Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-314 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 314 Saturday, 16 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: First Album TMBG: Moscow Concert: fun fun fun +1 Re: TMBG: Re: article Re: TMBG: Michael Jackson & TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: article TMBG: ICE Article Part Two TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Live In New York CD TMBG: Good Morning America!! TMBG:Title of first album TMBG: Necklaces...again Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 TMBG: I won too! TMBG: What is Conan? TMBG: Cool TMBG: conan: def TMBG: Istanbul Re: TMBG: I won too! Re: TMBG: What is Conan? TMBG: portland concert TMBG: question about instore! TMBG: Joy! I Won! Re: TMBG: Re: article Re: TMBG: Joy! I Won! TMBG: I won too! Re: TMBG: Joy! I Won! TMBG: We Just Go Nuts at Xmas Time TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-313 Re: TMBG: question about instore! TMBG: Sharing my Joy!! Re: TMBG: I won too! TMBG: Me Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: tmbg article Re: TMBG: portland concert Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: Cool TMBG: ICE PArt Two Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue TMBG: Yet ANOTHER WINNER!!! TMBG: Yet ANOTHER WINNER!!! Part 2 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-313 TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album TMBG: Sheet Music Search TMBG: NY Radio TMBG: Viscous Circles... TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) TMBG: Their heads are caving in TMBG: Live in NY! Re: TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) TMBG: Delicate Balance of a Compact Disc Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search TMBG: why I am sad TMBG: Free Speech and stuff (Re:) Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album TMBG: TMBG Sound for Windows Default beeb Re: TMBG: Their heads are caving in TMBG: HEY BONGO! Re: TMBG: music Re: TMBG: Conan Copies TMBG: a school tmbg story TMBG: Schpider, Fingertips, 1st Album TMBG: Speaking of Bad Eyesight Re: TMBG: How to record DAS Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision TMBG: Re: TMBG sound for windows Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search TMBG: Now That I Have Everything Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album Re: TMBG: Now That I Have Everything Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision TMBG: Istanbul Re: TMBG: Cool TMBG: favourite fingertip TMBG: Flansburgh's College Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:18:12 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Maria, Nick wrote: > > BTW, does anyone have a favourite part of Fingertips?? Personally, I > like the 'What's that blue thing, doing here?' part. It sounds like a > part of a Broadway musical about a small Laser (Ford, that is) parked in > someone's driveway!! > > Finding new friends under your pillow is pretty cute too!! > I've always been kinda partial to "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?" -- "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." -- TMBG "Stand on Your Own Head" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 01:36:04 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 Favorite part of Fingertips, huh? Well, "What's that blue thing doing here" is pretty cool because a friend of mine used that as his campaign slogan for student governemnt (he won, too...president of the school...). "I'm having a heart attack" is also really cool. Above all else, though, is "I walk along darkened corridors." First of all, I could swear that it's Kermit the Frog singing it...second, it just rules. I don't need reasons, do I? Anyways, see y'all around. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu P.S. I'm getting really weird looks from people in my dorm when I walk along singing "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" or "Exquisite Dead Guy." Oh, and BTW...one of the millions of a capella singing groups on our campus (I'm at Washington University in St. Louis) did a version of "Exquisite Dead Guy" at their last concert. It was pretty good. There was also another a capella group that did "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" during orientation, but that's a different story... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:45:30 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 I'm sorry for this post, but... William Tatalovich wrote: Above all > else, though, is "I walk along darkened corridors." First of all, I > could swear that it's Kermit the Frog singing it... That's exactly what I thought! > There was also > another a capella group that did "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" during > orientation, but that's a different story... speaking of Istanbul, has anyone heard the original version from the 50's. No real point in asking this, just curious. -- "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." -- TMBG "Stand on Your Own Head" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:50:01 -0800 From: Colin Ferm Subject: Re: TMBG: First Album >Should I repeat myelf? FIRST ALBUM. >It's short easy to say, makes sense, and should be universally accepted. What? "First album?" No, come on, that's to simple. Think BIGGER, more ABSTRACT, STRANGER, and UNRELATED! --- The Scorched Earth Party - We'll never forget the insults received in the War of 1812. Colin (spud) Ferm spud@tmbg.org spud@hooked.net www.hooked.net/~spud/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 00:29:49 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: TMBG: Moscow Concert: fun fun fun +1 Hey folks, I jsut go tint he door from the Moscow Idaho show, with tape in hand... I will publish the list of songs if someone does not get to it first... If anyone is interested... I now am the (to my knowledge) sole owner of any live Moscow Idaho show in the world... I could facilitate maybe a few trade, copies, etc... email me personally... Hope you all have fun... Matthew K Puvogel RaVeNmAsTeR productions ltd. 1996 "I was walking down Haight Street, in Sanfrancisco, when counter-cultered youth cornered me... She had a freshly died purple mohawk, $120 Doc Martin Boots, so in other words she was wearing about as much equity as I had made so far this year, and with a wanting look, on her pale face, she asked me for some change...... I said change comes from within..." (Wally Pleasant-- Houses of the Holy Moly) ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 03:44:45 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: article << does anyonew want me to post the article i found in smug magazine? >> like, this is a question? re: album pecking order: lincoln is my clear & steady fave, but from there on it really depends on the moment. (yes, ahum, that was blasphemy.) re: It's always seemed to me similar to whorhal doing campbell's soup. -- jen. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 03:32:08 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Michael Jackson & TMBG On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Peter Young wrote: > Hey everybody, the security at the Michael Jackson concert in Sydney last > night wouldn't let me in the cricket ground with my TMBG banner because it > had bits of wood in it to hold on either side. It was considered dangerous! > Hahahaha! Or maybe it is because TMBG kick the King of Pop's ass! > > What I want to know is, why were you at a Michael Jackson concert with a TMBG banner? Or is there some weird They/ Michael Jackson connection that I've missed? I can see it now..."The Girl IS Mine" wasn't with Paul McCartney, it was with John Linnell! Originally, of course, but Michael couldn't dig the smooth tones of the accordian and so kicked Linnell off, and opted for the former Beatle instead. That must be it. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "What, are you kidding? We're on a space ship! This place is crawling with toothpicks!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Joel, MST3K, Exp. 512- "Mitchell!" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 03:31:50 -0600 (CST) From: William Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: article > re: > It's always seemed to me similar to whorhal doing campbell's soup. > I know this is completely unrelated to anything even remotely Them, but I have to say it. Warhol did a hell of a lot more than just those damn Campbell's soups cans. I know you know that--I just need to clear all this up. Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Cans series is the most identifiable (is that a word?) of anything he ever did. Just like with TMBG--they are easily identified by the educational quality of their songs. I'm sure that's what you meant to say...right? Just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about Mr. Warhol... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu P.S. You want Warhol, go to the 6-story museum dedicated to him in Pittsburgh. Some weird stuff there...like the oxidation paintings (which I won't describe...this isn't Warhol's list...) Sorry for the lack of TMBG content. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:28:40 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: ICE Article Part Two From where I left off last night... Following is a list of the 19 bonus tracks, with commentary from Flansburgh: "The Critic Intro" - "It sounds like pull-quotes on the back of a book describing how great it is. At the time, it was something that warmed up crowds of complete strangers. It's basically a minute and a half of comedy." "Now I That I Have Everything"-The first song on our demo (a 23 song, pre-Bar/None cassette from 1985 sold at early TMBG shows, now prized by collectors). That was the "official pop song" to make people think we weren't going to send 'em away in droves." "Mainstream U.S.A.-A 'Dial-A-Song' tune for years and years. ('Dial-A-Song' is the Giants music-via-telephone service) It's been a pinata for the band ever since a producer told us it was an example of how obtuse and unlistenable our material can be. the chorus of the song is: 'Mainstream U.S.A./I flipped that guy the bird.'" "Fake Out in Buenos Aires" - A Magnificent piece of obscura. In fact, John and I had completely forgotten about it. It's very lush and slow and strange. We recorded it for our first album, but we kept it off because thought it would have appeared indulgent." "Greek #3"- "Linnell, who is [art Hellenic, sing it in greek. we played it for a couple of Greek people and they seemed interested and slightly confused." "Hope that I get Old Before I Die' (alternate version)-"Restless was doing a polka album, and they were interested in rock bands that did polka songs. Before we were signed, we tried to convince them to use this song; thay had no interest in it, so we put it on our first album. this is the original acoustic version." "I'm Def"-" this song was probably written the second I heard the term 'I'm Def.' In 1984, the rap lingo in my community was coming fast and furious and "I'm Def' seemed like one of the more fucked up new kinds of slang. the song, though, has no relationship to rap music. I mean, the only words to the song are:'I'm def/I got a job as a test pilot/I'm listening to the radio.' Even though the title is drawn from this popular culture reference, it' srelationship to it is completely tangential which is the core of what makes they Might Be Giants a hard band to explain.' "Don't Let's Start (demo)-"It's a very, very short almost like a sketch of the song. there's something about singing a song for the first time. the way John sang the melody was very pure, direct and fresh. It's difficult to fake freshness...you can't get your virginity back.' "85 Radio Special thank You" - "Another example of something we put together unsolicited. Basically, we made a tape and sent it out to radio stations as a promotional device for ouselves. We thought that instead of sending college radio a tape of ours songs, which we were sure the'd never play, we'd actually sedn them a piece of programming. We created this fifteen minute radio show with crazy interviews and spoken word things. the two minute version (on the box) is the most interesting part of the recording. "Kitten Intro"- "Based on a car commercial." "Weep Day"-"Just a good osng we never put on a record." "Big Big Whoredom"- "It's a little sad we never recorded a final version of this song. When we did it live, we had a very impressive and strange rhythm accompaniment. this version has Linnell playing guitar; it's a lop-sided; both eyes-in-one-socket recording. Definitely less accessible than our average song." "Getting Sentimental Over You."---"We actually took lyrics from another song and grafted them on to another piece of music, so it's not strictly a cover." "Become A Robot"---"this was another song we did for the Restless polka album. It also got rejected. It's an over the top song that uses a Fairlight, which was then a brand new invention, like a music sampler and computer. Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel-every Brit art-rocker guy had a Fairlight in the '80s." "Which describes how you're feeling."---"We did another version of this later in our shows. This is the original version." "Swing is a Word"---"ONe of the first Dial-A-Song recordings, back in '83. A very ugly song." "Doris Bewitched"---A little soundbite. "Counterfeit Fake"---this uses the very first drum machine I ever bought two months before it officially came out in America. this song was created with all the drum programs people had recorded while testing it in the store. I was trying to figure out how this piece of eqiptment worked, so it's very psychotic sounding. I though the title was kind of interesting...like a Bob Dylan title that kind of folds in on itself. "Children Singing Particle Man"---"Given to us in 1990 by a fan, who taught music at an elementary school. He taught these children how to sing 'Particle Man' (from FLOOD, TMBG's Elektra debut). It has that out-of-tune upright piano accompaniment. It's hard not to smile when listening to it." "The songs on (the Early Years) say a lot about what technology was avilable at the time," the band's manager, Jamie Kitman, tells ICE. "and they stand as a testament to what a band of extremely limited means but hightened creativity can put together. It was an exciting time; they were toiling without any of the pressures of record contracts or radio singles." Is ther still more material from those days of toil? Or is Then: the Early Years the extent of They Might Be Giants' closet recordings? "There was some stuff that was just too embarrassing to put on the box," Flansburgh chuckles. "We were kids and we were drinking way too much caffeine. I mean, I found a tape of John adn I performing a Yoko Ono song when we were 17 years old. It's pretty amazing in a weird way...but I don't think we're ready to go public with that." the end. Phew...I'm glad that's over. Typing with these stupid Microsoft Natural Keyboards is such a pain in the ass when you are the world's fastest hunt and peck artist. Anyway...till later. Herne ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:47:56 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Live In New York CD Like Many others I have failed in the attempt to find the Live in New York CD. While I have a dubbed version, I would really like the CD version. If anyone on this list is willing to part, I would pay in the upwards of $30-$40. Thanks. Boba Out. -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Ladies & Gentlemen, a Gibiddy Gibb Gibb AWW!" - They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://bobasboots.home.ml.org. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:54:22 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: TMBG: Good Morning America!! I'm not really a fan of morning shows, in fact I despise them. Just now though I was killing time before work and Good Morning America was on. THe woman said that they would be back to talk about pets after the commercials, then as it faded out they started playing Pet Name! I just thought that hearing them on TV was a pretty cool start to my day! Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "Johannisson, Sune" Subject: TMBG:Title of first album Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 15:53:00 DST I call it the first album or debut album. or what about: 'Exit 12' :-) Sune Copenhagen Denmark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:41:29 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Necklaces...again >> Yeah, I know this was talked to death but I was wondering what exactly the >> necklaces THEY were wearing on Conan last week or so... >> Please describe them in specific though, I thought I'd have a copy of the >> show to see for myself, but that won't be til after Thanksgiving or possibly >> Christmas....yadayadayada....so if someone would kindly respond without >> flames I would be pleased.... Wubba wrote: >The necklaces were large, color versions of the logo on the inside of FS >that looks kinda like this: > _ > _ (M) _ > (T)-|-(B) > ~ (G) ~ > ~ How were they colored? I'm guessing red/orange T Green M Blue B Yellow G was the order: North T M South G O G East B R B West M T Was it perhaps like the hat with the same symbol is what I'm really trying to say... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:48:00 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 << speaking of Istanbul, has anyone heard the original version from the 50's. No real point in asking this, just curious. >> Yes, someone sent me a copy, and it's pretty cool! I was particularly surprised that it has the "Ohhh" part after the first chorus (y'know, the part where Flans' raises his arms), 'cause I thought Flans invented that. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:55:45 -0800 From: Pez Subject: TMBG: I won too! I thought that I hadn't won due to lack of reply... but this morning as I was in the shower I got a call from one of my friends in yon mail room..... "Chris You got a package from sonicnet and it feels like a CD." I screamed, threw some clothes on and picked up my wonderful autographed copy of Factory showroom! The front says "You've Won!" and below that is "J H " and then there is a character that looks somewhat like an F so I am assuming that that is the powerful and allmighty flans and on the cd itself "John Sid" now I think I remember that Sidney is Linnells middle name, is that right? Nothing can go wrong on this day, pez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:17:05 GMT From: Fan in Oz Subject: TMBG: What is Conan? Sorry if I appear to be ignorant, but what in the world is Conan? I have not heard of it here in Australia at all...... ____________________________________________________________________________ "Let me tell you about the illusion of free will" Sheriff Buck ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:07:43 -0600 From: Alex Organization: U T at Austin Subject: TMBG: Cool Cool!!, 85 RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS ON BEING A MAN >>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>> 1. Don't call. EVER. >>>> 2. If you don't like a girl, don't tell her. It's more fun to let her >>>> figure it out by herself. >>>> 3. Lie. >>>> 4. Name your penis. Be sure it is something narcissistic and >>>> unoriginal, such as "spike" >>>> 5. If you lose something that belongs to someone else, tell them you >>>> mailed it to them/already gave it to them. >>>> 6. Play with yourself as often as possible. Tell everyone about it. >>>> 7. Be as ambiguous as possible. If you don't want to answer, a >>>> grunt will do. >>>> 8. Always remember: You are a man. Therefore, no matter what, it >>>> isn't your fault. >>>> 9. Lie. >>>> 10. Girls find it attractive if a man has had more women than baths. >>>> 11. Never ask for help. Even if you really, really need help --- >>>> don't ask. People will think you have no penis. >>>> 12. Women like it when you ignore them. It arouses them. >>>> 13. If, GOD FORBID, you have to talk to a girl on the phone, use only >>>> monosyllabic words and noises. Bodily noises are permissible. >>>> 14. TWO WORDS: Hack and spit. (Big loogies means a big penis) >>>> 15. Everyone finds a man more attractive if he can write his name in >>>> urine. >>>> 16. One sure way to make a girl like you is to go after her best >>>> friend. She will then see what she's missing and love you for not >>>> giving up on her. >>>> 17. Tell her you will call. Then, refer back to rule #1. >>>> 18. Don't wear matching clothes. People will think your girlfriend >>>> picked it out, and it will cramp your style on picking up chicks. >>>> 19. Lie. >>>> 20. Deny everthing. Everything. >>>> 21. If you like a girl, tell all your female friends about her. >>>> Especially female friends you suspect may have a crush on you. >>>> (Probably all of them --- you're a man remember?) They really >>>> want to know. >>>> 22. Don't have a clue. >>>> 23. If you get a clue, pretend you didn't and disregard it. >>>> 24. No means yes. >>>> 25. Yes means no. >>>> 26. If you don't get sex whenever you want, your balls will shrivel. >>>> You may get sick or even die. This is one of the most important >>>> rules. >>>> 27. If anyone asks, you have had sex in all possible positions >>>> and locations. >>>> 28. Much like an orgasm signifies the end of a sexual peak, sex often >>>> signifies the end of a relationship. >>>> 29. Feelings? What feelings? >>>> 30. Life is one big competition. If someone is better than you at >>>> something, either pretend it's not true or kick their ass. >>>> 31. Lie I tell you!! >>>> 32. DO NOT make decisions about relationships. If you are backed >>>> into a corner and must make a decision, stall. If you still >>>> must come up with an answer, leave yourself a loophole for >>>> escape. Example: >>>> Question: "Honey, will you take me out for a romantic >>>> dinner?" >>>> Answer: "Yes, if you can guess how many sperm I produce >>>> each day." >>>> 33. Every sentence that anyone says can be twisted to have sexual >>>> meaning. Twist. >>>> 34. At any given opportunity, point out how things look like various >>>> genitalia. (If, by chance, you have Play-Doh, make sure you make >>>> a replica of your penis. Exagerate the dimensions by 25%). >>>> 35. Lie. >>>> 36. "Love" is not in your vocabulary. don't even think about saying >>>> it. >>>> 37. A general rule: If whatever you're doing does not satisfy you >>>> completely in 5 minutes, it's really not worth it. >>>> 38. Diss your girlfirend. Beg and plead until you get her back. Diss >>>> her again. Repeat cycle. >>>> 39. Lie. >>>> 40. Apologize whenever it's expected. NEVER mean it. >>>> 41. If you hurt someone, pretend you care. Don't. >>>> 42. Try to have a good memory, but it's OK if you forget trivial >>>> things. You know, like your girlfriend's b-day and eye color. >>>> 43. Ignorance solves problems. If you can't see them, they can't see >>>> you. >>>> 44. It is never your duty to take responsibility for your actions. >>>> 45. Create new words and phrases to describe genetalia, sex, semen, >>>> etc. >>>> 46. Lie. >>>> 47. Play with your food only if you are in a public place with >>>> people you don't know. >>>> 48. Play with your penis only if you are in a public place with >>>> people you don't know. >>>> 49. If people express extreme disgust at whatever you are doing, >>>> DON'T STOP! This is the desired reaction. >>>> 50. You are NOT a virgin. Ever. Males are born without virginity. >>>> 51. You are male, therefore you are superior. >>>> 52. Agenda for a typical evening: Get beer. Drink beer. Play with >>>> yourself. Have sex. Drink more beer. Pass out. >>>> 53. Females do not care what you do to them as long as they get to >>>> please you. >>>> 54. Don't ever notice anything. >>>> 55. If you're going out with someone but you love someone else, don't >>>> say anything. Wait until the girl you are going out with falls in >>>> love with YOU, and then tell her. >>>> 56. Basic fundamental rule of dating: Quantity, not quality. >>>> 57. Basic fundamental rule of sex: Quantity IS quality. >>>> 58. Lie. >>>> 59. If you cheat on a girl, but no one finds out, then technically >>>> you've done nothing wrong. >>>> 60. Crying is not manly. Then again, if you are a man, what do you >>>> have to cry about, anyway? >>>> 61. If the question begins with "why," the answer is "I don't know." >>>> 62. Women are your napkins. Use them, and throw them away. >>>> 63. Remember, Every virgin girl is saving herself for YOU. >>>> 64. Don't ever let anyone say "I told you so." If you hear this >>>> phrase and it didn't come out of your mouth, go ballistic. >>>> 65. If your woman makes you go shopping with her, drive around until >>>> a parking spot right near the door opens up. If this takes >>>> hours, so be it. You will have the coveted "door spot" and >>>> others will worship your skills. >>>> 66. Other peoples' pain is strictly for your amusement. Laugh long, >>>> laugh loud, laugh heartily. >>>> 67. Lie. >>>> 68. If anyone asks you for a favor- a) make a big deal about how >>>> hard it is for you to do it, b) remind them of this huge favor >>>> you've done for them at least every 5 minutes for the rest of >>>> their life. >>>> 69. 69 >>>> 70. If you do something really mean to a girl, and she doesn't want >>>> to talk to you, pretend nothing happened. If she still doesn't >>>> talk to you, casually ask, "is something wrong?" >>>> 71. Three words: Let's be friends. Translation: I never want to >>>> speak to you again, but it's bad for my nice-guy image if you >>>> are mad at me, so I'll pretend I want to be your friend. >>>> 72. Lie. >>>> 73. If you're on a date, and there is a lull in the conversation, tell >>>> the girl how many different dorms you've been laid in. >>>> 74. Here's a good trick. Tell a girl that you're going to leave >>>> for a few minutes and when you come back, you want her naked, >>>> sprawled on the bed. Leave,and go into her dad's room and >>>> tell him he should go check on his daughter. Then drive like >>>> hell. (true story.) >>>> 75. If a girl breaks up with you because you're in love with someone >>>> else, she has no right to be upset. Because, you know, SHE's the >>>> one who wanted to end the relationship. >>>> 76. The best sex position is you, lying face up... and twenty girls >>>> on top. >>>> 77. Default facial expression: blank stare. >>>> 78. Spend your spare time thinking of excuses and shove them up >>>> your butt. Then, whenever you need a good excuse, you can pull >>>> it out of your ass. >>>> 79. If you are asked to do something you REALLY DON'T want to do, >>>> first try your manly best to get out of it. If that doesn't work, >>>> go ahead and do what you were asked to do, but complain that you >>>> don't know how to do it and continuously ask questions on how to >>>> do each little part. If no one rushes in to do it for you YET, >>>> finish the job in the most half-assed way you possibly can and >>>> then say, "SEE?? I TOLD you I couldn't do it." Eventually, >>>> people will stop asking you to do things. >>>> 80. Do not listen to "pussy music" such as Erasure, Color Me Badd, or >>>> Oldies. >>>> 81. Beer. Then more beer. >>>> 82. One word: FOOTBALL! >>>> 83. Real men beat up others who are inferior. I mean, we don't want >>>> the inferior of the species to get to reproduce ever, do we??? >>>> 84. Discuss your pecs at every opportunity. >>>> 85. LIE. >>> >>> >>> Marissa >>> >>>----------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>Marissa_Lifshen@Brown.edu >>>401-863-6266 ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: conan: def Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:40:27 EST sorry i'm posting this and not sending direct mail but i have gotten in the habit of deleting messages right after i read them...so i have no idea who asked the question except that whoever did lives in australia conan is conan o'brien and it's a talk show (sort of like letterman) but it's on the other channel (i think it's nbc) well, it's the one with the peacock/rainbow symbol... he's supposedly known as "the yankee ass" (in the london episode) and he is funny, but occ. annoying tmbg was on his show last wed (they played s e x x y) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:55:07 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Istanbul I have a record of Istanbul by the Four Lads.. I can't play it because it's a heavy one and someplaces are scratched. My dad knew the song when I first played it.. uh. thats all bluecanary ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: I won too! Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:51:53 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Pez: >I thought that I hadn't won due to lack of reply... but this morning >as I was in the shower I got a call from one of my friends in yon mail >room..... "Chris You got a package from sonicnet and it feels like a CD." >I screamed, threw some clothes on and picked up my wonderful autographed >copy of Factory showroom! A true fan would not have bothered with such trivial issues as attire. -CB ;) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:00:14 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: What is Conan? 'Conan' is short for Late Night with Conan O'Brian, a popular late night show here in the USA. TTYL, -Adam Tyner At 04:17 PM 11/15/96 GMT, you wrote: >Sorry if I appear to be ignorant, but what in the world is Conan? I have >not heard of it here in Australia at all...... > >____________________________________________________________________________ > >"Let me tell you about the illusion of free will" Sheriff Buck > > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:18:39 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: portland concert So am I going to see any of you tomorrow night at La Luna here in Portland, OR? I'll be the fifteen year old wearing the drinking bird dial-a-song shirt, hopefully up front unless those damn moshers threaten to break any of my important limbs. Chow for now, Liam ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:00:27 -0500 Subject: TMBG: question about instore! a little behind... apparently AOL neglected to send me all my mail. :P >>I just watched Larry Sanders tonight, gotta love that show. Well, it seems Scott Thompson has joined the show as someone working for the tv station or for Larry. << He did last season. :) Only this new season, I've seen only 1 episode so far, and I can already tell that his character is getting more airtime. Last season, he was lucky if he had 2 lines. QUESTION: Did any of you luckie duckies who went to the TMBG NYC instore *video*-tape it? I'm just curios, because I would love a video copy. I have a dub of a BNL instore video-taped (Larry "Garit 1997" I think you were the one who taped it, correct? With Dave Foley in the audience? I got a copy from Trista), and il est tres-excellente. :) ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:21:42 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Joy! I Won! Well, as that other person said, just because you didn't hear back from SonicNet doesn't mean you didn't win. I just got my Factory Showroom CD with Flans' signature on the cover and Linnell's (presumably) on the CD itself. Btw, does anyone have any guesses as to why Linnell would have signed "John Sid"? Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:22:03 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: article << Warhol did a hell of a lot more than just those damn Campbell's soups cans. I know you know that >> and as I know that you know, I was simply making a point about processes of cultural resignification by referencing one of the most celebrated & accessible, if not obvious, examples, not trying to reduce warhol to that campbell's soup guy. -- jen "He lived with his mother & the torments of Christ." -- tmbg "People tend to forget that play is serious." -- David Hockney ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:31:22 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Joy! I Won! << Btw, does anyone have any guesses as to why Linnell would have signed "John Sid"? >> john sidney linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:32:35 -0500 (EST) From: John Murray Subject: TMBG: I won too! millercv@earthlink.net writes: > I thought that I hadn't won due to lack of reply... but this morning > as I was in the shower I got a call from one of my friends in yon mail > room..... "Chris You got a package from sonicnet and it feels like a CD." > I screamed, threw some clothes on and picked up my wonderful autographed > copy of Factory showroom! Me Too!!! Yep I just got back from picking up my package with my signed CD in it. This is so cool. It lokks just like pez discribed it. Mine has a notch melted out of the side of it, but I may just swap the cases so that it is perfect. I have seen this before, does anyone know why notches are made on CD cases? I may scan the signatures a put them on the Web when I get a chance. Later, John ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Joy! I Won! Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:43:42 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Justin Higgins: >Btw, does anyone have any guesses as to why Linnell would have signed >"John Sid"? John's middle name is Sidney. -CB ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:50:35 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: We Just Go Nuts at Xmas Time Hi all, A while ago, when Bo Orloff ran the official TMBG site, and they had Dial-A-Song Online, I recall downloading a song called "We Just Go Nuts at Christmas Time". I thought that this was a really great song (its too bad it doesn't seem to have gone past DAS). All I know of this is that it was from the Frank O'Tool Radio Show, and I think it is also on Power of Dial-A-Song. Does anyone know how I can either a) get a copy of PODAS or b) get the recording of We Just go Nuts? If anyone can help me out, please let me know. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping CapAccess Business & Professional Center CapAccess Science & Technology Center Career Resource Center ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:56:47 -0800 From: shawn miller Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-313 > xJust curious as to what everybody calls They's debut album... > xI call it The Big Blue Dog > xSome call it The Pink Album > > We could just compromise and call it the Big Purple Dog album... > Sorry. Am I the only one who has ever referred to it as Self Titled? I also like the Dancing Snowmen idea. > Things that disapoint me about Factory Showroom: > Added those 3 other guys to credits. > NO LYRIC SHEET! > only 13 songs (compared to the average of somewhere around 17 - 38!) They put all of the lyrics to FS in the latest Newsletter. It was even in an easy to assemble box for your convienience. > in order, along with my star rating (out of five stars). > > Factory showroom 5 > Apollo 18 5 > Lincoln 5 > John Henry 5 > Misc T 4 1/2 > First Album 4 1/2 > Flood 4 If you only gave Flood a four and put it as Their worst album, then you've just listened to it way to much. I would have to say that some of Their funniest and wittiest material is on Flood. I'll agree that the overplayed fact could hurt it, but with songs like Dead and Whistling in the Dark, it cannot possibly be the worst. The rest I can understand. - "I want a book that'll make me drunk" - The Tragically Hip - " " - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:56:08 -0800 (PST) From: "Jonathan Lee Wilson (Jon Wilson)" Subject: Re: TMBG: question about instore! Speaking of the Larry Sanders show, when is the They Might Be Giants episode going to be aired??? On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > a little behind... apparently AOL neglected to send me all my mail. :P > > >>I just watched Larry Sanders tonight, gotta love that show. Well, it seems > Scott Thompson has joined the show as someone working for the tv station or > for Larry. << > He did last season. :) Only this new season, I've seen only 1 episode so far, > and I can already tell that his character is getting more airtime. Last > season, he was lucky if he had 2 lines. > > QUESTION: Did any of you luckie duckies who went to the TMBG NYC instore > *video*-tape it? I'm just curios, because I would love a video copy. I have a > dub of a BNL instore video-taped (Larry "Garit 1997" I think you were the one > who taped it, correct? With Dave Foley in the audience? I got a copy from > Trista), and il est tres-excellente. :) > ~sarah :) > http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:01:51 -0600 (CST) From: Thomas St Francis Gibson Subject: TMBG: Sharing my Joy!! I got Factory Showroom!! I felt like I already knew it. I had already almost completely memorized the lyrics (something I vow to never do again), and had heard so much about it from the list it was weird to get it. But I have it now! I have listened to it for about a week now, whenever I can, (I lost my headphones, and my roommate frightens me.), and I have decided that I *Really* don't like "I Can Hear You". With the new addition of FS to my collection, (It's the only one I have on CD. kinda' pathetic, huh?) I now have all the albums but Miscellaneous T and Lincoln, which if I heard right, are going to be in the boxed set! What Luck!! I will have the boxed set as soon as I can get my grubby little paws on it. Remember the Alamo or something, I'm outta' here! hasta los huevos! ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:03:36 +0006 Subject: Re: TMBG: I won too! >Mine has a notch melted out of the side of it, but I may just swap >the cases so that it is perfect. I have seen this before, does >anyone know why notches are made on CD cases? CDs (or LPs, remember them?) with notches, corners cut off, or holes drilled in the cases are called "cut-out" Record Distributors do this to them before they liquidate old, overproduced or samples, so they can't be sold at full retail price. My copy of Lincoln is a cutout. I got it for $4.99 and it plays jsut fine. Det. sorryabouttheConanpost Dave ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:06:11 -0800 (PST) From: "Jonathan Lee Wilson (Jon Wilson)" Subject: TMBG: Me This is my first message to this list so why don't I make it big? I am a philosophy student here at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, California. I also have a minor in Theater. I have been a They fan for about 6 years now and I own all their albums, a couple of e.p.s, Mono Puff, lots of shirts, and their video. I have seen them in concert three times up and down the west coast. In fact the main point of this message is that I am partly in charge of putting on their concert here on my campus on november 21st! Go ahead and look at their schedule and you'll see that they're gonna be at the Cal Poly Rec Center. Since I am a d.j. at the school radio station, I am in charge of advertising for ASI Concerts here. It's going to be pretty small since no one in this conservative town has heard of They. But it's going to kick ass none the less! I hope that They and Cub do a New York City duel! That brings me to my next point, does anyone else have mixed feeling about the new album? I mean, there are some awesome songs (Till my Head Falls Off, Metal Detector, I Can Hear You, Bells Are Ringing...) but there are a few things that just don't fit. 1 Two songs on the album were already available elsewhere. 2 This is the first album with NO lyrics! The liner note art was horrible! There weren't that many songs! Maybe they're starting to slip in their old age. Oh well. Gotta love 'em. "Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around." Doogie ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:31:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote In a message dated 96-11-14 12:29:41 EST, you write: << > > The stereotype being that anyone that listens to those bands must obviously > be of lower musical taste. > The basic thing I was saying was that by definition: A person thinks TMBG is good and that other bands are bad The same person believes that TMBG is in good taste (pretty much because he likes them) and that the other bands are in bad tast (because he doesn't like them). So he belives that he is in Good Taste because he likes a band he believes are in good taste (do you see the flow?) He then also believes the people who like the other bands are in Bad Taste because they like a band which he considers a Bad Band. Bad Taste = Lower Taste than Good Taste It is a matter of Opinion. Not stereotype, because according to these flowing definitions, it has to be so. It is like saying that calling anyone with certain pigmented hair a Blonde haired person would be stereotyping, when in fact, by definition it is true. Steven J. Luke SJL >> Ok.....since we are now enjoying the fun of logic, I feel like throwing a few definitions in too..... Stereotype- something monotonously familiar, conventional, predictable.-- v.t. to make a stereotype from. to make into an empty formula. (Source, Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus. 1990 edition. I have omitted the unrelated parts of the definition. None of which are about a stereotype as we are discussing.) Now the interesting part of that definition is "To make into an empty formula". Now, since taste is simply a matter of opinion, and has no factual substance that would make it "empty". Well, since your string of logic (Well written and well presented as it is.) would seem to create a formula of sorts It would appear that you have, by definition portrayed a stereotype. Disclaimer- This is all OPINION. It is not intended to defame, put down, or otherwise insult anyone. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:47:34 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg article On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Lambrakos wrote: > Fezzes are the round flat-topped and tasseled hat they wear in middle > eastern cultures, such as Egypt, Iran, and, you guessed it, Turkey. They are > actually outlawed in Turkey now as a sort of Peter the Great-style > modernization (Russian History allusion), I have one because I went to > Istanbul a few years ago with my family. Hope I cleared up any questions. yep...If anyone has Frank Black's first album, you can see a close copy in the picture behind the lyrics for Fu-Manchu. > >Just a quick question. Maybe I'm really dumb or something, but what are > >fezzes? In TMBG content, TMBG's first real promotional item was a fez. They were sold during the Big Blue Dog and Lincoln tours. Not many were produced, and not many exist. Many diehard fans don't have one. They were red, I believe, and had a TMBG tassle. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:48:01 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: portland concert On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Liam Singer wrote: > So am I going to see any of you tomorrow night at La Luna here in > Portland, OR? I'll be the fifteen year old wearing the drinking > bird dial-a-song shirt, hopefully up front unless those damn moshers > threaten to break any of my important limbs. > > Chow for now, > Liam I'll be there with all of my nerd friends! We're loud and obnoxious and practically unmistakable. ;) I'll be wearing either my "Lookie at the New Tour Hats!" shirt, or the one with the pokey little puppy adorning the back. We'll be up front! | Alex@europa.com | www.europa.com/~alex | | BarenakedLadies PetShopBoys Erasure TheyMightBeGiants | I'd rather hear some truth tonight than entertain your lies -Natalie Merchant ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:31:08 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Whatever you choose to call it (Their Firt Album), let's not waste time fighting about it, > or, for that matter, even disccusing it, seeing as how it's irrelevant. > I don't think anybody is actully fighting about it, I think they are all simply bringing up their own ideas as to what convention to call it, so we are all in prfct sinc. when discussing it, and don't haav to refer o it in the seven forms we have seen it referred to as (whew, long sentance!). I also see it as being completely relevant, you just have to realize that the discussion we were having is about the Debut Album, saying it is not relevant is a mistake. Question: Why is it, when ever anybody disagrees, dissents, or discuses anything here they have to worry about getting flamd, or having their discussion referd to as flaming and fighting? Food for thought Steven J. Luke *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Chinese peole were fighting in the park, we tried to help 'em fight, no one appreciated that." Hmmm. I wonder why? We were just trying to help! *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 15:28 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:Apollo 18 >BTW, does anyone have a favourite part of Fingertips?? Personally, I >like the 'What's that blue thing, doing here?' part. It sounds like a >part of a Broadway musical about a small Laser (Ford, that is) parked in >someone's driveway!! That one always made me think of the the Tick. I can just picture some villain with the name of "Opera Man" or something singing "What's that blue thing doing here?!" I think my other favorite is "Please pass the milk please" because I think of it every time I say "pleas pass the milk" and my dad, if he's in a good mood, sometimes sings it when I ask for the milk. Also, the woman's voice reminds me of Maria on Sesame Street. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:46:33 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 Raldus@aol.com wrote: > Now the interesting part of that definition is "To make into an empty > formula". Now, since taste is simply a matter of opinion, and has no factual > substance that would make it "empty". > Well, since your string of logic (Well written and well presented as it is.) > would seem to create a formula of sorts It would appear that you have, by > definition portrayed a stereotype. The problem here is the word "empty". I would like to presume that what is opinion (Morals?) does not have no meaning, simply because it has little or no basis on empirical facts. But that, I guess is a completely other subject that has been being discussed for Centuries. > Disclaimer- This is all OPINION. It is not intended to defame, put down, or > otherwise insult anyone. I would have to refer back to my previous post, I think it is SAD that anyone would have to put a disclaimer on the bottom of their post. Some people on this list are to sensitiv, I guess. Thanks, by the way, Raldus, for the reassurance against the flame :) Steven J. Luke *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "They're digging through all of your files, stealing back your best ideas," but, hey, you don't need them, you aren't using them. They'll get put to better use! Stop bitchin' about it. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:57:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Cool not this again.... please don't post these things to the list. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:08:39 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: ICE PArt Two This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------387439C33292 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Part two got belched up from cyberspace so I'm forwarding the whole thing. I apologise for the extra crap...If this fails I'll redo it tomorrow. Thanks Herne --------------387439C33292 Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Received: from andorra.it.earthlink.net (andorra-c.it.earthlink.net [204.119.177.97]) by bulgaria.it.earthlink.net (8.7.5/8.7.3) with ESMTP id EAA02918 for ; Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:14:56 -0800 (PST) Received: from localhost (localhost) by andorra.it.earthlink.net (8.7.5/8.7.3) with internal id UAK11076; Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:33:17 -0800 (PST) Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:33:17 -0800 (PST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours Message-Id: <199611150433.UAK11076@andorra.it.earthlink.net> To: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status; boundary="UAK11076.848032397/andorra.it.earthlink.net" Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (warning-timeout) X-UIDL: f98d22aaa00b370de01801776b76f466 Status: U X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 This is a MIME-encapsulated message --UAK11076.848032397/andorra.it.earthlink.net ********************************************** ** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY ** ** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE ** ********************************************** The original message was received at Thu, 14 Nov 1996 07:25:02 -0800 (PST) from [206.250.112.45] ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications ----- (transient failure) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 451 ... earthlink.net: Name server timeout 451 ... earthlink.net: Name server timeout 451 ... tmbg.org: Name server timeout Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until message is 5 days old 451 ... earthlink.net: Name server timeout --UAK11076.848032397/andorra.it.earthlink.net Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; andorra.it.earthlink.net Arrival-Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 07:25:02 -0800 (PST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Action: delayed Status: 4.4.3 Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:33:17 -0800 (PST) Will-Retry-Until: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 07:25:02 -0800 (PST) --UAK11076.848032397/andorra.it.earthlink.net Content-Type: message/rfc822 Return-Path: herne@earthlink.net Received: from Ken ([206.250.112.45]) by andorra.it.earthlink.net (8.7.5/8.7.3) with SMTP id HAA15027 for ; Thu, 14 Nov 1996 07:25:02 -0800 (PST) Message-ID: <328BE368.F89@earthlink.net> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:28:40 -0800 From: Herne X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win95; U) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: ICE Article Part Two Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit >From where I left off last night... Following is a list of the 19 bonus tracks, with commentary from Flansburgh: "The Critic Intro" - "It sounds like pull-quotes on the back of a book describing how great it is. At the time, it was something that warmed up crowds of complete strangers. It's basically a minute and a half of comedy." "Now I That I Have Everything"-The first song on our demo (a 23 song, pre-Bar/None cassette from 1985 sold at early TMBG shows, now prized by collectors). That was the "official pop song" to make people think we weren't going to send 'em away in droves." "Mainstream U.S.A.-A 'Dial-A-Song' tune for years and years. ('Dial-A-Song' is the Giants music-via-telephone service) It's been a pinata for the band ever since a producer told us it was an example of how obtuse and unlistenable our material can be. the chorus of the song is: 'Mainstream U.S.A./I flipped that guy the bird.'" "Fake Out in Buenos Aires" - A Magnificent piece of obscura. In fact, John and I had completely forgotten about it. It's very lush and slow and strange. We recorded it for our first album, but we kept it off because thought it would have appeared indulgent." "Greek #3"- "Linnell, who is [art Hellenic, sing it in greek. we played it for a couple of Greek people and they seemed interested and slightly confused." "Hope that I get Old Before I Die' (alternate version)-"Restless was doing a polka album, and they were interested in rock bands that did polka songs. Before we were signed, we tried to convince them to use this song; thay had no interest in it, so we put it on our first album. this is the original acoustic version." "I'm Def"-" this song was probably written the second I heard the term 'I'm Def.' In 1984, the rap lingo in my community was coming fast and furious and "I'm Def' seemed like one of the more fucked up new kinds of slang. the song, though, has no relationship to rap music. I mean, the only words to the song are:'I'm def/I got a job as a test pilot/I'm listening to the radio.' Even though the title is drawn from this popular culture reference, it' srelationship to it is completely tangential which is the core of what makes they Might Be Giants a hard band to explain.' "Don't Let's Start (demo)-"It's a very, very short almost like a sketch of the song. there's something about singing a song for the first time. the way John sang the melody was very pure, direct and fresh. It's difficult to fake freshness...you can't get your virginity back.' "85 Radio Special thank You" - "Another example of something we put together unsolicited. Basically, we made a tape and sent it out to radio stations as a promotional device for ouselves. We thought that instead of sending college radio a tape of ours songs, which we were sure the'd never play, we'd actually sedn them a piece of programming. We created this fifteen minute radio show with crazy interviews and spoken word things. the two minute version (on the box) is the most interesting part of the recording. "Kitten Intro"- "Based on a car commercial." "Weep Day"-"Just a good osng we never put on a record." "Big Big Whoredom"- "It's a little sad we never recorded a final version of this song. When we did it live, we had a very impressive and strange rhythm accompaniment. this version has Linnell playing guitar; it's a lop-sided; both eyes-in-one-socket recording. Definitely less accessible than our average song." "Getting Sentimental Over You."---"We actually took lyrics from another song and grafted them on to another piece of music, so it's not strictly a cover." "Become A Robot"---"this was another song we did for the Restless polka album. It also got rejected. It's an over the top song that uses a Fairlight, which was then a brand new invention, like a music sampler and computer. Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel-every Brit art-rocker guy had a Fairlight in the '80s." "Which describes how you're feeling."---"We did another version of this later in our shows. This is the original version." "Swing is a Word"---"ONe of the first Dial-A-Song recordings, back in '83. A very ugly song." "Doris Bewitched"---A little soundbite. "Counterfeit Fake"---this uses the very first drum machine I ever bought two months before it officially came out in America. this song was created with all the drum programs people had recorded while testing it in the store. I was trying to figure out how this piece of eqiptment worked, so it's very psychotic sounding. I though the title was kind of interesting...like a Bob Dylan title that kind of folds in on itself. "Children Singing Particle Man"---"Given to us in 1990 by a fan, who taught music at an elementary school. He taught these children how to sing 'Particle Man' (from FLOOD, TMBG's Elektra debut). It has that out-of-tune upright piano accompaniment. It's hard not to smile when listening to it." "The songs on (the Early Years) say a lot about what technology was avilable at the time," the band's manager, Jamie Kitman, tells ICE. "and they stand as a testament to what a band of extremely limited means but hightened creativity can put together. It was an exciting time; they were toiling without any of the pressures of record contracts or radio singles." Is ther still more material from those days of toil? Or is Then: the Early Years the extent of They Might Be Giants' closet recordings? "There was some stuff that was just too embarrassing to put on the box," Flansburgh chuckles. "We were kids and we were drinking way too much caffeine. I mean, I found a tape of John adn I performing a Yoko Ono song when we were 17 years old. It's pretty amazing in a weird way...but I don't think we're ready to go public with that." the end. Phew...I'm glad that's over. Typing with these stupid Microsoft Natural Keyboards is such a pain in the ass when you are the world's fastest hunt and peck artist. Anyway...till later. Herne --UAK11076.848032397/andorra.it.earthlink.net-- --------------387439C33292-- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:39:36 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue by "Steven J. Luke"@monteag > I don't think anybody is actully fighting about it, I think they > are all simply bringing up their own ideas as to what convention to call > it, so we are all in prfct sinc. when discussing it, and don't haav to > refer o it in the seven forms we have seen it referred to as (whew, long > sentance!). I also see it as being completely relevant, you just have to > realize that the discussion we were having is about the Debut Album, > saying it is not relevant is a mistake. You must not have seen the last argument about it, then. I don't remember if it was here on on the newsgroup, but it was annoying and worthless. Seeing as how this is a mailing list, people aren't going to want to get lots of messages in their mailboxes saying "It's blue," or "It's pink," or whatever other one line posts people choose to respond with. Making a point is one thing, but just stating a belief, especially after quoting someone's entire message and responding with one line, is pointless as far as debating or discussing goes. I really don't want to have to sift through a hundred messages where 85 of them are simply "I think it should be called....." Besides, there's a very clear answer to the question: the album is called "They Might Be Giants." Similarly, the Beatles album commonly referred to as "The White Album," on which this whole discussion is based originally, is actually called "The Beatles." The main difference is there is substance on the cover of TMBG's album. The Beatles album actually was completely white on all sides of the box (as I recall, it was a two record set that came in a solid white box) It's relevent in the sense that it's TMBG. It's not relevant in the sense that it's pretty much the most minor thing we could possibly discuss about TMBG. The album sounds the same regardless of what we call it. > Question: Why is it, when ever anybody disagrees, dissents, or > discuses anything here they have to worry about getting flamd, or having > their discussion referd to as flaming and fighting? Because there are people who will flame them in response, and, if you're making reference to my post, I'm simply stating that I don't want to see a large scale discussion about it, because people seem to think that the only way to get a point across is yelling, and I can see this turning into a huge argument/fight/whatever. I don't want that to happen. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Yet ANOTHER WINNER!!! Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:41:37 -0600 YYYYIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT A NICE PACKAGE FROM SONICNET TODAY!!!!!!!!!! And we all know what comes in those - FS with JOHN F on the front and JOHN SID on the cd. I am trying to find a place where it will be entierly safe. Maybe i'll buy a safe! YEAH! This rocks...... OH YEAH! Anybody that has won: Does your cd have a chip off the spine across the letter "T" in they? Well, mine does. And it dosent look like a mistake.... it is a very uniform chip, 1/8 inch wide stiraght cross. Weird........ Dying of joy, -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Yet ANOTHER WINNER!!! Part 2 Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:58:16 -0600 Okay, now that i read my mail, i know why the chip is there. But my copy dosent have any cartoons or anything..... not even YOU WON...... the front says John f... well, the "j" looks a little different : ----- | | ---+- \__/ I wanna see the sppecial cartoons, is anyone gonna be scanning???? Unrelated PS: That totally pointless message, "Cool" was the kinda thing that really makes people mad. Anyone remember the chainletter? Ugh. well, thats all -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-313 Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 17:16:04 -0600 From: Danny Jones >okay, here is something to listen to: > >It seems like, on each album, there is some sort of educational song, >Istanbul, Mammal, Meet James Ensor, and James K. Polk. Those are the >strictly, one-topic educational songs. Then there is: Purple Toupee, Dinner >Bell, and others I can't think of right now. Why is that? And is there an >educational message on (album #1)? I read where one of the Johns said in an interview that they had a stack of educational songs but released them occasionally because they didn't want to be stereotyped as that kind of band. Whatever that means. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:26:49 -0800 From: "Paul W. Wenzel" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album TMBG, in my opinion, will never make a bad album. However, some albums are just more good than others RATINGS (OUT OF 10): TMBG 10 This album started it all off for the TMBG we know today. Don't Let's Start is still a work of genius, and so is She's an Angel. Although I don't like the songs The Day, Alienation's for the rich, or Absolutly Bill's Mood, the good far outweighs the bad. LINCOLN 10 This is THE BEST TMBG album. It starts off strong with Ana Ng, and finishes strong with Kiss ME, Son of God. In my opinion, there is not one bad song on this CD. FLOOD 10 The most known TMBG album, although not the best. This is the one my friend got me hooked on. Particle Man, Istanbul, Women and Men, and They Might Be Giants are just some of the great songs. The bad: Your Racist Friend, Sapphire Bullets of Love. APPOLO 18 8 Sorry But this album doesn't appeal to me. With the exception of Narrow Your Eyes, Mammal, See the Constellation, Dig my Grave, Turn Around, and Fingertips, I just find my self fastfowarding through the rest. JOHN HENRY 10 A new mark for the band. Finally had some harder stuff, (Sleeping in the Flowers, and Subliminal) But they also kept there wits about them. I really don't like James Ensor, and Spy (Just the ending) FACTORY SHOWROOM 10 A work of art. There jumping onto mainstreamity. They made longer songs, and had less songs, which worked beautiffuly. Until my HEad falls off is awesome, XTC, and James K. Polk suck. MISECLLANEOUS-T 9 All in all a good CD. It does have the bad songs though (#13, Lady is a Tramp, Birds Fly, World's Adress) But it also has the good stuff (NIghtgown on the Sullen Moon, It's not my b-day, Hey Mr. D.J.)Too many bad songs for a 10, but to little for Apollo 18 status. *-------------------------------------------------------------------------"Drug trip, it's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted" - Nightgown on the sullen moon *------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:37:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Sheet Music Search Does anyone have the sheet music to TMBG songs? I would especially like from Flood or Fac. Showroom. Please contact me with information. For cheap (IMO) prices on TMBG albums visit www.cdnow.com I ordered factory showroom from them for about $15! Joel Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:39:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: NY Radio Hi TMBGers, First of all, I must say Factory Showroom is GREAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!! One of their finest works of all!!!! Can anyone help me with NYC area radio stations that play TMBG? I can't seem to find any, but I know there are! For the New York City/ Long Island area! Joel Gedalius "When they meet, it's a happy land"--TMBG "Particle Man" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:47:49 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Viscous Circles... > The list was subscribed to itself today. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That is the funniest thing I have read today. Somebody out there just came up with the perfect way of screwing with a bounce list. Really, what an evil thing to do -- it causes an infinite loop; any message thrown in by a third party will constantly reproduce itself and recycle in the void ad infinitum until someone puts it out of its misery. >I'm sure >that they do have seven or so extra songs already recorded, so why didn't >they just put them on FS? For those who missed it before: 1) Both Johns agreed that John Henry was "too long" -- a bit much to work your way through. 2) The mini-tour songs had a certain "flavor" that didn't mix all that well with the songs which wound up on FS. They decided to keep all the songs that were in a certain way similar together, which ended up breaking into two groups of songs, one of 8 and one of 14. That's just the decision TMBG and Pat Dillett made. >One last note, I was reading the TMBG newsgroup (something which I rarely >do) and noticed a few postings by people who claim to have witnessed >Linnell peeing off the side of the stage into the audience during >Particle Man. Okay -- this is "Coiled" who posted that. He also said that liking HCISLAG is "a tell-tale sign of homosexuality." Do you really want to trust *him*? As for the Pink/Blue thing: we've gone through this before, and if we go through it again I'll be forced to bloodily slash and kill each and every one of you. :) Luckily for us, the music industry has a term just for albums such as this: "Eponymous." So, please, everybody, can we just refer to it as The Eponymous One and be done with it? >Calling >certain bands crappy, and insinuating that the listeners are of lower taste >is in itself a form of bad taste. IMHO, anyone can listen to whatever the heck they want. They can listen to crap if they want. But I would like them to admit it's crap. You listen to MM? Good for you. But are you willing to admit that his image and "message" are a faux creation designed to get teenagers to buy his albums? >Even allowing for the >labelling of Ruprecht the Ass as an asshole (considering his name and >recurring bouts of rudeness, was it that much of a stretch?) Dave, thanks for the help. As for the Ruprecht thing: I did apologize to the list and to Ruprecht himself in response to that. I really am sorry about that -- I wasn't thinking straight. >The point I'm trying to make is that the unaltered songs are the >relatively mediocre songs on the future albums Nyuh-uh. "Puppet Head" was identical on Pink and the Demo tape, and that is a *great* song by 'most any standard. > They might be releasing 2 shorter albums with only one year between them >instead of one longer one because They might want to finish Their Elektra 8 >album deal sooner. Good. Elektra is *not* good for the Giants and They really should get out of there ASAP. Look at XTC if you want to see what having a sucky record company can do to you. (IMHO, XTC and TMBG should both sign to Ryko where they can live out their record recording days in bliss... :) BTW, has anyone else noticed that, in the Snail Shell video, at times Linnell bears an uncanny resemblance to....(drumroll please)....Matthew Broderick? Am I hallucinating? Confused? What? /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:10:35 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) Hey, check out my new web page at http://www.scenemagazine.com/Lothar.html Yo have to type it exactly right, and it's not registered with any servers yet, but it's kind of cool. Don't go to Sean's section, instead to go LotharCo. They content: I was listening to spiralling shape the other day, and I thought it would be so cool to make some art inspired by the song. Like looking at something (the shape) through a window, but it's sort of distorted cause ther'es snow ad frost on the window.. Does anyone else get ideas for art from Their songs? Or just certain colors in their head when they listen to Them. Like I get sort of a mix of purple, yellow, and yellow green from spirlalling shape. Or reds and bleus from 'till my head falls off. Am I just odd, or does anyone else get these ideas? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:27:25 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Their heads are caving in >I'm really pissed off with the fact that you guys say that anyone who >doesn't like S-E-X-X-Y or XTC v AA on;y wants the old style TMBG and >doesn't like new things. I said nothing of the sort. I said that nobody has yet posted a *good* reason to dislike S-E-X-X-Y instead of just "It doesn't sound like TMBG!" > "XTC vs. Adam Ant" and "How Can I Sing Like a Girl," two forgettable >songs, are saved by creative guitar work on the part of new addition Eric >Schermerhorn. So that's exactly four people in the world who like Eric's playing, and three of them are in They Might Be Giants. >3 Again, I still think it's too short. Funny, the best track on the >entire album is hidden. :) I still don't see how it can be too short when it's 45 minutes long. As for the "best track" line -- I might agree if it had been the Get Away version rather than the weird Percussion version. >> First Album 4 1/2 > >5 The one I listen to most I've never understood the attraction of this album...there are just far too many throwaway tracks for me to really love it. >NOOOOOOOO!!! DO NOT PLAY THE SIGNED CD!!!! >The weight of the ink on the CD itself will make the disc unbalanced. I somehow doubt this. >In truth, I have no favorite album. I think it's sort of stupid to try and >rate albums, because an album is nothing more than a collection of songs. > There is nothing specifically special about one certain album, it is the >songs contained within. Ahhh, but an album is more than the sum of it's parts. A really good album can take okay songs and make them an overall great listening experience, and a mediocre album can take great songs but keep the album as a whole from being as enjoyable. That's why I (and others) make a big deal about album "flow" and the like -- it's a big deal. That is how I rate albums, not entirely on the songs on them, but also on the enjoyment and feeling I get from listening to the album. >"Spiraling Shape", which no one >really knows what it is about. This guy didn't really think very hard about the lyrics, did he? >Yes!!! I wish Fingertips was one track. It is a nuisance when you have >your 5 They CD's all set in random! Ummm, dude, that's, like, the point. :) Josh, we're just watching it sinking /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 05:48:35 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Live in NY! Every place the 2 places I've called are both now sold out of live in NY. Mod Lang, and the place with the number : 310-379-6300 are the places I've called. If you know of any others, pleasepleaseplease mail me. thanks. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:55:23 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) >from Their songs? Or just certain colors in their head when they listen >to Them. Like I get sort of a mix of purple, yellow, and yellow green >from spirlalling shape. Or reds and bleus from 'till my head falls off. >Am I just odd, or does anyone else get these ideas? Metal Detector: Very Orange... like the wallpaper in the booklet New York city... kindof green, Metal Detector is the one that really stands out as a color. (And yes, I acctually had thought of this before you mentioned it) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:59:35 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Delicate Balance of a Compact Disc well at least one person got the joke. And yes, If it was written in green magic marker it would be totally different. As for cutting off half of a cd and trying to play it... well that's another story.... (Don't try this at home.) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:14:45 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search At 06:37 PM 11/15/96 -0500, you wrote: >For cheap (IMO) prices on TMBG albums visit www.cdnow.com I ordered factory >showroom from them for about $15! $15 doesn't sound too wonderful to me. :/ I bought mine the second it came out at a local record store on CD for $13.95, and I didn't have to pay S&H or anything... -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:35:24 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: why I am sad Remember me? I'm the one that passed on the info on the entire Sonicnet thing. and no, I don't have an autographed cd.. anyone care to know why? good! that specific Thursday, I drove my boyfriend, Richard.. and my best friend, Lorna to Tulsa for Orthos. Then they wanted to eat with their family. This was okay, since my mom said she would be home in time for us to go out and eat. This is a big deal, driving 4 hours to spend a few with my family. So I get home, and noone is there. My mom calls from the MANICURIST and says she'll be a little late. My dad is not there either, nor my brother. Soon, it's time to go, and so I go pick up my friends, who get goodbye hugs and are loaded down with care packages. We ended up leaving late, thus I missed Sonicchat, or whatever. oh..sigh. anyways, just needed to share my grief.. heather in Oklahoma ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:32:39 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Free Speech and stuff (Re:) At 08:25 PM 11/15/96 -0500, wrote: >O.k. I realize you like TMBG. But get a life. You write them way too much. > > Thank you for your concern, and I respect your opinion, but If you feel that your time is wasted by reading my posts there is a simple solution: DELETE THEM. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:35:36 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album Well, I figured that since everyone else seems to be giving their rankings of the albums, and none of them really correspond with my ideas, I'll post my own rankings...these are on a scale of 1 to 10: They Might Be Giants --8--(no other name...this is what it says on the label, this is what I say the title is) A very impressive start for an impressive band. "She's an Angel", "Number Three", "Don't Let Start"....masterpieces.... Lincoln --10-- Oh, what can you say about this album. It's amazing all the way through. Any album with Ana Ng automatically gets a good ranking, but this album is amazing all the way through. Flood --6-- I have to admit that I'm a little tired of this one. Some songs, like "Letterbox" and "Dead", are great, but I'm a little tired of seeing everyone bounce around to "Particle Man", et al. I'm not saying it's a bad song...just overdone. Misc. T --8-- Some great stuff on here--amazing at first glance, considering it's all b-sides and stuff. I have to say that the remix of "The World's Address" was made for dance clubs..."Someone in a club tonight has stolen my ideas..." Apollo 18 --7-- Again, some great stuff and some stuff I don't particularly like. "She's Actual Size" and, of course "The Guitar" are great songs (don't forget "Fingetips", either...), but some of them don't appeal to me. John Henry --10-- Without a doubt in my mind I put that 10 there. Very full sound, which works well in my mind. I also love horns, so that's another reason for my love of this album. "Dirt Bike" and "The End of the Tour" are amazing cuts among a set of amazing cuts...great great album. Factory Showroom --9-- The jury is still out on this one...haven't had it long enough to make a true comparison. I must say that "Spiralling Shape", "New York City", and "James K. Polk" are nice cuts, though...good to see some of the good stuff from soundtracks, singles, etc., finally together. As of now, I think it's pretty damn good... Oh yeah, and a few other things. "Back to Skull", while not an album (obviously), is really cool. "She Was a Hotel Detective" is a great song...especially live. Okay, long post, I know...sorry. See y'all later. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "And he sees the children smoking pot He knows that in a moment they'll be shooting up heroin Teardrops in his armchair A fifty minute lecture Tobacco juice rolling down his chin...." --Ben Folds Five, "Uncle Walter" ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG Sound for Windows Default beeb From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:29:59 EST Hey, If you want a cool alternative to the regular default beep in windows, just E-mail me and I'll send you a UU coded zip file. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:46:30 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Their heads are caving in > I said nothing of the sort. I said that nobody has yet posted a *good* > reason to dislike S-E-X-X-Y instead of just "It doesn't sound like TMBG!" > I hate to break it to you, but there's really no "trademark" They Might Be Giants sound anymore. I mean, the eponymous album (heheheh) and Flood have a distinctive sound, but They've branched out, folks. Disco ("She Was a Hotel Detective"), funk ("S.E.X.X.Y", "Pet Name"), a capella ("O Do Not Forsake Me"), latin ("No One Knows My Plan"...just listen to the drums during the bridge...), and on and on. John and John are experimenting musicians...they play everything. If you don't like a certain song because it "doesn't sound like TMBG", that's fine, because it's something new. There's probably something else they've done, some other style, that you loved. That's the point... > >3 Again, I still think it's too short. Funny, the best track on the > >entire album is hidden. :) > > I still don't see how it can be too short when it's 45 minutes long. As for > the "best track" line -- I might agree if it had been the Get Away version > rather than the weird Percussion version. > Pardon my ignorance here...what hidden track? Is this on FS? Where is it? Sorry for posting again... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: HEY BONGO! From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:29:59 EST That should of got the attention of the person I'm trying to get their attention of... whoever it was that went to the TMBG/hottie concert and answers to Bongo. Please E-mail me to as whether or not you are going to the Nov 29th show at the O'Shaughnesey. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: music From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:29:59 EST On Fri, 17 Feb 1995 12:39:30 PST stu-pid@juno.com (Stuart m Oleson) writes: >><< How come Americans have no tate in music, try listening to some >>decent British bands such as Oasis,ash and stone roses. >>> >> >> >>*Disolving into fits of uncontrollable laughter* >> >>Kay I agree with you, but not on Oasis. Where I live, all of their songs were over played and over rated. It's really made them boring. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan Copies From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:29:59 EST On Sat, 9 Nov 1996 16:09:51 -0500 (EST) That rascal Eric Webber writes: >On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > >> I don't know if anyone has thought of it before but maybe instead >> of one person copying conan that maybe someone could set up a tape >> tree for it. If there's anyone in the Minniapolis Area, I might be able to make a copy for you. (I do have one) _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:53:37 -0500 Subject: TMBG: a school tmbg story this is from one of my non-listie friends... --------------------- Forwarded message: From: fy950@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Judith C. Wang) Reply-to: fy950@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Judith C. Wang) To: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: 96-11-15 20:40:12 EST >>was missing. (insert your hysterical laughter here). It turns out John Linnell and his accomplist, John Flansburgh had been ripping off toilets all around the neighborhood. << LOL!! I always have boring dreams, I never have dreams that funky! : D Yes, I did get Misc T in the mail along with the pics - I haven't listened to it yet, but that's because I've constantly been playing MYSD over and over, because my dad appears to like that CD, and I'm really really hoping that he'll let me go to this upcoming Christmas concert - that'd be just so neat, still having seomthing great after Christmas to look forward to! : D I'll be listening to it on my headphones when I'm trying to go to sleep tongiht though, and I'll tell; you what I think. :) What CD is Sensurround on? I love that song, but I don't knwo which CD it's on. Today in English class we were writing a personification poem, and my ditzy English teacher was having us do a class one about the Sun, and we had to say, "If I was the Sun, I could....." So I raised my hand and said, "If I were the Sun, I would change hydrogen into helium at temperatures of millions of degrees!" And then I raised my hand again and said, "If I were the sun, if I were hollow, then a million earths could fit inside me, yet I would only be a middle-sized star!!" She wasn't very amuseamused, and she quit and stopped the sun poem, ach well!! : D Judy -- Judy Wang fy950@cleveland.Freenet.Edu -- "Hi, this is the repairman. Apparently if they answer the phone, they'll puke." - Kevin McDonald, KITH ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:02:07 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Schpider, Fingertips, 1st Album Hello 41- Spider- My fave performance of this came at the University of Chicago, where Flans walked around while holding the mic stand upside down going Awwww. Very cool. Fingertips- I have told this story before, but will again. In an attempt to culture my kids at camp a few years back, I was playing TMBG. This time A18. It got to fingertips, and was... well fingertipping. Then it got to Please Pass The Milk, and everybody stopped what they were doing and looked. They made me play it again, and again. Of course, guess what they were doing at breakfast. Yep. It got annoying, but cute. 1st Album- For this one, I may change to Truth or Sandwiches. I like that one. *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* The enemy is the human mind itself, or lack of it, on this planet. -General Boy Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Speaking of Bad Eyesight From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:59:05 EST I was once at an amusment park (Valley fair, home of the WiLd tHiNg (5th tallest coaster in the U.S.)) and I lost my glasses on the wave which is one of those rides where you go up 5 stories (4 for Brittan i belive) and then come down at a 45 degreee angle into a giant lake and you get totally drenched. After losing my glasses, I went on throughout the rest of the park for another 6 hours. It really wasn't that bad and I eventually got used to it. P.S. about 3 weeks later, the staff at valley fair actually found my glasses! and thier still in good condition! I'm wearing them now!. that's my schpiel so there. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: How to record DAS From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:59:05 EST On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 01:48:33 EST thatoneguy2@juno.com (Kevin M Poe) writes: >HEY!!! >I was just looking through some of the free software (the stuff that >won't sell) I got with my computer and I actually found something >really cool. It's a program called >"FaxTalk Messenger, Version 3.0, by Thought Communications, Inc.", > I don't really know why I even checked it out because I don't do >faxing. But, I did and it was really cool, it has this special >feature in it to record from the phone line. It would work very well >for anyone trying to find a way to record DAS. Just thought y'all >might like to know. You can also get phone recorders from magazines like Popular Mechainics and probably at Radio Shack too. My cordless phone has a mini-cassette conversation recorder on it. It's pretty Cool. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:59:05 EST On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:12:12 -0500 (EST) PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu writes: >ok, i play bari sax and keyboards.you DO NOT NEED TO SEE TO PLAY THESE > >INSTRUMENTS. EX: RAy Charles, Art Tatum, Bross Townshend, Herman >Foster, >and of course, Stevie Wonder. Now as for sax, you NEVER EVER need to >see >to play this instrument. you can't look at it because it is physically >impossible to play it and look at it without a mirror, besides, you >don't >BTW, Ray Charles also plays sax. I hope this clears everything up for >everyone. Linnell has been playing for quite some time and knows the >feel >of these instruments. >i don't mean to sound angry, but all of these people that don't play >these >instruments are saying things about it that they don't know. >-j I agree with you, I play a tenor. But the things is, how does John memorize all the buttons and presets on his keyboard? Does he put his face right up next to it? _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG sound for windows From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 22:09:55 EST Me again, just wanted to let you know that the file is only 23K ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:30:56 -0800 From: Josh Younger Subject: Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search At 06:37 PM 11/15/96 -0500, you wrote: >Does anyone have the sheet music to TMBG songs? I would especially like from >Flood or Fac. Showroom. Please contact me with information. > >For cheap (IMO) prices on TMBG albums visit www.cdnow.com I ordered factory >showroom from them for about $15! > >Joel Gedalius > > Actually, I believe www.cduniverse.com is cheaper, and it has more selection. :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:02:57 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Now That I Have Everything Hi >"Now I That I Have Everything"-The first song on our demo (a 23 song, >pre-Bar/None cassette from 1985 sold at early TMBG shows, now prized by >collectors). Did this strike anyone else as being weird? I have a copy of the demo tape, complete with 23 tracks, but 'Now That I Have Everything' is not one of them. As far as I know, the only tapes that song is available on is Power Of DAS and Free When You Call From Work. Am I right, or can I throw my Demo Tape into the pile of screwed up boots along with my fake Dr. Spock's Backup Band? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:34:17 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album by Bill Tatalovich@cec.wust > Well, I figured that since everyone else seems to be giving their > rankings of the albums, and none of them really correspond with my ideas, > I'll post my own rankings...these are on a scale of 1 to 10: Ok, well, here's mine, since everyone seems to be doing this (and don't anyone criticize the fact that I tried to explain the problem with the "what do you call the first album" thread and then went and posted to this. at least this discussion has substance) TMBG - 8. This is a really good album - great for a debut record. While I don't care much for Alienation's for the Rich or The Day, I listen to them knowing that Rhythm Section Want Ad will make it worth my while, and I occasionally find myself singing along with Alienation's... Lincoln - 9. Almost totally perfect. If it weren't for Piece of Dirt and Santa's Beard, I'd probably give this a 10. After having heard many versions of You'll Miss Me, including the one they played in concert in 1988 and 1989, I've come to appreciate it a lot. I never could get into Piece of Dirt or Santa's Beard, though. Flood - 7. Highly overrated by most. The first 10 tracks or so are really strong, but they're more than made up for by Hot Cha, Women & Men, and Sapphire Bullets. I usually listen to it though Whistling in the Dark and then stop because I don't love "They Might Be Giants" enough to sit through the other songs. Miscellaneous T - 6. Not really an album, and all in all, I'd say they did a good job choosing what songs would be B-sides. I think Lincoln could have used Nightgown of the Sullen Moon or It's Not My Birthday in place of Santa's Beard, though. This is the album that takes me the least time to listen to because I skip a lot of it. Apollo 18 - 8. Again, a strong beginning and a weak ending. I could live without If I Wasn't Shy and Hypnotist of Ladies. Fingertips is fun once, then it just gets annoying. But then again, it can't be rated as a full song because it's not. But Apollo 18 contains The Statue Got Me High, Mammal, The Guitar, I Palindrome I, and many others that I love to listen to over and over again. It's a good album. John Henry - 10. The best album by far. In addition to exploring different musical styles, they have again written brilliant lyrics. Look at all the discussion of The End of the Tour, which is one of my all time favorite songs. I really love the whole album, and O, Do Not Forsake Me doesn't bring enough off the final rating to lower it to a 9, since I can tolerate it. Factory Showroom - 7. I think it was rushed, really. It seems that they wanted to keep putting out albums every two years. I love Spiraling Shape, Metal Detector and New York City. I think that, in general, the songs are too long on too short an album. With only 13 songs, it seems that the album is over very quickly, even though the tracks are long, and especially in contrast to the previous two albums. I think the question here isn't whether the beginning or end is strong or weak, but the continuity of the album. I tend to skip over S-E-X-X-Y, XTC, and Pet Name. I really don't like them. There were so many other, better (IMHO), songs that could have been put on here. I certainly think that Certain People I Could Name is album quality... [flood] >I have to admit that I'm a little tired of this one. Some songs, like >"Letterbox" and "Dead", are great, but I'm a little tired of seeing >everyone bounce around to "Particle Man", et al. I'm not saying it's a >bad song...just overdone. Interesting you should mention that... I ended up playing my accordion (voluntarily, sort of - long story, not here) for a large group of people the other day, and decided I wouldn't actually plan to play anything in particular, that I would take some requests... I can play most of TMBG's major songs on it... First request? Particle Man. OK. I played this for a lot of the same people before, and didn't really want to play it again, but in an attempt to do something interesting, I played (and sang) the 30 second version, including both instrumental solos. It was very fast, and very strange, but as far as I could tell, everyone enjoyed it. The next request, of course, was Istanbul. I declined that one, mainly because it's a pretty boring song to play (there's only two chords in it), and I'd probably be able to play it just as fast... the next request was Birdhouse in Your Soul, which I did play (at normal speed).... and everyone sang along and it was fun... even though I forgot most of the chords. What did I really want to play? Subliminal, for one... the Statue Got Me High would have been another. If I do it again I think I'll scare everyone by playing something like Shoehorn with Teeth... any other suggestions for weirding people out? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:14:19 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album Don't blame me, everyone else is doing it so I'm jumping off the Empire State Building too...(I thought I'd be somewhat different and give it a rating from 1-100 rather than 1-10 [I must apologize again that I've yet to buy FS, I'll get it Saturday 8^I ) Truth or Sandwiches -- 86 -- A great start for a legendary-to-be band. She's an Angel and Absolutely Bills Mood are two of my all time fave songs. Interesting variety in sounds. There's just something about it that I can't put my finger on that keeps it from getting a higher score. First time I read the title 'Youth Culture...' I laughed out loud. Lincoln -- 99 -- Some of Their most 'catchy' tunes. It has probably grown on me more than any other album. In fact it is very close to surpassing Apollo 18. Some of the most quotable material is on this album. Flood -- 91 -- Overdone, maybe. Overrated, not in the least. I still think this is Their 3rd best to date. Birdhouse in Your Soul is a masterpiece. There is a reason why this album is played a lot. It's the album that first got me into TMBG so that counts for a lot. Apollo 18 --100-- Their greatest album. Their isn't a song on the entire album that I even slightly dislike. I only have the tape so I don't have the option of using shuffle to mix up Fingertips, but I wish I did. An ingenious idea. I'll have to buy the cd when I get FS. John Henry -- 80 -- A disappointment to me, although It has grown on me. This time last year I probably would have given somewhere between 67-72. In my art class we have to do a report on an artist. When I got the list of artists to choose from the first name I saw was James Ensor and that's all I needed. Possibly Their best "educational" song in my book. Well, that pretty much does it for me. p.s. an honorable mention to Mono Puff - Unsupervised - I'll give it a 82 for now, I just got it recently so I this will inevitably change. On Apollo 18 it says TMBG are "Musical ambassadors for International Space Year" -- "I don't want the world, I just want your half" (does anyone know where this bridge is?) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 00:42:15 -0500 (EST) From: Kilroy Subject: Re: TMBG: Now That I Have Everything >Did this strike anyone else as being weird? I have a copy of the demo tape, >complete with 23 tracks, but 'Now That I Have Everything' is not one of >them. As far as I know, the only tapes that song is available on is Power >Of DAS and Free When You Call From Work. Remember, there was an 84 demo and an 85 demo. I think he's referring to the earlier one, because on one of the boots I have John F refers to it as "The very first song on our very first demo." -Kilroy Wasn't she easy? Isn't she pretty in pink? ------------------------------ From: michael@weirdness.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 00:00:13 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's vision >I agree with you, I play a tenor. But the things is, how does John >memorize all the buttons and presets on his keyboard? Does he put his >face right up next to it? I play the Saxophone, and the piano/keyboard instruments..... And, I am also very much near-sighted like Linnell..... As a musician, I will say that it is VERY easy (once you know the instrument you are playing on well) to play even if your eyes are closed. Linnell is a talented man, and you must remember, those instruments are a major part of his life. I haven't played "popular" music as a profession, but I do play the Pipe Organ professionally. It is much like a keyboard in that you must change presets in a blink of an eye, and mostly without seeing the buttons. After you do something over and over like that...it becomes automatic. Like I said before, you could do it blind if you had to. Mike michael@weirdness.com c688345@showme.missouri.edu http://128.206.2.202/~c688345/ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Istanbul From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 01:11:51 EST Today in World History our teacher played Istanbul. It was the TMBG version, which made me mad because i've always wanted to hear the original. Still, it made some interesting conversation. And, believe it or not, NO ONE MENTIONED TINY TOONS!!! Oh, and before Constantinople, it was Byzantium , a major seat of culture in the Roman empire. +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Cool From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 01:11:51 EST What the HELL is this???!!!??? stupid t-sip GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!! +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:07:43 -0600 Alex writes: >Cool!!, > >85 RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS ON BEING A MAN >>>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>> Marissa >>>> >>>>----------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>Marissa_Lifshen@Brown.edu >>>>401-863-6266 > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 01:21:17 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: favourite fingertip I thought I'd add to the "what's your favourite part of fingertips" thread, since no one mentioned mine yet. It's "I don't understand you" A close second (& third) is "I heard a sound, I turned around, I turned around to find the thing that made the sound----MySTEEEEEErious whisper..." -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 01:36:29 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh's College I was briefing through the TMBG FAQ again and noticed that it says "After high school they moved to different states. Linnell played in the Rhode Island band, the Mundanes. While in college in Ohio, Flansburgh played in a couple of hobby bands." 1) Did Linnell go to college, if so where? 2) Which college did Flansburgh go to? 3) Could this explain why THEY have played many shows in OHIO "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-314 ******************************