Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-291 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 291 Thursday, 24 October 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: and whom might I be? TMBG: Yowie! YOWE TMBG: Not fair, opening for crappie and the dumbfish TMBG: WHO AM I? TMBG: Re: Gits TMBG: First Album / Top 5s TMBG: chrssy TMBG: Concerts TMBG: Re:First Album Re: TMBG: More chord stuff... TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Who Am I? Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash TMBG: tmbg in subject TMBG: TMBG at the Warfield in November Re: TMBG: tmbg in subject Re: TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy TMBG: re: getting to know me... TMBG: Who I Am TMBG: Lefty Strings TMBG: RE:Your Own Worst Enemy Re: TMBG: who are you and Re: TMBG: KITH??? TMBG: Why must I be Sad? Re: TMBG: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS Re: TMBG: Lefty Strings Re: TMBG: Know how you feel Kathleen:) Re: TMBG: who are you and Re: TMBG: KITH??? Re: TMBG: Sarahs! TMBG: taping Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash Re: TMBG: Who am I? Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Lefty Strings TMBG: What Happened to The Other Ten??? Re: TMBG: tmbg in subject TMBG: Services TMBG: help TMBG: Provo??? TMBG: Tony maimone TMBG: Who is me? + TMBG Question TMBG: Another request for the Broom Video TMBG: TMBG in Ireland????? TMBG: billboard top 100!!!!!! TMBG: TMBG Bootleg TMBG: Re: TMBG are coming to Milwaukee! TMBG: I am not me Re: TMBG: Who My? Oldest?Nope! TMBG: Tiny Toons and a question Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! TMBG: disregard question TMBG: who am I??? TMBG: This was not a good They day! TMBG: Is there anybody out there? TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS TMBG: A take a Hootie TMBG: FT WAYNE! TMBG: subjects are a pain in the ass TMBG: triptophane Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:58:59 BST From: Chrissy Monster Subject: TMBG: and whom might I be? well................. I'm Chrissy and am 19 and at uni pretending to do some work, so I can avoid the inevitable ways of a real working life for a few years. I like all sorts of things. Like, err............ Adam Ant, Pink Floyd, The Simpsons and all they stand for, Sea devils and all their kind, Copious amounts of alcohol on a regular basis, Pineapple fritters, cats, Ewan Mc Gregor, David Bowie (especially in Labyrinth) Merrie Englande(?) and countless other things that no one will be interested in. BUT I think I am a relatively ok person in spite of everything. I hope this has enlightened people. If I can just get through to one person, then it'll all be worth it. chrissy x ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Yowie! YOWE Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 7:52:02 18000 I had a thought while I was asleep last night..... In Your Own Worst Enemy on Factory Showroom, the lyrics are as follows "And the song they play is 'That Guy With The Messed-Up Face' Going 'precious and few are the moments that you and your own worst enemy share'" It occurred to me that 'That Guy With THe Messed-Up Face' as the title of a song sounds kinda like Chess Piece Face. BUt anyway.. Those are the kinds of things I think of. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Not fair, opening for crappie and the dumbfish Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 06:53:18 -0500 I posted I AM GOING TO FREAK!!!! because i was.... but now i dont think i'll go. I didn't know it was the opening for crappy and the dumbfish, it didn't say at that place... i'll wait for them to come on the world tour........... _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: TMBG: WHO AM I? Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 07:00:29 -0500 Lets see, my name is wyatt glodell, and the leda glodell that is attached comes from my server, thats my mom andshe pays for my account. I'm gonna change that when i'm extremely bored. I am 12 years old and probably the youngest listie besides the youngest kid in the "folk family" as they called themselves. I live in baraboo, wisconsin and it sucks but luckily they come to madison every year or so and that isn't far. I am in 7th grade... uhh.... i am in accelerated math.... i put "...." much to often.... I have one friend that likes they alot and we both became they freaks togeter and make everyone think we're insane or completely stupid by singing anything by they in public. Althought because of the list i am always a step ahead of him in They news.Another friend has A18 and Flood, like 'em but dosen't care for much else. I guess that's all i have to say..... UH OH!!! its 7, i really have to go , bye _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:31:57 +0100 (BST) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Re: Gits Gits is quite simply an insult I tend to use because it is a nice insult and I'm just a nice person, (sorry for the oxymoron but it's the best I can do under the current circumstances) "What are you researching Doctor?" "Space Bats" "Space Bats?" "You bet your ass!" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:47:19 +0600 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: First Album / Top 5s > interesting TMBG note: a lot of people have noted that Istanbul (Not > Constantinople) or Particle Man was the first TMBG song they've heard. > do you think this is because of the tiny toons episode? do you think > some of Flood's popularity came about because of tiny toons? does this > thought depress anyone else? My first album was John Henry, which I bought on a tip from one of my friends. I began to listen to it almost exclusively and figured I'd better buy Their other stuff. This was a year ago and I still don't own Flood--I just keep borrowing it. I know you'll hate me, but here goes my fives: TOP (best first) 1- How Can I Sing Like a Girl? 2- The World's Address (Joshua Fried Remix) 3- Older 4- Cowtown 5- Rythm Secction Want Ad BOTTOM (best first) 5- Letterbox 4- Pet Name 3- (She Was A) Hotel Detective 2- Hide Away Folk Family 1- Snowball in Hell -jon ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: chrssy Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:17:29 -0400 (EDT) Hi, could Chrissy Monster ( from England)please email me? I lost your address. Thanks. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 07:26:06 -0700 (PDT) From: Robyn Saunders Subject: TMBG: Concerts Does anyone know if They are coming anywhere near Alabama any time in the near future. It's so hard to get people to come down here! :p Robyn *-------------------------------------------------------------------- "You can see a lot of the world from railings." *-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 07:28:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Robyn Saunders Subject: TMBG: Re:First Album I know I said earlier that my first album was flood, but thinking back, I realized that it was really Apollo 18. A friend borrowed it from me 5 years ago and never gave it back, so I had kind of forgotten about it! :p Robyn *-------------------------------------------------------------------- "You can see a lot of the world from railings." *-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: More chord stuff... Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:54:00 -0500 (CDT) > All right. I did NOT put TMBG in the subject line. Somehow these > messages are being routed through something that inserts that, and it's > really ridiculous. This is a TMBG mailing list, of course it's TMBG. > Duh. Yeah, but for those of us who get upwards of 100 messages a day, I think it's really nice to be able to just glance at the subject and tell if it's potentially important or not... I kinda like it! May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by SPAM / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:30:40 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Who Am I? Hi! I am BOBA! I am 18 and have a bad headache. I like TMBG, BNL, and LOTS of other kinds of music. My favorite movie is Mallrats. If you smoosh up all the characters in this flic then you wind up with me! -Matthew Ondrey "I'm Not Done, And I Won't Be 'Till My Head Falls Off" - ThEy MiGhT bE gIaNtS boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, updated weekly: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:08:09 -0500 (CDT) > > There's A simple answer to you computer proplem that'll solve mor than > > just the problem with the CD. > > > > GET AN > > IBM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > Hmmmm.. looks like someone doesn't know that Macs tend to work better with > CD/multimedia software. Ah well. Don't get me started, or I'll toast all your asses with UN*X, and you'll all be crying in my dust... Bwahahahaha! >;-> May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by EGGS / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: tmbg in subject Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:10:10 -0400 (EDT) This isn't the first time a list has had something in the subject to say that it is from so-and-so list. I am on another list that does that. It is a great idea for those who get a lot of mail from different sources. It is an easy way to determine where it is coming from. How could this possibly be detrimental to the list? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:13:23 -0700 (PDT) From: Kasey Hicks Subject: TMBG: TMBG at the Warfield in November Got our tickets! The Warfield is a great venue for them--it's where we first saw them back in '92. Does anyone know who's opening for them? Kasey & Cameo ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg in subject Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:53:53 -0400 (EDT) > This isn't the first time a list has had something in the subject to say > that it is from so-and-so list. I am on another list that does that. > It is a great idea for those who get a lot of mail from different > sources. It is an easy way to determine where it is coming from. How > could this possibly be detrimental to the list? Your list admin did this so he could delete/filter mail without reading it. I now get all of tmbg-list, tmbg-digest, and alt-music-tmbg (the newsgroup reflector) dumped in my mail box. I don't have time to read the 300 or so messages a day that adds up to. I'm going to experiment with better ways to do this. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:35:37 -0400 From: jenn Subject: Re: TMBG: Then, Your own worst enemy > My friend Kristen, who accompanied me to the TMBG/Hootie shin-dig, > surprised me by announcing that Your Own Worst Enemy was her favorite. > She's wasn't even really a fan until the concert, and YOWE doesn't really > seem as easy to get into as other songs. Of course, Kristen is an > extremely intelligent and awesome person, so I really shouldn't be > surprised. ;) Anyone else find that this song is one of those ones that > lodges itself into one's brain and refuses to let go? yes, i have to agree that this song really gets stuck in my head. (yeah, like this is ot a standard TMBG song trait.) but when i first heard it, i thought i didn't like it. i kept thinking i didn't like it until i was sitting at work one day singing to myself 'and the song they played...' new question for today: it seems like quite a few people have met/talked with/received an autograph from Flans. has anyone on this list had a conversation with Linnell. jenn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:47:05 -0500 From: kelly marks Subject: TMBG: re: getting to know me... I usually just sit back and lurk, but today I felt compelled to step out and declare myself. In case it isn't obvious in the header thingie, my name is Kelly Marks. I am 18 and a freshman at North Carolina State University. Currently I am reeling from the lack of sleep that comes along with pursuing a double major in English and Graphic Design. These days my life revolves around a few central themes: TMBG, my job at the school paper, the desperate search for sleep, the wonder that is Dr. Pepper, and whatever torture my studio teacher can devise. I have been a fan of TMBG since right after Flood came out(who unfortunately has yet to see them live), a fan of KITH since the first season way back on HBO, and a MSTie since eighth grade (?I think I've got the math right). Other interests include X-Files, whatever's on the Comedy Channel, and listening to selections from my rather eclectic music collection (covering every musical genre possible). When I grow up, I want to be a junkie (Nobody ever says they want to be a junkie when they grow up...I'll show them) and an illustrator/art director/goddess. For the record, I drive a '93 Mustang named Humphrey, whose affectionately known to all as the Teal Mobile. (I use the word drive loosely, considering that Humphrey is currently living in the garage an hour and a half away). Well I think that I have completed this thought. I do believe that I shall now sink back into the depths of obscurity. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:59:02 -0500 (CDT) From: "James @ MU" Subject: TMBG: Who I Am OK so I'm not usually very fond of these "Getting to know you" threads, I feel a little out of it today - evidently my Calc class has been cancelled without my knowledge - so I guess I'll give it a shot. Appearance-wise I look just like Carrot Top. If you haven't seen Carrot Top before, poicture a tall, pale, freckled college kid with lots and lots of big orange hair. That's me. I have been, am, and always will be one of the biggest TMBG fans I've ever met. I've been in love with this ban ever since some of my Dungeons & Dragons buddies introduced me when I was in...let's see... seventh grade. That's pretty cool. I hadn't realized how long I've been into this until just now. As far as non-TMBG music goes, I listen to what can accurate;y be described as "wuss music". My CD collection contains Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, and The Cure, among others. But I really really like to listen to Sebadoh now and then. (For those of you unfamiliar with Sebadoh, dont be fooled by the video that's bouncing around MTV right now. That's not pure Sebadoh) I'm a Freshman at The University of Missouri-Columbia. (That's "Mizzou" to anyone from around here.) And, while my transcript still says "undecided" I'm _really_ majoring in Astrophysics. No, really, I am. For real. Most of my time is spent in class or in my dorm doing homework. My Casio cfx-9000 color power graphing calculator is my best friend. His name is John. My girlfriend still lives in St Louis, my home. She's applying to schools now and, in all likelyhood, will be going to school very very far away from me. Ok now I feel better. ************************************************************************ *James @ MU, one of the many TMBG fans who think it's OK to change, but* *just doesn't really want to put up with Hootie OR his stupid blowfish.* ************************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:16:55 -0400 (EDT) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Lefty Strings I saw this on the tmbg.com page: Lefty Strings Introduced TMBG is going into the guitar string business, if only on a limited scale. "Lefty Strings," cosmetically altered to appeal to lefty guitarists (like our own Mr. Flansburgh,) are available in a Lefty Guitar Starter Kit (two packs of strings and three custom Flans picks) for just $10. They are packaged beautifully, with drawings by Flansburgh, and are made from top, professional quality steel and nickel in standard gauge (10-46mm). As good a souvenir as they are a working musician's tool. Plans to introduce "Girlie" strings, the strings for girls, and "Cyclops" bass strings, the strings for one-eyed bass players, are in the works. Does anyone know how true this is? We all know what a joker Flans can be. I don't play the guitar, nor am I left-handed, but I think it would be worth owning a pack of these Lefty Strings, if they come packaged as described above. I'm pretty sure the Girlie strings and Cyclops bass strings are a joke, and I nearly wet myself laughing when I read about them! However, if they are serious, my only question is: Where can I get these fine new items? Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy You've never backed away from anything in your life, now FIGHT! ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:19:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: RE:Your Own Worst Enemy >suprised. ;) Anyone else find that this song is one of those ones that >lodges itself into one's brain and refuses to let go? > yes, i have to agree that this song really gets stuck in my head. >(yeah, like this is ot a standard TMBG song trait.) but when I first heard it, i thought i didn't like it. i kept thinking i didn't like it until i was >sitting at work one day singing to myself 'and the song they played...' This was the case with me for the Entire FS album! Well, it was school,not work, and the main songs were How Can I sing Like a Girl, Exquisit Dead Guy,I Can Hear You, The Bells Are Ringing, and Your Own Worste Enemy. (P.S. To jenn, You should have more self esteem and capitolize your i's and your name 8*) SJL ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:32:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you and Re: TMBG: KITH??? >>Combat Rock - the Clash<< Aw cool! I wasn't the only one to put that on my list! :) That is such a cool cd, you guys. >On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Sarah wrote: >> Who are these Kids in the Hall I keep seeing mentioned >here???? I am >> clueless... sometimes.... > >Whoo...I got my Sarah's confused. That really surprised me at >first! Kids In The Hall is this great Canadian sketch group who >have this show, or should I say had (it's done now). Heh. :) Glad you told about them. I'm too much of a fan of theirs (obviously). I'd go on and on. :) ~sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:54:28 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Why must I be Sad? I get the feeling that it is a bad thing for having heard TMBG for the first time of "Tiny Toons". It just so happens that that is where I first heard their music and I feel in love with it immediately even though it took me two years to figure out WHO exactly sang the songs *I only caught ..Might...Giants... when I saw that episode.* I kept wondering who those "Giant" guys were and finally, after years of wondering, I heard "Particle Man" at work and started humming along with it. One of my friends said the name of the band and was a little surprised that I knew the song. So I borrowed his tape of "Apollo 18" and completely fell in love with it after a few listens and the rest is pointles rambling (but then again so is everything else I've typed here now) My main point is that there is nothing wrong with having first heard They off "Tiny Toons". As a matter of fact I would like to give my thanks to the show for introducing me (and my friends) to the *magical* music of They Might Be Giants. Ta-Ta *I'm not actually your friend, but I am* ~Sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:00:46 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Queen Sneepy wrote: > I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but doesn anyone like they > synth bells better on the DAS version than the woman singing the bell > sound on FS? I heard the DAS version first, and I just like that version > better, it makes me think of bells more than the singing- anyone else? Um, yeah, I liked the DAS version better. Not only the synth bells, but it was recorded sans Schermerhorn. -Dawg, sore all over after trying out for a local Rugby club. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:05:01 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Strings On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, The Famous Mr. Klaw wrote: > I saw this on the tmbg.com page: > Does anyone know how true this is? We all know what a joker Flans can be. > I don't play the guitar, nor am I left-handed, but I think it would be > worth owning a pack of these Lefty Strings, if they come packaged as > described above. Well, I do play guitar, and am left-handed, so it is of some interest to me. However, as any lefty guitar player will tell you, it doesn't matter when it comes to strings.....they're all the same. The things lefties have problems with are: Electric Guitars, and acoustic pick guards. The only mod necessary to make a guitar left-hand playable is reversing the order of the strings. If they are real, tho, I'll buy two sets....one to play with for awhile, and one for novelty. If I like 'em, I'll order some more. > I'm pretty sure the Girlie strings and Cyclops bass strings are a joke, > and I nearly wet myself laughing when I read about them! However, if they > are serious, my only question is: Where can I get these fine new items? My best guess would be TMB Productions. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:09:08 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Know how you feel Kathleen:) On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 colino@powerup.com.au wrote: > I know how you feel Kathleen. I remember being in England in 1973 and > seeing The Who belt it out. It is good to see someone else in my > generation, I am 45, is a They fan. Got to admit it is a bit refreshing. It feels sorta weird having y'all on the list....I feel as if my parents are watching me for some reason. I wasn't doing too much in 1973, myslef. *shudder* and my dad graduated from college in '73. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:12:47 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you and Re: TMBG: KITH??? On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >>Combat Rock - the Clash<< > > Aw cool! I wasn't the only one to put that on my list! :) > That is such a cool cd, you guys. I've got a pristine vinyl copy. *Aaahhhh....* Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:14:21 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Sarahs! At 10:44 AM 10/22/96 -0400, you wrote: >>*I'm not actually your friend, but I am* >>~Sarah > >Eeek! Another one??? Okay. I've had enuff. :) All of you with my name, email >me and also tell me your age (just outta curiousity). This seems like the >most common female name (wasn't it on the TMBGer name poll thing a couple >months back?) on here, and I'm just curious how many of us there are. >Lurkers-- you too. I'll post the results eventually. >~sarah :) >http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html > > funny... There are 6 Sarahs my marching band, there are about 150 people total... I wonder what the most popular names are nation-wide... do these sort of things show up when they do the census every so often? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:18:51 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: taping I live in portland, and I'm goin to the show on the sixteenth. Can someone tell me how to tape it? Do I need fancy equipment, or the club's consent? Liam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:33:07 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom crash >There's A simple answer to you computer proplem that'll solve mor than >just the problem with the CD. > >GET AN >IBM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, it won't run on mine, because Track one starts 1:03 into the data, and it thinks it's a cdrom disk with nothing on it. The only solution to this is for me to never buy another Packard B(H)ell -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:36:50 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Who am I? At 09:00 PM 10/22/96 +0600, you wrote: >> I know that this will prob. annoy lots of people... but this whole 10 >> cds and stuff has made me curious about other peoples personalities >> and stuff.. so why dosen't everyone introduce themselves? >> you know.. hobbies.. age.. grade level.. major (if applicable) > >I am a dust bunny. I live under a desk and through many years of neglectful >housekeeping and high magnetic fields, I have become self-aware. I sneak >onto the keyboard late at night, pop TMBG into the CD player, and send >embarrassing e-mail from the owner's account. I take correspondence courses >on the college freshman level. My hobbies are many, but most involve >frolicking on shiny surfaces when nobody's looking. I have no real name, >but I refer to myself as Mifwick the Mighty. I plan on going to the >Roseland show if I can sneak into someone's pocket. > >p.s.- Please be considerate and don't sweep under tables unless you're >*sure* there's nothing living there. > "I am not your broom. I am not your broom. No longer will I sweep for you for I am not your broom." -just seemed appropriate -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <<-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:41:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! > Dave Simpson > > .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? No, _I'm_ not So anyway, when IS the SEXXY single coming out??? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:45:13 -0400 (EDT) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Strings On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, BlueDawg wrote: > > Well, I do play guitar, and am left-handed, so it is of some interest to > me. However, as any lefty guitar player will tell you, it doesn't matter > when it comes to strings.....they're all the same. The things lefties Yeah...I figured that. That's why I'm thinking it's a joke product, or at least a joke name. > My best guess would be TMB Productions. I checked the tmbg.com products page, but there was no mention of them. They are probably not available yet, but it would only make sense for them to appear there. Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy what are you going to do about it...asshole? ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:45:05 -0400 Subject: TMBG: What Happened to The Other Ten??? 3 things. 1) My friend and I realized something the other day "I ate 47 so what happened to the other ten?" "I ATE 47 so what happened TO the other ten?" I 8 47 so what happened 2 the other ten?" and as most of us know 8 + 2 = 10, so the missing 10 were there all along! Whaddya think? 2) About people meeting the band: My girlfriend met Flans and Eric when they did the Mono Puff interview for All Things Considered. She said Eric was a really cool guy. They talked for something like 15 minutes, and Flans was...well...sort of a jerk. He swore an awful lot (and when she talks about swearing a lot, she means a LOT) and kept on bitching about how bad the coffee was (this particularly rubbed her the wrong way because she was the one who made the coffee). 3) pchuss@mtest.teradyne.com (William Pat Chuss) wrote: >Wait, wait, wait, then boom! 99 tracks on the screen! I was like what's >up with that til I found that secret track 69 and track 99. Woah, don't forget track 88... -Dan --Another NyQuil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:49:15 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg in subject > Your list admin did this so he could delete/filter mail >without reading it. I now get all of tmbg-list, tmbg-digest, >and alt-music-tmbg (the newsgroup reflector) dumped in my mail ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Whoa! how can I get this?!? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Services Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:49:58 -0400 (EDT) Well, it seems some people don't go look at the web site when I tell 'em to, so I thought I should outline some things here: 1) You can now read tmbg-list via a news reader if that makes you happy. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for all the details. 2) You can now read the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup via mail, very handy if you don't have access to a news server (although you can read it from our news server). Again, see http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for all the details. 3) Someone is now working on the ftp site (ftp.tmbg.org) and it will soon be available via the web as well. In addition I can add that all the lyrics are up for Factory Showroom now, and we're starting to catch up with all the other mail we had (although we still have many interps and links to add). Please visit the web site (http://www.tmbg.org/) on a regular basis, and check the announcements page for major new additions. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:51:30 -0500 From: Tom Walker Subject: TMBG: help I'm not on this list, actually i was, but i was so killed with email that i had to get off. Could you please email me direct as to how long TMBG have been playing while opening for Hootie (really dont want to dish out 30 bucks, but might) and if they are coming to MPLS after the hootie thing? Is there a definite tour schedule per se? or not yet? thank you so much in advance. Tom Walker twalker@gac.edu ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Provo??? Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 16:17:00 P Hola. THis me Brenden - nednerB Is anyone on the list at BYU right now? if so please respond. Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Tony maimone Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 16:21:00 P Or how ever you spell that. Does any body know what happened to him??? Because I thought he was pretty groovy. You know what I mean. Like in their performance at the house of blues, ('94) and they played the guitar. Him and Flans looked like they were having so much fun. I personally don't know if the new bass player is cool. Maybe he is even better. I hope. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 22:42:09 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: TMBG: Who is me? + TMBG Question 19 yr old sophmore at Florida International University (Miami). I am a business major (MIS). I was a Comp Sci major until I figured out that I hate math (Calc II is lame!) Hobbies include computers, creating web pages, skimmboarding!, and collecting pocketwatches. Favorite media icons, Jim Carrey, Monty Python, The State, In Living Color, John Leguizamo, Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branaugh. Music: TMBG (of course), Barenaked Ladies, Talking Heads, Bjork, Pietasters, Ben Folds Five. Movies: STAR WARS(take you pick), The Fugitive, Much A Do About Nothing, (now drawing a blank). Art: Cezanne, Dali, Monet, Jepson. TMBG Question: Have they released the tour dates for the world album tour? Alrighty, Andreas ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 19:12:04 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Another request for the Broom Video Sorry... but a non-they-listee would like the address for the broom video and I've lost it...as usual... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: 24 Oct 1996 00:08:52 GMT From: Fergal Ryan Organization: Ireland On-Line Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Ireland????? Hi folks, Old TMBG fan here - new newsgroup poster tho' Can anybody help me out here? I see that TMBG are supporting Hootie and the (crap) Blowfish in the States but does anyone know if they're following them over here (H and TB are in Dublin next month - but nobody can tell me who the support are). Have to wait two weeks for FS to arrive in my local record shop so spending the meantime hoping its not the let down that JH was (my only TMBG let-down). I've chatted to the two Johns both times when they've been in Dublin, and found them both really friendly. Oh, and if anybody has good new on tour dates can they also mail me direct as I'm an infrequest visitor to this newgroup haven. ta! Fergal fergal.ryan@iol.ie ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:27:54 -0400 Subject: TMBG: billboard top 100!!!!!! my friend hansel told me tmbg made #89 in the top billboard 100. as he says--- "thats like a noemal band being number 1!" well bye. i dont know when ill write about "who i am" and stuff. i need time. me- "hansel,whats your favorite meat?" hansel- "....they migth be giants?" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:14:55 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: TMBG: TMBG Bootleg Hey, I don't know that a bootleg discograpy exists, and I haven't seen one on www.tmbg.org. I think it'd be a good idea to catalog all TMBG boots that exist, and as long as one doesn't exist, I want to compile it. If people are interested, then send me any TMBG bootleg lists you have, or a web address, if you haven't already. Soem of you out there who are experienced TMBG traders and willing to help some (eg, shows that have multiple boots, what's on boots, etc) please email me. thanks and for more tmbg content, though this may have been brought up: in teh tiny toons istanbul cartoon, there's a place near the end where the animators drew plucky and hampton to look like john&john .. its cool :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 21:23:11 -0500 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG are coming to Milwaukee! Linda Schultz wrote: > > I am totally psyched! I just found out TMBG are coming to Milwaukee on > November 30, they're coming to the Rave. Tickets went on sale today so will > have to get mine tomorrow. They are $17 and some cents, I can't remember, I > think Cub are opening for them but I won't say for sure on that one. but > everyone knows that I supposed who knew all the tour dates, so if you did, > sorry to waste your time. Email me if you're going, people, would love to > hear from anyone from Wisconsin or anywhere else. Good night! > Linda, who is my own worse enemy Rock on! If at all possible, I will see them, if I have to sell my soul! I'll keep you posted! Simon Koch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 21:37:47 -0500 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: I am not me Hola! My name is Simon Koch, from the thriving metropolis of Berlin, WI where I am the only person who's ever heard of TMBG. I got hooked on them this summer, because I work summers at Rokilio Boy Scout Camp in Kiel, WI, and A couple of guys from Fond du Lac worked there too who were big fans. I don't have any of their CD's yet 'cause nowhere within 45 minutes of me sells 'em, and even though I'm 16 and have my liscence, I have no car. IT'S DRIVING ME OUT OF MY GOURD!!! (sorry about the caps, but I really need to vent this) So far this is the coolest newsgroup or mailing list I've seen 'cause there's like no flames/pitches, etc... Maybe TMBG music just gives us all that inner peace or something. I'm in advanced math & science classes (not to brag, just looking for a kindred soul who understands just how much it sucks in a small town like this) Well that's enough for now, i suppose. P.S. Anyone have TMBG MIDIs? Death Makes Angels Of Us All/ Giving Us Wings Where We Once Had Shoulders/ Smooth As Raven's Claws/ Simon Koch mailto://sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~sfkoch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:00:08 -0700 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Who My? Oldest?Nope! At 9:32 AM -0700 10/22/96, Kathleen Jo Faulconer wrote: > I was raised on Spike Jones records- that may be a reason for my great >fondness for They Might Be Giants! Another old group - but of the rock 'n' roll era - that reminds me of Them is Bonzo Dog Band. Sometimes explicitly dada, with great musicians, at times mining joke songs of the 20's and 30's. I remember the year I went to camp in New Jersey...and the 64 World's Fair. I was 11 (ulp). I've placed on-line some photos that we took then: http://www.pinknoiz.com/soteric/64worldsfair.html including the outside of Disney pavilion where the yelling dolls were located. They're big files - be prepared for a wait if you have a slow connection, sorry. Bob Gonsalves, Research Director, Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ work: http:/www.aphasia.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:35:18 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toons and a question As much as I watched Tiny Toons, I NEVER saw the TMBG ones!!! How sad. All my They-friends saw them but for some reason I missed it. Also, I remember that stupid GOOD TIMES virus thingy going around a few months ago and somebody posted the explanation of why its a hoax. If that person could send it to me, I would appreciate it so I could send it along to my non-digerati friends who keep e-mailing me about it and send it to my school so they wouldn't keep reading the stupid letter in the announcements in the morning. People don't believe me that its a hoax. Trillian "You don't find it so mind-numbingly boring that the only hope for escape is death?"- Kafka ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:37:21 -0500 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! Evan Chakroff wrote: > > > Dave Simpson > > > > .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? > > No, _I'm_ not > So anyway, when IS the SEXXY single coming out??? > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 > "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... > and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer October 29th Simon Koch If bread always lands butter side down, and cats land on their feet, what happens to a cat with a slice of buttered bread on its back that falls from the 10th srory? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:44:20 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: disregard question Please disregard the question I asked in my last post. I found the link in an old e-mail. Sorry to bore you guys with it. Trillian Don't wear a toupee on a first date, especially not a red, green, or purple one. It's sorta They-like. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 00:20:02 +0600 From: Adam the Great Subject: TMBG: who am I??? Let's see..... Adam is a sagitarius who will be turning 20 in Dec. He is currently enroled at Virginia Tech and majoring in Theater Arts and Communication (double major). Hobbies include but are not limited to; movies, comic books, working on my comic strip, reading, writting, doing Theater stuff, and making my friends happy!! My musical tastes lean towards TMBG!!!, The Pietasters (I'm seeing them tommorow), Soul Coughing, No Doubt, Dave Mathews, U2, and the Blues Brothers. Movies.... hard to say because I like so many for different reasons. Star Wars(all of 'em), Citizen Kane, A Night At The Opera, anything really funny ( I could name them, but you wouldn't want to read them), and most recent addition into my list of good movies.... KITH: Brain Candy. My favorite type of art would have to be stuff in public restrooms. That's about it I guess. Questions, Comments? BRING 'EM ON!!!! Till next time I remain, -The Great A "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a crazy world!" -The Tick ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:15:43 -0500 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: This was not a good They day! I'm the one that was so happy that TMBG were coming to Milwaukee, so I'm at work and I try to get a ticket and the people at Ticket Master say there's nothing listed, so I call the radio station where I heard the info, and they said they were coming and that tickets went on sale yesterday. So then I called the Rave box office when it finally opened and they said they were definitely coming on November 30, but that they didn't have any info on when tickets would be on sale, so at least I was relieved about thatbut I was pissed I had to spend the morning dealing with ignorant Ticket Master people, who couldn't figure out who they Might be Giants were. I'm sure you all know the ignorant questions, there's no need to post them, those people make Gloria on Track 13 of Miss T look intelligent. Hopefully that show does exist and nothing else will happen to spoil it. My favorite song on FS is Your Own Worst enemy, and it's becoming the truth for me. Linda ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Is there anybody out there? Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:44:17 +1000 Hello I didn't get any mail today! Is there a problem with the tmbg-list, or has our server at work stuffed up again!! 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:14:44 -0700 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS Queen Sneepy wrote: > > I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but doesn anyone like they > synth bells better on the DAS version than the woman singing the bell > sound on FS? I heard the DAS version first, and I just like that version > better, it makes me think of bells more than the singing- anyone else?I like it better to. And I have it on tape, along with the "People i love song or whatever. Who I am Jeremy Mathews 14 yrs. (15 12/17) HUGE They fan. I also write songs, right now I've got around 30 written Gotta go now, more later. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:38:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Doolittle Subject: TMBG: A take a Hootie Okay. So last Saturday I went to a Hootie concert that TMBG was opening for. It was the first time I had ever seen Them, so it was interesting in that part. However, I was up in nosebleed section, so Linnel was unable to stare at me....Flans seemed really into it, he was bouncing around, and generally looked like he was having a good time. Linnel seemed rather subdued, basically just standing at his keyboard and singing. Until he directed the Spy improv (which was rather cool), then he seemed a bit more animated. I see now why Eric the second guitarist is not needed. He added very little to the show and was loud and obnoxious at times. Brian and the bassist who's name I forget are rather cool and add stuff to the show. And then there is the cool horn section. But get rid of the second guitar. Nothing pre-Flood was played, mostly stuff of of Factory Showroom and a few off of Flood and A18. Among the songs played: Older (as opener, that song kicks ass), SEXXY, Metal Detector (which they claimed was the first time it had been performed in public), NYC, Particle Man (with the accordian!), several others that escape me, and the Spy/improv/cool jazz trumpet solo/Istanbul ending. But don't go. They didn't play long enough, and Hootie afterward rather sucked. (I couldn't leave, the people I was with wanted to actually see Hootie...) Now, if I can get tickets to the Milwaukee show over thanksgiving, all will be better. -Jim (bored at work) Jim Doolittle doolittl@uiuc.edu or gimli@avara.com If it weren't for dissapointment To err is human, I wouldn't have any appointments To moo, bovine. -They Might Be Giants RSC Peer Consultant ''''''"""''"'~'""~~~http://www.avara.com/~gimli~~'"~''""~~'' ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 0:02:55 CST Subject: TMBG: FT WAYNE! At this time tommorrow I will have seen the Giants for the first time intwo years! YEE HAH!!!! I just hope they don't play for a half hour and then leave. But the John's wouldn't do that would they? FS kicks as BTW. I finally got my hands on it! It took a few times to get used to, buts that's normal for me at least. I'll probably tell all about it tommorrow! WHOOEE!!!! ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 0:06:48 CST Subject: TMBG: subjects are a pain in the ass John Cobb, are you on this list? ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 00:19:01 CST Subject: TMBG: triptophane Okay, I might sound REALLY dumb but I have a question. I LONG time ago, people were arguing a little about Triptophane and where it appears and all that crap. As far as I understood, Trip. was a Giants song, so why was it said that it was on the DWDTN ep? The first time I ever heard it was on Dial-a-Song, and even in one of the newsletters, They mentioned that for some time you were able to hear it on DAS. Explain? The other thing, is I feel even DUMBER asking this one, but since I'm not reading the entire list these days for lack of time(Iwas on a mac just now and it actually told me that it couldn't display the whole message because it was too long) I am confused again to the whole Am I Not Your Broom thing. I'm sorry if I'm a dumbass. I suppose the thing to do would be to just shutup so I don't look stupid, but you know what they say! THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS!!!!!!! Thanks for your time and understanding. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-291 ******************************