Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 30 Tuesday, 30 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-29 re: mene tmbg-list Digest #2-29 (fwd) Re: you know.. Re: palindrome emordnilap Re: you know.. Tape Trading Responces TMBG on the Radio! Radio TMBG radio stuff... Re: Radio TMBG Re: TMBG tape trading Ana Ng mystery Re: flame incoming! Re: AKA Driver Re: you know.. Re: TMBG tape trading Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-29 WHOA THERE!!!!!!!! Re: Ben's Dial-A-Song Still Operational Mene mene tekel upharsin RE: TMBG snippets on the radio GOT GOOD STUFF! don't eat metal. HELLO came through! Re: TMBG on the Radio! Re: don't eat metal. Re: don't eat metal. Re: Radio TMBG Ana Ng mystery Re: TMBG on the Radio! Re: don't eat metal. Re: Radio TMBG Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:57:56 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-29 re: mene Ben or Been, or mene mene tekel upharsin, here. "Mene mene tekel upharsin" in Arabic means roughly "Numbered, numbered, weighed, and divided." Is has nothing to do with TMBG. That is, unless you want it to be related to TMBG. Check out more information on this nonsense-sounding phrase in a Webster's dictionary. Or check out some music by Right Said Fred on Ben's Dial-A-Song: (614) 823-2583 Always pluggin', always chuggin', Ben or Been Much Ado about Korzybski ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-29 (fwd) Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 9:16:26 EDT On Sun, 28 Jan 1996 M3MEEBKM@aol.com wrote: > Why is it that "palindrome" ISN'T one? Just thought I'd ask. > THE Erika It's a kind of palindrom of words, not letters. Check the lyrics of the bridge part. Then say the words in reverse. -- John J. Pletikapich john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 09:53:28 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: you know.. > you know, i really enjoy it when i frequently hear Them on the radio and on > tv, but i believe those stupid tv people should STOP playing snail > shell!!!!!!!!!!! between that and istanbul, i'm getting really > irritatted... > -- Yeah I agree, I think if their gonna play Them on TV they should play some of thier other stuff and it shouldn't be used as filler music on one of MTV's phunny little programs (Like the fake world or singled out). Clueless Person: "You like They Might be Giants, thier such a shitty band" TMBG FAN: "Yeah I like them" Clueless Person: "So you like listening to Instabul over and over again, what do they have out two or three songs? Thier so shitty they probally can't even get a record deal." TMBG FAN: "They have more than two or three songs, they have 100+ songs. Have you ever heard any of thier other music?" Clueless person: "Uh no" TMBG FAN: "Then how can you say they are shitty if you never heard any of thier songs" Clueless person: "Uh cuz the person on the radio said they were nerds that didn't know the english language" TMBG FAN: "Then what kinda of music do you consider not to be shitty" Clueless person: "Bush" TMBG FAN: "Enough said" End of story. That was an acutally converstation I had with someone. It just amazes me on how much a person can say something sucks without having heard the bulk of thier songs. But at least if they stay out of the spot light then not too many alterna teens will go to thier concerts (well some go and make be dicks to everyone else). Anyway that had nothing to do with this message so I'll stop now. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 11:08:23 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: palindrome emordnilap > Why is it that "palindrome" ISN'T one? Just thought I'd ask. > THE Erika > Beacuse english is never that logical or that simple. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 11:17:51 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: you know.. > WHFS(99.1) in DC, and Baltimore plays a TMBG song about once a week. Stuff > like Don't lets Start, Ang ng, Birdhouse, Snail Shell. But I'm at school and I > can't get HFS and we only get crap, from Ronoke, VA at leaest you get crap from > NY AND Philly. > Well I live in the MD/DC area. I would have to say that they do play them sometimes (not extrodinally a lot). Its pretty cool when they do (Expect when that bastard Taz is in). But still even though they do play them, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to play a They song though. Hey and also vt.edu wouldn't happen to be Virginia Tech would it? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 11:36:45 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Tape Trading Responces Well, I finally got done reading all(?) if the responces to the free tape trading idea. The respone was greater than I expected it to be. And if you send me a request and I didn't respond to it, it means that I accidently skipped over so just send me it again. Anyway there are two points that I need help on. First since my firewall here keeps people from acessing my home page, I need someone to that will put up a section for this under thier pages or if someone that is a sysadin would set up an account that I could telnet into and maintain the pages from there that would be helpful. But if a person wants to keep this up all they have to do is move the files I uuencode to them about every day or so. (for now i will be handeling the request by email until I could write a cgi script that could do the things i want). If your intrested email me. Also if someone could set up an email account that I could just handel request from, I would appericate that too. Keeping them seperate would cut down on the confusion for me and hopefully would avoid lost request. I'll post my ideas and how the system will work probally tommorow when I have time to type it all up. Anyway keep the request/responces going. And as a reminder, if you are a sysadmin and you can give me a free shell account for handeling this, I would greatly appericate it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:07:45 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: TMBG on the Radio! 'Nette- (et al:) There is this public radio station from Philly that plays TMBG periodically. ANd they have a really cool show for little kids every night at 8 pm, and hardly a night goes by when they don't play Them, as well as Moxie Fruvus (Spelling, please!!) and tons of other good stuff--mixed up with some goofy kids music. Unfortunately, I dont' remember the call numbers. 88.5 or something? IT actually broadcasts from several towns, vial sattelight, I suppose. Like I waid, it's Public Radio,so it'sll be at the bottom of the dial. Well worth the search. Concert Info, too. They had a bebop monday last week, and they always celebrate the end of the work week with Funky Friday. Also, they often have various bands, good bands, as live guests in the studio. I'm new to the area, and pleased as punch to find such a station. Also, its very professionally done. No bone-headed clooege (sorry! you know the type, though) radio-personality-wanna-be's umming and humming and tryng to use "cool voices" while tearing up the airwaves with their personal interprutations of "alternative music" One word of warning, though: IT does tout it self as a "progressive" station, which can have some scarey immagery, too. There are lots of guitar-strummin' post-hippie-types belting out cliches that sound good together because they rhyme, so they think that makes them sound deep. Healthy listening for the cynical minded. But, as I said, there is a fair share of musical PRIZES, too. Wasting my time today at Princeton... Miss JOni... When will the sun ever shine? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 10:48:37 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: Radio TMBG > Where are you hearing Them on TV & radio?!? According to the stations by > me, They do not exist. I'm so jealous. I don't even get to hear Istanbul! > (grump) If you know of any NY or Philly stations that broadcast TMBG, let > me know...... I would like to hear snail shell....... the only TMBG i've heard on the radio (excluding campus radio) was on minnesota public radio. it was some kind of dance remix of Istanbul, and an extremely lame one at that. they just took a drum machine and mixed it into the original track. it was really painful to listen to, and then to add insult to injury, the announcer came on and said "that was the might be giants". not they, THE. man, did that hurt... -- -----<[([ Josh Raulerson, King of the Little People })]>----- BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu * :)-- <-- drooling smiley The Fauves Homepage: http://www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html "Once I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)!"### ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: radio stuff... Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:17:40 +0000 (GMT) Me again, tmbg-people!! I am reading all these radio debates with interest; and would like to advertise my favourite station (do I miss it now I'm out in the Midlands..).GLR in London. They are the best station in Britain for playing a whole lot of Giants' stuff, sometimes not even the singles. One DJ even called Them "possibly the finest rock 'n' roll band in the world at the moment", and hey! for here, that's astute... Here, for your (I hope), amusement, is a conversation heard on said station late at night. An American is on the phone, and has been asked for his top 3 albums. His second favourite is Apollo 18; I missed some of the conversation, but it starts with him describing the band.. "mellifluity...over-mellifluity!" DJ"...the old..er...They did Birdcage In Your Soul, is that the band you're thinking of? "That's right. They're an amazing band.."(goes on to describe Dial-A-Song) "That's Fantastic!" "They just churn 'em out." "Wow..I wonder if that'll catch on over here? Like Dial-A-Pizza, and if They don't have a song within half an hour, you get a free one?" "Not as spicy though." "No,I'd imagine not..." One more thing. I lent my copy of Flood to another Physio here. She loved it, and bought the CD. I was pleased! Then she says to me this morning "..er, Nicola,about that tape of yours..erm..it seems to have..stretched.Sorry!" Just what I need when my next door neighbour is into "Pop tunes on the Pan-Pipes" and the others,Robson and Jerome!! Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 13:51:18 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Radio TMBG > > Where are you hearing Them on TV & radio?!? According to the stations by > > me, They do not exist. I'm so jealous. I don't even get to hear Istanbul! > > (grump) If you know of any NY or Philly stations that broadcast TMBG, let > > me know...... I would like to hear snail shell....... > > the only TMBG i've heard on the radio (excluding campus radio) was on > minnesota public radio. it was some kind of dance remix of Istanbul, and an > extremely lame one at that. they just took a drum machine and mixed it into the > original track. it was really painful to listen to, and then to add insult to > injury, the announcer came on and said "that was the might be giants". not they, > THE. man, did that hurt... > That was probally the Brownsville Remix of Istanbul. Yes that is a They song but it does take some getting used to. Did it have a message that said "This is a recording" repeat over and over. If so that was it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:09:31 -0500 (EST) From: Joseph A Oettinger Subject: Re: TMBG tape trading I agree, let's get more tapes in circulation. Is taping allowed at the shows? ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Ana Ng mystery Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 13:15:39 -0600 Ana Ng was never met by the narrator of the song. "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence" They were both at the 64 world's fair, and they were close to meeting, but never ran into each other. "Who was at the DuPont pavillion? Why was the bench still warm who had been there?" Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:17:54 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: flame incoming! the "flame incoming message was one of the funniest things i've read all year, so far... Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu 1635 Shady Ave. Pittsburgh, PA 15217 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:30:01 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: AKA Driver copyright stuff with NyQuil (they weren't allowed to print the word NYQuil in the lyrics) On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Andy Friedman wrote: > Hey world, > Out of curiosity, why aren't the AKA Driver lyrics in the John Henry fold? > I've been told it isn't by them but, and I quote it: > All songs They Might Be Giants except "AKA Driver" TMBG/Maimone/Doherty > It's not like they are doing a songs someone else wrote--did they just run > out of room or what? I mean, if I remember correctly (please tell me if I'm > wrong), Saphire Bullets is by the Meat Puppets and they still put the > lyrics in the Flood fold! Tell! > > Want: > I Palindrome I Single (Cabbagetown, especially) > The Power of Dial-A-Song > Any Bootlegs > Access to a concert...;) > > Since someone complained, here's what's on Super Suit at the moment: > 25)Pencil Rain 24)They Might Be Giants 23)32 Footsteps 22)Particle Man > 21)Dead 20)Istanbul (Not...) 19)Rhythm Section Want Ad 18)Spy (why) > 17)AKA Driver 16)Fingertips 15)Shoehorn with Teeth > 14)Birdhouse In Yr Soul 13)Space Suit 12)Narrow Yr Eyes > 11)They'll Need a Crane 10)I Palindrome I 9)Mammal > 8)Put Yr Hand Inside the Puppet Head 7)Meet James Ensor > 6)I Should Be Allowed to Think 5)Destination Moon 4)Snail Shell > 3)Why Must I Be Sad? 2)Ana Ng 1)The End of the Tour > > Remember,these are my opinions. Please send yours--riserboy@aol.com. > Sorry this is so f'n long. > Dad palindrome dad dad emordnilap dad > I palindrome I I emordnalip I > ===>Noixe, AKA Riser Boy, AKA Andy. > http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/Noixep/htm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 15:41:51 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: you know.. On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > > you know, i really enjoy it when i frequently hear Them on the radio and on > > tv, but i believe those stupid tv people should STOP playing snail > > shell!!!!!!!!!!! between that and istanbul, i'm getting really > > irritatted... > > -- > > Yeah I agree, I think if their gonna play Them on TV they should play some of thier other stuff and it shouldn't be used as filler music on one of MTV's phunny little programs (Like the fake world or singled out). > > Clueless Person: "You like They Might be Giants, thier such a shitty band" > TMBG FAN: "Yeah I like them" > Clueless Person: "So you like listening to Instabul over and over again, what do they have out two or three songs? Thier so shitty they probally can't even get a record deal." > TMBG FAN: "They have more than two or three songs, they have 100+ songs. Have you ever heard any of thier other music?" > Clueless person: "Uh no" > TMBG FAN: "Then how can you say they are shitty if you never heard any of thier songs" > Clueless person: "Uh cuz the person on the radio said they were nerds that didn't know the english language" > TMBG FAN: "Then what kinda of music do you consider not to be shitty" > Clueless person: "Bush" > TMBG FAN: "Enough said" > > End of story. That was an acutally converstation I had with someone. It just amazes me on how much a person can say something sucks without having heard the bulk of thier songs. But at least if they stay out of the spot light then not too many alterna teens will go to thier concerts (well some go and make be dicks to everyone else). Anyway that had nothing to do with this message so I'll stop now. > Well..I'd have to say its worse when you actually find an alter-teen who's heard only one song, (ie: Istanbul, or Particle Man) and they want to hear it over and over and refuse to sample anything else..Its terrible...damn people are taking over the world..trendies everywhere :).. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 15:41:41 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: TMBG tape trading > I agree, let's get more tapes in circulation. Is taping allowed at the > shows? > > > Well, it depends on what shows you goto. Some shows they allow you (and encourage you) to take recording devices, other shows you just have to sneak the stuff in. Either way, after the shows over, its not hurting anyone by having it. ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:16:18 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-29 In a message dated 96-01-29 03:35:03 EST, you write: > Saphire Bullets is by the Meat Puppets and they still put the >lyrics in the Flood fold! Tell! what in the hell are you talking about? Whirlpool is the only meat puppet song that tmbg covered... what are you smoking and why aren't you sharing? the plaguerat...a big meat puppet fan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:31:34 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: WHOA THERE!!!!!!!! anybody remember just why the list started to go downhill the last time? well i tell you all, in case you forgot. it was the public flame-ings that made it like that. just to draw attention from all of this i think i'll start quoting lyrics wrong again. just chill out and if you must flame, do it personally and don't involve the list. AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.... talking about videos, i've seen all the videos on the Misc T. video collection and i've seen the tiny toons ones, and twice, i've seen the video for Birdhouse while both times Birdhouse was on MTV. but the neato thing is, it's on the semi decent part of MTV that is 120 minutes that is on sunday nights from midnight until 2am. recently, they even had Tori Amos (another favorite of mine). it may be hard to stay up that late, but for me, it's worth is to catch the video for Birdhouse (my favorite TMBG video, it's so very well done). a while ago (1.5 years) TMBG hosted it, and played WDTSS (which i have on video). although 120 minutes sometimes plays crap, they are still the last hope against the evilness of MTV. go ask a real punk what he thinks of Green Day... i dare you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 17:14:39 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: Ben's Dial-A-Song Still Operational Ok, Ben (or Been), what about General Semantics? 'Nette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 15:58:03 MST Subject: Mene mene tekel upharsin Mene mene tekel upharsin These were the words written by the finger of God on the wall, condemning a certain King of Babylon. I think it was Belshazzar, who was overthown the very next day. Daniel the prophet interpreted the meaning of the words to the king, as recorded in the Old Testament of the Bible. Read it, it's a great story. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 16:00:27 MST Subject: RE: TMBG snippets on the radio KTCL in Ft Collins, CO plays "Minimum Wage" as a link between news stories often. Then the talk over the music. But that song is so short, it's usually played in full. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: GOT GOOD STUFF! Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 15:05:15 -0800 (PST) Hey all-- I just recently got the minidisc of "Don't Let's Start" and the record version of Their Pink Album!!! I am so happy! (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:49:03 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: don't eat metal. i really like lebo's idea about recording and compiling a tape of different members/groups of the list doing songs, but i have an idea that we can either run with or ditch. we could assign the different segments of the song "fingertips" to different groups, and then we could compile all of the parts for one magnificent collaboratory "fingertips". yay or nay? aims. ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ "Be a virus, see the world." aimee elisabeth pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 17:47:49 +0700 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: HELLO came through! ................................................................................ HOOORAY! I went to my mailbox today and FINALLY, I found the good package from the great folks at HELLO CD of the month. Way back in October, I ordered all of the back issues. I just got a shipment of 28 CDs! Four of them are TMBG CDs! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAY! "I never know what I'm gonna find when I open up my letterbox tomorrow!" It even has the Live in NYC CD! I have to go listen to 'em now. I had to write to the list first! Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 19:38:38 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: Re: TMBG on the Radio! Miss JOni, yes, the station you are thinking of IS 88.5 in the philly/trenton area. i listen to it every day on my way to work (if not listening to a TMBG tape or something). and the kid show is great. for everyone else in this area, a few other good stations are 103.9 (at the dead of night, like two to five in the morning. they play interesting songs sometimes, skip it otherwise. too many commercials). another good station is 103.3 (princeton's radio station). jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com I will deal with reality when reality can deal with me. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 19:40:32 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: don't eat metal. It would be a great idea to break up "fingertips"; however, how would we be assured a clean mix, as well as continuities of keys, tempos, and, yes, recording quality? I think that having different people do individual tunes would be a better idea...... not to mention a little more fun. :) BTW, I have nothing against the changing of the key for performing one of Their songs. In fact, I need to adjust many of them just so that I can sing the songs without hurting myself!! But this is getting to be mind drool....... Luv, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 20:52:12 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: don't eat metal. I think it's a great idea to do the fingertips idea and the other songs too. Why just do one or the other? ==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!=hey! Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu 1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, 'Nette Frost wrote: > It would be a great idea to break up "fingertips"; however, how would we > be assured a clean mix, as well as continuities of keys, tempos, and, > yes, recording quality? I think that having different people do > individual tunes would be a better idea...... not to mention a little > more fun. :) > > BTW, I have nothing against the changing of the key for performing one of > Their songs. In fact, I need to adjust many of them just so that I can > sing the songs without hurting myself!! > > But this is getting to be mind drool....... > > Luv, > 'Nette > > ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' > "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ > -------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- > "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- > ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- > Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu > `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Radio TMBG Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:12:59 -0500 (EST) I actually rather enjoy the Brownsville mix a lot, I love it when the guy says "That's no white tornado, that's a real tornado, you ain't in NYC baby!" Matt > > > > Where are you hearing Them on TV & radio?!? According to the stations by > > > me, They do not exist. I'm so jealous. I don't even get to hear Istanbul! > > > (grump) If you know of any NY or Philly stations that broadcast TMBG, let > > > me know...... I would like to hear snail shell....... > > > > the only TMBG i've heard on the radio (excluding campus radio) was on > > minnesota public radio. it was some kind of dance remix of Istanbul, and an > > extremely lame one at that. they just took a drum machine and mixed it into the > > original track. it was really painful to listen to, and then to add insult to > > injury, the announcer came on and said "that was the might be giants". not they, > > THE. man, did that hurt... > > > That was probally the Brownsville Remix of Istanbul. Yes that is a They song but it does take some getting used to. Did it have a message that said "This is a recording" repeat over and over. If so that was it. > -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Ana Ng mystery Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:15:33 -0500 (EST) > > Ana Ng was never met by the narrator of the song. "Ana Ng and I are > getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's > majestic presence" They were both at the 64 world's fair, and they were > close to meeting, but never ran into each other. "Who was at the DuPont > pavillion? Why was the bench still warm who had been there?" The psycho was at the DuPont favilion! Oh wait nevermind I'm thinking of Johnny DuPont, my mistake ;) -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 22:01:27 -0500 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: Re: TMBG on the Radio! At 07:38 PM 1/29/96 EST, you wrote: > yes, the station you are thinking of IS 88.5 in the philly/trenton >area. i listen to it every day on my way to work (if not listening to a >TMBG tape or something). and the kid show is great. for everyone else in >this area, a few other good stations are 103.9 (at the dead of night, like >two to five in the morning. they play interesting songs sometimes, skip it >otherwise. too many commercials). another good station is 103.3 >(princeton's radio station). I'm pretty sure, figuring the signal for the station gets out that far, that the 88.5 you're talking about is Monmouth University's station. It's located on the Jersey Shore, in West Long Branch, NJ. They're really good.. 103.3 is Princton University's station, as well. Another good station for the people in the NJ area, is WHTG-FM, 106.3.. They do play a good deal of They, along with alot of different other music.. In fact, TMBG performed at their Christmas show back in December (which was a great show, as a matter of fact.) +--- Edicius (Tom Sullivan) - Head Editor, Jonas E'zine http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/1063/ - unofficial whtg-fm homepage! "I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea, if by random whim one occurs to me." +--- ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:07:34 -0700 Subject: Re: don't eat metal. >I think it's a great idea to do the fingertips idea and the other songs >too. Why just do one or the other? WHY NOT SUBMIT IT TO HIM AS A SONG OPTION RATHER THAN BEING DUMB RABID CHILD SO THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE ON AOL ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 00:19:47 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: Radio TMBG On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I actually rather enjoy the Brownsville mix a lot, I love it > when the guy says > "That's no white tornado, that's a real tornado, you ain't in NYC baby!" > Matt I thought it was an old lady...? oh, well-- love you all! Fran aka the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-30 *****************************