Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-298 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 298 Thursday, 31 October 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re:Shan't , Gay Quiz Bowls, MTV reviews, All Reviews... TMBG:TMBG tour date goof on TMBG Com TMBG: On Sega CD TMBG: Milwaukee Show (none) Re: TMBG: On Sega CD Re: TMBG: Particle Man TMBG: Thank You Beautiful People (none) TMBG: Misc TMBG: TOUR DATES TMBG: Re: your mail Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics?/Other stuff Re: TMBG: Re: triptophane TMBG: BOBA MAIL: RE:String ending/S-E-X-X-Y TMBG: another review Re: TMBG: Particle Man TMBG: Misc TMBG: concert dates, the cincinnati show, & the great blue dawg & ruprecht debate Re: TMBG: Misc TMBG: Post Thanksgiving Dates TMBG: I mean this sincerely TMBG: Re: YMM Demo Lyrics TMBG: silly alt-rock cred TMBG: Re: TMBG Screen Saver TMBG: Re:Credibility et al TMBG: You'll Miss Me, THE TICK, etc TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y!!! Where is it? TMBG: Tick TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y!!! Where is it? TMBG: kids in the hall TMBG: The Omaha show that Tara missed. :( TMBG: TMBG or Mono Puff in NYC in March? TMBG: Re: A Snowball in Mailing-List Hell TMBG: if i wasn't shy Re: TMBG: Particle Man Re: TMBG: silly alt-rock cred Re: TMBG: silly alt-rock creEd Re: TMBG: Misc TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: Particle Man TMBG: 'Bout the incident Re: TMBG: silly alt-rock creEd (none) TMBG: Mark Marek and my pumpkin TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver TMBG: Sorry People. Re: TMBG: TOUR DATES ON WEB (none) Re: TMBG: 'Bout the incident Re: TMBG: 'Bout the incident TMBG: TMBG-shirts Re: TMBG: Particle Man TMBG: minneapolis TMBG: shirts TMBG: Re:'Bout the incident Re: TMBG: minneapolis TMBG: sorry TMBG: does XTC sing this? Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics?/Other stuff Re: TMBG: silly hats TMBG: Re: On-line Nov. 6 TMBG: cleveland Re: TMBG: kids in the hall TMBG: SpinOnline chat November 7, 9PM. TMBG: Just saw Them... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:54:16 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Re:Shan't , Gay Quiz Bowls, MTV reviews, All Reviews... Re: Shan't Okay I figured there was supposed to be an apostrophe in there but I figured screw it. And yes I use several archaic or dated words. I may be the only person alive who says "Land o' goshen" (sp?) on occasion. Re:Gay Quiz Bowls to the person who took offense...I believe when one calls something gay one usually means that said thing is...in their opinion...stupid or queer or lame. At least it was when I was in High School. Now if someone said quizbowls were for c***s****** faggots then that would be another story. re:MTV's review of FS.... Jessica surely you didn't expect serious rock criticism from a commercial site. Especially an MTV one. But I admit I was horrified by your post. I would speculate that whoever wrote that shit might not even be a critic or anything at all. It sounds like an intern wrote it as an exercise or some outside web site developer who did research into what's "hip". He/She was told to use as many references to other bands as possible or something to help promote the channel. truly sickening. MTV has no credibility these days...save for Kurt Loder...but it was inevitable it would become lame. there are far too many forces in the music business and the Viacom corporate empire that have over the years conspired to bring MTV to this sorry state. I guess it's fate was sealed when it surrendered to industry blackmailing them to playing Pop R&B like Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson (Yes Columbia threatened to boycott if MTV didn't play his videos...in those days when CBS records talked...you listened). MTV was supposed to be about rock but instead it had to be about every kind of music. Now it doesn't even seem to be about music at all. Every time I turn it on it's Singled Out or Road Rules. As far as the tone of the review it's sad to say that it's not the only one I've read like that. The only way to get taken seriously by critics is sing about angst ridden topics. If you sing about snowballs in hell you're in big trouble. You tend to get "aren't they wacky?" reviews from MTV or write-ups like every review of their stuff I remember reading in Rolling Stone...which dismissed Flood by claiming "the joke had gotten old." What...if you sing about surreal stuff you're a joke? What about Jefferson Airplane? Or the Beatles? Were they less of a serious band because they wrote some songs about blackbirds, bulldogs, and truffels? At least the new Billboard was kind. But their editorial policy is to like everything lest a record label not advertise in their magazine. The worst they ever get is saying that an album should appeal to a band's cult following...which is their way of saying nobody else would buy it. Incidentally after two weeks on the chart FS is #169 or something like that. Get that single on the air! I haven't heard it on the radio and it's not even on the Modern Rock tracks chart...which has every alt. radio song on it. God I hate people (except you all). I'm going to bed. Herne ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:05:46 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG:TMBG tour date goof on TMBG Com I was checking tour dates at TMBG.com and I noticed it listed a concert in L.A. on 11/22 but said it took place at the ASI Center. the next date listed had them in San Diego at the El Rey. I think it's the other way around as the El Rey is here in L.A. and I've never heard of that other place. Oh well...I posted Mr. Leo B. about it but I though I would mention it here as well. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:44:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: On Sega CD Hello 41- I was having a dream last night (it happens) and I remember something TMBG did that I am not sure anybody knows about... Remember Sega CD? I don't know how long it lasted or anything, but I remember my best friend had it. The little audio CD sampler that came with it had Mammal on it. I remember this, but does anybody else? Adam ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Milwaukee Show Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 06:10:48 -0600 I'm wondering, the milwaukee show on november 30 (sat.) I dont know if i should try despratly to go or not... i live about 2 hours from miluakee in baraboo and i doubt if i will get a ride. If there is a good chance that they'll play in Madison some time then i wont go to this one (getting a ride would be insanely hard!) Well, thats it for now. ***************WARNING*************** That Jumble Of Words That Was Just Above Was Created By Wyatt Glodell I Can't Belive You Actually Read Through All Of It! If You Start Felling Dizzy Contact A Phisician Imedeatly! ************************************* "GO AHEAD, WRECK YOUR LIFE, THAT MIGHT BE GOOD" - They Might Be Giants WYATT GLODELL-------------------------------WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:26:36 EST I just found out that They are coming to the Roxy in Atlanta on December 8th (I am so excited!!). Anyone else going? Does anyone know when tickets go on sale? Also, my husband found out that They are going to be chatting on another web site ( I forget what it's called) on the 6th at around 5pm or 6pm. Does anyone know anything about this? Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:48:17 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: On Sega CD At 04:44 AM 10/30/96 -0500, NitpickR@aol.com wrote: >Hello 41- > >I was having a dream last night (it happens) and I remember something TMBG >did that I am not sure anybody knows about... > >Remember Sega CD? I don't know how long it lasted or anything, but I >remember my best friend had it. The little audio CD sampler that came with >it had Mammal on it. I remember this, but does anybody else? > >Adam > > Yes I do remember Sega CD (It's still sitting in my basement; you can't give those things away!) Do you mean the CD+G Sampler w/ crappy graphics to accompany the crappy music? Or was there another music-only CD? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:54:27 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: Particle Man On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:56:33 +0000 Jon Vile wrote: > > > Anyone out there do physics? > > Triangle of Forces? > Particle intercepted by a traingle of atomic forces? > > Am I making any sense? > I know I am. > > Does this song have anything to do with the old Spiderman theme > tune? > > Have a nice day guys! My mate Mark who was kind enough to introduce me to the world of Them told me a very interesting theory about particle man only last night. When I say interesting I probably only mean that I'm half way to understanding what he's talking about ( I get confused easily.....). Anyway, He reckons that each character represents a pioneer in 'modern thinking' Universe man is Gallilao (or however you spell it) Triangle man is Pythagoras and Particle man is an important person involved in the discovery of atoms (who?) although I'm not quite sure who person man is. Anyway, he reckons the song is about these people fighting over who has the most credibility. I haven't sat down and thought about it properly yet, But I'm sure it makes sense. And HIS friend just thinks it's 2 guys writing nonsense but we're not having any of it. So there you go. Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:06:44 -0500 From: BRAK Subject: TMBG: Thank You Beautiful People I would just like to thank all of those beautiful people who sent me e-mail about token back to Brooklyn. I now know the true magic of cds and will forever be indebted to you all. I am goiong to listen to it many, many times now until I am full of so much love for the world that I'll just burst. Happy day! Oh! so happy day! -Matt "I have to work on Halloween! What the (numerous colorful expletives)!!!! -Me "Everything right is" better ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:14:55 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner >I never really saw Them as an >angsty band. Maybe TYHFO...and what else? Oh, there's some angst there, for sure. Narrow Your Eyes? The End of the Tour? Why are all the angsty songs my favorites? >I think that they should have made I can hear you a Bside, and then put >Sensurround on the album. why didn't they put all the songs that they are >playing in concert on F s? Conterfiet Faker, I'm lost etc... Once again, for those who weren't paying attention earlier: Pat Dillett and They Might Be Giants came to the mutual decision that the remaining mini-tour songs had a "common feel" and that they worked better as a whole than apart. So, rather than breaking up either of the two "units" of songs (one being what eventually became FS, the other being the mini-tour songs), they decided to save the mini-tour songs for later use, whether as an EP or the core of a new album. >Word has it they might be holding out for Freaksickle so that they can >put all of the new songs on there...although I have no idea if this will >actually happen. That *was* the original plan. Right now, Pat is pushing for them to be saved until they can lay down another ten or so tracks next year and release a brand-new album, but he says that a "Mini-Tour EP" containing just these seven songs is "not out of the question." >And I've read some of the Dirk Gently books, but I don't remember any >hat. Anyone dig the book up and check? I'm not going to find the page right now, but the main character-guy in the first book described the way that the silly hat Dirk always wore "was like it was balanced on gimbals" -- that is, no matter how Dirk moved his head, the hat would stay perfectly level and parallel to the ground. And in TMBG-Content-Land: Yes, I know that everybody hates the song "You'll Miss Me." But let's talk about it anyway. The abrasive music tends to hide the lyrics, which is probably why this song has been so overlooked. If you want to convince someone that TMBG is a "serious" band, all you need to do is play them the demo of this song. IMHO, this is the most mean, vindictive, fuck-you song They Might Be Giants have ever, or ever will record. John Flansburgh has said, "Look at You'll Miss Me. It's a very mean song. I don't think we'd do a song like that now." Does anyone have any opinions to share on this song? The lyrics may not require much interpretation, but hooo-boy, they pack a wallop. BTW, anyone out there figure out the lyrics to the demo (the spot where they deviate from the Lincoln version is hard to understand...) On a similar note, is anyone else a fan of "If I Wasn't Shy"? I realize that, again, no one seems to like this, and the music is pretty weak. But the lyrics are just so true -- anyone who's ever been shy knows what I'm talking about here. A nice, whimsical, but insightful commentary on shyness. Or whatever. :) One last thing: we should come up with a canonical list of who each fingertip is supposed to parody. All I can think of off the top of my head is that "I walk along darkened corridors" is supposed to be Morrissey, is it not? /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:28:58 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Misc Does anyone have a copy of counterfeit faker? I'd really like to hear this song....any form will do... On the tmbg.com list under news; tour info...the locations are a bit messed up...I know the Agora Ballroom goes with the cleveland show not the cincinatti show....just thought I'd make that comment... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: TOUR DATES Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:32:58 -0500 (EST) I have discovered the problem with the tour dates on http://www.tmbg.com/. Those HTML experts might want to look at the source, it becomes rather obvious what was done wrong. I've sent a note off to the approprate people to fix it up, hopefully they will fix it soon. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:44:10 -0600 (CST) > Yes, I know that everybody hates the song "You'll Miss Me." But let's talk That's actually been one of my fav. TMBG songs... It's got such an unfinished, rough feel to it, and it's so disjoint. Hrm. Don't really have much to say on it beyond that, I'm afraid. > On a similar note, is anyone else a fan of "If I Wasn't Shy"? I realize Again, I don't have much to say about it, but I _do_ like that song a lot. ;) -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by EGGPLANT / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics?/Other stuff Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:50:06 -0500 (EST) Heya Mike, The Edison Museum was sung by Nick Hill at the Edison Museum. Word has it Brian Dewan, Nick Hill, and John Linnell wrote this song in like 1991. I think I remembered that correctly. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:59:14 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: triptophane >Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:11:54 -0400 >From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >To: J Mathews >cc: Lactose Intolerance Anonymous >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: triptophane > edit > >NYC, which was performed by Mono Puff before it was decided to be a TMBG >song. > I don't know that I'm comvinced about this. At the time that Mono Puff began performing this live (late June), Factory Showroom was already "in the can." I recall John saying at MP's Boston show on 6/25 (to all 60 of us in attendence) that all the recording for FS was done and introduced NYC as a song from that upcoming TMBG album. Also, although the line up looks similar to MP's (ie Flans, Calhoon and Cragin) it also employs Frank Black's lead guitarist Lyle Workman (who appears nowhere on the Unsupervised credits) and there's no saying that Linnell isn't in there somewhere as well. NYC performed by MP, indeed. But I believe it was a TMBG song first (or second really, after cub - or The Cubs as Linnell refers to them in an interview posted here recently. Anyone know what instruments Ryan Sandburg, Mark Grace and Sammy Sousa played on that?). KOK ------------------------------ From: "BOBA Dole" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:09:13 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: RE:String ending/S-E-X-X-Y > Leo wrote: > >"S-E-X-X-Y" would make > >a good single if it wasn't quite so non-traditional (eg the > >wierd string ending...kinda cute, but not a top 10 single > >make). > > Au contraire, my dear. Au contraire to both of you, the string ending is not on the single mix! Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND: "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: another review Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:24:57 EST This came out in yesterday (Tuesday)'s edition of the Tech (school newspaper) Although it's sort of late, it's probably the only review of FS that doesn't mention S-E-X-X-Y!! (sorry for any typos) THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS: Factory Showroom by Joel Rosenberg If you've never heard TMBG, you're missing a valuable musical niche in your life only they can fill. Nobody else can pull off such catchy tunes with such intelligetn lyrics and playfully experiental music. The new album, Factory Showroom, holds true to what the Johns have given us before. They've added a band, along with full horns and strings on certain selections, and it sounds great. The topics for the songs range from recreational beach treasure hunting in "Metal detector" to 11th President fo the United States "James K. Polk" (factually accrate, of course) to a fictitious rivalry between '80s rock icons "XTC vs. Adam ANt." The song "New York City" deserves to rank right up there with Sinatra or Bernstein in the I LOVE NY propaganda department. In keeping with their wacky avant-garde shtick ("FIngertips" of of Apollo 18, "Minimum Wage" on Flood), for this outing they recorded "I Can Hear You" at the Edison Historic Site in West Orange, NJ on an Edison war cylinder recorder. You'll know why people love TMBG when you hear it. just wanted to share that with you...jan. ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: Particle Man Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:41:51 EST I think the third guy (particle man) is Niels Bohr (bohr atomic model) or maybe Rutherford or Sommerfield (quantum mechanics) or maybe some one else. that's pretty cool though, although if Bohr is particle man, he's "beaten" by Sommerfield and the other guys who did quantum mech. but i think that they probably meant bohr b/c of the atom buisiness... ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Misc Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:51:15 -0500 (EST) > Does anyone have a copy of counterfeit faker? > I'd really like to hear this song....any form will do... Counterfeit Faker is on PODAS, Counterfeit Fake is on the e-town show. Are you talking about the old old FakeR or the new Fake? > > On the tmbg.com list under news; tour info...the locations are a bit messed > up...I know the Agora Ballroom goes with the cleveland show not the > cincinatti show....just thought I'd make that comment... The venues have been shifted down one for some reason, so just look in the row below the date and you'll see where the shows are. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:24:23 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: concert dates, the cincinnati show, & the great blue dawg & ruprecht debate concert dates: the official website has a lot of the dates... but when we as people of the list hear of a date we (being the good fans we are) tell the rest of you about it. some of us have ties to the local radio stations, newspapers, clubs, etc. or sometimes we're just lucky and hear it/see it somewhere. we have no special mind reading powers... or do we? the cincy show: don't forget to email me if you are going to be there!!!! dec 5th @ bogarts. so far we've got... myself, bob palindrome bob, stefanie "queen sneepy" elliot, amy "cowtown", & bill "sensurround". (along with the people they are coming with who aren't listies) the great blue dawg & ruprecht debate: i support blue dawg & ruprecht... everyone knows that these 2 tend to stir up the place a little bit, but i like to do that too (the great buttknob incident for those of you who've been around awhile). flaming over this list is bad! it just causes more junk mail for people to read (i just attach my junk mail to important tmbg related topics) we've all seen even the best of our fellow listies lash out at someone. (i've done it more than once) we've all had our gripes with people (blue dawg, i believe we've butted heads on more than one occasion) blue dawg don't quit the list, i'm going to have to go over what was said... i've been out of town and have about 5 days worth of list to catch up on... but i for one was not spoken for... in the meantime all of you list newbies (and i know in the past 3 months there must be a million of you) please stop the flaming. no one benefits from a flame and anyone who isn't a newbie should already know this. leo is doing a lot for us by having this list and we should all respect him and the concept that we are all here for one common reason... we love they and we want to talk about they. (climbs down off soapbox) -- Green Jello "Stand on your own head for a change, give me some skin to call my own" - tmbg http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:04:48 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Counterfeit Faker is on PODAS, Counterfeit Fake is on the e-town show. > Are you talking about the old old FakeR or the new Fake? You've got these reversed. I think he wants Counterfit Faker, which is the newer song. > The venues have been shifted down one for some reason, so just look in > the row below the date and you'll see where the shows are. Well, they have each list arranged so that there is one space between each line. However, they failed to take into account that the first two columns have only one-line entries, while the third column has 2 two-line entries, which magically shifts each venue down past its city location. This doesn't happen at the very top of the list though, so be careful in where you decide to look at the next venue. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:10:53 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Post Thanksgiving Dates I found 2 TMBG concert dates at the Ticketmaster site that most people may not know about.... Sat 12/7: Nashville TN- 328 Performance Hall 8pm Sun 12/8: Atlanta GA- Roxy Theatre 8pm Prices were not listed. Craig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:07:29 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: TMBG: I mean this sincerely I'm posting this to both the newsgroup and the mailing list because I have posted t them both. I, James Puellmann, hereby declare that I will no longer post flames to the TMBG newsgroup or mailing list. If I feel the need to strongly disagree with someone on a point, I will post, but I WILL NOT FLAME! I do believe in disagreements, but flames are abusive to people who have to read them, especially if they didn't feel the need to flame themselves. If the need ever arises to reply harshly, I promise you I will send a private email to the offending party. No longer will other TMBG fans have to put up with flames from James @ MU. I thank you for reading this and I encourage other TMBG fans who want to regain control of these discussions to do the same. Flames are an unecessary part of internet life and I know if we all try hard enough, we can attain a flame-proof email society here. Let's show the flamers they're not respected here. Let's ignore those who would instigate crossfire and dissent. Sincerely, James @ MU ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:19:55 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG: Re: YMM Demo Lyrics >wallop. BTW, anyone out there figure out the lyrics to the demo (the spot >where they deviate from the Lincoln version is hard to understand...) Check www.tmbg.org for all your lyrics questions! From the website, the lyrics for the demo version of You'll Miss Me: Album 1985 Demo Tape Time 1:48 Sung By John Flansburgh/John Linnell You'll always miss my big old body In its prime and never shoddy While bloodhounds wait down in the lobby You'll eulogize my big old body You'll miss me with effigies Lighting up your house like Xmas trees As tears roll down below your knees You'll miss me with effigies Go find a man to fit my shoes Left one's old and the right one's new And I bought the right one just for you Go find a man to fit my shoes You kill me with the way you talk Morticians wait with a shovel and a fork When I remain sitting on this fence My mind a blur of common sense You'll see my teeth in the stars above Every tree a finger of my glove And every time push comes to shove You'll see my teeth in the stars above Your money talks but my genius walks No one to blame, and it's not my fault As detectives trace my hands with chalk Your money talks but my genius walks You'll miss me so You'll miss me You'll miss me, but I'm already dead It must be raining because a man ain't supposed to cry But I look up and I don't see a cloud It must be raining because a man ain't supposed to cry But I look up and I don't see a cloud Anywhere -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:22:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: silly alt-rock cred >>>Ok, what is "silly alt-rock cred"? I'd put it aside if I knew what it >was.<< "I can't explain it, cause I don't know what it is! That guys a nut right?" I don't know either. Maybe it's slang? It's like those gosh darn magazines that substitute the word "parents" with "rents" and "vacation" with "vaca" thinking they're so hip 'n' cool to copy the movie Clueless. Sad part is, so many Clueless people out there actually follow it.. ::sigh:: Glad I'm not one. :) Or maybe it's a typo, and he meant "alt-rock crud" (ie..Alanis *shudder*; Green Day; and um, yeah..see I wouldn't know what else ..Bush?) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Would a rat work for minimum wage; and wear a stupid purple uniform voluntarily?" - Scott Thompson, KITH ------------------------------ Date: 30 Oct 1996 11:10:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Screen Saver Organization: puppet head Andrew Chapman wrote: > > i'm not sure, but she might mean the TMBG theme for Microsoft Plus!. I > > have it for my computer it's pretty neat. It's got cursors, sounds, > > wallpaper, and icons too. but sorry, no screen saver. but hey, there could > > be a screen saver somewhere, and i'll look like a jerk then! such is life. > You have that? I've been looking ages for it! I think ftp.tmbg.org has it (actually two!). _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:32:04 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re:Credibility et al >Look. He embarassed me on the *list*. I challenged him to produce >evidence of his facts, or apologize to the *list*. This is definately a Sorry. I thought in your message you had said you asked him to email you privately. Lookingt back, I realize that is not what you said. I agree with you here, then. This is a case of protecting your character that someone else has attacked. It is list-worthy, and list-needed since those that will be miss led by his comments are here. I am sorry for not paying full attention to your message. SJL ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:44:19 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: You'll Miss Me, THE TICK, etc > > Yes, I know that everybody hates the song "You'll Miss Me." But let's talk about it anyway. > /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ I happen to really like this song. In fact I seem to like really mean vicious songs quite often. Hmmm... Have any of you ever seen a movie from the '70s called "The Phantom Of The Paradise"? This is a great, classic cheesy type parody of The Phantom of the Opera. Duuh. Anyway, The creature in the movie is a huge Glitter Rock star named Beef and he is hilarious! The point is that his singing voice is EXACTLY like the vocal style in You'll miss me. if the Johns didn't see this movie and take that style for YMM I would be very suprised! Do try to rent a copy of this movie, I think you guys would really like it. As far as other things that most TMBG fans seem to like- The TICK is the greatest! If you have only seen the cartoon I urge you to read the comic books if you can find them. The first series 1-6 are the originals and are beyond description. (They can be bought in an anthology version from New England Comics. I can find them here, if you cant, email me) Beautifully drawn, hilariously funny and clever. We are as big of fans of the TICK as TMBG so I was really suprised and happy to see the references! We are proud owners of the original first editions of these comics alond with Paul the Samuri and the Man Eating Cow comics. We love the cartoon but the comics are true classics. And yes, we love "Pete and Pete" and its theme song! I also really like If I Wasn't Shy primarily for the "burn all the Ask Me buttons" line. I used to want to do that too. I knew a LOT of people that wore them! And I think that "Narrow Your Eyes" would fit nicely on any early Beatles album. I love that unloved song too. Well that about covers it for now! Kathleen ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y!!! Where is it? Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:34:48 GMT I've been looking for the Single for the past two days and no one seems to have it. Has anyone gotten it yet? Just curious. Joey ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Tick Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:44:18 -0500 (EST) > As far as other things that most TMBG fans seem to like- The TICK > is the greatest! If you have only seen the cartoon I urge you to read > the comic books if you can find them. The first series 1-6 are the > originals and are beyond description. (They can be bought in an > anthology version from New England Comics. I can find them here, if you I used to get the New England Comics catalog (creator of the Tick) in the mid-80s and I saw this Tick comic come along and thought...hmm maybe I should get it, kinda cool. Then I thought it was just some really stupid publicity stunt for N.E.C. So I never bought them. I wish I had, I love the Tick (although i haven't seen many of his shows as it's Saturday morning and I happen to be slumbering away then). Ahh to be young and foolish. Are those originals worth anything? I think they sold for a couple dollars at the time, maybe $1. Woulda been a neat novelty item. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y!!! Where is it? Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:46:19 -0500 (EST) > I've been looking for the Single for the past two days and no one > seems to have it. Has anyone gotten it yet? Just curious. Supposedly it's been put off until November 26. I don't even want to bother asking my Cd guy as I fear I'll gtet another: "Oooh, I know the name of the TMBG single, believe me" in a very snide and annnoying way (ie everyone and his brother musta been asking this guy for TMBG stuff which while not totally shocking, it is still fairly incredible). Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:25:19 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: kids in the hall Hi everybody Did any of you see the movie Kids in the Hall:Brain Candy? I haven't seen it yet, but, I heard that TMBG have a song in that movie. Does anyone know if it's a song they already have out on one of their cd's, or if it's a new one? Also, if you get a chance, check out the band The Trenchcoat Club. They are very similar to TMBG. They play the same kind of music, and they are hilarious! -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:54:56 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: The Omaha show that Tara missed. :( Tim Lloyd said something like: > Hopefully They'll return on their world tour. I'm > going to try to see Them in Kansas City in November. Maybe They'll play > Stump The Band. Ooh! K.C. in November? I did not know about this. Ohboyohboyohboy...but yeah, it would be really great if They would come back here on their tour later (I live in Lincoln, btw). > I waited outside for a while after the show, chatting with the other > eight die-hard TMBG fans I found. Ah, if it weren't for stupid extenuating circumstances, you would have met ten die-hard TMBG fans--namely, me and my friend Kylee. Doh! Now I'm really upset I missed this show. I figured that the only consolation was that there probably wouldn't be much of a gathering of TMBG fans there. I wanted to go so badly, as I've been waiting for them to come near here ever since I missed Their show in K.C. in '93. Well, anyway, it's good to see there are other die-hard They fans in the Omaha/Lincoln area. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:49:04 -0500 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: TMBG: TMBG or Mono Puff in NYC in March? Does ANYONE have any info or knowledge of TMBG or Mono Puff doing any shows in NYC in March? If so, let me know. I'll be asking more often as March draws near. :) Thanks Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 16:00:50 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: A Snowball in Mailing-List Hell Some time in the 21st century, Bluedawg wrote: >On Sunday, I replied to a particularly harsh flame of Ruprecht and me from >one Ryan Stabib. In that flame, he spoke as if he was speaking for the >list, and said Ruprecht's and my opinions weren't welcomed on the list. >He also said that I have a tendancy to attack people personally. I denied >these claims, and asked him to deliver proof. He didn't. I posted a >message to the list asking him to e-mail me so that we could discuss this >issue apart from the list. He didn't. I am *very* angry about this whole >matter, and will not stop talking until it is resolved, or my head falls >off, whichever comes first (TMBG Content). >Please take a look at the whole matter for yourselves, and offer your >opinions of this situation. I must reiterate that I am *very* angry, >almost to the point of unsubscribing. This must be resolved. Almost to the point of unsubscribing? Umm, I'll admit that I've never ever been flamed (probably because I don't say anything interesting...ah well, there are good and bad sides to being boring), but I find it hard to believe that anyone would unsubscribe just because they got flamed a couple of times by some idiot. And that's my opinion. He's an idiot. There ya have it, Dawg, I'm on your side, but maybe you need to invest in a thicker skin... Oh...and while I'm on the subject of idiots. Exqusitedeadguy wrote: >I'm sorry to say this but quiz bowls are gay. hmmm...where is all that hostility coming from? Perhaps your mother was cruel to you when you were younger, or perhaps you're just a jerk. Actually, I don't think it's the former, because I know your mom very well *nudge nudge wink wink* and she's a very nice woman, even if she doesn't always pay me up front... god...I think I deserve to be thrown in to mailing-list hell for that last thing I wrote...and yet I can't bring myself to delete it. Maybe hell won't be so bad... As for the MTV review of FS...I know it's not very well written, but in the end it IS positive, isn't it? That's something at least...(btw my school's newspaper did a review of FS which was extremely favorable and avoided using the q-word....) Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: >HAHAHA!!!!! YES!!!!!! >allow me to explain... >i have never heard tmbg on the radio,no one in my stinking school/town >knows >who they are,but,my friend charles,last night heard S-E-X-X-Y, and earlier >today he heard SNAIL SHELL on 92.3 k-rock!!!!!!!!! im so happ happ >happy!!!!! >the dj even reffered to them as "brooklyns ambassadors of love"!! *sigh* I turned on K-Rock and heard Snail Shell too and almost died of pleasure right there, but turns out it wasn't *actually* being played, it was just part of a commercial for the Roseland Ballroom, so it wasn't the DJ that called Them "brooklyn's ambassadors of love," it was some anonymous radio voice. BTw, where did your friend hear S-E-X-X-Y? - Dan, the Quiz Bowl Master --Another NyQuil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 96 16:05 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: if i wasn't shy >On a similar note, is anyone else a fan of "If I Wasn't Shy"? I realize >that, again, no one seems to like this, and the music is pretty weak. But >the lyrics are just so true -- anyone who's ever been shy knows what I'm >talking about here. A nice, whimsical, but insightful commentary on shyness. This is one of my all-time favorites. I used to be really shy, so I know what the narrator is talking about. But I also see it as not so much being about *shyness*, but repression. This guy is talking about all the things he would do if he could just loosen up a little (or a lot). He'd steal the things he needed and wanted, he'd quit his job ("burn all the time clock cards"), he'd get rid of all the pushy people ("ask me buttons" and "masters of ceremony"), and finally, he'd tell the girl he loves that he loves her. I'm sorry, I just love this song. Perhaps I see part of myself in it... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 96 16:08 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Particle Man > >I think the third guy (particle man) is Niels Bohr (bohr atomic model) or maybe Rutherford or Sommerfield (quantum mechanics) or maybe some one else. that's pretty cool though, although if Bohr is particle man, he's "beaten" by Sommerfield and the other guys who did quantum mech. So then, who would Person Man be? I think he represents the normal person like me, who has trouble with chemistry and really doesn't understand it at all. Kirsten (who feels like she's being hit on the head with a frying pan every time she opens her Chem book) -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:32:40 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: silly alt-rock cred On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >>>Ok, what is "silly alt-rock cred"? I'd put it aside if I knew what it > >was.<< > I don't know either. Maybe it's slang? It's like those gosh darn magazines > that substitute the word "parents" with "rents" and "vacation" with "vaca" > thinking they're so hip 'n' cool to copy the movie Clueless. Sad part is, so > many Clueless people out there actually follow it.. ::sigh:: Glad I'm not > one. :) Heh heh...my favourite is "rilly." This annoys me to now end. Just my $.02. > Or maybe it's a typo, and he meant "alt-rock crud" (ie..Alanis *shudder*; > Green Day; and um, yeah..see I wouldn't know what else ..Bush?) That's what I thought too, but I was on such a roll, that I went right on and voiced my bile. It could also be short for "alt-rock credential" which makes little sense probably to anyone but me, but thats allright. Actually, that was what I thought of first, you know, "I really know alt-rock...here are my credentials!" The abbreviation alt-rock annoys me as well (the list goes on...) making it out to be like some kind of extra hip newsgroup or something. Whatever... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:56:24 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: Re: TMBG: silly alt-rock creEd Queen Sneepy wrote: > > On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > > >>>Ok, what is "silly alt-rock cred"? I'd put it aside if I knew what it > > >was.<< > > I don't know either. Maybe it's slang? It's like those gosh darn magazines > > that substitute the word "parents" with "rents" and "vacation" with "vaca" > > thinking they're so hip 'n' cool to copy the movie Clueless. Well, since "cred' is definitly not a word, I think that it was a typo for the word "creed" which means a statement of beliefs , principles or opinions. In that context it would almost make some sort of sense, though weak at best. As in the belief "that only alternative music is of any value and it is my opinion that no other music is valid". Either way the review was pitiful and inept so.... consider the source. Herne is right, MTV hasn't shown any videos or had much to do with music at all, during the hours that I pass it by, for years anyway! The worst thing that could happen to Them would be to be embraced by MTV! Thats when to start getting worried. They would have to start learning to rap right about now! Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:12:07 -0500 (EST) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc >On the tmbg.com list under news; tour info...the locations are a bit messed >up...I know the Agora Ballroom goes with the cleveland show not the >cincinatti show....just thought I'd make that comment... Yeah... this morning, I saw some of the same in Southern California. The El Rey Theater is in Los Angeles, 4th & B is in San Diego (and 21 and over! :~~~{ Have fun, Charles.), and the other venue, which I think was called the AIO Rec Center, was probably for Chicago. -Kilroy All the world's a stage, and all the people my audience. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:38:32 EST On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:26:36 EST jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) writes: >Also, my husband found out that They are going to be chatting on >another web site ( I forget what it's called) on the 6th at around >5pm or 6pm. Does anyone know anything about this? http://www.sonic.net/ *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:39:09 -0500 (EST) From: Adam M Pearson Subject: Re: TMBG: Particle Man Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 30-Oct-96 Re: TMBG: Particle Man by Kirsten Brodbeck@remcen. >>I think the third guy (particle man) is Niels Bohr (bohr atomic model) or may >be Rutherford or Sommerfield (quantum mechanics) or maybe some one else. that >'s pretty cool though, although if Bohr is particle man, he's "beaten" by Somm >erfield and the other > guys who did quantum mech. Particle man could also be Feynman. For all of you non-science people, he did alot of research on decay of subatomic particles. His big contribution to science is his diagrams describing these decays, especially that of the neutron. I also think that this interpretation of the song is wrong, but who am I to argue. Adam Pearson ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: 'Bout the incident From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:58:35 EST Just a question, how many of the people who got pissed at my for the Quiz Bowl thing were the ones who said the we shouldn't vote against the nazi site on alt.music.whatever. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:44:43 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: silly alt-rock creEd In reference to the debate concerning the use of the word "cred." I didn't read the original post, because, due to a busy schedule I deleted a lot of list-mail. (sorry) Regardless, "cred" is a slang word for credibility. Or allow me to present it as used in a song... "Reality doesn't mean a f*cking thing out here in candyland It's all about street _creds_ dropping names sucking up and shaking hands." (from Screeching Weasel's "degenerate") To me, the phrase "alt-rock cred" would be in reference to a statement along the lines of someone saying: "Yeah, well, I had Nirvana's first album before they got popular." (used in order to imply that the speaker is cooler than the listener.) I am sure there are even better examples, but my brain hurts, so I can't think of any right now. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:44:34 EST On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:02:13 -0500 (EST) mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >> Moral of the Story?... Why go to hootie to se TMBG for 30 Min >when >> you can see the by their selfs for a WHOLE set? >You want to see their holes? That's digusting! >8-) >Matt You foolish person, Look it's right! _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG please E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:53:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Mark Marek and my pumpkin My sister was watching Nickelodeon this morning, and I sat down to put my shoes on and caught one of those behind the scenes fillers, and it was none other than Mark Marek (the Istanbul video illustrator). I guess he's working on a new "Nick Toon" or something. Huh. Thought I'd share. And I usually let my sister carve my pumpkin, but this yeasr I thought of a great one. I made a THEY skull, a la John Henry. :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html **everyone watch Newsradio tonight!! Dave Foley's gonna be in drag!! Whoo hoo!!!** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:06:30 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver >I was talking to a They fan last night, and she told me that there is a >TMBG screen saver (or at least a screen saver with TMBG somewhere on it) >for Windows 95. Someone posted a message about a Win screen saver a long time ago. Apparently its gimmick was that it flashed random words on your screen, in different typefaces, etc. The poster said that he/she watched the screen for a while and saw the four words "they might be giants" pop up. The poster remarked that the odds against this being a coincidence were very high, and so concluded that whoever programmed the screen saver was giving an obscure little nod to his/her favorite band. Maybe this is the screen saver you're thinking of? >i'm not sure, but she might mean the TMBG theme for Microsoft Plus!. I >have it for my computer it's pretty neat. It's got cursors, sounds, >wallpaper, and icons too. but sorry, no screen saver. but hey, there could >be a screen saver somewhere, and i'll look like a jerk then! such is life. Whoa now. What is this? What be Microsoft Plus? I run Windoze (against my will, believe me) and I'd DEFINETELY be interested in this. It would further convince my roommate, who uses my computer to check her e-mail, that I am insane. (She's a Floodie; I'm trying to get her hooked on the good stuff. >>Forget the past, all the >>currently acceptable ingredients are here: > >It's amazing how damning this is to MTV and the culture it has spawned. >Basically what this review is saying is "It's okay right now to like TMBG >because they sound like the other bands who are popular right now." Nothing >about how TMBG is actually a good band, or anything like that...noooooo, MTV >people don't care about whether a record is actually *good.* What really confuses me about this is that TMBG does not sound *anything* like the other bands who are popular right now. If MTV likes FS, they have some damn peculiar (and not really valid) reasons for doing so. As has been pointed out, MTV now likes them because they've influenced other bands? So MTV has therefore decided to award them the stamp of approval? And how can they _not_ like the accordians? Only 22 more days until I see Them live for the first time!!! --nicole the wonder nerd is the poison you love *** Nicolopolis, phoenix-like, has risen from its own ashes! Visit the mostly-new incarnation at: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn But nothing much works yet. ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Sorry People. From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:58:35 EST Sorry 'bout the "Gay" comment about quiz bowls. It was quite the wrong word. Please drop the subject, I think there are quite enough responses about it already. Does anyone know about the Nov 29 show in Minniapolis? Any opening bands? P.S. remember my disclaimer i put with every message? I somtime write stupid this without tinking about what'll happen. That's why it's there. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ^ I have recently updated my Signature to include all of my errors. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TOUR DATES ON WEB From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:58:35 EST On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:22:30 -0500 (EST) Leo Bicknell writes: > > Trying to avoid the 20 questions by using a catchy subject. >New tour dates are at http://www.tmbg.com/, go to news, then tour >info. > > While I'm writing a message anyway I'll say something >re: flaming. The only way to get rid of flames and other useless >messages is not to write them. As far as I'm concerned the 20 >people complaining about them are as bad as the few people >who wrote them in the first place. It can be more powerful to >not say anything at all, not to mention save a lot of time >and bandwidth. Ya, and if you're absolutely compelled to do so, send it to the person, not the list. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:44:34 EST On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:55:29 pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) writes: > >>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:03:58 EDT >>From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) >>Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >>To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >>Subject: TMBG: To all, IMPORTANT! >> >>I'm trying as hard as I can to go to They's Oct. 31 show in >Minniapolis >>with Hootie Blowing Fish. I just wan't you all to know that I'm >going to >>try as hard as i can to intercept Either Johns. I'm just trying to >get >>you ideas for questions I should ask Them. >> >>_________________________________________________________ >>"Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me >>If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG >> please >>E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! > >They are private people. My idea is that you leave them the fuck >ALONE! > >It's people like you that make them so indifferent to their fans. > > I had only one intention from that post, I stink at coming up with good questions. I don't want to sit there and drool. While They walk by (if at all) _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me If you wish to talk to me about matters other than TMBG please E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com. Na Noo, Na Noo! _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:39:07 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Bout the incident At 06:58 PM 10/30/96 EST, you wrote: >Just a question, how many of the people who got pissed at my for the Quiz >Bowl thing were the ones who said the we shouldn't vote against the nazi >site on alt.music.whatever. > Tossed Salad + Domesticated Animals There! I can compare two entirely different things too! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:39:50 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Bout the incident Dragon Lord wrote: > > Just a question, how many of the people who got pissed at my for the Quiz > Bowl thing were the ones who said the we shouldn't vote against the nazi > site on alt.music.whatever. Just because someone or some people are upset about what someone said, the whole gay thing for example, doesn't mean that they're going to go as far as restrict his right to speach. You're using a wrong example -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:56:40 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: TMBG: TMBG-shirts Walked by my towns least favorite record store today, and was somewhat excited to see a Factory Showroom poster in the display window. Also, they were selling XTC's oranges and lemons for six bucks. I've only heard one XTC song, that Peter Pumpkinhead song or whatever, but I know like half this list likes XTC, so any reccomendations as to whether or not I should buy it? Attention everyone who wears their TMBG shirts to work, school, or whatever. What kind of reactions do you get? Most common reactions for me: "I hate that band" and . Favorite reactions: "They Might be WHAT?", "And they might not", "You could get beat up for wearing that to school", and, last but not least "That face on the back of your shirt is LOOKING AT ME!!!" Oh, and speaking of shirts is there EVER going to be a list t-shirt? Just curious. Bye. -- "Civilization is a religion. Civilized people walk funny"-David Byrne Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:05:14 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: Re: TMBG: Particle Man On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > >I think the third guy (particle man) is Niels Bohr (bohr atomic model) or maybe Rutherford or Sommerfield (quantum mechanics) or maybe some one else. that's pretty cool though, although if Bohr is particle man, he's "beaten" by Sommerfield and the other > guys who did quantum mech. > > So then, who would Person Man be? I think he represents the > normal person like me, who has trouble with chemistry and really doesn't > understand it at all. I think both of you guys are right. I think of Universe man being somebody like Einstein. He worked with......the theory o frelativity. This applies to really really big thing moving really really fast. The Particle man would be somebody like Rutherford or Sommerfield or somebody. They worked with quantum mechanics, which applies to the most fundamental parts of nature; things like quarks and neutrinos. Person man would, indeed, have to be normal people like us (though I hope to one day gain the rank of Universe Man); people who dont understand either branch of physics. (Physics and chemistry tend to blur alittle on the subatomic level, but there really isn't that much chemistry in the really realy big stuff, so I say `physics'.) James @ MU ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:11:17 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: minneapolis Hello This is to whoever was wondering who TMBG was playing with on November 29 in Minneapolis. They are playing with Cub. It's gonna be a great show!! -Heather ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:24:12 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: shirts Hi everybody, I wore my They Might Be Giants t-shirt to school one day. This person I had never met before came running up to me, and was all excited because they loved that band too. Okay, that was my story. -Heather ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:47:07 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re:'Bout the incident >Just a question, how many of the people who got pissed at my for the Quiz Bowl thing were the ones who said the we shouldn't vote against the nazi >site on alt.music.whatever. I got angry at you, and I was against voting no for the Nazi thing, but what my argument is (even though I didnt post on either subject) is that there should be given ample Time and Space for all types of views. The Nazi list would provide the correct Place for talking neo= nazi shit. This is NOT the place to be calling things gay simply cause you don't like them. Use of abusive language is not TMBG :) SJL ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: minneapolis Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:12:46 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu: >This is to whoever was wondering who TMBG was playing with on November 29 in >Minneapolis. They are playing with Cub. It's gonna be a great show!! I've got my tickets; far right side, rows D/E. I may play musical chairs with other groups of friends. Looks like they're running about $24 each via Ticketmaster. I'm sure I'll see a few of you tomorrow night at the Hootie gig. A friend is constructing a banner and a Freak Flag as we speak; they'll be fairly large. I forget the section i'm in, 110 or so perhaps. I'll be wearing the white Drunk Bird/DAS Always Free Always Busy shirt, but your best bet, if you think you see me, is to yell "Hey Bongo!" in a crowded theater, and see if I react. P.S. If you folks would learn to ignore inflammatory posts (or at least direct them to the sender), the rest of us would only have to delete one message instead of 50. Also, for those of us who use killfiles or procmail rules to ignore particularly annoying posters, it forces us to see their posts anyway. Sometimes silence is more effective than any words could be... P.S.S. I'm surprised the Nazi Newsgroup thing is still around; the vote on that was a couple years ago. RULE OF POSTING #12: NEVER REPOST ANYTHING WITHOUT A DATE ON IT. This is why we are still plagued with Modem Tax and Craig Shergold stories... ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:48:54 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: sorry Hi all Would Vicki Danklefsen please email me. I apologise to the list, but this is the only way I can get in touch with this person. Thank you Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 23:14:45 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: TMBG: does XTC sing this? I just remembered once hearing a really cool cover of "suicide is painless" (the theme from M.A.S.H.) And I _think_ the artist that did the cover was XTC Am I right? anyone? anyone? James @ MU ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:15:01 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Reprehensible lyrics?/Other stuff Mike Rose, from Totonot wrote: > > > clarinet solo. > I was just listening to a concert tape from a month or so ago and > on it Flans introduces She's Actual Size by saying they had re-recorded it > and it was to be on Factory Showroom. Can anyone corroborate this? Is > there a new studio version of She's Actual Size?I don't know, but Flans has always been unhappy with the origional accual size there's more about this on tmbg.com/news I think or where ever the press clippings section is. > Finally, I heard a tape of a song called The Edison Museum which > is credited to TMBG but it sounds like Brian Dewan singing. Does anyone > know anything about this song?Its written and performed by Linnell and Dewan. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:37:44 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: silly hats Simon Koch wrote: > > Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > > > > > >> "Get out of the car, put down the phone, take of that stupid looking hat > > >> you wear." > > > > This line always reminds me of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books. > > I think it's the first one where it talks about Dirk's hat, and about the > > guy who always writes the horoscopes especially about Dirk. Er, I don't > > have the book here, so this is really rather vague. But those of you > > who've read the book probably know what I mean. > > > > Kirsten > > First, silly hats rule (my favorite? an embroidered SPAM baseball cap)! > And I've read some of the Dirk Gently books, but I don't remember any > hat. Anyone dig the book up and check?I know there are refrences to his silly hat in both DG books. Adams also has a new book coming out called THE SALMON OF DOUBT: A DIRK GENTLY NOVEL it was supposed to be out this month but was pushed back to summer. Anyway, hat quotes I found (I haven't startes looking yet so this may be blank): "He was a rather overweight man who had been driving wearing a long leathercoat and a rather ugly red hat."- p150 LDTOTS there are more I'll send once I find them Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: On-line Nov. 6 From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 00:27:41 EST On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:38:32 EST ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) writes: > >>Also, my husband found out that They are going to be chatting on >>another web site ( I forget what it's called) on the 6th at around >>5pm or 6pm. Does anyone know anything about this? > > http://www.sonic.net/ No, it's before sonicnet. I think it's Spin on-line or something like this. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 00:50:32 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: TMBG: cleveland are They playing in Cleveland soon? i'd check the website but i can't use netscape. if they are, i definitely have a ride this time. please e-mail me if you know. thank you. and that is all. !?!@#$@#%%#$$^%@@^%$%^^^^$%&&&^%@@%$@#$%%@#$^^%$$$^^^^^$@$^#%&^%&@@$%^@%&$%&& Life is like a roller coaster. It has it's ups and downs, it's curves and it's loops. But every time you come up to the gate, it goes right through. It may slow down, but it never lets you get off. mci@tmbg.org a mind is a terrible thing. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: kids in the hall From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 23:51:50 EST On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:25:19 -0600 (CST) SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu writes: >Did any of you see the movie Kids in the Hall:Brain Candy? I haven't seen it >yet, but, I heard that TMBG have a song in that movie. Does anyone know if >it's a song they already have out on one of their cd's, or if it's a new one? Yup. Awesome movie. I loved the way it was laid out somewhat like some old German film (vaguely like the "Sausages" sketch), and combined the sketch-comedy layout with a full 2 hour plot. (I'm expecting Sara to jump in here with a remark or seven.) "Spiralling Shape," played for 3 seconds during the Music Awards scene. On FS. Tim Lloyd fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org "Dat reminds me ov a zong my mudder uzed to zing to me vhen I vas a jhild: 'Life iz short, life iz shit, and zoon it will be over.' It zounds better in zhe original Croatian." - Mark McKinney as the Croatian Cab Driver in KITH: Brain Candy ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 01:42:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: SpinOnline chat November 7, 9PM. As posted to the ever wonderful TMBG folder on AOL: Subj: TMBG on SPINonline Date: 96-10-30 19:03:52 EST From: SPINspy John & John from They Might Be Giants will be chatting on SPINonline on Thursday, November 7th at 9 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Be there or be squared. *----------------------------------------------------- So, do you think they were trying to be witty with that squared comment? Hmm. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Just saw Them... Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 1:01:15 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hello peoples. Just got back from Their show with Hootie. Awesome is the only word I can think of. They played (in no order): Subliminal Particle Man Birdhouse Your Own Worst Enemy Sleeping In the Flowers S-E-X-X-Y New York City Spy Istanbul and a few others I can't remember right now. On Spy, they had the dorky looking guitar player from Hootie come on stage and play. They told everyone to buy Factory Showroom. Then, before I knew it, They were done. Hootie came on and I stayed for 3 1/2 songs. That was all I could take. There were too many people there that had no rythym that were "dancing". They also broke out the lighters by the fourth song. I grabbed my friend and left. But They were great. Aaron (transcribing away) -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Where is my Pathetica? Oh ya, http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~bonneya/path.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-298 ******************************