Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-326 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 326 Thursday, 28 November 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Happy Happy Joy Joy TMBG: XTC vs. Adam / A better CD5 definition / Superfueled What? TMBG: F*** you, Lorne Greene. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-325 TMBG: HELP!!! TMBG: Re: I hit my Head TMBG: Sexxy singleSSS (fwd TMBG: Hootie (oh dear) TMBG: Istanbul TMBG: Russ TMBG: Istanbul CD5 TMBG: heh.. TMBG: My views on the band TMBG: SEXXY singles Re: TMBG: HELP!!! TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y: Too many formats TMBG: El Ray Show and other stuff Re: TMBG: SEXXY singles TMBG: Info on Rochester show-- whoo hoooo!!!! TMBG:A LETTER TMBG: SEXXY + hair + OAT TMBG: I need Columbus show info, please. TMBG: Web Site Midis TMBG: Time Signature TMBG: Hello problems? Re: TMBG: Hello problems? TMBG: New Wave X-mas Re: TMBG: Time Signature Re: TMBG: Hello problems? Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas Re: TMBG: heh.. Re: TMBG: I need Columbus show info, please. Re: TMBG: Where is this place? Re: TMBG: Time Signature Re: TMBG: Time Signature Re: TMBG: HELP!!! TMBG: TMBG- Factory Showroom Length Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:04:59 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Happy Happy Joy Joy Thanks Cort for the confirmation of the Red Bank show! This will make my winter break that much more enjoyable. Just a couple things about the show: 1. Tickets- This could be a First Night sponsored event (non-alcoholic New Years Eve party). You will need a button to get into one of the events. The buttons cost $8 and go on sale on Fri. 11/29. There could be an additional charge for the show, but I'm not sure. The web address where the info could be at its freshest is www.exit-109.com (address may be wrong, fiddle around with it). 2. Directions- It seems like i'm the only one on the list who lives within 25 miles of Red Bank. Therefore it also seems I'm going to be the one giving out directions. I can give directions from the following areas: New York City, Newark, Trenton, Philly, and Delaware. If you need them email me personally with the area you are coming from. Also note that I will not respond until Sun. 12/1 at the earliest (the computer is not going home with me over the holiday break). 3. A personal plea- Even though I live about 15 miles from Red Bank, I may need a ride to the show! If I get a blessing from my mom and can purchase a ticket, I will be looking for transportation. I live right by the Garden State Parkway just south of Red Bank, so it won't be much of a detour :) Have a happy turkey day! Craig ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 03:56:53 -0500 Subject: TMBG: XTC vs. Adam / A better CD5 definition / Superfueled What? Hi! >The CD5 moniker is really just a pretty stupid way some record companies label >an EP. The main difference between CD5's and EPs is that the vast majority of CD5s are housed in the singles section of your local record store and carry a list price of up to $6.99. CD5s also tend to clock in at around 15 minutes in length (remix singles being an exception) and unlike true EPs (such as Alice In Chains' "Jar of Flies", which is thirty minutes long), they are not grouped with the regular albums in the distributor catalogues. Also, CD5s are usually titled after the lead song on the disc and that lead song is pushed to the radio stations. I agree with Joshua Hall-Bachner's comments about Eric's guitar playing on XTC vs. Adam Ant. Apparently, he believes TMBG is a heavy-metal band or something. Thank goodness he quits that racket 20 seconds in the song, otherwise the song would be really annoying. I'm going through my head, adding up the running times of the CD singles and I'm wondering what exactly They plan to fill up the second disc of Superfueled Freakcycle with. At first I thought it was going to be the "mini-tour" songs, but recent discussion leads me to believe that those tracks will be released as a seperate album next year. So what is the plan? A bonus live album?! The Ben Folds Five boycott: No one's going to join your boycott because your description of Ben Folds' transgressions are way too vague (no detail). >To all the people who are in favor of a moderated list, isn't what your >saying sorta hypocritical? Your asking for a list that will cut all the >non-tmbg messages, and yet writing them in the process? You've proven one thing: that you didn't read *all* of the "moderation" messages closely. My post contained TMBG material, so your statement is incorrect. I don't remember anyone proposing we cut out *all* TMBG discussion, either. Please pay attention to the posts you comment on. Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 05:50:06 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: F*** you, Lorne Greene. Ok, here's the little disclaimer thingy: if you don't want to hear about what a wonderful time I had visiting Mike Rose and Alex Gershon, then delete this message now. There is TMBG content, but it's mostly just me talking about my great time in Toronto. :) Well! I want to stress to everyone that Mike and Alex are two of the greatest people on the face of this planet! I was lucky enough to be able to visit them for a whole week, and I had such a great time. I don't know how many of you are able to make TMBG references anytime you want to without getting weird looks, but I personally don't have any close friends around me that like Them. So being around two huge fans for a week was great! I got to walk all around the city with Alex on two days, and boy is there a lot to take in. Especially for me, who had just come from my little rural town of 5000 people in western Ohio. And I noticed that the city of Toronto seems to be afraid of being attacked or something.... everywhere you turn, there's another Dominion -- Toronto Dominion Bank, Dominion Grocery Stores, Dominion Square, an apartment building called Dominion something or other, and on my way home I passed a truck that said Dominion Foam. Am I the only one who sees something strange about all of those Dominions?? Oh and I wanted to thank Alex for helping me steal a napkin dispenser from his university. And Mike showed me some of the films that he made while he was in school -- they were all great (I think I saw 3 of them) and everyone should read his stories, which of course are posted at Mr. Flippy's page. I also saw Evil Dead II, which is a great movie! I highly suggest it to anyone, even if you don't enjoy watching lots of fake blood spray all over people. We saw the studios where Much Music is taped, and if you have Russ Josephson's compilation video you'll remember that John and John were on Much Music in 1990. (if you don't have the video, you should get it) Are They going to be on Much Music again anytime? The only thing that they ever seemed to air when we watched it was rap videos. Well, that's my short review of my trip -- so much happened that I forgot most of it. Oh, and if you're curious about the subject of this message, email Mike Rose (flippy@yucc.yorku.ca) and he'll tell you all about it. Till next time, Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org If the computer does not give what you believe to be a correct response to your input, try pressing the keys harder ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:35:01 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-325 Joe Keith said: >Ben Folds Five are a bunch of homophobic, anti-gay arseholes. > >Tonight, upon commenting on the Norwegian press's interpretation of their >"punk rock for sissies" credo, they used terminology that was derogatory to >the gay community and highly offensive. > >BBF deserve to sink into oblivion and the sooner they do, the better >humanity can enjoy a life free of prejudice. I appreciate your feelings, but you can't really expect us to boycott Ben Folds' Five without knowing what they said. So... what did they say (assuming you don't mind repeating it)? Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look I've found out how to get a signature at the end. And I've even got a pretentious quote to include: "The greater is the beauty, The profounder is the stain, Humanity, Significant of the forbidden is transgressed in eroticism" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 22:27:01 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: HELP!!! I hate parents! I convinced them to let me go to the concert in Milwaukee Saturday, if two of my friends (the ones who introduced me to the wonders that are They Might Be Giants) could go. They talked to their parents, but they decided that The Rave was too close to inner-city Milwaukee, so they couldn't go, and so I can't unless I come up with a really good plan. No one else in Berlin has ever heard of TMBG, and I really want to go see them. Anyone who has an idea for convincing my parents, PLEASE let me know, no matter how dumb it may sound. THANX for the help, Simon -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 07:48:10 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: I hit my Head >I'm a tad on the confused side. What do you mean: >>Eric: Yeah I know, but I think I've added a lot to you guys in the two >>shows I've done. > >>John L: Well, you have a point, I don't know how much longer we can go >>with >>just Jack playing guitar.? Are you saying Flans isn't a good guitarist? I >happen to be one of >those people who plays guitar, but thinks boring solos like Eric's eat >away at songs. Also in a radio appearance in Salt Lake City, UT on 11/15 >in which they also played accordion on all these songs: >NYC/YOWE/interview/SEXXY/Birdhouse/Maybe I Know (I have this on tape for >you bootleggers) this was said: >"...unfortunately these guys are lifers. Brian Doherty on Drums, Grahm >Mabey (sp?) on Bass. We've tried all the rest...." >I didn't hear Eric mentioned, did you?? well, I have to go now, I'll >have more later after I get your Email (*or someone elses) saying how I >misunderstood you and all that. There was no apparent misunderstanding on either part. Yes I am saying the Flansburgh is not a great guitarist. Yes I am saying that I like the guitar on XvAA. Regardless of whether it is "Like them" It is a wonderfully constructed solo. I don't think it's "boring" ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Sexxy singleSSS (fwd Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:40:53 -0500 (EST) > I found two S-E-X-X-Y singles today. One for 3.49 had this: > SEXXY > We've Got a World That Swings > SEXXY mix > > The other, for 5.99, had this: > SEXXY > SenSurround > Unforgotten > WGAWTS > SEXXY MIX They had these same two at the Tower near me. I got both. Actually, I asked the guy for the single when I got there early Tuesday because they didn't have them on the shelf yet. I assumed it was the 5 song version. It was the 3 song version for $2.99. I then went back and got the 5 song version for $4.99. I wonder why they are higher priced in your neck of the woods? Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 14:52:46 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Hootie (oh dear) To the world of TMBG but esp. those on my side of the pond (UK) I heard on Virgin the other day that Hootie are continuing their world tour (??) into Britian, and their going to be in London sometime in December. Now I know this is such a sad long short but I've never seen them live. Does anyone know if THEY might (heh heh) still tour with them to over here. Not likely is it. On a happier note, rumour from a nice fan who works at HMV in Kingston (London) said they would be over here at the end of March. Which is nice. Anyway see you all someday Jon *********************************************** * They say love is blind, but I don't think * * you're blind. You don't seem to understand * * I don't want to shake your father's hand * * Or walk in the sand, or act like a man. * *********************************************** ------------------------------ From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:02:54 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Istanbul Something really strange happened to me today. And its all to do with Istanbul. There I was happyily minding my own business listening to Flood (not my favorite but I hadn't heard it in a while so) and Istanbul came on. A friend of mine, an exchange student from Greece came in, demanding to know where the song had come from. After showing her the Album and all that she told me a complete history of Constaninople and its Greek orgins. Its greek aparently and the Turks invaded it and took it when it was Greek, because they had stole it from the turks. Istanbul is a coruption of the word constantinople: stan ple : Istanbul. So there you go. I guess Istanbul is educational. Its amazing what you learn isn't it. See ya soon, Jon ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Russ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:37:21 -0500 (EST) Could Russ Josephson please send me an email? thanks. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:57:58 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Istanbul CD5 Hey, CD Banzai! has a copy of the Istanbul CD5 for less than $7!!!! I asked my father to buy me a copy (this college student doesn't have a credit card...oh well), and he said everything went fine... I think the URL is www.cdbanzai.com (it makes sense, anyway. :). TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:03:07 -0800 From: Chris Ricci Subject: TMBG: heh.. They Might be Muppets?? That would make the most excellent video of all time!!! It has to be done!! Other than that, I think that for those of you who have been fortunate enough to work at a concert with TMBG, you need to remember that touring is probably the hardest job there is. As a promoter you need to appreciate what it is like to move every day eating crappy food and sleeping in hotel rooms never having any privacy.. Its not easy and the one thing that is guaranteed is that the band is NOT going to happy all the time regardless of what you do. Anyway while looking at things, you need to look at everyone else's perspective in addition to your own.. TMBG + Glam Rock = HIT SINGLE!!! Enjoy! Chris Chris Ricci 4th and B Concerts 345 B Street San Diego CA 92101 (619) 231-4343 http://www.4thandb.com Superfriction Records: 1 (888)-602-0149 Check out the Superfriction Records Web Page and get free stuff!!! http://www.adnc.com/web/superf ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 13:31:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My views on the band Dear fellow TMBG-ers, This is my first time posting to the list, and I thought I should tell a little bit about my favorite and least favorite TMBG songs: First of all these are my favorite TMBG songs: I Palindrome I, Ana Ng, Particle Man, Istanbul (Not Constantinople), They'll Need a Crane, Destination Moon, AKA Driver, Till My Head Falls Off, The Statue Got Me High, We Want a Rock, and How Can I Sing Like a Girl?. These are my least favorite TMBG songs: Why Does the Sun Shine? and XTC vs. Adam Ant. Chris - "Interesting and sophisticated, refusing to be celebrated..." - The Tragically Hip "I should be allowed to glue my poster, I should be allowed to think." - TMBG ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 12:22:34 MST Subject: TMBG: SEXXY singles I was able to get 2 copies of the SEXXY single at Blockbuster music for $3.50 each, and they have all five songs on them. I didn't see any cassette singles. Has anybody seen the SEXXY cassette singles? Do they have different songs on them. Oh and I checked for hidden tracks on the single. Nope. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:00:37 -0800 (PST) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: TMBG: HELP!!! ok.. here ya go.. 1. let your parents listen to 'they' then explain the songs to them. 2. tell them how educational they are WDTSS. 3. tell em you'll be forever in thier debt. 4. plead!!!! 5. get them tickets.. family fun 'till my head falls off" 6. make them listen to 'boat of car' until they say ok! 7. and probably the best>>> ask your dad to go w/ you and tell him youll bye him dinner!! GOOD LUCK!! |---------------------------| | grefin@cyberhighway.net | |---------------------------| I built a little empire out of some crazy garbage Called the blood of the exploited working class But they've overcome their shyness Now they're calling me Your Highness And a world screams, "Kiss me, Son of God" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Floopyglop@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:15:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y: Too many formats Hi! I'll just correct my typo here and say that no one proposed that we eliminate all non-TMBG discussion, (as opposed to TMBG discusssion, which was what I incorrectly typed), just in case anyone takes my post to task for that typo. One last thing about the topic: Leo (the list administrator) himself felt compelled enough to address the issue in his recent post, so how could this discussion be too inappropriate for the list? >Apparently there must have been a $2.99 CD version w/o Unforgotten an >maybe Sensurround. I still haven't picked up the S-E-X-X-Y single. I see that TMBG (or Elektra, probably Elektra) is doing that stupid two-tiered CD single ploy. Will anyone else actually buy the cheaper, shorter version apart from the obsessive collectors and people who don't know about the full-length version? At least they released both of them at the same time, instead of putting out the cheaper version first (like R.E.M's last two singles) and fooling even more of the people. I wonder if buying the single might not be pointless, since Superfueled Freakcycle might include this material anyway. One last question: why was the single release delayed two months? Dave O'Connell York PA ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1980 12:27:41 -0800 From: kathleen faulconer <" rocket88"@ix.netcom.com> Subject: TMBG: El Ray Show and other stuff Hi All, Well, I finally have a few minutes to write about last weekend! We had such a great time at the TMBG show! The whole Folk Family survived the 2 1/2 hour drive and the 1 1/2 wait in line. I was happy to meet Larry, who was standing with us in line, and Herne, who we found inside and sat with. I wish I had talked to the girl with the fez (what was your name? we sat right next to you!)because I was going to tell her that her fez was great! After all my worries about the moshers and my kids getting squished- nobody did anything! My kids ended up about 6 feet from Flans, right up front, and had the best time in their lives! The croud was very mellow (maybe too mellow) and older than I expected (and now their even older...)! We thought the show was incredible but I read the next night was even better. I can't imagine anything better than what we saw! I wish we could have gone the next night though! My brother, Billy, came home from Humbolt U. Sunday. He was so depressed that he missed the concert by 2 days. His fiance had never heard TMBG so he told Sarah to put a record on. She put on Birdhouse, thinking that most people like it. Kori (Billys fiance) just sat there while we all sang. I said "I don't think Kori is enjoying this" and she said "Well, its kinda annoying..." My brothers face looked like this 8-o! So next we tried Istanbul and Anna Ng. She said "Those were VERY annoying and it was annoying 5 years ago when everyone used to sing them at the teen center" Billy still had the shocked face.. I said "Billy, do you wan't to rethink this marriage thing?" He said "yea, Kori do you wan't to rethink your comments?" (he he :)) Finally she found a song that she liked- Lie Still Little Bottle. She has heard it by the Humbolt Jazz musicians. Are there any of you on the list? I think my poor brother could use a TMBG friend up in Northern California. I also wanted to say that after all these years of isolation, we are sure glad to have people to "talk " to about TMBG! I had nobody to share these stories with before...well, I did share them, but nobody cared! :-) well, thats all I can think of but..... Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:50:00 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY singles At 12:22 PM 11/27/96 MST, you wrote: >I was able to get 2 copies of the SEXXY single at Blockbuster music >for $3.50 each, and they have all five songs on them. D'oh! I paid twice as much, when you add in tax. Oh well. :< >I didn't see any cassette singles. >Has anybody seen the SEXXY cassette singles? >Do they have different songs on them. The ones they had at Manifest Music were like the cheap CD singles...the 2 S-E-X-X-Y mixes and one other song...I forget which one exactly, but it's nothing that's not on the CD singles. -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:59:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Info on Rochester show-- whoo hoooo!!!! I was JUST reading the digest, when, what should the dj begin chatting about but "WBER's holiday jam with They Might Be Giants"! Is that fugging cool or WHAT!!??! December 29th, Water Street Music Hall. Tickets go on sale this Friday Nov. 30th at Record Archive, blah blah blah, ticket master locations, ticket master charge by phone, yeah, you locals know the deal. For anyone trekking up here for the concert..(any of you Totonotarians?) It IS an all ages show, thank gord! :) (716) 325-5600 is the phone # to call for more info on the concert, it's the WSMH "hotline". I called, and it's just a voice mail thing, so can anyone give me a Ticket Bastard "charge by phone" #?? I won't be around this weekend to get tickets, and I'd hate to miss out...But if you're reading this later tonight, then well, screw it cuz I'm not here. Well, It's about a good half hour since I started this message (well I've been doing other things since then), and they just played a commercial for it.. sounds like it's gonna be a really big thing.. :D WBER actually has a web site, http://wber.moroe.edu and you can listen to it live on Real Audio if you're itching for a station that's TMBG friendly, I don't know... They're really good. Ah, screw trying to win tickets for the sucky-top-40 station's "acoustic jam with special guests the Barenaked Ladies" I saw them already this year. And regarding gonk@valley.net's little story about XTC vAA, ROTFL! :) Reminds me of "Mario Speaks"-- "We'll live on love- the love we have for sophisticated head bobbing music!" ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "I'm white like Barry White, no I'm black like Frank Black is.." - Blood Thirst (a funny Beck-ish song on the radio now...) ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:53:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG:A LETTER Dear ELEKTRA, why havent you sent any they might be giants S-E-X-X-Y singles to stores near me. i live in queens ny. pissed off cause he cant get the single he's been wanting for 4 months, jordan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 13:51:32 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: SEXXY + hair + OAT >While I'm at it, I'll rattle on a little more about this song. I just looked= > at the interpretation archives and this following connection wan't= > mentioned. In the early 70's there was this very popular and totally= > prententious, bombastic song released called "MacArthur Park". I'll point out, lest we forget, that "MacArthur Park" was voted the Worst Rock Song Ever in Dave Barry's Bad Song Survey of a few years ago, beating out "Yummy Yummy Yummy (I Got Love In My Tummy)" for the title of Worst Overall Song and Worst Lyrics. >There is also Mammal. The part about "One of us might lose its hair, >but you are reminded that it once was there...". Many mammals have lost >their hair, but their is a reminder that once, way long ago, they had >hair. (Whoa, was that redundant or what?) All mammals have hair somewhere on their bodies at some point in their lives. It's one of their defining characteristics, along with bearing live young, etc. Speaking of which (tangentially, I admit), both Johns are closing in on 40 and hair-wise, both are doing great! Have they defied male pattern baldness, which should have started by now? Or are they secretly wearing (purple) toupees? >I called HMV and Tower and none of them have the remotest clue >what I'm talking about when I mention the SEXXY EP. Based on my own experience with Tower, it might be useful to tell those clowns that there are *hyphens* between the letters. Earlier this month I spent a tremendous amount of time convincing the goons behind the counter that a) yes, there IS a band called They Might Be Giants b) no, Snail Shell is NOT the single I'm looking for c) yes, it IS spelled S-E-X-X-Y I swear, you'd think that people who work in a *music store*, for chrissake, would know a bit more about a band that's been around for 12 years now and generally has sold-out shows wherever they go. On to the semi-obligatory SEXXY review (yes, I did manage to snag a copy.) SEXXY--I'm slowly growing to like this song. SenSurround-- When MMPR first came out, I humiliated myself by going down to Blockbuster Music and asking to listen to the MMPR soundtrack. I listened to SenSurround over and over for an hour straight. Ahh... nostalgia... But seriously. I'm sitting solidly on the fence on the ba-ba vs. instrumental funk bridge issue. (They're BOTH cool!) My major qualm is that the EP version's ending seems a little... well, rushed. It's still an incredible song, and so far I've converted two people with it. (Brian from down the hall came in and danced for a while, and Leslie from upstairs said that she wanted to borrow the CD.) Unforgotten-- Ehh... I'll have to give it a few more listens. We've Got A World That Swings-- Charming, sweet, and occasionally severely weird. What more could one want? (I love the synth or whatever it is.) SEXXY remix-- *gasp* *choke* *spew* Well, that's all from here... sorry about the long post. --nicole the wonder nerd has got a world that swings. p.s. In case anyone was wondering, all the trades I offered in my last post are on cd's, and therefore you'll get dubs of cd's. I can also offer the Demo Tape and One More Parade, but they'll be dubs of dubs. *** "Circumstances eat themselves. The present tense has been." --Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: KLESLI@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:13:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I need Columbus show info, please. HI Does anyone know anything about the Columbus show on Dec3? All I know is that it's at The Rave (right?) I need to know how to get tickets, when, how much tickets are, how to get there etc. If anyone can let me know I would appreciate it! Also know of any parties before? Thank you people! Lesli ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:17:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Web Site Midis I have a nice collection of midis at my web site including a bunch of TMBGs, but it requires Netscape 3.0 to work. So if you have NN3, go to: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel/midis.htm or my homepage at: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel (viewable with any browser) just copy and paste my URL into Netscape, etc... ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~| ~|~|~|~|~| Joel "I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:54:10 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Time Signature I was listening to Misc T and noticed that When it Rains it Snows seems to be in 3/4 time. I was wondering if this is the only TMBG song in 3/4? Does anybody know another? Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:58:56 -0500 (EST) From: Thomas Murphy Subject: TMBG: Hello problems? All those who are waiting for the Hello discs, e-mail Marjorie and John at hellocd@aol.com. I'm not sure if the address is stil valid but I have recd replies from them at this e-mail address. Sort of shoots the "Can i write to J&J via the internet...NO" on the FAQ doesnt it? *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 19:17:52 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello problems? At 06:58 PM 11/27/96 -0500, you wrote: >Sort of shoots the "Can i write to J&J via the internet...NO" on the FAQ >doesnt it? No, not really. You can't write to J&J via the Internet...you *can* write to J via the Internet, though. :> -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:35:16 -0800 Subject: TMBG: New Wave X-mas I was at the Virgin Megastore in Sacramento the other day and I saw a Christmas compilation entitled "New Wave Christmas." Included on the CD were "Santa's Beard" by They Might Be Giants and a song called "Careless Santa" by Mono Puff. Anyone heard of this Mono Puff song? I thought it was fairly cool to have the both of them on the compilation (even though Santa's Beard is my LEAST favorite TMBG song). Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Time Signature Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:42:37 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Josh: >I was listening to Misc T and noticed that When it Rains it Snows seems >to be in 3/4 time. I was wondering if this is the only TMBG song in 3/4? "The Day", "Where Your Eyes Don't Go", "Dead", "Who's That Standing Out My Window", "I'll Sink Manhattan", "Hello Radio", "Stormy Pinkness", "I Blame You" are in 3/4ish or 6/8ish meters. I may have missed a couple. "Letterbox", "Turn Around", "Subliminal", and "Ondine" have a 3 feel; I think they're in 12/8ish most of the time, or are 4/4ish with a swing feel ("virtual triplets"). ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello problems? Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:44:41 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Thomas Murphy: >All those who are waiting for the Hello discs, e-mail Marjorie and John >at hellocd@aol.com. I'm not sure if the address is stil valid but I have >recd replies from them at this e-mail address. > >Sort of shoots the "Can i write to J&J via the internet...NO" on the FAQ >doesnt it? Perhaps we should rephrase that to "Can I write to either John about TMBG-related stuff and expect an answer? NO. Can I write to JF about Hello stuff? PROBABLY." -CB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 19:56:57 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas At 04:35 AM 11/28/96 -0800, Matt in Sacramento wrote: >Anyone heard of this Mono Puff song? Yup. It's one of the better songs on 'Mono Puff: Unsupervised'. -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 20:12 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: heh.. > >They Might be Muppets?? That would make the most excellent video of all >time!!! It has to be done!! Actually, now that I think about it, couldn't you see the Johns as muppets? Hee hee... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:10:45 -0500 From: Brian Evans Subject: Re: TMBG: I need Columbus show info, please. At 06:13 PM 11/27/96 -0500, KLESLI@aol.com wrote: >HI >Does anyone know anything about the Columbus show on Dec3? All I know is that >it's at The Rave (right?) I need to know how to get tickets, when, how much >tickets are, how to get there etc. If anyone can let me know I would >appreciate it! Also know of any parties before? Actually the show is at the Newport, right near my beloved school, Ohio State. If anyone needs directions to the Newport just email me and tell where you're coming from and I'll give you directions. You can get the tickets at ticketmaster or at Singing Dog records a block away from the show if not. The tickets are around $14 or $15 apiece. 0000,0000,8080Brian Evans bevans@infinet.com ffff,0000,0000"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful" "Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful" - Don't Let's Start -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:17:54 -0500 From: Brian Evans Subject: Re: TMBG: Where is this place? At 06:18 PM 11/26/96 EST, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: >> >>12/13/96 Granville, OH - Denison University >> >>this was posted as one of the dates for the THEY tour... >>I would like to know if anyone plans on attending it and where it is located... > > So, um, how close is that to Michigan? I'm getting a little >desperate... > Actually Granville is between Columbus and Newark in the center of the state. I actually find it hard to believe that They are coming back to central Ohio only 10 days after the Columbus show on the 3rd, but hey that's good for me, two shows in a month within 30 minutes of me is too good to be true! I'm in heaven! 0000,0000,8080Brian Evans bevans@infinet.com ffff,0000,0000"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful" "Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful" - Don't Let's Start -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 23:19:13 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Time Signature Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 27-Nov-96 TMBG: Time Signature by Josh@fyi.net > I was listening to Misc T and noticed that When it Rains it Snows seems > to be in 3/4 time. I was wondering if this is the only TMBG song in 3/4? It is indeed in 3/4 time. The only other TMBG song in 3/4 that has been released was Space Suit. There are also, as far as I can tell, only 3 TMBG songs in 6/8 time: I'll Sink Manhattan, Where Your Eyes Don't Go and Dead. All the rest of their songs are in something/4 or something/2 (I think Stomp Box is in 2/2 - but that's hard to tell apart from 4/4 by listening... except for the counting at the beginning, which would indicate 2/2) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 23:28:25 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Time Signature Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 27-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: Time Signature by Chris Bongaarts@umn.edu > "The Day", "Where Your Eyes Don't Go", "Dead", "Who's That Standing > Out My Window", "I'll Sink Manhattan", "Hello Radio", "Stormy > Pinkness", "I Blame You" are in 3/4ish or 6/8ish meters. I may have > missed a couple. 3/4 and 6/8 are very distinct from each other. 3/4 is *1* 2 3, etc. and 6/8 is *1* 2 3 4 5 6, not *1* 2 3 *4* 5 6. I think They Day is 6/8 - when they played the first album all the way through, they included drums in it and the rhythm indicated 6/8. "Who's that..." doesn't really count because it could be played with any rhythm... > "Letterbox", "Turn Around", "Subliminal", and "Ondine" have a 3 feel; > I think they're in 12/8ish most of the time, or are 4/4ish with a > swing feel ("virtual triplets"). Turn Around is 4/4. No doubt about it. Listen to the bass... it goes up 4 then down 4... very distinctive. (in some parts it playes a whole major scale - 4 and 4) Subliminal seems weird because of the accordion part... it's definitely 4/4, though: .75 .25 .25 1.5 .25 .25 .75 is one measure, I believe. I'll have to look at the MIDI file agin - whoever sequenced it did a good job on the rhythm, although simulating that accordion part in MIDI isn't easy, and can never be made as smooth as it is with a real accordion... (there's a reason Subliminal is my favorite song to play :) Letterbox has an unusual rhythm, but I think it's in 4/4. Just broken up funny I'm surprised No One Knows My Plan didn't show up in there... it's got a very strange rhythm. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 22:29:53 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: HELP!!! .o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o. wrote: > > ok.. here ya go.. > > 1. let your parents listen to 'they' then explain the songs to them. Tried it - my dad thought they were dumb, my mom was indifferent > 2. tell them how educational they are WDTSS. Not gonna happen. > 3. tell em you'll be forever in thier debt. Did that. > 4. plead!!!! Doing that. > 5. get them tickets.. family fun 'till my head falls off" Parents at the concert... kinda lame. > 6. make them listen to 'boat of car' until they say ok! Don't have it > 7. and probably the best>>> ask your dad to go w/ you and tell him youll > bye him dinner!! hmmm... tried to get him to let me go cuz I could pick up some luminary candles he needs from Milwaukee, didn't work. > > GOOD LUCK!! Thanks, and for any who care, a status report. My mom will let me go if my dad will, but that'll be tough. he is SO paranoid about traffic and it is the weekend after thanksgiving. I'm going to se him tomorrow (he's up deer hunting) and do some major schmoozing. Also if I do come, I'll be bringing a friend. :) -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:40:52 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: TMBG- Factory Showroom Length All of Thier previous CD's had nearly 20 tracks on them (with the exception of Apollo 18) so why does FS have only 13? I think I liked multiple shorter tracks better. Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire ^ ^ | | | | | | ------------That's not butter! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-326 ******************************