Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-286 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 286 Saturday, 19 October 1996 Today's Topics: (none) Re: You gave me a Pet name... More useless crap to read! Re: Reasons to be Puce Re: You gave me a Pet name... Re: Prejusticed People mental imagery TMHFO Re: Fulfilling a dream Re: XTC is NOT chopped liver, I'm a vegetarian for God's sake1 TMBG. No, really. Re: Get away that Nickelodeon show Re: Yet another top 5... F-S S-E-X-Y!! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-284 Broom Lyrics and Other Miscellany Re: You gave me a Pet name... desert island Re: Broom Lyrics and Other Miscellany Top5/Bottom5?!?/DIDs Myster Science Theater 3000 Re: Bow Wow Wow 2034 Help help! The whole 5 thing Re: 2034 Re: Bow Wow Wow Re: Get away Eric Re: Eric Re: You gave me a Pet name... replies. I couldn't resist (top 10 cd's if you want to delete this) Re: 2034 Re: 2034 Re: Prejusticed People RE: 2034/6 NYC & FS thoughts Re: Eric beatles references Re: that Nickelodeon show NYC & FS thoughts Top Ten Albums - Skip If You Like rockin Re: that Nickelodeon show TMBG is comming to SF! Re: Misc. Re: NYC & FS thoughts Fwd: that Nickelodeon show Re: You gave me a Pet name... La La La La bloopity bloopity blop! Re: Eric Re: Prejusticed People Re: You gave me a Pet name... Is It Wrong to like Unsupervised more than FS? Re: You gave me a Pet name... Re: Bow Wow Woof You'll miss me, with effigies... Unidentified DAS and #TMBG info Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-285 Prices in the land of OZ Re: You gave me a Pet name... Can someone help fill in the blanks? Re: Prices in the land of OZ what are the last words in metal detector? Re: desert islands and such The last words on Metal Detector (part 2) ? TMBG Music sheet music? anyone? anyone? Re: sheet music? anyone? anyone? TMBG at Wherehouse HCISLAG - Solved! Secret is out! Kinda! Bottom Five Songs - Skip If It's Not Your Bag re: trillian aka Melissa's Bow Wow Wow query re:Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: milktoast@juno.com (Ian C Tanttari) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 02:04:27 EDT In a different dimention, This was spoken My Tmbg top 5 1.SnailShell 2.Whistleing in theDark 3.Don't Let Start 4.birdhouse 5.twisting ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 05:17:14 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > Ruprecht: > > >1. You actually think Factory Showroom is brilliant. > > Anyone else think that Ruprecht has crossed the line from merely stating his > opinion to merely being an obnoxious asshole? > Um, stick, carrot, dangling--there's someone in Michigan who is laughing his ass off right about now. And I'd like to talk to anyone who thinks FS is brilliant. Good it may be, great in parts, but brilliant as a whole? That record is Lincoln. Could little Robby Grabill email me please? Thanks. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 05:53:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: More useless crap to read! Yeah, spam! Gotta love it. (And I do after just hitting 'd' on 172 messages in my inbox.) Well Rup already summed up my visit to hellish Lansing Michigan, which was actually my second. Those of you who remember the first visit I had remember that it was a Murphy's Law trip, and thie trip was much better! Not only did I get to make Ruprecht's dad yell at him to go to bed, but I made Wally Pleasant feel bad and even got a picture of the two of us. It was a great show and you should all listen to Wally any chance you get! He's great, and he only knows 5 guitar chords. Anyhow I had a great time, I wish you could all meet Rup because he has beautiful hair (sorry man had to say it) I'm just glad I made it back ok, I fell asleep at the wheel more times than I can count and at one point actually thought there was a horse in the road. Well enough about me, I'm receiving more messages as I write. Time to go delete them! Oh, and a big hello and welcome to new listie Brian Miranda. Nice to have you Chico :) OH and just so this is TMBG related, it was really odd....I have never heard TMBG on the radio save the Dr. Demento show before, but *both* times I've visited Lansing, they've played something! First time it was JKP, and this time it was TMHFO. I do still have *some* respect for the town. But not much. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org There's no safe way to operate a weed whacker in the nude. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Reasons to be Puce From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 02:32:01 EDT On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 23:04:51 -0400 (EDT) Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: > >>Unrelated Thing, XTC vs. Adam Ant, Until My Head Falls Off, >>Saphire Bullets, New York Shitty >>The person who can find the pattern wins a prize. Try to guess >>my least favourite albums and you also win a prize... > >As someone else said, you must tell me where you get the fine crack >you are >using. Um, BTW, I'm the one who happened to have said that. In _that_ case he actually was talking about good songs. After making this list I rather regretted including Sapphire Bullets, though, it's rather good compared to those others... And anyone who thinks A) New York Shitty is musically unique B) New York Shitty has really intelligent thought provoking lyrics needs to find a gutter some where and... I don't know why anyone would want to cover _this_ song. Perhaps there is something wonderfully brilliant in the cub version that I am missing, but the TMBG version bites the big one. I must also add that even The Guitar was more clever of a cover than this (actually, much more clever a cover, they don't even compare)... >BTW, if you think TMBG suck so much now, why do you need to keep telling us? >Obviously we who still like them are all drooling fanboy-sheep-rabid dogs >who would snatch up any shit TMBG put out, so doesn't that make us too >stupid for brilliant you to waste your time with? Oh, I'm sorry, was I being objective? =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 02:32:01 EDT On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 23:06:37 -0400 (EDT) Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: > >Ruprecht: > >>1. You actually think Factory Showroom is brilliant. > >Anyone else think that Ruprecht has crossed the line from merely stating his >opinion to merely being an obnoxious asshole? > This is twice you've publicly called me names. Have I ever sunk to calling you names publicly or privately? I don't think so. Sure I'm an ass, I'll be the first to admit it, I was the first to fucking admit it, but I'm not an asshole, there's a difference. Heck, please, please, I beckon you, name one time that I have even _referred_ to you specifically when speaking of Factory Showroom. Yes I've responded to your posts, yes I've been for the most part against your opinions, but I've never said " is a bastard" or " is being an obnoxious asshole" I see no better proof of the way I feel about Factory Showroom than simply the way you respond to my posts about it, name calling. I wish we could all be childish. >>One more thing: if ever some says something on here that's not totally >>happy and devotionary to the band, deal with it. My intent isn't to piss >>people off (what's the point?) but unpopular opinions, if folks have 'em, >>shouldn't be trounced on by those who disagree. First of all, those who disagree can say whatever the hell they want (though they probably shouldn't be using the language I have been, sorry Leo). I have "trounced upon" the opinions of those who like the album, it is only fair for them to do the same. This is the very basis of argumentation and what can make this list actually interesting as compared to certain other threads. >Well, seeing as how almost all of the people on this list who have been here >for a long time have decided that Factory Showroom sucks and that only >stupid people could possibly like it (Ruprecht, are you listening?) Would you say I've been here a long time? February was not that long ago and if I recall right, a few people who said they hadn't posted in years came on and said that loved Factory Showroom. What does the length of my TMBG listening have to do with my opinion forming abilities? Are you saying that I'm automatically inclined to hate this album? Are you accusing me of the same thing that you believe I am accusing you of? Please note, I have never said you are "stupid for liking this." I have said that I cannot see how anyone would like certain tracks on FS. This is my own personal opinion, if you choose to be offended by that, it is your prerogative. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:24:09 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Prejusticed People At 05:44 PM 10/17/96 -0700, you wrote: >This one thread seems to be surfing along well, so I'd thought I'd post a >long-winded (so please don't read if you don't have the patience) >commentary, complete with a wacky stretch. > And I am so so SO sorry for this really long post. Delete key at >ready... > Speaking of the Beatles, what does everyone think are Beatles refrences/simmilarities in Their songs? About that post----^ A- : While your supporting paragraphs had good structure, your paper lacked a good exposition and conclusion. (Sorry, it just sounded like something I would be writing in english class.) About UMHFO being about suicide: Interresting. Here's what I think: This guy is very nervous about something. I think it is some big thing, he's making a presentation of some sort, in front of lots of people. The morning of the day he has to do it he goes over the whole thing to himself, in the mirror; rehearsing for it. When the time comes he can't find his notes (feeling the pockets) he panics (hitting them again) He is forgetful: "what happened to the other 10?" can't remember where he put his notes. I see this could be about suicide, and the audience is himself. He can't find his notes meaning he's having second thoughts about suicide. I don't know. I'm tired as I'm writing this. (I wrote this at 12 last night, but my mail server was down for a bit, so I'm not sending it 'till my head falls off, though it may not be a long way off...) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 96 08:31:20 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: mental imagery hey all! i just noticed that someone's .sig quotes "turn around" and i was wondering if anyone else got the same mental imagery from it that i do: i was out by myself in the graveyard i was doing an interpretive dance when i felt something heavy and pointed strike me in the back of my neck i am picturing the something heavy and pointed as one of the old-fashioned triangle (and heavy! in most cases) shaped metronomes. anyone else get this? :) may They be with you. peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:42:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: TMHFO On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > The morning of the day he has to do it he goes over the whole thing to > himself, in the mirror; rehearsing for it. This is always how I've seen the song, the whole week I've been listening to it. Or week and a half, whatever. Anyhow, the lines Clearing my throat and gripping the lectern I smile and face my audience Clearing his throat and smiling with his hands on the bathroom sink Have always given me this great mental picture for a "scene" if a video was shot to this song. The camera is making a 360 degree turn and you start at the back of the guy giving the presentation, he's dressed in a suit and the camera turns and you see he's smiling and he's quite nervous, then whenthe camera gets to the shot of him from the perspective of someone looking right at him, the scene changes to the guy at the sink looking in the mirror. It looks really cool in my mind. But then most things do :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:51:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Fulfilling a dream On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, The Denominator wrote: > Hey GiantHeads, > So this is what I'm wanting... I could use some input as to: > > 1)How much it costs to get them booked > 2)Who I would contact to get this whole thing going > 3)When they could possibly do a show (In Tulsa, Oklahoma) > 4)Anything that could help me fulfill this task. > Damn. You aim high. I'm impressed. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:00:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: XTC is NOT chopped liver, I'm a vegetarian for God's sake1 Well, just to throw a tidbit of info onto the pile, They do a cover of 25 O'Clock on the XTC Tribute album called 'A Testimonial Dinner' Also on the album is the Crash Test Dummies (cool band, but no starting threads off this, kay?.... And no, it isn't Peter Pumkinhead, much to my disappointment) Sarah McSomething (really cool singer who's last name I can't spell, she's on someone's Desert Disk list) ...and a few others who's names currently escape me. On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Melissa Cowan wrote: > > >Any song that says Adam Ant in it > > >immediatly has a certain degree of coolness > > > > And what is XTC, chopped liver? > > NO, I like XTC too, but you don't of Adam Ant as much and he's just so > much more sexy(not SEXXY)than XTC, which, when you get to later psots by > me, you'll find out. Anywyas, everybody was commenting about XTC and no > one was saying anything about Adam Ant. > > Trillian > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:05:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: TMBG. No, really. At the suggestion of fellow lister Alex (Well, not really a suggestion, he was thinking about it out loud and I thought it was a cool idea), I found a H**tie concert poster and surgically removed They Might be Giants from it. Now if I could only find somewhere to put it. (whoa, am I ever leaving myself open on that one) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:20:45 +0600 From: doofus Subject: Re: Get away >Get Away, in my opinion is a brillant song, it sounds so much like a dream >sequence it's almost scary... 'cause nothing makes any sense... love the >"bill collector's drinking lighter fluid" part! Interesting tidbit: butane (lighter fluid) is a gas at room temperature and pressure. It must have been very cold in Brooklyn that day... -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:23:02 +0600 From: doofus Subject: that Nickelodeon show >but i first saw, heard of, watched, whatever they might be giants on nickelodean when iwas >7...i got my first album when i was nine...anyway back to nickelodean anyone remember the >name of that show???? tmbg was always had the #2 video to things like walk like an >egyptian or debbie gibson or other crap.....anyways what was the shows name??? Clarissa Tells All? Rumor has it that she had a TMBG poster over her bed or something, too. -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage ------------------------------ From: yublocka Subject: Re: Yet another top 5... Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:01:57 +1000 Once upon a time there was a person called Maria, Nick...... > > Anyhow, FS arrives in Australia today. Yay!!! > > 10000ft Septic > it does?? is that an australian release of it then? i've had my copy since last weekend .... redeye in sydney had a stack of them. after umming and aahing about whether i should put my 5 cents worth (2 cents gets rounded down to $0.00 in australia, and i'd like to think that i am worth something :) i decided, bugger it, why not? so here goes..... overall: i like it, but i like it *less* than john henry. incidentally, i like john henry a whole lot. this just seems slower, and less lively than the other albums to me. not the type of thing you listen to when youre charging, anyway. actually, ill spare you all who read this far, and wont do a blow-by-blow account. highlights for me are: i can hear you (i love this, the sound is great...made me realise that back in those ole days they didnt sing in high funny voices, the recording equipment made it sound like that) spiraling shape (having never heard this before, it doesnt matter to me whether it soudns the same of not) pet name (this is a groovy little tune, and thats all i have to say about that) actually the only song on it that doesnt really tickle my fancy is "your own worst enemy". that really bugs me -- its too long and boring and just blech. some others are too long id also agree, but theyre not blechhy long. and now....*drum roll* for the bit that hardly anyone is interested in...... my nuclear desert island thingyyy (i just couldnt do a top/bottom 5 - required too much thought) * tmbg - "lincoln" * tmbg - "apollo 18" * custard - "wahooti fandango" * weezer - "pinkerton" (prolly my fave atm) * frenzal rhomb - "coughing up a storm" * custard - "weisenheimer" * nancy vandal and the popgun assasins - "return of the zombie skate poets from the planet sex" * mavis' - "poseidon" * bodyjar - "time to grow up" * the meanies - "the meanie of life" whew! that was tough! seeya later, tamara. ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: F-S S-E-X-Y!! Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:26:22 +1000 Hello all mst say that I'm pleasently surprised at the quality of FS (I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to hearing negative revues), though I have to agree another 4 to 6 tracks wouldn't have gone astray. Accepting that They are a changing band (I think we can all agree that you would expect a big difference between a 'full of youthful vigour' 26 year old and a 'mid-life crises' 37 year old) it is reasonable to say that JH was a new beginning for They (with the full scale band and all) and the new style in that album was a debut equivalent (ie JH = Self Titled). Assuming that this theory holds true ("we agree, we agree" shout the masses) then FS is the full bands Lincoln. I hope this made sense. And I have to admit that I love S-E-X-X-Y!! Admittedly it's not very Giantsy cf They're older stuff, but it's certainly funky, with a dash of Q. And, just out of interest, is anyone else reminded of Nik Kershaws 'Radio Musicola' when they here the start of this song. Live long and prosper 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:56:38 -0500 From: becky_ray@s-hamilton.k12.ia.us (Rebecca S. Ray, one who needs no sleep, keeper Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-284 3: ok here is where i ask for help. > i need to decide weatther to ggo to a Tori Amos concert >or not. ok here the circumstances. itss this Saturday and is >sold out. i can only get my hands on 1 ticket but 2 people want >to go with me; if we dont go to Tori we are going to go to see The >Pietasters ( a verry good ska band). I really want to see tori >but dont want to leave my friends. shhould i A. go alone > to tori or B. settle for the pieetasters whom i will get >a chance to ssee again in the near future? > sorry that this int related to TMBG but tmbg fans are >usually have very good judgement > >peace, love, and understanding] > -kenny > IMHO, I say go to the Tori concert. I went to the show last June and it was pretty amazing. When you see what that woman can do with a harpsichord... She even had a great opening act which I find to be pretty rare. His name was Willy Porter and he was very funny. So go....sorry if this is posted late, since I get the digest...I'm sorta behind... I will try not to breathe, this decision is mine. I have lived a full life , these eyes are the eyes of the old... -REM ****************************************************************************** A woman came up to me and said, "I'd like to poison your mind with wrong ideas that appeal to you though I am not unkind." -TMBG ****************************************************************************** Day after day, I will walk and I will play. But the day after today, I will stop... and I will...start. -Violent Femmes ****************************************************************************** Rebecca Susan Ray 2325 360 St. Jewell, IA 50130 becky_ray@s-hamilton.k12.ia.us stingray@netins.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:08:58 +0600 From: doofus Subject: Broom Lyrics and Other Miscellany >Anyone have a .wav or sound file of IANYB? I haven't heard this song before >and I would be eternally grateful if someone knew where I could get a copy. >DarkKnight The QuickTime movie is on the website under Quantity/Giant Cam/I am Not Your Broom. Highly recommended! >Today me and another kid from school were both singing I Am Not Your Broom >and Exquisite Dead Guy during lunch. Having other TMBG fans at school is fun. :) EDG really lends itself to public annoyance, doesn't it? We were singing it on the Metro all the way back from the D.C. concert. I don't think anyone was as amused as we were. >Minimum Wage is great (the instrumental part is good and the vocal part is >just so much fun to sing along to!) Letterbox is a lot of fun, and Women and >Men just kicks ass (humorous, and fun to sing). A definite favorite of mine. I notice this same trend in my choice of "favorite" songs: singability = likeability. I spend so much time in the car I have nothing to do but pretend I'm John Linnell. When I'm really adventurous I try singing Flans, but I usually end up frustrated and sore. >I have no problem with people hating Factory >Showroom to death. I have a problem with being insulted and being told I >can't think for myself just because I like it. I would like to state for the record that I LOVE FACTORY SHOWROOM! You may argue, you may cajole, you may resort to physical violence, but you will never overcome Their power. John Henry was awesome too, by the way. SHOCKING REVELATION: All their stuff is great! Go figure. >Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, > John, I will not clean for you, for I am >smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants Almost. For those who cannot, for one reason or another, download the video of I am not your broom: "Now broom you must now sweep for me, the dust it fills my room. No John I will not sweep for you, for I am not your broom. What nonsense are you speaking, broom? My words you must obey. Another life awaits me and I'm leaving you today. I am not your broom, I am not your broom! I've had enough, I'm throwing off my chains of servitude. I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No longer must I sweep for you, for I am not your broom." -John Linnell (Hence the bringing of brooms to concerts. Go Christy!) >Trillian An excellent reference from an excellent book. Every sane person must immediately remedy the situation by reading it. (Douglas Adams very well may be TMBG's literary analog...) -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:26:43 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... Mike Rose, from Totonot wrote: > > On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > > > > Ruprecht: > > > > >1. You actually think Factory Showroom is brilliant. > > > > Anyone else think that Ruprecht has crossed the line from merely stating his > > opinion to merely being an obnoxious asshole? > > > > Um, stick, carrot, dangling--there's someone in Michigan who is > laughing his ass off right about now. > And I'd like to talk to anyone who thinks FS is brilliant. Good > it may be, great in parts, but brilliant as a whole? That record is > Lincoln. I think it's brilliant, you can talk to me if you'd like. john ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:37:05 -0700 (PDT) From: Kasey Hicks Subject: desert island Who can resist an opportunity to impose his or her taste on everyone else with a "desert island" list? Certainly not me. In no p'tic'l'r ord'r, subj'ct t' change, etc.: _Albums_ TMBG, %Lincoln% (alternate choice: %John Henry%) Bob Dylan, %John Wesley Harding% (alt. choice: %Blood on the Tracks%) Elvis Costello, %Get Happy% (alt. choice: %Armed Forces%) Carole King, %Tapestry% Sex Pistols, %Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols% Neil Young, %Rust Never Sleeps% (alt. choice: %Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere%) Frank Black, %Teenager of the Year% (alt. choice: Pixies, %Doolittle%) Art Garfunkel, %Breakaway% (alt. choice: %Watermark%) Van Morrison, %St. Dominic's Preview% (alt. choice: %Astral Weeks%) Suzanne Vega, %Days of Open Hand% _Books_ (Sorry, I have to up this list to five--also, good thing Shakespeare was thrown in free) Spenser, %Faerie Queene% Virgil, %Aeneid% Nabokov, %Lolita% (alt. choice: %Pale Fire%) Eliot, %Middlemarch% (alt. choice: Austen, %Mansfield Park%) Dante, %Divine Comedy% (OK, that's sort of three books) "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:50:54 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Broom Lyrics and Other Miscellany >An excellent reference from an excellent book. Every sane person must >immediately remedy the situation by reading it. (Douglas Adams very well >may be TMBG's literary analog.. not this again... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:11:23 -0700 (MST) From: "Jessica T. Gluckman" <143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu> Subject: Top5/Bottom5?!?/DIDs Here are what might possibly be my "top 5": * Kiss Me, Son of God * Dinner Bell * We Want a Rock * Absolutely Bill's Mood * Purple Toupee And as for bottom 5 (geez, what prompted the need to list these?), I guess these songs might appear on it: - Pencil Rain - Dead - ?????? I'm thinking of ones I would tend to forward past or skip if I wasn't in the mood to listen to them, but they just aren't coming to me. Also, I'll point out that I'd rather listen to my least favorite They song than listen to my least detested song by some band I cannot stand (I will not give an example for the sake of self-protection). And as for my desert-island cd's....if I could only have 10... * TMBG - Lincoln * Smiths - Louder than Bombs * New Order - Power, Lies, and Corruption * Cure - Pornography * Lush - Gala * "Weird Al" Yankovic - I'd say the Complete Al, but is that cheating? ;) * Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity * Bjork - Debut * Morrissey - Bona Drag * Devo - New Traditionalists Um...that wasn't easy either... heh heh :) but finally, I seem caught up on all the lists going on within the list... :), Jessica ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ? Jessica Gluckman..."My name's not Prince, ? ? and I'm not funky." ? ? *Mail me at:143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu ? ? *Wander through my brain...if you dare : ? ? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2195 ? ?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~? ? "Sing your life, any fool can think of ? ? words that rhyme." ? ? -Morrissey ? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:30:16 -0500 (CDT) From: jeremy pokela Subject: Myster Science Theater 3000 Turgo is my FAVORITE. Trumpy you really are magic. It Stinks. *Thumbs up* The master would not approve. If I had to have one really monsterous feature, it would be a huge pinky which I would drag along behind me. Mitchell all liquered up and oily.*Gag* B1 Bob Dornan in StarFighters. The Acid plot of Skydivers. The head falling down the waterfall in The Amazing Melting Man. And who can forget Glen the Collosal Man CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROW. I love Mystery Science Theater, those at Comedy Central who cancelled it must die at my hands. Those who deamed my community unworthy of having MST3K the Movie, appear in theaters must also die by my hands. MST3K its not an attitude its a way of life. MST3K breaks all ethnic barriors. MST3K leads to inner peace and harmony. MST3K will provide for the continuation of the human species after nuclear holocaust Jeremy Pokela Liberal(US style)/Socialist jpokela@d.umn.edu "I'm not mad I just love MST3K" -Me (Talking to a friend of mine about this subject) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:56:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Brad Tutterow Subject: Re: Bow Wow Wow > Okay, I remember Bow Wow Wow and Adam and the Ants(had a crush on Adam > since I was five in fact) but I can't remember what Bow Wow Wow sings. > Was that who sang that I Want Candy song? No, that's Magna Pop that sings that one. -Brad. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:24:36 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: 2034 This isn't directly related to TMBG, but I'm (obviously) a fan.. and just wanted to announce.. I'm running for President in the year 2034!! Here's my slogan. * Vote for me! It's my birthday! * catchy huh. so.. whos voting for me? ~ Heather ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:40:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Help help! I need to phone Boba, Matthew Ondery. Does anyone have his phone number? Please mail *me* if you do. I accidentally deleted the mail from him. Thanks :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:40:01 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: The whole 5 thing Weel, my BOTTOM 5 tmbg songs are "You'll miss me" "Unrelated thing" "Hypnotist of ladies" "Hearing Aid" "I'm the Biggest one" Of course, these are still excelent songs compared to mere mortal music. My TOP 5 are (now this is hard) "'Till my head falls off" "Birdhouse" (well of course) "She's an angel" (I especially love the one on LINY) "Nightgown of the sullen moon" "Subliminal" Not that anyone cares of course. I'm just bored, and this beats doing schoolwork. Liam "Tiddledeedee. That will require a tetanus shot." -Homer (the Simpson, not the greek) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:40:14 -0500 (EST) From: Someone Famous Subject: Re: 2034 I'll vote for you if I get to be your running mate. On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Heather Tinkler wrote: > This isn't directly related to TMBG, but I'm (obviously) a fan.. and > just wanted to announce.. > I'm running for President in the year 2034!! > Here's my slogan. > > * Vote for me! It's my birthday! * > catchy huh. > so.. whos voting for me? > > ~ Heather > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:33:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: Bow Wow Wow On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Brad Tutterow wrote: > > Okay, I remember Bow Wow Wow and Adam and the Ants(had a crush on Adam > > since I was five in fact) but I can't remember what Bow Wow Wow sings. > > Was that who sang that I Want Candy song? > > No, that's Magna Pop that sings that one. > > > -Brad. > > Huh? That song came out a decade before MagnaPop was around. I'm gettin' confused. -Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Aaron Stephen Kohlbeck Subject: Re: Get away Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:39:09 CDT > > >Get Away, in my opinion is a brillant song, it sounds so much like a dream > >sequence it's almost scary... 'cause nothing makes any sense... love the > >"bill collector's drinking lighter fluid" part! > > Interesting tidbit: butane (lighter fluid) is a gas at room temperature and > pressure. It must have been very cold in Brooklyn that day... > > -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage > Well, I think here they are talking about the lighter fluid that you put in a Zippo or something (maybe it is the ligher fluid for starting a grill). That stuff is liquid at room temperature. Aaron -- Aaron Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant everlast@cs.wisc.edu Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Check out the Herald Online: http://www.badgerherald.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Eric Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:42:15 -0400 (EDT) I was curious, does everyone see Eric Schermerhorn as part of the band or a hired hand? Actually, i fyou think about it Graham, and Brian are both hired hands too since all they do is played the assigned music that the Johns write but I see them as more permanent members. Eric on the other hand, is more of the guitar solo player for hire. He doesn't play on all of the songs, it seems like he only plays on a few when i've seen them in concert recently. I actually am not much of a fan of him being in the band. I like Graham and Brian a lot (although yes from time to time I think it'd be cool to see a John & John show only), they really get into what they're playing and have fun and they're really good at what they do as well. But some of this guitar solo work in some of the new songs doesn't seem to flow as well for TMBG. It works sort of but I think it'd probably be better without him. I wonder if he'll just go back with Bowie or Iggy Pop or whoever in a little while? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:59:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Eric Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Oct-96 Eric by Matthew James@envy.loyol > I was curious, does everyone see Eric Schermerhorn as part of the band > or a hired hand? Actually, i fyou think about it Graham, and Brian are > both hired hands too since all they do is played the assigned music that > the Johns write but I see them as more permanent members. Eric on the > other hand, is more of the guitar solo player for hire. He doesn't play > on all of the songs, it seems like he only plays on a few when i've seen > them in concert recently. I actually am not much of a fan of him being > in the band. I like Graham and Brian a lot (although yes from time to > time I think it'd be cool to see a John & John show only), they really > get into what they're playing and have fun and they're really good at > what they do as well. But some of this guitar solo work in some of the > new songs doesn't seem to flow as well for TMBG. It works sort of but I > think it'd probably be better without him. Personally, I think he adds way too much guitar to the show. At the 9:30 club in August, they introduced him right before... Subliminal. On the album, no one is credited with "Second guitar on 1." So if there were two guitars, Flans played them and overlayed the tracks, or there is only one guitar part. As I recall, the accordion is audible on the CD. But two powerful electric guitars just drown it out. If they're going to use Eric, they should just use him on the new songs, almost all of which are guitar intensive, except James K. Polk, with that nice acoustic sound, and Your Own Worst Enemy and Exquisite Dead Guy, which have no guitar in them. I really want to see him out of their show. He just doesn't belong, especially for the older songs, like NyQuil Driver, which is heavy enough without a second guitar. There's my 4 cents. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:13:29 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... Yeah, I think Factory Showroom is brilliant too, exceptional even! I liked John Henry too!... I think Stomp Box is a kick-ass song, punk and Giant at the same time... Clarissa has a Flood poster, and... I thought this was a list for TMBG fans, not whiny dinks who argue about wether or not JH or FS deserve to be called TMBG records... I like TMBG, just am I'm sure you all do, but I can only compare them to two other bands regarding talent and continued kickass music. Those bands are the Beatles and R.E.M. and I'm sure we'll all get some diagreement on that too, cause if you asked me, I would never listen to Pink Floyd's anything, nevertheless bring it to a deserted island. So, since we all have varying tastes outside of TMBG, let's get over it and move on without putting 25 messages in my mailbox about New York City being cool or not! Then how are we to discuss TMBG then? you ask. Be creative. -Josh H ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:18:06 -0400 Subject: replies. >>They Might Be Giants--Then: the Early Years (counts as two cds)<< Hey, that's not fair! It's not even out yet!!! >>but i first saw, heard of, watched, whatever they might be giants on nickelodean when iwas 7...i got my first album when i was nine...anyway back to nickelodean anyone remember the name of that show???? tmbg was always had the #2 video to things like walk like an egyptian or debbie gibson or other crap.....anyways what was the shows name???<< Yes, that's where I fist saw Them too. I was also about 6 or 7. I believe it was called "Nick Rocks" or something like that. I'm trying very hard to remember what I saw...I'm pretty sure it was purple toupee, because I remember black and white parts.. >>And please,please may I have a VCR&TV with tapes of MST3K, The Young Ones, and Kids In The Hall?<< Haha! Gooood suggestion!! (As I have 13 KITH tapes, 1 TYO tape, and ah, some MST stuff) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:18:07 -0400 Subject: I couldn't resist (top 10 cd's if you want to delete this) Okay, I wasn't gonna do this, but ooh, i gotta. I mean, no one's gonna force ya to read this: (in no specific order--Are you CRAZY?!?) TMBG - Apollo 18 TMBG - Pink Album TMBG - Lincoln Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy soundtrack Mono Puff - Unsupervised Odds - Good Weird Feeling Tragically Hip - Day For Night XTC - Nonsuch Barenaked Ladies - Born On A Pirate Ship Clash - Combat Rock ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:31:46 -0500 From: Alex Chapman Organization: U T at Austin Subject: Re: 2034 Heather Tinkler wrote: > > This isn't directly related to TMBG, but I'm (obviously) a fan.. and > just wanted to announce.. > I'm running for President in the year 2034!! > Here's my slogan. > > * Vote for me! It's my birthday! * > catchy huh. > so.. whos voting for me? > > ~ Heather I will, If I can be V.P. REP or DEM? Alex (smiley) Chapman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:36:49 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: 2034 On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Heather Tinkler wrote: > This isn't directly related to TMBG, but I'm (obviously) a fan.. and > just wanted to announce.. > I'm running for President in the year 2034!! > Here's my slogan. > > * Vote for me! It's my birthday! * I'm not...the presidential election wouldn't be until 2036. And you'll have to compete with me. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 96 15:59 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Prejusticed People >Speaking of the Beatles, what does everyone think are Beatles >refrences/simmilarities in Their songs? Well, the first half a line of "Toddler Hiway" Y'know "In the morning sun..." always reminds me of "In the town..." (the first line of "Yellow Submarine." -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:02:50 +0000 Subject: RE: 2034/6 Sorry, I'll be up on Venus building the new Ceasar's Las Venus hotel in preperation for TMBG's 2040 tour (maybe you can get me an absentee ballot?) =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ David Lapides david@specs-usa.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:04:19 -0400 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: NYC & FS thoughts >I'm guessing that the NYC lyrics were purposely written that way to be >really sappy. These 3 gals (refering to Cub or whoever they are >refering to) seem to be just overwhelmed and in love with NYC and this >has brought a new height of sappiness as sometimes can be seen >especially in new relationships. NYC has given them this great >inspiration and joy and well, yes they may seem cheesy, but it does >seem to fit. >Matt I totally agree. I guess, for me, this is the weakest track on the album. One word describes it "S-A-P-P-Y". It does fit on the album but, IMHO, this is the most un-TMBG song they ever wrote. Too straight-forward, unless I'm missing something, and very very pop. BTW, I LOVE the rest of the album. My final assessment of FS is: "That was delicious, what else do you have?" (one for the sci-fi fans - place this quote). :) No really: FS makes six albums of great music with only a handful of "sub-par" songs. This is more than most of my other favorite groups combined. I guess I'm doomed to be a "Giant-Head", at least until their next album. ;) I tried to dislike but I just can't. I heard all the negative statements before I heard it and I still think it's great. I don't base my opinions on "It has to be good it's TMBG". Sorry negative guys. >I command everyone out there to listen to the Demo Tape version of You'll >Miss Me. It's like a different song. The lyrics are really good, too. >Joshua Hall-Bachner You're wish is my command Joshua. Now if I can only get a copy of it. ;) Erik Chuss "How am I supposed to let you know the way I feel." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:15:14 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: Eric I personally don't see why they even need another guitarist especially in studio. I think that John and John have proven that they can handle the musical load themselves many a time, and though I can see the desire to add a drummer and a bass player (and horns) I don't think an extra guitarist really adds much, except gratuitous guitar licks which just draw out the endings of songs. Eric seems to facilitate Flans' desire to rock out more often than they used to. Of course as far as I'm concerned they always rocked out anyway without the need for this somewhat heavier rock sound which I don't think TMBG have managed to integrate very well with what they inherently do. I think the larger band sound was excellently put to use on John Henry, and I think that the reason the "rock" songs on FS are weaker than the ones on JH are because A: The songs are somewhat less interesting and varied B: Paul Fox is an excellent producer and knew how to create a fascinating sound. I mean, I do like SEXXY (and I am a big fan of the 70's funk sound it possesses) but pales before the monolith...er, I mean, something like Sleeping In The Flowers or Out Of Jail surpass it. I guess my concern is that the rock songs on FS seem less sure of themselves than the rock songs on JH. As far as brilliance goes, saying something is brilliant is a big compliment to bestow on something. I believe John and John are brilliant, and I believe their music is brilliant. I believe their career has so far been spectacular. More than half of the songs on FS are songs I consider worthy additions to the TMBG catalog. I have reservations about the others which does not preclude me from enjoying them and thinking they are still great songs. But for me, as a whole, FS is not brilliant when compared to their previous records. I think TMBG fans see a term like "not brilliant" and take it to mean I think it is crappy. Not at all. When we talk about TMBG records, we're on a SCALE OF EXCELLENCE. FS is an excellent record, yes, well worth owning with much to offer. It's just that as far as the record goes as a whole, certain individual songs notwithstanding, the record does not plumb as many new musical depths as previous records. I think it can be very valuable to find out why some people feel this way. I think to add to this discussion one must provide personal insight beyond "I like it" or "I hate it." If you do like it, if you do think it is brilliant, tell us why. This provides insight into the many varying reactions of TMBG's music among its fans. There is no reason to take sides or get angry. Ruprecht for example has been very hard on FS but he has also told us why, and that has added a valuable insight into the discussion. We may not agree with him but at least he told us why he feels a certain way. Others have not, and coming down on him for it adds nothing. I don't think Ruprecht really wants to tell other people what to do or how to feel. He does believe he has something important to offer to the FS discussion and I think we all do...it may be easier to send posts like what song you heard on the radio today, or your TMBG dream, and that's fine, we all do that, but when a new record comes out it is the culmination of 2 years of waiting on our parts and months of work on TMBG's part and it only seems right that it would spawn a large amount of discussion on how every one of us feels about the record. So, I'll just sum up my feeling about it: Like all of TMBG's albums it is very strong and beautiful, I just happen to like it less than the other records AS A WHOLE. If anyone wants to nail me for daring to say I like it less than something else, go right ahead. I will say I can certainly see how some of you may feel the whole thing is brilliant, not only because TMBG surpass most other music around, but because the way something makes you feel may be impossible for anyone else to understand, try as you might to explain it. We are all exceedingly complex people and any truly stimulating music will affect all of us in often entirely different ways...which is why, as John and John say, there is no right or wrong. I've been humming SEXXY despite my reservations about it. I still feel Your Own Worst Enemy is the album's masterpiece...which was a surprise to me since in concert I never thought the song distinguished itself. But on CD it comes alive and I do think it is so beautiful. Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:26:49 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: beatles references > Speaking of the Beatles, what does everyone think are Beatles > refrences/simmilarities in Their songs? Hmmmmmm. Well, there's nothings gonna change my clothes(replace "clothes" with "world"). I think it's been speculated that The End of the Tour is about the beatles, with the tour being the magical mystery tour, and the girl on WLSD being, obviously, lucy. And that car accident in the song sounds like a "paul is dead" reference to me. And I've always thought Narrow Your Eyes sounded like a Paul McCartney song. Oh yeah, and I think a while ago someone brought up the fact that the strings in XTC versus Adam Ant sound like Eleanor Rigby. There's probably some others I forgot about, but it's a start. And while I'm here, I'll do taht desert island thingy. TMBG: Lincoln TMBG: Self Titled(not pink, or blue. Just self-titled) Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the moon Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense REM: Automatic for the people REM: Eponymous Phish: A Live One Eels: Beautiful Freak U2: Achtung Baby Beatles: White Album Wow, I just realized that almost nothing connects my musical tastes. Strange. Bye. -- "Get out of the car. Put down the phone. Take off that stupid looking hat you wear." -They Might Be Giants "They say I'm mental but I'm just confused"-Eels Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:24:34 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: Re: that Nickelodeon show doofus wrote: > > >but i first saw, heard of, watched, whatever they might be giants on > nickelodean when iwas >7...i got my first album when i was nine...anyway > back to nickelodean anyone remember the >name of that show???? tmbg was > always had the #2 video to things like walk like an >egyptian or debbie > gibson or other crap.....anyways what was the shows name??? > > Clarissa Tells All? Rumor has it that she had a TMBG poster over her bed or > something, too. > > -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage Yeah,, it was a meatal sign of the Flood symbol. It was really cool. Wish I knew where the show got it. Trillian ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: NYC & FS thoughts Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:32:08 -0400 (EDT) > this is the most un-TMBG song they ever wrote. Too straight-forward, unless The only thing is, They didn't write it. Unless you mean the very minor changes in a couple words in the song (ie Dylan for King Kong). > >I command everyone out there to listen to the Demo Tape version of You'll > >Miss Me. It's like a different song. The lyrics are really good, too. Actually, I don't like the demo tape version. I can't remember how the lyrics were different(if they are) but as far as the music goes it's not all that wondeful. The beginning reminds me of that song "Ceeeelebrate good time, come on!" Who sang that song? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:40:24 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: Top Ten Albums - Skip If You Like GenevaIf I was enjoying a lovely stay on a remote desert island for the rest of my life, I'd bring the following ten albums, I think I'd like it just fine. (alphabetical order by album title): Add It Up - Violent Femmes Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five Bookends - Simon and Garfunkel Operation Ivy - Operation Ivy Revolver - the Beatles Rubber Soul - the Beatles The Very Best of - Elvis Costello and the Attractions Then : the Early Years - They Might Be Giants Wake Up and Smell the Ziggens - The Ziggens Wildflowers - Tom Petty Do your ears a favor and go out and purchase every single one of these albums. Thanks for reading this. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: rockin Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:38:44 -0400 (EDT) I think flans has a desire to rock out and therefore picked up Eric. I think he likes the big show and thus decided to get someone to do the solos. it'll be interesting to see if he continues to do this or if htis was just one of the many things they wanted to dabble in just because they have the talent to do whatever they want. Also on NYC, I can see why Flans wanted that, and I bet Linnell liked it a hell of a lot too. For one thing it is their hometown which they love to death. Also, they are in this rockin out mood so you can see why Flans says in concert "this song has 3, count em 3 guitar solos!" I agree that the song is relaly cool by Cub and while the lyrics may be sappy, these sappy lyrics probably hit home for these guys from Brooklyn. Now if they hated NYC they probably wouldn't cover it ;) Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: that Nickelodeon show Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:46:45 -0400 (EDT) > doofus wrote: > > > > >but i first saw, heard of, watched, whatever they might be giants on > > nickelodean when iwas >7...i got my first album when i was nine...anyway > > back to nickelodean anyone remember the >name of that show???? tmbg was > > always had the #2 video to things like walk like an >egyptian or debbie > > gibson or other crap.....anyways what was the shows name??? > > > > Clarissa Tells All? Rumor has it that she had a TMBG poster over her bed or > > something, too. > > > > -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage > Yeah,, it was a meatal sign of the Flood symbol. It was really cool. > Wish I knew where the show got it. there was also another poster in the corner by her bed. It was a dark one but had both Johns pictured on it. It's fairly hard to see. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:08:28 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: TMBG is comming to SF! They Might Be Giants is cooming to San Francisco on November 20th! I'm SO THRILLED! Is anyone one else from SF and going? -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Misc. From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:41:25 EDT >Is Viper an actual name of a car alarm (in "I Can Hear You")? I'm >getting faint recollections about the movie "Robocop" which, I'm >almost >sure, had a commercial-spoof about a car security system that actually >zapped the burgler with enough electricity to make him a smoking >carcass. >And I seem to remember a snake in the logo of that commercial, and I >almost even remember it being called Viper. Am I high, or did this >really happen? Viper is a type of Car alarm, one of the best. and you can probably get your own system for aroun $1000. Viper car alarms do say exactly what John says in ICHY. Vipers are really funny, try going through a parking lot and see how many viper systems you can set off. And don't worry, they don't electricute you. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:44:45 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: NYC & FS thoughts On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > >I command everyone out there to listen to the Demo Tape version of You'll > > >Miss Me. It's like a different song. The lyrics are really good, too. > Actually, I don't like the demo tape version. I can't remember how the > lyrics were different(if they are) but as far as the music goes it's not > all that wondeful. The beginning reminds me of that song > "Ceeeelebrate good time, come on!" Who sang that song? > Matt That would be Kool and the Gang, another desert island fave among TMBGers I am sure. Of course I always had trouble figuring out which one was Kool. Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:05:36 -0400 Subject: Fwd: that Nickelodeon show In a message dated 96-10-18 16:55:29 EDT, mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: << > Clarissa Tells All? Rumor has it that she had a TMBG poster over her bed or > > something, too. > > > > -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage > Yeah,, it was a meatal sign of the Flood symbol. It was really cool. > Wish I knew where the show got it. there was also another poster in the corner by her bed. It was a dark one but had both Johns pictured on it. It's fairly hard to see. Matt >> NO ITS NOT!!!! in one episode,the camera held its spot on the poster for like 10 minutes!!it is of jon and jon,both holding accordians (and flans has a little guitar too). its really cool. also in the first episode,someone told me she talkes about them and has a little cartoon of them!!! 8 ) --------------------- Forwarded message: From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Reply-to: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: 96-10-18 16:55:29 EDT > doofus wrote: > > > > >but i first saw, heard of, watched, whatever they might be giants on > > nickelodean when iwas >7...i got my first album when i was nine...anyway > > back to nickelodean anyone remember the >name of that show???? tmbg was > > always had the #2 video to things like walk like an >egyptian or debbie > > gibson or other crap.....anyways what was the shows name??? > > > > Clarissa Tells All? Rumor has it that she had a TMBG poster over her bed or > > something, too. > > > > -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage > Yeah,, it was a meatal sign of the Flood symbol. It was really cool. > Wish I knew where the show got it. there was also another poster in the corner by her bed. It was a dark one but had both Johns pictured on it. It's fairly hard to see. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:17:15 EDT >(3) Flansburgh is dead. If you play "Birdhouse In Your Soul" >backwards, >you'll hear "Flans is dead. Miss him. Miss him." is this true or are you making this up??? (I'm to lazy to go and get my Flood CD and listen.) ________________________________________________________ This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please use the above address ________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: La La La La bloopity bloopity blop! From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:17:15 EDT Just to cause total chaos and be declared an evil radical. Here's my 7 pesos on TMBG. Songs I really like: NO ORDER! How can i sing like a girl Metal Detector I can Hear You Exquisite Dead Guy O. Do not Forsake me Spy (including the end of the song) No one knows my plan Subliminal Theme from flood Racist Friend(the trumpet solo) Letterbox They Might Be Giants (the song) Twisting Hide Away Folk family Don't let's Start (All above song titles' spelling subject to mutilation) so, there. that wasn't so hard was it? And ever since i've been making it, i also love Minnimum Wage. ________________________________________________________ This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please use the above address ________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Eric Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:56:24 -0500 (EST) Mike Rose writes: > > I personally don't see why they even need another guitarist > especially in studio. I think that John and John have proven that they > can handle the musical load themselves many a time Yes they can usually "handle the load," but do keep in mind that they have brought in many guest musicians over the years, including guitarists. > the desire to add a drummer and a bass player (and horns) I don't think > an extra guitarist really adds much, except gratuitous guitar licks which > just draw out the endings of songs. I personally think that gratuitous guitar breaks are the surest sign of the downfall of decent music as we know it. They are pure evil incarnate. m@t (and I play guitar...) ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Prejusticed People Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:58:59 -0500 (EST) > > >Speaking of the Beatles, what does everyone think are Beatles > >refrences/simmilarities in Their songs? > > Well, the first half a line of "Toddler Hiway" Y'know "In the > morning sun..." always reminds me of "In the town..." (the first line of > "Yellow Submarine." > Funny, it always reminds me of "In The Year 2525," by Zager and Evans... m@t ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:02:52 -0700 To me, and I may be showing my age, the song "Pet Name" sounds exactly like a Steely Dan song.... (even more so than Squeeze IMHO!) .......Charles Box ...babble@ix.netcom.com .....'hopelessly fighting the devil futility .........feeling the monster climb deeper inside of me ....feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily...' ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 19:13:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Is It Wrong to like Unsupervised more than FS? Howdy all, After owning and listening to both Mono Puff's Unsupervised and Factory Showroom for a week now, I have run into a weird situation. Simply put, I like listening to Unsupervised more than FS. Its not that I don't like FS....in fact, I hold it up with Flood, A18 and Lincoln as some of their best work. However, I just REALLY like Unsupervised and the whole Mono Puff sound? Am I the only one who was encountered this? As it is, even though the worst news I could hear would probably be that TMBG broke up, I get the feeling that it might not be so bad. I personally think that both John's do some pretty good stuff even when they are seperated. As it is, I think Unsupervised is a great album, and I think some of Linnell's stuff (i.e. State Songs) is also good, and he could probably do stuff just as good if he went all out and formed an other band. And then, we'd have twice the amount of stuff coming out. Essentially, I don't want TMBG to break up, but I just think we can take some comfort in the knowledge that they'd both still put out great music. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:22:30 -0500 (EST) > > > >(3) Flansburgh is dead. If you play "Birdhouse In Your Soul" > >backwards, > >you'll hear "Flans is dead. Miss him. Miss him." > > is this true or are you making this up??? (I'm to lazy to go and get my > Flood CD and listen.) > Every word on this list is pure gospel, son. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Bow Wow Woof Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:19:31 -0500 (EST) > > Annabella Lwin was born on October 31, 1952. In 1982 she would have > been 30 years old. > > Hmm, very interesting if true. She certainly didn't look it. Perhaps the story that she was a minor (supposedly fifteen) was just a nice little piece of marketing hype by Malcolm McClaren? I do recall that her being "underage" made quite a stir when she appeared "nude" on an album cover (Last of the Mohicans?), but I never heard the above statistics. m@t [who seems to have been duped by a long-lived UL] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 19:54:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: You'll miss me, with effigies... Almost managed to ruin my copy of the 1985 demo tape while trying to record the excellent version of "You'll Miss Me" onto the computer for upload. Shit. Matt James: >coolness, I'd like to compile a list of who wrote what songs, so >everyone, send me any messages if you know (for sure) who wrote a >particular song. Check the "who sings what" list. I know someone said that J&J sometimes switch positions, but (a) John Flansburgh is an incorrigible liar when it comes to this kind of stuff, and (b) some pretty obvious patterns show up when you look at who sings which songs. >The most varied >section of the album (other than fingertips) is this sequence: >Dinner Bell >Narrow Your Eyes >Hall of Heads >Which Describes How You're Feeling >See the Constellation Exactly! You've got a happy, slightly silly "classic TMBG" song with whimsical lyrics that actually talk about something serious; a quite un-TMBGish ballad about a fucked-up relationship; a standard piece of TMBG psychedelia with a great instrumental intro leading to a fun and slightly macabre vocal part; a pretty straightforward bit of voiceplay; and a rockin' jam with clever lyrics. >My god, where do you live to have to get FS at $31??? Australia... >Ok, having mostly only read about the song "S-E-X-X-Y", I have a >question: How is it pronounced? Is is pronounced like the word "sexy" or >do you actually SAY "ess-ee-eks-eks-why"? Is there a "correct" way? Es-ee-ex-ex-wy. "Es hyphen ee hyphen ex hyphen ex hyphen wy" is going a bit too far. This is how it is pronounced in the song itself, so it would stand to reason that it would be pronounced that way in the title, as well. >Is Viper an actual name of a car alarm (in "I Can Hear You")? Yep. They had cheesy commercials where a thief would try to break into a car, and a cheap looking computerized snake would rise up and scare the thief away. It really does say "This car is protected by Viper." >Get Away, in my opinion is a brillant song, it sounds so much like a dream >sequence it's almost scary... 'cause nothing makes any sense... love the >"bill collector's drinking lighter fluid" part. The first time I heard it, I got this whole mental image of this poor, early 20th century-style family singing the song and everything. It was neato. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 21:30:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: Unidentified DAS and #TMBG info Hi, I asked a while ago if anybody knew of a DAS with the lyrics: "What is everyone looking at? What is everyone staring at?" and then apparantly something about "haven't they ever seen people in love..." I heard it a cpl weeks ago, and can't find it in the lyrics archive. A friend of mine on #TMBG also heard it and we both really love it. Anybody else know about this song? Also, I have been improving my EFnet #TMBG Home Page a bit. It now includes a server list among other things. So you IRC newbies can get onto IRC and talk to other TMBG fans...check it out: http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:20:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-285 Hey all!!! For all you East Lansing-ite members of the list (and I know that there's at least one of y0u out there) at Where House today I was the girl up front in the red flowered shirt next to the insane guy who was jumping up and down. For those that weren't there the show was pretty fun. Being in the front row at a TMBG thing was pretty fresh and an experience that I reccommend to anybody that can do it, especially in a small venue like a record store. (And better yet is when, like today, it's FREE!!!) Any Australians out there, please drop a line- I have to figure out if any of you are people that I know. Not that there are many people in the great Down Under that I know, but hey, it's worth a try. (Chris- it's me! I miss you!) Back to the show... They started with You're Older Now Than You've Ever Been Before, then went into some stuff off the new album (S-E-X-X-Y, James K. Polk, and How Can I Sing Like A Girl) and the classics Particle Man, Birdhouse in my Soul, WDTSS, et al. That pretty much finished off the set. And they played one random "request" which was actually just a title pulled off the shelf completely at random. The scary thing was that they did it pretty well. Well that about does it for one of the most adrenaline-producing events of my shortish existence... Have fun with all your new and exciting thoughts. *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza Nicolaou \ "We apologise for the inconvenience." enicolao@scnc.waverly.k12.mi.us / *-- ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ------------------------------ From: colino@powerup.com.au Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 02:37:46 GMT Subject: Prices in the land of OZ Hi every one. Josh was lucky to get it at $31 Australian. Mine cost me $34. You've got to remember we in the land of Oz have some of the most expensive prices for cd's in the world. I am currently upgrading my extensive record collection to CD. Had to pay over $25 Aus (around $21 US) for most of the stuff I have bought. I am liking the sound of vinyl more each day:) By the way FS howls. Not as good as Flood and Lincoln, but better than the truly bad John Henry (whoops I hope I have not said the wrong thing there *gulp*). ColinO "let me tell you about the illusion of freewill" Sheriff Buck ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:39:09 -0400 Subject: Re: You gave me a Pet name... x(7) Because Flansburgh is a fat rock star, and therefore sucks. I realize you meant this in jest (I hope?), but Gawd people, why does everyone continue to bring up Flans' weight? First of all, he isn't really that fat. (He just looks that way next to Linnell, who would blow away in a strong wind) Second... why should it matter? Criticize his songs if you absolutely must, but let's not get superficial. x(3) Flansburgh is dead. If you play "Birdhouse In Your Soul" backwards, xyou'll hear "Flans is dead. Miss him. Miss him." Heh heh. Anyone remember that awful newsgroup thread about how Flood and Apollo 18 supposedly prove Flans is dead? The person built up an elaborate scenario beginning with Flood, in which Flans is killed in a car wreck that they claimed is played backwards in Hearing Aid. Now he's Dead. A18 asks "Who's that playing the guitar?", who's his replacement. Continued with Dig My Grave, some of Turn Around, and "I was in the sky, all dressed in black." You get the point. It was hard to keep contain the flame. :) x(2) The Ladies Love Linnell, of course. We can't help ourselves. That accordian playing is soooo sexy... :) --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:46:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Can someone help fill in the blanks? Metal Detector by They Might Be Giants Each chord is four beats or one full measure. A slash means halve that. A dash means hold the chord another measure. (note: this is the notation most of the files on the ftp site used back when I got the chord files from there) Intro: Is this part the C#m / F# progression? It sounds funny that way. G / C D G / C D Down at the shore there's a place where there's no one vacationing G / C D there's just the sound of the call of the wild overcoming the Em Ebm fear of the unknown (each chord is actually played twice for one quarter note each time. listen to the song and it'll be obvious what I mean) C#m / F# C#m / F# and I've got something to help you understand C#m / A C#m / Ab something waiting there beneath the sand: C#m / F# C#m / F# C#m / F# C#m / F# My metal detector is with me all of the time E A / B E - / B E I'm the inspector over the mine A C#m Look past the volley ball ? E Look past the squawking gull A? C#m? Ebm? Ignore the mountain of discarded falderal and I've got something to help you understand something waiting there beneath the sand: My metal detector is with me all of the time I'm the inspector over the mine E / A B / E Metal detector: watch it shine G / C D G / C D Every seashell has a story to tell if you're listening G / C D but underneath every shell there's a story as well if you've C ? ? heard enough of the sea G / C D G / C D then everything on the top will just suddenly stop seeming interesting G / C D G so listen now to the sound of the things that are found underground |: C#m / F#m :| E / A B / E - Don't need no volley ball Don't need no squawking gull Don't need to look at any bathing beauty doll for I've got something to help you understand something waiting there beneath the sand: My metal detector is with me all of the time I'm the inspector over the mine *------------------------------------ Thanks for any help you can provide. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:51:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Prices in the land of OZ > By the way FS howls. Not as good as Flood and Lincoln, but better than the > truly bad John Henry (whoops I hope I have not said the wrong thing there > *gulp*). You know, I'll admit that at first I didn't like John Henry as much as their previous albums. Actually, I still don't like it as much as some of the others, but it did have one thing that makes it infinitely superior to Factory Showroom: Horns, baby, HORNS!! Did anyone else notice this missing from the latest release?? -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 19:48:35 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: what are the last words in metal detector? Hey! You guys are brilliant when it comes to this song interpetation thing! Please help us with this one............... We have decided that Metal Detector is about a guy that is in love with his metal detector..Too simplistic you say? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:02:30 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: desert islands and such On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Melissa Cowan wrote: > Thanks, you're absolutely correct. You are the first person who has > commented on my .sig and knew where it was from. I'm an official MSTie, > #72305, and have friends who have started going Mitchelling. That's > where you just yell Mitchell at people, most of whom stare blankly at > you wondering if you're crazy. Very few understand you if you just > happen to state "Mitchell" or "the haunting Torgo theme" or such things. > > Trillian > I knew where it was from, and I too thought it hip. I am also a MiSTie, #14672, and I carry my card wherever I go. I also have a cut-out of Joel's head! I am a true Joel-phile, I never really got into Mike. Unfortunantly, I don't get any of the stations that re-run the classic MSTs...sigh. Mitchelling sounds too fun- I should try that sometime. I shall wrap ti up with a quote: "It's a turtle, Kenny! Get a mit and catch a clue!"- Crow, "Gamera" *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 20:01:38 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: The last words on Metal Detector (part 2) ? Sorry we really need a desk for this typing! The lap is just not the perfect desk, I dropped the keyboard and sent the message again! As I was saying...The last sentence in Metal detector is not in the official lyrics(we just checked) and we think John L. says "My metal detector, I'll protect you' Then John F. (possibly)says "all the time" hence the theory that this guy is pretty involved with his metal detector. They are more than just friends!!! Are we nuts? What do you super-lyric-sleuths think???????? Are those the words? Go play it NOW and tell us!!!! Thanks, Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 23:10:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: TMBG Music Hey, here's a thought. To whoever it is who's making chord transcriptions of Their songs (Good on ya, BTW) How bout you make 'em all into a file or something, then give it to Leo to put up on the .org site? Good idea, I think. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 23:26:31 -0700 From: jenn Subject: sheet music? anyone? anyone? hi everyone, i'm sure this has been mentioned before, but does anyone have sheet music for any TMBG songs? i want to work on one (for the piano), but i'm not having any luck finding stuff. jenn _____________________________________________________________________ The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 23:40:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: sheet music? anyone? anyone? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Oct-96 sheet music? anyone? anyone? by jenn@voicenet.com > i'm sure this has been mentioned before, but does anyone have > sheet music for any TMBG songs? i want to work on one (for the piano), > but i'm not having any luck finding stuff. The sheet music for Birdhouse was printed in England when it was popular back in 1990, but according to John, it's no longer being printed. A friend of mine had a copy and let me borrow it for a while. I memorized it and then gave it back. :) Other than that, there is no sheet music available. Just what we can figure out and post, etc. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG at Wherehouse From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 01:05:55 EDT Greetings, I went down to Wherehouse records today after not skipping my 7th hour (big mistake). The place was packed by the time They came on and I was only in the middle. I don't think I saw the girl in the flowered shirt, but I must ask, do you happen to go to Wally Pleasant shows? This show was especially cool because it was only John, John and Brian. People were yelling out "JOHN!" all the time, so I felt I must yell out "BRIAN!" 8 or 9 times. Here's the set as I remember it: Older: Supercool, the best song on FS, still. Linnell was playing the second guitar part on his accordian (ACCORDIAN!!!) and it was real fucked up, but still cool. The audience seemed to dig it, even though none of them had ever heard it. Meet James Ensor: This was really great for one major reason. At the point at which there is usually keyboard with guitar playing, Linnell just started singing "Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo," very cool. New York City: This song was marginally improved from the album version based solely on the lack of "blazing guitar solos" to quote Flans. How Can I Sing Like A Girl: This was neat. Ana Ng: Really neat. I couldn't tell what they were saying at the "painted on a bridge" part but it definitely wasn't "I don't want the world"... S-E-X-X-Y: Flans commented that they would probably have to stop half way through this, but when they got done he said some thing like "We're to fire our bassist," jokingly of course. Bird House In Your Soul: You know this got the Floodies cheering, very cool, there's been lots of improvement (well, not so much improvement as addition) on the accordian parts of this song. Cowtown: I was surprised as hell. James K. Polk: Proof that our 11th was the best. Linnell said "this a song about a president" as the music was starting and I yelled out "Polk" and he said, "in fact it's our only song about a President." Stump the Band: First they encouraged people to steal from the record store then They played "For Your Love" by Yes... Really well played until Flans broke into the rock out ending, which was the way the song goes, but he sorta fucked up, I guess. He claimed that "that's the way we play it"... Why Does The Sun Shine?: Aside from a lack of lyrical improvisation, this was the very best version of this song I've ever heard. Flans (Or maybe Linnell) said they were gonna do it like Trini Lopez. The spoken parts came out like you'd expect to hear in a poetry club. The music sounded like a sort of Latin/Regae version of the real way. This show was my first ever TMBG show. This renewed some of my faith in TMBG. It was also one of the Free-est concerts I've ever been too. I feel sorry for people who went to see Hootie and didn't know about this. I realize I had better seats and probably just as long a set. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:20:40 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: HCISLAG - Solved! Secret is out! Kinda! Well, there I was... Blissfully dancing in the shower and singing How Can I Sing Like A Girl... and suddenly... just as I reached "Howwwwwww can I...." Someone turned on the cold water tap in the kitchen... and as searing hot water showed my sensitive pink body... the remaining lyrics "...SING LIKE A GIRL?!?!?!?!?!" came out painfully high and girlish... of course this was immediately followed by me turning around beating the shite out of the shower head with the shampoo rack to defend myself from the boiling hot onslaught... But! For those few words... I reached girlishly high notes thst even Mariah Carey would be jealous of... And now... as I gently rub ointment over the burns acroos my hide I can say unto John & John... I, Lincoln Damen, have sung like a girl. +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:35:45 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: Bottom Five Songs - Skip If It's Not Your Bag Hello. However difficult the task may be, I've compiled my five most skipped over TMBG tracks. (No order at all. Utter chaos) S-E-X-X-Y - Yawnsville. Siftin' - I'm going to doze off now. Wake me up for Larger than Life. (She Was A) Hotel Detective (Hairdooz Album) - Just bad news. Track 13 - Neat the first time. Now it's just irritating. Theme From Flood - That which dares to keep me from Birdhouse. There you go. I'll bet your life will be better because you had the chance to read that. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:41:27 -0700 From: Herne Subject: re: trillian aka Melissa's Bow Wow Wow query Yes Bow Wow Wow's biggest hit was I WANT CANDY which is a cover I think. Other known tracks were Louis Quatorze, C30 c60 c90 Go, and DO YOU WANT TO HOLD ME which was on MTV a lot in the early early days...if memory serves and it probably doesn't. Herne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:54:51 -0700 From: Herne Subject: re:Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs Good Heavens! Gordon Lightfoot!...and obscure gordon Lightfoot at that. I guess there maybe someone on this List who is older than me besides Kathleen. I bow down to you sir for this rtandom choice and for being random enough to have strong feelings for bothThey and the man who wrote Sundown. Herne ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-286 ******************************