Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 29 Monday, 29 January 1996 Today's Topics: tapes/cd/videos palindrome emordnilap Re: you know.. Re: tapes/cd/videos Re: you know.. a Re: you know.. Re: touche...or is it? AKA Driver We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: AKA Driver Dial-A-Song tape Re: you know.. Re: palindrome emordnilap Re: palindrome emordnilap mene mene whosenfacen? Like a Flansburgh Re: touche...or is it? flame incoming! Media Watch Pt. IV Re: Media Watch Pt. IV Re: touche...or is it? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:23:36 -0500 Subject: tapes/cd/videos Someone mentioned seeing TMBG videos on TV. Since I'm such a sped/loser (not literally! :) I've yet to see even one. If anyone(God bless their little soul) has recorded any/all of their videos, please email me at: M3MEEBKM @AOL.COM Much Thanks, THE Erika ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:46:59 -0500 Subject: palindrome emordnilap Why is it that "palindrome" ISN'T one? Just thought I'd ask. THE Erika ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:02:55 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: you know.. On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Rabbit Ears wrote: > you know, i really enjoy it when i frequently hear Them on the radio and on > tv, but i believe those stupid tv people should STOP playing snail > shell!!!!!!!!!!! between that and istanbul, i'm getting really > irritatted... > -- > > :Rabbit Ears: > Where are you hearing Them on TV & radio?!? According to the stations by me, They do not exist. I'm so jealous. I don't even get to hear Istanbul! (grump) If you know of any NY or Philly stations that broadcast TMBG, let me know...... I would like to hear snail shell....... Luv, 'Nette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:14:59 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: tapes/cd/videos On Sun, 28 Jan 1996 M3MEEBKM@aol.com wrote: > Someone mentioned seeing TMBG videos on TV. Since I'm such a sped/loser > (not literally! :) I've yet to see even one. If anyone(God bless their > little soul) has recorded any/all of their videos, please email me at: > M3MEEBKM @AOL.COM > Much Thanks, > THE Erika > I have also never seen a video by Them. I just can't get into MTV enough to watch it long enough to have one of the songs by the great ones materialize. :( I've heard you can order tapes of the videos, or something, but don't ask me where ('cause I don't know.....) Luv, 'Nette PS I still think Linnell is cuter. If anybody wishes to have a deciding say in this, I will start accepting votes, and send back the result in a week. However, the results are just to show a general opinion, and not an attempt to sway anybody's tastes. Or prove I'm right. Or something. :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:40:47 -0500 Subject: Re: you know.. From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) On Jan 28, 1996 12:02:55, 'Frosty the Supervisor ' wrote: >Where are you hearing Them on TV & radio?!? According to the stations by >me, They do not exist. I'm so jealous. I don't even get to hear Istanbul! >(grump) If you know of any NY or Philly stations that broadcast TMBG, let >me know...... I would like to hear snail shell....... > >Luv, >'Nette ok, to all you pondering souls out there.. i feel as if i should tell you where i hear it.. now normally i'm not one to be watching tv, but try watching mtv.. they play Them regularly on sandblast (snail shell most of the time) and every once and a while, they'll play them on a local radio station called 103X, home of the ever stupid caroline who feels as if everybody always forgets her name so everytime she get's on she goes "hi, my name is caroline" but anyway.................................................................... -- :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ From: LadyTink@aol.com Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:47:22 -0500 Subject: a unsubsribe tmbg-list ladytink@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:18:56 -0500 From: John Murray Subject: Re: you know.. Frosty the Supervisor wrote: > > On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Rabbit Ears wrote: > > > you know, i really enjoy it when i frequently hear Them on the radio and on > > tv, but i believe those stupid tv people should STOP playing snail > > shell!!!!!!!!!!! between that and istanbul, i'm getting really > > irritatted... > > -- > > > > :Rabbit Ears: > > > Where are you hearing Them on TV & radio?!? According to the stations by > me, They do not exist. I'm so jealous. I don't even get to hear Istanbul! > (grump) If you know of any NY or Philly stations that broadcast TMBG, let > me know...... I would like to hear snail shell....... > > Luv, > 'Nette > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions > "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to > distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" > ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ WHFS(99.1) in DC, and Baltimore plays a TMBG song about once a week. Stuff like Don't lets Start, Ang ng, Birdhouse, Snail Shell. But I'm at school and I can't get HFS and we only get crap, from Ronoke, VA at leaest you get crap from NY AND Philly. -- ( John Murray /\ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ ) ( /\ Unoffical Pritchard Hall Web Site & ) ( http://jmurray.async.vt.edu /\ Mailing List Admin ) ( "I Should be Allowed to Glue My Poster" -TMBG ) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:44:46 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: touche...or is it? Look. This has to be the STUPIDEST conversation I've seen on the list thus far. They have gone on record, in interviews and such, as saying that Ana Ng lives in either Vietnam or China (I can't remember which). They themselves have solved the problem. ANA NG is a SONG... it does not have to be factually correct. It is poetry set to music. Things about shooting holes perpindicular through the Earth is a nifty way of saying that this girl LIVES ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD, and according to John and John, SHE LIVES IN EITHER CHINA OR VIETNAM (I forget which). So stop it already! flame away... lebo ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:30:13 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: AKA Driver Hey world, Out of curiosity, why aren't the AKA Driver lyrics in the John Henry fold? I've been told it isn't by them but, and I quote it: All songs They Might Be Giants except "AKA Driver" TMBG/Maimone/Doherty It's not like they are doing a songs someone else wrote--did they just run out of room or what? I mean, if I remember correctly (please tell me if I'm wrong), Saphire Bullets is by the Meat Puppets and they still put the lyrics in the Flood fold! Tell! Want: I Palindrome I Single (Cabbagetown, especially) The Power of Dial-A-Song Any Bootlegs Access to a concert...;) Since someone complained, here's what's on Super Suit at the moment: 25)Pencil Rain 24)They Might Be Giants 23)32 Footsteps 22)Particle Man 21)Dead 20)Istanbul (Not...) 19)Rhythm Section Want Ad 18)Spy (why) 17)AKA Driver 16)Fingertips 15)Shoehorn with Teeth 14)Birdhouse In Yr Soul 13)Space Suit 12)Narrow Yr Eyes 11)They'll Need a Crane 10)I Palindrome I 9)Mammal 8)Put Yr Hand Inside the Puppet Head 7)Meet James Ensor 6)I Should Be Allowed to Think 5)Destination Moon 4)Snail Shell 3)Why Must I Be Sad? 2)Ana Ng 1)The End of the Tour Remember,these are my opinions. Please send yours--riserboy@aol.com. Sorry this is so f'n long. Dad palindrome dad dad emordnilap dad I palindrome I I emordnalip I ===>Noixe, AKA Riser Boy, AKA Andy. http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/Noixep/htm ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 15:02:07 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Okay. Here's the idea, stolen from other people on the list. If you play an instrument, sing, or beat things with sticks, pay attention. Introducing We Wanna Be Giants, Too the soon to be made tape of TMBG songs as covered by a bunch of people on this list. Here's how it works: #1 - VOTE for three songs that you'd like to cover by Them. E'mail it directly to lebo@locke.ccil.org before 2/12/96 #2 - after I post the top three voted songs, strap on your headphones, turn on your tape recorder, and tape yourself playing any of the songs. #3 - send the tape you made to Mike Lebovitz PO Box 1066 Frazer, PA 19355 #4 - I'll combine everything together, mix it down, etc. and mail you the finished product whenever I finish.... so include a return address. and that'll be it. Vote, tape, mail, wait. Four simple steps. It'll be cool, I swear. In order to aviod conflicts in key signatures and tempos, listen to the song in question as you record. questions, comments, lawsuits... lebo@locke.ccil.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: AKA Driver Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:34:22 -0500 (EST) > Out of curiosity, why aren't the AKA Driver lyrics in the John Henry fold? > I've been told it isn't by them but, and I quote it: Legal reasons. They didn't want to have to print the name 'Niquil' anywhere in the lyrics since it's a trademarked name. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:26:19 -0600 (CST) From: Andrew Petrowsky Subject: Dial-A-Song tape Does anyone know where I can get this tape. And Does it even exist? I was asked about getting it from my webpage, and I'd never heard of it. andy ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: you know.. Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 17:24:23 -0500 (EST) > > Where are you hearing Them on TV & radio?!? According to the stations by > > me, They do not exist. I'm so jealous. I don't even get to hear Istanbul! > > (grump) If you know of any NY or Philly stations that broadcast TMBG, let > > me know...... I would like to hear snail shell....... > > > > Luv, > > 'Nette > > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions > > "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to > > distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" > > ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ > > WHFS(99.1) in DC, and Baltimore plays a TMBG song about once a week. Stuff > like Don't lets Start, Ang ng, Birdhouse, Snail Shell. But I'm at school and I > can't get HFS and we only get crap, from Ronoke, VA at leaest you get crap from > NY AND Philly. I wasn't aware that HFS played them so much, I rarely if ever hear a TMBG song in a long time on that statin. They also tend to skip over their upcoming concerts in the area for TMBG and go right ahead to the more "popular" groups. I thin they did announce the TMBG/NRBQ concert at Wolf Trap though when that happened in 1994. Oh we3ll, I think I'll rely on the CDs 8-) -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 16:25:54 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: palindrome emordnilap The same reason why there is a symbol for Anarchy, and phonics isn't spelled with an F. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) On Sun, 28 Jan 1996 M3MEEBKM@aol.com wrote: > Why is it that "palindrome" ISN'T one? Just thought I'd ask. > THE Erika > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 18:41:28 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: palindrome emordnilap And why short is longer than long... because words don't represent their own definitions. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ From: Beezus5084@aol.com Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 20:02:40 -0500 Subject: mene mene whosenfacen? What is all this razzamatazz? What does "mene mene tekel upharsin" mean? slightly confused, Beezus ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:22:29 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Like a Flansburgh > No, I think most people agree that Ng is a Chinese name. > (Nguyen is a very popular Vietnamese name and probably started > the confusion.) >Moot point! China's in the northern hemisphere too. My point still stands..= ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 18:42:53 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: touche...or is it? On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > Look. This has to be the STUPIDEST conversation I've seen on the list > thus far. They have gone on record, in interviews and such, as saying Conversations like this are what make the mailing list worth being on. Just because it has already been explained doesn't mean we can't talk about it. *------------------------------------------------------------- |garthi@teleport.com | "These go up to 11" -Nigel Tuffnel| |----------------------| ------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 21:14:19 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: flame incoming! > Look. This has to be the STUPIDEST conversation I've seen on the list > thus far... (blah blah blah)... > flame away... Happy to oblige: look, i'm sorry this discussion pissed you off so much (actually, no - i'm not) but it wasn't meant to be an argument and it wasn't meant to be taken as seriously as you obviously took it. if you read my posts you'll notice that i acknowledge this to be an irrelevant topic of conversation and that i realize that the song is neither factually accurate nor intended to be, regardless of whether or not it should have to be (it doesn't). besides, i don't care. we were simply trying to determine in which direction water would drain in whatever part of the world ana ng lives, a topic brought up by somebody else entirely and perpetuated by contributions from several people other than myself. i understand perfectly well that neither john has any intention of shooting a hole in the globe; i'm quite familiar with the concept of artistic license, thank you. and if this is the dumbest conversation you've ever seen, you must not have been here very long. that's kind of the point - if i want to talk about something truly relevant and meaningful to the world, and i occasionally do, i log off and talk to actual people, you know - "irl", instead of screwing around with pinheads like you who have nothing better to do than flame me for taking a discussion too far. while i'm the first to admit that it was completely pointless, you are totally unjustified in asking me to stop. why? that entire thread ran its course in about 5 hours' time - i got bored and dropped it waaaaay back last friday, remember? before the weekend even started? now you clutter up my mailbox, nearly three days later, over a thread which lived out its whole meaningless life in a single afternoon. yes, it's a stupid conversation! and so is which john would you date, and so is horns vs. no horns! they're stupid and they're fun! that's why most of us are on the list - we like stupid conversation, TMBG related and otherwise. it's also the reason i'm wasting my time reaming your sorry whining ass. why are you here? to meet girls? do you hope to get into a really meaningful philosophical discourse on Their music? if so, i've got news for you: TMBG may be the greatest band in the world, but they're still a band, not an ideology, and you can't have a discussion group limited exclusively to the discussion of any band without a fair amount of pretty vapid subject matter. wake up! this thread is ancient history. if you must bitch and complain, at least complain about something topical. everybody else: sorry for the excessive spam, but somebody's gotta keep the 'net safe for pointless explication of old news! They Might Be Josh 1st real live flame & it feels great! man, that was longg... -- -----<[([ Josh Raulerson, King of the Little People })]>----- BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu * :)-- <-- drooling smiley The Fauves Homepage: http://www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html "Once I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)!"### ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 21:28:16 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: Media Watch Pt. IV Honk if you caught "why does the sun shine" on dr. demento this week!! (beep beep) -- -----<[([ Josh Raulerson, King of the Little People })]>----- BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu * :)-- <-- drooling smiley The Fauves Homepage: http://www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html "Once I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)!"### ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 23:06:32 -0600 (CST) From: Jenny Klauke Subject: Re: Media Watch Pt. IV On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Joshua T. Raulerson wrote: > > > Honk if you caught "why does the sun shine" on dr. demento this week!! > > (beep beep) > OH, happiness, happiness. I was listening to Dr. Demento, when WDTSS started. I started hopping up and down blissfully, when the phone rang. And joy of joys, it was my radio station people, telling me I got the show I wanted! I think, in their own special way, They helped me get my radio show. Or not. But it makes for a good story. -Jenny, who's got this groovy radio show called "Texas Radio" from 5-7 pm on Wednesdays, so if you're ever in College STation, Texas, listen to her. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 00:23:14 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: touche...or is it? okay, guys, enough--we love you Lebo---Josh, I don't think Lebo was trying to upset you--if vapid matter is allowed, then can't lebo write his opinions, too? I understand where you're both coming from, but please don't turn this into a huge argument--this list is for fun! (remember that!) --The Vonnegut Vassal, whose five year mission is to seek out peace... love you both!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-29 *****************************