Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-300 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 300 Saturday, 2 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: REVIEW: Mpls TMBG/Hootie Halloween Show Re: TMBG: REVIEW: Mpls TMBG/Hootie Halloween Show TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-299 Re: TMBG: Info Club letter TMBG: 13 Wonder, Happy Guy, FAQ, Info, Hern! TMBG: Tiny Toons Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans TMBG: RE: review TMBG: John, John And Suzanne!!! Re: TMBG: Minneapolis TMBG: tour dates TMBG: Re: Yet another top 5... TMBG: "screen saver" TMBG: RE: Interview with Flans TMBG: RE: Interview with Flans TMBG: Spin-Online chat and AOL. TMBG: TMBG Minneapolis TMBG: shirts, xtc, kith, hootie Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again TMBG: tmbg: tower records ny Re: TMBG: "screen saver" TMBG: article TMBG: Giant Dreams! Re: TMBG: John, John And Suzanne!!! Re: TMBG: 13 Wonder, Happy Guy, FAQ, Info, Hern! Re: TMBG: XTC + OAT TMBG: XTC serves TMBG with C & D TMBG: adam ant Re: TMBG: XTC + OAT TMBG: OH, Chicago shows. Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again TMBG: Just a reminder TMBG: My fave XTC stuff TMBG: Wingo TMBG: tour dates on tmbg.com TMBG: Columbus, OH Show Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again Re: TMBG: Who Am I ? Re: TMBG: XTC + OAT TMBG: Interview with Flans TMBG: Dail A song Online Re: TMBG: Dail A song Online Re: TMBG: Dail A song Online TMBG: TMHFO=32 Footsteps TMBG: Dr. Spock's TMBG: My DAS Recordings Re: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver Re: TMBG: Spin-Online chat and AOL. Re: TMBG: Giant Dreams! Re: TMBG: My DAS Recordings Re: TMBG: XTC serves TMBG with C & D TMBG: Suzanne Vega Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: REVIEW: Mpls TMBG/Hootie Halloween Show Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 01:45:34 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts Went to see TMBG and Hootie and the Blowfish at Target Center (Minneapolis, MN). The crowd was dotted with TMBG shirts; I and two of my compatriots wore the Drunk Bird shirts and brough two banners, a small "Freak Flag" which we waved (wove?) during the appopriate line in HCISLAG, and a larger TMBG logo. Due to our position stage right, at an angle to the stage, it was difficult to "aim" the banners. Here's the TMBG setlist. Order is approximate, but we believe all songs played are listed: Lady is a Tramp (on CD, not performed. It's one of the songs with rather punchy bass - other big one is Larger than Life) New York City Until My Head Falls Off How Can I Sing Like a Girl Spiralling Shape Istanbul Why Does the Sun Shine (fast version) Pet Name Spy S.E.X.X.Y. (Flans: "This song is dedicated to the people we love the most: the ladies.") Snail Shell Birdhouse in Your Soul Total time: almost exactly 45 minutes. Thanks to tips from the list about Them appearing later, we stuck around for a bit. After a reasonable delay (15/20 minutes?) Hootie took the stage, and played the first song wearing masks in the Halloween spirit. They played a couple songs, then advised everyone to "go buy Factory Showroom. And while you're there, pick up Fairweather Johnson [Hootie's latest, but you all knew that already]. We might be seeing more of them later in the show." And so we did. They invited Graham Maby back on to play with them on acoustic guitar for "What's So Funny About Peace and Love". They STOPPED "I Only Wanna Be With You" IN THE MIDDLE to bring Jim O'Connor and Randy Andos onstage. Then Jim (I think, couldn't see well) requested that the lighting folks set up "club" lighting. So they dimmed the lights and added more fog. The Hootie guitarist said, "This is how the song is SUPPOSED to sound." And they picked up in the middle of IOWBWY right where they left off. My friends forced me to leave (more or less) after the encore began with no sign of Johns. Another friend of mine, who was there to see Hootie for some reason, informed me later that yes, the Johns did come back in the 2nd or 3rd encore, and they played a song "that neither one plays normally". It's amazing the multiple tragedies a spilt beer can create. I was somewhat surprised at the age of the audience; most were late 20-40 year olds. I guess I overestimated the "teen appeal" of Hootie. Oddly enough, TMBG being openers has its advantages; we could never have gotten away with waving a large banner, blocking a few rows of people from seeing, if They were the main band. Also, there's a special feeling when you're the only ones in sight standing, dancing, and screaming. A woman in the row behind us asked my friend scott who They were a few songs into their set. We considered doing the same a few songs into Hootie's. Before the show, They skipped out on sound check and went to Rev105, our local "REAL alternative" radio station, which was announced on this list earlier (THANK YOU RIK!). They played a few songs live, including Ana Ng, How Can I Sing Like a Girl, and New York City. My friend Kim got a partial tape of it; I'll be posting a transcript to the list Real Soon Now. Rev105 also has an online chat service on their web page (www.rev105.com), where you could ask questions of Them. Someone decided to ask if Birdhouse is about a nightlight, which garnered a response that can be rephrased succinctly as "well, DUH." Later, they had a trivia contest for tickets to Friday's "Pachyderm Session", where They will apparently be recording song(s) for the "Pachyderm Sessions" CD's - I don't know if these are strictly locally released or whatnot; I'll let you know, because I won :) The question was: "On which Nickelodeon show did TMBG play the Sun Song many years ago?" (The answer for the curious, is "NICK ROCKS!", which I knew thanks to the Dial-a-song Online recording of it, which I can't find at the moment. We'll be bringing the banner and Freak Flag to the session if possible (they fold rather nicely.) I've bored you all enough. Have a nice night, and remember: just a few more days/weeks till the REAL TOUR... P.S. for people near Minneapolis: cub will be playing The Whole in Coffman Union at the University of Minnesota tonight (Nov. 1st). I'm not sure how cub and They happened to be in town at the same time without knowing it... ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: REVIEW: Mpls TMBG/Hootie Halloween Show Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 01:49:50 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of yours truly: >with no sign of Johns. Another friend of mine, who was there to see >Hootie for some reason, informed me later that yes, the Johns did come >back in the 2nd or 3rd encore, and they played a song "that neither >one plays normally". It's amazing the multiple tragedies a spilt beer Another friend, wiser in the ways of They, insists that neither john was present for this song ("Without Love" by the Bee Gees(?)), rather everyone else in the band (Graham, Randy, Jim, Eric(?)) was. I still wish I'd seen it. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 03:15:02 -0500 From: MajorDomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 03:21:49 -0500 (EST) From: Helene Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-299 Just wanted to let you, if you didn't already that there will be afree show at Tower Records in New York on 4th and Broadway... the show starts at 4.... Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such piece and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 03:37:52 -0500 (EST) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: TMBG: Info Club letter On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Colin Ferm wrote: > not to sound like a cry baby but: > > WHERE'S *MY* INFO CLUB LETTER!?!?!?!? > Colin, join the club, baby. (Not the info club, the "I didn't get my newsletter" club). This may be the perfect time to remind everyone that I have not gotten anything from the info club since fall 1994 despite signing to the list 4 times since then, once as Rolf Conant. I think they think I am either dead or in prison, and all I can say in response to that is, I am still alive, and they could not get the charges to stick. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 03:58:08 -0500 Subject: TMBG: 13 Wonder, Happy Guy, FAQ, Info, Hern! Hello 41- Track 13 Wonder- I wonder if Gloria or her friend ever heard anything else from There May Be Giants. I wonder if either of them would walk through a record store and think, hmmmm... They Might Be Giants, that sounds weird. And hear themseleves... I find it strange that complete strangers know by heart (at least I do) an insignificant conversation that they didn't know was being taped... Happy Guy- I ordered that shirt last Christmas... I'll try again this Christmas. I was thinking of making volleyball team shirts for my team with that guy on front with our team name on back. I'd like it. Early Years FAQ- There are a few things I wonder abou this. First, how come "they" don't just combine the FAQs, for a huge, encompassing FAQ? Second, whenever I get an address for an old FAQ, it never works... Hope this one does. Info Club- I still say the Info club doesn't really like me. I haven't gotten this newsletter. I don't know if I will. I will re-order my shirts eventually, and am really looking forward to them. Hern Berfer- Who remembers this guy? He was the "field reporter" on Dave Coulier's really old and now non-exsistant Nickelodeon show "Out of Control". One of my fave moments in TV history is when Hern came out with his brand new sport "flimbock". It is hysterical. Whenever I see Mr. Herne post, I think of it. Adam It does not move me, even though I saw the movie. ------------------------------ From: "Jon Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:52:10 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toons Does anyone know the title of the episode in which Flood is featured in Tiny Toons? I missed it, but have a friend with lots, and lots of videos. He doesn't know which one it is (if we were talking about RHPS he'd be more than a virgin) but does anyonwe out there! __________________________ /This happy squirrel says: \ | Goodbye from | | j.vile@roehampton.ac.uk | \_______ ________________/ \ | \| |\__/| .~ ~. /o=o'`./ .' {o__, \ { / . . ) \ `-` '-' \ } .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _| ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans Date: Fri, 1 Nov 96 7:55:21 18000 > > Best Flans quote from the interview (referring to Their fans): > > "Oh, we're a freak magnet!" > > Yay us! Let's wave those freak flags higher and higher... > > > Matt in Sacramento > > "Here comes the ice pick to the forehead" - Frank Zappa > "Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads" - TMBG Hmm, I don'tknow about anyone else, but I dislike being called a freak, especially with its new denomination or sect it describes. Everyone claims to be a freak. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: RE: review Date: Fri, 1 Nov 96 9:11:29 EDT From: John Pletikapich >[first part of review deleted]... Linnell and Flansburgh's droll sense of >humor won't be to everyone's taste, and there are certainly moments when one >wonders if there isn't a good reason why other people haven't written songs >about James K. Polk, the public exhibition of dead bodies, and metal >detectors, but you've got to admire the tenacity of a band that isn't a bit >self-conscious about performing something that sounds like a tune dropped from >the final score of Bye Bye Birdie. In the end, they're smart enough and >they've really got the chops. Think of them as everything Steely Dan pretended >they were ' and too embarrassed to admit it. > >by Fred Goodman " What exactly does the Steely Dan comment mean? I think Steely Dan was a great band! I don't think they pretended to be anything... I don't see what he's getting at with the "too embarrassed to admit it" line. -- john ------------------------------ From: Stoddart Date: Fri, 1 Nov 96 14:37:12 GMT Subject: TMBG: John, John And Suzanne!!! Does anyone know what the Johns contributed to Suzanne Vegas' album 'Days Of Open Hand' ??? They were credited on the sleeve for being helpful or something, my memory doesn't serve me too well but I think that's the general gist.... Lee P904772@tees.ac.uk ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 10:30:52 -0600 From: Rik Gran Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Minneapolis Chris forgot to add one thing about They's appearance on Rev105 yesterday evening. They played some really groovin' background music to the traffic report. It was reminiscent of I94 at Minn 280 heading west with a little bit of Sim-City thrown in for flavor. And, hay CBongo, Rik = Vespers. See you tonight. And what is this about Rev having three transmitters. That's looney. Rik ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:36:52 CST Subject: TMBG: tour dates Are there tour dates posted beyond October on the website now? I can't get to them becasue the server crashes everyday here, and now we can't use Netscape. Oh. the wonders of technology, right? Wonders of a PAIN IN MY ASS I would say! So if someone could post them or email me or something that would be greatly appreciated. That is if you haven't already. And you probably have, I'm just the dumbass that never reads the list on time. Thanks ------------------------------ From: "slkey1@student.monash.edu.au" Subject: TMBG: Re: Yet another top 5... Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 23:24:28 +1100 It still hasn't arrived in Melbourne yet. I'm not happy. Apparently Gaslight have got a few illegal copies but won't sell any of them. None of the other stores have even heard that a new They album is soon to be released. Sarah.========================================================= SLKEY1@MFS02.cc.monash.edu.au ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: "screen saver" Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 12:51:42 EST I can't remember if anyone else already said this, but to be on the safe side: I looked for the screen saver thing in the windows95 page and I found a thing that you can download called the "tmbg desktop theme," which is free and they also have a "different (and better) tmbg desktop theme" which is shareware I really don't know anything about computers but at the top it said that in order to use the themes you need microsoft plus, which i don't know if i have or not... the address is http://www.windows95.com/apps/themest_z.html I guess you just click on it and it downloads it but I didn't becasue my computer is hooked up to the network yet so I wouldn't do anything if I did download it.. If anyone gets it, can you tell me how to do it and what it has in it? thanks much, jan. ps. i was a guy made of dots and lines for halloween, i wore all black and taped white circles to my wrists and ankles and torso and then connected them with strips of paper and then, on the back taped lyrics...and no one except really cool suitemate tina (she's really into them too) had heard it so i was glad that i had done that or else i would have had to explain it twenty bill times...someone asked what's tmbg and someone else started singing particle man...ah well, such is life. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:24:32 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: RE: Interview with Flans I tried to get to the Flans interview by using "www.2lauch.com/giants.html". However, I got a message saying that it wasn't a valid address. I dinked around and discovered that "www.launchonline.com/giants.html" IS the right one. Just sharing. Cory ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: RE: Interview with Flans Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 13:46:38 -0500 (EST) > > I tried to get to the Flans interview by using "www.2lauch.com/giants.html". > However, I got a message saying that it wasn't a valid address. I dinked > around and discovered that "www.launchonline.com/giants.html" IS the > right one. Just sharing. The address you said www.2lauch.com/giants.html will not work but www.2lauNch.com/giants.html (w/a lower case n) will work. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 13:52:51 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Spin-Online chat and AOL. As far as I know, since people have written me mail to ask, the Spin-Online chat is only on AOL. If some one can find any other information to the contrary, please share. Just plug in your AOL disk, get your fifty free hours, go to the Spin-Online chat, and then come on down to Cowtown, the TMBG folder and chat room on AOL to use up the rest of those hours. Sorry for repeating information which someone already posted to the list, but I've gotten mail about the chat access since that message was posted. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 13:19:48 -0600 From: Rik Gran Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: TMBG Minneapolis Just a couple thoughts for you to ponder (that is what newsgroups are for!) I just read through alt.music.tmbg for the first time. In case you haven't noticed, there are some rather nasty people there posting some rather nasty stuff. I hope you all don't fall into that fateful trap. (I recognized some posters from this group too, so some of you already know.) This morning on Rev 105 they did a "Below the Surface" which is a slick-produced feature where the music director interviews the band with snips of tracks and one full song. (If they played it this morning, they might play the same one this evening). Maybe they were interviewed at a bad time, or maybe the wintry weather got them down (its snowing here), but J and J didn't sound very good. They sounded tired, exhausted. I don't have any quotes, but the impression I got was that they were going through a tough time just right now, or are just recovering from a difficult time. They were saying things that I imagine two lovers would say in public after a fight, and saying them with just the sort of a lack of enthusiasm you might expect. I realize I am psychoanalyzing (which is out of my field...I am a physicist). Maybe the hootie fans are not so receptive and it gets them down. Maybe they really do read the crap on alt.music.tmbg. So many maybes. Hopefully it is just a phase and they will pull out of it. Or maybe I am just wrong. Gotta get back to skull. Rik ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:37:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: shirts, xtc, kith, hootie "The digest is 2-300 years old....2-300 years old, sure I'd say that's old.." ;) >also since i wear TMBG sshirts so much many people like to >get sarcastic and say " you like that band dont you? " Yeah, I have 4 so far (plan to get more for christmas!), and people say stuff like "you wear that shirt all the time.." ::sigh:: I guess they just remember the name... >Just wondering... is there a Hootie mailing list (there is a >newsgroup) and if so, what are THEY saying about They Might >Be Giants?!?!?!? Yah! Let's go do some lurking!!! :D >BTW, Kids In The Hall questions go to our friendly >neighborhood Sarah, who has the horrible and flagrant >misspelling in her username. :) That's only because AOL has a 10 letter maximum! It's not my fault!!!! :0 >Yes. In fact, every single one of you should buy an XTC CD, >right this moment. (Tell 'em, Sarah. :) Yup. :) I got O+A for...8 dollars at Record Town ::shudder::, and picked up Nonsuch for 7 dollars at a used cd store the next week. My fave is Nonsuch. Okay. Question time. Am I the only one who can't control the urge to break into "Where's my baby I don't know, 32 footstps counted 'em myself 32 footsteps.." in the middle of TMHFO??? ~sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:37:36 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again >Wow, this just occurred to me. I'm watching the Rocky Horror >Picture Show on VH-1, and John Fugelsang (the host of the >Picture Show thing VH-1 does) introduced a scene, describing >Rocky Horror (go watch the movie, he's the love child of Tim >Curry) as something-or-other in GOLD LAME'! This probably has >nothing to do with Purple Toupee, as the movie came out in the >70's and PT is about the 60's, but it's the first time I've ever >heard anyone say "gold lame'" without singing PT. Just thought >I'd share that. ME TOO! Oh my god!! :D I watched about a half hour of it (well, I'm sure I'd like it if I maybe saw the beginning, I dunno..), and was ready to turn it off, but the guy said "gold lame" and I had to watch to see if he had a purple toupee out of curiousity! Looked blond to me though. :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 14:57:13 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: tmbg: tower records ny hello, i live in jersey city and will be going to see tmbg play free at tower records in new york city. i will bringing high quality recording devices and will defenitely get the show on tape, maybe on video, would anyone be interested in trading anything for it? email me at: pholler@jcs1.jcstate.edu thank you for your time. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 14:54:09 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: "screen saver" At 12:51 PM 11/1/96 EST, you wrote: >If anyone gets it, can you tell me how to do it and what it >has in it? thanks much, jan. It's pretty cool. I'm using the 'better' TMBG theme, although I haven't seen the other one, so I can't really say which one is better. You need MS Plus to do install it easily, but it is possible to put everything in manually. I did that, and although it takes a bit of time, it's worth it. TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 15:00:58 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: article i loaned my freind $10 to buy a blazer and she left the store with a free music magazine. i was paging thru it and found a large article on they might be giants and a full page picture taken only for the article. i was wondering if anyone would like me to post the article? the picture is really cool, and on the opposite page there is another pic. but smaller, maybe if i sent it to someone it could be posted on the fan picture page. email: pholler@jcs1.jcstate.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:17:51 +0100 From: DA501280@ntu.ac.uk (RICH MIGHT BE GIANT) Subject: TMBG: Giant Dreams! Am I completely obsessed by THEY? I have had three dreams about the Giants recently, the best of which was when I met them in a pub in London, near the thames. I was sat in the corner of the pub, with a couple of mates having a quite pint, when these two blocks who I didn`t recognise at first started playing some songs on the piano. I then realised that it was the mighty two Johns! I listened to there performance (although I can`t remember which songs they played, obviously!) and when they had finished, I actually went up and had a chat with them. They`re really nice guys, and we got talking about music and stuff, and found that we had alot of bands in common. They said I should go round there flat and check out their record collection, so I did! We were comparing each others records and getting on great - THEN I WOKE UP! I was getting to the point when They were going to invite me to play at one of their shows, and I WOKE UP!!!!! Anyway, it was good whilst it lasted!!!! Rich ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:12:45 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: John, John And Suzanne!!! On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Stoddart wrote: > Does anyone know what the Johns contributed to Suzanne Vegas' album > 'Days Of Open Hand' ??? They were credited on the sleeve for being helpful > or something, my memory doesn't serve me too well but I think that's the > general gist.... Don't know what Flansburgh did....Linnell played accordion on a few songs, I think. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Coffee is a Social Disorder"--John Sidney Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:18:00 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: 13 Wonder, Happy Guy, FAQ, Info, Hern! On Fri, 1 Nov 1996 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Early Years FAQ- There are a few things I wonder abou this. First, how come > "they" don't just combine the FAQs, for a huge, encompassing FAQ? Second, > whenever I get an address for an old FAQ, it never works... Hope this one > does. Yes the address works. (http://execpc.com/~jerk/ey_faq). You have to navigate through Myke's pleas for early TMBG stuff, tho. They aren't combined into one document, because that one document would be too long. I like it the way it is. I maintain the alt.music.tmbg FAQ, and am working on the Mono Puff FAQ. Myke does the EY FAQ, and John Relph does the normal FAQ and discography. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:35:34 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC + OAT On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >i support blue dawg & ruprecht... everyone knows that these 2 tend to > >stir up the place a little bit, but i like to do that too (the great > >buttknob incident for those of you who've been around awhile). > > Hahaha! Buttknobs forever! No way...buttknobs suck. > In sadder news related to this topic, Phil Bickel (Stompboxx) has just left > alt.music.tmbg. In light of my recent goof-up regarding Ruprecht, my recent > conversation with BlueDawg, and the appearance of an incredibly annoying and > pissy person who goes by the handle of "Coiled" on a.m.t, I have decided to > take upon myself the mantle passed down by Phil and Sean. I have learned my > lesson; now is the time to put it to use. :) Well, if you can bring some reason back, I might start posting again. I haven't really left....I'm lurking, and laughing at the insanely stupid ebola-laden feces left by AOL'ers there. > >Walked by my towns least favorite record store today, and was somewhat > >excited to see a Factory Showroom poster in the display window. Also, > >they were selling XTC's oranges and lemons for six bucks. I've only > >heard one XTC song, that Peter Pumpkinhead song or whatever, but I know > >like half this list likes XTC, so any reccomendations as to whether or > >not I should buy it? > > Yes. In fact, every single one of you should buy an XTC CD, right this > moment. (Tell 'em, Sarah. :) The only problem: about half of XTC fans think > it's a major kick-ass album; the other half (including me) don't really care > for it all that much. IMHO, buy that one and "Nonsvch"...both resale for > about $5.99, and if you don't like one, you'll like the other. Promise. :) I bought Skylarking first.....and it's my favorite. I also like Nonsuch, but I think Skylarking is probably one of my all time favorite CD's. No, I won't list them. Last night I listened to a bunch of stuff....XTC: Skylarking, Frank Black: Teenager of the Year, They Might Be Giants: Factory Showroom (I'm becoming addicted to NYC), Spike Jones: Greatest Hits, Various: The Glory of Gershwin. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ From: idiotnot@visi.net Date: 01 Nov 1996 20:51:58 GMT Subject: TMBG: XTC serves TMBG with C & D Whoa, something funny was acutally posted to alt.music.tmbg. --------- Path: news.visi.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!in1.uu.net!newstf01.news.aol.com!newsbf02.news.aol.com!not-for-mail From: mulva@aol.com (Mulva) Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: XTC serves TMBG with C & D Date: 30 Oct 1996 22:39:59 -0500 Organization: America Online, Inc. (1-800-827-6364) Lines: 12 Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com Message-ID: <55972f$qve@newsbf02.news.aol.com> Reply-To: mulva@aol.com (Mulva) NNTP-Posting-Host: newsbf02.mail.aol.com The band known as XTC served the band known as They Might Be Giants with a Cease and Desist order with regard to the song "XTC vs. Adam Ant." According to Nigel Putnell, the lawyer for XTC, "The boys didn't find any humor in it. Everybody knows Adam Ant is a gimmick band. My clients found it insulting to be mentioned in the same song." Ironically, the attorney made no mention of Bow Wow Wow. Rather than fight what They Might Be Giants' lawyer (and former bassist) Tony Maimone refers to as "litigative lunacy" the band has re-recorded the offending lyrics and changed the title of the song to "AKA vs. Adam Ant." "They had considered 'INXS vs. Adam Ant' but I told them I didn't want any more shit." ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 15:24:20 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: adam ant Hey everybody, I am watching vh1 right now, and they are playing an Adam Ant song. Wow, I thought, They Might Be Giants sang a song about Adam Ant!! -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 13:20:09 -0800 From: Chris Ricci Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC + OAT >Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 14:20:11 >To: BlueDawg >From: Chris Ricci >Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC + OAT > > >>> >Walked by my towns least favorite record store today, and was somewhat >>> >excited to see a Factory Showroom poster in the display window. Also, >>> >they were selling XTC's oranges and lemons for six bucks. I've only >>> >heard one XTC song, that Peter Pumpkinhead song or whatever, but I know >>> >like half this list likes XTC, so any reccomendations as to whether or >>> >not I should buy it? >> >>I bought Skylarking first.....and it's my favorite. I also like Nonsuch, >>but I think Skylarking is probably one of my all time favorite CD's. > >Funny that Skylarking was also my first XTC purchase.. Its also my favorite.. I have to say that Oranges and Lemons has two extremely good songs on it (King for a Day and Mayor of Simpleton) the rest are just ok.. Nonesuch is also classic.. much more solid all the way through than Oranges.. > >Anyway Enjoy! > >This quote is so cooel I think I will post it again: > >"You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:35:04 CST Subject: TMBG: OH, Chicago shows. I MIGHT be going to any of the Ohio Shows, or the Chicago. Nothing is set in stone, but It's very possible. If so, is anyone else? We can meet up, throw a party, drink some coffee, eat some turkish delight, discuss the universe and all its dimensions, go see the Giants...you know the deal. I think we should get together. So um, get in touch, whatever. I think it could be a plan. If I DON'T get to go, a night of HELL is going to be in it's place. thanks ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 16:53:22 -0500 (EST) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again > Oh, yeah. I was looking through my 300 unread messages I have piled up > from this list, and Muad.Dib@something.or.another.com asked if anyone > knew the origin of his address. It's from one of the best sci-fi movies > ever, Dune. i'm sorry to have to do this, but since no one has jumped in yet... _Dune_ was a book before it was a movie..i always get touchy on this kind of stuff, sorry, but sometimes i get fed up with the orientation of our society toward visual stuff instead of books...not that i don't like visual stuff (movies!) but the book was so much better than the movie, we can't forget about it... ok, sorry about the lack of TMBG content...umm. i've recently acquired a few things to trade, so if anyone is interested, i can send you my trade list...let me know :) thanks for listening! --fran(sburgh) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 17:03:54 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Just a reminder Utopia Party tomorrow. telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 See ya there at 1700 EST!! -Dawg S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 16:57:36 +0006 Subject: TMBG: My fave XTC stuff Det. Dave here... I gotta agree with you all that XTC is a great band. However, none of you are mentioning their older hits. Making Plans for Nigel General & Major Senses Working Overtime Go out and pick up Waxworks. It's their greatest hits of all their pre-Oranges & Lemons stuff. My faves include Statue of Liberty, At the Hop and This is POP! =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ David Lapides david@stock-spectator.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 17:11:43 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Wingo Whoever asked for the king of Wingo, I've got it. E-mail me and I'll send it to you. cyberguy@netheaven.com Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: tour dates on tmbg.com Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 17:31:31 -0500 (EST) here are the dates. It wasn't easy getting them and it was a pain to add in the clubs, but at least you know the town... Nov 5 Garden City Nov 6 Airwaves, USA Nov 8 New York, NY Nov 14 Moscow, ID Nov 15 Salt Lake City, UT Nov 16 Portland, OR Nov 17 Seattle, WA Nov 20 San Francisco, CA Nov 21 San Luis Obispo, CA Nov 22 Los Angeles, CA Nov 24 San Diego, CA Nov 26 Chicago, IL Nov 27 Kansas City, MO Nov 29 Minneapolis, MN Nov 30 Milwaukee, WI Dec 3 Columbus, OH Dec 4 Cleveland, OH Dec 5 Cincinnati, OH Dec 7 Nashville, TN Dec 8 Atlanta, GA -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 18:14:36 -0500 From: Brian Evans Subject: TMBG: Columbus, OH Show Hey everyone! Is anyone going to the Columbus OH show? Whoever's gonna be there should arrange a special place to meet before the show. Brian ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 18:28:09 EST On Fri, 01 Nov 1996 16:53:22 -0500 (EST) Fransburgh writes: >> Oh, yeah. I was looking through my 300 unread messages I have piled >up >> from this list, and Muad.Dib@something.or.another.com asked if >anyone >> knew the origin of his address. It's from one of the best sci-fi >movies >> ever, Dune. > >i'm sorry to have to do this, but since no one has jumped in yet... >_Dune_ was a book before it was a movie..i always get touchy on this >kind >of stuff, sorry, but sometimes i get fed up with the orientation of >our >society toward visual stuff instead of books...not that i don't like >visual stuff (movies!) but the book was so much better than the movie, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I had a head cold when I wrote that, and I completely forgot about the books. Yes, I know about the books, yes, I've read the whole series twice and done a book report on Frank Herbert (he's the man). Have you seen the other version of the movie (the one that starts out with an animated bit explaining the formation of the Spacing Guild and the Bene Gesserit)? That one's even better. Oh, you want TMBG content? Here: I was sick on Hallowe'en! I was so mad! My friend Molly was a constellation at my school's Drama Club's party and I missed it! I had my evil twin outfit on! I was going to make a button that said "Ask me about my evil twin"! Aargh! fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd "He scares me so, like I scare myself with that book of Nostradamus up upon my shelf..." -TMBG "I might be movin' to Montana soon. Just to raise me up a crop of dental floss." -Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 01:11:19 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Am I ? On Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:22:53 +1000, Jason Harper wrote: >and a little bit of Clannad. In which case, you should really check out Enya, Natacha Atlas, Stina Nordenstam and (perhaps???) Nanci Griffith (if you don't mind a bit of country with your weird) - All are recommended! Joe -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ***** * * Queer sad fucked-up c*nt extrordinaire! (????? Hey - Go figure!) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 01:11:19 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC + OAT On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 23:17:26 -0500 (EST), Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >>I just remembered once hearing a really cool cover of "suicide is >>painless" (the theme from M.A.S.H.) >>And I _think_ the artist that did the cover was XTC > >Somehow I don't see that happening. Anything's possible, though. As well as Joshua, this goes out to the person who wrote the original that Joshua quoted.... I think that the version you've heard was by the Manic Street Preachers (one of the best Welsh bands I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Rating highly along side Flyscreen and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci). Probably one of the best things they did before Richie Edwards very sadly disappeared (which makes me think that he's probably departed this mortal coil) Joe -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ***** * * Queer sad fucked-up c*nt extrordinaire! (????? Hey - Go figure!) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 17:34:37 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Interview with Flans > For those who are interested, there is an excellent interview with John > Flansburgh on > the web. Point your browser to: > > http://www.2launch.com/giants.html Thanks for the address, Matt in Sacramento. It IS a good interview, and it helped me to understand why I don't like XTC Vs. Adam Ant (the only song I can say I dislike on FS). Let's face it, I've never heard anything from XTC or Adam Ant. Hence, there was a joke being told, and I did not get it. Unless I hear XTC or Ant music soon, I guess I will never get it. I have therefore decided to relinquish any opinion on this song, as I can not allow myself to form a true opinion of it for as long as I do not get the joke. That line about space in some Rolling Stone rock history book really capped it! The song is at least much funnier now. --fellow They freak LVJeff ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Dail A song Online Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 20:10:09 -0600 I've never used DAS online, but and wondereing what it is and whats the adress? I have found a whole bunch of down pages and am sick of looking. .sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig "I Teleported Home One Night, With Ron And Sid And Meg, Ron Stole Meggie's Heart Away, And I Got Sidney's Leg" "GO AHEAD, WRECK YOUR LIFE, THAT MIGHT BE GOOD" - They Might Be Giants WYATT GLODELL-------------------------------WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM .sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 21:26:05 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Dail A song Online > I've never used DAS online, but and wondereing what it is and whats >the adress? I have found a whole bunch of down pages and am sick of looking. DAS Online has been down since Bo Orloff's old webpage disappeared. Rumor has it that a new incarnation of the service is due to be inserted at www.tmbg.com in the near future. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 21:20:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Dail A song Online It's down now, but another version is supposed to show up on www.tmbg.com soon, if what I've read on the newsgroup is right... -Adam Tyner, still wondering what the heck Lavisa des LA is... At 08:10 PM 11/1/96 -0600, you wrote: > I've never used DAS online, but and wondereing what it is and whats >the adress? I have found a whole bunch of down pages and am sick of looking. >.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig > > "I Teleported Home One Night, > With Ron And Sid And Meg, > Ron Stole Meggie's Heart Away, > And I Got Sidney's Leg" > > > "GO AHEAD, WRECK YOUR LIFE, THAT MIGHT BE GOOD" - They Might Be Giants > > WYATT GLODELL-------------------------------WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM > >.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 21:31:34 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: TMHFO=32 Footsteps > Okay. Question time. Am I the only one who can't control the urge to break > into "Where's my baby I don't know, 32 footstps counted 'em myself 32 > footsteps.." in the middle of TMHFO??? > ~sarah > http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html > YES! (I mean No, you're not the only one.) I think the melody "...why do you suspiciously change the subject and break my concentration..." is just about exactly the same as that part in 32 Footsteps. 32 Footsteps is a really cool song, BTW. (but then, so's TMHFO.) -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 21:39:37 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Dr. Spock's Hey, maybe I should know this...and I think other people have asked..but, How was Dr. Spock's Backup Band originally released? I know Live in NYC was a bonus for Hello members...but what is the story behind Dr. Spock's. Also, if anybody knows a place that has the CD available, please tell me :) Josh (who feels bad for adding that last sentence...but hey, I want it!) ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: My DAS Recordings From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 23:17:02 EST After spending $2.50 on a telephone pickup mike at Radio Shock and using my Diet Coke/ Friends Promotional Phone Card (tm) for 15 minutes, I now have pristine copies of The King Of Wingo and The Edison Museum. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd post these, but I don't have web space. (Hint Hint) +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 23:17:02 EST Time to clear this up: In a early release of Windows NT, using the Scrolling Marquee screen saver and typing some code (I forget what it is) as the message, it would display names of 'alternative' bands at random. They Might Be Giants was one of those bands. +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:06:30 -0800 (PST) Nicole the Wonder Nerd writes: >Someone posted a message about a Win screen saver a long time ago. >Apparently its gimmick was that it flashed random words on your >screen, in >different typefaces, etc. The poster said that he/she watched the >screen >for a while and saw the four words "they might be giants" pop up. The >poster remarked that the odds against this being a coincidence were >very >high, and so concluded that whoever programmed the screen saver was >giving >an obscure little nod to his/her favorite band. >Maybe this is the screen saver you're thinking of? ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Spin-Online chat and AOL. From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 23:17:02 EST Let me just say this: DO NOT USE AOL!!!! I was on AOL for about a year when some wierd charges started showing up. I called them, but they said, "You must have given out your password. There is no other way for anyone to get it." So then I called the same number and told them I had forgotten my password. They didn't ask for any identification or anything, they just told me my password. My credit card company told me to send a certified letter to America Online to end my account, and in it I included the passwords of about 20 Guides which I had gotten by calling the tech assist line. No wait, that can't be right. The Guides must have given me their passwords. +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! On Fri, 1 Nov 1996 13:52:51 -0500 Brooksie2@aol.com writes: >Just plug in your AOL disk, get your fifty free hours, go to the >Spin-Online >chat, and then come on down to Cowtown, the TMBG folder and chat room >on AOL >to use up the rest of those hours. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 23:44:38 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Giant Dreams! On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, RICH MIGHT BE GIANT wrote: > Am I completely obsessed by THEY? I have had three dreams about the Giants > recently, the best of which was when I met them in a pub in London, near the > No. But I am. I too have had three dreams about Them of late...in the first two, John Linnell wouldn't let me tour with Them because I was too annoying, and in the most recent one, he wouldn't let go of my hand when I shook it...it was creepy. It is interesting what one's subconcious cooks up...I wonder why I thought JL wouldn't like me (because I was annoying, too...I wonder where I got that? :) ) and then he liked me...it mostly reflected my changing opinion of _him_. Of course, after I lost the band and found them playing in a laundramat, that was another story all together... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 23:40:52 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: My DAS Recordings At 11:17 PM 11/1/96 EST, you wrote: >I'd post these, but I don't have web space. (Hint Hint) Hint taken. :> How large are the files? I might be able to post them on my space... -Adam Tyner ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 23:46:40 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC serves TMBG with C & D On 1 Nov 1996 idiotnot@visi.net wrote: > *snipped newsserver to list stuff* > The band known as XTC served the band known as They Might Be Giants with a > Cease and Desist order with regard to the song "XTC vs. Adam Ant." > According to Nigel Putnell, the lawyer for XTC, "The boys didn't find any > humor in it. Everybody knows Adam Ant is a gimmick band. My clients found > it insulting to be mentioned in the same song." Ironically, the attorney > made no mention of Bow Wow Wow. > > Rather than fight what They Might Be Giants' lawyer (and former bassist) > Tony Maimone refers to as "litigative lunacy" the band has re-recorded the > offending lyrics and changed the title of the song to "AKA vs. Adam Ant." > "They had considered 'INXS vs. Adam Ant' but I told them I didn't want any > more shit." > Is this true? This is amazing. Did They really change the title of the song to AKA v. Adam Ant? That is hysterical! And re-recorded it, too. Are you sure? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "I am not your broom, I am not your broom! No, John, I will not clean for you, for I am smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu not your broom!"- They Might Be Giants **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Suzanne Vega Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 23:51:24 -0500 (EST) Well, methinks the Johns didn't have a whole lot to do with Days of Open Hand by Suzanne Vega. It does say in the beginning: Special Thanks to: Flansburgh and Linnell for being so helpful In the first song, Tired of Sleeping it credits John Linnell for playing accordian. And in the end it says John Linnell appears courtesy of Elektra Entertainment. This CD came out in 1990 or so says the copyright. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-300 ******************************