Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-322 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 322 Sunday, 24 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: The Chance TMBG: Orange Couch Fad (Ben Folds Five & TMBG) Re: TMBG: Re: Clarissa TMBG: re: glam rock TMBG: Istanbul single TMBG: PopFlash: A techno-gadget exhibit, and more (fwd) TMBG: They'd be fools to go back to Bar/None... TMBG: Pittsburgh show... TMBG: I'm Sorry TMBG: in the City of Angels p.1 Re: TMBG: I'm Sorry Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y CD5 TMBG: record store/talk.com TMBG: Live at the El rey on 11/22 TMBG: Parties before Chicago and Milwaukee shows TMBG: Radio Radio Re: TMBG: Radio Radio Re: TMBG: They'd be fools to go back to Bar/None... TMBG: Tmbg show at El Rey and the brief return of Rabid Child TMBG: "intellectuals meet...with otha intellectuals..." TMBG: re larry sanders Re: TMBG: Color Associations Re: TMBG: Color Associations Re: TMBG: Finally Played Factory Showroom Re: TMBG: Guitar Was The Case TMBG: Fwd: [Kime17@aol.com: Fwd: Classified Ads] TMBG: The 70s TMBG: brief blurb TMBG: BOOM TMBG: Gold Lame Aprons Re: TMBG: Gold Lame Aprons TMBG: CD5? Re: TMBG: Fwd: [Kime17@aol.com: Fwd: Classified Ads] Re: TMBG: BOOM TMBG: Re: CD5 Re: TMBG: They'd be fools to go back to Bar/None... TMBG: A NOTE TO EVERYONE Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 02:36:17 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: TMBG: The Chance I just got back from seeing my friends' band (Lettuce Boy) at The Chance in Poughkeepsie. (If you're in New Haven, CT next week, check 'em out at the Tune Inn with JC Superska) At any rate, I learned that America's Greatest Rock N' Roll Band (no, not Aerosmith) will be playing there on Dec. 15th. I wonder if anyone else on this list will be attending this auspicious event? Also, is there a Sarah Kunz still on this list? I promised you a recording of Planet Squeezebox, and I finally got it done. Send me your mailing address, and I'll send the thing out immediately. Now, I really must be getting some rest.... -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 02:49:49 -0500 From: The Flying Pollock Subject: TMBG: Orange Couch Fad (Ben Folds Five & TMBG) What is with the striking similarity between the S-E-X-X-Y single cover and the Ben Folds Five back cover? To make things more expedient, I shall tell you what the similarity is...Close-ups of ORANGE couches. Orange couches? Those haven't been in style since the seventies. Even then, I don't know. By berating the unstylish factor of such couches, I am implying that TMBG must at least OWN the BFF album if not be influenced by it. Maybe someone already mentioned this, but I haven't seen it. I just bought Ben Folds a week or two ago due to some good advice on this list, but upon seeing the back cover, it was a bit strange. What are the odds of a coincidence?...not very good. I realize that the whole concept of the couch refers to Flans' explanation of the song (which I prefer to fully ignore as to enable myself to ever enjoy listening to the song) as being "our first ode to getting it on", but why not a shot of a purple polka-dot mattress? - -=-=-The Flying Pollock>>>>>>>>Casey Grunnet=-=-=-=-=-=-=- <><><>Penn State University-Altoona<><><> ckg110@psu.edu-=-==-=-=Jaluit22@aol.com-=-=-Jaluit on IRC=-= "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful"===>TMBG (~~~~~They Might Be Giants~~~~~Rocky Horror~~~~~XFiles~~~~~) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 03:10:08 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Clarissa Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Nov-96 TMBG: Re: Clarissa by J Mathews@ix.netcom.com > I know nick's intensions were good, but don't both Johns have glasses? > correct me if I'm wrong. John Linnell wears glasses off stage. In concert and in all their videos (with the exception of "I am Not Your Broom") he does not wear glasses. So as far as we're concerned... no, not really. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 00:49:12 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: re: glam rock Warchild posted that glam rock was the "hair metal bans sound". Actually this is not true. Most of the hair metal bands were Van Halen/Motley crue wannabes who dressed metal but were basically bad pop rock with delusions of Toto. Glam rock is more of the outlandish stylings of Gary Glitter, T. Rex to an extant and of course early 70's Bowie. that dressed up outrageousness mixed with rock posturing and pseudo-Vegas-isms...or something like that. too tired to post effectively, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 01:23:26 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Istanbul single Hidey-ho, everyone I just got back from _Star Trek: First Contact_, and I'm sure you'll all be relieved to know that Capt. Picard and the crew of the Enterprise manage to defeat the Borg and save humanity. Along the way to the theater, I stopped by my local used-records store, and what to my wondering eyes should appear... but a copy of the Istanbul single! This sucks (for me) because it's one of the only discontinued ones that I already have. My point here is that, should anyone want this copy of the Istanbul single, I'll be glad to buy it for you and send it. Any interest? It's a cd, selling for $7.98, which I agree is expensive, but hey. Not even the info club sells it anymore. E-mail me privately, no need to clutter up the list. And answer fast. I will not buy this single unless I have a taker for it (hey, I already have a copy), and there's only the one copy left in the store. Jeepers, that sounded like a high-pressure sales ad... --nicole the wonder nerd is not your broom. *** "The bells are pealing, and they're revealing the simple key to happiness. It isn't good, it isn't evil-- it's only what the people miss." --They Might be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 13:56:01 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: PopFlash: A techno-gadget exhibit, and more (fwd) This is a magnum... Just thought I'd pass this piece of info on. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson World of the Flumcake:-http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109 Derwent College University of York "I couldn't say 'I can't come to pottery this Heslington evening, I've got to decide whether we need York a new nuclear submarine or not' besides, I'd YO1 5DD never finish my teapot" ...and I'm not afraid to drink it ________________________________________________________________________________ New in Pop Talk: Replay the live audio chat with Dial-a-Song impresarios John Flansburgh and John Linnell of They Might Be Giants. Also: Hear media artist Lynn Hershman Leeson talk about altered identities in cyberspace and her upcoming film starring Timothy Leary and R. U. Sirius. http://www.hotwired.com/poptalk/archive/index.html ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:40:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: They'd be fools to go back to Bar/None... Hi! I agree with Joshua Hall-Bachner that the list should be moderated. The best argument for this can be found in the digest archives in which last week's "subscribe the list to itself" issue has been immortalized. Also, I think moderation would make the digest a lot easier to read. I'm not sure why some people are against this. Yossarian: >S-E-X-X-Y: I don't care if it sounds like old TMBG. I don't remember anyone saying that it was. I think it was the opposite, actually. >I am getting very annoyed at all these people who think that since they >like sexxy and XTCvAA they are better than the rest of us. Uh, who are these people, exactly? Could you be specific? I don't remember this being a common stance of list members. To Matthew Coon: What exactly happened to Flans from 1992-94 when he came out to chat with fans? You've piqued my interest. >Let's see... Linnell for english..Flans for math, Dave Foley for global studies, >Scott Thompson for biology, yeeah! And Kevin McDonald would teach french. >That would be so neat... I'm sorry, Sarah, but Dave Foley would have to involve himself in medical training (even though his character is totally inept at it, apart from referrals). We've already seen Kevin teach French on the Kids In The Hall, so we'd have a pretty good idea of just how hilarious that would be (very hilarious). You know, I'd never skip school, if this was my courseload. J Matthews: >I have an idea...2 words with a dash between them...BAR/NONE GODDAMNIT!!!!! >come on, 3 vids per album. what ever they want to put out, whenever. Ah well... Videos are a waste, MTV doesn't play them anyway, so very few people see them. Therefore, who cares? Elektra's records have wider distribution than Bar None's, which means more sales and more money for the Johns. As for putting out what they want to, check the discography. Three singles were released for Apollo 18 and two for John Henry. Bar None wasn't exactly releasing five or six singles from Their albums, now were they? Both are releasing two-disc sets as well, so I see the output of Their label eras as being pretty much similar. Elektra is clueless with TMBG, but Bar None would sink them down another level in terms of visibility. Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 20:53:39 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh show... It's about time... A few things I'd like to say... a large group (10-20 at least) of people here at CMU are going to be at the concert, and if anyone from CMU is reading this that I don't know of, please subscribe to graffiti.tmbg so we can all discuss it locally and organize something... Who else outside of CMU is going to this so we can all meet up and stuff... Secondly, people talked about some www.talk.com interview/talk with TMBG. How can I listen to this? I went to the site, and not only was it horribly Netscaped, but I didn't see any link that could possibly have led to the file... Of course, now that they're coming to Pittsburgh, I won't be going to the Cleveland show. I just couldn't justify seeing them twice in a week, nor could I justify driving 2+ hours to see cub, even though they're really cool... oh well. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 10:10:19 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I'm Sorry I have been on the list for a while, but at first I didn't understand what TBTB was, so until I figured it out, I was behind on this. Could someone tell me how to get to TBTB using Windows 95 CD Player? I am also getting a discman soon, so also, how would I get to it on a discman? Joel Gedalius http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: in the City of Angels p.1 From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:19:34 EST Hi everybody! I went to the El Rey Theater show in L.A. last night. Nice to meet some cows. Cub opened up, but they were kinda disappointing cause the vocals werent loud enough. They only played 2 songs from Come out come out. Most of the songs were from their new CD. But I did get a tape of them for Brooks. They played a good length, about 40 minutes. On to They..... Heres the setlist: intro - Lady is a Tramp played over PA system as band takes stage S-E-X-X-Y - Linnell plays clavinet-sounding patch in place of horn section Birdhouse in Your Soul Sleeping in the Flowers James K. Polk Your Own Worst Enemy NYC Subliminal Counterfeit Faker - yee-haw! Particle Man Older - groovy contrapuntal bass part by Graham Ana Ng - new intro. Linnell looked dang bored singing it, tho. Turn Around - !!!! Spy - fairly short conducted section XTC vs Adam Ant - extended ending, as the roadies set up the stuff for.... Exquisite Dead Guy Snail Shell Don't Let's Start Why Does the Sun Shine? Until My Head Falls Off 1st encore: Spider The Guitar Instanbul (not Constantinople) Dig My Grave - intro played in a slow triple meter. Rest of the song thrashed to bits. 2nd encore: They Got Lost Twisting I got an excellent quality tape of both Them and Cub for whoevers interested in trading. Only by the grace of John did I get past the strip-search people. If you have my House of Blues tape, the quality is just as excellent. I do plan to tape tonights show too, and I will post upon success. Mike, Ill post about the instore as soon as I get the video transferred. (Did someone say video?) G "I used to rock and roll all night and party evurry day. Then it was every other day, then it was a half-hour a week...." - Homer Simpson ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:48:40 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Sorry At 10:10 AM 11/23/96 -0500, you wrote: >I have been on the list for a while, but at first I didn't understand what >TBTB was, so until I figured it out, I was behind on this. Could someone >tell me how to get to TBTB using Windows 95 CD Player? > >I am also getting a discman soon, so also, how would I get to it on a >discman? For Win95 CD player, I don't think it's possible. :< For a Discman, if it has the second-skip button, you should be able to play TBTB by playing S-E-X-X-Y and holding down the second-skip-back button until the numbers get into the negative digits... Good luck, and ttyl, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:49:00 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y CD5 Cool! Do you know someone in a record store? How did you get it before Tues.? TTYL, -Adam Tyner At 01:42 AM 11/23/96 -0500, you wrote: >I just got S-E-X-X-Y today for seven bucks. It's pretty good! I don't like >the radio mix as much as the album version. The Warren Rigg Microwave Mix is >about 8 mins. of techno which is what can be expected of a They remix. I >like this version of SenSurround better because it's faster and less >average-song sounding although I miss the ba ba ba.. part. I like >Unforgotten a lot but I liked it better when it had the accordian in it >rather than the organ. I think We Got a World That Swings is the best song >on the ep and the beginning kind of reminds me of The Boy From Iponema". > Although I like it a lot, I could picture them playing it on Muppets Tonight >or something, just because it sounds like that kind of song. I think I'm >becoming too critical of these Giants, but I do really like this ep. > >nick > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: record store/talk.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:51:32 -0500 (EST) My friend went to Record & Tape Traders today and he said that he saw on the upcoming album board They Might Be Giants listed! They do not list singles on these boards so it must be some kind of album. Factory Showroom has already been out so what could this possibly be referring to..Then..The Early Years perhaps? I thought that wasn't until Jan or Feb? Hmm I will have to go take a lookie.... As for talk.com, I was very very confused when I went to this site. They did a horrible job of telling you what to do to get hooked up to the ReaAudio chat. It said, "Come here at 6:45PST to hear the chat with TMBG". It didn't say at all what to do. I could not see anywhere where it said you needed some kind of Java plug-in to do the chat. That is one of the worst site setups I've ever seen! Luckily I signed up with hotwired.com minutes before the chat and was able to partake in hearing it over RealAudio. At 6:45 that message that said Come Here changed to "Listen to TMBG on 28.8 or 14.4 connection". These were links to get the Real Audio started. As for listening to it now that it's over, I'm n ot sure if you can do that. A few of us taped it but my copy came out really quiet, I think my out jack on my computer was messed up. I'll be ready next time though! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:33:51 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Live at the El rey on 11/22 It's the morning after and I am beat. Not from the show but from only getting 3 hours of sleep a night all week. Too many concerts, too many 13 hour work days, too much e-mail...whatever. I went to the show alone and hooked up with Kathleen Jo Falconer and brood. We hung out at the tables and wathed the show. Her kids disappeared into the floor zone. The floor itself appeared quite calm from a distance. Overall the crowd itself didn't seem to be on the wild side and although the show was supposedly sold out it didn't seem that crowded to me. Cub's opening set was energetic but a bit muddy soundwise...I'm not sure if this was them or the El Rey...everyone I've seen there hasn't excactly sounded crystal clear although Suzanne Vega came closest. I had never heard any cub previously but I liked what I could make out through the din. And they were all really attractive to boot. I saw their guitarist selling CD's out front afterwards. this whole TMBG thing must be some kind of big break for them. they seemed really hapy to be there. Re: NYC they did mention that they weren't going to play it because TMBG was. TMBG: On first look JL looked taller and Graham Maby looked shorter. Other than that...Once again that sound thing. It seemed to get better as the show went along. Or it could be that I got used to it. The band also didn't seem quite as tight as in previous outings. They weren't exactly sloppy per se but sometimes they seemed to stumble into the older songs like Ana NG. They quipped after that one that they were still learning it. I wrote the set list in the dark on the bank of a ATM receipt so here goes nothing... SEXXY Birdhouse Sleeping with the Flowers James K. Polk Your Own Worst Enemy New York City Subliminal Counterfeit faker---they quipped that most of the crowd didn't know it and neither did the band. Particle Man---not a favorite of mine but very well executed. I liked the song much better live. Older---I had never heard this before but I had heard about it from the list. I really liked it. Ana Ng---on the sloppy side Turn Around---the evening's surprise for me. And a great performance. A highlight. Spy XTC vs. Adam Ant Equisite Dead Guy---not what I imagined visually puppet wise. I was too far back to really see their faces clearly but amusing nonetheless. Snail Shell Don't Let's Start---another surprise given their current history of not playing pre-Flood material...a rousing rendition as well. It made me remember why I used to like it before I got sick of it.( or something like that) Why Does the Sun Shine? Until My Head Falls Off Encore #1---Spider---What a hoot to see this live...I never knew it was Linnell doing all the "I promise not to kill you" stuff. Hilarious. the Guitar Dig My Grave Istanbul Encore # 2 they Got Lost---never heard this before except on the list. Twisting So there it is. I guess my regrets are of the usual variety...the pining for more oldies of the obscure variety...better sound at the venue...a longer show. I am convinced this is the shortest wshow I have ever seen them play. 1 hour 20 min. approx. They threw in a plug for tonight's show at the Palace and I think I might be a freak and go see them again. Maybe they'll play other stuff and it would be cool to see Frank Black. If I'm there I'll be wearing my cool new TMBG long sleeve I bought at the show and black jeans. I have long hair and a Van Dyke beard. Later, Herne ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 15:37:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Parties before Chicago and Milwaukee shows Hello 41- Good news in Giantville! There will be a party before the show at the Safehouse. The Safehouse is an ultra-groovy restaurant right near the Rave with a "spy" them. The doors to the show will open at 7:00. Everybody is encouraged to get there at about 5:00-5:30. Please email me if you are going, and don't forget to wear your Hello nametag, so we know who you are! For the Chicago show, it's smiple. Right next to the Riveria (Broadway and Lawrence) is a pancake/waffle house. We will meet there probably a little after 5:00 or so, because They are also doing an instore at Tower Records at 2301 N. Clark that starts at 4:00. After the instore ends, I/we will all go to the pancake house, and will leave there at probably 5:30/5:45 Doors open at 6:00, so we can all get in line too. Make sure to email me if you are going to be any/all of the events, and to wear your Hello nametag. Doors open at 6:00, so we can all get in line and get good spots to see Linnell stare at us. *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* I was laying on the porch as the bus drove by, just talking to the dog about thinking to myself. -TMBG Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:55:22 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Radio Radio Yesterday at work a friend called me over to the radio and told me TMBG was on the Regular Guys show. The Regular guys being these really f***cking horrendous, infantile a**holes on the local talk radio station which my friend knows better than to listen to in my presence BUT they were on for like an hour. I unfortunately only came in at the end. They played a rousing version of TMHFO w/ accordian and electric guitar only. One of the Regular Guys quipped afterwards that the song was about masturbating in the shower stall to which one or both of the Johns replied that was a horrific comment. At least I think they did, our reception was poor. They left soon afterwards after making a plug for an in-store appearence at Aron's records...which if I could have left work, I would have gone to. My question though...why were they on KLSX...a talk radio station which only plays music on the weekend. I wonder if the Regular Guys sought them out as they seemed to be fans. But this doesn't save them in my book. They are representative of the lowest form of radio discourse and they should die. Pure and simple. I apologise for this rant but I HATE all of these Howard Stern rip-offs who wish they were Howard but will never even be Baba Booeee (spelling?). These people...I swear to god...they just take opposing postions or make comments that I am convinced they don't really mean just to stir things up. they don't have an original thought in their vacuous f***ing heads. I suppose they are just a symptom of L.A. radio which just f***ing blows dead donkey d***! There's just too much money involved out here for anyone to try to make good radio. All the corporations do is sit around and go "hey there this huge audience...I want it all so I'll play it is safe as possible." Even formerly supposed cutting edge stations like KROQ play the same Stone temple Pilots song as everyone else over and over again. KROQ hardly ever plays TMBG unless it's Don't Lets' Start,Statue, or guitar. When Ana Ng came out and it was huge on every alternative station in the US according to Billboard...they NEVER played it. Though years later it may have showed up as a flashback. 91X in San Diego plays them and plays more of them...or at least they used to. same thing with Joe Jackson for that matter. For all you San Diegans I envy you your 91X. Well I better go. I apologise for all this ranting about L.A. radio. Do you guys in other cities have similar problems with lousy radio? It was much better when I lived in Rhode Island. there were like six different college radio stations and they were all excellent. And plus there was Boston radio which had a lot of great stations. Off to see Star Trek: First Contact. Herne ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Radio Radio Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 16:35:42 -0500 (EST) > Well I better go. I apologise for all this ranting about L.A. radio. > Do you guys in other cities have similar problems with lousy radio? It > was much better when I lived in Rhode Island. there were like six > different college radio stations and they were all excellent. And plus > there was Boston radio which had a lot of great stations. There are some stations out there, yes some good college radio (we don't have college radio here), but there are some good regular stations as possibly with your 91X. 103.1fm WRNR in Annapolis-Baltimore plays Free Form Radio, i.e. Whatever the hell they wanna play, whenever they want to. They have played half of the songs off of FS before it came out just because people called up and requested them. They tend to be way too off in left field occasionally as they will play Blues one minute and then disco the next and then folk and then college radio, some techno and then who knows what. They went from Kraftwerk to Suzanne Vega once, it blew my mind. They like to do those Blues shows, which I can't get into, though. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: They'd be fools to go back to Bar/None... From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:45:12 EST On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:40:24 -0500 Floopyglop@aol.com writes: >I agree with Joshua Hall-Bachner that the list should be moderated. The best >argument for this can be found in the digest archives in which last week's >"subscribe the list to itself" issue has been immortalized. Also, I think >moderation would make the digest a lot easier to read. I'm not sure why some >people are against this. The problems with this are many and close between (as opposed to few and far between). The first problem is that many subscribers to this list are on the actual LIST form and really much prefer it that way. Don't even try to suggest a moderated bounce list. If this were a digest only, especially a moderated digest, I would unsubscribe in a moment. It's bad enough wading through 10-40 messages at a time and I would hate going through a digest. The digest is notorious for making people leave who subscribed to it because their mail boxes crashed too easily, but used to be constant good contributers. The next problem with a moderated digest is that you actually have to find someone to moderate it _and_ get the list owner's permission to do so. There is also the small matter of censorship. Censorship is just plain wrong in any form, regardless of legality or whatever. Some one censoring themself is just plain foolish, you should at least wait till the government tries and then you can blame them. As far as the list being subscribed to itself, people should be able to recognize the tell-tale signs of such an occurence and wait for the list admin to fix it instead of posting thirty times saying the list is messed up. "This is my work place / And these are the people I work with / Yuko and Hiro" -Blur *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 15:04:52 -0800 (PST) From: Rabid_Child Subject: TMBG: Tmbg show at El Rey and the brief return of Rabid Child Greetings, listies, Rabid Child here, pulling a Cameo from a cyber cafe'. My puter's been broken for a few months now, and it's still in the shop, until I can get some fundage, but I thought I'd stopby with a review of the show last night. This was my first show ever, and it was definitely a worthwhile wait after ten years of fandom. there was a fiv3e piece band on stage, J+J, Graham Maybe, Brian Doherty, and some guy named Chris helping out on Guitar. The Johns were very enthusiastic, and they seemed to be having a great time. After a few songs, Linnel said "I just noticed that there is a big mirror at the end of the room, so this whole show will be about us checking out our hair." Brian and Graham did a little posing, and Flans said "Hey, I'm fat!". Other hilights: exquisite Dead guy had J+J pulling the strings of two very macabre doll heads while recordings did the BA-BA's. Lin was trying to match it perfectly, and Flans was just having a ball... Setlist:(My Comments in parentesithethises) SEXXY Birdhouse (L:"Here's another one you might be familiar with") sleeping in the flowers James K. Polk (WITH LA's!) Your own worst enemy New York City Subliminal Counterfeit Faker (Country!!!?) Particle Man Older (No one Knew this one, But I was right there! Thank You Bootleggers!) Ana Ng Turn around (Very Crowd involving) Spy (Much More so) XTC vs. Adam Ant Exquisite dead guy *** Snail Shell Don't let's Start (interesting intro) Why Does the Sun Shine? (Fast) *** (at this point they left stage) --ENCORE-- Spider (Flans went crazy with the mic stand) -Straight into- The Guitar Istanbul not Constantinople (Flans on the gold guitar for an intro, after which Lin said "That's our intro. Cope.") Dig My Grave (Once again they Left) --2nd Encore-- They Might Be Giants Got Lost (Same Note as Older)(Maybe Moreso) Twistin' (End of show) ***(I missed one or two, after Exquis. DG there was one I can't read my notes on, and after Sun...) I made a tape, but someone was really rude and told on me, and a very large guy wearing a staff pro shirt confiscated it... 8o( For me, during Snail Shell, linnell looked right at me during the lyrics "Friend, look what you gave, and how can you ever be repaid." I orgasmed. cub was loud, but not much else, the only song I wanted To hear, NYC, they said they agreed that they wouldn't play it so TMBG would, they were just loud and punky. I'm runnin out of quarters, so I'm off...thanks for listening, and hi to blue Canary and Sophie...(You still Coffee Shop Clerk?) I'll be back online probably before or soon after the new year, and until then, I remain: -Rabid Child (Gee, I hope no one stole my moniker while I was on Hiatus.) (I Hate IBM's and I hate Pine.) ********************************************************************* * "No other Rabid Child is Quite like this RAAAAAAAAAH Rabid Child" * * Now in Las Angeles(Well, OK, Arcadia)CA, 818-446-3696 * * CALL ME IF YOU MADE A BOOT OF THIS SHOW, EVEN A REALLY BAD ONE, I * * MUST HAVE, I MUST, I MUST!(or if you just wanna have some coffee) * ********************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:56:29 -0500 Subject: TMBG: "intellectuals meet...with otha intellectuals..." I wouldn't be online, but my dad called up AOL about billing and said we wouldn't use it til the new unlimited thing kicks in, and they gave us 10 free hours, yeh! So I am saved..So maybe the subject header should say "intellectual meets with 1 intellectual and her friend" but I can't help quoting Gloria. :) okay. my anecdote. I met with our friend Josh (particle@servtech.com) today at this coffee place. :) And I brought my um..friend along. I think we bored her, but... To begin, this is hilarious (IMO, anyway). I was on the wrong street, and stopped at thic cyber cafe ("the Hub") to figure out where the hell I was. A car pulls in the parking lot with bumperstickers reading "Phish", "WBER" (our local TMBG-friendly station), and "They Might Be Giants". The guy gets out of the car, and out of curiousity, I shout "SHEP!!" and sure enough! :D He says hi to you guys, btw. He no longer works at xerox, so that's why he's not on our list anymore. So he told me where to go. Okay. Then I find Josh. And we talk about TMBG and stuff, and my friend is extremely clueless. And we were trying to explian that "coiled" person, and how he was mistreating the newsgroup and Phil, and how Josh mentioned he's "an elder to the newsgroup.." and her response is-- "What? He's old?" sigh..... and I've tried and tried, and she's still only interested in "that birdhouse song." Oh well.... So anyway, I just thought I'd kind of share a bit. I'm sure Josh has something to add. Oh yeah, and I stopped at this one store because they had the WDTSS guy on the awning, but the sales guy knew nothing about it. But he was laughing at the fact it was on my shirt.. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:56:55 -0500 Subject: TMBG: re larry sanders >>It's not meant ironically you moron. The kids in the hall and they might be giants are respective fans of eachother. << Hmmm... I know I should jump in here, but I'm at a loss of words. that is my dream, friends... running into a Kid in the Hall at a TMBG show.. Man o nam, that would be the best day... >>that he also said something about KitH, but whoever posted did not say what. I meant to ask that guy, but I forgot! Does anyone know? A huge fan of both KitH and TMBG needs to know! << Hey Kay! :) he says that his tour manager introduced them to the Kids (in the early days, like when their show was starting out). And he said they are all really nice (well duh! ;)) and since he's gotten cable he's really gotten into them and says they're one of the best projects around. Yay! :) and I remembr someone on the KITH newsgroup saying Flans noticed her KITH shirt. And of course, Brucio likes Them. They (KITH+TMBG) just go so freekin well together!! ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 16:08:08 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Color Associations > This'll be sorts depressing, but here are the colors I see: > 0 - forest green with little specks of yellow light > 1 - black and grey > 2 - dark dark blue with hints of green the whole thing tinted black > 3 - black as night > 4 - greyish light penetrating a dark space > 5 - dark and cloudy > 6 - black with neon backround lighting > 7 - a dark room with daylight streaming through the cracks > 8 - all black > 9 - yellow and blue > 10 - grass green and blue sky > 11 - same as metal detector > 12 - candy yellow > 13 - orange and green > > told you it was depressing I don't find it depressing, I'm jsut surprised you found songs like UMHFO so dark. And to whoever said it reminded them of Mario on Nintendo 64, I never thought of the connection, but now that I do it's rather scary how closely they match. I think I'll avhe to rent (or borrow from a firend) one, turn off the sound, and play UMHFO on repeat! Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 16:13:09 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Color Associations > I really do not see what any of you are talking about when you say I see > this or that color when listening to a song... for me it is an emotion. I > relate lyrics to past experience, this is how I can relate. > > If anyone would like to clue me in to this color/song thing, I wouldn't > mind hearing what you have to say! :) Well, it's not as much that everything yo see is red or blue or whatever. For me, it's when I picutre what the song is about, everything sort of has a color (or it's gray, but that's also a color, so..). Or if I don't picure anything specific, then just blobs of color. Like Birdhouse; there's black with splotches of blue and yellow instead of actual images. Or, mabye this whole color thing is merely some people's attempts to put the emotions in a tangible sense that we can talk about. I mean, color really does express feelings well, so mabye that's what this "color thing" is all about.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 16:17:47 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Finally Played Factory Showroom > If you want more try playing Token Back To Brooklyn... I just thought of something. Is TBTB on the cassette version of FS? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:01:27 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitar Was The Case > I've always thought that that song would have been absolutely perfect as the > opener for some kind of superhero movie... Not the dark kind, like Batman > or whatever, but I can just see that being the opening music to, say, > the Guy Gardner (sp?) Green Lantern, or something similar... Wow! What a way > to open up a movie! (or an album, for that matter...) SAME HERE! Only I pictured it at the beginning of a spy movie, but.. Okay, picture this.. Shot of a desert (somewhere in NEvada, perhaps) with a road. Guitar was the Case starts playing, and you see a cloud of dust in the distance. A white volvo comes racing by, and the camera turns and follows it. Other stuff too. It ends with the driver turning down the radio (and along wtih it, the song) and the camera pulls back to show the volvo stuck in traffic. It would be a comedy spy movie, and if I had the budget, I'd make it in a second. One fo my firends even has a white volvo! And it's all because of that song. BTW, some of my firends swear the song is the one Mad TV uses for Spy vs Spy, and I am unable to convince them otherwise.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 19:12:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Fwd: [Kime17@aol.com: Fwd: Classified Ads] --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Fwd: [Kime17@aol.com: Fwd: Classified Ads] Date: 96-11-23 17:56:35 EST From: SmartGi To: Yoel97 --------------------- Forwarded message: From: jlm2@po.CWRU.Edu (Jennifer L. Mayer) Reply-to: jlm2@po.CWRU.Edu (Jennifer L. Mayer) To: skame01@emory.edu, bll@po.CWRU.Edu, sbs6@po.CWRU.Edu, mheartm@aol.com, smartgi@aol.com, schwar@cooper.edu Date: 96-11-20 15:51:19 EST ================= Begin forwarded message ================= From: Kime17@aol.com (unknown) To: Jr1015@ix.netcom.com, LVdorick@aol.com, Cookie216@aol.com, Onebighugr@aol.com, sps4@lehigh.edu, dreamthink@juno.com, Mpyre9@mindspring.com, SKoppei1@ic3.ithaca.edu, JimPell@panix.com, jlm2@po.cwru.edu, PoohJac@aol.com, molinlli@bucknell.edu, Cello7@aol.com, Isles4@aol.com, Jane1952@aol.com Subject: Fwd: Classified Ads Date: Wed, 20 Nov --------------------- Forwarded message: From: be82647@binghamton.edu (Yusuke Tomizawa) To: jwc5@po.cwru.edu CC: Kime17@aol.com, PANDORAL7G@aol.com, pef2@cornell.edu Date: 96-11-20 12:09:35 EST >Return-Path: kplgsas@mail.utexas.edu >Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:04:17 -0600 (CST) >X-Sender: kplgsas@mail.utexas.edu >To: chanjenn@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu, littleflower@mail.utexas.edu, > be25796@binghamton.edu, be81992@binghamton.edu, be81822@binghamton.edu, > be82825@binghamton.edu, be82647@binghamton.edu, munch@mail.utexas.edu, > be82000@binghamton.edu, be81935@binghamton.edu, be82058@binghamton.edu, > s951215@wkg1.umac.mo, kplgsas@mail.utexas.edu >From: kplgsas@mail.utexas.edu (Anna) >Subject: Classified Ads > >> >> >>Classified Ads >>(Actual excerpts from classified sections of city newspapers) >>------------------------------------------------------- >> >> Illiterate? Write today for free help. >> >> Auto Repair Service. Free pick-up and delivery. Try us once, >> you'll never go anywhere again. >> >> Our experienced Mom will care for your child. Fenced yard, >meals, >> and smacks included. >> Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children. >> >> Man wanted to work in dynamite factory. Must be willing to >> travel. >> >> Stock up and save. Limit: one. >> >> Semi-Annual after-Christmas Sale. >> >> 3-year old teacher needed for pre-school. Experience preferred. >> >> Mixing bowl set designed to please a cook with round bottom >> for efficient beating. >> >> Girl wanted to assist magician in cutting-off-head illusion. >> Blue Cross and salary. >> >> Dinner Special -- Turkey $2.35; Chicken or Beef $2.25; Children >> $2.00 >> >> For sale: antique desk suitable for lady with thick legs and >> large drawers. >> >> Now is your chance to have your ears pierced and get an extra >>pair >> to take home, too. >> >> We do not tear your clothing with machinery. We do it >> carefully by hand. >> >> For sale. Three canaries of undermined sex. Great Dames for >> sale. >> >> Have several very old dresses from grandmother in beautiful >>condition. >> >> Tired of cleaning yourself. Let me do it. >> >> Vacation Special: have your home exterminated. Get rid of >aunts. >> >> Zap does the job in 24 hours. >> >> Toaster: A gift that every member of the family >> appreciates. Automatically burns toast. >> >> For Rent: 6-room hated apartment. >> >> Man, honest. Will take anything. >> >> Used Cars: Why go elsewhere to be cheated. Come here first. >> >> Christmas tag-sale. Handmade gifts for the hard-to-find person. >> >> Wanted: Hair cutter. Excellent growth potential. >> >> Wanted. Man to take care of cow that does not smoke or drink. >> >> Our bikinis are exciting. They are simply the tops. >> >> Wanted. Widower with school age children requires person to >> assume general housekeeping duties. Must be capable of >> contributing to growth of family. >> >> And now, the Superstore-unequaled in size, unmatched in >> variety, unrivaled inconvenience. >> >> We will oil your sewing machine and adjust tension in your >> home for $1.00. >> >> and the following, always posted at polling places this time of >> year: >> >> "If you are blind or cannot read, ask for assistance" >> >> >> >> >> >> > > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1985 20:08:58 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: The 70s Anyone else think the album has a 70s 'feel' to it? References to old songs (freak flag/guy with the messed up face)...S-E-X-X-Y EP Orange couch... Instrumentation... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:16:49 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: brief blurb Hit List preview, San Francisco Bay Guardian 11/20/96 "Is there anything these dorks can't do? 'I want to raise my freak flag= higher and higher,' sing They Might Be Giants on their latest record= _Factory Showroom_. Well, how high does it get? Once again, TMBG tinker= with rock, pop, new wave and Moog weirdness. Speaking of catchy and cute,= Vancouver's Cub open [sic] the show." -Bob http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: BOOM From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:24:58 EST This is best saw using courier font. >>>> **** * * *** * * >>>> * * ** * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * * * * * * >>>> **** * ** *** * * >>>> >>>> *** * * * >>>> * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * >>>> ***** ******* * * >>>> * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * >>>> * * * * * * >>>> ***** * * ****** ****** >>>> >>>> Consider yourself hit by a snowball. I win! >>>> >>>> >>>>************************************************************************ >>>> Send this message to as many people as possible, in the first >>>> >>>> *UMASS E-MAIL SNOWBALL FIGHT!* >>>> >>>> Send it back or to people already listed above. Send it to your >>>> parents, siblings, politicians, teachers, bullies or anyone else >>>>you've >>>> wanted to hit with a snowball. Have fun. But don't blame me if >>>>you're >>>> hit. Remember: e-mail snowballs don't hurt, don't get you soaked >>>>and >>>> don't melt away. Throw one today! >>>>************************************************************************ Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com The top of Great Falls, Montana. The windest City in America Average wind speed, 13.5 mph. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:32:52 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Gold Lame Aprons (that e is supposed to have an accent) For those interested in the increasing amount of gold lame in our pop culture, check out today's Business section of the Washington Post (Saturday, November 23). The cover story, about Lillian Vernon starts off talking about a gold lame apron, and the photo is of someone wearing a gold lame apron. Just thought you might be interested, as someone mentioned a while ago another mention of gold lame, and noted that you don't hear it often. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping CapAccess Business & Professional Center CapAccess Science & Technology Center Career Resource Center ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:37:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Gold Lame Aprons At 08:32 PM 11/23/96 -0500, you wrote: >(that e is supposed to have an accent) For those of you that are using PCs, try this if you're bored: Hold down ALT and press this on the Numeric Keypad (make sure NumLock is= on)... 0233 and let go of ALT. This should show up: =E9 I'm not sure why I'm writing this, but what the heck? :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:41:45 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: CD5? I hope you don't think I'm stupid for asking this, but what's the difference b/w a CD5 and an EP? For example, would the Istanbul CD w/ the various tracks be a CD5 or an EP? Thanks for your help, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:43:33 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Fwd: [Kime17@aol.com: Fwd: Classified Ads] Rolling-On-The-Floor-Lagh-Out-Loud-Hillarious Classified Ads FWD Snipped See, people! This is why some people want a moderated list! Just don't post long FWDs and other such unrelated "hay, this was funny, everyone'll get a kick outta this..." garbage. (Wow.... hadn't seen that in a while... thought I'd use it...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:45:49 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: BOOM Rolling-On-The-Floor-Lagh-Out-Loud-Hillarious Snow Ball message Snipped See, people! This is why some people want a moderated list! Just don't post long FWDs and other such unrelated "hay, this was funny, everyone'll get a kick outta this..." garbage. (Wow.... hadn't seen that in a while... thought I'd use it...) PS- I never thought I'd have to use the same exact post twice in 3 minutes... Oh, and... >This is best saw using courier font. SEEN. Best SEEN using courier font. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "Everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:52:22 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: CD5 Well, by matching up the order form I found and the TMBG discography listing, I found out what I was looking for. I found a copy of the Istanbul single for $6.49, and I'm going to call the place in a few minutes and get some more info. I'll post what I find out to the list... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 22:49:15 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: They'd be fools to go back to Bar/None... Who cares about videos? I do. I don't watch them on MTV, I don't get MTV. I watch them on my VCR. The fans like videos. _That's_ why thy're worth making. I don't think Elektra makes any more effort than Bar/None did to promote TMBG and in relative terms, probably does less. As for interference in the music. There are very, very few artists to which major lables give full control of the music. That dosen't mean they interfere directly in the music writing it often means that once a band finishes an album, the record company checks it out and if they don't like it, it get's sent back. Don't be fooled, it happens every day. As for moderation of the list, why? The amount of bad mail is nothing, compared to the amount of flaming going on, this and other lists. Both of those can be solved with one word, tolerance. Be tolerant of people with different opinions than you, and people who may be dumber than you. I really can't stand people who say, "if you don't like it, just delete it" but in this case it almost is okay. Besides, who's gonna moderate the list, you, or how about you? You willing to read every message posted every day and make the decision on whether or not it's relevant? It's a bigger job than you think. If you really think you want to do it- start your own list - it's the solution to all your problems. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: A NOTE TO EVERYONE From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 23:48:48 EST A note to chain letter-senders: chain letters are not appreciated on mailing lists. Chain letters are not appreciated on the internet in general except by aol users who aren't sure what the internet is and people who have just gotten their internet accounts. A note to the people who will begin flaming the senders of those chain letters via the list: Don't do it. Go ahead, tell them not to post chain letters privately, but the post-chain letter build up is much worse than the original chain letter, so don't post your complaint to the list. A note to all: complaining takes up more list space and creates more volume than the things you are complaining about. If people would begin to stop their complaining about meaningless and miniscule things (such as chain letters) this list would have about 30% volume. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-322 ******************************