Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-295 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 295 Monday, 28 October 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible.wav? TMBG: Apologies to Matt TMBG: Shan't, etc.... Re: TMBG: Reprehensible.wav? TMBG: TMBG Interview (fwd) TMBG: roseland Re: TMBG: Highway Sheild Shirt TMBG: Factory Showroom, The list guy's views. (none) TMBG: Bye, all. TMBG: TMBG IRC channel Re: TMBG: Hidden Song Insulting, etc Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... TMBG: Anyone who can get to Columbia by 7pm... TMBG: sonic TMBG: Re: A TMBG Halloween idea... TMBG: .wav available Re: TMBG: roseland Re: TMBG: News letter TMBG: NYC SHOW/ SET LISTS TMBG: wayde TMBG: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY TMBG: silly hats TMBG: one more MTDOYC TMBG: TMBG on sonic net TMBG: Demo Tape; Live In New York; PODAS TMBG: DAS Recording Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... Re: TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:28:58 -0500 (EST) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible.wav? On Sat, 26 Oct 1996 bnjljy@ix.netcom.com wrote: > I know someone posted that they had Reprehensible.wav on their homepage? What > page? > > BTW, sorry this post doesn't have much to do with TMBG and the interest of the group, so here is something about TMBG Firstly this post was in direct reference to a TMBG song so I can't see how it could be construed as off topic. As well, the song in question is available in the TMBG sound gallery on my very own web page, the one Mrklaw and I created to satisfy our sick twisted urges and to corrupt children everywhere. Enjoy. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:14:27 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Apologies to Matt I sent Matt an apology for flaming him the other night. I was just tired and overreacted to what I thought he was saying about Top 5's and other subjects. I had wanted to chide him for taking some things too seriously but I got carried away. So...sorry to Matt again and sorry to you all for any negative vibes my posting created. It shant happen again. Herne P.S. Shant is a word? Isn't it? ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: Shan't, etc.... Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 08:06:01 -0600 (CST) > P.S. Shant is a word? Isn't it? That would be shan't, I think, for "shall not"... Isn't that usually some kind of medievalish word? Like, it's still a valid word and all, it's just "Archaic" or however the heck the dictionary would put it? -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by ANTS / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: bnjljy@ix.netcom.com Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 06:42:04 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible.wav? On 10/27/96 08:02:05 you wrote: > >> I'm going to the 11-30 concert in my hometown, Mil., WI! Anyone else going? > >Yes - Where can I get those tickets? I've been calling around, but everyone's >frigging clueless.... > >May the force be with you. > >Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by > SPAM / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the >~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex > http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu > > They aren't on sale yet. They go on sale October 8th or 6th or something. Call the Rave and ask when they go on sale/buy them. The Rave: (414) 342-7283 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 09:40:48 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Interview (fwd) OK, enough people have asked me for this thing that I figure I might as well go ahead and post it. It's the full version of the interview with Linnell that appeared in part in my school's paper. Enjoy! :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > > >Hey ya'll, I interviewed John Linell of They Might Be Giants last Friday, >and what follows is the transcript of the interview in almost complete >form (some of John's "Um's" have been left out, as well as the 5 minute >tangent where he and I just chatted). In case you won't be at the >concert, believe me, I WILL. John's invited me to come back before the >show, so you can all hate me... => Without further ado, the interview... > >------------------------------------------------------------------------- >DN = Daily Nebraskan (aka me) >JL = John Linell (of They Might Be Giants) > >DN: You guys are touring with Hootie & The Blowfish. >JL: Correct. >DN: How is that? >JL: Well we haven't started yet, so I can't answer that. >DN: How did it get set up? It's one of the most unusual >combinations I think I've ever seen. >JL: Well, yeah. We're going to see how it goes. Hootie & The >Blowfish, who I have yet to met, have apparently invited us to >come play with them on this leg of their tour. They get to choose >who opens for them and they picked us. So, you know, I know very >little about their music. Basically, this is not our regular audience. >The reason why we're really doing this is that we're going to play to >people who probably most of whom don't know about us. So it's >kind of an opportunity to try and convert an enormous bucket of >people or try to get them to remember us. It's kind of a shotgun >effect. If we get like 3% of the people we play to to buy our record, >that would be really substantial chunk of record sales. >DN: Have you guys ever played in Nebraska before? >JL: No, funny you should mention it. We've played in probably 45 >of the 50 states and Nebraska is in that teeny percentage of states >we've never played in. We won't be doing our full set. We're doing >our opener set , so it'll be about an hour. It'll be our kind of most >splashy stuff. But, it will be our first time in Omaha. I guess we >played in the Dakotas. We did some shows across Montana and in >Bismark. I realize that's not physically close to you guys, but that's >the nearest we've played, I think. >DN: You guys have got perhaps one of the most interesting select >group of appearances. You've appeared on just about every talk >show available, and you've appeared in a cartoon twice -- you guys >were in Tiny Toons. How did you get in Tiny Toons? >JL: It was probably the easiest gig we've ever done because they >just asked us if they could use the songs. We said yes and they >gave us money. We had nothing else to do with it. It was utterly >effortless on our part. >DN: The Dial-A-Song service... how long has that been in effect? >JL: That's a very very long running program considering we've >never made any money off of it. It was started in '83, fall of '83 and >it's been pretty much the same exact thing since. It's always been >the same phone number. It's just a phone machine you call up and >get to hear song by us and they're unreleased songs or songs that >haven't come out on their own yet, so that's the peg. >DN: You're new album is "Factory Showroom" and this is your >second album with a full band. Do you record just the two of you >and just play with the band live or do they actually come in the >studio with you? >JL: They were with us in the studio for the last two records. This >one was distinguished by the fact that we didn't really try to make >it sound like a live band. We recorded the other musicians, but we >recorded whichever ones we thought were appropriate. In other >words, there are some tracks that don't have bass or don't have >drums or don't have the whole line up. There's relatively few horns >on this record. We did it bit by bit, the way we made our earliest >records. We recorded the rhythm section and then we'd just add >stuff on and kind of tinker around in the studio. With John Henry, >we really learned twenty songs - learned how to play them in a >rehearsal room - and then recorded them more or less the way we >were playing them live. This is more of the typical They Might Be >Giants approach. >DN: Did you guys play without a band live then before? >JL: Yes, for about nine years, John and I were a duo and we had >tapes backing us up, but there were a whole variety of things on >the tape. We often had just drum machines and bass, but in some >cases we had recordings of us playing saxs or synthesizers. >DN: Is it a lot different playing with a band? >JL: It's really different and it changed our performance a whole lot >and it's continuing to change the way we perform. One thing we've >noticed is that we have these guys who are listening to what we're >doing and we're listening to them. We can improvise a lot. We've >got very improvisational. We tend to take a lot of space loss in a >portion of the show, which we never did. John and I, we were >pretty rigid when we were a duo. We'd figure out what we were >going to play and we'd just play it. There wasn't really much >messing around musicially and now we have the freedom to really >go out on a limb. We have one song that - most of the song is sort >of free improvisation. It's called "Spy" and it starts out with the >song, which is maybe like a minute and half long and then the next >couple minutes I'm conducting the band. They're playing more or >less anything they want to play. It's sort of a conducted >improvisionation. I think the thing was it took a while to kind of >build up the trust and confidence that allowed us to do something >like that. Because John and I are pretty controlling. We really do >want to make sure people have a good time. We have a pretty >specific idea of what we want to play on stage, so to get to the >stage of actually doing free improvisation -- it's taken a while. >DN: Do you guys get recognized on the streets? You're considered >one of the best underground pop bands.. >JL: Well, it's nice that we're considered that. >DN: You're kind of like this midwest band called The Samples in >that a lot of people hear of you from one of their friends who then >passes on to one of their friends. I know you don't get a lot of radio >play, but you get a lot of attention that way. >JL: Right. >DN: Do you get recognized on the streets, then? >JL: Well, it's not really common. Mainly we get recognized outside >the gig that we're playing. I think that's when people would be >actually sort of noticing that we're the guys. They don't put our >faces on the record covers. We're not trying to really push >ourselves as the most exciting aspect of what we're doing. John >and I feel like we're not personally that interesting. We want to >focus the attention on the work rather than the guys. >DN: Where did the idea to use an accordian come from? >JL: I'm a keyboard player. When John and I started, I played organ >and clavinet. We tried a bunch of different things and a friend ours >had an accordian that she had played when she was a kid and she >had sort of given up on it. She loaned it to me. We used it in a >show we did on the street in Brooklyn and it just made so much >sense from so many different angles. It was the right instrument for >the kind of material we were doing, it was a portable instrument >you could play outside and it looked cool. It just looked very fresh >to me, like something that was kind of interesting to look at and it's >a very dynamic keyboard instrument. It's like an organ except you >really have a lot of dynamic control over it. So it just seemed like >it was for me. And we started using it in the live show. I'm playing >a lot of different things in the current show, mostly playing >electronic keyboards, some accordian and I play the baritone sax. >It's just one of things. >DN: You guys have a lot of side projects - I hadn't realized until I >got your "Facts Sheet"... >JL: Yeah, well Flansburgh is definitely winning the race. He's got a >CD club you can join where you get ten CD's a year that are by >different artists that are more or less people that we know or >people we've met who are signed to record companies that want to >do some side things. So he's got the Hello CD of the Month Club, >plus he's been putting out his own material with a group called >Mono Puff that he put together and he also directs rock videos. >DN: Yeah, I saw that he directed videos for Soul Coughing and >Frank Black.. >JL: That's right. >DN: I also saw that you played on Frank Black's debut album and >you played on the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion debut album. >JL: That's right, yeah. >DN: Are you going to be playing with them any time soon? >JL: We've done a bunch of tours with Frank Black, actually. He's a >good friend of ours. We played in L.A. last week and I lost my >voice. Actually it was two weeks ago. We'd been in Japan and I >lost my voice. We played the show at the House of Blues that we'd >been booked to play - we couldn't really cancel it - and I could do >everything except sing, so we had Frank Black come out and sing >some of my songs which he was very kind to do. He's just >somebody we like. >DN: What's it like playing overseas? I saw that you've played a lot >of overseas concerts... >JL: Yeah, well it's interesting. It's fun to be in a different place, the >audiences are definitely... in some subtle way, they're very >different culturally. I always like goofing around in other places. It >definitely makes it interesting to tour when you're in an exotic >location. >DN: When did you guys actually meet? You started recording in >1986, the Dial-A-Song started in 1983... >JL: John and I went to high school together in the 70's. Well, >actually we attended elementary school together in Lincoln, Mass. >in the mid '70s and went on to high school - that's kind of when we >became friends, in the middle seventies - we both worked on the >high school newspaper together and we had a bunch of friends in >common. We kept in touch after that and we both ended up in New >York in the early eighties and that's when we started doing this >stuff. >DN: Do you find a lot of people know stuff from Flood more any >of your other albums? >JL: Well, I think there are certain songs that everybody knows. We >had some singles from our independant LPs that people seem to >remember. Yeah, for some reason there's just particular songs that >are the ones that people... >DN: Do you guys each have your favorites? >JL: I can't think of what my favorites are at the moment. I'm >excited mainly about doing the new material, 'cause it's something >fresh and we're still figuring out how to play some of the stuff, so I >guess that's the funnest thing for me -- the stuff we're just >introducing into the show. We're just about to learn how to play >Metal Detector, which is... We can't really play the arrangement >that's on the album because it's mostly Moog synthesizers, so we're >having to figure out how to do that between the guitar and me. >DN: How was "I Can Hear You" -- I saw it was recorded on an >Edison Recorder? >JL: That's correct, it was recorded without the use of electricity in >the original method of making recordings. It was how they made >records in 1895. We went and used the original equipment that >was in the Edison Museum in West Orange, NJ. We performed in >front of a crowd and played these songs into recorder and then >about five minutes later they let the cylinder cool off and they >played it in the player. That's more or less what it sounded like. >The guy actually transferred it using slightly more sophisticated >gear to transfer it to modern technology, but you're listening to the >sound of a wax cylinder recording. >DN: How did you guys come up with the idea to recording on a >wax... >JL: It wasn't our idea. They invited us, so we didn't really know >what... John and I have heard of Edison cylinders before, we didn't >really know what it involved. I guess they've been getting other >artists to come and perform in front of the tour that goes through >the Edison Museum. So we showed up and on the stage where we >were going to perform, they had this recorder, which is a pretty >small little thing. It's about a foot long and it just looks like this >little tool kit or something, but coming out of it are these cones, >one of which is twelve feet long and at the front end it's about two >feet wide and then there's a smaller one that you sing into. The >band gathers around the big one and we're all playing as hard as we >can, and the vibrations from us playing is what's digging the >groove into the cylinder. It's all done strictly without microphones >and that's what you hear on the record. (long pause) I know, it's >crazy. >DN: Yeah...it's just a really weird way of recording. >JL: Well that was what they did before they invented microphones >and stuff like that. >DN: I notice that every once in a while you guys bring up an >obscure song and revive it. Like "Istanbul" and "Why Does The >Sun Shine?" >JL: Uh-huh. >DN: You guys planning on doing any more of those? >JL: Well, we don't have any plans. We've got a cover on our record >which is a not particularly obscure song - well, I don't know >whether it's obscure or not - it's a song by a group called the Cubs >called "New York City" and they're from Vancouver. John heard it >on the radio and it just spoke to him. >DN: I hadn't heard of it before. Maybe it's just big in New York >City. >JL: No, it's not big in New York City. The Cubs are definitly a >band people have heard of, because we've met people who were >aware of... The Cubs have a new album, I guess. Or maybe they're >called Cub, actually... >DN: I think it's Cub. >JL: Cub, right. There you go. >DN: And you guys played on the XTC tribute album? >JL: Yes, we did! We were asked to contribute an XTC song, our >version. We checked out some of the earlier New-Wavey songs >and we started trying to work up an arrangement on one of them... >it just wasn't, I don't know... it just wasn't coming together. So, we >decided we were going to break the rules they had already set for >us and record the Dukes of Stratosphere song - which is the band >that XTC transformed themselves into in order to play sort of >psychedelic songs - and we recorded a song called "Twenty-Five >O'Clock." Our version was sort of -- it's a little more like a 70s, >early 70's kind of approach than the psychedelic version that the >Dukes of Stratosphere did. >DN: Did it get included on the compilation? >JL: Yep. >DN: Even though you broke the rules? >JL: Even though we broke the rules, they put it on there. Yeah. >DN: I also see just looking at the Random Facts that "Birdhouse in >Your Soul" was a Top Ten Hit in the U.K.? >JL: That's correct. >DN: Was it different playing shows over in Britain when that >happened? >JL: It was, yeah. We actually had a much more expensive tour after >we charted and we lost a ton of money... (laughs) which shows >how success can kill you. We rented like busses and had a caterer >and the fancy tour... I think the thing is, sure a lot of people had >heard of us that month. We really did manage to make a big stink >in the U.K. on that occassion. But in some way, the concerts we >were doing were more or less to the same kinds of people that we'd >been playing to all along. What we were doing was spending a lot >more money and playing the same kinds of places. I guess we still >have a higher profile in the U.K. than we do anywhere else, but... I >don't think that having a hit record was a central fact in our lives. >We have a much more reliable fanbase that's people who listen to >the albums. >DN: What age group does your audience usually turn out to be at >concerts? >JL: It's very broad. I think normally bands play to kids who are >between 18 and 25 and we certainly have that predominantly, but >we have a lot of really young fans and a lot of people our age. In >other words - old. >DN: (laugh) >JL: And even older than us. So among bands, I think we have one >of the widest range of bands. >DN: So how long will you be on tour for? >JL: We'll probably be supporting this record into next spring, but it >sorta depends on how well the record does. We might, you know, >go mental if we have a hit... >DN: Have you guys done a video for MTV? >JL: Not yet. We're gearing up to make a video for "S-E-X-X-Y." >DN: Is Flansburgh directing himself? >JL: We haven't figured it out yet. What we'll probably do is cook >up the video ourselves and then either John will direct it or we'll >get somebody else to do it. >DN: I appreciate you talking to me. I'll be sure to see you guys >when I'm out at the concert. >JL: Well, say hey to everybody out there. This is our first ever >show in Nebraska, to reiterate, so we're happy to be finally >showing up. I flew over Omaha once, and I knew that because I >was looking at a map and I looked down and the city on the ground >looked exactly like... you know, it's on this curving river and it's >very obviously Omaha, exactly like the map of Omaha, so I have >seen Omaha, but I've never been to Omaha >DN: I'm sure Omaha will be very welcome to see you. > >----------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > //===============================================================\\ > //----------------------------beLIEf-------------------------------\\ > //===================================================================\\ > // Founder of the "Starlight Society" - Dreamers & romantics welcome \\ >||=======================================================================|| >|| http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5135 || >||=======================================================================|| >|| Cliff Hicks || English & Journalism double Major at UNL. || >|| 00203336@bigred.unl.edu ||============================================|| >||=========================|| Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Fight || >|| My dog || the power. Schramm Ten. Just be glad we || >|| is on fire. || don't live on your floor. Come visit us. || >||=========================||============================================|| >|| "It's three o'clock in the morning, / I'm on the streets again, || >|| Disappate another warning, / Should'a been home by ten, || >|| Now I stay out, til Sunday / I'll have to say I stayed with friends || >|| But it's a habit worth forming, || >|| If it's the means to justify the end..." || >\\ ~"Dancing In the Moonlight," Thin Lizzy // > \\____________________________________________________________________// > > > Have a peachy day! Emily ------------------------------ From: "Pam" Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:09:38 +0000 Subject: TMBG: roseland is anyone else on the list going to the concert on november 8 at roseland? pmcleod@student.manhattan.edu "Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending." -Kermit the Frog :-) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:37:53 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Highway Sheild Shirt >The Highway Sheild Shirt pictured on the web site and the one >in the Info CLub Newsletter are different designs. If I were to >order it (As a very well might), which one would be sent? Well, I recently got one (it's my fave shirt, btw), and it says.. They Might Be Giants 93 Tour ...or something like that. And it has the dates listed on the back each line as a sunray (cuz it's the WDTSS? tour). ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Look, I need my sleep. If I don't get my 23 and 1/2 hours, I'm cranky all day." - Dave Foley, KITH ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom, The list guy's views. Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:50:29 -0500 (EST) Your list admin finally bought Factory Showroom today along with Donna Lewis's "now in a minute". I had listened to Factory Showroom on Real Audio before, but I reserved judgement until I got the actual CD. So what do I think? Well I love "Till My Head Falls Off", and since the sticker on the album said "Featuring S-E-X-X-Y and "Till My Head Falls Off" I'm hopeful that will be the next single. I think it could go over very well. I also find "James K. Polk" a very catchy tune. I think "Pet Name" has a lot of potential given the Hootie connection. It's a good song and I think the Hootie type fans would like it. As for the rest of the CD it's ok. I can't say I'm terribly excited by the CD as a whole. "S-E-X-X-Y" would make a good single if it wasn't quite so non-traditional (eg the wierd string ending...kinda cute, but not a top 10 single make). "New York City" is a cool song but I don't think it quite fits. Same for "I can hear you". In short, I'm glad I bought it, but it didn't earn a spot in my lowly 3 disc CD changer, which Donna Lewis did (replacing School House Rock, at least for the moment). In case you wonder the other two CD's are No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" and Toad the Wet Sprockt's "Dulcinea". Hey, at least the web site advertisement is on the CD. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:38:59 -0600 (CST) From: pucketaw@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Puck) Well, Giantheads, I've been a very bad boy lately. I don't think I've read mailing list mail for 2 months now. It's much worse than lurking...unread mails are taking over my hard drive! So, I must bid you all adieu. I'll sign back onto the list when I have some free time. Maybe I'll see you in the spring! The Great Puck andy PUCKett pucketaw@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu ps---My favorite line from "Factory Showroom," which will always remind me of you guys, "I want to raise my freak flag Higher and higher and I want to raise my freak flag And never be alone Never be alone." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:41:14 -0600 (CST) From: pucketaw@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Puck) Subject: TMBG: Bye, all. Well, Giantheads, I've been a very bad boy lately. I don't think I've read mailing list mail for 2 months now. It's much worse than lurking...unread mails are taking over my hard drive! So, I must bid you all adieu. I'll sign back onto the list when I have some free time. Maybe I'll see you in the spring! The Great Puck andy PUCKett pucketaw@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu ps---My favorite line from "Factory Showroom," which will always remind me of you guys, "I want to raise my freak flag Higher and higher and I want to raise my freak flag And never be alone Never be alone." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:18:17 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: TMBG IRC channel Hi everyone, sorry for the two blank messages. My server was screwed up. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would like to help me get started with this Mirc thing. I just downloaded it and I'm going to try it out right now. Anyone who knows what they're doing when it comes to this sort of thing, please e-mail me. Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: "Bluedawg" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Song Insulting, etc Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:55:51 -0500 : Next, a message to Ruprecht, and BlueDawg. I, too wish to speak with my lawyer. I'm not on crack. : Not that they're the : only ones doing this, but they seem to almost advocate it. When you're : discussing something, I assume you're trying to convince others that do : not share your viewpoint to change so that they do share your viewpoint. Sometimes, and yes I do advocate it. I can be very passionate about some of my views, and this is the personality trait that I think shows through most over the 'net. That said, I'm always excited to hear other people's views, if they're presented in a thoughtful, rational manner. I can't stand stuff like messages that just say "Factory Showroom rulez, guyz.....I like it allmost as much THEir first LP, fLood." : Otherwise, I don't know why you're talking, since no one really wants to : hear your ideas just for the sake of hearing them. Um, yeah, some people are interested in what I have to say. If they're not, they can hit the delete key. Won't hurt my feelings any. : If this is not the : case, my argument doesn't really have a good base to stand on. Assuming : what I just assumed, however, you will not convince people by insulting : them and trying to incite voilent and defensive reactions. When have I done this in the context of the public list? I have a problem with this statement, and would like you to produce some evidence of me insulting someone within the last month. If you make an accusation, you should be able to back it up. If you can't back it up, you owe me and Ruprecht a public apology over the list. : Some of the : things you say (this is mostly directed towards Ruprecht) really are : purposely inflammatory. If you're not doing it on purpose, watch what you : say, and see if it's inflammatory before you say it. No one will listen to : what you say if you're being inflammatory. Being negative, in itself, is : quite alright. If you don't like a song or whatever, that's fine. According to you, it's not. I'm not even supposed to state my opinions, remember? Nobody wants to hear them. : Negativity, pessimism, whatever, is fine. You can convince (some) people : that bad stuff is going on. You can even have people just say, 'Hmmm... : Interesting idea. I don't agree with him, but I respect his opinion : nonetheless.' I feel this is what I do....."Factory Showroom is okay, but.....the following songs just didn't strike a chord with me: bla bla bla. Discuss" This I think is illistruated in my "Fretting Factory Showroom" message, the one that started that thread. (you can read it in the digest archives (www.tmbg.org)). I have a tendancy to flame, but I rarely do it over the list. I can't bring myself to do that because I hate it when someone does it to me. Unfortunately, most of the people who flame over the list are supporters of popular opinion, and are hailed as heros. Joshua Hall-Bachner, for instance, here a short time ago (hey, Josh, we're still straight). Ryan Bassler on the newsgroup comes immediately to mind. : People can just listen to your ideas, in this case, even if : you don't convince them. People, however, will do neither if you say 'If : you don't see this, you don't possess even a modicum of intelligence. Again, I call on you to produce some evidence. If you can't find any of me, I do expect an apology. : What : are you on?' All this causes are comments saying 'You %*&!! What are _you_ : on you $)*## $*@$#&** !!!!' Was this your intent? If not, you should : probably consider attempting to explain things in a less inflammatory : manner. If so...... I know where you live. :) If the manner I've put forth is inflammatory, please explain why. I don't see it is inflammatory. An example of an inflammatory thread is "Flans is an ASS!" When, again, have I done this? Or the current thread on alt.music.tmbg where some idiot calls for people to boycott TMBG. When these threads come about, I remove myself from the group/list. I don't read or post to alt.music.tmbg hardly at all anymore. : If you choose to continue : purposely annoying people (or at least doing it accidentally because you : didn't try to avoid it hard enough)... we'll all be annoyed, but we'll be : powerless to stop you. Again, people who are annoyed can hit the delete key. I do most of the time when I'm annoyed. If I'm overly annoyed, I'll respond via *e-mail*. Killfiles also work, but I don't think that I'm that much of a jerk. If you also noticed, I don't post here all that much anymore. And if you want to do more than that, hold a vote over the list, and if enough people want me to leave, I will. I don't stay where I'm not wanted. : Again, this is mostly to Ruprecht, because I've : noticed he does it more often than most people (altho I haven't been : paying really close attention, he might have changed, I'll admit I'm wrong : if I notice he's changed or he says something... sends me death threats, : bribes or something...) I just didn't want to seem like I hated him (I : don't), so I put BlueDawg in there too. :) If it's directed at Ruprecht, it should come to him in the form of a direct e-mail. The same goes for me. Anything that I get directly, I'll answer. If anyone has a problem with what I say, e-mail me. bluedawg@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:38:56 -0500 (EST) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... Oh, don't stop there! Why be a John when you could be a creation thereof? Examples: * The Rabid Child, Chess Piece Face, or the Big Duluth * Particle, Triangle, or Universe Man * Just a guy made of dots and lines (difficult!) * That journalist guy whose face is in all their early videos * James Ensor, James K. Polk (I know they didn't actually make these two up...) * For the ladies (barf) out there, the Hotel Detective woman. * Your own worst enemy or your evil twin You get the idea... -Kilroy "I'm beyond men." -Winona Ryder, in "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:49:33 -0600 (CST) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: TMBG: Anyone who can get to Columbia by 7pm... Hey everyone, Due to unforseen circumstances, a friend of mine can't go to the TMBG & Hootie show with me tonight. So now I have an extra ticket. It's almost 3pm now. I'll be on-line until at least 6pm. If you can make it to Columbia, MO before the concert at 8pm and want the ticket (for cost, $26.50), e-mail me at c619888@showme.missouri.edu right away and I'll e-mail you back immediately. Oh, and by the way, IT'S A FLOOR SEAT. :> Thanks! I'd really rather give this to a fan than a scalper! Lara Schmidt _________________ poet, writer, musician, webslave! _________________ www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~maneater www.missouri.edu/~moreview www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~c619888 ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: sonic Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 15:00:38 -0500 (EST) Maybe I had misplaced antecedants, but the you I was refering to in "If it's out in California *you* are..." is a British person. 7PM in California is 3AM in Great Britain. So if it were aired in Cali, then Brits would have to stay up until 3AM to do it, and they'd have to be on till at least 4AM or 5AM to catch all of it. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 00:22:52 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: TMBG: Re: A TMBG Halloween idea... >I was thinking, anybody two friends out there who love TMBG, why not go >as John and John for Halloween. I think it would be a lot of fun. One >person carries an accordian and the other a weird shaped guitar maybe... >Linnell could also carry a cup of coffee maybe. I guess most people would >have no idea who you are trying to be, but wouldn't it be cool if >somebody did know!?!? Anyway, most likely I won't do it, but maybe >somebody out there in TMBG land will :) My friend's hip-to-the-scene boss once went as the ghost of a dance instructor. I think that's pretty neat. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 15:36:08 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: .wav available Ok, so it is a shameless plug...who cares! If you go visit the EFnet #TMBG Home Page at: http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html You can d/l a .wav of the Demo Tape version of Don't Let's Start! For those of you who have never heard it, go check it out...it is quite a bit different than the pink album version...and for those of you who have heard it...It is a pretty good quality .wav considering it is only 1.4 megs, d/l it and have a copy to listen to while on your computer! :) sorry if this seems silly, I just want to make sure people realize there are a ton of TMBG fans who spend there time talking to each other on Efnet IRC #TMBG... Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 15:51:39 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: roseland In a message dated 96-10-27 11:12:11 EST, you write: << is anyone else on the list going to the concert on november 8 at roseland? >> for some reason i cannot e-mail you directly,so im sending to the list. sorry everyone. well im going ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 15:47:30 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: News letter > I have yet to get my newsletter. Do you think it has anything to do with me > being on the West Coast? Well, it may be a different newsletter (really, how many are there? =) but a friend of mine hasn't gotten his either. He basically got me started on They, so when I mentioned FS to him, we were both shocked because he'd never heard of it before. And this was over a week since it came out. He still thought They were finished and Flansburg (it's with a "u", right?) was doing Mono Puff full time. It took a little while to convince him, but he attributed all his lack of knowledge to the fact that his newsletter is late also. And we live in Colorado, so I don't think They are consiously ignoring the west coast. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: NYC SHOW/ SET LISTS From: ethan3@juno.com (Ethan Gobetz) Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 17:55:36 EST Guys, I am going to the show on November 8th at Roseland. Who else on the list will be going? Also, does anyone know if there will be anybody taping the show, I would love a copy. One last thing, how can I get set lists to the recent tour, I'd love to see what they are playing. Thanks Ethan ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: wayde Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 18:18:00 -0500 (EST) Hello, could Wayde please mail me? Problem with the 3"ers. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 17:40:20 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: TMBG: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY It's just me here. I'm just exited right now. THEY go on stage in exactly 2 hours, 20 minutes, and 37seconds. And since I'm NOT staying for HOOTIE, I can still finish my calculus afterwards. Tomorrow I get to see THEM free, too! Oh Joy, Oh Rapture! I'm approaching a moment of Zen. ************************************************************************ *James @ MU, one of the many TMBG fans who think it's OK to change, but* *just doesn't really want to put up with Hootie OR his stupid blowfish.* ************************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:24:19 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: TMBG: silly hats After all those heart-warming personal bios that were posted, it seems that lots of the people on this last like to wear silly hats! I just wanted to say that I, too, love to wear silly hats, especially in physics class. Einstein used to were silly handmade hats. They are wonderful! Is there a connection between TMBG music and wearing silly hats? Are there subliminal messages in the music? This just made me think of the song "I've got a match": "Get out of the car, put down the phone, take of that stupid looking hat you wear." Now I don't really like this song and haven't thought much about it in the past, but are these words being spoken to the singer, and that's the reason he is so tired of the person speaking them? Or is it the singer telling someone else to take off their stupid hat? My two cents to buy some food for thought. Advocate for silly hats, Sarah Cooke "The killer doesn't see the world the way we do." "How does he see it?" "Differently." --From "Millenium" ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 19:37:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: one more MTDOYC xMTDOYC (Mark These Dates On Your Calendar): x November 6, 1996 - TMBG on Conan O'Brian x November 7, 1996 - TMBG on www.sonicnet.com x November 26, 1996 - Supposed S-E-X-X-Y release date x x I take no credit for the gathering of these dates, but I thought xI'd put this up as a reminder to all of you, thank me later after I xforget them. Well, ever since Sept 20th or whatever it was, I have been breathlessly awaiting Their appearence on Larry Sanders. I've heard the new season starts November 13th, but I doubt TMBG will be on the season opener because that would just be too convenient for me :P So unless somebody cool out there knows a date... hint hint... I'll be standing guard with my VCR loaded every Wednesday night after that. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 21:32:00 -0500 From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: TMBG on sonic net Somehow i totally missed the beginning of this thread.... when and where is this live chat thing going on? I want in on it!!!! Kris Maxwell kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu "If it wasn't for disappointment...." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 22:27:54 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Demo Tape; Live In New York; PODAS I'm trying to get copies of these 'cause I don't have 'em. I don't have anything to trade. I can pay, tho $$. E-mail me if you can get me copies. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: DAS Recording From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 23:02:44 EST HELP! This is an EMERGANCY POST! I have a phone card that expires in 3 days and I plan to blow it all on DAS. Does anyone know how to rig a simple (and preferablly cheap) device to record off the telephone into my radio? Thanks! +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 22:24:47 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... Kilroy wrote: > > Oh, don't stop there! Why be a John when you could be a creation thereof? Examples: > * The Rabid Child, Chess Piece Face, or the Big Duluth > * Particle, Triangle, or Universe Man > * Just a guy made of dots and lines (difficult!) > * That journalist guy whose face is in all their early videos > * James Ensor, James K. Polk (I know they didn't actually make these two up...) > * For the ladies (barf) out there, the Hotel Detective woman. > * Your own worst enemy or your evil twin > You get the idea... > -Kilroy > "I'm beyond men." > -Winona Ryder, in "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" I always thought I WAS the evil twin, and one question to anyone: Where would one get a four-foot fez if going as John or John? Simon Koch Rumors of his Death have been greatly exxagerated ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 22:21:04 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Conan and more... Evan Chakroff wrote: > > At 01:01 AM 10/26/96 EDT, you wrote: > >>Like I have stated before I could destroy the world if I > >>wanted to, but then again the world is where I keep all my stuff. > >you watch the tick to much. Otherwise you just watch comedy central a > > you did not just use "The Tick" and "too much" in the same sentence! > There's no such thing! The Tick is the best cartoon comedy since The Critic > or The Simpsons! > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 What do you mean "since"?? The Tick is simply the best, with The Bullwinkle show a close second! Simon Koch "What's that blue thing doing here?" - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 00:45:32 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... >I always thought I WAS the evil twin, and one question to anyone: Where >would one get a four-foot fez if going as John or John? Actually, those are simply rolled-up carpets. Easy to reproduce. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 01:33:22 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween idea... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-Oct-96 Re: TMBG: A TMBG Halloween .. by Jonathan Chaffer@tmbg.or > Actually, those are simply rolled-up carpets. Easy to reproduce. They are *not* rolled up carpets. A rolled up carpet four feet long would be heavy enough to break someone's neck. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-295 ******************************