Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-307 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 307 Saturday, 9 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: **TICKETS TO ROSELAND** TMBG: #13 is me, I try to explain, Let it be, Conan, Soul TMBG: My first post! Re: TMBG: TMBG Comics TMBG: music Re: TMBG: music TMBG: Re: your mail Re: TMBG: music TMBG: BOBA MAIL: They Might Be GIants Re: TMBG: music TMBG: Cub & TMBG TMBG: Thought This was STINKIN' hilarious! (TMBG Related) TMBG: tower records success! TMBG: haha TMBG: e-mail etiquette TMBG: tower records info and set-list TMBG: KC SHOW Re: TMBG: cancel all further messages please!!!!!! Re: TMBG: conan TMBG: live cd? TMBG: They Might Be in the New Rolling Stone TMBG: slurpees TMBG: YEEHAH!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: music Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. TMBG: bands TMBG: Song that describes me Re: TMBG: My first post! Re: TMBG: music Re: TMBG: My first post! TMBG: James K. Polk and Johnny Horton TMBG: Reviews Re: TMBG: music TMBG: TMBG in San Diego Re: TMBG: several things TMBG: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT JAMES!!!! Re: TMBG: My first post! Re: TMBG: several things ---AND TAPE COPIES! TMBG: TAPE COPIES! Re: TMBG: Re: Sad songs, etc. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 03:31:06 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: **TICKETS TO ROSELAND** Okay, here's the deal: I have two tickets to the Roseland show tonight, and I am completely unable to go. If you happen to want to buy them (at a reduced price) e-mail me As Soon As Possible--like, NOW! They're "will call," so I can notify TicketBastard that I've transferred them as soon as I receive mail. If nobody wants 'em, I'm out $18.50x2 and I don't even have the paper to prove it. * jon scott (mrhorrible@vt.edu) * "Throw off the chains of reason and your prison disappears." -Rush ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 03:24:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: #13 is me, I try to explain, Let it be, Conan, Soul Hello 41- #13 best describes me- You can skip this one if you want to (I don't have to say that do I?) but anyways, I try to add to threads. Here we go... Many people when you first play for them #13, go what the hell? Is this for real? Just like many people do when they see me I guess. I have only gotten things second and third hand, but you know how it goes. Then you start to get into it. Trying to follow and stay with the conversation, and it doesn't exactly make sense. Those that know me can go for that one too. Then it gets to the point, and it's really neat. I can only hope people think this about me, but I do have *some* friends... For some people it gets old, for some I stay groovy. Let it Be Records- I went there when I was in Minnesota. They had a pretty good TMBG selection. I also got the Velvet Underground Banana poster. Then on the way out I saw the famous snowman around the pile of burning money. I almost flipped! I asked to buy it. They said no. I begged and pleaded. They said no. Later, I had the girl I was with offer them money and still no. Oh well right? Conan- With the big presidential theme, I figured They would have played James K. Polk if they were "allowed" to, but I bet somebody said they have to promote the single. So we get S-E-X-X-Y, but we don't get necklaces. YET Conan/necklace- I read in a post from a one Brookz that the necklace is the new logo that will be on the new hat. Cool. My mom is rather handy with the sewing machine. I may order a hat and see if she can convert it. Who knows? Soul Coughing- I saw them recently. They were really good. I had a great time. A semi TMBG like crowd. They did a lot of songs on movie soundtracks I was not aware of... No mention of TMBG though. Adam's Do it yourself .sig file We were driving out of town, and my radio's broken, been thinking about taking up smokin', but we're both broke, and I refuse to smoke generics. 'Cause in my book, smoking a sub-par brand would be sort of like listening to a sub-par band. And I value my ears about as much as I value my larynx. -John Huss Moderate Combo ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 04:31:41 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My first post! Hi! Regarding Herne's comments about the XTC mailing list: There was no flame war about a Clinton remark (that passed without much incident). I assume Herne is referring to the lively censorship debate not too long ago that lasted a few issues and ended with no bitter feelings. Everyone conducted themselves a civil manner, with the exception of the person whose "obscene" XTC quote started the whole thing. Her reply was in self-defense and supported by all of the people who wrote in concerning the topic. The XTC mailing list (Chalkhills) should not be held up as an example one of the nastier lists on the Internet. This list is much more prone to juvenile name-calling and negativity than Chalkhills (no stupid "quiz bowls are gay" comments) and the people there regularly put forth intelligently written, multiple-sentence posts as opposed to this list which seems to contain a large faction of people whose idea of a post is quoting someone's entire post, adding a one or two-sentence comment, serving no purpose other than to waste our time. Consolidate your posts (like Joshua Hall-Bachner, who has done an impressive job of putting forth his opinions in an intelligent, concise manner on both this and the Chalkhills list) so we don't spend most of the digest reading header information, overindulgent signature boxes and remarks from previous posts! I wonder if the proliferation of people on this list with short-attention spans is the reason why people seem to dislike Factory Showroom. All of a sudden, the Giants are fleshing out their songs instead of putting forth sketchy, underdeveloped tunes (most clocking in at three minutes plus) and everyone's headed for the emergency chute to take them back to the Bar/None years. Perhaps there's another reason... ...for example, the fact that the two Factory Showroom songs people most often dismiss are "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "S-E-X-X-Y". What do these two songs have in common? Prominently featured string ensembles. Something that these teenagers' (who dominate this list) parents would be more likely to listen to. I have to wonder if string sections aren't a little too sophisticated for some younger members of their audience. Look at their earlier stuff and you'll hear a lot of accordion (of course). The accordion is a goofy instrument, who can resist it? It's also commonly associated with one goofy-ass genre of music (polka) and lends itself to a fun atmosphere. Now let's take that pesky string section, what is it most commonly associated with? Classical music, which is sophisticated, serious sounding and not all that hip. The Johns are evolving and expanding their musical palette, which is a great thing, and I think that people are going to have adjust to that instead of wishing for another Lincoln. This string-section thing is just a theory. I would get bored real fast if they resorted to cloning their early albums. (switch topic) There are some of you on this list who don't want They Might Be Giants to become popular, lest you lose your precious hipster credentials. This places the desire to have a band you can call your own ahead of the Giants' desire to sell records and (heaven forbid) establish financial security, which is just plain selfish. I suppose you would thrilled out of your tiny little mind if they were selling a thousand copies per album and living in a cockroach-infested apartment, because then you would be the hippest, most darling thing on the planet. Grow up! The whole world doesn't revolve around you. I want the two Johns filthy rich and swimming around in cash because they would deserve every single cent of it for putting out such innovative music throughout their career. Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:47:11 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Comics I think these comicky ideas are great. However, I think they'd be much better if they were based on characters from songs rather than the Johns themselves. I really like the idea of reading about Mr. horrible and the ugliness man, or Mr. me or Rabid child. The list is endless and I think it could be really cool. That's my encouragement on the whole thing anyway. Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ From: Hanlon Date: Fri, 8 Nov 96 11:15:09 GMT Subject: TMBG: music How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some decent British bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. HANLON ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 06:44:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: music << How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some decent British bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. >> *Disolving into fits of uncontrollable laughter* Kay, who hasn't gotten nearly enough sleep lately ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:02:20 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail On Thu, 7 Nov 96 15:15:43 GMT Hanlon wrote: > From: Hanlon > Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 15:15:43 GMT > Subject: > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > If any one has anything decent to write about then please write but stop sending a load of shite. You're right, I just can't stand these people who just write in one or two lines that aren't worth reading.................................. Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:07:32 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: music On Fri, 8 Nov 96 11:15:09 GMT Hanlon wrote: > From: Hanlon > Date: Fri, 8 Nov 96 11:15:09 GMT > Subject: TMBG: music > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some decent British bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. > > HANLON Firstly m'dear Shitpop is crap and secondly you do know you can unsubscribe from the list at ANY time don't you...................? Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:39:18 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: They Might Be GIants On Conan: I too loved the necklaces, they ruled. I really like that song a lot more now. I guess that's what a live performance does for you. On AOL Chat: I'm glad Linnell likes the Iron Sheik. I am definitely glad that someone asked! (Non-sarcastic) Oh well, Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Dumb bastard, it's not a schooner it's a sailboat." - Willam boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:49:45 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: music On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Hanlon wrote: > How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some decent British bands such as > Oasis,ash and stone roses. ^^^^^^ Uh-oh, is the underlined word a typo? I think you meant to type 'worthless and degenerate,' but then your hand slipped and you accidentally typed 'decent'. Second, the stereotyping of all Americans as having 'no tate in music' is obviously a well-researched and totally objective claim. Thirdly, I'm unclear as to the meaning of 'tate.' Is this a British word that us obviously undereducated and stupid Americans don't know, or is it just perhaps the British spelling of 'taste'? Have a sarcastic day. RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:53:24 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: Cub & TMBG Ben or Been here, still, yes, existing. . . Just a quick note: At the TMBG concert that goes up Dec. 3rd at the Newport in Columbus, OH, Cub will open for them. I am guessing Cub will join them on "New York City" or something. Believe it, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 12:39:10 -0500 From: David Gonzalez Organization: Harvard/Smithsonian Center For Astrophysics Subject: TMBG: Thought This was STINKIN' hilarious! (TMBG Related) I went to the National Public Radio Home Page and did a search for 'John Flansburgh' because I knew that he did a short piece when promoting Mono Puff's Unsupervised and look what it came up with: Weekly Edition July 7, 1996 -------------------------------------------------------------- QUESTIONS? CALL AUDIENCE SERVICES AT 202-414-3232 HOST: SUSAN STAMBERG MONOPUFF -- NPR's Robert Siegel joins the band Monopuff for a musical/spoken word piece. John Flansburgh, formerly of the ^^^^^^^^ band They Might Be Giants leads the group. (3:00) ex: ATC 960704 -------------------------------------------------------------- end ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 12:53:16 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: tower records success! YES! i got a very VERY good recording of the tower records in-store show. it is 41 min. long and they were great. here was the line up: Linnell: accordian only Flansburgh: guitar Dougherty: drums Maby: bass Levine: trombone O'Conner: trumpet it was incredible, i was three feet from the band the whole time, and when they played spy and Linnell came out to conduct the band he stood right next to me! our arms touched a few times that's how close he was. he only looked at me once though. i think he was scared of me.i could have leaned forward and touched him easily, i also got the set-list signed by maby and dougherty- flans and Linnell ran off stage to go see their freinds upstairs as soon as they were done, i'll write more later and i'll post the set list. to all of you who want to trade and have already posted about it, i will write back in about an hour, sorry it took so long to get to a computer but i had a rehearsal last night, talk to you all later. -j ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 13:31:30 -0500 (EST) From: Fransburgh Subject: TMBG: haha hey, matt james... what do you think, in this whole comic/writing vein, that we come up with, say, a crazy story about a boy named jesse bubblo and his adventures in bubbleland?? wow, what a cool idea. heehee ;) ;) --fran(sburgh) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:31:16 -0500 (EST) From: Nette the Wonder Hamster Subject: TMBG: e-mail etiquette Hello, everybody!!! This is in response to the guy that asked about all the "shite" that everyone sends out. (Hmmm..... SAT word, kids!!) Anyway, these are some of the "rules" that we have to follow on one of the other lists that I'm on; they make a lot of sense, and can be brought to any list environment. (They're really easy to follow, too.) 1. No one-liners. Unless they're important. 2. If you have a .sig file, keep it short. I'm on the digest for this list, and .sig's take up almost as much room as the messages!!!! Also, as a rule of thumb, if you have a .sig, at least make sure that your message is longer than the .sig. It looks silly any oher way. :) 3. When you reply to a message, and keep some of the prior message in it, delete all that you are not responding to. For instance, if someone wrote an essay, and you are replying to it, just quote the passages that you want to reply to. Also, don't send back a long message that we already have, just to put "I agree", "me too", "yes", or "shut up" at the end of it. It's a waste of space. 4. Keep personal mail personal. This eliminates misunderstandings. 5. If you must flame, do it over private mail, not on the list. I hpoe that I don't seem bi+chy about this; I don't mean to be. This will actually make the whole list more reader-friendly, and more enjoyably for all of us. TMBG content: I MISSED CONAN!!!! WAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Now I'll never get to see that groovy thing....... Oh, and another song that describes me, this time by Mono Puff: Oddball! Sorry this is so long!!! Later Nette ____________________________________________________________________________ Memorable quotes from this week...... ____________________________________________________________________________ Remember - Elvis is dead, deal with it. - Chris or Maliki The buck has been passed more times than a nude hitchhiking John Popper. - Sean Ryan Draw the line dividing laugh and scream. - They Might Be Giants **don't forget to go to my web page..... http://www.tcnj.edu/~frost** ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 13:48:55 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: tower records info and set-list hi, i got a great recording of the tower records in store thursday the 7th. here is the lineup: Linnell: only accordian Flansburgh: guitar Dougherty: drums Maby: bass Levine: trombone O'Conner: trumpet the tape runs 41 mins long, here is the set-list: older nyc james k polk maybe i know ana ng how can i sing like a girl spider spy birdhouse in your soul shoehorn with teeth s~e~x~x~y istanbul no intro dig my grave that's it, the tape is great though, all accordian, makes up for the lack on factory showroom. i also got one of the set-lists, the one for the horns, and got it signed by dougherty and maby, and i got to shake maby's hand. the johns ran upstairs as soon as they were done because they had a lot of freinds waiting up there. i will be gone for the weekend so don't be alarmed if you don't here from me before sunday night. have a good weekend and talk to you all on sunday. if you're interested in a trade let me know. thanks -j ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:09:53 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: TMBG: KC SHOW This is pertinent to anyone attending the K.C. show. I really really really want to go, but I need to find a ride HOME to ST LOUIS afterwards. If anyone is planning on making a return trip to or through StL after the show, please Email m e (privately, please) at c688423@showme.missouri.edu All sarcastic replies to this message WILL BE FLAMED. James @ MU ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:14:12 -0600 (CST) From: "James @ MU" Subject: Re: TMBG: cancel all further messages please!!!!!! On Thu, 7 Nov 1996 johanna.staral@tpdome.com wrote: > Please tell me how to cancel! > Cancelling your subscription is easy, silly! James @ MU ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:43:14 -0800 From: Chris Subject: Re: TMBG: conan I actually stayed up to watch the Conan appearance.. The crowd was going nuts.. hehe.. It was excellent.. The suits, everyone is right, were very cool.. However, I think the coolest thing was the FULL LIVE STRING SECTION!! That was great.. Well done boys! Chris At 09:53 AM 11/7/96 -0500, Matthew James wrote: >> Hi- >> If someone already wrote this, ignore this little informational message. >> Conan is on at 11:30 tonight. But I live in Wisconsin, >> so the time may be different in different states. >> I am so excited! >Conan came on at 1:30am here in Maryland so i taped it of course (can't >stay up that late!). I watched it this morning, it was fantastic, they >did SEXXY and they had a dsco ball and a full string and horn section. >They also dressed up in this slick suits and had TMBG pendants ala the >CD sleeve. It was great! >Matt >-- >------------------------------------------------------------------- >Matt James >polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu >Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America >"Cracking toast, Gromit!" >New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > > Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ From: mmk2a@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 14:48:23 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: live cd? Hey, does anyone know anything about a live 2-disk CD that's out there? I don't think it was ever released in stores. Anything that anyone knows about it would be appreciated. Thanks. -Mark ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 8 Nov 1996 15:03:46 EST Subject: TMBG: They Might Be in the New Rolling Stone Well, they *ARE* in the new RS. Page 85, there's an ad, with the johns in suits that gives tour dates and plugs the new album... ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:36:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: slurpees >>I'm sorry for this odd post, I'm tired and putting off my homework...what do ya'll think of this statement? Or do you care?<< Heh heh... I was at the chat (none of my questions got picked... ::sigh::), and I was on 2 "instant messages" at the time, commenting back and forth with friends at the chat... and my friend Trista and I were cracking up over that quote. :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 15:41:11 CST Subject: TMBG: YEEHAH!!!!!!!! I'm off to Cleveland on Dec. 4 for the show!! I can't freaking wait! I'm driving 5 hours for this, so it better be good. Do I really have to question that though? I think not. Are we all still planning on metting somewhere? If so, than where and when and what and all that crap. Post it or e mail me or something! I'll see you there!!! Hanna ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: music From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 16:52:25 EST On Fri, 8 Nov 96 11:15:09 GMT Hanlon writes: >How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some decent >British bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. Perhaps if they _were_ decent British bands. In fact, the majority of young Americans love Oasis and the Stone Roses had a huge hit in that states a few years ago. Decent British are more like Blur, Madness, XTC and Radiohead. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 19:11:12 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG songs that describe you. > Since we are on the subject of sad songs, why not songs that >describe yourself? Songs that describe me? Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head,because I have to make an effort to keep my life from becoming too routine. Rhythm Section Want Ad, because I play drums and know what it's like to be looked at as if you're some kind of... I Should Be Allowed To Think, 'cause I should, and How Can I Sing Like A Girl, just for the "Raise My Freak Flag Higher and Higher" part. Actually, there are very few TMBG songs I don't sort of identify with. -- "Little by little the night turns around Counting the leaves that tremble at dawn Lotuses lean on each other in yearning Under the eaves the swallow is resting Set the controls for the heart of the sun"-Pink Floyd Jonah ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 17:26:19 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: bands Hi guys- What's wrong with Oasis and Ash? I think they are two excellent bands. Not many people have even heard of Ash, though. I strongly recommend checking them out. I might go see them in concert on Sunday. Okay, that was my message. Just wanted to say that at least one person thinks those bands are pretty cool. -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 17:44:20 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Song that describes me The song that probably describes me best is Constellation, cuz it's kinda melancholy, kinda solitary, and is about astronomy! Cool! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 96 19:15 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: My first post! >...for example, the fact that the two Factory Showroom songs >people most often dismiss are "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and >"S-E-X-X-Y". What do these two songs have in common? >Prominently featured string ensembles. Something that these >teenagers' (who dominate this list) parents would be more likely >to listen to. I have to wonder if string sections aren't a little too >sophisticated for some younger members of their audience. Hey, wait a minute! "XTC" and "SEXXY" aren't my favorite TMBG songs, but not because of the strings. I *like* strings in my music. "Eleanor Rigby" just wouldn't be the same without the strings. I really don't think that these songs are "too sophisticated" for us "younger members." I don't like them as much because I feel they lack something that is present in other TMBG songs. And FYI, half the music I listen to my dad listens to also. I'm sorry, I just found the tone of this post to be a tad condescending. I'm sure it wasn't meant to sound that way, but that's the way I took it. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:29:43 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: music On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Hanlon wrote: > How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some decent British bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. > > HANLON > Well, I'd rather have no taste than _bad_ taste. By the way all this stuff you're posting is pathetic, and nobody here really gives a damn about what you say unless it's constructive or related to TMBG. You might as well just go find somewhere else to play. -Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:38:15 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: My first post! about people not liking XTC vs.. and SEXXY because of the strings... first of all there are just as many young people listening to music with strings as there are adults (i'm talking percentages, not absolute values - ther's many times more adults in this world) And second --*There's string in Istanbul (not Constantinople)* -- and there's certainly no shortage of popularity with that song! Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:57:19 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk and Johnny Horton I actually think it's really cool that TMBG got their idea for James K. Polk from Johnny Horton's historical songs! That actually explains a lot, in terms of the way the song sounds. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? "In 1814 we took a little trip Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississipp. We took a little bacon and we took a little beans And we fought the bloody British in the town of New Orleans" --The Battle of New Orleans, by Johnny Horton ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Date: 08 Nov 96 20:04:21 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Reviews This may already have been posted, but I need to rant about it. It's from people magazine. FACTORY SHOWROOM They Might Be Giants Listening to the Giants id sometimes like listening to a maniac raving about aliens invading his breakfast cereal. They often don't make much sense but are fascinating to listen to. Even on this sixth full-lenght CD from the New York City band, what seperates the Giants-led by co-songwriters and singers John Flansburgh (guitar) and John Linnell (accordian)-from the lunatic fringe is their immensly appealing gift for pop melodies. They can make a song extolling the virtues of our 11th president, James K. Polk sound downright Beatles-esque. There is plently of requisite wackiness, like the bouncy, addictive "The Bells Are Ringing" in which the pealing chimes hypnotize an entire town, and the aforementioned ode to Polk, which is as catchy as a commercial jingle. What makes the step forward for the band, though, are the surprisingly normal, pleasant tunes, including "Pet Name" a semisweet love song with a minimum of witty wordplay annd a maximum of smooth soulful sounds. Whether it's the result of maturity or lithium, the highly entertaining Factory Showroom indicates that for the giants, sanity may be setting in. Could this possibly be the biggest insult to the giiants since thje 120 mins appearance with dave? The review starts like any normal one, but once the Pet Name bit starts, it is just terrible. I'm considering writing in to complain. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:17:07 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: music From: i_forgot@juno.com (Marcel ? Marceau) On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:07:32 GMT Grimleyfiendish writes: > > > >On Fri, 8 Nov 96 11:15:09 GMT Hanlon wrote: > >> From: Hanlon >> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 96 11:15:09 GMT >> Subject: TMBG: music >> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >> >> How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some >decent British >bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. Excuse me? No tate? I do listen to Stone Roses and I'm American? Does this mean that Stone Roses suck too? I would not, however, say that Oasis is decent. They are a cheep knock off of The Beatles and they know it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:22:25 -0800 From: Chris Subject: TMBG: TMBG in San Diego I agree completely, that two line thing really sucks.. People should cut that out.. Also in regards to British bands.. isn't it possible to like both? One more thing.. Why do so many british music lovers have such bad attitudes? Other than that, I was trying to set up a free in-store performance in San Diego in addition to the Concert at 4th & B in downtown on November 24th.. However, due to time constraints it appears it isn't going to happen. If something changes, I will let everyone know.. Other than that, if you want to come on down to San Diego to see TMBG, the ticket number is (619)-231-4343.. The show is 21 and over.. (sorry.. we are trying to change it..) Who's coming down? I would love to meet you all.. -Chris Ricci "Rocking Rythum Section Want Ad Style..." At 04:31 AM 11/8/96 -0500, Floopyglop@aol.com wrote: >Hi! > >Regarding Herne's comments about the XTC mailing list: There >was no flame war about a Clinton remark (that passed without >much incident). I assume Herne is referring to the lively >censorship debate not too long ago that lasted a few issues >and ended with no bitter feelings. Everyone conducted >themselves a civil manner, with the exception of the person >whose "obscene" XTC quote started the whole thing. Her reply >was in self-defense and supported by all of the people who >wrote in concerning the topic. The XTC mailing list >(Chalkhills) should not be held up as an example one of the >nastier lists on the Internet. This list is much more prone >to juvenile name-calling and negativity than Chalkhills (no >stupid "quiz bowls are gay" comments) and the people there >regularly put forth intelligently written, multiple-sentence >posts as opposed to this list which seems to contain a large >faction of people whose idea of a post is quoting someone's >entire post, adding a one or two-sentence comment, serving no >purpose other than to waste our time. Consolidate your >posts (like Joshua Hall-Bachner, who has done an impressive >job of putting forth his opinions in an intelligent, concise >manner on both this and the Chalkhills list) so we don't >spend most of the digest reading header information, >overindulgent signature boxes and remarks from previous >posts! > >I wonder if the proliferation of people on this list with >short-attention spans is the reason why people seem to >dislike Factory Showroom. All of a sudden, the Giants are >fleshing out their songs instead of putting forth sketchy, >underdeveloped tunes (most clocking in at three minutes plus) >and everyone's headed for the emergency chute to take them >back to the Bar/None years. Perhaps there's another reason... > >...for example, the fact that the two Factory Showroom songs >people most often dismiss are "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and >"S-E-X-X-Y". What do these two songs have in common? >Prominently featured string ensembles. Something that these >teenagers' (who dominate this list) parents would be more likely >to listen to. I have to wonder if string sections aren't a little too >sophisticated for some younger members of their audience. Look >at their earlier stuff and you'll hear a lot of accordion (of course). >The accordion is a goofy instrument, who can resist it? It's >also commonly associated with one goofy-ass genre of music >(polka) and lends itself to a fun atmosphere. Now let's take >that pesky string section, what is it most commonly >associated with? Classical music, which is sophisticated, >serious sounding and not all that hip. The Johns are evolving and >expanding their musical palette, which is a great thing, and I >think that people are going to have adjust to that instead of >wishing for another Lincoln. This string-section thing is just >a theory. I would get bored real fast if they resorted to cloning >their early albums. > >(switch topic) > >There are some of you on this list who don't want They Might >Be Giants to become popular, lest you lose your precious >hipster credentials. This places the desire to have a band >you can call your own ahead of the Giants' desire to sell >records and (heaven forbid) establish financial security, >which is just plain selfish. I suppose you would thrilled out >of your tiny little mind if they were selling a thousand >copies per album and living in a cockroach-infested >apartment, because then you would be the hippest, most >darling thing on the planet. Grow up! The whole world doesn't >revolve around you. I want the two Johns filthy rich and >swimming around in cash because they would deserve every >single cent of it for putting out such innovative music throughout >their career. > >Dave O'Connell >York PA > > > > > > Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: several things Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:55:32 -0500 (EST) > Was Flans singing the high part? At first I thought > he was the deep one but I watched it again and changed me mind. > > Yes, that was Flans on high, with support from Linnell on low. m@t Four score and seven Advil... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 23:23:39 -0500 (EST) From: MIKe Rose to the rescue Subject: TMBG: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT JAMES!!!! Ok, I know it's still 40 mins until Saturday but I fear I will not be at my computer then so I will say it now. Happy Birthday Matt James! He's 22 on Saturday. I knew this boy when he was just 21 and now he's that much closer to being a man! He's my friend and I know you all love him too. May all his Christmases be white, which is not a racist comment in any way shape or form. Matt, take care! Happy birthday buddy. And to all of you, I say I will be out of town for 8 days starting Saturday. I will see you all when I get back. Have fun. I'm going digest while I'm away. Spread the TMBG word. See you. MIKe, who has 99 movie scores in his collection. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 23:49:16 -0500 (EST) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: My first post! > >...for example, the fact that the two Factory Showroom songs > >people most often dismiss are "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and > >"S-E-X-X-Y". What do these two songs have in common? > >Prominently featured string ensembles. Something that these > >teenagers' (who dominate this list) parents would be more likely > >to listen to. I have to wonder if string sections aren't a little too > >sophisticated for some younger members of their audience. i must've miseed this the first time it came around... I AM A 'CELLIST! it's my life...please don't tell me that i'm below my chosen profession...(and i am 18...) whatever. sorry, i just don't like sterrotypical teenage comments...there are some cool of us out there :P and what's wrong with introducing those who don't know as much to such a great genre?? :) don't take this too seriously... but it's true... and a hearty happy birthday to Matt James! hey! mine's in 3 days :) he is having one of the best gifts of all...TMBG show in NYC! woohoo! hope it rocked! --fran(sburgh) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 00:39:21 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: Re: TMBG: several things ---AND TAPE COPIES! On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > Was Flans singing the high part? At first I thought > > he was the deep one but I watched it again and changed me mind. > > > > > Yes, that was Flans on high, with support from Linnell on low. > Funny, since Flans made that dedication to the ladies in the beginning using that really deep voice. *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 00:43:56 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber <>" Subject: TMBG: TAPE COPIES! Sorry everybody in that last post I meant to say this too! If anybody else wants copies of Their appearence on Wedensday's Conan, sorry but you'll have to wait until after Thanksgiving. I'm already making twelve(12) copies over break which I don't mind but that's enough. If you want a copy to feel free to mail me but I won't be able to get it to you until probably Christmas time. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 23:29:37 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sad songs, etc. > I actually got my Humanities teacher to let me play NOKMP in class > because of that line. We had been talking about that allegory, and my > friend Molly brought up that line -- this was before I bought that album. > Neither of us could remember the song it came from until later, and when > I got the CD, I brought it in. It was cool. That song is one of my many > favorites, too. Speaking of playing They're songs in school.. Today I brought in FS and played James K Polk for my history class since we're studying the mexican war and him and all. It was pretty cool.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-307 ******************************