Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-321 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 321 Saturday, 23 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock TMBG: Start of the tour TMBG: Re: what is that poster? TMBG: RE: Get your rocks off TMBG: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: recordings Re: TMBG: New job. Re: TMBG: I'm odd + the chat TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Cabaret Metro, the debate goes on..... TMBG: BOBA MAIL: That thing TMBG: A.Word.A.Day--hypocorism (fwd) TMBG: destination moon Re: TMBG: Glam Rock Re: TMBG: CLARISSA EXPLAINS IT ALL! TMBG: She got well! TMBG: tour shirt TMBG: Who is Adam Smith? TMBG: Sonicnet stuff TMBG: This is NOT an SEXXY delay message-- TMBG: concert Re: TMBG: Who is Adam Smith? Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: Who is Adam Smith? Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: poster TMBG: Re: Clarissa TMBG: Monster message! TMBG: Various Sundry Posts TMBG: TMBG Article in UCLA Newspaper TMBG: Concert in S.F. set list (sort of) and personal clarification TMBG: Re: Clarissa TMBG: 2040 tour shirt Re: TMBG: Re: Clarissa TMBG: SonicNet Prizes Re: TMBG: Duh TMBG: DAS TMBG: Re: Various Sundry Posts TMBG: i was at a record store and found TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y CD5 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 01:15:59 -0600 From: I am not your broom Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock >I always think of that "Get your rocks off" song (damn I can't remembver >the name) by that English group which I also have gforgotten the name >of, damn this was totally useless!! (anyone have any idea what I'm >talking about?) I think you're talking about Primal Scream's "Rocks"... I just happened to have bought it in a fit of insanity during a simgle sale at a Best Buy one summer... -- paul ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Start of the tour Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:35:42 +1100 >Also, he said in March they'll be going to Australia, Japan, and Europe and then on back to the states in April and May.> > Geesh!! That's a bloody lot of places to go in one month. If They don't come to Perth I am going to be spewing!!!! If there are any releases on tour dates to Australia, please forward them ASAP!!! That way I can book a plane trip to the other side of the country in time!! Cheers and beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Re: what is that poster? Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:02:36 +1100 > If it's the one I think it is, Lin'l (on the right) holding an accordion and Flans (on the left) holding an amp. They're both leaning over, giving an interesting look. And the best thing is - IT'S ON MY DOOR (though my land lady has threatened me to take it down!! Wave that freak flag). I had a better poster, but it got damp and the moths ate it (you just can't trust some friends!!). Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: RE: Get your rocks off Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:51:07 +1100 Totally unThey related, but for your information: The band is Primal Scream (not a bad listen) and they are NOT GLAM ROCK!! Adam and the Ants were an image based band (with some great dance hits such as Ant Music, Pull Out the Jukebox and Goody Two Shoes - have a listen!) - without image, they were nothing (QED). What they had to do with XTC, I don't know - but Adam and the Ants were definitely more 'popular' at the time (ie I saw their videos on RTR long before I'd even heard of XTC!!). I hope this clears up something!?! Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:12:47 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders >Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 07:50:58 -0500 (EST) >From: Tom Hare >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Larry Sanders =) > >The Larry Sanders show was VERY annoying. I normally detest and denounce >that show, but I watched it for TMBG. And what do I get but 5 seconds of >showing them playing SEXXY, the rest talked over by 'Hank.' >I really hate that show. It's supposed to be a talk show, but it's scripted. >What a horrible idea. I fear you may have missed the point completely. It's not supposed to be a talk show, it's supposed to be a _parody_ of a talk show. It's scripted because they write jokes for it; when they interview people, it's in order to be funny. >And its focus every week is on the predicaments or >goings-on of one of three pathetic, old, whiny, sexually repressed white men. >(Those meaning Hank, Larry and Arthur I think) Would you prefer it if they were black then? I'm not a fan of the programme, but it's certainly better than most of the witless anodyne saccharine rubbish that we're fed from America, like The Cosby Show. >The one saving (?) grace of the show was Scott Thompson (a la Kids In The >Hall) told Larry "Good band, eh!" That was a neat kind of inside comment. But then I don't suppose you would have noticed if that was meant ironically, would you? Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look I've found out how to get a signature at the end. And I've even got a pretentious quote to include: "The greater is the beauty, The profounder is the stain, Humanity, Significant of the forbidden is transgressed in eroticism" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: recordings Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 05:59:29 -0600 > I finally got it to work on my portable CD >player. That shoots the idea of better technology is actually better. > Crazy kid > ---===Nathan > Guess so, because sam with me, TBTB only works with my sony discman. But then again besides that all i have is a crappy "boombox" (i hate that word) and my computer. Our old _good_ cd player broke from being in my brothers room too long. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: New job. Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 06:03:56 -0600 > > Just thought you guys might like some advance warning. > >-- >Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > System Administrator / Network Technician > bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org > NO!!! I dont see what i would do with the list down, this is all i do during long mornings and boring nights! WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO!!! alright, i think i'll go insane. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm odd + the chat Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 06:35:30 -0600 >I expected to come to my box and find it flooded with messages about people >getting posters from SonicNet. Apparentally, no one else did. Well I did. I >answered that message on the chat about five minutes later, AND I GOT I >POSTER! It's quite cool, it's a promo tour poster for FS. It's J+J looking >pretty bad, and then it has a time and venue slip on the bottom. It's very >cool. It's not signed, which dissapoints me, but that's ok > weird, maybe posters were like 3rd prize if you sent it in 5 minutes later. I prepared it during chat and sent instantly. I still got no "you won" of cartoons of the JOHN F. Oh well. And about the realaudio chat (was it RA... no i dont think so, well, you know what i am tlaking about) i couldn't get the program because it needed WIN95. I still wont get win85. Maybe i'll stick it on a zip copied off a friend and never use it. oops, what i meant to ask was: anybody type up a transcript? or do you have to RA it? i csan barely use RA with win 3.1/a 14400 I wanna read it. -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:19:43 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: Cabaret Metro, the debate goes on..... > I really don't have any idea on this topics, so bear with me if I'm > completely off. I do remember seeing the ads for TMBG playing in Chicago > around that time, and I was under the impression that they played three > nights in Chicago: one of just John Henry stuff, one of the "old > favorites", and one of a "grab bag." Is this the tour you're speaking > of? If so, any boots are probably made up of a combination of these > shows. Again, I really don't know....I'm just guessing. Well, Bill I remember that the three show stint was in 1995. Cabaret Metro, was in 1992, so I don't think that it. One of those shows was a nostalgia show, that They played songs that They never play. Alex Wrote: > I agree that it is strange for Them to do a debut album show during the > Apollo 18 tour. However, this does not rule out the fact that Linnell > says that this show is only 40 minutes long. I haven't listened to it in a while, so I don't even remeber this part. Maybe he was referring to the length of the album? Boba out. *------------------------------------------------------- -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Ladies & Gentlemen, a Gibiddy Gibb Gibb AWW!" - They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://bobasboots.home.ml.org *------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:24:01 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: That thing I was at Hills yesterday. Hills is a local department store in my area. You know that thing that if you push a button you see a partial video to a popular song? Well S-E-X-X-Y was on it! The video was actually spliced bits of other TMBG videos except for this one scene in the beginning, that might have been new. Oh, well. And Here's BOBA with another great TMBG scoop. Oh, and that guy who is taking covers of TMBG songs pls mail me, I have three entries if there are room!?! Thanks, BOba Out. *------------------------------------------------------- -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Ladies & Gentlemen, a Gibiddy Gibb Gibb AWW!" - They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://bobasboots.home.ml.org *------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: A.Word.A.Day--hypocorism (fwd) Date: Fri, 22 Nov 96 8:44:03 EDT From: John Pletikapich Forwarded message: Got this from the A.Word.A.Day list. Thought it might be of interest. > >hy.po.co.rism or hy.po.co.ris.ti.cal \hi--'pa:k-*-.riz-*m; > .hi--p*-'ko-(*)r-.iz-, -'ko.(*)r-\ \.hi--p*-k*-'ris-tik\ \-ti-k*l\ > \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [LL hypocorisma, fr. Gk hypokorisma, fr. hypokorizesthai > to call by pet names, fr. hypo- + korizesthai to caress, fr. koros boy, > kore- girl : a pet name or the use of pet names; also : EUPHEMISM - > hy.po.co.ris.ti.c aj > -- john ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 96 08:38:51 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: destination moon hey all. speaking of destination moon, there is also a jazz standard by this name, which is coming to wider-knownness through a nike ad in which a cartoon cow has a brief affair with the moon (jumping over it) while listening to destination moon (the jazz standard, not the They song!). hth. :) peace, annd ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:33:45 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Glam Rock > I always think of that "Get your rocks off" song (damn I can't remembver > the name) by that English group which I also have gforgotten the name > of, damn this was totally useless!! (anyone have any idea what I'm > talking about?) Primal Scream??? They had a song a coupla years ago that you may be talking about. I hated the album it was on, but loved the previous one, "Screamadelica." Check it out. It's a little trippy, but really rocks. ------------------------------ From: TheMoog! Subject: Re: TMBG: CLARISSA EXPLAINS IT ALL! Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 15:55:08 -0500 (EST) On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:17:01 EST Dragon Lord wrote: >I have seen it! Both the John and John poster and the Flood cover emblem >are right next to each other in her room! They're starting the entire >series of Clarissa all over again! It's on right now! (5:00 central >time) Well, I thought about sending this in for ages, but was convinced you'd all know about it. In the very first episode ever of Clarissa EVER... she mentions something about TMBG. (If my memory serves me correctly she says she has a crush on "The Geeky One" but that could be way off.) Anyway.. Thats all really. The Moog P.S. I've asked before, but does anyone have any vague dates or even ideas if TMBG are coming to the UK anytime in the future. Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:49:28 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: She got well! Hello Exquisite Living People, Wow. Thank you all very much for all of the e-get well cards. I just printed them all out and mailed them off, after reading several to Lauren over the phone. Lauren did in fact get better, and was particularly moved by all of the well wishers who took the time to send a little note. With each e-card, she got a little better and her strength returned within days, thanks to a dose of TLC and your good cheer. We're sorry that we can't send individualized thank-yous to all of the e-card senders, but there were just too many. I'm nevertheless thankful to all my tmbg friends and tmbg strangers who helped my sweet, sweet angel feel better. Yay! Love, Bob Plass ----------------------------- "But there is something wrong with me! I need cartoon nurses!" - - - Lauren, who sounds and feels great thanks to TMBG listies! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:14:42 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: tour shirt Hi everyone I recently took a close look at the back of my TMBG World Tour 2040 shirt. It's hilarious! According to Them, before 2040: 1) Utah will secede from the US 2) LA will become an island 3) Sweden will go on a neo-Viking rampage and conquer Scotland, England, the Netherlands, and Belgium 4) some kind of warp drive will have been invented that's capable of getting the Johns from the moon to Mars in one day Also note that their "world" tour includes two other planets, plus the Moon. In addition, many of the venues are jokes, too. "Cabaret Hallyday" in Paris does not exist (today). Johnny Hallyday is a well-known singer in France. (Damn, they're culturally aware!) Anybody have any other insights? Anyone know who Adam Smith is and why They think that there'll be an Adam Smith Colosseum in Beijing? I love this shirt. :) It's just so... tongue-in-cheek. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:46:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Who is Adam Smith? Nicole the Wonder(ful) Nerd asked: >Anyone know who Adam Smith is and why They think that there'll be an Adam Smith Colosseum in Beijing? He is an ancient (1700s) Scotch writer whose book, "The Wealth of Nations" laid the philospical groundwork for Capitalism. He talks about the costs of labor and the importance of allowing people to be free to pursue their own goals. He came up with the "invisible hand" concept and the "rising tide lifts all boats" thingie. Obviously, They are assuming that the Communist system in China will be overthrown by Capitalism. (good idea) His book, "The Wealth of Nations" is a very difficult read, but well worth it for anyone interested in the basis of our economic system. Det. fountofuselessknowledge Dave ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Sonicnet stuff Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:56:58 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts I was pleasantly surprised to find a Factory Showroom poster waiting for me yesterday. Apparently the first few folks who wrote in got CD's, and the rest (or some of the rest) got posters, since I waited a good 15 minutes or so before sending in my reply. It's the one with the Two Johns In Suits, with a tearoff tag at the bottom that reads "ON TOUR -> DATE VENUE ". -CB ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 15:35:07 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: This is NOT an SEXXY delay message-- Ben or Been here. Can you believe it? That day is finally approaching--the release date of "SEXXY" on single! Let's hope we don't have the doormat pulled out from under us again, and no one has to waste gas driving to Media Play to find only new R&B TLC singles in the bin. (Ain't that the truth!!!) Can anyone verify this for me: I think I read a while back that the single on CD will have some different tracks than on the cassette single. If that's true, I definitely hope I can find both releases!!! I'm looking forward to hearing "Reprehensible." I reread one of my concert reviews, a concert where they played the song, and I raved over it, yet I cannot remember how it went. I think it's coming out too. *****By the way, give "SEXXY" a chance. The first time I heard it, I thought it was annoying radio music, meant to popularize the band. Then I gave it a chance, and really started to like it. It's good if you hear it on the radio, then play it off your CD at home. "SEXXY's" one you'll hear for years now, because the next time you go to a strip club, the pole-dancer will be taking her clothes off to this funky, sexxy tune. Ready to go to Hooters to have our server sing some TMBG, Ben or Been (who fortunately has never gone to Hooters or a strip club--that's why I have acting class!!!!!) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:00:00 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: concert >I loved every minute of the show except the ending which >came way to soon. I had an awesome view with my wife, standing just >above the floor level leaning on the rail. Wow, you must have been pretty close to me, then. Unless you were off to the sides. I was the one with the large white flag. >And Linnell has the timing of the words just right to provide a comical >quality to a rather disturbing song [Older] I thought so, too. It was one of my favorite moments. Just the way he solemnly intoned "Time is marching on... and time is [pause] *still* marching on..." as if it were ever any different... ah, I just loved it. Got a chuckle from the audience, too. >I could probably write an essay about the various physical oddities about >Linnell during concerts (that hair, those teeth, those EYES!). I am in love with Linnell's hair. I swear I am. >At the Warfield show, Linnell actually messed up the words to "Metal Detector." >In general, though, he seemed to be having a great time. He smiled a lot I noticed. I was mouthing the correct words, but I doubt he noticed/cared. :) And yeah, he seemed to be having a blast. Not as overtly as Flanny, who spent a lot of time jumping around stage with an enormous grin on his face, but in a restrained, Linnell-like way. I was glad to see that, too, because I'd been hearing everyone say that he looked sick and/or tired and/or depressed on stage, and yet on Wednesday he seemed great. >I was kind of disappointed that they didn't play "Spiralling Shape" but I was >pleasantly surprised to hear "Spider". Not to mention a brief "ladies and gentlemen" bit reminiscent of the Extended Spider Intro. I was VERY surprised to hear "Lady is a Tramp", which they played as they were walking on stage. At one point Flans introduced a song by starting to talk about fleabag hotels, and I was hoping for Hell Hotel. But it turned out to be Maybe I Know. Ah well. >I got to meet Nicole the Wonder Nerd for an all-too-brief minute. She had an >excellent home-made freak flag which I couldn't see during the concert because >I was being squished up against the front railing by a couple of hundred >people. Yah, it looked pretty grim down there. Not too much crowd-surfing, tho. Two attempts from what I saw. I was grateful for my peaceful spot at the railing, complete with a beautiful unobstructed view of the stage, but it would have been nice to be right at the stage. After the concert, someone approached me and said that she'd seen and loved I Am Not Your Broom. (My flag had "I Am Not Your Broom" on one side of it, in a (fruitless) attempt to get them to play it) I asked her if she was from the list or the newsgroup, but she said no. >Hopefully, Nicole, our paths will cross again. Next SF or Sacramento concert! (Anyone know when they're coming back? God, I feel like an addict or something.) --nicole the wonder nerd is the poison you love *** Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu New flavor! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu Frosty mug taste, less caffeine! -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- GCS/L d? s: a--- C++>$ U P L W++ N+ K+ w(-) M- PS+(++) Y+ PGP- t X+++ R tv-- b+++ DI++++ D-- G e h !r x? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:25:52 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Who is Adam Smith? On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, David K. Lapides wrote: ** Obviously, They are assuming that the Communist system in China will ** be overthrown by Capitalism. (good idea) Really? I thought it was because Adam Smith is the most famous name associated with economics, and China is supposed to become a major economic superpower under their Communist system sometime after 2000. Obviously, They would be predicting China would still be in power in 2040, if my first assumption is correct, which I'm not really certain about. Do you really think that, based on the fact that China is predicted to become powerful with its current system, They are still predicting Capitalism to take over? I don't know. RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:42:22 -0800 (PST) From: "Jonathan Lee Wilson (Jon Wilson)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Mark Iles wrote: > > >Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 07:50:58 -0500 (EST) > >From: Tom Hare > >And its focus every week is on the predicaments or > >goings-on of one of three pathetic, old, whiny, sexually repressed white men. > >(Those meaning Hank, Larry and Arthur I think) > > Would you prefer it if they were black then? I'm not a fan of the > programme, but it's certainly better than most of the witless anodyne > saccharine rubbish that we're fed from America, like The Cosby Show. > Wow! I'm impressed that you were brave enough to share your racist comments! You should feel great about yourself. Keep on typing and you'll learn them something real good! > >The one saving (?) grace of the show was Scott Thompson (a la Kids In The > >Hall) told Larry "Good band, eh!" That was a neat kind of inside comment. > > But then I don't suppose you would have noticed if that was meant > ironically, would you? It's not meant ironically you moron. The kids in the hall and they might be giants are respective fans of eachother. Doogie > > > Mark > > __________________________________________________________________________ > Look I've found out how to get a signature at the end. And I've even got a > pretentious quote to include: > > "The greater is the beauty, The profounder is the stain, > Humanity, Significant of the forbidden is transgressed in eroticism" > > Laetitia Sadier > ___________________________________________________________________________ > ___________________________________________________________________________ > > Mark Iles, Tel: (0113) 2064573 > Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: (0113) 2340183 > Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk > St James' University Hospital, > Beckett Street, > Leeds, > U.K. > ____________________________________________________________________________ > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:57:21 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: Who is Adam Smith? On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Ryan Staib wrote: > On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, David K. Lapides wrote: > > ** Obviously, They are assuming that the Communist system in China will > ** be overthrown by Capitalism. (good idea) > > Really? I thought it was because Adam Smith is the most famous name associated > with economics, and China is supposed to become a major economic superpower > under their Communist system sometime after 2000. Obviously, They would be Perhaps it is just a strange and cool little irony that they added, that one of the founders of Capitolistic literature would have a collosium named after him in one of, if not THE, most socialistic, yet successfully socialistic, countries in the world. Strange irony, don't you think? SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:12:46 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Jonathan Lee Wilson (Jon Wilson) wrote: > It's not meant ironically you moron. The kids in the hall and they might > be giants are respective fans of eachother. I am just wondering, how do peopleknow if, lets saythis example, KITH are TMBG fans and vice versa. Or, as was mentioned, Wierd Al. Or that Dr. Demento or whatever. Oh, speaking of Dr. Demento. if that is his real name. does anyone know a channel in Buffalo region, or purhaps Toronto, that airs it? I have never heard of him... SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:29:15 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders < I am just wondering, how do peopleknow if, lets saythis example, KITH are TMBG > I know that at least Bruce McCulloch and Kevin McDonald (KitH) are TMBG fans. Bruce said so in his chat on AOL about a year and a half ago (leading to me finally checking Them out--yay!!!), and Kevin was spotted at a They show, I believe. I really don't know how TMBG feels about KitH, though they did put "Spiralling Shape" on the KitH movie soundtrack (but they had a song for the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie, too, so...). I vaguely recall that when someone posted excerpts from a radio interview with Flans (the one where he mentioned "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" but it was was garbled and sounded like he said "Pearl") that he also said something about KitH, but whoever posted did not say what. I meant to ask that guy, but I forgot! Does anyone know? A huge fan of both KitH and TMBG needs to know! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:52:29 -0800 From: Robin Perrtree Organization: Washington U. StL Subject: Re: TMBG: poster gonk@valley.net wrote: > > I expected to come to my box and find it flooded with messages about people > getting posters from SonicNet. Apparentally, no one else did. Well I did. I > answered that message on the chat about five minutes later, AND I GOT I > POSTER! It's quite cool, it's a promo tour poster for FS. It's J+J looking > pretty bad, and then it has a time and venue slip on the bottom. It's very > cool. It's not signed, which dissapoints me, but that's ok I e-mailed as fast as I could, and I got the poster too. I love it!!!! J+J are so cute on it, they look almost possessed, it's great!!! I wish it was signed, but I'm still happy beyond belief. Wjen I got home and saw the cardboard tube in between the doors i became VERY happy!! Robin ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:07:56 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Clarissa Christi587@aol.com wrote: >"the John > without the glasses from They Might Be Giants," as the first few notes >of Ana I know nick's intensions were good, but don't both Johns have glasses? correct me if I'm wrong. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:33:25 -0800 (PST) From: "Jonathan Lee Wilson (Jon Wilson)" Subject: TMBG: Monster message! O.k. This is going to be the mother of all messages. Last night they played here in San Luis Obispo California at my college. I am a member of the small group of people who put the concert together. I worked on it from 8am yesterday till 2am this morning. After I was done setting up the stage and equipment yesterday I was the runner(the guy who drives a van and goes shopping for the band and who picks the band up) As the runner I was directly in contact with their manager Mike whom I impressed and annoyed with some of my knowledge of the band. He sent me to purchase a bullhorn which he wanted to use for some power trip purpose. I ended up buying a musical bullhorn from radio shack which Flans ended up playing with (not onstage) later that night. I was then sent by their stage manager Iggy to get beaded curtains, tiki lanterns, and christmas lights. After finding all those things I ended up picking up the band at a Holiday Inn. They travelled from SF to SLO via a rented Cadillac instead of taking the bus. I asked why they didn't drive a Town Car and they said they couldn't find one and bye the way how did I know that that's what they like? So when I picked them up at the hotel they said wait cause we want to watch Prince on Oprah. I found this strange. Maybe we'll see a cover of Prince someday. When I drove them to the concert I got them all to sign my WDTSS ep which I will now treasure always. After that the grumbling began. Brian Doherty was sitting in the back and the radio was on. Linnel was sitting behind me. Out of the blue Brian says "Linnel can you take care of the radio, I don't want to hear it" very harshly. Linnel kind of looks around and I turned off the radio. So I ask them about the Sanders show and what they thought about the limited playing time and why was it sung mostly by Flans? They said they didn't mind the playing time and that they were doing that song live like that back when they recorded the show. I then dropped them off at the concert and showed them where they were supposed to go to. Immediately Flans screams "What is this bullshit? We have to share a dressing room with Cub?" I was beginning to realize that everyone was in a shitty mood. Later on Flans screamed and stomped on the ground because the food wasn't ready on time. I am a big fan of They but I am printing this stuff about them cause they were rude to me. I still loved their show, I'll get to that later. Here is some Brian Doherty info I got from the manager and members of the band: He is notoriously messy on the bus and he doesn't clean up after himself. When describing Brian members of the band use a derogatory stoner/surfer accent and describe him as a flake. Here is some Flans info: I had to use the christmas lights I got to illuminate dangerous parts of the stage because in Salt Lake city Flans tripped over something and landed on his knees. He was unable to do any encours that night and he might have had to end the tour but he got better. The manager told the caterer to not serve cake and to serve a vegetable dinner because "the band is getting too fat". I think I know who he was referring too. The band members all looked rather sickly and the clothes they wore on stage were probably the same ones they slepped in. So the concert... Cub was awesome! It was a small crowd and most didn't know much about Cub but everyone liked them. I wish I knew their names. I talked to their drummer the most. She is my favorite. During the whole show she stared at guys and made funny faces at them and said stuff to them. She was really nice and fun to talk to. They refused to play New York City. I guess they didn't want to compete with They. So then They came up on stage while there was some music playing. I thought that part was kind of stupid. They started the bombardment of what would become the most purposefuly blatantly obvious promotion of an album. Linnel said"we printed too many albums, about 8 million." And Flans said "you aren't leaving till all of them are sold" The audience laughed. Little did they know... O.k. first song was to the ladies... SEXXY. Then they went to another mainstreamer Birdhouse. I was glad when they played Sleeping in the Flowers next. They introed the next song as "a song about the best president ever" James K. Polk. Then they surprised me when they said "This is a song from our friends Cub called New York City". It rocked. Fun to dance to. Then they moved into Subliminal. Then there was Particle Man and of course everyone cheered. Then they played "Why can't I sing like a Girl" which Linnel introduced as a song about Flans and Flans said every song is about me. He said he plays a central character in his music like Alice Cooper. I have the set list and the next song is blank I remember this song to be from a female singer from the 50's. It was slow and sweet. Then they played "Older" which I thought was hilarious and so did everyone else. Ana Ng delighted my ears next. But then unfortunately they played Pet Name. O.k. song but boring live. Then they got things rocking by playing Spy and they did this huge jazz freestyle thing with Linnel standing in front conducting. He used left arm to tell the audience to say "spy" and used his right arm to tell the band to play a chord. He went faster and faster until the finale. The next song says "Maybe" I think it must have been a DAS because I didn't recoginize it. The next song was Metal detector which was very fun. Then unfortunately they played XTC vx AA which i hate. It's not so bad in concert though. The next was probably my favorite part of the concert. A very fast version of WDTSS. It was so cool to dance to. Then the fun continued with Don't lets Start. I was surprised to hear more than one pre-Elektra. Then the easiest song to dance to "Twisting". The next song was "Til my head falls off" which is one of my favorite FS songs. On the set list it has Spider but it was crossed off. I wish I could have heard them play that. Then they played this enormously long version of "Guitar" which was cool to jump up and down to. Then the Johns told everyone to congo line and they played "No one knows my Plan" which went on forever. Their must have been 20 huge congo lines going mach 5. Then of course they did their classic "here is a slow song" and instead played "Dig my Grave" I knew this was coming so I timed it and everyone else was slow dancing but I jumped like 5 feet in the air when they started to pound out the song. Everyone stopped and looked all confused. It was beautiful. So they said thanks and "see you later" which of course they would and after some clapping and chanting of "Istanbul" by the Flood obsessed audience They came out and played a song called "Lost" which must have been a DAS. It was really an emotional song and they talked about themselves a lot and how "They might be giant but they took the wrong turn and now they are driving around town" or something like that. Then they played Istanbul and everyone went crazy. So then they left and everyone was clapping but the houselights came on. I was stunned. Later when I grabbed the set list I saw that there weren't even any provisions for another encour. They must have been tired. I must admit that they seemed a lot happier when I drove them back to their hotel . They were joking around with eachother and Flans was telling this story to the lead singer of Cub about how when he was doing a concert along time ago "back when our songs were like a minute long a guy used to yell 'you suck' after each song. So we played like 35 song and in between each one a guy yelled 'you suck'" They both laughed about this. I would love to talk to the band in an environment where they aren't so stressed but I'm afraid this will never be. Well this has been one of the biggest experiences of my lifetime an I hope you enjoyed it. ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Fri, 22 Nov 96 16:44:42 MST Subject: TMBG: Various Sundry Posts CRUDDY MUSIC I've said it before and I'll say it again: the most excellent music usually takes time for it to "grow" on you. Take any Beethoven symphony. Please. Like No. 6. (Just kidding, I really LOVE Ludwig Von.) Some of the tunes that climb right up the charts like a rocket and you can't stop humming them, plunge back down the charts even quicker. And after a few years you don't EVER want to hear them again. The rankings of hit songs/albums should be based on chart longevity and track much more than the top 100. At least 1000. Both variety and repitition are traditionally deemed to be essential elements to melody. (There are also minimalist, serialist, and other less traditional factions who might disagree.) It's the crucial mix of all these elements that require the creative genius. And melody is just one element of music. There's harmony, rhythm, and tone color, too. (I learned that in my 7th-grade general music class.) My favorite Frank Zappa quote applies: "... some people who have a limited scope have a feeling that things that do not appeal to them directly on an emotional level are either not particularly suited to their taste, worthless--or don't exist at all, depending on how narrow their vision is--" (No Commercial Potential, p. 143, David Walley, 1972) FREAK FLAG comes from the song "Almost Cut My Hair" from the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young Album "Deja Vu". I think Stills wrote it. In the song, he calls his long hair is his "freak flag". Almost cut my hair ... But I didn't and I wonder why I feel like letting my freak flag fly ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:05:45 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: TMBG Article in UCLA Newspaper This article was in today's UCLA Daily Bruin. I'll post it now. I hope no one else has already done so... if that's the case, here's an apology in advance. The article is the main article of the Arts & Entertainment section, which takes up the centerfold portion. It features a big photo illustration of the Johns in suits, looking stiff and serious, looming over UCLA. A movie poster-like caption gives the title: "ATTACK OF THE KILLER GIANTS" They Might Be Giants' John Flansburgh looks back on a dozen years of weirdness and whimsical ideas that made the band the archetype of perverse pop they are today. By Brian Rernick Daily Bruin Contributor In a time when the main concern of bands is whether or not their next album will sell enough copies, it's comforting to find They Might Be Giants still intact. Even if they are completely insane. TMBG are making their way back to Los Angeles this weekend, and they're bringing with them a new blend of strangely provocative songs from their latest album, "Factory Showroom." The album marks their second with a full band and their sixth overall. Originally just John Flansburgh on electric guitar and John Linnell on the accordion, They Might Be Giants have definitely matured. "It's really been kind of an evolution," says Flansburgh. "When John and I started, we always felt like what we were doing was very cool and the right thing for us. Now that we have a full band, it fills out the musical portion in a very compelling way." It was '83 when Flansburgh and Linnell first brought their unique New York pop style to the music scene. Understandably, the scene was a bit wary of accepting them. "We were so worried about a moment going by that wasn't filled in with action. We were using coffee as a narcotic," says Flansburgh. "On one level we were very nervous about boring people, but on another level we had this manic agenda - anything that made it edgier was a good thing." Is there such a thing as too edgy? "'Lincoln' (their second album) sounds really pushy to me," says Flansburgh. "I don't think it sounds obnoxious - it's not filled with burping noises. We just wanted to pack so much in that it strikes me as anxiety-making music." Songs like "Don't Let's Start," their first major single, do have an anxious feel about them. But it's that fast-paced energy that shaped early TMBG. "The two-piece thing really allowed us a personal freedom of expression that made the band what it is," says Flansburgh. "If we hadn't figured out that kind of strategy I don't think we would still be working." The band's last album, "John Henry," their first with a full band, showed a distinct change in their recording style. Mixing and overdubbing were replaced with a live sound that Flansburgh admits doesn't fit them well. The new album focuses more on a broken-up recording style. "There have always been a lot of unjustifiable elements flying into the middle of our songs. All of our records have these passages where something that hasn't been playing for the first two minutes of the song just jumps in," says Flansburgh proudly. "I know a lot of musicians who find that idea basically offensive. [They'll say], 'Well, where does that sound come from? Has it just been sitting in the corner of the room this whole time?"' Obscure, uncommon sounds have been an attribute of TMBG since the beginning, especially the accordion, an instrument that defines a large portion of their early material and, to a greater extent, their live performances. "It's strange because when we first started using the accordion, it didn't have the cultural meaning to us that it obviously had for other people," says Flansburgh. "The woman who lent us our first accordion [acted like she] was dropping off a barrel of toxic waste. 'I won't have to have _that_ in my closet for awhile."' Satirical views like this give TMBG an undefinable style that appears on every album and in every live performance. They never fail to surprise you with a new way of looking at things. "I Can Hear You," a track from the new album was recorded at the Edison Laboratory in New Jersey on a wax cylinder without the use of electricity, a technique made obvious by the terrible sound quality on the album. In classic TMBG style, the lyrics identify places where speakers are renowned for being muffled - i.e. "What's your order? /I can super-size that..." Songs like these aren't unusual for a typical TMBG album. In fact, some songs can even be too crazy for a typical album. "We've done a lot of EPs [extended plays] over the years," says Flansburgh. It's a great form for us because we can put a lot of songs on EPs that don't really fit on albums because - in all honesty - they're a bit over the top." So what makes a song over the top? "They just have a rubber banana aspect to them that takes away from the flow of an album," says Flansburgh. "They represent the very few songs that we don't feel comfortable with being critiqued." Criticism is possible, however, only when you have something to compare to, which, in the case of TMBG, is hard to come by. "We're definitely 51 percent art project, 49 percent rock band," says Flansburgh. While the creativity isn't being strained by any means, even Flansburgh can't help but look back on the last decade in amazement. "We started in '83, for Christ's sake," he says. "We've been around for _too_long_." A few people might disagree with that though. CONCERT: They Might Be Giants play the El Rey Theater with Cub on Friday (sold out) and the Palace with Frank Black on Saturday. For tickets call Ticketmaster at (213)480-3232. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 05:05:51 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Concert in S.F. set list (sort of) and personal clarification Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Hidey-ho, everyone, > I just got back from the Warfield show, and booooyyy am I psyched! This was > my first They show AND my first rock concert, and it was so incredibly > wonderful that I am wandering around with this goofy grin on my face... > First things first. I got to San Francisco about 6 and hopped into line. I > was about 50 people back and therefore got a great spot in the theater > (thanks to everyone who gave me advice!) where I had a clear, unobstructed > view of the stage and fairly calm surroundings. I also managed to meet up > with Matt in Sacramento (hi Matt!) and his wife Nikki (sp?), by the simple Not that anyone but me even cares, but I felt this needed clarification: Nikki was a former member of this list who unsubscribed a few months ago. Wednesday night was the first night I had ever met her. She isn't my wife - my wife was holding my place farther up in line. Sorry for wasting list space with this, but it was just kind of weird seeing "his wife Nikki". (sorry for the mix-up, Nicole) For those who care about such things, the following songs were played at the concert. These are not in order, and are grouped according to which album they were on (it's the only way I can remember). Don't Let's Start Ana Ng Birdhouse in Your Soul Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Particle Man Twisting Dig My Grave Spider The Guitar Subliminal Snail Shell Sleeping in the Flowers Spy (Flans conducting) S-E-X-X-Y Til My Head Falls Off How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Exquisite Dead Guy (with puppets) Metal Detector New York City Your Own Worst Enemy XTC vs. Adam Ant James K. Polk Pet Name Older They Got Lost Counterfeit Faker Maybe I Know (or Maybe I'm Wrong, or something similar - I can't quite remember the title. It was a song written in the 1950's by Leslie Gore. a very cool song) That's all I remember. If anyone wants to know the setlist (in order) from the Tower Records show, let me know. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Clarissa From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 21:29:05 EST On Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:07:56 -0800 J Mathews writes: >Christi587@aol.com wrote: >>"the John >> without the glasses from They Might Be Giants," as the first few notes >>of Ana > >I know nick's intensions were good, but don't both Johns have glasses? >correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, they both wear glasses, but one almost never wears them in public or in promotions of any kind. Can you guess which one that is? *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: 2040 tour shirt Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 21:32:09 -0500 (EST) At the second to last concert I went to (Philly) I tried to get this 2040 tour shirt and it was sold out before the concert ended!! It's popular and I want one of them. Ahh I couldn't buy it in New York, guess I will have to wait unitl February to get it at Irving Plaza. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 21:53:30 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Clarissa > > Yes, they both wear glasses, but one almost never wears them in > public or in promotions of any kind. Can you guess which one that is? > that would be John Linnel. Flansburgh is always wearing glasses.... ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: SonicNet Prizes From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 22:11:45 EST I also got the following message, but there are still no prizes in my letterbox! > send your info... Anyone else in this situation? Thanks... BTW, I think the Factory Showroom album cover is really ugly. +++ From the desk of Justin W. Smith +++ jsmith@e-tex.com -- justin@tmbg.org -- istanbul@juno.com "Yes, well, you geeks are an odd blend of doors and brakes." -Douglas Coupland, microserfs +++ The above letter is 100% accurate. My modem has Error Checking. +++ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Duh From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 22:11:45 EST On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 06:39:24 -0800 Herne writes: >Okay having been here a few months I claim the right to ask two stupid > >questions... > >1.)What is King of Wingo? Is it a Dial A Song? I know this has already been answered, but King of Wingo is a DAS which appeared on the Power of DialaSong compilation a while back. I recently recorded it and Edison Museum off of Dial-A-Song and was going to post the latter on the net, but that project has been back-burnered due to technical problems. Thanks to all those who offered the web space, however. >2.)What exactly is a freak flag? Here is my personal interp. of this part of the song, 'raise my freak flag higher, and never be alone'. I feel that it has to do with the ridiculous emphasis on 'individuallity' in our culture. Everyone wants to be popular, but being popular isn't popular, so you must make it known that you are an individual and that you do not care about popularity in order to become popular. Therefore, if you act like you are different and don't care about anything you will always be able to find friends who are also different and don't care about anything. >thank you, > >Herne > You're welcome. +++ From the desk of Justin W. Smith +++ jsmith@e-tex.com -- justin@tmbg.org -- istanbul@juno.com "Yes, well, you geeks are an odd blend of doors and brakes." -Douglas Coupland, microserfs +++ The above letter is 100% accurate. My modem has Error Checking. +++ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 22:41:53 -0500 (EST) From: Nathan Smith Subject: TMBG: DAS I heard people talking about the power of dial-a-song compilation. Is there anyway to get it still. Also, is there anyplace to get songs that were on the DAS without waiting for THEN. ---===Nathan Smith nathasm@bgnet.bgsu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:22:35 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Various Sundry Posts Russ Josephson 516-4722 , 303 wrote: > > CRUDDY MUSIC > > I've said it before and I'll say it again: > the most excellent music usually takes time for it to "grow" on you. > Take any Beethoven symphony. Please. Like No. 6. > (Just kidding, I really LOVE Ludwig Von.) > > Some of the tunes that climb right up the charts like a rocket > and you can't stop humming them, plunge back down the charts even quicker. > And after a few years you don't EVER want to hear them again. > The rankings of hit songs/albums should be based on chart longevity and > track much more than the top 100. At least 1000. hehe. better yet, they should count how many are sold to used record stores a week after they are bought. I talked to a guy at the used record store by my house. He said people come in on Fridays and sell all the CDs that were fads last week so they can party or something. Crazy kids these days... Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 01:00:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: i was at a record store and found Organization: West Virginia Network on record, the soundtrack to a musical called the Bells are Ringing. is there any connection? it was from the 50's sam ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 01:42:19 -0500 Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y CD5 I just got S-E-X-X-Y today for seven bucks. It's pretty good! I don't like the radio mix as much as the album version. The Warren Rigg Microwave Mix is about 8 mins. of techno which is what can be expected of a They remix. I like this version of SenSurround better because it's faster and less average-song sounding although I miss the ba ba ba.. part. I like Unforgotten a lot but I liked it better when it had the accordian in it rather than the organ. I think We Got a World That Swings is the best song on the ep and the beginning kind of reminds me of The Boy From Iponema". Although I like it a lot, I could picture them playing it on Muppets Tonight or something, just because it sounds like that kind of song. I think I'm becoming too critical of these Giants, but I do really like this ep. nick ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-321 ******************************