Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-292 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 292 Friday, 25 October 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Tony, Roseland line-up, and a shot in the dark. TMBG: It's me Nola: Roseland: Jason Pattan: No TMBG content Re: TMBG: A take a Hootie TMBG: Interview with Linnell TMBG: FS Liner notes TMBG: Another page in Amy's travel log TMBG: Best They Anagrams From The Anagram Generator Re: TMBG: Interview with Linnell TMBG: toast TMBG: 3"ers...again... TMBG: Anagrams TMBG: Newbie TMBG: questions for all you out there TMBG: Hello, Hello TMBG: No TMBG content, Please read!! TMBG: whoami TMBG: Paul Swan... TMBG: Buy a car, Simon Koch. Re: TMBG: questions for all you out there Re: TMBG: No TMBG content, Please read!! TMBG: ? TMBG: me/smurfs TMBG: smurfs TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! (none) Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! TMBG: Sega TMBG Mammal Squirrel Nut Zippers Love 4-ever Re: TMBG: who are you TMBG: TMBG as radio theme Re: TMBG: Popularity from Tiny Toons? TMBG: Charts Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! TMBG: TMBG IN SEATTLE and "Getting to know you...." TMBG: A GOOD REVIEW from MTV! Re: TMBG: toast Re: TMBG: Sega TMBG Mammal Squirrel Nut Zippers Love 4-ever Re: TMBG: who are you Re: TMBG: Sega TMBG Mammal Squirrel Nut Zippers Love 4-ever TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-291 Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Who Are You Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS TMBG: To all, IMPORTANT! Re: TMBG: Best They Anagrams From The Anagram Generator TMBG: Metal Detector Re: TMBG: MST3K TMBG: What you gotta know about me Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, TMBG: important/please read/sorry TMBG: Question! TMBG: Non-TMBG content: Any Wiccans on this list??? TMBG: Metal Detector, KITH, FS is in the UK Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG content: Any Wiccans on this list??? TMBG: WEEN not TMBG TMBG: time for you and time for me.... Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS TMBG: Chicago listing TMBG: Re: triptophane Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS TMBG: re:important/please read/sorry Re: TMBG: Re: triptophane TMBG: who i is TMBG: MTV Review TMBG: not posting TMBG: TMBG Subject Line TMBG: looking for the older .wav TMBG: Mono Puff video TMBG: FT.Wayne TMBG: what did I just say? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 02:09:50 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Tony, Roseland line-up, and a shot in the dark. Hello all. I believe Tony played on at least one song on Amy Rigby's new record. (I read a review in the Village Voice a month or so ago, and, as I recall, Tony was mentioned.) The line-up for Roseland in NYC on November 8th looks to be Magnetic Fields, cub, and TMBG. Yummy. Tickets available through ticketmaster or at the box office. And, finally, the shot in the dark. I am desperately searching for a copy of a record by The Primitives entitled "Lovely." I had a copy, but now my ex-boyfriend has it, and he's moved far away. (And yes, I'd like his head for taking it.) Unfortunately, it is out of print. I've looked at a million used CD stores, but, as of yet, to no avail. So, if anyone on this list has a copy and would be willing to sell or share, or has any ideas or whatever, could you please e-mail me. Thanks. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 02:27:31 -0400 (EDT) From: The Chipmunk Girl Subject: TMBG: It's me Nola: Roseland: Jason Pattan: No TMBG content CUB????? That is so cool!!!! I can't wait till the Roseland show! Hey, request... ------------>> JASON PATTAN?? <<-------------- You out there? You don't know me, but write to me anyway. It will be fun, come on! I know you want to! I know your brother...everybody's going to the show...TMBG will bring us together... Nola ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 02:48:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: A take a Hootie Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 23-Oct-96 TMBG: A take a Hootie by Jim Doolittle@uiuc.edu > song kicks ass), SEXXY, Metal Detector (which they claimed was the first Hmmmm... how'd MD sound live? It seems very complex... did Linnell play accordion during it? I mean... a lot of the song uses it, or could be modified to use it so the parts that use it can... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:34:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: Interview with Linnell Hey kids! Just wanted to tell y'all that there was an interview with TMBG--actually, Linnell--in my school's paper this week, and as it turns out, I got a hold of the full interview (rather than the shortened version in the paper) by e-mail from, like, a friend of a friend of the guy who wrote it. If anybody wants a copy of it, I will e-mail it to you. It's kinda long, otherwise I'd just post the thing. I'd just like to say that TMBG is FINALLY playing in my state this weekend and I have to miss it!!! I've been waiting for this for years, and now I won't be able to go. I think I'll kill myself now. Really, I'll be fine, --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:35:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Thomas Murphy Subject: TMBG: FS Liner notes i got lucky and found a copy of FS, a promo copy, at the used cd shop. Happy day! But now i realize that im lacking all the liner notes. Can anyone post all the non-lyric notes from the insert? Dont bother with the lyrics, we can get them from the web site. NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:02:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Another page in Amy's travel log I met Boba! Yesterday, I went to Pennsylvania to meet Boba, Matthew Ondrey! He is one of the nicest guys I know, and I feel very privileged to have met him :) Of course, this meeting didn't take place all that easily...I drove 3 hours across Ohio and saw more corn than I ever needed to see, some cows, and even a llama farm. Then once I got into Pennsylvania, I took a 2 hour *ahem* scenic tour of a lot of area that I didn't need to see. (I got lost in Pittsburgh) But I eventually got to the Ondrey House, and met Matthew's mom, his brother Mark who is also a huge TMBG fan, and of course our very own Boba. We had a blast, and I highly reccommend that you meet him if you get the chance! I didn't want to leave, and it showed because I left 2 1/2 hours later than I planned and ended up getting home at 3 am after being pulled over. But that's another story :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. -- Abraham Maslow ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Best They Anagrams From The Anagram Generator Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:15:41 -0500 The best THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS anagrams i got using the anagram maker (found from the link at ruprecht's page) No, they dont all make any sense: Baggy then this time Tying best high meat Thing byte sigh team Hasty thing meet big Tangy bets high item Tangy beet high mist Habit eggs mint they Habit eggs mint they Giant beet myth sigh Tight bags mine they Games thing they bit Baggy emit hits then Out of 308 of them that make no sense Now a few 3 word ones: Mighty hating beets Beaten mighty sight Taming eighth bytes [eighth bytes? is that 1 bit?] Beating eights myth Betting eighty hams Heating might bytes [ Might Bytes? A new microwavable tasty treat?] Teething smithy bag out of 94 of 'em If you read all that you are prbably really bored! _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:57:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Linnell At 11:34 PM 10/23/96 -0500, you wrote: >Hey kids! Just wanted to tell y'all that there was an interview with >TMBG--actually, Linnell--in my school's paper this week, Hey! I have a friend who goes to USC (In Los Angeles, not South Carolina!) and she says there's an interview with him in her campus magazine too. I wonder if it was released en masse or some such, Anyway, she's getting me about a million so if anybody's interested email me and I'll send you a copy of the article. > If anybody wants a copy of it, I will e-mail it to >you. It's kinda long, otherwise I'd just post the thing. Me me me! -Kilroy "I'm beyond men." -Winona Ryder, in "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:10:45 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (John Galt) Subject: TMBG: toast >If bread always lands butter side down, and cats land on their feet, >what happens to a cat with a slice of buttered bread on its back that >falls from the 10th srory? But when everything gets *really* confusing is when you eat toast butter-side down. Would it fall butter-side up, or would the law still function? How about a cat with a slice of butter-side down bread on it's back? Might the butter stick to the cat and keep the bread on it's back? Pondering those deep philosophical questions... Nathan Todd, aka tenman. Still busy recovering the satellites. *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* "Daylight fading Come and waste another year All the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn When we see the early signs that daylight's fading We leave just before it's gone" -Adam F. Duritz of the Counting Crows ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:09:52 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: 3"ers...again... Okay, whoever got me the 3" things, please write to exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) not me!!! He'd like to talk to you about em.... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:09:58 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Anagrams WYATT GLODELL wrote: The best THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS anagrams i got using the anagram maker (found from the link at ruprecht's page) No, they dont all make any sense: Baggy then this time Tying best high meat Thing byte sigh team Hasty thing meet big Tangy bets high item Tangy beet high mist Habit eggs mint they Habit eggs mint they Giant beet myth sigh Tight bags mine they Games thing they bit Baggy emit hits then Out of 308 of them that make no sense Now a few 3 word ones: Mighty hating beets Beaten mighty sight Taming eighth bytes [eighth bytes? is that 1 bit?] Beating eights myth Betting eighty hams Heating might bytes [ Might Bytes? A new microwavable tasty treat?] Teething smithy bag out of 94 of 'em If you read all that you are prbably really bored! I write: But what about The Mighty Be Giants ??????????????????????? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:06:20 -0600 From: William C Fricke (William C. Fricke) Subject: TMBG: Newbie Hello all... My Name is Bill and I am totally new to this list... I live in St. Paul, Minnesota and am 31. I am not a hardcore TMBG fan (yet), and in fact, my TMBG "fandom" is still in it's infancy. I had heard of TMBG, and caught the few songs that our local stations managed to play (Birdhouse...Don't Lets Start, etc) but not much else. At the time, they didn't particularly interest me and I went about my way. My girlfriend is the one responsible for getting me interested in them. She and her friends all adore TMBG and whenever we'd get together, inevitably the CD player would fill up and it would be a TMBG fest. I'd catch a few songs that kind of interested me, and yet, some of it was too obtuse for me to still quite grasp, so I'd politely listen along and wait for the music to change. Until Mono Puff..... I'd heard them on NPR and told my girlfriend about it (but at the time I thought it was TMBG because I recognized the voice, but wasn't paying much attention to the name of the band. Caught "Unsupervised" and "Nixon's the One" and told her about it). I thought, great, new album coming out by TMBG.... Then, a month or so ago, in Madison WI, we found Mono Puff (along with some great Lounge music) and was totally hooked by a good chunk of the recording.. Unsupervised and Don't Break the Heart (love that song so much I had to learn it and record it for myself)... and Devil went down to Newport.... Great stuff... Then it was time to backtrack.. Started borrowing other CD's and tapes, and now Factory Showroom which I love. "I Can Hear You" to me is totally brilliant in use and commentary of the technology of yesteryear and today (as well as being hysterically funny and catchy at the same time) The other night, "James K. Polk" caused my girlfriend and I to embark on a three hour adventure on naming all of the Presidents, then having to put them in order, look up terms served and what political affiliation they were. Just one of those things that once you've started you must finish because you need to know.....How anal.... anyway.... enough mad ramblings... Nice to be here... back to lurking.. thanks for your time. PS... my girlfriend works at Ticketmaster..... Don't be too hard on them... The person you're talking to probably has just sold 10,000 seats to Wayne Newton or something and their brain is jelly... She knows who TMBG are and has sold tickets to the Kansas City concert... We're thinking road trip as they aren't playing here (except with Hootie) and that's a waste of time. Gotta see them in a smaller venue... THanks again Vilmos ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 11:19:29 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: questions for all you out there Okay, all, i have a question for you. i don't think this is in the FAQ (i couldn't find it last night, but that's not saying it's not there), so here goes. what does PPFNP stand for? (the department one mails to for TMBProductions) any help would be greatly appreciated! theenks in advance. peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 09:38:11 MDT Subject: TMBG: Hello, Hello HELLO, HELLO ============ Hello, I've been on this list for about one year, and had to switch to the digest due to the sheer volume of mail. I decided to join the fun and write about myself (don't we all like to?) I first got hooked on TMBG about 4 years ago when KTCL started playing "The Statue" regularly. Then I remember hearing them play the first 4-5 songs of A18 straight through whild driving home from a Software Engineering class at CU/Boulder late at night. I was hooked. Then I realized that "Don't Let's Start" and "Ana Ng" were THEY songs and they sounded SO familiar! So I bought TMBG and Misc T next, and my family bought me Flood for my birthday. And ... I'm older than most of you and now I'm getting older .. I turned 38 on July 12 this year. I saw the pre-John Henry show in June of 1994 at the Ogden in Denver, and bought JH the first day it came out. After hearing about Tiny Toons, etc. Well, last Nov-Dec it seems there was a thread about all the TV appearances the Giants have made, which I had never seen. I taped one that my wife heard about in advance. I started compiling a list of them all, and started planning to make a compilation of them, with the help of fellow-listers. That way I and others could see them. That's how I stared the TMBG Video Bootleg project. I've almost got enough good stuff for a 2nd volume now. Hopefully they will be on lots of shows this fall promoting FS, which I bought the same day it came out, and find very fine. (SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION): Check out my web page and help me out! Even if my list says that I have a show, many of my recordings aren't so good. If you have 1st, 2nd- generation copies in VHS HI-FI let me know. I make the video bootleg available to all for a nominal fee. Thanks to Mike Rose, Matt Coon, Bryan White, Jon King, Ryan Staib, and many others for helping! I also actively tape the Dr. Demento show, and am a member of the Demento Society. My personal interests include, but are not limited to: Demented Music America Dan Fogleberg Elton John Chicago Jethro Tull Billy Joel The Beatles Counting Crows Joe Jackson Spandau Ballet The Sundays Howard Jones Frans Schubert October Project Alan Parsons Project Pink Floyd The Who They Might Be Giants Steely Dan Frank Zappa Tonio K The Moody Blues Johan Sebastian Bach Thompson Twins The Ocean Blue The B-52s The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo Voice Of The Beehive ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 11:36 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: No TMBG content, Please read!! Ok, I hate it when people post non-TMBG related stuff on this group, but I need a favor. I just found out that someone I love very much is sick. I need to collect some really good jokes to send to her throughout the next few months of chemo, etc. Both dirty and clean are gratefully accepted, as well as intellectual and/or silly. Thank you very much! -j.l., using some capital letters in keeping with the gravity of the situation. ObTMBG: I am *so* impressed that the Info club sells 2 different T-shirts in 4T (baby) size!! I think I'll buy one, and I hope I'll need it soon! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:22:07 -0400 From: susan lyon Subject: TMBG: whoami hi. this another of those introduction thingies, so if you are mean and rotten and find these boring, go ahead and delete away... i'm susan and i turned 23 this year on june 23 (6-23), so i think this means that the illuminati are about to kidnap me or something. i work at a crummy office job at the university of michigan. i went to college here for two years and then i ran out of money and motivation, but when i got back i wanna major in computer science. i adore the smiths a tiny bit more than tmbg, but not much more. my hobbies are collecting glow-in-the-dark things, having deep theological debates, playing with my pet mousie margaret, dreaming up evil plots for my vampire: the masquerade campaign, researching conspiracy theories on the web, and coloring inside the lines. if i were a computer program, my icon would be a glow-in-the-dark dinosaur, which is one of my most prized posessions and i got it for 75 cents at the local weird-stuff-for-college-students store. i am not in any way, shape, or form dave simpson. i really like the "tmbg:" in the subject line, too. byebye susan ``````````````````````````````````````` ` Susan Lyon ` CTHULHU '96 ` ` 314 Hutchins Hall ` Why settle ` ` Ann Arbor, MI 48109 ` for the ` ` (312) 647-4087 ` lesser evil? ` ``````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:34:26 +0100 From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Paul Swan... Paul Swan - please e-mail me. Joe -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ******************************** * * 668 - The neighbor of the beast ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:44:31 -0400 From: Bob Plass Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: Buy a car, Simon Koch. Hello Advil Addicts, Intro's are in: Name: Bob, 25 (and my gal Lauren, 24) Stuff we do: I am a graduate student at the SUNY State College of Optometry, where I am also the email administrator. I also work part-time for Schick Technologies http://www.schicktech.com . Lauren, my gal, is an artist. She lives in Baltimore, and I live in NYC, but we see each other every four days. Lauren and I also do alot of volunteer work, http://www.sunyopt.edu/suny/studorg/svosh.htm , and Lauren volunteers as an art teacher for inner city youth in Baltimore. (no URL, sorry). Other stuff: I introduced Lauren to THEM when we first started dating. She asked me, "So, what kind of music do you listen to?" EVIL GRIN VERY WIDE EVIL GRIN - EVEN WIDER THAN MY EVIL TWIN'S GRIN! She fell in love with THEM (and me), the only song she knew of THEIR's was, "Don't Let's Start," which was kind of weird, here's why: I made two mix tapes of what I considered to be TMBG's Greatest Hits (you can imagine what's on it). I included most of the standards, but was absolutely unafraid to include the less "mainstream" songs, which I thought was cool. We were listening to one of the albums and when Don't Let's Start came on, Lauren jumped right in and began singing along, "Smell the cat food, in your bank account" and I almost dropped over dead. It's not the typical line most newbies might be familiar with, you know? Since I didn't die: Well, now Lauren and I sing TMBG songs all the time, since I have no radio in my "car." To Simon Koch who has no car: OH MY GOD I know exactly how you feel. Let me give you some advice - go and buy a car. I bought one for $500, it's a real piece of chess face, but it gets me around. Just go and spend your Bar Mitzvah money or whatever and just go and buy yourself a car. Get a job working on weekends or evenings or something and just get one. Beg, steal, cry in front of your parents shamelessly, whatever, just go and get one, even if it is worse than my "car." This way, you can drive to record stores and buy TMBG albums, and also you can drive to TMBG concerts. You can also drive around and listen to TMBG songs on your radio, or just sing like Lauren and I do. Bob Plass ----------------------------- "You are so S-E-X-X, and another X, -Y." - - - Lauren, being cute and cuddly and huggly last weekend. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:43:59 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: TMBG: questions for all you out there On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Anne E. Heidemann wrote: > Okay, all, i have a question for you. > i don't think this is in the FAQ (i couldn't find it last night, but > that's not saying it's not there), so here goes. > > what does PPFNP stand for? > "Pure Pop For Now People", an album by Nick Lowe. Someone involved with TMB Productions really liked the record and the rest, as they say, is history. Mike http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:13:16 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: No TMBG content, Please read!! >ObTMBG: I am *so* impressed that the Info club sells 2 different > T-shirts in 4T (baby) size!! I think I'll buy one, and I > hope I'll need it soon! Why, you on a diet? ;-) -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:01:56 -0400 From: Gautam Peri Subject: TMBG: ? I guess this is the introduce yourself thread...fine. My name's Gautam, I'm from Jersey, I'm 19, I'm an economics major at Rutgers University (xferred from U of Chicago)...I've been a TMBG fan since 1988 (first album was Lincoln). Other bands I listen to include Live, Rush, Alice in Chains, Tragically Hip, U2, Our Lady Peace, blah blah...I play bass (upright and electric), guitar and I sing (rock and classical), and I'm a disgruntled Met fan, which means that during this world series I have never been a bigger Braves fan in my life. :) Take care. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Your terrified screams are inaudible, drowned in the spiral ahead and consumed in the shape." -John Linnell of They Might Be Giants in "Spiraling Shape" Gautam Peri, Economics (Yes, really), Rutgers University http://www2.cybernex.net/~peri +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: me/smurfs Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:08:59 -0400 (EDT) Hi, I'm ultrabored at work for reasons beyond my comprehension so I'll tell you that I'm a Baltimoron and that I love TMBG and I also love Britpo and Synthpop. There are a few American bands besides tmbg that I enjoy too. I also love tennis (although i rarely get to play these days) and I enjoy rollerblading (especially fast and over long distances but not necesarily the two combined). I dig Bruce Campbell and that pge below in my .sig will be up shortly, hopefully the best Bruce page on the net. I am also a computer programmer type whois not programming at the moment. I also enjoy applesauce on my peas and i love pretzels. I enjoy attending concerts too, even tho there are too many good ones coming up for me to afford all of them. If you see a green '97 Neon at a tmbg concert (and possibly with tmbg tags) it's probably me pulling up. I love you all, Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: smurfs Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:17:08 -0400 (EDT) I was curious if anyone has heard of a band named the Smurfs? I looked at the UK Top 40 and they were ranked in the top 5. Also I forgo tsay about myself, I also enjoy when Boba mails me because when he mails me and says hi, in a paradoxical kind of way he is saying "hi" to himself. Also has anyone determined what the 18 unreleased songs will be on the Restless discs? Are these singles or actual unreleased tracks anywhere? (maybe DAS)? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:38:49 EDT ALTHOUGH THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TMBG, IT IS STILL IMPORTANT AND I WANTED TO GET IT OUT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE... if you want to get technical, i'm sure They would be against it... PLEASE VOTE... AND, PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED ------- Forwarded Message >>>Please take a moment to read this -- it concerns a vote for a white >>>supremacist Usenet newsgroup. If you have a moment, I would urge you to >>>vote NO, according to the instructions below, and to forward this message >>>to others. >>> >>> -Nathan >>> >>>>> >>>>> A group of NEO-NAZIS are trying to form a newsgroup on >>>>>Usenet called "rec.music.white-power", so that they can get their >>>>>message of hate out to young people using the Internet. >>>>>Newsgroups are public discussions on the Internet and their >>>>>formation requires enough support from the Internet community. >>>>> >>>>>EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US HAS ONE VOTE when it comes >>>>>to creating a new Usenet group. I hope you will vote NO and >>>>>thereby tell these NAZIS we don't want their stuff on the net. Below >>>>>is the procedure, please repost this plea and get the NO vote out. If >>>>>you want to see the official call for votes, you can try on >>>>>"news.group". >>>>> >>>>> DO NOT VOTE TWICE - that would constitute voting fraud. >>>>> >>>>> HOW TO VOTE: >>>>> >>>>> Send e-mail (posts to newsgroups are invalid) to: >>>>> >>>>> music-vote@sub-rosa.com >>>>> >>>>> This is an impartial, third party vote taker. >>>>> Please check the address before you mail your vote. Your mail >>>>> message, to be accepted by the counting computer, must >>>>> contain only the following statement with no signature: >>>>> >>>>> I vote NO on rec.music.white-power >>>>> >>>>> Vote counting is automated. Failure to follow these directions >>>>>may mean that your vote does not get counted. If you do not receive >>>>>an acknowledgment of your vote within three days contact the >>>>>votetaker about the problem. It's your responsibility to make sure >>>>>your vote is registered correctly. >>>>> >>>>> Here's what Canada's George Burdi, of the neo-Nazi Heritage >>>>>Front, had to say about this vote, on February 21, on his RESISTANCE >>>>>mailing list: >>>>> >>>>> "There is a call for votes coming on rec.music.white-power >>>>> in the next week or so, and you will be notified in a special >>>>> issue of RREN exactly what to do. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS >>>>> TO THE LETTER. Let me be perfectly blunt and state that we have >>>>> more than enough net-nazis to win this thing handsdown. But every >>>>> one of you must vote YES! And just voting yes means nothing unless >>>>> you do it properly. So you have been forewarned. The >>>>> instructions are coming to your email box soon, and they are not >>>>> complicated. Just follow them as told, and we will have a WP music >>>>> newsgroup finally!" >>>>> >>>>>If Mr. Burdi's confidence disturbs you, please give this letter the widest >>>>>possible >>>>>distribution, and help us deliver the largest NO vote in the history of the >>>>>UseNet. >>>>> >>>>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > > ------- End of Forwarded Message ------------------------------ From: Greg Nicholson Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 15:27:14 EDT Does anyone on this list go to UVA? I'm sick of all my friends not appreciating TMBG. Greg ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:34:53 -0500 (CDT) Apologies in advance, this needed to be said... > ALTHOUGH THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TMBG, IT IS STILL IMPORTANT AND I WANTED TO > GET IT OUT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE... Yes, it's important, but for a different reasons than the ones you were trying to get across. What's all this debate been about the CDA and all that other assorted crap? Freedom of speech. The right to say whatever the hell we want on the net. So now we're all supposed to just turn our backs on what we were just fighting against, because we don't happen to agree with the philosophies expressed by another group of people? Go us. Who's to say that Nazism is utter crap and our beliefs are all-high and mighty? Sure, we most likely believe that it's utter Bullshit, I know I do, but that doesn't give me, or any one of you, the right to just leap in and say "No, I don't agree with you; shut up." By voting to disallow the Nazi usenet group from forming, you're doing the exact same thing they stand for, and then we're no better than they are. It seems like everyone always screams "discrimination" until they're on the discriminating side... I certainly don't agree with their philosophies or beliefs, but damned if I'm going to sit by and let this happen... What's going to be next? Say, White Zombie? Marilyn Manson? Good heaven! That's the voice of Satan! (does anyone see a pattern here?) -CJ, Anakin, whatever... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:57:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: Sega TMBG Mammal Squirrel Nut Zippers Love 4-ever Ben or Been is back!!! After a long, quiet hiatus. Snore. I forgot to tell you guys. I saw over the summer in a used-CD store a Sega-CD containing tracks from different bands, including TMBG's "Mammal." I wanted to buy it, but didn't because of the price, but when I decided I had to have it, I went back and it was gone. >:....( By the way, I saw on Sunday Squirrel Nut Zippers in concert. EVERYONE ON THIS LIST WILL LOVE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS. BUY THEIR DEBUT _THE INEVITABLE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS_ VERY, VERY SOON. Thanks. Oh, please respond to me personally someone: Does SEXXY the single come out this coming Tuesday? Love you all! Ben or Been PS--The Guitar - Flansburgh = A TOKEN back to Broolyn. Do you understand??????? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:27:27 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you You wanna know who I am? Glad you asked. I'm a 14-year-old, and am a freshman in high school, which sucks. I'm into silly hats, playing drums, painting my face white, listening to more music than can really be good for the brain, skiing(downhill), theater(especially improv), soccer and occasionally football, which I'm really really bad at, writing, Monty Python, Douglas Adams, Grover, The Count, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and many other things you don't care about. I play drums for an in-its-infancy(read: bad) band which at the moment is called Milk. And if we told you why, we'd have to kill you. My favorite bands at the moment are: TMBG, REM, Talking Heads, Eels, U2, Violent Femmes, Cracker, Pink Floyd, Phish, and Nirvana(even though I hate all other "grunge"). Possible future careers include: Professional Drummer, Beat Poet, Street Mime, Writer, Comedy Actor, or President of the United States(no, not the band!). And that's all I got to say about that. -- "Civilization is a religion. Civilized people walk funny"-David Byrne Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:33:33 -0500 (CDT) From: harris james andrew Subject: TMBG: TMBG as radio theme Briefly, I'm Jim Harris. A Journalism major at Northern Illinois University. 21 years old. Worshipper of TMBG, Bob Mould, Danzig, and punk rock of all kinds. The first TMBG song I heard was "Don't Lets Start", actually, on an episode of "AL TV" (a really old episode). TMBG fan for about four years. (The "Tiny Toons" episode got me hooked, too, despite the fact that I'd heard of THEY previously, I bought their stuff after I saw this) Own all the albums, seen them live once. Getting to another point: I work at a radio station here and do a show. I was going to do a TMBG theme block, and got to thinking of other TMBG themed blocks I could do. The one I was going to do: TMBG- "XTC vs. Adam Ant" (FS is currently in heavy rotation, by the way) XTC song Adam Ant song Bow Wow Wow song ("Even the lead singer from Bow Wow Wow can't make up her mind") Others that could be done: TMBG- "Twisting" DBs song Young Fresh Fellows song TMBG- "Rhythm Section Want Ad" Eurythimics song Menudo song MDC song TMBG- "The Day" (I hate this damn song, though) Marvin Gaye song Phil Ochs song I could make a show out of this! (Are there any I'm missing?) Jim Harris P.S...Would anyone be interested in me posting an old TMBG press release I found at the studio? It's dated 1988, and accompanied the "Lincoln" record. If so, I'll post it. Reply, please. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 16:41 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Popularity from Tiny Toons? >Ah, no, it doesn't depress me at all. Tiny Toons was a very popular >cartoon, and was a favorite among the college set before Animaniacs came >along and thoroughly took over. In any case, Tiny Toons did the nation a >great service by exposing TMBG to those who otherwise might never have >known, including me. Those two songs were the first I ever heard, straight >from the cartoon, and I remember thinking: "Those were real songs by a real >band? Or did they just make that up for the show?" You too, eh? I went around for about six months going "Who's There May Be Giants?" Then I finally got Flood, then Lincoln, then the Pink album, etc., etc. I personally am exceedingly glad I was watching Tiny Toons on that day, or else I may never have become the awesome, TMBG loving person I am today. -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 20:58:38 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: TMBG: Charts Hey on Music Central they have charts divided up by cities, and in Boston on the week of the 13th Factory Showroom was at #61! Go Boston! http://musiccentral.msn.com/ThisWeekIn/Charts/Charts.htm Sir A/2 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:49:48 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 jting@MIT.EDU wrote: > ALTHOUGH THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TMBG, IT IS STILL IMPORTANT AND I WANTED TO > GET IT OUT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE... > if you want to get technical, i'm sure They would be against it... > PLEASE VOTE... > AND, > PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED> Uh, I just wnated to respond to this post because I felt it was important. Now I hate Nazis, racists, fascists as much or more than the next guy(or girl) but I have to say that I find it more important to protect free speech. I mean, what's the difference if racist discussion is banned or discussion of abortion is banned? I definetly don't support banning of the latter, so I have to accept the former too. I don't remember who said it but the first amendment is meant to protect the speech that we DON'T like. Not to equate any people on this list wiht nazis but there's plenty of people that don't like Eric Schermerhorn for subjective reasons that aren't necessarily any more valid than the reasons nazis don't like Jews, etc. That's just the way I feel. I believw nazis repel more people than they attract with their writing. It comes down to this: Nazis suck, but they have a right to suck. So anyway, have a happy day and be sure to taunt any nazis you see, -Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:17:56 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, please read!! On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 jting@MIT.EDU wrote: > > ALTHOUGH THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TMBG, IT IS STILL IMPORTANT AND I WANTED TO > GET IT OUT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE... > if you want to get technical, i'm sure They would be against it... > PLEASE VOTE... > AND, > PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED> If you vote against the Nazi newsgroup you can then call yourself "Net Gestapo". I don't dig on Nazi's, but free speach is more important than a couple of idiots mumbling about the stuff they do. It may suck, but it would suck worse if TMBG was deemed inappropiate by a group that hates cool music. -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:14:34 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: TMBG IN SEATTLE and "Getting to know you...." Is there room on the bandwagon for yet another spine-tingling personal bio? Come on, you know you wanna read it! My name is Cory, but I'm sure you all know that! I attend the northwesternmost university in the contiguous United States, Western Washington University. (Perhaps you know that too....) I'm 19, a sophmore, and a graphics design major. However, this is only a way to make enough money to go to FILM SCHOOL in Vancouver! (I'm leavin' in three days...yadda yadda.) Likes: Aside from Them (natch), there's Frank Black (my favoritest other musical force), Weezer, Nirvana, Tracy Bonham, and a lil' bit o' Primus. Films: Citizen Kane, Back to the Future (it's more genius than you think), The Abyss, the Stand, Brazil (most incredible), most things Hitchcock, and things Gilliam, among dozens more. Plus, ANY video by Spike Jonze. Hobbies: playing the drums, and fiendishly brain-taxing wordplay. **REMEMBER: "stressed" backwards is "desserts"!** NOW, about the TMBG Seattle show on Nov. 17: anyone on here who's remotely close to the Seattle area? Anybody? (It'd be my second show.) Woo hoo! Thanks! later, cory ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:30:35 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: A GOOD REVIEW from MTV! Hey everyone. I found a great review of FS on MTV Online. I think it's about the best review there's been of it; and not because it says gazillions of good things about it, but it explains EXACTLY what's good about it. Whether or not anyone may agree, it's at: http://mtv.com/music/reviews/giants.html I thought the reviewer was more fit to analyzing the album then, say, the guy from CMJ (ech) or the review of FS in People (it was positive, but, God almighty, do we want Them SANE?) because this reviewer actually knows a thing or two about the band. (He makes mention of how YOWE and Cage & Aquarium respectively have each of their refrains derived from old 70's hits. Interesting, no?) Don't choke on food for thought, Cory ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:39:38 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: toast >function? How about a cat with a slice of butter-side down bread on it's >back? Might the butter stick to the cat and keep the bread on it's back? > No. In that scenario, whatever force that keeps cats landing on their feet and bread butter-side-down would be doubled, therefore both the cat and the bread would be crushed by the force on impact. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:55:32 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Sega TMBG Mammal Squirrel Nut Zippers Love 4-ever >PS--The Guitar - Flansburgh =3D A TOKEN back to Broolyn. > >Do you understand??????? yes but no. I know what you mean, but not what your meaning is. PS- Benjamin Hauck whoa! another TMBG fan in central ohio area! I'm in westerville, and I have a freenet account, but I never use it. Do you have any idea when they're coming anywhere near here? (not that you would know any better than me...) PPS- I downloaded some SNZ .wavs and my first iumpression was that they sound old... like a band from the 40s or 50s -- Evan Chakroff, Who Is Addicted To Retsyn=AE The Internet Mystery Spot :: SIG v2.1 :: O- . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 :: -><- "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:03:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: who are you You asked for it. I am Kilroy the Exceptionally Short, known in lesser circles as Lorelei= Laird. I live (not by choice) in San Diego, California, which is a nice= place to live, but I wouldn't want to live here, if y'know what I mean. I= am loud, opinionated, proud, and a collector of funny hats and tights. I= bootleg (mostly TMBG) often and with wild abandon; email me if you wanna= trade! I'm a senior in high school, the scholarly type, and am applying= early decision to Carnegie Mellon University, where I will major in some= humanity and probably end up getting a master's because I can't think of= anything special to do with my life at the moment. I am a poet and a good= one. I may get a car tomorrow, but may not be allowed to drive it yet= because of a fiasco last saturday involving one cap gun, five real ones, my= mother's car, and the Dead Kennedys. I also like ska a whole lot; not in= the cheesy junior high because-it's-popular way, but because I can dance to= it. Other favorite bands include REM, Belly, Madness, and in fact most= 2-tone ska, as well as eighties music (All the best cheesy stuff!). All of= my best friends are either away at college or in other cities. I like= Maguritte paintings and Beckett plays; I wear my bowler hat whenever I can.= I am learning to play the saxophone; I want to take swing dance lessons. If= you're still here, thank you. >:} -Kilroy "I'm beyond men." -Winona Ryder, in "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:09:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: Sega TMBG Mammal Squirrel Nut Zippers Love 4-ever >By the way, I saw on Sunday Squirrel Nut Zippers in concert. EVERYONE ON >THIS LIST WILL LOVE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS. BUY THEIR DEBUT _THE INEVITABLE >SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS_ VERY, VERY SOON. Thanks. I also read a southern California ska newsgroup, whose members have been raving on and off for the past few months about this very band. I haven't heard them, but they sound excellent, and they have a few quirks too--their CD does some special screen thingy when put into a CD-ROM, and they gave out Squrrel Nut Zippers blend coffee with every CD at one point. According to what I read, they are "Dixieland/Hot (whatever the hell hot is) with a little touch of swing." >Oh, please respond to me personally someone: >Does SEXXY the single come out this coming Tuesday? > That's the most official word there is on it. -Kilroy >PS--The Guitar - Flansburgh = A TOKEN back to Broolyn. > >Do you understand??????? No! The FS tape doesn't HAVE Token on it. "I'm beyond men." -Winona Ryder, in "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:39:29 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-291 Kasey Hicks wrote: > Got our tickets! The Warfield is a great venue for them--it's where we > first saw them back in '92. Does anyone know who's opening for them? > > Kasey & Cameo The opening band is cub, who wrote and originally performed "New York City." I can't wait to see them. Last time I saw them at the Warfield I was way up in the balcony. This time I'll be down on the floor. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:38:24 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: PEOPLE MAGAZINE!!!!!! > Simon Koch > > If bread always lands butter side down, and cats land on their feet, > what happens to a cat with a slice of buttered bread on its back that > falls from the 10th srory? It's a source of infinite energy. See the cat would turn to land on it's feet, but the bread would turn to land on the butter. Just hook up a shaft to the cat, and you will solve all the world's energy problems. You could put the cat in your car instead of the engine and never buy gas again. Just don't put the bread on upsidown. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:38:29 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Are You I think I may be the last person to answer this question. My name is Colin Ferm. I am 18 years old and work for the Contra Costa Times in San Francisco's Bay Area as the Web Master for their site. I've been into TMBG since I first heard Apollo 18 (yes, I guess I'm sort of a newbie), and have in the mean time, managed to collect every other album and a couple of singles. I've been on this list before but quit for a short while. I'm back though. In my spare time I write, play guitar, mess with my PC, hang out with my girlfriend, and maintain my 72 Bug. I just graduated High school, and took a semester off, but when I do go, I'm going to major in film. That's me. -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:41:32 -0600 (MDT) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS > > I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but doesn anyone like they > > synth bells better on the DAS version than the woman singing the bell > > sound on FS? I heard the DAS version first, and I just like that version > > better, it makes me think of bells more than the singing- anyone else?I like it better to. And I have it on tape, along with the "People i love > song or whatever. Does the DAS version exist on any web pages? If so, what are the addresses? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: To all, IMPORTANT! From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:03:58 EDT I'm trying as hard as I can to go to They's Oct. 31 show in Minniapolis with Hootie Blowing Fish. I just wan't you all to know that I'm going to try as hard as i can to intercept Either Johns. I'm just trying to get you ideas for questions I should ask Them. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG please E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Best They Anagrams From The Anagram Generator From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:56:34 EDT On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:15:41 -0500 wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) writes: >The best THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS anagrams i got using the anagram maker >(found from the link at ruprecht's page) http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/ In case you were wondering Quote of the day "There's nothing wrong with women, but you only need one" -Dr. Ben Carson CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Metal Detector From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:03:58 EDT Just a corellation between Metal Detector and Pete&Pete. I one episode about pete's life, He find himself on the beach with his family and they're walking around with a Metal detector, not a lon while later, they pick up a really big beep. After five minutes of digging with their hands, they drive off with a new car! filled with all the perks. Even though that episode was about a year ago, wouldn't be great to think there might be some connection between They and Pete? _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG please E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:03:58 EDT On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:49:37 -0600 (MDT) David Simpson writes: >> > Dave Simpson >> > >> > .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? >> ^ >> If you get a chance please change your signature, it's starting to >get >> annoying. >You think? Hmm.. usually I get to use them longer before they get >annoying. Okay, how's this: > > Dave Simpson > > Fight Illiteracy -- shoot a hick ^ Because I am God, I deem it necessary for you to go far with that one. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG please E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:59:31 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG: What you gotta know about me Hi. I have been posting here for quite some time now and some of you know me already. For those of you who don't, count yourself lucky. Anyway your MIKe knowledge is about to increase dramatically. I was born in a lighthouse, my mother was the sea. Actually, I was born in New Jersey but grew up in Vancouver and Toronto, er, Totonot, which is where I live now. I'm suddenly 23, as these things happen, and I've recently graduated from film school with one of those pesky B.A.A thingys, now the rest is up to me. I've written a novel which I, at least, enjoy reading and my hope is that soon it will be available for your perusal. Actually, one of you out there actually has a copy, I hope you've had time to read some of it! :) It took me three years to write it cause I like to spend a lot of time idly straining for the next word to go in the sentence. I'm working on a new book right now, it's an outer-space absurdist fantasy, much like the last one. When I write I am brutally surreal, which basically means I may love my characters a lot but I am not afraid to torture and kill them in various humiliating and violent ways. How this all fits into the comedy genre has yet to be seen, cause I do demand my readers laugh at some rather dark stuff, but we all must follow our sick twisted creative impulses. As for music, well, TMBG are okay I guess. :) I also like King Missile, XTC, Ween, Art of Noise, Yello, Danny Elfman, Elliot Goldenthal, Talking Heads, The Clash, REM, New Order...and lots lots more. I collect vinyl and have lots of it. I especially like to obtain movie scores, for some reason. Not the top 40 type of movie soundtrack: I mean the scores, orchestral or electronic. I also like to collect very bad records, like the Electronic Moog Orchestra version of Star Wars, or Buckner and Garcia's Pac Man Fever. Sometimes the worst of something can hold its own special charms, which is also why I like a lot of terrible movies that everyone else hates. Movies: My top 5 in no particular order except for #1: Brazil, Batman, Aliens, 2001, Evil Dead II. Terry Gilliam, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, Joel and Ethan Coen, Lawrence Kasdan, Kathryn Bigelow, Sam Raimi, Stanley "God of filmmakers" Kubrick, the list goes on and on. I love movies so much I want to make them. I will, eventually. This is where I had a paragraph about how I got into TMBG. I hated it after I wrote it so I took it out. Um, all I will say is I have been a die hard fan for over five years, and when I say die hard I really mean dangerously fanatical. Here was where I had a list of all my wonderful friends from this TMBG list. I was paranoid that someone would read something into the placement of names or maybe I'd accidentally leave some out, so I erased it. You know who you are. All my friends here know how much I love them and how much better they have all made my life. And when I say things like this about these people it is not mere hyperbole. I am very lucky to have made the friends I have and I know it. You can read some of my short stories on my web page, the ubiquitous Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour, which is co-maintained by that master of HTML and erstwhile mad scientist, Alex Gershon. We refuse to explain what we do, but we vow to make this little twisted lump of weirdness even weirder as time goes on. I encourage you all to take the plunge and check it out. I also encourage you to email me about anything you like, for I do respond and I know some of you out there have similar inclinations in some ways. (Shout out to that guy who wants to go to film school and loves Brazil: I'm here, buddy! Drop me a line). I have left a lot of stuff out because this is a TMBG list and basically, though you may have read this, you really don't give a fuck. I've given you all you need to know about me to place my actions in some sort of frightening context you'd rather not think about. But, try to forget me. Just try. (diabolical laughter). So here is the overview of MIKe in condensed form: Sex: Male (or: hoping for some) Age: 23 (this may change) Hobbies: It is illegal to list them here. Education: I forgot everything I learned. Job: Fool for hire. I also start tomorrow as a salesperson at an electronics store. This is where a film school degree may get you, too! Likeability: Once you get to know me, I will always be in your thoughts. This may not be such a good thing. I am kinda cute, in a pudgy roly poly sort of way. Radio experience: I had a show on my University's FM station for a while. I don't have it any more. Take a wild guess why. Other: I used to be lonely. Then I got to know all these amazing people through this list...and I am still lonely cause I never get to see them! :) I'm probably going to hell, but Jews don't believe in hell. But then, I'm not really a very good Jew, so I imagine all bets are off. Somebody pass the bacon please. See you soon, my indolent friends. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned PS: Good work Leo Bicknell, for all you do, we love you through and through, baby. I met Leo in DC in August. He shook my hand and then shrunk back in fear. I wonder if I could take him. He's obviously smarter than me, and much more charismatic, but could I drop him? I wonder. Not that this will ever be a problem, since he got that restraining order. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: has nothing to do with tmbg, but is important, From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:56:34 EDT On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:38:49 EDT jting@MIT.EDU writes: >ALTHOUGH THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TMBG, IT IS STILL IMPORTANT AND >I WANTED TO GET IT OUT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE... >if you want to get technical, i'm sure They would be against it... >PLEASE VOTE...AND, PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE WHO WOULD BE >INTERESTED > >Please take a moment to read this -- it concerns a vote for a white >supremacist Usenet newsgroup. If you have a moment, I would urge you to >vote NO, according to the instructions below, and to forward this message to others. > > -Nathan > >>>>>> >>>>>> A group of NEO-NAZIS are trying to form a newsgroup on >>>>>>Usenet called "rec.music.white-power", so that they can get their >>>>>>message of hate out to young people using the Internet. >>>>>>Newsgroups are public discussions on the Internet and their >>>>>>formation requires enough support from the Internet community. I must remind you that this is VERY, VERY *old*... I first saw this message several months ago and the vote is OVER... I must also take a moment to add that this is the very reason that the internet is not a place for free speech. The internet is a sickly self-censored entity much like movies and TV... I'm not saying that white supremicists are right or even that they should have a newsgroup, I'm just saying that if the internet were truly a place for the freedom of speech, this e-mail would have never begun. CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: important/please read/sorry Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:19:34 EDT thanks, i had a feeling that it/ the message about neonazi newsgroup/ may be a bit old b/c of the feb date but sent it anyways...to anyone who disagrees because of the freedom of speech implications, sorry, but i don't see it as a freedom of speech issue....i would tell you to vote yes for it if you wanted to, but since it's over, oh well...please disregard it. (i don't think i'll post for a while now...)j. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:40:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Question! Is it just me being deprived down here in Kentucky, or do some of guys with these bios actually "sound cute"? I know, I know...how do you sound cute? Beats me, I just know that it can happen when you live in KY for extended periods of time. Just curious as to whether it was just me that noticed this....I know...it was. Sorry:) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 01:40:49 +0100 From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG content: Any Wiccans on this list??? Are there any Wiccans on this list. I've a couple of questions that I need answers to, so if you could e-mail me, I would appreciate it very much... Thanks Joe -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ******************************** * * 668 - The neighbor of the beast ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 01:40:45 +0100 From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Metal Detector, KITH, FS is in the UK Metal Detector: I just had an odd thought. Could the "metal" in Metal Detector be homonymous with "mettle"? As in this guy has something to do that requires great courage, he's searching for the mettle to do so? Just a thought! KITH: I seem to remember from this list the KITH has been cancelled. Does anyone know when the last episode was made? Over here at the moment, they're showing a series that was made in 1990 - just wondered how much more we've got to look forward to FS: If anyone over here is interested, FS is available on import at the hefty import price of 20 quid (that's about 30 bucks U.S.). HMV in London had about 15 copies last time I looked! Joe -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ******************************** * * 668 - The neighbor of the beast ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG content: Any Wiccans on this list??? Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:52:55 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called Joe Keith...... > Are there any Wiccans on this list. I've a couple of questions that I need > answers to, so if you could e-mail me, I would appreciate it very much... > > Thanks > > Joe wiccans? as in handfasting? you dont go to the resort do you perchance? im just as befuddled about that as you! -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||grimace||tryptophane||didIaskForFries?||IamNotYourBroom|| yublocka@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:53:20 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG: WEEN not TMBG Hi. Please forgive me for this post about the band Ween but I must do it. Last night I saw Ween perform a near three hour set and I was totally blown away. I urge you all to go see Ween if you can and not to pass up the chance to see an amazing show. I know a lot of TMBG fans also like Ween, and in fact I can't imagine anyone NOT liking Ween but this concert took the music to new heights. Dean and Gene performed with a large backing band (drummer, fiddle, piano, guitarist, steel pedal slide guitarist, bass player) as well as playing their own guitars. The sound of this band, tight as can be, was incredible. And they can actually sing live, and very well too. Gene especially has a beautiful voice. They are also notable for smoking, drinking beer and swigging Jack Daniels, often at the same time, on stage DURING songs. In this case the beer was Upper Canada lager, which is damn good beer. As Gene and Dean got drunker and drunker they got better and better, and I can't really explain this but it was truly worth seeing. My fave line of the night, when they broke into an impromptu version of Billy Joel's Piano Man: "Sing us a song, you're the piano man. Put some coke on my dick." I would like to stress that Gene and Dean and other members of the band were drinking beer and Jack Daniels simultaneously WHILE THEY WERE STILL PLAYING SONGS. Amazing. Show ended at 1.45. At 2.50 AM Alex and I were about to leave but we saw the bus backing up to the building and we went over to the bus. Luckily for us Dean appeared! He was smashed but he still shook our hands and signed autographs. Then Gene showed up! He was real nice and shook our hands and signed autographs as well. If you have Chocolate and Cheese, I got Gene and Dean to sign their names above the respective photos of them in the boat in the CD liner notes of the album. Supercool. Alex and I were the only people there waiting to see them by that time. It was worth it. Then I went home. Moral of the story: GO SEE WEEN. It was so damn cool I can't even describe it. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: time for you and time for me.... Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:07:47 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" As the observant among you might have guessed, this is "The Selfish Post" i.e. about me. So I do not fall into my habitual trap of entering tirade mode, I shall endevour to keep this short. I'm a 20 year old Australian (who desperately does not want to turn 21 in December -- havent figured out a way around that yet though). I live on a mountain in A city called Wollongong. I work full-time at a big nasty steel-making company called BHP as a trainee programmer/analyst. I also go to uni (Uni of Wollonong) part-time and sometimes study Info Tech, specialising in computer science. I want to get honours here, so then i can put the initials BITCH after my name (Bachelor of Information Technology & Communication with Honours). ahem. *rave mode aborted* The only, well one of the only, good things about working is that I get money. This I fritter away on various things. I enjoy scuba-diving (prefereably in wanrmer water than the 14 degrees last monday!); am very keen to go skydiving and bungee jumping again as well. Hopefully the skydiving will be done ina few weeks. I very much enjoy reading (plays and novels with the odd bit of poetry thrown in). Listening to music is another fave, prefereably live. Unfortuntaely I have not had this pleasure with tmbg (hopefully come Jan/Feb this situation will be remedied). I like to think that I in my own and smally insignificant way support local music down here (belive me you Americans don't know some of the stuff you're mssing out on! - Aussie music is divine!). Slightly out of place on my list of msuical tastes is hardcore techno, thats great at raves. I enjoy writing sometimes; I helped author a rather ridiculous publication called "nanoomineenoo" (any Red Dwarf fans know the origin of that word? one of my favourites), which had a very small distribution to say the least. I'm getting bored thining about myself now, so I'm going to stop. Oh yeah, I spend *way* too much time on the Internet, and have been told that i drink *way* too much Dr. Pepper. And I'm not even goignt o mention my Butterscotch Schnapps consumption level. One last thing: if you haven't guessed, I'm a shocker of a typist! finito! tamara. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||grimace||tryptophane||didIaskForFries?||IamNotYourBroom|| yublocka@tmbg.org "Testosterone overdose", grimly said the coroner, "He died like a man". -Nancy Vandal & the Popgun Assasins ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:06:42 -0700 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS David Simpson wrote: > > > > I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but doesn anyone like they > > > synth bells better on the DAS version than the woman singing the bell > > > sound on FS? I heard the DAS version first, and I just like that version > > > better, it makes me think of bells more than the singing- anyone else?I like it better to. And I have it on tape, along with the "People i love > > song or whatever. > Does the DAS version exist on any web pages? If so, what are the addresses? > > Dave SimpsonAs far as I know, no. I'm the only one I know of who has it. Kind of on the subject, does anyone know adresses of places with stuff other than "We Just Go Nuts....," "Ana Ng Live," The stormy Pinkness demo," "Why Does the sun shine? live," and Mr. Flippy's stuff? Jeremy J. Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:21:05 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: TMBG: Chicago listing Someone just pointed out that on the Boston charts, FS is #(i don't remember), well, FS in Chicago is #82. Go Chicago! Of course, 2Pac has 3 albums in the top 100--#22, #100, and #100 (a tie I guess). Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:19:47 -0700 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: triptophane JOHANNA JONES wrote: > > Okay, I might sound REALLY dumb but I have a question. I LONG time > ago, people were arguing a little about Triptophane and where it > appears and all that crap. As far as I understood, Trip. was a > Giants song, so why was it said that it was on the DWDTN ep? The > first time I ever heard it was on Dial-a-Song, and even in one of the > newsletters, They mentioned that for some time you were able to hear > it on DAS. Explain? Tryptophan (Ive worked in a genetics lab and it has no e!!) origionally appeared on the Hello Mono Puff disk [speled (hehehe) corectly] and was never an accual TMBG song, They just played it on D-A-S. Anyone out there live in Salt Lake County, UT Jeremy J. Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:10:50 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS >I'm the only one I know of who has it. Kind of on=20 >the subject, does anyone know adresses of places with stuff other than=20 >"We Just Go Nuts....," "Ana Ng Live," The stormy Pinkness demo," "Why=20 >Does the sun shine? live," and Mr. Flippy's stuff?=20 > > Jeremy J. Mathews > > and where can I get the ones mentioned above? are any on ftp.tmbg.org?? -- Evan Chakroff, Who Is Addicted To Retsyn=AE The Internet Mystery Spot :: SIG v2.1 :: O- . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 :: -><- "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:15:55 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: re:important/please read/sorry >well...please disregard it. (i don't think i'll post for a while now...)j. Please don't take anyone's disagreements against the letter as personal attack on you. We were just stating our opinion, you are free to state yours, too. Please don't let this action discourage you from adding to the general knowledge of wealth of discussions if you would like. We all appreciate every opinion (well at least most people, and most opinions). And Remember! Freedom of Speech is for you, too! SJL ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:11:54 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: triptophane >Tryptophan (Ive worked in a genetics lab and it has no e!!) origionally >appeared on the Hello Mono Puff disk [speled (hehehe) corectly] and was >never an accual TMBG song, They just played it on D-A-S. Anyone out There's this kind of nebulous coexistence of Mono Puff, Linnell, and TMBG on Dial-a-Song. I believe that the songs are simply written by one of the Johns first, and then destined toward one of the outlets. Witness Maine, which was presumably a DAS long before the State Songs project began. Also NYC, which was performed by Mono Puff before it was decided to be a TMBG song. Basically, nothing (not even song titles) is certain before a CD is pressed. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:22:20 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: who i is or who I am. Evan Chakroff High School Sophomore, 15 years old Born: April 22, 1981, Washington DC Raised: Arlington VA (Through Pre-school) / Westerville (Suburb of Columbus) OH (Thru now) Member of Westerville South Marching Band. Trombone/Baritone player. This year we''re playing Pink Floyd's The Wall (In The Flesh, Another Brick.., Goodbye Cruel world, Hey You/Comfortably Numb Medley, The Trial) We were 9th in the nation last year. I like TMBG, Phish, The Beatles, and a bunch of other bands that I only have one album of theirs and havent bothered to get another. I plan on figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my life as late as I possibly can. I like Monty Python, The Kids In The Hall, Computers, Money, The Internet, marching band, a bunch of other stuff. My TMBG Story: like 'em. fan for about 1.5 years, never been to a concert. Have all the albums and WDTSS, no singles yet. I would write more, but I'm tired and I've got homework to do. Oh, yeah, Secret ASCII Symbol Codes: -><- O- visit my web page. theres not much content and not many links, but it looks cool with Netscape 3 or IE 3. -- Evan Chakroff, Who Is Addicted To Retsyn=AE The Internet Mystery Spot :: SIG v2.1 :: O- . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 :: -><- "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: "Sean Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: MTV Review Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:39:49 -0400 I'd like to congratulate the guy who wrote this piece of crap. Here are my reasons: 1. He managed to spell *BOTH* John Linnell and John Flansburgh's names wrong. 2. He thought FS was the best TMBG album ever 3. It's from eMpTyV. Any questions? --Dawg ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: not posting Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:34:04 EDT thanks, but i didn't really mean it (i know tmbg fans are pretty accepting of different ideas :))...j. (that was in reply to sjl saying not to not post b/c of what i posted earlier about neonazi newsgroup thing)...btw, i'm listening to skankin pickle green album right now..it's putting me in a much better mood (too many probsets to do..) (and it really is the green album, not like tmbg pink album which is really/technically self-titled)..j. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG Subject Line From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:47:27 EDT From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: More chord stuff... Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:54:00 -0500 (CDT) > All right. I did NOT put TMBG in the subject line. Somehow these > messages are being routed through something that inserts that, and it's > really ridiculous. This is a TMBG mailing list, of course it's TMBG. > Duh. Yeah, but for those of us who get upwards of 100 messages a day, I think it's really nice to be able to just glance at the subject and tell if it's potentially important or not... I kinda like it! Well, instead of having all the messages sent to you one at a time, why not get the digested version? You get all the same messages, but in only one letter. Plus it lists all of the subjects at the top in the order they are printed. I have done it with all of my mailing lists. Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 00:21:51 -0700 From: jenn Subject: TMBG: looking for the older .wav halo all fellow TMBG fans, i'm looking for the older.wav out there. anyone love me enough to tell me where it is? (anyone? anyone?) jenn who is extremely tired! ____________________________________________________________________ The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:40:37 -0700 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff video Hey, did everyone here know that there's a Mono Puff video on mtv online? It's on the 120 minutes archive section. Trillian ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:33:00 CST Subject: TMBG: FT.Wayne I can't begin to tell you how I feel right now. THe Ft. Wayne show was one of the BEST and WORST times in my life. First, There were about five of us their, and when They came on, I was the only one in my section dancing along with my friend. Hootie fans SUCK like nothing else. I don't care who I offend, it's a fact. They playedin no particular order Instanbul Metal Detector Spy Birdhouse Why does the Sun Shine Pet Name NY City Until My Head Falls Off S.E.X.X.Y. and more, but I felt bad because I could tell they knew the audience was shitty. And I could tell you about my Linnel experience, but it would be too painful. The fact is, it was worth it. I spent about 50 bucks altogether to see this show including the gas money that I coughed up, but I would have done it anyway. But the Giants are suffering here. Electra has gotten a hold of them so tight. It really makes me sad. Flans announced them after every song, and at one point started yelling "PLEASE BUY OUR ALBUM! IT WILL CHANGE OUR LIVES FOREVER!" I felt bad, really even though it had that ever so brilliant charm that we all know and love. The Johns are playing in front of a band at least 10 years younger than them. (In existence I mean.) To a crowd of freaking 5 year olds. I'm not kidding, there were whole families there, it felt like that damn escapades. FUCK! They sat there like vegetables the entire time. But I got to see th Johns. They kicked ass, they always do. I just think there's something wrong going on. I wish I could do something to change it. I think they did this tour solely to spread the word. It serves the purpose in the way that DAS served its purpose in the very beginning. But do they need to do this? They've reached the level where they don't need to do this. That's why I think Electra is so evil. The Johns KNOW that we're here. I think they are pretty happy with the audience they've created. We're devoted, faithful, emotional, psychotic, obsessed fans, and it's wonderful. They know that I'm sure. BUt since there are only so many of us, we're not causing them to make the money that Electra wishes they would. This is just my theory. Please don't flame me, but what do you think? I think that's it. If not, I'll be back you know. ------------------------------ From: Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 0:23:41 CST Subject: TMBG: what did I just say? I told you I would return. Sorry I misspelled eleKtra. They're not that great anyway. I have a happy story. For at least the last year and a half, I've been trying to catch the little kids singing particle man and yesterday, I succeded. So happy. Oh yeah, How can I sing like a girl and James K. Polk were on the list as well. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-292 ******************************