Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-289 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 289 Tuesday, 22 October 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Top 5s and the Listees who made them TMBG: Actual biggest single? TMBG: RE:Bow Wow Wow TMBG: my turn............ (none) Re: TMBG: who are you TMBG: Pacquisto pls mail me Re: TMBG: who are you TMBG: Re: Dr. Spock's Backup Band TMBG: re:Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs TMBG: Re: I am God! TMBG: Zzzzzooooooommmmmmm..... TMBG: phil TMBG: Mailing List Stats TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Curiousity about Favorite songs TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy TMBG: Help-What are the last words on Metal Detector ? TMBG: They+Cub TMBG: heathers and sheep TMBG: Re: Dr. Spock's Backup Band TMBG: brooms/pronunciation TMBG: brooms & hair TMBG: Youth Culture Killed My Mac TMBG: TMBG L.A. show- anyone know? TMBG: MST3K TMBG: Britain and TMBG TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) Re: TMBG: MST3K TMBG: MST3K, TMBG in SF TMBG: TMBG in SF (and, yes Colorado, too) TMBG: Concert Dates Re: TMBG: Concert Dates TMBG: Zipped Files, Info Club Merchandise, and other things like that. Re: TMBG: TMBG in SF (and, yes Colorado, too) TMBG: Re: Myster Science Theater 3000 TMBG: tour date site... TMBG: who i am (delete if you don't care) Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crashed my computer. TMBG: 3"ers TMBG: C'mon, and wreck my car. TMBG: flood and mix tapes TMBG: Brooms TMBG: Re: tour date site... Re: TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) Re: TMBG: heathers and sheep Re: TMBG: Unrelated but with a forced intro..... Re: TMBG: Metal detector lyrics? Can anyone help? (none) TMBG: John Henry songs consist of superior portions Re: TMBG: who are you TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: Re: TMBG 2040 Shirts Re: TMBG: MST3K Re: TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) TMBG: The Missing Substance TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! Re: TMBG: who are you-- delete now while you still can! TMBG: TMBG Merchandise (How long will it take?) Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! TMBG: I LOVE TMBG!!! Re: TMBG: brooms & hair TMBG: who am I? TMBG: Spiraling Shape@ Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape@ TMBG: Re: Mulling over FS. Re: TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: Australian FS TMBG: So much for my theory and that other show on NICK Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:17:21 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 5s and the Listees who made them I think that this top 5 craze is a great idea... can you imagine how awkward an email silence would be???????? chrissy x ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 04:53:35 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Actual biggest single? Hello 41- I know that Flood has sold the most albums, but what single has sold the most copies both here and overseas? I know that Birdhouse was big in England, but didn't get released as an actual single here that I know of. Just wondering if anyone had figures... Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:13:09 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: TMBG: RE:Bow Wow Wow On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:03:31 -0700 Kenneth Leicht wrote: > From: Kenneth Leicht > Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:03:31 -0700 > Subject: RE:Bow Wow Wow > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > > It's official. I am old. The fact that some of you didn't know who Bow > Wow Wow were and had to go do research to find out! Ouch! > I actually saw them live once. They opened for the Police on the Ghost > in the Machine tour. They were quite amusing...but they were no Adam > and the Ants. > > geezerly yours, > > Herne the Hunter. Now here is a person mentioning all sorts of good music...... All I know about bow wow wow is that I think they did 'wild in the country' and replaced their singer with a 14yr old to promote underage sex.......yeah! Or am I thinking of someone else entirely? chrissy x ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:06:04 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: TMBG: my turn............ I decided it was time to think about my top five and bottom five songs since it's all the rage at the moment............... 1-She's an Angel...even more so since I read the interp about women in space.... 2-End of the tour..... 3-Destination moon............. 4-Dinner bell........ 5-It's not my birthday... special mentions go to........birdhouse for being the ultimate pop song, Fingertips and I've got a match, oh, and nightgown of the sullen moon, mainly baecause of all the connections in has with fine people. And my bottom 5 probably goes something like this, 1- toddler highway 2-hot cha 3-errrrrrrrrr, well, I think that could be it actually. Also, I can't decide if I love or loathe hide away folk family. Send help. I must go now and find a cure for the 'long string of dots' disease........................ chrissy x ------------------------------ From: monty@zeta.org.au (Simon Droscher) Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:54:38 GMT Organization: Loopy Loopy Loopy help ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:27:36 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you Not a bad idea to do this every now and then! My "real" name is Kim, I'm 31, and I'm an English teacher (all ages) here in Miami, Fla. I also love to write, and have about 1 and 1/2 short novels written, though nothing published as yet. My other major "obsession" besides TMBG is Kids in the Hall, and I was introduced to TMBG by a fellow KitH freak less than 2 years ago, though it feels like I've been a They fan forever! As for the 10 cds on a desert island, I'd have to have all 7 They cds (that's including Misc. T, of course), if that's allowed, with _Shame Based Man_ (Bruce McCulloch), _Even Worse_ (Weird Al), and either _Abbey Road_ or _Magical Mystery Tour_ by the Beatles (I was raised on 'em) thrown into the mix. Yikes, I'd have to sneak in _Hunting High and Low_ by a-ha as well! And Mono Puff! And the soundtrack to _Little Shop of Horrors_! Oh, and...screw it, this is too hard! Kay ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:34:55 EST Subject: TMBG: Pacquisto pls mail me Nick Acquisto Please mail me. boba ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:23:35 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you I didn't do the top five, I didn't do the bottom five, and I didn't do the ten desert thing either...only because I love all the music I have, just in different ways. It's kinda like when you're in one mood, you pick out THEY, when you're in another, you put on some Rage...Ya know what I mean. And since I don't know what moods I'll be in on the island, I'd just have it be whatever comes via fate. All TMBG songs are equal in my part, except track 13 on Misc T, but that's not a song, just something that got old after the first 50 times... Now we're supposed to introduce ourselves huh? Well...My real name is Tim Winter, but I go by Wayde (no middle or last name), in Spain, I'm known as Fran, and on the net, I go by Statue. Statue et al encompases all of them. I'm originally from Cleveland, OH but am now a freshman at the University of Toledo (still in Ohio) for Computer Science and Engineering. I'll let you know right now that I am a horrible speller and LOVE THEY! I've seen them only three times in concert (once in Cleveland - Took a day off school to go down to Columbus for the second show - and the third I just wrote about the other day) and now have Flansburg's signiture on my broom and on my shirt! I just turned 19 as of last Friday!! If a hobby is something you do everyday and spend a lot of money on, then TMBG is my hobby. I'm taking on the job of spreading the good word of THEY around campus here, surprisingly, many more people than I thought have really heard of them and even more surprisingly, quite a few actually own some form of their music. I first heard of THEY when my brother brought home the brand new album, FLOOD. I fell in love with it the first time I heard it and still remember moving the little micro machines around the fake cities while bobbing to Birdhouse in Your Soul :) Since then I've gotten all the albums and two singles so far with the admirations of owning at least one form of every album/ep/lp/etc THEY've made...like I said...hobby! "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:15:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. Spock's Backup Band > >Hey, what's with TMBG: before all the messages? Oh wait, I know why! For the >*list* people (I'm a digester myself). Good idea, Leo! ;) I was actually wondering, not why they were there, but why they hadn't been there before. I may actually consider switching to bounce mode now... >This is a warning (step away from the car) to anyone who has a tape copy of >Dr. Spock's Backup Band. If the setlist for your show looks like this: >then you don't actually have Dr. Spock's Backup Band. What you have is a >spliced show! Ooooh, of all the evil, dastardly things one can do. Of course, since you brought our attention to this scheme, you'll be willing to, ummm, fix our tapes, right? :) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:57:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: re:Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Herne wrote: > Good Heavens! Gordon Lightfoot!...and obscure gordon Lightfoot at > that. I guess there maybe someone on this List who is older than me > besides Kathleen. I bow down to you sir for this rtandom choice and for > being random enough to have strong feelings for bothThey and the man who > wrote Sundown. > > Herne > I'm not old--only 22. But I do have every Lightfoot album except Salute. (if you know where I can find that one PLEASE tell me) I can't wait until November 11 when I've got tickets to see hime in concert--4th row seats! -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:16:29 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: TMBG: Re: I am God! On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:47:11 +1000 (EST) Lincoln Damen wrote: > From: Lincoln Damen > Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:47:11 +1000 (EST) > Subject: I am God! > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > > Firstly my name is Lincoln... wait that's not that weird but that fact that > there is an album also named "Lincoln"... > > Secondly "John Henry" is my dad's name... > > Thirdly TMBG and Hootie are my two fav bands and are touring together... > > Fourthly... well I could tell you more but it starts to get trivial... > > So I have come to a conclusion to explain all this incidences... > > I am God :P > +Linc ; ) > > "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" > So................. YOU'RE god are you, well , I have a few questions for you............and you won't find them on FAQ.oh no. chrissy x ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:29:13 -0400 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Zzzzzooooooommmmmmm..... >>I tried to dislike but I just can't. I heard all the negative statements >>before I heard it and I still think it's great >Sir, are you perchance white and fleecy? Do you nibble heather in your >spare time? Are you, in a nutshell, a mere sheep? Go forth and form your >own opinions! (Especially since they agree with mine. FS rocks.) > -jon scott: more fun than a lemming massage Dear Jon, Are you perchance humor intolerant? Do you not look for a hidden underlying meaning in the things people say (as any TMBG fan must be capable of doing, at least to some degree)? Do you not hear the backward message in BIYS that says "John is dead. Miss him, Miss him" (or something like that)? :) The quote is an attempt to address the negative posters who seem to enjoy stating the new CD is bad, over and over again, seemingly trying to convince everyone to dislike. I don't mind a negative post but to send one repetitively, seems like they are trying to convince me to take my CD and toss it in the East River. I won't do it! Besides I will not follow just for the sake of following unless I have good reason! (I don't know what this means but I thought it sounded profound). ;) Erik - Now, I must get back to work. They just put another full bottle in front of me! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: phil Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:43:09 -0400 (EDT) iPhil Moss, can you email me? I misplaced your address Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:49:21 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG: Mailing List Stats >It is my impression, at least, that the list is growing nicely. What >are the latest stats on list membership? Leo? I'm not Leo, but I read on www.tmbg.org that there are about 150 subscribers to the regular list and another 300 to the digest. -jon atreides, muad'dweeb ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:49:33 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Curiousity about Favorite songs Jenn Wrote: > i have a quick question for everyone. how many of you find that > the first TMBG song you heard is still one of your top five favorite > songs? No, I don't think so. The first one I heard was Istanbul, and I really can't listen to that song anymore. It's too long. I wish it were as short as it is at the live shows. Boba -Matthew Ondrey "I'm Not Done, And I Won't Be 'Till My Head Falls Off" - ThEy MiGhT bE gIaNtS boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, updated weekly: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:51:08 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (John Galt) Subject: TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy >>They Might Be Giants--Then: the Early Years (counts as two cds)<< >Hey, that's not fair! It's not even out yet!!! Don't worry, I'll wait to get stranded until next year when it's out. Oh, and to whoever mentioned Your own worst enemy as a great song, a true highlight of FS...you're right! It took me a little while to realize this, but it seems to have the same subtle, classy charm as the opening, & certain parts of Spiralling Shape. I see it as the lead-in to spiralling shape, or rather the preview of SS, because XTCvsAA is in the way, but that's another story. YOWE is so stark & clear...i just love it! Nathan Todd, aka tenman. Still busy recovering the satellites. *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* "Daylight fading Come and waste another year All the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn When we see the early signs that daylight's fading We leave just before it's gone" -Adam F. Duritz of the Counting Crows ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 17:20:55 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: Help-What are the last words on Metal Detector ? Sorry to re-post this question but we have had a problem with our mail so if anyone answered we didn't see it. Sarah is anxious for a reply! Unless you are ALL just mad at us for starting the top 5 thread again!! Please forgive us!Thanks--- Kathleen Jo Faulconer wrote: The last sentence in Metal detector is not in the > official lyrics(we just checked) and we think John L. says "My metal > detector, I'll protect you' Then John F. (possibly)says "all the time" > hence the theory that this guy is pretty involved with his metal > detector. They are more than just friends!!! > Are we nuts? What do you super-lyric-sleuths think???????? > Are those the words? Go play it NOW and tell us!!!! > Thanks, > Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:16:15 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG: They+Cub >Their first show together is going to be at Roseland. For us geographically impaired, please explain the whereabouts of Roseland. If it's east of the Mississippi I'll probably try to go. >Everyone who is going to Roseland can look for me and my purple hair (it's not a toupee) in >the front dodging all the moshers and hoping that no one brings a broom up there. Hey, what do you have against brooms? They're peaceful and fun-loving, just like you and me. I have purple hair too, and I'd definitely bring a broom. -jon atreides, muad'dweeb ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:26:28 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG: heathers and sheep >"do you nibble heather in your spare time?" > >no nibbling on the Heather, please.. without permission!! > >~ Heather I didn't mean *people* named Heather, I was just remembering from when I visited Scotland that sheep love to eat heathers, the purple flowers that cover so much of the land up there. If you are interested in nibbling, I can't help you personally due to location but I'm sure somebody on this list lives in OK... -jon atreides, muad'dweeb ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:27:03 -0400 (EDT) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. Spock's Backup Band At 09:15 10/21/96 -0400, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >Ooooh, of all the evil, dastardly things one can do. Of course, since you >brought our attention to this scheme, you'll be willing to, ummm, fix our >tapes, right? :) I don't have the proper show to fix *my* tape, let alone anyone elses. Something must be done...I want blood! Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy or something... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:31:38 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG: brooms/pronunciation > About brooms!!! > Yesterday.. my boyfriend, Richard, and I were at Toys R Us (as >usual, I love that place) looking for sea monkeys and I saw that they >have child like play brooms! They're about 2-3 feet long and very >cute.. even come with a dustpan. They are also pretty cheap.. running >about $3. Wouldn't this be cheaper.. and safer.. and funner? comments? Good idea. I guess if you're going for authenticity you need a big broom with a rectangular head, but I find the smaller ones just as expressive. We used a 4 foot one. > Is Linnel pronounced Lynn L? OR LINel? Does anybody >understand? When in doubt, pronounce it like vinyl. -jon atreides, muad'dweeb ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: brooms & hair Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:34:02 -0400 (EDT) > >Their first show together is going to be at Roseland. > For us geographically impaired, please explain the whereabouts of Roseland. > If it's east of the Mississippi I'll probably try to go. It is indeed east of the Mississippi in New York City, 52nd Street Manhattan to be exact. I'll be there too, hope to see you. > > >Everyone who is going to Roseland can look for me and my purple hair (it's > not a toupee) in >the front dodging all the moshers and hoping that no one > brings a broom up there. > Hey, what do you have against brooms? They're peaceful and fun-loving, just > like you and me. I have purple hair too, and I'd definitely bring a broom. Brooms are nice until they get among moshers and they start bashing someone's head in (i.e. yours). Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:39:44 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG: Youth Culture Killed My Mac >For some reason whenever I put FS into my CD ROM, my computer >freezes and the CD has to be forcibly ejected by hand The only major difference between FS and other, lesser CDs is the fact that the start of track 1 is 1:03 past the start of the data. It's most likely that the dimwit who wrote the CD player did something ignorant and severe havoc insues when his ivory tower of CD etiquette is breached. Speaking as an experienced programmer, I can say that many such possibilities are ignored when writing a program because "no sane person would ever want to do that!" "If architects built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization." -jon atreides, muad'dweeb ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:46:20 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: TMBG L.A. show- anyone know? Hi! I just heard that They will be in L.A. on Nov. 22nd. Is anyone from this area on the list? I want to go but I am afraid to take my kids if it is a mosh type thing! It is at the El Rey Theater and it is "first come- first seats" the Ticketmaster girl said. What I want to know is will there be SEATS? What is your experience with this? We were in a terrible life threatening situation once at a Garth Brooks concert ..YES you heard right! There were thousands of drunk people, they surged forward, people were crushed, fainting and a small child was dropped into the mess by her father that also fainted. I picked her up. It was horrible. I swore that I would never go tho a festival seating event again! When we saw TMBG before there were tables and chairs in the back and a mosh pit in front. That I can handle. I called the theater but no answer. I don't want to wait too long! Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Kathleen P.S. That last post of mine was in another dimention for some days! Ignore it! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:57:41 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG: MST3K >> > MST3K??????????? >> > >> > I'm still kinda new here so.......... >> > >> > What movie is MST3K??????????????????????????? >> > >> > Don't worry, I'll probably kick myself when ya tell me. >> > +Linc ; ) >> > >> > "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" >> > >> > >> >> Silly Boy! >> MST3K is Magic Snakes Traveling 3 Kilometers! > >Trix are for Rabbits! >MST3K obviously stands for Many Souviniers Throwing 3 Kibbles! > Some people on this list are very mischievous, it seems. They would mislead you and cause you embarassment in front of your peers. MST3K is not a childish acronym for some ridiculous phrase, it is a Welsh word, roughly translated as "blue-green moss", pronounced exactly as it is spelled. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 19:00:19 +0100 (BST) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Britain and TMBG Well, aren't you Americans the lucky ones once more, upon discovering that a new TMBG album was about to be released and that it's American release date was the start of October I got quite excited, having bought and listened to the 5 TMBG albums many time (Misc T isn't available in Britain) I was looking forward to the chance to hear some new stuff but alas it was not to be. The album isn't getting released until January next year on these shores but then, what's new. As I believe I'm the other TMBG fan in Britain, I know of only one other one, it should be expected that we get left behind for release dates. I can almost guarantee that although they claim to be doing a world tour they will either not come to Britain or, they will come, do one date in London which I'll never get a chance to go to cause I'm a student and tight with my cash and would rather travel only a few miles to see the group in their glory which, knowing my luck, I'm never gonna get the chance to do anyway. Hope you guys have fun listening to the new album. Gits. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:51:46 +0600 From: doofus Subject: TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) >> Judging from observation, it's not all new subscribers who simply missed >> the original threads. Don't people read the messages on this list? >Didn't They come out with some Factory Showboat album or something like >that? =) Who's "They May Be Giants?" Do you see any sense to that? "There May Be Giants?" I can't explain it, because I don't know what it is. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:23:02 -0500 (CDT) From: jeremy pokela Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, doofus wrote: > >> > MST3K??????????? > >> > > >> > I'm still kinda new here so.......... > >> > > >> > What movie is MST3K??????????????????????????? > >> > > >> > Don't worry, I'll probably kick myself when ya tell me. > >> > +Linc ; ) > >> > > >> > "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" > >> > > >> > > >> > >> Silly Boy! > >> MST3K is Magic Snakes Traveling 3 Kilometers! > > > >Trix are for Rabbits! > >MST3K obviously stands for Many Souviniers Throwing 3 Kibbles! > > > Some people on this list are very mischievous, it seems. They would mislead > you and cause you embarassment in front of your peers. MST3K is not a > childish acronym for some ridiculous phrase, it is a Welsh word, roughly > translated as "blue-green moss", pronounced exactly as it is spelled. > > Stop mis-leading the proletariat, MST3K is of course an acronym for the underground Swedish Socialist Army or Many Swedes Tracking 3Kuality (or Equality in less hyper-modern english). ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:26:45 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: MST3K, TMBG in SF >Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:12:37 -0600 (MDT) >From: David Simpson >Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K????????????? > >> > MST3K??????????? >> > >> > I'm still kinda new here so.......... >> > >> > What movie is MST3K??????????????????????????? >> > >> > Don't worry, I'll probably kick myself when ya tell me. >> > +Linc ; ) >> > >> > "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" >> > >> > >> >> Silly Boy! >> MST3K is Magic Snakes Traveling 3 Kilometers! > >Trix are for Rabbits! >MST3K obviously stands for Many Souviniers Throwing 3 Kibbles! Linc, I'll help you out here, because you seem to be a nice lad. MST3K is short for Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the best, least-known tv shows ever. It's about an innocent earthling (used to be the sublime Joel, is now the blah Mike) held captive in a satellite with two robots and forced to watch BAD movies. They retaliate by wisecracking and making fun of the actors during the entire thing. Check it out sometime, it's well worth the effort. Also look up MST3K: The Movie. >Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:18:00 +0000 >From: Heather Tinkler >Organization: The University of Oklahoma >Subject: TMBG: who are you > >I know that this will prob. annoy lots of people... but this whole 10 >cds and stuff has made me curious about other peoples personalities >and stuff.. so why dosen't everyone introduce themselves? >you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) >heather NO! The "introduction" thread must die a permanent death. >Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:05:33 -0700 >From: Bob Gonsalves >Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in SF??? > >>> They Might Be Giants is cooming to San Francisco on November 20th! I'm >>> SO THRILLED! Is anyone one else from SF and going? >> >> Is this TRUE? Can you confirm this? Where did you hear this? When do tickets go >>on sale? If they're coming to SF, are they coming to Sacramento? If this is true, >>I'm THERE! > >Hooray Hooray, They Might Be Giants Is Coming Our Way > >I got my general admission tickets to the Warfield this morning. The blue haired ticket clerk and his friend were saying "Most Excellent Choice" during the transaction - "You're going to really enjoy it!" As soon as I heard, I pedaled on down to Tower as fast as my little feet could take me. And all that physical exertion has paid off-- I'VE GOT CONCERT TICKETS!!! WITH CUB!!! GOOOOOOOH!!! I will be bringing a broom and wearing Flannell. Anyone in the Sacramento area want to talk carpool? I really really really hate driving in the city. > >Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 23:07:42 +0000 >From: Heather Tinkler >Organization: The University of Oklahoma >Subject: Re: TMBG: Nickolodeon + TMBG = ? > >okay.. so this is a teeny bit petty, and I'm sorry.. but they don't >play a few bars of Don't Let's Start.. they play the opening.. duh. >dud duh duh of Ana NG Ohhh... do they? I guess they do. My mistake! *nicole hits herself on the head* > > Is Linnel pronounced Lynn L? OR LINel? Does anybody understand? Rhymes with "bell", accent on the second syllable. Watch the MTV 120 minutes tape (the one they host, that has Snail Shell towards the end) and you hear Linnell pronounce it himself. I love you all!! I love the world!! Even though I just failed a calc midterm!! --nicole the wonder nerd emitting random outbursts of joy *** ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:12:48 -0700 Subject: TMBG: TMBG in SF (and, yes Colorado, too) OK, how many of you will be going to the show at the Warfield in San Francisco on November 20? I've got my tickets, and I know a couple of others do, too. We should definitely have a way to identify each other. I know Nicole is bringing a broom, and I was thinking of bringing a Freak Flag. Anyone else going? To whomever asked, They will be playing at Boulder Theater in Boulder, CO on November 9. Matt ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:19:42 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Concert Dates Anyone who would like TMBG concert dates that as of last night were NOT on the official web sight, go to http://www.performancemag.com/toursearch and enter "They Might Be Giants." It will bring up a list of They tour dates through November. Anyone who doesn't have web access and would like to know if They are playing in your city, you can e-mail me and I can check for you. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert Dates Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:39:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of bartush@calweb.com: >Anyone who would like TMBG concert dates that as of last night were NOT on the >official web sight, go to http://www.performancemag.com/toursearch and enter "They >Might Be Giants." It will bring up a list of They tour dates through November. Thanks Matt! Of course, now I need to know details about the 11/26 show at the Riviera in Chicago - It Might Be road trip time again :) -CB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:12:10 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Zipped Files, Info Club Merchandise, and other things like that. Hello everyone. I was just wondering which people wanted my wingo.wav. Whoever sent me a message requesting it, please send it again. Also, make sure the address is right. The address that Dave Simpson mentioned didn't work and I was sent back my own file. I want to do what doofus suggested to me and zip up my wingo.wav. The only question I have is, how do I do that? Also, I am interested in getting some info club merchandise, such as the Bird Shirt, or 2040 Tour, and the Why Does The Sun Shine, Back To Skull, and S-E-X-X-Y (when will this be in stores, anyway, the 29th?). Also, I'm thinking of getting a 1994, 1995, and a 1996 Hello membership. Anyway, how responsive is the info club? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:16:57 -0700 (PDT) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in SF (and, yes Colorado, too) On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 bartush@calweb.com wrote: > definitely have a way to identify each other. I know Nicole is bringing a broom, and > I was thinking of bringing a Freak Flag. Anyone else going? Jeez, and here I was thinking that a Broom _was_ a Freak Flag! Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:32:07 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Re: Myster Science Theater 3000 David Simpson wrote: > > > I love Mystery Science Theater, those at Comedy Central who cancelled it > > must die at my hands. Those who deamed my community unworthy of having > > MST3K the Movie, appear in theaters must also die by my hands. MST3K its > > not an attitude its a way of life. MST3K breaks all ethnic barriors. > > MST3K leads to inner peace and harmony. MST3K will provide for the > > continuation of the human species after nuclear holocaust > Didn't the Sci Fi Channel pick up MST3K? If so, does anyone know what > time it's on? > > Dave Simpson > > .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? Yes, but season eight doesn't start til February. Meanwhile, we must watch it at 9 a.m. Sat, 6 a.m. Sun., and 1 a.m. Mon. even though Sun. and Mon. are the same show. Oddly, this is the second time in 2 hours I have shared this info with someone. Trillian "What's with this 'and the rest' crap?"- MST3K- The Movie Keep circulating those tapes! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:01:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: TMBG: tour date site... www.performancemag.com/toursearch ok, i was just there to checkout the dates (why are they almost all midwest or west coast??) and the show at the roseland was listed twice...does anyone know why this is??i am curious, is there an all-ages then an over-21 show or something? oh, well...someone let me know, please! thanks. --(fran)SBURGH ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:56:09 -0400 Subject: TMBG: who i am (delete if you don't care) Heather said: >you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) Yeah, it could annoy people, but if they don't want to read it, they don't have to. :) Hobbies: the computer--suprised?, They Might Be Giants, Kids in the Hall, Barenaked Ladies (the band), Dubbing tapes, watching tapes, listening to cd's and tapes, drawing, not doing my homework... Age: 15 (b.sept 2 1981 as if you care ) Grade: 10th Major: I plan on majoring in art..computer graphic stuff. next...! ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com.kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:55:59 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crashed my computer. >For some reason whenever I put FS into my CD ROM, my >computer freezes and the CD has to be forcibly ejected by >hand. Sometimes once I have ejected it (with a paper >clip inserted into a small hole next to the CD drive) >This does not happen with any other CD I've tried, only >Factory Showroom. I have a Mac II vi (Though I am >sure some of you out there think Macs are useless anyway). Eek! Same here. I have a Mac IIvx (and NO, they're NOT useless!). I keep trying and it just does nothing, but I found you can save time (and possibly any work you currently were doing) by ejecting it with a paperclip without restarting it. And yes, it's the only cd that does this to me too... ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:29:45 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: 3"ers Um, could the person whose purchasing the 3" singles please let me know how the progress is coming...Thanks "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:56:03 -0400 Subject: TMBG: C'mon, and wreck my car. Okay, I just remembered about the TMBG info club #'s, so this being the 1st info club thing I got, I looked at my newsletter... there's a # above my name on the address label. Is that it? I'm assuming it is. If so, I'm #45127. :) >MST3K is Magic Snakes Traveling 3 Kilometers! No no, that's not it. It's Mystical Scrofula Transcends 3 Knees! Don't you know *anything??* ;) Actually, I'll spoil the mystery (ooh hoo, a pun), to tell you guys something...I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I was flipping through the radio stations, and hit one of those AP network news things. The guy was talking about Trace Beaulieu (Dr. Forrester, Crow), but I don't recall what he said, because I was dwelling on the fact he called it 'Mystery Science Theater 2000'! Doh! >About this whole Clarissa thing! Friday I was watching "nick >in the afternoon" as I so often do.. and someone had wrote in >requesting the first episode of Clarissa Explains It All.. so >they aired it! Noooo! Noo! No fairr!!! I had been taping it daily, just in case they showed it agin, cause I haven't seen it in a long time, and I just stopped last week! Nooo! :? ~sarah, eating black licorice :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "I HAFTA TIE MY SHOE!" - John Linnell on the Frank O'Toole Show (3/87) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:56:07 -0400 Subject: TMBG: flood and mix tapes >About Flood, I was just thinking about Sarah from Rochester's >post about getting her friend this album. This idea of getting >friends Flood who don't know TMBG very well is a strange >thing. I've seen a hell of a lot of people say this. Therefore, >it would seem that Flood is the greatest album put out by >TMBG hands down (I don't agree with this btw). Yep, I know that. It just seems that Flood sticks. IMO, of course it's not the best, but it seems to hook mediocre-taste people (un-like us). Like, all the people in my school that have heard of Them have Flood and like it, so I dunno... BTW, I made her a mixed TMBG tape. :) Here's the listing (aHEM!) Don't get pissed. This is a combination of what I like and stuff I think she'll like (she listens to more dancy-pop stuff): side a: Birdhouse, Istanbul, Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes, Mammal, I Palindrome I, Kiss Me Son Of God, Dinner Bell, Ana Ng, S-E-X-X-Y, WDTSS?, SWAHD (BTS), Istanbul (Browsville Mix), It's Not My Birthday, Don't Let's Start, Snail Dust, She's An Angel, Minimum Wage, Fingertips (34-36) side b: Dead, Particle Man, NOKMP, Purple Toupee, They'll Need A Crane, If I Wasn't Shy, Exquisite Dead Guy, Metal Detector, Twisting, NYC, Women And Men, TMHFO, I've Got A Match, Smells Like Teen Spirit (hehe..), Spiralling Shape, Puppet Head, WIRIS, #3, Fingertips (17-33) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "KILL GEORGE BUSH!" - Flans, Germany 3/10/89 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:39:48 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Brooms I took a 5 foot broom to the concert.... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 02:46:55 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: tour date site... Fransburgh wrote: > > www.performancemag.com/toursearch > > ok, i was just there to checkout the dates (why are they almost all > midwest or west coast??) Because now it's our turn! (Actually, they only list concerts through November, so I'm sure more of the tour will be revealed as time goes on.) It IS nice to see them pay some attention to the West Coast, though. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:34:26 -0500 (EST) > > >> Judging from observation, it's not all new subscribers who simply missed > >> the original threads. Don't people read the messages on this list? > >Didn't They come out with some Factory Showboat album or something like > >that? =) > Who's "They May Be Giants?" Do you see any sense to that? "There May Be > Giants?" I can't explain it, because I don't know what it is. > Look in the paper... don't blame me if the guy's a nut! m@t [LOL] ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: heathers and sheep Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:39:52 -0500 (EST) > > I was just remembering from when I visited Scotland that sheep > love to eat heathers > That's funny, the same thing happened to my tape of the movie, too... m@t [who has lost all control of his senses] ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Unrelated but with a forced intro..... Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:51:08 -0500 (EST) > > Remember that thread we had about "End of the Tour" being about a car > accident? Well, read this. > > > DEATH OF AN INNOCENT > > > > I went to a party, Mom, I remembered what you said. > > You told me not to drink, Mom, so I drank soda instead. > > I really felt proud inside, Mom, the way you said I would. > > I didn't drink and drive, Mom, even though the others said I > > should. [...] > > TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, so please forward this letter > > to as many people as you can > Craig Shergold is a child in England who is dying of cancer and wants to be listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for using the word "Mom" the most times in a single bad poem. Please help him out by sending the word "Mom" to him, care of your local charity organization. (A negligible charge of two fifty will be added to your credit card bill). m@t You think I'm psycho, don't you Momma? ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Metal detector lyrics? Can anyone help? Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:05:38 -0500 (EST) > ! We are really wondering if the last line on Metal Detector is > "My metal detector I'll protect you" with John F. then saying > "all the time". No. The line is simply "Metal detector all the time," with another Linnell (not Flans) repeating it, starting just before the word "all": Metal detector all the time... Met-al de-tector all the time.... That's not exact, but "all" and "-al" roughly coincide, as do "time" and "-tector". m@t ------------------------------ From: colino@powerup.com.au Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:48:34 GMT I remember the first time I heard TMBG. It was an age ago when the Pink Album first hit Australia. I was in a record store in Brisbane and they were unloading their new releases. The clerk picked up this one album, gave it a weird look and put it apart. I asked if I could have a look at it and he said sure. I had to admit that I had never hear of TMBG. I asked the clerk who they were. He said he didn't have a clue. So I asked if I could have a listen. Over 30 mins latter I walked out of the store with the Pink album in my bag. Since then I have like everything they have brought out except for (gulp, I hope this is the right thing to say here) John Henry. Yes I know the horns were good but it just didn't grab my mind and bang it into the wall a couple of times like the other albums did. Well that's enough of my ramblings for now. I am sure you guys didn't really want to hear this, but an't life a bitch. "Let me tell you about the illusion of free will" Sheriff Buck Col in the land of OZ. ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:19:58 -0400 Subject: TMBG: John Henry songs consist of superior portions I'm glad to see that FS songs are good all the way through. It seems like most of the songs on John Henry have parts that are great and the rest gets kind of boring. Everyone is doing FS reviews so I'm doing my views on JH. Perhaps you'll agree. Sleeping in the Flowers and Nyquil Driver have really great refrains but the music to the verses isn't that great. Why Must I Be Sad has Flansburgh's backing vocal toward the end that makes the song good, Spy has the middle part before they start yelling Spy up to after the guitar part which begins the improvisational ending (It's strange that the worst improv ending to this song is the one that's on the album). Dirt Bike has the interesting guitar part in the middle that makes the song eventful. Destination Moon is good for the most part but the "Soon the man who sweeps.....interplanetary exploration" part really adds to the song. Out of Jail has the " Didn't want to be a slave just turned out that way" and the instrumental part afterward that is the interesting part of the song. End of the Tour has the "Never to part... at the overpass" part that really adds. Unrelated Thing is still the only TMBG song I can't find anything good about, except that the lyrics aren't too horribly bad. I think every other song on the album is great except the refrain to Thermestat "turn it up turn it down" what were they thinking. Although this is one of my favorite songs. niCK u!CK I think John Henry would have been a lot better if some of these parts of songs that are wonderful formulated to a Fingertips II. What do you think? nick ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:27:33 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you > I know that this will prob. annoy lots of people... but this whole 10 > cds and stuff has made me curious about other peoples personalities > and stuff.. so why dosen't everyone introduce themselves? > you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) Okay.. hmm.. Now what did the Witness Protection Program tell me to forget? Ah yes. My name is Dave Simpson (as I'm sure all of you are [See sig]) and I'm in the 11th grade (supposedly). I'm 16 and just got my liscence today! I'm so happy! I made a really goofy face (okay so it's only sort of silly) and decided to NOT retake the picture! Talk about daring! My hobbies cosist of e-mail (too bad my friends don't care for it much. I get tired replying to my messages =), making low-budget comedy films, but I've only got 3-4 short videos so far. I also like to listen to music, bike, rock climb, and lie on questionaires. I have bleu eyes, brown hair, multiple appendages, a Sesame Street bandaid on my finger. I enjoy playing the card game Middle EArth: The Wizards, and think Lincoln isn't as great as you all say, for all the albums have their fine points and thier really not-so-fine ones. Well, that was pretty long, so what about the rest of you? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:35:55 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail > help Uhh.. Krakow was the capitol of Poland until the 1600s and 2-3 is not 17. How's that? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:44:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG 2040 Shirts According to the InfoClub newsletter the 2040 shirts are new. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:42:53 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K > >> > MST3K??????????? > >> > > >> > I'm still kinda new here so.......... > >> > > >> > What movie is MST3K??????????????????????????? > >> > > >> > Don't worry, I'll probably kick myself when ya tell me. > >> > +Linc ; ) > >> > > >> > "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" > >> > > >> > > >> > >> Silly Boy! > >> MST3K is Magic Snakes Traveling 3 Kilometers! > > > >Trix are for Rabbits! > >MST3K obviously stands for Many Souviniers Throwing 3 Kibbles! > > > Some people on this list are very mischievous, it seems. They would mislead > you and cause you embarassment in front of your peers. MST3K is not a > childish acronym for some ridiculous phrase, it is a Welsh word, roughly > translated as "blue-green moss", pronounced exactly as it is spelled. I feels *so* horrible for trying to confuse others. It won't ever happen again, or my name isn't, whatever it is. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:45:12 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Lobotomies? (gripe, gripe, gripe!) > >> Judging from observation, it's not all new subscribers who simply missed > >> the original threads. Don't people read the messages on this list? > >Didn't They come out with some Factory Showboat album or something like > >that? =) > Who's "They May Be Giants?" Do you see any sense to that? "There May Be > Giants?" I can't explain it, because I don't know what it is. I know what it is! It's those durn monkeys with their keyboards again. Oops, gotta run, the trainers coming and we're having banana cream pie for dinner. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:11:18 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: The Missing Substance Hello m@t, I would've hoped you would've remembered me from about two years back on this list. I remember your name, at least, and I'm afraid your name is the only one I recognize from way on back. Have so many people really gone by? Anyhow, clipping from your post, which begins with my words: >> Yes, I think Factory Showroom is brilliant! >> >> Sadly, I must now defend myself for saying this on a TMBG-list, in >> a new time when I have less friends and when friends seem harder to make. > > Hopefully you won't get flamed, but then hopefully your message would > say more than simply, "I think FS is brilliant!" What is at issue here > are posts that merely project unsubstantiated opinions. You don't have > to defend yourself, but if you need to share your opinion you really > also need to include some supporting information with it. I couldn't agree with your statement more. I had hoped that those who read my post would've gotten the following point, which apparently wasn't made clear: that I've been seeing some negativity on this list and I wanted to show that most of us out here aren't just TMBG-loaded bubbleheads who love everything They do; that actual proud listeners are capable of forming a thumbs-up opinion of the latest effort. I was saying that it should be OK for many of us to say we actually like FS hopefully without someone belittling us for our opinions. Case in point: my brother, who rarely read the list before, wanted to scan it since I recently re-subscribed. After a few days worth, he was disgusted. "Everyone just complains," he said. Now I know it's not true that _everyone_ complains, it's just that the negative posts come out much more harshly than the postive posts, so they stand out more. So I wrote to make the case that I should be able to make a very positive post and not have to be worried about it. My original post had some support for "why I liked FS," but that wasn't really the point of the post. I wanted to say something positive, and I hope that that's what people got out of it. If you really want to hear what I think of FS in detail, I'll be glad to provide my ever-reinforced opinioins. m@t, do you remember Haggis? :-) Know where she is? ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:23:31 -0400 Subject: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! PEOPLE MagAzine has a review of FS and a cute picture of john and john, john linnell has his ACCORDION!!!!!!!!!! there standing sideways,a little weird. cool. well,check it out!!!!! (the review is pretty good) ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:40:13 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you-- delete now while you still can! > I know that this will prob. annoy lots of people... but this whole 10 > cds and stuff has made me curious about other peoples personalities > and stuff.. so why dosen't everyone introduce themselves? > you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) Um... Hi, my name is Christy, and I'm an alcoholi... er, never mind. Actually I'm 15 and a junior at an unremarkable northern VA high school. I'm in the school marching band (go color guard!) and this leaves little time for anything else. But I do enjoy abusing caffeine, ignoring my TV, conciously avoiding maturity, scratching my dog's tummy, thwarting my evil homework, and raising my freak flag. I am a MSTie, although since school started I have yet to see a single episode :( Current projects include cultivating some freshman TMBG fans and plotting my escape to Roseland Nov 8th. Hope I get there. If you're there and you see the orange Broom of Justice attatched to a medium-tall blond, come over and say hi... but don't get too close, since if I actually show up, it means I had to kill my parents. ;) --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:46:57 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: TMBG Merchandise (How long will it take?) Okay, I've made up my mind about what I'd like to order from the info club. How's this? The Bird Shirt (the bird showing off his brains), Why Does The Sun Shine? cd single, Back To Skull cd single, S-E-X-X-Y cd single, and and the video compilation. This should set me back about $60. Anyway, if I should order now, how long will it take for the stuff to get in my mailbox? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:07:14 -0500 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: > > PEOPLE MagAzine has a review of FS and a cute picture of john and john, john > linnell has his ACCORDION!!!!!!!!!! there standing sideways,a little weird. > cool. well,check it out!!!!! (the review is pretty good) The review is also on People's web page at http://pathfinder.com/@@VIOjHAUAGDZnORig/people/weekly/picksnpans/song/song3.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:57:46 -0400 From: JJ Subject: TMBG: I LOVE TMBG!!! I must now take this moment to profess my undying love for one of the greatest bands ever to be known on earth. My love for TMBG has reached new heights after seeing them live for the very first time. I am in an awe so overwhelming that I actually want to BE John Linnel. (Of course I do love Flansburgh as well, but if I had to pick a favorite of the two it would have to be Linnel) My heart practically came to a stop when I heard Linnel's voice echo through the stadium carrying words all to familiar to me. $25 may be a bit much for 30 min. of TMBG but I have come to the conclusion that it was really worth it for now I am in pure ecstasy :) *I'm not actually your friend, but I am* ~Sarah ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:59:08 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: brooms & hair > Hey, what do you have against brooms? They're peaceful and fun-loving, just > like you and me. I have purple hair too, and I'd definitely bring a broom. For the record, I have absolutely nothing against brooms. However, I do have a problem with brooms in a mosh pit, because, as Matt stated, they are long and have handles and bristles and could be quite damaging to not only to you, the carrier of the broom, but also to the people around you. And someone from Manhattan or surrounding areas back me up here: The likelihood that the people at Roseland will let you inside with a broom is fairly slim. Roseland has a reputation, and rightfully so, for being moshers heaven. So, I can promise everyone who is going to be at the Roseland show that there will be moshing. As we all know there has been moshing at TMBG shows in the past, the Academy show of April 1, 1995 being one, so don't think that just because it's TMBG there won't be violence. I realize that the broom thing is perceived of as a good way to distinguish onesself in a crowd. But let's think of the safety issues. I'm not trying to be your mother, but I will be in the front, and I really don't want to get hurt just because someone is trying to prove their individuality. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:51:20 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: TMBG: who am I? Well, since everybody else is doing it, I guess that I will too. My name is Katie and I go to Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. My other home is in a burb of Chicago. I am 17 and a frosh this year. I play on the varsity tennis team, and I just found out that I am going to the Rolex Tournament (a huge tournament at William and Mary). Very few frosh will be there, so I feel cool. :) My hobbies? Well, I LOVE listening to music. I have WAY too many CDs, and I love all of them!! Tennis is obviously a hobbie, and I am thinking of doing both track (throwing discus) and tennis in the spring season. In D 1 sports, you can play an off-season sport (tennis) and on an in-season sport at the same time (if you are crazy enough). My other hobbies are hanging out with all of my friends here (instead of doing work of course) and drinking. I'm not an alcoholic, but I do love to drink on the weekends (Thurs nights count too). :) Well, I think that I've spent enough of your precious time, so I'll stop my post here. :) Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:03:00 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: Spiraling Shape@ What the hell are the words in the very last two verses Sounds sumpthint like "Don't spin in the grass if you like wandering..." I know these words are wrong but they'd be good ones anyway! +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:16:01 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape@ >What the hell are the words in the very last two verses > >"Don't spin in the grass if you like wandering..." "Don't spend the rest of your life wondering." Please check www.tmbg.org if you have lyric questions. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:25:35 -0700 From: jenn Subject: TMBG: Re: Mulling over FS. Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > Pet Name (still sounds exactly like Ben Folds Five, though) wow, i don't think that at all. i love ben folds five and Pet Name is one of my least favorite songs on FS. (it might be my *least* favorite, in fact.) jenn _____________________________________________________________________ The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:00:16 -0700 From: jenn Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: your mail David Simpson wrote: > > > help > > Uhh.. Krakow was the capitol of Poland until the 1600s and 2-3 is not > 17. How's that? > > Dave Simpson that was *no* help at all. jenn interesting TMBG note: a lot of people have noted that Istanbul (Not Constantinople) or Particle Man was the first TMBG song they've heard. do you think this is because of the tiny toons episode? do you think some of Flood's popularity came about because of tiny toons? does this thought depress anyone else? _____________________________________________________________________ The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:32:21 +1000 From: bretth@dist.gov.au (Brett Harrison) Subject: TMBG: Australian FS I could quote all that has gone before on this subject, but I know how much I hate that :) Anyway, I ordered mine from CDNow on the web and it arrived on my doorstep on the 11th of Oct. And the best bit was that it worked out to be a grand total of A$25. So I think I win :) I did have a look around when I was up in Sydney last week for it and none of the big stores had it (I don't know where any of the specialist stores are up there :( ) But here in Canberra it was available on import for $35. Ouch! Roll on January or February or whenever They get here :) Brett bretth@dist.gov.au PS. Why does everyone seem to hate Narrow Your Eyes? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:49:18 -0700 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: So much for my theory and that other show on NICK 10th grade, 11th grade...okay so you're not all in college. I should have known from all the references to Nickelodeon. Incidentally, I don't know if any of you Nick watchers have seen it but the ADVENTURES OF PETE & PETE is truly amazing. It is one of the best written comedies on tv with lots of cameos from cult actors and musicians from Iggy Pop to Luscious Jackson to Michael Stipe (Not that he's obscure). This is probably old news to much of you but to those who haven't seen it... Check it out. I think the show is very in line with the kind of sensibility that TMBG fans appreciate. Herne ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-289 ******************************