Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-282 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 282 Tuesday, 15 October 1996 Today's Topics: Re: cool sounds!!!! Older Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-277 Too sharp? broom / statue.mov (kinda urgent !) Re: Ondine's Curse Re: My big Five....... The TMBG Music Library Quality, Not Quantity Re: My Turn Re: Quality, Not Quantity BOBA MAIL: 5 Fave Songs Don't look back! Don't look back! Re: Quality, Not Quantity STOP THE TMBG BASHING!!!!!!! What key is Particle Man in? Re: They reference Philly Concert Re: Don't look back! S-E-X-X-Y Release Date!? Comments on threads in the group... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-277 Re: Don't look back! My Favourite Five singing saws RE: Chords Re: OOPS! My top 5 TMBG songs We'll miss you when you're gone - Ruminations on Philly 10/13 Factory Showroom puts Giant funk on the floor Arf? Taste of DC Re: Arf? Re: Factory Showroom puts Giant funk on the floor How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH Re: Arf? Re: Quality, Not Quantity Re: Comments on threads in the group... Re: help and stuff Re: moxy Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-278 hours/days Spy Re: Quality, Not Quantity Taste of DC Concert Bow Wow Wow exposed? Not Arf! Taste of DC Set List DC set list erm, help, por favor Fwd: Quality, Not Quantity Re: DC set list Stomp Box, why? Re: Fwd: Quality, Not Quantity Re: erm, help, por favor Re: DC set list (fwd) Re: We'll miss you when you're gone - Ruminations on Philly 10/13 Hello Radio Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Re: cool sounds!!!! Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 16:26:34 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" Someone called 'Jordan1c@aol.com' wrote : > hey,if you havent already,check out > http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy > then go to tmbg sounds. they have the funniest sounds from their concerts > like > jon l. saying "fuck you" to a "heckler" > jon l. messing up the lryic to many songs > jon f. messing up. alright goodnight > what frequency are these sounds supposed to be played in? ive tried a few...and it just sounds like indistinguishable noise to me :( tamara. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 02:35:41 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Older Hi. There's been renewed talk of "Older" recently and I thought it would be a good time to remind you that, as far as I know, the first time Older ever appeared on the Internet was on mine and Mrklaw's web page, Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour . It's still there, and it's nestled within a lovely ever-expanding collection of interesting live TMBG moments. So go check it out. Oh yeah, I'm back! I was gone but now I'm back. I'm sure my absence dealt a death blow to all of your lives. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 05:58:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-277 Howdy do, Has anyone made the connection between the style of Pet Name and, well, any Squeeze song? Dunno, I always thought TMBG sounded a bit like Squeeze, but this just takes the cake. I wonder if they're fans....hmm....oh well... -di ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 06:42:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Too sharp? On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > 10. James K. Polk > > About tied with the other version. In other words, good. The singing > > saw takes some getting used to, but it's pretty good. > > > > I like the saw, it's just the fact that it's constantly too sharp that bugs me. > > [On an unrelated (but too sharp as well) note, listen to "Monday, Monday," > by The Mamas and the Papas. It starts out with some a capella vocals, > but then they are joined by an instrumental track that is approximately > a quarter-step sharper! Kind of jarring.] You know, I noticed today something related to this that bugged me. I was listening to Tryptophane (which is a Mono Puff song on the Devil EP just in case anyone did not know) and I thought I was having audio hallucinations or something because all of a sudden the song started to go flat, like if I was listening to a tape on a battery-operated cassette player and the batteries were dying. It really unnerved me, I'd never heard that before, and trust me, I've listened to Tryptophane *a lot*. I listened to the song again, thinking maybe I was just tired or something, but the same thing happened. It was like the instrumental track decided it was tired or something. Really freaked me out. And on a related Tryptophane note, today is Thanksgiving in Canada. So all you Canadians out there, don't overdose on the Tryptophane :) We don't want any reports of you falling asleep due to too much turkey!!! :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org If you had everything, where would you keep it? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:25:52 +0100 (GMT+0100) From: Borja_Landa Subject: broom / statue.mov (kinda urgent !) I know you may have talked about broom.mov before but where does it come from ? and why doesn't statue.mov work properly ??? I'd like to get an answer quickly because I don't know if I'll have e-mail tomorrow ! thanks InSV ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:48:00 EST Subject: Re: Ondine's Curse > *Ondine's Curse* > Primary alveolar hypoventilation. (ie, you don't breathe enough) > > Patients with this problem die at night. It's possibly a brainstem disorder. > Treatment: phrenic nerve pacing and tracheostomy. > > (that is, diaphram stimulation and a hole in the throat) > Also, Ondine is a character in some play that I can't remember the name of. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "The Bells Are Ringing" - ThEy MiGhT bE gIaNtS "What Else Would They Do?" - My Brother, Mark boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm or check out my bootlegs: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 09:08:13 -0400 Subject: Re: My big Five....... >3. She Was a Hotel Detective (the version off of Back to >Skull); I swear, I can listen to this song for days on end and >never get tired of it. Proof positive that dance music does not >have to be bad. Yup, this and "Welcome To The Jungle" are the 2 that slipped my mind when I made my fave list. >Spiralling Shape - for some reason, I expect to hear "Terriers" >after this one. Haha! :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 09:38:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: The TMBG Music Library First, I am going to assume that most of the stuff on John Henry and Factory Showroom was new material. However, doesn't TMBG still have a huge library of unrecorded music? Say that in addition to the 14 tracks included on FS, they also added another 6 that were previously unreleased? Considering that most everyone seems to like the early stuff, it would certainly make sense. Perhaps the 18 unreleased tracks will be these oldies. Also, anyone know if Welcome to the Jungle will be either on Superfueled Freaksicle or Then? I have only heard the Midi version of this, but it sounds like a great song. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 09:44:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Quality, Not Quantity Personally, I don't really follow this whole "I wish it were longer, I wish it had more songs". I think people are expecting FS to be to much like older albums. But the simple fact is, that although earlier albums had a lot more songs, not all of them were keepers so to speak. For instance, Apollo 18 is great, but some of the individual songs (especially the B-sides) just weren't that great (Narrow Your Eyes, See the Constellation). I'm not saying I don't like them (oh yeah, and songs like Hot Cha and Lucky Ball and Chain off Flood), but I could certainly do without them....i.e., the albums would actually even improve with those songs taken out. They are good as filler, and to round out the sound of the album, but thats it. Personally, I think it is an improvement for FS to have only 13 tracks, but each track seems to be high quality and polished. I personally wish they could have thrown in SenSurround, Older, Unforgotten, I've Got a World That Swings, etc. since there was enough room, and singles don't seem to be such a big thing anyway. However, this album is still longer than some (most albums, including Unsupervised, only go to about half an hour). Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:27:44 -0400 Subject: Re: My Turn Brandon Callison wrote: >Don't you see he's talking about the cheap worthless time filling >'rock'? I mean, look at 'Why Must I be Sad' and 'I Should be Allowed to >Think.' MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! You've just flamed two of my favorite songs. PREPARE TO DIE!!! *hits big red button on the keyboard* And while the nuclear warheads streak towards you house, let me tell you why 'Why Must I be Sad' and 'I Should Be Allowed To Think' are great songs so that before you get turned into a whiff of hydrogen oxide... The reason why those songs are great is because they rock, but have innovative and interesting lyrics. I think it's pretty damn cool, that They turned Alice Cooper songs into lyrics and of course, they get mega-props for quoting "How;" in I should be allowed to think. And as for Them using "blended, mushed, boring, nonunique chords." I can't claim to know Guitar Chords, but I've never heard songs anything like WMIBS and ISBATT. OH MY GOD! The DJ on THE most mainstream radio station in NY just announced they're going to play something off of Factory Showroom, it'll probably be S-E-X-X-Y...let's see...Well, I'm happy now, so I'll call of the warheads, but consider yourself warned... ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Quality, Not Quantity Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:12:26 -0500 (CDT) > instance, Apollo 18 is great, but some of the individual songs > (especially the B-sides) just weren't that great (Narrow Your Eyes, See > the Constellation). I'm not saying I don't like them (oh yeah, and songs > like Hot Cha and Lucky Ball and Chain off Flood), but I could certainly You see, here we have a huge differing in opinion. Almost without hesitation, I can shout out that See the Constellation is my favorite TMBG song. Ever. I don't really know why - there's just something about the song that really klicks with me... Hot Cha, definitely without a doubt is my favorite song from Flood... The other two you mentioned are right up there, too... I'm afraid I'm gonna have to take the opposite opinion, saying that the albums would degenerate with the lack of those songs.... > anyway. However, this album is still longer than some (most albums, > including Unsupervised, only go to about half an hour). Actually, most albums (excluding Unsupervised), only go for about 45 minutes, whereas Unsupervised only goes for about 30.... Yeah, they're all on the short side, but FS is just about as long as the rest... ***********ON A COMPLETELY UNRELATED NOTE: Our college radio station actually got the promo FS CD... I was soooo impressed. I'm from one of those small, ultra-conservative colleges, and yet our radio station (I've got a show) gets the coolest music... They got Marylin Manson's new album, some new stuff by KMFDM, the new Tool, Pet... Wow. I was so impressed. And they even have The Chipmunk's version of Hakuna Matata! (You know, those high-speed-dubbingish chipmunk people)... Wow.... May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by FIRE / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:47:03 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: 5 Fave Songs (According to me) In no order the five coolest songs by TMBG are: No One Knows My Plan She Was A Hotel Detective Twisting She's An Angel Older Boba out. -Matthew Ondrey "The Bells Are Ringing" - ThEy MiGhT bE gIaNtS "What Else Would They Do?" - My Brother, Mark boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm or check out my bootlegs: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:16:44 -0400 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: Don't look back! I just re-joined this mailing list and think it's great! When it was first resurrected it was huge and filled with personal garbage (maybe 1 or 2 posts being TMBG related). Now it is huge and it's 99 and 44/100% pure TMBG! > How old are John and John????? I think they must be in their > thirties, do you guys know? > Kathleen I believe they are 36 and 37 yrs old, respectively. I am going to the Roseland show 11/8 in NYC. I would bring a broom but I feel the chances of the security guards actually letting people into a concert with a long wooden/plastic stick would be quite small. Saturday morning I picked up FS ($10.99). My QUICK review goes like this: FS is their best CD since JH. I will listen to it until my head falls off. My 5 favorite TMBG songs list is: 5. Turn Around- It really hits home. 4. End of the Tour- It makes me laugh. 4. Don't Lets Start- The 1st verse TOTALLY sums up TMBG lyrical style. Well, maybe sort of. 3. Birdhouse- It is the song that got me hooked, lined, and sinkered. 1. World's Address- I've been trying to tell everyone that AE and C were WRONG! But no one ever listens to me! Uh, nevermind. My top 5 list just changed! Erik Chuss ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:16:47 -0400 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: Don't look back! I just re-joined this mailing list and think it's great! When it was first resurrected it was huge and filled with personal garbage (maybe 1 or 2 posts being TMBG related). Now it is huge and it's 99 and 44/100% pure TMBG! > How old are John and John????? I think they must be in their > thirties, do you guys know? > Kathleen I believe they are 36 and 37 yrs old, respectively. I am going to the Roseland show 11/8 in NYC. I would bring a broom but I feel the chances of the security guards actually letting people into a concert with a long wooden/plastic stick would be quite small. Saturday morning I picked up FS ($10.99). My QUICK review goes like this: FS is their best CD since JH. I will listen to it until my head falls off. My 5 favorite TMBG songs list is: 5. Turn Around- It really hits home. 4. End of the Tour- It makes me laugh. 4. Don't Lets Start- The 1st verse TOTALLY sums up TMBG lyrical style. Well, maybe sort of. 3. Birdhouse- It is the song that got me hooked, lined, and sinkered. 1. World's Address- I've been trying to tell everyone that AE and C were WRONG! But no one ever listens to me! Uh, nevermind. My top 5 list just changed! Erik Chuss ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:26:08 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Re: Quality, Not Quantity >Personally, I don't really follow this whole "I wish it were longer, I >wish it had more songs". I think people are expecting FS to be to much >like older albums. But the simple fact is, that although earlier albums >had a lot more songs, not all of them were keepers so to speak. >Personally, I think it is an improvement for FS to have only 13 tracks, >but each track seems to be high quality and polished. The problem is that with most albums, no matter how high quality or polished the songs might be, there are almost always going to be one or two songs on the album that you feel just don't compare. If you have fewer songs, and espescially if the songs are longer, then the ratio of bad songs to good songs increases (forgive me, I'm an engineer). I also don't find the FS tracks to be of any higher quality then They's early works, just longer. Also, half of the allure of a TMBG album is that there are so many songs, all of different types, that it becomes hard to even approach being "bored" with an album. Because FS has so few songs, and the songs are so long, this is actually a potential problem. Anyways, I like FS, don't get the opinion that I don't. I'm just of the opinion that I would have liked it more if they had followed the John Henry style of quantity. Will (who is tired of people bashing on JH as a turn for the worse on the part of TMBG because, in his own opinion, it put out some of the best TMBG music to date). ============================================================= Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ============================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:25:45 -0500 From: "//R@sCaL\\\\" Subject: STOP THE TMBG BASHING!!!!!!! //R@sCaL\\ says: You guys don't seem to realize that bands never just stay the same, they grow and change cause nobody wants to do the same stuff all the time. Look at the music indusrty today does REM, STP & Alice in Chains, they're all way diffrent then how they started out same with TMBG. TMBG kinda started as a parody/fun band an alternative from the monotonous crud that other bands are putting out now its only natural that TMBG would start reflecting the music indusrty around them. Besides as 'Spiraling Shape' & 'Exquisite Dead Guy' proves you have nothing to worry about they're still the same old guys they're just experimenting in new areas! //R@sCaL\\ "Forever is a long time" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:37:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: What key is Particle Man in? I observed something strange the other day. As I was playing my accordion along with various songs, I found that it sounded horribly off key during the album version of Particle Man, but perfectly normal with the live version. I was playing it in C, and discovered that on the album it's in A. Anyone know why they changed it? I think the same thing happens with Whistling in the Dark, except that's in about 4 different keys on the album anyway... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:39:38 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: Re: They reference >I did a search on a music store online and it returned this CD in a search >of TMBG, with them as "featured performer"... anyone know anything about >this? > >I'm Gonna Love You 'Til I Don't >Otis Ball >Compact Disc $14.99 >s o n g l i s t > >3. Walk On Water They (and that's with a capital "T", mind you) sing backup vocals on Otis' wonderful song "Walk on Water." I've got it and "Hooray for Flowers" on the second Bar/None sampler. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:40:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Ira Adler Subject: Philly Concert Hey everyone! Just wanted to say that the Philly concert, my first TMBG concert ever, was totally rockin! Flans seemed really energetic and to be having a good time. Linnell really didn't seem to enjoy himself till the encores... I dunno though... maybe that's just Linnell... At least he didn't pass out.... I guess that's a good thing... There were really two highlights of the concert for me... First, my friend got a recording of the show. (Security searched NO ONE)... then again, i guess people could have gotten weapons inside, and that would have been bad... Also, toward the end of the show (and I still have no idea how I was able to do this,) I made my way toward the front, through all the pushing and shoving. By the end of the show (after two encores) I was right against the gate between the stage and the crowd. So, I made friends with a security guard... I asked him in my nicest tone of voice if they were giving out set lists, and he told me that since he was down in front of the stage he couldn't get them... I don't know why he said this, because at that next moment, he went backstage and got the setlists... I guess, since I asked him, he came to me before anyone else, and slipped me a set list! YEAH! Here it is as written... Sublim sing snail sun spider guitar xtc / exq particle actual worst nyc polk twist til my sexxy spiral ensor sleep "no" intro dig -------- older nyquil bird -------- istan lost spyyy For the last encore, i'm not sure why, but they played They got lost, the spy, then istanbul... Your guess is as good as mine... Before playing spy, Flans said... 'ok, this is our last song, it's called The Blues in B minus... I thought that was pretty funny. Linnell conducted the improv section... The funniest thing of the night was during the improv. Thye had a trumpeter, and a trombonist, by the way... So Flans is conducting the trombonist, and suddenly Graham Maby (That's the bass player, right?) puts down his base and picks up a trombone and start playing with the trombone player. Shortly after that, Flans put down his guitar in favor of a trombone. The kicker was when Brian Doherty also started playing a trombone... So these four trombones were playing, Linnell was playing keyboard, and the trumpeter came down and played a kick ass solo (By the way, at this point I was being crushed, attempting to get to the front)... Suddenly, they break into Istanbul... At the end of Istanbul, the band does this huge wave goodbye thing to tell the crowd that they're not coming back... All in all a really good show and a really good evening of fun... BTW, I saw no brooms. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:13:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: Don't look back! > > How old are John and John????? I think they must be in their > > thirties, do you guys know? > > I believe they are 36 and 37 yrs old, respectively. Actually, I meant to post this earlier, but John L. turned 34 on June 12 (my brother's b-day) and John F. was 33 at that time, although I don't know his birthday. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:41:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: S-E-X-X-Y Release Date!? Hi, I was wondering if anybody on the "list" (the digest people will probably get this too late) can confirm or deny the claim that the single will be coming out tomorrow, October 15th. I plan on going off campus from my high school in the middle of the day if it is indeed out. However, I don't want to come back angry and bitter as I did on Sept. 24th! Anyway, anybody with up to the minute information...PLEASE email me :) Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html The EFnet #TMBG Home Page ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:48:56 -0500 (CDT) From: harris james andrew Subject: Comments on threads in the group... 1. TMBG's longest songs are all remixes. ("Guitar", "World's Address", etc.) Of the non-remixes, "Sleeping In the Flowers" and "The Guitar" are the longest, as far as I can figure out, anyway...dispute this if you must. "Spiralling Shape" is pretty long, too. The SHORTEST song ("Fingertips" doesn't even count!) is "Toddler Hiway". 23 seconds, as I recall. (Somebody mentioned something about song length) 2. Sandman. GREAT comic! I knew there was a Sandman-Tori Amos connection (a rather large one...but that's for alt.music.toriamos) but a Sandman-TMBG connection is news to me. I never read those issues, so that's news to me. 3. Accordions. I said something earlier about missing accordions on FS and it got deconstructed. Yeah, yeah, yeah...there ARE accordions on "Metal Detector" sure, but that's getting REAL picky. The accordions are buried deep in the mix. It's not like the Misc. T "Kiss Me Son Of God" or "Hope that I Get Before I die" or anything. Or even "Particle Man" for that matter...the accordions are NOT OBVIOUS. That's what I meant. 4. My favorite TMBG Songs... Kiss Me Son Of God (both versions) Ana Ng Cowtown Birdhouse In Your Soul (I don't care if that's their most popular song or not) I Palindrome I She's An Angel Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head Hey, Mr. DJ, I thought you said we had a deal No one knows my plan (I HATE the JH album, mind you, but something good came out of it) Til My Head Falls Off (Already an instant favorite) I know that's a bit more than five, but still...it's hard to name just five. My Album ranking... WORST TO BEST John Henry. Miserable and misguided. Very few high points. Bad TMBG is still better than most of the crap out there, and I'd rather listen to it than Alanis Morrisette or that crappy band TMBG is touring with, but still... (Point of note...Tony Maimone, former TMBG bassist, played bass for one of my other musical gods, Bob Mould...it's a small world after all) Misc. T. Only for diehard fans. Really good in parts, but taken as a whole, it's really hard to swallow. Apollo 18. Really energetic, and with a lot of genre skipping and TMBGish qualities, but somehow not as much fun to listen to as other albums. Factory Showroom. "Pet Name" sucks, but the rest of it is pretty solid and representative of what TMBG are. The full band experiment works this time around too, instead of the "alternative" new sound of the JH album, we get a very retro groove. ("I can Hear You" is REALLY retro...19th century...) Flood. Gets the kids hooked. Some of it is real crappy, though..."Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love"? This song isn't turning up on any favorite songs list...Not quite as accessible as other albums, in my opinion, which is strange since this one sold the most copies... Self-titled (why can't people just call it the self-titled album or the first album as opposed to the Pink album or the big blue dog album? Never understood that...) Half of this album is sheer genius. The other half is barely listenable, annoying, and grating. The many good songs and charm of the album make up for the really rough sound). Lincoln. Total genius. Not a bad song or a misstep on it. Fun, accessible, catchy...I'm amazed THIS isn't the most popular album. Even the occasionally grating, bizarre sounds add to it, much more than the first. (What the hell is that buzzing on "Cowtown" anyway?) Am going now. Jim Harris "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" - TMBG, "Where your eyes don't go" ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-277 Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:11:01 -0500 (EST) > > Has anyone made the connection between the style of Pet Name and, > well, any Squeeze song? > > Oh, at least a couple of times...:-) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:21:31 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Don't look back! On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Amy wrote: > > > How old are John and John????? I think they must be in their > > > thirties, do you guys know? > > > > I believe they are 36 and 37 yrs old, respectively. > > Actually, I meant to post this earlier, but John L. turned 34 on June 12 > (my brother's b-day) and John F. was 33 at that time, although I don't > know his birthday. According to reliable sources on the newsgroup, John Linnell was born in 1959, and John Flansburgh in 1960. The timeline plays out. 1977: both graduated from Lincoln-Sudbury HS, Linnell went to NYC, Flansburgh to college. Flans 17, Linnell 18. 1981: Flansburgh and Linnell move into the same apartment building in NYC on the same day, making Flansburgh 21 and Linnell 22 1982: TMBG formed, first show played, John Linnell's thing about the 23 fans, 23 songs, making 23 dollars each, and him being 23 at the time 1984: Dial-A-Song born on Flansburgh's answering machine, first demo tape cut 1985: Picked up by Bar/None, the fez becomes fashionable again. 1986: Big Blue Dog album released, Flans 26, Linnell 27. 1996: Factory Showroom released, TMBG.com finished, Flans 36, Linnell 37. Check out the Early Years FAQ for more info...http://execpc.com/~jerk/ey_faq > Amy :) > cowtown@tmbg.org > The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, > there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but > government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words. It figures. Browne for Pres. www.harrybrowne96.org S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:53:17 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: My Favourite Five Hello. Top Five at this Moment in Time (in no order other than alphabetical) : Ana Ng Birdhouse in Your Soul Don't Let's Start Spiral(l)ing Shape They'll Need a Crane Honorable Mentions (similarly ordered) : I Blame You Metal Detector Nightgown of the Sullen Moon She Was a Hotel Detective (BTS) She's an Angel We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime Thank you all for your valuable time. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:21:27 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: singing saws if you want to see a guy playing a singing saw, and see a damn good movie to go along with it, watch "Delicatessen." Look for it in the "foreign" films section of your local video rental establishment. Sarah Cooke "Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought; have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself." --TMBG ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: Chords Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 14:26:00 P I am about 1/2 of the way through, until my head falls off, and NY city. I haven't tried THe bells are ringin gyet. doesn't sound touhg. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:47:35 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: OOPS! My top 5 TMBG songs On Sun, 20 Jan 1980, kathleen jo faulconer wrote: > That was fun! Now someone else try! Ok, here're are mine: 5. Lie Still, Little Bottle 4. Son of God 3. Metal Detector & Till My Head Falls Off 2. Hey Mister DJ And my all time favourite song by Them (and anyone) is... 1. My Evil Twin No one else seems to love this song so much as I, but that's ok, it's a great song and I can have it all to myself! :) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 16:47:55 -0400 (EDT) From: John Nolt Subject: We'll miss you when you're gone - Ruminations on Philly 10/13 The Electric Factory concert on Sunday went off quite well. Better than the 9:30 Club show in DC earlier this month, and on a par with the first time i saw TMBG in Lancaster PA a few months back. It's unfortunate for the members of Buzz Zeemer that no one took them aside early in their careers and offered them positions in the food service industry. That lead guitarist must have a salivation disorder, since he kept spitting large globules on the stage... it's a miracle Flansberg didn't slip and break his neck on a slick spot. Speaking of Buzz Zeemer- Did anyone notice the amazing amount of variation in the tempos (tempi tempu temparooney) of their songs? "What's that up on the stage? It's a weak variation of Candy Butchers with a Counting-Crows-guy-frat-boy-impersonator!" Congratulations to Mike Viola of the aforementioned Candy Butchers, frequent opening act for TMBG, on "That Thing You Do" and his role as the voice of the band in Tom Hanks latest picture! *clap* *clap* *clap* Boy, did we miss you guys on Sunday.... This was the first time I had seen the Exquisite Dead Guy puppets.... verrry funny. There is no feeling as good as that which I felt upon hearing/feeling the first strains of Birdhouse In Your Soul.... it's an epic, classic, Stairway to Heaven-esque masterpiece. And when did the entire band learn to play the trombone? Love Smiley back there on the drums... solid, man, solid. In any case, I'm beginning to wonder if relations between the Johns are strained at all.... they seem to have little or no repartee between each other during the concert. Granted, they've been together long enough for ESP to have set in but they rarely look at each other, much less seem to be playing together. It's kind of like they both happen to be on the stage, playing the same song at the same time. Such dour ponderings didn't keep me from enjoying a highly energized show.. the horn section was in fine form, and I just can't get enough wah-wah pedal. Although.... I sure wish Flansburgh would get over his enthusiasm for saying "f*cked-up"... then he goes and plays to the morons (myself among them) in the over-21 section. We love ya just the way ya are, bub. Oh, and SCREAMING into the microphone doesn't sound good at all. Some of us would like to be able to hear your songs *after* the first number. Speaking of the crowd I could have smacked the jerk in front of me... sits there in a prime spot smoking cigarettes (throwing the empty pack into the throng below) and then leaves before the first encore. The bastard. Why did he show up? Must've been on Buzz Zeemer's guest list.... bah! Phooey! Mr. Cool John Linnell, M.C. John Flansburgh- You're the greatest, thanks for a fine, fine show. John Nolt eclogue@microserve.net http://www.microserve.net/~eclogue/index.html Thanks for sharing ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:38:25 -0400 From: David Gonzalez Organization: Harvard/Smithsonian Center For Astrophysics Subject: Factory Showroom puts Giant funk on the floor This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------4AE7469D2726 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Found this review........ drg Factory Showroom puts Giant funk on the floor KAREN NICOLETTI ---------------------------------------------------------------------- The Oklahoma Daily MUSICREVIEW Factory Showroom Artist: They Might Be Giants Label: Elektra Entertainment (four out of five stars) The members of They Might Be Giants must have been inspired by Harry Connick Jr.'s leap into funk, because they took one of their own. The band's sixth long-playing album, Factory Showroom, starts with "S-E-X-X-Y," a jazzy funk song that is uncharacteris tic of most of TMBG's music. "S-E-X-X-Y" is the album's first single. [Image] Elektra Records FROM THE FACTORY - The members of They Might Be Giants release their sixth full-length studio album, Factory Showroom. One thing is certain: TMBG has put a full band - as opposed to bizarre lyrics - at the helm of its attempt to entertain. Until John Henry, the band's last album, guitars and percussion took a back seat. You'll still hear the singer's nasal whine, but less of it now that TMBG has returned with a full band. Joining the musical instrument buffet on Factory Showroom are Graham Maby on bass and Eric Shermerhorn on lead guitar. Factory Showroom features some of the PHONELINE harshest sounds in the band's repertoire of more than 120 songs. TMBG found a middle You can call the They ground for the guitar and the usual pre-John Might Be Giants Henry dominant instruments: violins, "Dial-a-Song" hotline keyboards, horns and bells. at: The new album is not as good as Flood, the (718) 387-6962 1990 release, if you prefer the low background music to flooding guitar noise. "XTC vs. Adam Ant" begins with a screeching electric guitar that pops back in throughout the song. Forget the feeling the name gives off - the guitar alone is reminiscent of the '80s. In "Spiralling Shape," the xylophone takes over in the last half of th e song, reasserting the band's unique style. "I Can Hear You" dips into an Olympic-sized pool of sounds. The song contains a spoken message and sung lyrics about a car: "This is a warning/ Step away from the car/ This car is protected by Viper." The lyrics were presumably sung through either a '40s microphone or a drive-through window speaker. The background music wails like the depressing chord progressions in The Beatles' "A Day in the Life." Bells chime in "New York City," an album highlight, and "The Bells Are Ringing." Bells give these songs the upbeat gaiety associated with TMBG songs. Old tricks return in the album's 13 songs. The duo harmonizes Ba-ba-da-ba-ba's on "Exquisite Dead Guy." With the harp and deep thumps of the bass guitar, it ends up jazzy and one of the album's best songs. "How Can I Sing Like a Girl?" is rock meshed wit h regular TMBG melodies, a combination that finally lends a classification of TMBG's music: pure energized rock 'n' roll. Aside from the guitar noise that chokes several songs, the album is like vintage TMBG. Fans shouldn't be disappointed --------------4AE7469D2726 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1; name="factory.processed.html" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="factory.processed.html" Content-Base: "http://www.uoknor.edu/okdaily/issues/f all1996/sep-24/factory.processed.ht ml" Factory Showroom puts Giant funk on the floor

Home | Index | Archives | Feedback | Search

Factory Showroom puts Giant funk on the floor

KAREN NICOLETTI
The Oklahoma Daily

MUSICREVIEW

Factory Showroom

Artist: They Might Be Giants

Label: Elektra Entertainment

(four out of five stars)

The members of They Might Be Giants must have been inspired by Harry Connick Jr.'s leap into funk, because they took one of their own. The band's sixth long-playing album, Factory Showroom, starts with "S-E-X-X-Y," a jazzy funk song that is uncharacteris tic of most of TMBG's music. "S-E-X-X-Y" is the album's first single.

Elektra Records
FROM THE FACTORY - The members of They Might Be Giants release their sixth full-length studio album, Factory Showroom.

One thing is certain: TMBG has put a full band - as opposed to bizarre lyrics - at the helm of its attempt to entertain. Until John Henry, the band's last album, guitars and percussion took a back seat.

You'll still hear the singer's nasal whine, but less of it now that TMBG has returned with a full band. Joining the musical instrument buffet on Factory Showroom are Graham Maby on bass and Eric Shermerhorn on lead guitar.

PHONELINE

You can call the They Might Be Giants "Dial-a-Song" hotline at:

(718) 387-6962

Factory Showroom features some of the harshest sounds in the band's repertoire of more than 120 songs. TMBG found a middle ground for the guitar and the usual pre-John Henry dominant instruments: violins, keyboards, horns and bells.

The new album is not as good as Flood, the 1990 release, if you prefer the low background music to flooding guitar noise.

"XTC vs. Adam Ant" begins with a screeching electric guitar that pops back in throughout the song. Forget the feeling the name gives off - the guitar alone is reminiscent of the '80s. In "Spiralling Shape," the xylophone takes over in the last half of th e song, reasserting the band's unique style.

"I Can Hear You" dips into an Olympic-sized pool of sounds. The song contains a spoken message and sung lyrics about a car: "This is a warning/ Step away from the car/ This car is protected by Viper." The lyrics were presumably sung through either a '40s microphone or a drive-through window speaker. The background music wails like the depressing chord progressions in The Beatles' "A Day in the Life."

Bells chime in "New York City," an album highlight, and "The Bells Are Ringing." Bells give these songs the upbeat gaiety associated with TMBG songs.

Old tricks return in the album's 13 songs. The duo harmonizes Ba-ba-da-ba-ba's on "Exquisite Dead Guy." With the harp and deep thumps of the bass guitar, it ends up jazzy and one of the album's best songs. "How Can I Sing Like a Girl?" is rock meshed wit h regular TMBG melodies, a combination that finally lends a classification of TMBG's music: pure energized rock 'n' roll.

Aside from the guitar noise that chokes several songs, the album is like vintage TMBG. Fans shouldn't be disappointed.

Got something to say? Write a letter to the editor.
This article was published on Tuesday, September 24, 1996
Copyright © 1996 Publications Board, University of Oklahoma. All rights reserved.
This article may not be reprinted without the express written permission of The Oklahoma Daily.

Home | Index | Archives | Feedback | Search
Updated: September 23, 1996
About OU's Web
Disclaimer

--------------4AE7469D2726-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:35:30 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Arf? Hoylo, everyone, I was listening to FS today (and hey, who wasn't?) and I remarked, again, that I have NO IDEA who the "singer from Bow Wow Wow" mentioned in XTCVAA is. Anyone know? Presumably Bow Wow Wow is a band... anyone heard of them? Are they any good? Any particular significance to the fact that the singer can't make up her mind? I remember someone said that the I Am Not Your Broom movie has been reloaded on tmbg.com? I looked all over the site and couldn't find it. Can anyone help me out? I have the messed-up version and would much like the nice version. --nicole the wonder nerd who is not ANYONE's broom. *** ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:53:56 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Taste of DC AH! Awesome show! Hour and a half, awesome songs, including "Older" and "They Got Lost" ... Definitely makes up for the 9:30 club (great show then but crappy night) .. Some changes: NYC - Flansburgh used "hours" instead of "days" ("3 hours from new york city, and i'm.....") Linnell appeared to add/change some stuff when he speaks during the quiet parts of some songs (eg, "Snail Shell" where he goes "Ah" several times) Hmm.. and Flansburgh did that "Stayin' Alive" thing in AKA driver again. Awesome show. I taped it if anyone is interested in trading, though the bass liked screwing the sound quality in parts. I'll get a set list posted later tonight (And it was FREE!) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 19:01:12 -0400 Subject: Re: Arf? Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: Factory Showroom puts Giant funk on the floor That article from the Oklahoma Daily is my college newspaper!! The article is hanging up above my bed! wowie zow! Heather ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:35:23 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH So I spent most of my weekend listening to Factory Showroom, like I'm sure most of you did. HOwever, once in my car on the way home, I cranked that sucker up and sang at the top of my lungs. One thing that I've noticed about our friend Mr. Linnell is that he can be extremely hard to sing along with. My problem is mainly, that his key is at such a level that I'm either so deep that I feel like I'm choking, or so high that my voice breaks. On to my discovery, which is that J.L. sings in his talking voice. Which, I might add, I've often had to resort to, however, I didn't like it much. It is extremely hard on the vocal cords (at least I think so) and my voice kept breaking. Until I forced my voice partly through my noise, which, to my surprise, produced a voice very much like a female version of Linnell. Now I have no problem singing to his songs, which in general are my favourites. So that's a little tidbit for those who have had problems singing with our friend Linnell. I've also noticed in my ramblings through ya'll's posts that a lot of people seem to have quite the prejudice against John Henry. Why this is, I can't imagine since this album is so fabulous. I've read several posts saying that JH really jumps out of Their style, and is too long, and sucked, etc. Personally, I see JH as a natural conclusion to Apollo 18, what with the horns, and the added guitar use. I personally see that FS is more of a deviation from Their previous style- lots of strings, no horns, hardly any accordian (wah!), the song style is also differnt- the lyrics are a little more depressing, and they don't, to me, seem to be making the odd metaphores that we were finding in Lincoln and Flood, etc. Now, on length, I agree that some of the songs are too long, but then again, I say, the more Them, the better. I think they could have kicked "Unrelated Thing" off of the album (what _were_ they thining with this?) and it would have been perfect. Even so, I don't think any of the songs went beyond three and a half minutes. I don't know about FS, but the songs seem almost longer. What is the source of such hatred against such a good album? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:00:31 -0700 From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Organization: WorkSmart International Subject: Re: Arf? Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > Hoylo, everyone, > > I was listening to FS today (and hey, who wasn't?) and I remarked, again, > that I have NO IDEA who the "singer from Bow Wow Wow" mentioned in XTCVAA > is. Anyone know? Presumably Bow Wow Wow is a band... anyone heard of them? They're an 80's band. I have a mix tape that my friend made for me that has them on it, I'll have to give it a spin... > I remember someone said that the I Am Not Your Broom movie has been reloaded > on tmbg.com? I looked all over the site and couldn't find it. Can anyone > help me out? I have the messed-up version and would much like the nice version. Try this URL: http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/images/broom.mov. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 07:42:53 -0700 From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Organization: WorkSmart International Subject: Re: Quality, Not Quantity Justin Higgins wrote: >Apollo 18 is great, but some of the individual songs >(especially the B-sides) just weren't that great (Narrow Your Eyes, See > the Constellation). Whaaaat? Those are possibly two of the five best songs on the album (w/ I Palindrome I, My Evil Twin, and Fingertips...) I'd say the most "filler" tracks are If I Wasn't Shy and (don't shoot) Which Describes. And, BTW, I *like* Hypnotist of Ladies. > I personally wish they could have thrown in > SenSurround, Older, Unforgotten, I've Got a World That Swings, etc. Have you ever heard Unforgotten? Not much of a song. SenSurround and Older would have been quite welcome, though. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 07:51:13 -0700 From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Organization: WorkSmart International Subject: Re: Comments on threads in the group... harris james andrew wrote: > > 1. TMBG's longest songs are all remixes. ("Guitar", "World's Address", > etc.) Of the non-remixes, "Sleeping In the Flowers" and "The Guitar" are > the longest, as far as I can figure out, anyway What about "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?", which clocks in at over 4:30? > John Henry. Miserable and misguided. Very few high points. Bad TMBG is > still better than most of the crap out there, and I'd rather listen to it > than Alanis Morrisette or that crappy band TMBG is touring with, but still... > (Point of note...Tony Maimone, former TMBG bassist, played bass for one > of my other musical gods, Bob Mould...it's a small world after all) It's a pretty weak album (IMHO) but it's more of a general malaise and dullness than an actual badness. And there's more than just a few high points: NOKMP, End of the Tour, Destination Moon, Sleeping in the Flowers, and Meet James Ensor are all pretty good. > Misc. T. Only for diehard fans. Really good in parts, but taken as a > whole, it's really hard to swallow. I'd disagree. It's the strangest "album" (even moreso than Pink) but it's got a number of good songs. So, I agree with your ranking of it as low, but not with your opinion that it's a "poor" album. > Apollo 18. Really energetic, and with a lot of genre skipping and > TMBGish qualities, but somehow not as much fun to listen to as other albums. I, personally, find more fun here than anywhere else, Lincoln included. > Factory Showroom. "Pet Name" sucks, but the rest of it is pretty solid > and representative of what TMBG are. I *like* Pet Name. The difference threw a lot of people off, but when you get down to it, it has good lyrics and a nice melody. Still weaker than most of the album, but worthy of at least some respect. And I agree with your assessment of the album and it's "sound." > Flood. Gets the kids hooked. Some of it is real crappy, > though..."Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love"? This song isn't turning up on > any favorite songs list...Not quite as accessible as other albums, in my > opinion, which is strange since this one sold the most copies... This is so perfect. > Self-titled (why can't people just call it the self-titled album or the > first album as opposed to the Pink album or the big blue dog album? > Never understood that...) You obviously weren't here back then. :) > Half of this album is sheer genius. The other half is barely listenable, > annoying, and grating. The many good songs and charm of the album make up > for the really rough sound). That's it exactly...the good songs (which are far better than much of Flood and JH) are amazing, but the crap gets in the way. Too much outright "quirkiness" and not enough effort put into making the quirky songs sound good. > Lincoln. Total genius. Not a bad song or a misstep on it. Fun, > accessible, catchy...I'm amazed THIS isn't the most popular album. Even > the occasionally grating, bizarre sounds add to it, much more than the > first. (What the hell is that buzzing on "Cowtown" anyway?) But it *is* the most popular album... Anyway, I like Lincoln a lot. 'Nuff said. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:50:10 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: help and stuff On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, Heather Tinkler wrote: > On a more TMBG note.. > I have a theory on the HCISLAG song... Does anyone know of this > guy from the time that Bonanza was on (my grandparents told me this > story a long time ago..) but anyways, this guy looked kindof like a > girl, and really sang like a girl. Because he was a good singer, he > was popular, but at the same time he was often ridiculed because he > was kind of feminine, even though it wasn't his fault. I know he was > on a Bonanza episode a long time ago..(and no, I don't watch bonanza). > I also saw a picture of him at a resteraunt that my grandparents took > me to. Anyways, prob. WAY off.. but a theory none the less!!! > A possibility, but I think on tmbg.com, in the explanation of the song, it kind of came from Flasy compalining about having to "sing like a girl on demand." I love this line. I think of it often. It makes me chuckle. (HA HA HA!) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:21:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: moxy Yeah Fruvous is great. I have most of their albums. Do you notice any similarity to They? I was especially struck by "Bittersweet" and "Laika" on the Bargainville album. Don't get me wrong though--they can't touch TMBG! -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:26:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-278 I can't get it, and it's really frustrating! In fact I did post something about that (I went to 5 different stores last Tuesday) Maybe it'll be there tomorrow--I haven't been able to get any straight info. As far as I know no one in Canada has it. -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: hours/days Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:07:26 -0400 (EDT) I thought Flans said "miles" instead of "hours" at the Taste of DC, although hours would make a little more sense (but it's more like 5 hours not 3 tfrom NY to DC). Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Spy Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:44:26 -0400 (EDT) Actually at the Philly show Flans said "The Blues in A Minus" for Spy. And yes, no brooms, but there were a couple at the DC show including one that had no head and said Perot all over it. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:00:28 -0500 From: Jim Doolittle Subject: Re: Quality, Not Quantity >Justin Higgins wrote: > >>Apollo 18 is great, but some of the individual songs >>(especially the B-sides) just weren't that great (Narrow Your Eyes, See >> the Constellation). > >Whaaaat? Those are possibly two of the five best songs on the album (w/ >I Palindrome I, My Evil Twin, and Fingertips...) I'd say the most >"filler" tracks are If I Wasn't Shy and (don't shoot) Which Describes. >And, BTW, I *like* Hypnotist of Ladies. I feel I'm going to have to speak up here...Apollo 18 is my favorite TMBG albumn, FS notwithstanding. The only songs I don't care for would be Which Describes and Fingertips (although it's all right, just not my favorite). The last quarter from If I Wasn't Shy to the end is my favorite part of the albumn. There is very little 'filler' material in this albumn IMHO. It's hard to pick a top five....but I will say that Turn Around is my favorite Giants song...although NYC is growing on me. -Jim Jim Doolittle doolittl@uiuc.edu or gimli@avara.com If it weren't for disapointments, To err is human, I wouldn't have any appointments." to moo, bovine. -They Might Be Giants RSC Peer Consultant ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~~`http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl'~"~~'`~'`"``"~"~ ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 22:01:40 -0400 Subject: Taste of DC Concert Hey Everyone! It's Monday at 10 and I just got back a few hours ago from the Taste of DC concert. Despite being a half an hour late (DAMN METRO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS), the concert was great (even only one hour). Among the songs were "NYC," "Until My Head Falls Off" (my favorite off FS),"Spiralling Shape," "James K. Polk" (with a Linnell gesture towards the Treasury building when he sang "he built an independant treasury.") "Older," and "They Got Lost." Among others. The crowd was good, except during "Dig My Grave," when I had to leave out of fear of being crushed. After the show ended, I went around the back of the stage (it was outside) and saw (and shook hands with) Mr. Linnell, who seemed to be in a mighty big rush to get out of there. The coolest thing about the concert though, was meeting the honorable Mr. Matt James and Ms. Sara Richter, two fine people. I also saw David from the AOL Cowtown room. It was like a big party. My bed is calling my name, and I must go to it. Love, Neal ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Bow Wow Wow exposed? Not Arf! Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:04:19 -0500 (EST) > that I singer > > Her name is Anabella, I think (at least that's the name on the Bow Wow Wow > tape I just got from a friend). Bow Wow Wow was indeed a new wave/dance band > in the early 80's; I think their biggest hit was "I Want Candy." The > connection is that Anabella was once a member of Adam and the Ants, before he > became just Adam Ant. I've read that in several articles as well as heard it > mentioned in some 80's retrospective, so I'm pretty sure that's accurate. > I doubt that Annabella was an Ant: she was only about fifteen when the band Bow Wow Wow was formed. That would probably make her 11 or 12 when the Ants started... The story goes like this: Coming out of the late seenties punk scene, Adam and the Ants had released a record or two (which most people found to be whelmingly nondescript) when most of the Ants were lured away from Adam by former Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren, a flamboyant and not entirely credible promoter (strictly my impression). McLaren put the Ants together with fifteen year old singer Annabella (her last name is something like Lwin, I think...) and lots of drums, and Bow Wow Wow was born. The band managed to score some very mild success before sinking totally into obscurity. Meanwhile, Adam gathered up some new Ants, bought some pirate costumes, and transformed himself by lightening up both his image and his songs. After perfecting Antmusic, he later dropped the Ants and went on to earn his place in Rock History with a string of pop hits in the 80's as Adam Ant. Annabella attempted a post-BWW comeback in the eighties singing standards or something equally unlikely, as I recall. Adam has spent his time acting and sporadically making records, having charted a couple of mildly successful singles in this decade (I think his most recent was popular on VH-1 of all places!). And that is the story of Adam, Bow Wow Wow, and the Ants. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 22:19:22 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Taste of DC Set List Okay, here it is: "Taste of DC" Set List Subliminal How Can I Sing Like a Girl Snail Shell Why Does the Sun Shine Spider The Guitar XTC vs. Adam Ant Exquisite Dead Guy Particle Man She's Actual Size Your Own Worst Enemy New York City James K. Polk Twisting Till My Head Falls Off S-E-X-X-Y Spiraling Shape Meet James Ensor Sleeping In the Flowers Older AKA Driver (w/ stayin' alive bit) introduce the band (NKMP frame, but not actual song) Birdhouse Dig My Grave (encore) They Got Lost Spy Istanbul --- very cool concert! and Linnell involved audience in the Spy improv part ------------------------------ From: Greg Nicholson Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 22:30:38 EDT Subject: DC set list Here's what they played at Taste of DC today: Absolutely Bill's Mood End of the Tour Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love Where Your Eyes Don't Go Metal Detector Pet Name Chess Piece Face Lucky Ball and Chain My Evil Twin Ha ha, just kidding...okay, here's what they really played, in no particular order: They Got Lost Birdhouse Istanbul Particle Man Twisting Dig My Grave Spider She's Actual Size Why does the Sun Shine? (fast version) Older / Nyquil Driver / Stayin' Alive No One Knows My Band (band intros to the tune of No One Knows My Plan) Subliminal Snail Shell Sleeping in the Flowers Spy Meet James Ensor SEXXY Till my Head Falls Off How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Exquisite Dead Guy Your Own Worst Enemy XTC vs. Adam Ant Spiraling Shape James K Polk New York City A pretty good set, although awfully typical of what they've been playing of late. No real surprises, although the Older / Nyquil / Alive sequence was nice. Greg ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 22:34 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: erm, help, por favor Um, this isn't They related, but I need some help. I really want to get my hair to stand up in spikes fer Halloween (and maybe other times, who knows?). So I need some suggestions. I'd really appreciate any help yous guys could give me. Oh, I just thought of something They related! Since mi compadre Kristen is going to see TMBG/Hootie with me, and neither one of us has any TMBG t-shirts, we got together and made some! Mine is so groovy - it has all these happy stick people waving a banner that says "FREAK FLAG" and a rather bad caricture of the Johns on the back, and on the front it says "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher!" and has They Might Be Giants in large letters. Oh yeah, and one sleeve sez "I love John" and the other sleeve says "I love the other John." Kristen's says "TMBG: You Won't Remember Why You Liked Them" on the front, and there's a freaky yet exceedingly slick-looking guy with swirly eyes on the back, with the caption "Hypnotist of Ladies." I am well pleased. :] -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:13:15 -0400 Subject: Fwd: Quality, Not Quantity In a message dated 96-10-14 22:23:25 EDT, doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle)(and others) writes: << The only songs I don't care for would be Which Describes >> Whats wrong with Which Describes How Your Feeling? thats one of my fav songs!!!! i understand that noone is saying they hate it,but saying its one of the worst songs confuses me. its just so catchy and thought provoking. i mean,what the hell does the song mean? i also love that "deedoodeedoodee" instrument through the verses,and the guitar during the choruses. well, ill stop praising this song. everyones entitled to their own opinion. goonight!! --------------------- Forwarded message: From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Reply-to: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: 96-10-14 22:23:25 EDT >Justin Higgins wrote: > >>Apollo 18 is great, but some of the individual songs >>(especially the B-sides) just weren't that great (Narrow Your Eyes, See >> the Constellation). > >Whaaaat? Those are possibly two of the five best songs on the album (w/ >I Palindrome I, My Evil Twin, and Fingertips...) I'd say the most >"filler" tracks are If I Wasn't Shy and (don't shoot) Which Describes. >And, BTW, I *like* Hypnotist of Ladies. I feel I'm going to have to speak up here...Apollo 18 is my favorite TMBG albumn, FS notwithstanding. The only songs I don't care for would be Which Describes and Fingertips (although it's all right, just not my favorite). The last quarter from If I Wasn't Shy to the end is my favorite part of the albumn. There is very little 'filler' material in this albumn IMHO. It's hard to pick a top five....but I will say that Turn Around is my favorite Giants song...although NYC is growing on me. -Jim Jim Doolittle doolittl@uiuc.edu or gimli@avara.com If it weren't for disapointments, To err is human, I wouldn't have any appointments." to moo, bovine. -They Might Be Giants RSC Peer Consultant ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~~`http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl'~"~~'`~'`"``"~"~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:30:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: DC set list Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Oct-96 DC set list by Greg Nicholson@uva.pcmai > James K Polk Hmmm... did they play it the way it is on the album, or did Linnell play the keyboard for it? ------------------------------ Subject: Stomp Box, why? From: muad.dib@juno.com (David C Eckblad) Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:17:57 EDT Hello, Y'all I'm just trying to figure out the motive for TMBG to write Stomp Box. I don't believe I have heard any other song by TMBG that is as stright-forwardly violent as Stomp Box. P.S. as a little outside trivia, can anyone guess of the orgin of my E-mail address?? as extra bonous happy points, what was the origional name of this person? P.P.S. please tell me if the below signature is all out of whack. (it should look like a box) *---------------------------------------------------------------------- ) The world may end soon, don't procrastinate ( ) You may reach me at Muad.dib@juno.com ( *---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 22:57:51 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Doolittle Subject: Re: Fwd: Quality, Not Quantity On Mon, 14 Oct 1996 Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: > << The only songs I don't care for would be Which > Describes >> > > Whats wrong with Which Describes How Your Feeling? thats one of my fav > songs!!!! i understand that noone is saying they hate it,but saying its one > of the worst songs confuses me. its just so catchy and thought provoking. i > mean,what the hell does the song mean? i also love that "deedoodeedoodee" > instrument through the verses,and the guitar during the choruses. well, ill > stop praising this song. everyones entitled to their own opinion. goonight!! Hey now, I never said I hated it...just that I don't care for it all that much. :) It's still a decent song on a cool albumn just not one I consider one of my favorites. -Jim Jim Doolittle doolittl@uiuc.edu or gimli@avara.com If it weren't for dissapointment To err is human, I wouldn't have any appointments To moo, bovine. -They Might Be Giants RSC Peer Consultant ''''''"""''"'~'""~~~http://www.avara.com/~gimli~~'"~''""~~'' ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:04:26 -0700 From: Alex Subject: Re: erm, help, por favor Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > Um, this isn't They related, but I need some help. I really want > to get my hair to stand up in spikes fer Halloween (and maybe other times, > who knows?). So I need some suggestions. I'd really appreciate any help > yous guys could give me. wellll, I've always found that using egg whites works _really_ well for hair spikes... granted, it's a little messy, but hey- it's halloween. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: DC set list (fwd) Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 00:23:23 -0400 (EDT) > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Oct-96 DC set list by Greg > Nicholson@uva.pcmai > > James K Polk > > Hmmm... did they play it the way it is on the album, or did Linnell play > the keyboard for it? I think he did the keyboard thing but don't take my word for it. I do konw that they did the LA's and no singing saws were present. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 00:46:42 -0700 From: jenn Subject: Re: We'll miss you when you're gone - Ruminations on Philly 10/13 i saw something about the concert i was at and i couldn't resist commenting and sharing my TMBG experience also. > The Electric Factory concert on Sunday went off quite well. Better than > the 9:30 Club show in DC earlier this month, and on a par with the first > time i saw TMBG in Lancaster PA a few months back. it was much better than the elizabethtown concert. > It's unfortunate for the members of Buzz Zeemer that no one took them > aside early in their careers and offered them positions in the food sad, but true, i thought they would never end. > And when did the entire band learn to play the trombone? that was great. i loved the way Linnell was conducting that. now it's time to add my experiences to this letter. 1. i was in the front row on Linnell's side. and he smiled at me during James Ensor which was the highlight of the show. 2. i got a set list and so did my friend. we were both gloating as we left the electric factory. 3. i'm just gaining my hearing back. 4. i can't wait for the next (and fifth) concert! just sharing my observations... jenn ps. New York City, Exquisite Dead Guy, and Spiraling Shapes were great live. it was the first time i had seen them live. and i'm still bitter over the fact that they didn't put Older on the album. pps. if any of you were the person next to me in line, i hope you liked your first TMBG show. _____________________________________________________________________ The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 01:20:59 -0400 From: John Leigh Subject: Hello Radio If any of you are within 50 or so miles of Goshen, Indiana (city slogan: yeah, we've got a bunch of maple trees, uh, and a college, and, um, plenty of pickup trucks) you can maybe catch my fun-time radio show, in which I make a point of playing as much of Their music as my co-radio person will let me get away with. This generally ends up being quite a bit. I also try to play other fun stuff like King Missile, Talking Heads, and the occaisional obligatory Phish and REM song. The show airs Friday nights at either 11:00 or 12:30, depending on the whims of fate and other things like that. This Friday I'll be playing as much of FS as I can, and I'm hoping I'll be able to get my hands on the SEXXY single by then (is the Oct 15 release date actually correct?) So there it is. But wait, I have something definitely off-topic to add: David C. Eckblad wrote: >P.S. as a little outside trivia, can anyone guess of the orgin of my >E-mail address?? as extra bonous happy points, what was the origional >name of this person? [email was muad.dib@juno.com.] I suspect that your email is coming from somewhere in western Pennsylvania. It is because of the nicotine stain on your index finger, the fact that the minute you leave the house, you rebutton your knickerbockers below the knee, and of course, because you are starting to memorize jokes from "Cap'n Billy's Whizbang." Oh, and certain words are beginning to creep into your conversation. Words like 'swell,' and 'so's your old man.' (There is trouble here, trouble with a capital 'T' which rhymes with 'P,' and we all know what that stands for.) But enough with obscure references to a musical by Meredeth Wilson. Paul Atreides, to answer the 'extra bonous happy points,' as it were. Still somewhat new to the whole mailing list thing, John the Bastard "If there be any evil here, the working of it lies in John the Bastard, whose spirits toil in frame of villainy." --Shakespeare, _Much Ado About Nothing_, somewhere near the end. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-282 ******************************