Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-312 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 312 Thursday, 14 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: First Album Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers TMBG: Wishes, The Letter, Info TMBG: TMBG Comic Anthology TMBG:THEM:The Early Years Scoop TMBG: ICE ARTICLE part one TMBG: Re:Floopyglop's First Post TMBG: Cover versions Re: TMBG: stuff TMBG: Priority: normal TMBG: BOBA MAIL: TRA LA LA TMBG: Magnetic Fields, New Album, Re: Reasons Already Explained Re: TMBG: Cover versions TMBG: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: stuff Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 TMBG: Linnell's fingers, Flans' songs, etc. TMBG: Missouri tour dates? TMBG: apollo 38 TMBG: cool station Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA TMBG: Shtuff (Part 2) Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 TMBG: My closing remarks / Conan TMBG: Sonicnet chat TMBG: I can see you - can barely see you (none) TMBG: Help me find the things I'm looking for TMBG: Flans: Genre Master (Re:) TMBG: Do lets start!!! TMBG: life can be good TMBG: A rumor? Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote TMBG: first post TMBG: Australian Release of FS TMBG: shirts and stuff. Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote TMBG: TMBG Next LP/2nd L.A. show added TMBG: Linnell's vision TMBG: i was at tower records TMBG: Larry Sanders TMBG: this might flood my mailbox but TMBG: Dial a Song TMBG: Larry Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: i was at tower records TMBG: Re: TMBG in Petaluma...are you SURE??? TMBG: TMBG in Petaluma! Re: TMBG: shirts and stuff. TMBG: Re: TMBG in Petaluma...are you SURE??? TMBG: Petaluma TMBG: How to record DAS TMBG: Re: My own private Idaho Show TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue TMBG: Re: life can be good Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:09:37 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album GuavaBoy9@aol.com wrote: > > I call it the "Circus Album", because of the parade on the front. I know, why don't we see how many names we can come up with for it!(semi-sarcastic) 1. Grand Opening (notice it appears twice on the cover) 2. Truth or Sandwiches 3. Dreams Realized 4. Satellite and Fish Bowl (both of them have a house on or in them) 5. We're Here To Serve You Better 6. The Parade Album 7. (Do I really need to continue?) -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 03:04:06 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers > ever listened to a song without first knowing what the lyrics were? I > have, and on the first listen, it sounds a certain way, and I can't > understand certain words. Once I find out what the actual line is, I > can hear it clearly... I'm sure I'm not the only person to experience > this. Hehe, last summer I was being exposed against my will to Top 40 radio and I heard TLC's song "Waterfalls" a lot. At first, I thought they were singing "Stone Cold Jason Waterfall" (instead of Don't go chasin' waterfalls) and I kept thinking "what the heck would they sing a song like that for?" I do this a lot though....Maybe my hearing is just not very good. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Actual Newspaper Headline: Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 03:33:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Wishes, The Letter, Info Hello 41- Happy birthday to Stef, and anyone else's birthday I might have missed. The letter- I tried to start this as a chainletter once, and it didn't work... Info Club- Well, I got mine today. Too bad it was all here before I got it! Adam's Do it yourself .sig file You live in Los Angeles, and you are going to Raceda. We are all in some way or another going to Raceda some day, to die. Soul Coughing ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 03:19:35 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: TMBG: TMBG Comic Anthology As if right now, there are more that twenty people contributing work to the comic book. I will be compiling a "who's who" list (hopefully) within the next two weeks. So, if there is anyone else interested who has not contacted me, PLEASE DO SO SOON. Writers and illustrators are both welcome. For everyone who did answer, thanks! If you are able to do so at this early point, (and if you haven't done so already), please send me a general idea of what you want to do (writers AND illustrators). This is not something you have to stick to (if you get different ideas later on, go with them). I'm just looking for very basic notions to help match writers with illustrators (although if you're doing both, I'm still interested). Once completed, the list will be sent out to everyone contributing. Thank you, -Cuper. P.S. This will probably be the last time I use the list to announce anything about the comic book. All further info will be sent via private e-mail. Sorry to everyone not interested in the anthology. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:54:56 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG:THEM:The Early Years Scoop Well the new ICE (International CD Exchange Newsletter) arrived today and who should be on the cover but...John and John. There is a huge article about the New Restless set with details about the 19 extra tracks. I don't have time to write the whole contents of the article, maybe I'll have time tomorrow but for now the crucial facts and a few tidbits... Anyway...as everyone knows...the set contains The first album,Lincoln and Misc. T. plus the following... 1.)The Critic Intro 2.)Now I Have Everything 3.)Mainstream U.S.A. 4.)Fake oUt in Buenos Aires 5.)Greek #3 6.)Hope that I get old before I Die (original acoustic version) 7.)I'm Def 8.)Don't Let's Start (demo) 9.)'85 radio Special thank You 10.)Kitten Intro 11.)Weep Day 12.)Big big Whoredom 13.)Getting Sentimental Over You 14.)Become A Robot 15.)Which Describes How You're Feeling (original version) 16.)Swing is a Word 17.)Doris Bewitched 18.)Counterfeit Fake 19.)Children Singing Particle Man Many of the songs were all recorded prior to 1986. They said that the songs from the original albums will be in chronological order but not the unreleased stuff. therefore Misc. T. will be split in half. It comes out January 21st. Contains 32 page booklet w/ liner notes. I'll try to post the article tomorrow if I have time. till then Herne ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:34:48 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: ICE ARTICLE part one Well I can't get to sleep so here's the TMBG article from the new (DEC. 1996) ICE Newsletter. If I run out of gas before I finish...I'll post the rest around 8 or 9pm Pacific time Wed. Please forgive all typos... Here we go... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS' EARLY YEARS ENCAPSULATED ON NEW DOUBLE DISC SET Due January 21st on Restless, THEN: The EARLY YEARS is a boon for longtime TMBG fans and recent converts alike. A 2 cd "Box Set", The Early Years brings together the entirety of the Brooklyn based bands three albums for Bar/None/Restless Records: 1986's self-titled debut, 1988's Lincoln and 1991's B-side compilation Misc. T. the set is fleshed out with 19 rare and previously unrealeased tracks. "The set has a total of 72 tracks," Restless VP of Businesss Affairs, David Gerber tells ICE "with each disc maxed out at 70 minutes of music>" The origins of the Restless retrospective can be traced to an inspired (and, somehow, typically Giants-like) Combination of fortuitous timing and post-adolescent experience. "the immediate events that preceded this thing were that we got the rights back to our early records," TMBG's John Flansburgh tells ICE. "I was trying to think of the best way to keep our back catalog in print, and-strange as it sounds- doing a collection like this is exactly the kind of thing that raises the profile of your early albums. "When I was a teenager," Flansburgh continues, "I found out about the Who through a bunch of $3.99-priced double albums reissued on MCA, which were basically the first four albums bundled in two sets. I was as tantalized by this incredible value and repackaging scheme as I was at discovering the Who." Clearly, The Earrly Years is far more than a cynical "repackaging scheme," as it received the deluxe treatment from Flansburgh and co-Giant John Linnell in everything from audio-fidelity to graphic design. "I basically spent three days in my home studio with some open-reel tape recorders no one had used in ten years," Flansburgh explains, "Some of the tapes were already decaying, which was terrible, really heartbreaking. "We did a bit of EQ-ing on the tapes just because our tastes at the time ran to the harshest, most treble-y sounds possible, when we thought that a faster tempo and more treble would grab people's attention, because wer were so scared that no one would listen." Although TMBG tweaked the knobs a hair in the remastering process, Flansburgh offers comfort for those dyed-in-the-wool types who liked the band's first few albums just the way they were. "The new CDs will sound a bit warmer, with more 'low end,' but it's not like a total Frank Zappa-like retread, screwing up what you know about them. We just shined them up a bit. the casual listener will hardly notice a change." As has been standard practice since their debut, the Giants were inimately involved in crafting the look and feel of the CD artwork. "The design we chose was like Neil Young's DECADE, which, I think, is the best kind of CD reissue package you can do, because it fits in with your CD collection. I think it's a little pretentious when they do these odd shaped box sets that you stick on the shelf. Ours look like three CDs, but it's really two with a big, fat (32 page) booklet on the inside. We wrote some pretty extensive liner notes, which gave us an opportunity to tell the story of the band's early years." For the most part, the tracks on THE EARLY YEARS are in chronological order. To that end, Miscelaneous T is "split in half," notes Flansburgh, "because half of it was actually recorded between our first two albums, and half was recorded after the second album." Only the bonus tracks, some of which appear at the end of each CD, are non-chronological, "because we couldn't fit them all onto the end of the second disc." In fact, all of the bonus tracks were recorded before 1986, making them at least as old as - if not older than - the band's Bar/None debut. Okay I'm out of gas...tomorrow the rest of the article where the 19 bonus songs are listed along with commentary from Flans. Till then... END PART ONE, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:57:24 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Re:Floopyglop's First Post Mr. Floop is course correct...the Chalkhills debate was about censorship and not about Clinton...I got some wires crossed on that one and incidentally the comment was a bit of a throwaway and not a crucifiction of Chalkhills as a hostile list. If I did, I didn't mean to of course. To all those who got peeved with portions of Floopy's first post...it's probably just that first post disease where you explode with pent up feelings and opinions...oft times more intensely than you mean to. But then again..."Sketchy underdeveloped tunes" WHAT???...Just because you don't have 30 million tracks and overdubs doesn't necessarily make you sketchy. Many of They's songs could be seen as throwaways or goofs but let's not get carried away. Some of them are a lot more complicated than they appear at first glance. And I don't think everyone's waiting for another Lincoln...(except maybe the Republican Party...which instead has morons like allegedly deposed Orange County bigot Bob Dornan...who claims he's lost the election cause "illegal aliens" conspired against him...but enough about politics.) It's just that Factory Showroom is still pretty new and different and may take a little more time for the faithful to warm up to. And Classical is always hip in my book and I don't think anyone around here has the impression that TMBG does anything contrived so as to be considered hip...nor do the fans who have posted here demand "hipness" and non-popularity. All they want is the new single and to go to a show. Later folks... Herne p.s....as for the "grow up" part...alas I fear that I have. ------------------------------ From: cordelia@stayfree.co.uk Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:20:44 GMT Subject: TMBG: Cover versions Hello List People, Would anyone be interested in hearing my band (The Creams)'s version of "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes"? It came out on a single and on our "Pluto" CD. Write to cordelia@stayfree.co.uk for our mail order list. We were also thinking of recording a cover version of a whole TMBG album. Which one do you think we should do? Here is a multiple choice: a) Do [insert name of album here] because....... b) Don't even think about it you stupid git. Yours, Alan. P.S. Are there any good TMBG bootlegs out on CD? Or don't you approve of this sort of thing? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:07:20 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff > or "the dancing pink snowmen album" (on the actual CD) > >Or, of course, Mr. Blobby's Buttknob... i love it when people say "BUTTKNOB"!!!!!!! thanks m@t.... "bop a doppa bop a doppa bop a doppa bop a doppa.... exquisite buttknob..." -- Green Jello "I dream up things about you when you look away" - "Look Away" Blake Babies http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:48:05 EST Subject: TMBG: Priority: normal Bobby Grabill Wrote: > Speaking of Istanbul, why in the video in concert, at the chorus, they go > oooooooaaaaaoooooooaaaaaooooooo. But on the album they went doo doo doo doo doo > doo doo doo doo doo? They do both, Flans on OOAAOO. Trumpets on Doo Doo Doo. -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole." - From The Grinch Song boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:29:09 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: TRA LA LA Good Daaaaaaaaaaay, Listies! I have the solution to the mysterious Linnell missing vocals on Conan! They were doing their soundcheck previous to the show when all of a sudden Linnell said, "I can't do it, John, I just can't sing those lines." Flans said, "Oh dear, what are we to do?" Max Weinberg came over and said, "I'll do it!" Flans & Linnell said simultaneously, "NO, MAX! WE WANT ANDY!" Andy said, " Ok, I'll do it. You guys are the next Milli Vanilli, now!" John & John said, "No, we are the original Milli Vanilli." Love, Boba -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole." - From The Grinch Song boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boots.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:49:01 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Magnetic Fields, New Album, Re: Reasons Already Explained It seems that everyone who went to see the Magnetic Fields open up for They hated them...Is there anyone at all on the list that actually likes the Magnetic Fields? I have been intending to buy an album of theirs because the main player in the Mag Fields did a Hello EP calling himself the Gothic Archies. It was (& is) one of the most brilliant discs I have ever listened to by anyone, it impressed me to no end. I would expect that anyone that could put out a cd like that must have some large amount of talent! To everyone who's been discussing why only 13 of the Tracks They had prepared were put on Factory Showroom... There are two reasons. The first is that some tracks (particularly the mini-tour songs like They Got Lost) according to They seemed to fit nicely together rather than with the other songs that ended up on FS. They wanted to keep the mini-tour songs together on their own album, because they work well as a set. The second reason is that some of the songs seemed to be a bit similar to the ones already on FS, & They didn't want to be repeticious with their song choices at all, & made sure all the tracks were very unique. I myself will be totally satisfied giant-wise as long as they release another short album next year, the length of FS doesn't bother me as long as I can get more new tmbg music. Finally: >Tenman (in paraphrase) said that Dave' post threw him off because he was trying >to explain something that was already explained, by those who dn't like the >mentioned songs. > In Dave's defense, didn't he say that he was new to the list? If he >hadn't heard the explanationss, he wouldn't be able to use them, and so would >have to build a reasoning structure of hiss own... Well, I saw it like this: If Dave was around to hear that people disliked FS, wouldn't he have been around to hear _Why_ they disliked it, seeing how people generally explain why they dislike it at the same time they do, in fact, say they dislike it? Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" They're the best thing since Canned Roses! 'Course the best thing before Canned Roses was Real Turnips, but don't blame me! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:58:34 -0500 (EST) From: "Shorty The Tall One [Niagara Crew]" Subject: Re: TMBG: Cover versions On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 cordelia@stayfree.co.uk wrote: > We were also thinking of recording a cover version of a whole TMBG album. > Which one do you think we should do? Here is a multiple choice: > > b) Don't even think about it you stupid git. I believe it was Linnell (sp?) who keeps on saying, if you are in a band it is important to do your own thing. A couple of covers are okay, but if you do too many, and of the same band especially, you get seen as a copy/wanna be. I think it best for you to try and develop your own music :) On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 Daniel Carpio wrote: >thread, but my copy of the *pink* album, the cassette (how primative) >version by bar none/restless does not contain even a small percentage of >the infamous blue dog, in fact the only blue things i can find are the cut Mine too is a cassette, but it is a COPIED cassette, and the cover was photocopied in black and white. Because it is not CD there are no Snowmen, it is a greyish color due to photocopying, and the dog is completely cut off! Oh sorrow! What to call it BUT TMBG? Steven J. Luke SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "And I don't love you anymore, and there is a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go-I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare." It just kinda slipped out, I didn't mean to let you know what I really thought, No no, honey wait that's not what I meant, come back here....OW! *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: "Jon Vile" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:27:22 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Apollo 18 >Mark Krakauer wrote: >> Just >> guessing off hand, it seems like most of TMBG's albums have around >> twenty or so tracks (not including Apollo's 30+ tracks). Yet FS only >> has 13. I'm sure that they do have seven or so extra songs already >> recorded, so why didn't they just put them on FS? Um, what version of Apollo 18 do you have, Mine's only got, um, 18 tracks on it. Admittedly Space Suit's called on the back track 38 but my CD player just calls it track 18, am I missing something here? Sorry for asking stupid questions by the way. I just wondered. __________________________ /This happy squirrel says: \ | Goodbye from | | j.vile@roehampton.ac.uk | \_______ ________________/ \ | \| |\__/| .~ ~. /o=o'`./ .' {o__, \ { / . . ) \ `-` '-' \ } .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _| ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:46:54 -0600 After reading m@t's reply, i think i will respond a little.... >Regarding Matthew Coon's post in the last digest: > >I should point out that stereotypes are all-encompassing. If I was to say >"all old people are senile", that would be a stereotype. However, if I was to >say "some old people are senile", that wouldn't be a stereotype. Some old >people are, in fact, very senile. Yeah, but dont say that on a NON SENILE OLD PERSON Mailing list. My point is, this is a tmbg list, and most (if not all) people who listen to they probably have higher taste in music than the average hootie-marilyn manson- or something. I think there is probably not one person here who hates strings. I lam right now listening to betthoven's 9th (i think).... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: hours and eyes Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:21:56 -0500 (EST) > > Is he really that shy & nervous? He didn't seem to mind the AOL chat > thing. An online chat is much less threatening than being swarmed by a crowd of fans. It is anonymous, impersonal, non-immediate. > If he was that uncomfortable with large crowds, he wouldn't have > gone into the performing business. > That's untrue - as strange as it may seem, many performers are intensely uncomfortable about being in front of large crowds. This I know with certainty. Flans is outgoing and obviously adores being on display, but Linnell seems much more quiet and private. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:31:28 -0500 (EST) Wyatt Glodell writes: > > After reading m@t's reply, i think i will respond a little.... > > > >Regarding Matthew Coon's post in the last digest: > > > >I should point out that stereotypes are all-encompassing [...] Since the attribution seemed a little ambiguous, I just want to clarify that, while I may have somehow inspired Wyatt's message, the material he quoted does not come from me in any form (not that it matters much). I believe that it is something he read a response of mine to, or else a response to something I've said... m@t What does he mean by this? ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:32:12 -0600 >>Mark Krakauer wrote: >>> Just >>> guessing off hand, it seems like most of TMBG's albums have around >>> twenty or so tracks (not including Apollo's 30+ tracks). Yet FS only >>> has 13. I'm sure that they do have seven or so extra songs already >>> recorded, so why didn't they just put them on FS? > >Um, what version of Apollo 18 do you have, Mine's only got, um, 18 >tracks on it. Admittedly Space Suit's called on the back track 38 but >my CD player just calls it track 18, am I missing something here? >Sorry for asking stupid questions by the way. I just wondered. ?????????????????? Did you manage to shove a tape into your cd playr? do you have the actual release? fingertips is 20 (19?) seperate tracks, and i belive it is impossible for a cd player (working correctly) to do that. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:33:21 -0600 >> or "the dancing pink snowmen album" (on the actual CD) >> > >>Or, of course, Mr. Blobby's Buttknob... > >i love it when people say "BUTTKNOB"!!!!!!! > >thanks m@t.... > >"bop a doppa bop a doppa bop a doppa bop a doppa.... exquisite >buttknob..." >-- >Green Jello > >"I dream up things about you when you look away" - "Look Away" Blake >Babies >http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ > STOP IT NOW!!!! NOOO!!! I AM NOT GONNA SIT THROGH ANOTHER BUTTKNOBS!!!!! NOOO!!!! NOT THE BUTTKNOB PARADIESSS!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:40:17 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote In a message dated 96-11-13 12:52:49 EST, you write: << After reading m@t's reply, i think i will respond a little.... >Regarding Matthew Coon's post in the last digest: > >I should point out that stereotypes are all-encompassing. If I was to say >"all old people are senile", that would be a stereotype. However, if I was to >say "some old people are senile", that wouldn't be a stereotype. Some old >people are, in fact, very senile. Yeah, but dont say that on a NON SENILE OLD PERSON Mailing list. My point is, this is a tmbg list, and most (if not all) people who listen to they probably have higher taste in music than the average hootie-marilyn manson- or something. I think there is probably not one person here who hates strings. I lam right now listening to betthoven's 9th (i think).... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- >> Heeheeee.....The irony in that reply is that by discussing stereotypes you have inadvertantly thrown out a few of your own. I listen to TMBG, yet I also listen to Marilyn Manso, and probably many of the other "popular crappie" bands that would be inserted in your blank. As far as "higher taste" goes I think....and mind you this is an OPINION, that it would be able to encompass appreciating the songwriting, playing, singing abilities of groups that you may not really like. ie....Darius Rucker (of hootie infamy) has an INCREDIBLE voice. While the songs may not be to my liking, I can appreciate that. You are probably right about the strings part, however I am no expert on this either. All I am trying to say is that enjoying music, and having "higher taste" does not mean that every band you like has to be incredible. It simply means appreciating the artistry, and recognizing what you like. everyone has their opinion, and that should be respected. Calling certain bands crappy, and insinuating that the listeners are of lower taste is in itself a form of bad taste. I know....It sounds like I am taking a shot at you, but I am not.......just stating an opinion. Brad ------------------------------ From: Mark Krakauer Date: Wed, 13 Nov 96 13:50:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 > Um, what version of Apollo 18 do you have, Mine's only got, um, 18 > tracks on it. Admittedly Space Suit's called on the back track 38 but > my CD player just calls it track 18, am I missing something here? > Sorry for asking stupid questions by the way. I just wondered. > -- End of excerpt from "Jon Vile" Jon, I don't know what version of Apollo you have, but mine has a new track number for each mini-song of fingertips, bringing the grand total to about 38. I guess they released different versions of the album. -Mark ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: TMBG: Linnell's fingers, Flans' songs, etc. Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:42:44 +0000 (GMT) Forwarded message: > From jenifer.stewart@juno.com Wed Nov 13 00:54:46 1996 > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Linnell's fingers, Flans' songs, etc. > Message-ID: <19961112.175800.7270.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> > X-Mailer: Juno 1.15 > X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-1,6-7,15-16,23-30 > From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) > Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:58:29 EST > Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org > Precedence: bulk > Reply-To: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) > Content-Length: 1434 > I warn everyone in advance, this is dull....(my bit that is!) > Hey guys:) > > I have only been on the list for about a month so I'm sorry if this has > already been posted but are Linnell's fingers double-jointed? I was > watching the video for Snail shell recently and noticed that he holds up > is fingers a lot and they look sort of deformed;). I know this is > trivial but I was just bored and curious > I don't think they are deformed: but then as I've never had the chance to see em close up I can't say for sure. It is very possible in my professional opinion that they could be hypermobile. If they are, then they'd be more a hindrance than a help. Using hypermobile fingers in work needing skilled, repetative movements can be very painful (my flatmate and her sister can atest to this) Trivial??? Godammit, these things make anatomy wonderful!!! Have you seen Linnell's sternocleidomastoid muscle? (the big neck one). It is very strange: you can see the sternal and clavicular heads at once, which, believe me, is odd. My little strangeness, ignore it...it'll go away.... Nicola (who will, God willing, be a Chartered Physio next year) ------------------------------ From: michael@weirdness.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:25:57 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Missouri tour dates? This going to be a dumb question..... Does anyone know when They will be in Missouri again? Thanks! Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:25:08 -0600 From: volcano Subject: TMBG: apollo 38 as it turns out, overseas releases of apollo 18 for some reason have fingertips all as one track, i remember them saying something about that when the album first came out... paul ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:43:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: cool station Kirsten said: >On the college station this morning, they started to play >"Exquisite Dead Guy," but the DJ stopped it in the middle and >started"Particle Man." Doh!! The DJ's a Floodie.. > Heh heh. My faithful station played EDG for me. I shoulda said Metal Detector, but I was so excited I said the first thing that came to mind. Anyway, see, in the afternoons, around 3pm (that would be eastern), they switch over to the high school stations in the area. And as long as they have something, they'll play it. So I called up yesterday and asked if they had any TMBG. The girl said "well, today all I think we have is Flood." (with a disappointed emphasis on the word "Flood"--she must be one of us!). Any hoo, she played Twisting for me. :) So to the big point to make this relevant to all of you: this station has real audio. The website is http://wber.monroe.edu. And if you want to listen to it on your computer, you can. :) If you have real audio. And, remember "free when you call from work"? well, in the afternoon, if you want to hear a song.... ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "No one wants to die--like this guy died-- die die, die die! Die die, die die! Worms eat your...eyes!" - Bruce McCulloch, Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:56:34 -0500 (EST) > Mark writes: > > > Jon Vile writes from the UK: > > > > Um, what version of Apollo 18 do you have, Mine's only got, um, 18 > > tracks on it. Admittedly Space Suit's called on the back track 38 but > > my CD player just calls it track 18, am I missing something here? > > Sorry for asking stupid questions by the way. I just wondered. > > Jon, I don't know what version of Apollo you have, but mine has a new track > number for each mini-song of fingertips, bringing the grand total to about > 38. I guess they released different versions of the album. > > Okay, since nobody else is jumping in I will point out that some European releases of Apollo 18 have all of Fingertips indexed as only one track. Not much fun on shuffle mode. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:16:04 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 Raldus@aol.com wrote: > Heeheeee.....The irony in that reply is that by discussing stereotypes you > have inadvertantly thrown out a few of your own. I listen to TMBG, yet I > also listen to Marilyn Manso, and probably many of the other "popular > crappie" bands that would be inserted in your blank. As far as "higher > taste" goes I think....and mind you this is an OPINION, that it would be able I fail to see the stereotype in his message. He simply stated his belief that certain bands are crappy and that poeple on this list, in his oppinion, have better taste. Weather this means they listen to the music that he lists as crappy doesn't really matter, he says (or at least I THINK he says [this is not quoted]) that the people who are limited to listening to these groups do not have the taste TMBG'rs do. Of course this opinion comes entirely out of the fact that he, and I, like TMBG far better than these "crappy" bands. Steven J. Luke SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "And I don't love you anymore, and there is a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go-I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare." It just kinda slipped out, I didn't mean to let you know what I really thought, No no, honey wait that's not what I meant, come back here....OW! *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:17:43 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Jon Vile: >>Um, what version of Apollo 18 do you have, Mine's only got, um, 18 >>tracks on it. Admittedly Space Suit's called on the back track 38 but >>my CD player just calls it track 18, am I missing something here? Wyatt Glodell: >Did you manage to shove a tape into your cd playr? do you have the actual >release? fingertips is 20 (19?) seperate tracks, and i belive it is >impossible for a cd player (working correctly) to do that. Jon has the UK release of A18, which has 18 tracks. There was a pressing error overseas, and Fingertips was not split up correctly in non-US releases. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:26:25 -0800 From: Chris Ricci Subject: Re: TMBG: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Neither have lyrics bursting from it, >as in "typical" (ugh) TMBG songs. Neither are about any of the "usual" >(ugh) TMBG topics, whimsical, depressing, factual, or otherwise. One's >about sex, the other's about '80's rock bands. Its fine to be different, all I am saying is that a different song probably would have done better on radio in my opinion for whatever thats worth.. and I am not saying that my opinion is right... Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:35:40 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Shtuff (Part 2) I'm sad that Concrete and clay won't be in the box set. Poop. To TRY and solve the conan mystery, someone was singing. My sister had never heard it before, and she agreed. The voice didn't sound a whole lot like Linnell. There were mikes in front of the string guys. Coincidence????? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:36:42 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 by Mark Krakauer@uva.pcmail > > -- End of excerpt from "Jon Vile" ^^^ The UK version of Apollo 18 got screwed up and when it was pressed, Fingertips was only one track about 5 minutes long, but was packaged in the regular Apollo 18 box, so the listing still says 38 for Space Suit, even though it's only 18. ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:07:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My closing remarks / Conan Hi! >To explain, not argue: I say it's still a stereotype because you are >attaching an attribute to a whole group of people, many of whom you >admit don't deserve it. Some old people are senile, but many more >aren't. I think your interpretation is too broad. Your definition would turn any true statement aimed statement (good, bad and neutral) into stereotype just because there are people out there in the same demographic to whom the statement doesn't apply. If you meant that only negative statements could be stereotypes, then I should point out that there's nothing wrong with being a teenager and disliking "S-E-X-X-Y" and "XTC vs. Adam Ant", simply because of the perhaps more-sophisticated sounding strings. To the guy who criticized Joshua Hall-Bachner: Even allowing for the labelling of Ruprecht the Ass as an asshole (considering his name and recurring bouts of rudeness, was it that much of a stretch?), Joshua has posted consistently concise and intelligent opinions on a regular basis, explaining his opinions and putting forth new ideas for others to discuss (there are several others on this list I could make similar claims about, too). Just about everyone on the Chalkhills list adores him, actually (his frequent postings have garnered him the simplistic initialled nickname of JHB and now those initials keep popping up in verb form to playfully refer to anyone who expands on their ideas in length). I wouldn't refer to him as a "deity", but he's pretty cool and I wouldn't be too harsh on him. And with that, I rest my argument on the string theory and related posts. Just so I won't be tempted to respond, I'll refrain from reading any further dissenting opinions. Now onto something else: I guess these digests aren't moderated, judging from yesterday's edition. I thought they were, then I read the "welcome to the list" post (repeated ad infinitum) and discovered that it's merely "administered" and not "moderated". So that doesn't make this list all that different in structure than the newsgroup, does it? S-E-X-X-Y on Conan: Considering the lack of significant airplay, I don't think it would've mattered if they had played something other than S-E-X-X-Y. There's no single in stores to promote, no widespread airplay, which means the only thing left for their performance to promote is Factory Showroom (any FS song would do). Personally, I think the gig will help sales a little bit (like most talk show gigs do), but since the album's already fallen off the charts (debuted at no. 88, down to no. 169 the second week, gone by the third week), so it won't have any recognizable effect on album sales. Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:14:11 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Sonicnet chat I did't attend the Sonicnet chat w/ flans... (wish I could have...) But I just read the transcript and he refered to SF as "Super-Charged Freakcicle" what's that all about, huh? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: I can see you - can barely see you Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:53:19 +1100 Christy said Anyway, does anybody know why Linnell would want to do this? Is he (uh...rats...which is the one where you can see see things that are close?) nearsighted? Then he wouldn't need his glasses to play instruments. Or does he just enjoy not being able to see a damn thing? --Christy When one plays an instrument and is good at it (I think over 15 years of professional playing make this valid) it is no longer an inanimate object. It actually becomes an extra limb!!! You could probably poke out both of Lin'ls eyes (for heavens sake DON'T!!) and it would make diddly-squat difference to his playing ability. Being a fellow four-eyed-git myoscopisy(!?) (short sightedness) doesn't mean that you can't see anything, it just means you cannot make out distinguishing features. So poor old Lin'l can probably SEE you - but don't expect him to recognise you up close!!! Cheers and beers :D 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:58:39 +1100 Jen said Subject: TMBG: Help me find the things I'm looking for Hi all. I've been looking around for some TMBG stuff so if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. 1. TMBG live from Asbury Park, NJ (Stone Pony) July 8, 1995. This was a rescheduled event from the Tradewinds (Sea Bright, NJ) on April 23, 1995. 2. TMBG live from Red Bank, NJ (Count Basie Theatre) mid January 1996. 3. TMBG radio interview on WHTG (106.3FM- Eatontown, NJ) August 14, 1996. About 45 minutes long, from 430-515pm. Talked about that nights concert at the Tradewinds and the release of Factory Showroom. 6 songs were played: 3 from Factory Showroom (including S-E-X-X-Y) and 3 live acoustic (including a very cool rendition of The Statue Got Me High). 4. TMBG live from Sea Bright, NJ (Tradewinds) August 14, 1996. 5. TMBG mailing list digest September 17, 1996. If anyone has taped copies of the first 4 items e-mail me personally and we'll try to make a deal. I have nothing much to trade, the only way this could work is if I send blank tapes out for someone to copy. Thanks in advance. Craig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:28:03 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Flans: Genre Master (Re:) >other songs of particular time periods. For instance, the music for Spy >YES!!! Flans is the genre master. I'm just dreading the day They >decide to do thrash metal!!! wasn't it in the FAQ or something saying that he wanted to do all different kinds of music or something like that? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Do lets start!!! Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:20:43 +1100 Hi-de-ho Sorry - three postings in a row! Arghhhh!!! That's what happens when you get into work early :ED (man with a moustache and a cheesy grin!). I received the 1985 demo tape the other day (thank you thank you thank you to the wonderful KITH Sarah :) :)). For those that haven't heard it - GET IT!!! It's an absolute crack up!! I have to use the word 'tacky' to describe that little casio organ that They play - it's so cute though. Certainly gives a different perspective on a lot of the songs. I also noticed that a lot of the songs that were altered from the Demo tape are the absolute gems of Their earlier work (exception of You'll Miss Me -lost a lot in the transformation). Bt imagined if They left Don't Lets Start the way it was (though the grunts were excellent) - it just wouldn't have been the extravaganza it was!! The point I'm trying to make is that the unaltered songs are the relatively mediocre songs on the future albums - imagined if They spruced up Chess Piece Face, what They could do with it!! Anyway, I spose that's all in the past. Back to work!! Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic PS What the heck is a Buttknob????? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:40:59 -0600 From: beaversg@galileo.stillwater.k12.mn.us (Greg Beaver-Seitz) Subject: TMBG: life can be good Hey everyone, I just found out that I am going to get the chance to interview John and John before their show in Minneapolis on the 29th of November. I'm rather happy and if anyone has any questions that you might think I should ask them for a high-school newspaper story please feel free to post them. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:43:30 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: A rumor? > I'll try to go as soon as I can get down to Bass (It's right down the >street, but I'm a lazy bastard) plus I need to find some friends to go >so I'm not wandering around by myself. I thought about going to the >Petaluma show, but I think the Warfield would be cooler. See? Someone else brings up the subject of a Petaluma show! Ok, pal, what do you know that we don't? Are they coming to Petaluma? If so, when? --nicole the wonder nerd only 6 days until I see Them live for the very first time *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:13:28 -0600 >probably not one person here who hates strings. I lam right now listening to >betthoven's 9th (i think).... >-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- > > "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants > (Spiralling Shape) > Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com > > I am sorry i wrote this... i should stay off my computerwhen i am half asleep and sick. I would flame myself, but dosen't that destroy th pupose of flaming.... i have no idea what i was thinking..... i think i took too many ibprofen (there were 50, now there's 40 left????) i apologize once more..... i should stay off my computer tonight, well, i wont post..... I am working on a web page and everything i type get read back yo me in my head in a generic gangsta voice... i gotts put on some music... i am scaring myself..... help me...... WHY THE HELL DID I WRITE LIKE THAT (the tabbed in thing) WHAT AM I DOING!!?!!?!?!?! -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:36:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: first post hi folk family: 1. this is my first post; Ive known about the list for months but frustratingly hadnt been able to participate due to a recently corrected modem-problem. Im so grateful for this communion. 2. Trying to quickly acclimate, Ive run through a bunch of the recent digests -- and noticed the deluge on Roseland (I too was present, and very sad --as well --that they didnt play spiraling shape) but noticed a lack of coverage on their appearance at Tower records, which I loved b/c of it's informality and spontaneity. who else was there? I met brian doherty as he was wandering around the store before the show and got to say to him: hey, nice gold suits last night. luckily, he laughed. 3. Id never heard magnetic fields before and did like them, but would have preferred to have listened to them on disk at home to avoid the sound problems (they were having all evening), to hear the cello (yes, I agree), to not have to deal with whatever attitude the lead singer felt he needed to project to promote mood, & b/c they were too mellow for pre-giants, esp. following cub. 4. has anyone ever noticed striking similarity in the faces of linnell and ray bolger in the wizard of oz, or is it me? it only occurs at particular moments, but think about it. -- jen "but the best thing about new york city is [tmbg]." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:44:36 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: Australian Release of FS Hey everybody in Australia, Has anyone seen an Aust release version of FS yet? I have an import but I would like a local release copy for my girlfriend. There was a mention of it in The Drum Media this week in their new release section but no review. Are Ben Folds Five confirmed for Big Day Out? I am not sure if I want to go yet. Generally most BDO artists also do a longer show at the Metro which is less crowded, such as Billy Bragg, Elastica etc from last year. So I might just wait for the Metro show. I generally like to go to the BDO for the Boiler Room and the weird looking people. Reagrds, Peter. P.S. I might take my TMBG banner to Michael Jackson tonight! ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:51:28 -0500 Subject: TMBG: shirts and stuff. i am happy to announce a yesterday i got MY FIRST TMBG SHIRT REACTION (not counting from my friends) here it is, but before i tell you the conversation,so your not confused, my math teacher has a little character he uses for math problems called "farmer gray" (e.g. "farmer gray went to ny,and a man came and asked for 51 cents,he said 'i dont have 51 cents' so the man stabbed him,and killed him. later the police found 65 cents on his body,why couldnt he give the man 51 cents?" see? ok,so heres the first shirt reaction---- looking at my john and john in the hayfields shirt, pointing at flans-----"HEY! ITS FARMER GRAY!" then, pointing at linnell "and his wife, ms.gray! HAHAHAH!" "um,sure. if that were a woman"---me(talking about his reference to linnell as ms.gray "they....might....be...giants"-----kid, reading the shirt. "yeah" me, saying "yeah" WELL THATS IT!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:29:39 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote In a message dated 96-11-13 16:46:58 EST, you write: << I fail to see the stereotype in his message. He simply stated his belief that certain bands are crappy and that poeple on this list, in his oppinion, have better taste. Weather this means they listen to the music that he lists as crappy doesn't really matter, he says (or at least I THINK he says [this is not quoted]) that the people who are limited to listening to these groups do not have the taste TMBG'rs do. Of course this opinion comes entirely out of the fact that he, and I, like TMBG far better than these "crappy" bands. Steven J. Luke SJL >> The stereotype being that anyone that listens to those bands must obviously be of lower musical taste. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:48:45 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: TMBG: TMBG Next LP/2nd L.A. show added > I'm sure > that they do have seven or so extra songs already recorded, so why didn't > they just put them on FS? It seems like it would make more sense to have one > great album packed with a lot of high quality stuff than two shorter albums > released within less than 12 monthes of each other. They might be releasing 2 shorter albums with only one year between them instead of one longer one because They might want to finish Their Elektra 8 album deal sooner. Also, TMBG have added a 2nd Los Angeles gig: Sat., Nov. 23 at the Palace in Hollywood. If anyone else is going to the show, e-mail me. ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:12:12 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Linnell's vision ok, i play bari sax and keyboards.you DO NOT NEED TO SEE TO PLAY THESE INSTRUMENTS. EX: RAy Charles, Art Tatum, Bross Townshend, Herman Foster, and of course, Stevie Wonder. Now as for sax, you NEVER EVER need to see to play this instrument. you can't look at it because it is physically impossible to play it and look at it without a mirror, besides, you don't BTW, Ray Charles also plays sax. I hope this clears everything up for everyone. Linnell has been playing for quite some time and knows the feel of these instruments. i don't mean to sound angry, but all of these people that don't play these instruments are saying things about it that they don't know. -j ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:21:01 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: i was at tower records Jen, i was at tower records, actually i got a very good tape of the show. i was right in the front, as in, Linnell actually touched me as he conducted the imrpov section of spy. awesome show, i though it was great, and until now i was the only one who had posted about it. where were you? i was the very first person in line, were you near the front of the line? it was the best time i had seen them because i was sooooo close to the band. i was literally three feet from them. it was great. -j ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:30:06 -0500 (EST) I just watched Larry Sanders tonight, gotta love that show. Well, it seems Scott Thompson has joined the show as someone working for the tv station or for Larry. Also, Jon Miller appeared as the backup to Larry, Elvis Costello performed live on the show, and David Duchovny appeared as Larry's seemingly straight-gay friend ;) But alas no sign of the Giants. I didn't see any mention of them in the spoiler for next week either. Ah well. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:34:39 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: this might flood my mailbox but Organization: West Virginia Network i am going to be getting or at least have available to me 2 factory showroom posters. the second is up in the air sam ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dial a Song From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:10:50 EST Hey;) I would like to first take an opportunity to thank all of the nice list people who have written to me in the last month since I have been on the list (you know who you are). I've been on other mailing lists (who shall remain nameless) where I was treated as an outcast. I wasn't part of the "clique" that had been on the mailing list for years and there were continuous flame wars. Anyway, does anyone know how They actually tape on Dial a Song? It seems like a lot of their stuff is done a capella. Do they just gather around an answering machine and just sing songs they've been working on recently? Just curious. Thanks;) Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Larry Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:40:59 -0500 (EST) I made a mistaken, I meant to say Jon Stewart, not John Miller. oops Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:18:34 -0800 Um, Wyatt, no reason to get obnoxious, in Europe Apollo 18 was pressed with Fingertips as one track. ---------- > From: Wyatt Glodell > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Apollo 18 > Date: Wednesday, November 13, 1996 10:32 AM > > >>Mark Krakauer wrote: > >>> Just > >>> guessing off hand, it seems like most of TMBG's albums have around > >>> twenty or so tracks (not including Apollo's 30+ tracks). Yet FS only > >>> has 13. I'm sure that they do have seven or so extra songs already > >>> recorded, so why didn't they just put them on FS? > > > >Um, what version of Apollo 18 do you have, Mine's only got, um, 18 > >tracks on it. Admittedly Space Suit's called on the back track 38 but > >my CD player just calls it track 18, am I missing something here? > >Sorry for asking stupid questions by the way. I just wondered. > ?????????????????? > Did you manage to shove a tape into your cd playr? do you have the actual > release? fingertips is 20 (19?) seperate tracks, and i belive it is > impossible for a cd player (working correctly) to do that. > -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- > > "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants > (Spiralling Shape) > Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com > ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:31:09 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: i was at tower records I work on thursdays, so I had to plead "a doctor's appointment" (therapy for my soul) to get to Tower even close to four and was about mid-line, but managed to weasel my way forward, positioned about six people back/deep on the right. (I generally opt right/Linnell's 's side.) and though I am beyond insanely jealous that he touched you, Ive found I dont always like to be right in front. Ive been close at two mercury lounge shows, but found that I feel conspicuous jumping around, etcetera, right in front of them (whether or not john l. can see me, just barely see me). if given the choice Id be about 4 people back -- but usually over to the side for breathing space. but it was a really excellent show b/c They talked, and gatting to watch them setup -- stand around upstairs, and b/c of the informality they brought to, particularly, the old(er) songs -- even more messing around than usual -- dont you think? (I was disappointed on the "experiment" during shoehorn -- I momentarily thought it had occurred to them to have the audience yell "ding," absent the glockenspiel, since Flans asked if we knew how it went. though I liked it for the impromptu vocal rearrangement.) it's sad to have just joined the list now, right after a bunch of nyc shows, and not get to meet list people/other fanatics -- but maybe in February. --jen. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:16:36 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in Petaluma...are you SURE??? bartush@calweb.com wrote: > > Hey Dave, > > For the second time (that I've noticed) you have posted to the TMBG list > about a TMBG show in Petaluma. What is your source for this information? > Every concert list I've read from every source lists the Warfield show as > the ONLY Northern California show. If there is a Petaluma show, when and > where is it, and where did you hear about it?? > I saw it on pollstar.com it says on the 19th They are playing at the Phoenix theatre in Petaluma. That's all I know. -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 01:27:50 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Petaluma! Hi TMBGer's! This has pretty much already been covered, but just to set the record straight, TMBG will definitely be playing in Petaluma, CA on November 19! Tickets are $20 and if you have any more questions, you can email Glenn Rubenstien at: glenn@gamespot.com He's actually working to promote the show, so I'm sure that he'll be able to answer any q's that you may have! (Just don't all email him at once, I'd feel bad!) Hope that helps clear things up! Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:30:23 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: shirts and stuff. Sorry, but I gotta respond to this Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: > "farmer gray went to ny,and > a man came and asked for 51 cents,he said 'i dont have 51 cents' so the man > stabbed him,and killed him. later the police found 65 cents on his body,why > couldnt he give the man 51 cents?" 'Cause he didn't have a penny (Two quarters, a dime, and a nickel) -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:29:10 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in Petaluma...are you SURE??? >I saw it on pollstar.com it says on the 19th They are playing at the >Phoenix theatre in Petaluma. That's all I know. > Yup, another list member mentioned this and I checked it out. You can even get tickets at BASS. I'll be going there, probably late since I have to drive 80 miles from work at the end of rush hour. But, TMBG live, two nights in a row (I'm going to the Warfield show too). The mind boggles. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:35:31 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: TMBG: Petaluma Cub is also playing -- "Love sees Love's Happiness but Happiness can't see that Love is sad. Sadness is hanging there To show Love somewhere something needs a change." -- TMBG "They'll Need A Crane" ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: How to record DAS From: thatoneguy2@juno.com (Kevin M Poe) Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 01:48:33 EST HEY!!! I was just looking through some of the free software (the stuff that won't sell) I got with my computer and I actually found something really cool. It's a program called "FaxTalk Messenger, Version 3.0, by Thought Communications, Inc.", I don't really know why I even checked it out because I don't do faxing. But, I did and it was really cool, it has this special feature in it to record from the phone line. It would work very well for anyone trying to find a way to record DAS. Just thought y'all might like to know. THATSALL, thatoneguy2@JUNO.COM (A.K.A. Kevin Poe) Interesting Fact: In Thailand, "Dang" means "Red" - I am made fun of daily for saying it around my friend, Ta. He's a foreign exchange student from Thailand (his real name is Teeratch Suphattanakul, but no one can pronounce it so we just call him Ta). ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:51:47 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: My own private Idaho Show Darwnchrls@aol.com wrote: > > Does anyone know who (if anyone) is opening for the band at the UI student > union ballroom show on thursday? I just found out about the show and am > wondering if they have the show all to themselves, or if there is an opening > band. Also does anyone know of the cool cover tunes that they have been > doing live lately? In Seattle last year they did the ever-so-popular > Frankensein and then the next day they did The Ramones "I want to be sedated" > and they were awesome show pieces. > Thanks in advance! > Dan The band Cub is opening for the excellent They Might Be Giants. See you there! I can't believe they came to Moscow! *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:54:12 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue Daniel Carpio wrote: > > >It's the *Pink* album, dammit! Pink! Pink! Pink! Notice that it is pink > >in color. Notice that only about 10% of the big blue dog is visible on the > >front cover. > > I hope i'm not upsetting too many of you by once again reviving this > thread, but my copy of the *pink* album, the cassette (how primative) > version by bar none/restless does not contain even a small percentage of > the infamous blue dog, in fact the only blue things i can find are the cut > ff street sign, the globe, the self-propelled vacuum, the dreidle with a > house on top, and the fish bowl. I guess that since i have the cassette > that they did a crop job on the album art and therefore forced me to refer > to the tape as the pink album, But wait , i've always called it They Might > Be Giants. > peace > in the hood, > > Dan > > ---------------------------------- > Uhhh ? Sig??? > > Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground. - TMBG I call it first album. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:00:00 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: life can be good Greg Beaver-Seitz wrote: > > Hey everyone, I just found out that I am going to get the > chance to interview John and John before their show in Minneapolis on the > 29th of November. I'm rather happy and if anyone has any questions that you > might think I should ask them for a high-school newspaper story please feel > free to post them. Please ask Linnel what Nothin's Gonna Change My Clothes is about. I had a deam the other night that I ran into him backstage and he told me about how he was rejecting conformity in his high school art class when he wrote the song. It's my very favorite song and I don't know what it's about although I've tried to make a few lame guesses. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-312 ******************************