Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-305 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 305 Thursday, 7 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Sad songs, etc. Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. TMBG: Conen OBrien (sp) TMBG: Cincinnati, Columbus, & Cleveland OH MY! TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Stuff TMBG: They comics and DATWOO TMBG: Who this who that Re: TMBG: Sad Songs TMBG: TMBG Election Day Gig TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy TMBG: i wanna go to cleveland! TMBG: Please, Pretty please TMBG: MI Re: TMBG: They Comix TMBG: TMBG Election Day Gig TMBG: Istanbul TMBG: Sad songs Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. Re: TMBG: MI TMBG: Cheap Factory Showroom CDs in the UK TMBG: Cincy! Re: TMBG: MI TMBG: Now That I have everything TMBG: Quickie TMBG: Cleveland and the wonderful land of oz TMBG: Dial-A-Song during the day TMBG: TMBG Comics TMBG: Re: CDs Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. Re: TMBG: They Comix TMBG: Ohio Shows, Sad Songs, etc. TMBG: Ana Ng = Sad Song? TMBG: Re: i have a john henry double disk TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT TMBG: Puppet Head interp (was: Sad Songs) Re: TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT TMBG: TMBG song that best describes me... Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders TMBG: re: Sad Songs Re: TMBG: They Comix TMBG: Make that one sad song Re: TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT (none) TMBG: Re: My last post Re: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy TMBG: Re: Sad songs, etc. Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. Re: TMBG: Columbus OH Show TMBG: Re: oh how we could harmonize TMBG: Re: CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT TMBG: Elections TMBG: conan TMBG: Conan TMBG: Them on Conan TMBG: TMBG on Conan Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Re: Sad songs, etc. From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 02:22:43 EST It seems to me that the majority of the songs that Linnell writes are sad ones, yet they are also my favorite ones. A few of my favorites include They'll Need A Crane, End of the Tour, Unrelated Thing, and I've Got a Match. I do think that he is a *wonderful* songwriter and lyricist. I think one of the reasons for this is that his mother is a poet and he seems to have a real love of literature and poetry. Of course, this is my opinion;). I've been listening to No One Knows My Plan a lot lately and it's really becoming one of my favorite They songs. Anyone else like this one a lot? I particularly like the line "But they're like the people chained up in the cave in the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy". Back to lurking, Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 02:34:46 EST You know now that I really think of it "Pice of Dirt" is a real sad song too,,I mean look at the lyrics "Pice of Dirt, My whole world as slipped away....A womans voice on the telephne will convince you you're alone " acually there are alot of "sad songs" on Lincoln like "I,ve got a match" "Santa's Beard"(it talks about his woman cheating on him) "Lie Still Little Bottle" "Mr.Me" if you look at the lyrics it makes more sad sence there is no Peppy Music behind it oh well just wanted you to know Nick "Beat up the cat if you need someone else on the Mat"-TMBG -I've got a Match ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 11:18:39 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:56:17 -0700 (MST) David Simpson wrote: > From: David Simpson > Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:56:17 -0700 (MST) > Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > To: Kirsten Brodbeck > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > > > > I was going through something similar a little while ago. Okay, mabye it > was completely different but it was depressing and relationship related, > so.. Anyway, one day I came home and ws just really upset. I started > writing poetry about it and spent about an hour listening to "I've got a > match" off of Lincoln. It really helped. > > Dave Simpson > > .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? I'M not dave simpson in any way, shape or form, but that's beside the point. I've got a match is a very sad song I think but I'm told it means quite a lot to me...? and I think I understand, it seems to be talking about hopelessness but in a contented kind of way. I also think 'It's not my birthday' is a sad song too. One of the many things I like about THEM is that they write songs that are really quite sad (End of the tour, Birthday, don't let's start, piece of dirt) and disguise them as quite happy songs, which I think is quite clever. I guess it means you don't have to get melancholy unless you really want to. I also think that Fingertips is quite sad in the same way because when you first listen to it, it sounds almost daft. They were my thoughts for the day anyway, i hope they inspired someone > Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 11:24:00 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs On Mon, 4 Nov 96 22:06 EST Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > From: Kirsten Brodbeck > Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 22:06 EST > Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > > Like when you're walking down the > street by yourself singing TMBG songs, and you kinda wish there was > someone to sing with, but it's okay to be by yourself, too. Like Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman for example????? > > Kirsten > > -- > ___________________________________________________________________ ___________ > "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 07:11:27 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. Since we are on the subject of sad songs, why not songs that describe yourself? I guess mine would be No One Knows My Plan. It kind of reminds me of someone's quote ( The dumber someone thinks you are the, the more surprised they will be when you kill them) it went something like that, good quote. Well, I don't think it would be a good idea to pour my heart out to you and tell you why I think NOKMP suits me. Anyone else? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Conen OBrien (sp) Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 06:48:29 -0600 Well, apparently today we get to see TMBG on Conen OBrein (must be spelled wrong....) SO SET YOUR VCRS!!! Thats one thing i'm gonna look forward too all day. Dont read, pathetically unrelated: In case someone didn't know, clinton won. I felt like saying that cause i just finished some election related Social Studies homework. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 08:02:27 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati, Columbus, & Cleveland OH MY! so who all is going to the ohio shows... if my shirt is done by then i'll be wearing a bright green shirt w/ green jello football style across the upper back and tmbg on the front -- Green Jello "Stand on your own head for a change, give me some skin to call my own" - tmbg http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Sad Songs Date: Wed, 6 Nov 96 8:30:45 EDT From: John Pletikapich How about this depressing line (sorry if it wrong; no lyrics handy): Now it's over. I'm dead and and I haven't done anything that I want. Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do. Man, I'm bummed just typing it. -- john ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 08:38:51 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Stuff Hey guys, Monopuff are in the new BMG catalog, woo hoo! Check it out! Don't forget about Conan tonite! Boba OUt. -Matthew Ondrey "Dumb bastard, it's not a schooner it's a sailboat." - Willam boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 96 08:47:06 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: They comics and DATWOO hey, all! well, number one, i would *love* to see a They comic book! i would be very willing to help, if anyone needs any. i have no experience writig comic books, but i read them a lot, if that helps. (i'm not artistically inclined in a comic book sort of way, so that's out.) number two, that scene in the wizard of oz is not a dead guy hanging himself, it's the wing of a large bird (pelican?). check out the any number of faqs on the web, and watch the scene, and you can see that it's clearly a bird. (they were doing it all really on the cheap and there were birds in the next soundstage and one accidently got into the background ). take care! and may They be with you! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:16:49 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Who this who that Many people have already asked who's attending the Ohio shows, and many people have responded...I am one of those people....but now this is getting rather tiresome...I really wanna let everyone who's going to the cleveland show that I'll be there, and I may be attending the columbus show as well, but if people could just look a little more carefully at the posts .... I don't know, maybe it's just me.... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:13:29 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs Yes, this is true. Lincoln, I think has most of the sadder songs. "Lie Still, Little Bottle," though, I don't know. IT does have that desperation thing, though quiter, I think, than some of the other songs. I personally believe, though, that the songs with the happy music behind them are the saddest, because the lyrics are contrasted more by the music... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: Jeremiade@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:43:26 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Election Day Gig Here's the setlist from last night's free (invite-only) show at the Dublin Pub, on Long Island, NY, sponsored by WLIR 98.5 FM (in random order): Subliminal (okay, I remembered what They opened with) Particle Man S-E-X-X-Y Your Own Worst Enemy Metal Detector Istanbul Spider AKA Driver NYC How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Stayin' Alive (yes, *that* Stayin' Alive-'bout 2 minutes worth) Meet James Ensor Ana Ng Birdhouse in Your Soul Time Marches On (a new (?) tune they've been doing lately; this may not be the actual title, however) XTC vs. Adam Ant Till My Head Falls Off James K. Polk Spy Snail Shell Why Does the Sun Shine? Dig My Grave (and I remembered their closer-a shocker, no?) Total Running Time: 'bout 90-100 minutes. There you go. The show was truly flantastic-never before have I been that close to the band (the Dublin Pub is stupid small-even a tad smaller than the Merc for those who know what I'm talking about). Speaking of which, it was only Flans, Linnell, Maby, "Wah Wah" and Brian-no horns. And speaking of They-got to chat with Graham Maby-a great guy-and a friend of mine hounded Flans all the way out the door to see if he had listened to the demo tape we gave him a month back at the Merc. Sadly, he could not recollect what my pal was talking about. Oh well. At least we won passes to the Roseland gig... And speaking of that, anyone care to meet beforehand for a pint or two? Enjoy the shows! Jere ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:46:09 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy A little story from yhe other day... I work in the biology labs at school, and on monday I was moving a skeleton in a little glass cabinet from one room to the next. The skeleton was bouncing around a lot. Just then the professor who owns him comes in and says, whoo hold on, he is expensive... Ahh, look, his tooth just fell out again, ahh man. I apologized, he said don't worry. He was really being nice, but I could tell he was mad. Then I started to go in fits of laughter as EDG came to mind... From the professors point of view, the skeleton was the EDG, twisting in the cabinet, or rotating in the display case. The tooth falling out was "Swore I saw his mouth move" I don't know how the "outside my highrise apartment" fits in but in the case the skeleton was hanging from an eye hook, sounds a lot like the "sky hook" mentioned in the song. "How can I let you know the way I feel about you" has to do with how the nice professor couldn't tell me how much he hated me for the incident because he was just to darn nice. Anyway, he kind of looked at me funny as I tried to explain why I was laughing in his face.... Well, that is the end of another useless story :) SJL ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 10:47:20 -0500 From: susan lyon Subject: TMBG: i wanna go to cleveland! i don't think it's fair that they are playing *three* times in ohio but can't take a little detour up to michigan even once! anyway, anyone from ann arbor going and willing to give me a ride? i'd really really really appreciate it, especially since for the first time in forever they're touring but not playing here! i'd be interested in any of the shows, but the cleveland one more so i can meet that freaky wayde guy. :) well, lemme know anyway. i miss them! hugs, susan, who is very jealous of those ohioians right now... :) random thought that just occurred to me: i think it's interesting that there isn't really a good way to say "person from " for most states new yorker works and californian, but michiganian? michiganer? hmmm... *------------------------------------- yo ho ho and a bottle of diet vernors mozzer@umich.edu the.statue@tmbg.org *------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:27:33 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Please, Pretty please I am going to ask this question once more and hope that someone is actually going to respond to it. Tomorrow is the day of TMBG's chat on SonicNet. I am unable to go on-line for this so I would like someone who is going on to ask a question for me. The Question is:- "Are TMBG going to be touring in Britain in the near future" I would be extremely greatful if someone could do this for me (although not to the extent where I would give them money obviously). Douglas "Pigs may fly while angels walk the earth and cause mass panic to be waged in Iceland were the world can self destruct at any moment, just so that the strange denziens of the upper world can laugh and enjoy the fireworks" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:02:21 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: MI > there isn't really a good way to say "person from " for most states > new yorker works and californian, but michiganian? michiganer? hmmm... ' I could very possibly be wrong, but I was born there (my parents were on vacation) and everyone calls me a Michigander, which sounds like a type o bird.. but at least its not something like a blue footed boobie. Heather ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 12:12:56 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Comix LOL! I have already beat you to it! Well, just drawing them anyway. I've had a few in my notebook for the past month or 2. Let's see. For the songs, there's John and John in: "The Guitar" and "Rabid Child". Then there's an "Old Johns" which I drew before I was aware of the 2040 shirt; and there's one with Linnell and his new lawnmower (remember that short-lived thread? Linnell buys a new lawnmower to hunt down squirrels?). We should put together a book of some sort. :) Ooh now. I just realized something the other night. Whirlpool-- they each sing half the song. First half = Flans, second = Linnell. Hmm. >>Who's that Spartan singing TMBG? It's me! It's me!<< ROTFLMAO! :D ~sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "She thinks she's hot snot on a silver platter, but she's really a cold booger on a paper plate." - Mike, MST3K ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: TMBG Election Day Gig Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 12:16:10 -0500 (EST) > Subliminal (okay, I remembered what They opened with) > Particle Man > S-E-X-X-Y > Your Own Worst Enemy > Metal Detector > Istanbul > Spider > AKA Driver > NYC > How Can I Sing Like A Girl? > Stayin' Alive (yes, *that* Stayin' Alive-'bout 2 minutes worth) > Meet James Ensor > Ana Ng > Birdhouse in Your Soul > Time Marches On (a new (?) tune they've been doing lately; this may not be > the actual title, however) Could this be _Older_? -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 12:27:30 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Istanbul Didn't it say on tmbg.com that there were only cassettes of Istanbul available? Ha!! I ordered it in from HMV here in Kitchener, Ontario, and it came in (on CD) in a couple of weeks and they only charged me $9.99 Canadian. No shipping & handling, no long wait. This surprised me, maybe it doesn't surprise you all. (I've never actually ordered anything from info club, but I want ot get some t-shirts.) Maybe I can get Statue and O Tannenbaum this way and then my single collection will be complete! (I even have the Bar/None eps on vinyl!) So now I've finally heard the original version of James K. Polk--it'll take some getting used to, right now I prefer the FS version. -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:03:40 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Sad songs >COWTOWN, i know it has to be about suicide, Huh? Cowtown about suicide? Explain, please, this sounds interesting. I've heard the Holland interp and the submarine interp, but your suicide interp is a new one to me. Elaborate? >THis is sort of a reference to the current "I like/dislike being called a >freak" thread. > >I don't particularly like the word freak because it doesn't mean anything >anymore. >I used to love being a freak. Lately, though, it's become pretty hip so >everyone is claiming they're freaks of some type. Amen to that sentiment. It's very strange that lately, being a freak or being "twisted" is becoming more and more common. I was watching Animaniacs a few weeks and one of the commercials (it was for a radio controlled car or something) said "it'll do anything your twisted mind can dream up." And this was a kiddie commercial!! Something's wrong when kiddie commercials state that a "twisted mind" is something normal, even desirable, to have. In my world I am simply "the insane one." >Puppet Head: Depressing for a different reason, but when you think about >it equally sad as all those linnell love songs. Puppet Head a love song? Hmm... guess I never thought of it that way. I always liked the interp that said that putting your hand inside the puppet head was taking responsibility for your own life. --nicole the wonder nerd waving her freak flag higher and higher *** Nicolopolis, phoenix-like, has risen from its own ashes! Visit the mostly-new incarnation at: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn But nothing much works yet. ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:21:09 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. > Anyone else? I think I identify most with songs on John Henry like Sleeping In The Flowers, and Self Called Nowhere. Sleeping in the Flowers because of what I believe is the hopeless dreams of a relationship, and what he believes could happens... *sigh!* ...I really identify with Self Called Nowhere because there are times when I feel really lonely and as if I'm existing in a strange and sureal world, AND I JUST WANT TO PLAY MY ORGAN! *sorry*. -- "I'm sitting on the curb, of the empty parking lot, of the store where they let me play the organ," -They Might Be Giants, Self Called Nowhere Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 15:40:55 -0500 From: susan lyon Subject: Re: TMBG: MI At 12:02 PM 11/6/96 +0000, Heather Tinkler wrote: >> there isn't really a good way to say "person from " for most states >> new yorker works and californian, but michiganian? michiganer? hmmm... > >I could very possibly be wrong, but I was born there (my parents were >on vacation) and everyone calls me a Michigander, which sounds like a >type o bird.. but at least its not something like a blue footed >boobie. well, that's technically the "right" word, but it sure sounds weird. not that i mind being described with a word that sounds weird. rather appropriate really. i've always called me and my friends freaks or weirdos or whatever. i mean, if they like me they must be, right? and it's just not popular to be "normal" anymore, cos normal is boring, but then does that mean that if you're normal you're weird, because everyone wants to be weird but nobody wants to be normal? byebye, susan ````````````````````````````````````````` ` Susan Lyon ` don't blame ` ` 314 Hutchins Hall ` me. i voted ` ` Ann Arbor, MI 48109 ` for cthulhu. ` ` http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer ` ````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 96 19:49:59 UT From: "Mr_Badger " Subject: TMBG: Cheap Factory Showroom CDs in the UK Before anyone forks out on a copy of Factory Showroom in the UK costing 20 pounds (via the rip-off import shops) can I just say that I got Factory Showroom in the UK on Saturday for the grant sum of 12 pounds (plus postage) from a reliable record retailer who conveniently enough runs a mail order section - provided you can wait for 3 or 4 weeks for him to receive his order from the USA. If any UK TMBG fans are interested on how to save themselves eight pounds, let me know and I'll pass on the details of the shops address, phone number etc. Martin. Mr_Badger@msn.com P.S. They can also do similar details on "Apollo 18" with fingertips on shuffle and "Misc. T" (aka. Don't Lets Start) and the Monopuff album if anyone is having problems. Just drop me a private mailing and I'll explain! ------------------------------ From: GIBSONRD@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 15:55:13 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Cincy! Hey everybody! This is my first post on the list, though I've been on for a month or so, but it is filled with joy and happiness. I'm going to the Cincinnatti show on the 6th of December and I was wondering if anyone else will be going too. Please mail me if you are going or want to meet up ok? Rachel ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: MI From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 16:11:57 EST On Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:02:21 +0000 Heather Tinkler writes: >> there isn't really a good way to say "person from " for most >states >> new yorker works and californian, but michiganian? michiganer? >hmmm... >' >I could very possibly be wrong, but I was born there (my parents were >on vacation) and everyone calls me a Michigander, which sounds like a >type o bird.. but at least its not something like a blue footed >boobie. Mish-i-gane-ee-an (Michiganian) *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: 06 Nov 96 16:19:34 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Now That I have everything I'm back I'm Back I'm Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My comp is fixed and I got my hello shirt and a bunch o CDs in the mail today and Boy o Boy am I pumped!!!!!! I have nothing to add aexcept all 4 vcrs in my house are set to tape conan tonite (compulsive???? nahhhhhh) Anyway, I have been desperatley trying to get to Utopia Parkway, but with limited succes. Is the address: blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:8000 I think it is but it seems not to be working. Any help would be grand. ------------------------------ Date: 06 Nov 96 16:35:42 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Quickie Oh yeah... Someone mentioned self called nowhere in this sad song thingee. That reminded me, If you play that song, right after they say "Self called, nowhere!" Does anyone else feel that you could insert the riff from Soundgarden's "Pretty noose" right there? Kinda weird thougt, but I expect it to be there Every time I listen to it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:43:41 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: TMBG: Cleveland and the wonderful land of oz well i got my tickets to cleveland today so i will definitely be there. if someone on the list is familiar with the agora would you possibly be able to pick a point where listies could meet up, cause i definitely would like to meet some of you. i messed up at the e-town show and didn't get to meet anyone and i'm kinda p.o.'d cause it wasn't my fault. but i'll hopefully see some of you there. on the topic of the wizard of oz. i don't think it's that scary. but a friend of mine told me if you start Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon at the third time the lion roars when they first meet him, it coincides with the movie. i don't know how, or if it's true. but if it works that would be kinda neat. later. !?!@#$@#%%#$$^%@@^%$%^^^^$%&&&^%@@%$@#$%%@#$^^%$$$^^^^^$@$^#%&^%&@@$%^@%&$%&& Life is like a roller coaster. It has it's ups and downs, it's curves and it's loops. But every time you come up to the gate, it goes right through. It may slow down, but it never lets you get off. mci@tmbg.org a mind is a terrible thing. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 13:44:18 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: TMBG: Dial-A-Song during the day Shame shame on us. In the evening, around 6 - 7 p.m. and on I'm able to get through to Dial-A-Song with no problem and no busy signal, but when I call from work (look over both shoulders to see if the boss is comming) it's allways jammed, and impossible to get through to. How many of us call Dial-A-Song from work because it is just and "every day phone call to Brooklyn"? -- "I'm sitting on the curb, of the empty parking lot, of the store where they let me play the organ," -They Might Be Giants, Self Called Nowhere Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 18:53:16 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: TMBG: TMBG Comics > You know, I was thinking. (Run away, run away!). You all know how the > Grateful Dead have their own little comics series (not that I have one or > anything, I just know of them...)? Would it just not be the coolest > thing ever to have a comics series on They? I think it would. Actually, it's something I've long considered. I'm working on a couple of comic books right now, and the TMBG idea certainly seems like one worth trying. (The only problem is finding time between work and school to actually sit down and draw). Anyway, if there are other art student types out there, maybe a bunch of us could put a few pieces together and make up some kind of anthology. There are so many options... would John and John appear as characters, or would the stories be inspired by the songs, or both...? -Cuper P.S. I feel so inspired, I think I'm going to start tonight. If anyone is truly interested, I think they should respond. This would be very nice to print up. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 05:08:44 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: CDs CATHERINE DAY SPAIN wrote: > > Hey guys! Just thought that I might fill everybody in on something stupid > that I found today. I was just looking at all of the TMBG LPs, trying to > figure out which one to listen to, and I noticed that FS is the only LP to > have the TMBG name *not* in capital letters. Most of the EPs (well, the ones > that I have)--except for I(nc) are in lower-case letters. I just thought that > this was a stupid comment that many people don't care about, but I haven't > posted in awhile, so I thought that I would share that info with everybody. > Your welcome! :) > tucker > > P.S. I ended up listening to the pink album.I kind of think of FS as an EP, not that anyone cares. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:20:42 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. > describe yourself? I guess mine would be No One Knows My Plan. It kind of > reminds me of someone's quote ( The dumber someone thinks you are the, the > more surprised they will be when you kill them) it went something like that, I have to agree with you on this one, although I had previously thought that the song was about a guy who was completely insane and locked up and hallucinating. Not that that has anything to do with me directly ;) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they will be when you kill them. P.S. That quote? :) ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: They Comix Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 18:22:29 -0600 >LOL! I have already beat you to it! Well, just drawing them anyway. I've had >a few in my notebook for the past month or 2. Let's see. For the songs, >there's John and John in: "The Guitar" and "Rabid Child". Then there's an >"Old Johns" which I drew before I was aware of the 2040 shirt; and there's >one with Linnell and his new lawnmower (remember that short-lived thread? >Linnell buys a new lawnmower to hunt down squirrels?). We should put together >a book of some sort. :) > >Ooh now. I just realized something the other night. Whirlpool-- they each >sing half the song. First half = Flans, second = Linnell. Hmm. > >>>Who's that Spartan singing TMBG? It's me! It's me!<< >ROTFLMAO! :D > >~sarah >http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html >"She thinks she's hot snot on a silver platter, but she's really a cold >booger on a paper plate." - Mike, MST3K > Yeah, i remember that linnell lawnmower/squirrel thread.... now why would you need a lawnmower living in an apartment, and in ny i dont think squirrels are everywhere. All the better reason to do it! My original intention was - I wanna see these comics! Can you scan them or anthing? I always wanted to see the few they comics i heard people taling about (or was it just you). I am awaiting conen obrien tonight! my vcr is set and i'm gonna freak wondering if the time/channel is right. Also dont forget tommorow - sonicnet chat! -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:46:46 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Ohio Shows, Sad Songs, etc. From Green Jello: >so who all is going to the ohio shows... me me me! Ok, I'd love to meet everyone that will be going, so if you want to, email me and I'll make a list of everyone so we all don't have to keep saying "who's going to the Ohio shows?" :) From Sarah (KdsInThHll or whatever) >Well I was listening to "Narrow your eyes" thinking how true it is..like >the "you don't want to understand.." part. The first time I heard it, it >reminded me of a particular summer friendship.. I have always likes this song, but it has always made me think that it would have been an excellent single from A18. It was the perfect follow-up for Birdhouse, and I wonder if They would be a bit more popular if they'd released it. Now, I don't want to start a big "mainstream vs. we like it how it is now" thread again, it's just a thought that I have. Oh and thanks to everyone who emailed me about Reprehensible, I'll email you back personally about it. :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -- George Carlin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:48:47 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Ana Ng = Sad Song? Does anyone think that Ana Ng could be sad in a way? I do. I see it as this guy who's regretting never getting to meet someone that he thinks he loved, and to add onto it, he is getting old and will never have the chance of meeting her. "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked inthe glow of each other's majestic presence." Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 06:08:24 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: i have a john henry double disk CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu wrote: > > i found it at a local music vendor. says it is a an australian tour release....second disc has 17 minutes of live stuff on it. i have no idea where you could g > samI was at a little unpopular jazz/popular (popular in the loosest sense, they carry a lot of Hello Recorders!) and they looked up there computer which had a disc listed for $20 or $30 and the letters that showed were "JO" the lady said it was probably a double. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 20:22:25 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT >I have finally learned the Ana Ng dance (such as it is!)...after watching >the video comp (which I rented...what a loser I am...), I don't feel so >bad that I'm such a bad dancer, watching the Johns jump around and >stomp...I was like, wow, that's how I dance! I also like the Don't Let's >Start face-grabbing dance, which is similar to the Ana Ng moves and >grooves... There are three TMBG dances from Their videos: the Don't Let's Start face-grabbing dance; the strange Ana Ng dance, and the even stranger Birdhouse dance. My questions: first, has anyone figured out the steps to all these dances? And second, has anyone written them down so that those like me could do them? :) >Narrow Your Eyes: One of the saddest, most overlooked TMBG songs ever. I have always loved this song -- yet almost everyone else seems to dislike it. The lyrics are really good, and they convey the emotion so well...my favorite line: "They say love is blind...I don't think you're blind." The line "So let's toast the sad cold fact/our love's never coming back/and we'll race to the bottom of a glass..." is really good too. >Gratuitous non- TMBG content: I got that XTC album. It's OK, and well >worth the price. Bye. Aaaah...it's "ok"? I suggest you hunt out a copy of Nonsvch (which also costs $5.99 new) and buy that -- you'll be glad you did. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 20:32:47 -0500 (EST) From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: Puppet Head interp (was: Sad Songs) >Puppet Head a love song? Hmm... guess I never thought of it that way. I >always liked the interp that said that putting your hand inside the puppet >head was taking responsibility for your own life. Both you and the person who said it was a love song are sort of= right (at least in my book), but it's more 3-dimensional than that. For me,= it's all about memories, and meeting up with someone who evokes memories= that you are, perhaps, not comfortable with, and moving on. As a senior in= high school, I find that it always brings me back to a sort of ten-year= reunion type thing. As you go back to your old school (or any place where= you used to live but have left), you see all the places and things you used= to know and romanticize them. You stay there for awhile with the others= (take a bath on the beaten path) and the memories come pounding at the= door, and you're nostalgic and sad for the love you had back then. You want= some luh-luh-luhvin' arms, and you fall (from grace) back into the habit of= wanting somebody you know you can't have/shouldn't have. But you're not= close to the person anymore and when you see them, all you can say is= stupid things like "See you in church" and "The check's in the= mail"--you're putting on a show of not remembering and caring, putting your= hand in the puppet head. Sometimes you wish you could bust it in and stop= all the fakeness, but it's a better thing that you don't because you'd just= end up crying. So you just say bye and remember when it was simpler--"see= you after school". Urgh, this was very long--thanks for sticking with it.= :} -Kilroy Hats off to the use of hats! ------------------------------ Date: 06 Nov 96 20:42:10 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT --- Josh wrote: There are three TMBG dances from Their videos: the Don't Let's Start face-grabbing dance; the strange Ana Ng dance, and the even stranger Birdhouse dance. My questions: first, has anyone figured out the steps to all these dances? And second, has anyone written them down so that those like me could do them? :) --- end of quoted material --- Ana ng is simple: 1. Put arms in circle 2. stomp right foot 8 times 3. extend right arm 4. bow twice 5. jump 6 bow twice 7. repeat ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 20:44:57 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: TMBG song that best describes me... Absolutely Bill's Mood.... need I say more? S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 18:56:36 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > I'M not dave simpson in any way, shape or form, but that's beside the point. We have a point? > I've got a match is a very sad song I think but I'm told it means quite a lot to me...? > and I think I understand, it seems to be talking about hopelessness but in a > contented kind of way. > I also think 'It's not my birthday' is a sad song too. > One of the many things I like about THEM is that they write songs that are really > quite sad (End of the tour, Birthday, don't let's start, piece of dirt) and disguise > them as quite happy songs, which I think is quite clever. I guess it means you don't > have to get melancholy unless you really want to. > I also think that Fingertips is quite sad in the same way because when you first > listen to it, it sounds almost daft. I don't think Fingertips is that sad, but I do agree that the others are. I'm surprised that They came out with why must I be sad, since it's so sad in both lyrics AND music, but, hey, who am I to argue with Them? Besides, some of my favorite songs are the sad ones (Birthday, end of tour, don't let's start, ball and chain, etc.) Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:03:44 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs > i know it has to be about suicide, ahh, i dont feel like writing anymore > sad/funny songs I love she's an angel. It just fits perfectly in that slightly depressing niche after school. But I thought Cowtown was about manatees, not suicide.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:07:22 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders > Wait a minute, Larry Sanders *is* on HBO, unless they changed? Well it > don't matter, I'll tape off of HBO or whatever channel it comes on. > But alas I won't be able to see it that night as I'll be out seeing > Robyn Hitchcock!!! whoo hoo Speaking of Them on tv: They're supposed to be on Conan tonight, right? Well I checked my tv listings, and Conan isn't even listed! Does anyone know when he's on? Preferably, I'd like a response before it actually starts, but.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: re: Sad Songs Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:59:27 +1100 Interesting comments about those tunes for the blues - but in reality I can't imagine anyone getting truly upset from a They song. I mean, They could write a tune about poverty and famine, and we'd still be whistling it at we walked down the street with a smile on my face :D! If you REALLY want to get depressed, try Morissey (I disagree that it sounds like him in the 'Darkened Corridors' part of Fingertips), Nick Cave (usually makes you sing along though), or even some Split Enz songs if you're in the right mood!! Though they probably aren't really depressing as all these singers are still alive and kicking. Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic "Many men have tried" "They tried and failed?" "They tried and died!!" ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 21:14:07 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Comix In a message dated 96-11-06 12:19:41 EST, you write: << LOL! I have already beat you to it! Well, just drawing them anyway. I've had a few in my notebook for the past month or 2. Let's see. For the songs, there's John and John in: "The Guitar" and "Rabid Child". Then there's an "Old Johns" which I drew before I was aware of the 2040 shirt; and there's one with Linnell and his new lawnmower (remember that short-lived thread? Linnell buys a new lawnmower to hunt down squirrels?). We should put together a book of some sort. :) >> hey,that reminds me. i have drawn many songs and stuff. i drew a filthy scarecrow, with john in front of it,john and his broom,guitars,accordians,hmm,and a lot more i dont remember ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Make that one sad song Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:07:15 +1100 Ooops. I just realised that They had one song bordering on depression. It is, of course, "I'll sink Manhattan". There are other dark-to-the-point-of-morose lyrics, but they are too cleverly hidden behind beautiful pop to ever be labelled 'sad'. 10000ft Septic "Many men have tried" "They tried and failed?" "They tried and died!!" ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 21:23:14 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT In a message dated 96-11-06 20:25:40 EST, you write: << There are three TMBG dances from Their videos: the Don't Let's Start face-grabbing dance; the strange Ana Ng dance, and the even stranger Birdhouse dance. My questions: first, has anyone figured out the steps to all these dances? And second, has anyone written them down so that those like me could do them? :) >> the steps to these dances--- 1. be really bored,or just not busy at the time. hell,be busy. 2.be REALLY energetic 3.be in a public place (school,bus, bookstore bathroom,etc) 4.START DANCIN! SING! FLOP AROUND! HOP! HOP! HOP! 5.wait for everyone to ask "what the hell is wrong with you?" thank you kindly ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 21:22:51 -0500 (EST) I am sorry about posting this, but on the off-the-subject subject, ... Oh, never mind, I won't say it. :) SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 21:26:56 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: My last post Just to qualify, I was not making fun, or flaming anybody, incase that is how it was taken, It just kind of popped in my mind about how all these (many of mine included) "I am sorry to post this" messages would look like if people would actually act like some had sugested (again not a flame, just digging myself a deep little useless hole, in which I will burry myself :) Anyway, I sent it, then wanted to make sure it didnt get misinterped. SJL ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 21:31:08 EST On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:46:09 -0500 (EST) CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU writes: >A little story from yhe other day... I have a similar story, though not as long. In Physics AP class today, we were discussing orbits and stuff, and somehow got on the subject of Einstein's equations. Of course, I shouted out, "Einstein was wrong!" Then, later, the teacher concluded a sentence with the words, "Copernicus was wrong." I think it's time we call the men of science. fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd random TMBG quote: "Every seashell has a story to tell if you're listening, But underneath every shell there's a story as well if you've heard enough of the sea." ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Sad songs, etc. From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 21:31:08 EST >I've been listening to No One Knows My Plan a lot lately and it's >really becoming one of my favorite They songs. Anyone else like this >one a lot? I particularly like the line "But they're like the people >chained up in the cave in the allegory of the people in the cave by >the Greek guy". I actually got my Humanities teacher to let me play NOKMP in class because of that line. We had been talking about that allegory, and my friend Molly brought up that line -- this was before I bought that album. Neither of us could remember the song it came from until later, and when I got the CD, I brought it in. It was cool. That song is one of my many favorites, too. fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd random TMBG quote: "Hitting every pocket on my shirt, pants, and overcoat. I'm patting them again, but I don't know where I put my notes. Clearing my throat and gripping the lectern I smile and face my audience clearing his throat and smiling with his hands on the bathroom sink." ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 21:31:08 EST On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 07:11:27 -0500 cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) writes: > Since we are on the subject of sad songs, why not songs that >describe yourself? I guess mine would be No One Knows My Plan. It Here's a partial list: No one knows my plan -- nobody does, really. She's An Angel -- because she is Santa's Beard -- I saw her wearing his beard! Whistling in the dark -- I often am NYC -- because we met in the springtime at a rock-and-roll show Spiral(l)ing shape -- I try to tell them "stop, stop, stop," but they're consumed in the spiral Particle Man -- I'm doing the things a particle can Where Your Eyes Don't Go and My Evil Twin -- there's someone following me, a scarecrow or a twin The World's Address -- I've been telling them Einstein and Copernicus were wrong They'll Need A Crane -- sometimes, I do Rabid Child -- I stay at home and talk on IRC sometimes Alienation's for the rich -- it is. Lucky Ball and Chain -- last year; she was about five feet tall She's Actual Size -- there's a long story behind this, but I quoted it to my friend Megan when she said my girlfriend smothers me (she doesn't, she's actual size) See The Constellation -- I can see the constellation If I Wasn't Shy -- I really would burn all the time clock cards, etc. Sleeping In The Flowers -- gotta love those copy shop clerks AKA Driver -- I yell "Hey, Nyquil Driver" often when I'm driving I should be allowed to think -- Allen Ginsberg was the man. I should be allowed. Spy -- sometimes you have to, if she's wearing Santa's beard Destination Moon -- I often get "cards with cartoon nurses," but there's nothing wrong with me Till My Head Falls Off -- no, I'm not done talking yet! How Can I Sing Like A Girl? -- I want to raise my freak flag Pet Name -- (choosing the happy interp. of the song) figure it out yourself There's more, but I forget them. TMBG can make a soundtrack to my life. fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd random TMBG quote: "and when I lean my head against the frosted shower stall, I see stuff through the glass that I don't recognize at all" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 22:49:05 -0500 From: Brian Evans Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus OH Show OK...I found out today that the tickets don't go on sale for the Columbus show until Friday. No wonder I couldn't get them! :) I know I'm gonna be there first thing to pick mine up. Brian >At 01:45 AM 11/6/96 -0500, you wrote: >>Has anyone actually gotten tickets to the Columbus show? I've asked >>everywhere, Ticketmaster, and some local ticket places, but noone seems to >>know anything about TMBG coming to Columbus at all. They all look at me >>like I'm crazy when I tell them they're gonna be here on the 3rd. >> >>Brian >> > >tell me if you find out how to get tickets. I've been looking too! >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 >"Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 21:57:11 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: oh how we could harmonize Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen wrote: > > Has anyone noticed that it doesn't seem as if John and John sing *together* > much on Factory Showroom? On many songs, it sounds as if each sings harmony > for himself. But I'm not going to try to name specific songs because I'd > probably be wrong! :) > > So I'll leave it to someone with keen hearing to confirm or refute. What do > you think? > > V. > > -------------------- > Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen > Editor > Health Sciences Public Affairs > UW-Madison I've noticed that on a lot of Their stuff, not just FS. I always thought that was one of the cool things about Them. -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 22:05:05 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: CANCEL ALL FURTHER MESSAGES IMMEDIATLY. MCFLIE NOT Alfred N Tinsley wrote: > > On Mon, 4 Nov 96 08:53:56 UT "Spencer Hale" writes: > >THE INTERESTED PARTIE HAS MOVED AND THERE ARE NONE HERE AT ALL > >INTERESTED IN > >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. PLEASE CANCEL. NOW. > >IT ONLY GETS DELETED. > > > >THANKS. > > > >- --------- > >Sent: mon. nov. 3, 1:48 pm. > >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > >Subject: cancel all further tmbg-list Digest PLEASE. > >cc: Spencer McFlie > > > Everybody E-mail him and fill up his computer with garbage > > "Everything is a dollar"-the lady at the dollar store maybe if we'd bother to check the unsubscribe procedure on www.tmbg.org.... -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 22:19:04 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Elections In my Economics class, we held a mock election, and as my little protest I wrote in for Flansburgh-Linnell '96. Dole won anyhow . Wouldn't that be cool if they were prez & vice prez, though? What would it be like (silly hats for all? Or something boring like world peace?) -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 22:39:30 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: conan Hi- If someone already wrote this, ignore this little informational message. Conan is on at 11:30 tonight. But I live in Wisconsin, so the time may be different in different states. I am so excited! -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 01:45:50 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: TMBG: Conan I want a TMBG necklace like Theirs!!! They rocked :)=20 "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind", AmY =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7* Amy@tmbg.org Seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 >>>>>seta on IRC<<<<<< =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=20 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 01:42:26 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: TMBG: Them on Conan Just watched them on COnan! I figured they would play S-E-X-X-Y but it wouuld have been cool if They played something else. Oh well, it made my day! I taped the show so anyone who missed it can write me about getting a copy. Also i thought that the necklaces that the whole band was wearing were really cool. If you missed them it was the T | M---B | G logo like it appears inside FS. Wish I could get one. I'd wear it everywhere. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 01:53:17 -0500 (EST) From: Mike Rose with a vengeance Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Conan Well, I've just finished watching TMBG perform SEXXY on Conan (very good, though I had hoped they might do Metal Detector, or at least be interviewed by Conan as like last time). The whole thing was pretty cool, especially the matching suits and mirror ball. However what I really want to know is how can I get one of those supercool TMBG necklaces that they were wearing?! So beautiful. Happy trails to Mrklaw (Alex), my friend who is off to Boston and then NY to attend the Roseland show. Best wishes to all who will be there. I won't.:( MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-305 ******************************