Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-302 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 302 Monday, 4 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: John Henry Double CD, Info Club Merchandise, and My Wingo and Maine wavs. TMBG: Rythm Section Want Ad TMBG: Roseland Time Non-TMBG: Hello everyone TMBG: Re: RSWA TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-301 TMBG: Polk vote results Re: TMBG: If you're _really_ anxious to get on SPINonline chat TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-301 TMBG: An after dinner mint with Mr. Flippy TMBG: Yippee Skippee TMBG: bass lines TMBG: cleveland show TMBG: Good .wav sources? TMBG: Cleveland show TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-301 TMBG: Re: article TMBG: Re: shirts, xtc, kith, hootie Re: TMBG: Rythm Section Want Ad Re: TMBG: bass lines Re: TMBG: aol.. Re: TMBG: aol.. and more Re: TMBG: bass lines TMBG: Yup. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 07:39:25 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: John Henry Double CD, Info Club Merchandise, and My Wingo and Maine wavs. Hello everyone, I've posted these questiond before, but no one replyed. Anyway, what's this I hear about a 2-CD version of John Henry? What does it have on it? Where can I get it? Also, how long does it take for Info Club merchandise to get to me? I sent out my order on Monday, that means it should be in my possession on (fill in date here). By the way, how is everyone liking those Wingo and Maine wavs? For those of you who don't have the URL to get them, here it is: http://www.netheaven.com/~cyberguy/index.html Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 11:57:27 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Rythm Section Want Ad Pardon my ignorance, but what lp/ep/whatever is this song found on and does anyone have it in .wav form? I'd be interested in hearing it... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 13:07:45 -0500 (EST) From: Lambrakos Subject: TMBG: Roseland Time I got my tickets for the show on Nov. 8th and I was wondering if anyone knew what time the doors open. Just trying to cut down on my long distance bill. Thanks for any help in advance. Let me know if your going and perhaps we can meet up! Five days and counting.... Will. ------------------------------ Date: 3 Nov 1996 18:26:03 -0000 From: "Phil Bickel" Subject: Non-TMBG: Hello everyone Wow, I join up only to see my name in a message on Halloween (Hi JHB). Pretty cool to havea lead in like that. "Will anyone know me? Hey..that's my name!" :) Many of you know me either from Utopia Parkway or a.m.tmbg or wherever (I think I just magically met a few of you randomly in nature once :)). Anyways, I'm Phil. I'm usually biased severely toward John Linnell. I know entirely too much about TMBG. I'm told I'm pretentious, but up until last week I haddn't sent a flame in over a year. I have lots of tapes. I love them to death. :) Other than that, I just wanted to warn everyone that I usually have an opinion on everything :) Oh, and I'm making a TMBG: Elektra Years FAQ (in the vein of Myke's Early Years FAQ) so if you have semi-important or curiosity questions you'd like to ask for inclusion, fire them off to me. Otherwise, Hi, I'm glad to be here...and I hope there's no one named Coiled on the list:) peace be Phil *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 11:00:42 -0800 From: Chris Ricci Subject: TMBG: Re: RSWA At 02:08 AM 11/3/96 CST, you wrote: >Chris, you are not alone. Rhythm Section Want Ad is one my most >favorite songs IN THE WORLD. It just KICKS ASS plain and simple. >But I can't pick a fav. Giants. It's just too hard. I think RSWA >gets kind of overlooked, no? Maybe we should take it upon ourselves >to give it the credit it deserves...I wouldn't be bothering you with >this if it weren't for it being such a rarity these days of things to >talk about. DIg iT. > Hanna - I have to agree, why is Rythum Section Want Ad looked over? I mean what else is there in life besides "do (no) you (no) scream (no) like (no)Olive (no) Oil (no) on (no) purpose? (no)" and "You guys must be into the Eurithmics" which of course I can't spell..No one hesitates to talk about Istanbul or Particle Man (which no one questions are also amazing..)If anyone has not purchased their self-titled debut, do it.. no hesitation.. "Do you guys really need to slam dance? We really aren't about that." - TMBG live in Concert San Francisco 1990.. Chris ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 15:05:25 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-301 Chris Ricci on subject aol.. >THEN START CHARGING YOU, but it is totally overpriced. My server for $22 a >month I get 300 hours + a personal web page.. I believe AOL is lowering price starting soon, and changing to unlimited access. Don't know about web page though... I am also not exactly sure, since I am not an AOL'er. I did hear it from a fairly reliable Computer Freak who IS an AOL'er (he was sort of bragging about it). SJL ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 15:36:11 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Polk vote results I was a little disappointed with the turnout I got (20 votes), but I did get some good responses. The final results: 17 votes (85%) The Instanbul version 3 votes (15%) The Factory Showroom version So tommorrow its the Istanbul version of James K. Polk and Nixon's the One (to give the parties equal time). Craig ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: If you're _really_ anxious to get on SPINonline chat From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 15:44:24 EST Sorry, but about three months ago AOL started doing credit checks BEFORE starting your account. However, you can get a password to an existing account (see my previous post) and use a 'free time' util such as AOHell so that the account's owner doesn't notice if you're despirate. Normally, I would find it odd if someone was despirate to get onto America Online. +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! On Sat, 2 Nov 1996 13:24:47 -0600 wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) writes: > I dont do this, but i know it works if your really anxious and >will >do something illeagal (that thousands of people do) to get to the >SPINonline >chat: > > Search for aol hacks > You can find a fake account generator and a fake >credit card >maker > You make a fake account on a fake credit card and go >on > As far as i know they can only kill your account, and >cant >do anthing else. > > > > Well, bye. >.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig > > "I Teleported Home One Night, > With Ron And Sid And Meg, > Ron Stole Meggie's Heart Away, > And I Got Sidney's Leg" > > > "GO AHEAD, WRECK YOUR LIFE, THAT MIGHT BE GOOD" - They Might Be >Giants > > WYATT GLODELL-------------------------------WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM > >.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig > > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-301 From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 17:22:11 EST On Sun, 3 Nov 1996 15:05:25 -0500 (EST) CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU writes: >Chris Ricci on subject aol.. >>THEN START CHARGING YOU, but it is totally overpriced. My server for $22 a >>month I get 300 hours + a personal web page.. > >I believe AOL is lowering price starting soon, and changing to unlimited >access. Don't know about web page though... I am also not exactly sure, >since I am not an AOL'er. I did hear it from a fairly reliable Computer >Freak who IS an AOL'er (he was sort of bragging about it). > SJL In December of 1996, AOL will begin it's new pricing plan in which one pays 19.95 per month for unlimited access, 16.95 per month when payed 1 year in advance, 14.95 per month when paying 2 years in advance, 9.95 per month when accessing AOL through an alternate internet provider such as a college or ISP, 4.95 per month for 3 free hours and 2.50 for each additional. AOL will also offer to the old plan, 9.95/5/2.50 (9.95 for 5 hours, 2.50 each additional) to members who ask. For the convenience of members, AOL will switch everyone who does not say otherwise to the 19.95 plan. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 18:30:08 -0500 (EST) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG: An after dinner mint with Mr. Flippy Me: Mmmmm. I like candy. Mr. Flippy: Shut your pie hole. Me: Pie? Where? Did someone say pie? Mr. Flippy: No. Me: Oh. Well let's just talk about the new stuff on your web page then. Mr. Flippy: I've been waiting all night for that, you sniveling sycophant. Me: I think you have me confused with a sniveling sycophant. Mr. Flippy: In any case, there isn't really anything new on my page besides the amazing Ruprecht's Evil Poetry Club, which can be found behind the thoughts and ideas link. There's also an updated boot list. Also check out the stories if you haven't. John S. Hall's girlfriend did and liked them! Me: Really? Mr. Flippy: Well, she only read one, but she loved it. Me: That's so cool. John S. Hall's girlfriend is way cool. Mr Flippy: Will you _please_ shut the fuck up? Me: Excuse me? Mr. Flippy: Nothing. Anyway I think Ruprecht's Evil Poetry Club is well worth checking out and I hope people do. There's no one on Earth like our friend Ruprecht. Me: Where's our waiter? I wanna get more wine. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: 3 Nov 1996 23:37:44 -0000 From: "John Henry" Subject: TMBG: Yippee Skippee Hey there you guys.....................I just got back from buying tickets to the Cleveland show and I'm all woo-hoo and stuff, I can't wait to see them again........and I just wanted to know if anyone else is going to that show and if we're gonna do anything or what not, I'm bringing tons-o-people so it should be very cool............. -------------------------DaN----------- "Marge we had a deal, I stop eating your lipstick and your sisters don't come over after six" *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 18:05:38 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: bass lines I'm just wondering. I play bass, and I always have a heck of a time trying to figure out bass lines from recordings. As such, does anyone have bass lines for some TMBG stuff written out that I could get? Or at least point me in the direction of a place to get them? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I suppose that's it. I envy all those folks who get to see Them right now (even those people buying tickets for the Cincinnati and Columbus shows--I live in Dayton, but I am stuck in school here in St. Louis). Just appreciate the shows, folks.... Oh, and BTW...when They mention Xenia on John Henry, where exactly is that? There's a Xenia, Ohio, near my hometown, but I really doubt that's what They're talking about... Still mourning the lack of "They Got Lost" on FS-- Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I met this girl, she looked like Axl Rose...." --Ben Folds Five, "Julianne" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 19:53:28 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: TMBG: cleveland show well i have every intention of going to the cleveland show. i just need some info. if some kind soul could find it in their hearts to help me out i would forever be in their debt. first off is there a phone number where i could charge tickets. if so what is it? second what time does it start? well that's pretty much all i need to know. thanks. !?!@#$@#%%#$$^%@@^%$%^^^^$%&&&^%@@%$@#$%%@#$^^%$$$^^^^^$@$^#%&^%&@@$%^@%&$%&& Life is like a roller coaster. It has it's ups and downs, it's curves and it's loops. But every time you come up to the gate, it goes right through. It may slow down, but it never lets you get off. mci@tmbg.org a mind is a terrible thing. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 17:14:29 -0800 From: Eric Hanson Subject: TMBG: Good .wav sources? I just got my ticket for the Portland show on the 16th, and am entirely too excited. Anybody know a good online site where I can get recordings in .wav or other sound formats? I wish more people would put their boots online. Legal Schmegal! Eric ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:09:36 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Cleveland show People have been wanting the info on the Cleveland show...here it is... Agora Ballroom (where they played about 1 year ago) ... Show starts at 8:00pm ... Call (216)241-4900 or charge by phone (216)241-5555 Tickets are $16 ... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:18:54 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-301 > I dont do this, but i know it works if your really anxious and >will do something illeagal (that thousands of people do) to >get to the SPINonline chat: *snip* Uh, or you could sign up for 50 free hours (back when I joined--it was *10!*) and cancel your account after those hours? ~sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 07:34:49 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: article PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu wrote: > > i loaned my freind $10 to buy a blazer and she left the store with a free > music magazine. i was paging thru it and found a large article on they > might be giants and a full page picture taken only for the article. i was > wondering if anyone would like me to post the article? > the picture is really cool, and on the opposite page there is another pic. > but smaller, maybe if i sent it to someone it could be posted on the > fan picture page. > email: pholler@jcs1.jcstate.eduWhat music store had the magazine??? Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 07:32:23 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: shirts, xtc, kith, hootie KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >also since i wear TMBG sshirts so much many people like to > >get sarcastic and say " you like that band dont you? " > Yeah, I have 4 so far (plan to get more for christmas!), and people say stuff > like "you wear that shirt all the time.." ::sigh:: > I guess they just remember the name...I've got 8 and have the same problem > >Just wondering... is there a Hootie mailing list (there is a > >newsgroup) and if so, what are THEY saying about They Might > >Be Giants?!?!?!? > Yah! Let's go do some lurking!!! :DI did a usenet search, for results, go to http://altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&what=news&fmt=.&q=%22hootie+and+the+blowfish%22+hootie > Okay. Question time. Am I the only one who can't control the urge to break > into "Where's my baby I don't know, 32 footstps counted 'em myself 32 > footsteps.." in the middle of TMHFO???No, but the first few times I heard Pet Name, I was expecting SM's vocals from her cover of Dear God on the XTC tribute cd. Jeremy J. Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:00:17 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rythm Section Want Ad On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, StatuE (Wayde) wrote: > Pardon my ignorance, but what lp/ep/whatever is this song found on and does > anyone have it in .wav form? I'd be interested in hearing it... > RSWA appears on They's first album, "They Might Be Giants." It is often called "The Pink Album" or "The Big Blue Dog" album, because the cover sports a drwan version of J&J riding a big blue dog through a town with a very pink background. No .wavs here, but it'll be worth the $ to get yourself the album. James @ MU ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 22:07:30 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: bass lines At 18:05 11/3/96, William Tatalovich wrote: >Oh, and BTW...when They mention Xenia on John Henry, where exactly is >that? There's a Xenia, Ohio, near my hometown, but I really doubt that's >what They're talking about... I'm not sure which town Flans was mentioning, but I do have a related comment. When my Great Books prof was lecturing on some Greek, I came up the connection with the origin of the name "Xenia". It means "alien" or "stranger," as in "xenophobe," the fear of stragers. Relevance? The next line, "stranger could have loved that town..." Pretty neat, huh? I love Their fits of lyrical genius. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:18:43 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: aol.. > My favortie TMBG song: > > Rythum Section Want Ad: > > Hats off to a new age hair style made of bone, hats off to the use of hats > as megaphone, walk softly drive a sherman tank, laugh hard its a long way to > the bank... > > Anyone else dig that?? That's my favorite part of the song! That and the little accordian solo that follows it.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 23:38:29 -0500 (EST) From: John Murray Subject: Re: TMBG: aol.. and more David Simpson writes: > > My favortie TMBG song: > > > > Rythum Section Want Ad: > > > > Hats off to a new age hair style made of bone, hats off to the use of hats > > as megaphone, walk softly drive a sherman tank, laugh hard its a long way to > > the bank... > > > > Anyone else dig that?? > > That's my favorite part of the song! That and the little accordian solo > that follows it.. I'd just like to say: Me Too, this ranks as one of the best songs on this lp, but then again most of them are great any way. Has any one out there actually made the Factory Showroom sing-a-log box from the info club news letter, you know the lyric sheet thing. I had a color copy made of it (about $2 at my local kinkos) and cut it out and assembled it. It looks pretty cool. To those of you without the latest infoclub newsletter, the lyrics from Factory Showroom are printed in a form that can be cut out and assembled and looks like the boxes back of the FS CD case. ------------------------------ Date: 4 Nov 1996 04:49:59 -0000 From: "Phil Bickel" Subject: Re: TMBG: bass lines >From owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Sun Nov 3 19:51:08 1996 >Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id WAA22738 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 3 Nov 1996 22:06:08 -0500 >X-Sender: jchaffer@141.211.83.25 >Message-Id: >Mime-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" >Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 22:07:30 -0500 >To: William Tatalovich >From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) >Subject: Re: TMBG: bass lines >Cc: Lactose Intolerance Anonymous >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Precedence: bulk >Reply-To: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) >At 18:05 11/3/96, William Tatalovich wrote: >>Oh, and BTW...when They mention Xenia on John Henry, where exactly is >>that? There's a Xenia, Ohio, near my hometown, but I really doubt that's >>what They're talking about...It is indeed referring ot Xenia, OH...home of Antioch College (or at least where Mr. Flans lived while attending Antioch...). just a random fact :) Phil who was also duly impressed wit hJonathan's discovery. *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 23:58:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Yup. In a message dated 96-11-03 02:41:02 EST, you write: > Hats off to a new age hair style made of bone ... > > Anyone else dig that?? Of course. I'd expect that on this list you'd find one or two rhythem section want-ad fans. Just another meaningless observation. Off to do college essays! Mark ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-302 ******************************