Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-290 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 290 Wednesday, 23 October 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG in the news TMBG: To Matt Coon: Flame Me, Son of God Re: TMBG: who i am, Macs TMBG: More Flame Me, Son of God TMBG: Omaha concert TMBG: The Bells Are Ringing TMBG: Meeting Them & other stuff TMBG: Re: Mulling over FS. TMBG: re: my mundane existance TMBG: My dinner with Flippy TMBG: Last Call For Wingo TMBG: Who My? TMBG: I AM GOING TO FREAK!!!!! TMBG: TMBG: TMBG: Shep; my cartoon accordian and triangle man TMBG: What are THEY like? TMBG: Oops! TMBG: moods, gits, intros, brooms, MST3K TMBG: Sarahs! Re: TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: Narrow Your Eyes TMBG: never too old for Nick.. TMBG: TMBG coming to Texas? Ever? Re: TMBG: Who My? Oldest?Nope! Re: TMBG: Re: Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs TMBG: Who is going to the L.A.concert? WE ARE! Re: TMBG: never too old for Nick.. TMBG: Re:who am I Re: TMBG: My dinner with Flippy Re: TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: oops, forgot something TMBG: info club TMBG: Back from therapy TMBG: Tiny Toons Re: TMBG: Meeting Them & other stuff TMBG: My first two songs TMBG: Meeting THem Returned mail: User unknown TMBG: RE: Youth Culture Killed My Mac Re: TMBG: Meeting Them & other stuff TMBG: Another TMBG: Just Checking TMBG: KITH??? TMBG: My after dinner drink with Mr. Flippy Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape@ TMBG: We want a rock TMBG: People Schmeople! TMBG: Lyrics to SS? Re: TMBG: Re:who am I TMBG: Re: What's us with Ian Re: TMBG: My dinner with Flippy TMBG: Blah BLah BLah, Shmakitty Skmakitty TMBG: Re: TMBG Mailing list Stats TMBG: List stats TMBG: Re: HCISLAG - Solved! Secret is out! Kinda! Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash TMBG: RE: TMBG at Wherehouse Re: TMBG: RE: Youth Culture Killed My Mac TMBG: Know how you feel Kathleen:) TMBG: Who am I? Re: TMBG: who are you Re: TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy TMBG: Popularity from Tiny Toons? TMBG: Who Am I? Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash TMBG: JH TMBG: Recording Shows?!?!?!? Re: TMBG: Re: your mail Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! TMBG: More chord stuff... Re: TMBG: who i am, Macs Re: TMBG: The Bells Are Ringing TMBG: Re: who am I Re: TMBG: I AM GOING TO FREAK!!!!! TMBG: People Magazine, Their photos. TMBG: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS Re: TMBG: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS TMBG: re:show in L.A. Re: TMBG: Who Am I? Re: TMBG: KITH??? Re: TMBG: More chord stuff... Re:TMBG:Who Am I? Re: TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy TMBG: Happy happy happy, and stuff Re: TMBG: I AM GOING TO FREAK!!!!! TMBG: TMBG are coming to Milwaukee! TMBG: Metal Detector Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 03:04:12 -0400 (EDT) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in the news Hi all Well, as you may or may not know, They Might Be Giants passed through the lovely town of Totonot last Wednesday, dragging behind them the cumbersome bulk that is Hootie and the Blowfish. On Thrusday a local newspaper, The Totonot Star, printed a review of the show. Needless to say, they didn't think much of Hootie. However, the last paragraph of the article was as follows: "If anyone was able to offer a measure of intimacy, it was that New York band of musical eccentrics, They Might Be Giants. The seven musicians succeeded where the others had difficulty simply because their brand of quirky melodies, warped lyrics and sci-fi song stylings on such tracks as 'Till My Head Falls Off,' 'Spy' and 'Istanbul' is so out-in-left-field, it can play well anywhere." Sure, the reviewer did use the 'q' word, but it's quite obvious that TMBG were the highlight of the two hour show, even though they only did a 30 minute set. People that went to the show for Hootie came out looking for TMBG albums! Makes you wonder who should be opening for whom. Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Gonna make you beg, gonna make you spread your legs ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:12:32 -0700 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: To Matt Coon: Flame Me, Son of God Matt Coon...you crack me up. You even flame people you agree with. The point of "A FAN of TMBG Proclaims..." was about the tone of the List...if memory serves (I really must rethink whether to keep receiving this as a digest. It's so much harder to refer back.)...not a detailed commentary on FS. It should also be noted that for many people it's harder to write in depth about why they like something than why they hate it...especially when it's as new as FS. AND...since you flamed me on the most recent list...although it was a minor flame...let me return the favor...correct me if I'm wrong but last time I checked this list was about singing the joys of TMBG and other vaguely related things and not about you pontificating about the "...need to be courteous about the listing community at large." I mean come on! You basically call me a jerk-off for defending Top 5 Lists and then you go off and do your own wank about how things would be if you ran the list. If we all sat and wondered if everything we had to say was "moderately substantive" to YOU then what would be the point? Did you post a top 5 or a bottom 5 or a Best To Worst Album list? I can't remember. I'd love to read it along with the detailed reasons behind the choices. If I have to wait for your Top 5 sub-page...then so be it. In fact just give me a hug you cranky bastard! Peace, Herne the Hunter P.S. thanks for the tip about the X-Files site. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:18:18 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: who i am, Macs Hello 41- Stats on the Nit: I am 17 years old, 18 on the 13th of November, just in time for the Combustable Edison show! Send me happy birthday mail, and the sun will shine brighter. I live in Orlando right now, and am a recent export from Chicago. I do TMBG, my Mac, movies, college, I'm in 13th grade BTW. 13 is my lucky number. I am not a cool guy. I like to watch. My back hurts. Mac stuff: I own a Performa 6200 CD, really groovy. On my Apple Audio CD player, I just can't play Token. It lets me play it... Adam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:35:31 -0700 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: More Flame Me, Son of God One more thing to Mr. Coon... While the idea of a TOP 5 Page has merit, I don't know if it would solve the problem; although to me it isn't a problem to begin with. Top Five posts would probably just be replaced with "Did you read the latest TOP 5 updates and what did you think?" posts...which is of course basically the same thing. But hey why not? Can never have too much information on TMBG related matters. Well I'm off to bed, Herne the Hunter ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Omaha concert From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:23:59 EDT Anybody here from Omaha planning to go to the concert on Oct. 26? I'm feeling somewhat sad because my girlfriend can't go. At least one other of my friends is attending. I shall be wearing Flannell and possibly my TMBG "racing" shirt (if it comes in the mail before Saturday eve), and may be carrying a broom. Oh, yeah. I'll probably be in the front row if I can get to it, then I'm leaving right when Hootie plays their first chord or something like that. Hey, it's just $28 (I guess I should buy my ticket now in case it sells out). Done with my parenthetical references (for now, he he he), Tim Lloyd fdp@juno.com Omaha, NE, USA "You only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 17:36:42 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: TMBG: The Bells Are Ringing Hiya people, I would just like to proclaim my love for The Bells Are Ringing!!! Some people have said that they can't stand this song, but I think it's extremely catchy and the lyrics are GREAT!!! Just get the lyrics out and sing along to it and you just have to love it!!! Well, I do anyway and that;s what matters most. I just had to say that about one of my favourite TMBG songs of all time. Ad. ______________________ | Ad | | custer@ros.com.au | |Get out your big stick| |and beat the hell out | | of anything that | | stands in your way | |______________________| ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Meeting Them & other stuff From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 01:13:39 EDT This is my first post to the list (hi everybody). I am a 26 year old newlywed living in Athens, Georgia. I'm here pursuing a Master's degree in early childhood education while my husband attends law school at UGA. He turned me on to Them by buying me Lincoln about two years ago and I've been hooked ever since. I just saw Them for the first time recently (it was great). Anyway, enough about me, I wanted to know if anybody on the list has met Them. If so, what were they like? What was the situation? I know little about Them aside from the FAQ and the official and unofficial web pages and was interested in hearing some stories. Also, does anyone know why They don't collarborate more on songs these days? I know they do work on a few songs together, but it seems like They work separately quite a bit. Just wonderin'. Jen ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Mulling over FS. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 05:11:13 EDT On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:25:35 -0700 jenn writes: >Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > >> Pet Name (still sounds exactly like Ben Folds Five, though) > >wow, i don't think that at all. i love ben folds five and Pet Name is one of my >least favorite songs on FS. (it might be my *least* favorite, in fact.) Well, I classify it as "Bad BF5" as in, what a bad BF5 song would sound like if there were such a thing... Yes, I love BF5 too... so much that I have a web page that is going to have a boot trading page... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: Jonathan Mackie Subject: TMBG: re: my mundane existance Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:37:57 +0100 (BST) Right, fine, I didn't want to do it, but the hordes (?) of people giving us their lives has spurred me on to do exactly the same.... I'm Jonathan Mackie, I'm 17 and I'm a First Year at Aberdeen Uni. here in Bonnie Scotland. I do a fanzine (called Rocket Powered GHerkins from outer space, plug plug) I drink a lot of alcohol (especially Guinness), I listen to: bis, pink kross, delgados, urusei yatsura, TMBG(obv.), dubstar, prodigy, yunny fur, supernaturals, dodgy, ash, pulp, arab strap, etc etc etc- anything obscure or good. I'm doing POlitics and Economics in this city, I'm originally from Glasgow, Scotland, and I used to stay in Lock Haven, PA, a daft wee town famous for Piper Cub airplanes (well. it used to be until they moved the factory to Korea....). I play soocer a lot (not very well) and play for the University Volleyball team. Pretty dull life, huh? bis homepage: http://www.nstop.com/nonstop/bis cool online zine thing http://www.shore1.net/nonstop ---------------------- Mad Macs ua6jm@abdn.ac.uk "This could be the start of it all We all want the system to fall Get it right down on it's knees Cause we were born in the seventies!" bis - "teen-c power!" single 1995 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 03:44:43 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG: My dinner with Flippy Me: Hello, Mr. Flippy. Mr. Flippy: Shut the fuck up, you fat bastard. Me: What? Mr. Flippy: Nothing. So let's talk about the new stuff on my web page. Me: Um, okay, I thought you called me here to talk about last night but I guess we can talk about the web page. Is there anything new on it? Mr. Flippy: Oh yes. Me: Well what, dammit? Mr. Flippy: The TMBG page has been expanded, with information on the new album, what's new for the band, it even has a .wav file of a new song which is not on the album, a live version of "Reprehensible"! Me: Oh that's a great song! What happened to the Older .wav? Mr. Flippy: Gone. Reprehensible is in its place. Me: Ah. Cool. Anything else? Mr. Flippy: Oh yes. There's also fascinating stories about the August concert in DC and the September show in Providence. And the TMBG trade list is bigger than ever, much like my love for myself. Me: That sounds cool. Mr. Flippy: I hate you. Me: What? Mr. Flippy: Oh nothing. Elsewhere on the page, there are four new original stories to read and enjoy, bringing the grand total to 12 or something, I can't remember. My minions never stop writing these weird little tales. Some of them are really violent and amoral, my kind of stuff. And others will warm the cockles of your heart. Me: Gee willikers. It sounds like your web page is just chock full of incredible stuff and it just never stops getting bigger! Mr. Flippy: I'm going to run you over with my car, you petulant turd. Me: Okay. Can you pass the rolls? http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 06:46:19 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Last Call For Wingo Okay everyone, I've zipped up my wingo.wav and I will send it out this afternoon when I get home from school. If you haven't requested the wav file, please do so now if you want to have it. The zipped file is about 1.3 mb. I also have a recording of Maine, but it is very low quality. Anyone interested in that? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:22:16 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: Who My? Good thread, this. I do believe I'm the oldest lister, tipping the scales at 36. Yup, I've seen Joe Cocker in concert (remember him?), Jethro Tull, and even Kansas, not to mention TMBG twice. I remember when Jim Morrison was alive. I remember the Beatles before they broke up! Keep in mind, fellow listies, I'm about the same age as the Johns. respect your elders. I'm a teacher of Fine Art/ Computer Graphics at a small Univ. on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. I have a classic Jaguar, and most of my own hair. Anyone as old as me? My students know TMBG, I even sometimes include TMBG trivia in exams. Long may They wave. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: TMBG: I AM GOING TO FREAK!!!!! Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 06:58:15 -0500 I just checked that performancemag place and they are playing 45 minutes away in Madison, WI on the 30th!!!!! I CANT BELIVE IT!!! Now what the hell do i have to do to get tickets???? PLEASE HELP! _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: TMBG: Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 8:37:17 18000 Hmm..... just wondering why all the subject lines are now prefaced with TMBG: -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:28:18 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Shep; my cartoon accordian and triangle man hello Giant-ers! Guess I have to pass this along... I was listening to Shep (remember him?)'s radio show last night, and it turns out it was his last show (???), but that's besides the point. He played "S-E-X-X-Y" and was talking about how there's all this talk about a genetics theme on the mailing list. :) That was the major point, but I'll say more too. The reason Shep's been gone is he got fired from Xerox, sooo I guess that explains it. He does have another email: shep@hotliquid.com but I haven't gotten any replies from there. Just thought I'd let you guys in on it. And for the big news!! :D I made my own animated gifs! Awright! There's an accordian and a goofy triangle man. Check 'em out if your browser supposts 'em. If not, well check 'em out anyway, but the accordian most likely will look weird. The URL is in my sig thang. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:49:58 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: What are THEY like? Jen wrote: help What can I say but "oops". I was trying to get help on how exactly I send a message to the list, since I get the digest. I found out, but not exactly the way I expected. Thanks to all those people who emailed me and asked if I was OK and offered their help. Anyway, now I have everyone's attention, let me tell you about some They Might Be Giantsy things that relate to me :) I remember, years and years ago, seeing the film clip to Ana Ng on Rage, quite a few times, and thinking it was very strange, but not taking much notice besides that. Then one day (much later), a friend of mine who was quite into TMBG brought around Apollo 18, which had just come out, as well as bringing the TMBG video compilation. We were sitting around, listening to CD's and after Apollo 18 had been on for a while I started listening to the words. The song was "She's Actual Size", and I remember thinking how weird and amusing the song was. I like weird, and so instantly liked the band and the song. Later that night we watched the video and I recognised the Ana Ng filmclip and liked the band even more. I also finally understood what the heck a bunch of other friends of mine were on about, as they were often singing "I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend but really I'm not actually your friend, but I am". The next day I kept breaking into the strange run that they do in the Ana Ng film clip :) Anyway, my friend taped Apollo 18 and Lincoln for me, and over the next year or so I bought Flood, the self-titled album and then John Henry. I introduced TMBG to about half a dozen of my other friends, who all thought they were great. When they toured here (Sydney, Australia) I naturally went and saw them, and loved every minute, bought the T-Shirt and put my name on the fan-club list. I then went TMBG crazy. I bought Apollo 18, Lincoln, Miscellaneous T and Why Does The Sun Shine? all together, not long after the show. I found the video. I looked for web pages, mailing lists, etc etc. Thanks to everyone who contributes here. By reading your messages, I found out about Mono Puff, and went and bought the CD. The day after I read about it here, they played the video to The Devil Went To Newport on Rage, and I probably would have missed it totally if I hadn't heard of Mono Puff! I read about Factory Showroom, and pre-ordered it through cdnow and had it here on the 17th, costing me around $24 Australian (including postage etc), without having to try and get to a music store. And thanks to those people who pointed out the hidden track, I never would have found it otherwise! I can't wait to see TMBG again when they tour here next year! My favourite 5 songs would be (hmm, this is difficult!): 1. Birdhouse In Your Soul 2. We Want A Rock 3. Hey, Mr DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal 4. Don't Let's Start 5. Lady Is A Tramp Well, probably, anyway. I like almost all of them, the top five varies day to day :) I love Factory Showroom, my favourtite tracks are Metal Detector, Exquisite Dead Guy, How Can I Sing Like A Girl?, Till My Head Falls Off and I Can Hear You. Probably. I love all of them, really. I guess my least favourites would be XTC vs. Adam Ant and James K. Polk. The only TMBG tracks I wouldn't rather not hear are track 13 off miscellaneous T, and You'll Miss Me (from Lincoln). Enough for now, Simon =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Simon "Monty Python" Droscher | It is up to people like you and me who = are=20 Email: monty@zeta.org.au | out of our tiny little minds to try and Web: www.zeta.org.au/~monty | help these people overcome their sanity. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:44:18 -0400 Subject: TMBG: moods, gits, intros, brooms, MST3K >It's kinda like when you're in one mood, you pick out THEY, >when you're in another, you put on some Rage...Ya know what I >mean. Uh..no. Sorry. RATM is my *least* favourite 'band' (and I use band loosely). >Hope you guys have fun listening to the new album. Gits. Um...uh, I've heard this a few times, and I'm finally asking..what is a "git"??? Re: MST3K: >Oddly, this is the second time in 2 hours I have shared this >info with someone. Weird eh, it's popping up on alt.tv.kids-in-hall too. >NO! >The "introduction" thread must die a permanent death. Aw come on, you don't have to read them, do you? Who's gonna force you?? >Look in the paper... don't blame me if the guy's a nut! > >m@t > >[LOL] Hehe! :D > PS. Why does everyone seem to hate Narrow Your Eyes? I don't. And lemme just say that gosh, I feel like such a trend-setter mentioning this broom bringing thing! :) (Yes..*I* was the one..) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "If you've come for all polka all night, you've come to the wrong place." - John Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:44:21 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Sarahs! >*I'm not actually your friend, but I am* >~Sarah Eeek! Another one??? Okay. I've had enuff. :) All of you with my name, email me and also tell me your age (just outta curiousity). This seems like the most common female name (wasn't it on the TMBGer name poll thing a couple months back?) on here, and I'm just curious how many of us there are. Lurkers-- you too. I'll post the results eventually. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: your mail Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:11:00 -0500 (CDT) > interesting TMBG note: a lot of people have noted that Istanbul (Not > Constantinople) or Particle Man was the first TMBG song they've heard. > do you think this is because of the tiny toons episode? do you think > some of Flood's popularity came about because of tiny toons? does this > thought depress anyone else? Hrm... I don't know... My first They experience was on a bus on the way to a Marching Band competition in the back seat, when I first heard the marvelous sounds of INC running back from the bus... It was wonderful, and we listened to the whole tape millions of times... It was so confusing; I kept on asking, "What? They Might be Giants?" (wheels churning slowly in my brain...) I don't _think_ that it had anything to do with Tiny Toons... But yes, I think that _would_ kind of depress me... ;) Catch ya'll later! -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by GRASS / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:20:44 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Narrow Your Eyes I LOVE narrow your eyes.. Apollo 18 was the first one I ever heard.. well.. I did hear "Whistling in the Dark" in my art class a long time ago.. but I didn't know who it was.. I found out after I bought Flood, which was my first one at the encouragement of the friend who had introduced my to Apollo 18. I still like Apollo better.. and I used to hate fingertips. But anyways.. I just wanted to assure Brett that I adore "Narrow Your Eyes". It's the first song that I fell in love with. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:23:57 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: never too old for Nick.. I have watched Pete and Pete.. and I'm in college.. so wadda tryin to say? I love love love love love the song at the beginning by "Polaris".. and have annoyed many a clerk tring to find a cd by this band which noone seems to have heard of. So.. can anyone help? Probably not.. Oh well.. Heather ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:00:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Bryan Shelton Subject: TMBG: TMBG coming to Texas? Ever? Hey all, I've just moved down to Texas and I was wondering if They has ever played down here in the Lone Star state, and if they ever will. It seems most of the shows are out in the midwest and they travel south very infrequently. Please let me know. Also, how long is the FS tour supposed to be? At tmbg.com they seem to only announce the current months tour dates which doesn't help for planning. Thanks....the quote below was inspired by Dinner Bell.... -Bryan Bryan Shelton /------URL: http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~shelton/ -----\ /------------/Graduate Student |Electrical Engineering - Solid State| | bsshelton@mail.utexas.edu | The University of Texas at Austin| >---------------------------------------------------------------------< | Bry's Quip of the Week: | | "Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?" | \---------------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:32:22 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: Re: TMBG: Who My? Oldest?Nope! Oh Marc, Marc, Mark....... You are a mere babe in the woods! As a lot of people on this list know, I am 42 years(I don't let them forget it!) and my husband is 48 but he doesn't post so I guess that doesn't count.. HEY HERME! See this.. another living archive for obscure information! Glad to see you oldsters are coming out of the woodwork! I was raised on Spike Jones records- that may be a reason for my great fondness for They Might Be Giants! I SAW the Beatles in concert! August 28th 1966- the second to the last concert they ever did! I saw the Monkees, Kinks, Standells(!), Elton John, David Bowie, Billy Joel, Canned Heat and on and on...Most of them when I was younger than most of these listers! Even so I do think these kids are above average in intelligence and taste! It suprises the heck out of me- how much they know! Still, you kiddies must remember that our life experiences hold a vast storehouse of knowledge for your TMBG lyric references! It is yours for the asking! Nice to hear from you Marc! Kathleen ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mr. Mootrey's Desert Island Discs Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:49:25 -0500 (CDT) Matthew James writes: > > Moxy Fruvous (of Canadian fame) did a song called Gord's Gold (about > Gordon Lightfoot, also of Canadian fame) and it's a good short song but > I think it might be a parody of his music ;) I just got my "b album" from the Fruvous Quill and this song is hilarious! It sounds *exactly* like Gordon Lightfoot's voice. -- John Iacoletti IBM RS/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. This is probably not a coincidence." - John Dodge in PCWeek ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:45:36 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: Who is going to the L.A.concert? WE ARE! Well, I did it! I went out and got 9 tickets to the Nov.22 TMBG concert! $211.00!! OUCH! I hope I get paid back soon by the other 4 people we are bringing! I am a bit worried about what it will be like though. As I mentioned before we saw Them 4 years ago and it was a disaster. We could not recognize any of the songs, the sound was so bad! The only good part was when They brought a radio up and changed the channels to sing songs along with the radio! That was the only part we could hear. The music was recorded (like it used to be) and was so loud and distorted that we had long term ear damage and no fun. Please tell me it wont be like that!! We have long said that our favorite band had the worst concert we ever went to. It was not Their fault though! So now I am in debt but excited!E- Mail me if you are going too! Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:09:37 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: never too old for Nick.. On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Heather Tinkler wrote: > I have watched Pete and Pete.. and I'm in college.. so wadda tryin to > say? I love love love love love the song at the beginning by > "Polaris".. and have annoyed many a clerk tring to find a cd by this > band which noone seems to have heard of. So.. can anyone help? > Probably not.. Oh well.. > I can! A year ago or so my friend got a tape of Pete and Pete from a ceral box. It has "hey Sandy" on it plus a couple of other songs (but not little Pete's favourite song from "A Hard Days Pete"- Go fig.). Its most cool. I can copy if for you, or just "Hey Sandy" if you like. Do you have any trades? Anyone else want it as well? My favourite is Artie, the strongest man....In the world! And Endless Mike. With a name like that, he automatically was my favourite character. He's so dumb! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:45:24 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Re:who am I > Heather said: > >you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) Well, I'm 17, a senior, and enjoy the computer, MST3K, coffee, Young Ones , Kids In the Hall, any artwork, seeing how much work I can get out of, and other things I will not mention. Next year i want to major in either art or computer programming. That's me! Is anyone else around right now 'cause I'm bored and on the computer much earlier than usual. I'm sick so I stayed home from school and nothing good is on tv. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:53:43 -0500 From: Jim Doolittle Subject: Re: TMBG: My dinner with Flippy \> Me: Well what, dammit? > Mr. Flippy: The TMBG page has been expanded, with information on > the new album, what's new for the band, it even has a .wav file of > a new song which is not on the album, a live version of > "Reprehensible"! > Me: Oh that's a great song! What happened to the Older .wav? > Mr. Flippy: Gone. Reprehensible is in its place. Oy! I'm glad I got the Older.wav yesterday, then. It kicks ass! (Especially since I've only heard it once, live.) Gonna have to go get the new song...:) Coming soon: my take on TMBG's recent performance w/Hootie last saturday. -Jim (I really have to watch that reply-to header...sorry Mike, you're gonna get this twice....) Jim Doolittle doolittl@uiuc.edu or gimli@avara.com If it weren't for disapointments, To err is human, I wouldn't have any appointments." to moo, bovine. -They Might Be Giants RSC Peer Consultant ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~~`http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl'~"~~'`~'`"``"~"~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:03:34 -0500 From: Jim Doolittle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: your mail >Hrm... I don't know... My first They experience was on a bus on the way >to a Marching Band competition in the back seat, when I first heard the >marvelous sounds of INC running back from the bus... It was wonderful, and >we listened to the whole tape millions of times... It was so confusing; I >kept on asking, "What? They Might be Giants?" (wheels churning slowly in >my brain...) I don't _think_ that it had anything to do with Tiny Toons... Hiya CJ! I must add my two cents...that is where I first heard Them also. On the same bus, even. I remember being very amused by the entire Flood CD. (or was it a tape then?) Anyway, at the time I thought they were a bit of a joke band, until early this year when CJ convinced me to listen to Lincoln, et al. I was rather hooked after that, and the rest, as they say, is history. -Jim Jim Doolittle doolittl@uiuc.edu or gimli@avara.com Don't interupt me as I struggle to complete this thought.========== -They Might Be Giants============RSC Peer Consultant=============== =================http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl=============== ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:07:53 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: oops, forgot something I didn't stat on my who am I mail that I'm Melissa, even though that's the sender name on the mail. Re: MST3K: >Oddly, this is the second time in 2 hours I have shared this >info with someone. Weird eh, it's popping up on alt.tv.kids-in-hall too. Cool, maybe MST3K is taking over! Just as a side point for all you MSTies, do you realize that none of the "original" characters on the show are going to be left next season! Also, since I never stated it before, the first They song I heard was the Theme from Flood becasue my friend played Flood for me. Well, I hope more people post who they are as it is interesting and so that we may "revel in their effervescence." Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:59:42 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: info club >> I was just remembering from when I visited Scotland that sheep >> love to eat heathers >That's funny, the same thing happened to my tape of the movie, too... I was waiting for that pun to crop up... :) >Anyway, if I should order now, how long will it take for the stuff to get in >my mailbox? Look at the fine print that says "Delivery in 6-8 weeks". They're not kidding. I'd say give it a good three months before you write to them and complain. Products from the info club, while nearly always worth the wait, are notoriously slow in coming. Along the same track-- has everyone here gotten their Info CLub newsletter? Because I haven't, and I'm wondering why... have I been judged unworthy? Only 29 days until I see Them live! --nicole the wonder nerd who has an info club number under 40,000. That probably doesn't mean anything. *** ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit the (badly dated) City of Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 14:01:33 -0500 From: TriOmen Subject: TMBG: Back from therapy GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY I'm BAAAAAAAAACK!!! TriOmen@wow.com, The TriOmen, is back on tmbg-list! As you may recall, a while back I sent a chain letter to the list. After that I got many complaints from annoyed recipients. After that, I shaved off all my hair and eyebrows, and went into therapy. But now, I'm back! I've mended my evil ways! AND TMBG RULES!!!!!! Thank you, The TriOmen http://www.angelfire.com/pg0/triomen/index.html ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toons Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 14:24:13 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck jenn wrote: > > interesting TMBG note: a lot of people have noted that Istanbul (Not > Constantinople) or Particle Man was the first TMBG song they've heard. > do you think this is because of the tiny toons episode? do you think > some of Flood's popularity came about because of tiny toons? does this > thought depress anyone else? Actually, while Instanbul (Not Constantinople) was one of the first songs I heard upon being re-introduced to TMBg (long story), it had nothing to do with Tiny Toons. It was at a party and they played and I was like "What *is* this?" At the time (around my freshmen/sophomore year) when Flood came out (it was in '91 or so right?) it seems that at most of the parties I went to they played Istanbul or Particle Man. Seems that a bunch of drunken college students just love those songs. (and are the only songs they know for this fact) Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Ya down wit' O.O.P.? Ya, you know C! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:58:28 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: Meeting Them & other stuff > Anyway, enough about me, I wanted to know if anybody on the list has met > Them. If so, what were they like? What was the situation? I know > little about Them aside from the FAQ and the official and unofficial web > pages and was interested in hearing some stories. Also, does anyone know > why They don't collarborate more on songs these days? I know they do > work on a few songs together, but it seems like They work separately > quite a bit. Just wonderin'. I met John Flansburgh about three years ago, when they were playing at a music festival. He was out in the hallway of the venue, just walking around. Most people weren't even recognising him! I talked to him for a little while- he's really nice and personable.. he doesn't seem arrogant or stuck up at all. It was really cool. I've never met Linnell.. | Alex@europa.com | www.europa.com/~alex | | BarenakedLadies PetShopBoys Erasure TheyMightBeGiants | -Dressed only in clothes, from her head to her toes. -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:52:07 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: TMBG: My first two songs > interesting TMBG note: a lot of people have noted that Istanbul (Not > Constantinople) or Particle Man was the first TMBG song they've heard. > do you think this is because of the tiny toons episode? do you think > some of Flood's popularity came about because of tiny toons? does this > thought depress anyone else? I think I'm abnormal. My first two TMBG songs were James K. Polk, when a girl in my fifth grade class(girls mature fast, remember) used it for her report on our eleventh president. My second was - get this - tryptophane. This was three years ago, before anyone had ever heard of mono puff. I have no idea where my radio station got a copy, but he played it around thanksgiving time, and said it was about the chemical in turkey that makes you relax. But most of my(few) TMBG-fan friends first heard them on Tiny Toons. And yes, it sickens me because my non-TMBG-fan friends can't take the band seriously after the Tiny Toons thing and The Power Rangers Soundtrack. No matter how much I play it for them, they still won't. -- "Civilization is a religion. Civilized people walk funny"-David Byrne Jonah, our eleventh president ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Meeting THem Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 16:50:51 18000 Forwarded message: ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:50:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: User unknown The original message was received at Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:50:05 -0400 (EDT) from tomhare@localhost ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications ----- tmbg-lsit@tmbg.org (unrecoverable error) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to ussodyssey.ufp.org.: >>> RCPT To: <<< 550 ... User unknown 550 tmbg-lsit@tmbg.org... User unknown ----- Original message follows ----- Return-Path: tomhare Received: (from tomhare@localhost) by fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us (8.7.6/8.6.9) id QAA13173; Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:50:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Message-Id: <199610222050.QAA13173@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us> Subject: Re: TMBG: Meeting Them & other stuff To: alex@europa.com Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 16:50:04 18000 Cc: tmbg-lsit@tmbg.org In-Reply-To: ; from "Alex" at Oct 22, 96 11:58 am X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3.1 PL11] > > > Anyway, enough about me, I wanted to know if anybody on the list has met > > Them. If so, what were they like? What was the situation? I know > > little about Them aside from the FAQ and the official and unofficial web > > pages and was interested in hearing some stories. Also, does anyone know > > why They don't collarborate more on songs these days? I know they do > > work on a few songs together, but it seems like They work separately > > quite a bit. Just wonderin'. > > I met John Flansburgh about three years ago, when they were playing > at a music festival. He was out in the hallway of the venue, just walking > around. Most people weren't even recognising him! I talked to him for a > little while- he's really nice and personable.. he doesn't seem arrogant > or stuck up at all. It was really cool. I've never met Linnell.. > Me and my two friends were sitting in the stairwell at the Milkbar on that fated Saturday night when They cancelled. But, we beat Them to the bar and since there was only one entrance They passed us going down the stairs. Basically though it wasn't much of a meeting, Flans said "hey guys" and we said hey, and my friend James said "That was a great show last night you guys" (it was!) And Linnell said "Oh, thanks, yeah!" Then they banged on the door until they got let in. The end.... -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: pchuss@mtest.teradyne.com (William Pat Chuss) Subject: TMBG: RE: Youth Culture Killed My Mac Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 14:01:33 -0700 (PDT) > From: doofus > Subject: TMBG: Youth Culture Killed My Mac > > >For some reason whenever I put FS into my CD ROM, my computer > >freezes and the CD has to be forcibly ejected by hand > > The only major difference between FS and other, lesser CDs is the fact that > the start of track 1 is 1:03 past the start of the data. It's most likely > that the dimwit who wrote the CD player did something ignorant and severe > havoc insues when his ivory tower of CD etiquette is breached. Speaking as > an experienced programmer, I can say that many such possibilities are > ignored when writing a program because "no sane person would ever want to do > that!" > > -jon atreides, muad'dweeb > Most of the computer CDroms I've tried will not allow you to get at that great little "Token Back to Brooklyn" song (that's PC, Sparc, and why even bother trying on a Mac? ;-) ). I can only rewind it on my home CDplayer to get to track 0. I enjoy watching my WorkMan CDplayer on my sparc at work load up Cracker's "Kerosene Hat" cd. Wait, wait, wait, then boom! 99 tracks on the screen! I was like what's up with that til I found that secret track 69 and track 99. I think it's really cool when bands mess with this technology. It makes any other CD seem boring, now doesn't it? Pat Willie Pat Chuss !#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#! He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth Sysadmin !#!#!#!#!#!#!# People should get beat up for stating their beliefs x3161 Pager: 800-906-8394 !#!#!#! He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth !#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#! Because he knows there's no such thing - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 17:03:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Meeting Them & other stuff Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Oct-96 TMBG: Meeting Them & other .. by Jenifer W Stewart@juno.c > Anyway, enough about me, I wanted to know if anybody on the list has met > Them. If so, what were they like? What was the situation? I know > little about Them aside from the FAQ and the official and unofficial web > pages and was interested in hearing some stories. Also, does anyone know > why They don't collarborate more on songs these days? I know they do > work on a few songs together, but it seems like They work separately > quite a bit. Just wonderin'. I briefly "met" Flans after a Mono Puff show this summer... there were about 20 people left in the room when the show ended (as opposed to the 30 who were there during the show), and we all waited around for him to come back out from back stage, and he came out and everyone rushed over to him, at which point he said "Whoa... I'm being swarmed" or something to that effect. But he was really cool about talking to people and signing autographs & stuff. (for those who remember or have a tape of this it was 6/27/96 at the 9:30 club in DC) Someone handed him a sticker that said "The World's Address: http://www.tmbg.org/" (which it was at the time), and he looked at it and noted it, at which point I commented about his statement the previous day regarding the 15 free hours AOL disks, and he said he even had one sitting upstairs at that moment... I also asked him where They were going to be performing in August, because the web page didn't have the location listed yet. (it was also at the 9:30 club, and I was there :) Another interesting note is that he's known as "Flans" to just about everyone, and was addressed that way by one of his crew members... kind of interesting. I haven't ever met Linnell - I would suspect that he doesn't like the thought of being swarmed like that, given his article about the airplane... and it seems he would take a pretty apathetic stance to anything anyone said. Like all those of us who say "I play the accordion because of you..." would probably get a response like "Oh." Just a guess... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 21:09:56 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: TMBG: Another Hey sorry if someone else posted this already (I have 900 unread messages(sheesh!)) but E! reviews music and they posted a pretty favourable one for Factory Showroom http://www.eonline.com/Reviews/Music/Leaves/0,6,91,00.html Anyways, what's cool is they let you post comments under the "discuss" tab or give the album a rating. currently it has like one post and a A - rating. Happy Surfing ANDREAS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 17:25:39 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Just Checking I'm just checking to see if the people who requested my wingo.wav have it now. Do you? How is it? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:14:35 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: KITH??? Who are these Kids in the Hall I keep seeing mentioned here???? I am clueless... sometimes.... *I'm not actually your friend, but I am* ~Sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:15:24 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG: My after dinner drink with Mr. Flippy Me: Hmm, that was a great meal, despite your constant verbal abuse. Mr. Flippy: When we get out to the parking lot I'm going to shoot you in the head and stuff you in the trunk. Me: Excuse me? Mr. Flippy: Never mind. I wanted to tell you that now I've added actual photographs of John and John on stage at the August 16 DC show. They were taken by a maniacal lunatic named Amy Greenlese and I put them up on my page only after prying them from her blood stained hands. Me: How lovely. Mr. Flippy: Yes. The pictures enhance the wonderful TMBG concert stories I put up yesterday. And while you're there, check out the .wav of the new unreleased song Reprehensible. Me: I will, again and again. Gee, your web site just gets better and better. How do you do it? Mr. Flippy: Fear and intimidation, of course. By the way after I'm done with you I'm going to kill your whole family. Me: Mm-hmm. Where's the damn waiter with my coffee? http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:14:26 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape@ At 01:03 PM 10/22/96 +1000, Lincoln Damen wrote: >What the hell are the words in the very last two verses > >Sounds sumpthint like >"Don't spin in the grass if you like wandering..." > >I know these words are wrong but they'd be good ones anyway! >+Linc ; ) > >"Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" > please clean out your ears before you listen to anything again. (Or maybe you're just deaf...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: We want a rock Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:27:30 +1000 Hi all I was just going through the interpretation of this song (having a discussion with a friend a few years back on this subject). We concluded that this song was about fads, and that 'a rock to wind a string around' referred to a yo-yo and 'a prosthetic forehead' was nothing more than a cap. Whadya think? 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: People Schmeople! Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:22:30 +1000 To quote people magazine "What makes this a step forward for the band, though, are surprisingly normal, pleasant tunes, including "Pet Name," a semisweet love song with a minimum of witty wordplay and a maximum of smooth, soulful sounds. Whether it's the result of maturity or lithium, the highly entertaining Factory Showroom indicates that for the Giants, sanity may be settling in." Yech! I would be insulted if this was a revue of my music!! Why are these revues written by people who would find Elton John 'nice'?? I don't mean to criticise another persons opinion, but that 'journalist' wasn't just bad - he was braindead! I'm surprised he didn't add that 'Exquisite Dead Guy' was 'weird'. It was a positive revue though - it seems They might be starting to fool those 'normal' folk around us. 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:58:04 -0400 From: Bob Plass Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: Lyrics to SS? Hello all, Okay, I know what is says in the lyrics archive at tmbg.org, but, both Lauren (who says hello) and I think that it might be: "Don't spend the rest of your life wandering" instead of "wondering." Does anyone else hear this? BTW, this line is missing at the "official" site, so don't bother going to http://www.tmbg.com/melody/lyrics/Spiraling.Shape.html Okay, Bob Plass ----------------------------- "Would you get mad if I gave you a Pet Name?" - - - Lauren, who couldn't think of a good Pet Name for me, anyway after I said that I wouldn't mind. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:01:25 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:who am I > > Heather said: > > >you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) Me BlueDawg; age: 20, grade level: undereducated....current occupation: Web Slave/DeeJay/Utopia Lounge Lizard/Jiffy Lube Slave, major: (if I ever get back to school) Broadcasting. Future Plans: Take away all of Rush Limbaugh's ratings, run for political office, see a TMBG concert. Hobbies: Radio, Radio, Computers, Cars. I don't watch TV very much. If anyone wants to hear some of my cheesy DeeJay demo tape, I've got part of it on my website....http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/sounds/rushhour.wav S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: What's us with Ian From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:28:38 EDT On Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:42:11 -0400 (EDT) mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >Why did Ian C Tantarri post the exact same that Kathleen Faulconer >posted? There wasn't even a 1 line responce... >Just wondering. >Matt >-- His Mom has been fooling with Ian's E-mail accound, she's an Idiot. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: My dinner with Flippy From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:25:12 EDT On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 03:44:43 -0400 (EDT) "Mike Rose, from Totonot" writes: > Me: Okay. Can you pass the rolls? > > > http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy > where all your answers are questioned Wow that was almost exactly like those annoying radio banter commercials... Which reminds me of a conversation I was having with that bastard Ruprecht the other day... Me: So, slave, what the hell is going on with my web page? Ruprecht: Um, I've been real busy, but we have some really neat stuff... Me: I don't need your damn excuses! What have we got? Ruprecht: Well, we've got the first Paper, Scissors, Rock game on the Web and this poetry thing, it's called... Me: I don't care about your damn sissy poetry, this is supposed to be a man's page! Ruprecht: No, but it's some good stuff, Michael Rose some of it... Me: Oh, well that's different. I thought it was your crappy poetry. Ruprecht: I wrote some too... Me: Get rid of it! You couldn't write your way out of an oral exam! Ruprecht: But that doesn't make any sense... Me: Shut up! What else have you got? Ruprecht: Well, I've got pages for two bands... Me: They are? Ruprecht: They Might Be Giants and Ben Folds Five. Me: They Might Be Giants, are you kidding, I hate them! Ruprecht: Well, I like their early stuff... Me: Shut up! What's on the TMBG page? Ruprecht: We've got song parodies and Top Ten lists by Tracy Grazioli and some backwards sound files... Me: .au's, right? Ruprecht: Of course, what kind of moron would use a .wav? Me: I was just checking, shut up! Ruprecht: Also on the page we've got The Gigantic Duck page, which is a tribute to Letterman, The Scary Dave page, also a tribute to Letterman, The Money page and many others... Me: Who cares?!? Go back to your closet and type up some HTML, damn it! Ruprecht: Sorry... I'll go now... http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht So what if I'm a schizo? =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Blah BLah BLah, Shmakitty Skmakitty From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:28:38 EDT Y'know, Don't you think It'd just be cool to get a round trip tiket to France? Once you get there, step off the plane, Yell F**K YOU really loud. Then just say, oh! pardon my french. Then get back on the plane and fly home. Now that would be a cool trip. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please use the above address. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Mailing list Stats From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:28:38 EDT On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:49:21 +0600 doofus writes: >>It is my impression, at least, that the list is growing nicely. What >>are the latest stats on list membership? Leo? > >I'm not Leo, but I read on www.tmbg.org that there are about 150 >subscribers >to the regular list and another 300 to the digest. > > -jon atreides, muad'dweeb > > Hey your not commin back on me are you???? _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please use the above address. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: List stats Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:53:11 -0400 (EDT) Someone told me (cuz I haven't been reading the list lately) that someone was asking about statistics...so here they are. 404 people on tmbg-digest 182 people on tmbg-list 586 total Since Sunday August 18th we have sent out 844,022 pieces of mail totaling 3.885 Gigabytes of data. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: HCISLAG - Solved! Secret is out! Kinda! From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:28:38 EDT On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:12:02 PST ExquisiteDeadGuy writes: > >On Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:20:40 +1000 (EST) Lincoln Damen > writes: >Well, there I was... Blissfully dancing in the shower and singing How Can I >Sing Like A Girl... and suddenly... just as I reached "Howwwwwww can I...." >Someone turned on the cold water tap in the kitchen... and as searing hot >water showed my sensitive pink body... the remaining lyrics "...SING >LIKE A GIRL?!?!?!?!?!" came out painfully high and girlish... of course this >was immediately followed by me turning around beating the shite out of >the shower head with the shampoo rack to defend myself from the boiling hot >onslaught... But! For those few words... I reached girlishly high notes thst even >Mariah Carey would be jealous of... >And now... as I gently rub ointment over the burns acroos my hide I can say unto >John & John... I, Lincoln Damen, have sung like a girl. +Linc ; ) >"Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" > Well, there's that, and then there's putting on jeans that are 6 sizes too small. Ouch.... ________________________________________________________ This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please use the above address ________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:28:38 EDT On Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:16:30 -0400 (EDT) "Mike Rose, from Totonot" writes: > > > This is kind of weird. > > For some reason whenever I put FS into my CD ROM, my computer >freezes and the CD has to be forcibly ejected by hand. This happens >before the CD begins to play, even before the computer acknowledges >that >there is a CD inside. I have tried this a bunch of times and >it happens >every time. Sometimes once I have ejected it (with a paper clip >inserted >into a small hole next to the CD drive) I get a box on screen saying >"This >disc is unreadable, do you want me to initialise it?" Then it ejects. > Most of the time once I have it ejected I am unable to insert >a >new CD because the computer thinks the CD is still inside. All I can >do >is restart the machine. This does not happen with any other CD I've >tried, only Factory Showroom. > I have a Mac II vi which uses a CD caddy and not a tray. I am >afraid to put FS into my CD ROM again because when I do my computer >becomes 100% useless. (Though I am sure some of you out there think >Macs >are useless anyway). > Fortunately I have another CD player and it plays FS just >fine. >Token Back To Brooklyn is represented on my CD player as part of track >1, >with a fixed time of 0.00 until SEXXY begins. Hmm, maybe this is why >it >makes my computer crash. > FOUR NEW STORIES on Mr. Flippy! Thoughts and ideas, it's all >about >thoughts and ideas. > > Mike > > http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy > where all your answers are questioned > > > There's A simple answer to you computer proplem that'll solve mor than just the problem with the CD. GET AN IBM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me This is Muad.dib@juno.com 's dedicated TMBG account If you wish to reach me on matters other than TMBG, please use the above address. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: RE: TMBG at Wherehouse From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:28:38 EDT Cool, Do you know if there gonna be doin' anything like that in Minneapolis? I've neve heard of Wherehouse records, Where do you live? On Sat, 19 Oct 1996 01:05:55 EDT superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) writes: >Greetings, > I went down to Wherehouse records today after not skipping my >7th hour (big mistake). The place was packed by the time They came on >and I was only in the middle. I don't think I saw the girl in the >flowered shirt, but I must ask, do you happen to go to Wally Pleasant >shows? > This show was especially cool because it was only John, John >and Brian. People were yelling out "JOHN!" all the time, so I felt I >must yell out "BRIAN!" 8 or 9 times. > Here's the set as I remember it: > > Older: Supercool, the best song on FS, still. Linnell was >playing the second guitar part on his accordian (ACCORDIAN!!!) and it >was real fucked up, but still cool. The audience seemed to dig it, >even though none of them had ever heard it. > Meet James Ensor: This was really great for one major reason. > At the point at which there is usually keyboard with guitar playing, >Linnell just started singing "Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo," >very cool. > New York City: This song was marginally improved from the >album version based solely on the lack of "blazing guitar solos" to >quote Flans. > How Can I Sing Like A Girl: This was neat. > Ana Ng: Really neat. I couldn't tell what they were saying >at the "painted on a bridge" part but it definitely wasn't "I don't >want the world"... > S-E-X-X-Y: Flans commented that they would probably have to >stop half way through this, but when they got done he said some thing >like "We're to fire our bassist," jokingly of course. > Bird House In Your Soul: You know this got the Floodies >cheering, very cool, there's been lots of improvement (well, not so >much improvement as addition) on the accordian parts of this song. > Cowtown: I was surprised as hell. > James K. Polk: Proof that our 11th was the best. Linnell >said "this a song about a president" as the music was starting and I >yelled out "Polk" and he said, "in fact it's our only song about a >President." > Stump the Band: First they encouraged people to steal from >the record store then They played "For Your Love" by Yes... Really >well played until Flans broke into the rock out ending, which was the >way the song goes, but he sorta fucked up, I guess. He claimed that >"that's the way we play it"... > Why Does The Sun Shine?: Aside from a lack of lyrical >improvisation, this was the very best version of this song I've ever >heard. Flans (Or maybe Linnell) said they were gonna do it like Trini >Lopez. The spoken parts came out like you'd expect to hear in a >poetry club. The music sounded like a sort of Latin/Regae version of >the real way. > > This show was my first ever TMBG show. This renewed some of >my faith in TMBG. It was also one of the Free-est concerts I've ever >been too. I feel sorry for people who went to see Hootie and didn't >know about this. I realize I had better seats and probably just as >long a set. > >=========================a spooky man named >Ike========================= >The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ >The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org >The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" >=================I wish that I could jump out of my >.sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:29:54 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Youth Culture Killed My Mac On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, William Pat Chuss wrote: > > From: doofus > > Subject: TMBG: Youth Culture Killed My Mac > > > > >For some reason whenever I put FS into my CD ROM, my computer > > >freezes and the CD has to be forcibly ejected by hand > > > > The only major difference between FS and other, lesser CDs is the fact that > > the start of track 1 is 1:03 past the start of the data. It's most likely > > that the dimwit who wrote the CD player did something ignorant and severe > > havoc insues when his ivory tower of CD etiquette is breached. Speaking as > > an experienced programmer, I can say that many such possibilities are > > ignored when writing a program because "no sane person would ever want to do > > that!" > > > > -jon atreides, muad'dweeb > > > > Most of the computer CDroms I've tried will not allow you to get at that > great little "Token Back to Brooklyn" song (that's PC, Sparc, and why > even bother trying on a Mac? ;-) ). I can only rewind it on my > home CDplayer to get to track 0. I enjoy watching my WorkMan CDplayer > on my sparc at work load up Cracker's "Kerosene Hat" cd. Wait, wait, > wait, then boom! 99 tracks on the screen! I was like what's up with > that til I found that secret track 69 and track 99. > > I think it's really cool when bands mess with this technology. It makes > any other CD seem boring, now doesn't it? > > Pat > > Willie Pat Chuss !#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#! He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth > Sysadmin !#!#!#!#!#!#!# People should get beat up for stating their beliefs > x3161 Pager: 800-906-8394 !#!#!#! He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth > !#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#! Because he knows there's no such thing - TMBG > Don't forget track 88 too. Brandon ------------------------------ From: colino@powerup.com.au Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:09:50 GMT Subject: TMBG: Know how you feel Kathleen:) I know how you feel Kathleen. I remember being in England in 1973 and seeing The Who belt it out. It is good to see someone else in my generation, I am 45, is a They fan. Got to admit it is a bit refreshing. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:00:10 +0600 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Who am I? > I know that this will prob. annoy lots of people... but this whole 10 > cds and stuff has made me curious about other peoples personalities > and stuff.. so why dosen't everyone introduce themselves? > you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) I am a dust bunny. I live under a desk and through many years of neglectful housekeeping and high magnetic fields, I have become self-aware. I sneak onto the keyboard late at night, pop TMBG into the CD player, and send embarrassing e-mail from the owner's account. I take correspondence courses on the college freshman level. My hobbies are many, but most involve frolicking on shiny surfaces when nobody's looking. I have no real name, but I refer to myself as Mifwick the Mighty. I plan on going to the Roseland show if I can sneak into someone's pocket. p.s.- Please be considerate and don't sweep under tables unless you're *sure* there's nothing living there. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 21:24 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you We-ell, my name is Kirsten Brodbeck. I'm a high school student, a junior to be exact. I eventually want to be an English teacher and an author, but who knows what'll happen in between. Um, other than TMBG I'm really into Monty Python, punk music, and tangerine-orange leather trenchcoats. (yes, I own one) If I were to be stranded on a deserted island this second, these are the ten cds I'd bring with me: Never Mind the Bollocks - the Sex Pistols Combat Rock - the Clash Energy - Op Ivy Lincoln - TMBG Apollo 18 - TMBG Factory Showroom - TMBG the Pink Album - TMBG Bingham's Hole - the Mommyheads M.U. - Jethro Tull Plum Nelly - Still Tah-dah! There ya have it. -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 21:29 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy > >Oh, and to whoever mentioned Your own worst enemy as a great song, a true >highlight of FS...you're right! It took me a little while to realize this, >but it seems to have the same subtle, classy charm as the opening, & certain >parts of Spiralling Shape. My friend Kristen, who accompanied me to the TMBG/Hootie shin-dig, surprised me by announcing that Your Own Worst Enemy was her favorite. She's wasn't even really a fan until the concert, and YOWE doesn't really seem as easy to get into as other songs. Of course, Kristen is an extremely intelligent and awesome person, so I really shouldn't be surprised. ;) Anyone else find that this song is one of those ones that lodges itself into one's brain and refuses to let go? -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:33:11 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Popularity from Tiny Toons? jenn wrote: > interesting TMBG note: a lot of people have noted that Istanbul (Not > Constantinople) or Particle Man was the first TMBG song they've heard. > do you think this is because of the tiny toons episode? do you think > some of Flood's popularity came about because of tiny toons? does this > thought depress anyone else? Ah, no, it doesn't depress me at all. Tiny Toons was a very popular cartoon, and was a favorite among the college set before Animaniacs came along and thoroughly took over. In any case, Tiny Toons did the nation a great service by exposing TMBG to those who otherwise might never have known, including me. Those two songs were the first I ever heard, straight from the cartoon, and I remember thinking: "Those were real songs by a real band? Or did they just make that up for the show?" I wouldn't find out for sure until a few weeks later, when I heard Flood being played over the UCLA arcade's speakers. Some afterthoughts: Istanbul and Particle are not my favorites, despite being my first (I honestly couldn't name you my favorite... too many). I do, however, honestly believe Flood is the best album (*gulp*) because, as a package, it has the least weaknesses in being what it's trying to be. Lincoln is a pixel's length behind, in my opinion... ask me why if you're interested in how someone could possibly rank Lincoln behind Flood, no matter how close behind. Really, though, I know people tend to swear off Flood because it IS the popular one, it IS the one from Tiny Toons, and it IS the first one most fans and light fans have heard. However, fewer albums put me in a better mood, fewer albums have their songs ordered so beautifully, fewer albums are as eclectic yet balanced, and fewer albums would rank higher on my list of deserted island albums, if I ever decided to compile it. I think Flood stands on its own, Tiny Toons or not, but you always have to have something to get the snowball rolling. Give my regards to Plucky. ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:27:56 -0700 (PDT) From: Robyn Saunders Subject: TMBG: Who Am I? My name is Robyn Saunders. I'm 19 and Go to Auburn University in Auburn, AL. I am a Freshman majoring in Computer Sciences. I am big on the Beatles, the Monkees, and TMBG. I also like just about all music from the 60's and 70's. I just joined the list tonight and I think it's great. If anyone is interested in being in a similar group for the Beatles called the Apple Scruffs, write to me and I'll give you the address to contact. :p Robyn *-------------------------------------------------------------------- "You can see a lot of the world from railings." *-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:06:30 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash > > > > > There's A simple answer to you computer proplem that'll solve mor than > just the problem with the CD. > > GET AN > IBM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmm.. looks like someone doesn't know that Macs tend to work better with CD/multimedia software. Ah well. | Alex@europa.com | www.europa.com/~alex | | BarenakedLadies PetShopBoys Erasure TheyMightBeGiants | -Dressed only in clothes, from her head to her toes. -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 21:43 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: JH >Since then I have like everything they have brought out except for (gulp, I >hope this is the right thing to say here) John Henry. Yes I know the horns >were good but it just didn't grab my mind and bang it into the wall a couple >of times like the other albums did. Y'know what I just noticed? John Henry as an *album* doesn't bang my mind against the wall, but when I take certain tracks from it, separate from the whole, they do. Especially "Why Must I Be Sad?" I love this song to death, and yet somehow it's like I forget how much I like the songs on this album immediately after listening to it. -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Recording Shows?!?!?!? Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:16:45 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hey peoples, For all of you who have at one time or another taped a show, can you tell me the best way to do it. Can I just put a tape recorder in my pocket and walk in? What do I need? Help me! I am going to see Them in a week and would really like to tape the show. I have a feeling that I will need to sneak something in because it is with Hootie. Any tips from anyone with experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy "Shut up sucka!" - Mr. T ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:43:54 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: your mail > > > help > > > > Uhh.. Krakow was the capitol of Poland until the 1600s and 2-3 is not > > 17. How's that? > > > > Dave Simpson > > that was *no* help at all. WEll, I tried. > > jenn > > interesting TMBG note: a lot of people have noted that Istanbul (Not > Constantinople) or Particle Man was the first TMBG song they've heard. > do you think this is because of the tiny toons episode? do you think > some of Flood's popularity came about because of tiny toons? does this > thought depress anyone else? No. I liked Tiny Toons (and still do, sort of). But it was the first songs I heard. Even though, I bought it because I heard Birdhouse on the radio while buying shoes last christmas and taht for some reason reminded me of the Tiny Toon episode, so later that day I went to Blockbuster Musak so I could listen to it, and ended up picking Flood up solely because it had Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and Particle Man. I bought it, however, becasue I liked Birdhouse, I don't think I even heard all of Ball and Chain before I had bought it and was listening to it on my way home. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:51:19 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! > PEOPLE MagAzine has a review of FS and a cute picture of john and john, john > linnell has his ACCORDION!!!!!!!!!! there standing sideways,a little weird. > cool. well,check it out!!!!! (the review is pretty good) It was wierd. Today I told my history teacher about James K. Polk (the song) because we're studying that period in the class, and she mentioned the interview! Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:55:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: More chord stuff... This time unrelased songs... Anyone have the chords for They Got Lost, Maybe I Know, or Certain People I Could Name? Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:57:31 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: who i am, Macs Happy Birthday! Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:59:57 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: The Bells Are Ringing > I would just like to proclaim my love for The Bells Are Ringing!!! > Some people have said that they can't stand this song, but I think it's > extremely catchy and the lyrics are GREAT!!! Just get the lyrics out and > sing along to it and you just have to love it!!! Well, I do anyway and > that;s what matters most. I just had to say that about one of my favourite > TMBG songs of all time. I find the song highly ironic. At least for me. Whenever I listen to it, I find myself unable to do anything buy sing along and stare in stunned (hold on, The Bells Are Ringing just starte..) awe. And it's a song about mind control. Well, I cared, anyway. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: who am I From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:34:51 EDT Who am I? You're asking me? Who am I? Well, here's what I think I know. I'm sixteen, a senior in high school here in Omaha, NE. I do web page development sometimes (I haven't made any money yet), and listen to TMBG, Frank Black, DEVO, Frank Zappa (and the Mothers of Invention), Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Violent Femmes, NIN, Flock of Seagulls, and lots of other bands (go to my music page at www.top.net/tlloyd/music.htm for an old list). I drive a 1986 white and blue Mercury Cougar with lots of bumper stickers (my TMBG sticker is coming soon in the mail) including DEVO and Bob of the Church of the SubGenius. When I watch TV, I try to catch episodes of MST3K, Kids in the Hall, X-Files, and anything related to NASA or outer space. That's my five cents, look at www.top.net/tlloyd for any other info about me. I now return to my semi-lurk mode. fdp@juno.com Tim Lloyd, Flying Dragon Productions Omaha, NE, USA "You only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you." -TMBG We know who we are, but know not what we may be! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:04:08 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM GOING TO FREAK!!!!! > I just checked that performancemag place and they are playing 45 > minutes away in Madison, WI on the 30th!!!!! I CANT BELIVE IT!!! Now what > the hell do i have to do to get tickets???? PLEASE HELP! Shot in the dark, but I'd say buy them. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:15:12 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: People Magazine, Their photos. So I read the review in PM, as many here have, and it was ok. For once People gave a good review of something I love, however, their insinuation that They wre becoming "sane" (what the hell is that supposed to mean?) and calming down from the q-word music they used to play, and that they thought that this was a _good_ thing I found to be a little insulting. But that's just me. I in general find that magazine insulting- intellectually and personally. But i tell ya kids, those are some kind of funky photos of Our Boys-in both that Rolling Stone add and in the picture in People. The add, Linnell looks like a mannequin, and Flans like a pimp in those big dark glasses. The one in people is better, but I guess Linnell looks really pale, and so his features stand out too much and he looks like he's wearing make-up, which on him is creepy. I think Flans looks better in those dark squar-frames that he used to have- that and that's my new favourite style of glasses frames. :) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:16:58 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but doesn anyone like they synth bells better on the DAS version than the woman singing the bell sound on FS? I heard the DAS version first, and I just like that version better, it makes me think of bells more than the singing- anyone else? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:28:57 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS >sound on FS? I heard the DAS version first, and I just like that version >better, it makes me think of bells more than the singing- anyone else? Then again, the bells are ringing, the song they're singing. So singing works. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:36:53 -0700 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: re:show in L.A. this is a Reader's digest version of an e-mail I send to Kathleen... The El Rey theater is a converted movie theater that books fairly safe alternative shows like Susan Vega and stuff like that. I saw LUSH there in August and it was pretty cool. It has a floor in the middle, a bar in the back, a balcony above and tables on the sides. It's fairly small so the view of the band is superb. The sound is so-so and if you do sit at the tables don't get too close as the amps may be pointing right at you. From what I've seen at past shows, THEY frown on violent crowds and body surfing. They threaten to stop playing and leave any time anyone tries...so I'm sure the carnage will be kept to a minimum. No Garth Brooks bloodbaths there I think. I hope I can make it to the show. My current plans have me in Buffalo on the 22nd but if that changes I'm there. TMBG always seem to have shows in L.A. when I'm out of town or unable to attend. I missed the Flood tour because of that reason and I was pissed. Till the next one, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:44:52 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Am I? Well, I might as well jump on the bandwagon (don't worry, it won't hurt the horse, we treat him well, we feed him well...oops, sorry, lyric slippage) and tell everyone a little about me. My full name is Stefanie Marie Elliott, I go to Indiana University Bloomington in- You got it! Indiana. My favourite bands are XTC, REM, The Walking Ruins, Bad Religion, Paul Simon, old Lemonheads, and some obscure band called They Might Be Giants-ever heard of them? Hah, ha, thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Enjoy the buffet. As some may be able to tell one of my favourite tv shows is MST3K. I also like X-Files, Xena (yeah, I know) and various sit-coms. I'm an English Major and am attempting to get my certificate in Medieval Studies. I'll be 20 Nov. 13th, I drive a white Toyota Tercel, whos name is Quentin but I call Coche for short (it's spanish for "car". I'm not terribly creative in my nicknames.) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:58:37 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: KITH??? On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Sarah wrote: > Who are these Kids in the Hall I keep seeing mentioned here???? I am > clueless... sometimes.... Whoo...I got my Sarah's confused. That really surprised me at first! Kids In The Hall is this great Canadian sketch group who have this show, or should I say had (it's done now). They had a lot of recurring characters in their shows-my favourite was MC Simon Mulligan and Hecubus, and they would do a lot of weird sketches, threw in some social commentary, and voila, The Kids In The Hall. They got the name from Jack Benny, who, I believe, said something about getting jokes from who would wait in the hallways to see him, andhe called them, well, you know. My favourite thing is when they would do an aside, stopping in the middle of a sketch to look at the camera and say somethng like, "Hi, I'm Dave Foley of the Kids In The Hall..." and go on to say something about the sketch. IT's a hoot. it's on Comedy Central just about every night at midnight, EST. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:06:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: More chord stuff... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Oct-96 TMBG: More chord stuff... by Lawrence P Solomon@andre > Subject: TMBG: More chord stuff... All right. I did NOT put TMBG in the subject line. Somehow these messages are being routed through something that inserts that, and it's really ridiculous. This is a TMBG mailing list, of course it's TMBG. Duh. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:26:07 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re:TMBG:Who Am I? Okay.., I started this idea... so I may as well post and tell everyone who I am. My name is Heather.I'm 18 (19 on Nov. 4) and I attend Oklahoma University as a freshman, and am going for a major in fine arts..(hopefully I'll get to do childrens book illus. or maybe computer games like Sam and Max or Kings Quest.. Lucas Arts and Sierra are the ones I'm looking at right now.) I have a cat (that thinks she's a dog) named Spinnst.. which is a form of the German word "spinnen" which means crazy. I also have a hedgehog named Max Fiveslap who is very mean. I think he is the reincarnation of my last pet, White Cat.. who also was very mean. My computer is also a Mac 6200cd.. which I like okay. but takes a while to get used to, I guess.. maybe I'll like it better when I get more memory and an actual art program. I, of course.. LOVE TMBG..but also LIKE The SugarPlastics, Geggy Tah, Velocity Girl, Elvis Costello, Gershwin, etc. My car is a silver mustang named Mop..(a he) and I like him okay.. but I LOVE Wagoneers with the fake woodgrain. My best friend since 4th grade (and now my roomate) is Lorna. Shes majoring in Chem. Eng. and also is in Ballet. My other best friend also happens to be my boyfriend of almost a year and a half. His name is Richard Duffy. His mom thinks I'm crazy, but thats okay. He's the baby of a family of 6.. so it must be hard to let go. Besides that A. Richard doesn't care what anyone.. much less his mother.. thinks.. and B. It's kinda fun to be presumed insane!! Well.. I know this must have been terrible for all of you, but I'm sorry. You could have deleted at any time!! Heather ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:34:11 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy << My friend Kristen, who accompanied me to the TMBG/Hootie shin-dig, surprised me by announcing that Your Own Worst Enemy was her favorite. She's wasn't even really a fan until the concert, and YOWE doesn't really seem as easy to get into as other songs. Of course, Kristen is an extremely intelligent and awesome person, so I really shouldn't be surprised. ;) Anyone else find that this song is one of those ones that lodges itself into one's brain and refuses to let go? >> Yep, YOWE does tend to get stuck in my brain, but then, so do 98% of their tunes!!! It's getting awfully crowded in here... Kay ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:34:27 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Happy happy happy, and stuff Hello 41- Gorgosity- How's this for timing? The day I go back to visit the family in Chicago over Thanksgiving, TMBG is playing at the Rivera in Chicago. Something will go wrong, but it seems so perfect! I recall going there before and getting searched, so I don't know about brooms... I will find a new and improved way to meet people. Stuff- <> I saw the Kinks too! Actually only one kink, Ray Davies, but he put on a really good show by himself. Artie- He is one of my favorite characters from TV Land. He is just so groovy. One of my fave scenes is where he tried to beat up the ocean to make summer stay. First listen- One of my friends had Flood, and played me some of it. Enough said... Adam "The end all, be all of human exsistance" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:34:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM GOING TO FREAK!!!!! This message might seem a bit harsh, but: If you have something to say to someone, please just email it to them. The rest of the list doesn't really need to see random messages that quote someone else's message just to insert something that's a comment straight to the author. Unless you really feel the other 600-odd of us out here are going to benefit from your post, please just send it to the person involved. I luckily read this list gatewayed, but I can't imagine how annoying it must get to some of the other listees who end up with cluttered mailboxes. In general, it'd be nice if people tried to actually back up what they say with some real arguments, instead of just posting "you like that song? i like it too! it's so cool!", why not say why it's so cool, and give the rest of us some food for thought? Perhaps I'm asking too much, but really, I was hoping that I'd get back into reading this list now that there was a new album to discuss, and it saddens me to see how wrong I was. (This isn't true of all of you; I do still enjoy reading some people's posts, but this is just a by and large sort of thing.) Now to give this some tmbg-list content, somewhat.. As far as the whole "TMBG:" thing.. I sort of assumed that it was being filtered that way so that people who get these messages in their mailboxes know immediately that they're from the TMBG list, for those who aren't gatewayed or haven't figured out procmail yet. Some other mailing lists also do that.. And anyway.. I downloaded the Cub version of NYC the other day, and listened to it.. I think it's funny how much of their original inflection gets lost in the translation, so to speak. Cub's version almost does seem straight-faced; I'm sort of curious how it fares in context with the rest of their stuff. (Kerry or someone else: care to enlighten on Cub, for those unable to find anything of theirs?) I think that's the main thing that decides people's opinions of NYC as a song; context. I'm sure the aesthetics of Co-op City and such mean little as far as furthering the song's general purpose, so that doesn't really make a difference in the two versions. Actually, I think I just decided I'm not going to really judge the song until I can see them perform it live, to see how straight a face Flans keeps. Yeah. Okay. :) *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:09:23 -0500 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: TMBG are coming to Milwaukee! I am totally psyched! I just found out TMBG are coming to Milwaukee on November 30, they're coming to the Rave. Tickets went on sale today so will have to get mine tomorrow. They are $17 and some cents, I can't remember, I think Cub are opening for them but I won't say for sure on that one. but everyone knows that I supposed who knew all the tour dates, so if you did, sorry to waste your time. Email me if you're going, people, would love to hear from anyone from Wisconsin or anywhere else. Good night! Linda, who is my own worse enemy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:19:58 -0400 (EDT) From: "e.kaO" Subject: TMBG: Metal Detector Kathleen Jo Faulconer brought up this song: > Metal Detector is about a guy that is in love with > his metal detector.. > It reminds me alot of being a kid when your backyard was the whole world. Like if you found a bottle or other piece of trash, then you were led to believe that your house was built on top of ruins or something. But its probably about a person who is pretending to be obsessed with something so he doesn't have to face the world. He wants everyone to think he's preoccupied and happy doing what he's doing and metal detecting just happens to be his hobby. What he's really doing is using it as an excuse to never look up from his feet; he doesn't care to see the ssky and the things around him and doesn't have to hang out with anyone and deal with the falderal. He's faking to himself that he is content being the inspector over the dirt. Although personally I always found dirt to be tons of fun. ek ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-290 ******************************