Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-293 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 293 Saturday, 26 October 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: subject list TMBG: THEY MIGHT BE WITH XTC TMBG: Any Info on the Chicago Show? TMBG: RE:Freedom of speech and staying up late TMBG: FS Tour Bootlegs For Trade! TMBG: The Smurfs Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG content: Any Wiccans on this list??? TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Another page in Amy's travel log TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Oh yeah TMBG: Re: Cats and Buttered toast TMBG: Hootie tour and the Evil Elektra Re: TMBG: Metal Detector, KITH, FS is in the UK Re: TMBG: Question! and Re: KITH TMBG: Joke TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single TMBG: My TMBG collection TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... TMBG: PICTURES Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS Re: TMBG: TMBG Bootleg Re: TMBG: Metal Detector, KITH, FS is in the UK TMBG: Re: The Missing Haggis TMBG: The cranky bastard responds... Re: TMBG: Re: The Missing Haggis TMBG: Who am I TMBG: A TMBG CHRONICLE (VERY IMPORTANT) Re: TMBG: Re: The Missing Haggis Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single TMBG: Who am I? (24601!) TMBG: Hidden Song TMBG: 2 completly different subjects TMBG: Mr. Frank Black + MTDOYC TMBG: Who am I? TMBG: The Free Ft. Wayne Show Re: TMBG: Mr. Frank Black + MTDOYC Re: TMBG: 2 completly different subjects Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS TMBG: Re: Tiny Toons and Good Times Re: TMBG: 2 completly different subjects TMBG: Other Lists? Re: TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... TMBG: No cat food in this bank account Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: subject list Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 02:14:24 EDT I started out getting the digested version but I never read any of them unless I had alot of time, which is just about never...the list is easier to read because you get a little bit at a time and not a huge list of stuff all at once...wait, actually, i might not be understanding what you said..instead of getting all of the messages sent to you at one time why don't you just get the digested version? isn't that the digested version? i am very confused, it might be b/c i'm tired though....goodnight.j. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:27:24 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: THEY MIGHT BE WITH XTC I'm not sure but is anyone else aware of the XTC album featuring TMBG, I bought it today and it's pretty bloody good... Sorry if I'm ignorant... wait! No I'm not! It's a brilliant album! TMBG on an XTC album! An' I got it! +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 02:16:02 CST Subject: TMBG: Any Info on the Chicago Show? Does anyone have info on the November 26, Chicago, show? Where to get tickets? If they're still tagging along with Hootie? I'm interested in going but have absolutely no details. My internet access is out, so I'm tapping the best resource I know of. Please help! Hope to see you there! Mike ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 01:23:40 -0700 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: RE:Freedom of speech and staying up late I'm a freedom of speech fanatic but I'm too tired to go on about it. I really need to stop reading this list so late at night. I get the feeling like I'm the last person on the continent posting every night. The other night I took so long writing about Matt Coon's post that the listserver sent without me. Oh well. The perils of West Coast life...that and having World Series Games on so early that you miss them because you are still at work. Anyway...Let the hate people have their say. It'll give all of us normal people a good laugh. Herne ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: FS Tour Bootlegs For Trade! From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 03:59:58 EDT Hi folks! It's that time to put up some of my Factory Showroom tour audio bootlegs for trade. Here they are: 8/16/96 - Washington, D.C. - The 9:30 Club - 100min 9/19/96 - Hollywood, CA - The House of Blues - 90min - Master 9/23/96 - Charlottesville, VA - 90min 9/25/96 - New York City, NY - Mercury Lounge - 80min 9/28/96 - Providence, RI - Brown University - 100min To trade, I'm looking for other TMBG, Ben Folds Five, and Barenaked Ladies tapes, audio or video! Feel free to drop me a line! Larry "I used to rock and roll all night and party evurry day. Then it was every other day, then it was a half-hour a week...." - Homer Simpson ------------------------------ From: "J.Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 13:02:36 +0000 Subject: TMBG: The Smurfs mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James): The Smurfs are a bit of a piss-take band, They have released a load of high-pitched songs a long the lines of "I have a little puppy and so I must go... Poopa, Poopa Scoopa" as in Technohead (I wanna be a hippy) They did a cover of Saturday Night by Whigfield that was actually better!! Have fun all, this is the first time I've even seen this list, so I think its absolutly great! I'm merely an English Language Degree student in London by the way. Did you know there is virtually nothing to do with TMBGs over here? factory showroom isn't even going to be released untill late Jan 1997. Its sad. With love and sandwhiches, Jon __________________________ /This happy squirrel says: \ | Goodbye from | | j.vile@roehampton.ac.uk | \_______ ________________/ \ | \| |\__/| .~ ~. /o=o'`./ .' {o__, \ { / . . ) \ `-` '-' \ } .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _| ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:44:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG content: Any Wiccans on this list??? On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > Are there any Wiccans on this list. I've a couple of questions that I need > answers to, so if you could e-mail me, I would appreciate it very much... > Ah, interesting topic. Include me on the CC of this one, as, to be completely honest, the popular forms of spirituality really have no appeal to me. Druids, feel free to send me stuff too. :) Satanists... Well, I'm open minded. Send me crap too, just for the sake of giving all corners an equal opportunity. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:53:44 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Another page in Amy's travel log > I met Boba! > I Met AMY! I didn't have to do all the driving and stuff but it was really hard waiting for her to come. She is one of the very most insightful persons in the world. It was nice to look into someone's car and see the pink album on the floor. Normally that album is Pearl Jam's Ten, but in Amy's car it was not! I recommend that everyone who reads this should pogo to Ada, Ohio right now and visit her! We also called Mike Rose from Totonot which was in itself supercool, How was Ween boys? Thanks, Amy. Another Note: I recieved in the mail, a radio interview that was the same day as a concert in St. Louis at a place called Mississipi (K)nights. If anyone went to or knows the date of this show or the interview, that I spoke of, please educate me! Thanks, Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "I'm Not Done, And I Won't Be 'Till My Head Falls Off" - ThEy MiGhT bE gIaNtS boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, updated weekly: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:09:19 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Oh yeah > I recieved in the mail, a radio interview that was the same day as a > concert in St. Louis at a place called Mississipi (K)nights. > If anyone went to or knows the date of this show or the interview, > that I spoke of, please educate me! Thanks, Boba Out. > Oh yeah, it was also in Early 1996, sorry for the lack of info. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND: "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: Jonathan Mackie Subject: TMBG: Re: Cats and Buttered toast Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:18:46 +0100 (BST) If can interject and be *really* boring for a moment. There was an article on the TV news a while back about 6 months I think) about a scientist at some university in England who had actually constructed an entire study on "Why toast falls butter side down" (?!?!?!?!!?) he reckoned it was because we are the height we are (ie average of 5'6"- 6'2") in conjuction with the force of gravity, so butter always landed on the floor just as it completed 1 and one half turns, ie butter side down. The bloke said if, say, a breed of alien creatures were 12-15 feet tall, then their toast would almost always fall butter side up. It's good to know where all the government spending on education goes, when it's not going on military 'research' ---------------------- Mad Macs ua6jm@abdn.ac.uk "This could be the start of it all We all want the system to fall Get it right down on it's knees Cause we were born in the seventies!" bis - "teen-c power!" single 1995 ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Fri, 25 Oct 96 12:51:26 MDT Subject: TMBG: Hootie tour and the Evil Elektra I'm glad that TMBG are touring with Hootie! (Although I wouldn't pay the premium $$ to go to that show.) Hopefully I'll get to see them tour in Colorado during the next year. (Did I mention that the November 9th Boulder show was CANCELLED?) Since the MOR-ons who program radio playlists won't play TMBG music, this is an alternative way to spread the joy of TMBG around, and build a greater audience. P.S. I forgot to mention that I work as an Embedded Systems Programmer for adaptec, inc. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:22:55 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Metal Detector, KITH, FS is in the UK On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > Metal Detector: > > I just had an odd thought. Could the "metal" in Metal Detector be homonymous > with "mettle"? As in this guy has something to do that requires great > courage, he's searching for the mettle to do so? > Oh my god, that is so weird. I cam up with the same pun, but thought I was being dumb so I didn't post it (I'm terribly afraid of ridicule :))...how interesting. Now that I know I'm not the only one with a lean towards odd-word puns...but...anyway, as to why I think it's mettle as well, I always picture JL, when he says, "cause I've got something, to make you understand...", dressed in a kind of kooky suit, stretching out his hand towards the unseen visitor to show them what he's all about (mettle, or weird afficianado of detecting objects? You be the judge.). And now, with that little glimpse into my diseased mind (yes, these are really the things I think of. Its almost like a carnival! Whee!), I bid you adieu. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:33:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Question! and Re: KITH >Is it just me being deprived down here in Kentucky, or do >some of guys with these bios actually "sound cute"? I know, I >know...how do you sound cute? Beats me, I just know that it >can happen when you live in KY for extended periods of time. >Just curious as to whether it was just me that noticed this....I >know...it was. Sorry:) Well, I don't live in Kentucky, but I do agree with you. ;) >I seem to remember from this list the KITH has been >cancelled. Does anyone know when the last episode was >made? Haha ha! ;) You're on the 2nd season now. There's 5 seasons. Once you get to the ones that have opening credits with a black background and show super 8 clips--then start worrying. Of course, they could play repeats after then.. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:45:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: Joke Benjamin Hauck wrote: > PS--The Guitar - Flansburgh = A TOKEN back to Broolyn. > Do you understand??????? Ah, I get it! Take the song "The Guitar," remove Flans' vocals, and all you have left as far as lyrics is a parody of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," which was originally sung by the Tokens! -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:38:14 -0500 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single I just got a note in my Email from CDnow that the expected release date for S-E-X-X-Y single is now Novemb er 26. This is getting strange, does the single exist at all? Sorry about having to tell you guys that. Linda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:19:15 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: My TMBG collection Ahem... I, Lincoln Damen, currently own... of the TMBG persuasion... TMBG - Self Titled TMBG - Lincoln TMBG - Misc T TMBG - Istanbul (Not Constantinople) single TMBG - Flood TMBG - Apollo 18 TMBG - Why Does The Sun Shine? TMBG - Snail Shell single TMBG - John Henry TMBG - Live In New York CD TMBG - Factory Showroom MONOPUFF - The Devil Went Down To Newport single MONOPUFF - Unsupervised XTC - A Testimonial Dinner (featuring TMBG) I have 'The Guitar', "The Statue Got Me HIgh' and The TMBG video currently on order... and I'm plannig to get all their singles... but how good is the bloodly TMBG.COM order system? Plus, can anyone help me get the demo tape, I will pay!!!! Thanks Chaps! +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:22:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... Ok. This message was posted to MDM's small tmbg mailing list for IRC people, and I don't know if the person who posted it is planning on posting here or the newsgroup, but I am just too excited not to share it. He says TMBG will be on Conan O'Brian Nov. 6th!!! here it is: **************************************** From: JAMES Subject: [tmbg] Sanity crazy world. Like I have stated before I could destroy the world if I wanted to, but then again the world is where I keep all my stuff. The TMBG concert in Toledo Ohio on oct. 20th was truely awesome. After the show we ran around back and met some of the band. I shook Linnell's hand but he would not sign any autographs, Though Flansburgh came out much later (which I missed cause I left one friend in the audience and forgot about him , then went to check on him) And he signed my friends' shirts. Well hmmmm.... Be sure to watch Conan o'Brien on Nov.6th cause TMBG will be on it (one of the horn players told us to watch). Untill later remember that Nikmis rules!!! L8R NIKMIS :P **************************** Well, everybody get the VCRs ready assuming that is correct :) Also, I read the MTV review of FS, and I started thinking about all the descriptions TMBG has received from reviewers. It is hard to categorize the band, so we get terms like "bedroom-crafted nerd-pop". I was just wondering...if anybody has a bunch of TMBG reviews with terms like that...it might be fun to make a list of all the different terms used in describing TMBG's musical style...or it might be a stupid idea...I dunno :) Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html EFnet #TMBG Home Page ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: PICTURES Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:06:07 -0400 (EDT) For those of you who haven't noticed I'm trying to start a photo gallery at http://www.tmbg.org/photo/. If you have something to contribute please send me a note. You can attach a picture to it or upload it to ftp.tmbg.org:/incoming. Make sure you tell me who it's of, any links I should include in the text, and so on. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 18:20:13 -0700 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS Evan Chakroff wrote: > > >I'm the only one I know of who has it. Kind of on > >the subject, does anyone know adresses of places with stuff other than > >"We Just Go Nuts....," "Ana Ng Live," The stormy Pinkness demo," "Why > >Does the sun shine? live," and Mr. Flippy's stuff? > > > > Jeremy J. Mathews > > > > > and where can I get the ones mentioned above? are any on ftp.tmbg.org?? > -- The ftp. site (I don't remember its adress) and they also appear on various websites. Mr. Flippy's stuff is on (you guessed it!!) Mr. Flippy's Page. By the way, I went to Mr. Flippy's Page and couldn't find the new song Mike mentioned called ...err... it started with an R. Sincerly, Jeremy Mathews "You won't hear a buzz, but I'm buzzing you in. I'm buzzing you in."-TMBG "Concider the intelligence of the average man, then realize that half are more stupid"- Mark Twain ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Bootleg Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:07:16 -0500 (EST) Jeff Scanlon writes: > > Hey, I don't know that a bootleg discograpy exists, and I haven't seen > one on www.tmbg.org. I think it'd be a good idea to catalog all TMBG > boots that exist, I didn't see any responses to this (although I might have missed them in amongst all the Top 5 lists ;-) so I'll point out just such a guide at http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/tmbg/trade.html Be sure to check out the traders while you're there! ;-) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:04:22 +0100 From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: Metal Detector, KITH, FS is in the UK At 15:22 25/10/96 -0500, you wrote: >On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > >> Metal Detector: >> >> I just had an odd thought. Could the "metal" in Metal Detector be homonymous >> with "mettle"? As in this guy has something to do that requires great >> courage, he's searching for the mettle to do so? >> >Oh my god, that is so weird. I cam up with the same pun, but thought I >was being dumb so I didn't post it (I'm terribly afraid of ridicule >:))...how interesting. Now that I know I'm not the only one with a lean >towards odd-word puns...but...anyway, as to why I think it's mettle as >well, I always picture JL, when he says, "cause I've got something, to >make you understand...", dressed in a kind of kooky suit, stretching out >his hand towards the unseen visitor to show them what he's all about >(mettle, or weird afficianado of detecting objects? You be the judge.). YES!!!! But I would see that as the "end product" of finding the mettle. More of; "This is what I would want to say/do if only I could find the 'mettle' to say/do it". (People on this list who know me will understand exactly what I'm getting at here). I was thinking more along the lines of "something waiting there beneath the sand" and "... but everything on the top will just suddenly stop seeming interesting"....... 'My mettle detector.....'. As if there's a part of him that everyone sees/knows, but there's also a bit of him that is hidden beneath a fascade that you have to know to look for and he would rather that the "hidden" part wasn't so hidden and he's looking for the mettle to give people a pointer what is "waiting there beneath...." the surface..... Hmmmm! Have I just said more that I should have? Later Joe ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Re: The Missing Haggis Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:23:59 -0500 (EST) > > Hello m@t, I would've hoped you would've remembered me from about two years > back on this list. I remember your name, at least, and I'm afraid your > name is the only one I recognize from way on back. > > Jeff Chen? I didn't make the connection from your email address (alecson), but I do remember you:-) > Have so many people really gone by? > Many have gone, but many more have come! I think that some folks from the era you speak of are still around. I just saw a message from Anne Heideman (AKA Spider) the other day. Sadly, I think that very, very few are still around from the really early days, though... Anyway, I hope I didn't seem to misrepresent your message. I was just boot-strapping it to add some comments:-) I certainly agree that some intelligent discussion of a more positive nature would be very welcome right about now! > m@t, do you remember Haggis? :-) Know where she is? > Remember Haggis? I think I was married to her! Last I heard, she was still down under (of course), but lacking access to the list for some reason(?). m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:36:21 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: The cranky bastard responds... Herne writes: > >you crack me up. You even flame people you agree with. [...] >AND...since you flamed me on the most recent list...although it was a >minor flame...let me return the favor... You seem to be confused. Your response was a flame, but my original messages were not - unless you consider anything even remotely critical, even if positive, to be a flame. At any rate, I am somewhat puzzled by your intensely negative reaction. >I mean come on! You basically call me a jerk-off for defending Top 5 >Lists and then you go off and do your own wank about how things would be >if you ran the list. I have never, *ever* in the years I have participated here written anything about how things would be if I ran the list. (I have never used "wank" and "jerk-off" in the same sentence, either. Guess we know what's on your mind...;-) >If we all sat and wondered if everything we had to >say was "moderately substantive" to YOU then what would be the point? My qualitative opinion is not very important. If I don't like a topic, I know how to delete it from my mail spool. I was using the term substantive in a fairly objective way: to refer to the information content of Top 5 lists (which is very low). Rather, their TMBG information content is low. I pointed out that their mailing-list-member information level can be fairly high. I assume that everybody here joined to get TMBG information, and that relatively few joined to find out random list members' current favorite songs. >correct me if I'm wrong but last time I checked this list was about >singing the joys of TMBG and other vaguely related things and not about This list *is* about TMBG and all things related. I have been involved in my share of frivolous threads in my time here; I think they are fine, and often some of the more interesting things to be read here. You seem to misunderstand what I say. The potential problem I was speaking of occurs when a frivolous thread begins to develop a life of its own. The Top 5 subject recurs regularly and often, and is very high-volume. It adds no new insights, yet clogs up peoples' mail spools. This list produces many Gigabytes of transmission every week (as of late), and I suspect that a large percentage of that has recently been Top 5 lists. They dramatically push down the SNR. Even for those who are interested in the topic, it will become stale. When you see this thread recur nine or ten more times, I suspect that you will feel a little less warm and fuzzy about it (if you stay on the list that long...). >you pontificating about the "...need to be courteous about the listing >community at large." You obviously have no concerns about either courtesy or the community on this list, but I am interested in these. Many people are put off by massive floods of Top 5 mail. I have seen intelligent, interesting people with much to offer this list leave because of things like this, and others (including long-term listies) have told me that they are considering leaving as well. They just tire of having to wade through endlessly repetitive bouts of the same frivolous threads to try to find something with real TMBG content. I think that that is very sad. >Did you post a top 5 or a bottom 5 or a Best To Worst Album list? No, I have never participated in any of the "Top 5" threads. >I'd love to read it along with the detailed reasons behind the choices. Why? >If I have to wait for your Top 5 sub-page...then so be it. Given the lack of positive response to the Top 5 page idea, I doubt that it will happen. >It should also be noted that for many people it's >harder to write in depth about why they like something than why they >hate it...especially when it's as new as FS. Then maybe that's an indication that they should give the subject some more thought before they send their view out to hundreds of other people. They would probably learn a little bit if they took the time to think about why they like it. My personal opinion is that lengthy, detailed Top 5 lists would be no better than the present format. They would be worse: orders of magnitude more annoying, and more problematic for the reasons I have outlined. (They would still probably be more interesting on an individual basis, however, than "I like it just because" messages.) >While the idea of a TOP 5 Page has merit, I don't know if it would solve >the problem; although to me it isn't a problem to begin with. Again, what I say is a potential problem is not the the Top 5 messages themselves, but what they are part of. The problem is the confluence of a frivolous thread, frequent and cyclically repetitive recurrence, and high traffic and high volume output. >Top Five posts would probably just be replaced with "Did you read the >latest TOP 5 updates and what did you think?" posts... Sadly, you are probably right. Still, it would give us the opportunity to politely point out to all interested parties that there is a special forum just for them to discuss these things, away from the list. >Can never have too much information on TMBG related matters. But you really can have too much information about the personal tastes of hundreds of list members, many of who will likely not even be here a year or two from now. Especially when you get overdosed with it on a fairly frequent and regular basis. >In fact just give me a hug you cranky bastard! Sorry, I'm just not that kind of boy! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 21:46:09 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Missing Haggis >> Have so many people really gone by? > >Anne Heideman (AKA Spider) the other day. Sadly, I think that very, very >few are still around from the really early days, though... Very few. We lost a huge number during the transition from they-might-be to tmbg-list, as I witnessed firsthand when I was struggling with the artificial digest in the interim. >Remember Haggis? I think I was married to her! Last I heard, Wasn't darn near everyone on the list married to her at one point or another during that fiasco? *shudders in remembrance* Nostalgic for Kate & Kari, Jon -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:44:32 -0500 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: Who am I Hi, I am Linda (aka Crash). I'm 42 years old, but don't let that scare you. I'm not your mom and I'm not watching you, and even if I was, it would be with great pride, what more could a mom ask for then kids who were into TMBG and went to school or college, damn smart kids! I've been out of college for 19 years, been working in an office for almost 16 years typing reports for Probation/Parole, in other words I write about crime all day. I come home and enjoy tMBG and this list. I also enjoy Star trek and X-files and other shows I won't mention because they would make you puke! I've been a TMBG fan for five years or so, kept hearing Birdhouse in Your Soul on M-TV while following other obsessions, and it made me feel so high I had to go buy Lincoln and Flood, and loved Flood right away. At first my bbest friends didn't catch on, but after a few years they like them too and own almost all of their CDs. I can't really pick out favorite bands because between my husband and I, we own over 1,000 CDs, but some of my favorites are Frank Black, all TMBG, Mono Puff, Billy Joel, Elton John, Beatles, Smiths, Matthew Sweet, Pixies, Ramones, etc. I really love this list and don't let my age intimidate you. I will possibly share more about myself at a later date but will have to think about it. Linda, whose nobody's mama! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:07:21 +1000 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: A TMBG CHRONICLE (VERY IMPORTANT) WAIT! STOP! READ THIS! VERY IMPORTANT! Actually, this is very far from important but I had to get your attention so you wouldn't just skip this email like I skip many of yours... all I ask is for you to read on... Well now, since everyone else is introducing themselves... I want to as well! My name is Lincoln Damen, I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia... and no we don't all ride around on kangaroos and own pet koalas. As a matter of fact the last time I saw either of these creatures was 4 years ago and one of them was dead. Anyway, I've been a die-hard TMBG fan for 5 years now... My long-time friend played flood over an' over and I thought to myself... what shit is this? Little to my knowledge I was to become addicted to this... this... music. If you're ever in Brissy, you'll spot me 'cause I'm the 19 year-old with a neutral expression, neutral clothes, neutral hair, and a walkman. Which I constantly listen to as I feel my life needs a soundtrack. My life lately consists mainly of failing Uni, working in a shit hole, putting up with a shit of a family, and worrying that my girlfriend is cheating on me. I pray at night that that I am somehow the love child of both Flans and Linnell, I try to overlook the fact the this dream is both impossible and pretty gross to imagine. I still pretty new to this list... no need to expand on this point. Fav movies & TV: All Disney flics, Reservior Dogs, Groundhog Day, The Single Guy, Sliders, Rocko's Modern LIfe, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, etc... Fav pastimes: Television, videos, movies, lego, computer, phonecalls, sex & my girlfriend... (those last two are interconnected) Even though I love this list I'd like some decent email-pals so if you find yourselves remotely interested by me... you're an idiot! But I'd love to talk to ya anyway!!!! +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety, but don't worry about that" ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Missing Haggis Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:36:18 -0400 (EDT) > >> Have so many people really gone by? > > > >Anne Heideman (AKA Spider) the other day. Sadly, I think that very, very > >few are still around from the really early days, though... > > Very few. We lost a huge number during the transition from they-might-be to > tmbg-list, as I witnessed firsthand when I was struggling with the > artificial digest in the interim. > > > >Remember Haggis? I think I was married to her! Last I heard, > > Wasn't darn near everyone on the list married to her at one point or > another during that fiasco? *shudders in remembrance* > > Nostalgic for Kate & Kari, > Jon Or Frankenberry, cause he was 100% rubber!! > > -- > dios Matt > > -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 21:32:54 EDT On Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:38:14 -0500 "Linda Schultz" writes: >I just got a note in my Email from CDnow that the expected release date for >S-E-X-X-Y single is now Novemb er 26. This is getting strange, does the >single exist at all? Sorry about having to tell you guys that. I'm beginning to get the feeling that what's going is Elektra is going to wait till they shoot the video and maybe get some album sales off the Hootie crap... I believe they are going to shoot a video, now, after an interview I just read... CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 08:10:03 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Who am I? (24601!) Good Hello, When this thread first started, I thought I would hate it, but now it's kind of growing on me. So here's a short synopsis of Mr. Me: My name is Matt Bartush and I live in Sacramento, CA. I'm 24 years old as of last Sunday, and I'm married to the most wonderful woman on the planet (on one of our first dates I found out she knew about pre-Flood They Might Be Giants and fell instantly in love). I'm not a student, but I play one on TV. Actually, I'm taking a semester off college before I go back (so far my "semester off" has lasted about four years, but who's counting?). I work at an insurance company, and it truly doesn't get more boring than that. My main musical influences are They and Pink Floyd, but I also love Negativland, Frank Zappa, The Cure and Ludwig Van Beethoven. I'm a huge movie fan, although not quite in the league of Mike Rose. I do agree, however, with his assessment of Stanley Kubrick as the god of filmmaking. Other misc: I'm going to vote for Ralph Nader, I like mint chocolate chip ice cream, I think Uma Thurman is a goddess, Trainspotting is my favorite film of the year, I love to play with children and I'm probably more of a cat person than a dog person. I love to read, especially Robert Anton Wilson, and I like to listen to Tom Leykis on the radio. My pet peeves are dogma and people who eat loudly. Oh, and I usually group all of my thoughts into one huge paragraph. Thank you for listening, for those of you who did. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ From: BigJilm1@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 23:15:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Hidden Song Dear Very nice PeoPle, My name is Tim, and I was wondering if anybody else noticed the secret song before S-E-X-X-Y on Factory Showroom. Just rewind a little bit (about 52 seconds) and just let it play. It talks about a token back to Brooklyn.......... If you can get it to work, like I discovered it wwrite to me . Thanx HELLO, tim m. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:11:18 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: 2 completly different subjects Well, since I seem to have lost the post that I was going to quote from I will paraphrase and then comment on it. Blue Dawg( I think) wrote that he felt uncomfortable with adults on this list and that he felt as if his parents were watching. So to Blue Dawg and any one else that feels this way: I think I speak for other "adults" when I say PLEASE don't think like that! I joined this list with NO thought to what the ages of other listers might be! I am not a pervert or a *spy* for your parents. As Linda (Hi! another 42 year old female! Yah!)said, I don't judge you and would not have a negative judgement even if I did! You would never have known our ages if we had not given you that information. Doesn't that tell you something? Age is not soooo important when you have a common interest. Hey, have you had your parents listen to TMBG? MY parents like them! They are 65 and 70! I just heard of another whole family going to the L.A. concert together. I turned my kids on to Them- Not the other way around. I would hate to think that you younger people are censoring your comments because of us. I don't think you are!!! There are plenty of *older* fans, you just didn't know it! As for what to post and what not to post- PLEASE don't flame me for this!Its not to ANYONE in particular!!!- I am on several other lists and this same thing happens there too. Probably the most boring posts are the arguements about what should or should not be posted!!!! Since I have read a negative comment about almost every thread since I have been here, Let me ask---What are the proper subjects to write about on a TMBG list? So far it sounds like people are critisized for: opinions of FS or any other album, favorite songs, introductions, anything that you can look up on the FAQ, which John they like, etc. Gosh, whats left? I think anything related to Them should be fine but now I am starting to wonder! Lets hear it!!! P.S. The flames here are way lower than on any other list that I am on so I don't really mind them. I kind of enjoy them as long as they are not sent to me! Kathleen ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Mr. Frank Black + MTDOYC From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 23:08:42 EDT Well, Am I the only one who is amused by the fact that the good friend of the Giants, Frank Black, is the star of the new FOX drama/freakshow, Millenium? (ok, so he's not really on the show, but the male lead's character's name is Frank Black :P ) MTDOYC (Mark These Dates On Your Calendar): November 6, 1996 - TMBG on Conan O'Brian November 7, 1996 - TMBG on www.sonicnet.com November 26, 1996 - Supposed S-E-X-X-Y release date I take no credit for the gathering of these dates, but I thought I'd put this up as a reminder to all of you, thank me later after I forget them. CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 00:18:21 -0400 (EDT) From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: TMBG: Who am I? Wellsir, I guess I'll add to this, but mine won't be as long (no offense Mike). Yes, it is I, Brother JohnBejezus. A couple months ago Brother John Blackhawk started the Bro John movement. Just add a "Bother John" in front of your nick and you can be cool like me ;). Anyway, my real name is Dallas Verdugo. Verdugo is the spainish word for the guy who cuts people's heads off at execution :). I'm 16 years old, and I live in Charleston, SC. I too am going to film school and Mike and I have vowed that if one of us makes it, we'll help the other get into tha biz. My other musical interests are The Residents, pere ubu, Frank Black, The Palm Springs Yacht Club, and any kind of weird noise. I have three bands that never record and they are: "Maronis", "Kidz With Sqidz", and "Dog Face Dan and the Fantastic Six" mebbe I'll put some Maronis wavs on my crappy homepage which is at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip9677 It's got pics of me and nuthin else so have fun :) If you are on IRC come to #tmbg on telnet, come to blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu port 3000 and meet Mike, Rup, Matt James, Klaw, and all the rest of us cool fellas. Well that's about enough. Take a bite out of crime, Brother JohnBejezus "That's life, that's art." - David Thomas ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 00:29:59 -0400 From: John Leigh Subject: TMBG: The Free Ft. Wayne Show They did a free show in Ft. Wayne, at a cd store called the wooden nickel (it was the wooden nickel on crescent street, for anyone who knows Ft. Wayne.) It was a happy occasion for all who were there I think, especially me, because I and my friends got there way early and procured for ourselves an excellent place very near the non-stage upon which They were to play. I was about ten feet away from Flansburg, and perhaps fifteen or twenty from Linnel, who looked directly at me several times in the show (of course he looked directly at many people, as he seems wont to do when performing, but he looked at me too. Huzzah.) The show was just Linnel with his accordian, Flans with a guitar, and Brian with one drum and one cymbal. They started out by playing Older, and were, as usual, the coolest musicians I've ever seen in my life. At one point, Flans asked if anyone in the audience had ever seen Axl Rose driving around or anything (since Axl Rose come from Lafayette, IN, which, if my knowledge of Indiana geography isn't too far off, is pretty near Ft. Wayne.) A guy in the front row claimed to be a second cousin, and they talked about that while Flans tuned his guitar. Someone said something earlier about looking at Flans during NYC to find out just how seriously he takes the song. I examined his expression very closely, and am somewhat sad to report that he had a relatively earnest expression as he belted out the rather too-sincere lyrics (although his expression wasn't any more or less serious than during the other songs he sang, such as XTC vs. Adam Ant or HCISLAG.) Linnel looked almost disgruntled as he played the accordian during NYC. I saw at least two people with video cameras at the show. I didn't think to bring any sort of recording device or anything, since I only found out about the show the night before. Yes, so there it is. I convey my condolences to those of you who went to the Hootie concert and were unaware of the secret free set. If anyone from the list was there, I was the guy with rather long reddish hair in a ponytail, a small pseudo-beard, and a green and dark blue striped shirt. I was standing in the front, with my shaven-headed friend and a couple of other fairly nondescript college pals. I was looking around somewhat balefully, and pontificating pointlessly about various tmbg trivia things for the sake of my friends, who lack the time and inclination to read the list. When John and John came out, we suddenly realized that on every tmbg appearance we've seen, be it video, poster, concert, or whatever, Flans is always on the left, and Linnel is always on the right (as one looks at them.) Is there a reason for this, perhaps? John of goshen ____________________________ If I tried to make a clever signature, it would depress you. or at least it would depress me, and that's enough. johnml@goshen.edu. Or kill me. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 96 00:34 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Mr. Frank Black + MTDOYC > Am I the only one who is amused by the fact that the good friend >of the Giants, Frank Black, is the star of the new FOX drama/freakshow, >Millenium? (ok, so he's not really on the show, but the male lead's >character's name is Frank Black :P ) Yeah, I read somewhere that Chris Carter is a big fan of Frank Black, so he named this character after him. Nifty. I wonder if Chris likes TMBG... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: 2 completly different subjects Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 23:44:59 -0500 (EST) > Let me ask---What are the proper subjects to write about on a TMBG > list? So far it sounds like people are critisized for: opinions of FS or > any other album, favorite songs, introductions, anything that you can > look up on the FAQ, which John they like, etc. Gosh, whats left? > I think anything related to Them should be fine but now I am starting to > wonder! Lets hear it!!! Since I've been shooting my mouth off lately anyway... The beauty of this list is that anything TMBG-related is fair game. Don't expect anything you write to please everybody, but as long as it is intelligent and mature I'm sure it will be welcome. The only "forbidden" topics, then, are non-TMBG items, but in practice they have to be *REALLY* non-TMBG to upset people. (I personally enjoyed it when someone posted an article recently which mentioned Xenia, OH so briefly in passing that most people missed that TMBG link and got upset. It seemed perfectly appropriate to me...) Also forbidden: We decided long ago that political viewpoints are not appropriate (although most of the "we" I refer to are probably no longer here). Still, you've never seen a friendly mailing list turn nasty until you've introduced a political thread. So don't. (Besides, it probably won't be TMBG-related, anyway.) Discussion of things which are in the FAQ is encouraged. Asking basic questions which could be answered simply by reading that wonderfully informative document will almost certainly get you some terse responses, however, so you'll be taking your chances if you decide to go that route. Discussion of which John is preferable will not be encouraged by many members of the list (hopefully). These threads tend to be full of irrational personal bias (rather like political discussions) and tend to get ugly. (As an analog, I dare you to go to the MST3k newsgroup and ask whether Joel or Mike is better. I just dare you. But only if you are insured.) Speculation about the sexual orientations (or the vegetable preferences) of band members has not been kindly received in the past, either. And don't even mention grammar... m@t (That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 00:47:58 -0400 (EDT) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Ringing Bells- FS and DAS At 18:20 10/25/96 -0700, J Mathews wrote: >Flippy's Page. By the way, I went to Mr. Flippy's Page and couldn't find >the new song Mike mentioned called ...err... it started with an R. > > Sincerly, Jeremy Mathews The song is Reprehensible, and it can be found at http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/tmbg/sounds.html It's the very first sound clip on the page. Alex ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Re: Tiny Toons and Good Times Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 23:57:40 -0500 (EST) > > Also, I remember that stupid GOOD TIMES virus thingy going around a few > months ago and somebody posted the explanation of why its a hoax. If > that person could send it to me, I would appreciate it so I could send > it along to my non-digerati friends who keep e-mailing me about it and > send it to my school so they wouldn't keep reading the stupid letter in > the announcements in the morning. People don't believe me that its a > hoax. > > There is a nice FAQ, available basically all over the internet, which explains the hoax in detail. You might point your friends and school to the copy which the U.S. Department of Energy holds at: http://www.hr.doe.gov/goodtime.html m@t ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: 2 completly different subjects Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:18:33 -0400 (EDT) > (That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else) Here's where I step in m@t. Any discussion whatsoever of the Johns' religious beliefs will bring about crucifixion of your body and spirit by many members of the list. Public service message #110A Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Other Lists? From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:01:22 EDT Does anyone know of any other good E-mail Lists??? _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG please E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:01:22 EDT >Like I have stated before I could destroy the world if I >wanted to, but then again the world is where I keep all my stuff. you watch the tick to much. Otherwise you just watch comedy central a lot and you see the commersials all the time... SUZAN! (to all that have never seen the tick don't pay attention to the suzan remark) _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG please E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: No cat food in this bank account From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:34:15 EDT Okay, I have spent my $28 buying my "ticket for Hootie but not really for Hootie," as the lady at the box office said. Oh, yeah, and I am practicing my "John dancing" in my bedroom (where my cd-playing computer is) and creating the potential for tripping over something and injuring myself. Just thought I'd share that. See all you other Omahans (yeah, all one of you) at the concert! fdp@juno.com Tim Lloyd, Flying Dragon Productions Omaha, NE, USA "Who was at the DuPont pavilion? Why was the bench still warm? Who had been there?" -TMBG ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-293 ******************************