent TMBG articles? Re: Recent TMBG articles? cool sounds!!!! OATs'n'hay Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: My Turn. Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 01:17:50 -0500 (EST) > > 1. SEXXY - This is one of the very best songs on this CD, it has > beautiful instrumentation, it's not overly done with distortion, it's Yes, the instrumentals are very nice. It has been pointed out, however, that while it may be new ground for TMBG, it is not new ground in general. BTW: there is quite a bit of distortion in this song, but it is applied to the keyboards. I will just add, in addressing almost every song you reflect upon, that distortion and rock music are not synonymous, and that rock and good, creative music are not mutually exclusive. > This _is_ the _only_ song on this CD that should be over three minutes, > where as all other that go over three just break into an annoying repeat > of the verse before that with loud crappy guitar music. > Pointless guitar solos really annoy me. They are indulgent and purely formulaic wastes of time. One thing I had always really, really respected about TMBG is the lack of needless instrumental breaks and filler. Every sound in a TMBG song used to be there for an integral reason. Every TMBG song used to be a highly distilled work of art. That's why the brevity of the songs was a positive feature: They knew when to stop, and what was too much. > > 4. Exquisite Dead Guy - This song is so far above everything before it on > FS it's not even funny. There lyrics are interesting, the music is great > and actually something you wouldn't ever hear on the radio. This song is outstanding in every way (and not a guitar solo to be heard!), but the fact that it wouldn't be heard on the radio is meaningless. It does not make the song any better (unless you just really, really like anything that you think is NOT "that damn rock music"), it is merely a sad indictment of radio programming. > > 7. Your Own Worst Enemy - This has been called by many the weakest song > on the mini-tour, but they are wrong. This song has brilliant > instrumentation, something severely lakcing on the rest of this CD. I've > yet to pay attention to the lyrics, but then, I don't really care. I still think it's a little weak lyrically, and I do care about the lyrics. Creative, intelligent lyrics have always been one of the major draws for me to TMBG (along with sophisticated, head-bobbin' music, of course). The song is musically very nice, but I'm not sure you really mean to speak of the instrumentation, which itself is nothing special... m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: The Bells Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 01:35:53 -0500 (EST) > > > I just love this song, don't you guys? I mean, the seductive appeal of > > > this song and Giants tunes in general actually created a bizarre social > > > order of mindless followers on the internet. > > > The real kicker is that many of these followers feel they are asserting > > > their individual freedom (i.e. breaking free from social order) by > > > assimilating into a society of people who like the same stuff they do, a > > > society where they can act like everyone else. They are actually breaking > > > free from one social order by joining another. > > > Geez, what a great song. > > > [Reams of cascading adulation and quotations purged] I'm puzzled at the positive response this guy's message has been getting. Others have made basically the same point recently (although not specifically in relation to this song, which he seems to be *criticizing*) in much more focused, eloquent, and coherent manners than the pointless attack in the clumsy diatribe above... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 03:04:27 -0400 From: Pavlov Subject: The Bells Yup.. that song rocks... course i could be saying this, because the bells have me in a transe... so you'll never really know... welp.. cya :P -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Pavlov (Stuart Parmenter) irc servers: | E-Mail: pavlov@innerx.net WarPeD.GA.US.EarthInt.Net | Atlanta.GA.US.Undernet.Org | WWW: http://irc.innerx.net/pavlov "Experimental dog, Salivating dog, Good dog, dinner bell dinner bell do the bell thing, dinner bell dinner bell ring" - They Might Be Giants - "Dinner Bell" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:56:20 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (John Galt) Subject: XTC vs. Adam Ant = 25 o'clock?? \ My top 5 TmBg songs. Is it just me, or does the vocal in XTC vs. Adam Ant sound very much like that in the Giant's version of 25 o'clock, at least near the opening of XTCVAA? Might this be a connection the johns are slipping in because 25 o'clock is an XTC song? And who mentioned the similarity between Till my head falls off and sensurround? I haven't noticed a thing about them that would make them similar at all...hrmmm. Now, to defend Until My Head Falls Off. This song rocks big time, yeah. I happen to like that. But it is much more than a rock song. It has some of the best lyrics They have ever written. Lyrically, I think it is the best song on the album, maybe having competition w/ spiraling shape, but I'm not sure. The sound is coherent, and catchy, and I just love it. Finally, my top 5 tmbg songs off all time: 5. No One Knows My Plan -- The very height of JH's achievement. NOKMP will always rank as one of my favs by the giants, for its listenability, fun quality, and unique music style. 4. Until My Head Falls Off -- Refer to earlier part of message. 3. Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes -- Lyrically this is just a kick-ass song that it deserves to be included for that reason only. It doesn't stop there, however, and is very upbeat & original, a great piece from Their older days. 2. Where Your Eyes Don't Go -- This was my fav for a while, it has that carefree lincoln feel mixes with good old lyrical bliss from the johns^2. The sounds in this are really free-flowing, they seem really light and happy. And mY #1 TmBg song of all time: I Palindrome I! -- I've mentioned the opening lines in an earlier post, and I adore how the entire song is put together. Every concept they toss in works with the theme of the song, and every line is so clever for its own sake as well. Unbeatable. Oh, and the FS wallpaper is totally rockin'! Nathan Todd, aka tenman. Your guide to the Factory Showroom. *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>> "I swear -- by my life and my love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." -Ayn Rand ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 02:57:12 -0700 (MST) From: "Jessica T. Gluckman" <143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu> Subject: Gripe gripe gripe...! Okay, various comments... - I heard the hidden track. Pretty silly, but fun to find. - What's with all the complaining about various songs being "Out of Character?" I mean, isn't the appeal of TMBG that they try different styles for their songs? I'm sure if they all sounded like Particle Man we'd be as bored with them as if they all sounded like Pet Name or whatever new song everyone is flaming. - To those complaining about ICHY: aren't you sort of missing the point? The song was supposed to sound like that otherwise they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of recording it on a wax cylinder machine. As somebody on this list said before, the staticy recording goes with the lyrics (sounding like a phone call from an airplane, an intercom at McDonald's...et cetera). I really liked it, personally. It has that sense of being impromptu, as if it were made up on the spot. heh, give me some time to think of my 5 favorites. ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ? Jessica Gluckman..."My name's not Prince, ? ? and I'm not funky." ? ? *Mail me at:143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu ? ? *Wander through my brain...if you dare : ? ? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2195 ? ?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~? ? "Sing your life, any fool can think of ? ? words that rhyme." ? ? -Morrissey ? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: Ondine's Curse Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 11:38:57 +0100 (BST) Hello people! Well, I don't know if this will interest you, but it interested me! *Ondine's Curse* Primary alveolar hypoventilation. (ie, you don't breathe enough) Patients with this problem die at night. It's possibly a brainstem disorder. Treatment: phrenic nerve pacing and tracheostomy. (that is, diaphram stimulation and a hole in the throat) One spooky disease.... Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 06:49:29 -0400 (EDT) From: connie tsang Subject: 5 FAVOURITE TMBG SONGS God, this makes me giddy, trying to think of my five favourite songs here... But here goes... In no particular order than from top to bottom, here goes: * She's an Angel * Ana Ng * Mammal * Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal & * Dinner Bell And puhlease... let me not forget Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head... But that's going over 5. That's being very redundant of me. But that's okay. Come on, eveyone! Share your faves!!!! T * "i'm your only friend * * M i'm not your only friend T B * but i'm a little glowing friend * M G * but really i'm not actually * B * your friend, but i am..." * G ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 08:56:54 -0400 From: stephanie Subject: secret song hello everyone i am a big fan of tmbg. just thought everyone would be interested in this tidbit: there is a secreat song on Factory Showroom. This is how to get it: go to track #1 (seXXy) and press the rewind button until it goes to 00 or -1 and stop when the time says 52 seconds. Then let go and it will play "token back to brooklyn" this doesn't work on older cd players, but keep on trying. have fun! stephanie sharer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 09:11:01 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Broom: fixed The "I Am Not Your Broom" clip has been fixed. You can get the revision from either www.tmbg.com or ftp://tmbg.reshall.umich.edu/pub/tmbg/broom.mov if you prefer. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My Macintosh (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ From: particle@servtech.com (Chaos Harlequin) Subject: ==Factory Showroom==> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 16:21:33 GMT Hideho! Having owned FS for slightly over a day and also having listened to it probably 20 times already, here's my take. First off, to remove the suspense: it's good. Much, much better than all the negative reviews had led me to believe it would be. It's not their best (Lincoln and Apollo 18 are easily better) but it's at or above average. Easily better than John Henry; I'd have to say it's at least as good as or better than Pink and Flood. And if anyone writes to me saying that (a) I'm delusional, (b) that I only like the album because it's TMBG and not because it's good, or (c) the album sucks without actually giving a reason, be forewarned that I will mercilessly flame their ass to the ground. :) Overall comments: Let me address the three major issues that have been bandied about on this group recently. First is the issue of whether TMBG sold out with this album. And to that, my answer is a resounding NO! Look at it: of the entire album, there's really only one song that could have any real chance of commercial success ("New York City") and even it probably won't crack the charts unless J&J sleep with the top guns at MTV. A number of the songs (Dead Guy, Enemy, Pet Name, ICHY) are so radio-unfriendly it's not even funny. The song that Flans said could be a big hit (Girl) is slightly catchy, but it has TMBG branded all over it, and is doomed to a horrible showing at the charts. In short, TMBG are no more sold out than ever before. Next, the "sound": This is the way TMBG *should* sound. Gone is the rather flat "guitar/bass/drums/horns" sound of JH; here the full band has blended with the TMBG style of old and produced a hybrid that's more the sum of it's parts. Here TMBG prove that they can rock when needs be, and still pull off the inventive, textured, "diverse" music they're famous for. The only spot on this is Eric Shurmurmurmur's guitar playing -- it gets in the way of the songs in a few places, especially in the end of Girl. As for the mix of songs: yeah, the mini-tour songs probably should have been on here. So what? I don't care. It's fine as it is. And yeah, five of the songs on here are Older (seven if you count the two that used to be on DAS.) Again, so what? Not everybody is on the Internet; not everybody owns the Istanbul single, the Brain Candy soundtrack, and bootlegs from the mini-tour. Now, song by song: 0. Token Back To Brooklyn: I must say: the DAS version was better. Not only did it have that neat synth sound in the background, but it also had better lyrics ("killed our parents" vs. "tell our parents"). This version is still really good, though, and it's good to see this great song finally make it to an album. The sort of odd percussion is an interesting touch. 1. S-E-X-X-Y Okay, everybody else seems to dislike this. I, personally, think it's pretty cool. The sound effects in the background and the disco strings give this a nice groove and the lyrics are Certain to shock TMBG fans around the world. 2. Till My Head Falls Off Great. The backing track is "totally rockin'", the lyrics are vintage TMBG with a splash of their newfound songwriting panache from A18/JH. One of the best on the album; future single but won't go anywhere on the charts. The "breakdown section" detracts a little, but soon we're up and dancing again. 3. How Can I Sing Like A Girl? One of the weaker songs on this album, but still pretty good. The music is good, but nothing really special. The real problem is that it's *too long*. It's a 4:30 song that Flans has performed in 2 minutes (well, he did leave out the last verse, but still....) All the extra choruses at the end should have been snipped. The backup helps a little but doesn't manage to distinguish it as anything but just another song on the album. Eric's *three* solos here bring the added length from excessive to not good. Give Flans back the lead guitar role, people. (At the 9/23 Charlottesville show, Flans said basically "the reason we have a lead guitarist now is because we have now a song that has three guitar solos." Ackpth. 4. Exquisite Dead Guy Lincoln-era "bizzaro" song, Minimalist Style. The ba ba chorus is awesome, the lyrics are "evocative" and slightly creepy (not to mention quite reminiscent of TMBG's other songs about dead people, especially Turn Around), and the strings add a lot to it. A definite "thumbs up" in my book. At school, when we play various network games now, a friend of mine has been calling himself "ExquisitDeadGuy." 5. Metal Detector Kick-ass song. Very, very catchy. An infectious, "bubbly" melody, cool (if somewhat minimal) lyrics, and awesome gimmicky synth sounds. Simply a lot of fun from beginning to end. The line about the "bathing beauty doll" always makes me chuckle. 6. New York City Really, really, really good. They take an insanely catchy number and add just the right amount of power pop and that TMBG irreverance ("The Empire State where Dylan lived") to the mix to create a near-perfect song. TMBG's first positive love song. Note that this isn't so much a TMBG (in it's current identity) song as a John & John w/ Mono Puff song -- Hal Cragin, Steve Calhoon, and Lyle Workman (the three main members of the Mono Puff band) play on this track instead of Doherty/Schermerhorn/Maby. 7. Your Own Worst Enemy It's kinda flat, but not bad. The cheezy drum sounds, far from detracting from the track, actually add to the mood. The lyrics are good (a morose version of My Evil Twin). 8. XTC Vs. Adam Ant I didn't really care much for this when I heard the mini-tour version. The album version improves a little, but it's still not that great. Eric's guitar plaaaaaaaying gets in the way. It's really sad that when one of my two favorite bands writes a song about the other, that this is the best they can come up with. 9. Spiral(l)ing Shape Same great, kick-ass mix of old-style TMBG music, new full-band style energy and playing (including an amazing performance by Mr. Doherty), and ambiguous and even-handed lyrics about a difficult subject that it was on TBCS. Killer track. 10. James K. Polk About tied with the other version. In other words, good. The singing saw takes some getting used to, but it's pretty good. 11. Pet Name At first it was just like "What the *hell*?" But as I've listened again, I've grown to like it. Not a favorite, but well worth the time it takes to listen. Great, slightly whimsical yet serious lyrics, too. 12. I Can Hear You Should have been a B-side. Sounds like shit. Yes, I know that's the point, but after the novelty wears off it's just a spot on the album. If the song was good, all I'd be asking for was a B-side studio version of it, but the song itself is probably the least substantial thing TMBG have ever written. It would be more forgivable on a 22 song album. 13. The Bells Are Ringing After getting my hopes built up by the DAS version, I started to listen the first time and was disappointed by the way Linnell's voice sounded...then it got to the part where the electric guitars came in. Great, awesome track. The human bell noises work well, and the two layered voices add a lot. Not as good a Linnell closer as EotT, but close. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 09:49:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: Cello hi everyone! again! i just wanted to let you all know that i am a 'cellist (performance major, even)! whee, it only pertains to TMBG in that the actually have some 'cello now, yay! it's too bad though, because when i met them i was going to offer them my services someday... but alas, someone beat me to it. ;) ah, well....see you all around... -fransburgh @ | _ / | \ _ ( | ) ) ) | ( ( <-------yep, this is my really old. lame sig, that i ( ~ ) usually delete...someday a new one will come... - V - ~-~ | Fran, the 'cellist ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 10:53:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Bart Kramer Subject: For all in the D.C area Just to let all that live in the D.C Metro area know that TMBG will be playing at the Taste of D.C festival (free show) on Monday, October 14th. Kramer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 11:46:40 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Cello At 09:49 AM 10/12/96 -0400, you wrote: >hi everyone! again! >i just wanted to let you all know that i am a 'cellist (performance >major, even)! whee, it only pertains to TMBG in that the actually have >some 'cello now, yay! it's too bad though, because when i met them i was >going to offer them my services someday... but alas, someone beat me to it. ;) >ah, well....see you all around... >-fransburgh Um, forgive my lack of knowledge of stringed instruments, but does the ' in 'cello signify that the actuall name is something else (what then?) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:02:53 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Cello >Um, forgive my lack of knowledge of stringed instruments, but does the ' in >'cello signify that the actuall name is something else (what then?) It's technically a violincello, but most people call it a 'cello. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My Macintosh (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:25:40 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Lyrics Archive I've finished posting the lyrics for Factory Showroom on www.tmbg.org. These should be accurate to what is actually sung in the songs, unlike the liner-style lyrics on www.tmbg.com. If you have time, check them and inform me of mistakes. P.S. if you can't get a file, try again in a few seconds--I might be updating it. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My Macintosh (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:39:57 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Violin parts Since everyone else is asking for parts... How about some violin parts! And when did THEY decide exactly to include the violin anyway? ----->Later! "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:54:45 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Unwritten lyrics Maybe I missed something...But on the tmbg.com page, there is no lyrics for Til my head falls off and not even a listing of New York City, so I went and tried to figure out the lyrics by listening...but I have really bad hearing! So...I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how wrong these are and fill in the spaces for me....THANKS! TILL MY HEAD FALLS OFF There were 87 advil in the bottle, now there's 30 left I ate 47 so what happened to the other 10 Why do you suspiciously choose A subject and break my concentration As I dumped the bottle out and I count the advil up again Don't interupt me as I struggle to complete this thought Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself and I'm not done and I won't be til my head falls off Feeling every pocket on my shirt, pants, and overcoat I'm hitting them again but I don't know where I put my --- Clearing my throat and gripping the --- I smile and face my audience Clearing his throat and smiling with his hands on the bathroom sink And when I lean my head against the frosted shower stall I see stuff through the glass that I don't recognize at all and I'm not done and I won't be til my head falls off Though we may not be a long way off I'm not done talkin I'm not done talkin And when I lean my head against the frosted shower stall I see the broken figure siloetted on the wall and I'm not done and I won't be til my head falls off Though we may not be a long way off I won't be done until my haed falls off NEW YORK CITY You called me last night on the telephone And I was glad to hear from you cause I was all alone You said it's snowing it's snowing god I hate this weather And now I walk blizards just to get us back together We met in the springtime at a rock&roll show It was on the ---- when it was time to go We kissed on the subway in the middle of the night I held your hand you held mine It was the best night of my life Cause everyone's your friend in New York City And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty The streets are paved with diamonds and There's just so much to see But the best thing about New York City is you and me Statue of Liberty, Statin Island Ferry, ----- city, --- and Tiffany's, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State where Dillon lives, Coney Island, and Time Square, Rockafella Center Wish I was there You wrote me a letter just the other day Said spring time is coming soon so why don't you come to stay I packed my stuff on the bus can't believe it's true I'm three days from New York City and I'm three days from you Cause everyone's my friend in New York City And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty The streets are paved with diamonds and There's just so much to see But the best thing about New York City is you and me ----->Later! "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:51:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Thomas Murphy Subject: Broom reload! In case you have not yet heard (and theres probaly been a million posts about it by now), the i am not your broom.mov at the tmbg.com site is fixed! Check it out! Now waiting for the posts from those who prefer the bzzzzzzzzt zzzzzzzzt version. *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Flansy's Wife From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:21:55 EDT On Fri, 11 Oct 1996 23:03:32 -0400 jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) writes: >Just read this on a.m.tmbg. Can anyone confirm? If so, it is a very >interesting tidbit... > > >>>Perhaps Flans is not only married to the singer from Cub, but is >also >>>the love interest referenced in the song- he does live in New York, >after >>>all. >> >>What the heck? Flans' wife is the singer from cub? Well, that *does* >>tie up a lot of loose ends... I was under the impression that Flans was married to the lead singer of Spondee, a band who played a few shows with Mono Puff... Also a poetry term... Anyway, that's what I was told here... "If it's in the papers it must be true" =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Misc and Unrelated Things From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:21:55 EDT On Fri, 11 Oct 1996 23:20:26 -0400 Evan Chakroff writes: >>2. Until My Head Falls Off - I don't see why anyone likes this. It's >>just an annoying rock song with too loud guitars and too much distortion. >> There's absolutely nothing that's new about the instrumentation, it's >>just a rock song. Because of the "dirty" guitar sounds you can't hear >>the guys, this is why we need lyrics in the album, it's that damn rock >>music. This song belongs on JH, but I forget, you people hold JH high in >>your opinion. Rating: Total Crap > >This is not 'just a rock song'. In my opinion, this song is the most >similar to the Flood or earlier (yes, even though JKPolk was a Flood >b-side). I don't know about anyone else, but I have no trouble hearing >them. And the general feel of the song would not fit in with the general >feel of JH. This song is what TMBG have become, and rightly so. >As for 'dirty guitar sound' and 'that damn rock music' I have a quote: > "That sounds suspiciously like rock and/or roll music." > - Rev. Lovejoy, _The Simpsons_ I say "that damn rock music" in half sarcasm. I have a lot of rock album hidden in my closet and if I really wanted to listen to a rock album I could dust off "Bleach" and save myself 14 dollars... But then, I am also half way serious as I don't need tmbg to rock, I need something clean refreshing and probably even amusing... >'And another thing...' If this song (UMHFO) was a minute shorter, and done >with a guitar, accordian and drum machine (perhaps a trumpet player and >some handclaps thrown in...) would you not like it? I think that you are perhaps trying to say that I'm a "Floodie" but that's hardly the case. I'm all for the evolution of a band, but what TMBG is doing is much more like the Vogons in the Hitchhikers Guide (a race that evolution gave up on, in case you didn't know) or even more like de-evolution. Rock has been done and done and done, I listen to TMBG and not Aerosmith for a reason, or at least I used to. The borders are faded and fuzzy. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:35:08 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: More lyrics There is a portion of the lyrics for Spirallin Shape that aren't the same as the lyrics sung... Put out your hands and you fall through the window And clawing at nothing you drop through the void *The terified screams are inaudible *Drown in the spiral that hasn't consumed in the shape What are the two *'d lines...I can't make out the end of the second really well. And what are the lyrics to the track 0 song? ----->Later! "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:39:56 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Unwritten lyrics > Maybe I missed something...But on the tmbg.com page, there is no lyrics >for Til my head falls off and not even a listing of New York City, so I went Try www.tmbg.org instead. We're working on it as I type this. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My Macintosh (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:42:53 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Misc and Unrelated Things >but that's hardly the case. I'm all for the evolution of a band, but >what TMBG is doing is much more like the Vogons in the Hitchhikers Guide >(a race that evolution gave up on, in case you didn't know) or even more I'm not sure that's an appropriate metaphor. The Vogons didn't evolve because they were awful to begin with. TMBG were great, and are evolving to something different (which I still like, but others apparently don't). >like de-evolution. Rock has been done and done and done, I listen to No, that would be DEVO, another great band. :-) -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My Macintosh (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:50:14 -0400 Subject: top 5 tmbg songs... well this is a tough one: -- she's an angel nyquil driver dinner bell whirlpool they'll need a crane snowball in hell your own worst enemy exquisite dead guy getting sentimental over you cabbagetown -- sorry, couldn't pick 5. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:50:07 -0400 Subject: my replies. >hmmmmmm... ok I've got to - what They songs work well with > the Macarena? Oh my god! How funny! I've known this one.."Siftin'"! :) Not that I advocate or condone the M-word, but anyhow.. >Next cover- For some reason, I can also see TMBG doing an >incredible cover of Brickhouse. Don't ask me why... I've always thought the Doors' "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)" would make a great TMBG song. >There's been some talk as to why Sensurround is not on this >record. I am personally under the opinion that it is not on >there because Til My Head Falls Off sounds so much like it. >Any thoughts? Mmm hmm. That's what I was thinking too. Everytime I listen to TMHFO, I can't help singing Sensurround. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:49:27 -0400 Subject: Re: Flansy's Wife >hummm. not so sure i would believe this, but vancouver IS about 3 days >from NYC...wouldnt it be, way over there in the west? >i would be even less inclined to believe this, considering the story we >have heard about how flans heard cub on the radio, didnt really seem to >know anything about them, etc... >whatever! Amen, Fransburgh! First off, Robynn doesn't sing New York City, Lisa does. Also, cub were touring this summer, and they released their album in July. All of that doesn't add up to a July wedding. And, most importantly, Robynn (still) lives in Canada. But here's a cub link to TMBG... As found on http://www.io.org/~cygnals/cub/cubhome.html There's a rumor aflotin' around that cub is going to open for TMBG on some of their US tour dates! Love, Brooks ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:44:43 -0400 From: jtt@magicnet.net (JOHN T THOMPSON) Subject: Directions to Older Hey, I'm just saying up front, I'm damned confused as to why "Older is the best song on this cd, and it's not even on it". All I know is that Older is amazing, I heard it in Gainesville. Some nice soul e-mailed it to me, but I can't get into it because my sister messed with it or something. Anyway, I think the easiest way for me to solve this problem would be if I was pointed in the right direction on the information superhighway. So, anybody know the address of a site w/Older? I'd appreciate it. Dan (wallower@tmbg.org) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:52:28 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Misc and Unrelated Things > I say "that damn rock music" in half sarcasm. I have a lot of >rock album hidden in my closet and if I really wanted to listen to a rock >album I could dust off "Bleach" and save myself 14 dollars... But then, >I am also half way serious as I don't need tmbg to rock, I need something >clean refreshing and probably even amusing... > >>'And another thing...' If this song (UMHFO) was a minute shorter, and >>done with a guitar, accordian and drum machine (perhaps a trumpet player and >>some handclaps thrown in...) would you not like it? > > I think that you are perhaps trying to say that I'm a "Floodie" >but that's hardly the case. I'm all for the evolution of a band, but >what TMBG is doing is much more like the Vogons in the Hitchhikers Guide >(a race that evolution gave up on, in case you didn't know) or even more >like de-evolution. Rock has been done and done and done, I listen to >TMBG and not Aerosmith for a reason, or at least I used to. The borders >are faded and fuzzy. > >=========================a spooky man named Ike========================= >The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ >The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org >The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" >=================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ > Let's compare, for a moment, evolution of a band to evolution of a species. In a species there will be 'mistakes' in it's genes, causing a change. This change will sometimes help the organism live better and reproduce, and sometimes it won't be helpful at all and all the organisms will die off that have this change. All the original organisms will still be around, no worse off then they were before. Comparing this to TMBG; Some say John Henry was a mistake. Some part of Them evolved into this rock machine: very rough, and sometimes compromising other aspects, such as good lyrics, for Their new-found 'rock'. Consider earlier TMBG an organism and JH-era another organism, both co-existing. In my opinion, the JH organism has branched off into Mono Puff, abandonig most of the early TMBG sound for the 'totally rocking' JH sound. Also, i think JH and the earlier stuff has formed this hybrid Factory Showroom, which has parts of each. Personally, I consider this an improvement overall, but others, such as yourself, consider this worse, and doomed to fail. In that case perhaps They would revert to their original format, or They would break up. If they were to break up, it acctually might be better, as long as they both kept writing songs. I like Mono Puff, and would continue buying Flans' Rock Music, and I would also get a copy of State Songs or House of mayors (Which I want to do anyway, but haven't gotten around to subscribing to Hello club). And if they broke up then so what? There are plenty other bands I like out there, and there would still be six TMBG albums plus Misc. T, Then: The Early Years, and Superfueled Freaksicle. My 2 cents and a couple dollars. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 15:01:28 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Pet Name piano chords? Anyone figure out the piano chords on pet name? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:58:11 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG.ORG Lyrics from tmbg.org: Hitting every pocket on my shirt, pants and overcoat And I'm hitting them again but I don't know where I put my notes Clearing my throat, and gripping the lectern I smile and face my audience Clearing his throat and smiling with his hands on the bathroom sink Isn't it 'Feeling' the first time? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 16:00:10 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant = 25 o'clock?? \ My top 5 TmBg songs. On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, John Galt wrote: > Now, to defend Until My Head Falls Off. This song rocks big time, yeah. I > happen to like that. But it is much more than a rock song. It has some of > the best lyrics They have ever written. Probably the best song on the album, and the first to get stuck in my head. Congrats, John L., that's the first time it's been you. > Finally, my top 5 tmbg songs off all time: > > 5. No One Knows My Plan -- The very height of JH's achievement. NOKMP will > always rank as one of my favs by the giants, for its listenability, fun > quality, and unique music style. Agreed. Plus, you can do the conga to it. > 4. Until My Head Falls Off -- Refer to earlier part of message. > > 3. Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes -- Lyrically this is just a kick-ass > song that it deserves to be included for that reason only. It doesn't stop > there, however, and is very upbeat & original, a great piece from Their > older days. Hmm...it's amusing, but I can't rank it as one of my faves. I do listen to this one every time I listen to The Big Blue Dog album, tho. There are songs that I skip over (Chess Piece Face, Boat Of Car....). > 2. Where Your Eyes Don't Go -- This was my fav for a while, it has that > carefree lincoln feel mixes with good old lyrical bliss from the johns^2. > The sounds in this are really free-flowing, they seem really light and happy. Never really got into this one. I'll listen to it every once in awhile. Unlike most, I like the second half of Lincoln better than the first, with Snowball in Hell being my favorite TMBG song. > And mY #1 TmBg song of all time: > I Palindrome I! -- I've mentioned the opening lines in an earlier post, and > I adore how the entire song is put together. Every concept they toss in > works with the theme of the song, and every line is so clever for its own > sake as well. Unbeatable. I like this song, but it didn't make my top five....probably about number seven, overall. This makes good bumper music for the radio, tho....you lead into your show just as Linnell says, "You Son of a Bitch". -Dawg....shockjock, who wonders why it's so hard to get fined by the FCC today. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:29:42 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: Re: My turn. Never is it a good time in a TMBG song to ever rock out? I suppose eliminating the "rockout" parts from "Istanbul," "Your Racist Friend," "AKA Driver," "Spy," and "The End of the Tour" (to name just a few) would IMPROVE these songs? Sorry to say, but electric guitar CAN be used for powers of good in TMBG songs. Many songs of theirs would lack of lot of genuine wallop without it. (That's not to say that some songs could go w/o, like XTCVAA. But I digress.) These guys get ragged on and flamed enough by devotees. Their sole purpose in life is not to pander to the aesthetic whims of their fans. They just wanna make music they like. And if they want to rock out (hell, who doesn't every now and then?) so be it. Commence flaming. Cory ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 10:32:14 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: End of the HCISLAG HCISLAG is a cool song in my opinion; does anyone else think that the fade-out at the end of the song, with John L harmonizing, is the best part? I love it so much, and I wish he did it throughout the whole song. What kind of music TMGB plays: I always tell people that it's "Alternative Alternative." About TMBG's own interpretations: I don't think that it ruins the fun for us. No matter how many times I hear JL say "The Statue Got Me High is about Don Giovanni" I will continue to believe that it's about 2001: A Space Odyssey. In the midst two dozen End of the Tour interps, I still prefer my own, even if it makes less sense than any of them. The interpretation of anything is unique to each individual. Sarah Cooke "Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought; have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself." --TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 16:02:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: My turn. On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Cory Calhoun wrote: > Never is it a good time in a TMBG song to ever rock out? I suppose > eliminating the "rockout" parts from "Istanbul," "Your Racist Friend," > "AKA Driver," "Spy," and "The End of the Tour" (to name just a few) would > IMPROVE these songs? > Sorry to say, but electric guitar CAN be used for powers of good in TMBG > songs. Many songs of theirs would lack of lot of genuine wallop without > it. (That's not to say that some songs could go w/o, like XTCVAA. But I > digress.) > These guys get ragged on and flamed enough by devotees. Their sole > purpose in life is not to pander to the aesthetic whims of their > fans. They just wanna make music they like. And if they want to rock out > (hell, who doesn't every now and then?) so be it. > > Commence flaming. > Cory > Don't you see he's talking about the cheap worthless time filling 'rock'? I mean, look at 'Why Must I be Sad' and 'I Should be Allowed to Think.' They have just this horrid rock sound to them that just makes my brain mushy. It doesn't grow on you, it just makes each song less distinct. He is NOT talking about the electric guitar. If I want to listen to TMBG REALLY rock out, I listen to Ana Ng, Purple Toupee, The Statue Got Me High, or even Nothing's Gunna Change My Clothes. I don't listen to a band all playing blended, mushed, boring, nonunique chords. I think the only good songs that came off John Henry were Snail Shell (Because of its uniqueness), Spy (I like its style), A Self Called Nowhere (Here's an example of how well they COULD handle the full band if they tried), and Meet James Ensor. Despite this, I still can't stand the album as a whole. And I've got every other album, even the brand new one! In fact, the first one I actually bought with my own money for my own use was John Henry. I'm officially concluding that John Henry sucks. You may scold me for comparing it to the older albums and say that TMBG is doing something different now, but I have every right to compare it and every right to expect more out of them. TMBG may not be playing to suit the tastes of each of their fans, but if they're gunna start turning their backs and doing this crap, they need to do it under another name. I hardly see this new band synonymous with TMBG when it first came about. Only thing left I have to say is that much of Apollo 18 sucked, too. Dinner Bell, If I Wasn't Shy, Turn Around, etc... They all sound THE SAME. Oh well. Is there anyone who completely agrees with me? I have a feeling most of you do but you don't want to say it because you feel like you need to make yourself like TMBG or you feel like you couldn't discredit a band you've liked for 9 years. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:21:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Various things... Someone a few days ago mentioned a whistle at about 3:20 in Spiral(l)ing Shape. I heard it, too, and it makes no sense really... but when you consider some of the other things in Their songs, it's not that unusual. I am not your broom (subtitled "John Linnell gets a QuickCam.") was disturbingly cool. Does anyone know the proper chords for Metal Detector? So far, I've got parts of the refrains, but they don't seem to compare quite right to the CD... I noticed, in a search for the original lyrics to NYC, that Cub is supposedly going to be touring with TMBG in November and December. This could make for some interesting shows, especially if They decide to play NYC... (someone will, probably) could be interesting... ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Directions to Older From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 16:45:47 EDT On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:44:43 -0400 jtt@magicnet.net (JOHN T THOMPSON) writes: >I'm just saying up front, I'm damned confused as to why "Older is the best >song on this cd, and it's not even on it". All I know is that Older is >amazing, I heard it in Gainesville. Some nice soul e-mailed it to me, but I >can't get into it because my sister messed with it or something. Anyway, I >think the easiest way for me to solve this problem would be if I was pointed >in the right direction on the information superhighway. So, anybody know >the address of a site w/Older? Go to Flippy's Red Light Happy Hour at http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/ and make your way to the music section, to their TMBG page into the sound gallery. Flippy's is about the best page on the net for my money, so check the rest of it out too. Oh and, that bit I said about Older, it's just a bit of sarcasm following my statement that the best songs on JH are on BTS. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Misc and Unrelated Things From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 16:45:47 EDT On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:52:28 -0400 Evan Chakroff writes: >Let's compare, for a moment, evolution of a band to evolution of a species. >In a species there will be 'mistakes' in it's genes, causing a change. This >change will sometimes help the organism live better and reproduce, and >sometimes it won't be helpful at all and all the organisms will die off >that have this change. All the original organisms will still be around, no >worse off then they were before. Comparing this to TMBG; Some say John >Henry was a mistake. Some part of Them evolved into this rock machine: very >rough, and sometimes compromising other aspects, such as good lyrics, for >Their new-found 'rock'. Consider earlier TMBG an organism and JH-era >another organism, both co-existing. In my opinion, the JH organism has >branched off into Mono Puff, abandonig most of the early TMBG sound for the >'totally rocking' JH sound. Mono Puff in only very minimal ways sounds JH. Mono Puff is actually closer to early TMBG sans keys in my opinion. >Also, i think JH and the earlier stuff has >formed this hybrid Factory Showroom, which has parts of each. Personally, >I consider this an improvement overall, but others, such as yourself, >consider this worse, and doomed to fail. When have I said that FS is doomed to fail? If anything, I think FS will sell like hotcakes. >In that case perhaps They would >revert to their original format, or They would break up. If they were to >break up, it acctually might be better, as long as they both kept writing >songs. I like Mono Puff, and would continue buying Flans' Rock Music, and I >would also get a copy of State Songs or House of mayors (Which I want to do >anyway, but haven't gotten around to subscribing to Hello club). And if >they broke up then so what? There are plenty other bands I like out there, >and there would still be six TMBG albums plus Misc. T, Then: The Early >Years, and Superfueled Freaksicle. You can't seriously believe that Elektra would still release Freakcycle without touring support... Never would it happen. On another point, some one has said, "Why aren't TMBG allowed to rock." It must be pointed that I have never said that I never said they aren't allowed to rock. I simply don't think they're very good at rocking. They can rock all they want, I just don't have to like it. TMBG, rock on. Don't expect me to buy it. I am mostly done, or at least that's all I can think of but I'm sure there's something else... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:13:57 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: Miscellaneous and Unrelated Things just a little something from mr_me (mr_me@tmbg.org or jlafayette@tmbg.org) HAVE A DAY! On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > >You know, while listening to Pet Name, I was struck by the sheer amount > >of songs that express how one of Them has been dragged through the mud by > >a woman, or that tell of love gone horribly, horribly wrong. > > Don't forget The End of the Tour (not her fault, but still...) > > i thought the end of the tour was about a car wreck. hmm.... -john ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 18:01:53 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: My turn. >Dinner Bell, If I Wasn't Shy, Turn Around, etc... They all sound THE SAME. >Oh well. Is there anyone who completely agrees with me? I have a feeling >most of you do but you don't want to say it because you feel like you need >to make yourself like TMBG or you feel like you couldn't discredit a band >you've liked for 9 years. > >Brandon I would even go so far as to say that _all_ the songs Apollo 18 sounds simmilar to all the other songs on Apollo 18. (Wait, weren't some people complaining about when an album _doesn't_ have a general 'feel' to it?) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:40:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: My turn. On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >Dinner Bell, If I Wasn't Shy, Turn Around, etc... They all sound THE SAME. > >Oh well. Is there anyone who completely agrees with me? I have a feeling > >most of you do but you don't want to say it because you feel like you need > >to make yourself like TMBG or you feel like you couldn't discredit a band > >you've liked for 9 years. > > > >Brandon > > I would even go so far as to say that _all_ the songs Apollo 18 sounds > simmilar to all the other songs on Apollo 18. (Wait, weren't some people > complaining about when an album _doesn't_ have a general 'feel' to it?) > > -- > Evan Chakroff Hmm... I see that last point, but then you'd have to think about what they mean. Having a general feel to it doesn't mean that every song sounds the same. The band should take time to throw in some new instruments, change some mix settings, change their amp settings, etc... Apollo 18 and John Henry sound like the results of recording a whole album in one weekend - they lack individuality and sound like one long song. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 19:28:15 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: more loose change hi all just some thoughts: i know Factory Showroom has been reviewed to death, so i'll make mine brief: let me say... i like this album. at first listen, i thought "what's with all these guitar solos?" they definetly would not have been missed, especially in HCISLAG(does the guitar in this remind anyone else of REM's "Monster") and XTCvs.AA. i think S-E-X-X-Y is great. toward the beginning, i love how the horns and strings crescendo, then the pause, then the "S-E-X-X-Y". i chuckle every time, especially on the "Y". i know some people don't like how rocky this record is, but it doesn't bother me...mostly. i think UMHFO, TBAR, and NYC are really charged songs. i don't know..some of these songs have more guitar in them then the They of old, but i'm not sure they sound like typical rock bands of today. Songs like Birdhouse, Statue, My Evil Twin, We're the Replacements, Puppet Head, Ana Ng, etc. are just as rocky as UMHFO and TBAR, to me anyway. One thing about this album, though, is Linnell's songs are way better than Flansy's. It's not even close. I like Linnel's songs on Their other albums better anyway(generally), but Linnell makes this album. BTW: i like ICHY *alot*. although i must admit it would've fit better as a track on the 73 song album. Overall, Factory Showroom is fun, energetic, and not John Henry: Part 2. Ohio State just won! Whoo hoo! -Brian ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 19:48:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Track 1: -1.06 on JVC I just realized that I had a JVC CD-ROM player, and it didn't occur to me before. However, I have tried the rewinding after Track 1 has started playing, and it stops at 00:00. Does anyone know if there is any way to play -1:06 on these CD-ROMs? If not, do you know how to access it with an Apple CD-ROM? Thanks. Btw, I finally purchased both FS and Unsupervised, and I think they're both really great. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping There really is nothing better than listening to a "Hydrogen Jukebox" While menuing around CapAccess ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 18:46:52 -0500 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: My opinion with nothing to back it up I can't regret this one. Wasn't there rumors that Flans' wife's name was Robin? I'm going to guess that her name is Robin Goldwaser, because there is someone o ith that name that did some things for Hello Recording Club and also was on the original Mono Puff which was for the club only. this is just my opinion, and nothing else. If you want to flame me, please do it directly to me, but I hope you won't for a simple opinion. Linda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 18:48:57 -0700 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: FS: My impression Well, it seems to be what everyone's doing... 0. Token Back To Brooklyn Interesting... It's short, it doesn't rhyme, but it's really snazzy, and there's also the novelty of it being a hidden track... 1. S-E-X-X-Y I really like this song, I don't see why everyone else doesn't. It sounds neat and the instruments are neat and the strings are totally rockin'... the lyrics aren't too original, but it sounds fairly giantish 2. Till My Head Falls Off This is a pretty good song, but I wouldn't say it's the best song on the album... but it's better than some of the songs, and it won't be one I'll skip past when I choose favorties on the album... 3. How Can I Sing Like A Girl? This is spiffy song, but it repeats too many times at the end, and get tiresome, so I've already started skipping to the next track after the guitar and before the endless choruses... great lyrics, though, "I want to raise my freak flag" 4. Exquisite Dead Guy "Ba-ba-da-ba-ba-ba-da-ba" nifty... It's kind of slow... sorta repetitive... but I like the "How'm I s'posed to let you know the way I feel about you?" part, though. 5. Metal Detector This song rocks. I love the synth. I love the lyrics. I love it all. Should've been the single. 6. New York City Pretty cool... I guess it's really MonoPuff, tho'... Which isn't to say i don't like it... it's... hmm.. it reminds me of something, but i think it's a pretty spiffy song.. 7. Your Own Worst Enemy This song is too slow... I don't really like listening to it very much.. umm, yeah. 8. XTC vs. Adam Ant This one really grows on you, so now i regard it as totally rockin'... 9. Spiraling Shape Love it. This song is very cool, it's spiffy sounding, and it goes somewhat quickly so I can't even sing along, so it's also somewhat of a challenge.. sorta repeats itself toward the end... 10. James K. Polk I like this song coz it's... neato (you can tell i can't think of enough adjectives :) it's got a history lesson rolled into one big steamy thing... streudelous 11. Pet Name I don't know... kinda piano-ish... it's also very repetitive toward the end... it would have been better if they had cut it off a bit 12. I Can Hear You Very unique and original. I love this song becuase of the way it uses extreme lo-fi to talk about things with bad sound quality... 13. The Bells Are Ringing This sounds Christmasy because it's got bells and it a round, sort of.. i like the way you have to strain to make out the lyrics when it gets complicated... "bong bong bong" I think the album is overall pretty good... easily beats john henry... probably above big blue dawg/pink... yeah, i like this one, can't wait for the singles to get my grubby little phlanges on more songs... --- Hexagon /=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF= Braham Ketcham =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF= =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF\ | - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon/ - | | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher and I want to | | raise my freak flag, and never be alone." --- They Might Be Giants | \____________________ hexagon@salamander.com _______________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 20:07:26 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: accordians I have always been interested in the accordian and I was just wondering if anyone has an accordian, or knows how much accordians cost. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 19:37:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: singing saw On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Matthew James wrote: > My friend who plays the double bass says that you play an actual saw > with a bow (not the teeth side) and that it really screws up the saws > but it can be done. I thought that was pretty wacky. Yes! I was actually lucky enough to see someone play a saw in person years ago! I thought it was really nifty and just couldn't believe that TMBG were using a singing saw on FS for JKP! =) =) Kylee ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:22:17 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Misc and Unrelated Things On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:52:28 -0400 Evan Chakroff > writes: > >and there would still be six TMBG albums plus Misc. T, Then: The Early > >Years, and Superfueled Freaksicle. > > You can't seriously believe that Elektra would still release > Freakcycle without touring support... Never would it happen. And actually, TMBG are under an 8 album contract. I count four so far. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:18:19 +0600 From: Adam Subject: my 2 cents on FS Overall I have to say I like it. It is different from their other stuff, but it's still They. Good music, interesting lyrics, and songs that really get stuck in your head. My only complaint is that there are only 13 songs, 14 if you count track 0. Something that a lot of people tend to forget is that almost all groups and bands change their style of music over time. Never a really drastic change, but subtle things. And I can see that with the Giants. Remember The Beatles? Their music definatly changed over time. The message here is don't rag on They just cause their music is different now than when they started, doesn't mean they've sold out. All in all, They still make GREAT music!!!!! -Mister A ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:16:16 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: FS: My impression On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Braham Ketcham wrote: > Well, it seems to be what everyone's doing... So I'll respond to yours, and add mine. > 0. Token Back To Brooklyn > Interesting... It's short, it doesn't rhyme, but it's really snazzy, and > there's also the novelty of it being a hidden track... Can't disagree. Sorta neat the first few times, then it gets boring. > 1. S-E-X-X-Y > I really like this song, I don't see why everyone else doesn't. It sounds > neat and the instruments are neat and the strings are totally rockin'... the > lyrics aren't too original, but it sounds fairly giantish Hate it. The horns are okay, but this song simply freut mich nicht. > 2. Till My Head Falls Off > This is a pretty good song, but I wouldn't say it's the best song on the > album... but it's better than some of the songs, and it won't be one I'll > skip past when I choose favorties on the album... I like this one. I can just see John Linnell popping Advil, and washing it down with coffee. > 3. How Can I Sing Like A Girl? > This is spiffy song, but it repeats too many times at the end, and get > tiresome, so I've already started skipping to the next track after the > guitar and before the endless choruses... great lyrics, though, "I want to > raise my freak flag" Intresting concept....could be a bit more lively. Maybe some more horns would help. > 4. Exquisite Dead Guy > "Ba-ba-da-ba-ba-ba-da-ba" nifty... It's kind of slow... sorta repetitive... > but I like the "How'm I s'posed to let you know the way I feel about you?" > part, though. Don't like it. Can't decide whether it's bad, or just irritating. > 5. Metal Detector > This song rocks. I love the synth. I love the lyrics. I love it all. > Should've been the single. I like this one....the Lyrics aren't Linnell's best work ('course, it'll be hard to match South Carolina), but it is a good song. I don't however, think that it should be the single....either Until my Head Falls Off or NYC. > 6. New York City > Pretty cool... I guess it's really MonoPuff, tho'... Which isn't to say i > don't like it... it's... hmm.. it reminds me of something, but i think it's > a pretty spiffy song.. It reminds me of most of the other upbeat love songs around....but I think it's a great song. Catchy. > 7. Your Own Worst Enemy > This song is too slow... I don't really like listening to it very much.. > umm, yeah. Listened to it twice, won't again, anytime soon. Enough Said. > 8. XTC vs. Adam Ant > This one really grows on you, so now i regard it as totally rockin'... Nice concept....don't think it came out the way it was intended. I'll listen to this one, to. > 9. Spiraling Shape > Love it. This song is very cool, it's spiffy sounding, and it goes somewhat > quickly so I can't even sing along, so it's also somewhat of a challenge.. > sorta repeats itself toward the end... Probably the best song on the album. I liked this one so much that I bought the KITH soundtrack to have a copy. > 10. James K. Polk > I like this song coz it's... neato (you can tell i can't think of enough > adjectives :) it's got a history lesson rolled into one big steamy thing... > streudelous Napolean of the stump....'nuff said. > 11. Pet Name > I don't know... kinda piano-ish... it's also very repetitive toward the > end... it would have been better if they had cut it off a bit Yeah, I think this was a short Flansburgh song that he streached. I'll listen to about half of it and hit the fast forward button. > 12. I Can Hear You > Very unique and original. I love this song becuase of the way it uses > extreme lo-fi to talk about things with bad sound quality... I think Flans uses his favorite phrase in this one...."I can supersize that." The boy is getting a little hefty. I like the song, tho. > 13. The Bells Are Ringing > This sounds Christmasy because it's got bells and it a round, sort of.. i > like the way you have to strain to make out the lyrics when it gets > complicated... "bong bong bong" First heard this on Dial-a-song.....Love it. Very, very catchy, and I have an obsession for christmas music. > I think the album is overall pretty good... easily beats john henry... > probably above big blue dawg/pink... yeah, i like this one, can't wait for > the singles to get my grubby little phlanges on more songs... Here's another thread...rate the albums 7. Flood Too Kiddie 6. Factory Showroom Too short. 5. Lincoln (so flame me) There are a lot of songs here that I don't listen to. However, my favorite song, Snowball in hell is on here. 4. John Henry Like the horns 3. Apollo 18. Very well done....love to put it on shuffle mode 2. Big Blue Dog I don't know...I just find it in my CD player the most. 1. Misc. T Laugh my ass off every time I hear it, and I like "I'll sink Manhattan." Fun song to sing to GF. -Dawg S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:15:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: Misc and Unrelated Things On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, BlueDawg wrote: > On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > > > On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:52:28 -0400 Evan Chakroff > > writes: > > >and there would still be six TMBG albums plus Misc. T, Then: The Early > > >Years, and Superfueled Freaksicle. > > > > You can't seriously believe that Elektra would still release > > Freakcycle without touring support... Never would it happen. > > And actually, TMBG are under an 8 album contract. I count four so far. > > S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org > http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig > "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell > Wouldn't Elektra's re-release of the pink album count, too? I think it was 90 or 91. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:17:36 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Misc and Unrelated Things On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Brandon Callison wrote: > > > On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, BlueDawg wrote: > > > On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > > > > > On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:52:28 -0400 Evan Chakroff > > > writes: > > > >and there would still be six TMBG albums plus Misc. T, Then: The Early > > > >Years, and Superfueled Freaksicle. > > > > > > You can't seriously believe that Elektra would still release > > > Freakcycle without touring support... Never would it happen. > > > > And actually, TMBG are under an 8 album contract. I count four so far. > Wouldn't Elektra's re-release of the pink album count, too? > I think it was 90 or 91. No, this is new stuff. The re-release was in co-operation with Restless. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:28:48 -0400 (EDT) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Directions to Older At 14:44 10/12/96 -0400, JOHN T THOMPSON wrote: >Anyway, I >think the easiest way for me to solve this problem would be if I was pointed >in the right direction on the information superhighway. So, anybody know >the address of a site w/Older? Um...I think you can get this song at http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy, in the TMBG sound gallery. The whole page is actually pretty good. I wish I knew the people who put it together...I'm sure they are really cool! Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 96 22:43 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: The HIDDEN TRACK on the Factory Showroom Album > I bought the new album the other day, and have been taking it >everywhere I go. I go to my friend's house, the new album does too. I go >to work, the new albumdoes too. And so on. Oh, good, I'm not the only one. I brought it to school with me for absolutely no reason, since there are no CD players at school. Okay, I admit it, I brought it so I could taunt my dear friend Rocky, who doesn't have it yet. Also, whenever I felt sad, I just pulled it out and held it for a few moments... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 96 23:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: My Turn. >I like this song. To dismiss it as total crap isn't doing justice to it >at all. It's a really neat and depressing song, like The End of the >Tour and She's an Angel - and yet, it wasn't even written by Them. And >I think they did a really good job with it. Y'know, it's funny. I can accept the cub version of "NYC" as a dizzy, happy love song, but for some reason when I listen to the TMBG version I think of it as being kind of sarcastic. Maybe it's just the mood I've been in since I got the CD. (don't ask, personal life angst) Or maybe it's just that I'm not used to TMBG writing straightforward, happy love songs. *shrug* Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 23:19:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: How can I sing... Hmmm... I noticed something interesting at the end of How Can I Sing Like a Girl... There's a strange vocal part during the fade out and I can't tell what it's saying. I think it's being sung by Linnell, and progresses from a high note downward... Anyone know what this is? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 23:32:40 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: How can I sing... >Like a Girl... There's a strange vocal part during the fade out and I >can't tell what it's saying. I think it's being sung by Linnell, and >progresses from a high note downward... > >Anyone know what this is? I think he's saying "ah," but I could be wrong. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 96 23:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: XTC and five faves First off, I have to say I love "XTC vs. Adam Ant," but it's largely for an inside joke that I think of every time I hear the line about the lead singer from Bow Wow Wow... Five Favorite Songs: (in no particular order) 1. It's Not My Birthday - Dammit, I just love this song. 2. See the Constellation - I sing it with my little brother. We attempt to harmonize. 3. Ana Ng - It rocks. 4. Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head - What can I say? I'm big on nonconformity and shtuff. 5. Racist Friend - That trumpet solo... I just love this song. Also, when I first bought Flood and heard it, a little light went on in my head "Hey, these guys write serious songs and stuff. I really, *really* like them!" Okay, those are my current faves. In five seconds I'll be saying "Dammit, what about "Dead"?!" Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: CD purchases o' pure love Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:00:53 -0700 Well today I moseyed on down to the local Music Trader (a chain o' used & new CD stores) and lo and behold, I found Unsupervised for $8.99, The Devil Went Down to Newport EP for $1.99, and Factory Showroom for $8.99 as well. It was a joyous spectacle and I am full of love towards my fellow man for not liking these items and thus returning them. We shall see how much I like them, although since I have been a They fan since 1987 I doubt the new material will sway me, although I will admit JH was not an overall awesome effort. ......Charles Box ...babble@ix.netcom.com .....'hopelessly fighting the devil futility .........feeling the monster climb deeper inside of me ....feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily...' ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 00:23:03 -0400 Subject: Re: The HIDDEN TRACK on the Factory Showroom Album In a message dated 96-10-12 22:51:27 EDT, you write: << Oh, good, I'm not the only one. I brought it to school with me for absolutely no reason, since there are no CD players at school. Okay, I admit it, I brought it so I could taunt my dear friend Rocky, who doesn't have it yet. Also, whenever I felt sad, I just pulled it out and held it for a few moments... Kirsten >> ME TOO!!! i brought factory showroom to school,and my friend thought i brought it to let him borrow it, but i just liked lookin at it. :) ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 00:29:33 -0400 Subject: Top five at five Hello 41- After thinking about this for a little bit, I came up with five songs I like best. This will probably change right after I write this, but oh well. *I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die *Cabbagetown *They'll Need A Crane *The Famous Polka *Older or Exquisite Dead Guy A nickle to Sarah, who after I wrote this I saw she had ones I had. Eek! Electric Guitar Rock Is Bad- I have to say one reason I like TMBG is because they are a rock band that doesn't always Rooooock. I am not really into the loud and the heavy guitar, now that I look up, I don't consider any of the songs I put as my faves as "rockin'" songs... Yes, some bands I like sound okay with it... Ummmm... The Pixies... But I think TMBG is better. Adam ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 00:45:09 -0400 Subject: MY 5 FAV SONGS. god, this is so hard. its not even funny. ok,ill pick 5,then put like "runners up" or something, here goes,and in no particular order--- Ana ng--i find myself singing this song constantly in school Put your hand inside the puppet head---ditto No one knows my plan----makes me feel better when i feel sad or sick Were the replacements----laugh every time i hear it I palindrome I----just great. catchy.cool RUNNERS UP----- Welcome to the jungle-----I LOVE IT!!!!! whenever i go into my computer it sings it Which describes how your feeling-----dodododododododododo. fun See the constalation----PLEH! PLEH!! PLEH!!! Shes an angel-----good beat. especially chorus. lyrics hits close to home the end of the tour-----powerful,good beat,and even a little rockin The bells are ringing-----mostly because of what the song means. a little sad actually WELL THERE YOU HAVE IT. feel free to comment!!!! please!!!!!!! oh yeah,and if the daughter of JOY,umm,i forget the last name is on the list,e-mail me. my mom (audrey)is a friend of your mom!! oh, and does anyone know how long it takes them to mail what you ordered in the catalog? thanks ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 01:01:23 -0400 Subject: Recent TMBG articles? Has anyone seen any FS reviews or other recent articles other than Billboard? nick ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: Recent TMBG articles? Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:17:16 -0700 FS was reviewed in my local newspaper and they gave it 3 out of 5 stars. They said that it was a decent album and shows that TMBG is still growing, and still has some growing to do. I can post it if anyone wants me to. ---------- > From: PACQUISTO@aol.com > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: Recent TMBG articles? > Date: Saturday, October 12, 1996 10:01 PM > > Has anyone seen any FS reviews or other recent articles other than Billboard? > > > > nick ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 01:19:46 -0400 Subject: cool sounds!!!! hey,if you havent already,check out http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy then go to tmbg sounds. they have the funniest sounds from their concerts like jon l. saying "fuck you" to a "heckler" jon l. messing up the lryic to many songs jon f. messing up. alright goodnight ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:02:21 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: OATs'n'hay Hideho, everyone, So my dorm had a party last night, right? I made it my personal mission to have the dj play as much They as I could get away with. I'm pleased to say that it went well. The dj was a friend of mine from down the hall, who has all the makings of a good Giant-head. We played Ana Ng, Cowtown, New York City, Until My Head Falls Off, Twisting, The Famous Polka (preceeded by the dj yelling, "EVERYBODY POLKA!!"), and WDTSS? (fast version). The tepid reception to the last one surprised me. At our dorm sing-a-long a few days ago we sang WDTSS? (slow version) and everyone loved it. I'd thought that everyone would be loving the fast version, but that didn't happen... peculiar. I believe that TMBG was played more than any other group, and the overall reaction was positive. I'll have the entire dorm converted yet! Muahahahahahahaha. Anyone know: 1) when They are coming to the Sacramento or Bay Area? 2) when Moxy Fruvous is coming to the Sacramento or Bay Area? Oh yeah, my top five TMBG songs. (Hmm... this IS really hard.) I won't rank them, that would make it way waaaaay too hard. Fingertips-- so serious and yet so goofy They'll Need A Crane-- great melody, wonderful lyrics... the antithesis to all those sappy love songs you hear on the radio Mrs. Train-- a train-like song The Statue Got Me High-- the classic TMBG combo of an uplifting melody and depressing words Why Does The Sun Shine?-- in my dorm, this song is becoming associated with me. Only _one_ group is cool enough to cover an educational song and not sound didactic or dumb. --nicole the wonder nerd the inspector over the hers who _will_ be bringing a broom to any They concert she is lucky enough to attend. Anyone know what happened to the t-shirt idea? *** ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-280 ******************************