Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-325 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 325 Wednesday, 27 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Concerts near Oklahoma? Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust TMBG: TMBG's New Year Eve show TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y??? TMBG: On Your Radio TMBG: tmbg on jjj...well linnell to be precise TMBG: first names (a John by any other...?) TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single review TMBG: trades? TMBG: SEXXY Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single review TMBG: Where is this place? (none) TMBG: HI TMBG: yes! oh yes! TMBG: Re: They Might Be Muppets TMBG: Re: Jack and Prof TMBG: They Might Be Muppets TMBG: Moderation TMBG: How to bootleg? TMBG: I hit my Head Re: TMBG: first names (a John by any other...?) TMBG: Extra Chicago Ticket TMBG: Education Re: TMBG: Education TMBG: Re: CD5? Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single review TMBG: I'm on crack TMBG: Vote for your favorite TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: CD5? TMBG: Re: They Might Be Muppets Re: TMBG: Education Re: TMBG: Re: CD5? TMBG: How to bootleg? TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y: Unforgotten Re: TMBG: Where is this place? Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust/Amy came to see me RE: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust TMBG: BOYCOTT BEN FOLDS FIVE! (TMBG Unrelated) TMBG: What They Call They TMBG: What time is it? TMBG: UK Listers - PLEASE NOTE THIS TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y ep TMBG: that cake in the rain song Re: TMBG: Education TMBG: well, i hardly think thats fair... Re: TMBG: Dull but worth noting.........? Re: TMBG: well, i hardly think thats fair... RE: TMBG: Education Re: TMBG: Education TMBG: Hello Gripe number 639 Re: TMBG: Howdy from Texas!! TMBG: single TMBG: wacky Elektra Re: TMBG: Education Re: TMBG: Education TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y TMBG: List clutter Unfair.... (Semi-TMBG: And boring too...) Re: TMBG: Education TMBG: List clutter TMBG: Re: What They Call They Re: TMBG: Education Re: TMBG: List clutter TMBG: Jukebox Update Complete! TMBG: Re: Hello Gripe number 639 Re: TMBG: as dumb as this sounds TMBG: Re: I hit my Head TMBG: Re: in the City of Angels pt. 3 Re: TMBG: Re: Hello Gripe number 639 TMBG: Sexxy singleSSS RE: TMBG: I hit my Head TMBG: Re: TMBG at the Palace TMBG: later on Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Concerts near Oklahoma? From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 02:14:30 EST I was just wondering if TMBG were coming around Oklahoma any time soon,,,,I am sorry that this is so short but thats all I needed to know. Nick "You seem cool for a naked chic in a booth lets be pals someday,,,in other words,,put some clothes on and call me"-Presidents of the United States of America ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:23:31 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust While I'm at it, I'll rattle on a little more about this song. I just looked= at the interpretation archives and this following connection wan't= mentioned. In the early 70's there was this very popular and totally= prententious, bombastic song released called "MacArthur Park". Some of the= lyrics include: "MacArthur Park is melting in the dark... Someone left the cake out in the rain And I don't think that I could take it Because it took so long to make it And I'll never have the recipe again Oh No" Awful stuff, the type of thing English teachers make kids interpret, ick.= The opposite of a light hearted TMBG song, no wonder They look forward to= never seeing that recipe again. The singer was Richard Harris, and if it's the same fellow as the British actor, well, he was a drunken bloke, all right, him and his buddy Peter O'To= ole. Bob Gonsalves, Research Director, Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Polit= ics =20 home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ work: http:/www.apha= sia.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 03:00:29 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: TMBG's New Year Eve show Hi TMBGer's! I just wanted to verify that TMBG will definitely be at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ on New Year's Eve! I can't wait! (Of course, it *would* be better if They were playing in Philly, but I'm definitely not complaining!) Also, if I don't get the chance before I leave today, I want to wish you all safe travels this weekend and a beautiful and peaceful Thanksgiving filled with happiness and pumpkin pie! =) sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:06:52 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y??? Is SEXXY coming out today, or what, or when? I remember back when they were saying Sep. 22nd, then Oct. 15, then - oh it's just too painful... *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:21:56 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: On Your Radio I suppose they are just a symptom of L.A. radio which just f***ing blows dead donkey d***! There's just too much money involved out here for anyone to try to make good radio. All the corporations do is sit around and go "hey there this huge audience...I want it all so I'll play it is safe as possible." > I suppose you couldn't sum it up any better. The same thing applies to NYC. Even formerly supposed cutting edge stations like KROQ play the same Stone temple Pilots song as everyone else over and over again. KROQ hardly ever plays TMBG unless it's Don't Lets' Start,Statue, or guitar. When Ana Ng came out and it was huge on every alternative station in the US according to Billboard...they NEVER played it. Though years later it may have showed up as a flashback. 91X in San Diego plays them and plays more of them...or at least they used to. same thing with Joe Jackson for that matter. For all you San Diegans I envy you your 91X. > I only EVER heard TMBG once on the radio. A DJ at Rutgers played 3 songs > one evening. I almosted wrecked my car! The only JJ song I ever hear on > the radio is ISRGOWH which has been incredibly overplayed in the past. Well I better go. I apologise for all this ranting about L.A. radio. Do you guys in other cities have similar problems with lousy radio? It was much better when I lived in Rhode Island. there were like six different college radio stations and they were all excellent. And plus there was Boston radio which had a lot of great stations. > The only thing with college radio is that you have to sift through alot > of garbage to hear anything decent. I guess it's like anthropolgy. > When you do find something good it's usually a "keeper". > Dirt, dirt, rock, dirt, rock, bone (keep), dirt, rock, dirt, rock, rock (never stop). > Erik ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: tmbg on jjj...well linnell to be precise Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 01:48:38 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" lo again, nice to join you in the kitchen for the second time today..... Just thought i'd let anyone know that cares that the John Linnell interview on JJJ was played this afternoon. Sadly I missed it because I was at work. Luckily my wonderful younger brother taped it (I gravel at his feet). Though he did miss the start, I thought I'd post the section that was taped. So continue reading only if you so desire.... Oh, btw, since this was on radio, all spelling and punctuation mistakes are mine (but i can't be blamed for the grammar). And another thing....I have no idea who the interviewer is....sounds like Micheal Tunn kinda, but I don't think it is. Has a grating laugh though. Anyway.... [start interesting bit] Interviewer: Well, I've said you've been together for 12 years, which is a long time for any rock band, but I guess, They Might Be Giants aren't quite the standard rock band. You started out with accordians, and my producer here this afternoon is begging to know what happened to all the accordians in TMBG music? Linnell: Well there's, lets see now, maybe 4 tracks on the new record that have accordian. I: Well there we are, you see, he just hasn't listened closely enough. L: You have to listen carefully, thats right. Yep. I: So the accordian survives? L: The accordian's still with us. In fact, when we do radio appearances, or in-store appearances, that's my instrument of choice. But now that we're, you know, we've got a full band, I'm doing a lot of electronic keyboards as well. So the accordian is there by my side, but it only comes out for certain songs. I: Well really, that's the big change with the new record, isn't it? Factory Showroom it's called, and it does feature a full band. You've had a full band for like a couple of years, but this is sort of like very full for TMBG. L: Well I think the difference with this, the difference between this and the last record, which was our first album that included a full band; is that we've kind of settled into our usual routine of picking and choosing the sounds that we want to use for each song. So even though we have a band, we don't - you know - we're not trying to reproduce the sound of a live band so much. So I think this is kind of a fusion of the last record, and the record that came before. It's actually you know, a pretty happy medium. I: Well, its a happy medium. I was going to say: happy tunes. We've always known TMBG for happy tunes. And the happy tune that the triple J -heads (JJ heads? huh???) have been getting off on, as of late has been S-E-X-X-Y. Tell us a bit about this record that you've just made. L: Well this is a song. My partner, John Flansburgh wrote this song. And its, I guess our first song which is explicitly about getting it on. [I laughs annoyingly] So that's the real, the new thing, the new element. I: So you've discovered sexuality, is that what you're telling me? L: No, no, we haven't discovered sexuality, but this is the first song which is explicitly about that. I: Well lets have a listen to it now. We'll come band and talk to John Linnell from the band, but for the moment, here are TMBG. [surpsie surprise...plays S-E-X-X-Y] I: ..great tune, lovely to hear a few strings in a song these days. L: The horns and strings were the contribution of our friend Kurt Hoffman who used to be a touring member of the band, and he's quite the arranger. He came up with the sort of Love Unlimited Orchestra kind of thing [I laughs] I: You'll be doing Barry White tunes before you know it. L: That's right. All we need is Barry White. I: Well look, the record Factory Showroom has got a few other bits and pieces on it, but you were saying to me that you are actually coming back to Australia to play some of the tunes from the new record. L: Absolutely, yeah. Well, I mean partly thanks to your wonderful pounding away of our record. We were planning on coming around to Australia anyway, but it looks like, well you know, this will be a good tour for us. And it looks now that we'll probably be there around March, which I guess is the Autumn. I: Yeah, Autumn. But still nice weather, you'll get some nice outdoor concerts if you can try and organise them, still in March. L: Mmm hmm. I: Where are you planning to go? Are you going to do the sort of, full big city tour? Like Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth? L: Anywhere they have it. Traditionally we played in Syndey, Melbourne, Perth, I forget all the places, Adelaide.... I: You've been to all the big ones. You should try and get down to Hobart, because so many of the Tasmanians never get to see a good band, and you know, they'd like to see TMBG I'm sure. L: I know. And I'd love to go closer to the South Pole than I've ever been. You know, I was telling someone the farthest South I've ever been is that amusement park in St. Kilda with that big mouth... I: Luna Park. Is that the furthest South you've ever been? L: That's the exact point of the farthest South. I: Well, I tell you, I;m sure Tasmanians would welcome you with open arms if TMBG ever decided to try to get to Hobart. L: Open mouths. I: Open mouth as well probably [laughs annoyingly]. Now, as I say, like if you are planning to come down, you've got the new live band. And one of the members of this new live band has got me fascinated. Because Graham Maby is a bass player i know from way back - late 70s and early 80s - the Joe Jackson band, and he's now playing, virtually full time with you guys. L: Yeah, that's right. Well the funny thing is, the last time we were in Australia he was touring with Joe. And we bumped into him there when we were there. He came down to the show we were playing in Sydney. But now Graham is with us, and yeah, he's played with a million... he's considered a legend, in fact we refer to him as Graham 'the legend' Maby. I: Well, look, he was obviously looking for a legendary band to join, so it seems like a good match. L: Well thats very nice of you. I: Oh well, I'm just flattering you now. The other thing about some of the projects that you've been working on, is that you've sort of, you've been trying to pick up all the new, all the old early 80s music, inclusing XTC. And you've been included on the XTC Testimonial Dinner, which is a lot of XTC tunes. And TMBg appear. Now how do we get to hear you on these records? L: You mean on that Testmonial Dinner? I: Yeah, yeah, on testimonial Dinner. L: How do you get to hear it....? I: Well, I mean how does it happen? Why are you there? L: Oh, I see....I was goign to say you buy the record and listen to it. I: I'm sorry [laughs] No we've got the record, I've got it in my hand, I just don't have my brain in order obviously. L: I see. Well, um yeah, we were invited by the producer, David Yasbick (sp?) who has, we have some mutual friends with him, and he thought we'd be an appropriate band. And we, we have to admit we do like XTC, we own XTC records. I: But doesn't one of your...one of your tracks on your new album has XTC...XTC vs. Adam Ant. L: That's right, yes. Well, this is a song, written again by Mr Flansburgh. But I think I can speak for him in saying that the idea of the song is thats its 2 very different bands from the same period in rock, and how could they co-exist? Well, they probably don't even think about each other very much, but the idea of the song is actually to pit them against one another. I: But they're both English bands, that interetst me. I always think of TMBG as a more English-influenced band than American. Do you feel like you're more European than an American band? L: I don't feel that way, no. Persoanlly I feel that we definately have been influenced by English bands, but we feel very American wwhen we go overseas. I: Well you sound very American, which is the only way I can tell at the moment. L: Well apparently you know when Birdhouse in Your Soul came out on the radio in Britain, a friend of mine, whos an American who lives over there, said he heard on the radio a woman over there complaining that she didn't care for my accent. It was too harshly American. I think it was the way I said the word 'bird' (said beeerrrrd). Something about that disturbed her. I: Birdhouse in your soul. L: ...in your soul. I: Well no mate, we say it 'Birdhouse in your Soul' down here, so it doesn't make any difference. Well it seems unfair that they should treat you so rudely. L: Well that was one individual. One the whole we've been embraced by the nation of Great Britain, so we have no complaints. I: WEll you're currently being embraced by the nation of Australia as well. John its been a real pleasure chatting to you, and we look forward to seeing you when you come down...March, April, whenever you get here. And are you goignt o come and check out Triple J? L: Absolutely, yeah, we'll make a point of coming, and Richard thanks for playing our record so much, its really groovy. I: Groovy man, yeah. And rememeber you have to go to Tasmania as well. L: We'll try and do that yeah, I'll talk to our agent. I: Thanks very much John Linnell, we'll catch ya round. L: Alright, seeya later. [played the XTC song] whew! and there you have it. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: TMBG: first names (a John by any other...?) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:45:19 -0500 (EST) > Nicole writes: > > Maybe they DO call each other by last names; it would be less weird than > calling each other "John" and "John" all the time. > > It's not as weird as you think; their names *are* John, after all. In fact, they have said something to the effect that they do call each other John, with the general understanding of those around them that they are not addressing themselves... I have heard them sometimes refer to each other in the third person by last name only, though. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:41:41 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single review BTW, I got it for $6.49...isn't that a little high? I thought the SRP was around $0.50 less... Oh well. It was worth it. :> 1) S-E-X-X-Y: Radio Mix - A spiffed up version of the song everyone knows and loves (or knows and loathes---I happen to like it a lot). This isn't a dramatically different version like the Warren Rigg Microwave Mix... No strings at the end though... :< 2) SenSurround - Hmmm...I personally prefer the version on the MMPR soundtrack. This is a lot faster and the cool Ba-ba-ba bridge is gone. I'd probably love it a lot more if I hadn't bought the MMPR soundtrack, but it's still a pretty good song... There's also no 'Ayeiaeyay' after it. :> 3) Unforgotten - I don't care for this one too much. It's kind of a slow song... I'll probably warm up to it later...I've only listened to this CD twice so far. :> 4) We've Got A World That Swings - Someone on the mailing list described this as a song that sounds like it could be on Muppets Tonight! I have to agree...it has a really nifty sound to it... It doesn't sound like anything else they've done that I can think of off the top of my head. 5) S-E-X-X-Y: The Warren Rigg Microwave Mix: I'm not really into dance music, so this doesn't excite me too much. :/ It's alright after S-E-X-X-Y is stopped being repeated... I'll probably warm up to this too...I couldn't stand the World's Address re-mix at first, but now I like it quite a bit... /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:49:48 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: trades? Another day, another message to the masses. Dum de dum de dum... :) I'm interested in trading for *PODAS *Free When You Call From Work *Flood and post-Flood videos, tv appearances, etc. *a boot from any _recent_ show (i.e. '96) any show is fine, but ideally it would have Older, Maybe I Know, They Got Lost, and Counterfeit Faker. (Is it too much to ask for Spin the Dial or Stump the Band?) I can offer: dubs of '93, '94, and '95 Hello's (this includes Mono Puff and State Songs), I(nc), BTS, WDTSS?, the Video Compilation (pre-Flood), and (for all you Frufans) Moxy Fruvous's Bargainville, the B Album, and wood. Any takers? e-mail me privately. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The bells are pealing, and they're revealing the simple key to happiness. It isn't good, it isn't evil-- it's only what the people miss." --They Might be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: SEXXY Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:25:30 -0500 (EST) Apparently there must have been a $2.99 CD version w/o Unforgotten an maybe Sensurround. Why did Tower give me this one? I will have to go back and ask about the other version and the tape single. ah, well it's nice to have different versions. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:26:32 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single review I have to agree with Adam on the S-E-X-X-Y single. S-E-X-X-Y is good of course. I really can't decide which version of Sensurround I like better though. Unforgotten is sort of boring, but it does remind me of some of Their older stuff, and some would say that's good. I love We've Got A World That Swings. It's really, I don't know, _Them_ The remix of S-E-X-X-Y is okay, but I don't really go for dance songs remixes either. The greatest thing about the single is that I didn't know it was out and I just happend to see it while I was in the record store! Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:04:32 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Where is this place? 12/13/96 Granville, OH - Denison University this was posted as one of the dates for the THEY tour... I would like to know if anyone plans on attending it and where it is located... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Greg Nicholson Date: Tue, 26 Nov 96 14:11:57 EST Does anyone know of any record store appearances coming up in the DC area or VA? In particular I was wondering if there might be one the day of the 9:30 Club show in December. Greg ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: HI Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:20:23 +0000 (GMT) From: Sam Allen Hi, i just re-subscribed after being away for over a year (don't ask me how i coped without you all - it was too hard to bear thinking about). 1st thing i get mentions tour dates - does anyone know if they're ever coming to britain ever again??? please let me know! ttfn sam -- Tel: 0976 755512 Address: R106, Harry French Court, Loughborough Uni Ashby Road, Loughborough, Leics. LE11 3UN E-mail: s.allen1@student.lboro.ac.uk Sod diamonds - Hot chocolate and Baileys is a girls best friend... ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:25:55 -0500 Subject: TMBG: yes! oh yes! >>12/29/96 Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall<< OH YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! I'm sorry, I had to just scream for joy, yikes!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Who else besides me is going to try their damndest to go? >>since They aren't going to be coming back to Toronto soon, of those new American dates (I saw there were ones in New York State, etc.) which is closest to Toronto or Buffalo, or whatever?<< Rochester. It's um... an hour and a half away from Bflo. Poughkeepsie is I believe towards Albany. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:31:34 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Muppets Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > Hmmm.... I've always thought it'd be cool if TMBG were on Muppets > Tonight, or better yet, the old Muppet Show (which would be impossible, I > know, but anything is possible in my mind). They could jam with Gonzo and > Rizzo and Kermit & everybody else. That would truly be awesome. Maybe JHP would make a Particle man muppet just for the occasion. Or there could even be John and John muppets! Or they could make real sophisticated puppets for Exquisite Dead Guy! Or They could sing "Put Your Hand Inside the Muppet Head"!!! Sadly, though, I think They aren't high profile enough to be selected for the show. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:05:54 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Jack and Prof Matthew James wrote: > While I've never heard Linnell called the Professor I did hear Linnell > call Flans, "Jack Flansburgh" at the Fairfax County Fair in Virginia. > I cannot remember exactly what was said, something like... > Flans: Ok, Linnell, we're gonna play this in the key of A > Linnell: No, Jack Flansburgh! We're gonna play it in E > Ok I think I really massacred that conversation, it was so long ago I > cannot remember it even partially. Anyone remember? > Matt Actually, I think Linnell started it off. "So what key, Jack Flansburgh?" "Let's try key of B" Of course, my memories' probably even worse than yours... -Mismirilda (Tomorrow we're watching "The Wrong Trousers" in school. Yay!) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:11:52 -0500 From: Pam McLeod Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Muppets Kirsten Brodbeck, Sean Kinlin, and possibly a couple others wrote about TMBG in conjunction with the Muppets. I absolutely LOVE the Muppets, and I was wondering if this was a common shared interest (if so, I'd love to receive personal email from fellow Muppet aficianados). In a similar theme, I brought a copy of John Henry to the environmental engineering lab where I work, and our research team listened to it while we titrated. I made a couple of TMBG converts ("What else do you have by these guys? They're cool."), but one guy asked, "What the hell is this stuff? Sesame Street?!" Apparently he thinks They sound like Grover. Never saw that connection before! Love always, Pam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:13:22 -0600 From: Danny Jones Subject: TMBG: Moderation Definitely count me as a vote FOR a moderated list if someone is willing to do that. I've been a member of this list for years, and I have considered unsubscribing many times to the list. The occasional gem keeps me coming back so far, but there seems to be more and more garbage to sift through. The signal-to-noise ratio is pretty bad, and I am for a moderated list if it improves it. Not looking for an argument, just voicing my vote. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:13:40 -0600 From: Danny Jones Subject: TMBG: How to bootleg? Several have talked about trying to bootleg TMBG concerts. What kind of equipment does it take for one individual to get a quality bootleg? Ideally, you could patch in off the mixing board, but I don't see many folks here being able to do that. Are there portable units capable of getting a good sound from a pocket or purse? How DO you do that? I am going to a show soon, and would love to get a copy. I own everything they have recorded that I can find, and would love to have more! Thanks, DJ ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:38:01 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I hit my Head I hit my head today. I just told you that because I needed a subject. Two things. 1. To all the people who are in favor of a moderated list, isn't what your saying sorta hypocritical? Your asking for a list that will cut all the non-tmbg messages, and yet writing them in the process? The only reason I'd want a moderated list is to keep out the messages asking for one. 2. My theory on XTCvAA Eric: Hey guys, I want my own song. John F: But wah-wah, you've only been with us for three months! Eric: Yeah I know, but I think I've added a lot to you guys in the two shows I've done. John L: Well, you have a point, I don't know how much longer we can go with just Jack playing guitar. John F: What's wrong with my guitar playing? Eric: I don't want to bring it to the point where I'll leave if I don't get my own song. John F: I'm still trying to get more than 3 myself John L: Alright, we can only have 14 songs on this counting token, and I guess you both deserve another song, John you right it, and Eric, you can wail on the guitar during it. But we need to get rid of something, how about They got lost. No one is gonna like that! Moral: The only instrument that is used well on this song is the guitar. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:42:41 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: first names (a John by any other...?) In a message dated 96-11-26 10:50:50 EST, you write: << It's not as weird as you think; their names *are* John, after all. In fact, they have said something to the effect that they do call each other John, with the general understanding of those around them that they are not addressing themselves... I have heard them sometimes refer to each other in the third person by last name only, though. m@t >> Interesting. It makes sense that when they are alone to call eachother "John" because they know who they are talking to, (duh!) Even when in company, I think it would be fun to call eachother John, just to get everyone thinking. It is just like if I were in a group and my partner's name was Joel, I wouldn't fell awkward calling him by that. Food for thought, huh. Joel http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel Yoel97@aol.com JGedalius@aol.com 73337.1156@compuserve.com "Once I thought I was mistaken, but I was wrong" "Don't walk in front of me I may not follow, don't walk behind me I may not lead, just walk beside me and be my friend" --Hillel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:53:58 -0600 From: mjs087@nwu.edu (Matthew Springer) Subject: TMBG: Extra Chicago Ticket To All-- I have an extra ticket for the Chicago show tonight. Sorry for the short notice, but it just opened up a few hours ago. I'm selling it for $20, a bit under its total cost, to whoever E-mails me first before 5:45pm. At that point I'll be leaving for the show. If you decide to take it, I'll be standing outside the venue wearing a red "Underdog" (the cartoon character) baseball cap. That's it... Matt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us because they don't deserve us" --Elvis Costello, ".....And In Every Home" Matthew Springer mjs087@nwu.edu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:12:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Education A while ago, it was mentioned that on each album of TMBG's there is an educational song (ie James K Polk) What is it on Flood? I assume that it is Istanbul, but was educational content is really in that song? 1. Istanbul is in Turkey 2. It used to be named Constantinople 3. New York used to be New Amsterdam That's all I get out of it. James K Polk has so much more to it Any comments? Joel Gedalius http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel Yoel97@aol.com JGedalius@aol.com 73337.1156@compuserve.com "Once I thought I was mistaken, but I was wrong" "Don't walk in front of me I may not follow, don't walk behind me I may not lead, just walk beside me and be my friend" --Hillel ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Education Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:32:22 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck > A while ago, it was mentioned that on each album of TMBG's there is an > educational song (ie James K Polk) > > What is it on Flood? There is also Mammal. The part about "One of us might lose its hair, but you are reminded that it once was there...". Many mammals have lost their hair, but their is a reminder that once, way long ago, they had hair. (Whoa, was that redundant or what?) That song tells alot about what distinguishes mammals from the rest of the animal kingdom (although, as far as I remember, there is no mention of mammary glands, where the name mammal comes from). Warm blood, large four-chambered heart, etc... So, I guess that would make Mammal an educational song. > I assume that it is Istanbul, but was educational content is really in that > song? > 1. Istanbul is in Turkey I was talking with a coworker the other day and we were discussing what we were going to do when (!) we graduate. She is from out of the country and I asked where her parents lived (to see if she would go back there) and she said, "Istanbul". So I immediately said, "Not Constantinople" and she said "Yes" and continued talking. Didn't get it at all, but it made me laugh. -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Programming or dishes? Programming or dishes? This is a life? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:33:28 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: CD5? Adam Tyner wrote: what's the difference > b/w a CD5 and an EP? For example, would the Istanbul CD w/ the various > tracks be a CD5 or an EP? A CD5 is a CD that is only 5 inches in diameter. An EP is the normal width. You may have noticed an indent on the trays of some CD players. This smaller circle is where you can place a CD5. (I almost got one of Don't Let's Start this spring, but I ran out of cash) *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:43:41 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single review Stupid mail program puts my sig first. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > 2) SenSurround - Hmmm...I personally prefer the version on the MMPR > soundtrack. This is a lot faster and the cool Ba-ba-ba bridge is gone. > I'd probably love it a lot more if I hadn't bought the MMPR soundtrack, > but it's still a pretty good song... There's also no 'Ayeiaeyay' after > it. :> Whee. I *love* the new middle part, lots better than the ba-ba-ba's. It's so cool how it jumps from really fast into a really slow funk-type thing. I dunno, it's just cool. I agree with your opinions of the rest, too. Esp. the Warren Rigg remix, argh, 8 minutes of dance mix.... >:( ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: I'm on crack Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:46:00 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck So, I leave the computer lab and turn my headphones back on and Mammal is playing. Then I realized that Mammal is not on Flood, but is on Apollo 18. I don't even know what I was thinking in the last post. First post in a while and then I mess it up with being wrong. Stay away from that crack kids! So, I go into my friendly neighborhood used CD store the other day and thye have a copy of I(nC) and I decide to get it (duh!) and then I listen to it. I like the version of JKP on FS better, except for the la's. I guess I like that acoustical-type guitar thing better. Off to get S-E-X-X-Y, Aaron -- Aaron "B.o.S." Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant kohlbeck@badgerherald.com Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Programming or dishes? Programming or dishes? This is a life? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:46:33 -0800 From: Yossarian Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Vote for your favorite TMBG I am running a poll via my internet mailbox, to try and discover which songs and albums from TMBG are the most liked and most hated. I started at alt.music.tmbg and I have had 20 responses so far. Now I would like to see what the people at tmbg.list like. All you have to do is mail me you favorite 15 songs in order, you least 10 favorite in order, and your favorite 7 albums in order. Th songs will be rated on a 40-30-25-21-17-14-11-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale, least favorites on a -14 -11 -9 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 scale, and the albums on a 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale. When I have enough responses to make me think the results are accurate, I will post the final numbers for EVERY song, and of course all the albums. The current results have Ana NG, She's An Angel, Don't Let's Start, The End of The Tour, and Spiralling Shape at the top. You'll Miss Me, Hotel Detective, and Mr. Klaw are at the bottm. The albums go - Lincoln, FS, Flood, Apollo18, JH, TMBG, and finally, MiscT Hope to hear from you :) *a note from Yossarian* ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: CD5? Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:53:00 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Yossarian: > >Adam Tyner wrote: > what's the difference >> b/w a CD5 and an EP? For example, would the Istanbul CD w/ the various >> tracks be a CD5 or an EP? > >A CD5 is a CD that is only 5 inches in diameter. An EP is the normal >width. You may have noticed an indent on the trays of some CD players. You're thinking of a CD3. The real difference between a CD5 and an EP is that the former is a phyical format, while the other is a logical format. For example, both WDTSS and They'll Need a Crane are EP's, but one was released on CD5 and the other on CD3. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:51:04 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Muppets Sean Kinlin wrote: > > Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > > Hmmm.... I've always thought it'd be cool if TMBG were on Muppets > > Tonight, or better yet, the old Muppet Show (which would be impossible, I > > know, but anything is possible in my mind). They could jam with Gonzo and > > Rizzo and Kermit & everybody else. > > That would truly be awesome. Maybe JHP would make a Particle man > muppet just for the occasion. Or there could even be John and John > muppets! Or they could make real sophisticated puppets for Exquisite Dead > Guy! Or They could sing "Put Your Hand Inside the Muppet Head"!!! > > Sadly, though, I think They aren't high profile enough to be selected for > the show. > > -Sean Is Muppets Tonite still on? I haven't heard anything about it since spring. I beg to differ about being high-profile enough. I think that if the producers were informed, they should realize that it would make an excellent show. -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:58:45 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Education Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: > > > A while ago, it was mentioned that on each album of TMBG's there is an > > educational song (ie James K Polk) > > > > What is it on Flood? > There is also Mammal. The part about "One of us might lose its hair, > but you are reminded that it once was there...". Many mammals have lost > their hair, but their is a reminder that once, way long ago, they had > hair. (Whoa, was that redundant or what?) That song tells alot about > what distinguishes mammals from the rest of the animal kingdom (although, > as far as I remember, there is no mention of mammary glands, where the > name mammal comes from). Warm blood, large four-chambered heart, etc... > So, I guess that would make Mammal an educational song. Not to be nitpicky or anything, but Mammal's not on Flood > > I assume that it is Istanbul, but was educational content is really in that > > song? > > 1. Istanbul is in Turkey > I was talking with a coworker the other day and we were discussing what we > were going to do when (!) we graduate. She is from out of the country and I > asked where her parents lived (to see if she would go back there) and she > said, "Istanbul". So I immediately said, "Not Constantinople" and she said > "Yes" and continued talking. Didn't get it at all, but it made me laugh. I've got Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on my computer, and one of the destinations is Istanbul. My brother, 9, plays it all the time, and asks for my help all the time, and I say the "Not Constantinople" thing all the time. He still hasn't caught on, and listens to the CD, too! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:03:09 -0500 (EST) From: MIKe Rose to the rescue Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: CD5? On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Yossarian wrote: > Adam Tyner wrote: > what's the difference > > b/w a CD5 and an EP? For example, would the Istanbul CD w/ the various > > tracks be a CD5 or an EP? > > A CD5 is a CD that is only 5 inches in diameter. An EP is the normal > width. You may have noticed an indent on the trays of some CD players. > This smaller circle is where you can place a CD5. (I almost got one of > Don't Let's Start this spring, but I ran out of cash) > > *a note from Yossarian* Well, actually, the normal diameter for all CDs is 5 inches, the smaller ones such as DLS and They'll Need A Crane are actually 3 inches, which are what those smaller indentations on some CD trays are for. The CD5 moniker is really just a pretty stupid way some record companies label an EP. I prefer King Missile's idea about it, as on their EP for My Heart Is a Flower they add 3 extra tracks to make it, in their words "A CD-7". MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: How to bootleg? Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:00:11 -0500 (EST) > > Several have talked about trying to bootleg TMBG concerts. What kind of > equipment does it take for one individual to get a quality bootleg? > Ideally, you could patch in off the mixing board, but I don't see many > folks here being able to do that. Are there portable units capable of > getting a good sound from a pocket or purse? How DO you do that? > > I am going to a show soon, and would love to get a copy. I own > everything they have recorded that I can find, and would love to have > more! You would need to take a portable DAT (walkman) recorder in and record the show. But I'm sure they are at least like $700 for one of those suckers. DAT tapes record at a much slower pace (the tape goes around a lot slower) and thus you can record like 2-3 hours worth of stuff. Also, they are better quality than CD I hear. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:00:19 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y: Unforgotten Hi, I just got my copy of the S-E-X-X-Y single and am listening to it today. I had a really crappy day, but it probably is not something I should discuss on the list. For anybody who remembers my post about the freshman I am friends with...it is problems with that combined with trying to figure out who the hell will go to the TMBG concert in pittsburgh with me...siiiigh, anyway... My point is, Unforgotten is a reallly really sad song. I love it, though. I have listened to it like 10 times already. Let me say that I think the original SenSurround better, but for people who have not heard the single...the new little bridge part is soooooo cool :) Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 96 18:18 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Where is this place? > >12/13/96 Granville, OH - Denison University > >this was posted as one of the dates for the THEY tour... >I would like to know if anyone plans on attending it and where it is located... So, um, how close is that to Michigan? I'm getting a little desperate... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:28:27 -0500 (EST) From: MIKe Rose to the rescue Subject: Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust/Amy came to see me On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Bob Gonsalves wrote: > > Awful stuff, the type of thing English teachers make kids interpret, ick. The opposite of a light hearted TMBG song, no wonder They look forward to never seeing that recipe again. > > The singer was Richard Harris, and if it's the same fellow as the British > actor, well, he was a drunken bloke, all right, him and his buddy Peter O'Toole. > Yes, this is the same Richard Harris indeed and he has given us a remarkable musical legacy. However I know of no one who will claim to believe that the lyrics to any of his songs are worthy of academic debate. It is these lyrics in concert with Mr. Harris' astonishing vocal abilities which make his records classics of a certain kind. And when I say astonishing I mean it is astonishing that anyone ever allowed him to sing. His albums include A Tramp Shining, The Yard Went On Forever, Slides, The Love Album, My Boy, and I In The Membership Of My Days. I proudly own them all except for the last though I have heard it and I know I must obtain it. We must be thankful that there is music like this for it provides a singular thrill exclusive to this very sort of embarassingly hysterical self-indulgent material. It's as funny as listening to Shatner or Nimoy sing, so there you go. And our friend Amy Greenlese came to visit me here in Totonot last week (well, she came to visit me and Mrklaw) and indeed a good time was had by all. I'll let her tell you the whole story since she's the one who made the harrowing trip across fields of lava and wartorn tundra to reach us here in the frozen North. Suffice it to say the rumours are true: she's a remarkable gal. And apparently, according to her American pressing of XTC's Nonsuch, it may be only in Canada that the drawing of the building is printed in gold right onto the outer plastic cover of the CD jewel case itself. I called HMV and Tower and none of them have the remotest clue what I'm talking about when I mention the SEXXY EP. I may have to call upon some of my American friends to get the damn thing since it seems like Canada is getting the short end of a raw deal here among other mixed metaphors. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:37:13 +1100 Actually I'm pretty sure that a woman sung it as well (it's hanging in my deep, distant, memory). Something about taking cakes a long time to bake, and bugger me if I now where that bloody recipe book is!! It's just all too long ago. Cheers and beers 10000ft Septic >---------- >From: Bob Gonsalves[SMTP:pinknoiz@ccnet.com] >Sent: Tuesday, 26 November, 1996 3:23 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Not my birthday: dust > >While I'm at it, I'll rattle on a little more about this song. I just looked >at the interpretation archives and this following connection wan't mentioned. >In the early 70's there was this very popular and totally prententious, >bombastic song released called "MacArthur Park". Some of the lyrics include: > >"MacArthur Park is melting in the dark... >Someone left the cake out in the rain >And I don't think that I could take it >Because it took so long to make it >And I'll never have the recipe again >Oh No" > >Awful stuff, the type of thing English teachers make kids interpret, ick. The >opposite of a light hearted TMBG song, no wonder They look forward to never >seeing that recipe again. > >The singer was Richard Harris, and if it's the same fellow as the British >actor, well, he was a drunken bloke, all right, him and his buddy Peter >O'Toole. > > >Bob Gonsalves, Research Director, Pink Noise Studios >Art*Technology*Politics >home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ work: >http:/www.aphasia.com > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 23:34:15 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: BOYCOTT BEN FOLDS FIVE! (TMBG Unrelated) Ben Folds Five are a bunch of homophobic, anti-gay arseholes. Tonight, upon commenting on the Norwegian press's interpretation of their "punk rock for sissies" credo, they used terminology that was derogatory to the gay community and highly offensive. BBF deserve to sink into oblivion and the sooner they do, the better humanity can enjoy a life free of prejudice. In case any of you are wondering... YES - I am gay. Yes - I am proud of who I am. Yes - I am pretty pissed off. Joe -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: What They Call They Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:53:44 -0600 Well, i hope this hasn't been said yet, but i think they call eachother "John" Why not? It's like "Hey John," do you think they would be referring to themself? Well, in all the interviews and stuff they do, like "I'll lets john answer that one" -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- "Go ahead, wreck your life, that might be good"- They Might Be Giants (Spiralling Shape) Wyatt Glodell wglodell@baraboo.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: What time is it? From: justhangingout@juno.com (Alfred N Tinsley) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:58:31 EST sorry for the short post but my friend that was going with me to Kansas City took off to Coneticut and forgot to tell me what time the concert starts if any one knows please write back before 4:00 central time Wendsday I would really appreciate it Nick "Selling e-coli burgers couldn't do no harm"-Presidents of the United States of America ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 23:53:09 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: UK Listers - PLEASE NOTE THIS I guess I'll be lucky to get a reply to this (after my last post), but anyways... Tonight I managed to get hold of 2 copies of Back To Skull EP (on CD) at 1.99 each (they're "cut-out" copies - ie there's a notch carved into the= spine). So - I've got a spare. I'm looking for cost plus postage (let's say =A32.50= - cuz I'll only send it recorded). If anyone's interested mail me= personally..... Joe -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:09:18 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y ep On top of things as usual, (yeah, right) I've got the lyrics for the S-E-X-X-Y ep online at www.tmbg.org. I have yet to do the remix, but there isn't any new stuff there, just "SEXXY" over and over. Could you guys look it over? Drop me a line if I made any mistakes, and thanks to all who have helped. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: that cake in the rain song Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:11:40 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called Maria, Nick...... > Actually I'm pretty sure that a woman sung it as well (it's hanging in > my deep, distant, memory). Something about taking cakes a long time to > bake, and bugger me if I now where that bloody recipe book is!! It's > just all too long ago. i don't know if you're thinking of the same woman here (bearing in mind she was just a wee lass at the time). i admit i have a cassette of young talent time's 10th or 15th or some such anniversary, where Tina Arena (If i recall correctly) does an ear-splitting rendition of this song. I particularly hate the Oooohhhhh-nooooooooooooooooooooooo bit. There are some other classic gems on that tape also. yours scarily, tamara. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Education Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:07:46 -0600 >A while ago, it was mentioned that on each album of TMBG's there is an >educational song (ie James K Polk) > >What is it on Flood? >I assume that it is Istanbul, but was educational content is really in that >song? > >1. Istanbul is in Turkey They mention that? Really? I can't say i know as i got sick of that song a few years ago and skip it. >2. It used to be named Constantinople >3. New York used to be New Amsterdam Well, educational enough > > But what about pink? Looking through i see no educational songs. Another way their songs can be educational is i pick up new words occasionally on them. With a new sig, |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| | Wyatt Glodell | | WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM | |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:35:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: well, i hardly think thats fair... im betting almost everyone got the s-e-x-x-y single.... EXCEPT ME!!!!!!!! thats right, i go to SAM GOODYS,the only music store near me,and this is what happened.... "do you have the new THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS single?" "who?" "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS..." "um,let me check....wait,are you SURE its 'THEY-MIGHT-BE-GIANTS'?" "umm,yeah..." "no,we dont have one listed" thats it. i am going to THE WIZ tomorrow,hopefully they will have it. onto a tmbg-related event.... my friend played LUCKY BALL AND CHAIN for his rock and roll class today,and i am SHOCKED to say his teacher HEARD of them!!! not only that,but when my friend hansel asked "has anyone heard of tmbg?" ,3 PEOPLE I KNOW RAISED THEIR HANDS!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:54:51 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Dull but worth noting.........? > Last night, I dreamt I went to a club near me and they played 'hide away folk > family'. > Interesting eh???? Perhaps not, But it's a nice thought............... WEll, about a week ago I dreamed that I missed Their only concert in Colorado. So I went home, and there They were talking with my parents. I think I got a sort of private concert, and even got to talk to Flans about his french toast recipe! and sorry about not helping the anti-moderated list discussion.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: well, i hardly think thats fair... Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:01:10 -0600 >im betting almost everyone got the s-e-x-x-y single.... >EXCEPT ME!!!!!!!! >thats right, i go to SAM GOODYS,the only music store near me,and this is what >happened.... >"do you have the new THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS single?" >"who?" >"THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS..." >"um,let me check....wait,are you SURE its 'THEY-MIGHT-BE-GIANTS'?" >"umm,yeah..." >"no,we dont have one listed" >thats it. i am going to THE WIZ tomorrow,hopefully they will have it. onto a Well, i also didn't get it, because the only music stores around here aer 45 minutes away, and they wouln't have it. Or would they? Has anyone from madison (there are a few, right) found it? Is there a music store besides at the malls/ best buy/ barnes and noble? like a tower records? anything? i didn't think so >tmbg-related event.... >my friend played LUCKY BALL AND CHAIN for his rock and roll class today,and i >am SHOCKED to say his teacher HEARD of them!!! not only that,but when my >friend hansel asked "has anyone heard of tmbg?" ,3 PEOPLE I KNOW RAISED THEIR >HANDS!!!!!! > YOu should of asked what they had heard..... chances are it was particle man/istanbul. |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| | Wyatt Glodell | | WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM | |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: Education Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:28:06 +1100 Obviously ''Minimum Wage' is educational! Explains everything you need to know about sociology!! Nuff said! Cheers and beers 10000ft Septic >---------- >From: Yoel97@aol.com[SMTP:Yoel97@aol.com] >Sent: Wednesday, 27 November, 1996 6:12 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Education > >A while ago, it was mentioned that on each album of TMBG's there is an >educational song (ie James K Polk) > >What is it on Flood? >I assume that it is Istanbul, but was educational content is really in that >song? > >1. Istanbul is in Turkey >2. It used to be named Constantinople >3. New York used to be New Amsterdam > >That's all I get out of it. James K Polk has so much more to it > >Any comments? > >Joel Gedalius http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel > >Yoel97@aol.com >JGedalius@aol.com >73337.1156@compuserve.com > >"Once I thought I was mistaken, but I was wrong" >"Don't walk in front of me I may not follow, don't walk behind me I may not >lead, just walk beside me and be my friend" --Hillel > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:44:19 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Education On Tue, 26 Nov 1996 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > 1. Istanbul is in Turkey > 2. It used to be named Constantinople > 3. New York used to be New Amsterdam Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Q: If you could be any animal, what would you be? John Sidney Linnell's A: A delicious Steak Dinner. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Hello Gripe number 639 From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:47:33 EST Has anyone received anything from Hello since Laura Cantrell (a fine singer)? I am getting pretty ticked, and I want my bird shirt and my House O' Mayors! I've left numerous messages on their machine, to no avail! BTW, I really need a new quote for my .sig! +++ From the desk of Justin W. Smith +++ jsmith@e-tex.com -- justin@tmbg.org -- istanbul@juno.com Yes, well, you geeks are an odd blend of doors and brakes. -Douglas Coupland, microserfs +++ The above letter is 100% accurate. My modem has Error Checking. +++ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Howdy from Texas!! From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:47:33 EST I FEEL YOUR PAIN, FELLOW TEXAN! Anyway, Flansburg says that They may be coming to San Antonio some time next year, and Mono Puff may show up in Ausin sooner or later. Meanwhile, They will continue to taunt me by putting on shows in Washington D.C., less than 2 hours from my old house! +++ From the desk of Justin W. Smith +++ jsmith@e-tex.com -- justin@tmbg.org -- istanbul@juno.com Yes, well, you geeks are an odd blend of doors and brakes. -Douglas Coupland, microserfs +++ The above letter is 100% accurate. My modem has Error Checking. +++ On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:45:42 -0800 ECKM1657 writes: >dear listers: I'm new here and I'm from Texas(ain't that a double >negative). I'd just like to say I am on of the few fans in Lubbock, >the >home of Buddy Holly. Will the Johns and crew be touring anywhere near >the >pan-handle. Also, it's hard to get hold of singles around here. Any >ideas? > >" Cookie in one hand, wig on her head. S-E-X-X-Y" > >eckm1657@lcu.edu > ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:51:30 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: single Hello everybody. I haven't gotten the s-e-x-x-y single yet either, but I'm hoping to tomorrow when I go home for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I'll be able to find it in Madison somewhere. Best Buy should have it. If not, it'll probably be at one of those obscure cd shops down on state street. To whoever was wondering about Madison: try state street! -Heather ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: wacky Elektra Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:00:30 -0500 (EST) I love what Elektra puts on their CDs (as shown on the SEXXY single): Elektra Entertainment Group, a Division of Warner Communications, Inc for the United States and WEA for *the world outside of the United States*. Apparently there are 2 worlds on this one planet. hehehehe Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Education From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:47:35 EST >Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? The song doesn't mention it (maybe it would if TMBG wrote it, rather than Neil Simon), but it's in Europe, just across the straight at the outlet of the Black Sea from Asia. I learned that in my Humanities class, where I played Istanbul as a wrap-up to our Byzantine unit. Cause Istanbul was Constantinople, but Constantinople was once Byzantium. Ain't publick edgucashun grate? java.man ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Education From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:53:00 EST On Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:44:19 -0500 (GMT-0500) BlueDawg writes: >On Tue, 26 Nov 1996 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > >> 1. Istanbul is in Turkey >> 2. It used to be named Constantinople >> 3. New York used to be New Amsterdam > >Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? Eurasia. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:53:26 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Just got the single.... S~E~X~X~Y: The radio edit is cool... I heard it on the radio twice and I was hoping that they would put the radio version on the single rather than the album version. I like the song... Sensurround: Cool! I love it. I haven't heard the MMPR version, but the bridge section is so awesome. I don't know if ba-ba's could be better... I'll have to get the MMPR sndtrk from the library... Also, the bridge part has some of those groovy sound effects from Space Suit... Unforgotten: Neat. Slow. HAven't listened to the lyrics well enough. Maybe I'll review it later... WGAWTS: hehe.... Muppets Tonite... also, gotta love the happy music-twisted lyrics thing... (atom bombs.... half the universe up in arms...) Isn't this a cover, though? Correct me if Im wrong. SEXXY Remix: Boring, repetitive, everything a techno-dance song should be. (Anyone wanna help me do a 60-minute Macarena re-mix? .... A joke.... please don't hurt me.... :) Added bonus!!!: New Wave XMAS: Got that today... cool.... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot ---> http://spot.home.ml.org The Happy ASCII Squirrel (5,000 ft) ---> . ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 03:00:58 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: List clutter On Istanbul singles: I paid ten bucks for mine and am willing to part with it for eight. I never listen to CDs anyway. On Maybe I Know: The woman in question is Leslie Gore. On It's Not My Birthday: > > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." etc. etc. > > only dust his mother raised. His mother must have had another child. I thought he was being obvious until I reached the end. This is a great example of how multilayered Their songs can be. On one level, he's doing nothing more than making a pun about raising dust. On another, there's this whole Bible thing, which I think has merit. If you eat food raised from the ground, that can be interpreted as eating the ground, and when you eat something, it becomes part of you, at least on a molecular level. Thus, you are dust, and still raised by your mother. Schweet! On Jack=Flansy, professor=Linnell: Jack was a nickname for John way back when. It's in *The Importance of Being Earnest* and various older English things, as well as being the nickname of my scary old college interviewer. Buenas Noches, Kilroy The nuttiest sound around. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:57:10 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Unfair.... (Semi-TMBG: And boring too...) In my town there are two high schools North and South... my friend goes to North, I go to South... People in his Spanish class sing S~E~X~X~Y everyday in class... The only people at my school who know about TMBG are me and a few other "hey, yeah, particle man... cool" people.... Hey, I warned you in the subject line! Don't complain to me if it's unrelated or boring! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot ---> http://spot.home.ml.org The Happy ASCII Squirrel (5,000 ft) ---> . ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Education Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:59:04 -0500 (EST) > >Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? > The song doesn't mention it (maybe it would if TMBG wrote it, rather than > Neil Simon), but it's in Europe, just across the straight at the outlet > of the Black Sea from Asia. I learned that in my Humanities class, where > I played Istanbul as a wrap-up to our Byzantine unit. Cause Istanbul was > Constantinople, but Constantinople was once Byzantium. Ain't publick > edgucashun grate? But isn't Istanbul part of Turkey which is in Asia? Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: List clutter Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 23:02:54 -0500 (EST) > On Istanbul singles: > I paid ten bucks for mine and am willing to part with it for eight. I never listen to CDs anyway. Yes! Let's all get Edison Wax Cylindar players! We shall proclaim ourselves old fashioned like the Puritans! That means we have to wear belt buckles on our hats. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:25:07 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: What They Call They Wyatt Glodell wrote: > > Well, i hope this hasn't been said yet, but i think they call > eachother "John" > > Why not? It's like "Hey John," do you think they would be referring > to themself? > > Well, in all the interviews and stuff they do, like "I'll lets john > answer that one" > Simon sometimes talks about himself in the third person. It can be quite amusing, he thinks. -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:22:41 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Education This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------B0D48B9676B Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Tim B Lloyd wrote: > > >Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? > The song doesn't mention it (maybe it would if TMBG wrote it, rather than > Neil Simon), but it's in Europe, just across the straight at the outlet > of the Black Sea from Asia. I learned that in my Humanities class, where > I played Istanbul as a wrap-up to our Byzantine unit. Cause Istanbul was > Constantinople, but Constantinople was once Byzantium. Ain't publick > edgucashun grate? Actually, it's in both Europe and Asia 'cuz it's on both sides of that strait (ok, so I can't remember the name and am too lazy to look it up.) PS for those of you using Netscape (best with Crescendo http://www.liveupdate.com) there's an extra treat. And oh yeah, maybe Internet Explorer, too. Lemme know! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who --------------B0D48B9676B Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii; name="Generic_MIDI_Template.html" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="Generic_MIDI_Template.html" Content-Base: "file:///F|/Simon/WiscWorld/Netscape/HT ML/Thor/Generic_MIDI_Template.html" A MIDI File

--------------B0D48B9676B-- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 23:29:20 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: List clutter On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Matthew James wrote: > ourselves old fashioned like the Puritans! That means we have to wear > belt buckles on our hats. > Matt > We don't need belt buckles on our hats, just prostetic foreheads on our heads. Everybody wants prostetic foreheads on their real heads. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:33:58 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Jukebox Update Complete! It's here! I have successfully added a modest collection of TMBG MIDIs to the jukebox at my site: http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~sfkoch/ It may work or not depending on your browser, but to make sure, get Crescendo! at: http://www.liveupdate.com Lemme know what you think! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:47:15 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Hello Gripe number 639 Justin Smith wrote: > > Has anyone received anything from Hello since Laura Cantrell (a fine > singer)? I am getting pretty ticked, and I want my bird shirt and my > House O' Mayors! I've left numerous messages on their machine, to no > avail! Me too! all I have is up July, and it is almost december, and my Hello back order for '93 didn't have Hello the Band, in which they haven't returned my calls either.:( Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:41:27 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: as dumb as this sounds An angel in the form of Lawrence P Solomon came to me in a dream and wrote: > Call 412-391-1111 for tickets. I'm not sure if this is Metropol or > Ticketbastard's number, though. > The show starts at 7:30, doors open at 6:30. > It's a Saturday. > Tickets are $15.75 + ticketbastard. I didn't know They used ticket master, they've always used a small time local ticketer when in Salt Lake City, with no service charge. Ah well, maybe it's the venue. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:00:10 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: I hit my Head I'm a tad on the confused side. What do you mean: >Eric: Yeah I know, but I think I've added a lot to you guys in the two >shows I've done. >John L: Well, you have a point, I don't know how much longer we can go >with >just Jack playing guitar.? Are you saying Flans isn't a good guitarist? I happen to be one of those people who plays guitar, but thinks boring solos like Eric's eat away at songs. Also in a radio appearance in Salt Lake City, UT on 11/15 in which they also played accordion on all these songs: NYC/YOWE/interview/SEXXY/Birdhouse/Maybe I Know (I have this on tape for you bootleggers) this was said: "...unfortunately these guys are lifers. Brian Doherty on Drums, Grahm Mabey (sp?) on Bass. We've tried all the rest...." I didn't hear Eric mentioned, did you?? well, I have to go now, I'll have more later after I get your Email (*or someone elses) saying how I misunderstood you and all that. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:21:03 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: TMBG: Re: in the City of Angels pt. 3 I just wanted to add some other interestings things about the show at the Hollywood Palace. 11/23/96 Spider The Guitar- Linnel played the horn parts on the keyboard James K. Polk -Flans remarked that "the one republican in the audience always raises his fist during the independent treasury line." New York City -"This is a song written by Cub, the only people who would be happy to take a 3 day trip to NYC." He sang Cub's original lyrics. ("Empire State where King Kong lived") Your Own Worst Enemy Particle Man How Can I Sing Like a Girl -"This is a song about personal freedom." Don't Let's Start Subliminal Spy - Flans conducted the audience and the band in the improv section. He asked each member of the band to play a song he (J.F) knows. They all played 60s and 70s songs that sounded familiar but I'm not sure of exactly which songs they were. I think Eric played a Hendrix song, Grahm played "Smoke on the Water", and Doherty played "Walk This Way." Then they each played their parts at the same time as Flans directed them and he pointed to the audience to scream when he cued them. They Got Lost Ana Ng Istanbul -weird keyboard intro Pet Name -"This is a song about two people very much in love...with themselves." Flans didn't play guitar Metal Detector -Linnell picked up the accordian before the song started and then he put it back down. XTC vs. Adam Ant Exquisite Dead Guy S-E-X-X-Y -the Palace's disco ball was spinning, Flans switched to his custom shaped guitar. Turn Around -"This is a song off the Apollo 18 album that we don't play very often." accordian Why Does The Sun Shine? -the rockin' version Birdhouse in Your Soul No One Knows My Plan -Flansburgh said, "I know this is L.A. but try to have some fun for once in your lives" when he told the audience to get in conga lines. Dig My Grave Older - lots of laughs from the crowd Twisting -Linnell played the keyboard solo the same as the intro, the way it is on Flood Till My Head Falls Off -Mr. Maby stood on his amp. I was expecting him to leap off it at the end of the song. The Famous Polka -2nd encore. Linnell jumped all around the stage with his accordian. Flans broke a guitar string at each of the guitar pauses in the song. "We have to go because of the disco curfew." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 00:25:02 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Hello Gripe number 639 On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, J Mathews wrote: > > Me too! all I have is up July, and it is almost december, and my Hello > back order for '93 didn't have Hello the Band, in which they haven't > returned my calls either.:( Yes, I've received only the first five CD's so far, up to July, along with the shirt. This all cost me $90 Canadian so I had better get the rest. But then Flans has called Hello a "funky" organisation. I think he'd better get a new idea in his head of what it takes to run a club like this. For one thing they have never answered any of my emails about anything. Through the good graces of Amy Greenlese I managed to snag a copy of the recent Info Club mailing. (This is not to say I am not still hoping to get a copy of my own from them, for when I do that will mean they will be aware of my existence again). Anyway I found it interesting to note which items they have stopped selling. It seems that it is no longer possible to order the following EPs: Istanbul, The Guitar, I Palindrome I, The Statue Got Me High, the CD of Hotel Detective, and the CD of Don't Let's Start. Also unavailable is Flood on vinyl. I had no idea so many items were out of print. MIKe http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 00:48:22 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Sexxy singleSSS I found two S-E-X-X-Y singles today. One for 3.49 had this: SEXXY We've Got a World That Swings SEXXY mix The other, for 5.99, had this: SEXXY SenSurround Unforgotten WGAWTS SEXXY MIX However, other than that they looked EXACTLY the same! It was odd...... *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: I hit my Head Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:45:45 +1100 >< >< >> >> > >I hate to say it, but it is interesting if you like (what I term) guitar >wank. It took me a while to realise that there are bits and pieces of self >gratifying guitaring throughout FS - something which my sub concious was >thoughtful enough to filter out of my eardrums. Unfortunately the writings >on the list uncovered my ears and I was subjected to those screeching solos. >I swear that they are the only thing preventing a great album FS from being a >greatest album (scusie my English). > >I do like guitar. I just don't like guitar wank (it's alomost as bad as drum >solos!!). > >Cheers and beers > >10000ft Septic > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:47:13 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG at the Palace I agree with those who already posted that the Palace was a better show. they sounded better, played better and seemed more into it then the night before at the El Rey. there was much more banter. My disappoinment was that they didn't deviate more from the previous evening's set list. the big surprise was the appearence of the Famous Polka. Of course it ony made me hungry for more old stuff!!! It was cool to hear Metal Detector. After the two shows they had played ten out of the 13 on FS (not counting TBTB). they didn't play Spiralling Shape, I Can Hear You or the Bells are Ringing. And to the person who asked...yes they used the accordian during the Famous Polka and Turn Around. During the band play your favorite song bit I could have sworn Graham played Pleasant Valley Sunday (monkees). Bummed that I can't go to the Lupos show in RI. My parents moved forom RI to Sarasota, Florida so it'll be my first Christmas outside N.E. the fact that TMBG will be at Lupos and I won't makes it extra annoying. Lupos is pretty small and is a good place to see anybody. Oh well... Herne p.s. I can't believe Killroy was right next to me at the El Rey and I didn't know it. Doh!!! ------------------------------ From: benjamin c salmon Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 01:51:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: later on I just joined this list the other day. I love they might be giants very very much, they are absolutely one of my favorite bands, but I think they peaked with lincoln, flood, and apollo 18, and are now on a seriously gradual decline. I hope when I see em on dec 5, they will prove me wrong, but, to be honest, i'm just about more excited about seeing cub. if you wanna email me and tell me i'm wrong, you'll have to do it privately, i'm unsubscribing from the list (too much mail) but don't write and tell me i'm not a real fan, or i don't understand, because i still think tmbg are the second or third best band ever, and they were actually very important to my life, not just liking a band if that made sense, i just think there best days are behind em (They're not-so-good songs are better than, literally, 98% of the songs in the world) I know this message will annoy y'all, but i figured i might as well contribute a little somethin' ben (I still wanna see she's an angel live) "Believe in what you wanna do" -s. malkmus ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-325 ******************************