Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-294 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 294 Sunday, 27 October 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Concerts? Re: TMBG: 2 completly different subjects TMBG: Tour Dates?, Taste of DC, Favorites TMBG: TMBG on sonic net TMBG: Live in NYC Re: TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net TMBG:All about me! Re: TMBG: Hidden Song and TMBG: Mr. Frank Black TMBG: Update on updates... TMBG: An interview with Linnell TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-292 TMBG: Re: TMBG review from MTV (none) (none) TMBG: Info Club and Live in NYC Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net Re: TMBG: Hidden Son Re: TMBG: Hidden Son Re: TMBG: Hidden Son TMBG: Highway Sheild Shirt Re: TMBG: Hidden Song Insulting, etc TMBG: News letter Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net Re: TMBG: Hidden Song Insulting, etc Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net TMBG: TMBCoffee cartoon! Re: TMBG: TMBCoffee cartoon! TMBG: Re: Bootleg List and Tryptophane Re: TMBG: The Free Ft. Wayne Show TMBG: Ruprecht and flames-seperated at birth? TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... TMBG: TMBG-read this! very interesting!!! TMBG: Re: An interview with Linnell TMBG: I am happy! TMBG: Omaha show TMBG: Reprehensible.wav? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Concerts? From: thatoneguy2@juno.com (Kevin M Poe) Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:04:26 EDT HELLO! I'm new around here. I was wondering if anyone knew of any TMBG concerts coming anywhere near Miami, Oklahoma. I have never been to an actual TMBG concert, but have been looking for one for about 4 years now. I always hear about them about 2 days afterwards. If anyone could help me out, I would apriciate it very much. THANXALOT, thatoneguy2@juno.com (KEVIN) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: 2 completly different subjects From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:08:01 EDT On Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:11:18 -0700 Kathleen Jo Faulconer writes: >I joined this list with NO thought to what the ages of other >listers might be! I am not a pervert or a *spy* for your parents. As >Linda (Hi! another 42 year old female! Yah!)said, I don't judge you and >would not have a negative judgement even if I did! You would never have >known our ages if we had not given you that information. Doesn't that >tell you something? Age is not soooo important when you have a common >interest. Hey, have you had your parents listen to TMBG? First of all, if you truly believed that age was not important, you would not be going on and on about A) How you believe age is not important B) How happy you are that other people your age are on this list C) How old you are and everyone else is... Secondly, my parents have heard TMBG, my father likes to whistle their songs when my mother isn't around and my mother hates them. >Probably the most boring posts are >the arguements about what should or should not be posted!!!! So are you saying that negative posts should not be posted? >Since I >have read a negative comment about almost every thread since I have been >here, Let me ask---What are the proper subjects to write about on a TMBG >list? So far it sounds like people are critisized for: opinions of FS or >any other album, favorite songs, introductions, anything that you can >look up on the FAQ, which John they like, etc. Gosh, whats left? >I think anything related to Them should be fine but now I am starting to >wonder! Lets hear it!!! Well, if you must know, criticism is the very basis of discussion and without criticism *every* post on this list would be about people's Top 5's and their introduction. Picture this, the first post you read a given day starts like this: "Well, I just worked out what my Top 5 TMBG songs are today:" And the second post goes like this: "Yesterday in my re-introduction post I forgot these things:" But I guess some people would enjoy this sort of thing. Please, I beg you, give me a list of things that cannot be criticized and I will give you a list of things I will not criticize. ("but you know, sometimes I'm a liar") One last comment, I must know what is so wrong about being negative. Simply because it is some one's opinion that some one else's opinion is poorly based, the information they asked for could be found elsewhere easily, or they are wasting bandwidth on something completely unoriginal and uninteresting doesn't make the one in disagreement bad. (though in most cases people would agree that I am "bad") >P.S. The flames here are way lower than on any other list that I am on >so I don't really mind them. I kind of enjoy them as long as they are >not sent to me! Kathleen Oops. CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK ------------------------------ From: Lysee101@aol.com Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 05:03:32 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Tour Dates?, Taste of DC, Favorites Hey, I can't get access to the upcoming tour dates on the website through AOL. Could someone who gets it please post it here? I would really really appreciate it. I flew from Vegas to the Taste of DC show, and it was great! I had so much fun. The mosh pit was a little scary (especially during "ladies' choice"... Dig My Grave), but otherwise the crowd was the perfect level of enthusiasm. I really think the Johns were impressed with the way the "people in the front" knew the words to the FS songs (then only 5 days old)... which I am sure include people on this list! You go guys!! I really enjoyed the puppetheads during Excuisite Dead Guy, and it was great to see the gang again. I hope you all had fun! I can't really narrow my favorite songs down to five right now, but one would definitely be "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" off the pink album... it always makes me smile. And of course "Don't Let's Start".... a song that I first discovered almost ten years ago on MTV and searched out the cassette of the EP at a little independent alternative record store..... ah the good old days. As for the last three... there are just too many great choices! That's all from the Lost Wages... i mean Las Vegas.... for tonight. Make a little birdhouse in your soul.... Ilyse ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:29:45 +0100 (BST) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net Interesting to hear that something like that's going to be happening, but the big question (in my book at any rate) is what is 7PM in British time? Anybody like to work it out cause I really can't be bothered!! Douglas "Yes, but only if you breathe twice every hour" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 08:59:48 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Live in NYC Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but I have to know. How can I get the Live In New York CD? I haven't seen it in any stores. Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:26:30 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... At 01:01 AM 10/26/96 EDT, you wrote: >>Like I have stated before I could destroy the world if I >>wanted to, but then again the world is where I keep all my stuff. >you watch the tick to much. Otherwise you just watch comedy central a you did not just use "The Tick" and "too much" in the same sentence! There's no such thing! The Tick is the best cartoon comedy since The Critic or The Simpsons! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:04:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, D Robertson wrote: > the big question (in my book at any rate) is what is 7PM in British time? According to my calculations, it's 2AM. Have fun. RS ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG:All about me! Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:07:19 -0700 Hey now everbody, hey now everybody, hey now everybody now... Since everyone is introducing themselves I thought I would drop a little "hello" from me. My name is Charles and I live in sunny San Diego CA. I am 29 and I have listened to TMBG since I got the debut CD in 1987 in a used CD store after hearing a cool review in a record magazine. I have been an avid fan since then and they are one of a few select groups I buy everything I can find... some of the other groups I like are the Cure, XTC, New Order/Joy Division, Morrissey/the Smiths, and REM.. but I own over 600 CDs and they are very eclectic. I am recently divorced after a 3 year marriage, I totally converted my ex to TMBG, but does she care? No! I haven't seen TMBG live, but I've seen a bunch of other bands... one of these days I will get to see the Johns. I could say something mean-spirited about listening to high school kids talking about TMBG on this list, but I won't! Cuz I am a nice guy! Anyway, on TV I like to watch Seinfeld, the Simpsons, KITH (and just about everything on Comedy Central), and the Drew Carey Show. In terms of movies I like movies by the Cohen bros., Robert Altman, and Tim Burton. I like cats although I can't have a pet in my small apt. Cheese lovers unite! ~over and out~ Charles ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:28:01 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Song and TMBG: Mr. Frank Black >If you can get it to work, like I discovered it You and a zillion other people..mostly people who already knew about it before they got the cd... If I see one more "Did you know there's a secret track?" message, I'm going ot be sick...I'm sorry..I know I may be coming off as nasty, but there's gotta be other people who agree! Oh now I feel bad. :T > Am I the only one who is amused by the fact that the good >friend of the Giants, Frank Black, is the star of the new FOX >drama/freakshow, Millenium? (ok, so he's not really on the >show, but the male lead's character's name is Frank Black :P ) Heh, I saw that in the paper, and I thought it was just a coincidence! :D Hey, does anyone know if the tv show "Millenium" is a take off on the I-Have-Yet-To See Canadian movie "Millenium"? Probably not, but it was worth asking I guess..(Scott Thompson's in it as Buddy Cole, so I gotta see it!) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Update on updates... Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:30:24 -0400 (EDT) I'd like you all to see something amazing: Mailbox is '/var/spool/mail/bicknell' with 1 message (down from a mere 2384 two days ago) What this means to you is that lots of updates have been performed. I believe I have taken care of all of the alias updates that were in my mail box. I have updated the links area of the web site to include all of the personal links that were sent to us. I also answered a bunch of questions. Jon has kept the lyrics area up to date. I believe he's only a few days behind in interps now too, so those should be coming soon. That leaves one major area, the Chords. I have here a bunch of unformatted / partial chords. Unfortunately at the moment I am also without instrument, so it's hard for me to verify them / format them right. This is where you can help. If you'd like to take these snippets and turn them into formatted chords (just an ASCII text file that looks like those on the web site) I'll get them up ASAP. Otherwise it will have to wait until one of us can spend some time with an instrument formatting them. Enjoy. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: An interview with Linnell Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 13:07:42 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hello peoples, You would not believe what just happened to me. At 11:00 CST, Mr. John Linnell (member of the little band They Might Be Giants, ever hear of them?) called me. Somehow, the paper I work for got an interview with him and they knew that I wanted to do it, so they had him call me. Some interesting things he said(paraphrasing because I don't have the tape or the notes with me): - "S-E-X-X-Y" really is about "getting it on" but when I asked about the transexual/transvestite stuff, he said that there were elements of that creeping in -They will be on Conan (but he didn't say a date) -Hootie asked Them to perform and they said yes. They viewed it as a way to get their music out to more people. The crowds have been generally good at Hootie shows, except for the one show where the crowd started chanting "Hootie, Hootie..." in the middle of their set -The Hello CD Club might be closing up shop. (Since this is Flans thing, he wasn't sure, but it sounded like it was going to happen) -He was quite impressed with some of the interps that people had for their songs and wished that They had them in mind when They wrote the songs. -He loves Madison -He said that he will try to get me back stage passes to their show in Madison, but can't gaurantee anything, but said that if I call their management company, I will probably get some for one of their other shows -More stuff that I can't remember right now John was really cool the whole time and we talked about some things not strictly Giant (for instance, when I said I was going to be programming for the rest of the day, he asked what I had to do). This ended up making what would have been a hellish day into a great day. I talked with John for about 40 minutes and got the whole thing on tape (well, except for where he said who he was and that he was with They Might Be Giants, should have started the tape player sooner). If people want, I can post the transcription when I get done with it (about a day or two). Also, if someone wants a copy of the interview on tape, let me know. I wouldn't mind trading for some shows (since I have none). Let me know. That's it for now. Bye! Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy "Shut up sucka!" - Mr. T ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:41:17 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-292 ANAGRAM! Thought that would get your attention. Here's a TMBG anagram that sort of has to do with/answers the inquisitive of the band's name itself. To wit: They might be giants....? The big gent is a myth. Hope you like it. Cory ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:52:38 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG review from MTV BlueDawg: 1.Yes, it's an oversight that the MTV reviewer got both of their names misspelled. But how many times (not to put anyone down) have we seen people on this post do the same thing? Or not know how to pronounce their names? It's a human mistake. (Unlike the CMJ reviewer, who got the *lyrics* wrong.) 2.He never said it was the best album ever, though he did posit it might be *Their* best. Not saying I agree with this, but he makes several good points about the album. 3.The fact that he's from "eMpTyV" AND gave a great review of ANY TMBG album shows that not all MTV lackies are 2Pac-ed-, Hootied-, and Alanised-out, but do have a shred of good taste in them. No questions. Thanks, Cory ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 15:49:14 -0400 From: Daniel Studnicky ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 15:47:44 -0400 From: Daniel Studnicky ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 17:16:25 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Info Club and Live in NYC So, I think that someone said that when ordering stuff from the info club, it arrives within 6-8 weeks. Is this right? Also, just in case I didn't ask this before, where can I get The Live in NYC CD? Is this on the John Henry Australian Double CD Thing? What is the difference between John Henry in the U.S. and John Henry in Australia? Please give me details. Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 18:59:34 -0400 (EDT) > On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, D Robertson wrote: > > the big question (in my book at any rate) is what is 7PM in British time? > > According to my calculations, it's 2AM. Have fun. If you are talking Mountain Time Zone (ie Colorado and such ) then 7PM Mountain Time is 2AM British Time. If it's goin on in NYC then 7PM Eastern Time is 12 Midnight British Time. If it's out in Califnoria you are screwed cause it'd be 3AM there! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Son Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:04:13 -0400 (EDT) > >If you can get it to work, like I discovered it > > You and a zillion other people..mostly people who already knew about it > before they got the cd... > If I see one more "Did you know there's a secret track?" message, I'm going > ot be sick...I'm sorry..I know I may be coming off as nasty, but there's > gotta be other people who agree! Oh now I feel bad. :T Methinks anyone who says that they discovered the hidden track at this point and claims ownership of finding it (not that it really matters) is just trying to tell a joke, get us riled up, and whatnot. Most likely they know that it exists but they're just tryin to bring attention to themselves. I just let these messages role by and delete them as it is easy to ignore them. Self-control stops flaming (unless it hits ya right in the heart), I want to join the campaign against flaming! 8-) Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Son From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:25:30 EDT On Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:04:13 -0400 (EDT) mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >Self-control stops flaming (unless it hits ya >right in the heart), I want to join the campaign against flaming! 8-) Yes, but where does that leave those of us with no self control? I was looking I was looking for something I was meant to be looking for something I was meant to be carefully looking for something I was meant to be carefully and considerately looking for something (c) 1996 Michael Langdon Poetry, if you could call it that ;) CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:42:57 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Son >easy to ignore them. Self-control stops flaming (unless it hits ya >right in the heart), I want to join the campaign against flaming! 8-) >Matt alright! The next time a flame is posted, everbody flame the person who did the flaming (oh wait... that doesn't work out so well...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:06:31 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Highway Sheild Shirt The Highway Sheild Shirt pictured on the web site and the one in the Info CLub Newsletter are different designs. If I were to order it (As a very well might), which one would be sent? And, does the the 2040 World Tour Shirt have fake tour dates on the back (As I heard somewhere...) or nothing?? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:52:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Song Insulting, etc NOTE: This message is not directly related to TMBG themselves. You may want to skip it if you're planning on getting frothy-mouthed and maniacal because it's not totally informational. I'm not so sure these people are actually trying to annoy us. I think it's more likely that these people just don't read the list often (for whatever reason. Maybe they just subscribed. Whatever, maybe they're just inobservant). Whatever the reason is, it's pretty clear that we shouldn't flame them. How would you feel if you found out there was a hidden track, and hadn't heard about it before? You'd probably think 'should I tell the list? Yeah, what if no one else knows about it?' And then, after you tell everyone, trying to do something nice, everyone yells at you. 'Hey, you big as*hole! Quit trying to do nice stuff for us!' Real good attitude there. Yes, I realize we're all trying to cut down on junk mail to the list, and that's good. However, we should think about how we're affecting people. Doing bad things in the name of trying to reduce unrelated material, when that's not actually what you're doing, is... well, I think you know what I'm trying to say here. Semi-UNRELATEDLY: Next, a message to Ruprecht, and BlueDawg. Not that they're the only ones doing this, but they seem to almost advocate it. When you're discussing something, I assume you're trying to convince others that do not share your viewpoint to change so that they do share your viewpoint. Otherwise, I don't know why you're talking, since no one really wants to hear your ideas just for the sake of hearing them. If this is not the case, my argument doesn't really have a good base to stand on. Assuming what I just assumed, however, you will not convince people by insulting them and trying to incite voilent and defensive reactions. Some of the things you say (this is mostly directed towards Ruprecht) really are purposely inflammatory. If you're not doing it on purpose, watch what you say, and see if it's inflammatory before you say it. No one will listen to what you say if you're being inflammatory. Being negative, in itself, is quite alright. If you don't like a song or whatever, that's fine. Negativity, pessimism, whatever, is fine. You can convince (some) people that bad stuff is going on. You can even have people just say, 'Hmmm... Interesting idea. I don't agree with him, but I respect his opinion nonetheless.' People can just listen to your ideas, in this case, even if you don't convince them. People, however, will do neither if you say 'If you don't see this, you don't possess even a modicum of intelligence. What are you on?' All this causes are comments saying 'You %*&!! What are _you_ on you $)*## $*@$#&** !!!!' Was this your intent? If not, you should probably consider attempting to explain things in a less inflammatory manner. If so...... I know where you live. :) If you choose to continue purposely annoying people (or at least doing it accidentally because you didn't try to avoid it hard enough)... we'll all be annoyed, but we'll be powerless to stop you. Again, this is mostly to Ruprecht, because I've noticed he does it more often than most people (altho I haven't been paying really close attention, he might have changed, I'll admit I'm wrong if I notice he's changed or he says something... sends me death threats, bribes or something...) I just didn't want to seem like I hated him (I don't), so I put BlueDawg in there too. :) Of course, me telling you this probably destroys any integrity I had, but... Have fun, but not too much, kids. RS ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 18:02:54 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: TMBG: News letter Hey there, I have yet to get my newsletter. Do you think it has anything to do with me being on the West Coast? --- "Why was the bench still warm? Who had been there?" -Ana Ng, Lincoln, TMBG Colin (spud) Ferm spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net www.hooked.net/~spud/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:14:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net >> According to my calculations, it's 2AM. Have fun. >If you are talking Mountain Time Zone (ie Colorado and such ) then 7PM >Mountain Time is 2AM British Time. If it's goin on in NYC then 7PM >Eastern Time is 12 Midnight British Time. If it's out in Califnoria you >are screwed cause it'd be 3AM there! >Matt Ummmm.... just a word for Californians (and for that matter, Washingtonians and Oregonians {are those words?}). It would actually be 4 pm PST if it's 7 New York time. But it doesn't matter because it's not live anyway, is it? The time zones are like this for the U.S.: 4 5 6 7 PST Mtn. Cntrl. EST -Kilroy "I'm beyond men." -Winona Ryder, in "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:15:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net > If you are talking Mountain Time Zone (ie Colorado and such ) then 7PM > Mountain Time is 2AM British Time. If it's goin on in NYC then 7PM > Eastern Time is 12 Midnight British Time. If it's out in Califnoria you > are screwed cause it'd be 3AM there! Yes, yes, he is correct. I had my program set for the wrong timezone, sorry. Luckily, times are usually in EST, I think, so it's probably 12. You can at least know this: 12 Midnight is the earliest it will come on. 3 is the latest. RS ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Song Insulting, etc From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:57:49 EDT On Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:52:13 -0400 (EDT) Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> writes: >NOTE: This message is not directly related to TMBG themselves. You may >want to skip it if you're planning on getting frothy-mouthed and maniacal >because it's not totally informational. Were you hoping perhaps that I wouldn't read this? Not a chance. >Semi-UNRELATEDLY: > Next, a message to Ruprecht, and BlueDawg. Not that they're the >only ones doing this, but they seem to almost advocate it. Since when have I been lumped together with BlueDawg? I want to speak to my lawyer! >When you're >discussing something, I assume you're trying to convince others that do >not share your viewpoint to change so that they do share your viewpoint. >Otherwise, I don't know why you're talking, since no one really wants to >hear your ideas just for the sake of hearing them. When I am expressing an opinion, I am expressing it purely because it must be expressed. It does not have to be seen by anyone. People can automatically skip and delete all messages from me, for all I care. I would hope that people are not so easily swayed to think differently simply on the basis of an electronic transmission. At the same time, however, I am quite glad about my ability to sway the minds of men (as in, mankind, for all those PC) simply by typing out my thoughts. >If this is not the >case, my argument doesn't really have a good base to stand on. Assuming >what I just assumed, however, you will not convince people by insulting >them and trying to incite voilent and defensive reactions. Some of the >things you say (this is mostly directed towards Ruprecht) really are >purposely inflammatory. The things I say are not inflammatory, rather, in general, people are generally inflamed. It is not my fault that people are angered so easily just by simple writing on the wall. I have _never_ directly insulted anyone via the list. I have on occasion said "I cannot see how some one could like " or "I cannot see how some one could not like ," however, that in no way suggests that such a person is moronic or foolish. It simply means that I do not understand why people like a song, which is understandable as I do not possess telepathic powers (officially). If I say that I don't understand why some one likes a song, that does not mean that they must send a message in all caps that says "I can't believe you don't like that song, I love that song." I would hope that people would take that opportunity to enlighten me as to what the brilliance of said song is, or conversely, as to why they hate it. I find it to be only proof of my arguments when an unintelligent reply, containing no supporting information, lands in my mail box. >If you're not doing it on purpose, watch what you >say, and see if it's inflammatory before you say it. No one will listen to >what you say if you're being inflammatory. They will not listen, but perhaps they will hear. >Being negative, in itself, is >quite alright. If you don't like a song or whatever, that's fine. >Negativity, pessimism, whatever, is fine. You can convince (some) people >that bad stuff is going on. You can even have people just say, 'Hmmm... >Interesting idea. I don't agree with him, but I respect his opinion >nonetheless.' I would hope at the same time I could say the same thing of others, but at present I regularly (with a few exceptions) cannot. >People can just listen to your ideas, in this case, even if >you don't convince them. People, however, will do neither if you say 'If >you don't see this, you don't possess even a modicum of intelligence. What >are you on?' All this causes are comments saying 'You %*&!! What are _you_ >on you $)*## $*@$#&** !!!!' I will admit that I once said "Please, I must know, where do you get your crack," although it was entirely in jest. However, I have never said 'If you don't see this, you don't possess even a modicum of intelligence. What are you on?' or anything noticeably similar. I repeat, I have never, aside from the admitted one, insulted a member of this list _directly_ by way of this list. Yes, some of my comments have been found insulting by some, but never have they been an intentional, person insult directed at any one person. You will also note that I have never posted a page or so telling some one how they should mend their ways. I have never you referred to you, or any other person directly, Mr. Staib, until now. >Was this your intent? If not, you should >probably consider attempting to explain things in a less inflammatory >manner. See above. >If so...... I know where you live. :) If you choose to continue >purposely annoying people (or at least doing it accidentally because you >didn't try to avoid it hard enough)... Please, tell me when I have purposely annoyed people. If you can cite an incident where I have done anything other than present my opinions in anything other than a clear and rational manner, please do so. You would find, if you did have a large folder full of mail from me, that my e-mails are quite regularly well thought out as well as occasionally proof read and spell checked. >we'll all be annoyed, but we'll be >powerless to stop you. This is the internet, and here, in truth, knowledge is power. >Again, this is mostly to Ruprecht, because I've >noticed he does it more often than most people (altho I haven't been >paying really close attention, he might have changed, I'll admit I'm wrong >if I notice he's changed or he says something... sends me death threats, >bribes or something...) Was there even a moment where it was believed that I wouldn't say anything? >I just didn't want to seem like I hated him (I >don't), so I put BlueDawg in there too. :) I assume (from this statement) that you have some level of respect for me, which generally annihilates your arguments. You've said that people will not respect me if I am inflammatory, but you have proven otherwise. >Of course, me telling you this >probably destroys any integrity I had, but... Have fun, but not too much, >kids. Yes, yes. I would like to add that this is the very last mail that the tmbg-list will see from superuprecht@juno.com, though I can still be reached here. CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:16:41 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net PST if it's 7 New York time. But it doesn't matter because it's not live anyway, is it? > The time zones are like this for the U.S.: >4 5 6 7 >PST Mtn. Cntrl. EST >-Kilroy >"I'm beyond men." >-Winona Ryder, in "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" Of course it's live!!! How would an interactive IRC chat session NOT be live?!?! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:28:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBCoffee cartoon! I just made a coffee java script for my page! :) And it's *the* TMBG cup. Here's the address for the image itself: http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/coffee.gif And yes, you all have my permission to steal it! :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "A kiss and a hug and a couple of fucks; being in love really sucks." - Meryn Cadell ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:52:27 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBCoffee cartoon! Since someone else is discussing their animated gifs, I'll add a plug for mine too. Check out the two new animated TMBG morfing gifs I made for my ftp/website at: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ============================================================= Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ============================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:55:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Re: Bootleg List and Tryptophane >Hey, I don't know that a bootleg discograpy exists, and I haven't seen >one on www.tmbg.org. I think it'd be a good idea to catalog all TMBG >boots that exist, and as long as one doesn't exist, I want to compile >it. If people are interested, then send me any TMBG bootleg lists you >have, or a web address, if you haven't already. Soem of you out there who >are experienced TMBG traders and willing to help some (eg, shows that >have multiple boots, what's on boots, etc) please email me. thanks Well, what exactly do you mean here? Only one TMBG "bootleg" has ever been made -- Dr. Spock's Backup Band. Everything else is just hand-dubbed and distributed, or else taped from the radio. Now, if you mean a list of all know TMBG *live performaces* and their setlists, that would be different...I could help you out *a little* with that. >Okay, I might sound REALLY dumb but I have a question. I LONG time >ago, people were arguing a little about Triptophane and where it >appears and all that crap. As far as I understood, Trip. was a >Giants song, so why was it said that it was on the DWDTN ep? The >first time I ever heard it was on Dial-a-Song, and even in one of the >newsletters, They mentioned that for some time you were able to hear >it on DAS. Explain? Okay. First off, both Johns have been playing their solo material on DAS for a while now -- all of Mono Puff and John Linnell's "Maine" have been on DAS at times, although I don't know how many of them were played *before* they were originally released (wait, no. Maine was a DAS before it was a State Song.) Anyway, only one recording of Tryptophane has ever surfaced; the DAS, Mono Puff EP, and DWDTN EP versions are all identical. So, my guess is just that Flansburgh liked it and threw it on DAS; it was probably never actually a "TMBG" song. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:13:39 -0500 (CDT) From: "James @ MU" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Free Ft. Wayne Show On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, John Leigh wrote: > They did a free show in Ft. Wayne, at a cd store called the wooden nickel <> They're doing a free show in Columbia Monday. It's at the Streetside here. Any info on why so many freeshows??? ************************************************************************ *James @ MU, one of the many TMBG fans who think it's OK to change, but* *just doesn't really want to put up with Hootie OR his stupid blowfish.* ************************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:10:51 -0700 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: Ruprecht and flames-seperated at birth? OK, Since Ruprecht has missed all my points and chose to send his flame publicly I will return the favor. Though I think Ryan has put it better than I would have anyway. Also maybe Ike has left the list as his last post implied(?) I hope not! Here Goes: Ike L. Ruprecht wrote: > First of all, if you truly believed that age was not important, > you would not be going on and on about A) How you believe age is not > important B) How happy you are that other people your age are on this > list C) How old you are and everyone else is... > Secondly, my parents have heard TMBG, my father likes to whistle > their songs when my mother isn't around and my mother hates them. I was not "going on and on" about anything! I was writing on the subject of age so AGE was the topic! I simply said that when I joined the list I did not know or care about the ages of people on the list. As far as I know there is no age limit on any list. I responded to a sad post from a lister that was uncomfortable with knowing that there were older people on the list. I was just trying to make him feel better. NO reason to flame me for that! I am glad that there are people my age here and you should be too! I am sorry about your parents though ;-) > >Probably the most boring posts are > >the arguements about what should or should not be posted!!!! > > So are you saying that negative posts should not be posted? Again, you missed the point entirely! What I meant was that if all the posts are " I hate deleting 100 posts about _____ (fill in the blank) cant we talk about something else?" nobody would want to write anything and then you would have NO posts to delete! YOU (Ike) are way to confrontational to want THAT! I think negative posts are good but not insults towards innocent questions by people that you deem unworthy of a serious answer! DEBATE is the word you may want to use for an intelligent disagreement.....Those are always enjoyable! > Please, I beg you, give me a list of things that cannot be > criticized and I will give you a list of things I will not criticize. > ("but you know, sometimes I'm a liar") > One last comment, I must know what is so wrong about being > negative. Simply because it is some one's opinion that some one else's > opinion is poorly based, the information they asked for could be found > elsewhere easily, or they are wasting bandwidth on something completely > unoriginal and uninteresting doesn't make the one in disagreement bad. > (though in most cases people would agree that I am "bad") Why do you go on and on about how bad and mean you are? There are much more vicious people on my shetland sheepdog list! :) I will not give you a list of things that cannot be criticized. You don't need one, just use common sense and compassion for the lesser mortals that you constantly come in contact with. Are you sure you are not my brother ? He also believes that he is Son Of God. Again I will say that there is a difference between a "disagreement of opinion" and belittling people for being uninteresting (to you)or a "waste of bandwidth". I know that you know that. That is why I am not getting my feelings hurt. You want me (and others) to react. If you want to be respected and admired- you can be. All you have to do is show your wisdom. TRY it! Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:27:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... I dunno, I am not the kind of person who would actually do this, altho...who knows, I really like the idea. I was thinking, anybody two friends out there who love TMBG, why not go as John and John for Halloween. I think it would be a lot of fun. One person carries an accordian and the other a weird shaped guitar maybe... Linnell could also carry a cup of coffee maybe. I guess most people would have no idea who you are trying to be, but wouldn't it be cool if somebody did know!?!? Anyway, most likely I won't do it, but maybe somebody out there in TMBG land will :) Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html EFnet #TMBG Home Page ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:31:31 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG-read this! very interesting!!! well, i lied. this is my ME essay. read it if ya want. here you go. jordan cooper 10/26/96 9E1 JHS 190 ME: who am i? my name is Jordan Cooper. i am 13 yrs old,b-day is nov.24. i am a wigged out daddy with bread on top. i am in the "second deepest pit in hell", 9th grade. it sucks. a lot. and no,im not stupid or anything, i get average grades,i just hate my teachers,and the school in general. NO ONE is a tmbg fan there,or knows who they are. only 2-5 people heard them on tiny toons. well,more about me---- i call dial a song every hour,since im in the 718 zone,and its virtually free. yes,im bragging. my cousin has met tmbg,because they played with the band she manages. i am filled with jeolosy. i skateboard. i think im the only one on this list that does. if not,e-mail me. i am not so good though. the best thing i can do on a skateboard is olly while moving not so fast. i get very upset that my friend is always 5 steps ahead of me in skateboarding tricks. today i was trying to learn how to olly onto a curb,but i got more upset. i have every tmbg album,wdtss,back to skull,mono puff, mono puff single,live in ny,a really bad copy of power of dial a song. and i ordered singles from the catalog. does anyone know how long it takes? tell me. NOW! i have a pet bird,a cockatiel. shes soooo cute. her names BOB. dont ask. my favorite tv shows--- kids in the hall the simpsons seinfeld duckman dr.katz the tick the critic the OLD ren and stimpy, before the creator got fired from nickelodeon beavis and butthead the x-files. millenium THE MAXX. alright,thats about it. my favorite comic is THE MAXX. please try it out. it is not a typical comic. not at all. id explain it to you,but its kind of confusing. its just basically like...each person has an OUTBACK, which is your subconsious mind,full of pushed down child hood memories.most painful. and um,oh forget it. all im saying is take a peek. its genious. ok, one last thing. i have 2 major enemies in my life. jordan koshes allen benatar they are evil. they have aol. watch out. oh yeah,and after every letter i will try to include a quote from my friend hansel.hes hilarious. well bye "i dont have multiple personality disorder,but there are many people in my head fighting for control" -----hansel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:53:45 -0500 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: An interview with Linnell Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: > > -He loves Madison > -He said that he will try to get me back stage passes to their show > in Madison, but can't gaurantee anything, but said that if I call their > management company, I will probably get some for one of their other shows > -More stuff that I can't remember right now > Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant > kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor > kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant > http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy > "Shut up sucka!" - Mr. T When are They in Madison? Simon Koch Rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:10:27 -0500 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: I am happy! My life has suddenly become wonderful! After not hearing TMBG for at least 2 months, I blew a big wad of cash on some TMBG CD's and they're coming to my area! Sorry this is frivolous, but thisd is like a major awakening in my life! Simon Koch Rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Omaha show From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 01:52:43 EDT Okay, if anyone cares, here's my review of Their show in Omaha 10/26: Songs (somewhat in order): Istanbul - pretty groovy show opener Metal Detector - awesome, intro'd with an FS promo Pet Name - groovy TMHFO - Probably Their most energetic song Spy w/groovy jam at end - Really awesome. That curly-haired dude from Hootie came out to play his electric ukelele or whatever the monkey it was along with the 2-person horn section. Linnell conducted the other seven players in a two or three minute groovy ending. Then later, Hootie copied that conductor ending (I think, I was sitting in the hallway with other TMBG fans). James K. Polk - "This is a song about a president." Birdhouse - I got up and danced to this one. By this time, I had sneaked into the front row and was dancing and annoying the hell out of the security guards. NYC - during this, the security guards kicked all the TMBG fans out of the space in front of the front row of chairs. So I slowly moved back down the aisle, dancing all the way. S-E-X-X-Y - This was intro'd with the third promo for FS. Flans said it was a song about "gettin' it on." That's all. They said "We're still They Might Be Giants, and we'll be back." Then they never did an encore. I was somewhat confused, as the red accordian was on stage next to the keyboard, opposite the sax, but it was never played. Hopefully They'll return on their world tour. I'm going to try to see Them in Kansas City in November. Maybe They'll play Stump The Band. I waited outside for a while after the show, chatting with the other eight die-hard TMBG fans I found. Then we realized that their van was gone, and we wouldn't get to talk with Them. My friend Megan wrote a message to them on the back of one of the FS promo flyers, and we think it got back to Them. I don't know why They didn't come out. I mean, she offered to buy them fruit. Jeez. Oh, well. The concert was groovy, but none of the Hootie fans appreciated them, I don't think. fdp@juno.com Tim Lloyd, Flying Dragon Productions Omaha, NE, USA "You only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you." -TMBG "But I've got something to make you understand, something hidden there, beneath the land." ------------------------------ From: bnjljy@ix.netcom.com Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:05:53 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Reprehensible.wav? I know someone posted that they had Reprehensible.wav on their homepage? What page? BTW, sorry this post doesn't have much to do with TMBG and the interest of the group, so here is something about TMBG I'm going to the 11-30 concert in my hometown, Mil., WI! Anyone else going? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-294 ******************************