Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-288 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 288 Monday, 21 October 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: MST3K????????????? TMBG: Hello Australians!!!! TMBG: Ba ba-ba ba ba ba... TMBG: $31 TMBG: What the hell? FS on the 18th? TMBG: TMBG in the land of OZ Re: TMBG: Top 5s TMBG: They & cub TMBG: THEY shirts Re: TMBG: Top 5s and the Listees who made them TMBG: Full Frontal Lobotamy TMBG: Re: Top 5s - a proposal! TMBG: Linnell's "evil twin"! TMBG: Re: A Fan of TMBG Proclaims stuff TMBG: Id#??? TMBG: Dial-A-Song: King Of Wingo? TMBG: Re: 10 Years Of TMBG, etc. MST3K, Justin Higgins, TMBG:, XL... TMBG: Nickelodeon shows & Gord's Gold Re: TMBG: They & cub TMBG: Wingo on wav TMBG: NYC Re: TMBG: MST3K????????????? Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song: King Of Wingo? Re: TMBG: Id#??? Re: TMBG: Re: Viper TMBG: Re: New York City? Get a rope... Re: TMBG: Nickelodeon shows & Gord's Gold TMBG: Info Club ID# TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. TMBG: Grades/Anyone in Wisconsin? TMBG: Factory Showroom crashed my computer. Re: TMBG: Info Club ID# Re: TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. TMBG: Here is a very interesting message that came across my desk...err...screen. Re: TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. Re: TMBG: Info Club ID# Re: TMBG: Grades/Anyone in Wisconsin? TMBG: Linnell.. TMBG: 2040 shirts TMBG: Re: New York City? Get a rope... TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) TMBG: flood, shirts TMBG: my friend,my friend,myyyy friend... Re: MST3K, Justin Higgins, TMBG:, XL... Re: TMBG: Wingo on wav Re: TMBG: MST3K????????????? Re: TMBG: Re: Viper TMBG: who are you Re: TMBG: Nickelodeon shows & Gord's Gold TMBG: Dunn/Fried experimental performance TMBG: Anyone ever heard of Colorado? TMBG: Metal detector lyrics? Can anyone help? TMBG: I am SOOOOO happy!!! TMBG: Re: TMBG in SF??? TMBG: RE:Mr. Mootrey and Gordon Lightfoot TMBG: Nickolodeon + TMBG = ? TMBG: live tmbg and primus.... Re: TMBG: Nickolodeon + TMBG = ? TMBG: Unrelated but with a forced intro..... Re: TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. TMBG: Dr. Spock's Backup Band TMBG: alex@tmbg.com Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:13:58 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: MST3K????????????? MST3K??????????? I'm still kinda new here so.......... What movie is MST3K??????????????????????????? Don't worry, I'll probably kick myself when ya tell me. +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:14:03 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: Hello Australians!!!! So... How many of you live here in Australia? Give us a yell, 'cause I'd love to actually meet a fellow TMBG IRL... We are so alone in this world... How 'bout lunch then eh? +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:13:55 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: Ba ba-ba ba ba ba... >>Today me and another kid from school were both singing I Am Not Your Broom > >and Exquisite Dead Guy during lunch. Having other TMBG fans at school is >fun. :) >EDG really lends itself to public annoyance, doesn't it? We were singing it >on the Metro all the way back from the D.C. concert. I don't think anyone >was as amused as we were. HA!!!! My girlfriend is constantly humming that, and everytime I catch her she calls me a bastard!!!! +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:14:00 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: $31 >Hi every one. >Josh was lucky to get it at $31 Australian. Mine cost me $34. You've got >to remember we in the land of Oz have some of the most expensive prices for >cd's in the world. I am currently upgrading my extensive record collection >to CD. Had to pay over $25 Aus (around $21 US) for most of the stuff I have >bought. I am liking the sound of vinyl more each day:) Got mine for $30... kiss my ass!!!! By the way... I wanna get all the TMBG singles I can... how good is the order system on the TMBG.com page thingy? Good idea? Or bad idea? +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:13:49 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: What the hell? FS on the 18th? > Anyhow, FS arrives in Australia today. Yay!!! > > 10000ft Septic > Ha ha ha hehe he he... I got my copy on the 9th... I wasn't expecting it till at least the 13th but I went into Rocking Horse asking about the S-E-X-X-Y single for about the 76th time... (see... I didn't know that it had been delayed) And as I was standing there in frustration with my girlfriend the guy behind the counter must of recognized me 'cause he went to a pile of new CDs and proceeded to carry two copies of FS to the shelves... My girlfriend screamed with delight(on my behalf 'cause she doesn't like Them much... yet) and pointed at the guy. I let out an almighty yell of relief and dived towards him, snatched a copy from his clutches and got it! Now.. I don't know where the hell you live but that's when I got it! +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 07:44:26 GMT From: Colin Osmond Subject: TMBG: TMBG in the land of OZ I'm from Brisbane in sunny Queensland. Don't worry Lincoln, there are quite a few of us in the land down-under. You got FS for $30. BASTARD. Colin "Let me tell you about the illusion of free will" Sheriff Buck ------------------------------ Date: 20 Oct 1996 11:43:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 5s Organization: puppet head On 20.10.96, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > I disagree with the assumption that Top 5 lists don't contribute to > serious discussions about TMBG music. They do. all posts shed light on > the music and the people on the list who talk about TMBG. Until you see those messages for the tenth time occuring on this list. These ugly threads just keep coming back... _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:40:19 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: TMBG: They & cub I just read on the cub home page that they will be touring with They Might Be Giants starting in November or December. john ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:12:52 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: THEY shirts Who was it that was asking people to get t-shirts for them? If there are shirts available, I could pick one up for you, but I need to know the size and type of shirt you'd like....I'm leaving here at 7pm... Will there be THEY shirts even though THEY are only opening for Hootie? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 58^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 5s and the Listees who made them Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:14:01 -0500 (EST) > I disagree with the assumption that Top 5 lists don't contribute to > serious discussions about TMBG music. They do. all posts shed light on > the music and the people on the list who talk about TMBG. > The "problem" is that Top 5 lists shed an enormous amount of light on the people on the list who talk about TMBG and very little or none on the music, typically. (You'll notice that the second paragraph gives examples only of the former and none of the latter: > For example, I get the impression from the List and Top 5's that most of > the LISTEES first heard TMBG when Flood came out and that THEY were in > High School or junior high at the time. Now THEY are in college (note: > all the .edu addresses). I also get the impression that the LISTEES are > a very intelligent group who don't get too hostile (except during John > v. John debates---but I'll skip that subject for now). I also get the > impression that many of YOU are East Coasters but maybe that's just ME. > I grew up in Rhode Island but I currently dwell in the L.A. area. >[emphasis added] If someone is rather more interested in the music than in the likes and dislikes of hundreds of listies, these low-content messages look mostly self-congratulatory. This is a family mailing list, but some Usenet groups have a term for this which roughly rhymes with exacerbation and supposedly makes the palms of your hands look like nearly any given square inch of Robin Williams's body... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:34:11 -0400 From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: Full Frontal Lobotamy >I just noticed something. The line "full bottle in front of me" >in YOWE sounds a whole lot like "full frontal lobotomy" jumbled up and >then the support for that is "I get paid / In the brain." Probably not >what Linnell was after, but very cool after all. Michael Rose is very >right about this song. I made this same connection.. I think it was Groucho Mark that had the old joke "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." So naturally when i heard "Full bottle in front of me" it was like a hidden double entendre. (pardon my french). I figure it is likening the numbness he is seeking through binge drinking to the effects of having the front of your brain cut out (as it is in a full frontal lobotomy). Just my $.02 Kris Maxwell "Well i guess that i'm gonna die no matter what..." ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Re: Top 5s - a proposal! Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:38:57 -0500 (EST) > > > I disagree with the assumption that Top 5 lists don't contribute to > > serious discussions about TMBG music. They do. all posts shed light on > > the music and the people on the list who talk about TMBG. > > Until you see those messages for the tenth time occuring on this list. > These ugly threads just keep coming back... > Well, some threads are insightful and informative and recurrence would be welcome. Other threads would be neither insightful nor informative even if they did not recur... The key point is, if you hang around an internet community such as this one for any length of time, there will be recurrent threads. That's just the nature of the beast. While it may be annoying to you, it is completely new to many other people. It only starts to become a problem when the recurring threads are largely frivolous in nature. On the MST3k newsgroup, they have begun setting up special webpages for these threads (e.g., Baconization) so that people who are discovering them for the first time can go there and see what has been discussed and leave their own little slices of wisdom on the subject without clogging up the newsgroup. (And if they decide that something on THAT group is frivolous, you KNOW it's a serious problem!) I am envisioning a TMBG Top 5 page, where people's Top 5s have been collected and tabulated, and anyone interested in discussing the topic could go and look, and fill out a form for their own Top 5 (which could be added to the running tally). Perhaps there would even be a little bulletin board area for those who don't feel that a list carries the same persuasive explanatory power as "I really like these songs..." Does this seem like a good idea? Would anybody use it? Would anybody volunteer to author such a page? I'm far too busy to do that right now, but I would be willing to whip one up over Christmas vacation if it seems like a good idea and nobody else has volunteered... m@t ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:49:31 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Linnell's "evil twin"! Is it just me; or does anyone else think that Fred Wolf (a writer on SNL, featured once in a while) looks a helluva lot like John Linnell??? And he even sounds a bit like him too!!! Anyone else think so? ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Re: A Fan of TMBG Proclaims stuff Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:57:20 -0500 (EST) > > As I've read through this list this past week, I feel the old > comraderie is missing from when I was on it the first time. Well, that's > not exactly true, I just noticed that a lot more people get easily offended > than from when I remember. For instance, I feel like I'll get flamed just > for saying this: > > Yes, I think Factory Showroom is brilliant! > > Sadly, I must now defend myself for saying this on a TMBG-list, in > a new time when I have less friends and when friends seem harder to make. Hopefully you won't get flamed, but then hopefully your message would say more than simply, "I think FS is brilliant!" What is at issue here are posts that merely project unsubstantiated opinions. You don't have to defend yourself, but if you need to share your opinion you really also need to include some supporting information with it. There was a time when people could chat idly here about personal things (like marriage:-), but the list seems to be growing lately. This means that messages with low information content can really start to become amplified in volume. It also means that when any of us submits a message now, it is going out to a lot of people, and many of them will start to become upset if the items filling their letterboxes aren't at least moderately substantive in some way. Obviously, not everybody will enjoy every topic of discussion that will spring up here, but when threads like "Top 5" start building momentum and becoming really high volume we all need to ask ourselves whether our message will really add anything at all to the discussion or whether we are just hopping on the bandwagon. We need to be courteous to the list community at large. It is my impression, at least, that the list is growing nicely. What are the latest stats on list membership? Leo? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 13:26:16 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Id#??? Quick question - On the order form for the tmbg.com pages there is a line requesting an ID# What's that all about? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:13:42 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Dial-A-Song: King Of Wingo? Hi everyone, I just called Dial-A-Song and heard a song that I guess is entitled King Of Wingo. I can only remember the chorus which goes: I am the King Of Wingo (Words I didn't understand) I am the King Of Wingo (More words I didn't understand) The strange thing was, that the person signing the song hardly sounded like either John. It could have been Flans, but I don't know. Has anyone heard this, and know what I'm talking about? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:23:23 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: 10 Years Of TMBG, etc. I read Mike's (the one from Totonot , I love that city!) thing about making a TMBG compilation tape for his friend.. I'm constantly making tapes of Them for friends who have other things in common, and then they end up thinking They are cool after hearing it. I just thought of my friend (we used to be best friends in 3rd grade, but that's another story), and she's constantly: "Who's They May Be Giants" (well, not exactly, but you catch my drift). And I think I'll make her a tape. I was thinking about getting Flood for her birthday (I know, I know, but I don't want to scare her off with something else, you know..), but I want to make sure she likes Them first before I spend $12 on her.. >Subject: TMBG: Re: TOP FIVE FINAL RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >From: milktoast@juno.com (Ian C Tanttari) >Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:21:48 EDT > >In a different dimention, This was spoken Hey, you quoted a really really long message, and didn't follow it with *anything*!!! You gave me a pet peeve, which is NOT to say I like it.. (I know Matt responded to it, but this email was all set to go..) >Subject: TMBG: OREGON!! they'll be here. Oregon is bad. Stop it if you can (I had to!). ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:23:18 -0400 Subject: MST3K, Justin Higgins, TMBG:, XL... >Didn't the Sci Fi Channel pick up MST3K? Yes, but I don't think they've begun airing it yet. You can still catch MST on Comedy Central on Saturday mornings. Enjoy it while ya can!! I actually get the Sci-Fi channel though, amazing.. >Justin Higgins - Terraflopping Eek! This quote has been 'terraflopping' in my head for *days*!!! Jeez, you guys know where my life is.. Hey, what's with TMBG: before all the messages? Oh wait, I know why! For the *list* people (I'm a digester myself). Good idea, Leo! ;) >I'm wondering what size an XL is like since most of the >t-shirts are XL only, and i'm definitely _not_ XL... Neither am I, but I always wear XL shirts. I dunno, I like to breathe. They're not incredibly huge. They shrink a bit too, in the wash.. I swear, the size of shirts has reduced, like everything else...Big Macs, salad dressing, mayonnaise.. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:23:29 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Nickelodeon shows & Gord's Gold okay guys, i have to straighten this all out, there seems to be a little confusion. there were actually 3 nickelodeon shows remotely mentioning TMBG: 1.) Clarissa Explains It All: she has 2 posters in her room, and talks about them in the 1st episode. 2.) Tiny Toons: the Particle Man and Istanbul videos. 3.) Nick Rocks: 80's music video show, which TMBG was once on. Maybe that clears some things up? >Moxy Fruvous (of Canadian fame) did a song called Gord's Gold >(about Gordon Lightfoot, LOL! That song makes me crack up.. it's so weird! I didn't even know it was about anyone.. it doesn't even make sense! "And I..wouldn't know..her ass..from a deep hole in the ground, lined with bushes and a fence..." >Now they are in college (note: all the .edu addresses) Well, *I'm* in 10th grade. ;) And I know at least 1 person who has .edu but it's a freenet account (she's also in 10th grade). ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:35:04 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They & cub >I just read on the cub home page that they will be touring with They Might Be Giants >starting in November or December. Their first show together is going to be at Roseland. Everyone who is going to Roseland can look for me and my purple hair (it's not a toupee) in the front dodging all the moshers and hoping that no one brings a broom up there. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:33:57 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Wingo on wav I just called Dial-A-Song again hoping I could get King Of Wingo on wav format, I did. However, about halfway through the recording, my older sister wanted to get into my room, and during the recording you can hear her pounding at the door and me going shhhhh! If anyone wants this recording, E-mail me ( cyberguy@netheaven.com ) and request it. I'll attach it to a piece of mail. The file is wingo.wav and is approximately 2mb. I had to increase the sound a bit to hear the song. Is anyone interested? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 15:00:46 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: NYC Hey there, I just got the TMBG Info. Club Newsletter yesterday. It has lots 'o' cool info. as usual, and all the lyrics to the new album "Factory Showroom"..... except for New York City. Why were the Lyrics to this song left out?????? *Curiousity killed the Cat* ~Sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:53:29 -0500 (CDT) From: "James @ MU" Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K????????????? On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Lincoln Damen wrote: > MST3K??????????? > > I'm still kinda new here so.......... > > What movie is MST3K??????????????????????????? > > Don't worry, I'll probably kick myself when ya tell me. > +Linc ; ) > > "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" > > Silly Boy! MST3K is Magic Snakes Traveling 3 Kilometers! ************************************************************************ *James @ MU, one of the many TMBG fans who think it's OK to change, but* *just doesn't really want to put up with Hootie. * ************************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:39:44 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song: King Of Wingo? > Hi everyone, I just called Dial-A-Song and heard a song that I guess >is entitled King Of Wingo. I can only remember the chorus which goes: You can get the lyrics for King of Wingo from www.tmbg.org. The Johns are singing the song, but they are using some strange voices, cf. Window. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:43:49 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Id#??? > On the order form for the tmbg.com pages there is a line requesting an ID# >What's that all about? That's your Info Club number. If you're not a member of the Info Club, leave it blank. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter-- they probably just left it there because it was already on the printed catalogs. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 17:12:50 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Viper On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > > OK here's me question. If they can't print the lyrics fer NyQuil Driver > > cause of NyQuil, and they can't print the lyrics fer Til My Head Falls Off > > cause of Asprin, then how come they can print the lyrics fer I can Hear You > > when it mentions Viper? Huh? Huh? Did someome already ponder this? I've got > > approximately 300 e-mails that I haven't read. > > Salivating Bej, > > Brother JohnBejezus > > > Sigh! 1. It's Advil you mean, not Aspirin. Aspirin isn't > copyrighted. Well, he could have sang "There were 87 ibuprofin in the bottle" but that doesnt' seem nice. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:23:19 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Re: New York City? Get a rope... "do you nibble heather in your spare time?" no nibbling on the Heather, please.. without permission!! ~ Heather ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 96 17:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Nickelodeon shows & Gord's Gold ~sarah wrote: >>Now they are in college (note: all the .edu addresses) >Well, *I'm* in 10th grade. ;) And I know at least 1 person who has .edu but >it's a freenet account (she's also in 10th grade). Ditto here, only I'm in eleventh grade. Tah-dah! -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 17:33:16 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Info Club ID# just got my first info club mailing (Actually two of them; I had called the 800 number to sign up, and apparently they couldn't distinguish my Cs from my Zs), but anyhow, I guess my ID# is right above my name on the label. Another thing... Is the Hello club worth the money? and which years are the best? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:51:52 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. Hey guys! I went home for the weekend, and just finished reading very nearly 100 messages.. so I'm going to add to it all and post myself.. gosh darnit! Anyways!!! About this whole Clarissa thing! Friday I was watching "nick in the afternoon" as I so often do.. and someone had wrote in requesting the first episode of Clarissa Explains It All.. so they aired it! I recorded it thanks to the gossip here, and it does mentione TMBG! She is telling how she likes the John without the glasses of TMBG.. and there is a little cartoon of them in blue suits on the left side of the screen. Linnel is kindof jogging.. I guess because he's the one she likes. It also clearly shows the poster and the flood sign. About brooms!!! Yesterday.. my boyfriend, Richard, and I were at Toys R Us (as usual, I love that place) looking for sea monkeys and I saw that they have child like play brooms! They're about 2-3 feet long and very cute.. even come with a dustpan. They are also pretty cheap.. running about $3. Wouldn't this be cheaper.. and safer.. and funner? comments? About the Johns! Is Linnel pronounced Lynn L? OR LINel? Does anybody understand? Heather "I was out by myself in the graveyard.. I was doing an interpretive dance..." ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Grades/Anyone in Wisconsin? Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 17:01:51 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck Kirsten worte: > ~sarah wrote: > >>Now they are in college (note: all the .edu addresses) > >Well, *I'm* in 10th grade. ;) And I know at least 1 person who has .edu but > >it's a freenet account (she's also in 10th grade). > > Ditto here, only I'm in eleventh grade. Tah-dah! Yikes, 10th and 11th grade! Let's see, that means that I am in the 18th grade. (Six years of college and I still can't get out of here. Change your major four times and I guess that is what happens. *sigh*). Now, a question: Is there anyone out there from the Madison, WI area that's gonna Them at the Coliseum on Oct. 30th with Hootie? It would be kind of cool to meet some people from the area that are into Them. Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu ftp life.com http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck ftp>Connected to life.com ftp>get life 550 life: no such file or directory ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:16:30 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom crashed my computer. This is kind of weird. For some reason whenever I put FS into my CD ROM, my computer freezes and the CD has to be forcibly ejected by hand. This happens before the CD begins to play, even before the computer acknowledges that there is a CD inside. I have tried this a bunch of times and it happens every time. Sometimes once I have ejected it (with a paper clip inserted into a small hole next to the CD drive) I get a box on screen saying "This disc is unreadable, do you want me to initialise it?" Then it ejects. Most of the time once I have it ejected I am unable to insert a new CD because the computer thinks the CD is still inside. All I can do is restart the machine. This does not happen with any other CD I've tried, only Factory Showroom. I have a Mac II vi which uses a CD caddy and not a tray. I am afraid to put FS into my CD ROM again because when I do my computer becomes 100% useless. (Though I am sure some of you out there think Macs are useless anyway). Fortunately I have another CD player and it plays FS just fine. Token Back To Brooklyn is represented on my CD player as part of track 1, with a fixed time of 0.00 until SEXXY begins. Hmm, maybe this is why it makes my computer crash. FOUR NEW STORIES on Mr. Flippy! Thoughts and ideas, it's all about thoughts and ideas. Mike http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:50:41 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: Info Club ID# > just got my first info club mailing (Actually two of them; I had called the > 800 number to sign up, and apparently they couldn't distinguish my Cs from > my Zs), but anyhow, I guess my ID# is right above my name on the label. what is the 800 number? > > Another thing... > Is the Hello club worth the money? and which years are the best? ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:50:41 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. > About the Johns! > Is Linnel pronounced Lynn L? OR LINel? Does anybody > understand? > the first one, I believe. as that's how I've heard Flans say it a few times. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Here is a very interesting message that came across my desk...err...screen. From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:58:37 EDT Subject: FYI FROM NONSPORT Author: Wayne Longacre at DOA-RETBEN Date: 10/16/96 3:28 PM FYI _________________________________ >=========================================================== >SCAM: Don't Respond To Emails, Phone Calls, Or Pages Which >Tell You To Call An "809" Phone Number >=========================================================== > >This is a very important issue of Internet ScamBusters! because it alerts you >to a scam that is: - spreading *extremely* quickly - can easily cost you $100 >or more, and - is difficult to avoid unless you are aware of it. We'd like to >thank Paul Bruemmer and Brian Stains for bringing this scam to our attention >- both will receive Internet ScamBusters! tee shirts. This scam has also >been identified by the National Fraud Information Center and is costing >victims a lot of money. > >There are lots of different permutations of this scam, but here is how it >works: > >Permutation #1: Internet Based Phone Scam Via Email You receive an email, >typically with a subject line of "*ALERT*" or "Unpaid account." The message, >which is being spammed across the net, says: > >---------------------------------------------------------- >I am writing to give you a final 24hrs to settle your outstanding account. If >I have not received the settlement in full, I will commence legal proceedings >without further delay. If you would like to discuss this matter to avoid >court action, call Mike Murray at Global Communications on +1 809 496 2700. >---------------------------------------------------------- > >Permutation #2: Phone Or Pager Scam You receive a message on your answering >machine or your pager which asks you to call a number beginning with area >code 809. The reason to you're asked to call varies: it can be to receive >information about a family member who has been ill, to tell you someone has >been arrested, died, to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc. In >each case, you're told to call the 809 number right away. > >Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return >these calls. If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $25 >per-minute! Sometimes the person who answers the phone will speak broken >English and pretend not to understand you. Other times, you'll just get a >long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone >as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get >your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $100.00. > >Here's why it works: The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin >Islands (the Bahamas). The 809 area code can be used as a "pay-per-call" >number, similar to 900 numbers in the US. Since 809 is not in the US, it is >not covered by US regulations of 900 numbers, which require that you be >notified and warned of charges and rates involved when you call a >"pay-per-call" number. There is also no requirement that the company provide >a time period during which you may terminate the call without being charged. >Further, whereas many US phones have 900 number blocking (to avoid these >kinds of charges), 900 number blocking will not prevent calls to the 809 area >code. > >We recommend that no matter how you get the message, if you are asked to call >a number with an 809 area code that you don't recognize, >investigate further and/or disregard the message. Be *very* wary of email or >calls asking you to call an 809 area code number. > >It's important to prevent becoming a victim of this scam, since trying to >fight the charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you >did actually make the call. If you complain, both our local phone company >and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most >likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign >company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have >done nothing wrong. > >Please forward this entire issue of Internet ScamBusters! to your friends, >family and colleaguesto help them become aware of this scam so they don't get >ripped off. Also beware of messages asking you to call area code 011. That >is the nternational access code and NOT an area code. > > > > --------- End forwarded message ---------- --------- End forwarded message ---------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:16:42 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. >> Is Linnel pronounced Lynn L? OR LINel? Does anybody >> understand? > >the first one, I believe. as that's how I've heard Flans say it a few >times. Correct. To clarify: 1st syllable - "Lynn" as in the name, *not* "Line." 2nd syllable - "L" like the lettern The second syllable is stressed. Hence the idea a few months ago that we all wear "Flannell" to concerts, with the accent on the second syllable. A beautiful conglomeration of our favorite Johns' last names. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:49:34 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Info Club ID# At 06:50 PM 10/20/96 +0005, you wrote: >> just got my first info club mailing (Actually two of them; I had called the >> 800 number to sign up, and apparently they couldn't distinguish my Cs from >> my Zs), but anyhow, I guess my ID# is right above my name on the label. >what is the 800 number? i was wrong. no 800 number. the number to call is in any tmbg cd booklet. ------------------------------ From: Moniquaaaa@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:01:49 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Grades/Anyone in Wisconsin? I don't live in Madison but I am going to the concert on Oct.30th with Hootie. This will be my first and I am very excited. I live in Northern Illinois and I can't wait for them to come to chicago. Monica ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Linnell.. Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:38:00 -0400 (EDT) > About brooms!!! > Yesterday.. my boyfriend, Richard, and I were at Toys R Us (as > usual, I love that place) looking for sea monkeys and I saw that they > have child like play brooms! They're about 2-3 feet long and very > cute.. even come with a dustpan. They are also pretty cheap.. running > about $3. Wouldn't this be cheaper.. and safer.. and funner? comments? yeah hehe, less chance of being wacked in the head, or if you do then it's not as hard ;) I saw Christy in DC wavin that sucker around like there was no tomorrow! ;) > > About the Johns! > Is Linnel pronounced Lynn L? OR LINel? Does anybody > understand? John Linnell's name is pronounced Lynn L as you said or with the accent on the second syllable LinNELL Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: 2040 shirts Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:40:11 -0400 (EDT) Does anyone know if the TMBG Tour in the year 2040 tour shirts are new or are they older? My gf got one in Philly (they didn't have any in DC I hear) but they sold out efore the end of the show. I really want to get one of those. It has these really old Johns on the back of it. I guess this is a sign of faith that they will tour till their bodies won't tour no more! hehe Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:46:59 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: Re: New York City? Get a rope... > Hello everyone, > Just some comments on NYC. I like it. When I first heard it, it occured > to me that it might be meant sarcastically, making fun of all those poppy > 'the whole world is perfect' kind of love songs. (I mean come on > "Everyone's your friend in NYC, Everything looks beautiful when you're > young and pretty." - how could you take that seriously) THe Cure once did > the exact same thing - they wrote a poppy love song just to make fun of > poppy love songs (Friday I'm in Love). Unfortunately no one figured this > out even though Robert Smith said so, and the song got real popular > because of it's poppy sound. Anyway, I tend to think that TMBG would not > do such a sappy-sounding song without it having some other meaning. Well, I th0ught I heard that They didn't write it. they only sung it. but it does have They're feel to it just a bit. I just think it's a cool song. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:52:07 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) > Okay, this is going to be uncharacteristically mean-spirited and > embittered, but I just have to know (although I'll probably regret > it as it breaks my own "Cardinal Rules for Posting"...) > > > > > I just noticed something. The line "full bottle in front of me" > > in YOWE sounds a whole lot like "full frontal lobotomy" > > > > Not to gripe about anybody in particular, but I pointed this out a > few times quite a while ago (albeit in a rather subtle way). I'm not > trying to soak up any credit - it's a pretty obvious association > with a pretty old joke. > > Nobody seemed to notice, though. Then some people began to associate it > with that "Existential Blues" song (which did *not* originate the > joke!). That was discussed for a while, then died down. > > Now people are still just making the connection...? > > I can accept that anything put forth with any degree of subtlety > will be lost on many of the list readers (most of the subtleties > in TMBG lyrics certainly seem to be), but when things are mentioned > explicitly several times, I would hope that people would start to > clue in. And yet we still see things which have been discussed to death > recurring anew here. For instance, "Hey, I just found out that there's > a secret track on FS!" and "Did you know that there's going to be > a TMBG boxed set?" Any day now I expect another "I just heard that > TMBG are opening for Hootie and the Blowfish, but I don't believe it > because they would never do that!" > > Judging from observation, it's not all new subscribers who simply missed > the original threads. Don't people read the messages on this list? Didn't They come out with some Factory Showboat album or something like that? =) Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: flood, shirts Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:51:30 -0400 (EDT) About shirts, My O'tannenbaum and New Years shi4rts are X-Large and I have a sinking feeling that my Meat Puppets TMBG shirt (with the weird strange guy on it), John Henry, and the other TMBG shirts I have are X-Large also. They feel like larges tho as most X-larges are usually way too big for me. About Flood, I was just thinking about Sarah from Rochester's post about getting her friend this album. This idea of getting friends Flood who don't know TMBG very well is a strange thing. I've seen a hell of a lot of people say this. Therefore, it would seem that Flood is the greatest album put out by TMBG hands down (I don't agree with this btw). I mean, if you are going to get someone into a group, you give them the best songs or the best albums to hear. You want to hook them. Why would you give them someting that is not as good and therefore risk them not liking the group. It is a very important thing to tape the right stuff for that person (as Mike Rose has shown in his hours of contemplation regarding his mixed tape). In the case of buying a CD for someone you cannot get a mixed CD, you have to pick one. But from what I seem to hear on the list, the general concensus seems to be that Lincoln is the most popular. Even if this might be true, it seems that Flood would not be the best. This confuses me. I know that a lot of people first heard TMBG thru Flood (which is also not my case) and some of their biggest singles were on that (ie the Tiny Toons promoted Particle Man and Istanbul) yet many on the list would not put Particle Man or Istanbul very high (I think this may have been show by Kathleen Faulconer's list of favorite songs by listies). So what do you all make of this? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:07:01 -0400 Subject: TMBG: my friend,my friend,myyyy friend... i am happy to anounce my friend has gotten his first TMBG album, factory showroom!!!!! here are his fav and least favs-- favs- token back to brooklyn metal detector pet name spiralling shape new york city (his most fav) least favs-- xtc vs adam ant james k polk and all the others he likes ok.he already got Mono Puff Unsupervised,and i think likes them better than tmbg,but im proud of the guy. and in response to taping tmbg for friends, DO IT! i taped lincoln for my friend in garden cityMIKE,then he asked for more,so in this order i taped him misc. t,apollo 18,and john henry. can you say "INSTANT GIANTS FREAK"?? he bought flood,apollo 18 the CD,and recently FS,he is insane on them now,almost as much as me!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:07:52 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: MST3K, Justin Higgins, TMBG:, XL... > >Didn't the Sci Fi Channel pick up MST3K? > Yes, but I don't think they've begun airing it yet. You can still catch MST > on Comedy Central on Saturday mornings. Enjoy it while ya can!! I actually > get the Sci-Fi channel though, amazing.. I only get the Sci-Fi channel, so I guess I'll have to wait. Durn. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:10:24 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Wingo on wav > I just called Dial-A-Song again hoping I could get King Of Wingo on > wav format, I did. However, about halfway through the recording, my older > sister wanted to get into my room, and during the recording you can hear her > pounding at the door and me going shhhhh! If anyone wants this recording, > E-mail me ( cyberguy@netheaven.com ) and request it. I'll attach it to a > piece of mail. The file is wingo.wav and is approximately 2mb. I had to > increase the sound a bit to hear the song. Is anyone interested? I'd be interested if it wern't for.. nevermind. I guess I am interested. But could you send it to hkefalas@psd.k12.co.us with a little explination attatched (like "Hi, your friend Dave wanted me to send this to you") thanx. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:12:37 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K????????????? > > MST3K??????????? > > > > I'm still kinda new here so.......... > > > > What movie is MST3K??????????????????????????? > > > > Don't worry, I'll probably kick myself when ya tell me. > > +Linc ; ) > > > > "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" > > > > > > Silly Boy! > MST3K is Magic Snakes Traveling 3 Kilometers! Trix are for Rabbits! MST3K obviously stands for Many Souviniers Throwing 3 Kibbles! Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:14:01 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Viper > > > OK here's me question. If they can't print the lyrics fer NyQuil Driver > > > cause of NyQuil, and they can't print the lyrics fer Til My Head Falls Off > > > cause of Asprin, then how come they can print the lyrics fer I can Hear You > > > when it mentions Viper? Huh? Huh? Did someome already ponder this? I've got > > > approximately 300 e-mails that I haven't read. > > > Salivating Bej, > > > Brother JohnBejezus > > > > > Sigh! 1. It's Advil you mean, not Aspirin. Aspirin isn't > > copyrighted. > > Well, he could have sang "There were 87 ibuprofin in the bottle" but that > doesnt' seem nice. Taht's what he's saying? I had the hardest time trying to figure out what he said. I thought it was "apples" or something.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:18:00 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: who are you I know that this will prob. annoy lots of people... but this whole 10 cds and stuff has made me curious about other peoples personalities and stuff.. so why dosen't everyone introduce themselves? you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) heather ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:15:28 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Nickelodeon shows & Gord's Gold > >>Now they are in college (note: all the .edu addresses) > >Well, *I'm* in 10th grade. ;) And I know at least 1 person who has .edu but > >it's a freenet account (she's also in 10th grade). > > Ditto here, only I'm in eleventh grade. Tah-dah! I'm much cooler than you all, for I'm a Junior. Wait, that means I'm in 11th grade also.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: Joshua Fried Subject: TMBG: Dunn/Fried experimental performance Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:25:04 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Joshua Fried/Douglas Dunn upcoming Dear Friend/Associates-- I'm sending this notice to a handful of friends, some people who asked to be informed by email, and a few select others whom I thought might be interested. If you recevie more than one copy, or don't want mailings like this, my apologies. Let me know and I'll take care of it. Choreographer Douglas Dunn and I will premiere a large-scale collaboration next month at The Kitchen (NYC). SPELL FOR OPENING THE MOUTH OF N Music: Joshua Fried Choreography: Douglas Dunn Design: Mimi Gross Lighting: Carol Mullins Text: Ruth Margraff Performers: Hope Clark, Dina Emerson, Lesley Farlow, Lisa Karrer, Gretchen Krich, Randolph Curtis Rand, Laurence Rawlins, Sheridan Roberts, Marlene Tholl, Susan Thompson, Claude Wampler... ...and DOUGLAS DUNN & DANCERS: Amy Baker, Janet Charleston, Derek Clifford, Georgia Corner, Grazia Della-Terza, Mark Drahozal, Douglas Dunn, Lennard Louissy, Edmund Melville, Kari Richardson. Thursday through Sunday, November 7-10, 8pm The Kitchen 512 W. 19th Street New York City Tickets $15 tel. 212/255-5793 The new work builds on my piece TRAVELOGUE and a group work I premiered at La MaMa this past Fall. In TRAVELOGUE, a single vocalist responds to pre- recorded voices played on headphones, with taped accompaniment; in our new work, multiple performers will sing, move and interact based on headphone input as well as on pre-set choreography, and the distinctions between actor, singer and dancer will be blurred. Since headphone-driven performance in this case depends on the element of surprise, some of the parts constitute one- time-only roles and thus there will be a substantially different cast each night. Our experiments so far have produced exhilarating results, and we see metaphoric links between our "instructed" interactions on stage and the interplay of cultural values in contemporary society. For those who don't know, Dunn is a highly-regarded innovator in the dance field, and is considered in the Cunnningham lineage. This season marks his 25th year as a choreographer. He is inspiring to work with (and funny too). We are of two different generations and two different fields: I am a "downtown" experimental composer and spent the better part of the '80s in the East Village performance art/club scene. (This work is made possible in part by the generous support of the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, The Mary Flagler Cary Trust Live Music for Dance Program, Meet The Composer's Composer/Choreographer Project, American Composer's Forum Composer Commissioning Project, the Harkness Foundations for Dance and private donations.) If you'd like more information, I can send along a copy of our press release. Thanks for reading. Joshua Fried jf@escape.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:22:44 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: Anyone ever heard of Colorado? Well, I'd hope you all have heard of it, being one of the numerous states in these United States. Anyway, have They EVER come to Colorado? will they be coming anytime soon? I'd love to see Them in concert, but it seems all They do is tour on the coasts. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:28:48 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: Metal detector lyrics? Can anyone help? So sorry if this is getting out to you guys over and over but, we have had a lot of problems getting mail. I will try again to ask this question for Sarah and I hope it shows up! We are really wondering if the last line on Metal Detector is "My metal detector I'll protect you" with John F. then saying "all the time". Its not on the "official" lyrics but its not the normal lyric for sure. We are wondering because we think this is a song about a guy thats "really involved" ;-) with his metal detector! What do you guys think it says? Again sorry if you have read this before but we couldn't get any mail off and on for a while. I hope thats over! And I hope you are not ALL mad at us for starting the dreaded top 5 thread again! Forgive us! Kathleen & Sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 23:22:24 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: I am SOOOOO happy!!! I just got back from the THEY/Hootie show here in Toledo and am soooo excited. I can't remember all that THEY played, but there is a logical explination for this.... I do remember THEY started out with: Older She's Actual Size Then, not necessarily in order: Birdhouse in your soul James K polk Particle man Sexxy New York City The Guitar Ended with: Spy - Trumpet solo - Istanbul I think that's everything...now for the rest of the story... The auditorium sounded really crappy....but it was THEY none the less... I took my broom in...no one stopped me :) ...sat up in the nosebleed section (hey..the tics were free!!!) ... saw many empty seats and sat much closer...still far away from THEY...I know THEY didn't see the broom...but the dire Hootie fans behind me certainly did (I made sure of it) When a few insisted that I put it down...I turned towards them and screamed... "You like THEY too...That's cool!"...they shut up after that... But now the real fun begins.... THEY finish - many people leave the building :^) - only a dozen and a half people wait by the nearby busses to get a glimpse of THEY - we wait for 15 minutes - THEY come out - we walk right up to them and actually touch THEM (I shook Linnell's hand!!!) - You see, someone (gee golly guess who :P ) had moved the caution tape out of the way - but none of THEM want to sign autographs - but we beg - two stay to sign one autograph each - I got ??? a DAN or DAVE Levie or Levis??? to sign my broom (I really can't make it out, but I think it was a trombonist) - Brian signs someone elses - THEY head toward the bus...or so we thought - No one sees Flans come out - We wait and wonder - 15 minutes after talking to many roadies and fans (who all signed my broom) we find out that THEY has left in a blue van 15 minutes ago - many fans leave - I and three others end up staying not knowing why - I look at the door - "FLANS!!!!" I yell - he and the other three fans look - "COULD YOU PLEASE SIGN MY BROOM?!?!?" - he walks over!!! - He asks "Why a broom?" - I say "Haven't you already seen others with brooms?" - He says "actually and surprisingly, yes" - I remind him of the IANYB video and he simply *smiles his head and nods* (my own expression) - He then signs my broom, the only one to sign the handle!!! - "sign my shirt too please" - He signs my shirt, right above the ship in big bold letters "JOHn F." (the n is smaller, for he was running out of room and in the O he makes a guy with glasses and a sorta straight face...HIM) - The guy just rocks!!!! - He signs the other three's shirts and answers questions... Why Hootie - We're asking that ourselves When ya coming back - As soon as we can Will you be the main band - We'll try, we see we've got true fans here (I laugh) When will MonoPuff tour - end of next summer With THEY ever - We'll see about that one (he laughs) He walks away as we yell back to him.... I am now one of four people in Toled who has FLANS' sig and I've got it TWICE!!! I am SOOOOO HAPPY :) "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:05:33 -0700 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in SF??? >> They Might Be Giants is cooming to San Francisco on November 20th! I'm >> SO THRILLED! Is anyone one else from SF and going? > > Is this TRUE? Can you confirm this? Where did you hear this? When do tickets go >on sale? If they're coming to SF, are they coming to Sacramento? If this is true, >I'm THERE! Hooray Hooray, They Might Be Giants Is Coming Our Way I got my general admission tickets to the Warfield this morning. The blue haired ticket clerk and his friend were saying "Most Excellent Choice" during the transaction - "You're going to really enjoy it!" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:20:42 -0700 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: RE:Mr. Mootrey and Gordon Lightfoot Hey don't get me wrong. I wasn't razzing Mr. M. for liking Gordon. I was just a bit shocked. I have a copy of Gord's Gold somewhere I think. If I could just get my turntable fixed. Herne ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:35:54 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Nickolodeon + TMBG = ? >>but i first saw, heard of, watched, whatever they might be giants on >nickelodean when iwas >7...i got my first album when i was nine...anyway >back to nickelodean anyone remember the >name of that show???? tmbg was >always had the #2 video to things like walk like an >egyptian or debbie >gibson or other crap.....anyways what was the shows name??? > >Clarissa Tells All? Rumor has it that she had a TMBG poster over her bed or >something, too. If memory serves me, this is what we established last time this thread came up. During the series premiere of Clarissa Explains It All, Clarissa introduces herself and tells what she likes, etc. She mentions that one of her favorite bands is They Might Be Giants, and that they are "DEFINETELY cool." (I've watched the show a few times, whenever I babysit the neighbor kids, and Clarissa seems to have this obsession with classifying everything as "cool" or "uncool".) Then the camera cuts to show the poster of J&J and they play a few bars of Don't Let's Start. By the 2nd or 3rd season, the poster was gone, and AFAIK no further mention of They has been made. No word on how They felt about being the favorite band of a neurotic 13-year-old. >Re: New York City >I totally agree. I guess, for me, this is the weakest track on the album. >One word describes it "S-A-P-P-Y". It does fit on the album but, IMHO, >this is the most un-TMBG song they ever wrote. Too straight-forward, unless >I'm missing something, and very very pop. BTW, I LOVE the rest of the album. Uhh... I dunno. I've heard the original, which is happy and peppy (love those harmonies!) But go listen to the TMBG cover again. Notice the way Flans kinda spits out the lyrics. My overwhelming impression is that the song is sarcastic. I mean, c'mon, "EVERYONE's your friend in New York City"? --nicole the wonder nerd, proudly contributing her $.02 to the TMBG defense fund *** ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:27:18 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: live tmbg and primus.... Organization: West Virginia Network in a live album i have they replace young frsh fellows (twistin) with primus....do they like primus????or have they toured or played together or what??? sam ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 23:07:42 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG: Nickolodeon + TMBG = ? okay.. so this is a teeny bit petty, and I'm sorry.. but they don't play a few bars of Don't Let's Start.. they play the opening.. duh. dud duh duh of Ana NG Heather ".. I was doing an interpretive dance.." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 00:19:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Nette Subject: TMBG: Unrelated but with a forced intro..... Remember that thread we had about "End of the Tour" being about a car accident? Well, read this. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:57:18 +1200 From: Handel W. Care To: Malkavian Madness Network Subject: [Malks] A little poem (fwd) > DEATH OF AN INNOCENT > > I went to a party, Mom, I remembered what you said. > You told me not to drink, Mom, so I drank soda instead. > I really felt proud inside, Mom, the way you said I would. > I didn't drink and drive, Mom, even though the others said I > should. > I know I did the right thing, Mom, I know you are always right. > Now the party is finally ending, Mom, as everyone is driving out > of sight. > > As I got into my car, Mom, I knew I'd get home in one piece. > Because of the way you raised me, so responsible and sweet. > I started to drive away, Mom, but as I pulled out into the road, > the other car didn't see me, Mom, and hit me like a load. > As I lay there on the pavement, Mom, I hear the policeman say, > the other guy is drunk, Mom, and now I'm the one who will pay. > I'm lying here dying, Mom. I wish you'd get here soon. > How could this happen to me, Mom? My life just burst like a > balloon. There is blood all around me, Mom, and most of it is mine. > I hear the medic say, Mom, I'll die in a short time. > I just wanted to tell you, Mom, I swear I didn't drink. > It was the others, Mom. The others didn't think. > He was probably at the same party as I. The only difference is, he drank and I will die. > > Why do people drink, Mom? It can ruin your whole life. > I'm feeling sharp pains now. Pains just like a knife. > The guy who hit me is walking, Mom, and I don't think it's fair. > I'm lying here dying and all he can do is stare. > > Tell my brother not to cry, Mom. Tell Daddy to be brave. > And when I go to heaven, Mom, put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave > Someone should have told him, Mom, not to drink and drive. > If only they had told him, Mom, I would still be alive. > > My breath is getting shorter, Mom. I'm becoming very scared. > Please don't cry for me, Mom. When I needed you, you were always there. I have one last question, Mom, before I say good bye. > I didn't drink and drive, so why am I the one to die? > ************************ > Someone took the effort to write this poem. > So please, forward this to as many people as you can. > And see if we can get a chain going around the world that will > make people understand that drinking and driving don't mix. > > TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, so please forward this letter > to as many people as you can ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 00:31:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pronounciation.. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Oct-96 TMBG: Clarissa, brooms, pro.. by Heather Tinkler@ou.edu > there is a little cartoon of them in blue suits on the left side of > the screen. Linnel is kindof jogging.. I guess because he's the one Hmmm... cartoon? blue suits? jogging? Sounds like the Hotel Detective video... Is Linnel pronounced Lynn L? OR LINel? Does anybody understand? No one understands. :) It's LinNELL. But it's really hard to say by typing it, you'd have to hear it... I think I said it right. Because of the way it's spelled, it can really only be prounounced one way... of course, being a name, it doesn't have to follow any standard rules of anything. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 00:35:36 -0400 From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Spock's Backup Band Hi all. This is a warning (step away from the car) to anyone who has a tape copy of Dr. Spock's Backup Band. If the setlist for your show looks like this: 06/27/92 Dr. Spock's Backup Band, Riviera, Chicago Siftin' / Particle Man / Your Racist Friend / The Statue Got Me High / She's Actual Size / The Famous Polka / Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes / Whistling In The Dark / 32 Footsteps / We Want A Rock / Birdhouse In Your Soul / Don't Let's Start / Dig My Grave / Istanbul / Kiss Me Son Of God / I Palindrome I / Frankenstein 2000 / Lie Still Little Bottle / Someone Keeps Moving My Chair then you don't actually have Dr. Spock's Backup Band. What you have is a spliced show! The first three tracks (Siftin', Particle Man and Your Racist Friend) have been spliced from a different Chicago show from 1990. You can even hear the splice just before Flans introduces The Statue Got Me High. He says something like "we were expecting a more shy audience tonight, but apparently we can't have that..." At this point, if you listen carefully, you can hear the levels drop out and fade back in real fast. This is where the real Dr. Spock's show begins. I found this out just recently while looking through other peoples bootlists on the web. The correct tracks that opened the show are: The Extended Spider Intro / I Palindrome I / Twisting / Particle Man / The Guitar I don't know how or if anyone out there wants to deal with this, but I would personally like to find the person who was responsible for perpetrating this evil plot! However, I don't have the energy to go on a manhunt, and am simply providing a public service by notifying all of you about this. Thank you, and good night. Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Where stuff is... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 00:37:19 -0400 From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: alex@tmbg.com Hi If anyone on this list has the email alias 'alex@tmbg.com' please get in touch with me...I think we have a slight problem. Thanks the other Alex ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-288 ******************************