Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-309 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 309 Monday, 11 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Post number three (featuring me) Re: TMBG: Post number three (featuring me) TMBG: Re: New album by next summer? TMBG: "Class"-ic songs Re: TMBG: Goodbye Re: TMBG: ROSELAND and Linnell-O-Scope TMBG: Keep from being THROWN TO THE WOLVES TMBG: a meandering diatribe in response to responses to respones TMBG: Conan O'Anomalies TMBG: Conan help needed~, Electric observation, Wal-Mart BF5 TMBG: concerts after atlanta TMBG: Jeff Morrow Won (none) TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three TMBG: Roseland TMBG: Re: your mail Re: TMBG: Post number three (featuring me) TMBG: Would love anyone's help! TMBG: Good song Re: TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three (too many re's, I agree) / Conan! Re: TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three (too many re's, I agree) / Conan! Re: TMBG: Good song Re: TMBG: Conan Copies TMBG: Conan appearence TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single Re: TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three (too many re's, I agree) / Conan! TMBG: Radio Stations TMBG: Conan Copies Re: TMBG: Jeff Morrow Won TMBG: Re:Flippyglop's message TMBG: Best album TMBG: Re: "foreigner" bashing...(the boring part w/ nothing to do with the subject Re: TMBG: Conan Copies TMBG: Re: Good song Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single Re: TMBG:Conan/ SEXXY TMBG: flansburgh recipe for french toast TMBG: Shows BEFORE Idaho... TMBG: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 05:05:54 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Post number three (featuring me) Hi! Tara commented: >How is this an indication of a short attention span? Sometimes, there is >something to be said for a short, concise statement, musical or >otherwise. I would presume that it's easier to make it through a ninety-second song than a three or four minute one, wouldn't it? The Giants seem to be doing less and less of that these days and people are liking their albums less and less. Could the two be connected by any chance? Maybe, maybe not. Yes, there is something good to be said for short, concise musical statements on record. However, I don't think the same could be said of the aforementioned types of posts to the list (quote a paragraph, add a sentence, top it off with a pointlessly indulgent signature box and send similarly constructed ones in on a regular basis) I criticized in my original post. Musically, that would be akin to sampling someone's song and maybe adding some "oohs" and "ahhs" to it and calling it your song. >Um, no, Dave, that's not it. While I, too, would have to say that "XTC vs. Adam >Ant" is one of my least fave FS songs, I consider the stringpart to be what (sort of) >saves it. It's the rest of it, believe it or not, that doesn't really do much for me. Oh >yeah, and I'm 20, by the way. Some teenagers don't like strings. Some! Some! Not you, though (therefore you're in that other category of people). I think it's an excellent song (especially the string section). Does anyone else out there like it? Anyone? (I'm twenty-one, for the record). William Tatalovich commented: >BTW, I'm sorry to all the people on the list. You shouldn't have to read this stuff, >but it just needs to be said... I don't think it's a bad idea. The points we've been arguing over all relate to They Might Be Giants. Or were you referring to the British/American bands thing, which has very little to do with Them? In which case, I agree. >That's what it all comes down to. I just want Them to keep being cool. I understand your concern. Personally, I'd rather they concentrate more on studio recordings and long touring less. Unless anyone has the time and money to follow them around on tour, the most people will see them in concert is two or three times (maybe a little more?) during that tour. The year spent on tour playing to those people who would only see them two or three times could be spent in the studio making new recordings for all of us. However, they need the revenue that comes from touring, so the extended wait between albums is a small price to pay for a more secure financial outcome, so I go along with it without any complaints. True, it wouldn't be a good thing for success to limit personal contact with the fans. I don't think the friendly chats would end, however, it would just turn them into more of a lottery, I think. I wouldn't begrudge them that if they became successful. >No real reason to respond to this except to point out that Ad referred to >one of the greatest bands on the face of the planet...the Ben Folds Five They are excellent, aren't they? Glad to see we agree on something! >That's like saying you'll believe in any church just because you believe in god. >Faith is not a necessary item in the listening of music. No, but if you're worried that a band might lose its ability to write good music because of increased popularity, then it doesn't say a whole lot for your faith in their muse in the first place, does it? If They Might Be Giants became popular in the next few months, I wouldn't be worried that their next album might suck. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt concerning their ability to adjust to success. >It is obvious from their massive response that the strings are not the reason >for the majority of this group's dislike. Massive, no. Several people, yes. There's a significant difference. >If you stereotype a specific group, do not expect no reply, do not act so shocked >and defensive when you get one. Certainly, I'm defensive. Why bother posting to the list if you're not prepared to defend your post? I'm not shocked, though. I figured this would happen. You've only proven that you have a rather loose grasp on the definition of "stereotypical". Regarding Eric Webber's comments on Istanbul being a popular song *and* string heavy: Yes, it's a popular song. I imagine there are some fans out there who don't like it though. Perhaps these people might also be among the *some* who don't like S-E-X-X-Y because of the strings. Whew! I think that covers *yesterday's* disagreements! Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 06:05:44 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Post number three (featuring me) Dave, You keep repeating that you only said "some" teenagers dislike strings. Well, I happen to know that "some" adults don't like strings, where's that leave your argument? I think it is a shame that your first post was a negative one, most people generally try to avoid starting argument's their fist time. Well, you've got guts. 8-] Take it easy, Wubba P.S. I think were the only two people on this list awake at these crazy hours. *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 03:37:17 -0800 From: dw@ucla.edu (Daniel Tappan) Subject: TMBG: Re: New album by next summer? > >Reprehensible >Certain People I Could Name >Counterfeit Faker >Older than You've Ever Been >They Got Lost >On the Drag > >and about 8 or 9 others... perhaps they'll bring back Become a Robot and >Hell Hotel... Which Describes How You're Feeling took 7 years to >resurface from the Demo Tape... =46rankly, I have to say that WDHYFAtT is one of the best songs out there. Its short, but has a really neat sound. I've been a fan since around... 1989 I guess. An=7Fd ever since then tmbg ha= s been my absolute favorite group. I just recently discovered this list, and I'm really glad I did. Every place I go that I mention TMBG, I get some strange looks from people who have never heard of them, and its kind of frustrating. its kind of a relief to find some people that see the same genius that I see, or at least share the same appreciation for some great Music. To Dave O'Connell: I see your point, and I think its certainly not unfounded. I'm 18.. I can't say that I dislike strings, but I find I like the strings in some songs more than in others. XTC vs. Adam Ant is a GREAT song, and yet I'm not terribly fond of S-E-X-X-Y. I think it has more (for me, anyway) to do with the use of strings rather than the existence of them. And to Eric Webber: make that the only Three people awake at this hour. =3D) Danny ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 09:31:41 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: "Class"-ic songs One of my friends had to do an English project (don't worry, it will relate to Them eventually!) where she had to look up 100 words that she liked but didn't know and then do a project on one of them. The word she chose (and of course I can't remember the actual word) meant "so obvious that only a moron wouldn't get it" or something to that effect. Anyway, what she did for her project was this: make a large yellow paper cutout of the sun with the word written all over it and then bring in WDTSS to play for her class! And her teacher liked it so much that my friend got one of the best grades in both AP English classes combined! Cool! Anyway.... About People magazine. My opinion of them has been steadily slipping and that review just about did it for me. Their hypocricy for Mel Gibson (last week "better than ever! Ransom is wonderful!", this week, "a lukewarm performance... his Lethal Weapon role ten years older...") really ticked me off. *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza Nicolaou \ "We apologise for the inconvenience." enicolao@scnc.waverly.k12.mi.us / *-- ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Goodbye Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 09:48:28 -0600 >I'm leaving the realm of TMBG to go and listen to all of the bands that >have been mentioned here lately. Oasis has just become my favorite >band, and I think the Gallagher brothers are god's gift to radio. >Please forgive me for wasting your time. > >-- >S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net >Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ >ObWittySig: "The point is, I am sick of the Oasis discussion on TMBG >forums, both the newsgroup and list."--me > Oh, great, now we lost ruprecht (kinda....) and bluedawg! I for one am mad, i liked their posts. why? Why? WHY? And we apparently lost bluedawg because of way tooo much ooasis descussion ( i am also sick of it!)...... this place is going downhill...... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: ROSELAND and Linnell-O-Scope Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 10:53:16 -0500 (EST) >[somebody's show highlight:] > WHEN LINNELL MADE DIRECT EYE CONTACT WITH ME AND MY FRIENDS. > He's omnivisive - he maintains eye contact with everyone in the crowd at all times, simultaneously. (And if you hang him on the wall, his eyes look like they follow you around the room, too!) Have you ever been on stage? I'm not certain whether anyone has mentioned this, but in addition to the question of whether or not Linnell can see ANYTHING without the aid of his rather serious-looking glasses, you should consider the fact that, given the lights shining on you and the relative darkness the crowd is in, it is often very difficult to see beyond the edge of the stage at all. People in the immediate front may be visible, but the jury's still out on whether Linnell can even see TO the edge of the stage. Or maybe he's just an alien...;-) m@t Who has to admit that he also thinks that Linnell once made eye contact with him during a show in a small bar several years ago. Linnell had flubbed the words to one of the songs (although nobody seemed to notice). I was in the very front (only about five feet away from him - it was a small joint) and he happened to look at me immediately after the mistake. I grinned at him about it and he grinned back, giving a slight nod. (Although _everybody_ at the show probably went home and said, "Linnell looked right at me and smiled!":-) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 11:11:25 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Keep from being THROWN TO THE WOLVES > Hey, wait a minute! "XTC" and "SEXXY" aren't my favorite TMBG >songs, but not because of the strings. I *like* strings in my music. I'm sure there is some sort of bad joke to be made here, but I just can't find it... >"Eleanor Rigby" just wouldn't be the same without the strings. That's true. It would be a capella. :) >I really >don't think that these songs are "too sophisticated" for us "younger >members." I don't think Dave (who is a friend of mine) was attempting to say it quite in that way. But I must back him up that there *are* people on this list who don't give the music enough of a chance -- as well as people who like it regardless of how good or bad it may be. >I don't like them as much because I feel they lack something >that is present in other TMBG songs. And what would that be? I was watching the video compilation for the first time, and as it went through all these great songs, I really *felt* something...present there. I felt suddenly sad -- I had never felt that thing with TMBG's Elektra music. So, to reassure myself, I went up and listened to my TMBG CDs. And I made two discoveries: First, only *some* of the Bar/None songs did this for me; many (possibly even most) of them just left me cold, emotion-wise. And second, while this particular feeling was no longer present in the later CDs, something else had taken its place. So, no, TMBG don't have that same something, they have something new...but it's *just* as good. > I'm sorry, I just found the tone of this post to be a tad >condescending. I'm sure it wasn't meant to sound that way, but that's the >way I took it. Since I have corresponded with Dave quite a bit, I can guarantee that he is *not* a rude or condescending person. I must comment, though, that going from the Chalkhills list to this one is a bit of a culture shock. Chalkhills *is* far more mature than this list -- and that's all there is to it. >Could this possibly be the biggest insult to the giiants since thje 120 mins >appearance with dave? I'm sorry, but *NO*. The biggest insult was that other review that completely trashed TMBG out. This is a *positive* review, and you call it an insult! I don't care if it says that "sanity" is setting in. What it's saying (or, rather, what *I* am reading it to say) is that they're not as off-the-wall as they once were. And that is, IMHO, somewhat of a good thing. TMBG at 37 are not going to produce an album that sounds like the Pink Album which approaches the quality of said album even closely. They've moved to a style that suits them better now...and it happens to be less "quirky." So what? The music is still good. I admit that the bit about "a minimum of witty wordplay" would never come from a big TMBG fan...but so what? They enjoyed the album. That is the point. >I'm considering writing in to complain. You'll certainly give the people at People a good laugh. "Hey, everybody, this guy *LIKES* They Might Be Giants and he's complaining about the positive review we gave them last issue! Ha!" /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: a meandering diatribe in response to responses to respones Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:03:00 -0500 (EST) Disclaimer: Everyone, take this lightly. It's meant to be less negative than it may sound... :-) > > Neither do I. You missed two key things about the strings comment: a) the use > of the word *some* (teenagers) instead of *all* (teenagers) This is still stereotyping, no matter how much you try to qualify it. *Some* people in general don't like strings, it has little to do with age. It applies equally to all ages and all walks of life - pre-schoolers, thirty-somethings, and retirees - as well. Whether or not teenagers specifically like strings has much more to do with background and environment. In fact, I'll wager that the majority of the truly gifted string players are teenagers (or have been very recently or soon will be). Even if not, gifted players undoubtedly were gifted teenage players at some point. I would like to see some of these string-loving adults you mention pick up violins and try to become world-class players! [...] > You're taking it too personally, Kristen. As soon as I used the word *some* > instead of *all*, you should have realized that this post wasn't referring to > you. In her defense: It is still condescending and stereotypical. Holding exceptions to your theory up as anomalies doesn't make it less so. ("I'm not unfairly stereotyping *all* teenagers, just *some* of them...") And don't give too much credit to adults. An awful lot of them don't like classical music, based on personal tastes and/or because they don't understand it and therefore think it's boring. > Not music *dominated* with strings. There's more of a generation gap than > you think. I'm sure a higher percentage of adults listen to music with > strings, seeing as classical music is much more popular with older people. > Not many popular bands these days feature strings in their recordings. > Nirvana did (on "Unplugged in New York") and the Smashing Pumpkins do > sometimes ("Disarm", for example), but most (popular) bands end up doing > rock. > You are confusing two different issues. Strings have never been important in the genre of rock music. One could argue that brass and woodwinds are also "classical" instruments, and yet many, many teenagers are listening to music right now which is dominated by these instruments. I doubt that it is because they think woodwinds are "cool" or because they spend there free time playing air-trumpet. These instruments are much more closely associated with the history of the genre, however, and that may be why they tend to dominate over strings in rock music. It has little to do with age stereotypes or generation gaps, though. Granted, as we age, we theoretically have time to expand our ranges of musical appreciation, but it has been my experience that relatively few do. Sadly, people more often seem to narrow their musical tastes with age. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Conan O'Anomalies Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:24:50 -0500 (EST) > Eric Webber wrote: > On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > > > Was Flans singing the high part? At first I thought > > > he was the deep one but I watched it again and changed me mind. > > > > > > > > Yes, that was Flans on high, with support from Linnell on low. > > > Funny, since Flans made that dedication to the ladies in the beginning > using that really deep voice. > True, although I wouldn't exactly call it funny. (Actually he didn't speak it as deeply as he did on the record; it was more on the low side of his normal speaking range.) He still sang the high part, though. What is funny is this: Flans didn't appear to be lip-synching, but at least some of the vocal track must have been pre-recorded. At the beginning of the line "wig on her head," Linnell steps away from the mic and stops singing while he attacks the keyboard, missing the first three words or so before he realizes and jumps back up to "sing." However, his voice sang the entire line even without him... m@t ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:40:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Conan help needed~, Electric observation, Wal-Mart BF5 Hello 41- Conan help needed-First of all, I forgot to tape Conan, but I figured it would be on the next video boot. However, I just got a pair of shoes that I am going to polka dot with their little necklace logo. However, I FORGOT, the background colors of what was behind the T, M, B, and G. I THINK, behind the "T" was cherry red, behind the "M" was a medium brown, but the other two I don't want to guess. If anyone knows what colors are behind the B, and G for sure, please tell me. Also tell me what colors the actual letters are. If you know, time is important, thanks! Electric observation- It seems that "planned" opening bands for TMBG play interesting electric instruments. Brian Dewan plays the electric zither. Cub is assosciated with the electric tennis racket. Eugene Chadbourne does the electric umbrealla. Are there more? Wal-Mart- No SEXXY anything there. Not anywhere, on the one on East Colonial. Ben Folds Five- I really like them musically, but could never get into them, because I am not in love with the lead singer's voice. Sorry. Adam's Do it yourself .sig file I want peace on earth, and good will toward men. We are the United States government, we don't do that kind of thing. -Sneakers ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:49:31 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: concerts after atlanta Does anyone know of any TMBG concerts after the Atlanta date on 12/8 (i will not go to NYC to see them :( ). I'm hoping that they will be coming to the Count Basie theatre (Red Bank, NJ) sometime over winter break. But if they do come, I would still need a ride to go the 15 miles to see They (please Nette??? :) Craig ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:57:32 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Jeff Morrow Won Congrats to Jeff for winning. However, just a small question. How come he seems to be the only one who has heard back? According to SonicMod the first 20 people would win something. Perhaps he just got messed up. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they had a drawing or something from the first 20 e-mails. Any thoughts? Btw, Jeff, let us know what you win. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 11:58:30 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd >AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT NOTICED THAT LINNELL SAID A NEW ALBUM >WOULD BE OUT BY *NEXT SUMMER* AS AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION? > >Sorry for the caps, but wouldn't this be a major thing? He said Then: was >coming out...and that superfueled was probably the 2nd or third project >in line...AND...that a new "real" album would be out by next summer... Hmm... dunno. I interpreted it this way: 1) Then: The Early Years is the 1st project in line, due out in Jan. '97 2) Superfueled is the 2nd project in line. We don't know when it'll be out, except for a vague mention of "2nd or 3rd quarter" 97. Ergo, summer '97. I think that the "New Album" Linnell mentioned is SF, not a new new album. They'll be on tour for most of '97, giving them little time to make a new album and tour to support it. Although... they would have enough new material for a new album, wouldn't they? Food for thought. --nicole the wonder nerd so let's see... if they tour to support a hypothetical new album, would they come back to No. CA? San Jose, Sacramento? How come they never come to San Jose, anyway? It's bigger than San Francisco. :) :) :) *** Nicolopolis, phoenix-like, has risen from its own ashes! Visit the mostly-new incarnation at: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn But nothing much works yet. ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 15:03:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three Hi! Earlier today, Eric Webber commented: >You keep repeating that you only said "some" teenagers dislike strings. >Well, I happen to know that "some" adults don't like strings, where's that >leave your argument? I see what you're getting at. You're equating the two since I used the word "some" to describe teenagers. Some is a non-specific term. Considering my previous statement that classical music and strings is more popular among adults than teenagers, you would need to realize that the "some" referring to older people is a greater amount than the "some" used to refer to teenagers. The reason I use the word "some" to describe both groups even though the popularity among one is higher can be attributed to the fact that only 5 percent of music purchases are of classical recordings. >I think it is a shame that your first post was a negative one, most people >generally try to avoid starting argument's their fist time. Well, you've >got guts. 8-] The first and fourth paragraphs were meant to be negative, the second and third were meant as theories concerning Factory Showroom's less-than-positive standing among the people on this list. I should clarify that even though the original post was my first to this list, I've posted numerous times on other lists (and had never been flamed before until now). >P.S. I think were the only two people on this list awake at these crazy hours. I agree, these are very insane hours that we keep! Dave O'Connell York, PA ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Roseland Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 15:48:04 -0500 (EST) Firstly, I must say thank you all for the birthday greetings, I appreciate it. And on with the Roseland review. Ok, after rain, carrying heavy things, and driving for hours I got to see TMBG perform in their hometown (well not quite Brooklyn, but in NYC) in NYC at the Roseland Ballroom on 52nd and Broadway! After going to the smelliest city in America, Hoboken (sorry if that offends any Hobokeners ;), we took a train to the Avenue of the Americas and then trudged, bags, pillows, backpacks and all to 26th street, then cabbed it up to the Roseland. We got there slightly late, missing the beginning of Cub's set but still got to hear them perform NYC, and I believe they wanted to see how TMBG would perform their song, alas they did not play it. I enjoyed the Cub show, although their garage sound did not quite seem to fit as well in this 3500 person place over the loud speakers, some of it seemed to get drowned out by all of the guitar. I had a little trouble during NYC deciphering some stuff and had I not know the lyrics so well, I probably would have had a harder time. Next came Magnetic Fields. I have never heard such a rude and ribald crowd towards this band. They werent much of a show-stopper as the lead singer seemed stoned or very depressed, but he was a little Ian Curtisesque and the music was not bad, so I enjoyed that a little bit. Everyone booed them off the stage so I felt a little bad for them. I think their 'cellist may have been heard better in a different environment But anyway, next Andy Rickter of Conan showed up on stage to introduce TMBG. Then came the Giants. I had started in the back of a huge crowd because of our late arrival but had been in the middle where it was very rowdy by TMBG. Somehow, amongst the pushing and shoving I had managed to get in the front row right up with Julie, Lisa, and Cortney and was smack dab in front of Linnell. My arms and ribs had hurt after the show but I still enjoyed being up there. I was glad that they played Metal Detector although I thought it wasn't quite as good as I thought in concert, it's better on the CD. The beginning keyboard part was skipped and instead Eric simulated it on his guitar. I was upset that they did not play Your Own Worst Enemy or Spiraling Shape as these are possibly my 2 favorite on Factory Showroom, but at least they played Ana Ng, the pre-Flood song. No First album stuff as usual of late. I got to meet many cool people, Alex Gershon again, Sarah McDonald, Bob Plass who was a cool guy and he also bought me a Sam Adams for my birthday. I also met Liz Goldstein briefly and I want to thank her again for buying us tickets! Also, Cortney, Julie and all the other wondeful folks up in NYC, the greatest city in the world! Also, it was fun to eat dinner with Mike "Killer" Kahn and to meet the other New Yorkers that went. On a funny note, a crowd surfer was pulled out from the crowd sort of near where Flans was and Flans made this banging motion with his guitar while he played as if he were trying to hit the guy on the head with it! It was great. I also loved how those people got to play the guitar. Kurt Hoffman joined the band to play saxophone which was pretty nifty, I hadn't seen him before. That's about it. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Sean Bergeron Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 15:56:12 -0500 (GMT-0500) > >in line...AND...that a new "real" album would be out by next summer... > > 1) Then: The Early Years is the 1st project in line, due out in Jan. '97 > 2) Superfueled is the 2nd project in line. We don't know when it'll be out, > except for a vague mention of "2nd or 3rd quarter" 97. Ergo, summer '97. Yes...the Box set will be released in Janurary....I doubt they will tour to support it, as it is being released through Bar/None&Restless, and TMBG are no longer employed by Bar/None. Elektra would probably have a cow if TMBG said they were going to tour in support of it. If they did tour in support of it, I'd love to see just John, John, and the tape machine on the tour. Alas, it won't happen. > I think that the "New Album" Linnell mentioned is SF, not a new new album. > They'll be on tour for most of '97, giving them little time to make a new > album and tour to support it. It would break their cycle of a new album every two years. I expect the next album in fall '98. There may be a new Mono Puff album next year, tho. --Dawg, http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:35:48 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: Post number three (featuring me) > Some teenagers don't like strings. Some! Some! Not you, though (therefore > you're in that other category of people). I think it's an excellent song > (especially the string section). Does anyone else out there like it? Anyone? > (I'm twenty-one, for the record). Yes. I'm 14, and I hate to break this to all of you, but I happen to LIKE XTC vs. AA. The strings are a nice touch, and I just like it. I'm not a particular fan of either band in the song, either. Oh yeah, and I don't like SEXXY much, but not because of the strings either. The point I'm trying to make is that whether a song has strings, whether you're a teenager(or a member of any other general group), your hair color, shoe size, etc., does not in any way affect what songs you like or dislike. It's this thing called personal taste. P.S. Yes, Virginia, Pink Floyd is a great band. See my sig for an example of one of the few bands I know of whose lyrical brilliance rivals TMBG's. -- "Little by little the night turns around Counting the leaves that tremble at dawn Lotuses lean on each other in yearning Under the eaves the swallow is resting Set the controls for the heart of the sun"-Pink Floyd Jonah ------------------------------ From: Yoel96@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:35:08 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Would love anyone's help! TMBGers, Does anyone have any TMBG sheet music that they wouldn't mind making photocopies of? I am new to this list, have most of the midis and wavs around, but would love sheet music! Joel Gedalius Yoel96@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: 10 Nov 96 17:10:23 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Good song Just a quick note. For anyone who has PODAS, listen to Concrete and Clay. It's like the 10th song. It is my current favorite they song. ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:39:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three (too many re's, I agree) / Conan! I apologize for the labeling of dissenting posts as "flames". I thought the word encompassed strong disagreements, but I was wrong. Eric Webber, in particular, has been very rational in his disgreements to my original post. I stand corrected. They Might Be Giants on Conan: I suppose the decision to play "S-E-X-X-Y" had something to do with the fact that Elektra is "pushing" this song to radio (note the quote marks surrounding the word pushing, seeing as I have yet to hear it on the radio--college, alternative or otherwise), but perhaps the song was also chosen to show that the Giants are evolving and that they're more than some cleverer-than-thou joke band (a viewpoint which seems to worm its way into their album reviews). Speaking of album reviews, did anyone catch Musician magazine's review of Factory Showroom? Chuck Young likened the band to having lunch with a comedian and having to reassure him every fifteen seconds that he's funny. Not a particularly flattering review. Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three (too many re's, I agree) / Conan! Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:51:46 -0500 (EST) > They Might Be Giants on Conan: I suppose the decision to play "S-E-X-X-Y" had > something to do with the fact that Elektra is "pushing" this song to radio > (note the quote marks surrounding the word pushing, seeing as I have yet to > hear it on the radio--college, alternative or otherwise), but perhaps the > song was also chosen to > show that the Giants are evolving and that they're more than some > cleverer-than-thou joke band (a viewpoint which seems to worm its way into > their album reviews). Speaking of album reviews, did anyone catch Musician I have yet to hear SEXXY on the radio as well, although I've heard it's been played on WRNR. I heard Pet Name on WRNR-Free Form Radio coming home from the NYC concert which was cool, and I'd much rather hear that than SEXXY but it is strange to not have heard that. SEXXY is the single after all. Course RNR has played Metal Detector and either How Can I Sing Like a Girl or Until My Head Falls Off, I can't remember which exactly they played. Oh, and in NY, Linnell was wearing his Parthenon shirt! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: 10 Nov 1996 23:14:12 -0000 From: "Phil Bickel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Good song >From owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Sun Nov 10 14:27:06 1996 >Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA10309 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:10:43 -0500 >Message-id: <1930551@hanover.VALLEY.NET> >Date: 10 Nov 96 17:10:23 EST >From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) >Subject: TMBG: Good song >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Precedence: bulk >Reply-To: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) >Just a quick note. For anyone who has PODAS, listen to Concrete and Clay. It's >like the 10th song. It is my current favorite they song. > Just for the record, you do realize TMBG didn't write Concrete and Clay, right? It was originally done in the 1960's (I believe) by a band called Unit 4+2. Phil *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:37:46 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan Copies >>I don't know if anyone has thought of it before but maybe instead of one person copying conan that maybe someone could set up a tape tree for it.<< Yeah, that is an ideal thought at first, but wouldn't that be a direct way for the quality to weaken? Unless you have superb outstanding vcrs.... ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Yoel96@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:43:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Conan appearence What songs did TMBG play on Conan other than S-E-X-X-Y if any? Joel Gedalius Yoel96@aol.com ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:53:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single Yesterday, I saw in Goldmine Magazine (w/the Beatles on the cover) in the Southland catalogue section the 2-track SEXXY single with the album version and the "Warren Rigg Microwave Mix" version and it was 6 bucks, also the 26-track Live from New York album for around 20 bucks, so check 'em out. I got my live from new york c.d.rom there about 2 years ago and it only took like 4 days,I remember, to get. nick ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: Post number three (too many re's, I agree) / Conan! Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:03:43 -0500 (EST) > Dave O'Connell writes: > > They Might Be Giants on Conan: I suppose the decision to play "S-E-X-X-Y" had > something to do with the fact that Elektra is "pushing" this song to radio > (note the quote marks surrounding the word pushing, seeing as I have yet to > hear it on the radio--college, alternative or otherwise), but perhaps the > song was also chosen to show that the Giants are evolving and that they're > more than some cleverer-than-thou joke band (a viewpoint which seems to worm > its way into their album reviews). This is also a viewpoint which seems to irritate them to no end (and rightly so!). However, S-E-X-X-Y on Conan doesn't seem very mysterious except for that LInnell vocal thing I mentioned previously). It's pretty customary to plug the first single for a new album, after all. (The lame Indianapolis station has been playing it, once in a blue moon...) m@t ------------------------------ From: Yoel96@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:10:35 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Radio Stations Any people from NYC that can give me the radion stations that play TMBG? I can't seem to find any, but my friends say there are but won't tell me. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me the NYC radio stations. Joel Gedalius Yoel96@aol.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Conan Copies From: thatoneguy2@juno.com (Kevin M Poe) Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:28:58 EST Hey, I've got the tape and 2 (pretty good) VCR's. If you missed it e-mail me privately and we'll see about hooking you up with a copy. I would really like to make a trade with someone, see as how that is the only non-published piece of TMBG memorabilia that I own (Oh wait, I have about the last 5 minutes of a 120 Minutes episode They did 2 years ago). That is all, GoodBye thatoneguy2@juno.com (A.K.A. Kevin Poe) "I don't know how to dance, I don't know how to sing, but I'll SCREAM blessedly scream!" - Johnny Q. Public "EXTRA 7 ORDINARY" (SCREAM) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Jeff Morrow Won Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:32:46 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called Justin Higgins...... > Congrats to Jeff for winning. However, just a small question. How come > he seems to be the only one who has heard back? According to SonicMod > the first 20 people would win something. Perhaps he just got messed up. i got a response saying that i could only win if i lived in america. bah humbug! just an additional item, to the person who wanted someone to ask on the sonicnet chat about when an english tour would happen. well i did ask, and the response was in march next year, though they would most likely only be playing in london. incidentally for anyone who cares, march was also the response to my question about when they'd be in australia. i guess that means they won't be at the bdo then. oh well :) tamara. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||grimace||tryptophane||didIaskForFries?||IamNotYourBroom|| yublocka@tmbg.org Beat up the cat if you need someone else on the mat I put a rock in the coffee in your coffee mug Which one of us is the one that we can't trust? You say that I think it's you but I don't agree with that -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:34:39 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re:Flippyglop's message >a) the use >of the word *some* (teenagers) instead of *all* (teenagers) The fact that you did not specifically WRITE the words doesn't mean you didn't IMPLY the message. There are to parts to everything that you, or anyone says, the actually words, and the meaning derived from them. The meaning derived from your post, obviously was a condiscending (sp?) one, in which people founda large stereotype of teenagers. This is easily seen by the sheer numbers of people who posted the same meaning recieved through your post. The individual words you use don't imply stereotypes, the sentance structure does. Also, this kind of subject is not one where you can get results through reason alone, as you said in this second post defending your first. What percentages of what population like what music can only be known through studiesnot just of you or your friends, but of a large percent of the populatin. If you didn't do the study, don't post these blanket statements. Even in "theory". SJL ------------------------------ From: mmk2a@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:38:02 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Best album I've been a huge They fan for about six years now but just recently joined this list. I saw them at TRAX in Charlottesvile a couple weeks before FS was released. There's been talk on this list about what would happen if They got too famous, and if their music would change. It seems to me that every two years when the new album comes out the style changes a lot anyway. For example, They went from the half synthesized music and 80s sounds of "Don't Lets Start," to the 70's-like horn sounds in John Henry, to the lead guitar, etc, in Factory Show Room. As a new subscriber to this list, I was curious how people think FS measures up to old albums, and what album everyone likes best. If this topic was already introduced a few weeks ago, sorry to have made you read this message so far. Otherwise, I'd be interested to know what people think. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 06:40:49 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: "foreigner" bashing...(the boring part w/ nothing to do with the subject NJ Powell wrote: ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 06:54:29 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan Copies That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > > On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > > > I don't know if anyone has thought of it before but maybe instead > > of one person copying conan that maybe someone could set up a tape > > tree for it. > > > > If anybody who gets a copy from me wants to make copies for others, > once they get their tape, that would be appreciated! Or if somebody else > has a copy and wants to make some for others let me know and I could give > out the names of some of the [many] people who asked for one. > Take it easy, > Wubba > I taped it and could help make coppies. Also, I want the post bar-none videos or any other apperiances so if anyone wants to trade that would be great. Oh yeah, I cna't pay for postage or the tapes on copies unless they are trades because I'm poor.S-O-R-R-Y Thanks, Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 07:10:50 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Good song Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > > Just a quick note. For anyone who has PODAS, listen to Concrete and Clay. It's > like the 10th song. It is my current favorite they song. speaking of PODAS, will anyone do a blank tape trade for it? thanks sorry to post so much at once, Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:31:08 -0800 I asked about Live In NY and they said it was already sold. And this was a couple weeks ago. ---------- > From: PACQUISTO@aol.com > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single > Date: Sunday, November 10, 1996 3:53 PM > > Yesterday, I saw in Goldmine Magazine (w/the Beatles on the cover) in the > Southland catalogue section the 2-track SEXXY single with the album version > and the "Warren Rigg Microwave Mix" version and it was 6 bucks, also the > 26-track Live from New York album for around 20 bucks, so check 'em out. I > got my live from new york c.d.rom there about 2 years ago and it only took > like 4 days,I remember, to get. > > > nick ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:21:18 -0800 From: Chris Subject: Re: TMBG:Conan/ SEXXY I have to agree that it is definately a record company call on the song that they play.. It is generally very good for album sales to play the single off the newest record on these national shows because of the stimulating of record sales. If you play an old song it might confuse viewers who are less in touch with the band (and give no extra push to the record on radio).. In regards to the single SEXXY.. I have to say that I really don't like it, the Giants aren't that kind of band and (correct me if I am wrong), they really didn't even write the song.. My favorite albums include the pink, flood, apollo, and FS.. The new album overall is excellent.. The question is why SEXXY and not a song like NYC that is catchy and totally radio friendly.. BTW in San Diego, the Flash is playing SEXXY in heavy rotation and they tell me it is "researching" good.. So what do I know anyway? Chris >They Might Be Giants on Conan: I suppose the decision to play "S-E-X-X-Y" had >something to do with the fact that Elektra is "pushing" this song to radio >(note the quote marks surrounding the word pushing, seeing as I have yet to >hear it on the radio--college, alternative or otherwise), but perhaps the >song was also chosen to show that the Giants are evolving and that they're more than some cleverer-than-thou joke band (a viewpoint which seems to worm its way into >their album reviews). Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 00:15:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: flansburgh recipe for french toast hey everyone. i work at a bookstore, and today this kid asked me to price a book for him called: "a musical feast". it is a compilation of recipes from all different bands like: oasis, meatloaf, madonna, the marsalis brothers and they might be giants are in there. there is a recipe for flansbugh's mom's french toast and a few pictures of the johns in a kitchen. it was really cool because i didn't expect to find it. here is the recipe: John Flansburgh's French Toast 4 slices whole-wheat bread 2 eggs 1 tablespoon milk 2 tablespoons (1/4 a stick) butter Cinnamon Beat together eggs and milk in medium bowl. Dunk bread in egg and milk mixture, leave until bread absorbs a good amount of egg and milk. Melt butter in a large skillet. Place soaked bread in skillet and freely sprinkle top of bread with cinnamon. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve with real 100% Vermont maple syrup. it also includes a signature but i can't read it, and there is a quote by Flans: "This is pretty much my mother's recipe for French toast. It's fool proof and power-packed with calories. No substitutions, please. This is my only recipe and is responsible for 20% of my current body wieght." there you go, have a nice day -j ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:35:26 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: TMBG: Shows BEFORE Idaho... Hey all, I am going to the Moscow Idaho show on the 14th of November (this next Thursday) and was wondering where they are playing on let's say, the 13th (Wednesday Night), or even the 12th (Tuesday night)... If these places are not too far away, I might consider making the drive. Any info would be very appreciated thank... BTW, as of last check, there was no info regarding this on any page that I know of... Thanks guys, Matthew K Puvogel RaVeNmAsTeR productions ltd. 1996 "I was walking down Haight Street, in Sanfrancisco, when counter-cultered youth cornered me... She had a freshly died purple mohawk, $120 Doc Martin Boots, so in other words she was wearing about as much equity as I had made so far this year, and with a wanting look, on her pale face, she asked me for some change...... I said change comes from within..." (Wally Pleasant-- Houses of the Holy Moly) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:43:04 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA First off, I'd like to say that Dave wrote a very nice summary response to responses to his first post. Significant parts quoted, concise arguments... isn't this what we've all been asking for? In any case,... I believe the theory of "Strings turn off teens" for the unpopularity of S-E-X-X-Y and XTC Vs. Adam Ant has been quite debunked. So, instead, I offer up another argument, just to keep things lively :-) First off, I'd like to say that I like S-E-X-X-Y quite a bit, and I didn't like XTC Vs. Adam Ant all that much. My own personal original reason for disliking XVAA was because of the lyrics: to me, they weren't that imaginative ("I can't tell you why," "There is no right or wrong," "Only one will survive"). I thought They could've inserted any band names for the song. However, an interview with Flansburgh shed some light on how the song was thought up and how it was meant to be taken (i.e., a joke about '80's rock and how bands will be remembered). Also, because I've never heard an XTC or Adam Ant song, I decided to drop any opinion of the song. Musically, I don't have a problem with it at all. The strings are great. And the strings are wonderful in S-E-X-X-Y. Oh, and I'm 24, by the way. The reason I think fans don't like these two songs is the way they don't sound like a "typical" (ugh) TMBG song. One's a disco-type tune, the other's this metal-slanted rocker. Neither have lyrics bursting from it, as in "typical" (ugh) TMBG songs. Neither are about any of the "usual" (ugh) TMBG topics, whimsical, depressing, factual, or otherwise. One's about sex, the other's about '80's rock bands. Both are slow and do not make you bob up and down in your seat rapidly like a spring like "typical" (ugh) TMBG songs do (well, like they do for me, anyway). As entries into the TMBG repertoire, they are somewhat off-kilter and "unrepresentative" (ugh) of what a "typical" (ugh) fan expects from TMBG. I would like to say that these kinds of "Throw-you-off-guard" songs that TMBG writes are exactly the reason why I love TMBG. If They become predictable, I would be disappointed. In any case, that's a new theory for you and you tell me (and the list) if you think it's true. Remember (here goes (ugh) mandatory fan-boy song-quote): "There is no right or wrong." :-) ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-309 ******************************