Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-284 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 284 Thursday, 17 October 1996 Today's Topics: Looking for someone Factory Showroom in Canada New Album In UK Now for something you'll really enjoy... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-281 YFF?, Shtuff, Balls-on review tmbg-list FAQ Factory Showroom, 5 best, and other stuff. Re: Factory Showroom in Canada Re: Factory Showroom, 5 best, and other stuff. The pumpernickel flies at midnight Toronto superstars 5 WORST BLAH SONGS top 5 etc Road movie Top Five, Low Five, and Album Order BOBA MAIL: They Might Be Punk... Re Bottom 5 TMBG Songs Linnell's solo projects!!!!! the fab five TMBG and Beatles Re: Now for something you'll really enjoy... Re: TMBG and Beatles TMBG says, "hello". !! RE: that whistle in Spiraling Shape RE:RE:Stomp Box Why? Re: I GOTTA BUST HEADS WITH YOU GUYS HERE!!!!!!! Top 5 songs RE: that whistle in Spiraling Shape Re: Otis Ball Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-283 Top 5 SOngs I LoVE and Love to Hate my top & bottom 5 Similarities in songs (was Re: They Might Be Punk...) top5/ bottom 5 "blue" flaws and such... Musical tastes Alice meets Madness Philly show Philly show Re: Bottom Five: Because I Just Don't Care Me too. MAN NOBODY ELSE LIKES MY STUFF!!!! D'oh! Prejusticed People faves and such.. Top 5, bottom 5 and fav albums Curiousity about Favorite songs Re: Musical tastes Re: Prejusticed People Re: that whistle in Spiraling Shape Woah! I'm confused! Why not. TMBG Favorites and Island picks. TMBG on Canadian radio Desert Island Discs Yet More 5 favs 5 least favs Re: Prejusticed People Unrelated Thing Least favorites...Stomp Box/Dig My Grave Re: my top 5 and everything else... Otis Ball is OK by me! Get Away/Token Back to Brooklyn sorry to confuse.. All around albums known writer of songs A ton of stuff arragnged in sloppy grammar! Re: Prejusticed People Sarah's Favorite Five Why top Fives??? cause EVERYONE wants to know (just kiding) who wrote what Re: Why top Fives??? Nuclear holocaust must haves Re: Why top Fives??? and 5 more! Re: Prejusticed People SEXXY Re: Curiousity about Favorite songs Re: Prejusticed People House Of Mayors Re: Prejusticed People Re: known writer of songs Re: Prejusticed People Bye for awhile Re: Nuclear holocaust must haves Re: Toronto superstars Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-283 Counterfeit Faker Re: Prejusticed People RE: that whistle in Spiraling Shape Re: Prejusticed People Top and Bottom 5 Re:Top 5, Bottom 5, etc... if I was stranded on a deserted island........ RE:Bow Wow Wow Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 03:59:59 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Looking for someone Hi. If you are the person who emailed Mrklaw in regards to his boot list, and offered the 9/23/96 Charlottesville, VA show, please email me. We seem to have lost your address, and I would like to handle the trade. Thank you. Mike http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Always free, never busy, totally twisted ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:35:31 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Factory Showroom in Canada Hi. Well for those of you in Canada, Factory Showroom has been released, I got mine yesterday at Sunrise in Toronto for $14.99. It was one dollar more at HMV and five dollars more at Sam's. I hope that wherever you are in this country you can find it, and reasonably priced. Good luck. Also, I like the record. For me, it's the weakest record by TMBG but this does not mean it is bad. I really like it. But there has to be one record I like the least by them and this may be it. I am still glad I bought it, though, cause a weak record by TMBG is more satisfying than most other stuff which passes for music. I realise this may seem like I don't really feel too hot about the record. On the contrary, I like it a whole lot. I just don't like it as much as I like the other records and I think that's fair, I'll still play the hell out of it. Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 96 10:35:56 BST From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: New Album In UK Dear All, Sorry, but I've been away for a bit.... when will the new album be out in the UK? Virgin and HMV know nothing of it. And how about the single? Can anyone tell me? Also, people keep saying that NYC is a cover. It's not that song by Charles and Eddie (of 'Would I Lie To You?' infamy), is it? I doubt it somehow. Cheers, Mark ------------------------------ Subject: Now for something you'll really enjoy... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 02:13:55 EDT In the tradition of Tracy (gosh I miss her)... Top Ten Signs You've Been Listening to Too Much TMBG 10. You think the Lincoln Memorial is located in Cowtown and is all about Purple Toupees. 9. When you listen to anything else you get angry when you can't figure out which John sings it. 8. You carry a broom with you everywhere. 7. All of your shirts are covered with sloppy designs and quotes. 6. You demand that pencils are not made in factories, but come in the rain. 5. Your best discussions are had with mirrors and iron bars. 4. When asked whether free speech should be allowed, you beat people up. 3. After your girlfriend/boyfriend asked you if you loved them, you went out to look for saphire bullets. 2. Your two children are named They and Might. 1. You actually think Factory Showroom is brilliant. Enjoy until you can't anymore =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 09:11:11 PST Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-281 From: kalton@juno.com (kenneth a herniman) OK well here are my thoughts... 1:FS: Its great! And who ever the guy is that is saying that TMBG fans just say they like it just because it is TMBG so they cant disscredit a band... --> Get a clue. Just because you dont like it does that mean i am not allowed to like it? It seems to me that someone thinks just a little too highly of themself. 2:Top five songs: hmmm...(thought process) 5: its not my birthday 4: Birdhouse... 3: dinner bell 2: twisting 1: she's an angelNew York city most likely will knock Its...Birthday off in the future but its still too neww of a song to do it now 3: ok here is where i ask for help. i need to decide weatther to ggo to a Tori Amos concert or not. ok here the circumstances. itss this Saturday and is sold out. i can only get my hands on 1 ticket but 2 people want to go with me; if we dont go to Tori we are going to go to see The Pietasters ( a verry good ska band). I really want to see tori but dont want to leave my friends. shhould i A. go alone to tori or B. settle for the pieetasters whom i will get a chance to ssee again in the near future? sorry that this int related to TMBG but tmbg fans are usually have very good judgement peace, love, and understanding] -kenny ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 05:10:29 -0400 Subject: YFF?, Shtuff, Balls-on review Hello 41- I know that a lot of other bands that many TMBG fans are mentioned here, but what about the fine muzak of the Young Fresh Fellows. I don't find them as good musically as TMBG, but lyrically, watch out... WDHYF- I find the older version of this, so much better. Just wanted to add to something. SPIKES- Have someone do it to you while laying upside down, it really helps. ALBUMS- 1. Self-Titled 2. A18 3. MiscT 4 Factory 5 Lincoln 6 John Henry 7 Flood I got this in an online 'zine that I get sent to me. It's pretty allright. REVIEW: They Might Be Giants, _Factory Showroom_ (Elektra) - Carol Hamer As much as I enjoyed this album, I have to admit that, compared to other They Might Be Giants discs, _Factory Showroom_ does not have the same range. They Might Be Giants have long been known for producing sounds that are unusual and experimental, and we certainly see some of this in _Factory Showroom_. For example, they play with funk and disco styles to produce "S-E-X-X-Y", which is a bit different from the usual fare. I also can't picture many other bands going down to Edison Laboratories to record a song on the historical equipment, as They Might Be Giants did for the song "I Can Hear You." Still, with a mere 13 songs, _Factory Showroom_ is about 70% as long as a typical They Might Be Giants album, and seems to contain about 70% as much material that is really fresh and new as you would normally expect to find in a They Might Be Giants album. Some highlights of _Factory Showroom_ include "James K. Polk," which is a favorite from their live shows and first saw the light of day as a B-side; "Metal Detector" and "Spiraling Shape," which are some fun new products of They Might Be Giants' amusingly unique style; and "XTC vs. Adam Ant," a song that is about competing music styles, but which is difficult to identify as belonging to a particular musical genre itself. Still, in all, the album could have stood to contain more surprises. Possibly John Flansburgh's sideline album, _Mono Puff_, proved to be too much of a distraction. Indeed, if you were to take the best five songs from _Mono Puff_ and add them to _Factory Showroom_, you would have a really good album - definitely up to They Might Be Giants usual high standard. The obvious solution for fans of TMBG is to buy both albums and tape them together. If you're not familiar with They Might Be Giants, however, I would recommend starting with one of their other albums. The in(sp) Nit ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 03:15:02 -0400 From: MajorDomo Subject: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:47:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Factory Showroom, 5 best, and other stuff. Hi, I'm Deanna, I post to the list every now and then when I feel like it. Right now I feel like it because I'm pulling my second all-nighter in the past week and am still procrastinating (and still haven't taken Factory Showroom out of my CD player since I bought it). 'Nuff on the intro. Second comment: I'm from Philly but have spent barely any time there in the past few years due to being out at CMU - where is this Electric Factory place that people keep talking of? I don't remember it from the good ol' days when all the shows I went to were at the Troc/TLA/Tower.. so I'm kinda curious. I was going to roadtrip to the show with some other people (Hi Lawrence), but that never worked out. oh well. I'd like to trade for a copy of the Philly show if anyone got a decent one - send me email and I'll give you a list of the stuff I've got. I'd like to now comment on Factory Showroom. I haven't read *all* of what's been posted since it was released, but I've read enough to get the gist of what most people feel towards it. IMHO (and I've been a TMBG fan for around six years and around the mailing list since it was run by Micah), They haven't sold out in the slightest. I rather like Factory Showroom - though I feel a bit like I'm workshopping when I comment on it, it's seriously a very well put together piece. I've posted this argument before, but I'll repost it, since this album lends even more. (I also hope nobody's posted something to this effect recently and I just haven't read it - boy will I feel silly then. :) Think of it this way. TMBG learned something new with every release they've made - at least that's the way I've felt. The demo tape is choppy, but at least by the time the pink album came out they fixed up the songs enough to sound decent enough on CD. Lincoln is a masterpiece in my mind; the songs were slightly more cleaned up and professional-sounding, and they actually tried more real musical techniques in addition to having quirky lyrics. It feels more like a real album, with no filler songs and such. It also starts a few ongoing jokes (I tend to connect things.. like Cowtown and Cabbagetown, Snowball in Hell and Sleeping in the Flowers, like a few other people out there do.. I almost thought a saga started with They'll Need a Crane, which continued into Lucky Ball and Chain, which poured into Narrow Your Eyes, then was perspectized in Unrelated Thing, and now you get thrown back into his perspective in Pet Name.. call me weird, it's almost like several revisions of the same poem.) and such. Next there's Flood, which I think is where they learned one thing but majorly screwed up another. I mean, sure, it's *very* polished and very "Hi, we're THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS and we're REALLY COOL", which they deserved to do, and which they did well, but unfortunately, the album goes on WAY too long, as others have said. I guess if they were trying to get something across with the whole idea of being "Flooded", it's fine, but.. most of the last 8 or 9 songs on the album could have been condensed into one song without losing anything. geez. Anyway.. Apollo came out and they did the whole Fingertips thing, which was a neat idea, taking advantage of technology and such. They also brought in the band on that tour, and Syd Straw, and that's when they first started establishing themselves more as musicians in general rather than "those damn guys with the accordion who sung Istanbul". I don't really like the album Apollo 18 all that much, but the shows on that tour were some of the most memorable concerts I've ever been to in my life. Especially helping Greg give out the Shpi-dahh! shirt fliers and such, and that whole scandal.. but that's another story. :) Anyway.. so TMBG said, "Hey, we've got this band, let's do something with them," and the result was John Henry. And dammit, I think it's an awesome album. They learned how to polish an album, how to write complicated musical pieces for a full band, how to write quirky lyrics such that they didn't detract entirely from the musical qualities of their songs, how to experiment with many forms of music but still give it their own flavor.. I just felt a great coming-together on that album, so to speak. And that continued into Factory Showroom, which has all the qualities of JH in my opinion, plus being more concise and having a great plan of lineup in general. I love the way the album feels balanced.. S-E-X-X-Y is a great opening song (not counting the Token Back to Brooklyn), but then Till My Head reminds you that they're TMBG, in their inimitable style, then How Can I Sing sort of rambles a bit, but then they pick up with Exquisite Dead Guy and Metal Detector, and while you're in a goofy sappy mood they throw in NYC, but then sort of calm down for Your Own Worst Enemy, and then jump up again with XTC vs. Adam Ant, and then Spiralling Shape just comes in at the best time.. I still love that song, I've loved it since I first heard it on the BC soundtrack, and I think it works great on this album where it is. I also don't think the new James K. Polk is that much better than the original, but it sort of fits where it is, and then Pet Name says "Hi, did we mention that we like to experiment with different styles of music?" to you again, while I Can Hear You just sort of calms down again and almost draws you in, makes you listen because of the way it was recorded.. and then Bells are Ringing sums up the entire album into a very nice vocal and musical orchestration. God. I just love the way the album has its nice ups and downs, so to speak. The only time where I feel it kinda hangs is during "How Can I Sing Like a Girl", which does kinda go on for pretty long. Sort of like this past paragraph did. I wonder if anyone actually bothered to read the entire thing. So anyway, to sum up, I like Factory Showroom a lot, and for those on the list who actually know who I am and such, you know I wouldn't just yell out "I love this album!" without having a good reason to. Really, TMBG have progressed a lot musically, and I admire the hell out of them for it. I don't know how anyone can say they're selling out. Geez. If you want sellouts, listen to REM. (Yay, religious music flamewars. Abandon all hope, ye who read that last sentence.) Oh, and my top and bottom TMBG songs at this point: Top: NYC Sensurround It's Not My Birthday They'll Need a Crane The End of the Tour She Was a Hotel Detective (new) Turn Around Youth Culture She's an Angel Maybe I Know (okay, not a real TMBG song but I love them singing it.) Whirlpool (same comment.) Bottom: Rabid Child Minimum, Letterbox, Hot Cha, Women&Men, Sapphire, Road Movie (it's a suite of unnecessary songs in my opinion) extra savoir-faire Biggest One hmm.. can't think of any more that i don't like in particular. :) Anyway, um, I guess I'll go back to lurking now. Hoping TMBG decides to come back to Pittsburgh eventually or Philly while I'm at home again, *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 06:37:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Factory Showroom in Canada On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Mike Rose, from Totonot wrote: > Well for those of you in Canada, Factory Showroom has been > released, I got mine yesterday at Sunrise in Toronto for $14.99. It was > one dollar more at HMV and five dollars more at Sam's. I hope that > wherever you are in this country you can find it, and reasonably priced. > Good luck. But, alas, no single yet. Still lookin'. At least we got Sunrise to display FS prominently, as it should be. And, yes, I am finally listening to it now. As if I'd play Spookey first... And, yes, I am liking it. I will not, however, rank it amoung the other albums here because... a: I'm sure it'll start some huge thread that I'd only regret starting. b: It's 6:40am, I just got off work, and I really don't want to. c: I honestly have never bothered to rank 'em in the first place. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net (AKA: that overworked guy) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:11:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Factory Showroom, 5 best, and other stuff. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Oct-96 Factory Showroom, 5 best, a.. by Deanna Rubin@CMU.EDU > full band, how to write quirky lyrics such that they didn't detract You used the "Q-word." They would not approve. :) >Minimum, Letterbox, Hot Cha, Women&Men, Sapphire, Road Movie (it's a >suite of unnecessary songs in my opinion) Hmmmmm... I like the way Whistling in the Dark and They Might Be Giants were subtly removed from that list... but what's wrong with Letterbox? It's kind of OK. Not one of their best, but not nearly as useless as Sapphire Bullets... > all-nighter in the past week and am still procrastinating (and still > haven't taken Factory Showroom out of my CD player since I bought it). Have any of us? OK, so I took out my roommate's copy and put in mine... oh yeah, and that one hour block where I transferred TMBG Live in NY to tape. :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:15:33 -0400 (EDT) From: connie tsang Subject: The pumpernickel flies at midnight Well friends, I am proud proud proud proud proud to announce that your little buddies up here in Canada town have FINALLY received Factory Showroom... and I know all of you have had it for a while, but hell, this is a happy time for me right now, and it makes me want to scream the word "butter", and well... well... I'm just impressed. And now that I have that little rambling over with, is there anyone out there who's interested in telling me what songs Flansburgh and Linnell have written each? I know, I know, there are a zillion songs out there, but even if you named a handful, I'd be appreciative. Duh. Is that a word? Duh. And another thing -- a grandiose HELLLLLLO goes out to that kdsinthehall character I keep seeing on this list!!! Fellow fan, I worship you. I have tales to share with you, m'dear! Please get it touch! And what's this with the Moxy Fruvous craze??? My god, it seems as if they tour the States more than they do in Canada... they probably sell more albums there too. Frankly, I didn't really get into them too much after "King of Spain" was played over... and over... and over... and over... But enough about me grumbling. It's time to do the dance of kookenhagen! (P.S. anyone into Jonathan Richman here???) So, y'all take care! Conchita bonanza poptart T * "i'm your only friend * * M i'm not your only friend T B * but i'm a little glowing friend * M G * but really i'm not actually * B * your friend, but i am..." * G ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:23:19 -0400 (EDT) From: connie tsang Subject: Toronto superstars I have an announcement to make everyone. This Mike character from Toronto that you keep seeing around???? He's a superstar filmmaker. And that Mr. Klaw guy... well, he's just a superstar! You're dealing with the majors, here, kids! This ain't no shite channel!!! Pssssssst: Mike! Alex! Whaddyathink of FS???? Did you guys take all the copies from HMV or something when you came downtown yesterday??? Frig, there was only one bloody copy left! Blasphemy! And I couldn't find it at Tower or Sam's. Bloody 'ell. T * "i'm your only friend * * M i'm not your only friend T B * but i'm a little glowing friend * M G * but really i'm not actually * B * your friend, but i am..." * G ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:33:20 -0400 (EDT) From: connie tsang Subject: 5 WORST BLAH SONGS All right, you guys have reeled me into this damned list craze... here we go: 1. Minimum Wage 2. Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love 3. Cowtown 4. Extra Savoir Faire 5. Snail Shell And that's my two cents worth, baby!!!! T * "i'm your only friend * * M i'm not your only friend T B * but i'm a little glowing friend * M G * but really i'm not actually * B * your friend, but i am..." * G ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:19:17 -0400 (EDT) From: "e.kaO" Subject: top 5 etc For whomever may be stillcounting, here's my top 5: 2. its not my Birthday - god I hate my birthdays. this song nowreminds me of this summer: the flooding, the work, my tmbg convertee who coincidentally would walk her own walk, me, who would've stopped the rain if I wanted to. I didn't realise the appropriateness of this song until late summer so I never gotmy friend to hear this song, and even though she said she'd make it to Taste of DC, I doubt she did but I guess I'll ask 4. Mrs. Train - I just like this one. The train speeds along withorwithout the narrator... 3. Puppethead. 5. The Day. 3.5. MetalDetector - "but underneath every shell ther's a story if you've heard enoughofthe sea. then everything on top will just suddenlystop seeming interesting." Ilike that alot. Thisis my favorite from fs so far 1. ana ng- the first tmbg song I heard. I never knew the name of it until I got lincoln on tape, and coincidentally, the whole thing was backwards, like the backwards and broken record. i love ana ng :) anyway, Idid make it to both shows at Philly and DC. There were no surprises at all fromthe setlists but personally all I know is that while there I was pretty happy (usually unfamiliar territoty for me). I met a very wonderful Matt James there. Hello! I wanted to hug him but I was afraid and too shy to. Hello too to Cortney! Well all in all though the resonable part ofme doesn't know if it was worth it. As a result I am now failing classes and have a crack in my windshield. But no,I think it was worth it :) ek ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Road movie Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:20:09 -0400 (EDT) In regards to Deanna's message about Flood, I must say that I love Road Move to Berlin and if not anything else, it is a great ending to Flood...it just was meant to be there at the end. Also, I've had Your Own Worst Enemy in my head all morning! jeez I do love that song a lot now. And my ears have stopped ringing finally, they rang from Sunday at the Philly concert until Tuesday night, way after the Dc concert on Monday. Boy was that annoying. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:41:24 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Top Five, Low Five, and Album Order Five Most Liked Songs: 1. She Was A Hotel Detective (Back To Skull) 2. O, Do Not Forsake Me (John Henry) 3. Kiss Me, Son Of God (Lincoln) 4. She's An Angel (PINK Album) 5. Pencil Rain (PINK Album) Special Mentions: Istanbul (Not Constantinople-Flood) I Palandrome I For Science Mrs. Train Five Least Enjoyed Songs: 1. Narrow Your Eyes (Apollo 18) 2. Road Movie To Berlin (Flood) 2.5 Snail Dust from Back to Skull would displace RMTB but I don't consider it a TMBG song. 3. The Day (PINK Album [I Think]) 4. Out Of Jail (John Henry) 5. See The Constellation (Apollo 18) Prefered Album Order: 1. Lincoln 2. Apollo 18 3. John Henry 4. PINK Album 4.5 Misc. T (Can it really be considered in the Album section?) 5. Flood I have yet to hear Factory Showroom, so I don't know where it goes. ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:53:28 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: They Might Be Punk... > "Stomp Box" sounds just like "Dig My Grave" to me. Another one of their > takes on punk rock, really. They have covered so many genres (Country, > Jazz, Blues, Folk, Funk, even techno-rave (see the "Guitar" remixes if > you don't believe me...I had the rave DJ at my radio station play it once > and he loved it, even played it again another week)) that it only seems > appropriate that They Might Be Punk now and again... I agree, they (DMG and SB) are very similar. They are even in the same key. I once made a mix tape (Which I rule at, by the way) putting those to songs in back to back sequence. It sounds like they just stopped playing for a second, then went into another verse. -Matthew Ondrey "The Bells Are Ringing" - ThEy MiGhT bE gIaNtS "What Else Would They Do?" - My Brother, Mark boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm or check out my bootlegs: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: DarkKnigtX@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:43:39 -0400 Subject: Re Bottom 5 TMBG Songs spud@tmbg.org wrote >Bottom 5 >Spider >Youth Culture Killed My Dog >Purple Toupe >Worlds Address >Toddler Hiway Sorry, but I DISAGREE completely with this list, excepting Toddler hiway... Spider is a look into TMBG weirdness, and the other three are just plain cool kick a** songs! DarkKnight ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: Linnell's solo projects!!!!! Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:01:30 GMT Hello, I desperately want a copy of State Songs and House of Mayors. CAN anyone please help me get a copy of these. I don't want to subscribe to HELLO just to get these two ep's. So if anyone would be willing to get these for me at a record store or even make me a copy, I would appreciate it greatly. I will send you money to compensate for it or some blank tapes. So, if anyone could help please let me know. My email address is Joey@scott.net. Joey "First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me..... BLOW!!!" -- Ash Bruce Campbell is the greatest actor. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:54:02 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: the fab five Ok ok I've decided to break down and put my top five.... in no particular order because I can't say "I like this one the best" or so forth.... "Alienation for the rich" - This song just wells up inside me sometimes. For some reason I find myself singing it a lot. "No One Knows My Plan" - GREAT! Good on CD, Good in concert. "She was a hotel detective" off the snail shell single - I like that it builds off of its predescesor and oh that falsetto! "Whistling in the dark" - a classic sing along to song. "Ana ng" - The first They song I ever heard. Still one of the best. It rocks! Actually most of TMBG's songs just make you want to sing along. Especially Flood. Why? pezman Interesting Note - On the day Factory Showroom was released my school had a bomb threat - the first one in 12 years. Coincidence? I'll let you decide. ------------------------------ From: DarkKnigtX@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:09:01 -0400 Subject: TMBG and Beatles Is it just me, or does part of "I can hear you" sound like the Beatles "A Day In the Life"? I'm pretty sure it does... Or maybe I'm just going insane. btw... Where can I get a copy of "I am not your broom"? I haven't heard of it on any of their CDs! DarkKnight ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:46:43 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Now for something you'll really enjoy... On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > In the tradition of Tracy (gosh I miss her)... > > Top Ten Signs You've Been Listening to Too Much TMBG and BlueDawg's collorary to them > 10. You think the Lincoln Memorial is located in Cowtown and is all about > Purple Toupees. And Brooklyn is heaven. > 9. When you listen to anything else you get angry when you can't figure > out which John sings it. and start wondering when this kewl band Smashing Pumpkins are going to open for them. > 8. You carry a broom with you everywhere. In addition to your towel, and a cup of coffee. > 7. All of your shirts are covered with sloppy designs and quotes. and your closet begins to mysteriously fill with Flansnnel > 6. You demand that pencils are not made in factories, but come in the > rain. > 5. Your best discussions are had with mirrors and iron bars. > 4. When asked whether free speech should be allowed, you beat people up. > 3. After your girlfriend/boyfriend asked you if you loved them, you went > out to look for saphire bullets. > 2. Your two children are named They and Might. no, John Sidney and John Conant > 1. You actually think Factory Showroom is brilliant. can't argue with this one. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:06:11 -0700 From: rocket88@ix.netcom.com (Kathleen Jo Faulconer) Subject: Re: TMBG and Beatles You wrote: > >Is it just me, or does part of "I can hear you" sound like the Beatles "A Day >In the Life"? >I'm pretty sure it does... Or maybe I'm just going insane. > DarkKnight > YES! IT DOES! You are NOT going insane. At least not about this... I am a looooooong time Beatle fan (from 1964 on) and I said the same thing when I heard it. In fact I think quite a bit of FS has Beatle overtones. How Can I Sing Like A Girl is very late (maybe as late as Free as a Bird!) Beatles musically, to me anyway. I was going to post this idea but I thought you kiddies might just say HUH? WHO? No seriously, I am very impressed by the musical knowledge you guys have. I have always thought TMBG had many simularity to the Fab Four in Their fearless experimentation, 2 song writers with different styles and directions, happy little dittys with morose lyrics (my favorite songs by both bands) and so on........ AND I remember worrying about what the HELL they were turning into around the time of Revolver even though some of my favorite songs are on this album! Sound familiar? It just goes to show you that TMBG are most likley "genius" quality without the screaming girls. I hope John F. didn't marry a girl named Yoko....................... Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:15:02 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG says, "hello". !! Hey you! So everyone might know this already.. but! Mark your calanders for November 7! (3 days after my birthday.. O;) ) TMBG wants to chat with YOU! http://www.sonicnet.com wowie zow!!! Heather "I will always rock with TMBG. I look forward to being so old that at the gigs no one will expect me to stand up." -Flans ------------------------------ Subject: RE: that whistle in Spiraling Shape From: muad.dib@juno.com (David C Eckblad) Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:15:25 EDT Ok, ya guys and gals. We've had that debate over where the "whistlling in SS is. some think it's at 3:05 and some think its at 3:20. Well. It's both!!! at 3:05 in the song, there is a sound which is like a siren but i belive it is just the xylophone. The other whistle (if any) can be heard around 3:19 as a 1/2 second whistle that starts low and goes up in pitch (almost like a slide whistle) Ii really only think the whistle at 3:20 is really just a freak accident, maby just the sound of the strings of a guitar during a chord change, somthing dumb like that. ------------------------------ Subject: RE:RE:Stomp Box Why? From: muad.dib@juno.com (David C Eckblad) Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:15:25 EDT >>Now, back to TMBG, how come I havn't seen anything about the new record >>that came out today??? And also, what about TMBG touring with Hootie >>(who blows) as the opening band??? > > Er, new album came out *last* week. > >Kirsten Sorry, 'bout the date mix-up. My friends knew I was a TMBG freak and to piss me off, told me the record was coming out on the 15th. I never took the time to verify that. Oh well, I guess it's time to rip testicles. Was ther another single coming out then????? Damn i'm lost. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: I GOTTA BUST HEADS WITH YOU GUYS HERE!!!!!!! From: muad.dib@juno.com (David C Eckblad) Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:15:25 EDT On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:21:20 -0500 "//R@sCaL\\\\" writes: >//R@sCaL\\ says: > Man me and a lot of people disagree about which TMBG songs >suck cause >personally I think that John Henry is not as bad as y'all are making >it. >Sure there was way too much distortion and too alternative but the >album >went so well together. Plus such cool songs as "End of the Tour", >"Spy","Meet James Ensor" & "I should be allowed to think" > TOP 5 TMBG Songs according to ME > -------------------------------- > 1) "She's an Angel">Self expalnitory > 1&1/2) "Fingertips">am I the only one > who likes this song? > 2) "Whistling in the Dark">TMBG lyrics 4 U! > 3) "End of the Tour">"'I was bent metal you >were a flaming >wreck.' > 4) "Its not my Birthday">Just fun & cool > 4&1/2) "Spiraling Shape"> a treasure off of FS > 5) "Ana Ng">I just luv it > > TMBG ALBUMS IN ORDER OF COOLNESS!!! >1)MISC T> Flood introduced me & this one got me hooked! >2)Flood> Its the shallow end of the pool before you go to the Deep End >3)The Pink> 3 words "She's An Angel" >4)FS> Great new work! >5)Apollo 18> I liked it took me a while to get used to it >6)John Henry>Too MUCH DIST >7)LINCOLN> Great album don't get me wrong I just like the others >better > Oh well that's just my opinion! > Wy don't ya all just stop figting over which song are best???? Just declare what you like but there's no reason to have to back up your ideas. Anyone can like any song they like, no one has the same tast for music. SO THERE!! thats my 4 pesos. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Top 5 songs Date: Wed, 16 Oct 96 13:34:23 18000 Well, this has been done repeatedly (the survey) but here goes my new and improved answers. 5. Exquisite Dead Guy 4. Become A Robot 3. She's An Angel 2. Ana Ng And the unprecedented or undefeated or un-something number one of ALL Time is: 1. God Damn Birdhouse in Your Soul Now there's a good TMBG song. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: RE: that whistle in Spiraling Shape Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:37:09 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: > Ok, ya guys and gals. We've had that debate over where the "whistlling > in SS is. some think it's at 3:05 and some think its at 3:20. Well. > It's both!!! at 3:05 in the song, there is a sound which is like a > siren but i belive it is just the xylophone. The other whistle (if any) > can be heard around 3:19 as a 1/2 second whistle that starts low and goes > up in pitch (almost like a slide whistle) Ii really only think the > whistle at 3:20 is really just a freak accident, maby just the sound of > the strings of a guitar during a chord change, somthing dumb like that. This wouldn't be the sound of the truck backing up would it? I don't have the CD here, so I can't check 3:20 and 3:05 into the song. I will this evening, though. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: 16 Oct 1996 11:18:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: Otis Ball Organization: puppet head On 16.10.96, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > This would be TMBG on background vocals on Walk on Water. I don't like the > song too much. The only connection I know between TMBG and Otis Ball is he > went on tour with them once. Otis used to sell t-shirts for them. _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:50:37 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-283 Regarding the flack (I knew I'd get) about FS: I wrote most of that whole review thing after about 5 hours of sleep. And shortly after I got up. I checked the whole thing over, and though most of the opinions are, er, choppy, I still gotta say that the order I put them in is still the order in which I like them. One more thing: if ever some says something on here that's not totally happy and devotionary to the band, deal with it. My intent isn't to piss people off (what's the point?) but unpopular opinions, if folks have 'em, shouldn't be trounced on by those who disagree. (Though They say, "People should get beat up for statin' their beliefs," I don't think they meant it. :-) ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:59:12 -0600 (CST) Subject: Top 5 Okay, I feel the need to add my two cents (or five) to the top five songs. For what they are worth, here they are. 5. I Palindrome I -I love palindromes 4. Ana Ng -The sound of the drums gets to me 3. Istambul, Not Constantinople -I'm a violinist, it is really cool 2. Spiraling Shape -Cerebral, yet playful 1. The Statue Got Me High -It just strikes a chord, you know Here they are, feel free to disagree. I enjoy friction. "The Stone It Calls to Me" -TMBG Mike P. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:24:49 -0500 From: kelly marks Subject: SOngs I LoVE and Love to Hate OK. For days and days and days I've sat here, reading the lists and dreading this moment. This very instant I sit here determined to pick my top five and sure,why not, bottom five TMBG songs... Oh the torture, torture, torture. Here we go: Top: 5. Narrow Your Eyes 4. Ana-Ng 3. They'll Need A Crane 2. The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon 1. Don't Let's Start 0. (Remember 0 is a number) Sleeping in the Flowers Ouch. I've hurt myself. Bottom: 5. O Do Not Forsake Me 4. The Pencil Rain 3. Sapphire Bullets 2. Purple Toupee 1. The Biggest One OK, done. Phewwww. Oh and my two favorite albums are Apollo 18 (You can say all the bad things you want about it, but gosh darn it, it changed my life and opened my little preteen eyes and just made me dance) and the other was Lincoln until it lodged itself permenantly into my car's tape player, never to re-emerge from its happy home. I've asked once before, but are there any fellow listers in the immediate Raleigh, NC area? If so, e-mail me... it's fun! I'd add my two cents, but I haven't any change...However, you could have my free Starbucks coupon which has a monetary value of 1/20 of a cent:) Kelly, who has no cool sig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:30:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: my top & bottom 5 Here are my top 5 songs: 1.They'll Need a Crane 2.No One Knows My Plan 3.Welcome to the Jungle 4.Mr. Me 5.You'll Miss Me (wow, that was hard to narrow it down to 5!) Here are my bottom 5 songs: 1.The Guitar (ANY mix) 2.Lady is a Tramp 3.Chess Piece Face 4.Mrs. Train 5.Theme from Flood (wow, that was hard to think of 5 I don't like!) -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:56:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Similarities in songs (was Re: They Might Be Punk...) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Oct-96 Re: They Might Be Punk... by Lawrence P Solomon@andre > No. Stomp Box and Dig My Grave are distinct. The chord progressions > are, in fact, different: > > Stomp Box: Am F D G ("stomp box speak...") > C G C G ("shout, shout, shout, shout...") > Horns/Organ in bridge > > Dig: A C G D ("dig my grave...") > B B B B ("every time...") > Guitar solo in bridge > > > They do, however, have similar rhythms, and similar guitar styles, which > is what a lot of people seem to think about. But Stomp Box is much more > complex instrumentally, and is also played at a slightly slower tempo > than Dig My Grave. I'd just like to say I like Stomp Box much more than Dig My Grave simply because of the brass. I'm a little biased, having played the trumpet for about 8 years, but I really like the sound of pretty much all brass instraments. > > If you're looking for songs that sound similar, try: [some songs w/ similar cords snipped] What about "Metal Detector" and the State Song "South Carolina"? I haven't given the two a good comparison yet but I suspect there's more than a few musical similarities between the two becuase after I first got FS, every time I tried to remember Metal Detector, I ended up singing South Carolina. Of course, it could just be that I'm a little funny in the head... -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:58:36 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: top5/ bottom 5 I guess that I will bow to peer pressure and name my top 5/ bottom 5 songs. First of all, the best songs (there are just too many awesome songs to choose from!!) 1. Sleeping in the Flowers--my all time fav song. 2.Purple Toupee--first TMBG song I ever heard 3. Nothing's Gonna Change My CLothes 4. She's an Angel 5. AKA driver Bottom 5: 1. Extra Savoir-Faire 2. O Do Not Forsake Me 3. Space Suit 4. Cabbagetown 5. For Science Well, that's it! Tucker ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:02:41 -0400 Subject: "blue" flaws and such... (whoo haha! the clash is on the radio! "overpowered by funk". I love this cd..) >>44 .That Freaky-looking girl on the John Henry cover has on a blue skirt.<< Ah, but what colour is her shirt? ;) Yes, I am being a smartass, but c'mon, you were asking for it! :) >> 68. Doctors wear blue in the operating room.<< Only when they're not wearing green or white. Oh, despite I'm pro-pink (p^4!), you forgot #101. "What's that blue thing doing here?" My dad has this jazz-schmazz cd that had a clear pink cd case thing, so I replaced it with my PINK album's black one, so now it's really pink. Okay. I know this isn't TMBG but I know there's lots of Weird Al fans here, sooo...Does anyone wanna buy my Weird Al cd? I don't want it anymore. It's "Weird Al in 3-D." I'll consider all offers of cash, trades, whatever. Just email me if you want it. :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:12:52 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Musical tastes I've noticed that you all have varied musical tastes on theis list (as shown by everyone's responses to Top 5 TMBG Songs.) TMBG have a wide variety of musical styles they play... So (And I hate to use this overused ... oh well...) If you were on a desert island and you could take any stereo equipement you wanted as well as 5 (the magic number) of your favorite Albums by any band. I'll start: (No particular order) The Wall - Pink Floyd (An excellent album IMO, possible the only good one from Pink Floyd) Lincoln - They Might Be Giants (The best TMBG album. Lots of great songs.) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles (I listen to this one as much as newer CDs I get. Never get tired of it.) Star Wars Sountrack (Good music, good movie. 'Nuf said) George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris (This is not really an album... but you can probably find something simmilar in the $1.99 crate at your local record store.) (NOTE: The Preceding has not been limited to rock and/or roll. If you were on a desert island would you want to 'rock around the clock'?) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:08:43 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: Alice meets Madness Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > 8. XTC vs. Adam Ant - Exactly a good example of what Madness would sound > like if Alice Cooper was in their band, this is not a good thing. Rock > on Flansburgh. Rating: Total Crap > Well, I like the song and the album. It's not one of Their best, but it's still good. Anyways, what's wrong with this song, Madness, or Alice Cooper. I seem to remember a song about Alice on JH. Hmm... Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:35:23 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: Philly show To the people that taped the Philly show--please email me b/c I want a copy!! I NEED a copy of the show! Thanks! Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:34:11 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: Philly show Hey Guys! I just have to say that the Philly show rocked! I was a bit nervous that I wouldn't make it in time, but everything turned out to be okay. My friend that was going with us didn't arrive at the house until 9:15, about 45 minutes after we wanted to leave! I started freaking out b/c we didn't get to the show until around 10-10:15. After getting inside, I realized that there was an openingn band (people said that there wasn't going to be one, so that's why I almost died!). There was a long wait until They came out--kind of annoying! Once they started to play though, I was in heaven! I think that someone on the list already went over everything that happened, so I won't go over it again. I was very disappointed that they played from JH, FS, and Flood (mostly). Spy was AWESOME!! I really liked "Stayin' Alive too"! I didn't get to meet any listers, :(, but I had a great time. There was this psycho guy right next to me during the concert--he was really strange!! He was about 6'7", brown curly, long, disgusting hair, had on a black leather jacket, balck jeans, etc. He was jsut bouncing along, not really knowing the words, or the beats of the songs. It was hilarous to watch him during I(NC). He did the stupidest dance--kind of funny. This concert was better than the last show, but I felt that J and J looked really bored while moving the puppets. Just a thought. But, overall, I really liked the show. Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:24:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: Bottom Five: Because I Just Don't Care On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > Here you go, after mulling through 20 or so sleepy eyed messages I shall > post... > > Just to make myself feel special, there is no particular order > and um, remixes don't count or they would take up the entire list: > > Unrelated Thing > XTC vs. Adam Ant > Until My Head Falls Off > Saphire Bullets > New York Shitty > > The person who can find the pattern wins a prize. Try to guess > my least favourite albums and you also win a prize... > If you think that this makes me an untrue fan of the band you > should ask yourself if you've been here as long as me and if you have a > very large TMBG website and if you spent $30 on a promo Istanbul 12"... > It doesn't matter... > > =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= And you may ask yourself, is this my beautiful promo record? Same as it ever was. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:44:35 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: Me too. KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >Next cover- For some reason, I can also see TMBG doing an > >incredible cover of Brickhouse. Don't ask me why... > I've always thought the Doors' "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)" would make a great > TMBG song. Yeah, I think so too. Though I feel that a cover of Dead Milkmen would be interesting as a friend of mine stated that Dead Milkmen sounded like TMBG on crack. Also, why is everyone so down on XTC vs. Adam Ant? As you can read from a previous post, I like the song. Any song that says Adam Ant in it immediatly has a certain degree of coolness, but this is a cool song. I can state that because I am listening to it as I write(well, when I started writing anyway). Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:47:34 -0500 From: "//R@sCaL\\\\" Subject: MAN NOBODY ELSE LIKES MY STUFF!!!! The //R@sCaL\\ says: Guys ya'll are trying to hard to figure out every single TMBG when you can't simply because y'all aren't them. For example STOMP BOX is known only to those who play guitar, by the way it doesn't suck if you understand the message. But I have to say that Misc T wuz a great album and would be my absolute favorite if it weren't for track 13. And John Henry wasn't as bad as everybody seems to say it is. OH well not everybody can be happy; "You can't shake the Devil's Hand and say you're only kidding" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:18:03 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: D'oh! Arggghhh! The sonicnet chat thing is on the day I leave for BOA (Bands Of America, marching band competition) Nationals. Oh well, you all probably don't care anyhow. (Who else on the list is in a marching band or otherwise musically inclined?) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:25:07 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Prejusticed People I notice when going through the top five and bottom five song lists for about the umpteenth time, that this pattern follows: Top songs: 5. Flansburgh Song 4. Linnell Song 3. Linnell Song 2. Linnell Song 1. Linnell Song Bottom songs: 5. Linnell Song 4. Flansburgh Song 3. Flansburgh Song 2. Flansburgh Song 1. Flansburgh Song. Why is this? S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:51:42 -0400 Subject: faves and such.. Well, I've buffed up my fave list if you will, and narrowed my eyes down to only 5. It was tough. Very tough. And I won't even list the honourable mentions. Here goes... FAVE: 5. Don't Let's Start ('85 Demo tape version) - A nice alternative to the repetitive, somewhat redundant original. 4. Dinner Bell - I love the never ending stream of lyrics in this song! And I know 'em all by heart too. :) 3. She Was A Hotel Detective - Man, what a cool song. I love the bass, and the falsetto. It's an excellent song to listen to in the car at night. 2. She's An Angel - The Johns are the only musicians I know of who can make even a love song cool. I love the -- how do I describe it -- ascending and decending notes too. I can just imagine John and his girl (hopefully me ) hand in hand (er..left arm), running down the sidewalk (20 thousand million times, of course). 1. Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head - Ooh. I thought this was one of the coolest songs on this cd when I got it. My love for it grew after i finally saw the video. It's so old-looking, I know, but..ya gotta love the shadows of Linnell with those big hands doing that dance!! The jumping part in the beginning is cute. And I love the part where Flans dumps his coffee, hehe. :) LEAST FAVE (everyone else seems to be doing it): 5. (She Was A) Hotel Detective 4. Spy 3. XTC Vs. Adam Ant 2. Hypnotist Of Ladies 1. The Day I just noticed the pattern. Look at who sings my fave songs, then who sings my least faves. Hmm. Now I feel a little bad. :*( ~sarah, who can't stop playing the first 2 seconds of Don't Let's Start over and over again... :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Oh, I feel like a fresh towel..drying on the line on a summer's day." - Scott Thompson (Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:37:52 -0500 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: Top 5, bottom 5 and fav albums As if any of you really give a damn... top 5: 5. Mrs. Train 4. Ana Ng 3. Don't Let's Start - A true classic! The single mix on Misc. T is better than the one on the pink album though. 2. No one knows my plan 1. We want a rock - This song always sounds just as good every time I hear it. bottom 5: 5.Hearing Aid 4.Hello Radio 3.You'll miss me 2.Chesspiece Face 1.Boat of car And now the really hard part; album rankings: 7. Pink/Blue Dog/Self Titled/Little Man in the bottom right hand corner album - This album is okay, but there are just too many songs that are just skipped over or barely tolerable. Let the flaming begin! 6. Misc. T - A great album, just not many spectacular new songs (except Hey Mr. DJ). 5. Flood - The first half is great, but the song quality diminishes by the second half. 4. Apollo 18 - Same as flood, just a little bit better. 3. Factory Showroom - All the songs are good, but just a few really outstanding ones. 2. John Henry - A lot of people hate this one, but I think that at least 15 of the songs are great, and the album is good and long, which means I don't have to change Cd's as often (I can't believe people actually complain about the fact that its long, you can't have too much of a good thing) 1. Lincoln - Is it illegal to like both John Henry and Lincoln? Tis one took the good parts of the pink album, and made almost an entire album of it. There you have it. I hope you've had a ton of fun reading this. -Jeff http://www.dragonfire.net/~Moogle/istanbul.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:41:39 -0400 From: jenn Subject: Curiousity about Favorite songs halo all, i have a quick question for everyone. how many of you find that the first TMBG song you heard is still one of your top five favorite songs? one of my top five favorites is still The Statue Got Me High which is the first song i heard and i when i was reading some of your lists, i found that a lot of you listed the first TMBG song you've heard as one of your favorites. jenn _____________________________________________________________________ jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter september@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Delphin7@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:39:29 -0400 Subject: Re: Musical tastes OK, this could be fun....and extremely difficult. So, in no particular order: A18 Carmina Burana Sundrops (a tape), by Jump, Little Children Under the Pink, by Tori Amos ok, so this is really, really hard... Bingham's Hole, by The Mommyheads I had to leave out so much, I guess it's lucky I'll prob'ly never get stuck on a desert island! ;) ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Prejusticed People Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:53:50 -0500 (CDT) > I notice when going through the top five and bottom five song lists for > about the umpteenth time, that this pattern follows: (etc)... Hrm... I was under the impression that we really didn't know who it was actually writing the songs.... I thought They generally did the "written by TMBG" line... Did I miss something in the FAQ or the website or whatever? Hrm... Something to check out... -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by EGGPLANT / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: that whistle in Spiraling Shape From: muad.dib@juno.com (David Eckblad) Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:05:51 EDT On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:37:09 -0400 (EDT) mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >Forwarded message: >> Ok, ya guys and gals. We've had that debate over where the >"whistlling >> in SS is. some think it's at 3:05 and some think its at 3:20. >Well. >> It's both!!! at 3:05 in the song, there is a sound which is like a >> siren but i belive it is just the xylophone. The other whistle (if >any) >> can be heard around 3:19 as a 1/2 second whistle that starts low and >goes >> up in pitch (almost like a slide whistle) Ii really only think the >> whistle at 3:20 is really just a freak accident, maby just the sound >of >> the strings of a guitar during a chord change, somthing dumb like >that. >This wouldn't be the sound of the truck backing up would it? I >don't have the CD here, so I can't check 3:20 and 3:05 into the song. >I will this evening, though. >Matt > >-- >------------------------------------------------------------------- >Matt James >polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu >Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America >"Cracking toast, Gromit!" >New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > No, No, quite not. it is two very disticly seperate tones beep boop beep boop (if you get the idea) On another note, i believe that I can Hear you is quite a good song. It's very funny creative song (right up there with particle man.) And don't say you don't love particle man. ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:58:05 -0400 Subject: Woah! I'm confused! Matt James wrote: >All in all both shows were excellent and I'm awaiting the >18th tmbg show at the Roseland in NYC. Wha? I'm more than a little confused. I was pretty sure TMBG was playing Nov 8th at Roseland. What happened? Two dates? I hope so, because otherwise Tickmaster sold me tickets to a Nov. 8th show that doesn't exist... - Dan -- Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 18:00:19 -0400 Subject: Why not. TMBG Favorites and Island picks. After all, if you don't want to read this, you can just not read it, right? Ten CDs I would cart with me to a far off island. (Sorry, I couldn't do five. It would have been impossible.) In no particular order: Screeching Weasel - Kill The Musicians cub - come out come out Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy Slant 6 - Soda Pop*Rip Off Girls Against Boys - Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby Rocket From The Crypt - All Systems Go Don Caballero - For Respect Durafle - Requiem TMBG - The Pink Album TMBG - Apollo 18 Almost, but not quite: Born Against - Patriotic Battle Hymns. My favorite 5 TMBG songs: (All except Puppet Head are subject to change at a moment's notice.) 1. Puppet Head Nightgown of the Sullen Moon They'll Need A Crane Narrow Your Eyes Rhythm Section Want Ad Adding my 2c to the TMBG defense fund. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 18:05:00 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG on Canadian radio Well, it's just after 6 PM now and I just found out that sometime between now and 8 PM on CFNY FM 102.1 in Toronto, there will be an interview with They Might Be Giants. I hope anyone within the listening radius gets this in time. Thanks. Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Don't ask why, just give in ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 18:22:14 +0000 Subject: Desert Island Discs Here's my list (in no order) 1) Upstairs at Eric's - Yaz 2) Jordan: The Comeback - Prefab Sprout 3) Lincoln - TMBG (duh) 4) Sensual World - Kate Bush The last one is hard, hmm... let me turn of FS (playing Metal Detector) I can't think. That's better... and... 5) The Golden Age of Wireless - Thomas Dolby =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ David Lapides david@specs-usa.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 18:20:59 -0400 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: Yet More 5 favs 5 least favs Five faves in no order (this will be hard...it usually depends on the day :) ) 1. She's an Angel (linnell) 2. Birdhouse in Your Soul (linnell) 3. Larger Than Life (flans) 4.Metal Detector (linnell) 5.They'll Need a Crane (linnell) Five least faves (this'll be hard too) 1. Lie Still, Little Bottle (flans) 2. Toddler Hiway (flans) 3. Narrow Your Eyes(flans) 4. Hearing Aid (flans) 5. Kiss Me, Son Of God (linnell) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:27:24 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Prejusticed People >Hrm... I was under the impression that we really didn't know who it was >actually writing the songs.... I thought They generally did the "written >by TMBG" line... Did I miss something in the FAQ or the website or whatever? We are working under the assumption here that the John who writes the song sings the song. Check the "Who Sings What" list for help with this. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:55:42 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Unrelated Thing Stefanie Elliott wrote: > I think they could have kicked "Unrelated Thing" off of the album (what >_were_ > they thining with this?) and it would have been perfect. Funny you should say that, because I kind of wondered the same thing... but I think I also know the answer. I first heard Unrelated Thing on a radio broadcast of a rock concert that featured many rock bands. TMBG mentioned that they were going to play a song They were still working on, and They played Unrelated Thing. At the time, it sounded cool, just a regular ballad without that goofy country twang-tone to it. Presented that way, it was the lyrics that stood out to me the most, and the lyrics were funny, to the effect of: a man asks a woman if her contemplative look meant she was thinking of him. 'Oh no,' the woman says, 'I was thinking of something unrelated.' It comes from nowhere, and makes the guy sound like a loser. In any case, I always thought it was funny. Then the version on JH comes out, and it's this depressing-sounding country-style thing. What was once a secret favorite song of mine became an unfavorite on the album. It was once a good idea, but the presentation was all wrong. Similarly, that's how I feel about John Henry. The Dial-A-Song tape had superior versions in _idea_ and _presentation_ of many of the JH songs. On JH, they were just all live-sounding guitar rock, which I can get from any number of bands out there. I go to TMBG to particularly escape from that kind of sound. BTW, this is my first post in a LONG while. Two years, actually. Factory Showroom came out (and I am loving it loving it loving it), and I had to return to this group. Hope to stick around. ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:06:36 -0500 (CDT) From: harris james andrew Subject: Least favorites...Stomp Box/Dig My Grave Never argue with a man who has guitar tabs. So the chord progressions are different, but you admitted, the rhythm sounds similar. I stand corrected. I still think "Stomp Box" and "Dig My Grave" sound alike, but I'm not a music major or anything, or a musician, I'm just a listener. Anyway...least favorite songs... Hide Away Folk Family. Sapphire Bullets. Snail Shell. Flame me if you want, but TMBG copying the drum riff of "Immigrant Song" by Zeppelin is a travesty. I was so depressed after hearing this song. The Day. Absolutely Bill's Mood. And my least favorite ever... World's Address remix. ICK! ICK! ICK! VOMIT! Bye Now, Jim ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: my top 5 and everything else... Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:06:27 -0700 My top 5 TMBG songs: 1. Ana ng 2. She's an angel 3. I Palindrome I 4. Birdhouse In Your Soul 5. Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet head My least 5 TMBG songs: 1. Hot Cha 2. The Day 3. The End of the Tour 4. A self called nowhere 5. Window (actually all of JH except about 5 or 6 songs can be put here) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 20:38:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Scott Rodas Subject: Otis Ball is OK by me! For anyone who cares: The Otis Ball record is a beautiful thing. There was a time that I was so obsessed with it, that it was the ONLY thing that I gave to anyone giftwise. (birthday: Otis Ball- graduation: Otis Ball- anniversary: Otis Ball- first holy communion...well, you get it). RUN- DON't WALK to get this great record. Incidently: Otis comes from Hoboken, and worked at a record store there, called Pier Platters. (Linnell told me.) I was so impressed with the album, that I had to call Otis at work to tell him so, and ask him when the followup was coming out- he said that it was in the can, but no labels were biting- (very sad). This was probably 5 years ago. I haven't heard from Otis since- how about you? Scott (skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us) Avalanche or Roadblock ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:48:46 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Get Away/Token Back to Brooklyn Cory Calhoun wrote a review of FS, on which he listed the song: > 6. Token Back to Brooklyn > What, you say, is this doing all the way in the top half? Here's why: > Classily quirky lyrics, obscure yet intriguing harmonization by the > Johns, and it doesn't let itself get long and overblown. What's not to > like? Does anyone know what They Might Be Giants officially called this song? This song was a Dial-A-Song and was included on the Dial-A-Song tape that this group contributed to a couple of years ago. On it, it was named "Get Away." This is because that version started out with Linnell deeply moaning "GET AWAY... GET AWAY..." before the song got moving with some s-p-o-o-k-y piano sounds. Then they start singing, in a slow, dream-like manner... Get Away is one of my absolute favorite songs from the Dial-A-Song tape and it is a wonderful delight to hear it as the secret song on Factory Showroom... complete with a bit of revised lyrics. Personally, I like (what I discerned to be) the old lyrics better ("...and claimed she killed our parents...") because it contributed more to the nightmare-like quality of the song. In any case, I prefer the name Get Away, but I'll call it whatever the Giants say it's called. Any official rulings? ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: sorry to confuse.. Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 20:54:35 -0400 (EDT) > Wha? I'm more than a little confused. I was pretty sure TMBG was playing Nov > 8th at Roseland. What happened? Two dates? I hope so, because otherwise > Tickmaster sold me tickets to a Nov. 8th show that doesn't exist... > - Dan > -- Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway > > Sorry for the confusion, this is my 18th SHOW which TAKES PLACE on the the 8th of November (Friday night). Matt Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:02:24 -0400 Subject: All around albums Hello 41- Well, I have several of these... TMBG- Pink Album Devo- New Traditionalists Young Fresh Fellows- The Men Who Loved Music The Residents- Meet The Residents Talking Heads- More Song About Buildings and Food Other two- Brian Dewan- Tells The Story Rollins- Get In The Van Adam ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: known writer of songs Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:10:57 -0400 (EDT) While we're on the subject of who wrote what, let's all say the songs we KNOW FOR SURE are written by one John or the other. (I hope I don't burn myself for stating a wrong one ;) Here goes: The Famous Polka--Linnell (Flans says so on a boot) Birdhouse in your Soul--Linnell How Can I Sing Like a Girl-Flansburgh Don't Let's Start--Linnell (Linnell says so on some video) Kiss Me, Son of God--Linnell (I saw a post that he wrote it) If I Wasn't Shy--Flansburgh (he said he wrote this under the influence of some substance) Metal Detector--Linnell Ok, anymore? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: A ton of stuff arragnged in sloppy grammar! Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 20:20:40 -0500 I always feel reluctant to post, and i dont know why.... so, now for a shot at it: First off, i was wondering if anyone thinks the ending of Your Own Worst Enemy sounds kinda dumb..... i like the rest of the song but i hate the held ENEMEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYEEYEEYYYYYEYYYYY! then a sudden stop. Reminds me of 5th grade music class... (THE TERRORR!) Also (i don't know if anyon posted the) XTC Vs. Adam Ant = Exticy Vs. Admant.... meaning... well, you probably know, i don't feel like it. Now this probably wasn't intended - but funny anyway. I REALLY WANT SOMETHING ELSE TO LISTEN TO! i have nothing unrealeased and no singles (THE MIDWEST SUCKS!!!!) so could someone copy any singles they have and could the person who taped the philly show e-mail me (I WANT IT)... i can provide tapes and SASE's The back of my social studies folder is chock full 'o they quotes and logos and when someone say it they said "What? uhhhhh...... The Giants? They Suck?" meaning the football team: most of the wisconsinite hicks can barely read and love football. I couldn't help but crack up. Also, anyone who has a ton of spare time at night, go to undernet #tmbg it usually has people there, and it's fun (and 75% of the people have ops) I have been thinking about it, and now for a shot: MY 5 FAV. SONGS!!!!!!!!! but putting them in order would make me loose my last piece of sanity remaining after attempting this Ana Ng Don't Lets Start The End Of The Tour hmmmmm..... Rythem section want ad OH YEAH!!!! My favs: Where your eyes dont go Purplee toupee Alright, thats 6, but i won't tell if you don't :) And worst ones: You'll miss me The Day Aleination's for the rich ummmm... thats all, the only ones i don't like THATS ALL I CAN THINK OF BUT I'M SURE THERES SOMETHING ELSE! 'till next time _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:39:05 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Prejusticed People At 05:25 PM 10/16/96 -0400, you wrote: >I notice when going through the top five and bottom five song lists for >about the umpteenth time, that this pattern follows: > >Top songs: > >5. Flansburgh Song >4. Linnell Song >3. Linnell Song >2. Linnell Song >1. Linnell Song > >Bottom songs: > >5. Linnell Song >4. Flansburgh Song >3. Flansburgh Song >2. Flansburgh Song >1. Flansburgh Song. > > >Why is this? > > >S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org The main reason for this would be that Linnell is the better songwriter of the two. (Better put on my flame-resistant suit...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Jan 1980 18:44:11 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: Sarah's Favorite Five Hello this is Sarah (middle child of the folk family) I'm 14 and here are my five favorites: Shes An Angel Dead New York City Youth Culture Where Your Eyes Don't Go Now there are alot that tie with these and there are very few that I don't like. These took me a while to settle with. Bye for now, Sarah ------------------------------ Subject: Why top Fives??? From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:30:00 EDT Why are there so many people who have to put their top 5 favorite songs?? I don't thinks that anyone cares what you personally like. This is a discussion list for those who love TMBG for what they are. Sure it's nice to know what you kind of TMBG song you like, but we don't need to know all of them. It's quite a pain in the butt to have to go through 20 top five lists to get to the E-mails which are actually having conversations. I guess my main problem is, is that there are so many people on this list, and all of them like different songs. So that's why i don't care what you like. I wouldn't care if you liked elevator music. I just like music, and i thinks that's why everyone else is here to discuss TMBG. P.S. sorry if i pissed everyone off, it's boring deleting 70% of the E-mails I get just cause there about some top five. Just had to blow off some steam. By the way, where's the nearest restroom??? HAVE A NICE DAY OR I'LL MAKE ONE FOR YOU! : D : D ______________________________________________________ This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please use the above address. ______________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:30:11 -0400 Subject: cause EVERYONE wants to know (just kiding) my least favorite tmbg songs------ 1 ana ng 2no one knows my plan 3 birdhouse in your soul 4 dont lets start 5 JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!! ok,my REAL least fav tmbg songs--- oh god,i tried. i swear to god just now i looked through all the songs and realized i like all of them. whenever a new song comes on,i think "oh cool,this song!". sorry,i tried. really. by the way. i Love THE DAY!!!! ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: who wrote what Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:34:08 -0400 (EDT) I almost forgot, Rat Patrol was written by both Linnell & Flans (one wrote the lyrics, the other wrote the music, this is from Music & Computers Interview) -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:37:40 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: Why top Fives??? On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Dragon Lord wrote: > Why are there so many people who have to put their top 5 favorite songs?? > I don't thinks that anyone cares what you personally like. This is a > discussion list for those who love TMBG for what they are. Sure it's > nice to know what you kind of TMBG song you like, but we don't need to > know all of them. It's quite a pain in the butt to have to go through 20 > top five lists to get to the E-mails which are actually having > conversations. I guess my main problem is, is that there are so many > people on this list, and all of them like different songs. So that's why > i don't care what you like. I wouldn't care if you liked elevator music. > I just like music, and i thinks that's why everyone else is here to > discuss TMBG. > > P.S. sorry if i pissed everyone off, it's boring deleting 70% of the > E-mails I get just cause there about some top five. Just had to > blow off some steam. By the way, where's the nearest restroom??? > > HAVE A NICE DAY OR I'LL MAKE ONE FOR YOU! : D : D > > ______________________________________________________ > This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account > If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please > use the above address. > ______________________________________________________ > Someone started the threat. We liked it. We started doing it. I enjoy reading them and pondering why each person likes those songs, and what they have in common. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:38:32 -0500 (CDT) From: jeremy pokela Subject: Nuclear holocaust must haves (I'm never getting stuck on a desserted island) In case of nuclear holocaust the ten albums I would need to carry me through the long, dark, nuclear winter would be...(in no particular order) 1. Recipe for Hate........Bad Religion 2. John Henry.............They Might be Giants 3. Add it up..............Violent Femmes 4. Suffer.................Bad Religion 5. Pretty Hate Machine....Nine Inch Nails 6. Dare to be Stupid......"Wierd Al" Yankovic 7. Apollo 18..............They Might be Giants 8. All Ages...............Bad Religion 9. Definatly maybe........Oasis (Their earlier album with Live Forever) 10. Throwing Copper........Live (Copper is misspelled I'm pretty sure) Jeremy Pokela Liberal (US style)/Socialist jpokela@d.umn.edu "Embarrisingly Liberal" -TV Commercial "And Proud of it!!!!!!!!!" -Me ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Jan 1980 19:37:29 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: Re: Why top Fives??? and 5 more! Dragon Lord wrote: > > Why are there so many people who have to put their top 5 favorite songs?? Ok, I will answer this with dignity. They are writing their top 5 because I asked them (sweetly)to! I (and the rest of my family) are new to this list. I would think if you have been a fan for any length of time that you must know how HARD it is to find anyone that even has heard of Them! When you are in your 40's it is impossible! We were so amazed that there were people out there that talked about Them every day! I wanted to know what these people liked about Them and what songs made them them the happiest. Some of us DO care what your favorite songs are!! Thanks to everyone that sent them in! It has been great for us to read these posts and we have been adding them up and will send the results shortly and then you don't need to worry anymore. I realized that some people may not like it but it is hard to do and fun to go over all the songs and decide. It is really wonderful how many different favorite songs people DO have(over 70 so far). I really am glad that so many people did send their favorites along, so here is one more list (just to torture you a little more, Dragon Lord): Bucks 5 faves---Buck is my husband and these are the choices of a really old guy (47yrs) that has been a true fan for many years. I think it is interesting that a lot of his favorites are turning up on the worst song lists ( I enjoy that too!) Rabid Child Kiss me, Son Of God Lucky Ball and Chain Your Racist Friend Everything Right is Wrong Again Any Comments? Be patient it will be over soon...... Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:01:11 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Prejusticed People On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >Hrm... I was under the impression that we really didn't know who it was > >actually writing the songs.... I thought They generally did the "written > >by TMBG" line... Did I miss something in the FAQ or the website or whatever? > > We are working under the assumption here that the John who writes the song > sings the song. Check the "Who Sings What" list for help with this. Yep...they have a "U Write, U Sing" policy in the band. Very few of the songs are collaborations. The only one I can think of off hand is Subliminal. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 20:02:42 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: SEXXY *gripe* Went down to Tower today and was politely informed that S-E-X-X-Y isn't coming out until the 29th!!! Over a month after the promised release date! Anyone know why? Anybody getting conflicting information? --nicole the wonder nerd who is older than she's ever been and who would be a lot more ticked off about the S-E-X-X-Y delay if she hadn't just bought a ticket to see Dave Barry! Gooh! *** ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:11:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Curiousity about Favorite songs Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Oct-96 Curiousity about Favorite s.. by jenn@xingnet.com > i have a quick question for everyone. how many of you find that > the first TMBG song you heard is still one of your top five favorite > songs? one of my top five favorites is still The Statue Got Me High > which is the first song i heard and i when i was reading some of your > lists, i found that a lot of you listed the first TMBG song you've heard > as one of your favorites. First song I ever head was (She was a) Hotel Detective, for about 2 seconds on MTV in 1987. The only reason I know this is because when I actually sat down and watched the video, I said to myself "I've seen this before. Where?" And I know my brother watched MTV a lot... The first real exposure I had was when someone brought Flood on the school bus in 1991. I heard Istanbul, Dead, and Particle Man (why I didn't hear Your Racist Friend, I don't know, but those three stuck out). However, having not been paying attention to the current music, I was afraid to ask anyone what it was out of fear of them saying "What? This is really popular, how could you not know it?" And I didn't find out about Them until summer of 1994, when they played in my area and all my friends went... But back to the original subject... Istanbul is not among my top 5, or even my top 10 songs. I made a tape a couple of years ago (right after JH came out) with what I considered to be "TMBG's Very Best Songs." Istanbul, Particle Man, and Dead were all included. As were many, many others. I need to use a 100 minute tape now that FS is out. I figure Spiraling Shape and Metal Detector deserve to be on it at least... (but I can't find a live version of Metal Detector - have they ever played it?) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:21:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Prejusticed People Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Oct-96 Re: Prejusticed People by Evan Chakroff@ix.netcom. > The main reason for this would be that Linnell is the better songwriter of > the two. > (Better put on my flame-resistant suit...) Why the flame-resistant suit? I think most people tend to agree. Even Flansburgh says so. Linnell says so, too... in jest, anyway. According to some source, I forget who said it, but the message conveyed was that Linnell doesn't really have to try to write songs, they just sort of flow, whereas Flansburgh has to actually sit down and try to write a song, and has much more trouble with it... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:23:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: House Of Mayors Somebody posted something about this as a release from Hello Recording Club. I didn't know it was out. In fact, I haven't heard anything about Hello since I got the '94 discography (which had the Brian Dewan disc, and therefore, was fantastic). Anyway, when was House of Mayors put out? Is it part of the '96 set? -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:26:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Prejusticed People Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Oct-96 Re: Prejusticed People by BlueDawg@visi.net > Yep...they have a "U Write, U Sing" policy in the band. Very few of the > songs are collaborations. The only one I can think of off hand is > Subliminal. Subliminal? With such a prominent accordion part, it could only have been written by Linnell... NyQuil Driver, James K. Polk, and S-E-X-X-Y are collaborations of TMBG and someone else. Whether that means Linnell XOR Flansburgh AND someone else, or Linnell OR Flansburgh AND someone else is up to discussion... (for those non-CS geeks in the audience, XOR means one or the other but not both - I just had to use it there, it seemed appropriate) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:29:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: known writer of songs On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > Birdhouse in your Soul--Linnell > Ok, anymore? > Matt > I thought one time Lin said "we" when he was talking about the writing of Birdhouse. Something like "when we wrote it." I could be wrong but I don't think so. You didn't say how you knew Lin wrote this himself. Take it easy -Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:52:45 -0400 Subject: Re: Prejusticed People xThe main reason for this would be that Linnell is the better songwriter of xthe two. I think the real reason is a little more complicated. Flansburgh, particularly of late, writes more straight-forward rock. Maybe you'd consider it more mainstream. I don't, but that's your call. Linnell writes stuff that is more un-classifiable, if that's a word. Anyway, a reasonable number of TMBG fans (including me) are drawn to Them precisely because they are so unique, different, non-mainstream, or any other synonym for the Q-word. So I think it's natural that these people would be especially drawn to the more offbeat songs, which just happen to be written by our friend Mr. Linnell. (personally, though, I don't have any real preference. Hmm. Oh well) Now let's qualify some things so I don't get burned at the stake: Liking TMBG because they're different does not make you a blind follower or whatever. Also: "Different" is not a put-down or a trivialization (if *that* is a word), and really I don't think "quirky" is automatically one, either. Thank you. x(Better put on my flame-resistant suit...) Oh, you thought *you* were in trouble... --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:16:53 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: Bye for awhile not that i post much here anyway, but i will be gone for a couple weeks at the most. i guess i'll leave my top, uuhh, __ songs: (no special order) I Palindrome I My Evil Twin She Was A Hotel Detective (BTS) ...Puppet Head She's An Angel Ana Ng Hey Mr. DJ Shoehorn with Teeth Birdhouse Letterbox Self Called Nowhere The Bells Are Ringing be back in a few... -Chakka ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 00:22:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Nuclear holocaust must haves On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, jeremy pokela wrote: > (I'm never getting stuck on a desserted island) In case of nuclear > holocaust the ten albums I would need to carry me through the long, > dark, nuclear winter would be...(in no particular order) Well, I'd probably recommend the CD 'How to carry yourself through a long, dark, nuclear winter -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net And, if you think political labels are important, I'm Social Anarchist ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 00:24:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Toronto superstars On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, connie tsang wrote: > > I have an announcement to make everyone. This Mike character from > Toronto that you keep seeing around???? He's a superstar filmmaker. Damn, I thought I was the superstar film.. er... TV star. > > Pssssssst: Mike! Alex! Whaddyathink of FS???? Did you guys take all > the copies from HMV or something when you came downtown yesterday??? > Frig, there was only one bloody copy left! Blasphemy! And I couldn't > find it at Tower or Sam's. Bloody 'ell. Sunrise. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:31:30 -0500 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-283 It's really hard to think of five favorite TMBG songs because I love them all. But here goes: 5, Wher3e your eyes don't go; 4, She's a Hotel Detective, BTS version; 3, Birdhouse in Your Soul; 2, I'll Sink Manhattan, and 1, End of the Tour. There's no way I can really think of five TMBBG songs that are my least favorite bbecause the only one I don't really lilke is the remixed version of The World's A Dress from Miss T, though I love the rest of the album, and even that song has its redeeming qualities. Take care and good night! Linda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 00:09:27 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Counterfeit Faker Can anyone help me out with the lyrics to Counterfeit Faker? Here's what I have got so far (some of it's a stretch): ----- Call out the undertaker Call out the police Counterfeit Faker Is coming after me Yes, I loved him like my brother I loved him and ?????? There's no way to measure the damage he has done Counterfeit Faker ???? ???? I walked through windows I walked through plate glass doors Silent expresses nonsense Waves me on some more Counterfeit Faker The damage has been done The damage has been done The damage has been done Counterfeit Faker ????? on -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 01:13:37 -0700 From: jenn Subject: Re: Prejusticed People > Bottom songs: > > 5. Linnell Song > 4. Flansburgh Song > 3. Flansburgh Song > 2. Flansburgh Song > 1. Flansburgh Song. > > Why is this? i love linnell's voice! jenn ------------------------------ From: DarkKnigtX@aol.com Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 01:16:59 -0400 Subject: RE: that whistle in Spiraling Shape Actually, I think it's more of a siren that a bus or heavy duty machine (bulldozer, etc.) makes when backing up... I dunno. Pet Name rules!!! I now have three people in my school (I think that's all of the tmbg fans here actually) that like it... Though it is not traditional tmbg style, it shows that they are open to experimentation into other musical forms... and it turns out pretty darn well. Also, is it just me, or are tmbg going to be in Minneapolis on halloween night? DarkKnight ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 01:05:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: Prejusticed People I always felt that Linnel wrote the more, how do I put this, 'poppy' or 'mainstream' but not necesssarily 'commercial' of the TMBG songs. Listen to the songs Lin sings on each album compared to the ones Flans sings. Which do you think would be more popular with the general public. I don't know. I think more people would like Birdhouse or DLS or Ana Ng then a lot of those really wacked out Flans songs. At least that's been my experience with people who are new TMBG fans. At first, they're drawn in by the Lin songs then they come to appreciate the Flans songs. That's the way it was with me. Don't take this to be a blasting of Lin, I generally like his songs better too. Take it easy -Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: TMBGVBall@aol.com Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 01:39:05 -0400 Subject: Top and Bottom 5 Top 5 1. She's An Angel 2. Birdhouse in Your Soul 3. Hey Mr. DJ 4. Ana Ng 5. Don't Let's Start Honorable Mention: -It's Not My Birthday -Till My Head Falls Off -They'll Need A Crane -Where Your Eyes Don't Go -I Should Be Allowed to Think Bottom 5 1. O Do Not Forsake Me 2. The Day 3. Stomp Box 4. Dig My Grave 5. Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love Dishonorable Mention: -Hello Radio -You'll Miss Me -Lie Still, Little Bottle -Toddler Hiway -Hotel Detective (LP version) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:59:12 -0700 From: Kenneth Leicht Subject: Re:Top 5, Bottom 5, etc... This is my first message to any list. Here's hoping it gets through. Please Note that I haven't heard FS yet so none of those tunes are included in my lists. Anyway...in no particular order... Top 5 TMBG songs as of 10/16/96 9:34 pm PST 1.)I Palindrome I-"Some day mother will die and I'll get the money..." A classic. 2.)Rhythm Section Want Ad---How they made something this catchy out of such complicated verbage is amazing. 3.)SnowBall In Hell---Best Song on Lincoln that isn't Ana Ng 4.)Ana Ng---nuff said 5.)Twisting If I could have five more... 1.)Letterbox 2.)Number Three 3.)Meet James Ensor 4.)Fingertips---The reason why this rates is really long and complicated but I guess in brief it's just my strange passion for the non-sequitor. 5.)Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head Songs that would be on my Top 5 if I wasn't a little burned out on them. 1.)Birdhouse in Your Soul 2.)They'll Need a Crane 3.)Purple Toupee 4.)We Want a Rock 5.)Almost all of Apollo 18 5 Least Favorite TMBG Songs 1.)Toddler Hiway---I hadn't heard this song in a while as I don't think I've listened to the first album in this decade but as it popped up on people's lists I went back and played it. Yes I agree it is not one of their best. 2.)The Pencil Rain---"The tyranny of..." Yeah Yeah. 3.)Particle Man---Blasphemy I know but it just never did anything for me. 4.)Hot Cha---I just wish I could erase this one from existence but maybe I'm being a bit harsh. 5.)You'll miss me---It's probably odd that two of my least favorite songs are from what was once my favorite album. This is the one song by THEY that I just plain despise. I hated it 8 years ago. I still don't like it...but who knows five years after the fact I decided that I love Road Movie to Berlin. Dishonorable Mention:SPY Overrated Songs... 1.)Particle Man---see above. 2.)No One Knows My Plan---More blasphemy. I know the kids love this one but other than having the distinction of being the Cartoon Planet theme I don't see the big deal. 5 Guilty Pleasures...(defined as songs that people on the LIST have dissed but that I like) 1.)Road Movie To Berlin---Somewhere along the line I went from disliking this song to thinking it's a masterpiece. When I figure out why I'll let you know. 2.)Shoehorn With Teeth---Maybe it's just cause I can still remember them doing it live all those years ago. 3.)Boat of Car---My friend Alena's favorite and perhaps their most bizarre song to date. They did it live when I saw them on the Apollo 18 tour (much to my shock) and it was quite an experience. I don't care to hear it often but by golly it's some odd bit of brilliance. 4.)Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love---I don't know...I kind of dig it. 5.)Cage and Aquarium---I guess you just had to be there. Albums...From least favorite to favorite... 7.)FACTORY SHOWROOM---only last because I haven't heard any of it yet. 6.)MISC. T---This rates on the low end because I never really listened to it that much and because much of it was from eps and such that I already possessed. But I broke it out tonight for the purposes of list making and I think I'll start listening to it more often. 5.)THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS (1st album)---Probably the only album where I would say that it could lose about half the songs. 4.)JOHN HENRY---this album suffers from the fact that I'm still not as familiar with it as the top 3 although I do believe it to be a better all around album than FLOOD. Somethings just missing from it though and I'm really not sure what it is. 3.)FLOOD---I've always had problems with Flood. The reasons vary. 1.)I had heard many of the songs live before on the Lincoln tour and on a 120 Minutes they did. Incidentally they were amazing on that show. they did almost unplugged versions of Istanbul/Letterbox and a virtually acapella I'll Sink Manhattan. Brilliant! They even did a song called 120 Minutes which was pretty funny. I really should find that tape. Anyway...I digress...The versions on Flood were always lacking for me...Somewhat overproduced in some cases. I understand why so many on the list hate Racist Friend but if you heard the original rip roaring live version...it would be different. I'll never forgive them for the album version. 2.)It followed Lincoln So why is it #3? Well the classicsBirdhouse,Twisting,Whistling,Istanbul and little gems like Hearing Aid and Minimum Wage drag the whole thing up. The flaws...like Hot Cha...don't seem to matter. 2.)LINCOLN---I feel that I should call this the best one but despite it's brilliance I never feel compelled to go back to it like I do the other albums that I like less. I don't understand it. I think I just overplayed it and I still need time away. 1.)APOLLO 18---There are few bands I am so into that I buy everything they've ever recorded. XTC, the Jam, Elvis Costello to name a few. But I don't ever remember continuously playing an album as much as this...fairly consistantly for four years. In fact I can't seem to grasp that another album came out after it. I bought John Henry when it came out but it didn't grab me on first listen so I didn't get back to it until recently. this is my absolute favorite. I went to see them 2 or 3 times on that tour. Their most cohesive album. Still not sick of it. I could go on further but this is already an epic posting. Sorry I went on so long but I've been lurking for two months and I finally had to speak. Love to hear your opinions on my opinions. Later... Herne the Hunter p.s.---just heard Stormy Pinkness for the first time tonight. Loved it! I really should play things more when I buy them rather than years later. I just have too much music. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 01:49:52 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: if I was stranded on a deserted island........ What CDs I would take with me on a deserted island is a hard question. I just have too many good CDs (I own almost 200) to choose!! But, to keep the thread going, I feel that I must...... (these are in no particular order) TMBG-John Henry BNL-Born on a Pirate Ship Jeff Buckley-Grace Grant Lee Buffalo-Fuzzy John Wesley Harding-It Happened One Night The Grays-Ro Sham Bo R Kelly-R Kelly MTV Party to Go #7 Widespread Panic-Ain't Life Grand Aware Compilation #3 Wow--that was hard. Some of those CDs are really random too!!:) Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:03:31 -0700 From: Kenneth Leicht Subject: RE:Bow Wow Wow It's official. I am old. The fact that some of you didn't know who Bow Wow Wow were and had to go do research to find out! Ouch! I actually saw them live once. They opened for the Police on the Ghost in the Machine tour. They were quite amusing...but they were no Adam and the Ants. geezerly yours, Herne the Hunter. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-284 ******************************