Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-315 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 315 Sunday, 17 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Ana NG Re: TMBG: Ana NG TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Delicate Balance of a Compact Disc TMBG: TMBG Windows sounds Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's College Re: TMBG: Ana NG TMBG: Re: First Album TMBG: Sugar Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search TMBG: LIVE TMBG TMBG: TMBG Resource Library Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search TMBG: Re: TMBG Resource Library Re: TMBG: TMBG Sound for Windows Default beeb TMBG: A question Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search TMBG: I am not your broom TMBG: Linnell's college and misc stuff Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search Re: TMBG: Schpider, Fingertips, 1st Album Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's College TMBG: spider ananse Re: TMBG: Now That I Have Everything TMBG: I feel obliged to say something! TMBG: Live in NYC, Dr. Spocks...trade? Re: TMBG: A question Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search TMBG: [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown] TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-314 TMBG: interviewing J & J Re: TMBG: I am not your broom TMBG: hey hey! TMBG: Fac Showroom Re: TMBG: spider ananse Re: TMBG: Songs in School Re: TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) Re: TMBG: Good web sites for WAV files? TMBG: Dr. Fake-o? TMBG: ananzi TMBG: Re: Ana NG TMBG: Re: LIVE TMBG TMBG: Re: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Dr. Fake-o? TMBG: A dark horse came riding up Re: TMBG: A dark horse came riding up TMBG: factory.... TMBG: Autographed CD pics on-line TMBG: Skipping FS. Re: TMBG: Skipping FS. Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's College TMBG: exquisite Heads TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album TMBG: I am not your broom Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 02:41:25 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Ana NG I believe the line," I don't want the world, I just want your half." isn't from a bridge, but a talk that They had about money, no less. Now, where did I hear that... Twitterpated, Heather ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Ana NG From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 03:09:04 EST On Sat, 16 Nov 1996 02:41:25 +0000 Heather Tinkler writes: >I believe the line," I don't want the world, I just want your half." >isn't from a bridge, but a talk that They had about money, no less. Originally, yes it was from a conversation They once had about money, but dedicated fans have since painted it on bridges. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 03:15:02 -0500 From: MajorDomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Delicate Balance of a Compact Disc Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 06:32:38 -0600 >well at least one person got the joke. And yes, If it was written in green >magic marker it would be totally different. As for cutting off half of a >cd and trying to play it... well that's another story.... (Don't try this >at home.) >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 >"Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." > No, when you cut it in half then that breaks all laws of physics, causing the cd player to fly away and blow up once it gets out of the atmosphere.... really..... i did it once...... Or maybe it dosent detect a cd in the drive...... naah, that dosent happen.... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: TMBG Windows sounds Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 07:01:36 -0600 I meant to post this a long time ago, anyway, i have tmbg for a few of my windows (3.1) sounds (i want all to be tmbg, but cant think of them too well) Asterisk: critical stop: ditto default beep: "Why" from near the end of RSWA, ut it sounds like "nyaWhy".. want a different one Exclamation: "WAKE UP!" From DLS... wake up, smell the cat food..... Question: also the why, need a different one windows exit: AND NOW THIS SONG IS OVER NOW, THIS SONG IS OVER NOW from ERIWA, the first fast time, not the slow one at the end. (my favorite windows sound) windows start: "Hello Hello hello" from hello radio, the one area where there are words I reallt need a better default beep. If anyone wants one of these, e-mail me. I figure most people have a cheap mic. and c .wav recorder. Oh yeah, i heard maine over DAS yesterday. THAT SONG ROCKS!!!! I want a copy of state songs.... although i have nothing unreleased or special (excep that signed CD) So i dont think i can trade.... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 08:54:12 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's College Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Nov-96 TMBG: Flansburgh's College by "StatuE @ds2.ncweb.com > 1) Did Linnell go to college, if so where? Briefly. I think he was at UMass-Amherst but dropped out because he wanted to go into music... > 2) Which college did Flansburgh go to? (this is all reported from what I remember reading various interviews, articles, etc... don't quote me on it) Yes. He bounced around from school to school before getting a degree in printmaking at the Pratt Institute... However, he spent time at both Antioch (in Ohio, near Xenia) and GW, as well. (when they played at Lisner Auditorium, he mentioned the fact that he had sat in that same auditorium, trying to learn stuff... and not doing a good job of it. Then he tried to introduce Number 3 as an educational song about astronomy and stuff) > 3) Could this explain why THEY have played many shows in OHIO Perhaps. It's a very central state. If they play that much in Ohio, you'd think they'd have the time to come down to Pittsburgh... but instead I've got to drive 2 hours, after my longest day of classes (in the last week of classes) to get to Cleveland to see them.... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 08:57:03 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Ana NG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Nov-96 TMBG: Ana NG by Heather Tinkler@ou.edu > I believe the line," I don't want the world, I just want your half." > isn't from a bridge, but a talk that They had about money, no less. Yeah... I heard that, too. Ironic, though, that the section of the song that joins the first verse or two to the last one is the "bridge." (in fact, most of their songs have a similar pattern - verse, refrain, verse, refrain, bridge, verse, refrain, ending - examples are They'll Need a Crane, I Palindrome I, Ana Ng, Dinner Bell [refrain first], Sleeping in the Flowers, and Your Racist Friend [also refrain first]) I always thought it was a partial reference to that... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 14:01:57 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Re: First Album Isn't this... Personally I call the First Album Colin, the second album Bill, The third album Emma, the fourth Album Cabbage and the fifth album Dwight. I haven't got a name for the sixth album yet cause I haven't heard it yet. Also, in a bid to make the message longer than my sig file I will make the following points. My favourite part of Fingertips is the Come on, (come on) and wreck my car bit. This point has probably been made before but I'll make it anyway. If any of you guys have heard of a guy named Terry Pratchett, who's a Brittish novelist who's very funny, then you might be interested to know that he gives TMBG a veiled reference in one of his books. Prize to the first person to get it right. That's it. Stop reading now. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson Owner of the realm Derwent College of the Flumcake U of York Heslington "It's a 108 miles to Chicago. We've http://www.york. York got a full tank of gas, half a ac.uk/~dr109 YO1 5DD packet of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses Hit it" ...where we came in? _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: 16 Nov 96 10:07:05 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Sugar I decided not to give a review of all the albums. Just my thoughts on JH. When it came out, I popped it into my CD player and as soon as Subliminal started, I was dancing aroound like a fool. I probably got to AKA Driver before I had to go eat dinner. Then when I came back, instead of starting where I left off, I listened from the beginning again. Eventually I got up to No one knows my plan, but Then I just never really listened to thge rest of the CD. I finnaly sat down and listened to it during a huge homework session. By the time I got to End of the Tour, I was in love. I couldn't believe that somewhere in this mass of versitality, my 2nd favorite song (tour) laid. (My fave is Puppet Head) This was my first ever TMBG CD. I have to say that it takes a lot more skill to listen to TMBG on CD. To prevent yourself from listening to only "good songs" and skipping over "bad ones" I first recieved FS as a promo and had to give it up the next day. So the tape copy was alll I had. If I had had originally listened to it on CD, I probably would have skipped over Pet Name and Your own worst enemy. But having it on tape is good. I'm not trying to dicorauge CD buying, but I would suggest breaking your skip buttons. P.S. This was writin of a fresh batch of Cinnamon Rolls. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:10:54 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search >$15 doesn't sound too wonderful to me. :/ I bought mine the second it came >out at a local record store on CD for $13.95, and I didn't have to pay S&H >or anything... Really? Well, around me, none of the stores carry it, and on rare occasion that I come across a TMBG CD, the price is around $20. I bought "Flood" for $22, but it was worth it! Joel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 01:32:49 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: LIVE TMBG I just wanted to query if there is any law in the USA about bands actually performing live when they perform a concert. I know TMBG play completely live, but I saw Michael Jackson the other night (don't ask why) and I swear he lip synched his way throught the whole show. Just wondering... ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:31:56 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Resource Library I have a cool TMBG program that I downloaded from somewhere. It has the lyrics to six TMBG albums (Misc.-T, Flood, Apollo18, Lincoln, John Henry, They Might Be Giants) The program also has a pictures of TMBG events and album covers (in&out). A few soundbites are included, including "Hall of Heads", "Particle Man", "BIrdhouse in Your Soul", and one other I can't remember. If anyone is interested, I am willing to e-mail the ZIP file to them. The ZIP file size is 1 meg, but it is worth it in my opinion to have a nice organized collection of TMBG stuff. I have also figured out how to add sounds and pics to the program, so if you want I could let you know about that! Joel Gedalius Yoel97@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:31:54 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search In a message dated 96-11-15 22:33:12 EST, you write: << At 06:37 PM 11/15/96 -0500, you wrote: >Does anyone have the sheet music to TMBG songs? I would especially like from >Flood or Fac. Showroom. Please contact me with information. > >For cheap (IMO) prices on TMBG albums visit www.cdnow.com I ordered factory >showroom from them for about $15! > >Joel Gedalius > > <> Thanks, I will check it out! ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:29:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Resource Library In a message dated 96-11-16 11:28:19 EST, you write: << Hello 41- I read this, and it sounded neat. What format are the files in? Adam >> I send it in a zip format, so you will need PKUNZIP.EXE which you can easily pick up (If you need, I can send you a copy). The program itself is EXE. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Sound for Windows Default beeb From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:30:01 EST On Sat, 16 Nov 1996 06:46:27 -0600 wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) writes: >>Hey, If you want a cool alternative to the regular default beep in >>windows, just E-mail me and I'll send you a UU coded zip file. >> >>_________________________________________________________ >>"Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me >>E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. >>All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. >>_________________________________________________________ >> >I guess i'll take one, i need something better than what i have (i'll >post >mine on the list soon, the almost all TMBG sounds) Please Don't put them directly on the list. It'll take up tons of space and everyone will be forced to download it. Just put out a post to see if anyone wants it like I did. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:18:26 -0500 Subject: TMBG: A question Ok......I got my tickets the other day for TMBG (Atlanta), and I was wondering if any of you knew if there is an opening band, or if they will play straight through. Thanks in advance, Brad ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:18:34 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff I wrote In a message dated 96-11-15 16:54:19 EST, you write: << > Now the interesting part of that definition is "To make into an empty > formula". Now, since taste is simply a matter of opinion, and has no factual > substance that would make it "empty". > Well, since your string of logic (Well written and well presented as it is.) > would seem to create a formula of sorts It would appear that you have, by > definition portrayed a stereotype. The problem here is the word "empty". I would like to presume that what is opinion (Morals?) does not have no meaning, simply because it has little or no basis on empirical facts. But that, I guess is a completely other subject that has been being discussed for Centuries. >> Isn't it grand how logic can be used to prove both sides of a story? Anyway there is never going to be a resolution to this debate, We'll just continue in circles till our fingers fall off. You have my opinion, and I have mine. I do agree on one point however, TMBG is a great band. <<> Disclaimer- This is all OPINION. It is not intended to defame, put down, or > otherwise insult anyone. I would have to refer back to my previous post, I think it is SAD that anyone would have to put a disclaimer on the bottom of their post. Some people on this list are to sensitiv, I guess. Thanks, by the way, Raldus, for the reassurance against the flame :) Steven J. Luke>> That is sad.......Last time I voiced an opinion, several people wrote me really nasty letters saying I was a jerk (well not that word exactly, but close.) so I thought it was necessary. Ok.....so that this is not completely off topic, does anyone know whether or not TMBG has an opening band for the Atlanta show? Thanks, Brad ------------------------------ From: mja4@cornell.edu Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:52:38 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search On Sat, 16 Nov 1996 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > > >$15 doesn't sound too wonderful to me. :/ I bought mine the second it came > >out at a local record store on CD for $13.95, and I didn't have to pay S&H > >or anything... > > Really? Well, around me, none of the stores carry it, and on rare occasion > that I come across a TMBG CD, the price is around $20. I bought "Flood" for > $22, but it was worth it! > where, do you people live, i haven't paid more than $13 for a TMBG album, i bought FS for $10.95... trippy ------------------------------ Date: 16 Nov 96 14:12:56 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: I am not your broom While poking around tmbg.com I found this. It is a hilarious song and video with john L. it's well worth the download time. http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/images/broom.mov Go for it! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 14:12:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Linnell's college and misc stuff >> Me Too!!! << Um... I feel so illiterate - what does this 'AOL' mean (aside from the obvious one). I'm guessing "A_____ Out Loud..." >> I think my other favorite is "Please pass the milk please" because I think of it every time I say "pleas pass the milk" and my dad, if he's in a good mood, sometimes sings it when I ask for the milk. << Yup. :) In fact, the other day I said Please pass the salt", and my mom improvised a "please pass the salt please...please pass the salt please.." >>Making a point is one thing, but just stating a belief,<< "People should get beat up, for statin' their beliefs.." >>1) Did Linnell go to college, if so where?<< From one of the interviews I have (sorry, I forgot which one), he went to Massachusettes University "As immortalized in the Pixies song 'U-Mass' " which, is a cool song, btw. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:17:03 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search mja4@cornell.edu wrote: > > On Sat, 16 Nov 1996 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > > > > > >$15 doesn't sound too wonderful to me. :/ I bought mine the second it came > > >out at a local record store on CD for $13.95, and I didn't have to pay S&H > > >or anything... > > > > Really? Well, around me, none of the stores carry it, and on rare occasion > > that I come across a TMBG CD, the price is around $20. I bought "Flood" for > > $22, but it was worth it! > > > where, do you people live, i haven't paid more than $13 for a TMBG album, > i bought FS for $10.95... > Not meaning to start a stupid thread but most TMBG albums I've seen have been around 15-17 dollars for CD & 11-13 for cassette. (This is in the greater Sacramento area) -- "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." -- TMBG "Stand on Your Own Head" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:06:46 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: Schpider, Fingertips, 1st Album NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Fingertips- I have told this story before, but will again. In an attempt to > culture my kids at camp a few years back, I was playing TMBG. This time A18. > It got to fingertips, and was... well fingertipping. Then it got to Please > Pass The Milk, and everybody stopped what they were doing and looked. They > made me play it again, and again. Of course, guess what they were doing at > breakfast. Yep. It got annoying, but cute. Seriously? I swear my little brother said this exact same thing happened at his summer camp a while back! I don't know. The counselor involved obtained the nickname "milkman" from the kids afterwards, if I remember the story right. Either this is a very strange coincedence, or we're thinking of the same summer camp. Strange. Very strange. -- "Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do." -They Might Be Giants Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:14:25 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's College On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, StatuE (Wayde) wrote: > I was briefing through the TMBG FAQ again and noticed that it says > > "After high school they moved to different states. Linnell played in the > Rhode Island band, the Mundanes. While in college in Ohio, Flansburgh played > in a couple of hobby bands." > > 1) Did Linnell go to college, if so where? Yes, but I don't know. I think he went to George Washington in DC. > 2) Which college did Flansburgh go to? Antioch College, and NYU, I think. I'm sure of the first one. > 3) Could this explain why THEY have played many shows in OHIO Yep...and it probably explains the Xenia reference in "Kitten's out of Jail" S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:15:20 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: TMBG: spider ananse In my Global Studies class, me and my partner are doing a presentation of an African Folktale about Ananse the spider, and that got me thinking. I think spider is quite pssobly about ananse, spider of african myth. The song sounds sort of African rythm-based, and the character ananse is a hero, but very annoying, and many people would want to "get--rid--of" him. Possible connection? And we're also thinking about using Spider as backround music for our presentation. Hmmmmmm..... -- "So maybe I could be a fly And feed arachnid as I die"-Phish Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:16:27 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Now That I Have Everything On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Kilroy wrote: > >Did this strike anyone else as being weird? I have a copy of the demo tape, > >complete with 23 tracks, but 'Now That I Have Everything' is not one of > >them. As far as I know, the only tapes that song is available on is Power > >Of DAS and Free When You Call From Work. > Remember, there was an 84 demo and an 85 demo. I think he's referring to the earlier one, because on one of the boots I have John F refers to it as "The very first song on our very first demo." uh-huh...the '84 demo is very tough to find. I only know of three people who have a copy. I had a copy, but my tape player ate it. I'll get another, tho. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:53:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I feel obliged to say something! As we all well know, due to the controversy over my purchase of Factory Showroom, it cost me about $15. Today I received it, and I felt obliged to say the following!: "IT WAS WELL WORTH IT" It is great, however one of the things that I liked about TMBG was their ability to have the own topics of writing and style. Now with S-E-X-X-Y, I feel that they broke through the barrier to the other side. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it isn't TMBG's style to write such songs! "I Can Hear You" is a very creative song, oriqinal and Unique! Joel Gedalius ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:55:06 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Live in NYC, Dr. Spocks...trade? Ok, this might not be appropriate for the list, and I apologize in advance, but I have a the Live in NYC CD still in plastic shrink wrap which I am willing to trade for a Dr. Spock's Backup Band CD...I also have some other bootleg tapes a possible trader may be interested in... Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this Josh josh@fyi.net -- I am very pissed that I don't think I won a prize on sonicnet cause I was d/l'ing AOL so I could talk to Linnell later that night :| The d/l delayed the email :( ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:11:51 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: A question << Ok......I got my tickets the other day for TMBG (Atlanta), and I was wondering if any of you knew if there is an opening band, or if they will play straight through. >> I was told by the folks at the Roxy that Cub will be the opening act. I'm ususally not too keen on opening acts, but I'm looking forward to that one! See you there! Kay ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Sheet Music Search Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:13:41 -0500 (EST) > > where, do you people live, i haven't paid more than $13 for a TMBG album, > > i bought FS for $10.95... > > > > Not meaning to start a stupid thread but most TMBG albums I've seen have > been around 15-17 dollars for CD & 11-13 for cassette. (This is in the > greater Sacramento area) CD prices can vary greatly in different areas. Most new CDs are around 15-16 unless they are on sale and then it's usually 12-14. Tapes are around 10 (but who the hell wants to buy a new tape, tape prices are way way overpriced). I've seen quite a few used albums for $7-10. Used tapes are usually $3. New singles are generally $6-7 and the used CD singles I've seen are generally $3. Seen a few of those Istanbul singles for $3, but I think I got mine new. Non-TMBG: The Ocean Blue are playing this evening at the 9:30 club in DC, anyone going or want to go? "This is the city of a busy man It's New York, New York There's millions of people and it's dog eat dog Can you taste the smog? You've got to rush here and you've got to rush there Don't ask me why It's the city of dreams, it's the right kind of place For a busy man" -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:25:37 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown] This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------A4C14B32552 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Oops... --------------A4C14B32552 Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Received: from denmark.it.earthlink.net (denmark-c.it.earthlink.net [204.119.177.22]) by latvia.it.earthlink.net (8.7.5/8.7.3) with ESMTP id NAA18357 for ; Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:22:53 -0800 (PST) Received: from localhost (localhost) by denmark.it.earthlink.net (8.7.5/8.7.3) with internal id NAA02383; Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:22:54 -0800 (PST) Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:22:54 -0800 (PST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: User unknown Message-Id: <199611162122.NAA02383@denmark.it.earthlink.net> To: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status; boundary="NAA02383.848179374/denmark.it.earthlink.net" Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) X-UIDL: 6856c3f654cc4635a00b0e1fb1f749fd X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 This is a MIME-encapsulated message --NAA02383.848179374/denmark.it.earthlink.net The original message was received at Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:22:45 -0800 (PST) from max2-vgd-ca-20.earthlink.net [206.149.207.71] ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications ----- (unrecoverable error) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to ussodyssey.ufp.org.: >>> RCPT To: <<< 550 ... User unknown 550 ... User unknown --NAA02383.848179374/denmark.it.earthlink.net Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; denmark.it.earthlink.net Received-From-MTA: DNS; max2-vgd-ca-20.earthlink.net Arrival-Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:22:45 -0800 (PST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; tmbg.digest@tmbg.org Action: failed Status: 5.2.0 Remote-MTA: DNS; ussodyssey.ufp.org Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 ... User unknown Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:22:54 -0800 (PST) --NAA02383.848179374/denmark.it.earthlink.net Content-Type: message/rfc822 Return-Path: herne@earthlink.net Received: from Ken (max2-vgd-ca-20.earthlink.net [206.149.207.71]) by denmark.it.earthlink.net (8.7.5/8.7.3) with SMTP id NAA02379 for ; Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:22:45 -0800 (PST) Message-ID: <328E30F6.A10@earthlink.net> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:24:06 -0800 From: Herne X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win95; U) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg.digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Misc. threads both New and Old Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Well I saw them the other night and they were GREAT!!!! The stage was devoid of props and scantilly clad women unlike the last tour. Althought they didn't play as much of the older obscure material they did play La Grange, Tush and Heard it on the X.... Okay I confess I'm reviewing a ZZ Top show. Yes the man who once chided Mr. Mootrey re:Gordon Lightfoot spent last monday night with a bunch of sh**kickers listening to redneck R&B at the Universal Ampitheater. guess I'm too eclectic for my own good. The first segment of my November L.A. concert tour. the other two shows being Suzanne Vega Nov. 20th at the El Rey and if things work out TMBG Nov. 22nd at the El rey. Incidentally, they just added a Saturday night (Nov. 23rd) show at the Palace w/ Frank Black. Anyway...Sorry ICE Part 2 got posted twice. My original SEND disappeared into a void only to reappear the same time as I forwarded again. How typical. Fingertips Favorites: Well my favorites musically are the "Something's grabbed a hold of my hand..." and "I don't understand you..." segments. On the more comedic side I've always been amused by "Please pass the milk" When I first got Apollo 18 and we put it my roomate's CD shuffler along with Joy Division, REM and god knows what else...We suddenly heard "Please pass the milk please..." We looked at each other laughed and said..."What the f*** was that?". FINGERTIPS LIVE?: Has anyone out there seen them perform any of Fingertips in concert? I saw them do "I'm having a heart attack" at the Fairfax High show on the Apollo 18 tour. Anybody else? Sad songs by TMBG:I can't ever think of a song by they that left me depressed in any way. Even the songs which evoke some sort of melancholy or bitterness like Road Movie to Berlin, end of the tour or Narrow Your Eyes don't put me into a sad state. It could be the bouncy or lively musical arrangements they always have. When I think of TMBG music I always think of the funny stuff, their overall wit and catchy lyrics and music. Never do I feel SAD. Perhaps my only favorite band who's songs don't contribute to any depressive states I may be in. My other favorite bands have plenty of candidates for that...XTC for example...or for anger Elvis Costello (Every time I phone you, I just wanna put you DOWN" I think the only sadness created for me is when I reach the end of the TMBG digest...with the exception of the day the List was subscribed to itself. Now THAT was annoying. HYPNOTIST OF LADIES: Often maligned here but I think it's just hilarious. "You won't remember why you like him..." Classic stuff. And last but not least... RE:Nicole the Wonder Nerd expressing surprise about a theremin being used in a rock song: Umm...people I know many of you are young but I'm sure you've heard the Beach Boys "good Vibrations." If not...Get the to a record store and buy Pet Sounds...actually wait a month or so as they are doing a whole reissue and box set of it. I'm not sure when it comes out. If not the song is on many greatest hits CD's. I think that's everything, Herne p.s.---notches on CD's usually mean that they are promo copies or as someone else posted...cutouts. They put notches on so that unscrupulous record dealers don't return free promo CD's for cash. --NAA02383.848179374/denmark.it.earthlink.net-- --------------A4C14B32552-- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 14:39:57 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-314 > > Question: Why is it, when ever anybody disagrees, dissents, or > discuses anything here they have to worry about getting flamd, or having > their discussion referd to as flaming and fighting? > > Steven J. Luke This has been a recent thing, and it's rather sad, I think. I was reading through today's digest and I was amazed how many people apologized simply for posting! That's pretty much what it's come to here, which is too bad. I remember when this list was (GASP!) fun. Anybody else remember some of the REALLY old threads involving trays, list marriages, lactose intolerance, etc? Those could never happen here anymore. > > They might be releasing 2 shorter albums with only one year between them > >instead of one longer one because They might want to finish Their Elektra 8 > >album deal sooner. > > Good. Elektra is *not* good for the Giants and They really should get out of > there ASAP. Look at XTC if you want to see what having a sucky record > company can do to you. (IMHO, XTC and TMBG should both sign to Ryko where > they can live out their record recording days in bliss... :) Yes! When I first heard about this new-album-really-soon, breaking-the-two-year-pattern thing, that was my first thought, that they must be trying to run through the rest of this Elektra deal ASAP. As far as I'm concerned, they're really getting screwed over by Elektra (grumble grumble grumble). Ever since the whole Superfueled Freaksicle thing, I've felt very uneasy about Elektra... > >Yes!!! I wish Fingertips was one track. It is a nuisance when you have > >your 5 They CD's all set in random! > > Ummm, dude, that's, like, the point. :) Hey, speaking of which...I have a CD that does really weird things on random...Cub's _Box of Hair_ CD has twelve regular tracks, and then tracks 13 through 69 are one continuous loop of the sound of a rocking chair squeaking (I think they're all about 20 seconds long...I dunno, but somehow they got it so that this CD is exactly 69 minutes long and has 69 tracks... hmmmm. :) Anyway, when I put the CD on shuffle, it's mostly squeaky chair with a song thrown in every now and then. :) > "I don't want the world, I just want your half" > > (does anyone know where this bridge is?) > I think I read somewhere (in an old info club newsletter, perhaps?) that that line actually came from a conversation J & J had about money and not from any bridge. However, apparently this line has mysteriously appeared on various bridges across the country since then (I think They said they saw one outside of Denver and "took it as a friendly compliment"). :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: interviewing J & J Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:09:45 -0500 (EST) To the guy who is interviewing TMBG for their newspaper, can you ask them if they will do a National Public Radio All Things Considered radio show like they've done for A18 and Flans did for Monopuff? And if so, when it will happen and if fans can go see this? Thanks Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:41:23 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: I am not your broom THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the posting a Broom alert. does anyone know when/why etc that this clip was made? and hey it features the "very serious-looking glasses." -- jen. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:05:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: hey hey! i know someone mentioned john linnell said there will be a new album in the summer on the sonicnet chat i think,but,and please excuse me if someone already posted this,but he said this on the spinonline chat---- "the next release will be the collection of early material called "then-the early years", followed by our next album which will probably be out by next summer" yippy!!!! fav. fingertip------- its funny,cause a month ago,i was thinking of a new trend to start on the list,and was gonna ask this. well,anyway,mine is..... "all alone all alone,all by myself" or "the day that love....came to plaaaaay" also "i walk along darkened corrideors" is really creepy. actually,most of them are pretty disturbing,which is why i love it! ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:37:36 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Fac Showroom Does anyone have the lyrics to Factory Showroom because the CD doesn't come with them? I would greatly appreciate it. Once again I am going to ask that if anyone lives in the New York City/Long Island area that they might be able to tell me what radio stations do play TMBG! Thank you, Joel Gedalius "It was the best night of my life"--TMBG "New York City" ------------------------------ Date: 16 Nov 96 19:36:20 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: TMBG: spider ananse --- Jonah wrote: In my Global Studies class, me and my partner are doing a presentation of an African Folktale about Ananse the spider, and that got me thinking. I think spider is quite pssobly about ananse, spider of african myth. The song sounds sort of African rythm-based, and the character ananse is a hero, but very annoying, and many people would want to "get--rid--of" him. Possible connection? And we're also thinking about using Spider as backround music for our presentation. Hmmmmmm..... --- end of quoted material --- Well, having heard of about 5 different ananse (or ananzi depending on the time period) It is quite possible that this is true. It also might just be a goofy little song with a bunch of blurted phrases. There is no way to tell. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:46:06 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs in School > My younger brother played Why Does The Sun Shine for science project > one day (in grade school). He got an A+. The teacher was a They Fan! I'm hoping that one day in art I can give a report on James Ensor.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:41:07 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) > Metal Detector: Very Orange... like the wallpaper in the booklet Really? I think more of sort of a sand color. Except for the pile of falderal. I always picture that to be rather purple. I guess different people get different colors out of the songs. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:50:19 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Good web sites for WAV files? KvnX]Pk,ENR Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 20:26:02 -0500 (EST) From: Scott Rodas Subject: TMBG: Dr. Fake-o? What's the difference between a righteous Dr. Spock's Back-up Band and a fake or "counterfeit" one? Just wondering... Scott (skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: ananzi Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 20:45:54 -0500 (EST) > > --- Jonah wrote: > > In my Global Studies class, me and my partner are doing a presentation > > of an African Folktale about Ananse the spider, and that got me > > thinking. I think spider is quite pssobly about ananse, spider of > > african myth. The song sounds sort of African rythm-based, and the > > character ananse is a hero, but very annoying, and many people would > > want to "get--rid--of" him. Possible connection? And we're also > > thinking about using Spider as backround music for our presentation. > > Hmmmmmm..... > > --- end of quoted material --- > > Well, having heard of about 5 different ananse (or ananzi depending on the time > > period) It is quite possible that this is true. It also might just be a goofy > > little song with a bunch of blurted phrases. There is no way to tell. > Is this where the band, Skunk Ananzi got their name from? > Matt (who doesn't like that band very much) > > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James > polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > "Cracking toast, Gromit!" > New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 06:49:44 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Ana NG Heather Tinkler wrote: > > I believe the line," I don't want the world, I just want your half." > isn't from a bridge, but a talk that They had about money, no less. > > Now, where did I hear that... > I believe in was in A J&J answer your questions a few years back, the one were Linnell tells his anagrams and Flans talks abut TMB Frank. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 07:01:39 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: LIVE TMBG Peter Young wrote: > > I just wanted to query if there is any law in the USA about bands actually > performing live when they perform a concert. I know TMBG play completely > live, but I saw Michael Jackson the other night (don't ask why) err why? >and I swear > he lip synched his way throught the whole show. Just wondering... I think you can lip synch live, I think its stupid though, considering the fact that people pay good money to see you and all you do is stand on stage and move your mouth, ah well. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 21:15:41 -0800 From: "Paul W. Wenzel" Subject: TMBG: Re: Apollo 18 The question about fingertips. It is one of the more clever things they've done, The best Would have to be either "I heard a sound.." or "Please pass the milk" WORST: "I can't understand you" THAT's ALL ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 22:39:04 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Fake-o? At 20:26 11/16/96 -0500, Scott Rodas wrote: >What's the difference between a righteous Dr. Spock's Back-up Band and >a fake or "counterfeit" one? The difference lies in the first few tracks. The fake Dr. Spock's starts with "Siftin'", "Particle Man" and "Your Racist Friend". Then, just before the next song ("The Statue Got Me High") starts, you can hear the levels drop out and fade back in really fast. These first three tracks have been spliced onto the fake Dr. Spock's from a 1992 Chicago concert. The real Dr. Spock's Backup Band starts with "The Extended Spider Intro", "I Palindrome I", "Twisting", "Particle Man" and "The Guitar". From that point on, both the fake and real Dr. Spock's are the same. Hope this helps. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 23:07:40 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: A dark horse came riding up >The first song on our demo (a 23 song, >pre-Bar/None cassette from 1985 sold at early TMBG shows, now prized by >collectors). I assume this must be the "early demo" that BlueDawg, Phil, and Myke have all mentioned, and which supposedly caused such a "stir" two years ago when everybody and his brother wanted a copy...hmmm. Dawg, can you fill us in here? >I also see it as being completely relevant, you just have to >realize that the discussion we were having is about the Debut Album, >saying it is not relevant is a mistake. Two reasons why it's not relevant: First, those of us who have been here for a while have seen this discussion many, many times before. And second, it always turns out the same way; a lot of wasted bandwidth and no decision. >please don't post these things to the list. I think this list should be moderated. Now, wait, before you all attack me, I am on a moderated digest list, and the only thing the moderator does is prevent blatant spams, several copies of the same e-mail, and other such things from getting on the list. It provides a far better S:N ratio than you have with an unmoderated one, like this list. I'm not going to post my opinions on TMBG's albums here, because they're damn long. Anyone who wants to read my reviews/commentaries/position papers on the albums, e-mail me and I'll fwd them to you. >I agree with you, I play a tenor. But the things is, how does John >memorize all the buttons and presets on his keyboard? The same way people learn to touch-type without looking at the keys. >I tend to skip over S-E-X-X-Y, XTC, and Pet Name. I really don't like them. I still think it's interesting that the three songs that are least TMBG-ish on this album are also the three most maligned. Those who think Pet Name is a really cool song, raise your hands (and freak flags) high! Josh, rotating in his display case /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 23:22:25 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: A dark horse came riding up On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >The first song on our demo (a 23 song, > >pre-Bar/None cassette from 1985 sold at early TMBG shows, now prized by > >collectors). > > I assume this must be the "early demo" that BlueDawg, Phil, and Myke have > all mentioned, and which supposedly caused such a "stir" two years ago when > everybody and his brother wanted a copy...hmmm. Dawg, can you fill us in here? No, I think that's the 1985 demo tape...the one that was re-released by Hello. The '84 demo tape is only like 13 songs....and really, really cheesy. > I think this list should be moderated. Now, wait, before you all attack me, > I am on a moderated digest list, and the only thing the moderator does is > prevent blatant spams, several copies of the same e-mail, and other such > things from getting on the list. It provides a far better S:N ratio than you > have with an unmoderated one, like this list. NO! We DO NOT want a moderated list. If you don't want to read all of the crap, read it via news.tmbg.org. > >I tend to skip over S-E-X-X-Y, XTC, and Pet Name. I really don't like them. > > I still think it's interesting that the three songs that are least TMBG-ish > on this album are also the three most maligned. Those who think Pet Name is > a really cool song, raise your hands (and freak flags) high! I skip: SEXXY XTC Pet Name Exquisite Dead Guy How Can I Sing Like a Girl S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 23:33:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Mike Lebovitz Subject: TMBG: factory.... Maybe I'm a psyco here or something, but don't skip any of songs on FS. I think it's Their best since Lincoln. but, then again, i might be crazy. -lebo ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 23:37:28 -0500 (EST) From: John Murray Subject: TMBG: Autographed CD pics on-line I have scaned the sigantures of the autographed cd I won on the sonicnet chat and I have put them on-line. The pics are at: http://acm.vt.edu/~jmurray/tmbg/ Right now there are only jpeg format images on-line if you really need an other format you can e-mail me. I don't see too much need as most modern Web browsers support them(ie. Netscape 2+). Enjoy, John ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Skipping FS. From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 00:07:33 EST When listening to FS I skip these songs: S~E~X~X~Y Till My Head Falls Off How Can I Sing Like a Girl Metal Detector New York City XTC VS. Adam Ant That's it. That leaves me with 7 tracks after you discount TBTB as it is all too much effort to get it to play. The fact of the matter is, there are 5 listenable, previously unavailable tracks and one of those five, is completely unoriginal (Pet Name, in that Steely Dan already wrote the song 15 times before) and one is just a bunch of lines that other people have already said (I Can Hear You). That leaves me with 3 decently original tracks. 3 tracks for 13 dollars, I'm so glad I'm broke for a reason. Fact is, I just listen to Cibo Matto all the time, I won't be listening to FS again for months... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Skipping FS. Date: Sun, 17 Nov 96 0:19:02 18000 > When listening to FS I skip these songs: > > S~E~X~X~Y > Till My Head Falls Off > How Can I Sing Like a Girl > Metal Detector > New York City > XTC VS. Adam Ant > > That's it. That leaves me with 7 tracks after you discount TBTB > as it is all too much effort to get it to play. The fact of the matter > is, there are 5 listenable, previously unavailable tracks and one of Actually, that's the opinion of the matter.Everyone has their own preference. > those five, is completely unoriginal (Pet Name, in that Steely Dan > already wrote the song 15 times before) and one is just a bunch of lines > that other people have already said (I Can Hear You). That leaves me > with 3 decently original tracks. 3 tracks for 13 dollars, I'm so glad > I'm broke for a reason. Fact is, I just listen to Cibo Matto all the > time, I won't be listening to FS again for months... -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 21:43:21 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's College Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Yes. He bounced around from school to school before getting a degree in > printmaking at the Pratt Institute... My dad graduated from Pratt with a degree in Chemical Engineering. That was around the time Flans was born. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 21:48:28 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: exquisite Heads I was at the Moscow concert, and when they sang Exquisite dead guy, the got these tiny heads mounted on sticks on the stage. They turned out all the lights, so you could only see the heads. Then while they sang, they pulled strings making the mouths of the heads move. It was hillarious. I had to leave at 11:30. What did they play after Until My Head Falls Off? I kept telling them to play Nothiung's Gonna Change My Clothes, but I sorta knew they wouldn't listen. *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 21:51:07 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG-best album Paul W. Wenzel wrote: > > TMBG, in my opinion, will never make a bad album. However, some albums > are just more good than others > RATINGS (OUT OF 10): > TMBG 10 > This album started it all off for the TMBG we know today. Don't > Let's Start is still a work of genius, and so is She's an Angel. Although > I don't like the songs The Day, Alienation's for the rich, or Absolutly > Bill's Mood, the good far outweighs the bad. > LINCOLN 10 > This is THE BEST TMBG album. It starts off strong with Ana Ng, > and finishes strong with Kiss ME, Son of God. In my opinion, there is not > one bad song on this CD. > FLOOD 10 > The most known TMBG album, although not the best. This is the one > my friend got me hooked on. Particle Man, Istanbul, Women and Men, and > They Might Be Giants are just some of the great songs. The bad: Your > Racist Friend, Sapphire Bullets of Love. > APPOLO 18 8 > Sorry But this album doesn't appeal to me. With the exception of > Narrow Your Eyes, Mammal, See the Constellation, Dig my Grave, Turn > Around, and Fingertips, I just find my self fastfowarding through the > rest. > JOHN HENRY 10 > A new mark for the band. Finally had some harder stuff, (Sleeping > in the Flowers, and Subliminal) But they also kept there wits about them. > I really don't like James Ensor, and Spy (Just the ending) > FACTORY SHOWROOM 10 > A work of art. There jumping onto mainstreamity. They made longer > songs, and had less songs, which worked beautiffuly. Until my HEad falls > off is awesome, XTC, and James K. Polk suck. > MISECLLANEOUS-T 9 > All in all a good CD. It does have the bad songs though (#13, > Lady is a Tramp, Birds Fly, World's Adress) But it also has the good > stuff (NIghtgown on the Sullen Moon, It's not my b-day, Hey Mr. D.J.)Too > many bad songs for a 10, but to little for Apollo 18 status. > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------"Drug trip, it's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted" > - Nightgown on the sullen moon > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- TMBG - 8 Lincoln - 9 Flood - 6 MiscT - 8 Apollo 18 - 10 John Henry - 9 Factory Showroom - 10 *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 01:52:57 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I am not your broom I am not your broom. I just found it today, while i was supposed to be doing a report on Cezanne for my Art class. It is great, well worth the download time (1.5 megs). Are there going to be more little song/movies like this? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-315 ******************************