Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-318 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 318 Wednesday, 20 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again Re: TMBG: Similar Thoughts Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG TMBG: about Ween TMBG: Re: TMBG @ Portland questions Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show TMBG: to the Brits TMBG: Joshua is right Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again TMBG: I am not your sheep. Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG TMBG: TBTB Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again Re: TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again TMBG: Al Vs. They Re: TMBG: Continued Eyesight Controversy... Re: TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? Re: TMBG: concert dates from rolling stone mag. TMBG: Portland show TMBG: Looking forward to thrash! TMBG: they are persuaded by the music of the bells. TMBG: no you can't go back to constantinople Re: TMBG: glockenspiel/I can Hear you Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Re: TMBG: Bugs fall from my thoughts... Re: TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? TMBG: i need suggestions TMBG: TMBG /w Hootie Re: TMBG: i need suggestions Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG Re: TMBG: fencing Re: TMBG: Al Vs. They Re: TMBG: fencing Re: TMBG: minneapolis TMBG: Mono Puff on BMG record club # 1155977 Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again TMBG: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lam=E9?= TMBG: Parties before the Milwaukee and Chicago shows! and lame TMBG: Re: Wierd Al vs They TMBG: ok here is my question TMBG: if no answer TMBG: update TMBG: Lame thingie TMBG: Bird Shirt reactions: Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show TMBG: Token Back To Brooklyn TMBG: About Skipping songs. TMBG: you have about 5 minutes TMBG: xtcvaa TMBG: new question Re: TMBG: xtcvaa Re: TMBG: About Skipping songs. Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG TMBG: fencing TMBG: Fingertips TMBG: Green magic marker Re: TMBG: fencing Re: TMBG: xtcvaa TMBG: Track zero Re: TMBG: About Skipping songs. TMBG: Dr.D Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show TMBG: New Chicago Info!!! Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 02:05:43 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, 'Honey Bunny' N Olson wrote: >I know I'm responding to an old message, but I still haven't caught up > with this list thing. I just had to put in my $.02 worth of gold lame. I > was in the Husky Marching Band at the University of Washington for 3 > years, and our uniforms are PURPLE with GOLD LAME on the front. I'm > totally serious. We even have to take 'em to a special dry cleaner >because there's only one place in town that cleans lame the right way, >especially the gold kind. Beat that! > Must have been fake gold on those uniforms. Foil and sabre fencers wear lames which are incredibly expensive and they're not even gold. Plus, why would a real gold lame need to be cleaned? Gold dosen't tarnish or anything, all you'd have to do to clean it would be to rinse it off. Probably the rest of the uniform needed special care. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 02:16:25 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: TMBG: Similar Thoughts > By the way, about your saying Spiralling Shape is worse than > XVAA... this is so funny. I thought kind of the same thing when I first > heard it; i.e. "Gee, that's not much of a song at all." And then, I ended > up listening to it more and more in the course of listening to the album. > It REALLY grew on me. Today, I think it is the strongest track on FS. (My > brother surprised me today by saying he thought Spiralling Shape was the > strongest track... before he even had any idea of my opinion.) Maybe it > will grow on you, too. Or maybe it will make you go insane... Just to tack my thoughts on there... I was awfully critical of Factory Showroom when I first heard it. All the old arguments (none of which need be repeated here), went through my mind. But as the weeks passed, I played it more and more. It eventually dawned on me that FS had become my favorite of ALL of TMBG's albums (even with the lack of horns, which is quite a detraction). This is due in large part to Spiralling Shape, which I now consider the best song TMBG has ever recorded(displacing Ana Ng, an extremely close second). -The music and the words bring such powerful imagery into my mind (which admittedly doesn't quite match the interpretation provided by J and J in the most recent newsletter), that I find myself rewinding and playing it several times in a row when I'm driving to school or work. Alongside the first Pietasters disc (which I've recently rediscovered), it's currently the most-played album in my collection. Well, that was a pointless post. See ya all later, -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 03:39:57 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Ununoctium U. Ununoctium wrote: > On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:08:12 -0600 (CST) Court Schuett > writes: > > >I saw it!!!!!!!! I was at Meijer (sp?) > > MEIJER!!!!!! Yes, that is the correct spelling. You knew I > couldn't let that go by unmentioned (Amy)... MEIJER! What a wonderful store. But how can you not know the spelling, I mean, those 8-foot red glowing letters on the front of the store pretty much say it all :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Actual Newspaper Headline: Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 01:38:09 -0500 (EST) From: MIKe Rose to the rescue Subject: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG I found a short article in a magazine called Impact, from Sept. 1996, and I thought this little bit might be of interest. "When Ween's alterno-rock "hit" Push The Little Daisies splattered them all over the scene, they became darlings of the sort of fans who worship clever rock concept bands like They Might Be Giants and the Dead Milkmen. This bugged them. For one thing, Dean (Mickey Melchiondo) and Gene (Aaron Freeman) Ween don't much like They Might Be Giants, or any band they felt were just playing around with the music. As if to correct this, they appeared as themselves in the doomed SNL spinoff It's Pat and released the eclectic album Chocolate and Cheese to try and lose some of the bandwagon jumpers. No such luck." --written by Paul Myers I am a big fan of Ween and I came to love them long after getting into TMBG, so I am concerned by the tone of this article which either represents a disturbing belief held by Gene and Dean or a disturbing slant imbued by the journalist. I wouldn't like to think that I would be considered anything less than a real fan by Gene and Dean just because I happen to like TMBG and like them more and liked them first. I don't like the idea that Ween would write off such a fan as myself as a "bandwagon jumper" and try to shake them off. I think in many ways liking TMBG and liking Ween are mutually exclusive, and I personally do not see a lot of similarities. This to me reads like another example of a journalist or reviewer invoking the name of TMBG in relation to Ween and somehow drawing a parallel when I think this does not reflect any current reality. They are both on Elektra, and the core of both bands is two guys making somewhat weird music but I always felt that the reason I liked Ween once I heard them was because they simply make good music, and that I was the kind of person who would gravitate towards music which I thought was exciting and fresh and new and both TMBG and Ween do their own fresh thing. It seems odd to me that Ween's attempt to shake off bandwagon jumpers was to release the album Chocolate and Cheese. I say this because this album is magnificent and far eclipses their previous record Pure Guava. In this way it likely hooked even more people who had not known of Ween before, and I imagine many of them also like TMBG. I also wonder if Dean and Gene knew that the director of It's Pat, Adam Bernstein, directed all the early TMBG videos. Interesting. I guess I am bothered by any suggestion that Ween would somehow lessen the importance of my interest in their music simply because I am a TMBG fan. I hope this is not the case for I so love Ween's music and would like to think of them as open minded guys. Maybe they feel frustrated by comparisons, which as I said I think are unfounded, and in fact they certainly do not have to like TMBG at all, this does not bother me. However I consider myself a true Ween fan and I will not accept any other interpretation of my liking of Ween if it involves negative aspersions in regard to my being a TMBG fan of long standing. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: TMBG: about Ween Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:20:40 +0000 (GMT) Heya everyone! When I noticed that people were talking about Ween, (a band I have never heard so I can't comment) I felt I Just Had to mention that I've got a little review of a single of theirs on my wall which describes them as "Like a They Might Be Giants for people with nice smelling friends". I will leave it up to you to make of that what you will. For all the fellow Brits here... I hope you enjoy the strike today and if you have snow, I bet that Keele has more than you have. We do, so there! Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 02:19:35 -0800 From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG @ Portland questions >Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 08:59:57 -0500 (EST) >From: Lawrence P Solomon >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG @ La Luna (Portland, OR) 11/16 [Setlist and review, long] > >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Nov-96 TMBG: TMBG @ La Luna >(Portl.. by Trompe Le Monde@gladston >> INTRO >> RHYTHM >> SECTION > >Did they actually play this or just use it as the introducing the band section? Sorry, this was another setlist note... they literally introduced the rhythm section, Brian Doherty on drums and Graham Maby on bass during this part. This actually happened a bunch, for some reason, but this was the only placed they noted it on the setlist. >>Not a whole lot more to say. I was pleasantly surprised with the abundance >>of non-album songs, and pretty much the overall setlist, even though there >>was only the one pre-Flood song. The only song that I really missed that >>they've been playing lately was "Metal Detector". > >One? And that was Ana Ng, right? See above. Yes, just "Ana Ng". I think I would have almost given up my shirt for them to have played "Rhythm Section Want Ad". >From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) >Subject: TMBG: Oregon show >Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:06:26 -0500 (EST) > >Two questions: >No horns in Oregon? Is this true of all West coast shows? They had >them in the East coast shows, how bizarre, maybe it cost to much to fly >em all out. Nope, no horns. A shame too, but I didn't miss them as much as I thought I would. >Ok actually 3 questions: >Did they play part of Rhythm Section Want Ad?? No. I really didn't mean to imply that, sorry. Kerry | Kerry Biggs | | kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu | | murmur@teleport.com | ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:04:44 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Nit needs help p.. by The Famous M. Klaw@YorkU > a drummer. There is a lot of accordian, no keyboards, no horns and no bass. > However, when side two starts, all of a sudden there is a full band! Maybe > I'm being paranoid, or maybe I'm right...your guess is as good as mine. No, everything is there. The horns show up in Number 3 and Hotel Detective (maybe Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes) and keyboards in Everything Right, Puppet Head, She's an Angel, and maybe a few others. There's bass in almost all of them, but we're all used to Graham Maby playing bass now, and his has a really deep sound to it, whereas Tony Maimone, who was the bassist in 1992, played a much more ordinary bass with a higher, less distinct sound (at least that's the way I hear it) Also keep in mind that there weren't many horns on the first album... very difficult to sequence those and expensive to hire people to play them for a debut record. Another thing to remember is that Linnell played only accordion and baritone sax on the A18 tour. So any keyboard part would be provided by Kurt Hoffman. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: to the Brits Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:24:29 -0500 (EST) I was driving to work and I saw an interesting bumpersticker: It's impossible to be humble if you're British heheh, thought that interesting, Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Joshua is right Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:17:22 -0500 (EST) Actually now that I think about it Joshua is right, new Cds are like $10-12, like at Circuit City. I just rarely buy new CDs (maybe 1 out of 50 CDs are new the rest are used) that I had not been thiking about that. I shoulda bought the used FS I saw 2 days before it came out for $9.99 but I thought being a promo it'd be missing something, I'm foolish, instead I paid $14. Well,today is Tuesday and we all know what that means, the new albums come out! Gotta hope over to the Used Record shop. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:31:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again > > Must have been fake gold on those uniforms. Foil and sabre fencers wear > lames which are incredibly expensive and they're not even gold. Plus, why > would a real gold lame need to be cleaned? Gold dosen't tarnish or > anything, all you'd have to do to clean it would be to rinse it off. > Probably the rest of the uniform needed special care. > Take it easy, > Wubba i don't know, maybe you guys are talking about two different kinds of lame... i always got the impression that gold lame is just a kind of material, colored gold...the shiny, woven, metallic stuff...nola and i used some on our banner of love, and i thought it was gold lame, but it surely wasn't real gold! oh, well...is there someone with "material" knowledge who can help us out....are there really two kinds of lame...? ooh, the questions of the universe, being posed today... --fran(sburgh) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:24:39 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: I am not your sheep. Hello Exquisite Living People, I have an interesting track skipping story: On my VERY COOL CD-player (I really love it), you can tell it to never play songs off of an album, and whenever you play that CD, it remembers not to play the songs you told it to play. So for instance, I can tell it not to play Track X on CD Y and whenever I put CD Y in, even months later, it rem embers not to play song X, even on shuffle. (SONY CDP-745) Okay, well, the ONLY TMBG song I had "deleted" from the CD Player's memory was "Whistling in the Dark" b/c it was the only song by TMBG that I truly did not like. Then, I heard them play it LIVE! at the Tramp's New Year's Eve Concert in 1995/6 and then I un-erased it and now I love all songs again. Yay! By the way, Pet Name is the best song on FS and I would recommend to everyone to listen to it a few more times and open your mind to the possibility that it is a great song. Flansburgh himself said that you have to hear it a few times before you start liking it, for some reason, it's true. Okadokee, I gotta go and take care of my sweet, sweet angel; Lauren is sick and I have to make some tea for her so she gets better. If you send her e-get well cards, maybe she will feel better! (use my e-mail) Bob Plass ----------------------------- "Can you really become left-handed by hitting your head?" - - - Lauren, who asks very interesting questions (YES YOU CAN) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:44:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, MIKe Rose to the rescue wrote: > > I found a short article in a magazine called Impact, from Sept. > 1996, and I thought this little bit might be of interest. > > Milkmen. This bugged them. For one thing, Dean (Mickey Melchiondo) and > Gene (Aaron Freeman) Ween don't much like They Might Be Giants, or any > band they felt were just playing around with the music. As if to correct sorry about the second post, but i had to... i am a bit worried about this comment the most, mike, though you didn't seem to really dwell on it... do they really think TMBG just "plays around" with the music?? that is terrible! it is especially ironic, too...we know that TMBG are serious musicians...yes, they have fun, but i think They definitely take it all very seriously. what is ironic is that there are people who really do play around, like weird al (not to say he's bad!)..he really likes TMBG, as we have discussed in the past, and They seem not to like him, as THEY think he's playing around too much. oh, well, i just thought i would point out the real irony in the whole situation. --fran(sburgh) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: TBTB Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 11:02:11 -0500 (EST) > On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 07:45:26 -0500 Kaylum@aol.com writes: > > >>Anyway, for now, just do like I do and tape TBTB so you never have to > rewind > the cd again!<< > > but woudn't you have to rewind the tape every time you wanted to listen > to it,,,,ummmm? Not if you put it on the tape at every 20 minute point. Or at the beginning and the end 8-) The wonders of tapes. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 12:39:06 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > > i don't know, maybe you guys are talking about two different kinds of lame... > i always got the impression that gold lame is just a kind of material, > colored gold...the shiny, woven, metallic stuff...nola and i used some on > our banner of love, and i thought it was gold lame, but it surely wasn't real > gold! > oh, well...is there someone with "material" knowledge who can help us > out....are there really two kinds of lame...? > ooh, the questions of the universe, being posed today... > --fran(sburgh) > Lame is actually a fabric woven from metallic thread, real metal. The reason modern foil and sabre fencers wear it is because it conducts electricity, which allows score to be kept electrically. If a weapon strikes a portion of the body without lame, the touch is not valid. You can think of lame almost like super, super fine chain mail. Gold lame would be made of gold thread, like the stuff woven into medieval tapestries. A fencing lame is a couple hundred bucks, gold would be outrageously expensive. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:18:44 +0500 From: Carissa Armstrong Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again > >oh, well...is there someone with "material" knowledge who can help us >out....are there really two kinds of lame...? Lame is a fabric that has metallic threads woven with another type of thread usually silk. The gold lame is probably a gold foil and since it is used with regular cloth also it would need to be drycleaned even if it was real gold. As for fencing lames, the only reason they're needed is to conduct electricity when fencing electric foil and to show target area. They run between $100 and $300 as far as I've seen but the reason why they're so expensive is because not to many people fence. Masks, knickers, jackets and plasterons in fencing are just as expensive. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Carissa Armstrong~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ carissa@vt.edu magenta@vt.edu ***Please ignore any mistakes found in this e-mail. I was recalled at birth. Instead of sending me back to have my defects fixed, my parents decided to save the shipping and handling fees so they could help pay for an overpriced college tution.*** THIS ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY CRELM TOOTHPASTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:20:17 -0800 From: Kathleen Jo Faulconer Subject: TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > > On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, 'Honey Bunny' N Olson wrote: the Husky Marching Band at the University of Washington for 3 > > years, and our uniforms are PURPLE with GOLD LAME on the front. I'm > > totally serious. We even have to take 'em to a special dry cleaner > >because there's only one place in town that cleans lame the right way, > >especially the gold kind. Beat that! > > > > Must have been fake gold on those uniforms. Foil and sabre fencers wear > lames which are incredibly expensive and they're not even gold. Plus, why > would a real gold lame need to be cleaned? Gold dosen't tarnish or > anything, all you'd have to do to clean it would be to rinse it off. > Probably the rest of the uniform needed special care. > Take it easy, > Wubba Hi All, I have been working full time for a while and have not been able to catch up on reading the list, let alone responding. Yesterday I read about 200 messages! Okay, about gold lame'....This is a material that is made with gold thread and very fragile and expensive. The 50's and 60's were the heyday for this material (James bond girls wore it and high fashion clothes were made of it, it is thin and drapes well) My business is dolls and because "vintage" Barbie dolls were very into gold lame' and new fashion dolls wear it WE seem to use the words every day!!! The gold on band uniforms could be better described as Gold Leaf (a thin layer of real or fake gold that is rubbed onto a surface and bonds to it.) You see real Gold Leaf on old picture frames, mirrors and Carousel horses manes and tails. The kind on uniforms is fake but also is fragile and can flake off, hence the special dry cleaners. The fencers would wear a MESH like chain-mail to protect their body. This is what was worn in the middle ages with suits of armor. This is also called lame (no ') because that word means the thin plates of armor. Lame' was taken from that word because it was made with thin metal thread. This is what has caused the mix up about gold lame'. We are actually talking about 3 different things with nearly the same name. Sorry to bore you to death with the history lesson! I am an artist, so that's why I know this stuff. TMBG were talking about the material, for sure! Purple Toupee was a twisted history lesson from a childs memory of the 60's, right? Now, I must have missed Nicoles message that included a comment about Theremins! What was that? Theremins are one of my HUGE passions! My husband even made me one but it doesn't work that well. I would give anything for a RCA model from the 30's. Do you guys know about Theremins? Led Zepplin also used them (along with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys). Will the Matt that knows about Theremins, has an Edison dictating machine and is keeping a list of TMBG references e-mail me? I am so sorry that I can't remember which Matt you are! I had just joined the list when we talked and thought I would remember but there are more Matt's than I thought then! Now I hope that your name is even Matt! I have a couple more references that I would like to ask you about before I post them to the list (in case this is common knowledge and I will be mortified :-))! 4 days till we see Them in Hollywood!!! Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:38:35 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > > > > i don't know, maybe you guys are talking about two different kinds of lame... I just want to say is that I wish we could add a little accent mark to "lame" to aid in pronunciation. :) So what is gold-colored fabric that is not woven from real metal called? We always called it lame. I guess we've been betrayed and misled. *sob* -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ one man's dream is another man's sad little toothpick hut --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:54:22 +0500 From: Carissa Armstrong Subject: Re: TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? The >fencers would wear a MESH like chain-mail to protect their body. This is >what was worn in the middle ages with suits of armor. This is also >called lame (no ') because that word means the thin plates of armor. >Lame' was taken from that word because it was made with thin metal >thread. >The lames in fencing are not made of mesh chain metal. It's a woven cloth and isn't needed for protection. That's what the jacket, knickers, and plasteron is for. If it was used for protection, epeeists would be in a lot of trouble because not only do they never use them but their blades are heavier than sabre and foil blades. Lames are only used when fencing electric for competitions or when practicing for a competition: all other times fencers just wear knickers, mask, jacket and plasteron. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Carissa Armstrong~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ carissa@vt.edu magenta@vt.edu ***Please ignore any mistakes found in this e-mail. I was recalled at birth. Instead of sending me back to have my defects fixed, my parents decided to save the shipping and handling fees so they could help pay for an overpriced college tution.*** THIS ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY CRELM TOOTHPASTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:28:46 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > > years, and our uniforms are PURPLE with GOLD LAME on the front. I'm > > totally serious. We even have to take 'em to a special dry cleaner > >because there's only one place in town that cleans lame the right way, > >especially the gold kind. Beat that! > > Must have been fake gold on those uniforms. Foil and sabre fencers wear > lames which are incredibly expensive and they're not even gold. Plus, why > would a real gold lame need to be cleaned? Gold dosen't tarnish or > anything, all you'd have to do to clean it would be to rinse it off. > Probably the rest of the uniform needed special care. Well of course it wasn't *real* gold--like they'd give a bunch of college students real gold uniforms. But it is the lame that needs special cleaning, otherwise they come back nearly stripped of the gold stuff. (In any case, the rest of the uniform would have to be cleaned to get all the mud/sweat/beer out of it.) It's probably because it's really Christmas tree tinsel and they just don't want other cleaners in town to spread the word. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ one man's dream is another man's sad little toothpick hut --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:22:39 -0800 From: Pez Subject: TMBG: Al Vs. They Well I first heard Weird Al's "Everything you know is wrong" about three days ago and I thought that it did sound very Theyish. Especially the horn section and some stranger references in the song. Although Al quite often does songs in the style of other bands ie Dog Eat Dog is in the style of Talking Heads - ("This is not my beautiful stapler"). So I don't think it would be completely off base to say it is directly in the style of They. Also I believe that Dr. Demento an Al are kinda/sorta friends because he is in a lot of Al's videos, etc. So I would say his info would be accurate. Just my .02 pez ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 11:24:07 -0800 From: Chris Ricci Subject: Re: TMBG: Continued Eyesight Controversy... Matthew K Puvogel wrote: >B-side: We're the Replacements > When It Rains It Snows > The Famous Polka<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< > You know, the famous polka is a great drinking song.. Anyone else had any other interesting uses for it? Chris Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 12:07:53 -0800 (PST) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? Kathleen asked about Theremins, an early sound synthesizer. Bob Moog (as in synthesizer) makes updated, stable versions that have a MIDI interface built-in so you can connect it to other musical equipment. There was also a documentary about Mr. Theremin released a few years ago, which sounded very interesting, tumultuous live in Russia, but alas I have not seen it. Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 12:09:05 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: concert dates from rolling stone mag. From: stu-pid@juno.com (Stuart m Oleson) On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 16:19:04 Amy writes: > I don't know if anyone already posted this, but in the new Rolling >Stone, the FS ad comes with a list of dates: >--Amy > Dec 7- Nashville, TN -- 328 > Dec 8- Atlanta, GA -- The Roxy Doesn't any one know when They are coming to Florida?????????????????? StU ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 12:12:10 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: Portland show Well, I was at the Portland show, and it was definetally super cool (NO MOSHING 'TILL THE END!). Just got a copy of a copy of the set-list from a friend, and here's what they played. SEXXY SUBLIMINAL SLEEPING IN THE FLOWERS SPIRALING SHAPE SPIDER!!!!! THE GUITAR SNAIL SHEL NEW YORK CITY OLDER NYQUIL DRIVER ANA ANG WDTSS MAYBE I KNOW THAT SHE'S BEEN CHEATING PET NAME WHISTLING IN THE DARK HOW CAN I SING LIKE A GIRL? ISTANBUL NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN SPY (excelent improv at the end, John L. really got into it) TWISTIN' TILL MY HEAD FALLS OFF (encore) XTC vs. ADAM ANT EXQUISITE DEAD GUY (they brought out two tall mikes, and two ventriloquist dummy heads on stands with strings coming down so hey could pull them to make the mouths move, and they sang through them) JAMES K. POLK (second encore) THEY GOT LOST BIRDHOUSE DIG MY GRAVE lot's of fun for everyone! Liam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 12:19:06 -0800 From: Chris Ricci Subject: TMBG: Looking forward to thrash! A few things that I wanted to tell everyone... TMBG would do a great Thrash song.. I could just see them doing some synth version of "once bitten twice shy" or something.. it would definately rock hard.. heheh.. First album: one vote for big blue butt album.. Any other TICK fans out there? I love that show, I want to get the episodes on tape.. Any ideas? Any tick email group out there? Also for all you people going to the San Diego show on the 24th.. Cub is not opening.. The opening act is Dick Smiley.. I have no understanding of the connection of TMBG to Michael Jackson except of course that it is a very twisted yet creative thing to do to just have that desire to let Michael know that TMBG is much better than his little boy molesting ass is.. As for MJ's lip sync tendencies.. I think thats why he doesn't tour in the US anymore.. I mean along with being a card carrying member of MWLB (Men who love boys), he doesn't actually want to sing.. I mean come on, the guy has got to dance in that Liatard! One more thing, someone posted that you need a "good reason" to dislike SEXXY.. I don't think you need a good reason to dislike anything.. if you think the song sucks... then to you in your perspective, the song sucks.. respect that as an opinion and nothing more.. As for High School, I think there needs to be much less emphasis on what year you are and more on what you are.. Anyway.. enuff said.. Enjoy life! Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:26:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: they are persuaded by the music of the bells. >>oh, other exceptions are when they say stuff, and it's really not a song but rather just a funny bit of conversation, like #13 on misc t that's great the first few times around, but i don't feel bad about skipping it... << I don't skip this one. I actually recite the whole thing with Gloria.. >>83.1% out of 23,000(approx.) said You'll Miss Me was their least favorite. What is wrong with this song. I like it. Am I the only one. << For those who don't like YMM, get a copy of the demo version, or even better yet (IMO)-- the Frank O' Toole show version. It's so incredibly good! Oh, and I have a question for people that listen to Dr. Demento-- is this on any special thing like NPR, or do I have to hunt down a local station that carries it? ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:26:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: no you can't go back to constantinople rotfl! :) I got my station to play TMBG twice in less than an hour! Ha! Beat that! Well, they are 2 Flood songs ("aw, the dj's a Floodie..") but still.. 1: "Do you have any They Might Be Giants" "Uh, I don't think so... not today" .......Birdhouse is played; "Sorry to the person who called up for They MIght Be Giants.." 2, different dj..heh heh: "Do you have any They Might Be Giants" "Um. I think I have that 'Birdhouse' song.. you don't want to hear that 'S-E-X-X-Y' one, do you..?" "No, uh, do you have anything else? Any older stuff?" "I think so..." "Okay, just find something obscure." "Okay!" .....Istanbul is played. ah well. ~sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 96 15:48 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: glockenspiel/I can Hear you It's a very wittily written song, >and is funny also. I always have the "Can you super-size that" part >running through my mind. Hee hee.. Today in class my friends Rocky, Jenny, and I were talking about car alarms & accidently setting them off, and Rocky and I started singing "I Can Hear You." Jenny is starting to get seriously annoyed with us. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 96 16:00 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y > >I saw it!!!!!!!! I was at Meijer (sp?) this weekend, and you know those >things that have a bunch of clips from videos. I took a look at it, and >my friends started pushin their favorites, when one of my friends >non-chalanty pointed out the Factory Showroom album!!! I was exstatic. I found it and pushed it about three times in a row at Wal-Mart. I think I was annoying people, but I didn't care. I was just standing raptly in front of that screen, mouth hanging open in a wide grin of astonishment and delight. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:58:07 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Bugs fall from my thoughts... On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >uh-huh...the '84 demo is very tough to find. I only know of three people > >who have a copy. I had a copy, but my tape player ate it. I'll get > >another, tho. > > What is on this infamous '84 demo? Is "Now That I Have Everything" on it? Seems to be something very, very unofficial. Myke said there was never an official '84 demo...I guess the one I had was either a rarety or recorded later. The songs sound very rough, tho, and it's not because of the more-than-stellar recording quality. > >As far > >as I'm concerned, they're really getting screwed over by Elektra (grumble > >grumble grumble). Ever since the whole Superfueled Freaksicle thing, > >I've felt very uneasy about Elektra... > > Well, we don't *really* have to worry until Linnell starts looking thin and > sickly on stage (sign of an impending breakdown) and Elektra refuses to put > out their newest single, we have nothing to worry about. > > Hey, wait! :) Heh....Elektra has killed so many good artists, it's not even funny. No, I won't list them all here. --Dawg, wonderin' why nobody's corrected his .sig yet..... S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Gold Lame, Theremins!?Which Matt? Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:04:23 -0500 (EST) > Will the Matt that knows about Theremins, has an Edison > dictating machine and is keeping a list of TMBG references e-mail me? I > am so sorry that I can't remember which Matt you are! That would be me (just in case anybody's curious...) m@t ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:03:56 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: i need suggestions Organization: West Virginia Network i am impressed with how many have those shows i am looking for but i need to know how to decide. someone suggested a question about they i think but that would be way to easy if i get no suggestion by tomorrow i will come up with my own system which might be totally biased and unfair. sam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:21:02 -0500 From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: TMBG: TMBG /w Hootie I was wondering if anyone had any boots from thier shows with Hootie? Just a little something I was wondering about. Look at my new and improved tape list at http://www.acrosscom.com/tmbg/ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: i need suggestions Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:29:27 -0500 (EST) > > i am impressed with how many have those shows i am looking for but i need to know > how to decide. someone suggested a question about they i think but that would be > way to easy if i get no suggestion by tomorrow i will come up with my own system > which might be totally biased and unfair. > I think that the obvious choice would be to base it on the most ingenious use of punctuation in an email signature... m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:37:13 -0500 (EST) fransburgh writes (re: ween): > > do they really think TMBG just "plays > around" with the music?? that is terrible! it is especially ironic, > too...we know that TMBG are serious musicians...yes, they have fun, but i > think They definitely take it all very seriously. > Although they project an air of not taking themselves too seriously, they do admittedly take their music deadly seriously. That's why descriptors like "cute, novelty, funny" etc. tend to irk them, in part. They are much more image-conscious than they let on, and they don't like their work to be sold short. m@t ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: fencing Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:38:49 -0500 (EST) > > >oh, well...is there someone with "material" knowledge who can help us > >out....are there really two kinds of lame...? > Lame is a fabric that has metallic threads woven with another type of thread > usually silk. The gold lame is probably a gold foil and since it is used > with regular cloth also it would need to be drycleaned even if it was real > gold. As for fencing lames, the only reason they're needed is to conduct > electricity when fencing electric foil and to show target area. They run > between $100 and $300 as far as I've seen but the reason why they're so > expensive is because not to many people fence. Masks, knickers, jackets and > plasterons in fencing are just as expensive. I used to be a fencer, LONG LIVE FENCERS! It is a lot of fun, but difficult. I saw a tournament once as well and that was pretty nifty. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1985 18:10:16 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Al Vs. They >stapler"). So I don't think it would be completely off base to say it >is directly in the style of They. Also I believe that Dr. Demento an Al >are kinda/sorta friends because he is in a lot of Al's videos, etc. So I >would say his info would be accurate. yeah... Dr Demento wrote the notes for Al's Box Set... He says Al sent in his first song to Dr Demento, and other stuff. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery." ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: fencing From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:19:05 EST On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:38:49 -0500 (EST) mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >I used to be a fencer, LONG LIVE FENCERS! It is a lot of fun, but >difficult. I saw a tournament once as well and that was pretty nifty. >Matt Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 supporting fencing. Vive la fence! What the hell am I saying, I don't speak French. java.man ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: minneapolis From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:34:54 EST On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 11:58:06 -0600 (CST) Chris Bongaarts writes: >In the immortal words of Dragon Lord: > >>>I've got my tickets; far right side, rows D/E. I may play musical >>>chairs with other groups of friends. Looks like they're running >about >>>$24 each via Ticketmaster. >>I know i'm just responding to this now. But I got tickets to D/E far >>right too! maybe we'll see each other?? Wouldn't that be freaky! > >Well, after we got the tickets, I won the Pachyderm thing from Rev105, >which also resulted in my being on the officical guest list for the >show. I'm not sure what that entails, but others in the group seemed >to indicate that they were going to sell their old tickets. Thus, I >might not end up with the rest of my group during the show. We shall >see... I have an extra ticket, of course it's right next to me. ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 19 Nov 96 16:25:34 MST Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff on BMG record club # 1155977 BMG record club now stocks Mono Puff: Unsupervised as 1155977 Join today and get it cheap! (If you haven't bought it already.) ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:49:40 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's do the time warp again >> >> Must have been fake gold on those uniforms. Foil and sabre fencers wear >> lames which are incredibly expensive and they're not even gold. Plus, why >> would a real gold lame need to be cleaned? Gold dosen't tarnish or >> anything, all you'd have to do to clean it would be to rinse it off. >> Probably the rest of the uniform needed special care. >> Take it easy, >> Wubba > >i don't know, maybe you guys are talking about two different kinds of lame... >i always got the impression that gold lame is just a kind of material, >colored gold...the shiny, woven, metallic stuff...nola and i used some on >our banner of love, and i thought it was gold lame, but it surely wasn't real >gold! >oh, well...is there someone with "material" knowledge who can help us >out....are there really two kinds of lame...? >ooh, the questions of the universe, being posed today... >--fran(sburgh) To my understanding, Lame is what was used on TMBG's suits during Conan. ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:59:20 -0500 Subject: TMBG: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lam=E9?= That's the first bit. To make an accent, just hit option+e+e if you wanna go the other way hit option+~+e that's for macs of couirse. All you windows and unix people just smack around your alt and f keys a bit. Seconddddddddleeee My airwaves carried 3 they songs in the span of an hour. Two of them on the same station Particle man, NYC and then at a special request by me (I spoke like a girl and told them my name was Alexis Nelson, who does have a birthday today) they played puppet head. I thought that was real cool of them to do. Thirdleee I ferget. I had something tho.. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:13:56 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Parties before the Milwaukee and Chicago shows! and lame Hello 41- Good news in Giantville! There will be a party before the show at the Rave in Milwaukee at the Safehouse. The Safehouse is an ultra-groovy restaurant right near the Rave with a "spy" them. The doors to the show will open at 7:00. Everybody is encouraged to get there at about 5:00-5:30. Please email me if you are going, and don't forget to wear your Hello nametag, so we know who you are! For the Chicago show, it's smiple. Right next to the Riveria (Broadway and Lawrence) is a pancake/waffle house. We will meet there at 4:30/5:00 PM. Doors open at 6:00, so we can all get in line and get good spots to see Linnell stare at us. Lame- From my experiences, it is pretty cheap. I went to Ben Franklin one day and was looking around and found some. I almost had a bow tie made of it, but though better of it. It would have been a few bucks. *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on your saddle. -Kinky Friedman Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Wierd Al vs They From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:15:03 EST On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 17:29:08 -0600 (CST) jeremy pokela writes: >Hmmmmmm, have to say this, Wierd Al inspired they if any inspiration >took >place. I believe the song mentioned was Everything you know is wrong, >If >you look at old Wierd Al, he has at least one song like this on all >his >albums from the 80's, Random songs lots of lyrics. If any influencing >took place I would have to say that it was Wierd Al who influenced >They >Might be Giants no the other way around. >"Who the hell are you? To tell me what to do?" > -Bad Religion Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought: Okay, Mr. Guy. I have some correcting to do here. 1. Everything You Know Is Wrong is an obvious TMBG style parody (the title, the evil twin, the disembodied head of Col. Sanders, the alien abduction, St. Peter, etc.). 2. The Great Weird One himself, when asked if EYKIW was a TMBG parody, replied in the following manner: "Good answer! Thanks for playing the game." (Meaning: yes, you idiot.) 3. "Random songs lots of lyrics" is referring to Weird Al's "polkas," which are on each of his albums. He takes a bunch of current hits (at least one, in the case of Bohemian Polka, or many, in his Alternative Polka), changes the tempo, and puts them to accordion music. The Alternative Polka is the polka on the album EYKIW is on. 4. There may have been some cross-influence. Both JL and Weird Al play accordion, and they've both been played on Dr. Demento (Weird Al got his start there, TMBG only recently according to a current thread here). And now the flame is over now, and now the flame is over now, and now the flame is over now, the flame is over now. java.man Tim Lloyd ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:36:30 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: ok here is my question Organization: West Virginia Network if you have two of tapes i am looking for and can answer what 3 different arrangements has sting sung with and i have three specific answers i am looking for then if i get the second poster it is yours first to mail me wins sam ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:39:27 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: if no answer Organization: West Virginia Network if no answer by my next log-on the question changes so if you dont get this then tough sam ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:10:07 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: update Organization: West Virginia Network someone came close but not specifically the answer i want now one is very obvious the other two are older "groups" in fact perhaps i should phrase with what groups or otherwise has he sung with you guys have an hour and 45 minutes sam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:27:36 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: TMBG: Lame thingie I don't know what Lame, Lame' or Leaf is. I just thought I would post that the last thing I ever expected to be reading was twelve posts on Gold Lame. Wow. Not that that is bad or anything. I just thought I would post that since I haven't posted in a few days (I think). Well, that's me... SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well, you never know what you're gonna find in your letter box tomorow, because the little bird never tells you anything you wanna know, she's your best friend she's a sparrow. Now _that's_ pathetic! A bird for a best friend?! And she won't even tell you what's in the letter box! Hahahaha Hahaha Hahahaha! *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:27:10 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (cyberguy) Subject: TMBG: Bird Shirt reactions: I got two reactions when I wore my Bird Shirt today. 1. Hey, that's a pretty cool shirt, it looks like that shark is biting the turtle's ass. Wanna trade? (the guy saying this to me was wearing a Nine Inch Nails shirt at the time) 2. Hey Dan, that shirt's pretty demented....COOL! My brother was also trying to make fun of me,(he listens to Dream Theater) he's always saying that TMBG stands for They Might Blow Goats (my evil twin is a real big pain in the ass). If he had an e-mail address, I'd give it away so you people can bomb him. :) The problem was that everybody liked the shirt because it was "demented". It would've helped if they new that THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS ARE THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!! One of my friends new I was wearing the shirt, he liked the shirt because of the bird. I do, too. The Bird shirt is a pretty cool shirt! Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:31:24 -0500 (EST) > > This looks like the second half of the show from 11/11/92 at the Cabaret > Metro, Chicago. The first half of the show is where They do the entire > first album in order. On the tape I have, the first album is done all on > the first side of the tape. The second side starts like you said, with Spin > The Dial and continues with the set list you posted. This boot has always > bothered me, though. It seems like side one and side two are two different > show. It sounds like the Johns are doing the Pink Album by themselves, with > a drummer. There is a lot of accordian, no keyboards, no horns and no bass. > However, when side two starts, all of a sudden there is a full band! Maybe > I'm being paranoid, or maybe I'm right...your guess is as good as mine. > > Alex > > To the very best of my knowledge, the tape is legit. I got it from Andy W. in November 1992 just after he taped it... I think if you listen more carefully you will hear the full band. They did stick very closely to the album arrangements, but Chess Piece Face, for instance, should have horns. I'll double-check to make sure, though. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:51:06 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Token Back To Brooklyn ACK! I accidentally attached my brother's sig to my last post! This apology is mostly directed to Herne, whom I addressed it mainly to, and who I'm sure wasn't confused but was probably amused. Okay, the point of this post: I didn't know this until just a while ago, but the answer to "Is there really a hidden track on the Factory Showroom CD? How can I find it?" is on the TMBG FAQ. So all those asking the question can check it out. Sorry if Mr. Relph has already notified us, and if I'm just repeating him. ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:52:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: About Skipping songs. Hey you guys, here's a thought on skipping tracks: DON'T DO IT! You never know what song will grow on you if you hear it a few more times. Maybe the tune isn't the most appealing, but try listening to the words. Maybe you'll find some absolutely cool message or idea in the lyrics. For example, I didn't like "We want a rock", but when I listened to it a few more times, I realized it was about how stupid trends are. Also, the idea of prosthetic foreheads is very cool. Cool message, not my favorite tune. And, TMBG has relatively short songs. You can bear 2 - 3 mins of a song you don't like. For the record, all my TMBG except for the Self-Titled is on CD. Don't skip. ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:56:03 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: you have about 5 minutes Organization: West Virginia Network ill give ya hint no two they have all had gold albums and the princess bride sam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:59:27 -0600 From: "D.P. Gumby" Subject: TMBG: xtcvaa Hi all! Just had what is commonly referred to as a "moment of clarity" about XTCVAA. It's the ultimate non sequitur! Why, you ask? Well, there seems to be general agreement that the song is not about XTC and Adam Ant per se, but about the genres of '80's music they represent. Now, if there's anything that can be said about '80's music (WARNING: Broad Generalization ahead), in hindsight, it's that it's all kinda bland. (Flame away, XTC fans!) So its only natural that any musical representation of a conflict between genres of bland music, is gonna be bland itself! In other words, They _intentionally_ wrote a song that's not up to Their usual standards, as a mockery of bland '80's pop. They're brilliant! BTW, I love the song - now what does that say about me? ;) Well, it all makes perfect sense to ME.... -- Jim B. "They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle, The dead only quickly decay." -The Gothic Archies ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:04:58 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: new question Organization: West Virginia Network Dire straights (mark knophler did the soundtrack for Princess bride) Sting Police i never said sting couldnt go it alone easier now who is the inspiration for "two princes" next time i check mail is deadline which ought to be about 18 hours sam ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: xtcvaa Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:06:58 -0500 (EST) Ther's only one fatal flaw (and believe me this is completely objective even though I love lots of 80s music) in your theory. TMBG have said time after time that they *LOVE* XTC's music and think it is fantastic. Now how could they write about that if they think XTC is in no way bland, but, in complete contrast, totally-not bland, brilliant even? > > Hi all! > > Just had what is commonly referred to as a "moment of clarity" > about XTCVAA. It's the ultimate non sequitur! Why, you ask? Well, > there seems to be general agreement that the song is not about XTC and > Adam Ant per se, but about the genres of '80's music they represent. > Now, if there's anything that can be said about '80's music (WARNING: > Broad Generalization ahead), in hindsight, it's that it's all kinda > bland. (Flame away, XTC fans!) So its only natural that any musical > representation of a conflict between genres of bland music, is gonna be > bland itself! In other words, They _intentionally_ wrote a song that's > not up to Their usual standards, as a mockery of bland '80's pop. > They're brilliant! BTW, I love the song - now what does that say about > me? ;) > > Well, it all makes perfect sense to ME.... > > -- > Jim B. > > "They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like > souffle, > The dead only quickly decay." > -The Gothic Archies > -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:27:38 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: About Skipping songs. On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 GuavaBoy9@aol.com wrote: > Hey you guys, here's a thought on skipping tracks: > > DON'T DO IT! Don't Do It, No No It's not not what it seems, no no it's not not what it seems. Anyway... > You never know what song will grow on you if you hear it a few more times. > Maybe the tune isn't the most appealing, but try listening to the words. > Maybe you'll find some absolutely cool message or idea in the lyrics. For This happened to me with S-E-X-X-Y. Until TODAY I hated the song, yes, the only TMBG song that I did more than just dislike. Then I got the lyrics off of tmbg.org, read along to the song (well, actually sung along, but nobody is supposed to know that :), and came out thinking, WOW, what a cool little diddy. Listened to it two or three more times, and found that I actually liked it! It's not my favorite, but it's not my LEAST favorite either. It sorta happend with all of FS when I first got, though, also... SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well, you never know what you're gonna find in your letter box tomorow, because the little bird never tells you anything you wanna know, she's your best friend she's a sparrow. Now _that's_ pathetic! A bird for a best friend?! And she won't even tell you what's in the letter box! Hahahaha Hahaha Hahahaha! *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:50:01 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, MIKe Rose to the rescue wrote: > "When Ween's alterno-rock "hit" Push The Little Daisies splattered > them all over the scene, they became darlings of the sort of fans who > worship clever rock concept bands like They Might Be Giants and the Dead > Milkmen. This bugged them. For one thing, Dean (Mickey Melchiondo) and > Gene (Aaron Freeman) Ween don't much like They Might Be Giants, or any > band they felt were just playing around with the music. As if to correct > this, they appeared as themselves in the doomed SNL spinoff It's Pat and > released the eclectic album Chocolate and Cheese to try and lose some of > the bandwagon jumpers. No such luck." > --written by Paul Myers > Now, I'm not a fan of Ween like Mike is, but I don't think its fair that they see their fans as merely "bandwagon jumpers." Its interesting too that so many people think of Them as a concept band- if anyone is, I agree its Weird Al. His music is an obvious concept, that of parody, and his other songs are intentionally humourous. Most people don't look beyond the weird lyrics of Their music to see why lies beneath, so think of them as a concept band, but if one were to really listen, one could see that there is more behind Their music than there is Weird Al's. And I think this is what Ween see in Them-and I can see why they want to break away from that. They have the same concerns as the Johns in that they want their music to be seen as more than a joke and be taken seriously. It is too bad that they don't see this- this is one thing that really bugs me about other's reactions to Them- so many people see Them and think, "Oh, they're soo funny!", and granted, this is what I kind of thought before I really got into them. It's kind of strange that Ween made a bid to lose bandwagon fans by being in an SNL film...he he he. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Devil Bunny! I snort the nose, Lucifer! Banana! Banana!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Satanic Debbie Boone in _Bloom County_ **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:23:31 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: fencing People wrote: > >oh, well...is there someone with "material" knowledge who can help us > >out....are there really two kinds of lame...? > Lame is a fabric that has metallic threads woven with another type of thread > usually silk. The gold lame is probably a gold foil and since it is used > with regular cloth also it would need to be drycleaned even if it was real > gold. As for fencing lames, the only reason they're needed is to conduct > electricity when fencing electric foil and to show target area. They run > between $100 and $300 as far as I've seen but the reason why they're so > expensive is because not to many people fence. Masks, knickers, jackets and > plasterons in fencing are just as expensive. I used to be a fencer, LONG LIVE FENCERS! It is a lot of fun, but difficult. I saw a tournament once as well and that was pretty nifty. Matt I've just gotten into fencing as of last thursday...I LOVE IT! anyone know of where I can catch a tournie? Toledo/cleveland area... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:21:56 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: Fingertips Hey , I thought this was kind of cool, so I thought I should tell you all. Yesterday, me and my friends were up untill 11:00 editing an english video on my friends computer. (he's a mac guy) Anyway, we have one scene where the actor pulls a lit match out of his mouth (he puts it in his mouth and we run the scene backwards) then he drops it on a pile of gasoline that was poured on a lantern because it wouldn't light. And the whole time we play #17 on Apollo 18, the Everything is Catching on Fire one. We even have shots from nuclear test scenes following it. It's really cool, and the song adds quite a bit. Okay, I'm done, you can all delete this message now. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:39:20 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Green magic marker >Well, I've heard some not so nice things about Ryko, too... Mainly that they >didn't promote "Unsupervised" very well. As much as Elektra leaves a bad >taste in my indie rock mouth, I don't think Ryko is the answer either. For one thing -- Unsupervised is not really designed to appeal to the general public as much as TMBG fans -- it's certainly not the most mainstream of albums, and the single choice wasn't made for Top 40. They took out 1/4 page ads in Rolling Stone and Spin, got a video on MTV, and put the single out on time. I thought they did a more than sufficient promo job. And look at all the good things about Ryko -- they've got the promotional power of a major but the attitude of an indie; they do *great* jobs on CD re-releases; and they've got some well-respected back catalogs (including Costello and Bowie). >I heard something like that, where it could send a signal to stop or >something, but the cd would stop before the data ended (so you could put a >secret track after the stop command). I don't know what i'm talking about. >If anyone knows about this please share your wisdom with us. Vaguely. Basically, what that would involve would be putting an "end CD" command or whatever it's called, then *after* it putting an extra data track. I would guess that would work -- the only problem being that it would be pretty obvious, since the extra track would show up when you started the CD. >83.1% out of 23,000(approx.) said You'll Miss Me was their least >favorite. > >What is wrong with this song. I like it. Am I the only one. Like I said, these people have obviously never heard the demo. I believe my namesake was going to put a copy of it up on his webpage -- Josh, what's happenin'? >Ok, I know I'm gonna sound stupid, but how DO you play TBTB? I've tried >everything I can think of. :^? It's in the FAQ. >Yeah, I was going to complain earlier. I think They should go back to >good old Bar/None. Here is my argument: Little thing: Bar/None is *tiny*. Elektra may not be supplying the kind of push they could, but matters on Bar/None wouldn't be any better. This is a *tiny* little indie label you're talking about, and compared to most indie artists TMBG is a great big band. You want to be unable to find TMBG albums when they come out? You want to have them disappear into the nether mists? If TMBG *were* to go Indie again, it would really have to be Ryko -- I really don't think a band as "large" as TMBG can successfully return. Josh, let's stick together 'cause we're number eight /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:48:08 -0500 (EST) From: Lambrakos Subject: Re: TMBG: fencing >I used to be a fencer, LONG LIVE FENCERS! It is a lot of fun, but >difficult. I saw a tournament once as well and that was pretty nifty. >Matt > >I've just gotten into fencing as of last thursday...I LOVE IT! >anyone know of where I can catch a tournie? Toledo/cleveland area... > Neat! I am an on again, off again fencer, and have been for about three or four years. It's so nice to see the different threads develop in this newsgroup. I guess you get a diverse enough and large enough group of people together, and there are bound to be a few who are into the same sort of things you are. Wow. It really is a small world(girl) after all. (Sorry, had to put some content in, I just feel like I sold out though. [sigh]) Will. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:01:35 -0600 From: "D.P. Gumby" Subject: Re: TMBG: xtcvaa Matthew James wrote: > > Ther's only one fatal flaw (and believe me this is completely objective > even though I love lots of 80s music) in your theory. TMBG have said > time after time that they *LOVE* XTC's music and think it is fantastic. > Now how could they write about that if they think XTC is in no way > bland, but, in complete contrast, totally-not bland, brilliant even? (Sigh) This is what happens when you allow people to glue their posters.... Of COURSE They're going to SAY they worship XTC and all that! I doubt They consider XTC brilliant - it is possible, however, that they respect XTC for transcending the category of Beatle-based pop. But there's no point in pissing off XTC if the song's not really about them, but a type of music they represent. Maybe They prefer Beatle-based pop to New Romantic, but it's certainly the best of a bad lot. I'm blathering here - suffice to say I now believe they set out to write a lame, cheesy song, but They were only partially successful. The clincher to me is the cheeseball glam-rock guitar. Everyone here has been slamming the player (I'm not impressed either) but They realized that cheeseball guitar is a key element of (yawn) '80's music. Jump in, please, anybody - it's getting late, and I'm starting to confuse myself here... -- Jim B. "They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle, The dead only quickly decay." -The Gothic Archies ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:50:53 -0500 From: kendra melrose Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Track zero Every time I try, I can't get to the track. What's up?! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:19:20 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: About Skipping songs. > You never know what song will grow on you if you hear it a few more times. > Maybe the tune isn't the most appealing, but try listening to the words. > Maybe you'll find some absolutely cool message or idea in the lyrics... You know, many times it's not just a song, but a band in general, that will grow on you. (I understand this is off TMBG soil, but who cares? Nobody really stays on topic anyways...) For example, I picked up a Best of the Velvet Underground tape for $3 when I heard REM's version of "Pale Blue Eyes". I listened to the tape, hated most of it, listened to it after my stereo broke and it was the only tape I had because my brother took my others, and listened to it again and again and again...and suddenly realized that I was hooked. Now, they're one of my favorite bands. So damn straight...don't skip tracks on CDs...don't come late to a concert so you miss the opening band(s)...don't change the channel just because a certain song came on (unless it's Alanis or Pearl Jam or Stone Temple Pilots or Blues Traveler or Hootie...I'll let you change it then...). Okay, that's it. I'm outta here... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "We can be happy underground...." ---Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:31:56 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: TMBG: Dr.D >In other news, the Dr. Demento radio show played "I Can Hear You" last week, >and I while I missed it this week, I just read a recap of the show, and he >played "Exquisite Dead Guy"! I heard "Till My Head Falls Off" on Dr.D's L.A. show last night. It'll be on the syndicated show in 2 weeks. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 01:55:20 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Nit needs help p.. by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > you will hear the full band. They did stick very closely to the album > arrangements, but Chess Piece Face, for instance, should have horns. Um. It doesn't have horns on the album, why should it have them in concert? I think the biggest deviation from the album is I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, most of which was sampled and couldn't be played live. (although I'm sure they'd play a really cool version of it now... if only they realized there were still fans of the older stuff out there) ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 01:56:36 -0500 Subject: TMBG: New Chicago Info!!! Hello 41- I found this in the newsgroup just now!!! <> This was supposedly on Q101. Yaaaaay. I may not be able to make it though, so somebody better tape it! *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* I'm not crabby, I'm pensive. -Little Man Tate Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 01:57:08 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Nit needs help placing a show At 21:31 11/19/96 -0500, Matthew Coon wrote: >To the very best of my knowledge, the tape is legit. I got it from Andy W. >in November 1992 just after he taped it... I think if you listen more carefully >you will hear the full band. They did stick very closely to the album >arrangements, but Chess Piece Face, for instance, should have horns. >I'll double-check to make sure, though. After listening to this tape again, I have found a few more things that bother me. First of all, near the end of side one, just before They play The Day, Linnell is clearly heard saying that this is the end of the show, thanks for coming, etc...In fact, he says that this was a 40 minute long show! Second, when side two starts up, there is a very short and quick sound bite of Flans (I think) saying something like "we're gonna do a song that we've never played before...". This sound bite is abruptly cut off, and Spin The Dial begins, almost in 'mid-Dial'. The bit of Flans sounds like the continuation of the Debut album show from the first side...maybe an encore, or something, and the Spin The Dial seems really out of place. I'm now almost positive that these are two different shows, and will remain firm in my belief until I see some hard evidence to the contrary. Of course, none of this really matters, since a bootleg is a bootleg, and doesn't have to be 100% accurate all the time. Alex ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-318 ******************************