Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-299 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 299 Friday, 1 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Test TMBG: Re:TMBG Sexxy Release Date TMBG: I visited Ruprecht, and there is no TMBG content here. TMBG: Re: XTC TMBG: Sega CD, YMM, Quiz, Question of ages Re: TMBG: Particle Man TMBG: Sonicnet/SPINONLINE Chat Fwd: TMBG: Just saw Them... TMBG: I've Got a Match TMBG: Lavisa des LA TMBG: helloween TMBG: Pearl [The Song] TMBG: Who's Pearl? Re: TMBG: Pearl [The Song] TMBG: stuff TMBG: shirt reactions... TMBG: Re: tmbg: MTV review TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-298 Re: TMBG: stuff TMBG: shirt reactions... Re: TMBG: How come... TMBG: A TMBG Analogy TMBG: shirts TMBG: shrit reactions TMBG: cd TMBG: concert play list Re: TMBG: TMBG-shirts Re: TMBG: Sonicnet/SPINONLINE Chat TMBG: For Brooksie, all others ignore Re: TMBG: Sega CD, YMM, Quiz, Question of ages Re: TMBG: shirt reactions... TMBG: TMBG in Minneapolis Re: TMBG: shirt reactions... TMBG:Shirt Reactions Re: TMBG: cd TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: cd TMBG: My They Day and a Question TMBG: Stump the band Re: TMBG: minneapolis Re: TMBG: shirts Re: TMBG: kids in the hall TMBG: Hootie Re: TMBG: cd TMBG: Who Am I ? TMBG: Info Club letter TMBG: "You'll Miss Me" & "If I Wasn't Shy" TMBG: Interview with Flans Re: TMBG: Tick Re: TMBG: TMBG-shirts TMBG: Polk voting Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: "You'll Miss Me" & "If I Wasn't Shy" (none) TMBG: Music Central TMBG: tour dates on tmbg.com TMBG: XTC + OAT TMBG: milwaukee TMBG: TMBG MEDIA ARCHIVE TMBG: King of Wingo? Reprehensible? TMBG: Let's do the time warp again Re: TMBG: King of Wingo? Reprehensible? Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again Non-TMBG:My XTC Recommendations TMBG: Factory Showroom at Last TMBG: Re: Let's do the time warp again Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Test From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 01:39:24 EST Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:22:12 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG Sexxy Release Date According to the new issue of Abbey Road Map (dated nov.4)...an order form for distributors...the release date is October 29th. Oops that's two days ago. Oh well on the off chance that what the others have posted about the November date isn't true it might be worth a flyby at Tower records. You never know. The cd was also listed as a (x5) which may mean there's a total of five tracks on it. For what it's worth, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 03:32:02 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: I visited Ruprecht, and there is no TMBG content here. Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that Ruprecht is alive and well in the city of Lansing. I went to see him and his brother tonight, and we saw Wally Pleasant again who remembered me from the last time as "his friend from Ohio" (I drove 3 hours to get there). Anyhow it was a great time and if you ever get the chance to see Wally Pleasant, you should do so. Support a young struggling musucian! and in my .sig is a quote from one of his songs that he didn't sing tonight. Take care all, and to everyone going to the Bogart's show on the 5th, I'll be there so I want to meet you!!! Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org "Stupid day jobs are like blow jobs, they both suck." -- Wally Pleasant ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:18:16 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Re: XTC As far as I know XTC has never covered "Suicide is Painless." they did cover "All Along the Watchtower"(hendrix) and Ella Guru (Captain beefheart)...and they sort of covered themselves on their own tribute cd...although they did it under an assumed name. As for the poster who is contemplating getting into XTC...sure go ahead and buy Oranges and Leamons. There are many better albums to get you started but for six bucks you can't go wrong. As XTC is an obsession of mine you can e-mail me for suggestions about other albums...that goes for anybody else out there as well. I'm always willing to try to turn anyone on to XTC. As is, I suspect...Joshua Hall-Bachner...a fellow Chalkhills denizen and XTC enthusiast. Later, Herne ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 03:59:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Sega CD, YMM, Quiz, Question of ages Hello 41- I have several not very important things to say, but will say them anyways... Sega CD- I think there were graphics included, but not TMBG graphics. I just remember hearing Mammal for the first time, because for some reason I didn't get A18 untill a long time after it was released... You'll Miss Me- I always liked this song, but the demo version better. The music and voice kind of adds to the "meaness" of it. I always thought that I'll Sink Manhattan would be worse... Quiz bowl rip- This was a simple line that probably made almost everybody on here mad for one reason or another. I know it ticked me off. Anyone can not like quiz bowls, but the referring to them as gay as an insult is just plain bad. To EDG, I belive in Freedom of Speech. (Insert Devo line here) Allright, you can yell at me for this, but I am going to ask a question that many people probably know and have imbedded in their head... What is the middle of Snowball in Hell from? Just wondering. Adam Three by three, as well as four by four! ------------------------------ From: "Jon Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:17:36 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Particle Man I'm sure its about atomic theory. Anyway, cool name. On 30 Oct 96 at 12:54, Grimleyfiendish wrote: > > > > On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:56:33 +0000 Jon Vile wrote: > > > > > > > Anyone out there do physics? > > > > Triangle of Forces? > > Particle intercepted by a traingle of atomic forces? > > > > Am I making any sense? > > I know I am. > > > > Does this song have anything to do with the old Spiderman theme > > tune? > > > > Have a nice day guys! > > My mate Mark who was kind enough to introduce me to the world of Them told me a > very interesting theory about particle man only last night. When I say interesting I > probably only mean that I'm half way to understanding what he's talking about ( I > get confused easily.....). > Anyway, He reckons that each character represents a pioneer in 'modern thinking' > Universe man is Gallilao (or however you spell it) Triangle man is Pythagoras and > Particle man is an important person involved in the discovery of atoms (who?) > although I'm not quite sure who person man is. Anyway, he reckons the song is > about these people fighting over who has the most credibility. > I haven't sat down and thought about it properly yet, But I'm sure it makes sense. > And HIS friend just thinks it's 2 guys writing nonsense but we're not having any of > it. > So there you go. > > > Chrissy x > > ****************************** > 'Sig file? > Sig file? > Sig file tra la la?!' > ****************************** > > > __________________________ /This happy squirrel says: \ | Goodbye from | | j.vile@roehampton.ac.uk | \_______ ________________/ \ | \| |\__/| .~ ~. /o=o'`./ .' {o__, \ { / . . ) \ `-` '-' \ } .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _| ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Sonicnet/SPINONLINE Chat Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 06:03:10 -0600 From the sonicnet page: November 7, 7 PM THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS (est time) And from a post: Subj: TMBG on SPINonline Date: 96-10-30 19:03:52 EST From: SPINspy John & John from They Might Be Giants will be chatting on SPINonline on Thursday, November 7th at 9 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. So are they doing two in one night? One after the other? How do i get to the spinonline one (or is it aol er someting?) The sonicnet place at www.sonicnet.com has all the instructions for the sonicnet one... SO how do i get to spinonline... .sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig .sig.sig.sig "I Teleported Home One Night, With Ron And Sid And Meg, Ron Stole Meggie's Heart Away, And I Got Sidney's Leg" "GO AHEAD, WRECK YOUR LIFE, THAT MIGHT BE GOOD" - They Might Be Giants WYATT GLODELL-------------------------------WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM .sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig .sig.sig.sig ------------------------------ From: Moniquaaaa@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 07:56:06 -0500 Subject: Fwd: TMBG: Just saw Them... I also went to the Hootie show last night. You shouldn't have left so early. You missed They Might Be Giants coming back on stage and singing Twisting along with Hootie. As much as I don't like Hootie it was actually pretty cool. This was my first TMBG show and I loved it. It was the greates thing in the world. I can now die happy Monica --------------------- Forwarded message: From: kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu (Aaron Kohlbeck) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Reply-to: kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu (Aaron Kohlbeck) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org (Which list is this again?) Date: 96-10-31 02:03:39 EST Hello peoples. Just got back from Their show with Hootie. Awesome is the only word I can think of. They played (in no order): Subliminal Particle Man Birdhouse Your Own Worst Enemy Sleeping In the Flowers S-E-X-X-Y New York City Spy Istanbul and a few others I can't remember right now. On Spy, they had the dorky looking guitar player from Hootie come on stage and play. They told everyone to buy Factory Showroom. Then, before I knew it, They were done. Hootie came on and I stayed for 3 1/2 songs. That was all I could take. There were too many people there that had no rythym that were "dancing". They also broke out the lighters by the fourth song. I grabbed my friend and left. But They were great. Aaron (transcribing away) -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Where is my Pathetica? Oh ya, http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~bonneya/path.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 96 09:40 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: I've Got a Match recent mentions of this song have gotten me thinking in an absent- minded way (my usual way), and i was surprised to see there's nothing in the Interp archive about it... this may be old news to everyone here, but there's a big, fat "Giantism" in this song. my mother has a variety of smart-aleck answers to innocent questions that she has shared with me over the years. some are rather obscure, but this one is pretty common. someone asks, "Got a match?" and you reply, "Yeah, I got a match: your face and my ass!" ha ha ha whatever. but i absolutely *love* the wordplay in the TMBG song, i.e. changing that to "I've got a match: your embrace and my collapse", which works not only as a pun but also as a poignant evocation of a relationship turned destructive... so, i just wanted to share that, and also this, my favorite of my mother's smart-aleck answers to innocent questions: "Got a match?" "Not since Marilyn Monroe died!" later... love, j.l. "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time..." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:00:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Lavisa des LA Has anyone here listened to 'Lavisa des LA'? It's in a catalog I got from some place in New Mexico... It has 'BL' next to it, just like 'Doctor Spock's Backup Band', so I guess it's a bootleg... It's not mentioned in the FAQ, it's not under the discography, and I couldn't find it with any search engine. It's $34, so I'm a little wary about buying it, but if someone here has listened to it or knows more about it, please tell me. TIA, -Adam Tyner ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: helloween Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:25:13 -0500 (EST) Hi, Well, they played the obligatory _Everyday is Halloween_ by Ministry and _Psycho Killer_ by The Talking Heads on WHFS so this day is starting out good, and I got me costume at work (accompanied by my sword and mug). Arrg! Anyway, I wanted to ask, I know that Cub is opening for tmbg at Roseland but what was that other band? It's been a while since i've been to a 3 band show. Also, I was pondering the state of the FS outtakes and thought, if they did indeed go with the idea of just putting these on a new album next year, they will probably haver a CD with many tracks. My thinking is, since we've heard a bunch of songs already that didn't make it, then I'm sure they'd make even more to go on an album. I mean, FS had a good 5 or 6 songs (half the album) that we had never heard before the FS tour. So if we work with the 8 or so songs that they didn';t put on FS, then add 8 or 9 more this could be a 16-17 song (or more) album coming. This is if they don't put them on some incarnation of Freaksickle. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:02:30 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Pearl [The Song] Hey, the tenman here to stun you all with his overwhelming, utter, and otherwise completely terrific self! Hehe...ego trips are so fun! Anyway, I remember that John Flansburgh had mentioned a song called 'Pearl' in one of the interviews that were posted to the list some time ago. This was a little before FS was actually recorded, and he mentioned something about it being really catchy and that it could very well be the first single to the get unnamed 6th album. So, here's the question, what happened to 'Pearl'?? Is it on FS and they merely renamed it? I don't remember hearing of it being played on the mini-tour...has anyone heard of a song called 'Pearl' at a They show? I would love to hear a song dedicated to our beloved Pearl...of course it'd be grand to get one about Persephone too, but I don't think They know about Persephone...not her name, that is. Oh, and it would be incredable if They released another mini-tour based album next year...2 tmbg albums in 2 years...that's unprecidented!! Always here for your reading pleasure... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" Visit the official HomePage at: ----> http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.html -[unfortunately inappropriate until future notice]- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:53:11 -0500 From: John Drauss Subject: TMBG: Who's Pearl? WHo's this pearl so often associated with tmbg. I've figured out she's the halftone on the WDTSS EP, but what other significance does she have. And this isn't in the FAQ. john ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:11:35 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Pearl [The Song] At 12:02 10/31/96, Nathan Todd wrote: >Anyway, I remember that John Flansburgh had mentioned a song called 'Pearl' >in one of the interviews that were posted to the list some time ago. This That was a mistake in the transcription. The song was "Sing Like a Girl," but the beginning of the title got cut off by a hitch in the tape. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:31:41 -0500 Subject: TMBG: stuff >On a similar note, is anyone else a fan of "If I Wasn't Shy"? I >realize that, again, no one seems to like this, and the music is >pretty weak. But the lyrics are just so true -- anyone who's ever >been shy knows what I'm talking about here. A nice, whimsical, >but insightful commentary on shyness. >Or whatever. :) Yeah...I love the lyrics. I can just picture Them acting them out too.. :D >One last thing: we should come up with a canonical list of >who each fingertip is supposed to parody. I remember hearing somewhere something like these: "heart attack" is Phil Collins; "something grabbed ahold of my hand" Cyndi Lauper; um..I can't remember any more.. >Counterfeit Faker is on PODAS, Counterfeit Fake is on the >e-town show. Are you talking about the old old FakeR or the >new Fake? Nope. Counterfeit FakE is on PODAS ("Hey, hey counterfeit fake! lesh ne wards ooh counterfeit fake" (sorry, i can't figure out the words)); and Counterfeit FakeR is the new one--the ick..country one. >i have never heard tmbg on the radio,no one in my stinking >school/town knows who they are, Jordan! ::giggle:: You live in the DAS area code! I'd hope John and John know who They are.. ;) >You foolish person, Look it's right! No, sorry, exquisitedeadguy; you changed it. You think we wouldn't figure that out.. ? ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:31:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: shirt reactions... >Attention everyone who wears their TMBG shirts to work, >school, or whatever. What kind of reactions do you get? Heh heh. :) Lets see. The first few times.. One kid behind me in english started singing a variation on Particle Man...I think it was "Particle Girl" referring to me..I can't remember..I don't think it was a slander against Them, because last year I heard him singing "Istanbul" an awful lot. And a girl directly behind me was: "What? They Might Be what?" "They Might Be Giants." "Is it a band?" "Yeah. My favorite." "Oh..." And I was walking down the hall wearing my coffee shirt, and I kept LOL at the looks I got. People trying to figure out why the hell there is a giant coffee cup on my shirt; and what the hell are "there must be giants?" I could just see Gloria in their eyes.. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:36:56 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg: MTV review Say, has anybody seen the OTHER review that MTV gave of Factory Showroom? (I mentioned it a while back.) It's definitely NOT the one everyone's mentioned (wow, is that one bad.) I don't the have specs on how to find it right now, but it is (or was) at MTV.com (duh) and written by some reviewer with an AOL address. Hmmm. Cory ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:38:31 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-298 I got pissed about the quiz bowl comment, and I made no such pro-Nazi movement. Cory ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:44:47 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of KdsInThHal@aol.com: >Nope. Counterfeit FakE is on PODAS ("Hey, hey counterfeit fake! lesh ne wards >ooh counterfeit fake" (sorry, i can't figure out the words)); and Counterfeit >FakeR is the new one--the ick..country one. Correct; FYI, the lyrics in question are Hey, hey counterfeit fake! History wants you, they made a mistake! This and the lyrics to most of the PoDAS songs can be found on the www.tmbg.org site. Most of these are courtesy of LVJeff and friends, who has been so kind as to rejoin us at last (welcome back!) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:03:42 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: shirt reactions... Well, this is my obligatory first post to this list. So hi, all... Anyways, I had the TMBG shirt with that guy's face (name escapes me right now) and a big T on the front, another picture of that old guy on the back and MBG in red on the back. Let me tell you, I got some classic looks from that one...I even had to explain what TMBG stood for, then who the hell They Might Be Giants was, etc, to all the sorry ignorant saps that have only heard "Istanbul" or "Particle Man".... By the way, anybody know if They are coming to St. Louis anytime soon? I need my fix....it's been a few months... Mourning the lack of "They Got Lost" on FS-- Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: How come... Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:34:49 -0500 (EST) > > On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > > > > Uh... I always thought it was about a particle or something... I can't > > explain it, cause I don't know what it is. > > -- > Look in the paper. Don't blame _ME_ if the guy's a nut! > > Hmm, deja vu all over again... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:35:50 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: A TMBG Analogy Hi all, I had a few extra minutes this morning and thought I would share a story with you. The TMBG connection is the controversy about Them "selling out" or becoming more "mainstream", etc. so bear with me-here is the story: About 6 years ago my sister bought an album by a wonderful singer named Michael Penn. She brought it over and we became instantly devoted to this guy. He was (and is!) John Lennon, Paul Simon and Bob Dylan all rolled into one. His music was beautiful. We told everyone about him and loaned his record to lots of people in hopes of making new fans among our friends. (sound familiar?) There was a neutral reaction at best. We were shocked! Did these people not see that this was the most talented person to come along in at least 20 years? He had a bit of airplay with his song No Myth and I saw him on Good morning America. When he came to our local club we ran to get tickets. Our tickets were #1-3! How was this possible? We actually sat at tables with our elbows resting on the stage. We were so happy that we had seen him at such an intimate venue because before long we KNEW he would be huge. Nope. The Theater was less than half full and it looked like we were the only ones that were singing along. A few years later he came out with another wonderful album, this time with a video that we saw once. It was ironic that the song chosen for the video was, in our opinion, the worst choice off the record.(hmmmm..that sounds familiar too) Then he was gone. He came back to our theater last year and did a great show but I doubt he will ever be back. Nobody was into the music and he knew it. We sat next to a reporter that was writing about him. The reporter said that the record label had dumped him (RCA) because of lack of album sales. What in the world was wrong? His record label clearly did not promote the records and lots of people did not ever get a chance to hear him. But also, the truth is that people get different things from music and many were not profoundly touched the way we were by him. By now you will know what I am getting at. It is a minor miricle that TMBG has been able to make records at all considering that they are not exactly a houshold name. They could have gone away a long time ago or changed into a "mainstream band", for the sake of album sales, at the demand of the record label. So let people say that they think They sold out if it will sell a few more records. Its life insurance. When I told my husband that people are saying that, he laughed and said "oh yea, Michael Bolton sings about rotating dead guys, too". That about says it all! p.s. I heard that Michael Penn has signed with sony and will have a new record next year! I hope its true! Have you guys ever heard him? Let me know. Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:12:59 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: shirts >Attention everyone who wears their TMBG shirts to work, school, or >whatever. What kind of reactions do you get? Most common reactions for >me: "I hate that band" and . >Favorite reactions: "They Might be WHAT?", "And they might not", "You >could get beat up for wearing that to school", and, last but not least >"That face on the back of your shirt is LOOKING AT ME!!!" I own the happy guy shirt (purple happy guy from WDTSS? on the front, enormous lime-green THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS on the back), and I get one of two reactions: 1) Is that the Monopoly guy? 2) Is that the guy from Bob's Big Boy? *sigh* Soon I'll get myself another shirt. >Oh, and speaking of shirts is there EVER going to be a list t-shirt? Don't we wish. I think the plans for that died. (I'm still interested, in case anyone cares!) *** Nicolopolis, phoenix-like, has risen from its own ashes! Visit the mostly-new incarnation at: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn But nothing much works yet. ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 02:14:10 PST Subject: TMBG: shrit reactions From: kalton@juno.com (kenneth a herniman) I've gotten all typpes of different reactions like whhen i used to wear the john henry shirt people kept asking me if fthe girl oon the front was my girlfriend. i thought that was funny considering that girl looks about 7 years old and i was 15. so after a while i gave it to a friend of mine and told her to tell people that the ggirl was her bestfriends girlfrien when they asked. thats the wierdest reaction. now i get most reactions when i wear the one with the pokey little puppy on the back, females jusst seem to love that picture. they often ssay "awwwww" i dont know why. its just a cartoon! also since i wear TMBG sshirts so much many people like to get sarcastic and say " you like that band dont you? " -kenny ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:41:29 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: cd Hi everyone, Okay, you probably all heard about the double cd that's coming out in January. It's supposed to have about 73 songs on it, if what I heard is right. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be 73 new songs, or a lot of old songs and concert songs. That would be so cool if they were all new songs!! I think it's really sad that there's so many poor uneducated people in the world who haven't heard of TMBG. On the Madison radio station, they play Their songs a lot. They even were giving away free copies of Factory Showroom. Cool, huh! I have never seen any of their videos, though. I am deprived. -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:52:54 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Alan Householder Subject: TMBG: concert play list hi all. i'm planning on seeing tmbg at their three ohio dates in early december and i was wondering if anyone on the list could tell me if they know some or all of the playlist for the tour. i would appreciate it. thanks, mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 96 16:01 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-shirts >Attention everyone who wears their TMBG shirts to work, school, or >whatever. What kind of reactions do you get? Usually, "They Might Be WHO?" or "Hey, nice shirt," because I went to the concert with seven other people, one of whom usually manages to wear their shirt on the same day as me. Consequently, I also get "Hey, you know what? Rocky/Kristen/Kemler was wearing that same shirt!" Then there's the delightful child who just *loves* saying "They Might Be Giants" because she likes the way it sounds. I think I'll make her a tape. She listens to country music, but maybe this could convert her. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Sonicnet/SPINONLINE Chat From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:04:54 EST On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 06:03:10 -0600 wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) writes: > So are they doing two in one night? One after the other? How do i >get to the spinonline one (or is it aol er someting?) The sonicnet place at >www.sonicnet.com has all the instructions for the sonicnet one... SO how >do i get to spinonline... Get an AOL (America Online) account. *----------------------------------------------------From owner-tmbg-list Thu Oct 31 16:05:44 1996 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id QAA12732 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:05:44 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sega CD, YMM, Quiz, Question of ages Message-ID: <19961031.155628.4543.4.ununoctium@juno.com> References: <961031035905_1846675208@emout03.mail.aol.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.15 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-1,3,5-16 From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:04:54 EST Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 03:59:05 -0500 NitpickR@aol.com writes: >Allright, you can yell at me for this, but I am going to ask a question that >many people probably know and have imbedded in their head... What is the >middle of Snowball in Hell from? Just wondering. Consult Myke Weiskopf's trusty Early Years FAQ: http://www.execpc.com/~jerk/ *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------- Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:15:14 -0500 (EST) From: frankh@awod.com (Brother JohnBejezus) Subject: TMBG: For Brooksie, all others ignore Sorry to put this on the list but Brooksie, have you been getting my e-mails? I've sent 2 without reply. I hope it's just crappy AOL's fault. Thanks, Brother JohnBejezus "That's life, that's art." - David Thomas ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:21:54 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Sega CD, YMM, Quiz, Question of ages On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Allright, you can yell at me for this, but I am going to ask a question that > many people probably know and have imbedded in their head... What is the > middle of Snowball in Hell from? Just wondering. from: Myke Weiskopf's TMBG Early Years FAQ (http://execpc.com/~jerk/ey_faq) (Krauss is Bill Krauss, TMBG producer 1983-1989) 3.1 Where does the source material from "Snowball in Hell" come from? ------------------------ Krauss, 1994: "It's a dub off of something I gave Flansburgh for his birthday in 1985. I bought it at a bookstore in my hometown in New Jersey, and it's from a tape from some kind of series on how to manage your time effectively. I saw it on a rack with a bunch of tapes on how to make the most money in your life, how to relax.. It was just a bunch of 'how-to' cassette tapes. I was just flipping through them, and Flansburgh's birthday was coming up; I came across 'How To Manage Your Time Effectively', and I thought, 'Flansburgh will find a way to use this.' And so I gave it to him for his birthday. And we ended up putting it in 'Snowball'." S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:28:34 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: TMBG: shirt reactions... I wear my pearle shirt to work every once in a while as well as my "Brooklyn Ambassadors of Love" shirt. The second usually gets more of a "Who?! huh?! What?!" reaction than the first, though people dig the dot matrix on the pearle shirt. I try to explain how cool they are but unless they've heard the bells they don't understand,they're like the girl with the cotton in her ears, almost refusing to understand that I'm not responsible for anything I do.... uh, sorry, anyway after a lengthy explination they exclaim, "Oh, hey! They did that Instanbul song, huh?" "Well, yeah," I say hoping that they would know another song. "But that's not their best." "Well, yeah whatever, anyway, you going to the Green Day concert?" "No I'm not going to Green Day. I don't like Green Day." -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:45:31 -0600 From: Rik Gran Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Minneapolis I haven't seen this posted yet... For you Twin Cities folks TMBG _may_ be visiting REV105 on-air studio around 5pm today. Shawn (a DJ) hopes they will play something like they did last time. (last time they did an acoustinc version of Meet James Ensor). Thorn (other DJ) will probably mercilessly tease them about Hootie. TMBG have their Hootie gig tonight. CUB (whoever these kids are) play tomorrow (1. Nov), I think, on the U of Minnesota campus (in the basement of Coffman). Two local acts open for them.$5 for non students, $4 for students. Then TMBG has their own show, maybe with CUB, on November 29th. Tickets are kinda expensive, but its your money. Rik ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: shirt reactions... Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:54:17 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Colin Ferm: >"Who?! huh?! What?!" reaction than the first, though people dig the dot >matrix on the pearle shirt. I try to explain how cool they are but Halftone, not dot matrix. > "No I'm not going to Green Day. I don't like Green Day." Well, I AM going to Hootie. I don't particularly care for them, but neither do I terribly dislike them. Section 110, row 4. It's getting hard to wait... -CB P.S. I'm also patiently waiting for news on list tees. I'm certain more design ideas would be appreciated; there were one or two already (on Tom Hare's web page I believe) but hey, the more the hairier! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:44:53 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: TMBG:Shirt Reactions I wear my pearle shirt to work every once in a while as well as my "Brooklyn Ambassadors of Love" shirt. The second usually gets more of a "Who?! huh?! What?!" reaction than the first, though people dig the dot matrix on the pearle shirt. I try to explain how cool they are but unless they've heard the bells they don't understand,they're like the girl with the cotton in her ears, almost refusing to understand that I'm not responsible for anything I do.... uh, sorry, anyway after a lengthy explination they exclaim, "Oh, hey! They did that Instanbul song, huh?" "Well, yeah," I say hoping that they would know another song. "But that's not their best." "Well, yeah whatever, anyway, you going to the Green Day concert?" "No I'm not going to Green Day. I don't like Green Day." -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: cd Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:53:08 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck > > Hi everyone, > Okay, you probably all heard about the double cd that's coming out in January. > It's supposed to have about 73 songs on it, if what I heard is right. Does > anyone know if it's supposed to be 73 new songs, or a lot of old songs and > concert songs. That would be so cool if they were all new songs!! Again, I must quote from the Linnell interview that I did (I bet you guys can't wait for me to stop doing this and post the damn thing) Anyway, I asked Linnel about it and he said (as most people know) that it will be the first album (The Pink Album, Big Blue Dog, whatever you want to call it), Lincoln and Misc T. It will also have 18 (actually, Linnell said 15, but I guess we won't know until Jan) unreleased/B-side songs. One that Linnel mentioned specifically was the one with the grade school kids singing Particle Man. Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Let me tell you about my sammich... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:54:37 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: Re: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) wrote: > > > >I think the third guy (particle man) is Niels Bohr (bohr atomic model) or maybe Rutherford or Sommerfield (quantum mechanics) or maybe some one else. that's pretty cool though, although if Bohr is particle man, he's "beaten" by Sommerfield and the other > guys who did quantum mech. > > So then, who would Person Man be? I think he represents the > normal person like me, who has trouble with chemistry and really doesn't > understand it at all. Well, Particle, Universe, and Triangle were all people who studied those things in that interp, so Person Man would have to be someone who studied people. Perhaps Darwin or Freud. -Sean ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: cd From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:06:36 EST On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:41:29 -0600 (CST) SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu writes: >Hi everyone, >Okay, you probably all heard about the double cd that's coming out in January. >It's supposed to have about 73 songs on it, if what I heard is right. Does >anyone know if it's supposed to be 73 new songs, or a lot of old songs and >concert songs. That would be so cool if they were all new songs!! >I think it's really sad that there's so many poor uneducated people in the >world who haven't heard of TMBG. On the Madison radio station, they play Their >songs a lot. They even were giving away free copies of Factory Showroom. Cool, >huh! I have never seen any of their videos, though. I am deprived. "Through Restless, longtime manufacturer and distributer of TMBG's Pre-Elektra catalouge, They Might Be Giants will be releasing the first ever comprehensive collection of their earlier work. THEN: THE EARLY YEARS will encapsulate the first album, the LINCOLN lp, the ep's compiled on MISCELLANEOUS T, songs off their 1985 demo tape and a number of other tracks available only through Dial-A-Song and early demos. The two cd set will be packaged with an extensive 32 page booklet which will include all the original covers of TMBG's albums and ep's, lyrics and additional liner notes by John and John." -1996 holiday Info Club NEW MEDIUM SIZE EDITION THINGS GIANT NEWS That works out to 73 tracks altogether, 18 previously unreleased. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:49:30 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: My They Day and a Question So I work as a retriever at my library- I go and get requests from people at other campuses from the brance libraries on my campus. Well, I had many requests from a guy with the last name of Schermerhorn, who requested a couple of articles by a guy with the last name of Ensor. It was really freaky, but I couldn't tell anyone else at work because they wouldn't have gotten it. I was wondering how "Dr. Spocks Back Up Band" was made. I mean, it's not a recorded show (by a listee, or is it?)- is it an import? I've noticed it's listed differently than the recorded shows, which is what I always thought it was, so I was just curious. Oh, and what is best to use when recording a show, anyway? One of those hand-held micro-recorders is what I have. Does it have a good enough range? Should I stand really close to the stage? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:55:42 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Stump the band how about the Whistling Happy Face Wallmart Commercial (With Tuba)?? now THAT would be cool. and who's going to the Columbus, OH show on Dec 4?? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: minneapolis From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:32:03 EST On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:11:17 -0600 (CST) SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu writes: >Hello >This is to whoever was wondering who TMBG was playing with on November >29 in >Minneapolis. They are playing with Cub. It's gonna be a great show!! >-Heather Yes, I now know that. Cub origionally wrote NYC correct? _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: shirts From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:32:03 EST On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:24:12 -0600 (CST) SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu writes: >Hi everybody, >I wore my They Might Be Giants t-shirt to school one day. This person >I had >never met before came running up to me, and was all excited because >they loved >that band too. Okay, that was my story. >-Heather > Wow, that's deep...(not meant in a mocking way) _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: kids in the hall From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:32:03 EST On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:25:19 -0600 (CST) SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu writes: > >Hi everybody >Did any of you see the movie Kids in the Hall:Brain Candy? I haven't >seen it >yet, but, I heard that TMBG have a song in that movie. Does anyone >know if >it's a song they already have out on one of their cd's, or if it's a >new one? That would be Spiraling Shape. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 19:15:16 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Hootie Just wondering... is there a Hootie mailing list (there is a newsgroup) and if so, what are THEY saying about They Might Be Giants?!?!?!? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 19:17:28 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: cd >that Linnel mentioned specifically was the one with the grade school kids >singing Particle Man. > Aaron But, (IMHO) that isn't that great! It's pretty bad acctually! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:22:53 +1000 From: harper@rsc.anu.edu.au (Jason Harper) Subject: TMBG: Who Am I ? Hi everyone. I thought I was going to hate this thread but really enjoyed it, so just before it dies out I'll put in my bit. My name is Jason and I am 21 ... well, nearly 22. But I don't tend to act that way. I live down under, in Canberra - which happens to be Australia's capital. It is an artificial city and very few people are actually from Canberra - I am from Adelaide (we had a Grand Prix for a while there). I am here because I am studying to get my Ph.D. in Chemistry. I live in a share house with someone I went to primary school with and hadn't seen for 8 years until last year. I have what most people call weird, I prefer eclectic musical tapes. Them (of course!), Billy Joel, Beatles, Chuck Berry and a little bit of Clannad. I was lucky enough to see THEM live at the Unibar in the middle of last year (which made up for missing the Flood tour). Twistin' is just a brilliant song live. I also enjoy reading sci-fi (mainly Julian May and some Heinlein), going draining and Star Trek. So that's me ... Jason ******************************************************************************** "I find him infuriating." "That's just because you have wicked, evil thoughts about his body." Lane and Peyton, "Savannah" **************************************************************************** **** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:10:27 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: TMBG: Info Club letter not to sound like a cry baby but: WHERE'S *MY* INFO CLUB LETTER!?!?!?!? -- "Though I still prefer a human beings company, It pales before the monolith that towers over me," -They Might Be Giants, The Statue Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 05:24:26 -0800 Subject: TMBG: "You'll Miss Me" & "If I Wasn't Shy" Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > And in TMBG-Content-Land: > > Yes, I know that everybody hates the song "You'll Miss Me." But let's talk > about it anyway. The abrasive music tends to hide the lyrics, which is I've always loved this song, and I think one reason is that the "abrasive" music actually fits the lyrics quite well. The lyrics are probably among the most OVERTLY bitter They have ever written, and the harshness of the music and the screaming vocals lend exactly the right kind of feel. Lincoln was the second TMBG album I bought, and to me this song was one of many examples of the wide range of musical and lyrical styles They could successfully write, leading me into a further appreciation of their musical abilities. The end of this song, to me, is one of the most touching TMBG lines ever. After railing and screaming bitterly throughout the entire song, we finally discover that this person is hurt and we can finally sympathize with their pain. They can't even admit openly that they were crying. I also love the way the lyrics, particularly the ending lines, sound muffled and far away (as if from beyond the grave?). "It must be raining, 'cause a man ain't supposed to cry. But I look up, and I don't see a cloud." Beautiful song, in my opinion. > On a similar note, is anyone else a fan of "If I Wasn't Shy"? I realize > that, again, no one seems to like this, and the music is pretty weak. But > the lyrics are just so true -- anyone who's ever been shy knows what I'm > talking about here. A nice, whimsical, but insightful commentary on shyness. > Or whatever. :) I think the appeal to this song lies in sympathizing with the narrator. I mean, he's basically saying, "If only I wasn't so damn shy, I could do all of these REALLY cool things!" Tell me about it. Even the music itself is soft and unassuming, often overlooked (as, probably, is the narrator). I didn't realize these songs were so unpopular. To me, they are perfect examples of the range of TMBG musically and lyrically. But then, I always did like some of the more unpopular songs (yes, I love "Extra Savoir Faire"). Matt in Sacramento "Here comes the ice pick in the forehead!" - Frank Zappa "Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads" - TMBG ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 06:02:14 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Interview with Flans For those who are interested, there is an excellent interview with John Flansburgh on the web. Point your browser to: http://www.2launch.com/giants.html The interviewer knows quite a bit about the band (for a change) and asks some very good questions. Linnell was supposed to be in the interview, but it was done during the time he had laryngitis (it was the day of the House of Blues show). Check it out - it's definitely worth reading. Best Flans quote from the interview (referring to Their fans): "Oh, we're a freak magnet!" Yay us! Let's wave those freak flags higher and higher... Matt in Sacramento "Here comes the ice pick to the forehead" - Frank Zappa "Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads" - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:19:00 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Tick On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I used to get the New England Comics catalog (creator of the Tick) > in the mid-80s and I saw this Tick comic come along and thought...hmm > maybe I should get it, kinda cool. Then I thought it was just some > really stupid publicity stunt for N.E.C. So I never bought them. I > wish I had, I love the Tick (although i haven't seen many of his shows > as it's Saturday morning and I happen to be slumbering away then). Ahh > to be young and foolish. Are those originals worth anything? I think > they sold for a couple dollars at the time, maybe $1. Woulda been a > neat novelty item. > I too am a fan of The Tick. NEC didn't create it, though, Ben Edlund did. NEC is just the publisher. And yes, the originals are worth quite a lot by now... I think the first edition of the first comic would fetch quite a handsome price right now. The show is great, but unfortunately, Ben quit the comics scene to produce the show...for which I don't blame him, but I did love the comics so. The best character of all is the Chainsaw Vigilante..he hates superheroes and goes after them with his chainsaw to make them reform. He's a hoot. Most of the individual comics have been re-released, so check your local comic store...and they are also published in several omnibuses...definitely check The Tick comics out...the tv show too! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:22:58 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-shirts On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Jonah wrote: > What kind of reactions do you get? > Mainly, people just look at it- I think they are reading the words. Once, I was wearing my drinking birds shirt, and a girl commented on it, which led us to a whole discussion of Them, and I found out she was as big a fan as I am (well, almost! :) ) and I told her about and gave her the address to the list. I usually wear my worker johns shirt, though, and I have yet to get a reaction on it. Its kind of sad, though, because the main reason I wear the shirts is to meet other They fans! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:48:55 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Polk voting Ok... so far I have received 16 votes for which version of "James K. Polk" (Factory Showroom or Istanbul single) I should play on my show 11/4. If you have not voted, you can e-mail me personally until 1pm eastern on Sunday 11/3. The results will be posted later that afternoon. Craig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:54:10 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Well, whoever it was posted that "You'll Miss Me" is one of the saddest TMBG songs there is. I just have to say that "Ana Ng" is probably (in my mind) the saddest, or at least one of the more contemplative, songs that They play. Of course, there's always "The End of the Tour" as well... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "And it sticks like a broken record Everything sticks like a broken record Everything sticks until it goes away And the truth is we don't know anything..." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:09:40 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Don't forget They'll Need A Crane :) --Amy=20 =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7* Amy@tmbg.org Seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 >>>>>seta on IRC<<<<<< "This message means nothing=20 more than "meow" to an aminal" =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=20 ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: "You'll Miss Me" & "If I Wasn't Shy" From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:17:43 EST On Fri, 01 Nov 1996 05:24:26 -0800 bartush@calweb.com writes: >I also love the way the lyrics, particularly the >ending lines, sound muffled and far away (as if from beyond the >grave?). > > "It must be raining, 'cause a man ain't supposed to cry. > But I look up, and I don't see a cloud." > > Beautiful song, in my opinion. The line is from an Elvis song, "Kentucky Rain." Also called beautiful by some. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:52:49 EST I Am new hi everybody ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 96 03:54:23 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: TMBG: Music Central If you'd rather not read another review of FS then skip this. (Even if it's a good one (four out of five stars)) My apologies if this was already posted but I now have over 1200 unread messages, but I read all the review headings. I've been waiting for Microsoft's Music Central to review FS and here it is. "You gotta hand it to these guys: they make it seem so easy. They Might Be Giants have to be a record executive's dream  they've been steadily cranking out intelligent (and seemingly inexpensive) albums for years, and there ain't a dog in the bunch. Spearheaded by keyboardist John Linnell and guitarist John Flansburgh, TMBG graduated to a full quintet lineup on their last album, John Henry, yet remain essentially unchanged. That means their stock-in-trade is stringing together many good songs in a deceptively offhand collection that belies the wide range of influences and sharp compositional skills of Linnell and Flansburgh. Factory Showroom boasts everything from tricks picked up off Beach Boys records to a stinging send-up of the equally omnivorous British band XTC on "XTC Vs. Adam Ant" ("only one will survive/Beatle-based pop versus new romantic/history will decide"). Linnell and Flansburgh's droll sense of humor won't be to everyone's taste, and there are certainly moments when one wonders if there isn't a good reason why other people haven't written songs about James K. Polk, the public exhibition of dead bodies, and metal detectors, but you've got to admire the tenacity of a band that isn't a bit self-conscious about performing something that sounds like a tune dropped from the final score of Bye Bye Birdie. In the end, they're smart enough and they've really got the chops. Think of them as everything Steely Dan pretended they were  and too embarrassed to admit it. by Fred Goodman " http://www.musiccentral.msn.com/ThisWeekIn/Reviews/FactoryShowroom.htm Andreas S. Baeuchle Energizer A ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 23:04:15 -0500 From: Bill Laird Subject: TMBG: tour dates on tmbg.com The problem with the Tour Dates on TMBG.com is that the locations are skewed down a bit. You see, Bogarts is supposed to be next to Cincinnati (I know because I live near there, and will be playing there sometime after TMBG does). I think the Roxy is in Atlanta. SenSurround ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 23:17:26 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: XTC + OAT > it also employs Frank Black's lead guitarist Lyle Workman (who appears >nowhere on the Unsupervised credits) Ah, but check the Devil EP. I believe he also may have played on the original Mono Puff EP, but don't quote me on this. Anyway, he is part of the Mono Puff tour band. Oh, yeah...it's basically an MP song, but those keyboards are obviously Linnell's, for no reason other than Flansburgh doesn't play keyboard and no one is listed under "Keyboards" for the track. I think the reason Mono Puff was playing it was because they *knew* how to play it (since they recorded it for the album). >i support blue dawg & ruprecht... everyone knows that these 2 tend to >stir up the place a little bit, but i like to do that too (the great >buttknob incident for those of you who've been around awhile). Hahaha! Buttknobs forever! In sadder news related to this topic, Phil Bickel (Stompboxx) has just left alt.music.tmbg. In light of my recent goof-up regarding Ruprecht, my recent conversation with BlueDawg, and the appearance of an incredibly annoying and pissy person who goes by the handle of "Coiled" on a.m.t, I have decided to take upon myself the mantle passed down by Phil and Sean. I have learned my lesson; now is the time to put it to use. :) >Ok, what is "silly alt-rock cred"? I'm not sure, but I have a little anecdote to share with y'all regarding just such a thing. At a Toad The Wet Sprocket concert once, the lead singer, in an attempt to get the crowd to stop moshing, said "If you're moshing to maintain your alternative credibility, I think you should know that being at a Toad The Wet Sprocket concert automatically ruins it anyway." :) >(KITH: Brain Candy) I haven't seen it yet, but, I heard that TMBG have a song in that movie. Yes. For about three seconds. BTW, Kids In The Hall questions go to our friendly neighborhood Sarah, who has the horrible and flagrant misspelling in her username. :) >The abbreviation alt-rock annoys me as well Hey, didn't a certain person, goes by the name of John, use that phrase in his album hype? All of it? To the point where you go, "They aren't *alt-rock*, you cretin"? >Well, since "cred' is definitly not a word, I think that it was a typo >for the word "creed" which means a statement of beliefs , principles >or opinions. I assumed it stood for "credibility" or "credentials"...both of these words have been shortened to just "cred." >Walked by my towns least favorite record store today, and was somewhat >excited to see a Factory Showroom poster in the display window. Also, >they were selling XTC's oranges and lemons for six bucks. I've only >heard one XTC song, that Peter Pumpkinhead song or whatever, but I know >like half this list likes XTC, so any reccomendations as to whether or >not I should buy it? Yes. In fact, every single one of you should buy an XTC CD, right this moment. (Tell 'em, Sarah. :) The only problem: about half of XTC fans think it's a major kick-ass album; the other half (including me) don't really care for it all that much. IMHO, buy that one and "Nonsvch"...both resale for about $5.99, and if you don't like one, you'll like the other. Promise. :) >I just remembered once hearing a really cool cover of "suicide is >painless" (the theme from M.A.S.H.) >And I _think_ the artist that did the cover was XTC Somehow I don't see that happening. Anything's possible, though. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:31:02 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: milwaukee Hi everyone I am so so sad!! I can't find any ride from Madison to Milwaukee, so I will miss the concert at the end of November! This is awful. How will I ever exist? -Heather ------------------------------ From: bnjljy@ix.netcom.com Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:32:46 -0800 Subject: TMBG: TMBG MEDIA ARCHIVE I have recently obtained unlimited ftp space and unlimited www space. I plan to make a GIANT TMBG media archive, with sound clips, video clips, pictures, and other stuff. If you have a Sound clip etc, or a www site where I could get some Media, please tell me :) Thanks!!!!!! Your Hyper friend, Josh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:49:14 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: King of Wingo? Reprehensible? To WHOEVER said they had a ".wav" file of both or either of King of Wingo and Reprehensible: Where's your site at? Thanks, Cory PS. Just 17 days to the (Hootie-free!) big Seattle concert! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 00:06:22 EST Wow, this just occurred to me. I'm watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show on VH-1, and John Fugelsang (the host of the Picture Show thing VH-1 does) introduced a scene, describing Rocky Horror (go watch the movie, he's the love child of Tim Curry) as something-or-other in GOLD LAME'! This probably has nothing to do with Purple Toupee, as the movie came out in the 70's and PT is about the 60's, but it's the first time I've ever heard anyone say "gold lame'" without singing PT. Just thought I'd share that. Oh, yeah. I was looking through my 300 unread messages I have piled up from this list, and Muad.Dib@something.or.another.com asked if anyone knew the origin of his address. It's from one of the best sci-fi movies ever, Dune. fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org "Words fail. Buildings tumble. The ground opens wide. Light beams down from heaven. She stands before my eyes." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 00:57:59 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: King of Wingo? Reprehensible? On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Cory Calhoun wrote: > To WHOEVER said they had a ".wav" file of both or either of King of Wingo > and Reprehensible: > > Where's your site at? I don't know about the King Of Wingo .wav, but the Reprehensible .wav is at http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/tmbg/sounds.html Knock yourself out. Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy blah blah blah... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 01:35:38 +0500 From: Carissa Armstrong Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again At 12:06 AM 11/1/96 EST, you wrote: >Wow, this just occurred to me. I'm watching the Rocky Horror Picture >Show on VH-1, and John Fugelsang (the host of the Picture Show thing VH-1 >does) introduced a scene, describing Rocky Horror (go watch the movie, >he's the love child of Tim Curry) as something-or-other in GOLD LAME'! >This probably has nothing to do with Purple Toupee, as the movie came out >in the 70's and PT is about the 60's, but it's the first time I've ever >heard anyone say "gold lame'" without singing PT. Just thought I'd share >that. This is the best movie. I just got done playing Dr.Scott at the begining of the month. I'm made because I don't get VH1 so I can't watch it (but the only true way to watch it is live) I'm compensating though as I write this I'm listening to the last song on the soundtrack. But here some RHPS trivia Hootie's Darius Rucker learned how to sing by singing along with his mother RHPS soundtrack. So I guess it relates to Them another way. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Carissa Armstrong~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ carissa@vt.edu magenta@vt.edu ***Fantasy love is much better than reality love. Never doing it is very exciting. The most exciting attractions are between two opposites that never meet.*** Andy Warhol ***I feel like letting my freak flag fly! I feel like I owe it to someone.*** Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 10:57:49 -0800 From: Herne Subject: Non-TMBG:My XTC Recommendations To those who e-mailed me re: XTC...COOL!!! to those who haven't...the offer still stands. It's going to take me some time to think which to recommend but rest assured I shall. Herne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 11:05:01 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom at Last As I am intellectually opposed to paying list price for CD's I buy all of my new stuff used. Out here in L.A. used usually means brand new promo copies of everything from all the people who work in the business. The place where I shop gets all the new stuff pronto but FS proved to be quite elusive...so yes that's right all this time I didn't have it...until yesterday, the day I had given up and was going to pay full price...there it was for $8.99. But my review will have to wait as the list is about to launch. On the late frame, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 02:01:50 -0500 From: The Flying Pollock Subject: TMBG: Re: Let's do the time warp again At 01:35 AM 11/1/96 +0500, you wrote: >At 12:06 AM 11/1/96 EST, you wrote: I've noticed this to be a common trend among TMBG fans. I personally love Rocky Horror and I'd bet most of you do as well. What do the two have in common? Is it the message, or just the cooky music? Rocky Horror fans are ones to wave their freak flags.... By the way, I won the RHPS on VH1 contest last year. I just thought I would take the time to gloat over my dialing speed. Thank you. -=-=-The Flying Pollock>>>>>>Casey Grunnet-=-=- -=-=-=Jaluit22@aol.com-=-=-=-ckg110@psu.edu-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Jaluit on IRC-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=- "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful..."---They Might Be Giants -=-=-=-=TMBG-=-=-=-=-RockyHorror-=-=-=-=-=XFiles-=-=-= -=-=-The Flying Pollock>>>>>>>>Casey Grunnet=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ckg110@psu.edu-=-==-=-=Jaluit22@aol.com-=-=-Jaluit on IRC=-=-=-=-=- "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful"===>They Might Be Giants (~~~~~~TMBG~~~~~~Rocky Horror~~~~~~~XFiles~~~~~~~~~~~~~~) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-299 ******************************