Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-304 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 304 Wednesday, 6 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: OH shows/shirts/questions TMBG: devo TMBG: OZ Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans TMBG: Sad TMBG...:~( Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans (none) TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Conan O' Brian TMBG: Info Club Newsletter TMBG: re Dune and stuff TMBG: Sad TMBG...: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-302 Re: TMBG: devo TMBG: xtc site TMBG: In Ink 19, Sad, Freaks, TMBG: i have a john henry double disk TMBG: They Comix TMBG: Re: RSWA TMBG: Random Thoughts TMBG: Re: oh how we could harmonize TMBG: N. California Tour Dates TMBG: Random Thoughts TMBG: Re: oh how we could harmonize TMBG: Can you guys help me? Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: re: RSWA Re: TMBG: They Comix TMBG: I heard Linny on the radio! TMBG: they got lost Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: shirt reactions TMBG: Re:alt-rock Re: TMBG: OZ TMBG: Beating the Sad Dead Horse Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans TMBG: Xenia, Ohio shows, and more! TMBG: Reprehensible Re: TMBG: OZ Re: TMBG: Beating the Sad Dead Horse Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Open Letter TMBG: Interview w/Linnell Part1 Re: TMBG: devo Re: TMBG: Beating the Sad Dead Horse Re: TMBG: In Ink 19, Sad, Freaks, Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: Re: CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT Re: TMBG: They Comix Re: TMBG: They Comix TMBG: Roseland show TMBG: Roseland show, who's going? Re: TMBG: Xenia, Ohio shows, and more! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 5 Nov 1996 03:19:40 -0000 From: "John Henry" Subject: TMBG: OH shows/shirts/questions Hey you guys...........well, I dont't write too often, but when I do, I make sure its extremely pointless and burdensome........... Well, I already have tickets for the Cleveland show and I am hopefully going to the Columbus show too. So whoever else out there in List Land thats going to the Ohio shows we gotta figure something out.... and if not, come find me at the show anyways. I really wanna meet some listers (I'm not too hard to miss, Im that weird kid with the Buddy Holly glasses). Ok, what else can I babble about...........oh ya shirts......well, I have collected 4 over the years, and I just wimped out and ordered 3 more. General reactions to my shirt(s)(people are convinced I only have one........most likely because they are retarded), well they either sing a few imaginary lines from Istanbul/Particle Man or they ask me "do you actually like them?".....which deserves a sarcastic answer (Ex. "no, this is my mom's shirt"). Every once in awhile though, someone will come up to you who actually knows what he/she is talking about and you meet really cool people that way..... Anything else?.............oh ya, I was wondering, how old are you people?? I turned 16 in August, but I have a feeling that you are all like...............well, older than me. well, I have procrastonated enough --------------------DaN-YuL------------------ "and now I know how Joan of Arc felt as the flames rose to her roman nose and her Walkman started to melt" *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 14:36:53 PST Subject: TMBG: devo From: stu-pid@juno.com (Stuart m Oleson) >"The mirror it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a >fleshy overcoat and swaddled in: a furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of >shiny marble dice..." -TMBG >"God made man, but he used a monkey to do it. Apes in the plan, and >we're all here to prove it. I can walk like an ape, talk like an ape, >I can do what a monkey can do. God made man, but a monkey supplied >the glue." -DEVO > Tim Lloyd I just wanna say that DEVO is the second greatest band on the earth. TMBG being #1. Anyone who likes DEVO is automatically Cool in my book. - STU-PID@Juno.com "Miami Beach is where neon goes to die" -Lenny Bruce ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 15:11:43 PST Subject: TMBG: OZ From: stu-pid@juno.com (Stuart m Oleson) On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:54:56 GMT Grimleyfiendish writes: >BTW does any one else find the wizard of oz a disturbing film?????? >That's it. >Hope I have cheered someone on their merry way............ > >Chrissy x The Wizard Of Oz is very Scary!!!!!!! You know there is a rumor that you can see a dude hanging (you know, like, dead) in the background in one of the scenes. Creepy huh? When I was little we (my brother and my friends and I) would watch that movie on Halloween!! Anyway some TMBG related Thoughts- Does anyone know if They are coming to Tampa, or St.pete or near by, this Tour? If so when and Where? Thanx for your help. STU-PID@Juno.com "If I have to run you down please don't leave a scratch!" -THE DEAD MILKMEN ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 00:20:24 EST On Mon, 4 Nov 96 16:56 EST kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: >> Hmm, I don'tknow about anyone else, but I dislike being called >>a freak, especially with its new denomination or sect it describes. >>Everyone claims to be a freak. > > I dunno. I kinda enjoy it. Although my friends and I have always >called each other "phreaks." If you're a phreak, you're freaky in a good >way. If you're a "freak" then you're just, um, a freak. But that's just >our personaal terminology. In the bursting of bubbles: A "Phreak" is one who either hacks/cracks or uses bootleg computer software, or various computer illegalities, though one is not entirely which of these it is. The term is also used by various "Internet KidZ" on some of the ultra-commercial online services. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 02:10:00 -0700 (MST) From: "Jessica T. Gluckman" <143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu> Subject: TMBG: Sad TMBG...:~( I always thought "When It Rains, It Snows" was rather sad... ...When It Rains, It Snows...I Wonder Why... Other TMBG songs I think of sad would be: - They'll Need a Crane - the "Darkened Corridors" part of Fingertips...probably just because it sounds like Morrissey to me...hehheheh - O Do Not Forsake Me Uh...well TMBG's saddest songs are usually more cheery than the most upbeat song from a band like Joy Division....heh....I'm just reminded of that drawing on one of the EP covers with the snowman warming himself in front of a pile of burning money...sort of tragically melting away... I'm too tired to try to to make any connections.... ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ? Jessica Gluckman..."My name's not Prince, ? ? and I'm not funky." ? ? *Mail me at:143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu ? ? *Wander through my brain...if you dare : ? ? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2195 ? ?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~? ? "Sing your life, any fool can think of ? ? words that rhyme." ? ? -Morrissey ? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 04:23:19 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans Sorry to continue an off topic post but Phreaks don't necessairily need to even know how to use a computer. Hackers and Crackers use computers, Phreaks use (ph)fones. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 05:11:07 EST set tmbg-list digest Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Sad Songs Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 05:27:41 -0600 I just wanna say that most people have been looking over Why Must I Be Sad as a sad song...... this song almost always makes me sad...... i think. NOW i have a 5 line sig (i miscounted before) -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 06:53:09 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Conan O' Brian I thought the Giants are supposed to be on Friday, not Wednesday. I saw it on the web site. I guess I'll go check again. Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Info Club Newsletter From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 05:03:04 EST Eee hee hee hee. I have just spent the best half-hour of this three-day weekend. I read my Info Club newsletter, ran down to the drug store to photocopy the middle pages, then tore out the middle page, cut it up, and folded it into...drum roll please, mr. doherty... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS' FACTORY SHOWROOM SINGALONG BOX It's the width & height of a CD, and looks like it could hold about three or four. I'm wrapping mine in clear packing tape to preserve it for future generations. And for those of you who STILL haven't received your Info Club newsletters: buy something from the Info Club. You'll get one when your order arrives in a month or so. Then you, too can have Arts & Crafts time as I just have. fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd Omaha, NE, USA Random TMBG quote: "In 1844, the Democrats were split. The three nominees for the presidential candidate were: Martin Van Buren, a former president, and an abolitionist; James Buchanan, a moderate; Lewis Cass, a general and expansionist" ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: re Dune and stuff From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:44:51 EST > I've seen it (in fact I have it on tape) but i have a hard >time >sitting through the entire thing. Gotta love it, though. :) My >little >brother screams "I WILL KILL YOU!!" every time I mention Sting. >*sigh* > >Kirsten I love that scene! And now for some TMBG content: Whilst visiting the Iowa State campus to decide if it's worth my application, I wore my 2040 Tour shirt. I recieved NO COMMENT WHATSOEVER about the shirt. None. Not even a "Who are There May Be Giants?" or a "Who's the old guys on your shirt?" If there's anyone on this list from Iowa State, please attempt to explain yourself. Ooo, special bonus TMBG content: I got my order from the Info Club (with included "New Medium Size Edition" 1996 Holiday Edition thingy) in Less Than One Month. Unfortunately, it was only half the order, as they're currently out of the NASCAR shirt. I'm off to the Moichandice (to quote Yogurt) Page to look for a substitute. But wait, the credit voucher said the shirt would be available in about a month, so if I order now... fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd "I am the Lone Locust of the Apocalypse! Think of me when you look to the night sky!" "Oh, so now you're a locust, Zorak?" "I am the Lone Mantis of the Apocalypse!" "Where'd my horse go?" --my odd recollection of a SGC2C episode (by the way, for you Space Ghost and/or Mad Max fans out there, can you spot the origin of the "think of me when you look to the night sky" bit?) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Sad TMBG...: Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:56:03 -0500 (EST) > I always thought "When It Rains, It Snows" was rather sad... > ...When It Rains, It Snows...I Wonder Why... > > Other TMBG songs I think of sad would be: > > - They'll Need a Crane > - the "Darkened Corridors" part of Fingertips...probably just because it > sounds like Morrissey to me...hehheheh > - O Do Not Forsake Me > > Uh...well TMBG's saddest songs are usually more cheery than the most > upbeat song from a band like Joy Division....heh....I'm just reminded of > that drawing on one of the EP covers with the snowman warming himself in > front of a pile of burning money...sort of tragically melting away... I'm > too tired to try to to make any connections.... Well, hopefully one of the Johns won't hang himself either... Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-302 Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:06:52 -0500 (EST) > On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > > Hey, is the list so small because of the lack of Ruprecht and Blue Dawg? And > > where'd Matt James run off to?? :0 > > Ruprecht is here, but silent. I'm here, y'all wouldn't get so lucky to > see me leave. :) Dunno where Matt is......maybe he got eaten by the > Beltway. Hmmm? I'm here. Which beltway are you refering to Bluedawg? 8-) /Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: devo Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:10:13 -0600 (CST) > I just wanna say that DEVO is the second greatest band on the earth. > TMBG being #1. Anyone who likes DEVO is automatically Cool in my book. Well, I can't really say I'm a fan, because I've heard so little Devo, but I have to say that their remix of Head Like a Hole ROCKED!!! The really scary part is that I like that mix better than I like the original! Wow! Anyway, back to sleep..... -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by FIRE / love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ universe." - Dante *'`'*.,.'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'* WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: xtc site Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:10:43 -0500 (EST) To Joshua (and all XTC freakazoids), did you know that http://www.charm.net/~duke/xtc/beatown.html is a nifty XTC page and that it resides on my provider's server? It's neato, it's called Beatown. Check it out. Now my train's running low on soul coal so I must depart. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:41:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: In Ink 19, Sad, Freaks, Hello 41- Well, here are a few tidbits I have found in the world of They lately... Ink 19 Magazine- is a music paper that serves the southeast, and maybe more. Well, two things were found there. The first was some guy wrote a review on the Alachua County Music Harvest that TMBG headlined. He said they were good, though there were mixing board problems, and this guy was a heavy punk/ska fan. Also, the alternative station out of Daytona Beach has They Might Be Giants as #2 of their top 19, beating out Marylin Manson, The Cure, 311, Beck, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Bush, Social Distortion, Pearl Jam, and other mentioned bands. Made me pretty happy! Re Sad- spud@tmbg.org wrote- << (I don't have the lyrics in front so don't nit pick)>> Well what do you expect??? 8^) And though I never really found it relevant, I always thought a sad line was "a sad pun that reflects a sadder mess" from World's Address. Freaks- It seems the new thing in highschool/grammar school that I observe is if you are *not* a freak, you are bad and wrong. I find this odd, but oh well. Adam "Yeah!" -Lady is a Tramp ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 11:40:19 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: i have a john henry double disk Organization: West Virginia Network i found it at a local music vendor. says it is a an australian tour release....second disc has 17 minutes of live stuff on it. i have no idea where you could ge it, though..... sam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:57:07 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: They Comix You know, I was thinking. (Run away, run away!). You all know how the Grateful Dead have their own little comics series (not that I have one or anything, I just know of them...)? Would it just not be the coolest thing ever to have a comics series on They? You know, the Adventures of John and John (like some kind of weird Pete and Pete redux?)...we could base each issue on one of their songs. "Out of Jail" would be a good one, I think, and "Hotel Detective" (kind of a slow mo version of the video, eh?)...here I am discussing everyting in the royal we, though, I think only a few people could really do it. I might just try it and run some ideas out on paper. What do you think, sirs? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:08:33 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Re: RSWA >At 02:08 AM 11/3/96 CST, you wrote: >>Chris, you are not alone. Rhythm Section Want Ad is one my most >>favorite songs IN THE WORLD. It just KICKS ASS plain and simple. > >I have to agree, why is Rythum Section Want Ad looked over? It's on my personal desert island tmbg tape. I especially like those hyper lines like "If you dig Menudo or MDC we salute you the way we know". Dig that silly poetry/pro's pun in the first verse, pretty neat. -Bob http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 12:22:19 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Random Thoughts Yeah. I'm really getting into this whole posting thing, so I apologize if I just write stupid thoughts in advance... Anyways, just a few thoughts from me. First, I'm really surprised that "She's an Angel" didn't come up in the discussion about sad songs that They play. It's just plain deepressing if you think about it...I still absolutely love that song, though. I think I'll have to say that it's my favorite on that album (sorry, RSWA fans...) Second, whoever posted about hoping that the Johns don't hang themselves: come on, man. I know you were kidding and everything, but Ian Curtis's death, while not nearly as publicized as some other musician's death (I think we all know who I'm referring to), is not really a laughing matter. Don't get me wrong, I don't worship Joy Division or anything (they are cool, though...). I just don't think suicide's something to take lightly... Third, anyone have any thoughts about "They Got Lost"? What did everyone think of that song? I personally loved it... Fourth, whoever posted about ages, I'm 18... I suppose that's it. See ya on tour, folks... ----- Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Where do the brokenhearted park their cars?" --Pere Ubu (a band that They turned me on to) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 12:50:52 -0600 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: TMBG: Re: oh how we could harmonize Has anyone noticed that it doesn't seem as if John and John sing *together* much on Factory Showroom? On many songs, it sounds as if each sings harmony for himself. But I'm not going to try to name specific songs because I'd probably be wrong! :) So I'll leave it to someone with keen hearing to confirm or refute. What do you think? V. -------------------- Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen Editor Health Sciences Public Affairs UW-Madison ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:44:00 -0800 From: Doug Shannon Subject: TMBG: N. California Tour Dates Just went to the TMBG Web site and low and behold the tour dates were only through October. I'm looking for the dates of the San Francisco show and the Petaluma show. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks very much! Doug Shannon Level Designer for some Star Wars Game LucasArts Entertainment Company ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Random Thoughts Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 13:53:36 -0500 (EST) > > Second, whoever posted about hoping that the Johns don't hang themselves: > come on, man. I know you were kidding and everything, but Ian Curtis's > death, while not nearly as publicized as some other musician's death (I > think we all know who I'm referring to), is not really a laughing > matter. Don't get me wrong, I don't worship Joy Division or anything > (they are cool, though...). I just don't think suicide's something to > take lightly... The guy's been dead for 16 years, we didn't know him. I like Joy Division a lot and I think Ian was a great musician but he hanged himself, that's kinda stupid, although I'm sure he had major head problems. I'll have to read Touching from a Distance sometime to get more of the story. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Re: oh how we could harmonize Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 13:55:45 -0500 (EST) > Has anyone noticed that it doesn't seem as if John and John sing *together* > much on Factory Showroom? On many songs, it sounds as if each sings harmony > for himself. But I'm not going to try to name specific songs because I'd > probably be wrong! :) > > So I'll leave it to someone with keen hearing to confirm or refute. What do > you think? On Spiralling Shape they sing together. "Everyone wants to see that groovy thing (Flans), everyone wants to see that groovy thing (Linnell), Everyone wants to see that thing (Flans)." -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 14:15:09 -0500 (EST) From: Nette the Wonder Hamster Subject: TMBG: Can you guys help me? Hello everyone!! I realize that I haven't been on in a while; however, I have some comments to make.......... :) Rhythm Section Want Ad: Good song, but not nearly as cool as Everything Right is Wrong Again. (Gee, 1st and last songs on the tape. incidentally, RSWA is my 4th fave on Pink and Blue Dog [my name for it], after ERiWA, She's an Angel, and Don't Let's Start.) Things I gotta ask: Where can I find the latest tour dates and directions to the shows? Also, does anyone know of any up-coming "freebie" shows that They may be having? (current budget is in the negatives... argh) The Main Point: I'm trying to put up Linnell and Flansburg Worship Pages, but I'm going to need some help. Any personal data anyone may know about them (birthdays, hair and eye color, favorite food, movie, etc., if they have tattoos/birthmarks and where) or any individual pictures (in GIF or JPG format) would be greatly appreciated. The completed pages will be at http://www.tcnj.edu/~frost/flanny.html http://www.tcnj.edu/~frost/linnell.html Thanks for your help! Later Nette Who's that Spartan singing TMBG? It's me! It's me! ____________________________________________________________________________ Memorable quotes from this week...... ____________________________________________________________________________ Remember - Elvis is dead, deal with it. - Chris or Maliki The buck has been passed more times than a nude hitchhiking John Popper. - Sean Ryan Draw the line dividing laugh and scream. - They Might Be Giants **don't forget to go to my web page..... http://www.tcnj.edu/~frost** ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: 5 Nov 1996 19:16:47 -0000 From: "Phil Bickel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Just ot chunk in my $.02... IMHO, the saddest song ever written is by TMBG. I've Got a Match. It simply sums up hopeless love in such a somber way. "Which one of us is the one you can't trust? You say that, 'I think it's you,' but I don't agree with that. Of course, many of you have heqrd both the Amanda and Ann stories, both of which are set well to this song. many of yo uhave also heard aboutthe time I used it as an exteneded lullabye..so well, it could be all personal, I guess. Peace be phil "why did I got back to alt.music.tmbg?" "to get to the other side?" *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:48:22 -0800 From: Chris Ricci Subject: Re: TMBG: re: RSWA At 07:05 PM 11/4/96 -0600, William Tatalovich wrote: >Okay, I've let this go long enough. Whoever was the first one to write >the lyrics down to Rhythm Section Want-Ad messed them up. It's not "walk >softly, drive a sherman tank", it's "speak softly, drive a sherman >tank". At least all of my listening experiences with RSWA make me think >that... William and the rest of the TMBGers.. I apologize profusely for messing up the words.. My whole TMBG collection (including Misc T, the pink album, Flood, Apollo 18..) got ripped off (along with my car stereo, cellular phone, and 26 other cds..)at a Barenaked Ladies concert at the American Legion Hall in Los Angeles. (Anyone like them BTW, I think they rock) Of course I have no money to replace the stuff. Anyway its been almost 4 monthes now.. So my memory is not as sharp as it should be.. Enjoy! Chris Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:59:10 -0800 (PST) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: TMBG: They Comix |---------------------------| | grefin@cyberhighway.net | |---------------------------| But I'm thinking of a wooden chair In the room at the top of a stair And I'm looking down the stairwell At the vanishing dot On the map of the spot Let me take you there The dotted line Surrounding the mind Of a self called nowhere -They Might Be Giants On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Queen Sneepy wrote: > You know, I was thinking. (Run away, run away!). You all know how the > Grateful Dead have their own little comics series (not that I have one or > anything, I just know of them...)? Would it just not be the coolest > yes... i think this is a good idea! i would love to help on this project. i am a comic writer... i do not do art though, so contact me :) ------------------------------ Date: 5 Nov 1996 20:11:31 -0000 From: "John Henry" Subject: TMBG: I heard Linny on the radio! I had a totally similar experience........the other day, we were arguing about what to listen to in the car (I was not driving with fans of good music) and someone turned the station, and under penalty of death I made them keep it there.....it was one of those opener things bands record for stations that they play at the start of songs ......and it went "Hi, this is John Linnell and Brian Doherty of..... They Might be Shannon Doherty and you're listening to 107.9.....the end" and then they played Ana Ng, but I thought that was really swell, so you're reading it right now --------------DaN-YuL----------------- "I want my two dollars" *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 14:24:57 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: they got lost Hi everyone, I would just like to say that They Got Lost was a great song. I only heard it once, when I saw Them in concert, but I really liked it. Okay, so I was at work in a little town called Platteville way out in the middle of nowhere. The radio was on in the background, and all of a sudden they played TMBG! They played Which Describes How You're Feeling. I was so surprised because Platteville only has about 5 country radio stations and one talk station. Now my day is complete! Oh, to whoever wanted to know ages - I'm 18. -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 96 16:33 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > > I just wanna say that most people have been looking over Why Must I >Be Sad as a sad song...... this song almost always makes me sad...... i think. Yeah, that's one of my all-time favorite songs because it perfectly sums up the way I feel when I get in a blue funk. I don't really have a reason to be sad, I just am. "rows of dandilions growing all around me, why must I be sad?" Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 15:34:46 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: shirt reactions I've got the tour hats t-shirt and generally people take about five minutes to read everything on it(they're slow readers) and then say "Huh, who's They Might Be Giants?" Occasionally a rare and wonderful soul will say "Hey, TMBG. They're cool." But that doesn't happen often. Also, what happened to that video collection someone was putting together. When's that going to be done? Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 15:43:25 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Re:alt-rock > >Ok, what is "silly alt-rock cred"? > > I'm not sure, but I have a little anecdote to share with y'all regarding > just such a thing. At a Toad The Wet Sprocket concert once, the lead singer, > in an attempt to get the crowd to stop moshing, said "If you're moshing to > maintain your alternative credibility, I think you should know that being at > a Toad The Wet Sprocket concert automatically ruins it anyway." :) I don't know. I kind of think Toad the Wet Sprocket, and TMBG was too but please don't get angry, was alternative but they were alternative meant something. You know, pre-Pearl Jam-Eddie Vedder-"Look at me I'm God" alternative stuff. Just a side note, I remeber people I knew telling others "My you're looking very alternative today" in a seemingly sarcastic, satirical way. It's TMBG related. They were fans. Anyway, alt-rock is now mainstream so it's a pointless, meaningless term that basically refers to any new, slightly rock-type music. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 17:15:46 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: OZ On Fri, 10 Feb 1995, Stuart m Oleson wrote: > The Wizard Of Oz is very Scary!!!!!!! And the governor of my beloved state, Mississippi, looks just like the Wizard. Kirk Fordice and the Wizard of Oz....seperated at birth? TMBG Content: Uh, I dunno.....what's on Dial-a-Song lately? S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 17:32:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lambrakos Subject: TMBG: Beating the Sad Dead Horse Postings tend to beat dead horses, luckily they don't get hurt... they're DEAD!! But to ignore my own quip remark, anyone think of "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal"? I find this to be quite a melancholy tale of optomistic youth being crushed by the dishonest cynicism of maturity. This song is, at least in my book, one of the saddest TMBG songs out there. In fact, I find most of the Johns' songs to be sad in one aspect or another. "Purple toupee will show the way when summer brings you down", "..but I was following the traces of your fingernails that run along the windsheild of the boat of car", "...all she left was an unloaded gun, and my face was blushing from all the things she's done", are just a few. Now don't get me wrong, I love it all, I even hum happily to "Stomp Box", and in no way am I saying that all of their songs are sad, but I think sadness is a recurring, if not dominant theme that appears in much of their music. Just voicing my little opinion. Thanks for tuneing in. Will. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 16:44:41 -0600 (CST) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Ununoctium U. Ununoctium wrote: > On Mon, 4 Nov 96 16:56 EST kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten > Brodbeck) writes: > > >> Hmm, I don'tknow about anyone else, but I dislike being called > >>a freak, especially with its new denomination or sect it describes. > >>Everyone claims to be a freak. > > > > I dunno. I kinda enjoy it. Although my friends and I have > always > >called each other "phreaks." If you're a phreak, you're freaky in a > good > >way. If you're a "freak" then you're just, um, a freak. But that's > just > >our personaal terminology. > > In the bursting of bubbles: A "Phreak" is one who either > hacks/cracks or uses bootleg computer software, or various computer > illegalities, though one is not entirely which of these it is. The term > is also used by various "Internet KidZ" on some of the ultra-commercial > online services. > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ A phreak was originally meant to be someone who 'hacked' or 'phreaked' phone systems. In fact, that's all it means. What you were refering to would be a cracker, a pirater, and a hacker respectively, according to your list. If the new meaning has sprung up in the last year - then I admit my agression and ignorance, and I'm sorry. But that's the way I and everyone I know have always understood it. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:06:12 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Xenia, Ohio shows, and more! > Also, thanks to everyone for the insights into Xenia from John Henry. > Someone (I forget who, sorry) convinced me that it is indeed Xenia, Ohio, > that they're talking about, because Flans (I think) went to college > there. Wow....cool people really do go to Ohio.... And some of us are unfortunate enough to live there! :) But the one good thing about living here is that I have the opportunity to see Them 3 times in about a month from now! I'm going to try once again to take some pictures, and hopefully they'll be better this time. I will almost definitely be at the Columbus show, I will *definitely* be at the Cleveland show, and I will most likely be at the Cincinnati show. I'm trying to figure out something to make or bring as a beacon to listies far and wide! Let me know if you have any ideas. You know, ever since I got Factory Showroom, Your Own Worst Enemy has reminded me of an earlier TMBG song. After careful study involving me listening to Lincoln, the Pink/Blue Dog album, and Misc T, I've realized that it's When It Rains It Snows. I think what really makes me link the two is the fact that they both have lines about people knocking on the door, but there's no one there. Am I the only one that thought this? Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:25:02 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Reprehensible I'm looking for a recording of Reprehensible on tape. I have a few things to trade so please email me if you can help! Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Half of the people in the world are below average. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: OZ From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 18:24:36 EST BTW does any one else find the wizard of oz a disturbing film?????? Did you Know that in the scene where the trees are throwing apples at dorthy and the scarecrow there is one of those midgets hanging from a tree in the background you got to look for it but its there,,, Story- a midget hung himself on the set "Believe it or not"-Mr. Ripley ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 96 18:56 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Beating the Sad Dead Horse I think sadness is a recurring, >if not dominant theme that appears in much of their music. Just voicing my >little opinion. Thanks for tuneing in. I think sadness is a recurring theme in *most* music. ;) But I think you notice it more in TMBG songs because many of them, at first listen, seem to be so happy and bouncy. Then, after you listen to the lyrics closely, you go (as I have been wont to do) "Hey, this song is kinda sad..." I think that's part of the reason I like Them so much. They have happy music for when I'm in a good mood, and sad stuff for when I feel like being sad. Pretty nifty, I think. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 19:30:04 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs yup. yup. I hear ya. those songs...and I'm not even in a relationship or anything. Or maybe it's just me lately..every year about this time, I slip into some sappy-nauseating-lovey-dovey phase. Someone help. ::sigh:: I can't explain it cause I don't know what it is..No reason what so ever. It's a depressing one too. For no damn reason. Every year between september and november. I haven't the faintest idea why. Well I was listening to "Narrow your eyes" thinking how true it is..like the "you don't want to understand.." part. The first time I heard it, it reminded me of a particular summer friendship.. (the sand.. etc) I love these depressing They songs. And "They'll Need A Crane". wow. I love the "nightmare people" line too. Is it just me, or anyone else too? Ooh, am I babbling? :D Well...I'm sorry. I'll shut up. :) Maybe Sarah just needs a hobby... ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 16:32:30 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: TMBG: Open Letter hey all, I've noticed that people have been complaining (some, not alot) about how some subjects are posted into the ground and everybody is sick of them. I can't understand what their problem with it is. The reason I joined this list was to find out about other fans (the "Who are you" thread), see what other's like and dislike (Top and Bottom 5's), as well as how the songs affect them (Sad Songs). I believe that when you join a mailing list with more than just a few members, then you are bound to get alot of responses to popular threads. I don't think that any of them have been tired or beaten, instead I think they were just something alot of people wanted to discuss. I think that if these people don't like to get these "tired" threads from lots of fans then maybe they are on the wrong list. Perhaps there is a list out there that drops only the "important" threads from the people that "matter" into their mailboxes. I personally enjoy reading the messages that are posted on this list. I think TMBG fans are the coolest, and they (no pun intended) usually have neat things to say. That's it, thanks -- "I'm sitting on the curb, of the empty parking lot, of the store where they let me play the organ," -They Might Be Giants, Self Called Nowhere Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Interview w/Linnell Part1 Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 19:18:52 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Okay peoples, Here is the first half or so of the interview I did with Linnell. You can skip the first 30 lines or so if you don't want to read the pre-interview banter. Stuff between *********** is what was said before the tape recorder started. The second part will be coming in a few days. In this section: -Touring with Hootie -Reactions from Hootie fans -Thought on FS -JH vs. FS -Where's that damn accordian? -"I Can Hear You" Enjoy! Aaron Interview with Mr. John Linnell of They Might Be Giants Conducted by Aaron Kohlbeck October 26, 1996 ******* Me: Hello? John Linnell: Is Aaron Kohlbeck there? Me: This is. JL: This is John Linnell from They Might Be Giants. Me: Good morning. Do you mind if I tape this? JL:I would prefer that you do. ********* JL: I am assuming that I am phoning at the right time and everything. I just have your name and the time. Me:um-huh JL:And you work for the Badger Herald, is that right? Me:Yes I do. JL: And where is that? Me: That's in Madison. JL: All right, okay. Me: Yah, it's one of two campus newpapers. JL: Okay. How are things in Madison? Me: Oh, things are hectic. JL: What's going on? Me: Umm, well, things are hectic for me because I just had exams last week and I got some this week and it never seems to end. JL: Well, thanks for taking the time out to chat with me. Me: Oh, well, thanks for calling. JL: No problem. Me: I really appreciate it. I'm actually going to see you on Wednesday. JL: Great. Me: When you're here. JL: Cool. Me: I'm really looking forward to that cause the last time I saw you was, oh, I don't know, three years ago. You were here in Madison and it was right before John Henry came out. JL: We've been there since then, though. We played their last year, actually. Me: Ya. I was actually going to go to that show to but it was during Spring Break... JL: I'm not saying that you have to go to every show [laughs] Me: I wanted to go, but it was, I was kind of upset because it was the one year out of all the years that I've been here that I went somewhere on Spring Break. It was kind of funny that way. So, umm... JL: We always love coming back. It's a really fun town to play. It's actually a really great, we get a great response in Madison for some reason. Me: Umm, so I guess I'll get started JL: Okay Me: I know that you are touring with Hootie right now. Hootie and the Blowfish. And I guess that just leads to the question "Why?" JL: Why Hootie? Me: Yah JL: Why the Blowfish? Well, the reason why we are doing these shows with them is because they asked us. The band, I guess, are They Might Be Giants fans and they are taking whatever band they want regardless of whether it's a band that is similar to them, you know. That's their position, they just felt like they wanted us, and it's not important to them that the bill be, you know, that we be a draw for people who would be on the fence about going to see Hootie and the Blowfish or something. Although I don't know whether that's definitely not the case, I think that maybe there might be some people coming just to see us. Anyway, from our side, it's pretty much an oppurtunity to play for a lot of people that have never heard us, and some of them have never heard of us. It's a real challenge, you know, it's not as much, frankly it's not as much fun as playing to our audience, because we have a lot of people out there that are scratching their heads. But, we're really making the point that, we're really tryin to get them to remember who we are. Basically, it's just a way to really broaden our horizons. We're really....they're really huge shows, we played at the Toronto SkyDome. We're playing all the domes you know. Every town has a dome I've discovered. We played in the Pyramid in Memphis, Tennessee, which I remember seeing something about on the news when it was built. We drove in, we didn't realize where we were playing, we were like "Oh, there's that pyramid. Ya, what is that used for anyway?" And our manager who was in the car said he thought it was where they would put the road salt and then we found out that was where we were playing that night. Me: So, basically, it was Hootie asked you. JL: Hootie asked, we said okay. We are touring to support our new record Factory Showroom but we thought we'd take a few weeks and do this thing. The thing that is funny about these shows is that we really are making alot of noise about ourselves, alot more than usual. I mean, most of the patter between songs right now, on these shows is "We're They Might Be Giants, our record is Factory Showroom", you know. "We're still They Might Be Giants, our record is really called Factory Showroom, please buy it". John (Flansburgh) actually did this thing last night, we were playing in Fort Wayne, and he told the audience, he told the audience, to buy the album. He said, "I'm not asking, I telling." [laughs] So we're gonna find out if the strategy is working, check out the SoundScan, see if people are responding to the command. Me: I suppose, it's..it's..so..by doing this, you viewed at a way of reaching more people than you would normally reach? JL: Absolutely. No question about it. Me: You said something about people scratching their heads at shows [with Hootie]. What has been the crowd reaction? JL: Generally it's been pretty good. We were sorta dreading the response. We've only on evening received, I think Lansing Michigan, where people started shouting, "Hootie, Hootie..." during our set. Other that that, we've been working really hard to get people to remember us and we've been doing alot of stuff that's kind of intended as spectacle for people who have never seen us before. We've kind of been gassing up, like we've been playing this song "Exquisite Dead Guy" which involves, well I can't even really tell you because it's a surprise. There is a way that we have been performing it which is memorable for those people who are close enough to see what is going on. It's a part of the show where they go,"And remember when they did that?". That's kind of the idea. Unfortunately the other problem, actually it's not so much that people are not responding or are not into it, is that they haven't shown up yet. That's the other obstacle that we are up against. But normally the people that come early are the people that have heard of us and want to see our show. So that work's out okay. Me: Factory Showroom just came out. What is your general feeling about the album? JL: I'm pretty excited about it. Generally we've gotten a better instant response than we got with John Henry. There's something about the album that immediately grabs people. Which I don't really know how to account for except that the album is shorter, so that may be the explanation. It is easier to eat up in one bite. Or a few bites. I love John Henry myself, but it's a lot of songs to sit down and listen to. Me: I notice on John Henry, versus Factory Showroom, that there are a lot more horns. Are you still experimenting with the full band sound? JL: Basically, the idea behind John Henry was to record a live band more or less. We didn't plan on doing a lot of overdubs or substituting. We wanted to record this band that we've been playing with the past two years. That was the idea and that's kind of why, when there's variety, it's like horns versus no horns. As opposed to our previous records, which are really arranged willy-nilly. We didn't have a band so we could put whatever we wanted on any track and John and I loved the sounds. We would often come up with stuff purely because it was interesting. It was always in the service of the song, but that's sort of our nature. We feel like arranging is something were you get to be totally playful if you want to. You can try out a lot of things. Arranging is kind of a lost art in a way. Most bands don't do that. They have two guitars, a bass and drums and the most bold thing they do is add some keyboards or add something else. And when you listen to records from 30 or 40 years ago, they are really deciding about every single instrument, whether they are going to be included or not. So that always appealled to us. And with John Henry, that was where we tried to move away from that and try to record the band. And with this last record, we've really returned to that approach. We have a band, got bass and drums, but they don't appear on every track. There's a much more free attitude about what sounds appear on a track. Some tracks are built around sounds that really have nothing to do with the band like "The Bells Are Ringing" which has its basis in the bells and the woman's voice and this military snare drum in the end. Stuff like that. The song "Your Own Worst Enemy" is just a very inexpensive drum machine and a cello and I think and organ. So that was kind of our original bag. Me: I guess I also wanted to ask, what happened to the accordian? JL: The accordian has always been a much more present thing in our live shows. If you listen to our first two records, there's not an overwhelming amount of accordian. It does show up on a lot of tracks but... It probably shows up on less than half the songs and that's true on Flood and Apollo 18 and it's more true on John Henry. I think that there are only two tracks on John Henry that have the accordian. It used to be my main instrument alot when we performed live because we had another guy playing keyboards. I played accordian and saxophone for the first period when we had this other keyboard player and now that I am playing keyboards, I really don't play accordian on more than a couple songs in the show because I've got a lot of different duties. It's definitely been whittled down in the show, but it's my instrument and I still write songs for the accordian. Me: "I Can Hear You". That was recorded at the Edison labs on original equipment. How did that come about? JL: They have been recording variouos acts, I guess once or twice a year, for a little while. I think Wynton Marsalis came in and Les Paul came in and recorded something and we were just on their list. It was great. It was exactly the kind of thing that we love doing. It wasn't up to us, it was lucky. It was very fun. Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Check out the Herald Online: http://www.badgerherald.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 19:21:41 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: Re: TMBG: devo > > TMBG being #1. Anyone who likes DEVO is automatically Cool in my book. > > Well, I can't really say I'm a fan, because I've heard so little Devo, but > I have to say that their remix of Head Like a Hole ROCKED!!! The really > scary part is that I like that mix better than I like the original! Wow! > COILED? Is that you? It is! Isn't it? I knnew it! You see guys? He like Devo! ;p he he he he he (I'm being naughty) James @ MU ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 21:01:31 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Beating the Sad Dead Horse On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Lambrakos wrote: > Postings tend to beat dead horses, luckily they don't get hurt... they're DEAD!! > > > But to ignore my own quip remark, anyone think of "Hey, Mr. DJ, I > Thought You Said We Had A Deal"? I find this to be quite a melancholy tale > of optomistic youth being crushed by the dishonest cynicism of maturity. > This song is, at least in my book, one of the saddest TMBG songs out there. You missed it.....hehe....The whole song is made in the "I'll scratch your record" line.....ask a DeeJay what it means.....I'm not gonna tell ya. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 12:29:23 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: In Ink 19, Sad, Freaks, From: stu-pid@juno.com (Stuart m Oleson) On Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:41:38 -0500 NitpickR@aol.com writes: >Hello 41- > >Well, here are a few tidbits I have found in the world of They >lately... > >Ink 19 Magazine- is a music paper that serves the southeast, and >maybe more. Well, two things were found there. The first was some guy wrote >a review on the Alachua County Music Harvest that TMBG headlined. He said they >were good, though there were mixing board problems, and this guy was a >heavy punk/ska fan. Also, the alternative station out of Daytona Beach has >They Might Be Giants as #2 of their top 19, beating out Marylin Manson, The >Cure, 311, Beck, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Bush, Social Distortion, Pearl Jam, >and other mentioned bands. Made me pretty happy! >Adam I was at that show, THEY kicked some serious butt. My friend kenny and I were near the front. After the show kenny jumped a fence and ran to catch up with the Johns. They reckonized him from how many times he crowd surfed. pretty Cool. on the Freak/Phreak note: Most of the people I know that call themselves freaks are not original at all they all copy each other copying bands. The true(if there is suck a thing) freaks don't have to call themselves anything cause all the small minded people call them names, and relive the duty of labeling themselves. Did that make any sense at all???? oh well off to go play football and get slamed in the head!! :) STU-PID@juno.com "Forget regret or life is yours to miss" -RENT ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 20:51:10 EST I must agree "They'll need a crane" is very depressing especially the line "Love sees love's hapoiness but happiness can't see that love is sad",,,,,man thats deep "I accuse my Parents"-MST3K "but dosen't everybody"-me,,you can call me Nick ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 22:06:08 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG have a lot of sad songs...the ones everyone have been listing seem like sad songs relationship wise, pretty much...except for Mr. DJ, of course. I think one of They're saddest songs is "Till My Head Falls Of" which I may have mentioned before. The note of desperation in the song (and I think of it in a different way than what the Johns say it means) just makes me want to cry. "Rabid Child" too has this desperation. I agree that "You'll Miss Me," the song that started this whole thread is a sad song too...especially the "it must be raining 'cause a man isn't supposed to cry" line. My favourite part of that is the "every tree a finger of my glove" bridge part. "My Evil Twin" or, my favourite song, is a sad song too...it so relates to my life, that and "Your Own Worst Enemy" which I rank, in topic, up there with MET...I keep checking my door to see if he's out there! Oh, and as something completely different- has anyone seen the Endless Mike pizza comercials? Cool, eh? I wouldn't buy pizza from Endless Mike. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 21:09:17 EST On Mon, 4 Nov 96 08:53:56 UT "Spencer Hale" writes: >THE INTERESTED PARTIE HAS MOVED AND THERE ARE NONE HERE AT ALL >INTERESTED IN >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. PLEASE CANCEL. NOW. >IT ONLY GETS DELETED. > >THANKS. > >- --------- >Sent: mon. nov. 3, 1:48 pm. >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: cancel all further tmbg-list Digest PLEASE. >cc: Spencer McFlie > Everybody E-mail him and fill up his computer with garbage "Everything is a dollar"-the lady at the dollar store ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 22:21:49 -0500 (EST) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: They Comix > I might just try it and run some >ideas out on paper. What do you think, sirs? Actually, I have a friend who was already thinking of writing a short story about every single one of Their songs (yeah, she's nuts). Another one of my friends always did this thing where she'd take a song and write it out on a piece of paper and illustrate all the funny bits--we'd call 'em Moriessey-O-Grams because it was usually done with a Smiths song but I did it with a couple They songs. That could be one format for a They comic (not comix!), perhaps with John and John wandering through it all or making cameos, depending on the song. -Kilroy Hats off to the use of hats! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 22:24:06 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: They Comix On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Kilroy wrote: That could be the format for a They comic (not comix!), perhaps with John and John wandering through it all or making cameos, depending on the song. > -Kilroy > Hats off to the use of hats! > This is kind of what I was thinking...illustrating what was going on in the song, and having the Johns like they usually appear, JF with a guitar and JL with the accordian, kind of popping in, or in the back ground, like narrators. Except, of course, the songs in which they say "I" or "me", then I'd have the representative John feature in the narrative. I know it's not comix, but I just like the way the word looks. I'm annoying this way, that's why JL won't let me tour with Them. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 23:08:31 EST From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: TMBG: Roseland show Ummm...can I just tell you how jealous I am of the people going to the Roseland show on Friday? I *thought* that I would be going after I found out about it at the Philly show, but NOOOOOO...the Rolex tournament has to interfere. The things that I have to do for college tennis......(JK). Oh well....I better do well!! :) tucker Everybody who is going--have fun for me!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 23:39:51 -0500 (EST) From: The Chipmunk Girl Subject: TMBG: Roseland show, who's going? Hey there amigitos, Who is going to the Roseland show anyway?? I want to know who I may have the pleasure of meeting. We should set up a place. Any ideas? ** Nola ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 01:45:21 -0500 From: Brian Evans Subject: Re: TMBG: Xenia, Ohio shows, and more! Has anyone actually gotten tickets to the Columbus show? I've asked everywhere, Ticketmaster, and some local ticket places, but noone seems to know anything about TMBG coming to Columbus at all. They all look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them they're gonna be here on the 3rd. Brian ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-304 ******************************