Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-313 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 313 Friday, 15 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree TMBG: Re: stuff I wanted to say. Re: TMBG:THEM:The Early Years Scoop TMBG: Re: Sci-Fi Songs TMBG: Re: article Re: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree Re: TMBG: Shows BEFORE Idaho... Re: TMBG: First Album Re: TMBG: Best album TMBG: sexxy adam ant TMBG: Continued Eyesight Controversy... (none) TMBG: Thanks Herne and all! TMBG: Re:ICE Article Part two Re: TMBG: Flans: Genre Master (Re:) Re: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: Re:ICE Article Part two TMBG: If you were at SonicNet...and other stuff TMBG: They Stuff on vynal TMBG: Butt, Grunts, preserving question, Mail me! Re: TMBG: They Stuff on vynal TMBG: FS review Re: TMBG: Flans: Genre Master (Re:) TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? Re: TMBG: Best album Re: TMBG: First Album TMBG: SonicNet Prize! Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! TMBG: LIVE!!!! Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! TMBG: Shtuff Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! TMBG: They Might Be Giants in N. California Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue Re: TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants in N. California TMBG: i must go TMBG: help me out? Re: TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? TMBG: educational songs TMBG: Rating of Albums TMBG: Demo tape Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue TMBG: tmbg article Re: TMBG: tmbg article Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! Re: TMBG: tmbg article TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 TMBG: Those patch necklace things again... TMBG: school TMBG: Michael Jackson & TMBG Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:36:38 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree Christi587@aol.com wrote: > > xI'd say that the *MOST COMMON* reason that people dislike S-E-X-X-Y is that > xit doesn't sound like TMBG. Not because it's a "bad" or "annoying" or > x"S-U-C-K-Y" song, but because it's not a TMBG song. I have seen a number of > xposts saying this (here and on the NG), even a couple saying "S-E-X-X-Y > xisn't a bad song but I think it sucks because it doesn't sound like other > xTMBG." Could someone explain this to me? How does the nature of the band's > x*other* works affect the quality of this one? > > Amen. Go ahead and hate it if you must, but at least have a better reason > than "It's different, and different is bad." Who should know better what TMBG > "sounds like" than TMBG? They are evolving... if anyone has a problem with > that, go take Lincoln and the Pink/Blue dog/whatever album, lock yourself in > your room, and listen to them for eternity, oblivious to anything else They > ever produce. Alternatively, you could keep an open mind and realize that > S-E-X-X-Y doesn't fall outside of TMBG's style, it is only broadening it. > > xJust curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... > xI call it The Big Blue Dog > xSome call it The Pink Album > > We could just compromise and call it the Big Purple Dog album... > Sorry. I dislike S-E-X-X-Y because it doesn't have mush tune, and it's kinda boring. It also is stuck in my head and won't go away, (because it's X tra ba-by)Aaaarrgh! I love the fact that TMBG is broadening their horizons. Factory Showroom is my favorite TMBG album so far! I just don't like sexxy, xtc, or James Polk (II) that much I call the debut "first album." *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:50:18 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: stuff I wanted to say. GuavaBoy9@aol.com wrote: > I think that some very cool songs are: > I'll sink Manhattan, Absolutely Bill's Mood, and Narrow your Eyes. These are all superb songs, especially Absolutely Bill's Mood There are > much more that I like, but those are the songs I am craving as I write this. > > Where I live, no one knows who TMBG is, or if they have, they only have > Flood, and maybe A18. That sucks. Yes it does > > Things that disapoint me about Factory Showroom: > Added those 3 other guys to credits. > NO LYRIC SHEET! > only 13 songs (compared to the average of somewhere around 17 - 38!) Ahaha..! You are overlooking the fact that Factory Showroom is Tmbg's second longest album behing John Henry at 43:43 minutes including track 0. > No short, really cool songs (like Cage & Aquarium) > otherwise, the album is pretty awesome. It is pretty awesome. Incedentally, I couldn' help noticing your name Guavaboy. You are not by any chance a Ween fan are you? A friend of mine is a die hard Ween fan, and he calls himself Guava on the met in tribute to his favorite album, Pure Guava. Long live TheyMBG and Ween! *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:59:11 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG:THEM:The Early Years Scoop Herne wrote: > Many of the songs were all recorded prior to 1986. They said that the > songs from the original albums will be in chronological order but not > the unreleased stuff. therefore Misc. T. will be split in half. What do you mean by that? Why will Misc-T be split in half? Will they be listing TMBG first, then Don't Let's Start, then Lincoln or Hotel Detective, which ever came first, or will they list each song in the order that it was written? Please explain. I am dying of curiosity about this CD project. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:08:39 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Sci-Fi Songs Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > OK, here's my attempt at a complete list. > > Space/Science Songs by TMBG: > > 1) The World's Address > 2) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > 3) For Science > 4) Apollo 8 (album) > 5) Mammal > 6) The Guitar > 7) Dinner Bell > 8) See the Constellation > 9) Space Suit > 10) Moving to the Sun > 11) Why Does the Sun Shine? > 12) Destination Moon > 13) S-E-X-X-Y (depending on your interp) > 14) Become a Robot The nightgown of the sullen moon is neither about space or science. It is about a person who just died, and the solitude of their afterlife is like being trapped on the moon. If you would like to hear my complete interpretation, please let me know. Don't forget Youth Culture killed my dog if you are talking about social science experiments on dogs. (forget I said that) *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:26:33 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: article PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu wrote: > > does anyonew want me to post the article i found in smug magazine? > it reviews factory showroom and it has a lot of quotes from the johns. > just let me know. > -j yes *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:26:38 -1000 From: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree >Christi587@aol.com wrote: >> >> xI'd say that the *MOST COMMON* reason that people dislike S-E-X-X-Y is that >> xit doesn't sound like TMBG. Not because it's a "bad" or "annoying" or >> x"S-U-C-K-Y" song, but because it's not a TMBG song. I have seen a number of >> xposts saying this (here and on the NG), even a couple saying "S-E-X-X-Y >> xisn't a bad song but I think it sucks because it doesn't sound like other >> xTMBG." Could someone explain this to me? How does the nature of the band's >> x*other* works affect the quality of this one? It doesn't. p -> q ~q -> ~p. music that people like -> TMBG not TMBG -> music peple don't like. If all people like is TMBG, then it would follow that they wouldn't like anything else. -- kirill why am i using logic for this? - - - - - - - Storage temperature: -30 C (-22 F) to 40 C (104 F). http://www.lava.net/~kirill http://www.lava.net/~kirill/marathon ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:20:17 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Shows BEFORE Idaho... Matt Crouse wrote: > > Matthew -- > I am going to the Moscow show as well, > On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Matthew K Puvogel wrote: > > I am going to the Moscow Idaho show on the 14th of November (this next > > Thursday) Tomorrow! (oops, tomorrow became today ten minutes ago) I am proud to be at TheyMBG's first Idaho appearance ever. They picked the coolest little town in Idaho to come to as well. It boggles my mind that in a town so small I found so many people on this thing who live here too. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:15:08 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album Phil Bickel wrote: > >> Just curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... > >> I call it The Big Blue Dog > >> Some call it The Pink Album > >> Others call it Self Titled Album > >> Still others call it They Might Be Giants (including the head of the FAQ) > >> So what about YOU!???!?!?! > > > >No, no no....don't lets start this one again...... > > > >-Dawg > > > >P.S. It's the Giant Walking Beer Album. > > > > PINK!!!! It's the PINK album! PINK! PINK! PINK!!!!!!!!!!! > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Look at the suject of this post. Or I'll read it for you. Re: tmbg FIRST ALBUM. Should I repeat myelf? FIRST ALBUM. It's short easy to say, makes sense, and should be universally accepted. Excuse me, I have to take my big-orange-arrow, and girl-with-a-nasty-looking-tool-kneeling-in-the-grass albums out of my CD player and replace them with FIRST ALBUM. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:36:07 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album Dave Gooch wrote: > > Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > > As a new > > >subscriber to this list, I was curious how people think FS > > >measures up to old albums, and what album everyone likes best. > > I havent actually had the chance to buy FS (sorry 8( ), but out of the > rest I'd have to say Apollo 18 is the best, although Lincoln is a close > second. > -- > "And I am a snake head eating my head on the opposite side" -- They > Might Be Giants Yesterday I pondered the question of which albums I like where and how mush because my old list didn't seem to cooincide with my changing attitudes towrds their songs. Well I came up with my list, and now I am lucky enough to have all that effort been some use to me. Here they are in order, along with my star rating (out of five stars). Factory showroom 5 Apollo 18 5 Lincoln 5 John Henry 5 Misc T 4 1/2 First Album 4 1/2 Flood 4 These conclusions were withdrawn from the depths of my soul after painstaking analyzation. I was amazed to discover that Apollo 18 had moved up on my list from last to second place, and First Album's appeal had plummeted drastically. No other surprises. (Long live Factory Showroom) I can safely say now, after a month of listening, that it is indeed my favorite TheyMBG album. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:57:35 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: sexxy adam ant I'm really pissed off with the fact that you guys say that anyone who doesn't like S-E-X-X-Y or XTC v AA on;y wants the old style TMBG and doesn't like new things. I dislike both songs and it has nothing to do with them being different then what TMBG has put out before. There are a lot of old songs that I dislike as well. In fact, Factory Showroom is my favorite TheyMBG album so far. I dislike the two songs because they are BORING, and have annoying tunes. I could care less if the style was funk, or christian gospel. I'm not impressed with the strings in XTC v AA because they're not interesting. I love strings. I love guitar. I love that mamba thing going on in Your Own Worst Enemy. I don't love songs with crappy tunes. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 01:21:32 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: TMBG: Continued Eyesight Controversy... Hello folks... Sorry to drag this argument back out of the muck, but as I was going through some of my more obscure tmbg stuff (getting ready for tomorrow's Moscow Idaho show) I was listening to and looking at my German 12" Maxi-single of Don't Let's Start. A-side: Don't Let's Start B-side: We're the Replacements When It Rains It Snows The Famous Polka Personal Value: Priceless... Anyways back to my point, if you look on the back side, you see a picture of the Johns in traditional position (Flans-left/Linnel-right). Flans has fallen over (due to an exaughsting performance no doubt, and Linnel is kneeling down bent over his accordian, STARING at the keys... the small round ones for the left hand. Are they just doing the "Brooklyn Polka" version of the Famous Polka, or is Linnel really blind? :P I will endaevor to inquire personally tomorrow... Until later my fellow minimum wage-earning, waiting for a date in constantinople'in, 6 of miller high life drinkin', Freak flag raising, S-E-X-X-Y, crane-needing, Mammals, who ride dirt bikes... Matthew K Puvogel RaVeNmAsTeR productions ltd. 1996 "I was walking down Haight Street, in Sanfrancisco, when counter-cultered youth cornered me... She had a freshly died purple mohawk, $120 Doc Martin Boots, so in other words she was wearing about as much equity as I had made so far this year, and with a wanting look, on her pale face, she asked me for some change...... I said change comes from within..." (Wally Pleasant-- Houses of the Holy Moly) ------------------------------ From: cordelia@stayfree.co.uk Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:39:48 GMT >On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 cordelia@stayfree.co.uk wrote: >> We were also thinking of recording a cover version of a whole TMBG album. >> Which one do you think we should do? Here is a multiple choice: >> >>b) Don't even think about it you stupid git. > I believe it was Linnell (sp?) who keeps on saying, if you are in >a band it is important to do your own thing. A couple of covers are >okay, but if you do too many, and of the same band especially, you get >seen as a copy/wanna be. I think it best for you to try and develop your >own music :) Just try to be original then? hmmm. Nah.... That's been done soooooo many times. Any more of you interested in hearing our version of "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" then? Details from cordelia@stayfree.co.uk ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:43:14 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Thanks Herne and all! Thanks Herne for posting the article on the TMBG "box-set". Also (I believe I can speak for most people in this group) Thanks to everyone who posts articles and reviews on the list. TMBG news (without this list) is very hard to come by and any posts of these types are very much appreciated. Thanks again. Erik "You gave me a pet name. Which is not to say I like it." - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:37:09 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Re:ICE Article Part two Hey Listfolk, My mail server is being a bit testy today. Could someone, since I get the list as a digest and can't tell, please e-mail me and let me know whether or not the second part of ICE transcription got posted this morning? It took eons to type so I hope it made it!!!! Someone send me sign!!! Thanks, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:14:31 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans: Genre Master (Re:) On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >YES!!! Flans is the genre master. I'm just dreading the day They > >decide to do thrash metal!!! > > wasn't it in the FAQ or something saying that he wanted to do all different > kinds of music or something like that? It was also in one of the recently posted articles where Linnell (sp? common someone please tell me :) I think said that certain types of music are only bad because the songs/bands that perform that type of music write it bad. He said if a good band wrote it in a good way, the type of music would be seen for the good it is. Soooo, it They write a Thrash Metal song, I'd be optomistic as to how it turned out... Steven J. Luke SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "And I don't love you anymore, and there is a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go-I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare." It just kinda slipped out, I didn't mean to let you know what I really thought, No no, honey wait that's not what I meant, come back here....OW! *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:20:59 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y, Linnell's vision, and a partridge in a pear tree On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Kirill wrote: > music that people like -> TMBG > not TMBG -> music peple don't like. Fruit People Like == Orange Apple (Not Orange) == Fruit People Don't Like ????????? Same logic, so I can't like apples AND oranges??? > > If all people like is TMBG, then it would follow that they wouldn't like > anything else. Wa it ever said that anybody here likes ONLY They? Am I reading your logic incorrectly? Steven J. Luke SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Chinese peole were fighting in the park, we tried to help 'em fight, no one appreciated that." Hmmm. I wonder why? We were just trying to help! *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:30:06 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 Raldus@aol.com wrote: > > The stereotype being that anyone that listens to those bands must obviously > be of lower musical taste. > The basic thing I was saying was that by definition: A person thinks TMBG is good and that other bands are bad The same person believes that TMBG is in good taste (pretty much because he likes them) and that the other bands are in bad tast (because he doesn't like them). So he belives that he is in Good Taste because he likes a band he believes are in good taste (do you see the flow?) He then also believes the people who like the other bands are in Bad Taste because they like a band which he considers a Bad Band. Bad Taste = Lower Taste than Good Taste It is a matter of Opinion. Not stereotype, because according to these flowing definitions, it has to be so. It is like saying that calling anyone with certain pigmented hair a Blonde haired person would be stereotyping, when in fact, by definition it is true. Steven J. Luke SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Chinese peole were fighting in the park, we tried to help 'em fight, no one appreciated that." Hmmm. I wonder why? We were just trying to help! *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:40:05 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:ICE Article Part two Herne wrote: > > Hey Listfolk, > > My mail server is being a bit testy today. Could someone, since I get > the list as a digest and can't tell, please e-mail me and let me know > whether or not the second part of ICE transcription got posted this > morning? It took eons to type so I hope it made it!!!! > > Someone send me sign!!! > > Thanks, > > Herne Why not? nobody is forced to read it if they don't want to and I'm sure (relatively sure) it doesn't take THAT long for anybody's computer to download the message. Go for it. -- "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." -- TMBG "Stand on Your Own Head" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:46:16 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: TMBG: If you were at SonicNet...and other stuff I was at the SonicNet chat, and I sent the email for the contest, right, and I never got anything back saying if I won or not...but today in the mail I got an autographed copy of Factory Showroom! :) On the front cover of the booklet it says "You've Won!" Then theres a J and then what looks like a drawing of a CD with a hat on and what i think says flans...then on the inside, right on the CD with silver marker it says "John Sid" :) So if you didn't get anything back saying you won, there's still hope :)=20 > >It's the *Pink* album, dammit! Pink! Pink! Pink! Notice that it is= pink > >in color. Notice that only about 10% of the big blue dog is visible on= the > >front cover. I call it "Their First Album" :) My bedroom wall *is* their first album :) (acrylic, hehe, a Giant They cartoon) --AmY "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind", AmY =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7* Amy@tmbg.org Seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 >>>>>seta on IRC<<<<<< =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=20 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:59:50 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: TMBG: They Stuff on vynal I was at this Cd/tape/record fair type thing where there were a room full of tables of people selling stuff...and I was looking for anything TMBG, and this one guy had like a HUGE table lined with crates of records, and I asked him if he had any TMBG, and he was like "Yea!" and he came back with 3 records: Birdhouse in Your Soul Promo (Birdhouse on both sides), Twistin Promo= (Twistin=20 on both sides) and Istanbul (not Constantinople) Promo (Istanbul on one= side,=20 Istanbul Remix on the other). Then he was like.."I think I have some singles too." And he pulls out (She was a) Hotel Detective single and Don't Let's Start...i bought them all :) The guy was telling me about this guy in Syracuse that came to his store (i think he said his store), like every week and all he wanted was TMBG... Anyways, I also found a Lincoln record, and the guy there was like, "Lincoln is my=20 second favorite TMBG album." and he said his first favorite was Their First Album. :) which he had for sale on vynal, but someone bought it :P He said the guy at the next table had the FS promo...but they sold it...Anyway, The (SWA)HD record has=20 writing on it--it says on one side "Motel Directive...Wigue Wigue Wishnick" and the other side says "It is Dangerous to be Sincere Unless you are Also Stupid" I'm done now :) --Amy "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind", AmY =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7* Amy@tmbg.org Seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 >>>>>seta on IRC<<<<<< =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=20 ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:24:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Butt, Grunts, preserving question, Mail me! Hello 41- I'm sure from the subject title, you were drawn into this one... Butt- Just to combine, I think all the people who don't like the Pink Album title, should call it the Big Blue Butt album... Grunts- The DLS version with grunts is great! A true dance favorite. About taping, cameraing shows- Would it be prefrable to record with hi or lo tone? Should I bring along an external mic? How about taking pictures... Some turned out with a flash, but some were warped. Would panoramic be worth trying for some of the shots? CJ and Doolittle please email me please, tonto Adam lost your addresses. *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* The enemy is the human mind itself, or lack of it, on this planet. -General Boy Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:32:10 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: Re: TMBG: They Stuff on vynal Oops i spelled Vinyl wrong...sorry :) --Amy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:05:30 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: FS review Hidey-ho, everyone, My school newspaper (The California Aggie) had a review of FS in today's "Praxis" (it's the arts and music section), and it's pretty positive. Here it is: They Might Be Giants' two Johns, Linnel (sic) and Flansburgh, have made a career out of being nerds. In fact, they revel in their political, social and scientific knowledge, and somehow incorporate it into some of the catchiest pop tunes around. After moving into much more rock-oriented territory with _John Henry_, the band's sixth and latest release, _Factory Showroom_, returns to TMBG's earlier sounds, through the revival of their trademark synthesized bass lines and light, airy rhythyms. "S-E-X-X-Y," the first track on the album, is new territory for the band, as is "Pet Name"-- both forays into the funk world. "Spiraling Shape," a lounge jazz number and the melancholic "Your Own Worst Enemy" soften up the tone, in contrast to "New York City" and "Till My Head Falls Off," all four songs classic TMBG. "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "How Can I Sing Like a Girl," two forgettable songs, are saved by creative guitar work on the part of new addition Eric Schermerhorn. For TMBG fans, the album should be a deft and welcome return to the band's roots, but the lack of forward progression or experimentation only left me aroused. --Drew Cherry The last statement refers to Praxis's classification standards for albums: they're rated (from worst to best) Painful, Embarrassing, Banal, Aroused, or Orgasmic. My guess is that the reviewer was hesitating between an "aroused" rating and an "orgasmic" rating (which is, incidentally, very rare). I find it interesting that the reviewer decried the lack of "experimentation" and yet did not mention "Exquisite Dead Guy" or "I Can Hear You". And he apparently didn't take a close look at the liner notes, or he would have noticed that NYC is a cover. I would have replaced "New York City" with "The Bells Are Ringing" in the "classic TMBG" line. Oh well. --nicole the wonder nerd who has too much going on on Tuesday nights to be able to make the Petaluma show :< :< :< but is a bit consoled by the thought of the Warfield show on Wednesday. p.s. buttknobs suck. *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:54:14 +0100 From: timli@controls.eurotherm.co.uk (Tim Linnell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans: Genre Master (Re:) >On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > It was also in one of the recently posted articles where Linnell >(sp? common someone please tell me :) Your spelling is correct. El eye double en hee double el, the chant of the Linnells for many centuries. With best wishes, etc Tim PS: Play it backwards for a Satanic message in Welsh --- http://www.geocities.com/Paris/7697/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:48:12 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? Ben or Been here. Okay. I kinda left the discussion after dropping the CHROMOSOME COMMENT as related to "SEXXY." Now I have another comment--about lyrics--that I would like to share. (If this has already been made, I apologize :-) .) The lyrics, I believe as listed on the website: X, because it's extra, baby Y, because it's extra, baby *Okay, so trying to solve the dilemma that indeed there is no *extra Y* in the spelling of "SEXXY," I try here to provide "new meaning"/"new spelling" of the pronounced lyrics. Try this: X, because it's extra, baby Why?, because it's extra, baby *...Which would, of course, make [wa:I] (IPA) a pun on the words "why" and "y", and we all know that part of TMBG's character is puns. "Why?" also nicely leads into the "because." I can't wait until I get the official lyrics (?) from the Info Club. (Well, I guess I can wait.) :-) Contributing after a very long hiatus, Lexically, Ben or Been *a member of the TMBG Digest Hall-of-Fame* ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:59:07 -0500 (EST) > > Ben or Been here. > > Okay. I kinda left the discussion after dropping the CHROMOSOME COMMENT > as related to "SEXXY." Now I have another comment--about lyrics--that I > would like to share. (If this has already been made, I apologize :-) .) > > The lyrics, I believe as listed on the website: > > X, because it's extra, baby > Y, because it's extra, baby > Here's a guess. The last X and the Y are extra so it's all really about SEX. Since they have proclaimed that this is a song about "Getting it on", this would mean they are talking about sex. It's just a witty way of going about it. Any thoughts? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:28:40 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Yossarian wrote: > Here they are > in order, along with my star rating (out of five stars). > > Factory showroom 5 3 Again, I still think it's too short. Funny, the best track on the entire album is hidden. :) > Apollo 18 5 4 1/2 (without a doubt, the best Elektra album) > Lincoln 5 3.5 Okay, before you start the crys of blasphmy, I don't listen to it that much. My favorite TMBG song, Snowball in Hell, is here. I'm one of the few who actually likes You'll Miss Me, too. > John Henry 5 4 Okay, a lot of skipped tracks during listening. > Misc T 4 1/2 5 The best album by far, true TMBG, so to speak. I can only hope that the box set will be as good. > First Album 4 1/2 5 The one I listen to most > Flood 4 2 1/2 Tiny Toons makes me barf. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:30:04 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Yossarian wrote: > Look at the suject of this post. Or I'll read it for you. Re: tmbg > FIRST ALBUM. No, it says it right on the label, the album title is "Made in Canada". S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:35:46 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! WooHoo! I just got my SonicNet prize in the mail, it is a copy of Factory Showroom. Flans signed the front of the booklet, & Linnel signed the cd itself...pretty cool:) Now, of course I have 2 copies of the cd, but I'm sure I can find a use for my old one. I'll go convert some poor soul & give it to them. Or sell it to them so I'll be able to afford the sexxy single and The Early Years when they come out:) >They might be releasing 2 shorter albums with only one year between them >instead of one longer one because They might want to finish Their Elektra 8 >album deal sooner. I was under the impression that Their deal with Elektra was for 7 albums, where'd you hear 8? Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" They're the best thing since Canned Roses! 'Course the best thing before Canned Roses was Real Turnips, but don't blame me! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:40:00 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: I see things through the glass that I don't recognize at all On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >Interesting.....*but* that would mean that they are putting out some of > >their half-baked stuff. I think they should wait and continue their > >cycle. Leave the okay stuff for Dial-a-song. > > Well, usually, I wouldn't advocate this, but the reason I do is the same > reason many people have complained about Factory Showroom: FS only has 13 > songs. There are still 7 good to great quality songs sitting around from the > FS sessions (there would be 8 if they hadn't put SenSurround on the > S-E-X-X-Y single), so they really only need to write ten to twelve more to > have a "TMBG-sized" album and only six more to have an FS-sized album. I > think they can probably do it in a year. But it's a lack of output. I think the Hello stuff is really draining their resources. Look at the year after John Henry was released. They did a total of three songs, SenSurround, Spiralling Shape, and 25 O'Clock. They only wrote two of them. From what I understand, they were writing stuff just in time for the mini-tour. The year after JH, was also, the year that Dial-a-Song featured very few TMBG songs, we got South Carolina, and What Bothers the Spaceman? If memory serves, the only TMBG song to come out on Dial-a-Song during that period was Bells. > >All of the Mono Puff stuff is ready for recording....it just needs to be > >done. They were going to record in September, but Flansburgh and Hal were > >touring. > > How long did Unsupervised take to record? I would think that something like > a Mono Puff album would take significantly less time than a TMBG album to > record. Anyway, I'd like to see TMBG take maybe a month hiatus sometime in > the tour if it meant we could get another Mono Puff album and maybe > something from Linnell. Unsupervised took awhile, mainly because of the many players, and their tour schedules. We should see lots more from Mono Puff; I heard that Mono now has an eight album contract with Ryko. Some of those albums may be collections of Hello discs, tho. (f.e. House of Mayors and State Songs + a few other assorted tracks) I still think that they will stick to the "album every two years" cycle. They may record most of it, but it probably won't be released, unless they want to churn out as many albums as possible so that they can leave Elektra. I can see it now, all 8 TMBG albums: Flood Apollo 18 John Henry Factory Showroom Superfueled Freakcycle Nursing Home Gameroom Dial-a-Song Oddities They Might be Mono Puff S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! Date: Thu, 14 Nov 96 16:45:44 18000 > > WooHoo! I just got my SonicNet prize in the mail, it is a copy of Factory > Showroom. Flans signed the front of the booklet, & Linnel signed the cd > itself...pretty cool:) Now, of course I have 2 copies of the cd, but I'm > sure I can find a use for my old one. I'll go convert some poor soul & give > it to them. Or sell it to them so I'll be able to afford the sexxy single > and The Early Years when they come out:) Are you MAD?!?! Keep the autographed CD up on a shelf somewhere just to show off, and use the one you have to acutally PLAY! That CD'll be worth something you know!!! -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mmk2a@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:38:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: LIVE!!!! Hi everyone, what's up? I'm still trying to get a hold on the live in NY cd. I called Southland CD as someone suggested but as my luck would have it, they're all out. If anyone has any information about other places where this CD is available, it would be greatly appreciated. The first person to email me with a correct answer will win a prize. Well, let's not go that far. THanks in advance for your help. Mark *--------------------------------------------------------- "when this grey world crumbles like a cake I'll be hanging from the hope that I'll never see that recipe again." -tmbg *--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:52:04 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Nathan Todd wrote: > WooHoo! I just got my SonicNet prize in the mail, it is a copy of Factory > Showroom. Flans signed the front of the booklet, & Linnel signed the cd > itself...pretty cool:) Now, of course I have 2 copies of the cd, but I'm > sure I can find a use for my old one. I'll go convert some poor soul & give > it to them. Or sell it to them so I'll be able to afford the sexxy single > and The Early Years when they come out:) You ought to keep the signed copy in pristine condition, IMHO. Don't even play it. Just leave it in the case, and drool over it. Play your old one. > >They might be releasing 2 shorter albums with only one year between them > >instead of one longer one because They might want to finish Their Elektra 8 > >album deal sooner. > > I was under the impression that Their deal with Elektra was for 7 albums, > where'd you hear 8? I think I heard that they'd renegotiated the contract after the success of Flood, for more money, and an extra album....Elektra got the short end of the stick, IMHO. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: 14 Nov 96 17:02:45 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Shtuff A few thingees. First of all.. LARRY SANTIAGO! I STILL NEED YOUR MAILING ADDRESS! IF I DON"T GET IT YOU'LL NEVER GET YOU TAPES! Yossarian, buddy, pal. A few days ago, everyone got about 8 copies of ADMINISTRIVIA. Sure this multiple message was annoying, but Saying it's called the debut album after quoting 3 pareagraphs of text 5 times bringing your total of messages to 13 in one day is a bad thing. Did you even read the ASdministrivia??? Sorry folks ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:14:36 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! At 04:52 PM 11/14/96 -0500, you wrote: >On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Nathan Todd wrote: > >> WooHoo! I just got my SonicNet prize in the mail, it is a copy of Factory >> Showroom. Flans signed the front of the booklet, & Linnel signed the cd >> itself...pretty cool:) Now, of course I have 2 copies of the cd, but I'm > >You ought to keep the signed copy in pristine condition, IMHO. Don't even >play it. Just leave it in the case, and drool over it. > >Play your old one. NOOOOOOOO!!! DO NOT PLAY THE SIGNED CD!!!! The weight of the ink on the CD itself will make the disc unbalanced. If you attempt to play it in a normal CD player it will be unbalanced and the laser that reads the CD will be deflected and hit the "pits" on the underside of the disc in an unnormal fashion. This will cause long, high-pitceh sounds to come from your speakers. This could damage your hearing. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:27:49 -0800 From: Glenn Rubenstein Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants in N. California Attn: TMBG N. California list members In addition to the San Francisco date, They Might Be Giants are playing the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma on Tuesday November 19th (8pm). Tickets are $20 on sale now thru BASS. And for those who don't know, Petaluma is just 35 minutes North of San Francisco. Why am I posting this? Well, for one I'm a huge TMBG fan, and two -- I'm putting on the show. The Phoenix is a 850 capacity old opera house in downtown Petaluma and I do all the booking. TMBG are one of my favorite bands and its an honor to do the show with them. Second, we got this show a bit late so I'm trying to get the word out to everyone who I feel would be interested. And three, we need people to show up so I'm begging all of you to come check it out (and if there's enough interest as a reward I will divulge details of their concert rider -- no naked women requested or brown m&m's, but I can tell you what kind of juice they request). So, if you all in the area would consider going, that'd rock. Glenn Rubenstein Phoenix Theater ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 96 17:37 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers >> Look at it again. I'm pretty sure Linnell's voice goes away when he >> does, because that's how I figured out who was singing what. Listen to >> the low part and watch Linnell. I think it's during the 'wig on her >> head' part where it becomes apparent. Could be wrong. > >I keep trying, and yet I still seem to hear his voice even when he's >not singing "wig on her..." > >I just find this very disturbing. As though the classical laws of >physics didn't hold up, or something. Ah-ha! More evidence for the theory that Linnell is an alien! Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: bnjljy@ix.netcom.com Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:54:45 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue On 11/13/96 22:54:12 you wrote: > >Daniel Carpio wrote: >> >> >It's the *Pink* album, dammit! Pink! Pink! Pink! Notice that it is pink >> >in color. Notice that only about 10% of the big blue dog is visible on the >> >front cover. >> >> I hope i'm not upsetting too many of you by once again reviving this >> thread, but my copy of the *pink* album, the cassette (how primative) >> version by bar none/restless does not contain even a small percentage of >> the infamous blue dog, in fact the only blue things i can find are the cut >> ff street sign, the globe, the self-propelled vacuum, the dreidle with a >> house on top, and the fish bowl. I guess that since i have the cassette >> that they did a crop job on the album art and therefore forced me to refer >> to the tape as the pink album, But wait , i've always called it They Might >> Be Giants. >> peace >> in the hood, >> >> Dan >> >> ---------------------------------- >> Uhhh ? Sig??? >> >> Turn around, turn around, it's a human skull on the ground. - TMBG > >I call it first album. > >*a note from Yossarian* > > I call it the self titled album. Why can't people just call it the first album or the self titled album and stop bickering about the pink vs big blue dog album? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:54:39 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > X, because it's extra, baby > Why?, because it's extra, baby > > *...Which would, of course, make [wa:I] (IPA) a pun on the words "why" and > "y", and we all know that part of TMBG's character is puns. "Why?" also > nicely leads into the "because." > Say, that's good! I like it.--did anybody notice the reference to "Micky Mouse Club"? ("M I C--see you next time--K E Y--why? because we miss you!--M O U S E") I think it's very characteristic for TMBG to allude to an old song. (Cage and Aquarium, Lucky Ball and Chain--"there goes the bride as she walked out the door" has same melody as "here comes the bride as he walked through the door" from the song "Today I met the boy I'm going to marry" etc, etc.) -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:04:15 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants in N. California Glenn Rubenstein wrote: > > Attn: TMBG N. California list members > > In addition to the San Francisco date, They Might Be Giants are playing the > Phoenix Theater in Petaluma on Tuesday November 19th (8pm). Tickets are $20 > on sale now thru BASS. And for those who don't know, Petaluma is just 35 > minutes North of San Francisco. > > Why am I posting this? > > Well, for one I'm a huge TMBG fan, and two -- I'm putting on the show. The > Phoenix is a 850 capacity old opera house in downtown Petaluma and I do all > the booking. TMBG are one of my favorite bands and its an honor to do the > show with them. Second, we got this show a bit late so I'm trying to get the > word out to everyone who I feel would be interested. And three, we need > people to show up so I'm begging all of you to come check it out (and if > there's enough interest as a reward I will divulge details of their concert > rider -- no naked women requested or brown m&m's, but I can tell you what > kind of juice they request). > > So, if you all in the area would consider going, that'd rock. > > Glenn Rubenstein > Phoenix Theater The show isn't sold out yet? If I can get someone to come along with me, then I'll be there. -- "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." -- TMBG "Stand on Your Own Head" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:11:09 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: TMBG: i must go well, i'm sorry to say that i have to unsubscribe for a while. i'm overloaded with work. i hope to catch up soon and come back but who knows. i'm still going to cleveland though so i hope to see some of you there. later. Ian (aka mci) ***************************************************************************** * * * WARNING! : The combination of alchohol and e-mail can have disastrous * * results. This is not recommended under any circumstances. If you feel * * you must do it. Right down your message on a piece of paper and read * * it the next morning first. Do not, I repeat, Do NOT! send it. It can * * result in embarassment, confusion, or worse. * * * * this has been a public service announcement brought to you by * * -mci@tmbg.org- * ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:14:02 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: help me out? Hi everyone, Next Wednesday's TMBG concert will be my first concert ever. (Pathetic, I know. Nearly 19 and never been to a rock concert.) And I have a burning question for those of you more experienced in the ways of concerts than I: How long before the start of a concert should one plan on coming? The Warfield's doors open at 7, but I get the impression that if I come later than sixish, I'll get crappy seats. (The Warfield has open seating.) I could conceivably be in SF as early as 5; is this recommended? Will I look like a fool standing alone on the pavement, or will there already be a long line of people? What time do those of you going to the Warfield show (6 listies, including me, as of today) plan to get there? Any help is much appreciated. --nicole the wonder nerd Only 5 days before I go see Them live! Whoo-hoo! Sucks that I can't make the Petaluma show! Boo-hoo! p.s. on a related tangent, where does one go after a show if one wishes to catch a glimpse of the band leaving the theater? *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:37:28 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: S.E.X.X.Why? On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Robert Mootrey u wrote: > > *...Which would, of course, make [wa:I] (IPA) a pun on the words "why" and > > "y", and we all know that part of TMBG's character is puns. "Why?" also > > nicely leads into the "because." > > > Say, that's good! I like it.--did anybody notice the reference to "Micky > Mouse Club"? ("M I C--see you next time--K E Y--why? because we miss > you!--M O U S E") > How 'bout Woody's Kelly Song from "Cheers"? "Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly... K-E-L-L-Y Why? Because she's Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly..." That's what I thought of when I first heard it. This is my first post to this list, by the way! Be gentle! -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ one man's dream is another man's sad little toothpick hut --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:47:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: educational songs okay, here is something to listen to: It seems like, on each album, there is some sort of educational song, Istanbul, Mammal, Meet James Ensor, and James K. Polk. Those are the strictly, one-topic educational songs. Then there is: Purple Toupee, Dinner Bell, and others I can't think of right now. Why is that? And is there an educational message on (album #1)? ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:47:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Rating of Albums In truth, I have no favorite album. I think it's sort of stupid to try and rate albums, because an album is nothing more than a collection of songs. There is nothing specifically special about one certain album, it is the songs contained within. Maybe you are extremely hooked on 3 or 4 songs from one album, and you like(not as much) 6 or 7 songs on a different album. So which album is better? For me, it really depends on the kind of mood I am in. I will want to listen to ONE specific song, a song I am in the mood for, and then be to lazy too switch the CD, and just listen to the rest of the album. I will say some stuff about the albums though: FS: not enough songs, no lyric sheet. top quality music. (longer songs doesn't mean more musical genius. It means repeating the chorus more times, and adding one more verse) JH: many, many good songs. it seemed to me that many of the songs tied together. Car theme: AKA driver, Sleeping in the flowers(got a ride w/ a drunk guy), End of the tour, Subliminal. Rejected by Girl theme: Subliminal? Sleeping in the flowers. Hospital theme: Subliminal, SITF,Destination: Moon. (Sorry, this list is incomplete) Apollo 18: Love the album art. Many good songs, fingertips is written by a lunatic (lunatic meant nicely). Flood: Lots of good songs, this was the first album I owned. Lincoln: Starts out strongly, gets weaker in the middle, until They'll Need A Crane, when it comes back strong. REALLY love Pencil Rain. My dad heard it, and he thought it was totally stupid. (parents, sometimes. Honestly, I don't know why I keep them around.) (The album who's name is still being debated): Never get tired of it. The original. Good stuff. Also, is anyone going to the SLC concert on Friday night? I would love to meet you. P.S. I made an error, I called Token Back to Brooklyn, Road Token to Brooklyn. Sorry. Signing off, Guava Boy9 ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:47:18 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Demo tape Does anyone have a copy of the demo tape, or any of the singles, for sale? I am interested in buying. Record stores in my area do not carry very much of Their stuff. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 21:17:04 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue >I call it the self titled album. Why can't people just call it the first >album or the self titled album and stop bickering about the pink vs big blue >dog album? > > I call it 'Truth Or Sandwiches' ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:22:29 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: tmbg article Hi everyone, I just picked up a copy of our campus newspaper, and I saw a review of FS inside. Here it is, enjoy! The not so long awaited new release from the band that made accordians and fezzes popular again is here. Although their style has changed drastically since popular albums like "Flood", and "Lincoln", they still have a unique style that no band can duplicate. This album follows along the lines of their last, which featured the Backup Band of Brian Doherty on drums, Graham Maby on bass, and Eric Schermerhorn on guitar. Since the advent of the band, their sound has changed from the accordian-synthesizer-drum machine sound of old. Although the sound has changed, the creative, mind-tapping lyrics haven't. "Factory Showroom" presents such fine songs as "Metal Detector", the tribute to the beach-comber's tool. "New York City", which tells of the great city and sharing it with the girl he loved and "Spiraling Shape", which no one really knows what it is about. Overall, the album is nothing to jump up and down about, but still another bit of TMBG that any fan will enjoy. Just a quick question. Maybe I'm really dumb or something, but what are fezzes? -Heather ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg article Date: Thu, 14 Nov 96 21:50:21 18000 > > Just a quick question. Maybe I'm really dumb or something, but what are > fezzes? > -Heather > Those hats that look like flower pots that shriners wear. BTW, I would appreciate it if people would name their school when writing a message like this was. If you say something like that one message did, "Wow, They Might Be Giants are gonna play my school! Come here if you can!" Then PLEASE say what school you're referring to. So what school was this review at? -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! From: thatoneguy2@juno.com (Kevin M Poe) Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 22:12:15 EST On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:14:36 -0500 Evan Chakroff writes: >At 04:52 PM 11/14/96 -0500, you wrote: >>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Nathan Todd wrote: >> >>> WooHoo! I just got my SonicNet prize in the mail, it is a copy of Factory >>> Showroom. Flans signed the front of the booklet, & Linnel signed the cd >>> itself...pretty cool:) Now, of course I have 2 copies of the cd, > >NOOOOOOOO!!! DO NOT PLAY THE SIGNED CD!!!! >The weight of the ink on the CD itself will make the disc unbalanced. If >you attempt to play it in a normal CD player it will be unbalanced and the >laser that reads the CD will be deflected and hit the "pits" on the >underside of the disc in an unnormal fashion. This will cause long, >high-pitceh sounds to come from your speakers. This could damage your >hearing. >-- Yeah, Sure, OK! Well at least it sounds like you know what you're talking about. I say, Keep It Clean, too. Congratulations!, You found my opinion, thatoneguy2@JUNO.COM (A.K.A. Kevin Poe) "Sleep in the bathtub, put your feet in the oven, Take off your shoes with a fork and a spoon, Look in the cupboard to see if you're happy, Shoot out the night light when you miss the moon" -- Ed's Redeaming Qualities (Bad Coffee) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 22:24:22 -0500 (EST) From: Lambrakos Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg article Fezzes are the round flat-topped and tasseled hat they wear in middle eastern cultures, such as Egypt, Iran, and, you guessed it, Turkey. They are actually outlawed in Turkey now as a sort of Peter the Great-style modernization (Russian History allusion), I have one because I went to Istanbul a few years ago with my family. Hope I cleared up any questions. Will. >Just a quick question. Maybe I'm really dumb or something, but what are >fezzes? >-Heather > > ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:46:07 +1100 Yes!!! I wish Fingertips was one track. It is a nuisance when you have your 5 They CD's all set in random! BTW, does anyone have a favourite part of Fingertips?? Personally, I like the 'What's that blue thing, doing here?' part. It sounds like a part of a Broadway musical about a small Laser (Ford, that is) parked in someone's driveway!! Finding new friends under your pillow is pretty cute too!! Cheers and beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Mysterious Voice Powers Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:41:51 -0500 (EST) > Ah-ha! More evidence for the theory that Linnell is an alien! > Now that you mention it, he was looking right at me at the time, too... m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: SonicNet Prize! Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:46:11 -0500 (EST) > Evan Chakroff writes: > > NOOOOOOOO!!! DO NOT PLAY THE SIGNED CD!!!! > The weight of the ink on the CD itself will make the disc unbalanced. If > you attempt to play it in a normal CD player it will be unbalanced and the > laser that reads the CD will be deflected and hit the "pits" on the > underside of the disc in an unnormal fashion. This will cause long, > high-pitceh sounds to come from your speakers. This could damage your hearing. > This is only true UNLESS Linnell signed the disk in green magic marker... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 00:27:57 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue by bnjljy@ix.netcom.com > I call it the self titled album. Why can't people just call it the first > album or the self titled album and stop bickering about the pink vs big blue > dog album? It doesn't matter what you call it, everyone will know what you're talking about, mainly because none of their other albums fit any of the descriptions that anyone has provided for it. Howabout "The one with 'She's an Angel' on it." (or whatever song you choose, other than Hotel Detective and Don't Let's Start, which also appear on Misc T) or "The one that starts with 'Everything Right is Wrong'" Whatever you choose to call it, let's not waste time fighting about it, or, for that matter, even disccusing it, seeing as how it's irrelevant. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:04:21 -1000 From: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 At 2:46 PM 11/15/1996, Maria, Nick wrote: >actual >release? fingertips is 20 (19?) separate tracks, and I believe it is >impossible for a cd player (working correctly) to do that. >> >Yes!!! I wish Fingertips was one track. It is a nuisance when you have >your 5 They CD's all set in random! The Apollo 18 booklet, down by the credits, says "The indexing of this disc is designed to complement the Shufle Mode of modern CD players." -- kirill - - - - - - - Storage temperature: -30 C (-22 F) to 40 C (104 F). http://www.lava.net/~kirill http://www.lava.net/~kirill/marathon ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 00:40:42 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Those patch necklace things again... Yeah, I know this was talked to death but I was wondering what exactly the necklaces THEY were wearing on Conan last week or so... Please describe them in specific though, I thought I'd have a copy of the show to see for myself, but that won't be til after Thanksgiving or possibly Christmas....yadayadayada....so if someone would kindly respond without flames I would be pleased.... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 00:30:46 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: school Hey- To whoever was wondering what school that article came from - it was from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville campus newspaper. It completely slipped my mind to include that info. Lack of tmbg related stuff.....oh, well. -Heather ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:28:07 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: Michael Jackson & TMBG Hey everybody, the security at the Michael Jackson concert in Sydney last night wouldn't let me in the cricket ground with my TMBG banner because it had bits of wood in it to hold on either side. It was considered dangerous! Hahahaha! Or maybe it is because TMBG kick the King of Pop's ass! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-313 ******************************