Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-324 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 324 Tuesday, 26 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: No Moderation TMBG: Snail Shell CD TMBG: Red Bank TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates TMBG: Chicago party tomorow, Milwaukee on Saturday! TMBG: Dull but worth noting.........? TMBG: What's close to here? TMBG: Your Racist Friend Re: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates Re: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates TMBG: BOBA MAIL:HAPPY HOLIDAYS TMBG: NC Show TMBG: review + istanbul single TMBG: Howdy from Texas!! TMBG: re: Moderation TMBG: Not my birthday: dust Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust Re: TMBG: review + istanbul single TMBG: as dumb as this sounds Re: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates Re: TMBG: as dumb as this sounds Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust Re: TMBG: i was at a record store and found Re: TMBG: Concert in S.F. set list (sort of) and personal clarification TMBG: Personal Pages on www.tmbg.org TMBG: TMBG in Minneapolis Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y CD5 TMBG: tmbg on jjj TMBG: Tower in SF Set List Re: TMBG: review + istanbul single TMBG: moderation TMBG: help me! TMBG: help me! TMBG: Jack and Prof Re: TMBG: help me! TMBG: in the City of Angels p.3 TMBG: College hatred RE: TMBG: tmbg on jjj TMBG: information, please TMBG: Jessica Re: TMBG: Jessica Re: TMBG: Jessica Re: TMBG: Jack and Prof Re: TMBG: in the City of Angels p.3 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 01:30:46 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: No Moderation Enough whining already about non-topics! Christ. the same discussion is going on over at Chalkhills. Someone came up with an analogy about a wedding. You're all not just talking about the wedding but you're all there for the same reason. Despite the high volume around here it's just not that bad. Sure "me too" messages may be annoying but if that's the case IGNORE it or move on. Most people stop doing that stuff as they mature or become more knowledgable about the topics. The thought of someone's messages being exterminated before they reach here is somewhat chilling. So maybe someone's first few posts are of the "Gee whiz...I like them too" variety. Maybe later he'l be the most literate poster on the list. Or maybe his father works at Elektra. "Dad they were mean to me on the internet." "Okay son...we'll scrap that video shoot!!!" Anyway...get over it folks. Please. I am for moderation in many things in life but NOT in lists. And please no flames about how I don't understand...the wasting of bandwidth...I get charged for each message I get...blah blah blah. Not bitter but damn tired, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 07:53:49 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Snail Shell CD I was at Vinyl Fever on Saturday (a local used/new record store) and came across a CD titled They Might Be Giants: Snail Shell. It was in the "Budget Bin" I think. Anyways it had all the kids from JH/BTS on the front with ball-pean hammers and a little desc. of the song on the inside. The CD just had Snaill Shell written all over it. I was just wondering about this because I had never heard of it before. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:06:10 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Red Bank TMBG in Red Bank on NEW YEAR'S EVE???? That would be a cool part of the town's First Night (non-alcoholic new year's party). Anyway, Red Bank is located at exit 109 on the Garden State Parkway, if you know where that is. If anyone knows anything else about this concert, PLEASE tell me. Craig, who lives all of 12 miles away from Red Bank ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:26:36 -0500 (EST) Here they are... 12/9/96 Ashville, NC ??????????? 12/11/96 New Haven , CT - Toads Place 12/12/96 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club 12/13/96 Granville, OH - Denison University 12/14/96 Pittsburgh, PA - Metropol 12/15/96 Poughkeepsie, NY - The Chance >>>12/27/96 Washington, DC - Nightclub 9:30<<< 12/28/96 Providence, RI - Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel 12/29/96 Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall 12/31/96 Red Bank, NJ - ???????????? 1/3/96 St Louis, MO - Mississippi Nights -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:42:53 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Chicago party tomorow, Milwaukee on Saturday! Hello 41- Good news in Giantville! There will be a party before the show at the Safehouse. The Safehouse is an ultra-groovy restaurant right near the Rave with a "spy" them. The doors to the show will open at 7:00. Everybody is encouraged to get there at about 5:00-5:30. Please email me if you are going, and don't forget to wear a "Hello my name is" nametag, so we know who you are! For the Chicago show, it's smiple. Right next to the Riveria (Broadway and Lawrence) is a pancake/waffle house. We will meet there probably a little after 5:00 or so, because They are also doing an instore at Tower Records at 2301 N. Clark that starts at 4:00. After the instore ends, I/we will all go to the pancake house, and will leave there at probably 5:30/5:45 Doors open at 6:00, so we can all get in line too. Make sure to email me if you are going to be any/all of the events, and to wear a "Hello my name is" nametag. Doors open at 6:00, so we can all get in line and get good spots to see Linnell stare at us. Either mail me today, or vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki) on Tuesday and after about the Milwaukee show. *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* I'm not crabby, I'm pensive. -Little Man Tate Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:05:02 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: TMBG: Dull but worth noting.........? Last night, I dreamt I went to a club near me and they played 'hide away folk family'. Interesting eh???? Perhaps not, But it's a nice thought............... Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:03:14 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: What's close to here? Sorry, there's nothing informative or interesting in this post, but I'm just wondering, since They aren't going to be coming back to Toronto soon, of those new American dates (I saw there were ones in New York State, etc.) which is closest to Toronto or Buffalo, or whatever? Maybe that other guy from Toronto or whatever he calls it (is it Mr. Klaw?), or Connie can help me. (do They ever come to Buffalo? That would be close enough.) This is just more fuel for your moderated list argument, come to think of it--I could just find a map and find out where all those places are! -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:02:57 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Your Racist Friend > On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Mark Iles wrote: > > > > > >Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 07:50:58 -0500 (EST) > > >From: Tom Hare > > >And its focus every week is on the predicaments or > > >goings-on of one of three pathetic, old, whiny, sexually repressed white men. > > >(Those meaning Hank, Larry and Arthur I think) > > > > Would you prefer it if they were black then? I'm not a fan of the > > programme, but it's certainly better than most of the witless anodyne > > saccharine rubbish that we're fed from America, like The Cosby Show. > > > > Wow! I'm impressed that you were brave enough to share your racist > comments! You should feel great about yourself. Keep on typing and > you'll learn them something real good! This is where the party ends. I can't stand here listening to you and your racist friend. I know politics bore you but I feel like a hypocrite talking to you and your racist friend. (from memory) Just thought I'd share. YRF is one of my favorite They songs. BTW, chill. This list has enough bickering and flaming without your publicly antagonizing someone over an off-handed comment. ================================================= Det. Dave Desperately trying to keep this list on topic. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:53:29 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Matthew James wrote: > >>>12/27/96 Washington, DC - Nightclub 9:30<<< > 12/28/96 Providence, RI - Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel > 12/29/96 Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall > 12/31/96 Red Bank, NJ - ???????????? What? No Philly show on the 30th?? Doh! I was told that they ALWAYS did a show then! Doh! I was so looking forward to it! Doh! Oh, by the way, I am a little disappointed about there being no Philly show in this time period. :( SJL ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:33:18 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates At 11:53 AM 11/25/96 -0500, you wrote: >Oh, by the way, I am a little disappointed about there being no Philly >show in this time period. :( Yeah, it sucks here too. Atlanta's only an hour or so away from me, but I have final exams right around that time. :< -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:46:10 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL:HAPPY HOLIDAYS Hey TMBG-LIST! Have a great holiday weekend, I'll be seeing all of your wacky posts again after my break. God bless, and have fun. Boba Out. *------------------------------------------------------- -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Ladies & Gentlemen, a Gibiddy Gibb Gibb AWW!" - They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://bobasboots.home.ml.org *------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:34:12 +0000 From: Kelly Michele Marks Subject: TMBG: NC Show I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about the Dec. 11 show at the Ritz (Raleigh). I found the date posted on the Performance Tour Search, but I haven't seen anything else to confirm it. If anyone has any info (time, tickets, yada, yada, yada) or is planning on going, I would be much obligied if they could drop me a line... Thanks, Kelly* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:35:01 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: review + istanbul single Hidey-ho, everyone, Last night I used the most impartial method I could think of to pick the lucky person who gets the Istanbul single. I am pleased to report that our winner is... *drum roll, please* Christi587@aol.com! For the rest of you-- My heart breaks, honestly it does. I got all kinds of pleading messages from people who were ecstatic at the mere chance to own the I(nc) single, and I wish I had 10 more copies, just to make everyone happy. >"Linnell, now you play >something I know." Interesting, I thought. Do They call themselves >"Linnell" and "Flans"? Dunno. I always thought that, amongst themselves, Flans was "Jack" and Linnell was "the Professor", although I admit that the latter would be a tad unweildy for everyday conversation. At the Warfield show (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Flans also conducted, and did roughly the same thing. But Flans didn't call Linnell anything, he just pointed at Linnell and both of them understood. Maybe they DO call each other by last names; it would be less weird than calling each other "John" and "John" all the time. --nicole the wonder nerd at the top of the charts *** "The bells are pealing, and they're revealing the simple key to happiness. It isn't good, it isn't evil-- it's only what the people miss." --They Might be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:45:42 -0800 From: ECKM1657 Organization: Lubbock Christian University Subject: TMBG: Howdy from Texas!! dear listers: I'm new here and I'm from Texas(ain't that a double negative). I'd just like to say I am on of the few fans in Lubbock, the home of Buddy Holly. Will the Johns and crew be touring anywhere near the pan-handle. Also, it's hard to get hold of singles around here. Any ideas? " Cookie in one hand, wig on her head. S-E-X-X-Y" eckm1657@lcu.edu ------------------------------ Date: 25 Nov 1996 16:21:00 +0100 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: TMBG: re: Moderation Organization: puppet head Floopyglop@aol.com wrote: > Well, MTV rarely plays them (if at all) and Elektra hasn't bothered to > compile the videos on a retrospective, so not a whole lot of people get to > see them. Elektra released a video compilation in Europe (the same one you also have), only with 2 extra videos (Birdhouse & Istanbul). It has the same cover as Misc.T. _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@tmbg.org rodrparr@dds.nl amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://huizen.dds.nl/~rodrparr ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:42:41 -0800 From: ECKM1657 Organization: Lubbock Christian University Subject: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust Question about "It's Not My Birthday." "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." I think the depressed man in the song is contemplating suicide or leaving and thinking of a brother or sister to take care of things. Reference to the Bible: "By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return" Genesis 3:19. We are all dust and he is not the only dust his mother raised. His mother must have had another child. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:21:01 -0800 (PST) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, ECKM1657 wrote: > Question about "It's Not My Birthday." > > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." > I think the depressed man in the song is contemplating suicide or leaving > and thinking of a brother or sister to take care of things. Reference to > the Bible: "By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you > return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and > to dust you will return" Genesis 3:19. We are all dust and he is not the > only dust his mother raised. His mother must have had another child. The dust can also be the tracks left behind by a fast moving object on the surface of the planet, like a Mad Max car. But yes, ashes-to-ashes, etc. The line "There'll be no percentage and there'll be no proof" is also some sort of pun, since he's singing about a 'drink tank'/alcohol just before it. Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:51:13 -0500 From: David Sheets Subject: Re: TMBG: review + istanbul single At 10:35 AM 11/25/96 -0800, you wrote: >>"Linnell, now you play >>something I know." Interesting, I thought. Do They call themselves >>"Linnell" and "Flans"? > >Dunno. I always thought that, amongst themselves, Flans was "Jack" >and Linnell was "the Professor", although I admit that the latter would be >a tad unweildy for everyday conversation. What, just Jack and Prof... I think that would be a pretty starightforward way to talk to someone... Of course using "The Professor" each time would be a bit much... >At the Warfield show (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Flans also >conducted, and did roughly the same thing. But Flans didn't call Linnell >anything, he just pointed at Linnell and both of them understood. >Maybe they DO call each other by last names; it would be less weird than >calling each other "John" and "John" all the time. I have a lot of experience with this... My name is David and there are a lot of David's out there, also not too many ways to say it, Dave, David, Davey... ummm... not much else... Anyway, my point is that I have no problem talking to people with the name David, we just call each other Dave and we know who we're talking about... It's when you bring in a third person that it might get confusing... Anyway, I've been listening to the list for a while and thought I should contribute... Oh, while I'm typing, I was wondering about how I would go about getting concert bootlegs... I saw TMBG once in concert and fell in love with the fast/rock version of Why Does The Sun Shine and would sell my soul for a recording of it... well, maybe not my SOUL... :) Anyway, if anyone could help me out here, I'd be very appreciative... --David "Free-Sex-For-A-Small-Price" Sheets ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:21:53 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: as dumb as this sounds Organization: West Virginia Network how would i go about getting tickets to the pittsburgh show???? just mail me dont flood the digest please. also is that on a saturday or sunday??? what time is it??? so many questions!!!! sam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:48:54 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour dates Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Post Atlanta tour.. by Ekul Hpesoj Nevets@monte > What? No Philly show on the 30th?? Doh! I was told that they ALWAYS > did a show then! Doh! I was so looking forward to it! Doh! From what I've heard, Red Bank is about an hour from Philly. Philly is 3 hours from DC. I'm going to the New Years show... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:52:10 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: as dumb as this sounds Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-Nov-96 TMBG: as dumb as this sounds by CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.ed > how would i go about getting tickets to the pittsburgh show???? > just mail me dont flood the digest please. also is that on a saturday or sunda > y??? what time is it??? so many questions!!!! > sam I'm going to post to the list, mainly because lots of people have asked. Here's the whole deal: Call 412-391-1111 for tickets. I'm not sure if this is Metropol or Ticketbastard's number, though. The show starts at 7:30, doors open at 6:30. It's a Saturday. Tickets are $15.75 + ticketbastard. The opening act is unknown at this time, other than that we know it is *not* cub. :( ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:55:44 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust It can also be the dust that forms a cloud, in keeping with the preciptiation theme of the song. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Robert Gonsalves wrote: > On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, ECKM1657 wrote: > > > Question about "It's Not My Birthday." > > > > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." > > I think the depressed man in the song is contemplating suicide or leaving > > and thinking of a brother or sister to take care of things. Reference to > > the Bible: "By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you > > return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and > > to dust you will return" Genesis 3:19. We are all dust and he is not the > > only dust his mother raised. His mother must have had another child. > > The dust can also be the tracks left behind by a fast moving object on > the surface of the planet, like a Mad Max car. But yes, ashes-to-ashes, > etc. > > The line "There'll be no percentage and there'll be no proof" is also some > sort of pun, since he's singing about a 'drink tank'/alcohol just before > it. > > Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:12:41 -0800 (PST) From: "Jonathan Lee Wilson (Jon Wilson)" Subject: Re: TMBG: i was at a record store and found Are you talking about Les Miserables? Isn't there a Les Mis song called that? Doogie On Sat, 23 Nov 1996 CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu wrote: > on record, the soundtrack to a musical called the Bells are Ringing. > is there any connection? it was from the 50's > sam > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:10:14 -0800 (PST) From: "Jonathan Lee Wilson (Jon Wilson)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert in S.F. set list (sort of) and personal clarification On the song "maybe I know" who originally sang that. I know it is a woman from the 50's. Doogie On Sat, 23 Nov 1996 bartush@calweb.com wrote: > Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > > Hidey-ho, everyone, > > I just got back from the Warfield show, and booooyyy am I psyched! This was > > my first They show AND my first rock concert, and it was so incredibly > > wonderful that I am wandering around with this goofy grin on my face... > > First things first. I got to San Francisco about 6 and hopped into line. I > > was about 50 people back and therefore got a great spot in the theater > > (thanks to everyone who gave me advice!) where I had a clear, unobstructed > > view of the stage and fairly calm surroundings. I also managed to meet up > > with Matt in Sacramento (hi Matt!) and his wife Nikki (sp?), by the simple > > Not that anyone but me even cares, but I felt this needed clarification: Nikki was > a former member of this list who unsubscribed a few months ago. Wednesday night was > the first night I had ever met her. She isn't my wife - my wife was holding my place > farther up in line. Sorry for wasting list space with this, but it was just kind of > weird seeing "his wife Nikki". (sorry for the mix-up, Nicole) > > For those who care about such things, the following songs were played at the > concert. These are not in order, and are grouped according to which album they were > on (it's the only way I can remember). > > Don't Let's Start > Ana Ng > Birdhouse in Your Soul > Istanbul (Not Constantinople) > Particle Man > Twisting > Dig My Grave > Spider > The Guitar > Subliminal > Snail Shell > Sleeping in the Flowers > Spy (Flans conducting) > S-E-X-X-Y > Til My Head Falls Off > How Can I Sing Like A Girl? > Exquisite Dead Guy (with puppets) > Metal Detector > New York City > Your Own Worst Enemy > XTC vs. Adam Ant > James K. Polk > Pet Name > Older > They Got Lost > Counterfeit Faker > Maybe I Know (or Maybe I'm Wrong, or something similar - I can't quite remember the > title. It was a song written in the 1950's by Leslie Gore. a very cool song) > > That's all I remember. If anyone wants to know the setlist (in order) from the Tower > Records show, let me know. > > Matt in Sacramento > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 18:25:39 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Personal Pages on www.tmbg.org Another call for having your name added to the TMBG fan link page on www.tmbg.org (www.tmbg.org/links/personals.html). Send e-mail to: bluedawg@ussodyssey.ufp.org, with your *full name*, URL, and e-mail address. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Q: If you could be any animal, what would you be? John Sidney Linnell's A: A delicious Steak Dinner. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:29:34 -0600 From: Rik Gran Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Minneapolis As most of the interested parties are already aware, They is playing at O'Shaughnessy, at the College of St. Kate's, in St. Paul, this friday (November 29th). Tix through Ticketmaster Special Guest: Cub Tune into REV 105 for possible interviews or other on-air stuff. Nothing is announced yet, but it will probably happen. If other crazy things happen, REV will probably announce them. In-store performance at Let it Be records (I think...double check that) in Downtown Mlps at 4pm on Friday day of show. Free. No autographs? Enjoy. Rik ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 96 18:42 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y CD5 I think We Got a World That Swings is the best song >on the ep and the beginning kind of reminds me of The Boy From Iponema". > Although I like it a lot, I could picture them playing it on Muppets Tonight >or something, just because it sounds like that kind of song. Hmmm.... I've always thought it'd be cool if TMBG were on Muppets Tonight, or better yet, the old Muppet Show (which would be impossible, I know, but anything is possible in my mind). They could jam with Gonzo and Rizzo and Kermit & everybody else. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: tmbg on jjj Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:09:32 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" greetings, 2 main questions here: 1) On the way home from work yesterday JJJ played S-E-X-X-Y yet again (making it about the 4th time in the past week that i've heard it...which is actually pretty scary since i only listen to JJJ for about 15-20 mins a day; meaning either i've picked my times well, or they *really* are overkilling that song). Anyway, I'm slowly reaching my point here....after playing the song the announcer (no idea who it was) said that John Linnell would be spoken to later on this week. Does anyone have any idea whatsoever when this could be? Afternoon? Evening? They're a pretty programmed station aren't they? Are there any set times where they talk to artists? 2) In a rare fit of newsgroup browsing yesterday I read alt.music.tmbg (or part thereof). Apparently JJJs Calamity Jane is planning on doing a J-File sometime on tmbg....when is she on? wow, thats scary...i never thought I would ever write an e-mail pretty much wholly about triple j. ack. tamara. ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:33:30 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Tower in SF Set List Here is the set list for the Tower Records show in SF on 11/20/96. I typed it exactly as it appears on the paper. TOWER 1 POLK (NO LA LA PART) 2 XTC 3 BIRD 4 NYC 5 ENEMY 6 ANA QUIET 7 MAYBE 8 PARTICLE 9 GIRL (CHORUS AT BOLERO, + RETARD) 10 OLDER 11 SEXXY 12 SUN IS A MASS ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: review + istanbul single From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:54:56 EST On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:35:01 -0800 (PST) Nicole the Wonder Nerd writes: >>"Linnell, now you play >>something I know." Interesting, I thought. Do They call themselves >>"Linnell" and "Flans"? > >Dunno. I always thought that, amongst themselves, Flans was "Jack" and >Linnell was "the Professor", although I admit that the latter would be a tad >unweildy for everyday conversation. I get the feeling that their nicknames are just things they'd like to be called (or were called in high school) as opposed to actually being called as I've read many times that Linnell is called the professor, but have never heard anyone talk about a show or a live interview where he was called the professor as if by common practice. The same goes for Jack, though I doubt anyone cares enough... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: moderation Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:46:02 -0500 (EST) > I agree with Joshua Hall-Bachner that the list should be moderated. The best > argument for this can be found in the digest archives in which last week's > "subscribe the list to itself" issue has been immortalized. Also, I think > moderation would make the digest a lot easier to read. I'm not sure why some > people are against this. > I do not see who has the time to moderate the list. It takes a lot of time! I doubt Leo has the time, and now that he's moving to upstate Virginia, I don't even see who's going to run any list at all? Maybe we should find someone who can run a majordomo list on their mail server? Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KLESLI@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:28:30 -0500 Subject: TMBG: help me! HI I need your help. I am desperately trying to find a show in my area. I work in a music store and we got a memo saying that tmbg were having a concert somewhere called Metropol in Detroit. I found out that Metropol was the Metropolitan Music Cafe in Warren,MI. The date of the show said Dec 14 and tickets were supposed to go on sale Tuesday. But the Ticketmaster people don't know anything about it! Ahhhh. Please does anyone know the where and when of a show in the Toledo/Detroit area? Please help me. Confused in Toledo ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: help me! Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:42:07 -0500 (EST) > > HI > I need your help. I am desperately trying to find a show in my area. I work > in a music store and we got a memo saying that tmbg were having a concert > somewhere called Metropol in Detroit. I found out that Metropol was the > Metropolitan Music Cafe in Warren,MI. The date of the show said Dec 14 and > tickets were supposed to go on sale Tuesday. But the Ticketmaster people > don't know anything about it! Ahhhh. Please does anyone know the where and > when of a show in the Toledo/Detroit area? Please help me. > Confused in Toledo That would be the Metropol in Pittsburgh, PA, not Michigan. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Jack and Prof Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:47:11 -0500 (EST) > On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:35:01 -0800 (PST) Nicole the Wonder Nerd > writes: > > >>"Linnell, now you play > >>something I know." Interesting, I thought. Do They call themselves > >>"Linnell" and "Flans"? > > > >Dunno. I always thought that, amongst themselves, Flans was "Jack" and > >Linnell was "the Professor", although I admit that the latter would be a > tad > >unweildy for everyday conversation. > > I get the feeling that their nicknames are just things they'd > like to be called (or were called in high school) as opposed to actually > being called as I've read many times that Linnell is called the > professor, but have never heard anyone talk about a show or a live > interview where he was called the professor as if by common practice. The > same goes for Jack, though I doubt anyone cares enough... While I've never heard Linnell called the Professor I did hear Linnell call Flans, "Jack Flansburgh" at the Fairfax County Fair in Virginia. I cannot remember exactly what was said, something like... Flans: Ok, Linnell, we're gonna play this in the key of A Linnell: No, Jack Flansburgh! We're gonna play it in E Ok I think I really massacred that conversation, it was so long ago I cannot remember it even partially. Anyone remember? Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:52:47 -0600 (CST) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: TMBG: help me! On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 KLESLI@aol.com wrote: > HI > I need your help. I am desperately trying to find a show in my area. I work > in a music store and we got a memo saying that tmbg were having a concert > somewhere called Metropol in Detroit. I found out that Metropol was the > Metropolitan Music Cafe in Warren,MI. The date of the show said Dec 14 and > tickets were supposed to go on sale Tuesday. But the Ticketmaster people > don't know anything about it! Ahhhh. Please does anyone know the where and > when of a show in the Toledo/Detroit area? Please help me. > Confused in Toledo > Sorry, you've been misinformed. The Metropol concert on Dec 14 is in Pittsburgh, PA. I dunno where your show is, sorry. Brandon ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: in the City of Angels p.3 From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:34:58 EST Hello for the 3rd time! Its finally time to post about the last of the TMBG L.A. trilogy: The Palace in Hollywood, 11/23/96. Cub opened up at 7:15, and they did more songs from Come out Come out than at the El Rey. Much more enjoyable than pre-recorded music. Frank Black came on next. Quite eerie that all his roadies looked like clones of Frank Black. He looked very lethargic throughout his set, not a happy camper. Seems like a doing Flans a favor kind of attitude. He was with a 2 piece backup band on drums and base. Kind of scary that 3 people around me knew all the words to his songs....enough about that. On to They: They came out actually 5 minutes early at 8:55, with the prerecorded Lady is a Tramp. There was actually some mild moshing to this one....on to the set list of the Linnell dominated show: Spider The Guitar James K. Polk New York City Your Own Worst Enemy Particle Man - accordian How Can I Sing Like a Girl - I made a little freak flag out of my pen and paper for my own amusement Dont Lets Start Subliminal - more accordian Spy - with unusual interlude where Flans ask each band member (including Linnell, whom he addressed as Linnell to play a song Flans would know. Brian did Walk This Way...what else could he do? They Got Lost - smiles from Mr. Linnell Ana Ng - exactly the same as the El Rey show Istanbul - seemed short Pet Name - you can tell Flans loves singing this one Metal Detector !!!! XTC vs. Adam Ant Exquisite Dead Guy - I tricked somebody into thinking they were gonna do Puppethead. How cruel of me. S-E-X-X-Y - unusually positive crowd response Turn Around !! The Sun - The moshing begins Birdhouse in Your Soul - whats with all the jumping? No One Knows My Plan - done without horns, although there was a trumpet in the back next to Graham. Slightly tempted to join the conga line. Slightly tempted. Band intros - didnt take too long with a five-piece Dig My Grave -with slow beginning Older Twistin - more moshing Til My Head Falls Off !! The Famous Polka !!!- mosh galore - extra-long version, it seemed at least All in all a great set, better than El Rey. Mostly because it was Linnell dominated. If you count, Flans only sang lead on 9 out of the 27 songs. Very enthusiastic, cheerful Linnell. I didnt get to tape this show, lets just say that the bouncer did a VERY thorough search. If you want to hear the details, feel free to E-mail. Waiting for them in 97, G "I used to rock and roll all night and party evurry day. Then it was every other day, then it was a half-hour a week...." - Homer Simpson ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:24:32 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: College hatred Hey all. I apologize for the lack of any true TMBG content in this post, but I need to vent a bit. You see, I'm going home for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and then a few days after I leave and come back to school, They are playing in Cincinnati (45 minutes from my home). Then I come back to school for a bit, then go back home for Christmas break. Then, while I'm home on break, They are playing in St. Louis, where I go to school. Damn it all. I REALLY want to see Them play again, and due to some weird schedule conflicts, I can't. Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn. Okay, now I'll post something pseudo-relevant. I've heard so many references to the Dial-a-Song songs, and I know there are at least two DAS compilations. If anyone is interested in trading some (relatively) good quality DAS compilations for something I have, please e-mail me privately. Again, since I'll be home for Thanksgiving, it might take me a while to respond. Thanks a lot. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "The telephone was ringing That's when I handed it to Liz She said this isn't who it would be If it wasn't who it is..." --Phish, "Wolfman's Brother" ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg on jjj Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:38:31 +1100 I just rang up JJJ to ask for some info about this - after I finally got through the girl at the end didn't have a clue!!! Oh well. I assume that it will be on about when you heard it announced (eg Angela Katerns afternoon show). If you can remember let me know - I'm quite interested myself! Nicka >---------- >From: yublocka[SMTP:yublocka@tmbg.org] >Sent: Tuesday, 26 November, 1996 8:09 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: tmbg on jjj > >greetings, > >2 main questions here: > >1) On the way home from work yesterday JJJ played S-E-X-X-Y yet again >(making it about the 4th time in the past week that i've heard it...which is >actually pretty scary since i only listen to JJJ for about 15-20 mins a day; >meaning either i've picked my times well, or they *really* are overkilling >that song). Anyway, I'm slowly reaching my point here....after playing the >song the announcer (no idea who it was) said that John Linnell would be >spoken to later on this week. Does anyone have any idea whatsoever when this >could be? Afternoon? Evening? They're a pretty programmed station aren't >they? Are there any set times where they talk to artists? > >2) In a rare fit of newsgroup browsing yesterday I read alt.music.tmbg (or >part thereof). Apparently JJJs Calamity Jane is planning on doing a J-File >sometime on tmbg....when is she on? > >wow, thats scary...i never thought I would ever write an e-mail pretty much >wholly about triple j. ack. > >tamara. > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:04:43 PST Subject: TMBG: information, please From: hallie.p@juno.com (Hallie B Pritts) I can't seem to find any information on the Pittsburgh show. I called the local knowledgable radio station (WYEP) and a woman told me that she was not aware of a show and that it must not be official yet. Does anyone know if it's actually going to happen? If so, where can I get tickets? Thanks. Hallie ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 22:17:58 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Jessica I was just watching "Field of Dreams", and in the credits they listed a sond "Jessica" recorded by the Allman Bros. Band. Interesting coincidence or is there a link? BTW, I heard Jessica as the background Muzak on the Weather Channel Local Weather once. It was kinda novel. Simon Koch http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~sfkoch soon to have tmbg midis courtesy of jordan1c@aol.com in its jukebox! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 00:10:39 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Jessica On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Simon Koch wrote: > I was just watching "Field of Dreams", and in the credits they listed a > sond "Jessica" recorded by the Allman Bros. Band. Interesting > coincidence or is there a link? > No coincidence. The song "Jessica" was originally recorded by the Allman Bros. Band and TMBG just did a cover of it. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Devil Bunny! I snort the nose, Lucifer! Banana! Banana!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Satanic Debbie Boone in _Bloom County_ **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 00:13:11 -0400 From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (Tucker) Subject: Re: TMBG: Jessica >I was just watching "Field of Dreams", and in the credits they listed a >sond "Jessica" recorded by the Allman Bros. Band. Interesting >coincidence or is there a link? > >BTW, I heard Jessica as the background Muzak on the Weather Channel >Local Weather once. It was kinda novel. > >Simon Koch > >http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~sfkoch >soon to have tmbg midis courtesy of jordan1c@aol.com in its jukebox! > >-- > >"The trouble with computers, of course, > is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who "Jessica" was originally performed by the Allman Brothers Band, then later remade for WDTSS. In fact, it says so on the back cover. :) Katie Spain Lehigh University cds4@lehigh.edu "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -Lincoln "Eat, drink, and be merry." -DMB ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 01:04:37 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Jack and Prof Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-Nov-96 TMBG: Jack and Prof Matthew James@greed.loyo (1640*) > Flans: Ok, Linnell, we're gonna play this in the key of A > Linnell: No, Jack Flansburgh! We're gonna play it in E > Ok I think I really massacred that conversation, it was so long ago I > cannot remember it even partially. Anyone remember? Flans: What key are we playing this in? Linnell: You tell me. (hits keyboard) You tell me, Jack Flansburgh! Flans: Uhhhhh, let's do it in the key of B. ***************************************************************************** Lawrence Solomon ** http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ ** zaphod@cmu.edu "I'm a martyr for my cause but * This space inadvertently I've forgotten what it was. -cub, "Freaky" * left blank. ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 01:06:14 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: in the City of Angels p.3 Did they use the accordion in The Famous Polka or Turn Around? I really hope they haven't degraded those to keyboard songs, too... ***************************************************************************** Lawrence Solomon ** http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ ** zaphod@cmu.edu "I'm a martyr for my cause but * This space inadvertently I've forgotten what it was. -cub, "Freaky" * left blank. ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-324 ******************************