Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-297 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 297 Wednesday, 30 October 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: UPCOMING TMBG NY SHOW TMBG: This place aint what it used to be...... Re: TMBG: Mtv on TMBG...argh! TMBG: End of Hello? Re: TMBG: A They Moment TMBG: Re:HORAAAAY! TMBG: Particle Man TMBG: Dirk Gently TMBG: Dirk Gently RE: TMBG: FS in UK Re: TMBG: How come... TMBG: PLEASE READ (Little TMBG Content) Re: TMBG: Mtv on TMBG...argh! TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver TMBG: RE: BOBA MAIL: Sensurround vs. TMHFO TMBG: RE: BOBA MAIL: Sensurround vs. TMHFO Re: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver TMBG: lack of the english language; and string endings... Re: TMBG: A TMBG Moment TMBG: oh happy day.. TMBG: TMBG & MUSICIAN MAGAZINE TMBG: Re: (Little TMBG Content) + Re: Mtv on TMBG...argh! TMBG: cd TMBG: Credibility TMBG: Sorry TMBG: Sorry TMBG: token back to brooklyn Re: TMBG: MST3K Re: TMBG: How come... Re: TMBG: Credibility Re: TMBG: Mtv on TMBG...argh! TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics? TMBG: Re: Credibility et al Re: TMBG: Credibility Re: TMBG: silly hats TMBG:do you hear the radio? Re: TMBG: Re: Credibility et al TMBG: Tour dates TMBG: re:tour dates Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-296 TMBG: TMBG in Kansas City TMBG: cd's TMBG: Re: Credibility et al TMBG: TOUR DATES ON WEB TMBG: Milwaukee Show Re: TMBG: End of Hello? TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y, MTV & OAT Re: TMBG: Dirk Gently Re: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver TMBG: NYC In-store @ Tower Records TMBG: FS Hidden Track Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics?/Other stuff Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 03:29:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: UPCOMING TMBG NY SHOW xHelp!!! Can anyone give me ANY info on the Nov. 8 TMBG show at Roseland? I xknow nothing -- time of the show, ticket prices, where I can get tickets, xdirections on how to get there from York, PA, you get the idea. Roseland ballroom: 239 West 52nd Street, between 8th Avenue and Broadway The show starts at 8 pm. Tickets are 18.50 before service charge. You can get them from TicketBastard. Directions? Ummmm... flap your arms really hard? --Christy ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: This place aint what it used to be...... Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 05:20:37 -0600 I'll try my best to make this sound right, but it isnt all that easy at 4:00 in the morning! I just wanted to express my feeling about all the arguing &stuff that has been going on..... It seems that about 2 months ago we had about 100 more people join (getting back to school and access) and this place really has been going down. We have had sooo many insulting flames and pointless arguments... I'm just wondering why people post flames to the list. Do they think want to hear them? Do they think we will really care about someone talking about how stupid someone or something is... A good example would be how someone just said "Quiz bowls are gay" Now do we care what they think about them? This is not the Quiz-Bowl opinion list (or is it and i'm going insane?) WOW! i managed to get out a paragraph while half asleep.... i'm probably gonna regret posting this soon..... I just got the they'll need a crane single from the library..... Not that i didn't have every song.......... dot dot dot.............. _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 07:39:48 -0500 From: Pavlov Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv on TMBG...argh! I say we can kill them? Or something horible... lets get em! hehehe At 09:36 PM 10/28/96 -0700, you wrote: >Hmmm...well...i found this a mtv.com...part of their "Sonic Stew"... >it's apparently a review of the new They Might Be Giants album...but I >don't think it's all that flattering to TMBG or TMBG fans >everywhere...here goes...I DID NOT WRITE THIS... > > >All right, we know what you're thinking. Not THOSE guys? True, > while TMBG have remained a viable touring curiosity, they were > kind of the ship that angst sunk, and haven't had a real hit on their > accordion-wielding hands since the Paleolithic era of the mid-'80s > or something like that. But if you can just free your mind for a > second, just put your silly alt-rock cred aside for a minute, you'll > find yourself secretly bopping up and down on your bed to this > record. The Johns Linnell and Flansburgh specialize in quirky, > stick-in-your-head pop songs, and this is one of the finest gatherings > of them they've ever called together. Forget the past, all the > currently acceptable ingredients are here: they put the bop in > Weezer--even the Rentals probably copped their synth riffs more > from these guys than the Cars; they're geeky in that endearing way > that makes us all recognize the geek in ourselves; "exquisite dead > guy" is a lyric Marilyn Manson would probably think is cool. Hell, > they've even got angst, it just tends to come more from a Sebadoh > kind of place than from the Cobain/Vedder school. And we > promise, not an accordion in earshot -- well, okay, maybe on one > song. > >arghargharghargharghargharghargh!!!!! > >Now I know why I don't miss Mtv so much anymore! >:), >Jessica > >???????????????????????????????????????????????? >? Jessica Gluckman..."My name's not Prince, ? >? and I'm not funky." ? >? *Mail me at:143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu ? >? *Wander through my brain...if you dare : ? >? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2195 ? >?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~? >? "Sing your life, any fool can think of ? >? words that rhyme." ? >? -Morrissey ? >???????????????????????????????????????????????? > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Pavlov (Stuart Parmenter) irc servers: | E-Mail: pavlov@innerx.net WarPeD.GA.US.EarthInt.Net | Atlanta.GA.US.Undernet.Org | WWW: http://irc.innerx.net/pavlov "Experimental dog, Salivating dog, Good dog, dinner bell dinner bell do the bell thing, dinner bell dinner bell ring" - They Might Be Giants - "Dinner Bell" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 07:59:03 -0500 (EST) From: Thomas Murphy Subject: TMBG: End of Hello? I read a distressing bit of info on the list a few days agao. No one has commented so i will raise the subject again. In an interview with linnell, he made the comment that the Hello recording club was not going to be a viable entity much longer (paraphrased). Does anyone have any further info on this? Will we ever see "House of mayors? If the Flansburgh/Galen partnership floundering? Has anyone recd mail from hellocd@aol.com? And what about Naomi? *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: A They Moment Date: Tue, 29 Oct 96 8:16:35 18000 > > > On Mon, 28 Oct 96 16:15 EST kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten > Brodbeck) writes: > > > > I had a TMBG moment last night. I was at Quiz Bowl practice, > >and > >the question was: who was the first darkhorse candidate to win? I > >immediately guess "James K. Polk" and I got it right! Admittedly, > >this > >was the third time I'd guess "James K. Polk" for a question about > >presidents (I don't know my presidents real well, okay?), but it was > >still > >pretty keen. I happened to have the words in my pocket so I presented > >them to my coach. He was quite impressed, actually, and was curious > >about > >TMBG. So next week I'm bringing a couple cds. ;) > > > >Kirsten the Knowlegable > I'm sorry to say this but quiz bowls are gay. > -Dragon Lord Quiz Bowls are gay. Hmm. How can an inanimate event have either a. an emotion, or b. a sexual preference? I really wish we could avoid these junior-high insults, they're so pointless and nonsensical. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:35:05 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: Re:HORAAAAY! >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS >with Cub >Thursday. December 5, 8:00pm; $16.50/17.50 >at Bogarts- Cincinnati, OH > >Email me or visit their web page (www.bogarts.com) for directions. > >I expect to see many people there. > > SenSurround i was just going to post this when i saw your post... i for one will be there! bob palindrome bob (who has had to leave the list temporarily due to his provider) will be there too! anyone who is going to the cincy show please email me privately! if you want to go and need help finding it... let me know!! lets make this show a HUGE mailing list show! i know TONS of you guys are within 2 hours of us here in cincy... (it's a shame we don't have the t-shirts... hint hint) -- Green Jello "Stand on your own head for a change, give me some skin to call my own" - tmbg http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ From: "Jon Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:56:33 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Particle Man Anyone out there do physics? Triangle of Forces? Particle intercepted by a traingle of atomic forces? Am I making any sense? I know I am. Does this song have anything to do with the old Spiderman theme tune? Have a nice day guys! ------------------------------ From: "Jon Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:00:29 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Dirk Gently > >> "Get out of the car, put down the phone, take of that stupid >> looking hat you wear." This line always reminds me of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books. I think it's the first one where it talks about Dirk's hat, and about the guy who always writes the horoscopes especially about Dirk. Er, I don't have the book here, so this is really rather vague. But those of you who've read the book probably know what I mean. __________________________ /This happy squirrel says: \ | Goodbye from | | j.vile@roehampton.ac.uk | \_______ ________________/ \ | \| |\__/| .~ ~. /o=o'`./ .' {o__, \ { / . . ) \ `-` '-' \ } .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _| ------------------------------ From: "Jon Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:13:39 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Dirk Gently Sorry about the last one, the machine fucked up. >> "Get out of the car, put down the phone, take of that stupid >> looking hat you wear." > This line always reminds me of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books. I >think it's the first one where it talks about Dirk's hat, and about >the guy who always writes the horoscopes especially about Dirk. Er, I >don't have the book here, so this is really rather vague. But those >of you who've read the book probably know what I mean. Um,, I've read the books, and I'm an obessive DNA fan, but never got that. It always reminds me of a girl I was once with. She would insult everything about me, my hair, my clothes, my liking of TMBGs EVERYTHING, then when our friend s were around she'd be all lovely and sweet and oh I don't know, it drove me insane (I've got to match your embrace in my collaspe) and we split up, and that's about it. Whenever I hear that song it just reminds e of her. It was as io the Johns were looking in at my life at that point. I wear a silly hat that looks like something from Indiana Jones all the time, and she would just called it stupid-looking. I like silly hats too Sarah. Can I be the masquerading placebo? would that be too much of a twist? I'm in a funny mood today, sorry. ------------------------------ From: "Jon Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:17:28 +0000 Subject: RE: TMBG: FS in UK In reference to Mark's message. If I can get FS soon I would be in heaven. I tried ordering it from the TMBG website and wrote the wrong VISA number down, I've just cancelled the card and I'm a bit stupid really. Ah life, where have you gone? __________________________ /This happy squirrel says: \ | Goodbye from | | j.vile@roehampton.ac.uk | \_______ ________________/ \ | \| |\__/| .~ ~. /o=o'`./ .' {o__, \ { / . . ) \ `-` '-' \ } .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _| ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:39:36 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: Re: TMBG: How come... On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > > Uh... I always thought it was about a particle or something... I can't > explain it, cause I don't know what it is. > -- Look in the paper. Don't blame _ME_ if the guy's a nut! ************************************************************************ *James @ MU, one of the many TMBG fans who think it's OK to change, but* *just doesn't really want to put up with Hootie OR his stupid blowfish.* ************************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 10:36:15 -0600 From: mjs087@nwu.edu (Matthew Springer) Subject: TMBG: PLEASE READ (Little TMBG Content) >>I'm sorry to say this but quiz bowls are gay. >> >#1. The list really doesn't need to hear personal email. >#2. The list REALLY doesn't need any more flame threads. >#3. Calling something "gay" as an insult is like saying "nigger". >#3. If you're sorry to say it, why bother? >#4. As far as I know, no one on this list cares what you think of quiz bowls. I have to second these emotions. My name is Matt Springer, I've been on the list for about two weeks, which is just about as long as I've been a TMBG fan. I'm slowly but surely getting into the band, and will be going to see them in Chicago on 11/26. I think it all began when I saw them here at NOrthwestern last spring. What a great live band! (That's my mini-bio.) I joined this list to get information about TMBG concerts and releases and boots and stuff, and to hear intelligent discussion about the band. I have to admit (no offense meant here) that I haven't heard much of either. The bottom line is that I don't think most of the posters to this list realize that their words are being beamed out to hundreds of others who don't really want to hear most of what they're saying. So much of what is said here could be handled in PERSONAL MAIL TO INDIVIDUAL POSTERS. I'm not discounting some levity and fun, but I see too many one-line messages, stabs at humor, and just plain flaming. I'm on several other band listservs (Elvis Costello, Elton John, and Bruce Springsteen) all of which have had similar problems. But we've always regulated ourselves rather well. This list seems to have no sense of what is appropriate for two people to discuss in a private exchange, and what is appropriate to be discussed in the company of hundreds. I just have two pieces of advice. I offer these as someone who's only been around for a few weeks, and may have a fresh perspective on things. You may take or leave them. 1) Truly consider how many people recieve every post you send. Take just one second to consider it. Then decide whether or not the message should be sent to the entire list, or just the original poster. I think this is very important. 2) MORE BAND DISCUSSION! Even if you still feel the need to send useless messages, attach to them at least one TMBG related thought, so that discussion can be promoted. And please, everyone who sees Them in concert on this tour, SEND OUT SET LISTS AND REVIEWS! I NEED THIS INFO! Thanks. :) 3) (Okay, I lied, three tips...) On the Costello list, we have a subject header we use for messages that aren't directly or indirectly related to EC. Maybe in addition to the "TMBG:" subject, we could invent a new one: "NO TMBG:" then the subject itself. That way everyone would know not just that the message were from the TMBG listserv, but that it contained no TMBG content whatsoever, and then the reader could decide whether or not to read it based on the subject, instead of being tricked into reading meaningless messages with the "TMBG:" addition in the header with the vain hope that there might actually be some TMBG content. Please direct any thoughts or flames to me directly and not to the list. I'm not trying to start an argument, just offer a fresh perspective. I'm also not trying to play list cop, just offer some friendly advice. Take it or leave it. Have a good day. Matt P.S. TMBG content: did you know that Clive Langier and Alan Wistanley, who produced five tracks on "Flood," also produced Elvis Costello's "Punch the Clock" and Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Too-Rye-Ay" (which includes the single "Come On Eileen") and Bush's "Sixteen Stone"? The first two are good CDs and highly recommended for fans of "Flood." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us because they don't deserve us" --Elvis Costello, ".....And In Every Home" Matthew Springer mjs087@nwu.edu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:55:56 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv on TMBG...argh! On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Jessica T. Gluckman wrote: > while TMBG have remained a viable touring curiosity, they were > kind of the ship that angst sunk, and haven't had a real hit on their > accordion-wielding hands since the Paleolithic era of the mid-'80s > or something like that. But if you can just free your mind for a Yeah, maybe not on mtv! > second, just put your silly alt-rock cred aside for a minute, you'll > find yourself secretly bopping up and down on your bed to this > record. The Johns Linnell and Flansburgh specialize in quirky, > stick-in-your-head pop songs, and this is one of the finest gatherings > of them they've ever called together. Ok, what is "silly alt-rock cred"? I'd put it aside if I knew what it was. I don't secretly bop to anything, really, I do it right in public so everyone knows I'm a They fan. Finest gatherings, feh! I hope the Johns put more stock in what we, Their loyal fan base thinks, than what mtv says. (Please?) Forget the past, all the > currently acceptable ingredients are here: they put the bop in > Weezer--even the Rentals probably copped their synth riffs more > from these guys than the Cars; they're geeky in that endearing way > that makes us all recognize the geek in ourselves; "exquisite dead > guy" is a lyric Marilyn Manson would probably think is cool. Hell, > they've even got angst, it just tends to come more from a Sebadoh > kind of place than from the Cobain/Vedder school. Marilyn Manson? Weezer? Rentals? I'm granted, not aware of who that last band is, but still, come on! This whole passage makes me itch. I don't know about that angst part, though. I never really saw Them as an angsty band. Maybe TYHFO...and what else? Still, that song doesn't scream angst to me. Of course, an mtv reviewer probably wouldn't know angst if it came up and introduced itself. And we > promise, not an accordion in earshot -- well, okay, maybe on one > song. Funny how this is the part we like the _least_ about this album. I think its the accordian that makes TMBG so grand. This reviewer probably thought the guitar solos were a nice touch. Ich! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:38:59 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver Hi all Now, I don't know how reliable this information is, so don't kill me. I was talking to a They fan last night, and she told me that there is a TMBG screen saver (or at least a screen saver with TMBG somewhere on it) for Windows 95. She said it came with something called The Windows 95 Plus Pack. She said you can buy it at any software store. She also told me that you could download it from the www.windows95.com webpage for free. I went to that page, and found the section related to screen savers (http://www.windows95.com/apps/savers.html), but none of the screen savers there mentioned TMBG directly. I don't run Windows 95, and don't think I ever will, so I really have no way of checking the screen savers that *might* have TMBG content on them, nor do I have any use to buy that Windows 95 Plus Pack. However, maybe some of you out there who use Win 95 could explore this a little more. But remember, I'm only the relaying information I've been given, so if this turns out to be untrue, don't come after me. The person who told me all this is named Amee. She lives in Alaska. I told her to join the list, and she said she would. She was nice. Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy As if you didn't already know... ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: RE: BOBA MAIL: Sensurround vs. TMHFO Date: Tue, 29 Oct 96 09:45:00 P ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-list Subject: BOBA MAIL: Sensurround vs. TMHFO Date: Friday, October 11, 1996 11:12AM > There's been some talk as to why Sensurround is not on this record. > I am personally under the opinion that it is not on there because > Til My Head Falls Off sounds so much like it. Any thoughts? I would not care, though. Sensurround is much better than Spiralling Shape, although SS is very good. If you had to pick one of the two soundtrack songs, I would definitely go with Sensurround. Tis rockin! Matt I think that they should have made I can hear you a Bside, and then put Sensurround on the album. why didn't they put all the songs that they are playing in concert on F s? Conterfiet Faker, I'm lost etc... Brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: RE: BOBA MAIL: Sensurround vs. TMHFO Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:52:18 -0500 (EST) > > ---------- > From: owner-tmbg-list > To: tmbg-list > Subject: BOBA MAIL: Sensurround vs. TMHFO > Date: Friday, October 11, 1996 11:12AM > > > There's been some talk as to why Sensurround is not on this record. > > I am personally under the opinion that it is not on there because > > Til My Head Falls Off sounds so much like it. Any thoughts? > I would not care, though. Sensurround is much better than Spiralling > Shape, although SS is very good. If you had to pick one of the two > soundtrack songs, I would definitely go with Sensurround. Tis rockin! > Matt I don't know if I've completely changed my mind about this but I do like Spiralling Shape a lot more than I used to. I haven't listened to Sensurround in a while so I'm not sure exactly which one I like more. > > I think that they should have made I can hear you a Bside, and then put > Sensurround on the album. why didn't they put all the songs that they are > playing in concert on F s? Conterfiet Faker, I'm lost etc... Word has it they might be holding out for Freaksickle so that they can put all of the new songs on there...although I have no idea if this will actually happen. You'll have to ask the Johns why they did this. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:15:20 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver i'm not sure, but she might mean the TMBG theme for Microsoft Plus!. I have it for my computer it's pretty neat. It's got cursors, sounds, wallpaper, and icons too. but sorry, no screen saver. but hey, there could be a screen saver somewhere, and i'll look like a jerk then! such is life. !?!@#$@#%%#$$^%@@^%$%^^^^$%&&&^%@@%$@#$%%@#$^^%$$$^^^^^$@$^#%&^%&@@$%^@%&$%&& Life is like a roller coaster. It has it's ups and downs, it's curves and it's loops. But every time you come up to the gate, it goes right through. It may slow down, but it never lets you get off. mci@tmbg.org a mind is a terrible thing. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:21:18 -0500 Subject: TMBG: lack of the english language; and string endings... > Moral of the Story?... Why go to hootie to se TMBG for 30 Min when > you can see the by their selfs for a hole set? Why would you rather see the band Hole and see TMBG for 30 minutes? It'd still be that same abmout of time! ;) J/K! :D >I'm sorry to say this but quiz bowls are gay. Oh jesus. How old are you, "exquisitedeadguy"? Nine? I would hope you would be past that stage. >"S-E-X-X-Y" would make >a good single if it wasn't quite so non-traditional (eg the >wierd string ending...kinda cute, but not a top 10 single >make). Well, on the radio, it ends with kinda like a "poof" feeling. No strings. They must have the single. :\ I've only heard the string ending version on the radio once, and it was from a high school station. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Kids: thinking is good; drugs are bad....Say no to Mister Hash-Dealer." - Kevin McDonald, KITH ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:38:35 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Moment In regard to ExquisiteDeadGuy's quiz bowl remark: What is your problem? Did you have some nightmarish Jeopardy incident as a child? If you don't have anything nice to say, well, at least make it little more eloquent than "gay" (not that there's anything wrong with that.) Hail quiz bowls! Long may they reign! Cory ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:01:03 -0500 Subject: TMBG: oh happy day.. "Go me, it's my birthday, go me.." Hehe..well, it's not my birthday. It's not today (But ironically it *is* my friend's birthday. Everyone email fy950@cleveland.freenet.edu and tell her happy birthday. She'll feel loved). Anyways, I called up my loved radio station this afternoon. In the afternoons, they broadcast from HS stations, which don't have playlists, and it's mostly requests (!). So I asked what TMBG they had, and he said "Uh, I have 'John Henry', and 'Apollo Thirteen' or something like that." And me, giggling inside, said "Oh great, can you play..Mammal?" and he did! Neato! I'm so happy. :) ~a girl with cotton in her ears, sarah. http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: "Anthony F. Portizo" Subject: TMBG: TMBG & MUSICIAN MAGAZINE Date: Tue, 29 Oct 96 15:57:10 EST HELLO ALL, I AM JUST WRITING IN CAPS SO THIS WILL BE NOTICED BUT IN THE LATEST ISSUE OF MUSICIAN(DEC. 1996, HAS PHISH ON THE COVER)...THERE ARE TWO GIANT RELATED ITEMS IN THE MAG....THE FIRST IS TOWARD THE BEGINNING AND IS A INTERVIEW WITH GRAMM MABY.....THE SECOND IS A SHORT SNIPPET ON TMBG ALBUM FACTORY SHOWROOM...THAT IS ALL....CHECK EM OUT IF YA WANT...... ANT...WHO DOESNT BELIEVE THAT A SINGLE WILL EVER COME OUT... -- ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: (Little TMBG Content) + Re: Mtv on TMBG...argh! From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:05:35 EST On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 10:36:15 -0600 mjs087@nwu.edu (Matthew Springer) writes: >P.S. TMBG content: did you know that Clive Langier and Alan Wistanley, who >produced five tracks on "Flood," also produced Elvis Costello's "Punch the >Clock" and Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Too-Rye-Ay" (which includes the single >"Come On Eileen") and Bush's "Sixteen Stone"? The first two are good CDs >and highly recommended for fans of "Flood." Langer and Wistanley also produced Madness' self-titled LP. Enjoyed by many. On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:55:56 -0500 (EST) Queen Sneepy writes: >Marilyn Manson? Weezer? Rentals? I'm granted, not aware of who that >last band is, but still, come on! Rentals: What you get when you combine half of Weezer and half of "that dog" with a bunch of moog synthesizers. Much like Weezer, you've heard it all when you've heard the singles. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:20:50 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: cd Hi everyone Did you know that They Might Be Giants are coming out with a new double cd on January 21. It's going to have 73 different songs on it. It's called Then: The Early Years. It's going to be great! Does anyone know who They're playing with in Milwaukee on the 30th of November? -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 17:36:38 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Credibility On Sunday, I replied to a particularly harsh flame of Ruprecht and me from one Ryan Stabib. In that flame, he spoke as if he was speaking for the list, and said Ruprecht's and my opinions weren't welcomed on the list. He also said that I have a tendancy to attack people personally. I denied these claims, and asked him to deliver proof. He didn't. I posted a message to the list asking him to e-mail me so that we could discuss this issue apart from the list. He didn't. I am *very* angry about this whole matter, and will not stop talking until it is resolved, or my head falls off, whichever comes first (TMBG Content). Please take a look at the whole matter for yourselves, and offer your opinions of this situation. I must reiterate that I am *very* angry, almost to the point of unsubscribing. This must be resolved. Your help is appreciated in this matter. --Dawg S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:33:22 -0500 From: mambaman@execpc.com (Michael Cairns) Subject: TMBG: Sorry Sorry everyone, I tried to e-mail my brother at work, but instead, posted to a list viewed by hundreds of people. If your a "true" They fan you'll have a sense of humor about this. Anyway, sorry again. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:36:04 -0500 From: mambaman@execpc.com (Michael Cairns) Subject: TMBG: Sorry Sorry everyone, I tried to e-mail my brother at work, but instead, posted to a list viewed by hundreds of people. If your a "true" They fan you'll have a sense of humor about this. Anyway, sorry again. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 18:07:42 -0500 From: BRAK Subject: TMBG: token back to brooklyn How can I hear token back to Brooklyn? I am so confused. Also, when is the SEXXY single coming out? Will somebody please helpme!!! I am desperate, and will do anything. -Matt, ye old unknowing one "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:42:05 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K > DAMN YOU! : D > ok, ok, so I'm not God, I'm his younger brother, Earl. You should get a t-shirt or something made up so we mere mortals don't get you two confused.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? PS Sorry about the sig.. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:55:47 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: How come... > Uh... I always thought it was about a particle or something... I can't > explain it, cause I don't know what it is. Well, I always found it to be the creation of the universe. Okay, first there's nothing. Then, because of faulty wiring, the big bang sort of jostles everything up. This would be in the 2-3 seconds between BAll and Chain and Particle Man on the CD. Then, in the song, there's the particle. NOt to complex. He bounces around for a while and we don't know why cause he's so small. Then things get more complex, and shapes emerge. Usually it's the dot (particle) to the line to the square, but since it's They, it's okay that a triangle was chosen. I alwasy liked triangels better than speling. So then the universe sort of pops up, and it's "usually kind to smaller men (in this case things other then men)". Hmm.. that would make a good song, eh? So then people come around, but compared to everything else that's already here, we're pretty boring and pathetic. More so tahn the particle. So then we try to explain everything. Since we don't understand the particle, we let people called "physicists" handle it and we go on to math, or the triangle. but the Triangle beats us up since we don't know alot about math either, such as dividing by zero or such. But we can't admit this, so we go on for a while and not say anything -- hence the accordian solo with no singing. Also the accordian after triangle man is the expansion of the universe. and the fight between triangle man and particle man is jsut because triangle man is mean and likes to steal lunch money from helpless particles. All of them are called "man" because we're antropomorphisizing (can you tell who just had a vocab quiz? =) all these events into acutal things we can comprehend. So, in a nutshell, the song Particle Man is about 2.35 seconds long. And it's eitehr about everything I jsut said -OR- it's jsut a bunch of gibberish and waht's it about? "..nobody knows.." Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 18:58:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Credibility At 05:36 PM 10/29/96 -0500, you wrote: > > >On Sunday, I replied to a particularly harsh flame of Ruprecht and me from >one Ryan Stabib. In that flame, he spoke as if he was speaking for the >list, and said Ruprecht's and my opinions weren't welcomed on the list. I'd like to say that yiur and Ruprecht's messages were some of the most intelligent on the list. It's refreshing to read a well-thought-out message after dozens of Top Fives, Who am I's, and Quiz Bowls Are Whatever. Thank you. And VIsit My Web Page!!! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 96 19:19 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Mtv on TMBG...argh! >Ok, what is "silly alt-rock cred"? I'd put it aside if I knew what it >was. I think that's what MTV has. Whatever it is. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics? Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 18:33:43 -0600 Well, i love the .wav of this song. and heres my attempt of the lyrics which are really hard to hear.... any help is appreciated! each night i run away (?) completely wrong a voice is calling my troubles (cant tell much at all, hear a "my" and the last few words repeat) i cant ignore it although i try (no idea at all) here's why, heres why the shadows gather round and the voice rings high (or "the voice resides" not sure) the secret injury of my immortal soul (pretty sure) indestructable (ends with able, not sure) reprehensible 1,000 years of unerasable acts ( or :an erasible act") (????? i think i hear permanent) the river of life (?) underneath the moonlight (??) this clearly is life (?????) and greedy is thy (?????) (no idea at all i think i hear a "seen") the pages of history indestructable (now it kinda sounds like indespensable) reprehensible night after night the voice recites my (esteem?) and simply is pleased (possibly displeased) and tells me that i wont remember a thing when morning comes at last i rub my eyes remember nothing and thinking only of myself, my (plan ?) the world is spinning round and i'm on the top and nothing in this world can ever make me stop indestructable ([bighouse???????] festavil???????? no idea!) reprehensible 1,000 years of unerasable acts ( or :an erasible act") and only i know who's responsible indespespenseible reprehensible (now sounds like indefenceable) reprehensible ME! AS much as i cant tell the lyrics i love this song.... Remember- it is residing in mr. flippys amazing page at... i cant remember.... uhh... something like www.yucc.ca/~flippy/ DID I GET IT????? well, it isn't hard to find........ well, i'm getting better about my not posting and my dotdotdoting..... other junk: spelling - sprialling... i hate the american spiraling! it looks wrong.... shouldn;t austrailian have 2 l's? i thought so but i saw it spelled how i did just now... i know it old... oh well.... You'll never guess whats gonna come next! I'll ruin the suspense its..... a SIG!!!!!!! which i will update before my next page _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:02:56 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Credibility et al >On Sunday I replied to a particularly harsh flame of Rupecht and me from >snip< >I'd like to say that yiur and Ruprecht's messages were some of the most >intelligent on the list. It' refreshing to read a well-thought-out message >after dozens of Top Fives, Who am I's, and Quiz Bowls Are Whatever. First fo Dawg (?) or whoever wrote the first part of the letter, if you wanted to keep it personal email, telling him to send the letter to you not the list, then why did you A. respond to HIM on the ist on sunday, and B. irritate the situation again today? Sorry, just getting sick of all the Flaming the Flamers for Flaming Flames (if ya know what I mean.) (I know I am doing it now, but hey, what the heck, everybody else is doing it, why can't I?) Second, for Even, does this How Many Of You Agree With Me strng have anymore TMBG, or intelligent content in it then the Who Am I's or Top Five's? I don't see it ... SJL ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Credibility Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 18:51:36 -0600 >>On Sunday, I replied to a particularly harsh flame of Ruprecht and me from >>one Ryan Stabib. In that flame, he spoke as if he was speaking for the >>list, and said Ruprecht's and my opinions weren't welcomed on the list. >I'd like to say that yiur and Ruprecht's messages were some of the most >intelligent on the list. It's refreshing to read a well-thought-out message >after dozens of Top Fives, Who am I's, and Quiz Bowls Are Whatever. >Thank you. And VIsit My Web Page!!! >Evan Chakroff I meant to post this same thing a while ago (there i go hesitating again) I think that Ruprect (which always takes me 30 secs to spell...) and BlueDawg. I am actually quite sad that ruprecht left, and i'm wondering if he was sick of us, being insulted, or he _had_ to leave. They seem to think out things better than everyone else and when ruprect was 'ruprect the ass' i was confused.... i sont see why everyone thought so, He said his opinions, they may not of agreed with all of ours. I always looked for their (bluedawg + ruprecht)posts first... I WANT EXPLANATIONS FOR WHY THEY ARE SO EVIL AND MEAN!!!! I'LL BELIVE YOU IF YOU POST ONE!!!!! And for my reprehenisble lyrics io just founf one line: night after night a voice resites my esteem -> and puts me to sleep and tellls me that i wont remember a thing After this message i turned down r. name spelling from 30 secs to 5! well.... i'm gonna make a new sig before posting this here it is ***************WARNING*************** That Jumble Of Words That Was Just Above Was Created By Wyatt Glodell I Can't Belive You Actually Read Through All Of It! If You Start Felling Dizzy Contact A Phisician Imedeatly! ************************************* "GO AHEAD, WRECK YOUR LIFE, THAT MIGHT BE GOOD" - They Might Be Giants WYATT GLODELL-------------------------------WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 19:32:22 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: silly hats Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > > >> "Get out of the car, put down the phone, take of that stupid looking hat > >> you wear." > > This line always reminds me of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books. > I think it's the first one where it talks about Dirk's hat, and about the > guy who always writes the horoscopes especially about Dirk. Er, I don't > have the book here, so this is really rather vague. But those of you > who've read the book probably know what I mean. > > Kirsten First, silly hats rule (my favorite? an embroidered SPAM baseball cap)! And I've read some of the Dirk Gently books, but I don't remember any hat. Anyone dig the book up and check? Simon Koch Rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:00:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG:do you hear the radio? HAHAHA!!!!! YES!!!!!! allow me to explain... i have never heard tmbg on the radio,no one in my stinking school/town knows who they are,but,my friend charles,last night heard S-E-X-X-Y, and earlier today he heard SNAIL SHELL on 92.3 k-rock!!!!!!!!! im so happ happ happy!!!!! the dj even reffered to them as "brooklyns ambassadors of love"!! ahhh. well thank you for your time jordan "tmbg concerts would be better if they had some caged whores" --my friend hansel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:16:08 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Credibility et al On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU wrote: > First fo Dawg (?) or whoever wrote the first part of the letter, if you wanted > to keep it personal email, telling him to send the letter to you not the list, > then why did you A. respond to HIM on the ist on sunday, and B. irritate the > situation again today? Sorry, just getting sick of all the Flaming the Flamers > for Flaming Flames (if ya know what I mean.) (I know I am doing it now, but > hey, what the heck, everybody else is doing it, why can't I?) Look. He embarassed me on the *list*. I challenged him to produce evidence of his facts, or apologize to the *list*. This is definately a list thing. I would have taken steps via private e-mail to get him to apologize to me and Rup via the list. However, he won't answer me...I find it cowardly. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:18:53 -0500 From: kelly marks Subject: TMBG: Tour dates please, Please, PLEASE will somebody tell me where they are getting their tour dates from?!? I've checked all sorts of sites and no one goes past the middle of November- where did December come from? (the dates, I'm not too interested in the oriign of the month) I have yet to see my favorite band play live and I really don't want to have an emotional breakdown because I missed them once again. I would be ever so grateful if someone could offer a helpful hint...Thanks =) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:21:31 -0500 From: kelly marks Subject: TMBG: re:tour dates Please ignore my message-I just checked tmbg.com and I found December. All right. I am a biscuit. Oh, If anyone hears about an NC show, please share... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:02:48 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics? > and heres my attempt of the lyrics which are really hard to >hear.... any help is appreciated! > > An attempt at the lyrics that seems to be pretty close is at www.tmbg.org. Look on the lyrics page down below the albums, in the "unreleased" section. Send corrections for this or any other song to me or to . -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:54:40 -0500 From: Bill Laird Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-296 > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-Oct-96 TMBG: HORAAAAY! by Bill > Laird@tmbg.ORG > > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS > > with Cub > > Thursday. December 5, 8:00pm; $16.50/17.50 > > at Bogarts- Cincinnati, OH > > Where are people getting tour dates from? The "official" home page > doesn't have updated dates yet, but everyone here is discussing where > they are next. I don't want to miss them when they come through > Pittsburgh... I got this news from the official Bogarts home page. (Bogarts being the club that They are playing at) SenSurround ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Kansas City From: thatoneguy2@juno.com (Kevin M Poe) Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:38:11 EST I just got information for the TMBG concert in Missouri next month. They Might Be Giants Wednesday, November 27 at 7:30 pm Memorial Hall, Kasas City, MO. Tickets are $15 each to order call 1-(816)-931-3330 If anyone from the list is going, please let me know, I'm looking foward to meeting some of you guys, and of course seeing Them. "Remember, two wrongs do not make a right, but three rights make a left." - ?(I don't know) thatoneguy2@juno.com (KEVIN) ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:02:27 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: cd's i would like to know where i could get the live in new york cd, the DAS tape and the guitar single(unavailable through the catalog), also i would like the dr spocks back up band bootleg. can anyone help me? email: pholler@jcs1.jcstate.edu ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Credibility et al From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:19:25 EST On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:16:08 -0500 (GMT-0500) BlueDawg writes: >Look. He embarassed me on the *list*. I challenged him to produce >evidence of his facts, or apologize to the *list*. This is definately a >list thing. I would have taken steps via private e-mail to get him to >apologize to me and Rup via the list. However, he won't answer me...I >find it cowardly. This is a matter of self-defense as opposed to flaming. A list response to an unspecific personal list attack is warranted by any stretch of the imagination. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: TOUR DATES ON WEB Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:22:30 -0500 (EST) Trying to avoid the 20 questions by using a catchy subject. New tour dates are at http://www.tmbg.com/, go to news, then tour info. While I'm writing a message anyway I'll say something re: flaming. The only way to get rid of flames and other useless messages is not to write them. As far as I'm concerned the 20 people complaining about them are as bad as the few people who wrote them in the first place. It can be more powerful to not say anything at all, not to mention save a lot of time and bandwidth. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:34:42 -0600 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: Milwaukee Show The tickets for the November 30 show in Milwaukee were on sale today, I know the Rave said they wouldn't be on sale until this Saturday, but I called Ticketmaster and they said they were on sale today, and I was able to order mine through the charge number for Ticketmaster so they are definitely on sale! Linda ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: End of Hello? Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:59:10 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck > > I read a distressing bit of info on the list a few days agao. No one has > commented so i will raise the subject again. > > In an interview with linnell, he made the comment that the Hello > recording club was not going to be a viable entity much longer > (paraphrased). Does anyone have any further info on this? Will we ever > see "House of mayors? If the Flansburgh/Galen partnership floundering? > Has anyone recd mail from hellocd@aol.com? And what about Naomi? > Since I was the one who posted this stuff originally, I thought that I might as well get to work on transcribing the interview (half way done, should be done by the weekend, then I will post it). Anyway, here is what Linnell said when I asked him if he had any plans to release anymore stuff for Hello: "I think that John may be folding up shop for Hello sometime soon. It's his, he and Majorie Galen are the people who run Hello and I think that he is planning on stopping Hello next year, as far as I know. But the Mayors CD will be coming out pretty soon, if it's not already out." ------------------ "S-E-X-X-Y" is on the radio. For the second time in 3 hours. I wish TMBG was coming to town everyday. They are only doing this because They are opening for Hootie tomorrow night. Oh, well. Wait, why must I be sad? I will see Them tomorrow night! Hooray! 14 rows from the stage! Woohoo! Aaron P.S. To all of you who wrote and wanted to trade for the interview, I will be writing back soon. I have to wade thru all of the requests. -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Check out the Herald Online: http://www.badgerherald.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 23:16:12 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y, MTV & OAT > Like Kathleen said...the flames here are pretty minor compared to >elsewhere. Someone went off on Clinton in the XTC/Chalkhills Group and >it got UGLY...at least I think that was what it was about. Actually, IMHO Chalkhills is probably the nicest, politest, coolest mailing list I've ever been on. Haven't seen a full-scale flamewar yet. >I'm sorry to say this but quiz bowls are gay. I don't know which I find more offensive, the idea that "Quiz Bowls" and the like are stupid or the fact that you tried to use "gay" as an insult. >BTW, perhaps they say the song is about 'getting it on' so it will sell >better. Wouldn't want to get too deep for the great unwashed record-buying >public. Well, you have to admit that that is just what the song seems to be about. Think of the lyrics: "Standing on the bed, cookie in one hand, wig on her head...." The words "come hither" come to mind. >Forget the past, all the >currently acceptable ingredients are here: It's amazing how damning this is to MTV and the culture it has spawned. Basically what this review is saying is "It's okay right now to like TMBG because they sound like the other bands who are popular right now." Nothing about how TMBG is actually a good band, or anything like that...noooooo, MTV people don't care about whether a record is actually *good.* /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 00:13:16 -0500 (EST) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirk Gently On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Jon Vile wrote: > Sorry about the last one, the machine fucked up. > >> "Get out of the car, put down the phone, take of that stupid > >> looking hat you wear." > > > This line always reminds me of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books. I Yep, I think I can recall the line. > Johns were looking in at my life at that point. I wear a silly hat > that looks like something from Indiana Jones all the time, and she > would just called it stupid-looking. I like silly hats too Sarah. It's called a fedora, and I wish I had one. I just happen to look good in hats. Weird, eh? I also have a WordWar 2 doughboy helmet, but I can't wear it cuz it's too small. Bummer. The curse of a large head. At least my Akubra fits. > > I'm in a funny mood today, sorry. Don't be, I go through weeks like that. Sorry for the near complete (would be complete if I didn't add this line) near complete lack of TMBG content in this post. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 00:14:25 -0500 (EST) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, M.C.I. wrote: > i'm not sure, but she might mean the TMBG theme for Microsoft Plus!. I > have it for my computer it's pretty neat. It's got cursors, sounds, > wallpaper, and icons too. but sorry, no screen saver. but hey, there could > be a screen saver somewhere, and i'll look like a jerk then! such is life. > You have that? I've been looking ages for it! -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 00:35:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: NYC In-store @ Tower Records Greetings all. For those of you fortunate to live in the great city of NY, I recommend picking up a copy of this week's Village Voice. (Green cover, "The Drug Models Love" is on the cover.) On page 33 of the "Voice Choices" section is a _really_ hip TMBG ad. Listed in the ad is the long-awaited information concerning Their NYC in-store appearance. When: November 7, 4 PM Where: Tower Records @ Broadway and W. 4th. It looks like I will not be attending, due to a conflict with my Senior Thesis film production class. But I encourage all of you to walk by the Tisch School of the Arts building at Broadway and Waverly and wave towards the upper floors, because that's where I'll be. (Or if you see someone standing outside the building who has purple hair, is wearing black, and is drinking coffee, say hello. I'm not as upset with the world as I sometimes look, I promise.) And _STILL more_ TMBG news: The ad also says that Andy Richter, who is much cooler than Conan could ever hope to be, will be emcee-ing the Roseland show. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: FS Hidden Track From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 23:17:34 EST There has been some talk of what the hidden track works with, so here's what i've found: Sony Discman ESP - Works fine RCA Single CD Player - Works fine Casio CD-600 - Works the best Sony PlayStation CD Player - Works fine Creative Labs Hex Speed CD-ROM / Windows '95 CD Player - Barely works JVC XL-V114 - TRACK ONE DOES NOT PLAY AT ALL (You must forward to track two, then search back all the way through track one) +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 00:58:43 -0500 (EST) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics?/Other stuff Hi. I would like to publicly apologise for the unintelligibility of the Reprehensible lyrics on the .wav of the song on my web page. It's really the best we can do at this point, and we figured what the hell, we'll leave it on. I bet if you listen to the song one or two hundred times you'll figure out what he's saying. Besides it's worth it for the clarinet solo. I was just listening to a concert tape from a month or so ago and on it Flans introduces She's Actual Size by saying they had re-recorded it and it was to be on Factory Showroom. Can anyone corroborate this? Is there a new studio version of She's Actual Size? Finally, I heard a tape of a song called The Edison Museum which is credited to TMBG but it sounds like Brian Dewan singing. Does anyone know anything about this song? And my last question, for the lovely lounge suite you see before you, when was the Battle of Hastings??? You have one minute to answer. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-297 ******************************