Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-306 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 306 Friday, 8 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written TMBG: Roseland...hope to see you there TMBG: TMBG, the Roselands, and me! Re: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written TMBG: NOOOOO!!!! TMBG: TMBG necklaces on Conan RE: TMBG: Conan TMBG: cancel all further messages please!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written TMBG: Past and Future Shows TMBG: conan Re: TMBG: TMBG Comics TMBG: TMBG on Conan (none) TMBG: tower records nyc TMBG: They on Conan TMBG: TMBG on Conan TMBG: they comics TMBG: Songs that describe me? Oh, geez. TMBG: on the Conan show... TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y TMBG: ha ha Re: TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: Northern CA shows Re: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written TMBG: Statue interp (long) Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. TMBG: several things TMBG: cub... TMBG: Missed Conan! DAMN! TMBG: Stanley Kubrick (off topic) TMBG: Budding young TMBG artists... Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. TMBG: Conan O' Brien Show (My thoughts, if you care) TMBG: I can Hear you/banging Re: TMBG: Statue interp (long) Re: TMBG: TMBG necklaces on Conan TMBG: Those necklaces! Re: TMBG: several things TMBG: Songs Describing Me TMBG: December Shows? Philly? TMBG: Partial transcript from radio appearance Re: TMBG: James K. Polk TMBG: Song That Describes Self Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. Re: TMBG: Statue interp (long) TMBG: The sonicnet tmbg chat! Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. Re: TMBG: The sonicnet tmbg chat! TMBG: John Linnel on AOL TMBG: SPIN/Sonicnet TMBG: The quote Re: TMBG: John Linnel on AOL TMBG: Conan necklaces TMBG: Re: Them on Conan TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-274 TMBG: Milwaukee TMBG: SonicNet Log Re: TMBG: TMBG Comics TMBG: TMBG Comics Manifesto TMBG: Comic Book Re: TMBG: Comic Book Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 23:15:03 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written And some people said They didn't have enough angst. Maybe not angst per se, but... The sad song discussion is very interesting to me, particularly because I am always affected by sad stories. And, yet, I never really listen to TMBG to hear the sad stories, or to get in the sad mood. Only one of Their songs really gets me down, and that's The End Of The Tour. So I find myself scratching my head as I read everyone's description of his/her favorite sad song. In my opinion, I don't think They write sad songs just to be sad. It seems to me that They just have an utter fascination with the concept of going "downhill." A lot of their songs can be taken as sad as a consequence. I could never be saddened by the stories, however; I think I was prepped by Charles Schulz, when he said there was nothing funny about winning, and that's why Charlie Brown always fails. And so They Might Be Giants' many lyrics about failure tends to make me smile sympathetically rather than become depressed. It's always something to relate to. And it's always put in a way in which I can really appreciate it. Pop music is known for its optimistic "I love you" messages. Even rap and current rock can come in with its lust and let's-get-it-on attitude. And if they try to get into angst or depression, it's usually a song with a strong in-your-face message, possibly involving drugs, rape, suicide, and other big, in-your-face issues. But I won't get those things with Them. TMBG gives me some everyday people things that we all can relate to. Stuff that can bug you on certain days or stuff that can stick to you for long periods of time. The crush on the Xerox shop girl... the relationships that turn spiteful... the marriages that fall apart... the job that we wish could escape from... the fear of becoming insane or senile with age... ridiculous fads we waste our time with... having your independence limited by a stronger force and feeling small... the struggle of the little guy... drinking problems... and, of course, death in all its wonder. I appreciate that They constantly write about these little failures; these smaller and more personal concerns make up a marvelous collage of the pitfalls in life... and much of it put to happy, upbeat music. Which makes it all the more subtle. That's just plain good writing, in my opinion. It's not just the subject, it's the way They put it. "We'll toast the sad cold fact our love's never coming back, and we'll race to the bottom of the glass." "She threw away her baby doll, I held on to my pride... Confidentially, she never called me baby doll." "Call off the wedding band, nobody wants to hear that song again. Play that again." "You think, 'That's what you think. That's what they all say,' before I blow you away!" "Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work. And after many glasses of work..." "Don't want to be know as the freak who just comes around to catch her eye." "And I don't like that fat guy around." "I should be allowed to glue my poster." "Someday mother will die and I'll get the money. Mom leans down and says, 'My sentiments exactly, you son-of-a-bitch.'" "I've got a message so before I get through, I'll find your answering machine and I'll sink it first." They just put their situations so well with the words They choose. Sad, and a bit humorous too. I love it. And I will sympathetically smile. Sorry, too long, gotta go. ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 02:28:28 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Roseland...hope to see you there Hi all Well, this will probably be my last chance to post before I leave for Boston tomorrow, so I thought I'd drop a line to say I will be attending the Roseland show in NYC on Friday! I'm taking a bus from Boston, and will be arriving at the Manhattan Port Authority Bus Terminal at around 5PM. There, I will hopefully be greeted by a group of list and non-list people. If you are going to be at the show, I can only hope to meet you. I will be the guy wearing the DAS shirt with the tree and the phone smoking a cigarette on the front. I will also be the guy who looks not very much unlike me, so if you see someone matching this description, please do not hesitate to step forward and introduce yourself! Hope to see you there! Alex ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 02:54:59 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: TMBG, the Roselands, and me! Hi TMBGer's! This is cortney, how are ya! I am getting super-excited for this Friday's show at the Roselands, I can't wait! However, I *am* traveling into NYC alone, so I would be grateful for a friendly face or two from the list! (I know that Matt, Nola, Julie, Alex, Frank, etc. will all be there, but not till later! I plan on arriving *early* afternoon!) So, if anyone spots a girl getting in line extremely early, for lack of anything better to do, please don't hesitate to come and introduce yourselves! I would love to meet more people from the list! Safe travels to all who will be attending the show! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 04:02:10 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written Well, I thought I'd put in my 43 cents. I don't really ever think of any of Their songs as sad songs. I guess some of them are sad but none of them ever make me feel that way. Well, the only one that ever sounds sad to me is Dead. Only, though, when I'm already feeling down. That's really mostly why Dead is my favorite They song (and in fact my favorite song by anybody). It's perfect to listen to no matter what kind of mood I'm in or what I'm doing. And I must say, 99% of the time it makes me really happy, even when I'm sad. I think of it as a commentary on how absurd life is and why it should not be taken so seriously. Anyway, that's my little plug for Dead. Although most TMBG fans I know like it, very few say it's their favorite. So, back to the sad song subject. I don't think, never in a billion years, that Ana Ng is a sad song. I don't think the narrator in the song is feeling sad. I don't really have any idea on what he could be feeling, but I really don't think he's sad. Beside, the music is so upbeat, what's the difference? Take it easy, Wubba P.S. Don't be sad! 8-] *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: NOOOOO!!!! Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 05:19:23 -0600 Well, i woke up this morning expecting to have a tape with conan on it. BUT I DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!! I first said to record channel 5, but then changed it to 10, and it didn't change!!! NOW I HAVE A TAPE WITH 1 HOUR OF NEWS! I already punched myself so much my hand hurts....... Hmmm...... Maybe russ has enough stuff now to do a bootleg vol. 2? then i could see it...... yeah..... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 08:29:50 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG necklaces on Conan Hello. One of my friends, who was at the Conan taping, said that the necklaces they were wearing were just the patch/logo from the new hats on a chain. Not exactly the most sturdy piece of jewelry, but definitely servicable for a nice Conan appearance. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 13:27:28 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: TMBG: Conan Love the suits especially. Hey, did they do anything after they played SEXXY, my VCR stopped in the commercial right afterward. and I never knew the Max Weinberg 7 taught TMBG everything they knew! I always thought that drummer guy (max?) was a little to happy. ASB ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org on behalf of .-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,. Sent: Thursday, November 07, 1996 1:45 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Conan I want a TMBG necklace like Theirs!!! They rocked :)=20 "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind", AmY =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7* Amy@tmbg.org Seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 >>>>>seta on IRC<<<<<< =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=20 ------------------------------ From: johanna.staral@tpdome.com Subject: TMBG: cancel all further messages please!!!!!! Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 07:37:00 EST Organization: The Pleasure Dome Please tell me how to cancel! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 08:31:13 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written > So, back to the sad song subject. I don't think, never in a billion years, > that Ana Ng is a sad song. I don't think the narrator in the song is > feeling sad. I don't really have any idea on what he could be feeling, but > I really don't think he's sad. Beside, the music is so upbeat, what's the > difference? > You can't really judge the sadness of ANY They song just by the tempo of it. We've been talking (well, posting--I like to delude myself into thinking we're all sitting in some coffee shop or bar somewhere talking about all this) about "You'll Miss Me", "They'll Need a Crane", "Narrow Your Eyes", and all sorts of other songs that are upbeat. It's kind of like the Smiths/Morrissey sometimes: you sit there and bounce around to the music, then suddenly you realize that you're depressed... Just my $3.49. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful Everybody dies frustrated inside and that is beautiful." --TMBG, "Don't Let Start" ------------------------------ From: Jeremiade@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 09:49:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Past and Future Shows > From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) >> Time Marches On (a new (?) tune they've been doing lately; >> this may not be the actual title, however) > Could this be _Older_? Indeed it was! How could I be so forgetful? Thanks, Matt. Again, anyone care to meet up before the Roseland gig? Plently of fine bars in the area to quaff a few. Of course, this invite is to those of you 21 and over. Don't want to corrupt the young--they'll have their own chance one day. (As I get this in digest form, you might wanna mail me personally if you want to get together.) Jere ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: conan Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 09:53:29 -0500 (EST) > Hi- > If someone already wrote this, ignore this little informational message. > Conan is on at 11:30 tonight. But I live in Wisconsin, > so the time may be different in different states. > I am so excited! Conan came on at 1:30am here in Maryland so i taped it of course (can't stay up that late!). I watched it this morning, it was fantastic, they did SEXXY and they had a dsco ball and a full string and horn section. They also dressed up in this slick suits and had TMBG pendants ala the CD sleeve. It was great! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 07:03:41 -0800 (PST) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Comics i'm in.. i cannot draw but, i am a writer and tell truth i think a comic of john'n'john in giants land [hehe] would be fun.. just an idea.! |---------------------------| | grefin@cyberhighway.net | |---------------------------| But I'm thinking of a wooden chair In the room at the top of a stair And I'm looking down the stairwell At the vanishing dot On the map of the spot Let me take you there The dotted line Surrounding the mind Of a self called nowhere -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 08:31:52 MST Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Conan Well, I got up at midnight last night to make sure the VCR would tape TMBG properly. Is this the band they're touring with? I counted 4 horn players, 3 string players, the extra guitar guy, as well as John, John, the drummer (Brian) and the bass player. Who was that on bass? It wasn't Graham Maby, and it didn't look like Tony. Pretty soon I'll have enough stuff for a Bootleg Video, Vol. 2! I was listening to FS this morning on the way to work, and thinking about Pet Name. I alamost skipped it, then listened to it and realized that it's actually a song about falling in love. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: Hanlon Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 15:15:43 GMT If any one has anything decent to write about then please write but stop sending a load of shite. ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 10:37:53 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: tower records nyc i am going to tower records today at 1pm to see THEM for FREE. i will defenitely be recording so anyone interested in getting a copy let me know. -j ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 96 11:00:12 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: They on Conan Hellllp! we didn't get conan last night due to some stupid station problem and i missed it!!! did anyone tape it? will it be on the next video compilation? if so, how long is that away? ack! i'm freaking out!! pleez email me with help if you can! :D peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Conan Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:04:26 -0500 (EST) > Is this the band they're touring with? > > I counted 4 horn players, 3 string players, the extra guitar guy, > as well as John, John, the drummer (Brian) and the bass player. > Who was that on bass? It wasn't Graham Maby, and it didn't look > like Tony. > That was indeed Graham Maby on bass, he has that unmistakable hair. Maybe because they were all dressed up in suits you thought it might have been someone else? Well, John & John, Graham, Brian, and Eric as well as Dan Levine on trombone and Jim O'conner on trumpet are really everyone who has been in the band as of the past few months. The extra horn players and the string players were there as a publicity thing to do on Network tv,I'm sure. There's no way they could drag string players along and it'd probably cost to much to have 4 horn players when they're not even really necessary (although cool!). Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:12:20 -0500 Subject: TMBG: they comics okay, there are obviously a bunch of us who are interested in this.. is there anyone here with easy access to a copier who'd be willing to put it together? :l I can't wait to see the final results! CONAN: Hmm.. didn't leave me *overly* impressed.. I could complain all day; but I won't. I must say.. I want one of those necklaces. Info club should get onto manufacturing those, boy. I had a gut feeling they'd do SEXXY, but prayed-to-John it would be something else. ::sigh:: Did Linnell's voice sound deeper, or is it just me? Maybe he's still recovering from his cold? :T ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:42:15 -0500 (EST) From: Nette the Wonder Hamster Subject: TMBG: Songs that describe me? Oh, geez. I'd have to say "Till My Head Falls Off" most reminds me of me. I'm always losing and forgetting things (an early senility at 19? you bet), just like the guy in the song is. That and Fingertips, because sometimes I feel as if I am just a compilation of ideas rather than a single coherent idea. Later Nette ____________________________________________________________________________ Memorable quotes from this week...... ____________________________________________________________________________ Remember - Elvis is dead, deal with it. - Chris or Maliki The buck has been passed more times than a nude hitchhiking John Popper. - Sean Ryan Draw the line dividing laugh and scream. - They Might Be Giants **don't forget to go to my web page..... http://www.tcnj.edu/~frost** ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 14:02:30 -0500 From: Kelly Michele Marks Subject: TMBG: on the Conan show... This is only mildly TMBG related... For anyone who caught the Conan show, I just wanted to say that I want one of those necklaces! I wonder if they'll be up for public consumption at a future date... OK-that was it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:34:11 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Anyone heard ANYTHING about the S~E~X~X~Y single? Is it coming out? When? Thanks, drg ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 15:19:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: ha ha I just requested Exquisite Dead Guy on the radio--- and they played it. Ah, I rule . ~sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:32:45 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: The Birdhouse dance + OAT On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > There are three TMBG dances from Their videos: the Don't Let's Start > face-grabbing dance; the strange Ana Ng dance, and the even stranger > Birdhouse dance. My questions: first, has anyone figured out the steps to > all these dances? And second, has anyone written them down so that those > like me could do them? :) > Actually, all of the dances are basically the same, or at least similar. They both incorporate the samek kind of moves...you know, the jumping up and down, side to side, the flinging out of hands, and other such things. The Birdhouse dance is not so easy...but I know part of it. I will have to watch it again to find out...I'll get back to you! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:12:52 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Hanlon wrote: > If any one has anything decent to write about then please write but stop >sending a load of shite. ^^^^^What's that in American? Just kidding! -Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:38:45 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Northern CA shows >Just went to the TMBG Web site and low and behold the tour dates were >only through October. I'm looking for the dates of the San Francisco show >and the Petaluma show. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks very >much! Waitaminute. _Petaluma_ show? *Nicole gets a greedy gleam in her eye at the thought of !2! They shows in Northern California* There's going to be a Petaluma show? Where? When? Can I have a ticket? The SF show is at the Warfield Theater (Market and... oh... 9th, I think) on Nov. 20, doors open at 7. Who's going to the SF show? Let's get a tally going. E-mail me privately. --nicole the wonder nerd who would looooove They comics, but has less artistic ability than you could shake a stick at. *** Nicolopolis, phoenix-like, has risen from its own ashes! Visit the mostly-new incarnation at: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn But nothing much works yet. ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:09:44 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad Songs, and the Way It's Written On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, William Tatalovich wrote: > > > You can't really judge the sadness of ANY They song just by the tempo of > it. We've been talking (well, posting--I like to delude myself into > thinking we're all sitting in some coffee shop or bar somewhere talking > about all this) about "You'll Miss Me", "They'll Need a Crane", "Narrow > Your Eyes", and all sorts of other songs that are upbeat. It's kind of > I wasn't judging the sadness of the song by the tempo. I had already explained that I didn't feel the words were sad. And I added that even if the words are sad, the music keeps _me_ from ever feeling that way when I listen to Ana Ng. Also, I kinda feel that just knowing that there is someone out there made for you is something to be happy about, even if you haven't ever met them. I think this song is more about connections between people than seperations. ...And that's my $666.69, ha ha! Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:37:11 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Statue interp (long) Hidey-ho, everyone Been listening to "The Statue Got Me High" recently, and mulling over someone's suggestion that it's about _2001: A Space Odyssey_, which is both the famous film by Stanley Kubrick and the slightly less famous (but waaaay better, IMHO) book by Arthur C. Clarke. Since it's a required text for one of my classes, I'm very familiar with the story. So here's my take on it: "The Statue Got Me High" sounds like it could be astronaut David Bowman's final message to Earth. But first, a bit of background. At the beginning of _2001_, aliens come to Earth some 3 million years ago and use a mysterious monolith to improve human intelligence. In the year 2001, the moon's colonists discover a large black monolith on the moon. When the sun's rays hit it, it emits a blast of electronic noise and then falls silent. Dave Bowman is sent to investigate. He finds another monolith on one of Jupiter's moons, Japetus, goes through it, and winds up on a distant sun, where he is protected by a mysterious intelligence. Dave goes to sleep and is transformed into the next phase of human evolution, the Star Child. Onto the song! "The statue got me high" The statue is, obviously, either (or all three) of the monoliths (the one in the Dawn of Man bit, the one on the moon, and the one on Japetus). And the statue did get Dave Bowman high--both high in the air (he's in space!) and high as in "a higher state of consciousness." "A monument of granite sent a beam into my eye" The monolith on the moon sends a beam of electronic signals into space. Later on, the scientists discover that the signals were aimed at Japetus. More specifically, the signals were aimed at a bizarre natural formation called the *Eye* of Japetus. "The statue made me die" The statue caused Dave Bowman to cease to exist. 'Nuff said. "It took my hand, it killed me, and it threw me to the sky." Dave is indeed thrown to the sky; he gets in the spaceship and heads into the sky, never to return. "The stone it called to me (and now I see the things the stone has shown to me)" The monolith in the Dawn of Man bit mesmerizes the man-apes and shows them pictures and stuff. "A rock that spoke a word (an animated mineral, it can be heard)" The blast of electronic signals was some kind of communication. The mineral (monolith) _was_ animated, in that it reacted to the light and produced an audible signal. "And though I once preferred a human being's company/ They pale before the monolith that towers over me" Self-explanatory, I should think. Also, the scientists studying the monolith on the moon become well-nigh obsessed with it. "The truth is where the sculptor's chisel chipped away the lie" 'Sculptor' here must refer to the benevolent aliens who help humanity develop from man-ape to human and then from human to Star Child. "The statue made me fry" After Dave Bowman goes through the monolith on Japetus, he winds up on a sun. That's right. ON a sun. "My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy" More of the same. Notice that Dave is saying he "used to be a guy". He's something more than human now; he's not a regular guy anymore. "And as the screaming fire engine siren filled the air/The evidence had vanished from my charred and smoking chair" I don't know about a "screaming fire engine siren" (perhaps a reference to a baby's scream?), but all the evidence of David Bowman's life did vanish. "And what they found was just a statue standing where the statue got me high." If anyone else were to repeat David Bowman's mission to Japetus, they would only find a monolith where Dave disappeared (got thrown into space, entered into a higher realm of consciousness, whatever). "And now it is your turn (your turn to hear the stone and then your turn to burn)" Dave is speaking to his successor, to whoever got the unenviable task of following in his footsteps and trying to figure out what happened to him. "The stone it calls to you (you can't refuse to do the things it tells you to)" An echo of the 'Dawn of Time' monolith, which mesmerized the man-apes and compelled them to do its bidding. The rest of the song sounds like Dave telling his successor, "What happened to me, will happen to you." Ok, guys, there it stands. Flame away. --nicole the wonder nerd who missed Conan last night. :( Only 14 days until I see Them live! *** Nicolopolis, phoenix-like, has risen from its own ashes! Visit the mostly-new incarnation at: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn But nothing much works yet. ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: 7 Nov 1996 17:28:51 -0000 From: "Phil Bickel" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. Wow, TMBG song that best describes me...I had no idea, so I called my best friend. Straight outta Ben's mouth: "Phil is a littel Actual Size and a little I've got a Match dilluted in a large vat of My Evil Twin, garnished with Ana Ng." I was just gonna say Purple Toupee..silly me. :) phil *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:59:04 -0500 (EST) From: frankh@awod.com (Brother JohnBejezus) Subject: TMBG: several things Comics: The Residents have poked their optical melons into several comics but I don't have any yet. If I get some (or if I get the comics ;) I'll tell ya Conan: I loved the necklaces too, and ya gots ta love Flansie's guitar. He must have found it while cleaning or sumpin since he's started using it again. My stoopid VCR cut off right after "one fingernail...." so I want to throw it out the window. Was Flans singing the high part? At first I thought he was the deep one but I watched it again and changed me mind. Sonicnet: Please, please, please, someone log this the IRC server is irc.sonicnet.com I have to work so I can't be there :( :( :( :( hmm I guess that's it for now Yo pal, Brother JohnBejezus *---------------------------------- Brother JohnBejezus - frankh@awod.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9677 Michael: ...and doing is half the battle. Me: I thought it was "knowing is half the battle" Michael: Well doing's the other half. *----------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 17:04:12 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: cub... hmmm... I saw cub play last night in Pittsburgh, and well... not knowing quite what to expect (having only heard one song by them ever), I was quite impressed. Their show had the energy of what I suspect TMBG shows had 8-10 years ago, and what Mono Puff shows have now... They did, of course, play New York City, announcing right before it "This is *not* a They Might Be Giants song." I'm really looking forward to seeing them when they're on tour with TMBG, and for those who miss that part of the tour, I strongly recommend that you see cub when they play near you... they are really cool. TMBG related stuff: watched Conan last night. didn't want to hear S-E-X-X-Y, but knew I would... bummer. At least they had the full string arrangement and those things around their necks. That was so amazingly gratuitous, but cool. I want one. I noticed something strange, though, during some parts of the song... Linnell just seemed to be banging on the keyboard, not playing any specific notes. What was he trying to do? I didn't notice any really odd, jarring sound. And while I was watching, a friend and I were discussing live versions of Factory Showroom songs... have they ever played The Bells are Ringing or I Can Hear You live? For that matter, have they ever played James K. Polk the way it's meant to be played? (i.e. with the accordion) ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Missed Conan! DAMN! Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 17:12:47 18000 The VCR was set up to tape the hour it was on. Unfortunately, it came on about 5 minutes late. So guess what? My tape goes like this: Conan: "It's always a pleasure to welcome these guys back, and here with a new song" -----------STATIC--------------- ARGH!!!!!! I can't believe I missed it by that <-> much!!!!!! Anyone tape it and feel like sending me a copy?!?!? -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 14:05:41 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: TMBG: Stanley Kubrick (off topic) I know this is off topic, but I remember seeing in someones bio that they thought Stanley Kubrick is go of film makers. I agree, but I was wondering if anyone knows where Full Metal Jacket was filmed (the 'nam part). In the credits it says, "Filmed on location" but never says where. BTW, for SF Bay area Kubrick fans the Capri theater in Concord is showing a midnight movie on Friday and Saturday, *Clockwork Orange*. That's it, sorry about the off topic... -- "I'm sitting on the curb, of the empty parking lot, of the store where they let me play the organ," -They Might Be Giants, Self Called Nowhere Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 23:12:42 +1100 (EST) From: Lincoln Damen Subject: TMBG: Budding young TMBG artists... Hello. I'm out searching for some top-quality home-made TMBG images... be it a photo montage, draw computer artwork, rendering 3D images or a mixture of all... I want to customise my windows and collect some great pics as the one that's with the WIN95 theme is crud except for the brilliant rendered 'FLOOD' symbol... Reply to me and/or attach them to an email for me please... Many thanks chaps and ladies +Linc ; ) "Ignorance is safety... but just don't think about it" "Hey... isn't that my CD?" "When you're a bird the whole world is your toilet" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 17:33 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. > > Since we are on the subject of sad songs, why not songs that >describe yourself? Hrm, well, it depends on what mood I'm in. When I'm depressed (I've mentioned this before) "Why Must I Be Sad" suits me perfectly because I don't really have a good reason for being sad, I just *am*. Another song that describes me is "Absolutely Bill's Mood." "My room is comfortably small with rubber lining the walls, and someone's always calling my name.." Oh yeah, and "If I Wasn't Shy" too. Actually, I can usually find something of myself in all of Their songs. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 17:43:31 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (Dan Studnicky) Subject: TMBG: Conan O' Brien Show (My thoughts, if you care) Conan O' Brien last night was a very good show. I really liked that thing at the beginnig with Bob Dole and Clinton (What are you doing? Peeing in my pants.)(Look at me everybody, I'm William H. Taft) *snicker* (D-d-d-OLE!) Anyway, I agree with everybody, the TMBG necklaces are very cool. I hope they offer it as an info club item. We all knew that they were going to play S-E-X-X-Y. This was actually the closest I've gotten to a live performance of TMBG. I hope they come to my area soon, on a friday or saturday. Well, time to roll up my sleaves, and get to work. Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: I can Hear you/banging Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 17:45:34 -0500 (EST) First off, the keyboard banging. Linnell has always banged on the keyboard like that. I always thought that very funny because he looks like some big conductor moving his arms in exagerated motions, pounding away at the keys. I think he does this for effect and I kinda like it. maybe it's just his weird style of playing? Also, yes they have played I Can Hear You live, I saw it at the Edison Museum 8-) I can't see them playing that much if at all...it doesn't generally go well with a concert setting with the full band. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 17:52:58 -0500 (EST) From: MIKe Rose with a vengeance Subject: Re: TMBG: Statue interp (long) On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Hidey-ho, everyone > > Been listening to "The Statue Got Me High" recently, and mulling over > someone's suggestion that it's about _2001: A Space Odyssey_, which is both > the famous film by Stanley Kubrick and the slightly less famous (but waaaay > better, IMHO) book by Arthur C. Clarke. Since it's a required text for one > of my classes, I'm very familiar with the story. So here's my take on it: > "And as the screaming fire engine siren filled the air/The evidence had > vanished from my charred and smoking chair" > I don't know about a "screaming fire engine siren" (perhaps a reference to a > baby's scream?), but all the evidence of David Bowman's life did vanish. Yes, I am seeing the connection now. I am surprised I didn't see this before since 2001 is one of my all time favourite movies (Letterboxed version only please). However it occurs to me that the fire engine siren is the piercing siren-like shrieking noise the monolith makes at the beginning of the film. By the way Clarke wrote the novel after he had written the screenplay with Stanley Kubrick and based the novel on the script. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 18:10 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG necklaces on Conan >One of my friends, who was at the Conan taping, said that the necklaces they >were wearing were just the patch/logo from the new hats on a chain. Not >exactly the most sturdy piece of jewelry, but definitely servicable for a >nice Conan appearance. Hmmm... If someone felt like cannibalizing their hat, or if they sold patches, then you could probably glue the patch to a piece of cardboard or something. Then it'd be more durable. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:14:30 -0700 (MST) From: "Jessica T. Gluckman" <143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu> Subject: TMBG: Those necklaces! Heh heh....you guys are so cool! I, too, was asking that one nagging question while watching TMBG on Conan: ****Where can I get one of those necklaces??????**** Woohoo! ******************************* * Jessica Gluckman.:.:.:.:.:.:* * 143071@ef.ev.maricopa.edu .:* * www.geocities.com/SoHo/2195 * *.............................* * "When it rains, it snows, I * * wonder why." -They Might * * Be Giants....* ******************************* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 18:03:58 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: several things On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Brother JohnBejezus wrote: > Comics: The Residents have poked their optical melons into several comics > but I don't have any yet. If I get some (or if I get the comics ;) I'll tell ya > > Conan: I loved the necklaces too, and ya gots ta love Flansie's guitar. He > must have found it while cleaning or sumpin since he's started using it > again. My stoopid VCR cut off right after "one fingernail...." so I want to > throw it out the window. Was Flans singing the high part? At first I thought > he was the deep one but I watched it again and changed me mind. > If Flans is singing the high part, he sounds so much like Lin that we may have to rethink all those songs where it sounds like one of Them is harmonizing with himself, it might just be both of them singing! Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 18:28:25 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Songs Describing Me Well, where to start... Snowball In Hell---Irony after Irony.... Snail Shell---Those I like the most are those that help me stay in my own little world... I Should Be Allowed To Think---I guess we can all relate to this one, huh... Then there are: Piece of Dirt, Mr. Me, Sleeping in The Flowers, and Unrelated Thing, but you really gotta know me to understand my explanations for them... SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 18:30:58 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: December Shows? Philly? Hi all, I have heard from someone that there is a Philly TMBG show in Philly. My source didn't know how he knew, just that "They ALWAYS come to Philly around late December and New Years." Is this true? SJL ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Partial transcript from radio appearance Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 17:41:04 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts What follows is a transcript from part of J&J stopping by our local "really alternative" radio station, REV 105. J&J are L: and F:, and the DJ, Thorn, is T: ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] -----snip----- [...] F: ...actually, this November 29th show we're doing has a band called Cub opening up for us, I don't know if you've heard of them- T: Never heard of cub. F: ...these young ladies from Vancouver but they're very- T: Oh, you're objectifying them, thank you very much. F: No, no, i'm calling them ladies instead of gals. T: You didn't have to mention anything about em being ladies! You didn't have to do that- F: Actually, I don't know, we've never met them or anything so we don't, maybe they're just, you know, women who are- T: Pre-[???] transexuals? F: No- T: For that matter. F: Definitely in post. T: Yeah, um... I do have some questions, I was- these chat people have some questions for you, uh, is "Birdhouse in your Soul" about a nightlight? F(?): Mmhmm. T: Don't even, I mean, duh. Don't answer that one, I can take care of that one. L: [bemused] I find that question insulting. T: That is insulting. L: [fake shock] I can't believe this. T: Umm... The Replacements, you know the Replacements song you guys did, were they an influence for you, were you making total fun of them- L: Well they were- we were not making total fun of them, and they were an influence on us... I think what we really wanted was to write another "Hey Hey We're They Might Be Giants" type song and we'd already done it so... actually since then we've written more songs about ourselves, but we did throw in one song which was supposed to be about the Replacements- T: Turned out beign about yourselves. L: Well everything's really about us, isn't it? T: Yes it is. F: ...work on that capital/lowercase "R"... that's the thing I always, when people ask me about, I always want to refer them to is the idea that their name in and of itself is kind of a, "We Are the substitute thing," you know, T: Right! F: We had the same booking agent for a bunch of years, and so basically they would play there on Friday night, we would play there on Monday night... They'd play for a lotta people, we'd play for a few people. They'd make a lotta money- T: But where are they now? F: Uhhhh... T: Broke up! They're broke up, and you guys aren't. You're still going strong. Opening for big bands and stuff tonight. OK, Other question: did you ever do a song about riding in cars with shriners or something? L: Yes... F: ...we did. T: Cause someone had called up and he said he'd heard the song, but he has yet to be able to find it. L: Oh, there's a reference to the Shriners in the song "She's an Angel" from our first record, "They Might Be Giants".... T: Right. F: Available at Let It Be Records, and if you go there right now I believe Robyn Hitchcock will sign it for you. L: That's right, T: Robyn Hitchcock will sign your They Might Be Giants records... L: He probably will sign it... T: ... at Let It Be. F: Oh sure. Right now. He's there. T: What? L: What? F: I'm looking at the camera video screen here... T: [reading from the chatline] "Do J and J" - oh, that'd be you guys - "ever check out the sites that are dedicated to you on the Internet, because there's lots of them." F: You know, I went, when- we've got a new web site, at [slowly] W W W dot T M B G dot Com- T: You have your own domain name!! F: Yeah, we got our own thing, and as we were putting it together I was with our graphic designer who we've done a lot of different things with, and she was showing me all these different sites and actually went to the TMBG thing with the various links, and one of the them, I mean it was like an unofficial TMBG site, and one of the links was just like some guy who's like, [great white north hoser-voice] "I like collecting, you know, microbrewery beers." It just seemed like, you know, just like a really advanced form of ham radio operation, you know- L: "These are my cats, these are pictures of my cats..." T: Not a bad analogy. Pretty darn accurate. F: Which is nice, you know, bringing people together and stuff but, you know, I didn't really quite know except that he liked our music, what our our relationship, or how he- T: Isn't that enough? F: ...how he was linked- T: It's a complex world we're in, just liking you is enough to be part of the big society. F: I saw the SubPop web site, and that had some nice sort of transgressive moments with like, you know, "Cops for Guns" kinda stuff- T: Oh, right. So now the rumors are flying - They Might Be Giants, now moving to SubPop... F: No! We are happily ensconced in the- T: That's the way it'll happen... L: We're a family. We enjoy our role in corporate America. T: Good! You know what? I'm gonna play some music F: Cool! T: It's not gonna be yours, if that's OK- L: That's fine... T: You guys don't have to go though, right? YOu can stick around a little while- L/F: [in near unison] We already blew off sound check... T: Good, this is Soul Coughing, from "Irresistable Bliss", "Soundtrack to Mary"- F: Hey! I did the video for this song! T: Oh man. Coincidence? I think not. [...roll music...] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 18:44:57 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: James K. Polk > ... Linnell just seemed to > be banging on the keyboard, not playing any specific notes. What was he > trying to do? I didn't notice any really odd, jarring sound. > In my experiences (all two of them--I know you're impressed) I've found that John Linnell just plays like that sometimes. Every once in a while, he even hits the right notes....just kidding. I don't know...Linnell manages to play whatever he's supposed to play and still look pretty cool doing it... > And while I was watching, a friend and I were discussing live versions > of Factory Showroom songs... have they ever played The Bells are Ringing > or I Can Hear You live? For that matter, have they ever played James K. > Polk the way it's meant to be played? (i.e. with the accordion) > I don't know about The Bells are Ringing or I Can Hear You, but last time I saw Them play (Cincinnati, earlier this year) They played James K. Polk, complete with accordian...I actually have been too poor to buy FS (pity me, all...), but I assume it was the version from FS...sounded a little different from the Istanbul version. Yeah, well, I suppose that's it. Come on folks, I really want to know what everyone thinks of "They Got Lost". I only have one response, and that person liked it too....unless I've missed a post or two...see y'all around... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "That's why they call him Mr. Bitterness..." --Soul Coughing (yet another band that They turned me on to) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:48:48 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Song That Describes Self I've said this in another life, I know it... In any case, my theme song is Thermostat. "When the indicator says you're out of oil should you continue driving anyway?" I did. Pretty soon, the thermostat was engulfed in flames... or was it just me? Always check your oil. ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 20:20:22 EST On Wed, 06 Nov 1996 23:29:17 -0800 Colin Ferm writes: > >>She's Actual Size -- there's a long story behind this, but I quoted >it to >>my friend Megan when she said my girlfriend smothers me (she >>doesn't, she's actual size) > >>How Can I Sing Like A Girl? -- I want to raise my freak flag > > >Oh man, that's some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time! Which part? The Actual Size bit or the HCISLAG bit? A business doing pleasure with you. fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd random TMBG quote: "I see smoke signals coming from them. They say 'we are out of furniture.'" ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Statue interp (long) From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 20:20:22 EST >not quoted here is a groovy interp of Statue I completely agree. It does sound more like the book than the movie. And, in 2061 Odyssey Three, Dave's image appears in the company of the monolith/HAL thing on the cover. "And though I once preferred a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me." "Your turn to hear the stone and then your turn to burn" -- hey, it happened to Dave, it'll happen to whomever's turn it is next. Just my $69. Tim Lloyd fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org random TMBG quote: "Son, I am able," she said, "though you scare me." "Watch," said I, "beloved," I said, "watch me scare you though." Said she, "able am I, son." ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: The sonicnet tmbg chat! Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 20:15:43 -0600 Well, its over now. The sonicnet tmbg chat with flansburgh (the aol one with linnell is on right now) ended. The log is gonna be avaliable soon, and a few thing i have to say: Flansburgh said "Sorry, our fashion designer made those especially for us." about the conan necklaces.... too bad (not that i saw it anyway ARGH) Linnell was eating dinner at the time...... THEY ARE FRIENDS there was some talk of them not liking eachother much, i asked and he seemsed kinda offended.... HE ANSWERED 3 of my questions, it was cool. He probably would of answered more but i was too nervous to type! Also they said the first 20 people e-mailing the hose would win "THE BOOTIE" i htink like signed cd/posters. There is a good chance i was as it wasn't too crowded and i sent it the second we were told to. I think thats all i have to say. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 21:34:18 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. I think I've said this before, but I think that both "My Evil Twin", whihc is my favourite song, and "Your Own Worst Enemy" are songs that suit me quite well. I have this horrible paranoia problem which plauges me all of the time...I know I have an evil twin out there somewhere who checks all of the books out from the library that I need for research papers, and hides my keys, and other dastardly tasks...My own worst enemy...I feel that someone is watching me about 75% of the time (this plays into the paranoia thing) and sees me softly weeping as some music feels the room (although the weeping not so much.). As far as my personality goes, though, "Nothings Going to Change My Clothes" is it. Especially that dancing skeleton part... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 21:42:28 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: The sonicnet tmbg chat! > Also they said the first 20 >people e-mailing the hose would win "THE BOOTIE" i htink like signed >cd/posters. There is a good chance i was as it wasn't too crowded and i sent >it the second we were told to. As did I. Let me know when you hear follow up on that so I know if I lost. The same goes fore everyone else.
=================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorrow@voicenet.com
They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 21:09:34 -0600 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: TMBG: John Linnel on AOL John Linnels AOL chat just finished up. Heres the transcript. It'll probably be up on my web page soon (http://www.dragonfire.net/~Moogle/tmbg.htm) -- OnlineHost: Copyright 1996 America Online, Inc. OnlineHost: The auditorium consists of two major areas: the : audience, where you are right now, and the stage, : where the speakers appear. Text which you type : onscreen shows only to those in your row, prefaced : by the row number in parentheses, such as (2) if : you are in row 2. To interact with the speaker, : use the Interact icon on your screen. SPINmc: It's about five of 9, but what the heck...let's start taking some questions, shall we? SPINmc: We're here with John Linnell of They Might Be Giants... SPINmc: They have a new album out on Elektra records called Factory Showroom SPINmc: Joh L. will be taking any and all questions, so press that interact button! SPINmc: That's John L. SPINmc: Here we go...Crane100: Question: Are you a tea drinker, John? TMBGlive: Flansburgh and myself drink coffee....Flansburgh has the occasional Martini SPINmc: Tmbg345: Question: When will your House of Mayors come out? And how was the idea concepted? TMBGlive: House of Mayors CD will be out momentarily on Hello Records... TMBGlive: it was inspired by the Disney Hall of Presidents and is based on a ficticious New York TMBGlive: Hall of Mayors SPINmc: Fisker2: Question: Do you still have your "Song of the Day" phone line? TMBGlive: Dial a Song is still reachable at 718-387-6962 OnlineHost: The auditorium consists of two major areas: the : audience, where you are right now, and the stage, : where the speakers appear. Text which you type : onscreen shows only to those in your row, prefaced : by the row number in parentheses, such as (2) if : you are in row 2. To interact with the speaker, : use the Interact icon on your screen. TMBGlive: It features a different unreleased TMBG song everyday SPINmc: Tuxedo Sp: Question: How's the weather in Brooklyn? TMBGlive: Unseasonably warm SPINmc: ROSS2MYRR: Question: i've not heard any of your music--who would you be similar to? SPINmc: We're here with John Linnell of They Might Be Giants...Send your Q's by pressing Interact TMBGlive: we pride ourselves on sounding original...we...you know...we do our best to sound like no TMBGlive: other band SPINmc: Jasonkral: Question: What's up John, How YOU doing? TMBGlive: I'm in strangely good health considering we just doing some touring TMBGlive: that's just stopped doing some touring SPINmc: Doubaya: Question: Do any of your songs have a serious or deep meaning to them? TMBGlive: we think of all f our songs as meaningful... TMBGlive: sometimes the meaning is more obvious than others SPINmc: Rorschach: Question: Will you be publishing TMBG shhet music ever?? TMBGlive: We've been tossing that idea around (songbook) for a few years TMBGlive: we still havent figured out what to do... TMBGlive: we'd like to find something for the casual instrumentalist ... TMBGlive: as well as the dedicated fanatic SPINmc: Amy KES: Question: How would you say that your style has changed, from, say, Lincoln, to Factory Showroom? TMBGlive: We've both aged about 7 years...other than that, our intent has more or less remained... TMBGlive: the same...I think that techinally we are better musicians than in 88 SPINmc: Halos13: Question: so....where'd did the idea come from for that song on Apollo 18 with all the little songs Question: on it like "please pass the milk please" SPINmc: John Linnell might be a giant...no that's silly...he's normal-sized and he's chatting now. TMBGlive: it was partly inspired by the ads for song collections that you here on late night TV TMBGlive: hear SPINmc: Send your questions by pressing the interact button. SPINmc: Mr Avocad: Question: I have heard that an Elektra singles b-side compilation (called Superfueled Freaksicle, I Question: believe) will be released some time next year... Is this true? Any idea what will be put on it? OnlineHost: The auditorium consists of two major areas: the : audience, where you are right now, and the stage, : where the speakers appear. Text which you type : onscreen shows only to those in your row, prefaced : by the row number in parentheses, such as (2) if : you are in row 2. To interact with the speaker, : use the Interact icon on your screen. TMBGlive: superfueled freaksicle is the b-side complitlation from the Elektra years... TMBGlive: as it stands it's either 2 or 3 as the next TMBG album set for take-off SPINmc: Qyzwx82: Question: When do you plan to perform again in Columbia, MO? I will definately be there! TMBGlive: we're not going to perform in Columbia again this year, but we will be in KC ... TMBGlive: at the end of November SPINmc: Zombie455: Question: I thought "I Can Hear You" was really cool! How'd you get the idea for that? How did you Question: get to use Edison Laboratories' equipment? TMBGlive: We were invited by them to come record on their 100 year-old wax cylindor recorder... TMBGlive: naturally we leaped at the chance SPINmc: Mr Avocad: Question: I have been told that a collection called "They: The Early Years" will be released early Question: next year, containing all Restless albums as well as 18 unreleased songs -- is this true and what Question: will some of the 18 songs be? TMBGlive: the collection is called "Then- The Early Years"...the unreleased tracks are mostly dmos TMBGlive: from that same time period (85 to 88) SPINmc: We're here with John Linnell from TMBG...he's hand-picking your questions now! TMBGlive: many of which have appeared on Dial - a - song (718) 387- 6962 SPINmc: Jasonkral: Question: Is the Moscow concert in Idaho or Russia? TMBGlive: We're playing in Moscow, Idaho in a few weeks...our first performance in the state SPINmc: Xiff: Question: hey john... ive been watching two very disturbing things on TV... It seems too me that Question: their both things that can't be stopped... what do you recomend we do about the Ebola Virus... Question: and um, the "Single Guy"? Between the two of them... I feel the apocolapse coming... TMBGlive: I dont know SPINmc: GoodOmenz: Question: how was the conan obrien show? the suits rocked!! TMBGlive: we had an unusually easy-going time on Conan last night SPINmc: John is taking great care to pick only the finest of questions...SO MAKE 'EM GOOD! TMBGlive: it was our first time suiting up the entire band in identical costumes SPINmc: MiamiSkat: TMBGlive: I hope that people appreciated the experiment Question: Does S-E-X-X-Y have anything to do with chromosomes? TMBGlive: Flansburgh has kept pretty quiet about this issue...it's not clear if the "XXY" reference TMBGlive: was intentional...personally, I think it makes the song more interesting the easiest gig we ever did" SPINmc: Xiff: Question: On your recordings, as one myself, I always find the accordian playing the best part... it Question: really rounds out the sound. how important is accordian too your songwriting? Do you just add Question: it to the recordings, or write the accordian oriented songs with accordian first? TMBGlive: I'd say I write about half the songs on the accordion these days... TMBGlive: on the last record we gave ourselves the freedom to use any instrument that... TMBGlive: we felt suited the song TMBGlive: I think the accordian showed up on three tracks SPINmc: Call the Dial A Song number (718) 387-6962 for your daily dose of TMBG TMBGlive: 718-387-6968 TMBGlive: Dont call that number SPINmc: Drayco: Question: I Am Not Your Broom is nifty. will there be other movies on your web page soon? TMBGlive: it's 718-387-696(2!) SPINmc: We've gone crazy and dumped all the questions! OnlineHost: The auditorium consists of two major areas: the : audience, where you are right now, and the stage, : where the speakers appear. Text which you type : onscreen shows only to those in your row, prefaced : by the row number in parentheses, such as (2) if : you are in row 2. To interact with the speaker, : use the Interact icon on your screen. SPINmc: Ask your questions now! TMBGlive: We recently purchased the camera that looks like an eyeball on a pyramid... TMBGlive: we'll probably be making more little films with it soon SPINmc: TMBG 34: Question: Hey John, What's your favorite movie? TMBGlive: I just saw Badlands last night...worth checking out SPINmc: AmLarry: Question: What kind of new things can we expect to see on the new tour or in Salt Lake City on Question: Friday? TMBGlive: We'll obviously be playing material from our new release "Factory Showroom" in addition to TMBGlive: unreleased material, with many visual surprises SPINmc: AnaNg32: Question: Who will win XTC or Adam Ant? TMBGlive: XTC and Adam Ant will battle eternally in Heaven SPINmc: SUNSHIN79: Question: What is the address of your web page? TMBGlive: I believe its www.tmbg.com SPINmc: Tmbg345: Question: Where is your favorite place to visit while on tour? SPINmc: John Linnell is here with us tonight... SPINmc: Sifting through the silly and the profound...ask your questions now TMBGlive: we were recently reacquainted with the fine cities if Louisville, KY and Madison, Wisc... TMBGlive: on our last tour SPINmc: VxDopusxV: Question: Who is your favorite pro wrestler? TMBGlive: I think the Iron Sheik SPINmc: Smallpig: Question: what's the stumpiest song you ever got in stump the band? SPINmc: After much deliberation.... TMBGlive: It's hard to remember...the stumpier they were, the less memorable they were SPINmc: RFPkr: Question: linell - ive seen you guys 22 times this year. how come you never hang out after the Question: shows? how many brian doherty signed tix stubs can one own? TMBGlive: I'm usually exhausted after shows, which is why I'm not too good at shmoozing after a gig TMBGlive: I'd like to make a permanent apology to fans who might have been burned... TMBGlive: by my anti-social behaviour SPINmc: AMgdr: Question: what is your relationship with the band Cub, and led to your covering of New York City? TMBGlive: Flansbourgh heard Cub on the radio and went to enourmous lengths to find the name of the SPINmc: John Linnell...answering your questions *live* Press interact now! TMBGlive: band...I still havent met them, but Flans bumped into them on our last tour... TMBGlive: and says they're nice people SPINmc: Nmarzano: Question: My friends and I have a theory that Spider represents music, is this correct? TMBGlive: Um...I dont understand the question, but it's a fascinating one SPINmc: Triz: Question: Will the next record be coming out in 2 years? or possibly sooner because of the song Question: recorded for FS which didn't make it on this album? SPINmc: We've got about 5 more minutes with John Linnell... TMBGlive: the next release will be the collection of early material called "Them - The Early Years". TMBGlive: followed by our next album which will probably be out by next summer SPINmc: Qyzwx82: Question: What inspired you to write James K. Polk? It's not the kind of song I'd expect you to come Question: up with... TMBGlive: The inspiration for this song was form a country singer named Johnny Horton - who was ... TMBGlive: well known in the 50's and 60 TMBGlive: 's as a writer of historical pop songs SPINmc: AlyceF: Question: How did you guys like opening up for Elvis Costello at the Beacon Theater in New York City Question: last year? TMBGlive: It was personally thrilling for us because we've been fans of Elvis Costello's since we... TMBGlive: were teenager TMBGlive: s SPINmc: Rtmmk: Question: Who is really the powerhouse of the band? or is it an equal thing? TMBGlive: we like to think that we have at least 5 if not 7 powerhouses on stage during our live TMBGlive: performance TMBGlive: s SPINmc: GoodOmenz: Question: you wont answer this but- who's Certain People about? TMBGlive: I can never resisit a challeng TMBGlive: It was inspired by noticing a similarity between Kurisawa's "the Seventh Samurai" and SPINmc: We're just going to take a couple more questions...the clock is ticking... TMBGlive: a good friend of mine SPINmc: ]Mr Avocad: Question: Are there any current musicians whose music you enjoy? Do you listen to much music? SPINmc: One more question...... TMBGlive: I just heard an album from a band called "Adventures in Stereo" that I liked a lot SPINmc: The last question go to Junglelad: Question: what do you do in your spare time? SPINmc: Oops! Goes to Junglelad TMBGlive: As rare as it is...My spare time is reserved for 1) staring out the window... TMBGlive: 2) hanging out with people and staring out the window TMBGlive: 3) riding my bicycle 'round Brooklyn TMBGlive: 4)playing cards TMBGlive: 5) reading the newspaper SPINmc: We'd like to thank John Linnell for tearing himself away from his window to be with us... SPINmc: And thank _YOU_ for coming by... SPINmc: Come by SPINonline and check out the transcripts.... TMBGlive: I wish I liked Slurpees SPINmc: We'll be posting them in a couple of days... SPINmc: Thank you, America Online, and good night! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 22:15:25 -0500 (EST) From: Jon Adler Subject: TMBG: SPIN/Sonicnet If anyone got the transcriptions of these inteviews, please upload them to the list or send them to me personally... Thanks a ton. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 22:26:06 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: The quote The quote. From John Flansburgh, to me...on sonicnet. I asked: "JOHN: Do you approve of me driving 3 hours to see you on dec. 4th even tho it is a school night? :)" John answered: "RE Schoolnight driving- There is no higher calling for a young mind than driving to a rock concert." Truer words have never been spoken... Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 22:42:19 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linnel on AOL A Linnell quote from the AOL transcript... > TMBGlive: I wish I liked Slurpees "I wish I liked Slurpees"? What the hell? This is either spawned by the desire to throw some bizarre last quote out into cyberspace or he truly wishes he likes Slurpees. I find this last quote to be fascinating, and I don't know why...I like slurpees, but this is not something that I wish to everyone...I'm sorry for this odd post, I'm tired and putting off my homework...what do ya'll think of this statement? Or do you care? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Conan necklaces From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 22:35:28 EST Sorry, but on SonicNet chat just now, Flansy said that the necklaces were made by their prop person and won't ever be on sale... ;-( BOO HOO! +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 21:59:47 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Them on Conan Eric Webber <> wrote: > > Just watched them on COnan! I figured they would play S-E-X-X-Y but it > wouuld have been cool if They played something else. Oh well, it made my > day! I taped the show so anyone who missed it can write me about getting a > copy. > Take it easy, > Wubba warning - warning - all caps comin' up - i'm pissed at my self... I FELL ASLEEP THE COMMERCIAL BREAK BEFORE THEY CAME ON!!!! phew.. I feel better now.. sorry... Anyway, I would really like a copy of that tape. I'm still slamming my head on the table over it Thanx! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 23:05:55 -0400 (EDT) From: WHEELE8_@bentley.edu Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-274 dir ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 22:04:59 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Milwaukee Help! I hear that the Rave doesn't let anyone under 18 in! Is this true? (Pleeeaaase, no!) I must see Them! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 23:11:13 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: TMBG: SonicNet Log Hiya, i have the log, if anyone wants it i can either email it to u or u can go see it at my homepage, i'm going to put it up right now :) AmY "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind", AmY =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7* Amy@tmbg.org Seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 >>>>>seta on IRC<<<<<< =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=20 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 22:24:37 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Comics .o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o. wrote: > > i'm in.. i cannot draw but, i am a writer and tell truth i think a comic > of john'n'john in giants land [hehe] would be fun.. just an idea.! I can't write or draw a straigh line to save my life, but I think a comic book with John&John as demi-god type superheroes would rule! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 00:52:02 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: TMBG: TMBG Comics Manifesto ***If you have no interest in the THEY MIGHT BE COMIC, you might want to skip this one. It could be rather long... Apparently, there has been an extremely positive response to this They Might Be Comic Book idea (conceived by the brilliant Queen Sneepy). I've personally received several personal responses to my additional post. I'm quite willing to put in some time and effort, if you guys are willing to send in some stuff. This is my vision: An anthology of stories written and drawn by members of this list (and anyone else who loves TMBG), made by fans for fans. If they can be completed and collected, I will make sure they are printed (even if I end up paying the bill myself). If you are interested in contributing: Contact me- Cuper Vargas- slacker@cloud9.net 625 Granite Springs Road Yorktown Hts., NY 10598 And tell me what you want to do: write, draw, or both. -If you don't write or draw, but have some other service to provide, feel free to share. -Oh, and tell me where you live. I will attempt to hook up those who want to write with those who want to draw. (I will personally be writing and drawing one story, though I leave my penciling talents open to any who want to use them,I can send examples of my work if need be.) As for the aesthetics of the book: There are no rules regarding content. The They Might Be Giants theme is wide open. You might: -use John and John as characters in a story -depict the content of a given song -create a story based on feelings invoked by a song -create a story in which TMBG music plays a part, but does not involve John and John in a direct way. -or about a thousand other alternatives, funny or serious. As for techniques: No rules, anything from detailed super-realism to stylized charicatures to stick figures with accordions is fine by me. I will be working in black and white, which I expect will be easiest for most people. As for length: I personally like doing stories that are at least a few pages in length. (It gives me a chance to develop at least a semblance of characterization and plot.), but strips and single panel comics will be welcomed as well. As for time: I know that writing and drawing comic books is not a quick process, particularly if you work or go to school (or both). In my fantasy world, I'd like to see this thing done by Christmas. In the real world, I'd like to see our anthology in print six months from now. -The next several weeks will probably be spent learning who people are, what they'll be doing, and starting to come up with ideas, and creating some kind of network to contact each other. Then the actual work can begin. I imagine I'm not the only one in school, so winter break will probably be the most fertile time for the creative aspects of the job. I expect writing, drawing, inking etc. to last a good portion of the winter. -After that, we begin to compile everyone's work into one place, print it up, and BAM! volume 1 of the They Might Be Giants Comic Anthology (to be given a great title at a later date). Well, I think that's it for now (though I'll probably think of things I forgot just as I send this). If you want to help, please contact me by e- or regular mail. If you have comments or criticism, do the same. If you already, posted what you want to do, please do so again, preferably directly to me instead of the list. "I'll see ya in church, and don'tcha ever change," -Cuper. P.S. If any of you are going to be at the Roseland show tomorrow, I'll be the guy in the goofy red hat and checkered sneakers. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 00:58:24 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: TMBG: Comic Book It was weird, I checked my e-mail and there were a bunch of items addressed to me in response to your original idea of a TMBG comic book. The reception was so positive that I just ran with the idea and typed up my little manifesto. It seemed so appropriate (I'm in the midst of drawing and eventually printing some of my own books). Anyway, your idea was rather brilliant, and I hope we can actually put this thing together. -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 01:13:59 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: TMBG: Comic Book Wait a minute, that message to queen sneepy appeared in my mailbox after I sent it, that means I sent it to the list by mistake, DOH!! sorry, sorry, sorry. -Cuper. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-306 ******************************