Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-283 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 283 Wednesday, 16 October 1996 Today's Topics: the amazing saga of Taste of DC... lots of it!!! Re: the amazing saga of Taste of DC... lots of it!!! candy butchers (obviously non-tmbg) top 5 ideas for HAIR Taste Bow Wow Wow Info Bow Wow Wow Info Re: Bow Wow Wow Info Re: Comments on threads in the group... Re: How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH You gave me a PET NAME, which is not to say i like it. Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon Re: Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon Some random stuff schtuff. more schtuff. Factory Tour?! FS songs SEXXY single Picks and Balls and Chains AAAARRRGH! TMBG Boulder Concert cancelled SEND IN YOUR TOP 5!!!!! Re: SEXXY single Re: Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon They Might Be Punk... Re: Stomp Box, why? 5 favorite (is someone counting) Re: Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon I NEED A RIDE TO CHICAGO Re: Stomp Box, why? They Might Be Arobics The worst bands of my generation I GOTTA BUST HEADS WITH YOU GUYS HERE!!!!!!! Re: Stomp Box, why? Re: How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! Re: Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! Re: Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! Re: SEND IN YOUR TOP 5!!!!! Re: Comments on threads in the group... Top 5 and Bottom 5 songs Thoughts and stuff My fav five and FS Re: erm, help, por favor Re: SEXXY single Re: You gave me a PET NAME, which is not to say i like it. TMBG in PHILLY!!!! (sorry, I'm late!) My bottom five+fave albums Re: yakaitis! Re: Comments on threads in the group... Tech Bottom 5 songs Re: Comments on threads in the group... List Deja-Vu Hey Armstrong Re: Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! oops? Bottom Five: Because I Just Don't Care my top 5 and everything else... Re: oops? Re: They Might Be Arobics +Jacobs top 5 Comments on Philly and Top 5's I MET THEY Re: They Might Be Punk... Re: Top 5 and Bottom 5 songs Re: Comments on Philly and Top 5's Re: How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH Re: Comments on threads in the group... Re: TMBG in PHILLY!!!! (sorry, I'm late!) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 02:48:08 -0400 Subject: the amazing saga of Taste of DC... lots of it!!! Amazing, incredible... the coolest TMBG concert I've ever been to, and the FREEest! Now you all have to hear my long involved story because my parents just don't care. First of all, I was determined to get a decent seat (stand? whatever) this time because I was sick of crappy lawn seats. So my little posse and myself showed up 40 minutes early and got places about 3 feet away from the barrier. I took some photos of us with my little one-use camera that I got in the old Post Office bulding... in which (remember this) I saw an adult wearing the snowman shirt, which was too cool not to comment on, so I said "Hey! Great shirt!" He said "Hey! Thanks!". Trust me, it becomes important later. Anyway. I thought I recognized about half the people in front of us from the 9:30 club show in August, so I asked and it turned out I was right. They were some lovely people named Christy (it was strange to meet someone with my name), Sara, and some other folks whose names I forget, but I love you all, really. :) Then I met another person with my name when I complimented her and her friend on their home-made purple toupees. (I am convinved that TMBG fans are the coolest people in the world.) I had to explain to about 10 people why I was holding a broom. This was made up for by the fact that about 10 other people said "Oh cool! A broom!" We were already hyper from waiting 45 minutes, so it didn't help when some roadies came out and one started testing Linnell's accordian. Finally They showed up and I used up almost all my film in about the first two songs... sigh. Also everyone around me probably hates me for all the times I accidently hit them with the broom. But it was worth it. :) Thanks to whoever posted the set list and my sometimes accurate memory, you can now use your vivid imagination to experience the concert. Comments are from Flans unless noted. Subliminal- "We'd like to list all the sponsors we have to thank, but unfortunately *we don't have time!!*" (Huge crowd response) How Can I Sing Like a Girl- I think it was on this song that Flans plugged the new album, and got a big response from the front half of the crowd. "Sorry, you guys in the back... it's okay, it's only been out 4 days." Snail Shell- Linnell made eye contact with me at least 47 times during this song. I swear. Also, Flans made some pretty amusing faces here. Can't wait to develop my film :) Why Does the Sun Shine- "Here's an educational song." Linnell paused after two elements whose Nuclear Reactions form the Heat And Light Of The Sun, so I hoped he might improvise a little, but he copped out with "and many others." Spider- I got a great shot of Flans holding the mike upside-down on his chin during this :) The Guitar XTC vs. Adam Ant- They sadly didn't sing the verse about XTC coming around the corner with a missile launcher that they sang at 9:30, but it was still cool Exquisite Dead Guy- Wow... first time I'd seen the puppets. Particle Man- "And here's one you guys in the back probably know!" Linnell sang "excellent man" instead of "powerful man" and did some Linnell dance moves :) She's Actual Size Your Own Worst Enemy New York City- I think it was before this song that Flans introduced Brian as the President of the United States. "Jesus fucking christ, people! This is the president here! Have some respect!" James K. Polk- "And now here's another song about a president." With la's. :) Twisting- here, drunk frat boys behind me started pushing and I wound up much closer to the stage than when I started. So I'm not sure whether I'm mad or not. Till My Head Falls Off- Linnell looked like he was having so much fun with this song. :) S-E-X-X-Y- "This is dedicated to our favorite fans... (deep, corny voice) the laaadies..." Spiral(l)ing Shape Meet James Ensor Sleeping In the Flowers- "This song was not written on drugs! It's a song inspired by a song written on drugs." Older- The audience got scarily silent while they did this, although people in the front seemed to recognize it. It was pretty unnerving. I guess it was very cool for anyone recording it, however. AKA Driver- "This song is dedicated to the four hours we just spent on the road... and to the five hours we're about to spend on the road." ...into Stayin Alive- hee hee! Band intro (No One Knows My Plan in background) Birdhouse in Your Soul- The very cool purple toupee people helped my friend and I do the dance from the video(the one that makes you look like you're holding a big basket in front of you). I think Linnell noticed because he looked like he was about to crack up. Dig My Grave- "This is the last one, so ladies, choose your partners!" At some point above, Flans made this announcement: "I just got a sheet put in front of me that says, right underneath 'Washington DC', [big laugh] that the t-shirt stand is for some reason between 13th and 14th streets... we tried to make it farther away, but the sponsors wouldn't let us! [The stage was on 12th St] . The stand is next to the International Crafts booth.... yup, made in L.A.! But we have to pack up the shirts right after we leave, so you'll have to get them now. So you'll have to choose between the concert or a t-shirt. Come on, folks. The concert is right now. A t-shirt lasts a lifetime. All proceeds go directly to the They Might Be Giants integrity fund" Only one encore. Much to my surprise, the snowman shirt guy came out on stage! (to say they'd be back in a minute) They Got Lost- "This song is based on a true story!" Spy- Linnell got up an conducted *the audience* along with the band... so every few notes there'd be a huge "SPY!!!" with a few folks yelling "SPAM!" and at least one yelling "JOHN!" Istanbul- With, as usual, an amazing trumpet solo. "We'd like to thank security for protecting us from every single one of you! You know, in 3 days we're playing Roseland [? I think] in New York, and it's almost exactly this size, so if everyone buys a ticket right away, we could have the exact same audience up there! That would be pretty good for us." (referring to the lack of moshing and "pass the dude," probably... frat boys aside, the audience was very civil) After nearly every song, one of my friends or I would wave my broom and yell "PLAY I AM NOT YOUR BROOM!!" , but it was to no avail. I'm sure Linnell noticed, so I guess he was just ignoring us. Oh well, there's always next time. :) Nothing from before Flood was played, but I attribute this to the fact that half the audience just dropped in from the fair, so they probably wanted to play more current stuff that would be more widely known. Flans and Linnell seemed to be having a great time, despite their complaints about the ride. They goofed around a lot and generally seemed happy. Flans: "You know, we're used to playing in tiny, dark places that smell really bad, so it's really great to be out here with the wind blowing on us!" After they left for good, we coaxed the security guard into handing out the set list. I was not the lucky receipient, but the person who was let me touch it... what a swell guy. I also ran into Mr. Matt James, who seemed like a very decent person for the 5 or so seconds I saw him for. Hi Matt! Then I swung around the side of the back of the stage to claw at the chain link fence and hope someone cool would come over and give me an autograph. There were only about 10 other people there, so I figured my chances were small. Amazingly, Brian Doherty came over and said Hi to us. He signed my shoe (which I had to toss over the stupid fence) and said: "Hey, you were the kid with the broom! What is that for, Halloween or something?" So I explained about the video, surprised he didn't already know. He asked if the piece he wrote for the web site was up yet and I said I didn't know... has anyone noticed anything attributed to Brian there? I asked if the snowman-shirted guy was anyone important. "Yeah, that's our tour manager, Mike [something]. Why, were you rude to him?" Anyway, he eventually had to go eat, but was a very nice person and he has cool hair. :) And he left me his pen. I decided to stick around in case the Johns magically appeared, demanding to sign autographs. Hey, it could happen. The next to arrive was Graham, who also signed my shoe ("You all have much cooler shoes than I do!" he lamented after signing all my and my friends' Chucks) and went on to have an almost identical conversation about the broom. He also left me his pen. Then Eric showed up, signed my shoe, asked about the broom, and left me with a strange feeling of deja vu. (after signing several shoes: "Look, my signature is becoming more and more illegible... as if I was a really famous person or something.") I was still holding out for John and John, so we stayed. Jim, the trumpeter, showed up, and gave us all a lecture on why not to date trumpet players. ("Well, it's okay for a while...") Then he signed my shoe, asked about the broom... by this time I thought maybe I had hallucinated this broom video, since nobody in the band seemd to know of its existence. I noticed a van being loaded up with stuff and thought "Aha... " So I moved over towards it and sure enough, Dan the trombonist came over to say Hi in about 5 minutes. He drew a cool little trombone on my shoe after he signed it and, of course, asked about the broom. I explained patiently how I was trying to get Linnell to sing IANYB and complained that he was ignoring us. "Yeah, he's blind," said Dan. I asked if maybe he could convince J&J to come over and sign my broom. He then explained that they'd already left right after the show to catch a plane. I asked if he was just saying that to get us to go home, and he said "No, really... they had to go do something in New York." He didn't know exactly what, however. "They aren't really into signing autographs anyway. I mean, first of all, they're not *that* famous." He invited us to come see them tomorrow in Montreal and we said we would as long as they would take us with them. (I for one meant it!) Sadly, he had to get back to loading the van, so we decide to take off since there weren't any remaining band members to pester. Every single one of the band members we talked to was really nice and surprisingly cool about autographing a billion strange things, like shoes. I wound up with a shoe with five cool people's signatures on it, two pens, a roll of great photos, lots of big blisters, and absolutely no homework done! What a great day. If anyone got a recording of this show, you bet I am interested. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:58:20 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: the amazing saga of Taste of DC... lots of it!!! On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > After they left for good, we coaxed the security guard into handing out the > set list. I was not the lucky receipient, but the person who was let me touch > it... what a swell guy. I also ran into Mr. Matt James, who seemed like a > very decent person for the 5 or so seconds I saw him for. Hi Matt! Matt James is the "excellent man" Linnell keep singing about. Everyone who has met him will agree. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 07:59:54 -0400 From: jtt@magicnet.net (JOHN T THOMPSON) Subject: candy butchers (obviously non-tmbg) Hey all you candy butchers fans. I just read that Mike Viola, who I guess is the singer (I don't really follow them, but what I'm about to say would make me think he's the singer), is pissed. He's mad because he sang the lead vocals in "That Thing You Do", but his name doesn't appear in the credits until after animals used in the film and caterers and all that bs. I mean, the whole film revolves around the song, so I kinda see the guy's point. Anyway. Thought you might like to know. Dan (wallower@tmbg.org) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:58:35 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: top 5 ideas for HAIR On Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:04:26 -0700 Alex wrote: > From: Alex > Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:04:26 -0700 > Subject: Re: erm, help, por favor > To: Kirsten Brodbeck > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > > Um, this isn't They related, but I need some help. I really want > > to get my hair to stand up in spikes fer Halloween (and maybe other times, > > who knows?). So I need some suggestions. I'd really appreciate any help > > yous guys could give me. > > wellll, I've always found that using egg whites works _really_ well for > hair spikes... granted, it's a little messy, but hey- it's halloween. Well, theres all sorts of things you can do..... 1- carry a secret van de graff generator in your pocket.... 2-hire out small angels who are invisible to hold your hair up throughout the course of the event 3- vast quantities of wallpaper paste/soap/hairspray/all of the above 4-miniscule scaffolding 5- failing this you could spend the evening walking around on your hands(or on your head...for a change) and try and convince everyone that THEY are the wrong way round and not you. good luck!!!!! chrissy x ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Taste Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:05:16 -0400 (EDT) Hello, Flans said at the Taste "All t-shirt sales go to the integrity defense fund" Ok, enough of that. It was very nice meeting Christy for the 5 seconds that I did and seeing her broom, it was a shining red beacon among the flock of TMBG listeners. She and her friends were very nice. Also, I saw the infamous (or is that famous?) Ellen Kao at both the Philly and DC shows and even though she got lost and drove for hours I still thought she was really cool. 8-) Um, also the Flans-impersinator, Neal Block , and his friend and fellow listie (I think?) Emily "Berenstein Bear" Berstein (I hope I didn't massacre any names) was there and she was supercool as well. Also, I met mr. David Goldberg who was a totally rockin fellow who led me to a cool find in the way of Monopuff (gracias! I will get that tape out to you if it kills me). Um, I also met a friiend of my gf who knew a friend of mine from my school so that was pretty wacky but alas they are not listies so I won't continue. The show contained the exact same songs (as far as I can remember, I will have to check the Philly setlist I got) as from Philadelphia so it appears that is what they are playing these days, and not just a special setlist for this festival. I missed the lack of pre-Flood stuff, even Ana Ng and Don't Let's Start was not played. Also, the Statue got me High was not played which was strange. I guess with so many songs in their repetoire they just have to cut out a few these days. All in all both shows were excellent and I'm awaiting the 18th tmbg show at the Roseland in NYC. -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:51:04 +0000 Subject: Bow Wow Wow Info Wanna know more about Bow Wow Wow? I found a site of interest. Well, of as much interest as a site can have if it doesn't mention Them. aim your browser at: http://www.frii.com/~bonehd/index.html and fire at will. Det. Dave ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:51:04 +0000 Subject: Bow Wow Wow Info Wanna know more about Bow Wow Wow? I found a site of interest. Well, of as much interest as a site can have if it doesn't mention ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 08:08:18 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: Re: Bow Wow Wow Info On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, David K. Lapides wrote: > Wanna know more about Bow Wow Wow? I found a site of interest. Well, > of as much interest as a site can have if it doesn't mention > What the Hell? If I wanted Bow Wow Wow, I would have found it myself. Same goes for the guy with the messed up face. I'm outta here. -Josh, the jerk ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:38:38 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Comments on threads in the group... On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > harris james andrew wrote: > > > > 1. TMBG's longest songs are all remixes. ("Guitar", "World's Address", > > etc.) Of the non-remixes, "Sleeping In the Flowers" and "The Guitar" are > > the longest, as far as I can figure out, anyway > > What about "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?", which clocks in at over 4:30? But do you count the three and a half minutes that are instrumental? I don't. Adding a guitar solo does nothing really to add to the song. I prefer songs with a lot of lyrics (Hey Mister DeeJay, I Thought We Said We Had A Deal) to the guitar-laden crap on FS. > > John Henry. Miserable and misguided. Very few high points. Bad TMBG is > > still better than most of the crap out there, and I'd rather listen to it > > than Alanis Morrisette or that crappy band TMBG is touring with, but still... > > (Point of note...Tony Maimone, former TMBG bassist, played bass for one > > of my other musical gods, Bob Mould...it's a small world after all) Tony also worked on Frank Black's first album. > It's a pretty weak album (IMHO) but it's more of a general malaise and > dullness than an actual badness. And there's more than just a few high > points: NOKMP, End of the Tour, Destination Moon, Sleeping in the > Flowers, and Meet James Ensor are all pretty good. But at least they had some good songs there. I find FS nearly unlistenable. Oh, it's this one....hit the FFwrd button, please. > > Misc. T. Only for diehard fans. Really good in parts, but taken as a > > whole, it's really hard to swallow. > > I'd disagree. It's the strangest "album" (even moreso than Pink) but > it's got a number of good songs. So, I agree with your ranking of it as > low, but not with your opinion that it's a "poor" album. It's their best album, IMHO, because it is more of a showcase of the stuff they do that isn't warmed-over. TMBG raw, if you will. I think the Bar/None collection will add to this. For those of you who are uninformed, Flansburgh is a much more prolific writer than Linnell, but Linnell's songs take to albums better. > > Apollo 18. Really energetic, and with a lot of genre skipping and > > TMBGish qualities, but somehow not as much fun to listen to as other albums. > > I, personally, find more fun here than anywhere else, Lincoln included. Okay, but there are some lousy songs here too, (She's Actual Size). > > Factory Showroom. "Pet Name" sucks, but the rest of it is pretty solid > > and representative of what TMBG are. > > I *like* Pet Name. The difference threw a lot of people off, but when > you get down to it, it has good lyrics and a nice melody. Still weaker > than most of the album, but worthy of at least some respect. And I agree > with your assessment of the album and it's "sound." I don't like Pet Name. I suppose that I'm different. The only Flansburgh-written song on FS that I really like is "I Can Hear You". NYC I like, but it is a cover. Adding to my weirdness, I like "You'll Miss Me." > > Flood. Gets the kids hooked. Some of it is real crappy, > > though..."Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love"? This song isn't turning up on > > any favorite songs list...Not quite as accessible as other albums, in my > > opinion, which is strange since this one sold the most copies... > > This is so perfect. > > > Self-titled (why can't people just call it the self-titled album or the > > first album as opposed to the Pink album or the big blue dog album? > > Never understood that...) > > You obviously weren't here back then. :) Some people will never understand. I'm looking through the digests to put together a whole summary of the debates, including the infamous "Reasons to be Blue" list. > > Half of this album is sheer genius. The other half is barely listenable, > > annoying, and grating. The many good songs and charm of the album make up > > for the really rough sound). > > That's it exactly...the good songs (which are far better than much of > Flood and JH) are amazing, but the crap gets in the way. Too much > outright "quirkiness" and not enough effort put into making the quirky > songs sound good. But a lot of effort was put into making the little stuff sound good. Believe me, the stuff on the Big Blue Dog album is wonderful when compared to the cheesy 1984 demo tape. > > Lincoln. Total genius. Not a bad song or a misstep on it. Fun, > > accessible, catchy...I'm amazed THIS isn't the most popular album. Even > > the occasionally grating, bizarre sounds add to it, much more than the > > first. (What the hell is that buzzing on "Cowtown" anyway?) > > But it *is* the most popular album... Uh, no it's not. Flood is, with over 800,000 copies sold, outpacing #2 Lincoln by about 200,000 at last count. Apollo is very close to Lincoln in sales. By far, the lowest circulation album was The Big Blue Dog album, with an original issue of 100,000 by Bar/None, two re-issues at the same clip, a 50,000 issue by Elektra, and a couple more 50,000 (bi-yearly, I think) re-issues by Bar/None. Both John Henry and Factory Showroom had original 500,000 copy issues. John Henry is due to be reissued in '97, sometime, probably 50,000-100,000 copies. Bar/None is unsure of the circulation of Misc T., as they didn't control distribution for it, Elektra did. I'd estimate that Misc T has probably sold less than 150,000 copies, tho. Least circulation prodcution CD: 1985 Demo Tape, issue of 3000 through Hello CD of the Month Club. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:56:38 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Queen Sneepy wrote: > So I spent most of my weekend listening to Factory Showroom, like I'm > sure most of you did. HOwever, once in my car on the way home, I cranked > that sucker up and sang at the top of my lungs. One thing that I've > noticed about our friend Mr. Linnell is that he can be extremely hard to > sing along with. My problem is mainly, that his key is at such a level > that I'm either so deep that I feel like I'm choking, or so high that my > voice breaks. On to my discovery, which is that J.L. sings in his > talking voice. Which, I might add, I've often had to resort to, however, > I didn't like it much. It is extremely hard on the vocal cords (at least > I think so) and my voice kept breaking. Until I forced my voice partly > through my noise, which, to my surprise, produced a voice very much like > a female version of Linnell. Now I have no problem singing to his songs, > which in general are my favourites. So that's a little tidbit for those > who have had problems singing with our friend Linnell. I have absolutely no problem singing along with Linnell. Now, I do work in radio, and have a pretty versatile voice. I can do singing impressions, and Linnell is very, very easy if you don't try to force the nasality. Also, Linnell tends to use a lot of harmony with himself, and you can't sing between them. Flansburgh is probably tougher to imitate because his vocal technique varies greatly (Ailenation's for the Rich vs I'll Sink Manhattan). The problem I have doing Linnell is that my voice has more vibratto (not much I can do about that....I wuz burn thataway), so my long notes are different. (f.e. the Democrats were Spliiiiiiiiittt). S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:15:09 -0500 (CDT) From: "Patrick N. Foster" Subject: You gave me a PET NAME, which is not to say i like it. from people including harris james andrew, Joshua Hall-Bachner, BlueDawg: > > > Factory Showroom. "Pet Name" sucks, but the rest of it is pretty solid ... > > I *like* Pet Name. The difference threw a lot of people off, but when > > you get down to it, it has good lyrics and a nice melody. Still weaker > > than most of the album, but worthy of at least some respect. And I agree ... > I don't like Pet Name. I suppose that I'm different. The only i've been a fan since 87/88 (when i picked up the Don't Let's Start 3"), and my favorite LPs are Lincoln, TMBG, and Flood. having said that: i really like "Pet Name." imo it's Flansburgh's best since "Piece of Dirt," although "I Can Hear You," "She's Actual Size" and others are great. "Pet Name" doesn't seem like a TMBG song at first, but neither did "You'll Miss Me." Anyway, of the post-Lincoln stuff, i tend to like Linnell's stuff more, but imo "Pet Name" is superior to many Linnell songs on FACTORY SHOWROOM. goes to show you everybody's different, i guess. /pf ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:00:36 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon Hi all. I've been mulling over which are my top 5 fave songs, and I think I've nailed it down: 5. Nightgown of theullen Moon 4. No One Knows MPlan 3. Ana Ng 2. Purple Toupee 1. Birdhouse in Yr Soul Honorable Mentionand probably future top fivers, maybe) AKA Driver(It'rocktastic) Spiraling Shape (brilliant in its slow build to the climax) Hey, Mr. DJ Your Own Worst Enemy (I can not get this one out of my head) Destination Moon (it's so happy!) Just one more thing that I'd like to get flamed over ( :-) ): I don't know why, but I feel like there's something a bit off with some of the songs on FS that just bug me. It isn't the lyrics, but the composition of the songs musically. For example, does anyone think that Exquiite DEad Guy ends rather anticlimatically, or rather, on a sort of blah ending? ANd Metal Detector. I like it, but I feel like I'm listening to three different tunes that Linnell thought might be good for the song but couldn't decide how to time them together in a flowing thread. Am I missing something? My opinion (and luvin' it...) Cory PS I DO like FS! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:32:53 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: Re: Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon One thing: some of my last post was mangled by this lousy mail server I have that keeps chewing up some of my words. When I was talking about Metal Detector, I meant to say "tie together", not "time together." BTW, here's how I'd rank the songs on FS, in my own opinionated way. (I'd like to say right off that of the lowest ranked ones, I don't *hate*them, but I'm just listing them relative to the rest.) 14. I CanHear You Yes, I know, it's a novelty song, and it's supposed to be fuzzy, but I can't say it has the prospect of being a repeatedly played song on my CD player. 13.XTC vs. Adam Ant Not a bad song. Not a terribly great one, either. It isn't that terribly creative, especially as a tribute song of sorts. 12.The Bells Are Ringing It's still growing on me, but somehow I feel like it's nothing other than another good (but not mind blowingly fantastic) song in their huge repertoire. 11.James K. Polk This would be higher on the list if it were more like the IStanbul version. Maybe it's just me. But the acoustic guitar and new drum arrange help. BUt, the saw....belongs on the workbench, kiddies. 10.Pet Name Lower down on this list only because a) it's not as TMBGish as the others they done, and b)it hasn't quite grown on me yet. I've an inkling it might, though. Stay tuned. 9.S E X X Y Yes, it's orchestrated well. Yes, TMBG does the different sound thing well, too. But it almost sounds like a cover to me, as opposed to a new creaton. (Still, the funk in this lil' ditty can't be denied.) Sort of choppy, but it's got a beat and you can groove on it. 8. Metal Detector I'm sure I'll get a lot of flak for this, but I don't care. It just sounds like a few bits of a longer song that are repeated over and over, which a real connectedness to them. Most of the song to me sounds like it's building up to a climax it never quite reaches. But the synth stuff is WAY cool. 7. Till My Head Falls Off Ah, more flack cometh my way. The lyrics are great; wish there were more like'em in the song. The guitar's great too; wish there was less of it, though. Still, catchy as hell. 6. Token Back to Brooklyn What, you say, is this doing all the way in the top half? Here's why: Classily quirky lyrics, obscure yet intriguing harmonization by the Johns, and it doesn't let itself get long and overblown. What's not to like? 5. Exquisite Dead Guy I'd've made this my #2 or #3 pick, if it weren't for the total deflation of the song after the big, beautiful buildup to the second go-around of "How'm I 'sposed to let you know the way I feel about you?" I was left feeling naked and alone. (J/K) This song, though, does have that old TMBG spark that was missing a lot from JH. (Which I still like a lot, by the way.) 4.New York City Never has there been a more straightforward pop/rock song done the Johns, and possibly 'cuz they didn't write this. But, wow, do they do a damn good job. I'll never get this one out of my head. 3.Your Own Worst Enemy You know a song of Theirs is good when you wish it was *longer*. The lyrics are precious (and few!), and the instrumentation is simple and brilliat. I'd like to sing this one with friends. 2. How Can I Sing Like A Girl Many people are split over this one. Here's why it gets my #2 vote: The music laid down is solid, dreamy, and sweeps you along. Flansburgh's voice is woeful enough to evoke pity, while at the same time laid back enough for you to feel relaxed in the song. And the guitar work is deliciouslyeclectic and soothing. At least, that's what I think. And a good message song too. And the hot tamale... 1. Spiraling Shape I know that several folks aren't thrilled about this song, especially since it was on the Brain Candy soundtrack. Or it sounds like other songs. So what? As I've said before, it's brilliant in how it slowly builds to a climax, but does so in a smartly complex (yet not overdone) way. Another big winning point: the flawless blend of musical styles (lazy sarcasm swing and joyous piano-backed bop-rock. Golly, I love inventing phrases!) And both John's sing on it! 'Nuf said. Well, I think I said enough. Cory ------------------------------ From: DarkKnigtX@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:46:38 -0400 Subject: Some random stuff Well, I have an odd opinion on certain things, I guess... Mr. DJ, to my belief, is not a very good song... My album favs go in this order: 1: (my fav) A big toss up between Big Blue Dog and Lincoln. 2: Another big toss up, this time between John Henry and Factory Showroom. 3: Flood. I think I've just heard it to death. 4: Misc. T, just because it's not the best TMBG work. 5: (sorry, I don't like it much anymore) is Apollo 18. This one I've heard about 23,000,000 more times than Flood, and I'm sick of Flood as it is. And, though it truly isn't in the style of tmbg, I LIKE pet name. It has some cool chord variations and lyrics. When I weed through my fav. songs, I'll send those too... Everyone's got an opinion, no? DarkKnight ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:34:50 -0400 Subject: schtuff. > Until I forced my voice partly through my noise, which, to my > surprise, produced a voice very much like a female version of > Linnell. Hehe, I figured that out a while back. :) Scary part is, I actually can nasally harmonize with him.. > Misc. T. Only for diehard fans. No, not IMO. It was the first TMBG cd I bought (after hearing Flood stuff, DLS, and Snail Shell on the radio many times), and it got me hooked. >"Pet Name" sucks Speak for yourself. It's one of my candidates for "Favourite Factory Showroom Song." ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "nO. NO! thEy MiGHT bE gIAntS ArE noT saTAnISts.." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:34:52 -0400 Subject: more schtuff. >Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love"? This song isn't turning up on > any favorite songs list... I didn't put it on mine? Well, then. I'll add it now. :) Actually I had too many fave songs on mine as it was, but that would have made it had everything been included. >Yeah Fruvous is great. I have most of their albums. Do you >notice any similarity to They? Yesh. I had my Bargainville tape on in the car today. "BJ Don't Cry" was on, and I was thinking "wow, accordians kick ASS!" :) Funny, the only Moxy cd's I have are the ones only available in Canada. :) I hope I can find my mom in a good mood to get her to let me go to their concert on November1st! And ooh yeah, Kirsten! I'm gonna spike my hair too. It's pretty easy for me to just do it with the hair dryer alone (I have incredibly thick hair, ick!) so we'll see. ~sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "I wanna hear the big fat guy--who looks like....Danny Akroyd, only fatter." - DAS caller? ------------------------------ From: tom@Mail.Coast.NET (Thomas Earl!) Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:41:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Factory Tour?! Greetings to you all... What is happening with the factory tour? I have been reading the www.tmbg.com news page but there is no new info and the 8th of November is right around the block. if anybody knows anything new, please TELL ME!!! I got to know... Thanks, Tom -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Earl "Reality is a cop-out for people who Network Engineer can't handle drugs" Coast to Coast Telecommuncations Clarkson, Michigan +1.800.900.9960 http://www.coast.net Tom@coast.net http://www.games.coast.net *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: FS songs Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:44:10 -0400 (EDT) After reading Cory Calhoun's post about FS, I must comment on James K Polk and Metal Detector: I must agree that the Istanbul single version is way better than this. Although I think for different reasons. I think the acoustic guitar and new drum arrangement really really *really* hurt this song big time. It really is a step down from the original. But I do find the saws pretty interesting. The saws are not as good as the LA's because I see this song as an epic tale of a great president. Normally, you wouldn't think of James K Polk as a "great" president like Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, the more well known ones. But th way he is portrayed in this song makes him seem like the greatest American president of all time. The LA's from the Istanbul single really help to push this point home. they even do the LA's in concert (although I assume that's a hell of a lot easier and better sounding live). I just don't get the same feeling I got than from the Istanbul one. As for Metal Detector: I think the song finds it's climaxe, it just finds it in the middle after the every sea shell llines...It seems to linger a bit. I still love the song but I can see how it goes downhill a little after that. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: SEXXY single Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:46:10 -0400 (EDT) I asked Tower and they said SEXXY will be out Oct 29!! How could it possibly be sooo late? I hope other stores get it in earlier and Tower just screwed up... Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:15:21 -0400 Subject: Picks and Balls and Chains Hello 41- Two things I wanted to quickly add to feel like myself. I don't know. <> This would be TMBG on background vocals on Walk on Water. I don't like the song too much. The only connection I know between TMBG and Otis Ball is he went on tour with them once. Pick- I just got one, but it is your standard Fender Heavy. A special one would be neater. Party on! Adam ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 15 Oct 96 13:17:08 MDT Subject: AAAARRRGH! TMBG Boulder Concert cancelled I want my TMBG! The Boulder Theatre concert for Nov 9 was cancelled! They said maybe next spring it will be rescheduled. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Jan 1980 12:39:13 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: SEND IN YOUR TOP 5!!!!! Hi! My son told me that there was a list of favorite (and least favorite) TMBG songs on the web. I found it and was suprised at what they were! So, I counted up what has been posted and I have the list of favorites of everyone that has posted so far. I thought I would give everyone that has not sent in their top 5 another day and then I will post THIS lists results. OK? SO far, everyones choices are VERY interesting and the favorites are much different (except one song) than on the web list!!!!!!!! SO EVERYONE THAT HAS NOT DONE IT-----START THINKING!!!!!!! P.S Can someone tell me the the way to Mr. Flippy's page with Older and all the sound bites? I just found it and my son erased all my stuff :-( accidently. Thanks Kathleen ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: Re: SEXXY single Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:40:37 GMT On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:46:10 -0400 (EDT), you wrote: >I asked Tower and they said SEXXY will be out Oct 29!! >How could it possibly be sooo late? I hope other stores get it in >earlier and Tower just screwed up... >Matt >-- >------------------------------------------------------------------- >Matt James >polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu >Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America >"Cracking toast, Gromit!" >New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > I went to Camelot Music Super Store today and they had an Oct. 29th release date as well. It bites pretty hard, but once again Elektra fucks up. joey ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: Re: Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:47:40 GMT On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:32:53 -0700 (PDT), you wrote: > >14. I CanHear You > Yes, I know, it's a novelty song, and it's supposed to be fuzzy, but I >can't say it has the prospect of being a repeatedly played song on my CD >player. > >13.XTC vs. Adam Ant > Not a bad song. Not a terribly great one, either. It isn't that terribly >creative, especially as a tribute song of sorts. > >12.The Bells Are Ringing > It's still growing on me, but somehow I feel like it's nothing other >than another good (but not mind blowingly fantastic) song in their huge >repertoire. > >11.James K. Polk > This would be higher on the list if it were more like the IStanbul >version. Maybe it's just me. But the acoustic guitar and new drum arrange >help. BUt, the saw....belongs on the workbench, kiddies. > >10.Pet Name > Lower down on this list only because a) it's not as TMBGish as the >others they done, and b)it hasn't quite grown on me yet. I've an inkling >it might, though. Stay tuned. > >9.S E X X Y > Yes, it's orchestrated well. Yes, TMBG does the different sound thing >well, too. But it almost sounds like a cover to me, as opposed to a new >creaton. (Still, the funk in this lil' ditty can't be denied.) Sort of >choppy, but it's got a beat and you can groove on it. > >8. Metal Detector > I'm sure I'll get a lot of flak for this, but I don't care. It just >sounds like a few bits of a longer song that are repeated over and >over, which a real connectedness to them. Most of the song to me >sounds like it's building up to a climax it never quite reaches. But >the synth stuff is WAY cool. > >7. Till My Head Falls Off > Ah, more flack cometh my way. The lyrics are great; wish there were more >like'em in the song. The guitar's great too; wish there was less of it, >though. Still, catchy as hell. > >6. Token Back to Brooklyn > What, you say, is this doing all the way in the top half? Here's why: >Classily quirky lyrics, obscure yet intriguing harmonization by the >Johns, and it doesn't let itself get long and overblown. What's not to >like? > >5. Exquisite Dead Guy > I'd've made this my #2 or #3 pick, if it weren't for the total deflation >of the song after the big, beautiful buildup to the second go-around of >"How'm I 'sposed to let you know the way I feel about you?" I was left >feeling naked and alone. (J/K) This song, though, does have that old TMBG >spark that was missing a lot from JH. (Which I still like a lot, by the way.) > >4.New York City > Never has there been a more straightforward pop/rock song done the >Johns, and possibly 'cuz they didn't write this. But, wow, do they do a >damn good job. I'll never get this one out of my head. > >3.Your Own Worst Enemy > You know a song of Theirs is good when you wish it was *longer*. The >lyrics are precious (and few!), and the instrumentation is simple and >brilliat. I'd like to sing this one with friends. > >2. How Can I Sing Like A Girl > Many people are split over this one. Here's why it gets my #2 vote: The >music laid down is solid, dreamy, and sweeps you along. Flansburgh's >voice is woeful enough to evoke pity, while at the same time laid back >enough for you to feel relaxed in the song. And the guitar work is >deliciouslyeclectic and soothing. At least, that's what I think. And a >good message song too. > >And the hot tamale... >1. Spiraling Shape > I know that several folks aren't thrilled about this song, especially >since it was on the Brain Candy soundtrack. Or it sounds like other >songs. So what? As I've said before, it's brilliant in how it slowly >builds to a climax, but does so in a smartly complex (yet not overdone) >way. Another big winning point: the flawless blend of musical styles >(lazy sarcasm swing and joyous piano-backed bop-rock. Golly, I love >inventing phrases!) And both John's sing on it! 'Nuf said. > >Well, I think I said enough. >Cory > > Yeah, I think you said enough too. Sounds to me like your criticizing this album way too much. Why don't you just stop trying to find something wrong with almost every damn song on the album and just come out and say that your dissappointed in the album. Either that or word what you say in a way that doesn't sound like you disslike it. Joey ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:13:24 -0500 (CDT) From: harris james andrew Subject: They Might Be Punk... To whoever said stompbox was overly "violent"...(I couldn't excerpt it since I'm a digest subscriber only and that would take too much time...) "Stomp Box" sounds just like "Dig My Grave" to me. Another one of their takes on punk rock, really. They have covered so many genres (Country, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Funk, even techno-rave (see the "Guitar" remixes if you don't believe me...I had the rave DJ at my radio station play it once and he loved it, even played it again another week)) that it only seems appropriate that They Might Be Punk now and again... Jim Harris "Why do you suspiciously change the subject and break my concentration?" - TMBG, "Till My Head Falls Off" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:23:48 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: Stomp Box, why? David C Eckblad wrote: > > Hello, Y'all I'm just trying to figure out the motive for TMBG to > write Stomp Box. I don't believe I have heard any other song by TMBG > that is as stright-forwardly violent as Stomp Box. Well, I've always believed that it was what they thought some grunge or rock guitarist had going through their mind while playing. If you play guitar then you know that a stompbox is another name for a distortion pedal. Think "metal guitarist" a la MTV music video. But that's just what I think. -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:28:28 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: 5 favorite (is someone counting) And it's in order of favorites 1. They'll Need A Crane 2. She's An Angel 3. Self Called Nowhere 4. Ana Ng 5. Women & Men -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:26:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: Another Passenger on the Top 5 Bandwagon On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Joey wrote: > > Yeah, I think you said enough too. Sounds to me like your criticizing > this album way too much. Why don't you just stop trying to find > something wrong with almost every damn song on the album and just come > out and say that your dissappointed in the album. Either that or word > what you say in a way that doesn't sound like you disslike it. > Well Joey, If you can't accept someone else's opinion, you're not going to get very far in life. This is a TMBG discussion group, not a TMBG worshiping group (although many of us worship ;->) and if someone dislikes an album they have a right to say so. Tell me, what is the limit on criticizing that you are imposing on this group? Funny, I didn't think that Cory disliked the album. There were many good comments too. Maybe it wasn't worded simply enough for you to understand. -Wubba P.S. You don't have to repost the whole message just ot flame it. That's why there's a "Re:" in the subject line. *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:45:38 -0500 (CDT) From: james puellmann Subject: I NEED A RIDE TO CHICAGO I know thi sisn't exactlt proper nettiquitte(sp?) but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a ride to Chicago this weekend (the18th). If anyone out there is planning on driving through Missouri to get there and wouldn't mind a TMBG head that probably wont talk the whole way giving them some gas money, give me a ring. PLEASE! James Puellmann James @ MU ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Stomp Box, why? From: muad.dib@juno.com (David C Eckblad) Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:36:39 EDT On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 12:22:59 -0400 (EDT) Lambrakos writes: >At 11:17 PM 10/14/96 EDT, you wrote: >> Hello, Y'all I'm just trying to figure out the motive for >TMBG to >>write Stomp Box. I don't believe I have heard any other song by TMBG >>that is as stright-forwardly violent as Stomp Box. >> >>P.S. as a little outside trivia, can anyone guess of the orgin of my >>E-mail address?? as extra bonous happy points, what was the origional >>name of this person? >> >>P.P.S. please tell me if the below signature is all out of whack. >>(it should look like a box) >> >> >>---------------------------------------------------------------------- >>) The world may end soon, don't procrastinate ( >>) You may reach me at Muad.dib@juno.com ( >>---------------------------------------------------------------------- >> >> >Muad'dib (the mouse), a charachter in the novel 'Dune' (as well as >'Dune >Messaiah' and refferred to in the following four books) by Frank >Herbert. >His proper name was Paul Atreides, his one other name was Usul, the >strength >of the base of the pillar. Nice to find another Dune person. Do you >know of >any web pages or groups that are baseed around it, I would love to >know. > >Unfortunately, your signature is out of whack. > >Double points for you, Name Paul's two children and his wife. Be >careful. > > Will. > > >lambrag@voicenet.com Thanx for all the input on the above questions. Expessially from lambrag@voicenet.com well now... will. I beleive that the name of Pauls wife is Chani his two >Twin< children, Alia and Ghanima. How's that???? Don't view me as a dune freak, I didn't have any of this commited to memory. I Just did a little researching. Now, back to TMBG, how come I havn't seen anything about the new record that came out today??? And also, what about TMBG touring with Hootie (who blows) as the opening band??? ~Don't procrastinate, the world may end tomorrow.~ ~Reach me an Muad.dib@juno.com if you so desire.~ ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:15:48 -0400 (EDT) Subject: They Might Be Arobics Hey all, I am just going to write a little about the Philly Concert this past Sunday. First of all, IT KICKED ASS!!! It was not only the first They concert I have ever been to, but it was really the first rock concert I have ever been to (yeah, its sad isn't it). From the top: Showed up to the concert maybe ten minutes before the show started, after planning to be about 45 minutes early. The opening band came on, and they sucked. I really didn't like them at all. The back up singer kept spitting into the audience, and I didn't like their type of music. A long pause between the opening band and when They got on stage. The people I went with started to get roudy, but we all enjoyed the anticipation. Then They came out, started off on their perfect renditions of just about all my favoite songs. It was my first introduction to many of the new FS songs, and of what I heard, it was awesome. A few observations: Linnell looked dead. Are his eyes always like that, is that how the whole alian thing got started? During the final encore, they played spy, which kicked ass, but they played an elongated jamm at the end which seemed to loose the crowd, or at least those in the back (I removed myself from the pack when I couldn't breath anymore). You could tell that they were having fun, but the crowd seemedlost. Also at the end of the last encore, they did what I guess was a sign to show everyone that they were leaving for good. They put their arms over their heads and did these slow, full-body waves. Seemed to me that they were doing They Might Be Arobics up on the stage. To Cortney, and all others at the show, sorry I was unable to find you, I looked, but couldn't find anything as a sign...sorry. Anyway, I am so happy I went, it was so worth the $77 I spent on the bus ride home. Now, should I attend Their show in Toronto with Hootie...? SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 96 18:21 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: The worst bands of my generation Heh heh. My friend Kyle just moved into a new house, and in his garage there is a wall that has been well grafitti-ized. I had to chuckle, because in between profane limericks and comments on the size of certain people's anatomy, there were names of bands. Such as Anthrax, Def Leppard, etc., etc. And I couldn't help singing a certain line from a song. :D Kirsten (who has now seen the worst bands of her generation applied by magic marker to drywall) -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:21:20 -0500 From: "//R@sCaL\\\\" Subject: I GOTTA BUST HEADS WITH YOU GUYS HERE!!!!!!! //R@sCaL\\ says: Man me and a lot of people disagree about which TMBG songs suck cause personally I think that John Henry is not as bad as y'all are making it. Sure there was way too much distortion and too alternative but the album went so well together. Plus such cool songs as "End of the Tour", "Spy","Meet James Ensor" & "I should be allowed to think" TOP 5 TMBG Songs according to ME -------------------------------- 1) "She's an Angel">Self expalnitory 1&1/2) "Fingertips">am I the only one who likes this song? 2) "Whistling in the Dark">TMBG lyrics 4 U! 3) "End of the Tour">"'I was bent metal you were a flaming wreck.' 4) "Its not my Birthday">Just fun & cool 4&1/2) "Spiraling Shape"> a treasure off of FS 5) "Ana Ng">I just luv it TMBG ALBUMS IN ORDER OF COOLNESS!!! 1)MISC T> Flood introduced me & this one got me hooked! 2)Flood> Its the shallow end of the pool before you go to the Deep End 3)The Pink> 3 words "She's An Angel" 4)FS> Great new work! 5)Apollo 18> I liked it took me a while to get used to it 6)John Henry>Too MUCH DIST 7)LINCOLN> Great album don't get me wrong I just like the others better Oh well that's just my opinion! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:34:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: Stomp Box, why? On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Colin Ferm wrote: > David C Eckblad wrote: > > > > Hello, Y'all I'm just trying to figure out the motive for TMBG to > > write Stomp Box. I don't believe I have heard any other song by TMBG > > that is as stright-forwardly violent as Stomp Box. > Well, > I've always believed that it was what they thought some grunge or rock > guitarist had going through their mind while playing. If you play guitar > then you know that a stompbox is another name for a distortion pedal. > Think "metal guitarist" a la MTV music video. > > But that's just what I think. > -- > > Colin (Spud) Ferm Stompbox is a hardcore metal band. Lots of grunting 'n stuff. The guys in it look like TMBGish guys, but they don't write or sound like TMBG. Perhaps they have some kind of connection with the band members. Go listen to the CD at a used music store. It's kinda interesting. Brandon (Submitting this information, although not completely solving the puzzle of Stompbox) ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:54:25 -0400 Subject: Re: How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH i find it very easy to imitate linnel and flansburghs singing voice. i didnt think it was a talent or anything,or if i did it well,but,maybe... i guess im pretty good at imitations though,i can imitate practically anyone in the simpsons. hmmm. i think linnel is all in the accent,for example--- oppisite= Uppisite and a few others. i dont know,thats one of the reasons i like tmbg,their singing voices are very unique. jordan "oh my god they can read my thoughts,they can ALL read my thoughts!!!" -david foley, kids in the hall ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:09:06 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! Everybody's doing it! Now do the opposite! Rank your least fav TMBG Songs!! MINE: (From bad to worse) Sapphire Bullets You'll Miss Me ... (gotta think of more...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:20:17 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! Bottom 5 Spider Youth Culture Killed My Dog Purple Toupe Worlds Address Toddler Hiway -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:27:19 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Everybody's doing it! Now do the opposite! Rank your least fav TMBG Songs!! > MINE: > (From bad to worse) S-E-X-X-Y An Unrelated Thing Hyptonist of Ladies Particle Man Chess Piece Face Cage & Aquarium S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Subject: Re: SEND IN YOUR TOP 5!!!!! From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:22:07 EDT On Thu, 24 Jan 1980 12:39:13 -0800 Kathleen Jo Faulconer writes: >P.S Can someone tell me the the way to Mr. Flippy's page with Older >and >all the sound bites? I just found it and my son erased all my stuff >:-( http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy It doubles as the way to happiness and pure chewing satisfaction! Oh and check out my crap page too... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:41:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Comments on threads in the group... At 11:38 AM 10/15/96 -0400, you wrote: >On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >> What about "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?", which clocks in at over 4:30? > >But do you count the three and a half minutes that are instrumental? I >don't. Adding a guitar solo does nothing really to add to the song. I >prefer songs with a lot of lyrics (Hey Mister DeeJay, I Thought We Said We >Had A Deal) to the guitar-laden crap on FS. How much of the song is enjoyable doesn't matter, though. (If so, I'd rank YCKmD as 0:00...) The song itself is 4:30. >> >> I, personally, find more fun here than anywhere else, Lincoln included. > >Okay, but there are some lousy songs here too, (She's Actual Size). She's Actual Size isn't exactly lousy. I'd call it boring, but it's not really bad, either. Personally, there's really no song on A18 which I don't enjoy to some degree. >I don't like Pet Name. I suppose that I'm different. The only >Flansburgh-written song on FS that I really like is "I Can Hear You". NYC >I like, but it is a cover. Adding to my weirdness, I like "You'll Miss >Me." The Lincoln version of You'll Miss Me isn't much, IMHO, but the demo version is just amazing. They should have stuck with this version, it's sooooo much better. (and listening to it was the first time I could actually understand the lyrics well enough to realize what a mean, dark song it is, too...) >Some people will never understand. I'm looking through the digests to put >together a whole summary of the debates, including the infamous "Reasons >to be Blue" list. Heh. I remember when you had "Reasons to be blue" in your sig. But be fair, though -- don't leave out the "reasons to be pink" list either. >But a lot of effort was put into making the little stuff sound good. >Believe me, the stuff on the Big Blue Dog album is wonderful when compared >to the cheesy 1984 demo tape. I still think a lot of it is bad. Chess Piece Face, Boat Of Car, Youth Culture, Toddler Hiway -- They Might Be fun the first time you hear them, but after a while they tend to get annoying. IMHO. >> >> But it *is* the most popular album... > >Uh, no it's not. Flood is, with over 800,000 copies sold, outpacing #2 >Lincoln by about 200,000 at last count. Oh, well, it's not the most popular in album sales, but you'd be hard-pressed to find ten people in the newsgroup *and* mailing list that would say anything really bad about it. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:50:37 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Top 5 and Bottom 5 songs Top 5: 1) Birdhouse 2) No one knows my Plan 3) Till my Head Falls Off 4) they'll need a crane 5) I should be allowed to think (okay, yes that's hard, and I've got more favorites I didn't even consider, so that top 5 is quite dynamic) Bottom 5: (in no specific order) 1) You'll Miss Me 2) Hearing Aid 3) Hotel Detective (not off the BtS Single) 4) Extra Savoir-Faire 5) Unrelated Thing (slightly easier :) ------------------------------ From: Aaron Stephen Kohlbeck Subject: Thoughts and stuff Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:05:39 CDT Hola peoples! First the hair spiking thing: Way back when it was cool to have spiked hair (mid 80's or something) and my hair would get too long to do anything, I would load it up with mousse (sp?) and walk aroung with my head hanging down until it dried. I think that this would also work with gel. Next, my top five songs (no order): -The Guitar -Worlds's Address (Joshua Fried Mix) -Ana Ng -Whirlpool (Yes, I know that it is not strictly a TMBG song, being a remake and stuff, but I still love it) and - Metal Detector What I thought of FS: can be found at http://www.badgerherald.com/entertainment/fall96/101096entertainment1.html I reviewed it for the campus newspaper. Got to keep the CD. I also have a few comments on FS (and this will only make sense to those of you in the Midwest, mostly Wisconsin and Illinois): I listen to FS. Hear all the songs. "Spiraling Shape" comes on and I hear the chorus with the "Everyone wants to see that groovy thing" and my first thought was Pat McCurdy! (For those of you who don't know who Pat McCurdy is and have read this far, he's a local ccelebrity known for his act, which is just him and his bassist.) The reason I thought this was Pat has this song called "Groovy Thing" that has this line "gimme that groovy thing" and the two sound exactly alike. Also, for some reason, JKP (which I have never heard before) also reminds of Pat. I think that it is the solo guitar at the beginning and the fact that Pat sings about famous dead people. That's it for now. Aaron (who just realized he gained five pounds since buying his moped) -- Aaron Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant everlast@cs.wisc.edu Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy "You have NO respect for food!" - Heffer Wolf ------------------------------ From: COMET757@aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:33:34 -0400 Subject: My fav five and FS I'm kinda new to this mailing list, but I think I've finally figured it out. I know it's a little late since this was asked, but these are my top five favorite songs : 5. It's Not My Birthday 4. Till My Head Falls Off 3. The Statue Got Me High 2. I Palendrome I 1. Birdhouse in Your Soul I would probably have Ana Ng on here, but I unfortunately (and stupidly) don't have Lincoln. I have 36 secs of Ana Ng on a wav and I REALLY want to get Lincoln now. These are my short opinions on the songs on Factory Showroom : 1. S-E-X-X-Y : S-U-C-K-S. Well, no, it's not that bad, but it sounds NOTHING like They and really shouldn't be one of their songs. 2. Till My Head Falls Off : This is a really good song and should've been the single instead of S-E-X-X-Y. 3. How Can I Sing Like A Girl : This song is kinda different, but, then again, I guess every They song is very different from the next. It's fun to listen to, but it gets a little repetative and should've been a bit shorter. 4. Exquisite Dead Guy : Strange. Very strange. That's all I have to say. 5. Metal Detector : This song also would've been the better choice to have be the single. The music part is really good and I also like the lyrics. 6. New York City : Yet again, this would've been a better single (I guess most of the songs would, so I'll stop saying that when I come to one). Does anyone else think this song kinda sounds like Breakfast at Tiffany's (I think the band's name is Deep Blue Something, but I'm not sure)? 7. Your Own Worst Enemy : When I saw the title of this song I didn't really expect it to sound anything like it does. It's OK, but I don't like it near as much as TMHFO or NYC. 8. XTC vs. Adam Ant : I didn't like this song the first time I heard it, but now it's starting to grow on me. I still wish I knew what XTC was. 9. Spiralling Shape : I also didn't like this song when I first heard it (I'm gonna get flamed for that) but, just like XTC vs. AA, I'm beginning to like this one too. It's better than the previous song, but, just like the previous song, I wish it made sense to me. I guess that's the fun of a They song. 10. James K. Polk : I'm probably going to get flammed for this one too, but I seem to be the only one who dislikes this song. Maybe it sounds better in the earlier version, I dunno. 11. Pet Name : Don't like. Simple as that. 12. I Can Hear You : I can hear you too, and I WANT YOU TO SHUTUP!! I really dislike this song and wish they hadn't recorded it on... whatever they recorded it on. 13. The Bells Are Ringing : Fortunately, after three (two for everyone else) bad songs in a row before this, They ended the album with a good song. It's length is perfect and sounds great. Overall : FS is better than JH, but doesn't come anywhere near the ultimate power of Flood. There's my opinions. I hope all of you people are nice to me about them. :) Bye! ------------------------------ From: kungfu@xanadu2.net Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:50:12 -0500 Subject: Re: erm, help, por favor At 10:34 PM 10/14/96 EDT, you wrote: > Um, this isn't They related, but I need some help. I really want >to get my hair to stand up in spikes fer Halloween (and maybe other times, >who knows?). So I need some suggestions. I'd really appreciate any help >yous guys could give me. hi, try Knox gelatin. they should sell it in grocery stores in (obviously) the gelatin section. what you do is mix it real good w/ water and then apply to hair. it should make your hair stand up real good. i used to use this in my "punk" days. hope this helps, bye! kimberly *i'm not proud of it but i just love it* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:15:54 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: SEXXY single the record shop i go through has one on order for me foor the 15th of nov. they are getting it on cd.. so, if anyone else is saying later then 15th they must have a bad distributer..heheheheh.. but, hey.. if it's late i'll tell you all how it is :) |---------------------------| | grefin@cyberhighway.net | |---------------------------| I got a ride home with a drunk guy How ungrateful I must have seemed He showed me how to spin my head round and round We'll be sleeping in the flowers Tell my boss I'm fired -They Might Be Giants On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I asked Tower and they said SEXXY will be out Oct 29!! > How could it possibly be sooo late? I hope other stores get it in > earlier and Tower just screwed up... > Matt > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James > polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > "Cracking toast, Gromit!" > New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:17:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: You gave me a PET NAME, which is not to say i like it. I was trying to figure out why Pet Name sounded so familiar. Well, I think I've figured it out. Listen to "Television's Greatest Hits of the 70s and 80s" about 5 times and you'll know every chord progression. ...which is not to say I don't like it. ;> Lara Schmidt _________________ poet, writer, musician, webslave! _________________ www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~maneater www.missouri.edu/~moreview www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~c619888 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:42:41 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG in PHILLY!!!! (sorry, I'm late!) Hi TMBGer's!!!!!! Wow! Where do I start? The Philly show Sunday night ROCKED! I wish that each of you could have been there! However, since that's probably not physically possible, I'll tell you *all* about it! Well, Matt James, Nola, and Sarah (who all drove up from Baltimore for the show) arrived at my house at about 5:30ish, and after a brief stop at a pizza place, we were on our way to TMBG!!!! We arrived at the Electric Factory about 1 and 1/2 hours early, so we had relatively decnt positions in line, which eventually went far around the block! We kept a steady vigil walking up and down the line, searching for fellow listers, but we had no luck. Our earliness proved ever-so-helpful, as we were able to coast right up to the front row upon entry into the Electric Factory! Also, once I started chatting with the people around me, I found that half of them were people that I had wanted to meet from the list, etc!!!! I was especially happy to meet Frank (a new lister) who got to MEET Flans and Linnell before the show! (I was kinda kicking myself because he saw Them at a diner that Matt, Nola, Sarah, and I had been talking about earlier! If only.....) Frank also requested No One Knows My Plan, and They played a snippet of it just for him!!!! Lucky guy! =) I also got to (briefly) meet Ellen, as well as a whole bunch of nonlisters, it was great! Well, the show itself was (musically) *great!!!!* They were definitely 'on' that night, you could tell that They were both having a great time during the entire show! They did especially good jobs on Exquisite Dead Guy (the puppets were Great!), Spy (which They called 'the blues in A minor), New York City, and, heck, just about every other song They played!!!!! =) I'm sure you're all heard by now, but They also did an extrememly cool thing during the intro to Istanbul....one by one, They traded in Their own instrumentsfor trombones!!!! It was the coolest thing ever!!!!!!! According to Matt, instead of Istanbul, They should have played Rhythm Section Want Ad.....wall of trombones!!!! And, to top it off, I walked out of the show with a setlist of my own! All in all, it was an awesome night! By the way, I recorded this show, if any of you are interested in trading!!!!! =) Well, I just got back to school tonight, so I have bunches of work to do. I am definitely looking forward to the NY show at the Roselands, hope to see lots of you there! sun and smiles (and TMBG afterglow) cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:52:47 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: My bottom five+fave albums > > Everybody's doing it! Now do the opposite! Rank your least fav TMBG Songs!! Ack. Ack. Ack. Five TMBG songs I don't like? Very difficult. Verrrrry difficult. Hmmm: Window: Bleah. The worst song on JH. Particle Man: Actually not such a bad song, but gets irritating when all your friends think that's all TMBG can do. S-E-X-X-Y: Hack, hack. Alienations 4 the rich: groan. Let's all listen to flansburgh pretend he's a country singer. And I can't think of another TMBG song I don't like. Sorry. And favorite albums: 1. Lincoln: Catchy tunes, great lyrics. What's not to like? 2. Pink Album: I like it more and more every day. Those little songs are irritating, but you can't go wrong with an album that has She's an Angel, DLS(not to be confused with WLSD), AND Puppet Head. And did I mention Rhythm Section Want Ad? 3. Apollo 18: Great overall album. Not that many outstanding songs, but no real flaws either. 4. JH: Barely below Apollo 18, this album is the target of way too much abuse. I really like this album. Actually, I really like all TMBG albums, but this one's right up there. C'mon, it has Sleeping in the Flowers, Thermostat, No One Knows My Plan, and The End of the Tour. 5. FS: Cool, but too short. I think we're all overexposed to FS opinions so I'll refrain froms aying anything else. 6. Misc. T: Fun album with a few great songs and a lot of entertaining songs. Love It's not my birthday 7. Flood: boy, am I gonna get flamed about this. I like it too, but maybe I'm just overexposed. it just doesn't do the same things to me as all the other albums. There is no album I don't love though, and that includes this one. I like it, just not as much. Bye. -- "Get out of the car. Put down the phone. Take off that stupid looking hat you wear." -They Might Be Giants "They say I'm mental but I'm just confused"-The Eels Jonah, who must have Rusted Root tickets or he will die. Painfully. ------------------------------ From: "Tim Lloyd" Subject: Re: yakaitis! Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:44:29 -0500 > I just love this song, don't you guys? I mean, the seductive appeal of > this song and Giants tunes in general actually created a bizarre social > order of mindless followers on the internet. > The real kicker is that many of these followers feel they are asserting > their individual freedom (i.e. breaking free from social order) by > assimilating into a society of people who like the same stuff they do, a > society where they can act like everyone else. They are actually breaking > free from one social order by joining another. > Geez, what a great song. > > Peter. It's kind of like poor Brian in Monty Python's Life of Brian. Maybe if Brian had written music...naah. Tim Lloyd omaha@tmbg.org http://www.top.net/tlloyd "You only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:04:35 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Comments on threads in the group... On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >Some people will never understand. I'm looking through the digests to put > >together a whole summary of the debates, including the infamous "Reasons > >to be Blue" list. > > Heh. I remember when you had "Reasons to be blue" in your sig. But be fair, > though -- don't leave out the "reasons to be pink" list either. Jon Chaffer won't let me forget. > >But a lot of effort was put into making the little stuff sound good. > >Believe me, the stuff on the Big Blue Dog album is wonderful when compared > >to the cheesy 1984 demo tape. > > I still think a lot of it is bad. Chess Piece Face, Boat Of Car, Youth > Culture, Toddler Hiway -- They Might Be fun the first time you hear them, > but after a while they tend to get annoying. IMHO. No, I'm talking about the *1984* demo tape. Not the one released by Hello. The '84 demo tape is in the hands of a select few, and I had a copy until my !@#$#%# tape player ate it. > >> > >> But it *is* the most popular album... > > > >Uh, no it's not. Flood is, with over 800,000 copies sold, outpacing #2 > >Lincoln by about 200,000 at last count. > > Oh, well, it's not the most popular in album sales, but you'd be > hard-pressed to find ten people in the newsgroup *and* mailing list that > would say anything really bad about it. Okay, you're right there. A lot of Lincoln frankly, freut mich nicht, I didn't like Cage & Aquarium, Purple Toupee, Pencil Rain, About all on Lincoln that I really liked was Snowball in Hell. I like Son of God, too, but I like the Misc. T rendition better. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:17:42 -0400 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: Tech Hello out there. For any one I haven't found yet, if you go to Virgina tech or live some where near by please contact me, (Merciless@vt.edu). That about it, oh and after listening to pretty much nothing but FS for the last week I dig it. At first I was a little frightned by the rockiness of some songs, but know I think it 's all supper. It definetly sounds alot more They than JH, but I guess this has all been said. I really can't pick 5 Mercilesss ############################################################################ ##"For the first time I looked twords the uncertain future with a sense of hope, because if a machine can learn the value of a human life than perhaps we can to. -Linda Hamaltin (T2) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:19:37 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Bottom 5 songs Ooh...this is not so hard... And so, in no particular order, 1. The Day 2. Unrelated Thing Well, those are the ones that caused me to think, "What the hell were They thinking?" Now, just the least favourite- 3. Alienation's for the Rich 4. You'll Miss Me (except that "every tree is a finger of my glove" part- I love that!) 5. Your Racist Friend Something I find interesting is that a lot of people don't like songs like "Extra Savoir Fair" and "Stormy Pinkness", which are some of my favourites, yet a lot of people really like "Your Racist Friend" which in general, I can't stand. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 22:28:20 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Comments on threads in the group... >> Heh. I remember when you had "Reasons to be blue" in your sig. But be fair, >> though -- don't leave out the "reasons to be pink" list either. > >Jon Chaffer won't let me forget. You got that right! --Member P^4 (People for the Preservation and Popularization of the Pink Album) -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:34:06 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: List Deja-Vu Here y'all go...this is how bad the blue -vs- pink debate got. Look at number 79....that started a rather lengthy thread if I remember correctly. *------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 23:28:41 -0400 Subject: Reasons to be Blue THIS IS A BETA VERSION Additional copies of this list can be obtained from: idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com, or 75034.1201@compuserve.com ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________ REASONS TO BE BLUE (I didn't say they were good reasons) by Sean Bergeron or BlueDog, Joel Martin-Kuester or SKAZOOKA!, whoever else e-mails me some reasons 1. The Blue Meanie from the Beatles' movie, "The Yellow Submarine" wouldn't be as cool if it was a Pink Meanie 2. Cookie Monster is blue 3. Grover is blue 4. Gonzo is blue 5. Superman has blue hair 6. "The Pink Danube" sounds very wrong 7. There are a lot more blue lines on a piece of paper than the one pink line 8. The Microsoft DOS Editor is blue 9. To Confuse the Electric Monk 10. The R. C. Cola Can is blue 11. Nobody beats you up if you wear a blue suit. 12. Word Perfect 4.2, the best-selling word processor ever, is blue by default. 13. The Sky is Blue 14. Lowenbrau Beer bottles have a blue label 15. A Sailor would look really stupid in pink bell-bottoms. 16. No women flag you down to buy cosmetics when you drive a blue car. 17. OS/2 Warp Full Pack comes in a blue box. 18. Marge Simpson's Hair is blue 19. A pink sno-cone tastes like cough syrup. 20. There's a Blue Room in the White House. 21. Sonic the Hedgehog is blue 22. I can't go see the Johns shows on the seventh. 23. English Teachers will allow you to write an essay in blue ink. 24. Rush Limbaugh's Book,SEE I TOLD YOU SO, has a blue cover. 25. Elvis probably wouldn't have the fan base he has today if he'd sung about pink suede shoes. 26. Blockbuster Music, where I buy my TMBG CDs, has a blue sign. 27. Domino's Pizza 28. It wasn't too long ago when you could only buy Levi's in blue. 29. Netscape has a blue Icon. 30. The US. Postal service is blue. 31. Those cute MetLife commercials with the Peanuts, end in a blue screen. 32. The first-class seats on a Delta L-1011, are blue. 33. AOL Disks aren't blue. 34. Royalty have blue blood. 35. Blue Bonnet Spread tastes good on many things. 36. BLUE Canary in the outlet by the light switch. 37. Cops wear blue. 38. A construction worker wouldn't get many jobs with pinkprints. 39. The Windows 95 box is blue. 40. Toilet Water can be easily made blue. 42. The cover to the paperback version of THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY is blue. (notice the number) 43. One of the Astronauts in the Vomit Comet on the Apollo 18 Jacket is wearing a blue Suit. 44 .That Freaky-looking girl on the John Henry cover has on a blue skirt. 45. One of the Olympic Rings is blue. 46. The June 1, 1995 issue of ROLLING STONE has a review of TMBG's performance at The Academy on April 1. The Picture to go along with the article has Flans wearing a Blue striped shirt. 47. Blue Scope makes your mouth fresh. 48. Blue eyes are pretty, whereas pink-eye looks painful and gross. 49. The Lettering on the Absolut Vodka bottle is blue. 50. Beavis' shirt is blue. 51. Pat's (SNL) shirt is blue. 52. Ex-Lax comes in a blue box. 53. Blueberry muffins taste great. 54. The CompuServe Icon is blue. 55. The Whale on the Apollo 18 cover is blue. 56. The Tums bottle is blue. 57. The U. S. Flag has no pink. 58. Crest Cool Mint Gel is blue, and it fights cavities, too! 59. The U. S. News and World Report Cover is blue. 60. If there were no blue, there would be no purple. If there were no purple, there would be no purple toupee. 61. Donald Duck wears blue. 62. Yankees wearing blue socks and sandals make good roadkill targets. 63. Big Blue Bought Lotus. OS/2 apps for all! 64. 13 of the 30 NFL teams wear blue. 65. Hypertext links are blue. 66. Interstate Designation signs are blue. 67. The Sky is Blue. 68. Doctors wear blue in the operating room. 69. Maxwell Coffee comes in a blue can!!!! 70. Some stars are blue. 71. The Weather Channel's Logo is blue. 72. Skim Milk has a blue tint. 73. Greyhound Bus Drivers wear blue. 74. Iodine turns a saltine cracker blue. 75. There are now blue M&M's. 76. Wake up and smell the catfood. Blue cats exist. 77. The first TMBG IRC chat was held on the #bluedog channel. 78. Smurfs are blue. 79. Mr. Blobby is Pink. 80. The 10 Deutsch Mark bill is blue. 81. The Air Force wears blue uniforms. 82. People are pink only when they are living. You're blue for a long, long time. 83. The Jeopardy board is blue. 84. Some of the birds in "Birds Fly" could be bluebirds. 85. You can't mix paints to get blue. 86. The Pillsbury Dough Boy wears some blue. 87. The bad guys got sent to the Blue Oyster Bar in Police Academy. 88. S. O. S. Pads are blue. 89. Excedrin comes in a blue bottle. 90. Yassar Arafat's head wrap is blue and white. 91. Cub Scouts wear blue uniforms. 92. I'd get worried if I saw a pink moon. 93. The Pink folks will feel blue after reading this. 94. Those big pads that the pole vaulters land on are blue. 95. A Gas stove gives off a blue flame. 96. In some places, the sea is still blue. 97. After working on your car, if you wipe your hands on the pink hand towel, your wife will yell at you. 98. The World Landspeed record was once held by a car named THE BLUE FLAME. 99. SuperFuled Freaksickle has been delayed. 100. TMBG's first album has a picture of a Big Blue Dog on the front. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:38:25 -0400 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: Hey Armstrong Hey Clarissa, this is Brian McGing, I lost your email adress please write me, Merciless @vt.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Bottom 5 TMBG Songs! From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:04:16 EDT On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:20:17 -0700 Colin Ferm writes: >Bottom 5 > >Spider >Youth Culture Killed My Dog >Purple Toupe >Worlds Address >Toddler Hiway Please, I must know, where do you get your crack. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:04:05 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: oops? Received: from cliff.ou.edu (cliff.backbone.ou.edu [129.15.2.9]) by pop1.backbone.ou.edu (8.7.6/8.7.3) with SMTP id VAA21189 for ; Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:57:08 -0500 (CDT) Received: by cliff.ou.edu; Tue, 15 Oct 96 21:58:48 -0500 Message-Id: <32644f684c1f002@cliff.ou.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 96 21:58:48 -0500 From: MAILER-DAEMON@CLIFF.BACKBONE.ou.edu To: cc: Postmaster@CLIFF.BACKBONE.ou.edu Subject: Undeliverable mail X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 Your message was not delivered to the following recipients: tmbg-list@tmbg.og: No such host: tmbg.og ---------------- Your original message ---------------- Received: from walker0-18.reshall.ou.edu by cliff.ou.edu; Tue, 15 Oct 96 21:58:46 -0500 Message-ID: <326409E2.791E@ou.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:02:10 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Reply-To: Heather.L.Tinkler-1@ou.edu Organization: The University of Oklahoma X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.02 (Macintosh; I; PPC) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.og Subject: it's a love/hate kinda thing References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit my top favorite songs/songs I detest.respectively 5.She's An Angel 4.I Palindrome I 3.Narrow Your Eyes 2.Ana NG 1.Birdhouse In Your Soul 5.Hide Away Folk Family 4.Road To Berlin 3.Alienations For The Rich 2.My Racist Friend 1. Cabbagetown P.s. as if anyone cares, but I won a writing contest in our school newspaper about the worst movie I've seen in the theaters in the last 6 months. Mine was The Island of Dr. Moreau. "Don't remove a fly from your friends forehead with a hatchet."- Chinese Proverb. Heather ------------------------------ Subject: Bottom Five: Because I Just Don't Care From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:23:04 EDT Here you go, after mulling through 20 or so sleepy eyed messages I shall post... Just to make myself feel special, there is no particular order and um, remixes don't count or they would take up the entire list: Unrelated Thing XTC vs. Adam Ant Until My Head Falls Off Saphire Bullets New York Shitty The person who can find the pattern wins a prize. Try to guess my least favourite albums and you also win a prize... If you think that this makes me an untrue fan of the band you should ask yourself if you've been here as long as me and if you have a very large TMBG website and if you spent $30 on a promo Istanbul 12"... It doesn't matter... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:23:40 -0500 From: the spiralling shape which made me go insane Subject: my top 5 and everything else... hmmm... my top 5 TMBG songs, lets see... 1. we want a rock. for some reason it has grown and grown on me to the point where it is by far my favorite song of theirs... GREAT GREAT song. 2. ana ng. my first tmbg song, and probably my favorite song of all time. slight contridiction there, not my fav. tmbg song but my fav overall, but that's ok, makes perfect sense to me. 3. she's an angel. always a favorite of mine, nice love song, slightly strange, which makes it that much better. 4. new york city. wow... definately a high point of factory showroom. super happy pop song, not what i expected from TMBG, but very good all the same. 5. puppet head. how to explain... just a great song. surenuff like everyone said that was really hard to do. as far as favorite albums go, i really can't say at this point. i went for a long time thinking that lincoln was my very favorite, but in the last year i guess i've gotten to the point where i really like all of them almost equally. each album has it's own feel to it, a style all of its own. i haven't quite gotten used to factory showroom yet, but i'm sure it will come in time. i like pretty much every song on the album, some more than others, but i think it's great as a whole. ok least favorites... not many of these, but i'd have to say: the guitar (even further outer planet mix) the guitar (outer planet mix) i'm def ??????????? seems there have been many unfriendly words aimed at john henry lately, which kind of suprises me. i heard nothing but praise for it when it came out, all of which i think is appropriate and well founded. hmmmm... you guys better be careful, if you keep talking badly about it you might anger persephone, and we know what that could cause.... and so... paul ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:37:25 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: oops? SORRY! Your Racist friend...YOUR YOUR YOUR!!! temporary insanity!!! Heather ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Jan 1980 20:58:17 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: Re: They Might Be Arobics +Jacobs top 5 Also at the end of the last encore, they did what I guess was > a sign to show everyone that they were leaving for good. They put their arms > over their heads and did these slow, full-body waves. Seemed to me that they > were doing They Might Be Arobics up on the stage. > >> SJL Well............My friend is a Jazzercize nut and she say they play TMBG every class! I think they only dance to Istanbul but maybe They know!!!! THe TOP 5 has a clear winner at this point (anyone guessing?) but a TIE for second place! Keep those top 5 coming folks! HMMMM.....bottom 5? give me a while.... Here are Jacobs (10 yrs) top 5---in no order 1.They'll Need a Crane 2.Anna Ng 3.She's an Angel 4.Purple Toupee 5.I've Got A Match Jacob is nostalgic for the music of his youth (first few months of life!) Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 00:06:54 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Comments on Philly and Top 5's Hmm... where to start. The opening act was one "Buzz Zeemer" whose name is much more fun to say than his music is to listen to. He has apparently written one song, while trying entirely too hard to be Matthew Sweet, and used it over and over again. His lead guitarist was a creepy fellow who kept making these strange convulsive faces before hawking loogies onto the stage. I was waiting for Flans to notice. The only highlight of the act was that my friend threw his socks at Mr. Zeemer, attempting to hit him in the head. Unfotunately he only got to graze the drummer. TMBG opened with Subliminal after many delays. This meant that I was to lose my position in front to a 7-foot gentleman who, along with the entire population of Europe, Asia, and Guam, it seemed, was bent on taking my place in front at center stage and separating me from all of my friends. Yes, there ARE stupid, rude, and obnoxious They fans out there. Luckily there was no damage to my trusty tape recorder, which caught the entire show. For some reason, I wasn't feeling any energy from the band, like they were there only because they had to be. Especially Linnell, but he was just sick, so... They moved on to "How Can I Sing Like A Girl" a song about "personal freedom in a f*cked up world similar to our own," as Flans, who seemed to be the show's narrator, described it. This song was very cool, but there was nothing especially notable about this live rendition. The crowd as still awful at this point, only now the marijuana and nictotine was probably kicking in. Next was Snail Shell. Again, it seemed fairly normal. (NOTE: I am actually listening to my recording as I am typing this) Next was the always Rockin' "Why Does the Sun Shine?". The intro, bass, and drums kicked a whole lot of ass, but for some reason, Linnell didn't feel creative that night. No estrogen, no wood, no hair. Just "Aluminum, Copper, Iron and many others." He did pause however, allowing the audience to fill in, it seemed. The crowd began to settle down as I was forced further back. At the end of this song, there were sparse cries from the Johns of "Ladies and Gentlemen." As they picked up it became apparent that they would go into "Spider." And so they played Spider, as a crowd tried to figure out exactly how to dance to "Spider." As with Apollo, "The Guitar" followed "Spider." Normally done, except for an incredibly chaotic horn solo. With some incredible bass. Next came "a song about two bands. One XTC, the other, not a band, but a guy, Adam Ant." Nothing wonderfully special here, until the end, when two large poles with heads on the end were brought out and they went into a chorus of "ba ba da ba ba ba da ba"'s. Yes folks, they had puppet heads. And they were very cool. The bass was also totally rockin' "we do a lot of noew songs... but... um... we still play a lot of the old songs... for the old fans out there." With this they began "Particle Man." I loved it. I love the new stuff, but it hasn't grown on me like the older stuff has. A hearty whoo-hoo to this song, though there was no special improv. Then, without intro, Flans went into "She's Actual Size." Instead of his usual, 5 minute "SSSHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE's" he left it to "the crown of Jersey City, Mr. Brian Doherty on the g-d damned drums, to do the fill in, making for a fairly short (comparitively) "SSSHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE's." At this point, John F. comments how a previous show had left the word Philadelphia in big letters on the stage and how he's glad that's not his problem. He followed with "It's great to be back in DC, folks." Then he introduced Your Own Worst Enemy. Linnell, however sang, "but the sign on the door says nobody's home" rather than "but the person inside..." which to me detracts from the cleverness of the line. They also chopped off the last verse. "But wait! What about more new songs? What about delivering disappointment wherever we go by playing the unfamiliar and the underappreciated. Now how much will you pay?" This was Flans's inspired lead in to "a song originally by a band called Cub from British Columbia. A song about where we live." Needless to say, it was New York City. the only thing really new was "You held my hand, I held yours" and not "I held your hand, you held mine" Next was "a new, old song about. An old song, on the new album about an old guy." James K. Polk complete with "lalalala"'s. This was followed by Twisting. Same old song with Flans screaming "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon" before the organ solo. Then came "Until My Head Falls Off." No comments here either except that the chords are, in fact, C G F. S-E-X-X-Y - Nothing new here except the forgetting of the "unnoticed by few line" replaced by a repetition of "you gotta understand." Spiralling Shape / Spiraling Shape - Nothing new here. Still a neato song. James Ensor - Great to hear an old familiar after 3 newer songs. Linnel falsettoed a "doo-doo-doodoo-doo-doo-doo-doodoo." It was funny. Next came "another song about being all f*cked up." (Take it for what you will) Sleeping in the Flowers, beginning with the chorus and leading into the first verse. Next was the always disappointing "No One Knows My Band." It's not that it's a bad band introduction, it's just that my friend and I were getting ready to conga, when suddenly, instead of continuing with NOKMP, they starting introducing people. Or should I say Flans started introducing people (Linnel didn't seem all that lively). The end of the set was "the ladies' choice, so I want to see all of you out on the dance floor. Here's a song called 'Dig My Grave'." Very funny. FIRST ENCORE Older - It's just "Older". Stil cool. Still concert only. The end of Older was, in the same Older synth sound, the vocal part to "It's just a full day's drive away," which paved the way for Nyquil Driver. NyQuil Driver in turn led into Stayin Alive. Hysterical stuff. Of course shortly before Stayin Alive, my tape had to stop for some reason. Go figure. Next was "Birdhouse." What can I say? It's a classic. SECOND ENCORE They Got Lost - Still cool. Still concert only. Spy / Blues in A Minus / Instanbul - By far one of the greatest performances of the night. Spy had a LOT of life behind it. Blues in A Minus was the crowning glory though. The Spy freeform saw Linnell (HEY! He's AWAKE!) conducting the band. Then, the bassist (who was especially good that night) put down the bass and picked up a trombone. This led to Eric putting down his guitar and picking up a trombone. So of course, Flans, put down the Les Paul and picked up, what else?, a trombone. The real kicker was when Brian picked up a trombone. They all went a little nuts for a bit and then the trumpeter stepped forward and began to play what I now know to be the intro to Instanbul. At the time it seemed like cool little improvs. This led right into (well 5 minutes later) Istanbul, which left the crowd screaming and ended the show on a great note. Listening to the recording of it now. Way cool. BTW, Top 5 Songs: 1. Birdhouse in Your Soul 2. Metal Detector 3. Self Called Nowhere 4. No One Knows My Plan 5. The End of The Tour 6. She's an Angel 7. They'll Need a Crane 8. Hey, Mr. DJ... 9. All the rest Least Faves: 1. [untitled] 2. O Do Not Forsake Me (except when done live by Them) 3. Road Movie to Berlin 4. Cage and Aquarium 5. Dead Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ From: Fszelwac@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 00:17:54 -0400 Subject: I MET THEY Hi everybody, this is Frank. I'm brand spanking new to the mailing list (definitely not a new TBMG fan though) and I thought that if anybody was interested they might want to hear about how I MET THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS last sunday before the Philly show. It was about an hour before the show was going to start, when I parked the car. Me and two of my friends were hungry so we decided that we would go grab a bite before we got on line. We walk about two blocks when my friend hits me in the back and points ahead of me. I couldn't believe my eyes, walking not even four feet in front of me, I recognize those backs, THE ENTIRE BAND. They had appararantly been walking in front of us the whole time. Then THEY stopped at a corner to cross the street to get to the diner on the other side. I said "John, excuse me" no reply, so I tapped Flansburgh on the shoulder and they all turned around. I actually shaked Flansburgh's hand and smiled at Linell, who smiled back. All that that could come out of my mouth was "Hey hows it going guys?" what a dufus I was. I was awestruck. They replied nicely and crossed the street to the diner. I could Not believe what happened. We went to a pizzeria a little farther down and ate. On the way back we passed the diner when my friend dared me to request a song for the show. I was scared crapless but this was probably going to be my last chance to speak to my deities. I sucked in my shame, entered the diner, and went right up to the table They were sitting at. I said, "I'm real sorry to disturb you guys but No One Knows My Plan, please please please?" I don't know why I picked that one (just came to mind). Linnel said,"It's not on the list but maybe we'll play a little bit", and gave me a weird grin. I thanked them and left. Come the concert (a great one I might add) and in the middle THEY play the opening chords of Plan, do band intro, and end with the last four chords of Plan. At that moment I was the happiest person ever on the face of the planet. I asked, They said they may play a piece, and They did. Even if They planned to do the piece of No One Knows My Plan with or without my asking, I still feel special, one of the few rare moments. I TOUCHED HIS HAND, frank PS HEY CORTNEY IF YOUR READING THIS, HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 00:46:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: They Might Be Punk... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Oct-96 They Might Be Punk... by harris james andrew@oats > "Stomp Box" sounds just like "Dig My Grave" to me. Another one of their > takes on punk rock, really. They have covered so many genres (Country, > Jazz, Blues, Folk, Funk, even techno-rave (see the "Guitar" remixes if > you don't believe me...I had the rave DJ at my radio station play it once > and he loved it, even played it again another week)) that it only seems > appropriate that They Might Be Punk now and again... No. Stomp Box and Dig My Grave are distinct. The chord progressions are, in fact, different: Stomp Box: Am F D G ("stomp box speak...") C G C G ("shout, shout, shout, shout...") Horns/Organ in bridge Dig: A C G D ("dig my grave...") B B B B ("every time...") Guitar solo in bridge They do, however, have similar rhythms, and similar guitar styles, which is what a lot of people seem to think about. But Stomp Box is much more complex instrumentally, and is also played at a slightly slower tempo than Dig My Grave. If you're looking for songs that sound similar, try: I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die/It's Not My Birthday (yes, they are very different, but have identical chord progressions in certain parts) SenSurround/Till My Head Falls Off/Weird Al's TMBG parody Everything You Know is Wrong ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 00:50:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Top 5 and Bottom 5 songs Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Oct-96 Top 5 and Bottom 5 songs by "Jeff Scanlon, Jr."@osf1 > 1) You'll Miss Me > 2) Hearing Aid > 3) Hotel Detective (not off the BtS Single) > 4) Extra Savoir-Faire > 5) Unrelated Thing Wheee... let's get this thread started again: 1. Santa's Beard 2. Pet Name 3. Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love 3.5 the ending of Spy 4. Toddler Hiway 5. The Day Flame away... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 00:54:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Comments on Philly and Top 5's Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Oct-96 Comments on Philly and Top 5's by Jeff Morrow@voicenet.com > introduced Your Own Worst Enemy. Linnell, however sang, "but the sign on > the door says nobody's home" rather than "but the person inside..." which There's a note on the door that I would see.... I wish they'd start playing that live again. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 01:03:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: How Can I Sing Like Linnell? And JH On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, BlueDawg wrote: > > I have absolutely no problem singing along with Linnell. Now, I do work > in radio, and have a pretty versatile voice. I can do singing > impressions, and Linnell is very, very easy if you don't try to force the > nasality. Also, Linnell tends to use a lot of harmony with himself, and > you can't sing between them. Flansburgh is probably tougher to imitate > because his vocal technique varies greatly (Ailenation's for the Rich vs > I'll Sink Manhattan). The problem I have doing Linnell is that my voice > has more vibratto (not much I can do about that....I wuz burn thataway), > so my long notes are different. (f.e. the Democrats were > Spliiiiiiiiittt). Actually, I think she meant Linnell's range. I find it very very hard to sing along with his songs too, because the top of his range is right near the bottom of mine, so I have to switch octaves all over the place. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Whenever you leave your house to go out, attach a ball of string to your front door so that you can you can find your way back again when you need to return home. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 01:18:30 -0700 From: jenn Subject: Re: Comments on threads in the group... Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > --Member P^4 (People for the Preservation and Popularization of the Pink Album) the scariest part about this -- i never was for either name until i realized that i now call it the pink album. i actually referred to it as the Pink Album in a conversation with someone at the Philly concert. jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter _____________________________________________________________________ The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 01:26:20 -0700 From: jenn Subject: Re: TMBG in PHILLY!!!! (sorry, I'm late!) > And, to top it off, I walked out of the show with a setlist of my own! All > in all, it was an awesome night! By the way, I recorded this show, if any > of you are interested in trading!!!!! =) interesting side note to this -- if you received a setlist, as did matthew james, that would make three people on the list who got a set list and we all stood next to each other. (without knowing it, i was on the other side of matt.) jenn ps. my friend cindy who was with me also got a set list, so that would be four of us in a row in the front row who received a set list. weird, eh? pps. i'm sharing this with everyone on the list, because it's a TMBG related weird coincidence! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-283 ******************************