Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-310 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 310 Tuesday, 12 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: tribute album by the fans TMBG: BDO 97 +BFF -TMBG TMBG: stuff I wrote TMBG: In response to the new TMBG album TMBG: Linnell's vision TMBG: TMBG on TV TMBG: Another Roseland Review! (Long) Re: TMBG: BDO 97 +BFF -TMBG TMBG: Posters TMBG: TMBG on TV TMBG: DIGESTED BOBA MAIL: Misc. T(hings) Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV and a TMBG fan sighting. Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision Re: TMBG: tribute album by the fans TMBG: This whole string thing TMBG: TMBG on Dr. Demento / Conan on Bootleg Vol. 2 TMBG: about strings Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV TMBG: Strings in rock and in TMBG TMBG: ROSELAND TMBG: Sci-Fi Songs Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV TMBG: Re: FS String Theory Re: TMBG: Posters Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y & XTCvsAA TMBG: First Album Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV TMBG: Linnell faking? TMBG: hours and eyes Re: TMBG: First Album Re: TMBG: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Re: TMBG: Shows BEFORE Idaho... TMBG: WTSR and a message to Joel TMBG: Digest 9/17/96 TMBG: Where in Atlanta on 12/8? (none) TMBG: shipping question Re: TMBG: Reviews Re: TMBG: First Album Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Re: TMBG: First Album TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Re: TMBG: Best album Re: TMBG: Linnell faking? Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision Re: TMBG: music TMBG: linnels vision---what have i started?? TMBG: recorded songs not on FS TMBG: TMBG in Chicago! Re: TMBG: First Album TMBG: Shtuff Re: TMBG: recorded songs not on FS Re: TMBG: Shtuff Re: TMBG: recorded songs not on FS TMBG: # for Live from NY and SEXXY single Re: TMBG: ROSELAND and Linnell-O-Scope TMBG: Re: Name of New Album TMBG: article TMBG: My Sickth Sense TMBG: Re: Electric observation Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Re: TMBG: First Album TMBG: Conan Coppies TMBG: Northern Cal Re: TMBG: Best album TMBG: Too Much Beef Gristle - My experiences at the Roseland show Re: TMBG: First Album TMBG: Live..! and S-E-X-X-Y promos Re: TMBG: My Sickth Sense TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-309 TMBG: 2nd try...sorry if this is twice Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Re: TMBG: # for Live from NY and SEXXY single Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Re: TMBG: Re: Electric observation TMBG: Pre-Chicago show party! (TBTw/TMBG) TMBG: Spy theme party before MILWAUKEE show Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 00:16:55 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: tribute album by the fans whatever happened to the tribute album idea? did it fizzle out? i would really like to do that. i play bari sax and keyboards and have already learned a lot of their songs. i also have a nasally voice that sounds a lot like flans. is anyone still interested? -j ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:34:03 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: BDO 97 +BFF -TMBG >playing in london. incidentally for anyone who cares, march was also the >response to my question about when they'd be in australia. i guess that >means they won't be at the bdo then. I CARE!!! Unlucky they won't be at the BDO, but atleast we'll have BFF... That'll make me VERY happy!!! Ad. +--------------+ | Ad | |Yeah and stuff| +--------------+ ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:32:03 -0500 Subject: TMBG: stuff I wrote Regarding Matthew Coon's post in the last digest: I should point out that stereotypes are all-encompassing. If I was to say "all old people are senile", that would be a stereotype. However, if I was to say "some old people are senile", that wouldn't be a stereotype. Some old people are, in fact, very senile. As for my original post implying a condescending tone, I happen to believe that when it comes to theories, the actual word should take precedence over the implied word, because what can be implied from a statement varies among person to person, unlike the actual word. SJL weighed in with this (and no, I'm not implying that you're fat): >Also, this kind of subject is not one where you can get results through >reason alone, as you said in this second post defending your first. What >percentages of what population like what music can only be known through >studies not just of you or your friends, but of a large percent of the population. If >you didn't do the study, don't post these blanket statements. Even in "theory". It's not a blanket statement, I think this should be obvious by now. Theories come before the studies. You study in order to prove the theory right or wrong. There's nothing wrong with hypothesising why some people might not like a song. I never said this could be proven by reason, I just said the theory was based on logic. J Chen's theory on the reason people dislike "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "S-E-X-X-Y" is a pretty good theory. It's similar to mine, only less specific (rather than singling out strings, he singles out the broader phrase "they're untypical songs"). That's why I like them (in addition to both having good melodies, as opposed to the pedestrian chorus and middle eight of "How Can I Sing Like Girl?"). The omnipresent Joshua Hall-Bachner sayeth: >But I must back him up that there *are* people on this list who don't give the music >enough of a chance -- as well as people who like it regardless of how good or bad it >may be. Yes, I agree. I see "Metal Detector" singled out in many people's posts and to me, it sounds more like older-style TMBG than "S-E-X-X-Y", (not singled out too often as a favorite) which moves into a more soulful 70's R&B orchestra groove which is unlike any of thir previous work. >Since I have corresponded with Dave quite a bit, I can guarantee that he is *not* a >rude or condescending person. I must comment, though, that going from the >Chalkhills list to this one is a bit of a culture shock. Chalkhills *is* far more mature >than this list -- and that's all there is to it. I'm glad someone took my post at face value and didn't imply things not mentioned in the text. Yes, the two lists are very different. The median age of Chalkhills is much higher, the posts generally are longer and the content more substantial and while the groups discussed in both lists share many fans, they don't share many list members who post to both lists. Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: In response to the new TMBG album Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:23:38 +1100 Sorry for the caps, but wouldn't this be a major thing? He said Then: was > coming out...and that superfueled was probably the 2nd or third project > in line...AND...that a new "real" album would be out by next summer... Umm, does that mean that it will be out next July or next Christmas?? The sooner, the better!! And do we really have to reply to any old pillock that sends general abuse on the list. Some people just love to shit stir, and from personal experience ignorance is the most effective measure!!!! And personally I wouldn't like to see any more listees take the same route as Bluedawg because of this bollocks!! I also loved the 'Statue got me high / 2001' theme!! Most ingenious. I think the FAQ actually has something about Flans saying it was about Don Juan - I wonder if there are any links between 2001 and Don Juan????? And they finally played S-E-X-X-Y on Australian radio (ala TripleJ) - unfortunately I only heard the advertising and missed out on the general review. I'll keep them posted as they come to hand though!! Cheers and beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:10:23 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Linnell's vision >I'm not certain whether anyone has mentioned this, but in addition >to the question of whether or not Linnell can see ANYTHING without >the aid of his rather serious-looking glasses, you should consider >the fact that, given the lights shining on you and the relative >darkness the crowd is in, it is often very difficult to see beyond >the edge of the stage at all. People in the immediate front may be >visible, but the jury's still out on whether Linnell can even see >TO the edge of the stage. When we were at the Taste of D.C. concert, about three rows back and in daylight, Linnell kept looking over at us; he was visibly amused by the broom. Of course, that doesn't mean anything more than he can see a bright red blob on a stick waving around ten feet from him. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "I want to raise my freak flag and never be alone." -tmbg ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:05:47 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on TV On Friday, around 4pm we stopped by the Roseland to see if we could pick up our "will-call" tickets early. Unfortunatly, we couldn't get the tickets but there were two groups of people with cameras standing outside on the sidewalk. The security guard calling out from the door asked them where they were from. the one guy responded with his company's name and I didn't recognize it. The other guy said he was with the Sci-Fi Channel. When he turned around I asked him what the Sci-Fi channel was doing filming a TMBG concert. He mentioned he was filming for a show called "Inside Space" which airs on Friday nights and Sunday mornings. They were going to include TMBG in one of their shows since THEY were into space and because THEY use several space related subjects in their songs. He mentioned it probably won't air until late in the year or early next year. He apologized for not knowing and was very nice. If anyone hears anymore details, please post them. I would love to see how they incorporate TMBG and the Roseland concert into their show. I guess I smell a new thread coming - What are all the Space-related subjects TMBG uses in their songs? I'll start. The Guitar "In the spaceship the silver spaceship..." Erik ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:09:28 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Another Roseland Review! (Long) I too was at the Roseland show on Friday. I picked up a Tour 2040 t-shirt on the way in (they are even cooler than thay look in the info club catalog). We were about 30th in line and we got to stand in the front row on the side by Mr. Maby. Time seemed to move pretty fast. Cub came out and did a pretty good set. Cub is a good opening act for them. Someone mentioned the sound wasn't that great. I agree, if I hadn't known the lyrics to NYC I wouldn't have recognized it. They tennis racket thing was pretty cool. After the set I talked to guy who played it and he said another guy "invented" it and Cub asked him to play it. He doesn't tour with them or have any other connection (other than meeting them somewhere in the NW US/ SW Canada), just this one night stand. Lucky guy. I talked with the drummer - I think (the one filming the show) - while Magnetic Fields was playing and I asked her if she had known that had TMBG covered their NYC song and she said "No" and she hadn't heard it before the FS album was out. I said it must have been pretty cool listening to the radio or a CD and this song comes on that you wrote and play. She laughed and shook her head "yes" and then went back to filming. Magnetic Fields was ok. The lead singer definitly had an attitude which I don't mind I they were really good. IMHO, they were just ok, so he should get off it. But their set didn't last too long so that was good. TMBG came out about 10pm. The crowd was psyched. I got a setlist after the show (yoo-hoo!) so I'll list what is on it. Notice the one song they didn't play: SPIDER - a little bit different version BIRD - they seemed into it for a change /SUN - it got the whole place bouncing PET NAME - really, really good POLK - faster version SING - pretty good PARTICLE MAN - alot of fun XTC - the guitars were great (especially Eric) /EXQ - couldn't touch the puppet heads, they were too high. SLEEP - This seemed to really wake up the crowd ACTUAL - this was a shocker, upbeat version of the original SNAIL - I like this song live more than the album version, I don't know why SPY - only the band did the improve until the very end. It was pretty good. TWIST - the whole place was jumping METAL - the sound on this song live is great OLDER - I, as did most of the crowd, hadn't heard it before. Nice addition. /NYQIL - for me the song is a little tired but they still did a good job on it (NO stayin') - No, they didn't play Staying Alive? Bummer? - I'm not sure. /ANA - another shocker and rocker SEXXY - not a big surprise here NO ONE - unfortunately no conga line - definite downer but it still jammed INTRO - they introduced two members at a time and they each did a little solo TIL - really rocked ----- ISTAN - I guess this has become a great tradition with birdhouse THE GUITAR - still a killer song live DIG - had the place going crazy ----- ENSOR - on the list but they didn't play it. :( LOST - first time I heard it - good song but kinda of left me hanging I'm not sure of any other deviations from the list. Overall, they were great but it was an awfully short show 1 hr 25 minutes for the opening show of the new tour. They were very enthusiastic and I guess may have been drained from the energetic show they did give. We got to talk with Brain and Eric after the show. They were both extremely friendly. I would have liked to have talked with Graham. this is the fourth time I have seen him play 2 shows with Joe Jackson - 2 with TMBG. Well this post is way too long as it is and I have to go. Peace. Erik ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:10:25 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: BDO 97 +BFF -TMBG On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:34:03 +1100 Very Fruity Indeed wrote: > From: Very Fruity Indeed > Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:34:03 +1100 > Subject: TMBG: BDO 97 +BFF -TMBG > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > > >playing in london. WHAT'S THIS???????????????????IS THERE SOMETHING i HAVE MISSED??? > Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:14:24 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (cyberguy) Subject: TMBG: Posters I have yet to find any They posters. Does anyone know where I can find some? Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:20:34 -0500 (EST) From: John Murray Subject: TMBG: TMBG on TV Erik J. Chuss writes: [Stuff About the Sci-Fi Chanel using TMBG on Inside Space] > I guess I smell a new thread coming - > > What are all the Space-related subjects TMBG uses in their songs? I'll start. > The Guitar "In the spaceship the silver spaceship..." Why Does the Sun Shine? This song was probaly the main reason for the Sci-Fi Chanel instrest. Of course space is mentioned in pleny other TMBG songs: Destiantion Moon See the Constalation and probally some more. ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:32:42 EST Subject: TMBG: DIGESTED BOBA MAIL: Misc. T(hings) On Strings: I really like the string parts on S-E-X-X-Y. Me and brother jam to that tune all the time, it's hard with having that wicked string section come in. On Cleveland, 12/4/96: I'll Be there. I ook forward to meeting other listies, and seeing good friend Amy G. there! Oh yeah, John & John will be there too. On Linnell looking at you: I've performed in a couple of theatre shows, I was always told to look out into the audience, which to me was a large black plane, and my mom said I looked her in the eyes during the whole show. This is probably precisely Linnell's thing. On TMBG at Walmart: I saw FS at Walmart recently, I took all of the copies and put them in the front of the racks, probably pissing of who was working at the time, because they have to reset all mislaid merchandise! On tape requests: I've noticed that alot of people have been writing to the list lately asking for one thing or another, if anyone is interested, BOBA's BOOTS is open 24-7, exept on Christmas :-) check it out in my .sig file. Off Topic Comic Sale: If anyone is remotely interested, I have a ton of Spider-Man Comics in good condition really cheap prices. I used to collect but don't anymore. If you have any interest, please e-mail me privately. That's about it. Boba Out. -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Ignore the mountain of discarded falderal" - TMBG boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:34:24 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV and a TMBG fan sighting. >He mentioned it probably won't air until late in the year or early next year. >He apologized for not knowing and was very nice. My friend who went to the MST3K convention last summer all had nice things to say about the Sci-Fi people. Hmmm. I wonder why... >What are all the Space-related subjects TMBG uses in their songs? I'll start. >The Guitar "In the spaceship the silver spaceship..." Well, certainly, there is "See The Constellation," which I mention, as obvious as it is, because it fits into a previous thread. How so?, you say. Well, it describes me, on a very superficial level, because I am always dressed in black. (Although it was 2 and a half years ago when I moved from my town to the great city of New York.) I had an interesting experience yesterday... I walked out of the NYU library and a nice person who saw me on my way out said, "Hey, didn't I see you at They Might Be Giants at Roseland?" And, as it turned out, I had seen her there, as well. This is the second time this has happened at school... Kind of freaky considering the massive size of NYU. Love, Brooks, who listened solely to operas and oratorios and Johnny Cash until she was 10 years old. ("You say I'm freaky, but I know I'm not...") ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:35:41 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Nov-96 TMBG: Linnell's vision by "Mr. Horrible"@foo.org > When we were at the Taste of D.C. concert, about three rows back and in > daylight, Linnell kept looking over at us; he was visibly amused by the > broom. Of course, that doesn't mean anything more than he can see a bright > red blob on a stick waving around ten feet from him. He can clearly read small printed text 5 feet 10 inches in front of him. This means he can probably make out a broom about 10 feet away. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:29:23 -0500 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: TMBG: tribute album by the fans PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu wrote: > > whatever happened to the tribute album idea? did it fizzle out? i would really > like to do that. i play bari sax and keyboards and have already learned a lot > of their songs. i also have a nasally voice that sounds a lot like flans. > is anyone still interested? > -j I was thinking of this just the other day. I'd like to volunteer to organize this project if enough people are interested. If you are, please e-mail me personally and let me know. I've contributed to tribute albums on other mailing lists and they usually turn out to be pretty neat. Except one time, this guy didn't send me a song. Instead, he sent me a death threat and a manilla envelope full of bloody nails. Regardless, I'd like to do it again! john ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:47:00 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: This whole string thing >Massive, no. Several people, yes. There is a significant differance. I agree, but, if you noticed, a large portion of these past few days postings have been in response to this subject. Three or for people disagreeingout of maybe six or seven posting is a fairly large percent... >Certainly, I'm defensive. Why bother posting to the list if you're not >prepared to defend your post? HERE HERE! All of the messages that were written saying "nobody substantiates their arguments" "nobody defends what they say". Well, lets show them how its done, WITHOUT flames :) SJL ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Mon, 11 Nov 96 09:31:07 MST Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Dr. Demento / Conan on Bootleg Vol. 2 Hello, Hello Dr. Demento played "I Can Hear You" from Factory Showroom on his national show last night. That would be the first time he's played anything from FS. The show was taped October 13th, the first week of the album's release. Here are his comments: "... I wanna sneak in a track from the new CD by They Might Be Giants. The CD's called Factory Showroom. Now, most of this CD is very modern music, very state-of-the-art. In fact, it's more sonically ambitious, if anything, than the previous They Might Be Giants releases. But it does have one track, which was actually recorded on a wax cylinder recorder, made in 1898. And it was recorded at the Thomas Edison national historic site and museum in New Jersey. Even has an announcement at the beginning, the way many records did, back then in 1898. Let's listen! I Can Hear You by They Might Be Giants, it's on their new CD, and it was recorded on a machine built in 1898. Now that is, however, not the first newly recorded 1996 release to feature a recording made on a wax cylinder. Anybody remember what the earlier one is? We've played it on the show. I'll tell you after the news." BTW, I have an excellent copy of the TMBG appearance on Conan from last week, and it WILL be on the TMBG Video Bootleg, Vol. 2, which is still in the works. Really. I promise. It should even be better that Vol. 1! Check out my web page for more info. If you have some good quality videos of TMBG appearances, please write me and let me know what you have. Some of the stuff I have are n-th generation copies, and I'd like to get better ones for my master tape. Also if you have corrections for my master list of video appearances on: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbgtv.htm please send them to me, too. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:52:24 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: about strings Organization: West Virginia Network what are we defining strings as??? if we dare say that a "violin" is a string than someones arguement is blasted out of the water because country music, which has more stations in the us than any other genre uses strings frequently and kids love it. now i agree with the pople who say not everyone likes strings regardless of age. i pesonally like them to an extent. (a father who is a music profressor couldnt hurt) and my personal favorite is the electric violin concert i attended. dont say some of us dont like it because some of you dont like it either. some of everyone dont like it. sam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:03:36 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, John Murray wrote: > This song was probaly the main reason for the Sci-Fi Chanel instrest. > Of course space is mentioned in pleny other TMBG songs: > > Destiantion Moon > See the Constalation > and probally some more. hehe..."For Science" S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:18:46 -0600 From: mjs087@nwu.edu (Matthew Springer) Subject: TMBG: Strings in rock and in TMBG >You are confusing two different issues. Strings have never been important >in the genre of rock music. One could argue that brass and woodwinds are >also "classical" instruments, and yet many, many teenagers are listening >to music right now which is dominated by these instruments. I doubt that >it is because they think woodwinds are "cool" or because they spend there >free time playing air-trumpet. These instruments are much more closely >associated with the history of the genre, however, and that may be why >they tend to dominate over strings in rock music. It has little to do with >age stereotypes or generation gaps, though. I need to take issue with some of these comments. Personally, I think strings have ALWAYS been important in rock. From the Beatles and Phil Spector, down through Elton John and Bruce Springsteen, to Smashing Pumpkins (who apply them liberally, from what I've heard) and even that "Glycerine" song. If it's not something used once just as some kind of experiment or pretentious attempt to seem more "legitimate," then it can actually be an important part of the music. Me, I admire TMBG for using strings so liberally on FS, instead of on only one or two songs; I think the strings add to the songs in ways I never could have imagined. When I heard "XTC vs. Adam Ant" at their Northwestern show last spring, I never could have predicted that it would feature strings on the album...yet it works. so are the strings a central player in TMBG music? NO. But I think they're used to suprisingly strong effect throughout FS, and I like the role they play. Matt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us because they don't deserve us" --Elvis Costello, ".....And In Every Home" Matthew Springer mjs087@nwu.edu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: "Christina Doyle" Organization: Manhattan College, Riverdale N.Y. Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:23:03 EST5EDT Subject: TMBG: ROSELAND Hey everyone! This is my first post (I've only been on the list for a few weeks), and I just wanted to add my thoughts about the Roseland show. It was great! Unfortunately, I did not run into anyone from the list, but there's always the February show. I did not really like Cub or Magnetic Field (although I did not heckle them as others did!). I was disappointed that They did not play Shoehorn with Teeth or They'll Need a Crane, but I loved everything that They did play. I had never heard Time Marches On or They Got Lost, so that was fun. In regards to what Erik wrote, there was a conga line during NOKMP, but the crowd started it themselves. That was one thing I noticed about this concert--John and John didn't really interact with the audience as much as usual. Nonetheless, it was a terrific show. (Random Fact--Linnell was wearing the same Parthenon shirt that he wore when I saw Them at The Academy in April '95--I got a kick out of that). I loved seeing Andy Richter there, but could not understand why anyone could think he sucks! Well, I hope everyone there enjoyed the concert. Talk to you later! Love, Christina ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:33:23 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG: Sci-Fi Songs >> This song was probaly the main reason for the Sci-Fi Chanel instrest. >> Of course space is mentioned in pleny other TMBG songs: OK, here's my attempt at a complete list. Space/Science Songs by TMBG: 1) The World's Address 2) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon 3) For Science 4) Apollo 8 (album) 5) Mammal 6) The Guitar 7) Dinner Bell 8) See the Constellation 9) Space Suit 10) Moving to the Sun 11) Why Does the Sun Shine? 12) Destination Moon 13) S-E-X-X-Y (depending on your interp) 14) Become a Robot Mono Puff: 15) What Bothers the Spaceman? (Yes, I know it's about baseball) 16) To Serve Mankind 17) Tryptophan -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:10:50 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV BlueDawg wrote: > > On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, John Murray wrote: > > > This song was probaly the main reason for the Sci-Fi Chanel instrest. > > Of course space is mentioned in pleny other TMBG songs: > > > > Destiantion Moon > > See the Constalation > > and probally some more. > > hehe..."For Science" > > S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net > Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ > ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you > want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled > with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa Also on Apollo 18 (notice the name) somewhere on the cover it says -Official musicians of something having to do with space-(I don't have mine with me right now so its a very very loose paraphrase) Check it out though, its there. -- "Man is in love and loves what vanishes, What more is there to say?" -- W. B. Yeats ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:19:25 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Re: FS String Theory Tenman coming right back atcha with another brilliant message! ;) When I first read Dave's post concerning people not liking parts of FS because of the high string content, I was very surprised. Those that had voiced their dislike of They's 13 new Ideal Tunes had specific reasons for their opinions. For example, I remember one of the major reasons was the presence of so many 'useless' guitar solos in place of maybe more original types of music. Also, I think lack of accordian, horns, & as much witty wordplay were also reasons sited for not liking the new songs. Dave's theory tried to explain a phenomonon that the people involved had already entirely explained. That's why it threw me, was because those that didn't like FS had already explained why, & the fact that strings were now included really wasn't much of an issue. I don't see any evidence supporting Dave's post at all, it just seems to be a random attempt to decribe a phenomonon that was already explained. I think those that actually dislike the album should be the ones that can best say why they do dislike it. I don't remember many mentioning that overuse of strings was a reason they disliked the album. Also, I would imagine that TmBg fans, both young & old would be more likely to like the string arrangements than many teens & adults in our society, because of the fact that They play so many instruments at various times already, & being a They fan one is usually being the type that likes many different styles of music. Personally, I have not really gotten into classical music as of yet, I hope to one day, but I just don't have the money to get into it now. I thought the strings on FS were one of it's many redeeming qualities, I'm very happy that They chose to include so many, & I really don't miss the horns (I do, however, miss the accordian). But They are definitely in a new groove these days, it's a lot more stringy, & a lot less horny ('cept maybe on sexxy ;) I love They's new work, & I believe FS is an amazing step in the right direction. Oh, & I also won in the SonicNet Flans chat, although I don't know _what_ I've won. Here's hoping for lots of Brand Spanking New They in '97!! Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" They're the best thing since Canned Roses! 'Course the best thing before Canned Roses was Real Turnips, but don't blame me! ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:25:59 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Posters Interesting thing about posters... You see them in the strangest places... Like a NICKELODIAN SHOW?!?!?! If you watch Clarissa Explains it All on Nick you might see the FLOOD poster next to her bed or the pic of the johns near her door... Keep an eye out! Besides the John Hanry Cover Art Poster available from the catalog.. I don't know where you could get ANY posters of They... THE STATUE GETS ME HIGH-Tim ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:02:31 EST On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:10:23 +0500 "Mr. Horrible" writes: >>I'm not certain whether anyone has mentioned this, but in addition >>to the question of whether or not Linnell can see ANYTHING without >>the aid of his rather serious-looking glasses, you should consider >>the fact that, given the lights shining on you and the relative >>darkness the crowd is in, it is often very difficult to see beyond >>the edge of the stage at all. People in the immediate front may be >>visible, but the jury's still out on whether Linnell can even see >>TO the edge of the stage. > >When we were at the Taste of D.C. concert, about three rows back and >in >daylight, Linnell kept looking over at us; he was visibly amused by >the >broom. Of course, that doesn't mean anything more than he can see a >bright >red blob on a stick waving around ten feet from him. > Maybe Linnell wears contacts. Does anyone know if Linnell's vision is really bad? Just wondering because I haven't really seen him in his serious looking glasses:). Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:42:32 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y & XTCvsAA SaluT! My take on Sexxy & XTC: I Love S~E~X~X~Y, but I find it very difficult to say why. I love pretty much all of the sounds that it is comprised of, I love the strings, I love that funk sound, & I think the lyrics are swell. My primary Problem with the studio take is that it is way to slow for its true Fun-Factor to show through. I _LOVED_ the Conan performance, & hope to get a taped copy someday, maybe from the TmBg BootLeg Vol. 2. To me, it does sound like a They song. Just as much as Famous Polka, Stomp Box, Absolutely Bill's Mood, & Kiss Me, Son of God. A good chunk of Their brilliance comes from Their ability to work with practically any music style. S~E~X~X~Y is merely another piece of the growing TmBg stylistic puzzle, & I love it:) XTCvsAA is a little boring compared to most other TmBg songs at first glance, but I have really begun to respect it recently. The strings give it a really interesting flavor, & those neat sounds at the end that lead into Spiraling Shape are unbelievably cool & original. I think it's not the greatest TmBg tune, but has some very interesting qualities that shouldn't be ignored. For Mark, who asked about fave TmBg albums & FS: My liking, from #1 to #7: Apollo\TmBg(Pink)\Lincoln\FS\Flood\MiscT\JH Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" They're the best thing since Canned Roses! 'Course the best thing before Canned Roses was Real Turnips, but don't blame me! ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:43:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: First Album Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... I call it The Big Blue Dog Some call it The Pink Album Others call it Self Titled Album Still others call it They Might Be Giants (including the head of the FAQ) So what about YOU!???!?!?! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on TV From: fdp@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:53:45 EST >I guess I smell a new thread coming - > >What are all the Space-related subjects TMBG uses in their songs? I'll >start. >The Guitar "In the spaceship the silver spaceship..." This is probably destined to be a short-lived thread, but: There's the name of the Apollo 18 album; The Statue Got Me High (2001 interp); She's Actual Size ("buildings tumble, the ground opens wide, light beams down from heaven"); Space Suit; See The Constellation; Destination Moon; She's An Angel ("I heard they had a space program"); Why Does The Sun Shine?; I could probably list more, but my Big Blue Dog/Lincoln dub tape is out in my car, and it's 25 degrees F outside. fdp@juno.com, omaha@tmbg.org Tim Lloyd random TMBG quote: "Glass of milk, standing in between extinction in the cold and explosive radiating growth." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:11:01 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Linnell faking? >>Linnell steps away from the mic and stops singing while he attacks the keyboard, missing the first three words or so before he realizes and jumps back up to "sing." However, his voice sang the entire line even without him... << Wow, after reading that, I had to double check-- you're right! :0 Hmm.. I wonder if this is similar to SWAHD when they had to speed up Flans' falsetto because he couldn't Sing Like A Girl.. As soon as this first came on tv, the first thing I thought was Linnell sounded unusually deep. I wonder if they slowed his voice down? But why? >>Just a quick note. For anyone who has PODAS, listen to Concrete and Clay. It's like the 10th song. It is my current favorite they song.<< Mmm hmm. One of my faves too. :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Fondue forks for everybody." - TMBG, 'Hot Cha' ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:11:07 -0500 Subject: TMBG: hours and eyes >>And to Eric Webber: make that the only Three people awake at this hour. << Four people. Me too. I was up at 3am watching tv and eating cappuchino frozen yogurt. :9 >>I'm not certain whether anyone has mentioned this, but in addition to the question of whether or not Linnell can see ANYTHING without the aid of his rather serious-looking glasses, *snip* << I must say something. I have extremely poor eyesight, and 98% of the time, I wear contacts. But I must say.. that 2% of the time is kind of neat. You see someone, but they have no face... The sad truth is, Linnell cannot see your face. Oh, he might see a big blur that is you, but he can't see *you*. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:17:50 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 CyburDog@aol.com wrote: > Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... > I call it The Big Blue Dog > Some call it The Pink Album > Others call it Self Titled Album > Still others call it They Might Be Giants (including the head of the FAQ) > So what about YOU!???!?!?! No, no no....don't lets start this one again...... -Dawg P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:20:04 -0500 (EST) > LVJeff writes: > I would like to say that these kinds of "Throw-you-off-guard" songs > that TMBG writes are exactly the reason why I love TMBG. > > (Sorry for the two-line post here, but I'm not feeling very verbose today - and I think I hear many sighs of relief:-) I would have to agree with Jeff that lack of predictability/emphasis on experimentation is one of the reasons TMBG ranks so highly with me (along with the Beatles, my other greatest musical love). Few things are more thrilling than a really great song that does NOT do exactly what I expect it to. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:24:37 -0800 (PST) From: Matt Crouse Subject: Re: TMBG: Shows BEFORE Idaho... Matthew -- I am going to the Moscow show as well, but for concert dates on pretty much any artist, city, or venue you might check http://www.pollstar.com, it's a pretty nice database of that sort of thing. I checked last night and they DO list TMBG, but I don't remember any of the dates other than the Moscow and Seattle shows. (Seattle is on the 17th.) *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Aspiring Programmer \ crou9550@uidaho.edu \ "The less I seek my source, | | CS Undergrad \ ...www.uidaho.edu/ \ the closer I am to fine.." | | Person for Hire \ ~crou9550 \ -Sicko | *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS d---(-) s+:-- a--- C++++$ ULHC++(+)>++++$ P+ L+ !E(---) W++>$ N o? K--? w>$ !O !M- PS !PE !Y PGP t@ !5 X@ !R tv-? !b(-) DI+ D@ G e h--(---) r++ y? -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK----- On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Matthew K Puvogel wrote: > Hey all, > > I am going to the Moscow Idaho show on the 14th of November (this next > Thursday) and was wondering where they are playing on let's say, the 13th > (Wednesday Night), or even the 12th (Tuesday night)... > > If these places are not too far away, I might consider making the drive. > > Any info would be very appreciated thank... > > BTW, as of last check, there was no info regarding this on any page that I > know of... > > Thanks guys, > > > Matthew K Puvogel > > RaVeNmAsTeR productions ltd. 1996 > > "I was walking down Haight Street, in Sanfrancisco, when counter-cultered > youth cornered me... She had a freshly died purple mohawk, $120 Doc Martin > Boots, so in other words she was wearing about as much equity as I had made > so far this year, and with a wanting look, on her pale face, she asked me > for some change...... I said change comes from within..." (Wally > Pleasant-- Houses of the Holy Moly) > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:31:50 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: WTSR and a message to Joel Hi all. This weeks song was "A Self Called Nowhere". I wanted to play "You'll Miss Me" but was told 5 minutes before I went on not to use the cassette deck. Bummer :( (The following is a blantant plug so forgive me) Joel: The only NYC area station that I know of that plays TMBG on a semi-regular basis is WTSR (mainly during my show :]). I'm on Mondays from 11am-2pm and the TMBG song is usually played right after the 11am news. Our frequency is 91.3 FM and we broadcast range is about 15-20 miles from our transmitter in Ewing, NJ (near Trenton). Hope this helps. Craig ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:46:53 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Digest 9/17/96 If anyone still has their copy of the TMBG Digest from 9/17/96 can you forward it to me? Thanks, Craig ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:13:55 -0600 From: Danny Jones Subject: TMBG: Where in Atlanta on 12/8? I have not been able to find where They will be playing in Atlanta on 12/8. I haven't seen it on web sites or here. Could someone here tell me what venue they will be playing? Thank you! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:14:12 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Did anyone happen to ask on sonic net if They are coming back to Toronto? If not, does anyone just have a hunch they will, or something? I sure hope they do. I'm going to see Gordon Lightfoot tonight!!! Oh, and about strings on FS--I don't really think that strings = sophisticated, but they're very versatile instruments--capable of a big variety of timbres and articulations and inflections, or whatever. Strings are certainly a lot cooler than fake synthesised strings (which you hear a lot in rock) I don't really like XTCvsAA because it's kind of boring, and to me it sounds just like Mono Puff (especially the sampled voices at the end a la To Serve Mankind--well To Serve Mankind has sampled voices, but the actual thing at the end of XTC vs AA sounds to me like the trumpet bit at the beginning of What Bothers the Space Man (the motive's similar, what with the parallel thirds and all) Oh--sorry such a long post. I don't post very often! -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 96 15:39 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: shipping question Hey -- quick question. For those of you who've already ordered from the Holiday Info Club newsletter and gotten their stuff, did it come UPS or regular mail? I need to know whether I can have my stuff sent to my PO Box, or if that would cause a horrible confusion... Boy, I can't wait to get my stuff! [rubs hands and chortles] Thanks! -j.l. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 96 16:06 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Reviews including "Pet Name" a >semisweet love song with a minimum of witty wordplay annd a maximum of smooth >soulful sounds. Since when was "witty wordplay" a bad thing? Kirsten (who is just shaking her head in wonder at the craziness of it all...) -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: 11 Nov 1996 20:06:55 -0000 From: "Phil Bickel" Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album >From owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Mon Nov 11 11:56:58 1996 >Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA23750 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:19:45 -0500 >Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:17:50 -0500 () >From: BlueDawg >To: CyburDog@aol.com >cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album >In-Reply-To: <961111134310_1814847478@emout07.mail.aol.com> >Message-ID: >X-X-Sender: idiotnot@mail.visi.net >MIME-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Precedence: bulk >Reply-To: BlueDawg >On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 CyburDog@aol.com wrote: > >> Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... >> I call it The Big Blue Dog >> Some call it The Pink Album >> Others call it Self Titled Album >> Still others call it They Might Be Giants (including the head of the FAQ) >> So what about YOU!???!?!?! > >No, no no....don't lets start this one again...... > >-Dawg > >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. > PINK!!!! It's the PINK album! PINK! PINK! PINK!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! *Phil's head explodes....the memories, the memories* phil PS. For the record, I call it "TMBG the album" *--------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:29:36 -0500 (EST) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes > >>I'm not certain whether anyone has mentioned this, but in addition to the > question of whether or not Linnell can see ANYTHING without the aid of his > rather serious-looking glasses, *snip* > << > I must say something. I have extremely poor eyesight, and 98% of the time, I > wear contacts. But I must say.. that 2% of the time is kind of neat. You see > someone, but they have no face... > The sad truth is, Linnell cannot see your face. Oh, he might see a big blur > that is you, but he can't see *you*. i just had a really funny thought reading this...heh. i also have quite poor eyesight, and i know just what you're saying, sarah. ;) the thought that occurred to me was that it is kind of funny how linnell is probably looking at various blurs in the front row and just kinda goofily smiling at them...it's a sort of joke on us, we could be waving, making faces, (obscene gestures?) etc...and he just smiles and stares right through us... ;) --fransburgh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:19:06 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Organization: Contra Costa Newspapers Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album I've allways called it the "Self-Titled Album", and have wondered why people call it the "Pink Album". Yeah, yeah, I know it's pink, but is it some kind of Beatles parody/refrence or something? Is there more of a reason or is it just-beacuse-it's-pink? -- The Scorched Earth Party - We'll never forget the insults received in the War of 1812. Colin (Spud) Ferm Contra Costa Times (www.hotcoco.com) (510) 977-8483 cferm@hotcoco.infi.net spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net (www.hooked.net/~spud/) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:40:14 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all >I think that the "New Album" Linnell mentioned is SF, not a new new album. >They'll be on tour for most of '97, giving them little time to make a new >album and tour to support it. No, he was really speaking of a new album. Pat Dillett has been suggesting for a while now that TMBG take the seven songs they've got from the mini-tour, add the others they've written since March and will write in the next seven months, and make an album of them, and TMBG seem to agree. >It would break their cycle of a new album every two years. I expect the next >album in fall '98. There may be a new Mono Puff album next year, tho. The thing is, though, that right now, not only have TMBG written about half the material they'd need for another album (at *least*), but they've also *recorded* it. They currently have seven songs sitting around, all album quality, with nowhere to put them. I find it very likely that we'll see something by 4th Quarter '97. A Mono Puff release would probably be stuck in the 2nd quarter somewhere, between Then and SF. >perhaps the song was also chosen to show that the Giants are evolving and >that they're more than some cleverer-than-thou joke band (a viewpoint >which seems to worm its way into their album reviews) Hmmmm...shades of XTC, here. They are another band who has been constantly attacked by critics for being "Too clever by half" or "smart-asses." I must say, S-E-X-X-Y *is* the perfect TMBG song to show "the world at large" that TMBG is not just Istanbul and Particle Man. As for Dave's "string theory" :) I have my very own theory as to why people don't like XTC Vs. Adam Ant. And, since this one is backed up by a pretty large number of posts saying such (in varying degrees of blatantness), I'd call it pretty accurate: I'd say that the *MOST COMMON* reason that people dislike S-E-X-X-Y is that it doesn't sound like TMBG. Not because it's a "bad" or "annoying" or "S-U-C-K-Y" song, but because it's not a TMBG song. I have seen a number of posts saying this (here and on the NG), even a couple saying "S-E-X-X-Y isn't a bad song but I think it sucks because it doesn't sound like other TMBG." Could someone explain this to me? How does the nature of the band's *other* works affect the quality of this one? >Any people from NYC that can give me the radion stations that play TMBG? I >can't seem to find any, but my friends say there are but won't tell me. Gee, what kind of sucky friends do you have? >As a new >subscriber to this list, I was curious how people think FS >measures up to old albums, and what album everyone likes best. Mark, 1) "Favorite Album" threads are not appreciated; they take up way too much space and bandwidth, and 2) Especially right now is not a good time to ask about Factory Showroom; tempers are still high from when it was released. As to your question, though...the reaction is mixed. Views from "It's complete worthless shit" to "It is the greatest work of music ever to be placed upon this planet" and everything in between can be found here. >In regards to the single SEXXY.. I have to say that I really don't like it, What about it do you dislike? >the Giants aren't that kind of band What if the song had been put out just as it was by Mono Puff or some other non-TMBG band? >and (correct me if I am wrong), they really didn't even write the song.. What? They most certainly did! Hal Cragin has a *co-writing* credit, and I do believe that was *musical* co-writing, not lyrical. Josh, clearing my throat and gripping the lectern I smile and face my audience /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 96 16:51 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album As a new >subscriber to this list, I was curious how people think FS >measures up to old albums, and what album everyone likes best. I haven't really decided how FS measures up yet. It's been pretty much glued in my cd player lately, because I want to absorb every nuance. ;) But my friend Phil has been enthusing about it for weeks. He's declared that it's their most musically mature album yet, and announced to me that it "firmly cements me in TMBG fandom forever and ever till death do us part." Phil's an excitable fellow. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:36:03 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell faking? are u talking about on the Conan show? When Conan opens the cd case...the FS Cd inside is......gone....! hmmm.... At 02:11 PM 11/11/96 -0500, you wrote: >>>Linnell steps away from the mic and stops singing while he attacks the >keyboard, missing the first three words or so before he realizes and jumps >back up to "sing." However, his voice sang the entire line even without >him... ><< >Wow, after reading that, I had to double check-- you're right! :0 Hmm.. I >wonder if this is similar to SWAHD when they had to speed up Flans' falsetto >because he couldn't Sing Like A Girl.. As soon as this first came on tv, the >first thing I thought was Linnell sounded unusually deep. I wonder if they >slowed his voice down? But why? > >>>Just a quick note. For anyone who has PODAS, listen to Concrete and Clay. >It's like the 10th song. It is my current favorite they song.<< >Mmm hmm. One of my faves too. :) >~sarah :) >http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html >"Fondue forks for everybody." - TMBG, 'Hot Cha' > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:41:18 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > No, he was really speaking of a new album. Pat Dillett has been suggesting > for a while now that TMBG take the seven songs they've got from the > mini-tour, add the others they've written since March and will write in the > next seven months, and make an album of them, and TMBG seem to agree. Interesting.....*but* that would mean that they are putting out some of their half-baked stuff. I think they should wait and continue their cycle. Leave the okay stuff for Dial-a-song. > >It would break their cycle of a new album every two years. I expect the next > >album in fall '98. There may be a new Mono Puff album next year, tho. > > The thing is, though, that right now, not only have TMBG written about half > the material they'd need for another album (at *least*), but they've also > *recorded* it. They currently have seven songs sitting around, all album > quality, with nowhere to put them. I find it very likely that we'll see > something by 4th Quarter '97. A Mono Puff release would probably be stuck in > the 2nd quarter somewhere, between Then and SF. All of the Mono Puff stuff is ready for recording....it just needs to be done. They were going to record in September, but Flansburgh and Hal were touring. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:42:19 -0600 (CST) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision I got a good look at Linnell's "serious" glasses and yes, they looked quite thick. He was wearing them when he got out of the van at a little promo gig outside of Streetside Records here in Columbia. He took them off right before they went on "stage," which leads me to believe he DIDN'T put in contacts and doesn't wear contacts. That's just my guess from observation. ;) Lara Schmidt On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Jenifer W Stewart wrote: > Maybe Linnell wears contacts. Does anyone know if Linnell's vision is > really bad? Just wondering because I haven't really seen him in his > serious looking glasses:). > > Jen > > Mammal, mammal, > Their names are called > They raise a paw...... > - TMBG > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 12:39:30 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: music From: stu-pid@juno.com (Stuart m Oleson) ><< How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some >decent British bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. >> > > >*Disolving into fits of uncontrollable laughter* > >Kay My sentiments exactly!!!! Stu ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:27:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: linnels vision---what have i started?? i check my mail to find so many responses to matts response to me about linnell looking at me at the roseland!!!! i didnt know i was starting this whole thing. first be aware that i was in the first row,not a faceless darkened head in the crowd in the back. ill rewrite what happened. he starts banging on the keyboard with the back of his hand,and turns his head to my direction (the side of him),making what looked like eye contact with me and my friends. i start to wave furiously at him,and he turns away,the jerk (kidding,dont flame me :). thats about it. but dont stop talkign about linnels vision, it is quite interesting ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: recorded songs not on FS Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:53:28 -0500 (EST) I must correct Joshua Hall Bachner and say that there are 8 recorded songs taht did not appear on FS. There were 22 songs recorded, 14 of which were on FS. Lemme see if I can think of them. Certain People I Know Rat Patrol Counterfeit Faker Reprehensible Sensurround Older On the Drag They Got Lost Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: cdb312@casbah.acns.nwu.edu Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Chicago! Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:58:18 -0600 (CST) Hey, all--- I'd like to get an idea of who's going to be at the show in Chicago on Nov. 26. If you're going, send me a personal e-mail. ---Cyndi Batson **************** * cyn@tmbg.org * **************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:03:42 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album At 01:19 PM 11/11/96 -0800, Colin Ferm wrote: >I've allways called it the "Self-Titled Album", and have wondered why >people call it the "Pink Album". Yeah, yeah, I know it's pink, but is it >some kind of Beatles parody/refrence or something? Is there more of a >reason or is it just-beacuse-it's-pink? > >-- BLUE DOG. Enough said, no interpretation needed, just the simple fact that found upon the cover is a large blue dog. Simple yet effective. sorry about the short post here... no need to go further. Matthew K Puvogel RaVeNmAsTeR productions ltd. 1996 "I was walking down Haight Street, in Sanfrancisco, when counter-cultered youth cornered me... She had a freshly died purple mohawk, $120 Doc Martin Boots, so in other words she was wearing about as much equity as I had made so far this year, and with a wanting look, on her pale face, she asked me for some change...... I said change comes from within..." (Wally Pleasant-- Houses of the Holy Moly) ------------------------------ Date: 11 Nov 96 19:30:15 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Shtuff First of all, I went to K-mart today and saw one of those thingees where you push the button and it plays a video. To me surprise, there was one for S-E-X-X-Y. I pushed it, and was greeted by scenes from other TMBG videos. This was pretty cool. I've seen all their videos, but there was one thing I couldn't place. right after "... there she is" They showed one of the istanbul dolls. But then there was a girl in black and white for about a second. This wasn't from any video, but it might be from Snail Shell which I don't remeber too vividly. Speaking of Istanbul, why in the video in concert, at the chorus, they go oooooooaaaaaoooooooaaaaaooooooo. But on the album they went doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo? Also, will Spin the Dial be on the new they album or the new puff album? Pondering while wondering... Rob ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:42:24 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: recorded songs not on FS On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I must correct Joshua Hall Bachner and say that there are 8 recorded > songs taht did not appear on FS. There were 22 songs recorded, 14 of > which were on FS. Lemme see if I can think of them. > Certain People I Know > Rat Patrol > Counterfeit Faker > Reprehensible > Sensurround > Older > On the Drag > They Got Lost And I would say that Sensurround is probably destined for Superfueled Freakcycle.....not Nursing Home Game Room (hence the 2040 tour shirts). 7 it is. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:44:10 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Shtuff On 11 Nov 1996, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > Speaking of Istanbul, why in the video in concert, at the chorus, they go > oooooooaaaaaoooooooaaaaaooooooo. But on the album they went doo doo doo doo doo > doo doo doo doo doo? Linnell was on the doo doo, and Flansburgh on the hollering....they did it that way on House of Blues. > Also, will Spin the Dial be on the new they album or the new puff album? neither...it's a strictly TMBG concert gig.... S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:33:59 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: recorded songs not on FS On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I must correct Joshua Hall Bachner and say that there are 8 recorded > songs taht did not appear on FS. There were 22 songs recorded, 14 of > which were on FS. Lemme see if I can think of them. > Certain People I Know > Isn't ther a Morissey (sp?) song called Certain People I Know? I recall it as one of the few songs by him that I can stand. Is it by any chance the same song? I've never heard Them play this song. Take it easy, Wubba # ***************************** # .sig out for reconditioning * # ***************************** ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:22:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: # for Live from NY and SEXXY single Because so many people e-mailed me about the promo single and live in New York cd, here is the address and phone number for Southland CD. It should have them. P.O. Box 3005 Tele- 310-379-6300(10am-5pm Pacific, 1pm-8pm Eastern) Redondo Beach, CA 90277-1005 USA Fax- 310-379-3055 (24 Hours) I hope this is helpful. Nick ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: ROSELAND and Linnell-O-Scope Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 11:39:46 -0500 > (And if you hang him on the wall, his eyes look like they follow you > around the room, too!) All I know is that if you hang *me* on the wall, I'd be really pissed. PS. Check out the TMBG Recording Traders page at http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/tmbg/trade.html email me if your list is online! -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:30:08 -0500 (EST) From: Steven Luke Subject: TMBG: Re: Name of New Album Subj: Re: TMBG: recorded songs not on FS From: BlueDawg To: Matthew James And I would say that Sensurround is probably destined for Superfueled Freakcycle.....not Nursing Home Game Room (hence the 2040 tour shirts). From: ME This name, did that come from anywhere, or are you just putting forth a guess? That would make sense (but so would Pokey Little Polka :P) Any way, since the question came up, I thought I'd ask. Steven J. Luke SJL ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:49:54 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: article does anyonew want me to post the article i found in smug magazine? it reviews factory showroom and it has a lot of quotes from the johns. just let me know. -j ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: My Sickth Sense Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:51:57 +1100 Hello all Driving home from work yesterday I was listening to the radio, when the DJ were promoting 'something coming up, but first a song from a band...' It was at this stage the goosepimples rose in my arms, my hairs stuck out and I turned up the radio, knowing that YES, they are about to play a They song!!! It has to be S-E-X-X-Y (which I REALLY like) - FS is going to be played - it will be the start of the New Era!! And indeed, my psychic side didn't let me down - or at least not fully. '... which I have enjoyed for years, They Might Be Giants, who have a new album out, Factory Showroom, but I'm going to play a song off their wonderful album Flood'!! Ah well, I was half right. And I can handle any They song on the radio, even if it is 'Racist Friend'! Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 05:32:38 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Re: Electric observation NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Electric observation- It seems that "planned" opening bands for TMBG play > interesting electric instruments. Brian Dewan plays the electric zither. > Cub is assosciated with the electric tennis racket. Eugene Chadbourne does > the electric umbrealla. Are there more? When I saw Them in SF in 1990, the opening band (I *think* his name was Carmaig DeForrest, but I could be WAY off) played an electric ukelele. In my opinion, his music pretty much sucked, though. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 07:31:16 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all BlueDawg wrote: > Interesting.....*but* that would mean that they are putting out some of > their half-baked stuff. I think they should wait and continue their > cycle. Leave the okay stuff for Dial-a-song. > Hmmm... I don't have the exact quote, but I remember that interview with Flans Where he said that some of the songs left over from the 22 they recorded were "1st rate" and just didn't have a place on the albumn. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:46:12 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album > > > >> Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... > >> I call it The Big Blue Dog > >> Some call it The Pink Album > >> Others call it Self Titled Album > >> Still others call it They Might Be Giants (including the head of the FAQ) > >> So what about YOU!???!?!?! > >Technically its name is "They Might Be Giants" since its a self-titled album and all, but I agree with most people in calling it the pink album, mostly to make it clearer. If you're talking to someone about it and they ask what album you're talking about and you reply "TMBG" there is a good chance they'll say, "Yeah, but what album". It's easier this way.(That's my opinion anyway) :8^D -- "Man is in love and loves what vanishes, What more is there to say?" -- W. B. Yeats ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 07:45:49 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Conan Coppies hi all, It seems one of my messages came out as not much at all (thanks to Mat for telling me) and I figured that since no one has e-mailed me about Conan coppies, that might have been screwed up too. Anyway, I'd gladly copy Conan for anyone if they: 1. provide postage and (just 1) tape. 2.can trade an audio or a Video tape. Just thought I'd let y'all know. Jeremy Mathews PSe-mail me privatly if that wasn't clear. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:53:13 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: TMBG: Northern Cal Does anyone happen to know when They are coming to Sacramento or even San Francisco? -- "And I am a snake head eating my head on the opposite side" -- They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:58:12 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > As a new > >subscriber to this list, I was curious how people think FS > >measures up to old albums, and what album everyone likes best. > I havent actually had the chance to buy FS (sorry 8( ), but out of the rest I'd have to say Apollo 18 is the best, although Lincoln is a close second. -- "And I am a snake head eating my head on the opposite side" -- They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 22:05:35 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Too Much Beef Gristle - My experiences at the Roseland show Hello everyone. Well, as some of you may or may not know, I have been away this past weekend. I went to Boston, and from there onto the Roseland show in New York City. The following post will be a recount of my adventure... I arrived in Boston on Thursday evening after a lengthy delay in the air above Logan Airport. Apparently, the whether was so bad in Boston, that the plane I was on was forced to circle the airport for a while...about 40 minutes. We were not the only ones in the air over the airport, and the scene outside my window quickly started to look like something out of Die Hard 2. The next day, I went to the bus station to buy my bus ticket to The Big Apple. Here is where I met my friend and yours...Myke Weiskopf...the guy that wrote the TMBG Early Years FAQ. He was kind enough to show me around Boston, even though it became quickly apparent to me that he didn't really know where he was going. Upon my request to visit some CD stores, we got on the subway, and promptly took the wrong train, which took us to the wrong stop. This forced us to get off the subway and walk to the right stop. Unfortunately, we just ended up walking back in the direction we came from, and getting back on the subway to try again. We finally made it to the CD stores, and I bought XTC's Skylarking and English Settlement on vinyl, the Istanbul Single, and King Missile's Mystical Shit. Myke got me back to the bus terminal about 5 minutes before my bus left. Nevertheless, Myke is a great guy, and I'm glad I got a chance to meet him. The five hour bus ride was pretty much uneventful, save the traffic jam we got stuck in becuase a trailor truck ran off the road. That was pretty cool. When I arrived in NYC, I was greeted by the ever wonderful Sarah McDonald, and we made our way to The Roseland. We met Courtney, Brooksie, Julie, and other people who's names I either don't know, or can't remember. They were waiting first in line, and we were all let in shortly after I joined the line. Inside The Roseland, there were several poster hanging on the walls...two different kinds. One was the Factory Showroom cover, about the size of a record sleeve. The other was a picture of the Johns in some kind of pose I can't re-call right now, along with some writing about the Roseland show. After buying a three dollar Coke, I waited for the show to begin. Cub came on and played a half hour set. They were alright, but I wasn't too impressed. Most of their songs sounded the same, and in fact when they finished playing NYC and moved on to their next tune, I thought they were still playing NYC. Aside from that, I did enjoy their set, and especially liked looking at the drummer who seemed to be having a really good time. She kept pointing and smiling at people in the crowd and doing this Beatles-like head wobble while staring at the ceiling. The electric tennis racket was...um...interesting. I'm not sure if the guy was playing it, or just smashing the strings with his hand...or maybe that IS playing it. At one point he used the tennis racket to knock what looked like a candy bar into the crowd. The crowd was less than tolerant of cub, and the band left the stage to shouts of "You suck!" and "It's about time!" As soon as cub's set was over, I was joined by Matt James, Nola, Sarah Rickter, and Mary Ellen. Boy was I glad to see them! Oh yes, Happy Birthday Matt!! I'm glad you liked your presents! Magnetic Fields came out and also did a half hour set. Although I spent most of that time talking to Matt, Nola and Sarah, I can safely say that I did not like Magnetic Fields. The lead singer did a good job of putting the crowd to sleep. He looked like he was either on the verge of tears, or just about to pass out right on stage, and his voice was barely audible. You could also barely hear the 'cello, which was probably the most interesting thing about the band. My apologies go out to those of you who like Magnetic Feilds, but I'm afraid I didn't find them entertaining at all. After a short wait, Andy Richter took the stage to introduce the band. The following is a short excerpt of that introduction: Andy: "My name is Andy, and I'm here tonight because I like to rock. I was advertised as the emcee for this evening and I would have loved to introduce cub and Magentic Fields..." Someone in the crowd: "YOU SUCK!!" Andy: "Someone is saying I suck! I suck?? Well, get to know me a little better, and maybe I do..." They Might Be Giants came and played a rather short (90 minutes), but nevertheless energetic and fun set. I won't post the setlist since someone already did. Some memorable moments would include the re-appearance of Mr. Kurt Hoffman on the tenor sax. I don't know if he will be a permanent addition to the horn section, but I would really love to see that happen. Flans broke out his square guitar with the price tag for a few songs, and Graham Maby was seen singing the harmony part for Metal Detector and some other numbers. This really surprised me...it was just Linnell and Maby...Flans wasn't singing at all. Linnell conducted the Spy intro and at one point, got very confused since he was using his left hand to conduct Flans and Eric, his right hand to conduct Maby and the horns, and his head to conduct Brian on the drums. It looked like he was about to lose his balance from all the jiggling that he was doing. The show did lack a lot of the between song chatter from the Johns that's present in most of Their other shows, and it wasn't nearly long enough, considering They've been doing 100 minute shows as of late. After the show was over and the lights were turned up, I was nearly attacked by my good friend Bob Plass who I had the pleasure of meeting briefly at the 9:30 Club in DC a few months ago. Bob was kind enough to let me crash at his place for the night, and for that I owe him big time. He also gave me a poster for a New Year's show They did last year. Bob, you're an amazing guy!! I feel very lucky to have met you, and everyone on this list should envy me!! Outside the Roseland, I noticed that a bunch of 14 year old kids were holding those Factory Showroom poster I mentioned earlier. I got a poster from a kid named James by giving him a bootleg of the Providence show from two months ago. The boot was intended for someone I was supposed to meet at the show, but since that didn't work out, I didn't want it to go to waste! All in all, this was yet another amazing TMBG experience. I want to thank Brooksie for giving me a few of those green Roseland ads for the TMBG show, and I want to thank Julie Farrel (Farrow??...it was loud, I couldn't hear too good) for helping me out with that thing (she knows what I'm talking about...). I also want to give a shout out to all the people I met, both new and old, and tell you how supercool you all are! I just wish I could have met more list people...oh well, maybe next time. Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy P.S. If you've gotten this far, you have my respect. Your reward is the following: At 11:15 11/9/96 -0500, Pam McLeod wrote: >I think I saw a couple of people recording the show, but I'll leave it up to >them to speak up. Well, let's just say I'm speaking up. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 22:05:56 EST On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:17:50 -0500 () BlueDawg writes: >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. I was under the impression it was was called the "Two Johns Album" as it is the only tmbg album to feature a sort of picture of tmbg on the cover... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 08:11:31 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Live..! and S-E-X-X-Y promos I'm TERRIBLY SORRY to put this on the list, but I seem to have lost the mail giving info on the SEXXY, and Live in NY promos. Will the person who posted the message or anyone else who knows send me (or the list, if you think they'd want it) the prices, I was going to buy Live!!... through another company and was wondering if the price was different. Thanks, Your friend and mine, Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:20:53 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: My Sickth Sense Maria, Nick wrote: > > Hello all > > Driving home from work yesterday I was listening to the radio, when the > DJ were promoting 'something coming up, but first a song from a band...' > It was at this stage the goosepimples rose in my arms, my hairs stuck > out and I turned up the radio, knowing that YES, they are about to play > a They song!!! It has to be S-E-X-X-Y (which I REALLY like) - FS is > going to be played - it will be the start of the New Era!! > > And indeed, my psychic side didn't let me down - or at least not fully. > '... which I have enjoyed for years, They Might Be Giants, who have a > new album out, Factory Showroom, but I'm going to play a song off their > wonderful album Flood'!! > > Ah well, I was half right. And I can handle any They song on the radio, > even if it is 'Racist Friend'! > > Cheers and Beers > > 10000ft Septic I haven't heard anything off of FS on the radio (KWOD in Sacramento). However when they first released "Snail Shell" as a single it got heavy play and occasionally they still play "Istanbul" or "The Statue Got Me High" and I'm sure I've heard "Particle Man" and "Why Does The Sun Shine", but none of these are very frequent. Maybe I don't listen to the radio often enough. Personally though, I don't care if they play anything on the radio, it keeps them more of a "secret". -- "And I am a snake head eating my head on the opposite side" -- They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 22:35:44 -0500 From: Bill Laird Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-309 > > What is funny is this: Flans didn't appear to be lip-synching, but at > least some of the vocal track must have been pre-recorded. At the > beginning of the line "wig on her head," Linnell steps away from the mic > and stops singing while he attacks the keyboard, missing the first three > words or so before he realizes and jumps back up to "sing." However, > his voice sang the entire line even without him... Look at it again. I'm pretty sure Linnell's voice goes away when he does, because that's how I figured out who was singing what. Listen to the low part and watch Linnell. I think it's during the 'wig on her head' part where it becomes apparent. Could be wrong. SenSurround the zazbotch. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: 2nd try...sorry if this is twice Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:01:25 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called Maria, Nick...... > > And indeed, my psychic side didn't let me down - or at least not fully. > '... which I have enjoyed for years, They Might Be Giants, who have a > new album out, Factory Showroom, but I'm going to play a song off their > wonderful album Flood'!! > > Ah well, I was half right. And I can handle any They song on the radio, > even if it is 'Racist Friend'! spoooky! at this very time yesterday i was sitting here at work talking to a friend on the phone (ahem...working :) and he told me that "some song by that giants band that i liked" was playing. i was spewing that i hadn't a radio with me at work to listen. apparently jjj have also played s-e-x-x-y at least once. and every tuesday night when gravel and friends is on our radio station down here i ring up and ask for a joh nhenry song (thats the only tmbg cd the guy has), and heckle him for a while telling him to get the others. ;waiting till march... tamara. p.s. is that live in new york cd the same thing as the 2nd cd of the john henry tour edition? or fuller version of that same show or what? confused, confused. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||grimace||tryptophane||didIaskForFries?||IamNotYourBroom|| yublocka@tmbg.org My apartment looks upside down from there Water spirals the wrong way out the sink And her voice is a backwards record It's like a whirlpool and it never ends -They Might Be Giants End of returned message ----- End of forwarded message from Postmaster@atdgateway.atd.cra.com.au ----- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:02:07 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > I must say something. I have extremely poor eyesight, and 98% of the time, I > wear contacts. But I must say.. that 2% of the time is kind of neat. You see > someone, but they have no face... > The sad truth is, Linnell cannot see your face. Oh, he might see a big blur > that is you, but he can't see *you*. > I too have horrible eyesight. My question is, though, if he doesn't have contacts (which was implied by someone else who said that they saw him with glasses soon before a show...) how can he see anything at all, much less the crowd? I personally prefer contacts because I can't see diddly with glasses, and without anything I can't see my hand in front of my face (well, not very well, at least!). This of course, may explain his banging on the keyboard. My point here, folks, is that he has to have a clear vision range of at least 5-10 feet or he probably couldn't play his instruments, especially the more complicated ones like the accordian and the sax (I fully understnad that one can play the piano or what not blind, like Mr. Charles and Mr. Wonder.)...so, despite the lights, it is reasonable that JL can see those in the front row. Thank you all and good night! :) It is fun, btw, to wander around blind...people always choose this time to greet me, and if I dont' recognize their voice, they think I'm shunning them or something, until they get close enough that I can spot a feature (we're talking one foot away or closer...) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: # for Live from NY and SEXXY single Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:49:57 -0800 Southland CD is on the net also http://www.ni.net/cdstore.com/ They usually don't carry too much of any of their items, and I have already asked about the Live in NY CD, it is gone as far as I know. They can also be emailed --- sls@ni.net I have ordered from them before they are very professional. ---------- > From: PACQUISTO@aol.com > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: # for Live from NY and SEXXY single > Date: Monday, November 11, 1996 5:22 PM > > Because so many people e-mailed me about the promo single and live in New > York cd, here is the address and phone number for Southland CD. It should > have them. > > P.O. Box 3005 Tele- 310-379-6300(10am-5pm Pacific, 1pm-8pm > Eastern) > Redondo Beach, CA > 90277-1005 USA Fax- 310-379-3055 (24 Hours) > > I hope this is helpful. > Nick ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:55:38 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: hours and eyes by Queen Sneepy@indiana.edu > instruments, especially the more complicated ones like the accordian and > the sax (I fully understnad that one can play the piano or what not Actually, I play accordion myself, and you're not supposed to look at the keys at all when playing. It can, for the most part, be played by feel. Most instruments are like that. John Linnell has been playing keyboards for probably more than 20 years, and sax for at least 19 or 20. He should know the feel of the instruments by now. Also keep in mind that most people, when playing, are reading music, and *can't* look at the instrument because they're looking at music. I know I do this. I've only been playing accordion for 2 years and I pretty much have the feel of it (of course, when I hit a wrong button, you can really hear it...) Also, remember he's 5'10" and can read a set list positioned on the floor. This means he can read small print almost 6 feet away. He most likely can make out the faces of the people in the first couple of rows, depending on how far away they are... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:03:46 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Electric observation > > Electric observation- It seems that "planned" opening bands for TMBG play > > interesting electric instruments. Brian Dewan plays the electric zither. > > Cub is assosciated with the electric tennis racket. Eugene Chadbourne does > > the electric umbrealla. Are there more? > > When I saw Them in SF in 1990, the opening band (I *think* his name was Carmaig DeForrest, but I could be WAY off) played an electric ukelele. In my opinion, his music pretty much sucked, though. > Well, I'll have to chime in here and mention that when They toured the Midwest (and maybe a little more of the country--I do know that it was a mini-tour though) for Why Does the Sun Shine?, and Pere Ubu opened for them, they had somke interesting instrumentation. Pere Ubu had this little contraption consisting of a box with two metal triangles on top of it, and depending on where you placed your hands, it would change pitch. Very odd sound, but very cool... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "We could tell from his face he had absolutely no idea..." --TMBG, "They Got Lost" ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 01:32:19 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Pre-Chicago show party! (TBTw/TMBG) Hello 41- I have some good news to all of those that are planning on going to the show in Chicago on the 26th. There will be a pre-show meeting/party! It is simple too, that is the very good part. Right next to the Riveria (Broadway and Lawrence) is a pancake/waffle house. We will meet there at 4:30/5:00 PM. Doors open at 6:00, so we can all get in line too. Make sure to email me if you are going to be there, and to wear your Hello nametag. Adam ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 01:32:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Spy theme party before MILWAUKEE show Hello 41- Good news in Giantville! There will be a party before the show at the Safehouse. The Safehouse is an ultra-groovy restaurant right near the Rave with a "spy" them. The doors to the show will open at 7:00. Everybody is encouraged to get there at about 5:00-5:30. Please email me if you are going, and don't forget to wear your Hello nametag, so we know who you are! Adam ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 01:32:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes >>Also, remember he's 5'10" and can read a set list positioned on the floor. This means he can read small print almost 6 feet away.<< From what I've heard, Linnell is near-sighted, and when he's at his mic, he can see about a foot past the tip of it, or about 4-5 feet away. (I'm well acquainted with the end of Linnell's mic stand, since it has narrowly only missed my nose and forehead on a couple of occasions. Ouch!) As for the set-list theory, let's remember that TMBG's set list doesn't vary greatly from night to night. More likely than not he has it memorized, or at least a good part of it memorized. Also, I have seen him bend down to study the set list on a couple of occasions. He usually does so pretty swiftly as he's bending down to grab his cup of coffee. That Linnell... He's so slick. Love, Julie. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-310 ******************************