Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-311 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 311 Wednesday, 13 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: BDO 97 +BFF -TMBG TMBG: Re: 2001 TMBG: "Smug" article TMBG: They MIght Be Coming to my school TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic TMBG: Re: Posters TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Reasons already explained TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Re: Posters Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: stuff TMBG: space and sci-fi TMBG: Re: Posters TMBG: Re: Posters TMBG: Reasons already explained Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: stuff TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? TMBG: space and sci-fi TMBG: really annoying Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic TMBG: Reasons already explained Re: TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? TMBG: Reasons already explained TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: really annoying Re: TMBG: article TMBG: Reasons already explained TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? TMBG: stuff Re: TMBG: They MIght Be Coming to my school Re: TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? TMBG: Duplicate Message Problem TMBG: space and sci-fi Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Re: Posters TMBG: Re: Posters Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic Re: TMBG: Re: Name of New Album TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: radio + OAT Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all TMBG: Worries TMBG: Russ J. I need another Volume 1 TMBG: Roseland (a little late) Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list TMBG: they might be huh? TMBG: Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant TMBG: SonicNet Winnings TMBG: posters Re: TMBG: My Sickth Sense TMBG: Hootie and the Blowfish TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree TMBG: Re: TMBG in SF Re: TMBG: radio + OAT TMBG: My own private Idaho Show Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Re: TMBG: stuff TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers Re: TMBG: hours and eyes TMBG: Linnell's fingers, Flans' songs, etc. Re: TMBG: Strings in rock and in TMBG Re: TMBG: tribute album by the fans TMBG: Things, wings, and onion rings Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote TMBG: dispelling rumors TMBG: Re: your mail Re: TMBG: Strings in rock and in TMBG Re: TMBG: My own private Idaho Show TMBG: Weekly World Linnell Re: TMBG: stuff Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Re: TMBG: Things, wings, and onion rings TMBG: R.H. Re: TMBG: hours and eyes TMBG: Info Club by eMail TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-310 Re: TMBG:Conan/ SEXXY TMBG: TMBG and Greaseman TMBG: conan (on right now...tues) Re: TMBG: radio + OAT Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers Re: TMBG: conan (on right now...tues) Re: TMBG: hours and eyes TMBG: Pink vs Blue TMBG: Cleveland 12/4? TMBG: stuff I wanted to say. TMBG: sorry, but I'm posting again. Re: TMBG: First Album Re: TMBG: conan (on right now...tues) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:11:58 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: Re: TMBG: BDO 97 +BFF -TMBG >> >playing in london. >WHAT'S THIS???????????????????IS THERE SOMETHING i HAVE MISSED??? Umm... It's just that TMBG will be touring in March next year or something... We were saying that that meant they wouldn't be here for the Australian Big Day Out, but Ben Folds Five would be!!! :) Didn't miss much, hey? :) But, TMBG will be in London in March or something, so it's said. Ad. +--------------+ | Ad | |Yeah and stuff| +--------------+ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: 2001 Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 9:06:44 EDT From: John Pletikapich >I also loved the 'Statue got me high / 2001' theme!! Most ingenious. I >think the FAQ actually has something about Flans saying it was about Don >Juan - I wonder if there are any links between 2001 and Don Juan????? To me, the FAQ implies that Flans says the coincidence is unintentional. I have been told that some of 2001 is based on some concepts of Friedrich Nietzsche, although I don't know any more than that... -- john ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:27:34 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: "Smug" article From: IN%"lindas@omnifest.uwm.edu" "Linda Schultz" 4-NOV-1996 19:07:45.44 To: IN%"pholler@jcs1.jcstate.edu" CC: Subj: I'm sending you back a copy of your article if thi Return-path: Received: from uwm.edu (uwm.edu) by JCS1.JCSTATE.EDU (PMDF V5.0-4 #18797) id <01IBGIYRULC0HMBO7H@JCS1.JCSTATE.EDU> for pholler@jcs1.jcstate.edu; Mon, 04 Nov 1996 19:07:42 -0500 (EST) Received: from omnifest.uwm.edu (lindas@omnifest.uwm.edu [129.89.70.58]) by uwm.edu (8.7.1/8.6.9) with SMTP id SAA08048 for ; Mon, 04 Nov 1996 18:04:16 -0600 (CST) Received: by omnifest.uwm.edu; (5.65/1.1.8.2/17Sep94-0940PM) id AA00891; Mon, 04 Nov 1996 18:04:14 -0600 Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 18:04:14 -0600 From: Linda Schultz Subject: I'm sending you back a copy of your article if thi To: pholler@jcs1.jcstate.edu Message-id: <9611050004.AA00891@omnifest.uwm.edu> Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT johns and the giants speak "For music to be interesting, its creators must take risks. Any tune penned with the premise of 'this is what the kids of today are listening to' comes out sounding like it's bringing up the rear of a withering genre. but taking a chance in a new direction is thought of as strange, wierd, 'avant-garde,' or worse yet, quirky. 'i don't think we're quirky,' says john linnell, one half of They Might Be Giants. 'We're not self-concious enough, we're just trying to something interesting.' Together with john Flansburgh, Linnell has been taking his chances with TMBG for eight albums now, lettung all bets ride since 1986. These chances garnered TMBG a place in alternative's ancestry by brilliantly deconstructing pop's ethos and recombining it into an easy-to-swallow, candy coated pill. Their latest release, FACTORY SHOWROOM, once again showcases the Johns as masters of adaptability as they gracefully traverse the cheesy, soul-driven funk of 'S~E~X~X~Y' to the string-tinged verses and barbershop choral harmonies of 'Exquisite Dead Guy,' demonstrating a mastery of musical structure and composition along the way. On this aptly crowned album, each song is its own succinct morsel, completely disengagaed from the rest of the album, as is congruous with TMBG's philosophy. 'We think of what we're doing as a "have you seen our line of products" type thing,' says Linnell. 'That's an idea that artists tend to shy away from when they're doing something for sale. basically we've woken up and smelled the coffee. We do have a product and we're proud of what we do, so we don't mind presenting it that way.' FACTORY SHOWROOM's products, however whimsical and clever, are subtly woven with stark social commentary and empowering anthems. Because they're masked by the brand "quirky," these subtlties are often overlooked. 'We don't play totally smiley-face music,' Linnell explains. 'We try to inject components of real life in there. If it's all Candyland, it's not interesting to us.' Within the playful samba rhythms of 'Yourt Own Worst Enemy' lies an over-riding theme of self-destruction, while 'Metal Detector' is a sap- happy anthem for the hermit secretly residing in all of us. Perhaps the best summation of TMBG's ideology is 'XTC vs. Adam Ant,' a fictitious battle of the bands pitting content against style. 'What it comes down to is that Adam Ant was Mr.Style, while XTC had the ideas. Its really about the internal battle between the idea of the package and the idea of what's inside the package.' TMBG transcends those epic oppositions to create a friendly mix of the two. What makes it work is that both their content and their style have never been tied to a chronological trend. The music of TMBG, with clever lyrics bouncing about jingly riffs borrowed from genres as diverse as polka and metal, is unbound to time and place. Such an approach to songwriting has resulted in a solid following of loyal fans, but as yet no rocket-to-the-top smash. 'It doesn't drive me crazy that we're not a top-ten band,' Linnell admits. 'I'm surprised we get the kind of response that we get. This isn't false modesty, but i don't understand how it works. I don't know why bands get popular. 'I think its really great that a lot of people do like us. It would be cool if everybody liked us,' he continues,'but i don't know why they should. And if they did, i wouldn't know why they did. i can't really sum up why I like what we're doing. Because I'm doing what I like--that's why I like what I'm doing. The liking has to come before the doing though.' There is a personal aspect to TMBG's brand of pop that is undeniable. Not only is flansburgh's nasal voice a trademark, but the proud honesty with which each word is sung unmistakably defines them as pop geniuses who don't overly conform to the mainstream-imposed defenition of pop aesthetics. 'We totally respect the history of pop music and our dream is to be the Beatles, and all that stuff. We just add our own personalities to it. That's what differentiates anything that's good--personally. That's what people take note of in the first place. 'In our case, we've picked up things that have been neglected. A lot of pre-rock music that John and I decided we liked pretty early on, is approached from our rock world. I'm kinda aware how successfully ripped off other artists, but as hard as we tried to do that, we ended up sounding like ourselves. I guess its all about interpreting and misinterpreting other people's work.' It's ironic that their (mis)interpretations stem from what many consider bad music. On FACTORY SHOWROOM for example, the disco, heavy metal, and white bread funk avenues are all explored and exploited for their hidden worth. 'Whenever you try to make a rule about what's bad, suddenly somebody comes along and does such a good job with it that they can make a case for it. What really has been the problem was that it's was done badly. It takes a good artist to take something considered bad and make it good.' Judging from this gracious-yet-thought-provoking response, you'd think Linnell never met a song he didn't like. For the most part that's true, with some exceptions, of course. ' It seems like there's a lot of music out now that's taken from the 70's. The heavy guitar rock from that period was the most loathesome stuff as far as i was concerned. It drove me crazy in high school.' However, forever the optimists, TMBG see something valuable in even the most abhorrent sounds. 'The rediscovery of those various styles are interesting because they're such icons of baddness. If something is so bad that you think of it as representing bad music, there's something interesting about it.' " There you go, thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:49:34 -0500 (EST) From: Skarah Subject: TMBG: They MIght Be Coming to my school ACKKKK!! I know i don't post much, or really at all, but i just had to share this with you all, because you all are the only ones i know who will appreciate my excitement about this. this morning when i checked my phonemail, there was a campus-wide message from the campus concert committee. in the background "why does the sun shine?" was playing! apparently, THEY are on the top of the list of bands to try to get for our spring concert! i think you all know what i mean when i say that i would die if they came here. what a way (and i needed it, too--you know, nola) to brighten up my day! so everyone id welcome to come to the show (if it actually happens). my school is about 45 minutes northwest of baltimore. get here anyway you can! sarah ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ The sun is up. I'm so fizzy I could burst.--THE CURE ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:01:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic The man named Floppyglop writes: >I never said this could be proven by reason, I just said the theory was >based on logic. I think I am a little confused. I always thught anything BASED on logic could be proven through reason alone. As opposed to things based on empirical data, which are only able to be proved through experiment and statistical analysis. Do I have it wrong? J Chen's >J Chen's theory on ... "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "S-E-X-X-Y" is a pretty good theory>... "untypical songs"... This theory does have merit, my little theory about S-E-X-X-Y is that it is unpopular for the same reasons why Disco is unppular anymore. That may just be a restatement of the obvious, thoough and mean nothing. Specifically speaking, I don't think there can be any real theories since most people will have different reasons for it. As far as XVAA, I have no theory, because I happen to like the song and have hadenough discussion time with those that don't SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:09:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Posters >I have yet to find any TMBG posters. Does anyone knw where I can find them? Hey! This list is full of people who post about TMBG! :P SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:19:03 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Reasons already explained Tenman (in paraphrase) said that Dave' post threw him off because he was trying to explain something that was already explained, by those who dn't like the mentioned songs. In Dave's defense, didn't he say that he was new to the list? If he hadn't heard the explanationss, he wouldn't be able to use them, and so would have to build a reasoning structure of hiss own... SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:01:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic The man named Floppyglop writes: >I never said this could be proven by reason, I just said the theory was >based on logic. I think I am a little confused. I always thught anything BASED on logic could be proven through reason alone. As opposed to things based on empirical data, which are only able to be proved through experiment and statistical analysis. Do I have it wrong? J Chen's >J Chen's theory on ... "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "S-E-X-X-Y" is a pretty good theory>... "untypical songs"... This theory does have merit, my little theory about S-E-X-X-Y is that it is unpopular for the same reasons why Disco is unppular anymore. That may just be a restatement of the obvious, thoough and mean nothing. Specifically speaking, I don't think there can be any real theories since most people will have different reasons for it. As far as XVAA, I have no theory, because I happen to like the song and have hadenough discussion time with those that don't SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:09:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Posters >I have yet to find any TMBG posters. Does anyone knw where I can find them? Hey! This list is full of people who post about TMBG! :P SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:39:07 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 Majordomo@tmbg.org wrote: > -- > > Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! Am I the only one recieving multiple copies of this message?? How much more welcomed can I be?? Leo...let go of the send key! Alex ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:49:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: stuff >I saw FS at Walmart recently, I took all of the copies and put >them in the front of the racks, probably pissing of who was >working at the time, because they have to reset all mislaid >merchandise! (heh heh-- "walls mart". Did you guys watch mad tv?) lol. I do that all the time. I think it's an instinct or something, you feel if the people see it, they'll buy it, even if they've never heard of it. :) >From: CyburDog@aol.com >Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:43:11 -0500 >Subject: TMBG: First Album > >Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... >I call it The Big Blue Dog BlueDawg, looks like you have a follower! >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. I prefer to call it: "24 hr+ coffee album" Or "Food Shelter Fun". ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:49:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: space and sci-fi >What are all the Space-related subjects TMBG uses in their >songs? Why Does The Sun Shine? See The Constellation. For Science. Apollo 18. I heard they had a space program. Space Suit. >guy said he was with the Sci-Fi Channel. When he turned >around I asked him what the Sci-Fi channel was doing filming >a TMBG concert. He mentioned he was filming for a show >called "Inside Space" which airs on Friday nights and Sunday >mornings. I opened the tv guide and it was the first thing I saw. Weird. It's under: Sunday 9am, Monday 5:30 and 8:30 am, Tuesday 8:30 am, Wednesday 8:30 am, Thursday 8:30 am, Friday 10:30 pm. You're welcome. :) If anyone finds out when in fact the one with TMBG does in fact air, please tell us!!! >are u talking about on the Conan show? When Conan opens the >cd case...the FS Cd inside is......gone....! hmmm.... No it isn't... >And indeed, my psychic side didn't let me down - or at least >not fully. A similar thing happened to me the other day-- I 'psychically focused' on Don't Let's Start, but it ended up being SEXXY. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:09:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Posters >I have yet to find any TMBG posters. Does anyone knw where I can find them? Hey! This list is full of people who post about TMBG! :P SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:09:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Posters >I have yet to find any TMBG posters. Does anyone knw where I can find them? Hey! This list is full of people who post about TMBG! :P SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:19:03 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Reasons already explained Tenman (in paraphrase) said that Dave' post threw him off because he was trying to explain something that was already explained, by those who dn't like the mentioned songs. In Dave's defense, didn't he say that he was new to the list? If he hadn't heard the explanationss, he wouldn't be able to use them, and so would have to build a reasoning structure of hiss own... SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:39:07 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 Majordomo@tmbg.org wrote: > -- > > Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! Am I the only one recieving multiple copies of this message?? How much more welcomed can I be?? Leo...let go of the send key! Alex ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:49:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: stuff >I saw FS at Walmart recently, I took all of the copies and put >them in the front of the racks, probably pissing of who was >working at the time, because they have to reset all mislaid >merchandise! (heh heh-- "walls mart". Did you guys watch mad tv?) lol. I do that all the time. I think it's an instinct or something, you feel if the people see it, they'll buy it, even if they've never heard of it. :) >From: CyburDog@aol.com >Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:43:11 -0500 >Subject: TMBG: First Album > >Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... >I call it The Big Blue Dog BlueDawg, looks like you have a follower! >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. I prefer to call it: "24 hr+ coffee album" Or "Food Shelter Fun". ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:15:46 -0600 This is weird, i have gotten 13 "welcome to tmbg list"s and about 10 of the same 3 messages from "CIS132b18@vax............" this is annoying.... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:49:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: space and sci-fi >What are all the Space-related subjects TMBG uses in their >songs? Why Does The Sun Shine? See The Constellation. For Science. Apollo 18. I heard they had a space program. Space Suit. >guy said he was with the Sci-Fi Channel. When he turned >around I asked him what the Sci-Fi channel was doing filming >a TMBG concert. He mentioned he was filming for a show >called "Inside Space" which airs on Friday nights and Sunday >mornings. I opened the tv guide and it was the first thing I saw. Weird. It's under: Sunday 9am, Monday 5:30 and 8:30 am, Tuesday 8:30 am, Wednesday 8:30 am, Thursday 8:30 am, Friday 10:30 pm. You're welcome. :) If anyone finds out when in fact the one with TMBG does in fact air, please tell us!!! >are u talking about on the Conan show? When Conan opens the >cd case...the FS Cd inside is......gone....! hmmm.... No it isn't... >And indeed, my psychic side didn't let me down - or at least >not fully. A similar thing happened to me the other day-- I 'psychically focused' on Don't Let's Start, but it ended up being SEXXY. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:13:46 EST From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: TMBG: really annoying In the past 2 minutes, I have received 4 messages--the rest of the them were copies of the messages. What is going on? I feel bad for the people that are going to come home tonight to a mailbox full of about 250 messages. Sucks! :) tucker ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:17:20 -0600 >On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 Majordomo@tmbg.org wrote: > >> -- >> >> Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! > > >Am I the only one recieving multiple copies of this message?? How much >more welcomed can I be?? > >Leo...let go of the send key! > > Alex > > I am too, so i guess everyone is. We can expect an explanation as soon as leo finds out this happens (well, he always used to explain). I have also gotten tons of repeats of messages from "cis132....@vax.........." I JUST GOT ANOTHER PHONE LINE! now i can stay on whenever i want! YIPEEE! (it was installed 5 minutes ago by a huge dirty beer-smelling tecnician) and one last thing i just HAD to add, although i hate the thread: Oasis's lead singer got busted for possesion of cocaine (sp?)! I am sick and khome from school, thats why i am posting during the day. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:01:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic The man named Floppyglop writes: >I never said this could be proven by reason, I just said the theory was >based on logic. I think I am a little confused. I always thught anything BASED on logic could be proven through reason alone. As opposed to things based on empirical data, which are only able to be proved through experiment and statistical analysis. Do I have it wrong? J Chen's >J Chen's theory on ... "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "S-E-X-X-Y" is a pretty good theory>... "untypical songs"... This theory does have merit, my little theory about S-E-X-X-Y is that it is unpopular for the same reasons why Disco is unppular anymore. That may just be a restatement of the obvious, thoough and mean nothing. Specifically speaking, I don't think there can be any real theories since most people will have different reasons for it. As far as XVAA, I have no theory, because I happen to like the song and have hadenough discussion time with those that don't SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:19:03 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Reasons already explained Tenman (in paraphrase) said that Dave' post threw him off because he was trying to explain something that was already explained, by those who dn't like the mentioned songs. In Dave's defense, didn't he say that he was new to the list? If he hadn't heard the explanationss, he wouldn't be able to use them, and so would have to build a reasoning structure of hiss own... SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:25:05 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Wyatt Glodell wrote: > This is weird, i have gotten 13 "welcome to tmbg list"s and about 10 > of the same 3 messages from "CIS132b18@vax............" > this is annoying.... Ditto!! In fact, I've been getting multiple messages (including the ones I sent) from about 4 different list people. This message will also probably be repeated. There seems to be a problem with the list server...but what the hell do I know? Alex ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:19:03 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Reasons already explained Tenman (in paraphrase) said that Dave' post threw him off because he was trying to explain something that was already explained, by those who dn't like the mentioned songs. In Dave's defense, didn't he say that he was new to the list? If he hadn't heard the explanationss, he wouldn't be able to use them, and so would have to build a reasoning structure of hiss own... SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:13:46 EST From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: TMBG: really annoying In the past 2 minutes, I have received 4 messages--the rest of the them were copies of the messages. What is going on? I feel bad for the people that are going to come home tonight to a mailbox full of about 250 messages. Sucks! :) tucker ------------------------------ From: Greg Nicholson Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 13:42:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: article Yes, post it!!!! Greg ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:19:03 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Reasons already explained Tenman (in paraphrase) said that Dave' post threw him off because he was trying to explain something that was already explained, by those who dn't like the mentioned songs. In Dave's defense, didn't he say that he was new to the list? If he hadn't heard the explanationss, he wouldn't be able to use them, and so would have to build a reasoning structure of hiss own... SJL ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:15:46 -0600 This is weird, i have gotten 13 "welcome to tmbg list"s and about 10 of the same 3 messages from "CIS132b18@vax............" this is annoying.... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:49:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: stuff >I saw FS at Walmart recently, I took all of the copies and put >them in the front of the racks, probably pissing of who was >working at the time, because they have to reset all mislaid >merchandise! (heh heh-- "walls mart". Did you guys watch mad tv?) lol. I do that all the time. I think it's an instinct or something, you feel if the people see it, they'll buy it, even if they've never heard of it. :) >From: CyburDog@aol.com >Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:43:11 -0500 >Subject: TMBG: First Album > >Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... >I call it The Big Blue Dog BlueDawg, looks like you have a follower! >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. I prefer to call it: "24 hr+ coffee album" Or "Food Shelter Fun". ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: They MIght Be Coming to my school Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 14:00:54 18000 > > > ACKKKK!! > > I know i don't post much, or really at all, but i just had to share this > with you all, because you all are the only ones i know who will appreciate > my excitement about this. this morning when i checked my phonemail, there > was a campus-wide message from the campus concert committee. in the > background "why does the sun shine?" was playing! apparently, THEY are on > the top of the list of bands to try to get for our spring concert! i > think you all know what i mean when i say that i would die if they came > here. > > what a way (and i needed it, too--you know, nola) to brighten up my day! > so everyone id welcome to come to the show (if it actually happens). my > school is about 45 minutes northwest of baltimore. get here anyway you > can! > > sarah Try giving us the NAME of the school!!! > > ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ > The sun is up. I'm so fizzy I could burst.--THE CURE > > ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ > > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:25:05 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: AARRGGHHH!!! What's with the repeated posts? On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Wyatt Glodell wrote: > This is weird, i have gotten 13 "welcome to tmbg list"s and about 10 > of the same 3 messages from "CIS132b18@vax............" > this is annoying.... Ditto!! In fact, I've been getting multiple messages (including the ones I sent) from about 4 different list people. This message will also probably be repeated. There seems to be a problem with the list server...but what the hell do I know? Alex ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Duplicate Message Problem Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:13:09 -0500 (EST) The list was subscribed to itself today. I am working on tracking down the offending party. The situation should be corrected now. Also, I have a "Tip of the Day"(tm). When the list is sending out multiple copies of every message mailing the list about it (and generating more multiple) copies is probably not the best idea. :-) Try mailing me, or owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org, or postmaster@tmbg.org. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:49:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: space and sci-fi >What are all the Space-related subjects TMBG uses in their >songs? Why Does The Sun Shine? See The Constellation. For Science. Apollo 18. I heard they had a space program. Space Suit. >guy said he was with the Sci-Fi Channel. When he turned >around I asked him what the Sci-Fi channel was doing filming >a TMBG concert. He mentioned he was filming for a show >called "Inside Space" which airs on Friday nights and Sunday >mornings. I opened the tv guide and it was the first thing I saw. Weird. It's under: Sunday 9am, Monday 5:30 and 8:30 am, Tuesday 8:30 am, Wednesday 8:30 am, Thursday 8:30 am, Friday 10:30 pm. You're welcome. :) If anyone finds out when in fact the one with TMBG does in fact air, please tell us!!! >are u talking about on the Conan show? When Conan opens the >cd case...the FS Cd inside is......gone....! hmmm.... No it isn't... >And indeed, my psychic side didn't let me down - or at least >not fully. A similar thing happened to me the other day-- I 'psychically focused' on Don't Let's Start, but it ended up being SEXXY. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:17:20 -0600 >On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 Majordomo@tmbg.org wrote: > >> -- >> >> Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! > > >Am I the only one recieving multiple copies of this message?? How much >more welcomed can I be?? > >Leo...let go of the send key! > > Alex > > I am too, so i guess everyone is. We can expect an explanation as soon as leo finds out this happens (well, he always used to explain). I have also gotten tons of repeats of messages from "cis132....@vax.........." I JUST GOT ANOTHER PHONE LINE! now i can stay on whenever i want! YIPEEE! (it was installed 5 minutes ago by a huge dirty beer-smelling tecnician) and one last thing i just HAD to add, although i hate the thread: Oasis's lead singer got busted for possesion of cocaine (sp?)! I am sick and khome from school, thats why i am posting during the day. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:09:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Posters >I have yet to find any TMBG posters. Does anyone knw where I can find them? Hey! This list is full of people who post about TMBG! :P SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:09:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Posters >I have yet to find any TMBG posters. Does anyone knw where I can find them? Hey! This list is full of people who post about TMBG! :P SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:39:07 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 Majordomo@tmbg.org wrote: > -- > > Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! Am I the only one recieving multiple copies of this message?? How much more welcomed can I be?? Leo...let go of the send key! Alex ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:39:07 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 Majordomo@tmbg.org wrote: > -- > > Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! Am I the only one recieving multiple copies of this message?? How much more welcomed can I be?? Leo...let go of the send key! Alex ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:01:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic The man named Floppyglop writes: >I never said this could be proven by reason, I just said the theory was >based on logic. I think I am a little confused. I always thught anything BASED on logic could be proven through reason alone. As opposed to things based on empirical data, which are only able to be proved through experiment and statistical analysis. Do I have it wrong? J Chen's >J Chen's theory on ... "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "S-E-X-X-Y" is a pretty good theory>... "untypical songs"... This theory does have merit, my little theory about S-E-X-X-Y is that it is unpopular for the same reasons why Disco is unppular anymore. That may just be a restatement of the obvious, thoough and mean nothing. Specifically speaking, I don't think there can be any real theories since most people will have different reasons for it. As far as XVAA, I have no theory, because I happen to like the song and have hadenough discussion time with those that don't SJL ------------------------------ From: CIS132B18@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:01:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Re: Reason And Logic The man named Floppyglop writes: >I never said this could be proven by reason, I just said the theory was >based on logic. I think I am a little confused. I always thught anything BASED on logic could be proven through reason alone. As opposed to things based on empirical data, which are only able to be proved through experiment and statistical analysis. Do I have it wrong? J Chen's >J Chen's theory on ... "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "S-E-X-X-Y" is a pretty good theory>... "untypical songs"... This theory does have merit, my little theory about S-E-X-X-Y is that it is unpopular for the same reasons why Disco is unppular anymore. That may just be a restatement of the obvious, thoough and mean nothing. Specifically speaking, I don't think there can be any real theories since most people will have different reasons for it. As far as XVAA, I have no theory, because I happen to like the song and have hadenough discussion time with those that don't SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:43:40 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Name of New Album On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Steven Luke wrote: > Subj: Re: TMBG: recorded songs not on FS > From: BlueDawg > To: Matthew James > > And I would say that Sensurround is probably destined for Superfueled > Freakcycle.....not Nursing Home Game Room (hence the 2040 tour shirts). > > From: ME > > This name, did that come from anywhere, or are you just putting > forth a guess? That would make sense (but so would Pokey Little Polka :P) > Any way, since the question came up, I thought I'd ask. No, that was just my little sick sense of humor coming out. I made it up. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "You've never been to Compton. You've never hung with Snoop. You go grocery shopping with your mom. You're a sorry wuss, and you're never gonna score."--Butthead to Beavis ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:54:34 -0500 From: Majordomo@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list -- Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to "Majordomo@tmbg.org" with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe tmbg-list tmbg-list@tmbg.org Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case you don't already have it: *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:15:38 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: radio + OAT >I haven't heard anything off of FS on the radio (KWOD in Sacramento). >However when they first released "Snail Shell" as a single it got heavy >play and occasionally they still play "Istanbul" or "The Statue Got Me >High" and I'm sure I've heard "Particle Man" and "Why Does The Sun >Shine", but none of these are very frequent. KWOD plays TMBG??? Well, this is news! I have had no luck getting Sac-area radio stations to play anything good. KDVS, UC Davis's radio station, will occassionally play Them, if a) you get several people to call up and beg piteously, and b) they have nothing else to play. And, of course, getting the Zone to play Them is a battle lost in advance... >Personally though, I don't care if they play >anything on the radio, it keeps them more of a "secret". I do. I want the Johns to get famous, because then I won't have to explain my TMBG shirt all the time. ("No, it's *not* the monopoly guy, it's the happy purple guy from the cover of WDTSS?") > Pere Ubu had this >little contraption consisting of a box with two metal triangles on top of >it, and depending on where you placed your hands, it would change pitch. >Very odd sound, but very cool... That's a theremin. (sp?) Whoa, a rock band that uses a theremin? I gotta check these guys out... So far I know of three other listies coming to the SF show: Matt in Sacramento, Adam Kline, and Colin "spud" Ferm. Anyone else? About what time do you guys plan to be at the Warfield? --nicole the wonder nerd only one week before I see TMBG live for the verrry first time! Wheee! It's the *Pink* album, dammit! Pink! Pink! Pink! Notice that it is pink in color. Notice that only about 10% of the big blue dog is visible on the front cover. It is, and forever will be, TPA. :) *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Mark Krakauer Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 15:16:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all On Nov 11, 4:40pm, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > The thing is, though, that right now, not only have TMBG written about half > the material they'd need for another album (at *least*), but they've also > *recorded* it. They currently have seven songs sitting around, all album > quality, with nowhere to put them. I find it very likely that we'll see > something by 4th Quarter '97. Josh, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but something sounds weird about this. Just guessing off hand, it seems like most of TMBG's albums have around twenty or so tracks (not including Apollo's 30+ tracks). Yet FS only has 13. I'm sure that they do have seven or so extra songs already recorded, so why didn't they just put them on FS? It seems like it would make more sense to have one great album packed with a lot of high quality stuff than two shorter albums released within less than 12 monthes of each other. How are they going to keep up the touring enough to sell the next album so soon after FS? This also breaks the two year cycle that they have already gotten so comfortable with. Once again, I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, it's just that something sounds funny about this. Mark ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Worries Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 12:22:00 P Well, I have been off the list for about 3 weeks, and I was reading through a whole bunch of list messages that I had yet to read. I think that it is knid of crazy that every one is bitching about everything. So someone doesn't like Factory Showroom, and some one else does. I think it really suck s when the list turns into an international mobilehome park for flaming each other. I guess that's why I got off. Is any body with me on this one. I know that the purpose of the list is to share you feelings about tmbg, But I don't know. I'm just a optimist, and lost of negative crap bugs me. I see lots of people saying that TMBG have changed, and that they don't like their new style. I will admit that they have evolved big time, but I don't think that it is in a bad way. I mean, all bands evolve. It's good, because things might get a bit boring otherwise. I love the old TMBG, and I love the new TMBG. I don't know. You can say that they aren't using their talent like they used to, but you'd be wrong. I think that they are using it more than they ever have before. Well, that's just my little soliliqoy on things. I think I spelled that wrong. Oh well. Chow for Now. You've got Questions, I've got answers Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Russ J. I need another Volume 1 Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 12:22:00 P Hey Russ Josephson, I don't know you adress, so I'm talking to you via list. I need another copy of Volume one. Is this a possible thing to do? How much $? Brenden - nednerB ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:07:58 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: Roseland (a little late) Hello Exquisite Living People, Roseland! Oh, what a night. It started off pretty sucky, actually, for four reasons: 1. Lauren, my gal, couldn't make it. That really sucked. She had to stay in Baltimore for the weekend and work. 2. I had a 103 degree fever and felt sick as a rabid child, but pumped myself up on Advil (*I* ate the other ten). 3. I didn't get to meet Alex/Matt/Nola/Mary Ellen/Sarah/Julie/Margarita/everyone else whose name I can't remember until the end of the show. 4. Lauren couldn't make it. I know I said that already, but I really miss my sweet, sweet angel. Show was just fantastic, especially the live version of Metal Detector, Cub's version of NYC, and the sheer number of throbbing crowd members (so to speak). I'm not surprised that TMBG didn't play NYC right after Cub played it, but like Alex was saying, it would have been nice to have Cub AND TMBG playing it at the same time, but logistically it would have been tough. Magnetic Fields sucked. I never say something or someone sucks, but in this case, I'll make an exception. Such vapid banality. Anyway, the absolute best part of the evening, was finally meeting many listers, reuniting with Alex, who I was looking for the entire evening, and hanging out with a great crowd afterward. It made the fact that Lauren couldn't make it (I really miss her) a little better. Think about it - guy shows up to concert all alone, stands there all alone, enjoys concert immensely but is all alone, then, LEAVES with a big crowd of friendly people and goes out and hangs out and makes new friends and is all happy and stuff! YEAH! Thanks, tmbg! By the way, thanks for the kind words, Alex. If you EVER want to come back to the greatest city on the Earth, don't even call, just show up, and you've got a place to stay and a good friend to hang with. Anytime. I strongly urge all of you to make an attempt to meet Alex. What a great guy, great TMBG fan, smart, funny (ladies, pay attention), I just wanted to go back in time and make him my best friend from since I was born. Absolutely one of the greatest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting - another great tmbg-induced experience! This post is getting a little long, so I'll sign off with an apology to everyone who was there and had to listen to me pining away like a lost puppy about missing Lauren. She will be with me for the Feb 8 concert, though. Yay! Bob Plass ----------------------------- "That's so great that you met all those people and made all those new friends. That's so great! They Might be Giants always makes you so happy!" - - - Lauren, hitting the nail right on the head! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:11:29 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to tmbg-list At 12:39 PM 11/12/96 -0500, you wrote: >On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 Majordomo@tmbg.org wrote: > >> -- >> >> Welcome to the tmbg-list mailing list! > > >Am I the only one recieving multiple copies of this message?? How much >more welcomed can I be?? > >Leo...let go of the send key! > > Alex yeah, I only got 8 copies of it... Matthew K Puvogel. esq. VIII ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:08:59 -0500 (EST) From: Scott Rodas Subject: TMBG: they might be huh? If anyone's interested in trading... I have a recording of TMBG at UNY/Oneota 10/22/94. It's an audience recording- not so great quality- but just OK. Here are the songs: Istanbul Out of Jail The Guitar Particle Man Dont Lets Start No One Knows My Plan AKA Driver Extra Savoir Faire Meet James Ensor Band Intro Why Does the Sun Shine Statue Got Me High Ana Ng Dirtbike Racist Friend Sleeping in the Flowers Stomp Box I Palindrome I Famous Polka Twisting The Joker (Steve Miller) Birdhouse in Your Soul Dig My Grave End of the Tour Snailshell Spy I couldn't honestly call this a hi-fidelity recording, but if you crank up your stereo, and play with the treble and bass it's really cool. (Plus: it's really great to hear the Joker). I'm interested in trading for the PODAS tape or any other TMBG shows (except Dr. Spock) also: Costello, Squeeze, Dbs (esp: Chris Stamey's HELLO Club CD) and any other suggestions. Thanks. Scott (skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:37:17 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant Floopyglop@aol.com wrote: [about XTC vs. AA] > I think it's an excellent song > (especially the string section). Does anyone else out there like it? Anyone? Yep, I like that song a lot. I love the strings, and all the other parts of the song. I also am part of the group (I don't know if it's the majority or minority) that likes S.E.X.X.Y. I'm not a teenager, though. I'm 24. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:27:50 -0500 From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: SonicNet Winnings Hola, I was on the SonicNet chat last week (as Voyeure), and I got a reply in my mail the next day saying "send your info." I guess that this means that I won something, unless they were just so overcome by my interviewing prowress that they wanted to hire me or something. Anyway, just thought Id letcha know that more than one person "won." Now, what exactly do we *get* for it????? Superfunked Freakmaster Kris ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 18:09:36 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: posters Organization: West Virginia Network i am getting one for factory showroom. its the same picture that appears in the tour announcements in magazines. i also aqquirred a bootleg of a they show from california/charleston (WVa) from 1992. anyone know anything about these? sound quality is excellent. sam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 18:25 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: My Sickth Sense >I haven't heard anything off of FS on the radio (KWOD in Sacramento). >However when they first released "Snail Shell" as a single it got heavy >play and occasionally they still play "Istanbul" or "The Statue Got Me >High" and I'm sure I've heard "Particle Man" and "Why Does The Sun >Shine", but none of these are very frequent. On the college station this morning, they started to play "Exquisite Dead Guy," but the DJ stopped it in the middle and started "Particle Man." Doh!! The DJ's a Floodie... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:48:50 -0600 From: mmaki@cp.duluth.mn.us (Michael G. Maki) Subject: TMBG: Hootie and the Blowfish Hello. I am new to this list, and will inevitably ask questions that have been discussed ad nauseum. My abject apology, but I'm curious... I went to see TMBG while they were in Dul(l)uth, Minnesota as an opening act for Hootie and the Blowfish... Does anyone know how this [bizarre, IMHO] coupling happened? Talk about wildly divergent types of music. Now, then, while it was an *awesome* show (I was front row, center, right under Linnell) but entirely too short--which is usually the case with opening groups. Also, they didn't perform my favorite TMBG songs (She's an Angel and Why Must I Be Sad) but we can't always get what we want, eh, son? To add a tiny bit of light to the Linnell/Sight thang, There was a man down 2 seats from me, talking to someone on a cell-phone, and he occasionally turned the phone around so the people could hear the concert. Linnell saw that, and laughed. True, ain't all that far from the front row... At any rate, getting together plans to be at O'Shaughnessy when they come to St. Paul. I hope to see some of y'all there. I'll be the idiot waaaay in back with a BFF button, and who screams "Freebird!" at totally inappropriate times. l8rness, MM *-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ********* Michael G. Maki Even with insects, / ******* mmaki@cp.duluth.mn.us some can sing... / ***** some can't. /\ *** ------------------------ / \ * Grither on DALnet IRC / \ *-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 18:49:40 -0500 Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree xI'd say that the *MOST COMMON* reason that people dislike S-E-X-X-Y is that xit doesn't sound like TMBG. Not because it's a "bad" or "annoying" or x"S-U-C-K-Y" song, but because it's not a TMBG song. I have seen a number of xposts saying this (here and on the NG), even a couple saying "S-E-X-X-Y xisn't a bad song but I think it sucks because it doesn't sound like other xTMBG." Could someone explain this to me? How does the nature of the band's x*other* works affect the quality of this one? Amen. Go ahead and hate it if you must, but at least have a better reason than "It's different, and different is bad." Who should know better what TMBG "sounds like" than TMBG? They are evolving... if anyone has a problem with that, go take Lincoln and the Pink/Blue dog/whatever album, lock yourself in your room, and listen to them for eternity, oblivious to anything else They ever produce. Alternatively, you could keep an open mind and realize that S-E-X-X-Y doesn't fall outside of TMBG's style, it is only broadening it. xJust curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... xI call it The Big Blue Dog xSome call it The Pink Album We could just compromise and call it the Big Purple Dog album... Sorry. xI got a good look at Linnell's "serious" glasses and yes, they looked xquite thick. He was wearing them when he got out of the van at a little xpromo gig outside of Streetside Records here in Columbia. He took them off xright before they went on "stage," which leads me to believe he DIDN'T put xin contacts and doesn't wear contacts. I can't add anything here except that we asked Jim O'Connor about this after Taste of DC, and his response was "Oh, he's blind!" :) Anyway, does anybody know why Linnell would want to do this? Is he (uh...rats...which is the one where you can see see things that are close?) nearsighted? Then he wouldn't need his glasses to play instruments. Or does he just enjoy not being able to see a damn thing? --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:02:22 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in SF Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > They're coming to SF, all right, but I'm not too optimistic about the number > of available seats. Hie yourself on down to BA$$ and request a ticket for: > They Might Be Giants > Nov. 20 > the Warfield Theater, San Francisco (Market and... oh, 9th, I think) > doors open at 7 > Tix are $18.50; there is a 2-drink minimum. (It's an all-ages show, tho.) > > If you're going, lemme know. I'm trying to get a tally going. > I'll try to go as soon as I can get down to Bass (It's right down the street, but I'm a lazy bastard) plus I need to find some friends to go so I'm not wandering around by myself. I thought about going to the Petaluma show, but I think the Warfield would be cooler. -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:09:08 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: radio + OAT Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > >I haven't heard anything off of FS on the radio (KWOD in Sacramento). > >However when they first released "Snail Shell" as a single it got heavy > >play and occasionally they still play "Istanbul" or "The Statue Got Me > >High" and I'm sure I've heard "Particle Man" and "Why Does The Sun > >Shine", but none of these are very frequent. > > KWOD plays TMBG??? Well, this is news! I have had no luck getting Sac-area > radio stations to play anything good. And, of course, getting > the Zone to play Them is a battle lost in advance... > > Like I said it is rare for KWOD to play Them (I accentuate rare). Usually late at night (especially during the midnight request hour) they play Them. Also if AC's doing the lunch hour request he's usually pretty easy to convince to play Them. You're right, there isn't any point in even picking up the phone to call the Zone, they won't even play CAKE because of their "camp and vamp" style (I e-mailed them), but if you want to hear Melissa Etherige or John Mellencamp they'll do it in a heartbeat. -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ From: Darwnchrls@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:10:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My own private Idaho Show Does anyone know who (if anyone) is opening for the band at the UI student union ballroom show on thursday? I just found out about the show and am wondering if they have the show all to themselves, or if there is an opening band. Also does anyone know of the cool cover tunes that they have been doing live lately? In Seattle last year they did the ever-so-popular Frankensein and then the next day they did The Ramones "I want to be sedated" and they were awesome show pieces. Thanks in advance! Dan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:12:38 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Mark Krakauer wrote: > Just > guessing off hand, it seems like most of TMBG's albums have around twenty or > so tracks (not including Apollo's 30+ tracks). Yet FS only has 13. I'm sure > that they do have seven or so extra songs already recorded, so why didn't > they just put them on FS? Notice tho' that usually a good chunk of the songs on Their albums are 2 minutes or less giving them 20 or 30 songs but an hour or less in time. Maybe the songs They left off of FS are 3 or 4 minute songs (or more) and would have made FS an exceptionally long album. (Just a guess) -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:18:57 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff > >Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... > >I call it The Big Blue Dog > BlueDawg, looks like you have a follower! > > >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. > I prefer to call it: "24 hr+ coffee album" Or "Food Shelter Fun". > ~sarah :) > http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html or "the dancing pink snowmen album" (on the actual CD) -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:23:30 -0500 (EST) > > Look at it again. I'm pretty sure Linnell's voice goes away when he > does, because that's how I figured out who was singing what. Listen to > the low part and watch Linnell. I think it's during the 'wig on her > head' part where it becomes apparent. Could be wrong. > I keep trying, and yet I still seem to hear his voice even when he's not singing "wig on her..." I just find this very disturbing. As though the classical laws of physics didn't hold up, or something. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:30:04 -0500 (EST) > Stefanie Elliott writes: > > I too have horrible eyesight. My question is, though, if he doesn't have > contacts (which was implied by someone else who said that they saw him > with glasses soon before a show...) how can he see anything at all, much > less the crowd? > I think that that is basically the idea. To the best of my knowledge, Linnell does not wear contacts; he simply takes his specs off before the show. He is really rather a small, shy, and somewhat nervous man, and I have always assumed that his "lack of vision" onstage probably makes him more at ease. Not being able to see the crowd is probably more calming than being aware of hundreds of spectators likely would be. m@t ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Linnell's fingers, Flans' songs, etc. From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:58:29 EST Hey guys:) I have only been on the list for about a month so I'm sorry if this has already been posted but are Linnell's fingers double-jointed? I was watching the video for Snail shell recently and noticed that he holds up is fingers a lot and they look sort of deformed;). I know this is trivial but I was just bored and curious. Also, I've noticed how a lot of Flans' songs are musically similar to other songs of particular time periods. For instance, the music for Spy is very much your typical secret agent type music, Twisting is a typical 50's type song, Sleeping in the Flowers reminds me of a 60s type song, Hotel Detective is a typical hard rock song, Alienation's for the Rich is a typical country-style song, S-E-X-X-Y is a typical 70s song and I'm sure there are others which I can't think of now. Does anyone else see such similarities? This is just my opinion, of course. One last note, I was reading the TMBG newsgroup (something which I rarely do) and noticed a few postings by people who claim to have witnessed Linnell peeing off the side of the stage into the audience during Particle Man. Someone else posted that they saw him come on stage smoking a joint and looking and acting very wasted. Of course, I realize that you can't believe what everyone tells you, but this seems contrary to everything I've heard about Linnell. Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Strings in rock and in TMBG Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:50:04 -0500 (EST) > > >You are confusing two different issues. Strings have never been important > >in the genre of rock music. One could argue that brass and woodwinds are > >also "classical" instruments, and yet many, many teenagers are listening > >to music right now which is dominated by these instruments. I doubt that > >it is because they think woodwinds are "cool" or because they spend there > >free time playing air-trumpet. These instruments are much more closely > >associated with the history of the genre, however, and that may be why > >they tend to dominate over strings in rock music. It has little to do with > >age stereotypes or generation gaps, though. > > I need to take issue with some of these comments. Personally, I think > strings have ALWAYS been important in rock. From the Beatles and Phil > Spector, down through Elton John and Bruce Springsteen, to Smashing Pumpkins > (who apply them liberally, from what I've heard) and even that "Glycerine" > song. If it's not something used once just as some kind of experiment or > pretentious attempt to seem more "legitimate," then it can actually be an > important part of the music. I'm not saying that strings can not or have not been used well in rock music. I'm saying that if you trace the history of rock music from its antecedents, you will find that strings have not played an important role in the genre from the roots onward through much of its development. Guitars, pianos, percussion, saxophones and brass have had much, much more of an influence. They are the basic historical building blocks of rock instrumentals. Contrary to what you say, strings have often been considered rather experimental in rock music, or certainly not commonplace. They are usually the marked case, the exception. For instance, when George Martin suggested the addition of a string quartet to Paul McCartney for "Yesterday," Paul was reluctant because he associated string sections with muzak-styled sounds rather than with rock songs. "None of that Mantovani #@$%!" he protested. Nobody had grown up listening to string-laden rock yet at that point, and strings have remained something of a novel rather than a necessary element. Rock is an amazingly versatile genre, and many instruments from sitars to theremins have all been used to good effect. They just have not played any relatively important role in the development of the genre, and therefore (in part) have never become indispensible components. That's all I was saying, simply that there are traceable historical reasons for the relatively low frequency of strings in rock. I like them, myself. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: tribute album by the fans Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:52:43 -0500 (EST) > I've contributed to tribute albums on other mailing lists and they > usually turn out to be pretty neat. Except one time, this guy didn't > send me a song. Instead, he sent me a death threat and a manilla > envelope full of bloody nails. > Somebody seems a wee bit over-sensitive here. Regardless, my idea for a song contribution has just been quashed:-( m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:00:42 -0500 (EST) From: frankh@awod.com (Brother JohnBejezus) Subject: TMBG: Things, wings, and onion rings Hello folks, as usual I have waited for several ideas to develop in me mind and then posted. I write them down as I think of them and then post when I have 3 or so. I suggest some of you also try this approach. Now for those of you who weren't disgusted by that display of rude egotism (is that a word? :) Brian Dewan: While in a cd store the other day, I stumbled upon the Brian Dewan cd "Brian Dewan Tells The Story" Man this thing rocks! I know where my paycheck is goin this friday. Go out, listen to it, you'll love it! "The Letter" had me laughing out loud in the store. The art and photos in this album take us to... J. Otto Seibold: He did some of the photos and a drawing (I think) I also noticed that he did the mic photo in Apollo 18, and of course all that other stuff that has been mentioned. These NY guys are super tight-knit, eh. They always end up linking to each other. John Linnell's organ: Calm down ladies, I'm just refering to the fact that, now that I have started listening for it, there is a tremendous amount of organ throughout TMBG's music. Most of it sounds like a hammond B3 and I remember John L saying that he used one of those on JH. Listen up, it's in alot of songs Fair Mrs. Walter: My AP US History teacher. She's a goofy lady, so I made her a tape of "historical" TMBG songs. They be: James K. Polk (Istanbul version), Istanbul (NC), Purple Toupee, Meet James Ensor, Nixon's The One, and James K. Polk (FS version) I'm givin it to her tomorrow. I hope she likes it :) That's all fer now. Yo pal, Brother JohnBejezus *---------------------------------- Brother JohnBejezus - frankh@awod.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9677 Michael: ...and doing is half the battle. Me: I thought it was "knowing is half the battle" Michael: Well doing's the other half. *----------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:07:22 -0500 (EST) > > Regarding Matthew Coon's post in the last digest: > Aw, call me m@t. That other thing's just a pseudonym for tax purposes. > I should point out that stereotypes are all-encompassing. If I was to say > "all old people are senile", that would be a stereotype. However, if I was to > say "some old people are senile", that wouldn't be a stereotype. Some old > people are, in fact, very senile. To explain, not argue: I say it's still a stereotype because you are attaching an attribute to a whole group of people, many of whom you admit don't deserve it. Some old people are senile, but many more aren't. What your statement implies, intentionally or not, is that any "old person" you encounter has a greater potential to be senile just by being a member of that particular age group. That is suddenly now a generalization: a heightened potential to be guilty until shown to be innocent (or senile until proven sound), as it were. > Yes, the two lists are very different. The median age of Chalkhills ^^^^^^^^^^ > is much higher, the posts generally are longer and the content ^^^^^^^^^^^ > more substantial > Hmm, deja vu. Do the Chalkhills list members like strings more than we do?:-) [extra smileys:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)] m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:16:50 -0500 From: DOUGLAS ALEXANDER Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: dispelling rumors Jenifer W Stewart wrote: > > One last note, I was reading the TMBG newsgroup (something which I rarely > do) and noticed a few postings by people who claim to have witnessed > Linnell peeing off the side of the stage into the audience during > Particle Man. Someone else posted that they saw him come on stage > smoking a joint and looking and acting very wasted. Of course, I realize > that you can't believe what everyone tells you, but this seems contrary > to everything I've heard about Linnell. You're right -- don't believe everything you hear. And ESPECIALLY not rumors of Linnell being stoned or peeing into the audience. These rumors were started by some jerk on the other newsgroup, a person who delights in causing trouble, who alternatly praises and slanders a single subject. (ie 'FS sucks compared to old albums" and "FS is far superior to the other albums") I don't want to put down the person, he has a heart and a soft side. However, he also has a really annoying side, and that's the side this information is coming from. Now, come on. Does this image match up with the John(s) we've all come to know and love? As for Linnell's glasses, I heard that he's farsighted. That would mean he CAN see the audience. Of course, I could be wrong, but I heard this from a reliable source. -Mismirilda ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:15:30 -0500 (EST) > Robert Mootrey writes: > > I'm going to see Gordon Lightfoot tonight!!! > ^^^^^^^ At sundown? You'd better take care! m@t ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Strings in rock and in TMBG Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:17:36 -0800 I think one of the most brilliant (brilliantest?) marriages of strings and classical music with rock were the Moody Blues from the late 60's til the late 70's (since then they have been mostly synth-pop rock). They had some brilliant lyrics (at times), at times they could be overblown, but the whole album "In search of the lost chord" and then the songs "tuesday afternoon" and "nights in white satin" were incredible. I've seen them live a couple times, once with the san diego symphony, and they were enjoyable experiences. I am a little young to be a fan of theirs I guess, but my mom played all their albums when I was a kid and I really grew to like them. On a TMBG note, is anyone else planning on going to see them in San Diego at 4th & B? Charles > > I need to take issue with some of these comments. Personally, I think > > strings have ALWAYS been important in rock. From the Beatles and Phil > > Spector, down through Elton John and Bruce Springsteen, to Smashing Pumpkins > > (who apply them liberally, from what I've heard) and even that "Glycerine" > > song. If it's not something used once just as some kind of experiment or > > pretentious attempt to seem more "legitimate," then it can actually be an > > important part of the music. > > I'm not saying that strings can not or have not been used well in rock music. > I'm saying that if you trace the history of rock music from its antecedents, > you will find that strings have not played an important role in the genre > from the roots onward through much of its development. Guitars, pianos, > percussion, saxophones and brass have had much, much more of an influence. > They are the basic historical building blocks of rock instrumentals. > > Contrary to what you say, strings have often been considered rather > experimental in rock music, or certainly not commonplace. They are usually > the marked case, the exception. For instance, when George Martin suggested > the addition of a string quartet to Paul McCartney for "Yesterday," Paul > was reluctant because he associated string sections with muzak-styled sounds > rather than with rock songs. "None of that Mantovani #@$%!" he protested. > Nobody had grown up listening to string-laden rock yet at that point, and > strings have remained something of a novel rather than a necessary element. > > Rock is an amazingly versatile genre, and many instruments from sitars to > theremins have all been used to good effect. They just have not played > any relatively important role in the development of the genre, and therefore > (in part) have never become indispensible components. > > That's all I was saying, simply that there are traceable historical reasons > for the relatively low frequency of strings in rock. > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:24:09 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: Re: TMBG: My own private Idaho Show Hey Dan! I am in Pullman Washington... Moscow is a whole 8 miles away... Cub is opening, and I am still not sure that that is a good thing from everything i have been hearing... Hopefully this show will rock... I have talked to a few others on the list that are going... keep in touch... FREAK FLAG: Almost done... (woooohoooo!) At 07:10 PM 11/12/96 -0500, Darwnchrls@aol.com wrote: >Does anyone know who (if anyone) is opening for the band at the UI student >union ballroom show on thursday? I just found out about the show and am >wondering if they have the show all to themselves, or if there is an opening >band. Also does anyone know of the cool cover tunes that they have been >doing live lately? In Seattle last year they did the ever-so-popular >Frankensein and then the next day they did The Ramones "I want to be sedated" >and they were awesome show pieces. >Thanks in advance! >Dan > > Matthew K Puvogel RaVeNmAsTeR productions ltd. 1996 "I was walking down Haight Street, in Sanfrancisco, when counter-cultered youth cornered me... She had a freshly died purple mohawk, $120 Doc Martin Boots, so in other words she was wearing about as much equity as I had made so far this year, and with a wanting look, on her pale face, she asked me for some change...... I said change comes from within..." (Wally Pleasant-- Houses of the Holy Moly) ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: Weekly World Linnell Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:30:08 -0500 (EST) > > I have only been on the list for about a month so I'm sorry if this has > already been posted but are Linnell's fingers double-jointed? I was > watching the video for Snail shell recently and noticed that he holds up > is fingers a lot and they look sort of deformed;). I don't know about his fingers, but I think his teeth may be... [double-jointed or deformed? You decide!] > One last note, I was reading the TMBG newsgroup (something which I rarely > do) and noticed a few postings by people who claim to have witnessed > Linnell peeing off the side of the stage into the audience during > Particle Man. Someone else posted that they saw him come on stage > smoking a joint and looking and acting very wasted. Of course, I realize > that you can't believe what everyone tells you, but this seems contrary > to everything I've heard about Linnell. > Then why would you even consider believing these stories? I think that they deserve to be taken with a grain of salt roughly the size of Utah. (Can you say, "troll?") m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:32:33 -0500 (EST) > > > >Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... > > >I call it The Big Blue Dog > > > > >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. > > I prefer to call it: "24 hr+ coffee album" Or "Food Shelter Fun". > > or "the dancing pink snowmen album" (on the actual CD) > Or, of course, Mr. Blobby's Buttknob... m@t [leaving very quickly before he gets injured] ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:39:58 -0500 (EST) > Josh, > I'm not saying that you're wrong, but something sounds weird about this. Just > guessing off hand, it seems like most of TMBG's albums have around twenty or > so tracks (not including Apollo's 30+ tracks). Yet FS only has 13. I'm sure > that they do have seven or so extra songs already recorded, so why didn't > they just put them on FS? It seems like it would make more sense to have one > great album packed with a lot of high quality stuff than two shorter albums > released within less than 12 monthes of each other. How are they going to > keep up the touring enough to sell the next album so soon after FS? This also > breaks the two year cycle that they have already gotten so comfortable with. > Once again, I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, it's just that > something sounds funny about this. Well, I can think of a reason for releasing two albums, mucho more publicity. Imagine, getting lots of radio airplay for FS and then 1 year or less later getting mucho airplay for their new album, Flying Danishes in Hot Sauce. I mean, this could be big money, especially since Flans is now married and has to buy more stuff. As for touring, they are the hardest working band in showbiz (now that the Grateful Dead bit it). They tour non-stop. I cannot point out 1 time in the past 2 or more years where they were not out on the road for a month. They sure do love to tour. That is probably the most wonderful thing about TMBG, ya know? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Things, wings, and onion rings Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:39:07 -0500 (EST) > > Brian Dewan: While in a cd store the other day, I stumbled upon the Brian > Dewan cd "Brian Dewan Tells The Story" Man this thing rocks! I know where my > paycheck is goin this friday. Go out, listen to it, you'll love it! "The > Letter" had me laughing out loud in the store. > > I absolutely, positively must second this motion! Every song is a gem. And, BTW, the "Cowboy Outlaw" song is actually based on a true story involving forensic anthropologist Clyde Snow... m@t ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: R.H. Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:37:31 -0500 (EST) Is anyone in the Washington-Baltimore area going to see Robyn Hitchcock at the 9:30 club? Or if you weren't planning on going are you now going to go tomorrow night? E-mail me if so! See ya Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:03:49 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > I think that that is basically the idea. To the best of my knowledge, > Linnell does not wear contacts; he simply takes his specs off before > the show. He is really rather a small, shy, and somewhat nervous > man, and I have always assumed that his "lack of vision" onstage > probably makes him more at ease. Not being able to see the crowd is > probably more calming than being aware of hundreds of spectators > likely would be. > I never thought of it that way. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I have to get up on stage. Gee, I just feel more and more kinship with Linnell the more I learn about him...if it weren't for the age difference, I'd almost think he was my long lost twin! :) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: DarkKnigtX@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:24:07 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Info Club by eMail Does anyone know the address to eMail for the purpose of joining the TMBG info mail club? Thanks, DarkKnight ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:33:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-310 Does anyone have live versions of the following songs? The World's Address wirlpool Stand on your own head mrs. train minimunm wage I'm def women and men till my head falls off they might be giants metal detector my evil twin your own worst enemy hallof heads I can hear you (other than album version) hypnotist of ladies bells are ringing fingertips o' tannenbaum hey, mr. dj christmas cards lady is a tramp hell hotel birds fly become a robot nightgown of the sullen moon I've got a world that swings anyone? anyone? nick hello radio mr. klaw ant cabbagetown welcome to the jungle I blame you moving to the sun ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:05:26 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG:Conan/ SEXXY Chris wrote:it, > the Giants aren't that kind of band and (correct me if I am wrong), >they really didn't even write the song.. Err, They co-wrote it, which definately counts for smoething. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:35:04 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Greaseman Just thought this might be of interest. I happened to turn on the Greaseman radio show (nationally syndicated, broadcast locally on WJFK in DC). After a commercial break, I heard the opening Istanbul riff, and then they kept playing the rest of the song (with the greaseman singing along at some points). After it was finished all Greaseman had to say was "that was a nice little tune". Anyway, just thought this might of interest. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: conan (on right now...tues) Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:54:11 EST was watching conan and andy said that he went to a tmbg concert last weekend and conan said, oh yeah, we had them on last friday!! did he mean last wed or were they REALLY on (not just music. guests) on friday (i guess that's unlikely)? that's all, thanks, jan. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:54:45 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: radio + OAT > > Pere Ubu had this > >little contraption consisting of a box with two metal triangles on top of > >it, and depending on where you placed your hands, it would change pitch. > >Very odd sound, but very cool... > > That's a theremin. (sp?) > Whoa, a rock band that uses a theremin? I gotta check these guys out... > I do have to point out that apparently Pere Ubu only uses that theremin thingie in concert (and I'm pretty sure they broke up--anybody know for sure?) I listened to Story of My Life (the album released right before they toured with Them), and the Theremin was nowhere to be heard. Oh well... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu P.S. BTW, I'm relatively sure that Tony Maimone played bass for Pere Ubu. They get their folks from great bands... (at the very least, Tony played on Bob Mould's Black Sheets of Rain album) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:09:40 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Nov-96 TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious .. by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > I keep trying, and yet I still seem to hear his voice even when he's > not singing "wig on her..." > > I just find this very disturbing. As though the classical laws of > physics didn't hold up, or something. Well, when they were on Letterman in 1992 and played I Palindrome I, the guy at the sound board had a mic and joined in for the "Man o man" part (or whatever it says, let's not argue over it). It's entirely possible that there was someone at a mic that we couldn't see. The other possibility is that you want to or expect to hear it that way. I have a large collection of MIDI files of TMBG songs, and when I play them, I sometimes hear the Johns' voices over them... the same thing happens when I hear, for example, NYC... I can hear whichever version I want when listening to either. It's really strange, but cub's voices seem to appear on the TMBG version sometimes. Additionally, in trying to make all these MIDI files, I've listened to parts of songs extensively, trying to hear different instruments. Listen carefully to "The Statue Got Me High" some time. It'll be easier to hear on a concert tape, which is where I noticed it originally, but in the "An animated mineral it can be heard" parts (and similar), Linnell #1 is actually singing a whole tone higher than Linnell #2 (at least for the parts where it makes sense to). In concert, Flans' mic is turned down during Statue because Linnell sings the lead vocal, so his part is much more prominent, but I was somehow able to make it out on the record... And, of course, back on the subject of wanting to hear things, have you ever listened to a song without first knowing what the lyrics were? I have, and on the first listen, it sounds a certain way, and I can't understand certain words. Once I find out what the actual line is, I can hear it clearly... I'm sure I'm not the only person to experience this. That's my $2.98... (inflation is very high these days :) ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:15:58 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: conan (on right now...tues) I saw Conan Friday. I think. correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the show with Cake....Right? Anyway, I don't believe they were.....Just a foul up, I believe. I thought he said wed, but then again I was the idiot who thought they were going to show a clip of Andy with TMBG, so I did miss a good bit of that part. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:16:00 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: hours and eyes by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > I think that that is basically the idea. To the best of my knowledge, > Linnell does not wear contacts; he simply takes his specs off before > the show. He is really rather a small, shy, and somewhat nervous > man, and I have always assumed that his "lack of vision" onstage > probably makes him more at ease. Not being able to see the crowd is > probably more calming than being aware of hundreds of spectators > likely would be. Is he really that shy & nervous? He didn't seem to mind the AOL chat thing. If he was that uncomfortable with large crowds, he wouldn't have gone into the performing business. I think everyone makes him out to be that way because he doesn't like to hang around after shows. But he gave a very good reason for that... and probably he also doesn't want to be totally swarmed. Keep in mind that most people are more comfortable with people they know anyway... and Linnell doesn't know the audience at all. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:24:27 -0500 From: Daniel Carpio Subject: TMBG: Pink vs Blue >It's the *Pink* album, dammit! Pink! Pink! Pink! Notice that it is pink >in color. Notice that only about 10% of the big blue dog is visible on the >front cover. I hope i'm not upsetting too many of you by once again reviving this thread, but my copy of the *pink* album, the cassette (how primative) version by bar none/restless does not contain even a small percentage of the infamous blue dog, in fact the only blue things i can find are the cut ff street sign, the globe, the self-propelled vacuum, the dreidle with a house on top, and the fish bowl. I guess that since i have the cassette that they did a crop job on the album art and therefore forced me to refer to the tape as the pink album, But wait , i've always called it They Might Be Giants. peace in the hood, Dan *---------------------------------- Uhhh ? Sig??? Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground. - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:33:32 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Cleveland 12/4? Is anyone in the Pittsburgh area going to the Cleveland show on the 4th who can take a couple of extra passengers? None of the TMBG fans here have cars, and none of the people with cars are obsessed enough to drive 2 hours to see them. If you are willing to drive extra people to Cleveland and leave the CMU campus at approximately 4:30 on Dec4, please email me. Thanks. ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:52:58 -0500 Subject: TMBG: stuff I wanted to say. Hey, this is my first posting in a while. Just some things I wanted to discuss. 1. Concert on Friday in SLC! Yes! I can't wait. I am so excited! I was wondering the other day about Road Token to Brooklyn (is that it's name?) I found it as soon as I brought the disc home, and heard this little snippet before S-E-X-X-Y (which is a very cool song, also) I rewound it, and listened to the whole thing. Can anyone give me more info on it? My friends and I call it the "negative song". Is there an easier way to play it, besides just rewinding from track 1? And why is it call ed RTtB? Just from the first line? I think that some very cool songs are: I'll sink Manhattan, Absolutely Bill's Mood, and Narrow your Eyes. There are much more that I like, but those are the songs I am craving as I write this. Where I live, no one knows who TMBG is, or if they have, they only have Flood, and maybe A18. That sucks. Things that disapoint me about Factory Showroom: Added those 3 other guys to credits. NO LYRIC SHEET! only 13 songs (compared to the average of somewhere around 17 - 38!) No short, really cool songs (like Cage & Aquarium) otherwise, the album is pretty awesome. Though to ponder: AKA driver and Till my Head Falls Off. Do NyQuil and Advil have some sort of tie? I think a good idea for the list is a check on Dial-A-Song. Rotate shifts, and have the person who's shift it is call D-A-S, find out what song it is, and post it to the list. (did that make any sense?) Okay, I think I'll shut up now. Your Welcome. ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:53:10 -0500 Subject: TMBG: sorry, but I'm posting again. SOme more things I have to say: I love SEXXY! I don't see why it is so unpopular. Although it is different from a lot of Their other music, it is a great song. Please give me information on SuperFueled. I haven't heard anything about it. I would love to know more. ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:53:14 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album I call it the "Circus Album", because of the parade on the front. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:55:06 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: conan (on right now...tues) Raldus@aol.com wrote: > > I saw Conan Friday. I think. correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the show > with Cake....Right? > Yup, it was the show with CAKE. I missed it. :( -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-311 ******************************