Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 31 Wednesday, 31 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-30 you guys are dumb. whine a plea for help! Re: you guys are dumb. wannabe giants Re: you know.. Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: you guys are dumb. Re: TMBG on the radio Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: Ana Ng RE: Ana Ang Re: you guys are dumb. Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: you guys are dumb. Ana Ng TMBG Rarities CD i bet you they won't play... Re: you guys are dumb. Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Re: you guys are dumb. resurrect Alice Re: don't eat metal. Re: resurrect Alice could it be true? Confusing the Ana Ng Thread... Re: resurrect Alice perpendicularity explained ! Re: you guys are dumb. Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! need help! Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! i agree with matt. Re: resurrect Alice Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! name for... ana ng interp. Re: resurrect Alice Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: don't eat metal. Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: don't eat metal. Re: resurrect Alice Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:35:22 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-30 Umm, not too sound snotty here, and its most likely that all of you, or most of you already know this, because I 'm sure you all read who wrote what on every album even before you listent o the very first song, right? Everyone who is calling "ISTAMBUL" a Giants song, and referring to other versions of it as 'remakes" of a Giants song are dead wrong. WHen the GIants did it,it was a remake too. Now, please don't flame me with a bunch of DUH"S. BUt it just appears that some people may not be aware of that. Of course, it is one of the coolest songs they ever rercorded, and I would listen to it over and over agian. Truth is, its a remake of an old song from the '20's, and I can't remember now who origionally wrote or recorded it, but I have heard a 1940's version with BING CROSBEY singing the song, too. Crazy. So, it ain't the Giants' song, but They definately made it more fun! Okay, I'll shut up my big, bossy, elderly, bla bla bla mouth now. xxoo Miss Joni (who, if you haven't noticed NEVER CHECKS HER SPELLING and is a ROTTEN TYPIST!!!) ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: you guys are dumb. Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 07:36:00 PST No offence meant serioulsy. I few days ago some one was saying about how Ana NG lived in China or Vietnam. Well she doesn't. Me and my bud Ken Sinder looked at a globe and oposite of NY is THE INDIAN OCEAN. Maybe he was dating a mermaid or something, but it kind of foils your little explication of it. SORRY ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 10:33:38 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: whine hello all. i'm sorry, but i'm going to have to whine for a minute. does anyone else have this problem where half of some people's messages get cut off? it is a sad thing to miss out on what people are saying, and it seems kind of random--some messages do it, some dont. is there some way to fix it? in search of the rest of it, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: CK8@JAGUAR.UOFS.EDU Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:05:45 -0500 (EST) Subject: a plea for help! Hi guys! I'm sending out a plea for help. I know this is a long shot, but here goes.... my roommate and I (cortney) are here at school in Scranton, Pennsylvania. TMBGiants are playing this Saturday (Feb. 3rd) at RIT in Rochester, NY. I can get tix for the show for only $5, but there's a catch - bus tickets are *$80!* (too rich for my blood!) and there's not a ride to be found, so....(here's where the begging part comes in!) Is there anyone out there from the Scranton/Willkes-Barre area (or anywhere!) who is trekking up to Rochester for the show who could possibly give us a lift? We'll chip in for gas, etc. and bring along cool driving music!!!! 8 ) If you can help (or know of anyone who can, please email me at: ck8@jaguar.uofs.edu Thanks a bunch! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:46:55 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: you guys are dumb. Ok, maybe Ana IS a mermaid. We never quite ruled that out. However, there is no set location for the singer; he doesn't have to be in NY. In fact, I doubt whether the singer is even in the US. As an irritating mathie, if the gun was _|_ to the globe, (a neat trick - since the surface of the globe is rounded, the gun was perpendicular to the tangent line on that spot on the slobe, aka the normal line, but it doesn't sound as musical as perpendicular, and fewer know what it means (: ) it would come out directly on the opposite L&L in opposite hemispheres. Therefore, it is only logical that the singer is in S. America. I don't know what country; I don't own a globe, or a gun to hold perpendicular (or normal) to it. Yes, I am this irritating in real life. Damn Math Major! It makes me dull beyond human comprehension!!!! Luv to all, 'Nette, _|_ to her chair ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:55:35 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: wannabe giants I also like the idea of recording our own songs and making a tape. I think that we should ourselves choose what we play, however. Some things are just impossible to do solo on the accordian. Liam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:08:50 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: you know.. Re: The Fake World I think you must be mistaken, the show is called "The Real World" because it is, this is stuff that actually happens in real life! So what if everyone in the apartment has an alternative occupation, that doesn't make it any less real! Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:19:45 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too So what you're saying is that this tape is only going to have three songs on it? Why don't you just let people record whatever song they want and just make a compilitation of it all? Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > Okay. Here's the idea, stolen from other people on the list. If you > play an instrument, sing, or beat things with sticks, pay attention. > > Introducing We Wanna Be Giants, Too > the soon to be made tape of TMBG songs as covered by a bunch of people on > this list. Here's how it works: > > #1 - VOTE for three songs that you'd like to cover by Them. E'mail it > directly to lebo@locke.ccil.org before 2/12/96 > > #2 - after I post the top three voted songs, strap on your headphones, > turn on your tape recorder, and tape yourself playing any of the songs. > > #3 - send the tape you made to > > Mike Lebovitz > PO Box 1066 > Frazer, PA 19355 > > #4 - I'll combine everything together, mix it down, etc. and mail you the > finished product whenever I finish.... so include a return address. > > and that'll be it. Vote, tape, mail, wait. Four simple steps. It'll be > cool, I swear. > > > In order to aviod conflicts in key signatures and tempos, listen > to the song in question as you record. > > questions, comments, lawsuits... lebo@locke.ccil.org > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 12:36:59 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: you guys are dumb. >I doubt whether the singer is even in the US. As an irritating mathie, if >the gun was _|_ to the globe, (a neat trick - since the surface of the >globe is rounded, the gun was perpendicular to the tangent line on that >spot on the slobe, aka the normal line, but it doesn't sound as musical >as perpendicular, and fewer know what it means (: ) it would come out Ahh, but the gun is _|_ to the *name* of the town on the globe. The name would roughly describe a curve in R^3, but may not be written straight across the surface of the globe--it may curve across it. So, since the gun is _|_ to this curve, it could come out in an infinite number of places on the other side of the globe. Pretty neat, huh? I agree. Math majors *are* irritating. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:37:30 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: TMBG on the radio There is a station out of Tuscola/Champaign-Urbana Illinos (not related with the University in any way) that plays TMBG on a very regular basis. Also, they don't just play the popular ones like Instanbul or Particle Man...they play from, Everything Right Is Wrong again to SenSurround to The End of the Tour. The station is called The Web. "Hey Kenneth! What's the frequency?" "Dan, it's 93.5 FM, now go do your newscast!" (My apologies to REM...but not Dan Rather) You can look at their Home Page at http://www.webxfm.com Also, the guys (Jay and Jocko Hedblade) there host the sydicated show, Superthriller Radio that I know is it least being played on WCBR 92.7? FM in Chicago. The Superthriller Home Page is http://www.superthrill.com. This station also plays other great music like The Rugburns, Moxy Fruvous , and the Suede Chain, among others. If you are ever in this area, take a listen. -- Mike "No, I don't have stock in this radio station." Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef/ Home of the See The Constellation Backward Messages -- Why does the sun shine?...I think it's some science thingy. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:50:13 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Joey Riehle wrote: > So what you're saying is that this tape is only going to have three songs > on it? Why don't you just let people record whatever song they want and > just make a compilitation of it all? > > > Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) > > > On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > > Okay. Here's the idea, stolen from other people on the list. If you > > play an instrument, sing, or beat things with sticks, pay attention. > > > > Introducing We Wanna Be Giants, Too > > the soon to be made tape of TMBG songs as covered by a bunch of people on > > this list. Here's how it works: > > > > #1 - VOTE for three songs that you'd like to cover by Them. E'mail it > > directly to lebo@locke.ccil.org before 2/12/96 > > > > #2 - after I post the top three voted songs, strap on your headphones, > > turn on your tape recorder, and tape yourself playing any of the songs. > > > > #3 - send the tape you made to > > > > Mike Lebovitz > > PO Box 1066 > > Frazer, PA 19355 > > > > #4 - I'll combine everything together, mix it down, etc. and mail you the > > finished product whenever I finish.... so include a return address. > > > > and that'll be it. Vote, tape, mail, wait. Four simple steps. It'll be > > cool, I swear. > > > > > > In order to aviod conflicts in key signatures and tempos, listen > > to the song in question as you record. > > > > questions, comments, lawsuits... lebo@locke.ccil.org > > > > > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? erk (gaucho@main.com) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:00:02 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: Re: Ana Ng I have a confession. I was at the '64 world's fair at the DuPont pavilion. It was my mom's rear that left the seat warm, Not Ana's. I was lost, and she was waiting for me. I'm sorry for all the trouble this has caused... ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 11:53:41 MST Subject: RE: Ana Ang Hey everybody. I've been following the Ana Ng discussion with a great deal of interest. My $0.02: In the song Ana Ng, the gun is not to be fired perpendicular to the surface of the earth, but perpendicular to the earth's axis of rotation. If fired from New York, that would put the exit wound somewhere in China. Of course, the water DOESN'T spiral out the wrong way in China, but let's call that a bit of poetic license! ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 14:00:10 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: you guys are dumb. On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >I doubt whether the singer is even in the US. As an irritating mathie, if > >the gun was _|_ to the globe, (a neat trick - since the surface of the > >globe is rounded, the gun was perpendicular to the tangent line on that > >spot on the slobe, aka the normal line, but it doesn't sound as musical > >as perpendicular, and fewer know what it means (: ) it would come out > > Ahh, but the gun is _|_ to the *name* of the town on the globe. The name > would roughly describe a curve in R^3, but may not be written straight > across the surface of the globe--it may curve across it. So, since the gun > is _|_ to this curve, it could come out in an infinite number of places on > the other side of the globe. Pretty neat, huh? > > I agree. Math majors *are* irritating. :-) But still; since "the name of this town" is on a curve, wouldn't the gun be _|_ to the tangent line of that curve touching it at That Particular Point? Lines even straighter than his spine, (which is fine) 'Nette ps I know I'm irritating, I practice it! ;) ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:05:46 -0600 (CST) From: Jenny Klauke Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a > great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative > than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? > Well. That's nicely opinionated. But in a weird way, I kind of agree. So, I've got another suggestion. I know that I'm only semi-musically inclined, but I've written some giant-esque lyrics. Like a folksy-type song about roadkill. But we could do that. Not that song, I mean, but with all of the "talent" we've got, we could probably write a song and find some way to perform it. Maybe. Or not. I don't know. -Jenny, who always manages to negate herself. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 14:06:52 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a > great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative > than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? > > erk > (gaucho@main.com) > > I believe the idea of listening to the cd is just to get tempos and keys accurate: the original idea was for each to cover one track (piano, accordian, vocals, etc.), mail them in, and mix the tracks together so that you have all these people who have never even been in the same room together performing the song as one. This is also why there are only three or four songs; too many and we may not get all of the tracks to finish any of them! However, the idea of individual groups covering or performing their own interp of one of the songs would be cool, too. Perhaps what we want here, is TWO tapes; one with the mix of everyone from across the list, another with cover bands (a "tribute" tape?) I've said too much already, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 14:27:27 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: you guys are dumb. >But still; since "the name of this town" is on a curve, wouldn't the gun >be _|_ to the tangent line of that curve touching it at That Particular >Point? AHH, you are correct, but that does not mean it is _|_ to the tangent plane of the *sphere* at this point. The name does not necessarily follow a great circle. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 14:32:15 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Ana Ng Look, I don't remember where I read this, but I think it was Linnell who looked at the globe and decided that if the person were across the world, the speaker would have to be in Peru. That is the official word on this. This thread is becoming a bit worn. It was real cute, etc, etc for the first couple days, but it's gotten a bit lame. Thanks. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: TMBG Rarities CD Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 12:10:00 PST Another up date from brenden: I need the written consent of the band. So I will E-mail out a thing that you guys can print off. Then the nect time you see TMBG , (at a concert), you can give it to them. They could then sign it, or refuse , and then mail it to me. I will get the paper out tomorrow. If you have replies don't send it through the mailing list. Send it to. Brensink@bhs3.bham.wednet.edu thanx BR and the vegetable for the day is.......................(drum roll).............................POTATOES!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 14:40:03 -0600 (CST) From: The Lizard Lounge Subject: i bet you they won't play... in dfw tx area we have a station that was pretty cool way back 3 1/2 to 4 years ago. they hosted a tmbg concert and had them on the radio just before hand where They played House of the Rising Sun (if i'm wrong kill me now, paul and jason...). nifty. the radio station used to have a game called "trivia from hell", and one time my friends and i were saying, wouldn't it be funny if it were about tmbg and the question was, "who sings the song, We're The Replacements?" (no, the caller did not answer correctly, but the voice of persephone sure did want to call in...) just my trivial addition to the regretting-that-we-have-no-Giantly-good-radio-stations thread... all for the fingertips-your-own-way recordings, CatHead Longenbaugh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:01:49 -0500 Subject: Re: you guys are dumb. From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Jan 30, 1996 12:36:59, 'jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer)' wrote: >Ahh, but the gun is _|_ to the *name* of the town on the globe. The name >would roughly describe a curve in R^3, but may not be written straight >across the surface of the globe--it may curve across it. So, since the gun >is _|_ to this curve, it could come out in an infinite number of places on >the other side of the globe. Pretty neat, huh? > >I agree. Math majors *are* irritating. :-) Now this is an explanation I can handle... But I have to disagree I kinda like math majors... -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:07:23 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! At 03:05 PM 1/29/96 -0800, you wrote: > >Hey all-- > > > I just recently got the minidisc of "Don't Let's Start" and the >record version of Their Pink Album!!! I am so happy! > > AHEM! THE BIG BLUE DOG ALBUM, YOU MEAN!!!!!!!! BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:04:51 -0500 Subject: Re: you guys are dumb. From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Jan 30, 1996 14:00:10, '"'Nette Frost" ' wrote: >But still; since "the name of this town" is on a curve, wouldn't the gun >be _|_ to the tangent line of that curve touching it at That Particular >Point? Ahh but this would all depend on which point you mean. Do you mean the point where the singer is, or maybe a particular point in the name of the town? -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:12:06 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: resurrect Alice Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake (punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace and in the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back To Skull girl, Alice. To the fellow U of I student...I heard Your Racist Friend on the WEB a few weeks back... (by the way, do you know what that song is about some hooker on Raspberry street that they seem to play constantly?) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:59:07 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: don't eat metal. > > i really like lebo's idea about recording and compiling a tape of > different members/groups of the list doing songs, but i have an idea that > we can either run with or ditch. we could assign the different segments of > the song "fingertips" to different groups, and then we could compile all > of the parts for one magnificent collaboratory "fingertips". > > yay or nay? > > aims. I'm for the idea too... it would make my life easier. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:02:51 -0600 (CST) From: Jenny Klauke Subject: Re: resurrect Alice On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Raoul the conqueror wrote: > Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for > refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake > (punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor > fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace > and in > the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back > To Skull girl, Alice. Oh, oh, oh. Happifying happiness! That would be groovy. Especially since it was me, and I _AM_ in Texas. I don't want to die!!! -Jenny, who's human and makes "mistakes...:)" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:48:54 -0600 From: paul the unraveller Subject: could it be true? ok, so here's what i was wondering. on the single for the guitar there's the song moving to the sun. then, one of the very next releases from Them was the single for why does the sun shine. so, do you think that they played moving to the sun and got really excited about the whole idea of the sun, then sought out and performed WDTSS? pondering paul... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:39:30 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Confusing the Ana Ng Thread... Just to confuse this overworn thread even further... "My apartment looks upside-down from there. Water spirals the wrong way out the sink..." So, in whose apartment does water spiral the wrong way, Ana Ng's, or the singer's? Who is to say which is the proper direction for water to spiral down the sink? Sorry, I just had to add to the absurdity... feel free to flame... ____________________________ Jenna Davis Dallas, TX jenna@onramp.net "I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space were it not that I have bad dreams." -From "Hamlet" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:45:06 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: resurrect Alice At 4:02 pm 1/30/96, Jenny Klauke wrote: >On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Raoul the conqueror wrote: > >> Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for >> refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake >> (punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor >> fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace >> and in >> the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back >> To Skull girl, Alice. > >Oh, oh, oh. Happifying happiness! That would be groovy. Especially >since it was me, and I _AM_ in Texas. I don't want to die!!! Personally, I think she looks more like an Alice than a Persephone. But that may just be a Texas thing... We don't know much about you nutty East Coast people... :) So, consider this my vote for Alice as well, since I wasn't on this list for the previous election. And I also vote that Jenny not be killed. TMBG fans are hard to find in Texas, believe me... Jenna Davis, Dallas, TX jenna@onramp.net "I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space were it not that I have bad dreams." -From "Hamlet" ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: perpendicularity explained ! Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:00:29 -0500 (EST) > > Ok, maybe Ana IS a mermaid. We never quite ruled that out. However, there Algebra is what a mermaid wears and Geometry is what a sappling says. That was a snippet of the conversation I had with my friend's dad. > is no set location for the singer; he doesn't have to be in NY. In fact, > I doubt whether the singer is even in the US. As an irritating mathie, if > the gun was _|_ to the globe, (a neat trick - since the surface of the > globe is rounded, the gun was perpendicular to the tangent line on that > spot on the slobe, aka the normal line, but it doesn't sound as musical > as perpendicular, and fewer know what it means (: ) it would come out > directly on the opposite L&L in opposite hemispheres. Therefore, it is > only logical that the singer is in S. America. I don't know what country; Tis true, we are thinking Peru. To the guy who said if the singer was in NYC then it would end up in the Indian Ocean, taht is true also but the person might be on an island! ahHA! The truth may be revealed. > I don't own a globe, or a gun to hold perpendicular (or normal) to it. You dno't own a globe?!? What kinda travesty of justice is this?? Everyone should have their globe for geography 8-) Mattius -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:23:12 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: you guys are dumb. On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Mr. Klaw wrote: > Ahh but this would all depend on which point you mean. > Do you mean the point where the singer is, or maybe a particular point in > the name of the town? The spot where the singer is is in a particular point in the name of the town. That's about it. :) 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 17:32:15 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, 'Nette Frost wrote: > > > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a > > great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative > > than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? > > > > erk > > (gaucho@main.com) > > > > > I believe the idea of listening to the cd is just to get tempos and keys > accurate: the original idea was for each to cover one track (piano, > accordian, vocals, etc.), mail them in, and mix the tracks together so > that you have all these people who have never even been in the same room > together performing the song as one. This is also why there are only > three or four songs; too many and we may not get all of the tracks to > finish any of them! > > However, the idea of individual groups covering or performing their own > interp of one of the songs would be cool, too. Perhaps what we want here, > is TWO tapes; one with the mix of everyone from across the list, another > with cover bands (a "tribute" tape?) > > I've said too much already, > 'Nette > there's already a tribute tape very near completion (in the very same vein as you have described above) which was organized thru the newsgroup. Its got like 20 or 30 bands, none of whom are very famous, covering songs of TMBG. look for it soon. erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 17:55:41 -0600 From: "James K. Polk" Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! >AHEM! THE BIG BLUE DOG ALBUM, YOU MEAN!!!!!!!! um, let's not start that again. it's worse than the ana ng thread. let's debate something other than that, like whether or not microwave poopcorn picks up radiant energy from the microwave it's cooked in, or something like that. paul ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:24:23 -0600 From: paul the unraveller Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! >>AHEM! THE BIG BLUE DOG ALBUM, YOU MEAN!!!!!!!! > > >um, let's not start that again. it's worse than the ana ng thread. let's >debate something other than that, like whether or not microwave poopcorn >picks up radiant energy from the microwave it's cooked in, or something like >that. the way i see it threads like this one and the ana ng ones are what this list is about. if you've noticed the list has been doing a higher volume of mail in the past few days, which is great. the conversation has picked up and has gotten interesting... so let threads go on forever... by the way, did anyone know that one of the johns is lactose intolerant...hahahahahahhaha paul who always desires high quantites of mail ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:30:44 -0600 (CST) From: Caroline Elizabeth Hanna Subject: need help! hello! i'm wondering if you any of you know what happened to doug zedler. he used to get this subscribtion when he went to school here, but he transfered away. just wondering if he's out there! if so... hi doug! if anybody else knows where he went... just write me. caroline@tamu.edu _________ "i am / _____ \ i am / / \ \ i am superman... \ \_____ / \ \ / and i can do anything" \ \____// \_____/ R.E.M. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:53:05 -0600 (CST) From: Jenny Klauke Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, James K. Polk wrote: > um, let's not start that again. it's worse than the ana ng thread. let's > debate something other than that, like whether or not microwave poopcorn > picks up radiant energy from the microwave it's cooked in, or something like > that. I've got a great thread for us to debate. It's a moral dilemna. You see, the radio station I work at has a 12" promotional copy of Ana Ng. It taunts me constantly from it's place on the shelf, and I've a notion to try and get my hands on it. As far as I can see, these are my options: A. Theft. Not the best option, as I try not to stray far from the 10 commandments, especially the part about my neighbor's wife or whoever. But I seriously doubt they'd even miss it, since the only albums they've got catalogued are the "rare" records, stuff I've mostly not heard of. B. Groveling. The programming director likes me. She calls me "homey," and asks me "What up, G?" I figure that's a good sign, and she might just let me have it, but if not, on a related note, there's C. Trade. The station doesn't have a copy of Lincoln on vinyl or cd, so I figure they'd be much better off with the whole album anyway. Ok, kids, it's up in the air. Tell me what you think. And stop talking about Ana. Oh, wait, I just asked a question about her song. Never mind. -Jenny, who's quite sure it smells like soup in here. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:56:58 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: i agree with matt. i find the brownsville mix very amusing. maybe i'm just rythym deficient, but i think the end of the brownsville mix is very reminiscent of the end of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer". i love Peter Gabriel. not as much as TMBG, but i still do. AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.... i just found out that my dad was actually at the Expo 67. it was during the summer, and he was a CAMP counselor, and he took his bunk there. coincidence? i think not. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 21:45:20 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: Re: resurrect Alice >> Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for >> refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake >> (punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor >> fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace >> and in >> the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back >> To Skull girl, Alice. > >Oh, oh, oh. Happifying happiness! That would be groovy. Especially >since it was me, and I _AM_ in Texas. I don't want to die!!! > >-Jenny, who's human and makes "mistakes...:)" nifty, since i always thought of her as alice in my mind too! it will stop me from being flamed for saying that... i agree with this! jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com I will deal with reality when reality can deal with me. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:46:51 -0500 Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! >let's >debate something other than that, like whether or not microwave poopcorn >picks up radiant energy from the microwave it's cooked in, or something like >that. Only if it's light popcorn... no stop! don't do it! :) ohhhh! I warned you but did you listen no! ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:48:27 -0500 Subject: name for... I've got this "little" TMBG web page on AOL and I'm about to expand it to another screenname as I've found it takes up 2/3 of the room on this one... the question is what do I call the screenname (all I've got is "TMWebSurf" and "TMBWebLand") it can only be ten digits long, just send your ideas directly to me- Ruprecht76@aol.com thank you...... [resistance is futile] er something ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 22:03:41 -0500 Subject: ana ng interp. well since everyone else is saying there's how 'bout mine... The song is about a guy named John..(either one..) who while at the '64 worlds fair as a child saw a beautiful chinese/vietnamese/whatever girl and fell instantly in love. He alludes to the fact that shes from another country with the first verse.. and the whole argument about which country she is from is moot considering "perpendicular" can be almost any point on the globe. He, like many others has fallen in love with a girl he'll never see again and really would never know at all. "the words i would say if there was a me for you" .. because of his shyness he never approached her.. "never walked in the glow of each other's magestic prescence".. then he goes on to talk about the experience as a whole at the fair.. "why was the bench still warm" whatever john wrote this is alluding to the fact that both of them were there.. but they hadn't met yet. And now years later he regrets his decision and wishes he could seek out Ana and be give a second chance to talk to her, "..we don't know anything" if he knew how he would feel years later he might've spoken to her.. It's has the basic message of don't let that girl/guy slip through your fingers because you're afraid or whatever..take advantage of what you can do today..because you might not get a second chance. as for the "i don't want the world...." it is the "bridge" of the song.. or it might just be another memory jumbled in with the visions of Ana and the fair.. well that's what i think.. and hey i've been wrong before... the plaguerat and to the guy that said to ask a real punk about Green Day... well after being to a few punk shows... the tend to kill jocks and people that listen to green day.... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 22:21:08 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: resurrect Alice On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, jenn wrote: > >> Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for > >> refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake > >> (punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor > >> fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace > >> and in > >> the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back > >> To Skull girl, Alice. > > > >Oh, oh, oh. Happifying happiness! That would be groovy. Especially > >since it was me, and I _AM_ in Texas. I don't want to die!!! > > > >-Jenny, who's human and makes "mistakes...:)" > > nifty, since i always thought of her as alice in my mind too! it will stop > me from being flamed for saying that... i agree with this! > > > jenn She looks like a 'Helen' or a 'Barb' to me...... 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:01:34 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Joey Riehle wrote: > So what you're saying is that this tape is only going to have three songs > on it? Why don't you just let people record whatever song they want and > just make a compilitation of it all? > > > Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) So far I've received over 20 votes. None of them are repeats. If everybody recorded a song of their choice, the resulting tape would be very very very long... and many of the tracks would just be solo people. My idea is that three songs are selected, everybody who can make music somehow records a different part (including background melodies, random percussion, etc.). Each tape that gets mailed to me becomes a different track, and the result is three songs featuring a lot of tracks. I hope that explains it.... ? lebo ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:13:22 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Change of plans! Both Erik and Joe pointed this out to me.... it'll most likely suck as I've planned it. Not only will it sound like the cd's, but it'll also be very noisy. SO! Scrap that last idea. Here's the new game plan: Send a tape of you playing a TMBG song in any fashion. Change the key, change the tempo... it doesn't matter. Make it a cover. I'll mix them down onto a tape; I'll try to use them all, but I can't promise if there's a whole bunch. Now, if you want to try the experiment by recording yourself playing one part as-is on the album (in hopes that someone else did the same thing and I can mix them down together), go for it. But, you don't have to. So, to sum it up. Record you playing a TMBG song. Mail it to Mike Lebovitz PO Box 1066 Frazer, PA 19355 (include a return address, and a blank tape if you're nice) Wait for the results. questions, comments, lawsuits - lebo@locke.ccil.org lebo ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 20:53:36 -0700 Subject: Re: don't eat metal. This came to me in a dream: (...and may therefore be a stupid blasphemous thought for which I do not hold myself accountable.) >> i really like lebo's idea about recording and compiling a tape of >> different members/groups of the list doing songs, but i have an idea that >> we can either run with or ditch. we could assign the different segments of >> the song "fingertips" to different groups, and then we could compile all >> of the parts for one magnificent collaboratory "fingertips". >> yay or nay? What if we finish Fingertips? Like make up 'The rest' of the songs:Adding to the previous collection to fill out the set into full-length songs in a mock-tmbg style. Yay or Nay? -Rabid Child ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:16:56 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, 'Nette Frost wrote: > > > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a > > great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative > > than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? > > > > erk > > (gaucho@main.com) > > > > > I believe the idea of listening to the cd is just to get tempos and keys > accurate: the original idea was for each to cover one track (piano, > accordian, vocals, etc.), mail them in, and mix the tracks together so > that you have all these people who have never even been in the same room > together performing the song as one. This is also why there are only > three or four songs; too many and we may not get all of the tracks to > finish any of them! THAT'S IT!!! 'Nette sais it better than I could ever try. That's the experiment I'm trying to conduct. If you want to do it, go for it. I encourage it! Do Fingertips! whatever. However, I'll also except solo projects. (thank you, 'Nette) lebo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 00:10:44 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: don't eat metal. On Tue, 30 Jan 1996 mdukelan@wyoming.com wrote: > What if we finish Fingertips? Like make up 'The rest' of the songs:Adding > to the previous collection to fill out the set into full-length songs in a > mock-tmbg style. > Yay or Nay? Erm...... how can we develop the rest of the epic snippet, "Please Pass the Milk (Please!)". Do they pass other things, too? ;) YAAAAAYYY!!! (uh, that's a yes for all those of you who weren't paying attention) Luv, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: resurrect Alice Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 01:34:53 -0500 (EST) > > At 4:02 pm 1/30/96, Jenny Klauke wrote: > >On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Raoul the conqueror wrote: > > > >> Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for > >> refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake > >> (punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor > >> fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace > >> and in > >> the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back > >> To Skull girl, Alice. > > > >Oh, oh, oh. Happifying happiness! That would be groovy. Especially > >since it was me, and I _AM_ in Texas. I don't want to die!!! > > Personally, I think she looks more like an Alice than a Persephone. But > that may just be a Texas thing... We don't know much about you nutty East > Coast people... :) > So, consider this my vote for Alice as well, since I wasn't on this list > for the previous election. And I also vote that Jenny not be killed. TMBG > fans are hard to find in Texas, believe me... I'm not sure I believe in this place called Texas, I've always heard about it but I just don't follow the silliness of the peoople there ;) Actually, I do think she does look a bit like an Alice and I'd like to vote that Jenny not be killed to cause she's a pretty swell gal. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-31 *****************************