Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-316 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 316 Monday, 18 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: factory.... TMBG: YEA! I GOT A SINGLE! TMBG: Why Polk? TMBG: My Stupid Interp Re: TMBG: Why Polk? Re: TMBG: Why Polk? TMBG: Re: Skipping FS Re: TMBG: Why Polk? Re: TMBG: YEA! I GOT A SINGLE! Re: TMBG: Re: Skipping FS TMBG: Meet Tom Servo TMBG: TMBG on MTV ? Re: TMBG: How to record DAS Re: TMBG: [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown] Re: TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) Re: TMBG: Meet Tom Servo Re: TMBG: Why Polk? Re: TMBG: factory.... TMBG: Concert Dates? TMBG: you gave me a pet name, this is which to say I LIKE IT! TMBG: Color Associations TMBG: Re: factory + OAT Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue Re: TMBG: spider ananse Re: TMBG: Re: Skipping FS TMBG: Colors + Cool Program TMBG: XTC vs Adam Ant : Factory Showroom TMBG: Pink vs Blue / Color Associations TMBG: SLC concert - a little late TMBG: album ratings and happy thoughts (long) TMBG: Fingertips live TMBG: concert dates from rolling stone mag. Re: TMBG: concert dates from rolling stone mag. TMBG: Vinyl and Skips Re: TMBG: Color Associations TMBG: THEY's Current Tour Re: TMBG: YEA! I GOT A SINGLE! Re: TMBG: Color Associations Re: TMBG: Whirlpool Re: TMBG: Meet Tom Servo TMBG: glockenspiel/I can Hear you TMBG: XTC vs Adam Ant : Factory Showroom TMBG: That program that animates songs. TMBG: Skipping TMBG: My problems... TMBG: Finally Played Factory Showroom Re: TMBG: A dark horse came riding up TMBG: S E X X WHY IS IT SO BAD? TMBG: FS Re: TMBG: Re: Skipping FS Re: TMBG: My problems... Re: TMBG: Finally Played Factory Showroom TMBG: shirt reactions TMBG: Elektra and other ramblings.... TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y RE: TMBG: My problems... Re: TMBG: Vinyl and Skips Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y TMBG: Re: My problems, shirts, and a ? TMBG: Album ratings TMBG:Finally Played Factory Showroom pt.2 TMBG: Re: S:N ratio TMBG: RE: TMBG at the El Rey on FRI, Nov. 22nd Re: TMBG: THEY's Current Tour TMBG: Flans College Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 01:01:17 -0800 From: Dave Gooch Subject: Re: TMBG: factory.... Mike Lebovitz wrote: > > Maybe I'm a psyco here or something, but don't skip any of songs on FS. I > think it's Their best since Lincoln. but, then again, i might be crazy. > > -lebo I just bought FS today. I think its a great album and I don't skip over any songs either, but I can't compare it to any other albums yet. -- "Sure, I could've stayed in the past...could've even been king. But in my own way, I am king. Hail to the King baby." -- Ash, Army of Darkness ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: YEA! I GOT A SINGLE! Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 06:09:57 -0600 Well, i was loitering at best buy with my friends (well, i had no intention of buyin) looking at all the big screen tv (sen)surround sound demonstrations watching Jedi and playing around with the computers and staring at the big 9-tv n64 hook up, when i decided to check the music. And to my amasement, they had like 5 rows of they (placed vertically, about 5 cds in a row) and they had like 8 floods, 3 misc ts, 5 FS 6 lincoln, 4 "KILLER VACCUM/SLIDING PIRATE HEAD" (aka pink, big blue dog, self titled)... and after glancing, i got this weird feeling that there was something cool hiding behing the next artists spereator, sonething cool..... i swerve down, and grab it as if it was going to move and i was honling Why Does The Sun Shine? I hit myself over and over again for buying an orange julius, now not having enough money. My friend just reaches in his pocket and pulls out 6 bucks.... WE Bought it, cherishing it out to the car, and i forget that my cd player ran out of batteries and try to stay sane the whole way home. Wow! I thought i wouldn't like it much in the car, but i get home and i love every track! WDTSS? Is rocking, and would of helped me on a 6th grade science test. Jessica: I love this one, i realize they didn't write it, but it just sounds really cool! Whirlpool: Another good one, although it could use more than one line repeated Spy: COOL! This versoin is a lot better! And i love the "SPY SPY SPY ........ " -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:35:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Why Polk? Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why the Johns chose James Polk, one of the least popular of our presidents to be the theme of their song? Just a thought! Joel Gedalius ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: My Stupid Interp Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:41:32 -0600 This just popped in my head a while ago, i wish it hadn't, i dont like it: Dont lets start is about drugs: abbrv. DLS - scrambled LSD: "DON'T lets START" Stupid, right?! Oh yeah, and whirlpool could be about a tornado... a tornado looks like a whirlpool, in the wind........ flying..... i had to post this, or it would stay in my head forever, making me become very suicidal and deciding to nuke the world... -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:46:16 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Polk? << << Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why the Johns chose James Polk, one of the least popular of our presidents to be the theme of their song? Just a thought! >> From the interview with Linnell for Music and Computers: "I'd call James K. Polk pretty obscure. I mean, yes, he was the president, but I didn't know anything about him when we wrote the song. My friend Matt and I came up with the song idea, based on these educational songs that are in the back of people's minds. Maybe not people of the younger generation, but certainly people in their 30s and older remember songs like "The Battle of New Orleans." The thing about those songs is that they're kind of inane. They're not entirely accurate historically, but they do make you remember stuff you never would otherwise. So we were musing on that fact, thinking about really obscure people. We thought, let's pick a president wwho was unimportant, you know, like a caretaker president, and write a song that elevates him to a higher status. The thing about James K. Polk is, we found out that he was actually extremely imporant. He presided over the last really big expansion of the West. He began the war with Mexico that ended in California, New Mexico, and Arizona being ceded to the U.S., and he also bought the Oregon Territories, which is now Oregon and Washington." There ya go! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:45:43 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Polk? On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why the Johns chose James Polk, one > of the least popular of our presidents to be the theme of their song? Just a > thought! I think this is amply explained in the lyrics! I guess They felt that precious few had morned his passing. But no, really. What made Them write a song about James Ensor (or for that matter, Mr. Horrible)? Something just struck Them as being good material for a song. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:48:13 -0800 From: "Paul W. Wenzel" Subject: TMBG: Re: Skipping FS The only songs I skip on FS are: XTC vs. Adam Ant James K. Polk The Bells are Ringing S-E-X-X-Y is a GOOD song, I don't care what anybody says. Pet NAme is too. THat's All. ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Polk? Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:56:15 -0600 (CST) > Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why the Johns chose James Polk, one > of the least popular of our presidents to be the theme of their song? Just a > thought! I thought I read somewhere that They picked James K. Polk just because he was a really good president (ie: Accomplishing everything he wanted to do in one term, and thus never seeking a second term) who nobody really notices when they look back into history... Just kind of an honorary song about an oft-overlooked president. In the song itself (don't have the lyrics in front of me, so this is paraphrased) "Though he was so great, few have mourned the passing of this great person." Wow. HIGHLY paraphrased. Ah, well. Later, all. May the force be with you. Justification: / "Your mother ate my dog!" "Well, not ALL of it..." - From TOLEDO / the movie Dead Alive (also called "Braindead") ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ *'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:58:35 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: YEA! I GOT A SINGLE! At 06:09 AM 11/17/96 -0600, you wrote: > Wow! I thought i wouldn't like it much in the car, but i >get home and i love every track! WDTSS? Is rocking, and would of helped me >on a 6th grade science test. Jessica: I love this one, i realize they didn't It's helped me earn some brownie points in Geology... We were talking about cycles of the Earth and ice ages, and the professor asked, "Does anyone know how far away the Sun is from the Earth?" I replied, "Over 93 million miles away...and that's why it looks so small." I think I'm the only TMBG fan in that class... :> >write it, but it just sounds really cool! Whirlpool: Another good one, Jessica's great, especially with the accordian sounds... That's one they should do in concerts... Whirlpool's a pretty nice song too, although I generally skip it to get to Spy. :> >although it could use more than one line repeated Spy: COOL! This versoin is >a lot better! And i love the "SPY SPY SPY >........ " I bought the WDTSS EP before I got John Henry, and I was pretty disappointed when I heard JH's version. I do like the improv at the end of JH better, though... -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:02:32 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Skipping FS In a message dated 96-11-17 11:54:05 EST, you write: << The only songs I skip on FS are: XTC vs. Adam Ant James K. Polk The Bells are Ringing S-E-X-X-Y is a GOOD song, I don't care what anybody says. Pet NAme is too. THat's All. >> "XTC vs. Adam Ant" I am not too fond of, but James K. Polk has a nice beat and The Bells are Ringing has a nice melody. That's my 2 cents! Joel Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Meet Tom Servo Date: Sun, 17 Nov 96 13:12:59 18000 Okay read if you like MST3K or if you just feel like it. Okay, this is just a little alternate lyrics deal along the lines of that one I saw about Steve Urkel to the tune of End of the Tour. I wrote this a little while after getting John Henry but then forgot about it. It's to the tune of Meet James Ensor, called Meet Tom Servo. Meet Tom Servo Joel's little robot Bring him down and shake his hand Appreciate the 'bot Before there was Frank and before there was Mike He lived with his maker and the torments of films The world was transfixed A crowd gathered 'round Pressed against the TV so they could be the first To Meet Tom Servo Joel's little robot Turn him on and sit and stare Understand the 'bot He blew up his head He didn't need his head He lived with his maker and he got it repaired Now Joel has forgotten And Frank's moved along, but The crowd at the TV are stuck in their homes Meet Tom Servo Meet Tom Servo Joel's little robot Bring him down and shake his hand Appreciate the 'bot Well there you go, I hope some people like it :) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:11:36 -0500 From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: TMBG on MTV ? I just woke up, so i might now have been hearing correctly.. but... I was sitting in the lobby of my dorm, mindlessly watching the end of MTV's Week In Rock, and I could have sworn that Kurt Loder said that next week they would investigate the "otherworldly conection between They Might Be Giants, Madonna, and Prince." Maybe he said some other band, because I couldn't get the connection, and It would make sense that i would WANT him to say TMBG... did anyone else catch this bit? Sleepy Boy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 96 13:52 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: How to record DAS >You can also get phone recorders from magazines like Popular Mechainics >and probably at Radio Shack too. My cordless phone has a mini-cassette >conversation recorder on it. It's pretty Cool. My brother has a nifty little gadget that's simply a suction cup with a microphone in the middle. You plug it into a tape recorder, stick the suction cup to the phone, and bingo! It records pretty good. I think he got it from radio shack. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 96 14:10 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown] >Sad songs by TMBG:I can't ever think of a song by they that left me >depressed in any way. Even the songs which evoke some sort of >melancholy or bitterness like Road Movie to Berlin, end of the tour or >Narrow Your Eyes don't put me into a sad state. It could be the bouncy >or lively musical arrangements they always have. When I think of TMBG >music I always think of the funny stuff, their overall wit and catchy >lyrics and music. Never do I feel SAD. I guess I don't really get *sad* as such when I listen to Their sadder songs, like "Road Movie" or "End of the Tour." I'm more likely to go into a somewhat melancholy, introspective state. I kinda like songs that do that, that make me get all quiet for a few minutes. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 96 14:15 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: NOt much to todo with them, but read anyway. =) > >> Metal Detector: Very Orange... like the wallpaper in the booklet >Really? I think more of sort of a sand color. Except for the pile of >falderal. I always picture that to be rather purple. I guess different >people get different colors out of the songs. I get a blueish-green color when I think about "Metal Detector." I also always think of the beach on a cloudy day, rather than a sunny one. I don't know why. "Spiraling Shape" is red-orange and swirly; "Your Own Worst Enemy" is yellow; "Pet Name" is yellow, pink, and pastel blue... I'm big on color association. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:16:59 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Meet Tom Servo >a little while after getting John Henry but then forgot about it. It's >to the tune of Meet James Ensor, called Meet Tom Servo. Does anyone have on file the lyrics posted a couple years back to that song? I remember bits and pieces. The chorus and first verse, as I remember it: Meet Trent Reznor Nine Inch Nails lead singer Walk right up and be a fan Get closer to the man Before there was grunge rock Before there was grunge He lived in Pennsylvania and wrote noisy songs Music was transformed A crowd gathered 'round Camped out all night long to buy tickets to Meet Trent Reznor (etc... I forget the rest) -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:16:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Polk? >Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why the Johns chose James Polk, one >of the least popular of our presidents to be the theme of their song? Just a >thought! Look at James Ensor, had you ever heard of James Ensor before TMBG? Or Istanbul (I know they didn't write it, but they could have used something different). Listen to the last line or so "but precious few have learned the passing of Mr. James K. Polk". (sorry if that's quoted wrong, I don't have my lyrics yet, and I'm too lazy to download everything.) If they did the song on Abraham Lincoln, everyone would say, "so what, we already know everything about Abe." But with James K. Polk, we actually learn something. Perhaps Their purpose was to teach, not to just write another song. signing off, Guava Boy9, Bsc, Ssc ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 96 14:19 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: factory.... > >Maybe I'm a psyco here or something, but don't skip any of songs on FS. I >think it's Their best since Lincoln. but, then again, i might be crazy. Maybe I'm weird, but almost *never* skip tracks when I'm listening to a cd. I feel guilty. Maybe it comes from having exclusively tapes until about two years ago. The only exception to this is my Forrest Gump soundtrack - there are some songs on there I just *can't* stand. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:22:32 -0800 From: Robin Perrtree Organization: Washington U. StL Subject: TMBG: Concert Dates? If anyone knows anything about the concert dates, in Dallas around X-mas time, that Flans hinted at in the Sonicnet chat I'd appretiate it. I live in St. Louis, but I'll be in Dallas area for Christmas. Any St. Louis dates would be appretioted as well. Thanks in advance. Robin aka TMBGod on IRC This is my first list since I changed e-mail addresses a couple months ago and it took me awhile to re-sign-up for the list. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:30:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: you gave me a pet name, this is which to say I LIKE IT! >>I still think it's interesting that the three songs that are least TMBG-ish on this album are also the three most maligned. Those who think Pet Name is a really cool song, raise your hands (and freak flags) high!<< Yeeeahh! :) "Pet Name" is currently my favourite track on this cd! ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:38:35 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Color Associations Well this is a rather odd subject but for some reason I get it. Here's the colors that I see with the songs... 0. Token Back To Brooklyn - Kind of an odd green. 1. Sexxy - Red filter light, as in a red light district one might imagine 2. UMHFO - Blue & yellow. Also reminds me of Mario 64 for some odd reason. 3. HCISLAG - Plain melon-orange. 4. Exquisite Dead Guy - Kind of dark blood red...yellow at the loud part 5. Metal Detecor - Green & blue. 6. NYC - Light blue. 7. YOWE - White light. 8. XTC - Another red, with some black. 9. Spiralling Shape - Cloudy blue. 10. James K. Polk - Pink & Purple. 11. Pet Name - I dunno. Can't place one. 12. I Can Hear You - Indigo. 13. The Bells Are Ringing - Gold. I guess some of these are more obvious than others but nevermind. This is weird, I'm going to have to go see what color the rest of my songs are. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: Re: factory + OAT Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:34:23 -0600 (CST) > Maybe I'm weird, but almost *never* skip tracks when I'm listening > to a cd. I feel guilty. Maybe it comes from having exclusively tapes > until about two years ago. The only exception to this is my Forrest Gump Hrm... Thinking about it, I suppose that I do that, too... Must be that darned Christian upbringing of mine... ;) OAT: I finally got my copy of FS a coupla days ago... I have to say I'm actually rather impressed... It's a lot better than I thought it would be. I still maintain that a lot of the songs are much more mainstream than They used to be, but the mainstreamed songs are better than I thought they'd be, and I was rather extraordinarily surprised to find those fun songs like Exquisite Dead Guy and I Can Hear You on there... I'm a little disappointed in the lack of many songs, but I'm still rather satisfied after I'm done listening to it... Anyway, I like it much better than John Henry. My one true complaint with it, I suppose, after all is done and said, is that now I can't put all of TMBG's albums on random at once (my stereo only holds six CDs at once, and I count Misc.T (currently my favorite) as an album)... More OAT: Re: the whole color thing. Fun! I never really thought of it that way... I'm going to have to start paying more attention to what's going on in my head as the songs play, but now that you mention it, I think I get those funky colors, too! ;) Well, that's all for now. Later, all.... -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "C'mon... Please... Gimmie the foot..." - Spoken to a FIRE / dog in the movie Brainscan ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ *'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:39:10 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Pink vs Blue On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Because there are people who will flame them in response, and, if you're > making reference to my post, I'm simply stating that I don't want to see > a large scale discussion about it, because people seem to think that the > only way to get a point across is yelling, and I can see this turning > into a huge argument/fight/whatever. I don't want that to happen. > I was not specifically referancing your post, it was just an at-the-time addition to a post that I had wanted to say for a while. I didin't mean to give the impresion that I was talking (writing :) specifically about your post. Steven J. Luke *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "So take the hand of Mister Me and Mister, make him glad to swim the Mister Misty Sea and cease the Mister Mistery that Mister, made him sad." Yeah! Mister the Sea in Me and Misty Ryster him, me it, what, and.... *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:51:05 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: Re: TMBG: spider ananse On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Jonah wrote: > In my Global Studies class, me and my partner are doing a presentation > of an African Folktale about Ananse the spider, and that got me > thinking. I think spider is quite pssobly about ananse, spider of > african myth. The song sounds sort of African rythm-based, and the > character ananse is a hero, but very annoying, and many people would > want to "get--rid--of" him. Possible connection? And we're also I always thought that it was about Spider-Man (I actually thought it was to obvious to ever point out), pretty much for the same reason. He is a hero, but the cops/bad guys are always looking to get him. It also explains all the comic bookish/cartoonish voices in the song. > I guess I don't really get *sad* as such when I listen to Their >sadder songs, like "Road Movie" or "End of the Tour." I'm more likely to Funny, I never really thought of End of The Tour as being a sad song. I always thought it was a song about hope for a recovering drug adict. Kind of the opposite of all their sad songs (sad lyrics with very "up" beats), instead it is very hopefull with a slow beat, kinda the opposite effect. >Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why the Johns chose James Polk, one >of the least popular of our presidents to be the theme of their song? >Just a thought! Because he was one of the least popular presidents :) Steven J. Luke *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "So take the hand of Mister Me and Mister, make him glad to swim the Mister Misty Sea and cease the Mister Mistery that Mister, made him sad." Yeah! Mister the Sea in Me and Misty Ryster him, me it, what, and.... *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:35:41 +0100 From: timli@controls.eurotherm.co.uk (Tim Linnell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Skipping FS >In a message dated 96-11-17 11:54:05 EST, you write: > >"XTC vs. Adam Ant" I am not too fond of, but James K. Polk has a nice beat >and The Bells are Ringing has a nice melody. That's my 2 cents! Looks like I must be one of only three people in the world to like XTC vs Adam Ant, but then I was around for the first bout. In the days before internet, we used to swap insults about the bands we liked on the school bus, and I well recall the arguments about Adam Ant (and the new romantics), and whether they were better than bands like XTC, etc. Incidentally, in response to the post a while back on English bands (take your places on the bus, please), I'd suggest that Ash (etc) are really pretty derivative of bands like the Undertones and the Buzzcocks: ok to listen to, but not fantastically original. The really good stuff coming out of the UK is being done by bands such as Massive Attack, Prodigy, and Tricky (Tricky, in particular, is mind blowingly good). Oh yes, I was in Best Buys in Reston VA last week, and they have stacks of Why does the Sun Shine?, also John Henry at $9.99, as well as the full album back catalogue at around $11 to $13. Tim ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: Colors + Cool Program Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:58:38 -0600 (CST) I was just thinking about the whole colors in songs thing, and realized something.... There's a really cool program out there (Freeware, they even have the source available for download) called "Cthugha" (yes, from the Lovecraft Cthulhu legends), which basically takes any waveform input (ie: a CD player, tape player, even a microphone) and does really fun things with it on the screen... It's really wild... I had a group of 10 people in my office the other day watching Enya on my computer screen. The program even picks up on the beats of the song, if they're heavy enough, and the effects really are truly remarkable. You have to see it to believe it... I haven't tried any TMBG with it, but I think it'd work out pretty well... I've really only tried out the two opposite ends of the spectrum (ie: Enya, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Sibelius, etc, on one end, and I've tried out NIN, Marylin Manson, Korn, Carl Orff, etc, on the other, and nothing really inbetween)... You can get it at http://www.afn.org/~cthugha It's available in DOS, Mac, and Linux format (versions 5.2, 0.5A, and 0.8, respectively)... Personally, I like it on slower computers (486 level)... On the PowerMacs and the Pentium DOS machines I've tried it on, the visual imagery is too fast and sparadic to really zone out to, thus I'm prone to favor how it runs on my Linux box (which happens to be on a 486). Anyway... -CJ, with "More Ways to Waste Your Time" May the force be with you. Justification: / "Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only SALAD / food: frequently there must be a beverage." - Woody Allen, ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ "Without Feathers" '*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:07:47 -0500 (EST) From: "Steven J. Luke" Subject: TMBG: XTC vs Adam Ant : Factory Showroom Am I way behind on this thing, or is Factory Showroom a SUPER appropriate name for this album? What it is, is reallly a composition of thirteen different styles of songs, laid out in a specific fashion, a type of music showcase, from the music factory called They Might Be Giants. An interesting twist, which connects to the whole Factory Showroom thing. Could XTC vs. Adam Ant really have little to do with those actuall bands? Could it really be refering to TMBG itself, and the fight that they have with a) either sticking to their origenal music, which is over laiden with content, perhaps to much for the average joe, and b) becoming stylistic, "mainstream", and that way, a lot more successful. They use the comparisonof XTC and Adam Ant to compare their own situation, they can be both stylish, and content full, but whichis better? If you look from this perspective at FS, than you see the less-content-full songs such as S-E-X-X-Y, New York City, and until I thought of this XTC vs. Adam Ant, along with I Can Hear You as their very Stylish section of product, and TBAR, Metal Detector, HCISLAG, and Spiraling Shape, as their content laden product. Any thoughts? Steven J. Luke *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "So take the hand of Mister Me and Mister, make him glad to swim the Mister Misty Sea and cease the Mister Mistery that Mister, made him sad." Yeah! Mister the Sea in Me and Misty Ryster him, me it, what, and.... *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1985 15:06:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Pink vs Blue / Color Associations Pink vs Blue... Pink and Blue are both, you know, baby colors. If you buy baby clothes you get boys clothes in blue, and girls in pink. At this point in their career their style was in its infancy (I know they'd been around a while, but it was their first album) Oh well. Just random thoughts. Color... Anyone done a study on this stuff or anything... It's interesting... what's the brain doing to figure this out. Any neurologists out there? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:29:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: SLC concert - a little late A report on the TMBG concert in SLC 11/15. We got there about 30 min early, and while we were waiting for the doors to open, we sang TMBG songs. The security guard was a real jerk, and made faces at us from inside the door while we were stuck out in the snow. We got in, and hurried straight to the front, after buying a T-shirt. The bouncer was nice enough to check our coats under the stage. After a long wait, CUB opened. I didn't much care for them. This rude girl (I'm guessing she was about 13) pushed us out of the way, and took our spots on the front. We were packed in there, but she kept making it worse by holding on to the stage guard, and then just pushing backwards, thouroughly smashing everyone behind her. She kept pushing and moving, making it uncomfortable for everyone. TMBG finally started, and I was loving every minute of it. Flansburgh tried to start a Conga Line, but everyone in the front was too worried about losing their spot. My friend and I tried to get it going, but everyone was real uptight. A couple songs later, something happened, and it sounded like fireworks. They finished the song, and then went offstage. Linnell came out 5 minutes later, and said that someone got hurt (information, please). Then he left. The stagehands through out the set lists, and drumsticks, but I didn't get anything : ( At the end, my shirt was completely soaked from sweat, and I wasn't exactly sure who's sweat it was. Oh, well. It was great. Does anyone know when they are coming to SLC again? And was anyone from the list there? Bye-Bye ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:41:53 -0500 Subject: TMBG: album ratings and happy thoughts (long) ok,here is my album ratings(not number ones,i dont like that) because EVERYONE wants to hear them........ they might be giants----i like this one. i do not mind those little songs randomly thrown onto the tape(i just have the cassete,same with lincoln and misc.t.,cant wait for THEN-THE EARLY YEARS!)i listen to it a lot,and thats about all i have to say. lincoln------i think this ones REALLY good.i think this is one of the best albums,lyrically and musically.i dont listen to it as much,cause i already have 600000000000000 times. (well,same with all the albums i guess) misc t-------this albums just plain silly. thats why its a top pick!! its not my b-day,mr.dj,worlds address(remix),the famous polka and were the replacements are my top songs here. flood------whenever i feel i am tired of listining to this cause i have 600000000000001 times,i think of birdhouse in your soul,and im ready to rock! this album is very repetitive (your racist friend,we want a rock,etc,etc),but,whats so bad about more of a good thing? apollo 18-------MY FAV ALBUM i think. the music and lyrics are just excelente,and fingertips and space suit are the icing on the yummy cake. most of my fav songs are on this album john henry----ive heard a lot of negative reviews,but i love this album. i also love its so long.i cant really think of much else to say... factory showroom-------this album is very very very good!!! i like every song,and just cause xtc vs.adam ant is my least fav,DOESNT mean i skip over it!!!! i never skip over any songs from a band i like. (well,maybe track 13 on misc.t.,but thats it!)besides,i still liek xtc,its just not the best on the album like METAL DETECTOR,PET NAME,NYC,OR THE BELLS ARE RINGING! thank you. note----i will be playing LUCKY BALL AND CHAIN for my friend hansels history of rock and roll class. he is sopposed to have a song about "loniliness",i reccomended and ng,or see the constalation,but hansel likes the "now i rock a bar stool and i drink for 2" line. --------------------- Forwarded message: From: MAILER-DAEMON@aol.com (Mail Delivery Subsystem) To: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: 96-11-17 15:39:58 EST This is a MIME-encapsulated message --PAA22985.848263159/emout01.mail.aol.com The original message was received at Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:38:47 -0500 from root@localhost If your mail was returned due to a potentially misspelled AOL e-mail address, we may be able to assist you in finding the correct address. Point your WWW browser at http://www.idot.aol.com/search/ Here you will find instructions and a simple form to help you locate the email address you are looking for! NOTE: we cannot and will not divulge private information about members. Please only use the search resource if you believe that you may have misspelled a member's e-mail address. -AOL Postmaster ----- The following addresses had delivery problems ----- tmng-list@tmbg.org (unrecoverable error) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to ussodyssey.ufp.org.: >>> RCPT To: <<< 550 ... User unknown 550 tmng-list@tmbg.org... User unknown ----- Original message follows ----- --PAA22985.848263159/emout01.mail.aol.com Content-Type: message/rfc822 Return-Path: Jordan1c@aol.com Received: by emout01.mail.aol.com (8.6.12/8.6.12) id PAA22975 for tmng-list@tmbg.org; Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:38:47 -0500 Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:38:47 -0500 From: Jordan1c@aol.com Message-ID: <961117153846_1183754163@emout01.mail.aol.com> To: tmng-list@tmbg.org Subject: album ratings and miscellaneous(long) ok,here is my album ratings(not number ones,i dont like that) because EVERYONE wants to hear them........ they might be giants----i like this one. i do not mind those little songs randomly thrown onto the tape(i just have the cassete,same with lincoln and misc.t.,cant wait for THEN-THE EARLY YEARS!)i listen to it a lot,and thats about all i have to say. lincoln------i think this ones REALLY good.i think this is one of the best albums,lyrically and musically.i dont listen to it as much,cause i already have 600000000000000 times. (well,same with all the albums i guess) misc t-------this albums just plain silly. thats why its a top pick!! its not my b-day,mr.dj,worlds address(remix),the famous polka and were the replacements are my top songs here. flood------whenever i feel i am tired of listining to this cause i have 600000000000001 times,i think of birdhouse in your soul,and im ready to rock! this album is very repetitive (your racist friend,we want a rock,etc,etc),but,whats so bad about more of a good thing? apollo 18-------MY FAV ALBUM i think. the music and lyrics are just excelente,and fingertips and space suit are the icing on the yummy cake. most of my fav songs are on this album john henry----ive heard a lot of negative reviews,but i love this album. i also love its so long.i cant really think of much else to say... factory showroom-------this album is very very very good!!! i like every song,and just cause xtc vs.adam ant is my least fav,DOESNT mean i skip over it!!!! i never skip over any songs from a band i like. (well,maybe track 13 on misc.t.,but thats it!)besides,i still liek xtc,its just not the best on the album like METAL DETECTOR,PET NAME,NYC,OR THE BELLS ARE RINGING! thank you. note----i will be playing LUCKY BALL AND CHAIN for my friend hansels history of rock and roll class. he is sopposed to have a song about "loniliness",i reccomended and ng,or see the constalation,but hansel likes the "now i rock a bar stool and i drink for 2" line. --PAA22985.848263159/emout01.mail.aol.com-- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:45:07 -0400 (EDT) From: 8_tmaloney@FAIR1.FAIRFIELD.EDU Subject: TMBG: Fingertips live Hi! I just wanted to say something briefly about the question of seeing Fingertips live. In the 5 or six times I've seen them live, the only time they made any reference to the song was 3 or 4 years ago when they played Central Park Summerstage along with NRBQ and Pere Ubu. During their set Flans introduced a song saying, "This is a song called 'Everything is catching on fire.'" They started playing the 'Everything is catching on fire' part and then they went right into something else. I think it was statue got me high, but I'm not certain. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 16:19:04 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: TMBG: concert dates from rolling stone mag. I don't know if anyone already posted this, but in the new Rolling Stone, the FS ad comes with a list of dates: --Amy On Tour: Nov 6- Late Night with Conan O'Brien Nov 8- Ny, Ny --Roseland Nov 14- Moscow, ID -- U of Idaho, Student Union Ballroom Nov 15- Saltlake City, UT --Horticulture Nov 16- Portland, OR -- La Luna Nov 17- Seattle, WA -- Moore Theater Nov 20- SanFrancisco, CA -- The Warfield Nov 21- San Luis Obispo, CA -- ASI Rec Center Nov 22- LosAngles, CA -- El Rey Theater Nov 24- SanDiego, CA -- 4th And B Nov 26- Chicago, IL -- Riviera Nov 27- Kansas City, MO -- Memorial Auditorium Nov 29- Minneapolis, MN -- The O'Shaughnessy Nov 30- Milwaukee, WI -- The Rave Dec 3- Columbus, OH -- Newport Music Hall Dec 4- Cleveland, OH -- Agora Ballroom Dec 5- Cincinatti, OH -- Bogart's Dec 7- Nashville, TN -- 328 Dec 8- Atlanta, GA -- The Roxy ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: TMBG: concert dates from rolling stone mag. Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:35:58 -0600 (CST) (sorry to whoever it was who's getting this twice... Did a regular reply first) > Nov 30- Milwaukee, WI -- The Rave Speaking of which, if anyone's going to this show, drop me a line, and maybe we can get together or something like that... I'm really looking forward to this show - I've heard the Rave is a pretty small place; is that true? May the force be with you. Justification: / "_I_ am the avacado... _YOU_ are the avacado... _I_ am COWS / the avacado... _YOU_ are the avacado... _I_ am the..." - ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ The Tentmaker ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. WOW: Vortex http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:08:46 -0500 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: TMBG: Vinyl and Skips I skip nothing on fs, course I don't own a Cd player, so that could have somthing to do with it. But I ouldn't any way This goes back a ways, but somebody asked about cryptic messeges on the records. I have Flood on record, and theres nothing on that, but I found the first album at the radio station. On one side it says "Johnny Call Home", and on the other side it says "Open 25 hours a day 6 days a week" both are followed by the DAS #. We had the sleeve for the Don't Lets Start single, but somebody stole the record, so I don't know about that. Also I listen to a mostly independent music, and it is not all that uncommon to find stuff written on the vinyl. Hope this has been stated a bunch already. Whenb I go home I'll look on my cool green christmas 7 inch. Merciless ############################################################################ ##"For the first time I looked twords the uncertain future with a sense of hope, because if a machine can learn the value of a human life than perhaps we can to. -Linda Hamaltin (T2) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:18:39 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Color Associations Tom Hare wrote: > > Well this is a rather odd subject but for some reason I get it. > Here's the colors that I see with the songs... This'll be sorts depressing, but here are the colors I see: 0 - forest green with little specks of yellow light 1 - black and grey 2 - dark dark blue with hints of green the whole thing tinted black 3 - black as night 4 - greyish light penetrating a dark space 5 - dark and cloudy 6 - black with neon backround lighting 7 - a dark room with daylight streaming through the cracks 8 - all black 9 - yellow and blue 10 - grass green and blue sky 11 - same as metal detector 12 - candy yellow 13 - orange and green told you it was depressing *a note from yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:03:23 -0800 (PST) From: Michael! Subject: TMBG: THEY's Current Tour Two questions: 1. Who is CUB? Are they any good? 2. Anybody seen the current tour and have any thoughts? I'll be posting a major review after seeing their San Diego show in one week. Michael ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: YEA! I GOT A SINGLE! Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:19:47 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Wyatt Glodell wrote: > write it, but it just sounds really cool! Whirlpool: Another good one, > although it could use more than one line repeated Spy: COOL! This versoin is > Actually, They didn't write Whirlpool. I am pretty sure (going from memory here, which is quite faulty at times from all the drunken debauchery I partake in) that on the back of the single it says that Whirlpool is a Meat Puppets song. BTW, Whirlpool is one of my favorite songs by Them. Also, I have noticed after repeated listenings to FS, S-E-X-X-Y is becoming a favorite of mine. I didn't like it very much at first, but once I put it on tape (since I don't have a portable CD player) and listened to it for like a week straight, I begin to like it more and more. I think it has something to do with that fact that it is a little more ambitious (sp?) on the musical side. Guitars, strings, keyboards, I think horns (faulty memory again!), putting all of that together into a song is a lot. The lyrics are pretty good too. Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Gained five pounds since I bought the moped. Coincidence? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:37:12 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: Re: TMBG: Color Associations At 02:38 PM 11/17/96 -0500, Tom Hare wrote: >I guess some of these are more obvious than others but nevermind. This is >weird, I'm going to have to go see what color the rest of my songs are. > I really do not see what any of you are talking about when you say I see this or that color when listening to a song... for me it is an emotion. I relate lyrics to past experience, this is how I can relate. If anyone would like to clue me in to this color/song thing, I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say! :) thanks... Matthew K Puvogel, esq. VIII ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:35:43 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Whirlpool > Actually, They didn't write Whirlpool. I am pretty sure (going from > memory here, which is quite faulty at times from all the drunken > debauchery I partake in) that on the back of the single it says that > Whirlpool is a Meat Puppets song. BTW, Whirlpool is one of my favorite > songs by Them. > Yes, Whirlpool is indeed a Meat Puppets song...it's on their album Forbidden Places. Obviously, the Meat Puppets version doesn't contain any saxes...and I must agree that Their version of Whirlpool is amazing. I can't remember quite right (must be that drunken debauchery, eh, Aaron?), but I think that I actually heard Them play Whirlpool when I saw them in 1993. Maybe I'm just smoking crack, though...beats me. Nothing else to report, sir. I must admit that the "Meet Tom Servo" and what was posted of "Meet Trent Reznor" were very well done, though. Oh well. I'm outta heeeeeeeeeeeeere. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "How do you think that I survived the other twenty-five before you?" --Ben Folds Five, "The Last Polka" ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Meet Tom Servo From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 19:15:16 EST On Sun, 17 Nov 96 13:12:59 18000 Tom Hare writes: >Okay, this is just a little alternate lyrics deal along the lines of that >one I saw about Steve Urkel to the tune of End of the Tour. Available at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/ , or so I am told... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: glockenspiel/I can Hear you Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 19:35:38 -0500 (EST) Firstly, there is a song by the Beautiful South called You PlayGlockenspiel, I'll Play Drums (which is a fantastic song) but I always think of Brian Doherty playing Shoehorn with Teeth when I hear this. But I think, Brian plays both Glock & Drums so how can I play if he's playing? hehe it's very paradoxical! Secondly, to Ununcom whtaever it is rup: So you say that I Can Hear you is just a bunch of thrown together old stuff and thusly not a very good song? Most songs these days are just a meshing together of what has already been done, but in a different way. I mean, there are only so many instruments out there and only so many ways that a song can be created. But, I think the fact that TMBG and other good bands out there, can put together something in an interesting way can make for an interesting song. It's a very wittily written song, and is funny also. I always have the "Can you super-size that" part running through my mind. Also, it is rather unique to make it on an Edison wax cylindar and not only that but create a song that fits for that medium and is good. So, that is why I see this as a great song. I might be biased by the fact that I was at that Edison recording too ;) Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: XTC vs Adam Ant : Factory Showroom Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 19:45:04 -0500 (EST) > Am I way behind on this thing, or is Factory Showroom a SUPER > appropriate name for this album? What it is, is reallly a composition of > thirteen different styles of songs, laid out in a specific fashion, a > type of music showcase, from the music factory called They Might Be Giants. > > An interesting twist, which connects to the whole Factory > Showroom thing. Could XTC vs. Adam Ant really have little to do with > those actuall bands? Could it really be refering to TMBG itself, and the > fight that they have with a) either sticking to their origenal music, > which is over laiden with content, perhaps to much for the average joe, > and b) becoming stylistic, "mainstream", and that way, a lot more > successful. They use the comparisonof XTC and Adam Ant to compare their > own situation, they can be both stylish, and content full, but whichis > better? > > If you look from this perspective at FS, than you see the > less-content-full songs such as S-E-X-X-Y, New York City, and until I > thought of this XTC vs. Adam Ant, along with I Can Hear You as their very > Stylish section of product, and TBAR, Metal Detector, HCISLAG, and Spiraling > Shape, as their content laden product. You know, I must agree with Steven! If you go from track to track on FS there is a good deal of variety amongst these songs. They have a cover, they have a funk-disco song, harder rocking songs, the old-Casiotone sounds of Metal Detector, the soundtrack Spiraling Shape song, the calm yet disturbing Your Own Worst Enemy, etc. Also, I agree with the XTC vs Adam Ant struggle, XTC are a very content laden band that is excellent but doesn't get nearly as much of the spotlight as they might deserve. Adam Ant, is rather flashy and form-ridden, and is probably not as good as XTC although I haven't heard enough of his music to say for sure. I like it, a musical showroom of styles, it is probably their most varying-styled album. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 19:51:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: That program that animates songs. I accidentally deleted that mail. Could someone please give me the address and the name of the program? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:07:08 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Skipping from Josh: > Those who think Pet Name is > a really cool song, raise your hands (and freak flags) high! I raise my hand and my freak flag. It's getting sad how some people are talking about what songs they skip on the albums. (I believe Mr. Grabill was also talking about this.) That's one drawback of CD technology from the creative force's standpoint. Unless, of course, the creator truly embraces the free will of the listener to skip dislikeable tracks, and threrefore purposely puts what he/she knows will be seen by the people at large as crud on the album, knowing that his/her listener will hop over them if they do not appreciate his/her artistic expression. I don't know... as an artist, that would bother me. So, in any case, it's too bad that people skip tracks. Personally, I never skip. I am too lazy to :-) Also, I believe I am objective enough not to ignore things I immediately dislike. So I will say it: I like Pet Name. What's wrong with doing a song that's from another genre? The singer's having fun, I appreciate the variety and the endeavor, and it's in good taste. It is a shame to skip over songs that are fun and essentially harmless anyhow. A track worth skipping over may be something like "Swing Is A Word" on the upcoming Then album, which is essentially a TMBG non-song. But even that number is short and endurable. The Beatles' "Revolution 9" is perhaps a prime example of a "skip me" track, clocking in at over eight minutes, consisting of frightening tape loops. Compared to these, S-E-X-X-Y and Pet Name are great, very listenable, and certainly not worth ignoring. (BTW, I don't even skip over Rev.9... but that's just me...) Those who skip tracks on FS shouldn't complain about it being too short then, eh? :-) Just making a case for more listening... ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 20:47:56 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: My problems... Well, I am a little bored...so I thought I would tell you a little story about how stupid and immature your average high school students are... I am a senior in a fairly small private high school. Well, for various reasons I have become friends with a freshman whose name is John. Now... it seems that students at my school can't handle a senior being friends with a freshman. So, I have people insulting me and him constantly. Making comments I would rather not discuss... Now there is TMBG content here... I lent him a TMBG tape to listen to, and he was listening to it and talking to me when some of his "friends" who are on the JV hockey team came over. They asked him what he was listening to and he told them. Well, now they seem to like to call me Particle Man. It is apparantly the only TMBG song they have heard of. So when these sophomores pass me in the hall they start singing Particle Man and giggling and stuff... It doesn't bother me, but I think it is bothering John cause freshman tend to me more susceptible to peer pressure. Oh well, wouldn't it suck if this messed up a cool friendship? Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 18:47:27 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Finally Played Factory Showroom Rating the Albums:I've been quite amused by everyone's posts rating/briefly reviewing TMBG's albums. Everyone seems to give every album a 10 except for one...often Flood. And finally...over a month after it came out and two weeks after I bought it...I finally got around to listening to FACTORY SHOWROOM. the experience was definitely affected by reading this list over the months but in what way I'm not sure. Anyway here goes nothing... SEXXY---Well this is a shocking opener. I'm going to have to listen to it more but it seems like it's chock o'block full of seventies sounding riffs or allusion to riffs...which I don't know...Stevie Wonder maybe?...Those strings sure sound like they could have been lifted from "Fly robin Fly" by the Silver Convention at times. TMHFO---This I liked right away. No analysis...just love it. HCISLAG---One of the John's took CHORUS!!!Eegads. So this is where the freak flag bit came from. Again some seventies tinge...the guitar sounds a bit like Sweet. Exquisite Dead Guy---I can see why they have puppets perform this live. Did they write it with the puppets in mind? I really like the song though. Metal Detector---The song that most sounds like the They of old...not that they've changed that much...which is probably why it's great. New York City---Finally hearing this maligned track all I could think was...why the hell do so many people hate this? I think you have to be a New York City Native or be fond of the place in order to appreciate it. It's a sort of an I Love L.A. (which I despise by the way---Randy Newman gets on my nerves)thing for New York but not in an offensive way. Definitely very New Wavy sounding tune. You're Own Worst enemy---A song with a Carpenters take off...more 70's...am I the only one hearing this? Is it all in my head? XTC vs. Adam Ant---Oops...It's a clinker!!!!! Okay. XTC is my favorite band on earth pretty much. I like Adam a lot too (well Kings of the Wild Frontier anyway). It's a thrill to see my obscure favorite rate a mention smoewhere...but the song. It's not that it's terrible. It's just that it's not I don't think it's much of a tribute or parody. Musically, other than using strings I don't see an XTC connection. Adam Ant...none. Lyrically...why these two vs. each other? These two bands don't really have much of anything in common and the song fails to make a connection. Perhaps XTC vs. Steely Dan or the Beatles. Adam Ant vs. ...well I'll have to think on that one. Overall the album's weakest link...except maybe for... Spiralling Shape---Don't much are for this one. Less memorable than XTC vs. AA which takes some doing. James K. Polk---I like this version better than the Istanbul Ep rendition. I just love TMBG songs about school subjects(art history, science, geography...etc...). Pet Name---Reminded me of Dirt Bike at first...but then not. Lots of this record reminds me of some long lost song I just can't remember. I Can Hear You---Like the song but I think that maybe this should have been left off as a B-Side. I would have preferred a non-Edison recording. the Bells Are ringing---Another TMBG stylistic throwback. A good song but doesn't feel like a big finish like End of the tour. At the end of the album I wanted more. It felt like it just stopped. Well at least I know there's more stuff on the horizon. FS is proving easier to get into than I had gathered from the list. I think it's SEXXY that's the hardest to swallow and even that's not bad. the "full band" sound is definitely more in effect this time than on JH...and I mean that in the way it affects the overall sound. John Henry wasn't as big a stylistic leap as this album is. Anyway...I've gone on a bit. till the next... Herne ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:45:50 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: A dark horse came riding up raising hands high because Pet Name is one of the coolest songs on FS... I personaly don't find anything un-TMBGish which is a word I don't like to use because nothing is NOT TMBGish... Their musical talents go so far that they can funk, rock, polka, and do whatever you wanna call their othersongs... TMBGish is a "typical" term and TMBG are anything but typical... That why I think they appeal to less people then say, Dave Matthews Band or 311... I like both these bands but they are very mainstream, and they get airplay.. which I don't mind.. hey, it's good work if you can get it... But there are also bands like say Marilyn Manson, which I don't personally like and neither do 1 out of 100 humans but if you talk to the other % they do... And there are bands like Cub, which I hadn't heard of before TMBG, which is a perfect example of discovering a band through another band, and The Kilroys or The Yams From Outer Space, which you may not have ever heard of unless you are from there hometown like me... But the thing I was trying to say all along was that Pet Name is essentially TMBGish (ugh!) because it's jumpy, got a beat, A guy named john sings it and you can dance to it.. well maybe the last part isn't that typical (ugh!) Picard told Ensign Joshua to say: >I think this list should be moderated. Now, wait, before you all attack me, >I am on a moderated digest list, and the only thing the moderator does is >prevent blatant spams, several copies of the same e-mail, and other such >things from getting on the list. It provides a far better S:N ratio than you >have with an unmoderated one, like this list. Klingon Tim said: If you think thats the right thing.. more power to ya man... It sound ok to me! Checking the Want Ads for a job because I "Quit MYYYYYYYYYYYY Job down at the car wash..." -Tim (AKA Dog) ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:48:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: S E X X WHY IS IT SO BAD? Who in their right mind skips S E X X Y?? It is the coolest TMBG song on that album.. second to NYC i'm afraid... It is so funky and groovy and its got a beat and it's about doin it! WHAT IS SO UNCOOL THAT YOU GUYS HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT? ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: FS From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:52:09 EST The only songs I skip on FS are: _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:53:09 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Skipping FS Here is what I skip on FS: TBTB And only because it is such a pain in the butt to rewind my CD every time I put it in... All the other songs are cool... I don't know what you think is so wrong with them... ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: My problems... From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:05:00 EST >Well, I am a little bored...so I thought I would tell you a little >story >about how stupid and immature your average high school students are... > >I am a senior in a fairly small private high school. Well, for various > >reasons I have become friends with a freshman whose name is John. >Now... >it seems that students at my school can't handle a senior being >friends >with a freshman. So, I have people insulting me and him constantly. >Making comments I would rather not discuss... > >Now there is TMBG content here... I lent him a TMBG tape to listen to, >and >he was listening to it and talking to me when some of his "friends" >who are >on the JV hockey team came over. They asked him what he was listening >to and >he told them. Well, now they seem to like to call me Particle Man. It >is >apparantly the only TMBG song they have heard of. So when these >sophomores >pass me in the hall they start singing Particle Man and giggling and >stuff... >It doesn't bother me, but I think it is bothering John cause freshman >tend >to me more susceptible to peer pressure. Oh well, wouldn't it suck if >this messed up a cool friendship? I think that there's nothing wrong with being friends with people that aren't your age. What the heck up with those other people. It seems to me that they're just a bunch o' a-holes. Could it be that you'r in a small private school? I wouldn't know, I've been public all my life. If they wont shut up at all, strap them into a chair and force them to listen to other TMBG music. That should shove a little respect into their stupid mouths. Good luck to you. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:12:35 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Finally Played Factory Showroom Herne got hypnotized into saying: >At the end of the album I wanted more. It felt like it just stopped. >Well at least I know there's more stuff on the horizon. If you want more try playing Token Back To Brooklyn... or have you not heard of it... HM HM HM HM HA AHA HA HA!!!! "Pleh! Pleh Pleh!"- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:59:57 -0500 From: Pam McLeod Subject: TMBG: shirt reactions Several people have posted short anecdotes about their tmbg shirt experiences. Well, I bought a tmbg shirt (the one with the sailing theme) at the roseland concert, and when I wore it on Tuesday, I received a strange response from Mike, the kid who sat behind me that day in Calc. After about thirty minutes in class, Mike tapped me on the shoulder and said, "I have been staring at the back of your shirt this entire class. It is a very nice shirt, but I must ask: What the HELL does 'They Might Be Giants Mean?'" I laughed, and told him about the band. He said he might like to listen to their music sometime, so we might have a convert-in-the-making. We'll see. Just thought I'd share. :) love always, pam ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Elektra and other ramblings.... From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:58:52 EST >> Good. Elektra is *not* good for the Giants and They really should >get out of >> there ASAP. Look at XTC if you want to see what having a sucky >record >> company can do to you. (IMHO, XTC and TMBG should both sign to Ryko >where >> they can live out their record recording days in bliss... :) > >Yes! When I first heard about this new-album-really-soon, >breaking-the-two-year-pattern thing, that was my first thought, that >they >must be trying to run through the rest of this Elektra deal ASAP. As >far >as I'm concerned, they're really getting screwed over by Elektra >(grumble >grumble grumble). Ever since the whole Superfueled Freaksicle thing, >I've felt very uneasy about Elektra... I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way about Elektra. It just seems to me that they're not pushing S-E-X-X-Y or any of the songs off of Factory Showroom at all. Have they even released S-E-X-X-Y as a single yet? I asked Flans if he was satisfied with the way Elektra is promoting the new album when he was on sonicnet (unfortunately, however, I joined a few minutes late and didn't realize that an Elektra representative was there with him) and he responded: "Elektra's been great". On another note, the more I listen to Them, the more I am able to determine the writer of a particular song by simply reading the lyrics. Can anyone else tell a difference in lyric styles? I personally think Linnell is a WONDERFUL lyricist and a lot of his lyrics can stand alone as poetry. Not that Flans doesn't write really great lyrics (I especially like Youth Culture), but it seems like Linnell is very well-read and a great writer in general. I could picture him as an English teacher if he wasn't into music. Some of my favorite songs lyrically speaking include Self Called Nowhere, No One Knows My Plan and End of the Tour (can you tell that my favorite album is John Henry?). I'd be interested in hearing what you think (you could even e-mail me privately if you'd like). Jenifer Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG> ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:08:12 -0600 (CST) From: Court Schuett Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y I saw it!!!!!!!! I was at Meijer (sp?) this weekend, and you know those things that have a bunch of clips from videos. I took a look at it, and my friends started pushin their favorites, when one of my friends non-chalanty pointed out the Factory Showroom album!!! I was exstatic. I immeadeatly pushed it and got to see what looked like a bunch of clips from TMBG videos with S-E-X-X-Y being played. I'm pretty sure I saw the following video clips: Puppet Head Don't Let's Start Ana Ng Birdhouse and something from Apollo 18 (just assuming, some guy in a space suit playing the drums) Coincidently enough, one of my friends room-mates's last name is Ng. I thought that was just about the coolest thing ever. :) She's chinese though, not vietnamese. Guess Linnel was right. But then again, was their ever a question. :) Thought you all might like to know, so you can see if it's at your local Wal-Mart or K-Mart. -Court /* Court Schuett schuett@waldo.ivcc.edu ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ When I made a shadow on my window shade they called the police and testified But they're like the people chained up in the cave in the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy No one understands No one knows my plan -They Might Be Giants *******************************************************************************/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Nov 96 04:12:40 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: TMBG: My problems... Solution: Beat the crap out of everyone. Violence is the best solution for any problem. That or sno-cones. ASB This moment has been brought to you by A Squared ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org on behalf of Josh Sent: Sunday, November 17, 1996 8:47 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: My problems... Well, I am a little bored...so I thought I would tell you a little story about how stupid and immature your average high school students are... I am a senior in a fairly small private high school. Well, for various reasons I have become friends with a freshman whose name is John. Now... it seems that students at my school can't handle a senior being friends with a freshman. So, I have people insulting me and him constantly. Making comments I would rather not discuss... Now there is TMBG content here... I lent him a TMBG tape to listen to, and he was listening to it and talking to me when some of his "friends" who are on the JV hockey team came over. They asked him what he was listening to and he told them. Well, now they seem to like to call me Particle Man. It is apparantly the only TMBG song they have heard of. So when these sophomores pass me in the hall they start singing Particle Man and giggling and stuff... It doesn't bother me, but I think it is bothering John cause freshman tend to me more susceptible to peer pressure. Oh well, wouldn't it suck if this messed up a cool friendship? Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:07:05 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Vinyl and Skips At 17:08 11/17/96 -0500, McGing "the Merciless" wrote: >We had the sleeve for the Don't >Lets Start single, but somebody stole the record, so I don't know about >that. The Don't Let's Start vinyl single has the words "No Escape (718) 387-6962" printed only on side A. Side B has nothing printed on it. Alex ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:30:12 EST On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:08:12 -0600 (CST) Court Schuett writes: >I saw it!!!!!!!! I was at Meijer (sp?) MEIJER!!!!!! Yes, that is the correct spelling. You knew I couldn't let that go by unmentioned (Amy)... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: My problems, shirts, and a ? Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 23:31:14 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Josh wrote: > Well, I am a little bored...so I thought I would tell you a little story > about how stupid and immature your average high school students are... > > It doesn't bother me, but I think it is bothering John cause freshman tend > to me more susceptible to peer pressure. Oh well, wouldn't it suck if > this messed up a cool friendship? > I know exactly the kind of people that you are talking about. When I was in high school, I was constantly harassed by people (both younger and older) because I had a penchant for wearing wide red ties with paisleys with red shirts with large white checks and cuttoff shorts. One consolation (for me) is that when I went to my five year reunion, most of my tormentors were fat. ;) I also realized that five years was a long time ago and all that matters is now. Shirt Reaction: I have only had a shirt for a few weeks now, but I wore it right after Their show with Hootie, and this girl who was in the lad where I word asked if I was at the show. I thought I had found another TMBGer, but she only knew Them because she was at the show to see Hootie. Oh well. A question: in the message about moderating the list, someone said that it would increase the S:N ratio. What is the S:N ratio? Am I just really clueless? Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Parse error? I'll parse your error you stupid machine! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:47:40 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Album ratings Here are my ratings for the albums...just delete this message unless you're really bored. :> *THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - 9 Their first album, and a fantastic one... My biggest gripe is that it's kind of short... It's easier to say what I don't like about an album that what I like, so here goes: I can't stand the warbly sound near the end of ERIWA...the '60s psychodelic thing... Toddler Hiway, Chess Piece Face, and The Day are all somewhat irritating, but bearable. Other than that, it's just spiffy. My favorite TMBG song, 'Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes' is on here... Definitely a must buy. *LINCOLN - 10 When I first bought this album, I felt like throwing it away... I felt ripped off until I listened to it for the 7th or 8th time... Eventually I fell in love with it. Now there's not a single song I dislike on it. This is probably their best album, and there's a wider variety of songs on this than any other album. 'Cowtown' is probably my favorite song on Lincoln, although there are a lot of songs on here that come pretty close. *FLOOD - 6.5 This was my first TMBG CD... I didn't like it that much when I first heard it, and eventually I started liking most of the songs on it. After hearing TMBG and Lincoln (both of which I bought right after Flood), I started having a hard time listening to it... Out of all of the TMBG CDs I own, this is the one I play the least... When I do listen to it, I generally listen from track 2 to 16. There are a few great songs on here though....Birdhouse, Istanbul, Particle Man, Twisting, We Want A Rock, Letterbox, Whistling In The Dark, and Women And Men are my personal favorites from this LP... *MISCELLANEOUS T - 8 There are some great songs on here, and there are some pretty bad songs on here...but I guess that's to be expected with a B-side compilation. I love the World's Address re-mix, which has a lot more energy than the original. My least favorite tracks are Lady Is A Tramp, Birds Fly, I'll Sink Manhattan, and track 13... A lot of the songs on here are definitely album worthy, especially It's Not My Birthday and the Famous Polka... *APOLLO 18 - 9.5 Probably my 2nd favorite TMBG CD, behind Lincoln. A great CD from start to finish... Dig My Grave is a pretty hyper song, although every once in a while I'll skip it... My personal favorite song is 'See The Constellation'... I liked She's Actual Size until I heard it live...it's *much* better live than on CD...I'll skip it occassionally... Still, this is a great CD... *WHY DOES THE SUN SHINE? EP - 9 This is the only EP I own by TMBG... The version of WDTSS wasn't the fast concert version I was expecting, but it's still pretty cool... It's not the type of song I can listen to over and over again like 'Till My Head Falls Off' or the version of Spy that's on this EP, but still a lot of fun... Jessica is one of their better covers...album-worthy, IMO. They take a classic song and add their own special touch to it. Whirlpool, on the other hand...I don't really like this too much, but it's bearable. I generally skip it to listen to Spy. The version of Spy on this EP is quite a bit better than the John Henry version, which is a bit more intense (that's not exactly the word I want to use, but what the heck?). :> *JOHN HENRY - 9 Their full-band debut is pretty strong. Highlights - Subliminal, Snail Shell, AKA Driver, I Should Be Allowed To Think, Meet James Ensor, and The End Of The Tour. There aren't any really horrible songs on here, but not all of them are particularly wonderful (like Extra Savoir-Faire---not bad, but not that great either). I like the length of the CD too...I don't have a disc changer, so I like not having to get up for a while once I start playing one. :> *FACTORY SHOWROOM - 9.2 Their latest CD, and one of their best yet. One big reason I like it is because I haven't listened to it to death yet... :> Your Own Worst Enemy is the only song I don't really love, but since it's not that bad a song, I guess that's saying a lot about the rest of the CD. When I saw them in Athens, GA, in early October, they played 10 of the 13 songs on here, so I wasn't too surprised when I bought it a few days later... BTW, they didn't play Metal Detector, I Can Hear You, or the Bells Are Ringing. I was hoping to hear the La-la-la bridge in James K. Polk like they had in concert (a perfect amalgam of the B-side and the FS version), but I guess that was the only big disappointment. The Bells Are Ringing is my favorite song, with Till My Head Falls Off as a close second. After that, about 2/3 of the CD ties for 3rd place. :> -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:30:16 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG:Finally Played Factory Showroom pt.2 I forgot to mention in my FS review...thanks to CyberDog and MJames for the reminder... Token back to Brooklyn---the mysterious hidden song at the beginning of the CD. Well it is rather funny. "The bill collector's drinking Lighter fluid..." What? Oh well. It works as a hidden song throwaway but not as much more. But who knows maybe in a year it will be a masterpiece to me. It seems the minute I dismiss a song or say that I hate it, I can't get it out of my head for days or weeks. Also Re: FS...My only true dismay about the album is that there is no lyric sheet!!! Sure I can get it on the net but I shouldn't have to. Also the mix...it seems that sometimes the music threatens to drown out the vocals. Could be my imagination or more likely my crappy car stereo speakers. Thrilled to see that Graham Maby got another job besides working for Joe Jackson but his bass playing didn't dominate like it did on a lot of JJ's material...which I recommend everyone check out. Is there anyone out there on the list who is a Joe Jackson fan? If interested check out LOOK SHARP and then keep going. Later... Herne ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:36:52 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi) Subject: TMBG: Re: S:N ratio At 11:31 PM on 11/17/96, Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: >A question: in the message about moderating the list, someone said that >it would increase the S:N ratio. What is the S:N ratio? Am I just >really clueless? I don't remember what the original context was to S:N ratio and moderating the list, so this reply won't be very (at all) tmbg related:^| Anyway, S:N is signal to noise. I really only know about this concept with a scanning electron microscope, so bear with me here. The deal is, signal is good and should be maximized. This is your data (or whatevever else you 'want'). Noise is bad. Go figure. The preoblem is that if you increase signal, you also increase noise, so you need to find a happy medium! Sorry about the boring explanation. I've been studying thermodynamics for the last 3 hours. Here's a quick tmbg relatedness: I have tickets to see Them in Chicago Nov. 26 (Yes, I'm going to the pre-party. See you there!). My parents were visiting this weekend, and when I told them I was going, my dad got all excited. He's picking me up the next morning for Thanksgiving, and seriously talked about getting a ticket and coming down. I guess I've kind of rubbed off on him. Now should I let him come . . . Hold tight, kids--- cyn { Cyndi Batson } { Northwestern University } { c-batson@nwu.edu } ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:46:13 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: RE: TMBG at the El Rey on FRI, Nov. 22nd Okay It's official. I'm going to the TMBG show Friday night (11/22) at the El Rey theater. Anyone else going in the Los Angeles area? Send me an e-mail if you are. It would be great to meet anyone from the list!!! Looking forward to the show, Herne ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 01:52:26 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: THEY's Current Tour >Two questions: >1. Who is CUB? Are they any good? >2. Anybody seen the current tour and have any thoughts? >I'll be posting a major review after seeing their San Diego show in one week. >Michael CUB is a "chick" band from British Columbia. I didn't like them, but that is my opinion. I have seen the show in SLC, but I don't have any especially important thoughts. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 02:02:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Flans College Hello 41- I thought I was sure that Flansburg went to Pratt in NY... Oh yeah. I also found a very close to perfect version of Lincoln on vinyl this weekend. Very groovy indeed! *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* Have you become Bandwagonesque? -John Huss Moderate Combo Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-316 ******************************