Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-303 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 303 Tuesday, 5 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: AOL, Letterbox, Polk vs. Nixon, Rhythm TMBG: RE:CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT HERE!!!!` Re: TMBG: RE:CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT HERE!!!!` tmbg-list Digest #2-286 TMBG: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: bass lines Re: TMBG: Cleveland show TMBG: -No Subject- TMBG: re: aol TMBG: Narf! Re: TMBG: RE:CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT HERE!!!!` tmbg-list Digest #2-286 TMBG: South Florida Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Stuff TMBG: My second to last post... Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans Re: TMBG: Freaks & Sadness Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans TMBG: TMBG 1988 press release TMBG: Cleveland show...more info TMBG: I heard Flans on the radio! Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-302 TMBG: re: RSWA Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Where the hell is everyone? Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-302 Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Sarah Newhouse? Are you there. TMBG: Fun, and Stuff to think about TMBG: FREAKS R US Re: TMBG: Stuff Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders TMBG: CDs TMBG: The Portland Show TMBG: J.Otto.. TMBG content! I promise! TMBG: RE:Rhythm Section Want Ad TMBG: Xenia clearup and RSWA Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 04:26:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: AOL, Letterbox, Polk vs. Nixon, Rhythm Hello 41- With AOL, I will defend it, like I like to... You can get an AOL homepage, and it's 10 Megs big (2 meg/screename) and I got that going for me... which is nice. As mentioned, it is also $19.95/month now for unlimited access. That's neat too. They are also good with helping people, no matter how dumb they are! TMBG content- Letterbox is moving up among my fave TMBG songs... It's the only one, I think, I can't sing without thinking about it... Polk vs. Nixon- If you want equal time, you better play Nixon a few times... Rhythm Section Want Ad Fave Part- The part I really like is that the reason why they don't need a rhythm section is because they programed their drum machine to do *really* easy stuff. Heh heh heh. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 08:53:56 UT From: "Spencer Hale" Subject: TMBG: RE:CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT HERE!!!!` THE INTERESTED PARTIE HAS MOVED AND THERE ARE NONE HERE AT ALL INTERESTED IN THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. PLEASE CANCEL. NOW. IT ONLY GETS DELETED. THANKS. - --------- Sent: mon. nov. 3, 1:48 pm. To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: cancel all further tmbg-list Digest PLEASE. cc: Spencer McFlie ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: RE:CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT HERE!!!!` tmbg-list Digest #2-286 Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 05:39:26 -0600 >THE INTERESTED PARTIE HAS MOVED AND THERE ARE NONE HERE AT ALL INTERESTED IN >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. PLEASE CANCEL. NOW. >IT ONLY GETS DELETED. > >THANKS. > >- --------- >Sent: mon. nov. 3, 1:48 pm. >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: cancel all further tmbg-list Digest PLEASE. >cc: Spencer McFlie > If he would of looked at the begging of one, he could see how. Lets let him suffer :) Feeling very evil (and hgaving now only a 5 line sig): .sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig "I Teleported Home One Night, With Ron And Sid And Meg, Ron Stole Meggie's Heart Away, And I Got Sidney's Leg" Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 12:19:32 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders Say, has the new season of Larry Sanders started yet? Does anyone know when They'll be on? Anyone in Canada: Do we get that show here (on regular cable)? What channel does it come on? (and when) I sure am looking forward to Conan on Wed night, since there's no concerts near Toronto anytime soon, and since I haven't seen them on TV since a MuchMusic spotlight in like 1990 or 1991, when I didn't really know who they were. (that was my first exposure to them) -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 12:41:47 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders > Say, has the new season of Larry Sanders started yet? Does anyone know > when They'll be on? The new season of Larry Sanders starts November 13 which, if I'm not mistaken, is next Wednesday. I have only ever seen the show on HBO, and I can't remember what time it airs because I ignore the commercials. They are extremely annoying :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Everything can be filed under miscellaneous ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 10:18:25 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: TMBG: bass lines > Oh, and BTW...when They mention Xenia on John Henry, where exactly is > that? There's a Xenia, Ohio, near my hometown, but I really doubt that's > what They're talking about... Or they could be talking about Xena, warrior princess. She royally rocks. Liam "oh tiddledeede. That will require a tetanus shot" - Homer (the simpson, not the Greek) ------------------------------ From: tom@Mail.Coast.NET (Thomas Earl!) Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:33:42 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Cleveland show Cool!!! When do tickets go on sale and is this a club or a theater? Thanks, Tom StatuE wrote: > > People have been wanting the info on the Cleveland show...here it is... > > Agora Ballroom (where they played about 1 year ago) ... > Show starts at 8:00pm ... > Call (216)241-4900 > or charge by phone > (216)241-5555 > Tickets are $16 ... > > > "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" > A little They can do soooo much!!! > 8^) -Statue et al > > > -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Earl "Reality is a cop-out for people who Network Engineer can't handle drugs" Coast to Coast Telecommuncations Clarkson, Michigan +1.800.900.9960 http://www.coast.net Tom@coast.net http://www.games.coast.net *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:50:23 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: -No Subject- >From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu >Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 15:00:58 -0500 (EST) >Subject: TMBG: article >i loaned my freind $10 to buy a blazer and she left the store with a free >music magazine. i was paging thru it and found a large article on they >might be giants and a full page picture taken only for the article. i was >wondering if anyone would like me to post the article? Are you talking about SMUG music magazine. If you are it is one of the best TMBG reviews I have ever read. I found it at Sam Ash music store. It is distributed free around the NYC area at various music/record shops and concert halls. I would post it but I haven't got the time. Maybe, I could do it later this week. Erik "Why do you suspiciously change the subject and break my concentration..." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 15:09:30 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: re: aol >Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 21:20:48 -0800 >From: Chris Ricci >Subject: TMBG: aol.. > >Ok.. here is some quality TMBG content: >My favortie TMBG song: >Rythum Section Want Ad: >Hats off to a new age hair style made of bone, hats off to the use of hats >as megaphone, walk softly drive a sherman tank, laugh hard its a long way to >the bank... > >Anyone else dig that?? >Chris Funny, this was the last song I heard as I got out of the car this morning and I can't get it out of my head, paticularly the line you just posted. "Oh, yes I can dig it!" . I am going thru each album oldest to newest this week in order to get primed for the Roseland concert on Friday. BTW, does anyone know if the Roseland has a 21 & over section (i.e. bar)? TIA. Erik "For everyone with dollar signs in their eyes....." ------------------------------ Date: 04 Nov 96 15:19:26 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Narf! Hey it's been a month since I've graced this list with my presence. I'm still puzzled by the TMBG: heading on everything. Is that automatic? Well, if not you may kill me. I still haven't been making regular visits because my comp is down and out and I can only check me mail from school. If you are currently desperatley checking for someone on, e-mail me back. It's 3:20 and I'll be here for half an hour. Now for something completely different. Could Russ Josephson and Larry Santiago please e-mail me with their mailing addresses? I'm really sorry to both of you for the absense of the tapes. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 15:48:20 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: RE:CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT HERE!!!!` tmbg-list Digest #2-286 On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Wyatt Glodell wrote: > If he would of looked at the begging of one, he could see how. Lets let him > suffer :) It's an autoreply....he can't. > Feeling very evil (and hgaving now only a 5 line sig): I count six. > .sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig.sig > "I Teleported Home One Night, > With Ron And Sid And Meg, > Ron Stole Meggie's Heart Away, > And I Got Sidney's Leg" > Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 16:36:45 -0500 From: Kosta Subject: TMBG: South Florida have They ever come down to south florida? There are hoards of They fans itching to see them in concert down here. oh well, they do stop by n.florida(4 hours away)... i guess i can't ask for too much. :( kosta ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 16:44 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > >Well, whoever it was posted that "You'll Miss Me" is one of the saddest >TMBG songs there is. I just have to say that "Ana Ng" is probably (in my >mind) the saddest, or at least one of the more contemplative, songs that >They play. Of course, there's always "The End of the Tour" as well... True. When I was going through a rather depressing relationship-related thingy last year, there was a line in "Puppet Head" that seemed to sum up everything I was feeling: "If the puppet head was only busted in, it'd be a better thing for everyone involved and we wouldn't have to cry." Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:54:56 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: TMBG: Stuff Here are my thoughts for the day. Firstly I have decided that the line 'Piece of dirt, that is all I'm standing on today' is about a freckle I have on the bottom of my foot. I don't know how it got there because I thought that you only get freckles from SUNSHINE which the soles of my feet don't see much of as they always have the rest of me on top. So maybe it's not a freckle but a piece of dirt in which case I'm sure it would be all I'm standing on. The other wildly exciting thing I had to say was that the first 2 TMBG songs I heard were The Famous Polka and Kiss me, Son of God. This has suddenly stricken me as an odd, odd thing......being British it's supposed to be birdhouse..... BTW does any one else find the wizard of oz a disturbing film?????? That's it. Hope I have cheered someone on their merry way............ Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:06:32 -0600 (CST) From: harris james andrew Subject: TMBG: My second to last post... I haven't been here very long, but I'm already leaving. That's right, after I post the long promised TMBG 1988 press release, I'm unsubscribing. Why? The newsgroup isn't as useful to me as I thought it would be. I'm not going to start hating TMBG or anything, on the contrary, they're my favorite band, but I could go elsewhere for useful TMBG info and not clog my screen or hard drive (flame me all you want in the newsgroup...I won't be there anymore! HA!) Anyway, if you wanted a photocopy of the release (next post) E-Mail me. If you wanted to E-Mail and speak of the Giants or whatever else, do that too. (If there's any Frank Zappa fans, I'd particularly like to talk to you...I'm a new initiate into Zappa's world). Anyway, goodbye, all. Enjoy the press release, which I'm sending directly. Jim Harris ex-member of tmbg-list ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 17:11 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans >Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary has many different definitions >of "freak." >Some of my favorites include, > 1: a sudden and odd seemingly pointless idea or turn of the mind > 2: a whimsical quality or disposition > 3: one that is markedly unusual or abnormal > 4: AN ARDENT ENTHUSIAST > 5: a withdrawl from reality I rather like being considered "markedly unusual." Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Freaks & Sadness Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 17:21:11 18000 > > >Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary has many different definitions > >of "freak." > >Some of my favorites include, > > 1: a sudden and odd seemingly pointless idea or turn of the mind > > 2: a whimsical quality or disposition > > 3: one that is markedly unusual or abnormal > > 4: AN ARDENT ENTHUSIAST > > 5: a withdrawl from reality > > I rather like being considered "markedly unusual." > > Kirsten > > -- > ______________________________________________________________________________ > "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu I rather like being considered a sudden and odd seemingly pointless idea. :) And on the subject of Sad Songs, they say so much. :) Sorry... I always thought Road Movie to Berlin was pretty sad. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 16:56 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans > >> >> Best Flans quote from the interview (referring to Their fans): >> >> "Oh, we're a freak magnet!" >> >> Yay us! Let's wave those freak flags higher and higher... > Hmm, I don'tknow about anyone else, but I dislike being called >a freak, especially with its new denomination or sect it describes. >Everyone claims to be a freak. I dunno. I kinda enjoy it. Although my friends and I have always called each other "phreaks." If you're a phreak, you're freaky in a good way. If you're a "freak" then you're just, um, a freak. But that's just our personaal terminology. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:21:34 -0600 (CST) From: harris james andrew Subject: TMBG: TMBG 1988 press release THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS---LINCOLN After a runaway best-selling debut album, successful U.S. and European tours, and an extended run on MTV, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS are happy to announce the release of their new album LINCOLN on Bar/None (distributed through Restless/Enigma). Outstanding tracks on the eighteen song album include "Ana Ng," "They'll Need a Crane," and "Purple Toupee." 1988 has been an amazing year for THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. After an overwhelming public response to their video "Don't Lets Start" on MTV the band broke out on commercial and college radio charts. Fueled by constant touring including a sold-out tour of the west coast THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS' self-titled debut album sold over 100,000 copies. After their tour the band returned to New York to receive the Best Band-Independent Label Award at the New York Music Awards, there the duo shared a bill with the likes of Suzanne Vega and LL Cool J. For THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS life has been a series of fortuitous events. Though based out of Brooklyn, New York, the duo of guitarist John Flansburgh and accordionist/saxman John Linnell actually met in grammar school in the suburbs outside Boston. After years apart in other bands and world tours of institutions of higher learning, the pair found themselves reunited in a railroad apartment building in Brooklyn, coincidentally moving in on the same day. It wasn't long until the two Johns joined musical forces and formed THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. Determined not to have their audience limited to downtown Manhattan clubgoers, the band started their own DIAL-A-SONG service which recently celebrated its third anniversary. Featuring a new song everyday from the groups giant library of songs, DIAL-A-SONG awaits your call at 718-387-6962 AND IT'S FREE WHEN YOU CALL FROM WORK! Flansburgh and Linnell share songwriting duties and together they have written over three hundred songs. They agree that the basic idea behind TMBG is speaking with one voice. "The foundation of the whole thing is that we are entertaining people," Linnell says. "Basically, we allow the audience to get what they want out of it." Flansburgh adds, "It amazes me that we can go anywhere and play for any kind of crowd and people relate to it in a very personal way...The big difference with LINCOLN is that we've done hundreds of shows since that first record, so as instrumentalists and vocal performers and songwriters we're just that much more developed. I think we've also learned that our arrangements might actually be less fussy than they used to be. We tend to leave the kitchen sink in the kitchen now." Be sure to catch THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS when they come to your town! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:28:33 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Cleveland show...more info Tom Wrote: Cool!!! When do tickets go on sale and is this a club or a theater? Tickets went on sale last saturday and the agora ballroom is kinda both... It's got a floor in the middle (where most people stand) and some seats all around on a slightly higher level... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:59:18 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: TMBG: I heard Flans on the radio! On friday I was driving in my car listening to the radio for a change instead of a tape. Then something came on which was called 'the X music news for Friday Nov. 1st.' (the X is a pittsburgh radio station) Some guy starts talking about some stupid band and I wasn't really paying attention, but then, all of a sudden Ana Ng starts playing in the background and the guy says "John Flansburgh of the group They Might Be Giants has this to say about the band's new album" Then Flans starts talking! He said something very close to this (but it's not necessarily an excat quote): 'This album is different than the last one in that it has more of a range of the kind of stuff that alot of people got to know us by.' It was somethin very close to that. Sorry if someone already posted about this, I haven't read my mail for a few days which is really uncommon! Take it easy everybody, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:56:17 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > True. When I was going through a rather depressing > relationship-related thingy last year, there was a line in "Puppet Head" > that seemed to sum up everything I was feeling: "If the puppet head was > only busted in, it'd be a better thing for everyone involved and we > wouldn't have to cry." I was going through something similar a little while ago. Okay, mabye it was completely different but it was depressing and relationship related, so.. Anyway, one day I came home and ws just really upset. I started writing poetry about it and spent about an hour listening to "I've got a match" off of Lincoln. It really helped. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:32:20 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-302 >>Has any one out there actually made the Factory Showroom sing-a-log box from the info club news letter, you know the lyric sheet thing. I had a color copy made of it << Darn. I shoulda thought of that. Mine was on my dresser, until I took it apart to make my chrismas list (why did they have to put it opposite the catologue items????). Hey, is the list so small because of the lack of Ruprecht and Blue Dawg? And where'd Matt James run off to?? :0 ~sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:05:40 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: re: RSWA Okay, I've let this go long enough. Whoever was the first one to write the lyrics down to Rhythm Section Want-Ad messed them up. It's not "walk softly, drive a sherman tank", it's "speak softly, drive a sherman tank". At least all of my listening experiences with RSWA make me think that... Also, thanks to everyone for the insights into Xenia from John Henry. Someone (I forget who, sorry) convinced me that it is indeed Xenia, Ohio, that they're talking about, because Flans (I think) went to college there. Wow....cool people really do go to Ohio.... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu P.S. I do love RSWA--great song. It's no "She's an Angel", but it's great... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 17:29:29 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Hey all, I allways found the song "They'll Need A Crane" to be the most depressing of all. Just think about it, two people that thought they were totally perfect for each other only to have all this stuff go wrong. The chick becomes a heavy drinker... (I don't have the lyrics in front so don't nit pick) "Jim Beam is Handsomer than he." I allways got really sad listening to that song. Self Called Nowhere was kind of a lonely song. I allways kind of thought it was about a guy who had nothing left but this surreal fantasy world in which he existed, and a couple of fond memories about this electric organ. -- "I'm sitting on the curb, of the empty parking lot, of the store where they let me play the organ," -They Might Be Giants, Self Called Nowhere Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:46:26 -0500 (EST) From: Stephen M Helmick Subject: TMBG: Where the hell is everyone? Hi, guys. I've just been really concerned with the drop in messages to the list as of late. Can anyone explain it to me? I really hope it's not a sudden drop in fans or something serious like that. I'm so used to coming in eacg night and finding thirty to fifty messages that when I didn't check my mail for the whole weekend and came back to find only 24 messages that I almost had a heart attack. Well, I hope some of you start posting more...even pointless stuff like, "why does one John have longer teeth than the other?" *hehe*I'm outie kids...keep that tmbg spirit running on high.... The evidently translucent KOBRA. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:50:45 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-302 On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > Hey, is the list so small because of the lack of Ruprecht and Blue Dawg? And > where'd Matt James run off to?? :0 Ruprecht is here, but silent. I'm here, y'all wouldn't get so lucky to see me leave. :) Dunno where Matt is......maybe he got eaten by the Beltway. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:01:33 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs In a message dated 96-11-04 19:54:47 EST, you write: << > True. When I was going through a rather depressing > relationship-related thingy last year, there was a line in "Puppet Head" > that seemed to sum up everything I was feeling: "If the puppet head was > only busted in, it'd be a better thing for everyone involved and we > wouldn't have to cry." I was going through something similar a little while ago. Okay, mabye it was completely different but it was depressing and relationship related, so.. Anyway, one day I came home and ws just really upset. I started writing poetry about it and spent about an hour listening to "I've got a match" off of Lincoln. It really helped. >> i hear ya. the same thing (kind of)happened with SHES AN ANGEL, and even THE FAMOUS POLKA. sigh. but if i have to think of a really sad song,it would have to be End of the tour, the day (i dont really understand the lryics,but the tone or something,just sad),theyll need a crane (one of my favs,its sung so...happy. it is actually a little funny,in a doomed marriage way) COWTOWN, i know it has to be about suicide, ahh, i dont feel like writing anymore sad/funny songs ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:04:14 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Sarah Newhouse? Are you there. Unless you are Sarah Newhouse, I haven't gotten your mail. Please Respond to my mail! Thank you. If you should send a message before you read this, I take this back. Sorry for any inconvenience. Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:11:03 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Fun, and Stuff to think about On the Xenia thing, someone mentioned that it is greek for "stranger" or whatever...but really, it meant "hospitality." Zues was the god of Xenia...which is why, IMHO, that line is so brilliant, "Stranger could have loved that town, but she had to leave..." She, as a stranger, could have loved that town to stay in, but she had to leave...wow. I have finally learned the Ana Ng dance (such as it is!)...after watching the video comp (which I rented...what a loser I am...), I don't feel so bad that I'm such a bad dancer, watching the Johns jump around and stomp...I was like, wow, that's how I dance! I also like the Don't Let's Start face-grabbing dance, which is similar to the Ana Ng moves and grooves... Anyone ever read the comic Eightball by Daniel Clowes? It reminds me of Milk and Cheese and other Evan Dorkin classics in its misanthropy, but it's on a different level, not so violent. Really great art and such, and don't miss the compelling "Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron"! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:29:41 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: TMBG: FREAKS R US THis is sort of a reference to the current "I like/dislike being called a freak" thread. I don't particularly like the word freak because it doesn't mean anything anymore. I used to love being a freak. Lately, though, it's become pretty hip so everyone is claiming they're freaks of some type. One thing's for sure, though. If you are called a freak by a third party, it can usually be a real indicator that you ARE a freak. That's why I like Flans' recent freak-magnet quote. If Flans says I'm a freak, he gives credibility to that notion; so I don't have to reinforce it by telling everyon I know that "I'm a real freak." James @ MU, a real FREAK, says Flans. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 21:59 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Stuff >BTW does any one else find the wizard of oz a disturbing film?????? Speaking of that, my little brother swears "Sleeping in the Flowers" is about the poppies scene in that movie. "Poppies, poppies, sleep... sleep..." Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 22:06 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > Self Called Nowhere was kind of a lonely song. I allways kind of >thought it was about a guy who had nothing left but this surreal fantasy >world in which he existed, and a couple of fond memories about this >electric organ. Hmm... I love this song. I just wanted to say that. :D It's lonely, but not really. Um, it's like this guy is feeling kind of lonely, but not necessarily in a bad way. Like when you're walking down the street by yourself singing TMBG songs, and you kinda wish there was someone to sing with, but it's okay to be by yourself, too. I think Grover sings a song about that on Sesame Street... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 19:56:38 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > > > > >Well, whoever it was posted that "You'll Miss Me" is one of the saddest > >TMBG songs there is. I just have to say that "Ana Ng" is probably (in my > >mind) the saddest, or at least one of the more contemplative, songs that > >They play. Of course, there's always "The End of the Tour" as well... > > True. When I was going through a rather depressing > relationship-related thingy last year, there was a line in "Puppet Head" > that seemed to sum up everything I was feeling: "If the puppet head was > only busted in, it'd be a better thing for everyone involved and we > wouldn't have to cry." I never thought that song was about a relationship, but I can see how it fits. Anyway, songs that depress me: They'll Need A Crane: "Love sees love's happiness, but happiness can't see that love is sad". God I love that line. Narrow Your Eyes: One of the saddest, most overlooked TMBG songs ever. Puppet Head: Depressing for a different reason, but when you think about it equally sad as all those linnell love songs. Where Your Eyes Don't Go I see some patterns here. Linnell songs(except for puppet head). Songs with relatively happy music, but sad lyrics, and songs I really like. Strange. Gratuitous non- TMBG content: I got that XTC album. It's OK, and well worth the price. Bye. -- "Civilization is a religion. Civilized people walk funny"-David Byrne Jonah, a mighty zombie talking about some love and posterity ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 22:23 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs the day (i dont really understand the lryics,but the >tone or something,just sad) Really? That one always made me feel kinda warm & squishy inside. Especially the part that goes "the trees all waved their giant arms/and happiness bled from every street corner/and biplanes bombed with fluffy pillows" How peaceful, bombs made of pillows... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 22:43:14 -0500 (EST) > > Say, has the new season of Larry Sanders started yet? Does anyone know > > when They'll be on? > The new season of Larry Sanders starts November 13 which, if I'm not > mistaken, is next Wednesday. I have only ever seen the show on HBO, and I > can't remember what time it airs because I ignore the commercials. They > are extremely annoying :) Wait a minute, Larry Sanders *is* on HBO, unless they changed? Well it don't matter, I'll tape off of HBO or whatever channel it comes on. But alas I won't be able to see it that night as I'll be out seeing Robyn Hitchcock!!! whoo hoo Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 00:23:54 EST From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: TMBG: CDs Hey guys! Just thought that I might fill everybody in on something stupid that I found today. I was just looking at all of the TMBG LPs, trying to figure out which one to listen to, and I noticed that FS is the only LP to have the TMBG name *not* in capital letters. Most of the EPs (well, the ones that I have)--except for I(nc) are in lower-case letters. I just thought that this was a stupid comment that many people don't care about, but I haven't posted in awhile, so I thought that I would share that info with everybody. Your welcome! :) tucker P.S. I ended up listening to the pink album. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 22:04:13 -0800 From: kliever@proaxis.com (count zero) Subject: TMBG: The Portland Show Someone said something about getting tickets for the portland OR show. If they could tell me where they got the tickets, how much, and when it starts, I would be eternelly grateful. Just send mail to Kliever@proaxis.com, no need to clutter peoples mailboxes. --- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 01:09:46 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: J.Otto.. TMBG content! I promise! Hello Everyone! My posts are few and far between, since I find so little I say is too terribly interesting. Recently, however, I have discovered something that has has made me happy. To those of you that have the singles Istanbul and I Palindrome I.. go and get them. Now look at the covers. This just happens to be done by my favorite artist, J. Otto Seibold. He also does childrens books that are really neat! I wrote him, and found out that he was also featured as a drummer in the video the guitar, and has done the really cute shirt with the bird in the tree (he has a hat on) calling dial-a-song. Again, I am very passionate about this guys art work, and you really should check it out! I plan on featuring some of his work from "free Lunch" from the Mr. Lunch series, and "Monkey Business" from the space monkey series for my 10 page paper in foundation art. Check it out!!!! www.jotto.com Okay? Hookie (pronounce it Hew key) PS.. To that Joshua guy thats into XTC and has the really cool web page. I think you're smurfy. The strange picture of the boy that looks unlike you is now on my desktop. You beat out "that guy" I can do this because I have a Mac, which rocks, to all you who think this is untrue. PSS.. Today is my birthday.. well, actually here it's after midnight, so its not anymore. "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 10:33:26 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: RE:Rhythm Section Want Ad Back during the Top 5 bit, I cited this song as one of my favorites of theirs. I mean that chorus... "For every one with dollar signs in his eyes, there must be hundreds that look at you as if you're some kind of..." Well you know it goes. That's the kind of thing you try to make someone try to say ten times fast. And these guys made it one of their catchiest bits from the first record. And an even a mention of Millions Of Dead Cops (MDC in the song) to boot. I don't know if anyone here was ever into MDC...or ever even heard any of their stuff...or heard of them for that matter. Their first album is worth checking out...it's old school hardcore punk with one catchy bit of hilarity entitled..."John Wayne was a Nazi" that must be heard by heard at least once by all. Anyway... Herne ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 22:29:58 -0500 From: Bill Laird Subject: TMBG: Xenia clearup and RSWA For those who were wondering, the Xenia mentioned in "Out of Jail" is, in fact, Xenia, Ohio. I know this because the time before last when they played here (On the John Henry Tour) the lovely and talented Mr. Flansburgh (Who, IMHO, is severely underrated) announced that the song was "About a couple from Xenia, Ohio," which if course, prompted everyone to cheer a good deal, since the concert I am speaking of took place in Cincinnati, Ohio (the city, incidentally, in which I live). My take on the meaning of this was that "Kitten" was fleeing her hometown, Xenia, due to her being pursued by the police, as she had just commited a crime. Just my opinion, though, since neither of the Johns have ever called me up (Though I am still hoping) and said "Bill, I feel that we should probably tell you everything you ever wanted to know about us and our music." And, just for the record, I am a Rhythm Section Want Ad freak, too. Sensurround@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-303 ******************************