Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-32 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 32 Thursday, 1 February 1996 Today's Topics: If I were a giant Correction Fingertips I just keep on posting! 02:tmbg-list Digest #2-27 Why Must I Be Sad???? Moral Dilemma Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too persephone Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: resurrect Alice Re: could it be true? Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Re: name for... Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: don't eat metal. Re: Correction Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Nashville? Re: Why Must I Be Sad???? Re: Moral Dilemma Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too WDTSS Re: I just keep on posting! I need... HELLO Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-31 Re: ana ng interp. name for... Re: Correction Re: I just keep on posting! Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) Re: WDTSS Re: I just keep on posting! (none) continuiNG Results so far... Re: resurrect Alice Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) Re: Re: you know.. Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 21:16:21 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: If I were a giant I think Aims' idea of doing verious parts of fingertips is great, but another idea just hit me in the face like a kamikhaze salmon: why not just cover any song you feel like: I wont because I'm musically impaired, but I mean, it may be very cool... ..plus...I would kill to hear Matt James sing 'Someone Keeps Moving My Chair' okay bye Michael Carr ****************************************** "I think animal testing is a terrible idea; They get all nervous and give you the wrong answers." --A bit of Fry And Laurie ****************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 06:48:06 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Correction Correction--as yelled by that guy from AOL, Whirlpool was not by the Meat Puppets. Kill me. BTW, whoever wrote the conversation (which I can really agree with--BUSH SUCKS!) was kind of wrong. I've had that conversation with other people about Nine Inch Nails and, occasionally, Weezer, but most people I talk to have heard only Particle Man, Istanbul and, *maybe* Snail Shell. Since they don't play anything good on the radio here anyway in North Carolina, most people just buy the albums of things they have heard. Everyone either hasn't heard of TMBG says something like (lauging) "yeah, they're funny". The only person I've met who doesn't like TMBG does not because he had to dance to Istanbul in 4th grade and has hated them with a vengance ever since. Excusable..=) Like my new signature? "But happiness can't see that love is sad."=================================== =========================================-->TMBG, They'll Need A Crane........ DEATH TO SANTA'S BEARD!!!!==================================================== ==============================================>Noixe, AKA Riser Boy, AKA Andy. http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/Noixep.htm================== == ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 06:57:49 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Fingertips YES YES YES YES! I previously thought I was going to stay away from the whole "We Wanna Be Giants, Too!" thing, but I've often considered many of the songs from Fingertips quite finishable. Guess I'll have to learn the trombone part for "Sleeping in the Flowers..." BTW, anyone ever notice that Fingertips is just a gag on flipping through a radio dial and not finding anything worth listening to? Check out my interpretation on http://www.tmbg.org. (Yr welcome, Jon) "But happiness can't see that love is sad."=================================== =========================================-->TMBG, They'll Need A Crane........ DEATH TO SANTA'S BEARD!!!!==================================================== ==============================================>Noixe, AKA Riser Boy, AKA Andy. http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/Noixep.htm================== == ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 07:01:44 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: I just keep on posting! Una mas cosa: On how many albums does They use a drum machine for thier rhythm section? Is it just the first one? And is it more correct to say: They (TMBG) is or They are? "But happiness can't see that love is sad."=================================== =========================================-->TMBG, They'll Need A Crane........ DEATH TO SANTA'S BEARD!!!!==================================================== ==============================================>Noixe, AKA Riser Boy, AKA Andy. http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/Noixep.htm================== == ------------------------------ From: JAY.BROTZ@bm.medtechnet.com (JAY BROTZ) Date: 31 Jan 96 03:57:36 -0500 Subject: 02:tmbg-list Digest #2-27 Organization: Med TechNet >I believe a saphire bullet of pure love is a bullet used by a manically >depressed person who decides to kill themself and rid the world of their >presence as a sign of love. BLACKHAWK > Have you ever seen the Ren & Stimpy where Ren is sad so Stimpy makes a helmet that makes him happy (hence the "Happy Helmet")? I think the sapphire bullet of pure love is comaprable to this. j -- | Internet: JAY.BROTZ@bm.medtechnet.com | Fidonet: JAY BROTZ 1:260/95 | | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:09:08 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Why Must I Be Sad???? Is it only me, or is anyone else in dire need of a new "fix"? I've listened to the same albums over and over and over and over and over (You get the idea.) again. When SenSurround came out I was covered with joy that there was something new from Them. I'm bummed....... has anyone heard anything NEW concerning Them??? Album-wise, gimmick-wise, anything at all???? Money-I-O Money-I-A grd ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 07:33:29 MST Subject: Moral Dilemma This promotional Ana Ng pressing that you are coveting: Does it have unreleased stuff, like interviews, or different versions of the songs. If so, I recommend making a tape of it for your own use. (I realize that this was not one of your original options.) Or do you want it just as a unique collector's item, perhaps for the photos on the cover? If so, just ask the person in authority if you can have it, or trade for it. Stealing it would be a sin. Of course, so is coveting ... ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:37:14 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too I normally am more creative, I have about 20 recording projects going right now, I just thought I may as well do this too. You can be creative and cover songs at the same time, just so you do other stuff too and don't rely entirely on covers for your fame, like that one band that covered a song for the movie Pulp Fiction and became a Buzz Clip on MtV because of it. Oh, sorry about the excessive quoting, it was an accident. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > > > On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Joey Riehle wrote: > > > So what you're saying is that this tape is only going to have three songs > > on it? Why don't you just let people record whatever song they want and > > just make a compilitation of it all? > > > > > > Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) > > > > > > On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > > > > Okay. Here's the idea, stolen from other people on the list. If you > > > play an instrument, sing, or beat things with sticks, pay attention. > > > > > > Introducing We Wanna Be Giants, Too > > > the soon to be made tape of TMBG songs as covered by a bunch of people on > > > this list. Here's how it works: > > > > > > #1 - VOTE for three songs that you'd like to cover by Them. E'mail it > > > directly to lebo@locke.ccil.org before 2/12/96 > > > > > > #2 - after I post the top three voted songs, strap on your headphones, > > > turn on your tape recorder, and tape yourself playing any of the songs. > > > > > > #3 - send the tape you made to > > > > > > Mike Lebovitz > > > PO Box 1066 > > > Frazer, PA 19355 > > > > > > #4 - I'll combine everything together, mix it down, etc. and mail you the > > > finished product whenever I finish.... so include a return address. > > > > > > and that'll be it. Vote, tape, mail, wait. Four simple steps. It'll be > > > cool, I swear. > > > > > > > > > In order to aviod conflicts in key signatures and tempos, listen > > > to the song in question as you record. > > > > > > questions, comments, lawsuits... lebo@locke.ccil.org > > > > > > > > > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a > great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative > than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? > > erk > (gaucho@main.com) > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:40:40 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Yeah, you could write your own song and record it, but I don't see what it'd have to do with They Might Be Giants. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:42:25 -0600 (CST) From: Oodles of Noodles Subject: persephone after hearing of the first debate of the john henry girl naming from my good pal rabidchild.paulswan@utexas.edu, my vote was (not on the list, ya know), is, and always will be for naming her THE JOHN HENRY GIRL!!!!! i am from texas, not so strange, and not All of us think she should be Alice....where did Alice come from? bleah!!! (whaddaya mean bleahhh? i don't like spam) moving to the sun is the way coolest song... Vote JOHN HENRY GIRL amie longenbaugh, from arlington tx. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:47:57 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Hey, that's a neat idea, I wish you would've said that in your original message (the one about the separate tracks) that's a lot better than the whole band thing, take a look at the Stone Free CD made for Hendrix, I mean Jimmy is dead and all the cover bands are famous and it still sucked goats. Anyway, I'd like to do vocals if that's possible, as I can't really play any instruments, aside from in an avant-garde fashion. What exactly are you usingto compile all this? Do you have an 8-track or what? May as well vote: She's An Angel Nyqu...Er..Um.. AKA Driver Mr. Klaw I really don't care that much, so if you want to throw out my votes go ahead, the only one I sort of care about is She's An Angel, of all the songs I've played my friends (mainly Punk fans) of TMBG, that's been the one they all like most. Pretty strange punks huh, or maybe it's just a magic song. I've never met anyone who doesn't like it. Let me know if you don't. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, 'Nette Frost wrote: > > > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a > > great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative > > than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? > > > > erk > > (gaucho@main.com) > > > > > I believe the idea of listening to the cd is just to get tempos and keys > accurate: the original idea was for each to cover one track (piano, > accordian, vocals, etc.), mail them in, and mix the tracks together so > that you have all these people who have never even been in the same room > together performing the song as one. This is also why there are only > three or four songs; too many and we may not get all of the tracks to > finish any of them! > > However, the idea of individual groups covering or performing their own > interp of one of the songs would be cool, too. Perhaps what we want here, > is TWO tapes; one with the mix of everyone from across the list, another > with cover bands (a "tribute" tape?) > > I've said too much already, > 'Nette > > > ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' > "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ > -------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- > "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- > ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- > Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu > `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:59:44 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: resurrect Alice That's a stupid idea. That would mean that if I were to call her, say, Dumb Head, and if someone got mad, then her name would then be Dumb Head? Why doesn't everyone just call her what they want? Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:01:56 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: could it be true? Perhaps they knew that WDTSS was going to be the next single they were going to put out so they did that other song (I've never heard it) as sort of a lead up or neat gimick like backwards talking. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:07:28 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! THEFT! Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:10:18 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: name for... Uh, how about TMBGPAGE or AOLTMBPAGE. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:11:19 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too Yes it does, thank you much. I like the idea, now that you actually told me what it was. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:16:21 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: don't eat metal. Yay! Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:18:56 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: Correction Then who wrote Whirlpool? Because I heard it on a The Meat Puppets CD. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:15:03 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Riehle Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too AHHHHHHHHHH! What have I done! I like the different track idea better...poopy. Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 11:48:43 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! > >AHEM! THE BIG BLUE DOG ALBUM, YOU MEAN!!!!!!!! > > > um, let's not start that again. it's worse than the ana ng thread. let's > debate something other than that, like whether or not microwave poopcorn > picks up radiant energy from the microwave it's cooked in, or something like > that. > > paul > > Yeah its bad enough to watch reruns on TV let alone having reruns in you mail box. (or maybe even a remake) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 11:29:23 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Nashville? Organization: Meharry Medical College Anybody know if/when They might be returning to Nashville TN for a show? Please email me privately. Tnx. ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"A monument Nashville TN USA | Of granite sent hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| A beam into my eye."--TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 12:50:08 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Why Must I Be Sad???? > Is it only me, or is anyone else in dire > need of a new "fix"? I've listened to the same > albums over and over and over and over and over > (You get the idea.) again. When SenSurround > came out I was covered with joy that there was > something new from Them. I'm bummed....... > has anyone heard anything NEW concerning Them??? > Album-wise, gimmick-wise, anything at all???? I dunno. Freaksickle is supposted to come out between now and never. And its an even year so they SHOULD release a new album. Other than that you can find tapes of shows and stuff that other people have. If not, you can start your own band and write your own songs and pretend your They. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 12:52:04 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Moral Dilemma > This promotional Ana Ng pressing that you are coveting: > > Does it have unreleased stuff, like interviews, or different > versions of the songs. > > If so, I recommend making a tape of it for your own use. > (I realize that this was not one of your original options.) > > Or do you want it just as a unique collector's item, > perhaps for the photos on the cover? > > If so, just ask the person in authority if you can have > it, or trade for it. > > Stealing it would be a sin. Of course, so is coveting ... > Well she could, but a copy just ins't the same as having it. Like you said ask someone of authourty, and if they say no, propersition them :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 12:56:01 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: We Wanna Be Giants, Too > > > dude ....its gonna suck. face it. what you'll end up with is a > > > great big ripoff/fake out of TMBG...why not get a little more creative > > > than mimicking the song while you listen to the CD? > > > > > I believe the idea of listening to the cd is just to get tempos and keys > > accurate: the original idea was for each to cover one track (piano, > > accordian, vocals, etc.), mail them in, and mix the tracks together so > > that you have all these people who have never even been in the same room > > together performing the song as one. This is also why there are only > > three or four songs; too many and we may not get all of the tracks to > > finish any of them! In that case how 'bout do it like this... get together teams of 2 to 10 people who have 4 track recorders and treat each song like a story that threads/changes from each teller to the next. The first person lays down a track or 2 of an agreed upon song in whatever way he/she likes, then sends the product to maestro #2 who does the same and so on. Bouncing tracks you can get up to 10 tracks on a 4 track recorder, you're getting a bunch of people together on one project, and there's a big element of creativity involved. I'd be into that. And anyone who doesn't have/have access to a 4-track...well.....they're fun and pretty inexpensive compared to a ferrari... erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 14:10:51 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: WDTSS > ok, so here's what i was wondering. on the single for the guitar there's > the song moving to the sun. then, one of the very next releases from Them > was the single for why does the sun shine. so, do you think that they > played moving to the sun and got really excited about the whole idea of the > sun, then sought out and performed WDTSS? No. Someone I know sang WDTSS to me (the first verse or two at least) about a year before WDTSS came out, and told me she had heard TMBG perform it about 2 years before. So They performed it live 3 years before They recorded it, and at least a year before Apollo 18. Note: apparantly They performed it with Christine Lavin at that show, an she first used the word 'estrogen' in the list of elements. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 14:48:39 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: I just keep on posting! They used drum machines on all their major albums up to and including Apollo 18. It's possible that They might have also used it a little intermixed with real drumming on JH. (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Andy Friedman wrote: > Una mas cosa: > On how many albums does They use a drum machine for thier rhythm section? > Is it just the first one? > > And is it more correct to say: > They (TMBG) is > or > They are? > "But happiness can't see that love is sad."=================================== > =========================================-->TMBG, They'll Need A Crane........ > DEATH TO SANTA'S BEARD!!!!==================================================== > ==============================================>Noixe, AKA Riser Boy, AKA Andy. > http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/!noixepa.ge/Noixep.htm================== > == > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 15:21:47 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: I need... Hey, somebody help me...I need TmBg videos. I'm starved for them. Haven't seen the video for Don't Let's Start since it came out. Email me if you know of some good sources (including yourself if applicable). Thanks, Wubba P.S. If anybody's got any Dead Milkmen videos I'd be happy to hear from you too. P.P.S. In fact even if you don't know what a video is I'd be happy to hear from you. (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 09:54:11 +1300 From: sjp6@waikato.ac.nz (Sam Pearson) Subject: HELLO Yeah well, sorry to bring up this beaten thread again but I was wondering how long it has taken people to receive stuff from the Hello Club after they have been charged for it. [yeah I know things are going slow as of late due to the Hello baby and all that so don't bother about flaming me]. This applies mostly to those outside of the US as I am also wondering if the package will be coming by air or by sea, but if you live over there and feel like you really need to reply, I won't hold it against you. Honest. Sam. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 17:03:20 -0500 (EST) From: "Near, Eric" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-31 Organization: Ironton Jr Hi School (Ohio) Uh... Ok, this is my first post on here. Well, anyway, I recently listened to "Istanbul" and got to thinking... I heard that on a Dr. Demento CD once, but am not sure who originally wrote it. I think "Birdhouse in Your Soul" is cool, as well as "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love". I _love_ every single song on "Apollo 18". BTW, probably everyone here knows this, but Longines Symphonette means elevator music. ____________________________________________________________________ / \ i My story's infinite-like the Longines Symphonette... i i -Birdhouse in your Soul i i i \____________________________________________________________________/ Eric Near ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 17:14:03 -0500 Subject: Re: ana ng interp. >as for the "i don't want the world...." it is the "bridge" of the song.. >or it might just be another memory jumbled in with the visions of Ana and the >fair.. I read in the Info Club newsletter that that came from a discussion "we (presumably J&J) once had about money"... so, well, that could almost hint that the entire song is just a collaboration of a lot of things that J or J was thinking about when he wrote the song... but that's probably wrong... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 17:14:08 -0500 Subject: name for... so far I've gotten these: HallOfHeds HallOHeads TMBGPAGE AOLTMBPAGE RabidWorld TMBLooking as names for the AOL screenname of my forthcoming TMBG Web*Site still searching... *as oposed to the webPAGE I've already got at this adress http://members.aol.com/ruprecht76/giant.htm... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 17:13:59 -0500 Subject: Re: Correction last year in school there was this guy... a real punk, the only real punk I know (the rest just pretend) he told me when TMBG was gonna be on TBS (House o' Blues) and sang "Istanbul was Constantinople" (just that line) when I mentioned TMBG... so he had only heard that song... but he was one of the coolest people I ever met... too bad he flunked... heh heh heh ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 17:13:34 -0500 Subject: Re: I just keep on posting! they use drum machines up until JH but "the Two Johns Album" (that's what Im' calling it) was the only one to have all of the tracks with no real drums, since there is one on Lincoln (lie still), several on Flood, and countless ones on Apollo 18 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:15:09 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) >Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for >refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake >(punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor >fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace >and in the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back >To Skull girl, Alice. >>No! It was a lot of work to organize the voting not even six months ago, >>and you just can't annull it by your say-so, you would have to run a whole >>new campaign allowing all people from the list a say-so, and probably even >>the newsgroup like I did...trust me, it is not a project that is fun to >>take on, and I(As well as others)am now a devoted Persephonite, so I doubt >>that you could get it changed by majority campaign...especially with Paul >>on the horizon. Allmighty Rabid Child...what we've got here is a failure to communicate, or more precisely, a failure to pay attention to what I wrote. I do not want to annul your work, I do not care about my say-so, I do not desire Persephone renamed Alice. I DO want the currently unnamed BACK TO SKULL GIRL dubbed Alice. For those unfamiliar with the cover of BTS...the young featured fem is an adorable Asian girl of Persephone's age. My point was... since many list members are still bitter over Alice's loss, we should demonstrate our Big Tent reputation (we ARE followers of Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love) by turning the angst within their tortured souls into yet another beautiful name for a beautiful girl...(now for a list-wide group hug)... FRANK BLACK'S NEW ALBUM IS ONE SALE! Buy it now or I'll be forced to reveal his real name... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 19:37:21 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: WDTSS >No. Someone I know sang WDTSS to me (the first verse or two at least) >about a year before WDTSS came out, and told me she had heard TMBG >perform it about 2 years before. > > So They performed it live 3 years before They recorded it, and at >least a year before Apollo 18. Actually, the song was with them from the beginning. They performed it at least as early as 1987, because it's on the Frank O'Toole show they did in that year. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 19:27:40 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: I just keep on posting! I agree that the first album was the only one with completely artificial drums and the others had some real live guest drummers- I was just too lazy to type it. (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > they use drum machines up until JH but "the Two Johns Album" (that's what Im' > calling it) was the only one to have all of the tracks with no real drums, > since there is one on Lincoln (lie still), several on Flood, and countless > ones on Apollo 18 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 18:04:49 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) >> Ok, about a week ago, some poor TMBG fan was seriously flamed for >> refering to Persephone as Alice. Granted, this is a serious mistake >> (punishable by death in Texas), yet one which should not leave the poor >> fem shedding electronic tears...So, in the interests of world peace >> and in >> the pursuit of a kindler, gentler TMBG list, I propose we name the Back >> To Skull girl, Alice. Yes, the John Henry Girl is definitely Persephone...it was destined to be so. Alice does sound like a good name for the Back to Skull girl though. I noticed some ppl that replied to this message were under the assumption that we were still talking about the JH girl... She is persephone all the way. Back to Skull has a different, less scary girl. I vote for Alice. Anyone want to collect votes? The Eternal TMBG freak, Nathan Todd (ntodd@emba.uvm.edu) Student, University of Vermont *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* "[Humans] never know anything. They don't have enough years in their little lives to come to an understanding of anything at all. And yet they think they understand. From earliest childhood, they delude themselves into thinking they comprehend the world, while all that's really going on is that they've got some primitive assumptions and prejudices. As they get older they learn a more elevated vocabulary in which to express their mindless pseudo-knowledge and bully other people into accepting their prejudices as if they were truth, but it all amounts to the same thing. Individually, human beings are all dolts." -From Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 19:33:30 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: continuiNG Someone told me that if your sink is right on the equator, water dosen't spiral at all, it goes straight down! Just a little fun-fact. (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 21:26:02 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Results so far... As of right now, these are the results of the voting: With 2 votes each - AKA Driver She's an Angel Cowtown Every other one, at one vote each - Dead Todler Highway Ant James K. Polk Welcome to the Jungle Rhythm Section Want Ad End of the Tour ...Puppethead Birdhouse... The Statue Got Me High The Biggest One You'll Miss Me The theme song for the 50 states Turn Around ...Nuts at Christmas Time They'll Need a Crane Letterbox Ana Ng Mr. Claw Fingertips Particle Man Send votes to lebo@locke.ccil.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:31:20 -0800 From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: resurrect Alice I think I voted for Moira, which I still think is a pretty darn good name. Moira! It rolls off the tongue! Mmoiraaaaaaa! -Nicole (aka Nicole the great aka driver) (who _would_ do the We Wanna Be Giants thing, except that she has not a shred of musical talent. Lemme know how it turns out.) -- They're on to you, and heavily armed/ With a leaf and a kazoo..."--Blues Traveler Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole/ ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 20:33:55 -0700 Subject: Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) >Allmighty Rabid Child...what we've got here is a failure to >communicate, or more precisely, >a failure to pay attention to what I wrote. I do not want to annul your >work, I do not care about my say-so, I do not desire Persephone >renamed Alice. I DO want the currently unnamed BACK TO SKULL GIRL dubbed >Alice. For those unfamiliar with the cover of BTS...the young featured >fem is an adorable Asian girl of Persephone's age. My point was... >since many list members are still bitter over Alice's loss, we should >demonstrate our Big Tent reputation (we ARE followers of Brooklyn's >Ambassadors of Love) by turning the angst within their tortured souls >into yet another beautiful name for a beautiful girl...(now for a >list-wide group hug)... Oh, I guess, well then, hmmm, in that case, since, like, y'know... Wouldn't that be confusing, for her that is, Having more than one name as her first one, but if you wish to spread love and happiness, I suppose... -Rabid Child (Okay, nickname her what you want, but She'll forever be in my heart as Persephone.) P.S. >FRANK BLACK'S NEW ALBUM IS ONE SALE! Buy it now or I'll be forced to >reveal his real name... um...could it be Frank Black? (Who is buried in Grant's tomb?) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 21:15:49 -0700 Subject: Re: >Yes, the John Henry Girl is definitely Persephone...it was destined to be >so. Alice does sound like a good name for the Back to Skull girl though. I >noticed some ppl that replied to this message were under the assumption that >we were still talking about the JH girl... She is persephone all the way. >Back to Skull has a different, less scary girl. I vote for Alice. Anyone >want to collect votes? DOH! I myself made the stupid mistake at not having looked at BTS and JH side by side for a while, so I didn't realise that they were different ladies... Yes, I do support Alice for the BTS girl. -Rabid Child (Founder of tangent debates 8o) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:06:36 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: you know.. On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Joey Riehle wrote: > I think you must be mistaken, the show is called "The Real > World" because it is, this is stuff that actually happens in real life! I don't know about you, but when I move out I don't expect to live in a big house like that. They have some cool ass stuff, nobody's who has their jobs gets to live in such a rad place. *------------------------------------------------------------- |garthi@teleport.com | "These go up to 11" -Nigel Tuffnel| |----------------------| ------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 23:54:48 -0800 (PST) > > THEFT! > > Someone, anyone, or is it just Joe (jr10899@cedarnet.org) > > > Huh? (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-32 *****************************