Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-287 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 287 Sunday, 20 October 1996 Today's Topics: Clarissa, Viper anecdote, MST3K, and Tape? A TMBG Review - What Linnell has meet james ensor... Viper Re: top 10 cds for desert islands Re: mental imagery Re: that Nickelodeon show Re: Myster Science Theater 3000 Re: 2034 New York City? Get a rope... TMBG in SF??? TMBG forever! Mulling over FS. Re: New York City? Get a rope... Eeee!!! Info club! about nickelodean Know any good X-Files pages? Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) Re: Know any good X-Files pages? 10 Years Of TMBG TMBG: Top 5s and the Listees who made them TMBG: .Sigs? TMBG: Miscellaneous... TMBG: Re: Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs TMBG: Re: Viper TMBG: Re: TOP FIVE FINAL RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: Re: Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs TMBG: repeat TMBG: Re: What key is Particle Man in? TMBG: Re: top idea for HAIR TMBG: Re: MAN NOBODY ELSE LIKES MY STUFF!!!! (THIS GUY RULES...) TMBG: Re: Fwd: that Nickelodeon show TMBG: OREGON!! they'll be here. Re: TMBG: Re: What key is Particle Man in? TMBG: Hootie & TMBG TMBG: A Fan of TMBG Proclaims His Approval of Factory Showroom Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 03:27:25 -0400 Subject: Clarissa, Viper anecdote, MST3K, and Tape? Hello 41- Clarissa- I said something to somebody about the Clarissa thing before... I recall she also had a large Flood poster above her bed of the little Flood sign. My brother said there is an episode where she talks about TMBG for awhile. Viper- I remember one day I was walking through a parking lot. I walked past a car, and it tells me to "Stand back, this car is protected by Viper". I just started laughing, and talking back to it. "Oh yeah Viper, whatcah gonna do about it huh?". Then I left. Mike vs. Joel- I never really got into Mike either, but then I met him. He is a really neat guy, and really wants to carry on the "spirit" of MST3K. He, and Mrs. Forrester also signed my picture of them. The show tonight (last night, whatever) sounded really neat! I haven't heard new versions of some of those songs, and I thought Stump The Band was retired. Anyone make a tape of it? Hope so... Adam ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: A TMBG Review - What Linnell has Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 08:24:44 -0500 I was just searching for THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS and found a review on www.2launch.com/giants.html it says linnell has layrigitus (sp?) and i am not done reading it... i think it's pretty cool... GO THERE! _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 12:17:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: meet james ensor... Um, just wondering, where does the vibraphone appear in Meet James Ensor? On tmbg.com, there's a picture with a caption about Brian Doherty doing the vibraphone track for MJE. I can't hear it... of course, I don't know where to listen for it. Can anyone hear it? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 12:32:55 -0400 (EDT) From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Viper OK here's me question. If they can't print the lyrics fer NyQuil Driver cause of NyQuil, and they can't print the lyrics fer Til My Head Falls Off cause of Asprin, then how come they can print the lyrics fer I can Hear You when it mentions Viper? Huh? Huh? Did someome already ponder this? I've got approximately 300 e-mails that I haven't read. Salivating Bej, Brother JohnBejezus see Bej! go to http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9677 hopefully that works :) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:02:12 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: top 10 cds for desert islands > and i have yet another observation based on a previous message to make. > someone stated that they took themselves off the digest and subscribed to > the list and then returned to digest because they were receiving too much > mail. i did the exact opposite, i took myself off the digest and > subscribed to the list because the size of the digests would intimidate > me into not reading them. i don't mind reading every message, but i > couldn't handle the digest. oh well, it's just an observation, folk. I had the same problem. I went to the digest, but after spending an hour reading one message (okay now I'm FIFTEEN percent through the message, only 20 minutes later!) and I've got a time limit on my online service. I think it's much easier to pick up where I left off the next day instead of trying to read one humongous message. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:08:36 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: mental imagery > hey all! > i just noticed that someone's .sig quotes "turn around" and i was > wondering if anyone else got the same mental imagery from it that > i do: > > i was out by myself in the graveyard > i was doing an interpretive dance > when i felt something heavy and pointed > strike me in the back of my neck > > i am picturing the something heavy and pointed as one of the old-fashioned > triangle (and heavy! in most cases) shaped metronomes. anyone else > get this? :) I'm sorry to say, all I got from the song was the unimaginative image of a shovel. > may They be with you. Wouldn't have it any other way. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:12:18 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: that Nickelodeon show > >but i first saw, heard of, watched, whatever they might be giants on > nickelodean when iwas >7...i got my first album when i was nine...anyway > back to nickelodean anyone remember the >name of that show???? tmbg was > always had the #2 video to things like walk like an >egyptian or debbie > gibson or other crap.....anyways what was the shows name??? > > Clarissa Tells All? Rumor has it that she had a TMBG poster over her bed or > something, too. No, it was Tiny Toon Adventures. They were doing a sort of MTV parody, and both Istanbul and Particle Man were made into videos. Well, they were made into CARTOON videos with Plucky Duck and such.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:18:10 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: Myster Science Theater 3000 > I love Mystery Science Theater, those at Comedy Central who cancelled it > must die at my hands. Those who deamed my community unworthy of having > MST3K the Movie, appear in theaters must also die by my hands. MST3K its > not an attitude its a way of life. MST3K breaks all ethnic barriors. > MST3K leads to inner peace and harmony. MST3K will provide for the > continuation of the human species after nuclear holocaust Didn't the Sci Fi Channel pick up MST3K? If so, does anyone know what time it's on? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:18:52 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: 2034 > This isn't directly related to TMBG, but I'm (obviously) a fan.. and > just wanted to announce.. > I'm running for President in the year 2034!! > Here's my slogan. > > * Vote for me! It's my birthday! * > catchy huh. > so.. whos voting for me? Can't. It's my birthday too.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 13:22:44 +0600 From: doofus Subject: New York City? Get a rope... >>I'm guessing that the NYC lyrics were purposely written that way to be >>really sappy. These 3 gals (refering to Cub or whoever they are >>refering to) seem to be just overwhelmed and in love with NYC and this >>has brought a new height of sappiness as sometimes can be seen >>especially in new relationships. NYC has given them this great >>inspiration and joy and well, yes they may seem cheesy, but it does >>seem to fit. >>Matt >I totally agree. I guess, for me, this is the weakest track on the album. >One word describes it "S-A-P-P-Y". It does fit on the album but, IMHO, >this is the most un-TMBG song they ever wrote. Too straight-forward, unless >I'm missing something, and very very pop. BTW, I LOVE the rest of the album. Look, there are two possible scenarios for this song: a) you believe it, or b) you think it's complete crap. In the first case, it's really cool, and in the second case it's funny as hell. I, personally, am overcome with laughter by the time they hit "Everyone's your friend in New York City." I can't understand how someone could possibly be so dense as to think that TMBG is adopting this as their own style or something--it's obviously there for the near-fatal fun factor. For those who missed it in an earlier post by some random person, the Cub song is available in RealAudio at: http://www.io.org/~cygnals/cub/cubhome.html >I tried to dislike but I just can't. I heard all the negative statements >before I heard it and I still think it's great Sir, are you perchance white and fleecy? Do you nibble heather in your spare time? Are you, in a nutshell, a mere sheep? Go forth and form your own opinions! (Especially since they agree with mine. FS rocks.) -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 22:30:46 -0700 Subject: TMBG in SF??? Colin Ferm wrote: > They Might Be Giants is cooming to San Francisco on November 20th! I'm > SO THRILLED! Is anyone one else from SF and going? Is this TRUE? Can you confirm this? Where did you hear this? When do tickets go on sale? If they're coming to SF, are they coming to Sacramento? If this is true, I'm THERE! Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 13:32:07 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG forever! >As it is, even though the worst news I could hear would probably be that >TMBG broke up, I get the feeling that it might not be so bad. I >personally think that both John's do some pretty good stuff even when >they are seperated. As it is, I think Unsupervised is a great album, and >I think some of Linnell's stuff (i.e. State Songs) is also good, and he >could probably do stuff just as good if he went all out and formed an >other band. Even though they may come out with great stuff individually, I think we should all join hands and think real hard, "TMBG forever, TMBG forever..." If they were to break up, they might end up psychologically damaged and unable to write ever again. Of course, they may just get *more* psychologically damaged and write that much better. >And then, we'd have twice the amount of stuff coming out. Essentially, I >don't want TMBG to break up, but I just think we can take some comfort in >the knowledge that they'd both still put out great music. I kind of like the status quo: we get TMBG, Flans on his own, and Linnell on his own, all at once. (If that sentence makes sense to you, see a doctor immediately.) >Justin Higgins - Terraflopping Terraflopping? I assume your mean *Tera*flopping, or performing trillions (Trillians?) of floating point operations per second. *Terra*flopping is, alas, merely throwing yourself ungracefully to the ground. If you could do both at once you may get some kind of medal, though... -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage ------------------------------ Subject: Mulling over FS. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 14:44:31 EDT I just noticed something. The line "full bottle in front of me" in YOWE sounds a whole lot like "full frontal lobotomy" jumbled up and then the support for that is "I get paid / In the brain." Probably not what Linnell was after, but very cool after all. Michael Rose is very right about this song. FS Update: Songs I can bare to listen to fully: S-E-X-X-Y How Can I Sing Like A Girl Exquisite Dead Guy Your Own Worst Enemy Spiraling Shape James K. Polk (I got the crowd cheering for the "Independent Treasury" line at that show I just went to) Pet Name (still sounds exactly like Ben Folds Five, though) I Can Hear You The Bells are Ringing (though I might just stop it 30 seconds near the end) Which really only leaves 3 tracks I find complete intolerable. Till My Head Falls Off would be alright if I could hear past the rock music to the words. New York City would be alright if it weren't on the album. XTC vs. Adam ant would be ok if I could get past the first 30 second of Eric and if it had slightly more interesting lyrics. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 14:53:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: New York City? Get a rope... Hello everyone, Just some comments on NYC. I like it. When I first heard it, it occured to me that it might be meant sarcastically, making fun of all those poppy 'the whole world is perfect' kind of love songs. (I mean come on "Everyone's your friend in NYC, Everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty." - how could you take that seriously) THe Cure once did the exact same thing - they wrote a poppy love song just to make fun of poppy love songs (Friday I'm in Love). Unfortunately no one figured this out even though Robert Smith said so, and the song got real popular because of it's poppy sound. Anyway, I tend to think that TMBG would not do such a sappy-sounding song without it having some other meaning. Take it easy, -Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:14:14 -0700 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Eeee!!! Info club! I got mail from the info club! Now I'm gargling with joy! It has all the lyrics (even UMHFO!) on one of those little boxy things that you can cut out and the t-shirts and singles and hello club and stuff linnell wrote about being on a plane and i'm very ecstatic.=20 I'm wondering what size an XL is like since most of the t-shirts are XL only, and i'm definitely _not_ XL... are the shirts just big or something? giant shirts?=20 Well, I'm off to order everything on vinyl :) --- Hexagon /=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF Braham Ketcham += hexagon@salamander.com =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF\ | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher and I want to | | raise my freak flag, and never be alone." --- They Might Be Giants | \__________________ http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon/ ____________/ ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 16:18:34 -0400 (EDT) Subject: about nickelodean Organization: West Virginia Network yeah clarissa did have a flood poster which was neat but that wasnt the show. the show was nick rocks or something like that. whoever said tiny toons ins't right for two reasons...first off i think it was originally a fox show and i actually got to watch those lincoln, pink videos...... does anyone know anything about this australian album i found???? anyway......you can find official live they on the live at mountain stage collection CD's. (mt. stage is on public radio also from my home state :) as an interesting aside PHISH rules live.....if you have a chance go and see them they are very impressive sam ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 13:26:54 -0700 From: Herne Subject: Know any good X-Files pages? I've noticed some of you guys are X-Files fans and I was wondering... There are zillions of X-Files pages out there and I was wondering which ones were any good. To me "any good" means... 1.)Up to date news and gossip re:plot lines 2.)Detailed episode guides and behind the scenes stuff. 3.)Quality graphics and pictures (this is not as crucial as #1 & #2) Also if there is a digest similar in form to this one out there I'd love to get on board. Post to the list or e-mail me at---Herne@earthlink.net. Thanks, Herne ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:33:02 -0500 (EST) Okay, this is going to be uncharacteristically mean-spirited and embittered, but I just have to know (although I'll probably regret it as it breaks my own "Cardinal Rules for Posting"...) > > I just noticed something. The line "full bottle in front of me" > in YOWE sounds a whole lot like "full frontal lobotomy" > Not to gripe about anybody in particular, but I pointed this out a few times quite a while ago (albeit in a rather subtle way). I'm not trying to soak up any credit - it's a pretty obvious association with a pretty old joke. Nobody seemed to notice, though. Then some people began to associate it with that "Existential Blues" song (which did *not* originate the joke!). That was discussed for a while, then died down. Now people are still just making the connection...? I can accept that anything put forth with any degree of subtlety will be lost on many of the list readers (most of the subtleties in TMBG lyrics certainly seem to be), but when things are mentioned explicitly several times, I would hope that people would start to clue in. And yet we still see things which have been discussed to death recurring anew here. For instance, "Hey, I just found out that there's a secret track on FS!" and "Did you know that there's going to be a TMBG boxed set?" Any day now I expect another "I just heard that TMBG are opening for Hootie and the Blowfish, but I don't believe it because they would never do that!" Judging from observation, it's not all new subscribers who simply missed the original threads. Don't people read the messages on this list? m@t [who is grumpier than he's ever been] ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Know any good X-Files pages? Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:43:53 -0500 (EST) > > I've noticed some of you guys are X-Files fans and I was wondering... > > There are zillions of X-Files pages out there and I was wondering which > ones were any good. > While it is true that people with good enough taste to enjoy one excellent thing will often mutually enjoy others as well, this would really be more appropriate for the newsgroup... However, I read that group occasionally and am always shocked and saddened by the preponderance of dimwits there who are incapable of stringing together even the most major of plot points in any coherent way, so I understand why you might turn here. I would recommend the Ubersite: http://www.rutgers.edu/x-files/ It meets some of your criteria and will link you other fine sites. Now I'd better stop writing until I'm in a cheerier mood... m@t "All done. Bye-bye." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 17:11:29 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: 10 Years Of TMBG Well, I have this friend and we agree on music sometimes (mainly movie soundtracks) and I have wanted to make him a TMBG compilation for a long time. I waited until I had all the albums on CD and now that I have Factory Showroom, which puts a cap on 10 years of studio recording, I felt the time was right. It was difficult to decide which songs not to include, obviously, but there were some good tunes I did not have room for. I made up the set list as I went along, based on which song I thought would work next. I had one simple rule, which was not to place 2 songs from the same album in a row. I broke that rule once. You may also see a pattern within the first six songs. At times it was difficult not to worry about whether or not this guy would like the song I was planning to use next. That is to say, I did not want to use songs I felt he would like just cause I felt he would like them. I wanted to use songs that I liked, and if he doesn't like them, to hell with him. I think you all know what I mean. Think of it in the context that he does not own any TMBG and probably just humours my love of them. So I had to keep the integrity of the project rather than tailor it to some imaginary idea of what he would like it to be. The tape contains 44 songs, and here are the tracks: Dig My Grave, Letterbox, Mr. Me, Meet James Ensor, Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head, Exquisite Dead Guy, Turn Around, Twisting, No One Knows My Plan, Particle Man, Absolutely Bill's Mood, Ana Ng, New York City, Hall Of Heads, Birdhouse In Your Soul, Sleeping In The Flowers, I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, Mammal, Stomp Box, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Dead, Minimum Wage, The End Of The Tour, Piece Of Dirt, She's An Angel, See The Constellation, Metal Detector, Snowball In Hell, Lucky Ball And Chain, Out Of Jail, Alienation's For The Rich, Spider, Till My Head Falls Off, Cowtown, I Blame You, Hypnotist Of Ladies, Your Own Worst Enemy, Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes, I Palindrome I, 32 Footsteps, Why Must I Be Sad?, Santa's Beard, Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon, Window. The tape rolls out with "Come on, and wreck my car." I did not include Dinner Bell or A Self Called Nowhere because he already has these songs on previous tapes. New York City was my only concession to my friend, I figured he'd like it. I like it too, and I liked it as a contrast to the previous song, so I put it on. My only regret is I had no room for I Can Hear You. Otherwise I think this is a good compilation. I'm sure some of you will wonder why I did not include Statue. Well, I just didn't. That's all. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna give this tape to him. I have a feeling he will listen to it once absently and then put it somewhere. Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 14:40:45 -0700 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Top 5s and the Listees who made them My server kicked this message back at me so if it gets posted twice forgive me... Regarding Dragon Lord's objection to top 5 Lists... I disagree with the assumption that Top 5 lists don't contribute to serious discussions about TMBG music. They do. all posts shed light on the music and the people on the list who talk about TMBG. For example, I get the impression from the List and Top 5's that most of the Listees first heard TMBG when Flood came out and that they were in High School or junior high at the time. Now they are in college (note: all the .edu addresses). I also get the impression that the Listees are a very intelligent group who don't get too hostile (except during John v. John debates---but I'll skip that subject for now). I also get the impression that many of you are East Coasters but maybe that's just me. I grew up in Rhode Island but I currently dwell in the L.A. area. As for me, thetop 5's sent me back to the old cd's and made me think more about the old tunes whereas I might not have otherwise. Incidentally I've since flipped my #1 & #2 Least favorites. Hot Cha is now the worst. At least YOU'LL MISS ME had some great lyrical content...i.e."you'll see my teeth in the stars above." Well that's my belated two cents worth on the matter. Post about whatever you want...it doesn't make you a less "serious" fan because you want to make a list of favorite songs. Till the next one, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 19:08:53 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: .Sigs? Sorry bout posting this here...but I've noticed people speaking of .sig file things...I was wondering are these what you are using to have random sayings in you signitures? If so...could someone help me set one of those up... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 58^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 19:08:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Miscellaneous... First off: Let me just apologize to Ruprecht once again for my last message. It was, well, stupid. I won't do it again. Ruprecht has actually been much, much better than a number of people from the newsgroup at respecting other's opinions. I was wrong here, and I'm willing to admit it. If someone wants to flame me now for my obnoxious comments (one of you who hasn't already, that is), I'm right here. Sorry, Ruprecht. I screwed up. Thanks for not completely beating the virtual crap out of me. :) >>I command everyone out there to listen to the Demo Tape version of You'll >>Miss Me. It's like a different song. The lyrics are really good, too. >>Joshua Hall-Bachner > >You're wish is my command Joshua. Now if I can only get a copy of it. ;) As soon as I can get the &%#* stereo close enough to the @&$% computer so that I can record from the tape player directly, I'll put it up on my webpage as a WAV. (If anyone out there wants to help and convert to AU, I'd appreciate it...) > I've been humming SEXXY despite my reservations about it. I still >feel Your Own Worst Enemy is the album's masterpiece...which was a >surprise to me since in concert I never thought the song distinguished >itself. But on CD it comes alive and I do think it is so beautiful. The thing about YOWE is that at first it seems kinda bland and silly. But as you listen, the lyrics and music really distinguish themselves. The second verse, in particular, is incredibly well-crafted, lyric-wise. The subtle commentary on alcohol is really well done. >Also on NYC, I can see why Flans wanted that, and I bet Linnell liked it >a hell of a lot too. >Also, they are in this rockin out mood so you can see why >Flans says in concert "this song has 3, count em 3 guitar solos!" That's HCISLAG you're thinking of, not NYC (which only has that one solo, at the very end.) And speaking of which, listening to NYC's solo, and then to any of Eric's solos (Lyle Workman of Mono Puff plays the NYC solo) is quite an interesting contrast. A tight, fun to listen to solo vs. a bunch of squealing, annoying solos that get in the way of the music. Hmmm. >Hi, I asked a while ago if anybody knew of a DAS with the lyrics: > >"What is everyone looking at? What is everyone staring at?" > >and then apparantly something about "haven't they ever seen people in >love..." That song just premiered on DAS 2-3 weeks ago when it went back up. Nobody seems to have a name for it other than "What are they staring at?" >I realize you meant this in jest (I hope?) Yeah. My top 10 list was a satire of the comments I've seen regarding Flans vs. Linnell on the NG and list. Number 6: >(6) Because Flansburgh is a fat rock star, and therefore is secretly Frank Black. is based directly on a review of the House of Blues show, where someone complained that some "fat rock star" came onstage to sing a song. Hmmm, I thought, where have I heard those words before... /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ From: ERobyn260@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 19:43:12 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs Herme wrote: Subject: TMBG: Re: Viper Date: Sat, 19 Oct 96 20:16:11 18000 > > OK here's me question. If they can't print the lyrics fer NyQuil Driver > cause of NyQuil, and they can't print the lyrics fer Til My Head Falls Off > cause of Asprin, then how come they can print the lyrics fer I can Hear You > when it mentions Viper? Huh? Huh? Did someome already ponder this? I've got > approximately 300 e-mails that I haven't read. > Salivating Bej, > Brother JohnBejezus > Sigh! 1. It's Advil you mean, not Aspirin. Aspirin isn't copyrighted. 2. Where are you talking about the lyrics to I Can hear You being printed, I sure as hell don't have ANY words with MY CD. If you mean www.tmbg.com, they do have the lyrics to Till My Head Falls Off up there, you just have to know how to get to them. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: TOP FIVE FINAL RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From: milktoast@juno.com (Ian C Tanttari) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:21:48 EDT In a different dimention, This was spoken On Sun, 27 Jan 1980 21:06:52 -0800 Kathleen Jo Faulconer writes: >Okay, It is finally here! The day you have all waited for! And those >of you that hate this can now rest easy. OH! Maybe not...now there are >4 >more threads like this! So this is what we came up with after hours of >work............read slow if you want the excitement to build!!! > >First I will say that there were an amazing 82 different songs named >in >choosing the top 5 favorites. It must mean something..... > >Secondly, the new songs that made it to the list are: >Metal Detector -4 votes >Spiraling Shape-4 >Until My Head Falls Off-4 >and the winner of the new songs is......New York City-6 votes! > >I will do a top 10 of the top 5 faves...If you sent in more than 5 I >took the first 5 because I figured that *subliminally* you wanted >those 5 first. Fair? OK LETS GO! > >10. Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon-5 votes > >9.A tie- The Statue Got Me High and NYC-6 votes > >8.Another tie! -Dinner Bell and Rhythm Section Want AD-7 votes > >7.A four way tie this time !- I Palindrome I, No One Knows My Plan, >Kiss Me, Son Of God and Puppet Head!!!! with 8 votes each > >6. Its Not my Birthday- 9 votes > >5. Don't Let's Start-10 votes > >Now the votes get considerably higher....... > >4. Birdhouse In Your Soul- with 15 votes (the number of votes for this > >song tripled right after the concert!) > > > >3.They'll Need a Crane- 16 votes (was way ahead of birdhouse until the > >concert!)hmmmmmmm....... > > > >2.Anna Ng- 22 votes (neck in neck with #1 for the last few days!!!) > > >HAVE YOU GUESSED YET??????????????????????????????????????????????? >**************AND*************************************************** >************************DRUM*****************************************************************************ROLL********************************************************************************PLEASE!!!!!!************ > SHE'S AN ANGEL!!!!!!!!!!! 24 votes > > > WOW!! We thought this song was just one of our families favorite >songs! It is not even near the top on that web rating thing!!! >You guys have great taste! Anna Ng was #1 on that web thing though. > >Well, we had fun! Anyone that remembers the (million?) other "top 5" >threads let us know if these results are different or the same as >before! DISCUSS! > >Sorry about the length.... I COULD tell you what the other 70 >something >songs were............no, I guess not. Thanks for playing along!!!! >Kathleen > ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Re: Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:40:32 -0400 (EDT) > Herme wrote: > > than > Why the astonishment that someone on this list picked GL as a favorite? I'm > in my 20's, and I love his music. He isn't obscure to the countless numbers > of people who still follow him. Great music just gets better with time. GL > rules!!! > > Erica, Kay's friend Moxy Fruvous (of Canadian fame) did a song called Gord's Gold (about Gordon Lightfoot, also of Canadian fame) and it's a good short song but I think it might be a parody of his music ;) (unfortunately, I've never heard the man's music unless I heard one of his songs and didn't know he wrote it). Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: repeat Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:42:11 -0400 (EDT) Why did Ian C Tantarri post the exact same that Kathleen Faulconer posted? There wasn't even a 1 line responce... Just wondering. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 19:44:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: TMBG: Re: What key is Particle Man in? On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I observed something strange the other day. As I was playing my > accordion along with various songs, I found that it sounded horribly off > key during the album version of Particle Man, but perfectly normal with > the live version. I was playing it in C, and discovered that on the > album it's in A. Anyone know why they changed it? Lawrence, a few things.... Is it possible that the live recording was slowed down, or sped up enough to change the pitch of the playback? As in, is the key change consistent throughout your whole live tape? or... Perhaps it's easier to them to sing in that key live, or easier to navigate hands on accordian keys... I mean, it doesnt get any easier than C major on an accordian. but... They probably are sick to death of that song, and were perhaps challenging themselves, by changing keys... I dont know... > > I think the same thing happens with Whistling in the Dark, except that's > in about 4 different keys on the album anyway... > Whatever... John ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 19:47:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: TMBG: Re: top idea for HAIR Knox Gelatin will make your hair stick up. love, John ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:03:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: TMBG: Re: MAN NOBODY ELSE LIKES MY STUFF!!!! (THIS GUY RULES...) On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, //R@sCaL\\ wrote: > The //R@sCaL\\ says: > Guys ya'll are trying to hard to figure out every single TMBG when you > can't simply because y'all aren't them. For example STOMP BOX is known > only to those who play guitar, by the way it doesn't suck if you > understand the message. But I have to say that Misc T wuz a great album > and would be my absolute favorite if it weren't for track 13. And John > Henry wasn't as bad as everybody seems to say it is. OH well not > everybody can be happy; > "You can't shake the Devil's Hand and say you're only kidding" > Um.... Learn the English language. I think you're on glue. John ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 96 22:46 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Re: Fwd: that Nickelodeon show > > Yeah,, it was a meatal sign of the Flood symbol. It was really cool. > > Wish I knew where the show got it. > there was also another poster in the corner by her bed. It was a dark > one but had both Johns pictured on it. It's fairly hard to see. > Matt >> > >NO ITS NOT!!!! in one episode,the camera held its spot on the poster for like >10 minutes!!it is of jon and jon,both holding accordians (and flans has a >little guitar too). its really cool. also in the first episode,someone told >me she talkes about them and has a little cartoon of them!!! 8 ) Yay! Now I have something to amuse myself with when the little monsters I babysit insist on watching twelve hours straight of Nickelodeon. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 19:56:36 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: TMBG: OREGON!! they'll be here. hi, all.. if anyone is in oregon and is going to the la-luna show nov.16 e-mail me or reply. there is a group of us fans going and would love to meet you all! raise your freak flag higher! |---------------------------| | grefin@cyberhighway.net | |---------------------------| But I'm thinking of a wooden chair In the room at the top of a stair And I'm looking down the stairwell At the vanishing dot On the map of the spot Let me take you there The dotted line Surrounding the mind Of a self called nowhere -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 23:31:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: What key is Particle Man in? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Oct-96 TMBG: Re: What key is Parti.. by Erik Swedberg@ece.utexas > Is it possible that the live recording was slowed down, or sped up enough > to change the pitch of the playback? As in, is the key change consistent > throughout your whole live tape? Nope. I watched it on the bootleg video and *saw* him play it in C... :) >Perhaps it's easier to them to sing in that key live, or easier to >navigate hands on accordian keys... >I mean, it doesnt get any easier than C major on an accordian. I doubt it. When I first learned to play Particle Man, and actually performed it for a group of people, I played it in A with no trouble whatsoever.... Actually, I think I even transposed it down a semitone. I'd expect the album version to be in Bb, since the instrumental part is played on a clarinet, and clarinets are tuned to Bb... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 96 23:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Hootie & TMBG Well, even though I just found out that I could've seen Them for free (actually probably not, cause the 'rents wouldn't have appreciated me skipping school) the whole Hootie thing was pretty nifty. I'd never seen Them live, so I was incredibly excited. If you don't feel like listening to a detailed description of my concert experience, bail out now. My group included me and my friends Rocky, Randy, Sarah, Kristen, Nathan, and Zhiling. Rocky, Randy and I are huge Giantheads, but the others weren't as rabid. We left Rocky's house in good old Alma, MI at about six thirty, and arrived, after getting briefly lost in E. Lansing, at the Breslin at about 7:45. We found our seats, 14 up (not too shabby) and then waited. We amused ourselves by playing "Gianthead or Blowfish?" and observing those around us. Finally, at a little after eight, They Might Be Giants appeared onstage. Here's the set: She's Actual Size The Guitar How Can I Sing Like A Girl Your Own Worst Enemy Birdhouse In Your Soul New York City James K. Polk SEXXY Spy/Istanbul They both seemed to be enjoying themselves, Flans was bouncing around and Linnell was dancing around while he played his sax. The Spy improv was *great*, I'd never seen it before (duh) but I thought it was awesome! He tried to get the crowd to yell, but people didn't catch on too well. Everyone I was with enjoyed themselves immensely, Rocky and I were nearly ecstatic to be there. We all ended up dancing in the aisle from Birdhouse on, and I'm almost sure the Johns waved at us! :) We were almost the only ones dancing - there was a group of people down a few rows to the right that danced, and one lady who looked like my english teacher was really gettin' down to SEXXY. Kristen can't wait to see Them when they come through on their tour, she really really likes Them now. We ended up staying for about 3/4 of the Hootie show (hey, Kristen and Zhi are fans, and I'm not totally against Hootie) but Rockford was getting antsy and since he was our ride, we thought we'd better go. All in all, it was a very positive experience. There were a few things I didn't like, like how half the people came in during TMBG and they all seemed to feel the need to stop right in front of me, obstructing my view. I wish the set could've been longer, of course, but I enjoyed about 29 minutes and thirty seconds of the approx. half an hour They played, so I think I got my money's worth. You know what though? I bet there were a few Hootie fans around us that aren't planning on sitting next to people wearing homemade TMBG shirts next time. :) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 22:21:19 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: A Fan of TMBG Proclaims His Approval of Factory Showroom > About that post----^ > A- : While your supporting paragraphs had good structure, your paper lacked > a good exposition and conclusion. (Sorry, it just sounded like something I > would be writing in english class.) Yow, I didn't even realized I was going to get graded on this thing! :-) Had I have known, I would've concentrated and written a full thesis. No, actually, that's the way I get sometimes... my posts have been know for getting ridiculously long and "well-thought-out"... even if they are about relatively whimsical and spontaneous subjects. But I'll take an A- anyday... As I've read through this list this past week, I feel the old comraderie is missing from when I was on it the first time. Well, that's not exactly true, I just noticed that a lot more people get easily offended than from when I remember. For instance, I feel like I'll get flamed just for saying this: Yes, I think Factory Showroom is brilliant! Sadly, I must now defend myself for saying this on a TMBG-list, in a new time when I have less friends and when friends seem harder to make. First off, I preface my thoughts with the statement that I am always objective. Even if it is TMBG, I do not expect what I hear to be great. Secondly, I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion and no one should be ashamed of his/her own. Having said that, I did not look particularly forward to hearing the new album only because I hadn't heard good new music in a while and I didn't care to look for any. My brother went out and got it, and I said, "Good, let's listen on the drive home." After I heard it, I smiled and said, "I love these guys." The album was _Delightful_. I laughed out loud at Exquisite Dead Guy and I Can Hear You. I thought Linnell was back in full swing. I thought, "Yes, they're back in form again!" And then came the real test. I never form a valid opinion until I've listened to something at least over four times. After considerable saturation... I still love it. People were ranking the TMBG albums. For me, Flood and Lincoln are virtually tied for first. FS has to be next, because I already prefer its mood to those of Apollo, Misc.T, JH, and the Pink Album (all of which I find countable minute flaws). So far, FS's main flaw is that it doesn't have enough songs. So I'll say it: this album is very fine. Why does this have to feel like such a bold statement?? And "New York City" is fun! Not TMBG-like? One of the best things about TMBG is that They are hard to define. The more unlike Them a song is, the more like Them it actually is. It was that quality which drew me to Them in the first place, that I never knew what to expect. FS expands on this, from the danceable oldies-ode Pet Name to the throwback-to-classic-Linnell Until My Head Falls Off and Your Own Worst Enemy to the self-contained irony of The Bells Are Ringing. Sorry, post too long again. Gotta go. ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-287 ******************************