Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-320 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 320 Friday, 22 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA TMBG: Warfield show! Re: TMBG: TMBG on Larry Sanders =) Re: TMBG: Re: Caberet Metro Bootleg TMBG: SMOASP, Larry Sanders, etc. Re: TMBG: Re: Caberet Metro Bootleg TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA TMBG: Larry Sanders Show TMBG: talk.com TMBG: talk.com Re: TMBG: talk.com TMBG: Glam Rock TMBG: Mono Puff FAQ v. 1.0 Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: Nitpicky stuff about 2 songs Re: TMBG: Glam Rock (none) Re: TMBG: Glam Rock TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Re: TMBG: Ana NG Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA TMBG: "what is a freak flag?" TMBG: tmbg dancin' Re: TMBG: Re: Nitpicky stuff about 2 songs Re: TMBG: "what is a freak flag?" Re: TMBG: Re: Nitpicky stuff about 2 songs Re: TMBG: Duh Re: TMBG: Ana NG TMBG: Chatting w/ Real Audio Re: TMBG: Glam Rock Re: TMBG: Glam Rock TMBG: repittion Re: TMBG: Glam Rock TMBG: Theories Re: TMBG: meet the Johns TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA TMBG: Bela Fleck TMBG: I'm odd TMBG: Wyatt Glodell TMBG: Not really relevant, but common interest prevails TMBG: CLARISSA EXPLAINS IT ALL! TMBG: TMBGTicket runaround TMBG: Linnell was staring at me the WHOLE time! (long) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-319 TMBG: RA Chat Re: TMBG: Glam Rock TMBG: win95 TMBG:a bunch of related things.... TMBG: Sorry...Matts? TMBG: the poster contest an extension TMBG: Clarissa TMBG: TMBG at El Rey (none) Re: TMBG: Clarissa Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 23:09:13 -0800 From: Dave and/or Carol Gooch Organization: People That Think Judgemental People Suck Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Yossarian wrote: > > > If you guys want to like these songs, I don't care. There is no theory > behind why people don't like these songs. It has nothing to do with > strings, age, genre, previous Tmbg or any thing else but one thing: They > don't like it. Plain and simple, the songs are not good to some people. > Some people like them. I can respect your opinion if you will grant me > the same courtesy. > > Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, personally I like SEXXY & XTCVAA (although the latter isn't one of my favorite TMBG songs) and that's all. No explanation of why I like them, no defending my reasons for liking them, I just do. If someone likes them or not, I don't think they should have to defend their opinion because someone can't figure out why they like or dislike the songs. So In essence what I'm saying is that I agree with the last 3 sentences of quoted material. -- Dave Gooch -- "Sure, I could've stayed in the past...could've even been king. But in my own way, I am king. Hail to the King baby." -- Ash, Army of Darkness ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 01:18:10 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA > If you guys want to like these songs, I don't care. There is no theory > behind why people don't like these songs. It has nothing to do with > strings, age, genre, previous Tmbg or any thing else but one thing: They > don't like it. Plain and simple, the songs are not good to some people. > some people like them. I can respect your opinion if you will grant me > the same courtesy. > Well, I'm going to have to agree with Sr. Yossarian on this one. Admittedly, the boy (or girl...I'm not sure of the gender...sorry Yossarian) could have been a little more, shall we say, polite about it, but the point's still made. We really don't need a reason to like music...if we like it, we do, and if we don't, we don't. That's the wonder of owning an entire album. You don't like a song, you skip it. You don't like an album, you don't buy it. It's simple. I'm also going to have to point out that every opinion on here is just that....an opinion. We can't judge them. We can't flame the hell out of someone just because we disagree (well, we can, but we shouldn't...). Just settle down, kiddies (apologies to all those older than me...). We can all play nice here... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Your eyes are burning holes through me..." --REM ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 01:42:12 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Warfield show! Hidey-ho, everyone, I just got back from the Warfield show, and booooyyy am I psyched! This was my first They show AND my first rock concert, and it was so incredibly wonderful that I am wandering around with this goofy grin on my face... First things first. I got to San Francisco about 6 and hopped into line. I was about 50 people back and therefore got a great spot in the theater (thanks to everyone who gave me advice!) where I had a clear, unobstructed view of the stage and fairly calm surroundings. I also managed to meet up with Matt in Sacramento (hi Matt!) and his wife Nikki (sp?), by the simple expedient of hollering "ANYONE HERE FROM THE LIST?" and waiting for an answer. For those of you I didn't see: I was the person waving the large white banner with "Nicole's Magical Freak Flag" on one side and "I Am Not Your Broom" on the other. And if you heard anyone yell "I Am Not Your Broom!", that was either me or my traveling companion. I will leave it to someone else to post the exact setlist, because I don't remember it exactly. Next show I'm getting as close to the stage as bodily possible. :) Being slighly far away, as I was, was fun, but maybe being in the thick of it is fun, too. I have never seen so many TMBG t-shirts in one place! I no longer feel alone! I talked to a guy who had the happy purple guy shirt on; he said that he gets the "Hey, is that the Monopoly guy?" comment, too. --nicole the wonder nerd who is exhausted and hoarse and deaf because of this concert and it was worth every second of it ten times over. *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 07:50:58 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Larry Sanders =) The Larry Sanders show was VERY annoying. I normally detest and denounce that show, but I watched it for TMBG. And what do I get but 5 seconds of showing them playing SEXXY, the rest talked over by 'Hank.' I really hate that show. It's supposed to be a talk show, but it's scripted. What a horrible idea. And its focus every week is on the predicaments or goings-on of one of three pathetic, old, whiny, sexually repressed white men. (Those meaning Hank, Larry and Arthur I think) The one saving (?) grace of the show was Scott Thompson (a la Kids In The Hall) told Larry "Good band, eh!" That was a neat kind of inside comment. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Caberet Metro Bootleg Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 08:39:12 -0500 (EST) > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Re: Caberet > Metr.. by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > > They played two First-Album shows in Chicago in 1992. One was at the end of > > June (one of two or three different consecutive nights) and the other was > > in November. > > Actually, the two shows were 10/22/92 and 11/11/92. (if there were only > two - there may have been more) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes, since I was at the one in June. > I have a tape of a show from 10/18 when > they announced that on the 22nd they'd be playing the first album > straight through. These were part of an 8 day string of TMBG concerts > at the Variety Arts Theater in NYC, Well, if it was in New York, how would it count as one of the two Chicago first album shows I was discussing? Or do I misread you? If so, why would they announce a Chicago show in New York? m@t ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:08:41 -0500 Subject: TMBG: SMOASP, Larry Sanders, etc. >Was the song 'Guitar Was The Case' from the Mono Puff: >Unsupervised CD inspired by the band Shadowy Men On A >Shadowy Planet? Oh my god! :D You've made *my* day mentioning SMOASP! :) It's very seldom people other than KITHers know 'bout them. Oooh anyone who doesn't know 'em, check them out, check them totally out. If you like the intros to Hall of Heads or They'll Need A Crane, then you'll like. :) >I just finished watching the Larry Sanders show. Although it >was funny, the TMBG performance was rather weak. 5/6 of it >was covered by dialouge and they sang the around the clock >line before every verse. No strings, 2 horns, nothing. I hope >they never go back. Funny show though Yeah. i was afraid somea you guys would be upset about this. On Larry Sanders, the guests barely get much air time at all. That was such a great episode though! Espcially when Scott said "Great band, eh?" :D ROTFL! How great is that! I taped it if any of you guys miss the repeats. >I am 16. I don't care about underlying musical bullshit or all >that stuff you guys crap about. It's like reading some Rolling >Stone review. Well here's a tip. It's spelled D-E-L-E-T-E. Just because you don't want to read certain posts, doesn't mean everyone else shares your opinions.... >All I care about is if a song has a good tune, a lot of emotoin >behind it, and intelligent lyrics. Well you're obviously wasting your time here. This is a list to talk about ALL THINGS TMBG! Anything remotely TMBG. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:16:32 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Caberet Metro Bootleg Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Re: Caberet Metro.. by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > Well, if it was in New York, how would it count as one of the two Chicago > first album shows I was discussing? Or do I misread you? Sorry... I misread your post. I didn't see the "Chicago" part, and assumed you meant two first album shows overall. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:39:34 -0500 (EST) > SEXXY: the tune is annoying. I don't care how many strings it has. I > don't care if it sounds like old TMBG. (I love Pet Name and it sounds > nothing like "old" TMBG) The bottom line is that the tune is annoying. > The chorus is repetitive. It's not fun to sing with. I could go on. I > don't hate SEXXY, I just can't get carried away with it. It's boring > and uninteresting. Wow, I'd hate to see a song you really hated! ;) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:50:06 -0500 (EST) > Yossarian wrote: > > > > > > If you guys want to like these songs, I don't care. There is no theory > > behind why people don't like these songs. It has nothing to do with > > strings, age, genre, previous Tmbg or any thing else but one thing: They > > don't like it. Plain and simple, the songs are not good to some people. > > Some people like them. I can respect your opinion if you will grant me > > the same courtesy. > > > > > > Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, personally I like SEXXY & > XTCVAA (although the latter isn't one of my favorite TMBG songs) and > that's all. No explanation of why I like them, no defending my reasons > for liking them, I just do. If someone likes them or not, I don't think > they should have to defend their opinion because someone can't figure > out why they like or dislike the songs. So In essence what I'm saying is > that I agree with the last 3 sentences of quoted material. -- Dave > Gooch I think that people shouldn't have to defend their opinion of a song or an album (or whatever), I think people , in fact, aren't doing this, but merely like to state why they see a certain song (album) as good and like to express their ideas. This is good discussion. But sometimes people will go off on someone's opinion. Attacking a person for stating something contrary to a fact is different, but when stating an opinion, such as "I like SEXXY for so and so reason" is pretty ludicrous. As Yossarian said, "I can respect your opinion if you will grant me the same courtesy." Now hearing someone's opinion and then stating your own opinion (which differs from there's) is most likely not an attacking flame and is understandable. So this can be seen as a fine line between an appropriate (seemingly) harsh response and an outright attack on an opinion. But in the end, people should formulate intelligent, thought-out responses. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 08:49:31 MST Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders Show Okay, was TMBG really on Larry Sanders last night? Did anybody tape it? If someone can make a VHS Hi-Fi copy of it on High Grade video tape on SP speed, I'll be happy to make a trade! ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: talk.com Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:02:13 -0500 (EST) Flans announced that the next single will probably be Until My Head Falls Off. He also said that SEXXY was popular with the Australians (or something like that) and that there probably would be a video in the works for that. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: talk.com Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 13:51:38 -0500 (EST) I listened to the talk.com thing and Flans said indeed that they were writing brand-spanking new material specifically for the 4 February Irving Plaza NYC shows they are doing every Friday of that month. I will be up there for at least 1 show if not 2 of them. Also, he said in March they'll be going to Australia, Japan, and Europe and then on back to the states in April and May. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 14:17:50 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: talk.com On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Also, he said in March they'll be going to Australia, Japan, and Europe > and then on back to the states in April and May. Then he said that he didn't know when They are coming to Totonot, or if They are coming to Totonot at all! What are we, lepers?? Alex ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 21 Nov 1996 14:53:24 EST Subject: TMBG: Glam Rock Tsk tsk... apparently some of you dont know the meaning of glam-rock... glam-rock was a little style of music, synonymous with "Hair Metal"... where the music sucked but they had big hair and dressed like ladies... Look at Poision, Warrant, Ratt, etc... those were glam rock... there are NO, repeat NO glam-rock bands still around. There werent any in the 70s either... the end. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:20:40 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff FAQ v. 1.0 This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools. Send mail to mime@docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info. --8323328-1269059078-848607640=:720 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII This is v. 1.0 of the Mono Puff Frequently Asked Questions. Anything you'd like to add, just drop me a note. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh --8323328-1269059078-848607640=:720 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; name="Mono_Puff.FAQ" Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64 Content-ID: Content-Description: TW9ubyBQdWZmIEZyZXF1ZW50bHkgQXNrZWQgUXVlc3Rpb25zIHYuIDEuMA0K X19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fXw0KDQpUaGlzIGRvY3VtZW50IGlz IG1haW50YWluZWQgYnkgU2VhbiBCZXJnZXJvbiAoYmx1ZWRhd2dAdG1iZy5v cmcpDQoNCkRvY3VtZW50IENvbnRyaWJ1dG9yczoNCg0KU2VhbiBCZXJnZXJv biAoYmx1ZWRhd2dAdG1iZy5vcmcpDQpQaGlsIEJpY2tlbCAoc3RvbXBib3hA dG1iZy5vcmcpDQpfX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fDQoNCjEtMS4J V2hhdCBNb25vIFB1ZmY/DQoxLTIuCVdobyBhcmUgTW9ubyBQdWZmPw0KMS0y LjEJV2hvIHdlcmUgSGVsbG8gdGhlIEJhbmQ/DQoxLTMuIAlXaGVyZSBjYW4g SSBnZXQgdGhlaXIgYWxidW1zPw0KMS00LglXaG8gaXMgUm9sZiBDb25hbnQ/ DQoxLTUuCURvZXMgTW9ubyBQdWZmIGhhdmUgYW55IE11c2ljIFZpZGVvcz8N Cg0KMS0xLglROiAgV2hhdCBpcyBNb25vIFB1ZmY/DQoJDQoJQTogIE1vbm8g UHVmZiBpcyBhIGJhbmQgZnJvbSBOZXcgWW9yayBDaXR5LCBzcGVjaWFsaXpp bmcgaW4NCglvYnNjdXJlIG11c2ljLiAgTW9ubyBQdWZmIGlzIGFuIG91dGdy b3d0aCBvZiB0aGUgSGVsbG8gQ0Qgb2YgdGhlIE1vbnRoDQoJQ2x1YiwgYW5k IHdhcyBmb3JtZXJseSBrbm93biBhcyBIZWxsbyB0aGUgQmFuZC4NCg0KMS0y LglROiAgV2hvIGFyZSBNb25vIFB1ZmY/DQoNCglBOiAgTW9ubyBQdWZmIGFy ZToNCg0KCQlKb2huIEZsYW5zYnVyZ2gsIFZvY2FsIGFuZCBHdWl0YXINCgkJ SGFsIENyYWdpbiwgQmFzcw0KCQlTdGV2ZSBDYWxob29uLCBEcnVtcw0KCQlF cmljIFNjaGVybWVyaG9ybiwgR3VpdGFyDQoJCU1pa2UgVmlvbGEsIEd1aXRh ciBhbmQgVm9jYWxzDQoNCjEtMi4xICAgUTogIFdobyBXZXJlIEhlbGxvIHRo ZSBCYW5kPw0KDQoJQTogIEhlbGxvIHRoZSBCYW5kIHdlcmU6DQoNCgkJUm9s ZiBDb25hbnQsIGRpcmVjdG9yDQoJCUpvc2h1YSBGcmllZA0KDQoxLTMuCVE6 ICBXaGVyZSBjYW4gSSBnZXQgdGhlaXIgYWxidW1zPw0KDQoJQTogIE1vbm8g UHVmZiBoYXMgb25lIGZ1bGwgbGVuZ3RoIGFsYnVtLCBVbnN1cGVydmlzZWQs IGF2YWlsYWJsZQ0KCW9uIFJ5a29kaXNjLiAgVGhlIG9yaWdpbmFsICJIZWxs byB0aGUgQmFuZCIgYW5kICJNb25vIFB1ZmYiIEVQJ3MgYXJlDQoJYXZhaWxh YmxlIGZyb20gSGVsbG8gQ0Qgb2YgdGhlIE1vbnRoICgxLTgwMC1IZWxsby00 MSkuICAiRGV2aWwiIEVQIGlzDQoJYXZhaWxhYmxlIG9uIFJ5a29kaXNjLiAg VGhlIHJlbGVhc2VzIG9uIFJ5a29kaXNjIGFyZSBhdmFpbGFibGUgaW4gbW9z dA0KCW11c2ljIHN0b3Jlcy4NCg0KMS00LglROiAgV2hvIGlzIFJvbGYgQ29u YW50Pw0KDQoJQTogIFJvbGYgQ29uYW50LCBiYW5kbGVhZGVyIG9mIEhlbGxv IHRoZSBCYW5kLCBhbmQgcGhvdG9ncmFwaGVyDQoJZm9yIHRoZSAiRGV2aWwi IEVQLCBpcyBKb2huIENvbmFudCBGbGFuc2J1cmdoLg0KDQoxLTUuCVE6ICBE b2VzIE1vbm8gUHVmZiBoYXZlIGFueSBtdXNpYyB2aWRlb3M/DQoNCglBOiAg QSB2aWRlbyB3YXMgbWFkZSBmb3IgIlRoZSBEZXZpbCBXZW50IERvd24gdG8g TmV3cG9ydCIuICBJdA0KCWZlYXR1cmVzIGEgYmx1ZSBhaWxlbiB3YW5kZXJp bmcgYXJvdW5kIE5ldyBZb3JrIENpdHkuICBKb2huIEZsYW5zYnVyZ2gNCgl3 ZWFycyBhIGZha2UgYmVhcmQgaW4gdGhlIHZpZGVvLiAgVGhlIGJhbmRtZW1i ZXJzIGluIHRoZSB2aWRlbyBhcmU6DQoJRmxhbnNidXJnaCwgQ3JhZ2luLCBD YWxob29uLCBhbmQgVmlvbGEuDQpfX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19f X19fDQoNCkRpc3RyaWJ1dGlvbjoNCg0KCVRNQkctTGlzdEB0bWJnLm9yZw0K CWFsdC5tdXNpYy50bWJnDQoJd3d3Lm1vbm9wdWZmLmNvbQ0K --8323328-1269059078-848607640=:720-- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Ween vs. TMBG From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:32:10 EST On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:50:01 -0500 (EST) Queen Sneepy writes: >Now, I'm not a fan of Ween like Mike is, but I don't think its fair that >they see their fans as merely "bandwagon jumpers." Its interesting too >that so many people think of Them as a concept band- if anyone is, I >agree its Weird Al. His music is an obvious concept, that of parody, and >his other songs are intentionally humourous. Most people don't look >beyond the weird lyrics of Their music to see why lies beneath, so think >of them as a concept band I don't really see exactly what the point is here. As far as I see it, Ween is a band based on the concept of style parody (or perhaps "genre parody" would be a better term, whatever it is, they seem to be poking fun at some group/genre with each song). Sure, I like 'em, but there's not really much that Ween does that could be considered really serious (or non-inhalant influenced, for that mattered). If Ween isn't into style parody, then someone please explain to me 12 Golden Country Greats. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:59:43 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Nitpicky stuff about 2 songs On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Yossarian wrote: ** The Ringing of the Bells. Nope, it didn't get its name from the poem, it got its name from the play, 'The Bells Are Ringing'. Anyone know what the play's about? Probably has nothing to do with the song. Anyone ever read the Heinlein book, Destination Moon? Again, probably tangential at best. ** The chorus is repetitive. Uhhhhhhhh. Beavis? Isn't a chorus supposed to be um.... doesn't the word even mean something like 'sing again' in Latin, or something? (I'm probably totally wrong). The definition of the word chorus is 'a part of a song or hymn recurring at intervals'. What's your point? RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:50:20 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock On 21 Nov 1996 WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu wrote: > Tsk tsk... apparently some of you dont know the meaning of > glam-rock... glam-rock was a little style of music, synonymous with > "Hair Metal"... where the music sucked but they had big hair and dressed > like ladies... Look at Poision, Warrant, Ratt, etc... those were glam > rock... there are NO, repeat NO glam-rock bands still around. There > werent any in the 70s either... the end. > Really? I didn't think glam-rock was synonymous with Hair-Metal at all. When I think glam-rock, I think 70s, like especially Gary Glitter. (maybe even David Bowie, I don't know) -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:06:29 -0500 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") I need to unsubscrbibe for the week I hope this is sufficient. ############################################################################ ##"For the first time I looked twords the uncertain future with a sense of hope, because if a machine can learn the value of a human life than perhaps we can to. -Linda Hamaltin (T2) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:12:00 EST On 21 Nov 1996 14:53:24 EST WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu writes: >there are NO, repeat NO glam-rock bands still around. There >werent any in the 70s either... the end. Who and what exactly was Gary Glitter then? *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:12:00 EST On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 01:18:10 -0600 (CST) Bill Tatalovich writes: >Well, I'm going to have to agree with Sr. Yossarian on this one. >Admittedly, the boy (or girl...I'm not sure of the gender...sorry >Yossarian) could have been a little more, shall we say, polite about it, >but the point's still made. We really don't need a reason to like >music...if we like it, we do, and if we don't, we don't. That's the >wonder of owning an entire album. You don't like a song, you skip it. >You don't like an album, you don't buy it. It's simple. I'm also going >to have to point out that every opinion on here is just that....an >opinion. We can't judge them. We can't flame the hell out of someone >just because we disagree (well, we can, but we shouldn't...). Just >settle down, kiddies (apologies to all those older than me...). We can >all play nice here... The point here is not that you have to have a reason for disliking a song, the point is that if you are going to whine and complain to this list about disliking a song, you better have some sort of supporting information as to why you dislike it. The same exact thing goes fror people who do like a song. _No one_ wants to hear how much you love a song unless you've got some sort of original reason for loving it to share with the list. Example: I don't like Till My Head Falls Off. The lyrics may be interesting or even "classic TMBG" but the music is awful. The music is unoriginal, boring guitar-driven (drivel) rock. It might be half worth my while if given entirely new music and shortened to about half its current length. For a vast majority of the songs on FS there is nothing new after the two minute mark. S~E~X~X~Y is actually the only song on the album that doesn't have to break into a rock out ending and this is because they actually wrote 5 minutes worth of song. Pull out FS, listen to your beloved Metal Detector and TIll My Head Falls Off, I'd like to know if there is any progression what-so-ever (and Eric's solos DO NOT count) after the two minute mark. As far as I'm concerned, they could have just copied the first part of Metal Detector on to the end of it. So, in closing, tell us why you don't like a song. No one cares that you don't like a song if you have nothing to tell us. No one likes a whiner. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Ana NG From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:21:33 EST On Wed, 20 Nov 96 16:35:45 EST Mark Krakauer writes: >On Nov 16, 3:09am, Ununoctium U. Ununoctium wrote: >> Subject: Re: TMBG: Ana NG >> On Sat, 16 Nov 1996 02:41:25 +0000 Heather Tinkler >> writes: >> >> >I believe the line," I don't want the world, I just want your half." >> >isn't from a bridge, but a talk that They had about money, no less. >> >> Originally, yes it was from a conversation They once had about >> money, but dedicated fans have since painted it on bridges. > > According to John (I forget which one) somewhere around Boulder Ohio >they actually saw the line painted on a bridge and used it in the song. Since >then fans have done the rest. No, actually, it was put on bridges because of the song, here is a direct quote from the Winter 95 INFO Bulletin: " L) We were driving from Boulder to the airport in Denver last year when we encountered the same thing [I don't want the world...] on another bridge. John and I don't condone acts of vandalism but we took it as a friendly compliment. The phrase in the song came out of a conversation we once had about money. " *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:36:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA > current length. For a vast majority of the songs on FS there is nothing > new after the two minute mark. S~E~X~X~Y is actually the only song on > the album that doesn't have to break into a rock out ending and this is > because they actually wrote 5 minutes worth of song. Pull out FS, listen > to your beloved Metal Detector and TIll My Head Falls Off, I'd like to > know if there is any progression what-so-ever (and Eric's solos DO NOT > count) after the two minute mark. As far as I'm concerned, they could > have just copied the first part of Metal Detector on to the end of it. well...i just want to say something to this... it's perfectly fine if one doesn't like a song for certain reasons... but i don't think this should be a sole reason for disliking a song (i.e. because it repeats itself after 2 minutes...). note! *i realize you are not necessarily saying this!* i just want to point out that, well, if the song is good for the first two minutes, what's wrong with reiterating a bit? just look at classical symphonies, where the main musical subject is usually restated in certain ways throughout each movement of the piece. (as seen in tschaikovsky's 5th, in which his main theme is fate. the same motive returns throughout the symphony, though in various forms, symbolizing the omnipresence of fate)... not to say TMBG is exactly like classical music, but do you understand my point? if i love the musical material in the first two minutes, and it repeats itself in the final two minutes, i'll just sit back and enjoy...it's bound not to be exact repetition, anyway. :) (and what about so many "classical" pieces that have repeats written into the music by the composer, should we take those out, becasue it's too boring to hear the same material again?) ahh, well, just my viewpoint, and yes, if i didn't like a song, then i would mind if it were repeated, but if it's awesome...enjoy it! thanks for listening! --fran(sburgh) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:57:12 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: "what is a freak flag?" >> 2.)What exactly is a freak flag? > >A symbolistic representation of a person's willingness to say "HEY! I'm a >FREAK! I'm ME! SO THERE! HA! _I_ won't succumb to your social MORES or >your IDEAS because I'm DIFFERENT, and I don't care what you think about that!" >(although usually not that bitter - don't know where that came from) ;) Actually, it's funny that you ask that question. "How can I sing like a girl?" has become my personal anthem because a) I sing like a girl, b) I'm generally reffered to as a "freak" (see above) and c) I'm into color guard (for those who don't know, that means I spin a flag). I think a "freak flag," for me anyway, is the equivalent of a coat-of-arms; it displays my personality. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Let's get those missiles aimed to destroy the universe!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 14:01:13 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: tmbg dancin' >And speaking of TMBG(wait a sec, this is a TMBG list, isn't it?) I've >been asked to help provide cool music for a party this saturday. What >TMBG songs are easily danceable and will give the other people at the >party a chance to listen to some good TMBG other than Birdhouse and >Istanbul? My dorm had a dance a few weeks ago, and I (no fool, I) seized the opportunity to get as much TMBG played as possible. We were dancin' to: Ana Ng Cowtown Particle Man The Famous Polka (I even got the dj to yell out, "EVERYBODY POLKA!!") New York City Till My Head Falls Off WDTSS? (fast) (strangely enough, this one got a tepid reception at best.) and a splendid time was had by all, myself included. I believe TMBG was played more often than any other single group. --nicole the wonder nerd was I the only one doing the Ana Ng dance at the Warfield show? No one in the mosh pit seemed to know it. *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:12:19 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Nitpicky stuff about 2 songs >On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Yossarian wrote: >>> The chorus is repetitive. >Uhhhhhhhh. Beavis? Isn't a chorus supposed to be um.... doesn't the word even >mean something like 'sing again' in Latin, or something? (I'm probably totally >wrong). The definition of the word chorus is 'a part of a song or hymn recurring >at intervals'. What's your point? I normally don't do this, but you were such a wise ass to someone simply stating an opinion that I felt you had to be set right. Repetitive does NOT mean repeated. So, genius of all geniuses, of COURSE the chorus is REAPEATED, but it may be repetitive. Example: "We Want A Rock" - Within the chorus, they do the "Throw the crib door wide..." thing twice on the album. Live they only tend to do it once per chorus. The chorus is still repeated live, but no longer repetitive. Next time don't take up an offensive tone or else someone, like myself, will fire it right back at you. I apologize for the brusqueness of the letter, but I believe in dealing with people as they deal with others. If you're going to be mean, be RIGHT.
=================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorrow@voicenet.com
They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:12:59 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: "what is a freak flag?" Det. Dave here... > >> 2.)What exactly is a freak flag? > I think a "freak > flag," for me anyway, is the equivalent of a coat-of-arms; it displays my > personality. Actually, I read on the list a few weeks ago (whatever happened to Kathleen?) that "freak flag" stands for long hair and is a quote from a Crosby, Stills and Nash song from back in the Paloezoic era of rock and roll (kidding, it's from the late 60's/early 70's) Det. justthefactsmaam Dave ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:14:18 -0600 From: paul swan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Nitpicky stuff about 2 songs > Anyone ever read the Heinlein book, Destination Moon? >Again, probably tangential at best. yup... it's about these guys making a rocket and then blasting off to the moon right as the government tries to stop them. it's a pretty good story, pretty much the standard heinlein, but still good. not only that, i've also read the book nightgown of the sullen moon, which is a short picture book. nothing to do with the song, but a cute little book... paul ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:35:08 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Duh Herne wrote: > > 2.)What exactly is a freak flag? Basically whatever you use to say "I'm different, and I don't give a DAMN about your mass-marketed fake individuality!!!" There, I feel better now. -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:43:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Ana NG x> >I believe the line," I don't want the world, I just want your half." x> >isn't from a bridge, but a talk that They had about money, no less. x> x> Originally, yes it was from a conversation They once had about x> money, but dedicated fans have since painted it on bridges. OK, straight from Jamie Kitman's article in Automobile magazine from 1987 or 88: *** "Good," said Giants' guitarist John Flansburgh, when news arrived that Chrysler had acquiesced and the Voyager was on its way. "They've taken the They Might Be Giants Challenge." Flansburgh, who is sometimes called Jack, and accordionist John Linnell, who is known as the Professor, often refer to their band in the third person. This messianic tendency is one of the many similarities between rock stars and politicians. When I suggested this to him, the twenty-seven-year-old Flansburgh bristled. "It's not like we're megalomaniacs. We don't want the whole world. We just want our half." *** This qualifies as a conversation about money because of several earlier paragraphs, and it comes from the right time period. I think this answers the question. And if you want to read the rest of this article (which is a scream), you can find it at http://www.europa.com/~alittlew/tmbg/road.html --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:55:46 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Chatting w/ Real Audio I don't know about chatting with RA itself, but onlive has a nifty little talker thing that uses similar technology for realtime audio chat. the address is: http://www.onlive.com/ i think. -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:08:00 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Ununoctium U. Ununoctium wrote: > On 21 Nov 1996 14:53:24 EST WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu writes: > > >there are NO, repeat NO glam-rock bands still around. There > >werent any in the 70s either... the end. > > Who and what exactly was Gary Glitter then? One of Rush Limbaugh's favorite artists....need I say more? S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back now" --John Conant Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:09:57 -0800 From: Dave and/or Carol Gooch Organization: People That Think Judgemental People Suck Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock > > On 21 Nov 1996 14:53:24 EST WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu writes: > > >there are NO, repeat NO glam-rock bands still around. There > >werent any in the 70s either... the end. > (Short, lame, non TMBG related post, be warned) I don't want to sit and name all the bands, but the later part of the 70's were full of glam rock bands. Fans of KISS will argue that they aren't, but.... -- "Sure, I could've stayed in the past...could've even been king. But in my own way, I am king. Hail to the King baby." -- Ash, Army of Darkness ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: repittion Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:08:38 -0500 (EST) I agree with Franie, there might be somewhat of a repititious air to Metal Detector after the first two minutes but it's rockin. An interesting note on this that Flans said in the Talk.com chat. He said in the early days (and yes he said that the First album was the best TMBG album!) they liked to trim the fat completely, not have any repitition whatsoever if possible. He says now they've gotten fatter (ok I'm paraphrasing ;) and they will do somewhat repititious stuff, but not just for repititions sake. I mean, there are lots of good songs out there that repeat, pretty much any chorus! I will have to listen again to what Flans said exactly about the "trimmming the fat" and the repitition. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:12:35 -0500 (EST) > On 21 Nov 1996 WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu wrote: > > > Tsk tsk... apparently some of you dont know the meaning of > > glam-rock... glam-rock was a little style of music, synonymous with > > "Hair Metal"... where the music sucked but they had big hair and dressed > > like ladies... Look at Poision, Warrant, Ratt, etc... those were glam > > rock... there are NO, repeat NO glam-rock bands still around. There > > werent any in the 70s either... the end. > > > Really? I didn't think glam-rock was synonymous with Hair-Metal at all. > When I think glam-rock, I think 70s, like especially Gary Glitter. (maybe > even David Bowie, I don't know) I always think of that "Get your rocks off" song (damn I can't remembver the name) by that English group which I also have gforgotten the name of, damn this was totally useless!! (anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:22:13 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Theories >If you guys want to like these songs, I don't care. There is no theory >behind why people don't like these songs. It has nothing to do with >strings, age, genre, previous Tmbg or any thing else but one thing: They >don't like it. I really can't say that this makes much sense at all. There is always a reason why people don't like things. I like SEXXY, but there are _reasons_ why I like it. There are also reasons why I dislike You'll Miss Me. A theory is merely something that is formed to explain the fact of the matter concerning why many people do or do not like certain songs. For instance, the theory that said that many people might not like SEXXY because it doesn't sound like Their typical type of music, is probably quite right. I'm also sure that there are many other reasons why people don't like the song, & I'm fine with that. But there are theories behind it, because that is the way you explain tendancies that you see occuring. Granted, you should try to have your theory based on actual evidence, but that's beside the point. I just wanted to say that you can't simply say that what people like & dislike is unexplainable, because it is explainable, everything is. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" They're the best thing since Canned Roses! 'Course the best thing before Canned Roses was Real Turnips, but don't blame me! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:24:47 -0800 From: Robin Perrtree Organization: Washington U. StL Subject: Re: TMBG: meet the Johns Mark Krakauer wrote: > > I've been to a few TMBG concerts but never got to talk to the band > afterwords. I was wondering what experiences people have had with this, and > if the Johns have ever been around afterwords to talk to fans. I met Flansburgh in Sept. he was signing things at a street side records booth. I went up, told him I loved him, and that he was my god, and he responded that in that case I'm his goddess!! Then he signed my shirt against my back. Robin aka TMBGod ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: A Different Reason For Unpopular S-E-X-X-Y & XVAA From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:49:50 EST On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:36:49 -0400 (EDT) Fransburgh writes: >not to say TMBG is exactly like classical music, but do you understand my >point? if i love the musical material in the first two minutes, and it >repeats itself in the final two minutes, i'll just sit back and >enjoy...it's bound not to be exact repetition, anyway. :) > >(and what about so many "classical" pieces that have repeats written into >the music by the composer, should we take those out, becasue it's too >boring to hear the same material again?) I understand the point that you may like the repetition, but it seems very forced and very obvious on Factory Showroom. If you pay even the smallest amount of attention you will notice that about half the songs on the album just repeat the first verse and for no particular reason. If it were for some effect (such as the "and what YOU'LL find is just a statue..." in The Statue Got Me High) then these repetitions might be warranted, but as it is, it is quite obvious that some one is meeting the demands of there record company. An example of this is Spiraling Shape. I really like Spiraling Shape, but it could be better. The first 30 seconds of the song are pure ecstasy as Linnell sings along with an instrument of which I can not think of at the moment. The next minute or so is also really good as Flans joins in for some background vocals and the guitar. The last minute (or so, I'm not listening to it now) adds little to the song as it is just a rock out reiteration of the previous few minutes. I'm not saying I hate these songs because they are too long, but I am saying that it really decreases from my overall enjoyment of the songs. Really, I'm just pining for pre-John Henry days when TMBG knew how to make a concise statement with a song and knew when to quit. I'm not telling TMBG how to do their job, because I know they're not listening, I'm just sitting here hoping that no one else is telling TMBG how to do their job (namely, the people who put their name on Their paychecks). *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:03:51 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: TMBG: Bela Fleck There is a song by Bela Fleck and The Fleckenstones on their "Tales from The Accoustic Planet" (I think, I know the Tales... part, I think it is Bela Fleck) called the _Cheeseballs in Cowtown_. It is a really cool little tune. I was wondering if anybody knew of any conection between it and the _Cowtown_ we've all come to know and love. P.S. If like liked that piece of musical genius, try Marc O'Conner, especially his Heros Album. SJL Steven J. Luke s0003483@vax.niagara.edu Junior-Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major SteveL@tmbg.org Biology-Microbiology They Might Be Giants Mark O'Conner I Dream of Jeanie ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:07:21 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I'm odd I expected to come to my box and find it flooded with messages about people getting posters from SonicNet. Apparentally, no one else did. Well I did. I answered that message on the chat about five minutes later, AND I GOT I POSTER! It's quite cool, it's a promo tour poster for FS. It's J+J looking pretty bad, and then it has a time and venue slip on the bottom. It's very cool. It's not signed, which dissapoints me, but that's ok ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:22:10 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Wyatt Glodell Wyatt Glodell please mail me... Joe -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:22:10 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Not really relevant, but common interest prevails Is anyone London (or environs) based going to the Ben Folds Five gig at the LA2 on Tuesday (Nov 26th)? Wanna meet up beforehand? Mail me Joe -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: CLARISSA EXPLAINS IT ALL! From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Dragon Lord) Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:17:01 EST I have seen it! Both the John and John poster and the Flood cover emblem are right next to each other in her room! They're starting the entire series of Clarissa all over again! It's on right now! (5:00 central time) _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBGTicket runaround From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:35:04 EST Today after school I called tha Ticketmaster in KC for tickets to the KC concert next Wed.Well first the people in KC told me to call Oklahoma City (since i live in Ok,,,but just on the border so I am not quite sure witch state to call)anyway the dude in OKC said that they don't sell out of state tickets and told me to call the first number again,so I did. The lady at the number I called again gave me info on some stores near me but the nearest one was 200 miles away ,I was going to have my uncle pick them up but they didn't have tickets to TMBG show (when I called here they put me on hold and when they did put me on hold music started to play and the first song was Listen to the Bells by TMBG which was cool )so they gave me the main TICKET MASTER number so I called it well it turned out that it was pretty much the same number I called the first time and they told me the same thing plus they gave me a number to a ticket master holder in OK that might sell me the tickets, so I hung up and called that number at 5:00 and it turns out that they close at 5:00 so now I have to call Friday and order then. WHY ME WHY ME- - EEEEE Just wanted you to know Nick "Does the voices in my head bother you"-the old lady on the subway ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 05:04:02 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Linnell was staring at me the WHOLE time! (long) Just thought I would drop a note about the TWO TMBG concerts I saw yesterday. Yes, TWO! I was driving into San Francisco from Sacramento and I heard on the radio that They were doing a live show at Tower Records. We raced over there and made it in plenty of time. I was standing about 2 feet from Flans and about 5 feet from Linnell for the whole show (about one hour in length)! Flans almost whacked me in the head with his guitar head a couple of times, but I managed to escape injury. I grabbed a set list after the show (which I will post later) and I picked up a guitar pick that Flans dropped, but I gave it to the person standing next to me, who looked like she wanted it a lot more than I did. Some general notes and impressions of the show: 1. Even though I was on the opposite side of the stage, every time Linnell glanced over in my general direction, it seemed as though he was very intently staring right INTO me. That man has one intense stare. 2. They played "Older" and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. I LOVE that song! The music is not complex, but very catchy and kind of eerie. Flans smoothly rips out the guitar part while Graham provides equally enthralling counterpoint. And Linnell has the timing of the words just right to provide a comical quality to a rather disturbing song (when you realize "Hey, he's right - I really AM Older now!"). 3. The vein on the right side of Linnell's neck seemed about to burst on the very high notes. I could probably write an essay about the various physical oddities about Linnell during concerts (that hair, those teeth, those EYES!). Has anyone noticed that he sometimes half-closes his eyelids, rolls his eyes back, and appears to be in a trance? I'm beginning to believe he is an alien. 4. Flans' guitar was very cool. It was a 1960-something Les Paul. On the head he had a plate that said "Robin" which, I assume, is his wife's name. (I was so close I actually got to see UP Flans' nose. Woohoo!) 5. The Tower show was without Eric Schemmerhorn (thank god) and Linnell played the accordion on EVERY song!! They played what they called the "Trini Lopez" (sp?) version of "Why Does The Sun Shine?" which had a sort of Latin feel to it and was very cool. 6. At the Warfield show, Linnell actually messed up the words to "Metal Detector." In general, though, he seemed to be having a great time. He smiled a lot, moved around on stage more than I've ever seen him and seemed to be happy to be there. 7. Cub rocked! I don't think I've ever seen a band having that much fun on stage, nor have I ever seen a drummer interact with the audience as much. I loved the punk-pop feel of their music and their love of what they were doing was infectious. 8. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't play "Spiralling Shape" but I was pleasantly surprised to hear "Spider". I also heard "Countefeit Faker" and "They Got Lost" for the first time, as well as "Older", all of which I loved. They also played "Pet Name" which I didn't think they had been playing in concert. Pre-Flood songs: only Ana Ng and Don't Let's Start. 9. The puppets in Exquisite Dead Guy were very funny. 10. I got to meet Nicole the Wonder Nerd for an all-too-brief minute. She had an excellent home-made freak flag which I couldn't see during the concert because I was being squished up against the front railing by a couple of hundred people. Hopefully, Nicole, our paths will cross again. That's all I can think of, but I'm SURE there's something else. They were two excellent shows, I'll probably have more comments when I post the set list. Sorry for the long post, but I warned you! Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ From: pchuss@mtest.teradyne.com (William Pat Chuss) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-319 Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:19:06 -0800 (PST) > From: Anakin Skywalker > Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitar Was The Case > Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:34:03 -0600 (CST) > > > Was the song 'Guitar Was The Case' from the Mono Puff: Unsupervised CD > > I've always thought that that song would have been absolutely perfect as the > opener for some kind of superhero movie... Not the dark kind, like Batman > or whatever, but I can just see that being the opening music to, say, > the Guy Gardner (sp?) Green Lantern, or something similar... Wow! What a way > to open up a movie! (or an album, for that matter...) > > May the force be with you. Hmmm... and for me it make me think of "The Munsters" theme song. In other news, I went to the TMBG/Cub show last night at the Warfield in San Francisco. In a word - unbefreakinglievable! Cub was fun and the crowd was pretty good to them (they threw loose change up on stage). TMBG was on! I loved every minute of the show except the ending which came way to soon. I had an awesome view with my wife, standing just above the floor level leaning on the rail. I got to chat with a 10 year old Giant fan name Nick. He's way cool. I'll spare you all of the piddly details. If you want to know, then get off you butt and get to Their show. It's worth every freaking penny. Willie P. -- Willie Pat Chuss TMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBG "Full bottle in front of me Unix Sysadmin Geek TMBGTMBGTMBGTMB Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work Ext. 3161 Pager: 800-906-8394 TMBGTMBGTMBGTMBG and after many glasses of work TMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBGTMBG I get paid in the brain" --- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:24:54 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: TMBG: RA Chat For those who missed the chat: Just wanted to let everyone know that our newest item on They Might Be Bootlegs is: 11/20/96 HotWired On-Line Interview RA MAS 60m A Taped from a lengthy interactive RealAudio interview on-line. Taped from a 28.8 RA 3.0 connnection. Very clear for Real Audio. Master copy.
=================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorrow@voicenet.com
They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:35:10 -0800 Glam rock was well before the 80's, in fact the 80's bands that were called "glam rock" only took the name from the 70's artists... Gary Glitter. Marc Bolan/T.Rex. David Bowie. ---------- > From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Glam Rock > Date: Thursday, November 21, 1996 11:53 AM > > Tsk tsk... apparently some of you dont know the meaning of > glam-rock... glam-rock was a little style of music, synonymous with > "Hair Metal"... where the music sucked but they had big hair and dressed > like ladies... Look at Poision, Warrant, Ratt, etc... those were glam > rock... there are NO, repeat NO glam-rock bands still around. There > werent any in the 70s either... the end. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: win95 Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:39:24 -0500 (EST) Win95 has stopped recognizing my CDRom, is there a good way (maybe PlugnPlay?) to go about getting it to reconize. I sure hope the physical connections have become separated but apart from that any suggestions? Thanks -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:53:36 -0500 Subject: TMBG:a bunch of related things.... HI fellow list memebers. how be it hanging? well,anyway.... larry sanders----yes i saw them,and i was overal happy about it. i know they didnt spend much time with THEY,but they were on the show more or less,and it made my night. i can understand how people who just tuned in to see tmbg are upset,but i tune in every week to see Scott thompson,and also it is a funny show,so not much complaints.linnell looked really happy. i was hoping to see tmbg act a little in the show,but alas.... has anybody gotten through to DAS lately? i havent in over a week. i will be playing LUCKY BALL AND CHAIN for my friend hansels class tomorrow. i saw WEIRD ALS holiday shopping list in sam goodys,and indeed,i was so happy to see one of the item listed---"a shoehorn(the kind with teeth)" heehee the first episode of clarrissa was on today,but apparently i tuned in (LITERALLY,YOU HEAR ME? LITERALLY), 10 seconds too late. i turned on the tv,clarrissa was talking about her brother,then the opening theme song came on,i watched the whole show,nothing. but in the credits,it said this "(she was a)hotel detective" animation by ________(dont remember name) courtesy of they might be giants and bar/none records so,...i dont know. well bye. thanks for listening jordan "this is country!" "doesnt this sound like country?" "oh god! you listen to country!" "that sounds like country" ------------------------fellow classmates,describing THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:30:52 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Sorry...Matts? Will either Matt James or Matt Coon e-mail me please? I can't remember to whom I sent the two tapes for copies of PODAS and "Free When You Call From Work." I think it was Matt James, but...I was just wondering the status of that, or if the tapes got to you at all... Sorry for the mass post. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Devil Bunny! I snort the nose, Lucifer! Banana! Banana!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Satanic Debbie Boone in _Bloom County_ **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:30:43 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: the poster contest an extension Organization: West Virginia Network The contest to win the Factory showroom promo poster will be extended because i dont have the money to send it to a possible winner so you guys have at least another day to send me what the poster is worth in trade and why you deserve it more than your friends...... sam ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:39:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Clarissa Just if anyone cares... Wow, what karma. Today I turned on Clarissa Explains It All just for kicks, and it was the very first episode! She introduces herself and makes a list of "likes." Second after junk food is "the John without the glasses from They Might Be Giants," as the first few notes of Ana Ng play in the background and some little John cartoons from the Hotel Detective video pop up for about 5 seconds. Not much, but it was cute. :) Also, on her room walls you can see the big Flood sign and the picture of the Johns holding accordions or whatever we decided those were. Of course, I didn't get it on tape because I have reflexes of molasses, but I know someone out there has it. Russ, if you're there... this could make a cute introduction to the next bootleg video! --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 20:56:36 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: TMBG at El Rey Hey folks, 24 hours till the show. Looking forward to it and to meeting Kathleen Jo and anyone else from the list who will be there. I have sort of long hair and a Van Dyke beard. I'll be wearing an apple green Suzanne Vega shirt and black jeans. E-mail me if any of you are going so that I might find you. Till the next time, Herne ------------------------------ From: benjamin c salmon Date: Fri, 22 Nov 96 00:01:01 -0500 OK, I was on a tmbg mailing list a couple of years ago, and it fell through. I'm going to see tmbg and cub on dec 5, and, sorry if this has been run into the ground, but i just joined, and i heard something about a hidden track on factory showroom, can someone email me privately and tell me if this is true? thanks, ben ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 01:03:57 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Clarissa Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Nov-96 TMBG: Clarissa by Christi587@aol.com > Johns holding accordions or whatever we decided those were. Of course, I The one Flansburgh is holding is an amp, but he's holding it like an accordion. I know someone who has this poster and close up it's quite obviously not an accordion. Linnell is holding the accordion he played in the Puppet Head video. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-320 ******************************