Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-327 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 327 Friday, 29 November 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y: Too many formats TMBG: TMBG in UK and HELP! TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Re: TMBG: TMBG in UK and HELP! TMBG: Re: tmbg on jjj...well linnell to be precise Re: TMBG: Time Signature TMBG: Hello Problems and List Re: TMBG: Hello problems? Re: TMBG: List clutter Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas Re: TMBG: heh.. TMBG: factory clearance! TMBG: KC Concert TMBG: Kansas City Kansas Show, 11/27/96 TMBG: Hidden Tracks TMBG: Secret agent SPY... TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse me, hey!" RE: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse me, hey!" TMBG: Turkey For Me and Turkey for You Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas TMBG: I could be correct Re: TMBG: Hello problems? Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 22:29:06 -1000 From: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y: Too many formats [snip] >>Apparently there must have been a $2.99 CD version w/o Unforgotten an >>maybe Sensurround. At Tower Records over here there was a $2.99 CD single with both "S~E~X~X~Y" versions and "We've got a World that Swings". The $4.99 CD single also had "SenSurround" and "Unforgotten". Physically, the cheaper single had red-pink sides while the more expesive one had sides of white plastic. >I still haven't picked up the S-E-X-X-Y single. I see that TMBG (or Elektra, >probably Elektra) is doing that stupid two-tiered CD single ploy. Will anyone >else actually buy the cheaper, shorter version apart from the obsessive >collectors and people who don't know about the full-length version? If you just like "S~E~X~X~Y", why not? Saves you two dollars and two songs you won't like. For the more open minded buyer, there's the more expensive version. >At least >they released both of them at the same time, instead of putting out the >cheaper version first (like R.E.M's last two singles) and fooling even more >of the people. I wonder if buying the single might not be pointless, since >Superfueled Freakcycle might include this material anyway. Most things get re-released with time at a lower price. The question is, do you want to wait that long when you could get the songs now for $5. -- kirill - - - - - - - Storage temperature: -30 C (-22 F) to 40 C (104 F). http://www.lava.net/~kirill http://www.lava.net/~kirill/marathon ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 12:34:53 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: TMBG in UK and HELP! >On a happier note, rumour from a nice fan who works at HMV in >Kingston (London) said they would be over here at the end of March. >Which is nice. That's not good. I've got to go to a conference in March and I just bet it'll clash. Aaaargh! By the way, I got the new album on import the other day - I thought it was a lot better than some people are making out. The strings are a lot less involved than I thought they would be - on both SEXXY and XTC they only appear now and again, and don't really carry the tune much - it's more of an arrangement with strings included. What's the problem? And how do They pick their singles? Snail Shell was a really unlively tune, as is SEXXY. I'm not saying they're bad (although there are several songs I prefer on both albums), but surely they should be picking the most catchy song on the album - those are the sort of ones that do well in the charts. So why not The Bells Are Ringing? I think it's great and I can never stop humming the tune for about an hour after I've heard it. Whyohwhyohwhy? Plus, i can't find the 'hidden track'. It might just be my CD player. It's got one button that doubles as both 'Track Select' (like moving forwards and backwards one track or more) and rewind/ffwd if you hold it down. But I've tried holding it down to rewind at the start of SEXXY and it doesn't work. It'll rewind to the start of track 1 but no further. Am I doing something wrong? Help! Mark P.S. My Mum went to the Roehampton Institute (when it was still a teacher training college) and I come from Hampton (nearby). Cool. __________________________________________________________________________ Look I've found out how to get a signature at the end. And I've even got a pretentious quote to include: "The greater is the beauty, The profounder is the stain, Humanity, Significant of the forbidden is transgressed in eroticism" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 09:11:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y When I got my single they had (CDs) one w/ S~E~X~X~Y, Sensurround, Unforgotten, WGAWTS, and the remix. They also had one w/ 2 S~E~X~X~Ys and Sensurround I haven't seen one w/ 2 S~E~X~X~Ys and Unforgotten.... odd... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot ---> http://spot.home.ml.org The Happy ASCII Squirrel (5,000 ft) ---> . ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:38:19 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in UK and HELP! At 12:34 PM 11/28/96 +0000, you wrote: > >And how do They pick their singles? Snail Shell was a really unlively tune, >as is SEXXY. I'm not saying they're bad (although there are several songs I >prefer on both albums), but surely they should be picking the most catchy >song on the album - those are the sort of ones that do well in the charts. >So why not The Bells Are Ringing? I think it's great and I can never stop >humming the tune for about an hour after I've heard it. Whyohwhyohwhy? I think they try and release the singles that'll be most popular...not necessarily the best songs on the album. Remember, TMBG fans are a rare breed...we have much better taste most of the music-listening public. :> >Plus, i can't find the 'hidden track'. It might just be my CD player. It's Yeah, there are tons of CD players that won't work with it. I tried 7 CD players before I found one that would actually play Token Back To Brooklyn. :< TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: 28 Nov 1996 16:00:49 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg on jjj...well linnell to be precise "security, if max walker comes within five feet of this fucking door, shoot him okay" "right you are, mr benaud" yublocka wrote in article <199611261448.BAA19930@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au>... > lo again, nice to join you in the kitchen for the second time today..... > > Just thought i'd let anyone know that cares that the John Linnell interview > on JJJ was played this afternoon. Shit, I missed it too. I always listen to the J's, but on Wednesday I (for the first time mind you) took some of my TMBG cd's to work and listened to them (d'oh). > Luckily my wonderful younger brother taped it (I gravel at his feet). I could kiss him > he did miss the start, I thought I'd post the section that was taped. So > continue reading only if you so desire.... I have faxed and phoned the station to get them to repeat it on Sunday arvo in "1996". I hope they do. > And another thing....I have no idea who the interviewer is....sounds like > Micheal Tunn kinda, but I don't think it is. Has a grating laugh though. It is Richrd Kingsmill, and please show him more respect. He has played half a dozen TMBG songs for me, and might be doing a TMBG J-file in the near future. He is a top bloke. BTW, I have a tape, in its entirety, of the JJJ interview They did when last in Oz, in its entirety. Cheers -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 11:36:14 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: Re: TMBG: Time Signature On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Josh wrote: > I was listening to Misc T and noticed that When it Rains it Snows seems > to be in 3/4 time. I was wondering if this is the only TMBG song in 3/4? > I'm pretty sure it is. I remember flans saying once that he had tried to to every possible kind of song he could, or something like that. I guess When it Rains it Snows is his "song in 3/4 time." J, the Mysterious (Jamal Rogers) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 11:41:21 -0600 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: Hello Problems and List Hi, I've been in the Hello CD of the month club since it started back in 1993, and sometimes it takes a while but usually we get what we're supposed to get even if it's all at once, I don't think they would rip us off, you know how it is we seem to have to have a lot of patience. Also I don't care if the list is moderated, unmoderated, whatever, just as long as we have one, it's so cool to have info from other fans when you feel like you're the only TMBG fan on the planet it's so nice to know I'm not. Think of me at 3:30 tomorrow morning when I get on the bus from Milwaukee to Minneapolis to catch the Friday night TMBG show and then Friday night when I get on the bus from Minneapolis to come home and catch the Saturday show. Take care and have a nice Thanksgiving! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 14:08:01 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello problems? On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Thomas Murphy wrote: > All those who are waiting for the Hello discs, e-mail Marjorie and John > at hellocd@aol.com. I'm not sure if the address is stil valid but I have > recd replies from them at this e-mail address. because it's the wrong address :) Try helloclub@aol.com. That one works, and Flansburgh has posted to a.m.tmbg and Spin message boards with it. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Q: If you could be any animal, what would you be? John Sidney Linnell's A: A delicious Steak Dinner. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 13:59:49 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: List clutter > Yes! Let's all get Edison Wax Cylindar players! We shall proclaim > ourselves old fashioned like the Puritans! That means we have to wear > belt buckles on our hats. Question: CAn we wear buckles on our pants, too? Or do we have to waddle around with our pants around our ankles? No wonder the puritans all died out, none of them could run quick enough to escape anything.. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 14:15:57 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas > Yup. It's one of the better songs on 'Mono Puff: Unsupervised'. Speaking of Mono Puff.. what is the name of their second album? or have they come out with one? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 14:17:55 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: heh.. > Actually, now that I think about it, couldn't you see the Johns as > muppets? Hee hee... I thought this was a great idea, so I spent the next 25 minutes searching for the muppet's homepage. And I couldn't find it! Does anyone know where it is, or if they don't have one, who to contact to suggest this most wonderful idea? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 15:18:41 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: TMBG: factory clearance! This message is just to see how much interest there is for what i may possibly be doing. I am thinking about parting with my autographed copy of FS. I would be much happier giving to a true fan than a professional collector. BTW, it is in perfect condition, and has never been played. As for a trade, I am interested in the following: Live in NYC The Guitar ep '86 demo tape PODAS if you would like to make an offer, please e-mail me privately thanx, for your time, J, the Mysterious -who can't wait to see Them in Red Bank on New Year's ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 15:30:58 -0600 (CST) From: Brandon Callison Subject: TMBG: KC Concert Ok, I don't think anyone else is going to report it so I will... It took about 3 hours to get there from Shawnee, KS. Well, it should've taken 15 mins but we kinda got lost. But once we got there, it was right when Cub was about to start their first song. I didn't like them much, but it was tolerable. And better than other concerts I've seen (thinking of Everclear). So after an awful long time, Lady is a Tramp started playing and then they came out and rocked out world. I'm not going to post a setlist because it's just like the last concerts have been. But one thing worth mentioning: They did J. K. Polk: WITH THE LA-LA's! That was amazing. It's the first time I heard it. Well, it wasn't that amazing, but going on... The place wasn't too packed. The balcony wasn't even open and the seats still weren't filled. I saw a lot of people I knew there who I didn't know were going. So everyone was pretty close to the Johns. I'm glad I went. Greets to all those from St. Louis who could go, too. And greets to those who wish they could've but couldn't afford it. Brandon! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 15:37:03 -0600 (CST) From: "Patrick N. Foster" Subject: TMBG: Kansas City Kansas Show, 11/27/96 Anyone else go? Nick? What did you think? i'd been to 8 shows before, inc. two this year, one pre-FS and one during Hootie. Haven't ever seen them without the horns, though. in a way the show was only OK--i hoped that out of Twisting, Sleeping in the Flowers, Spy, and AKA Driver, they could have skipped at least one and done a fun old song Maby and Schemerhorn (sp?) might have rehearsed, like Turn Around, Shoehorn, Purple, Angel. Also, there were more than the usual number of on-stage mix-ups...forgetting the words in Maybe I Know and AKA Driver, for example; a botched attempt at an alternate rhythm ending in Ana Ng, nobody except Linnell sure how many volleyballs to do in Metal Detector, and they still have trouble getting back in the groove in WDTSS after two of the Linnell spoken parts! To be fair, the mix-ups were minor and didn't seem to faze anyone: "We can fly like birds in the little hand on E..." on the other hand, it was one of the best shows i've seen. they had the crowd 100% in their giant palm. the Spy interaction went very well, and the conga line was as successful as any i'd seen. Exquisite was awesome (hadn't ever seen it before). i even warmed up to Schemerhorn, who along with Maby and Doherty were right on. Also, Maybe I Know, Your Own Worst Enemy, Older, Stayin' Alive, and TMBG Got Lost were all greatly improved since i first saw them do them over the summer. They actually learned how to play Stayin' Alive! XTC was an improvement over the recorded version. what did they play? basically the same set list you've seen. they opened with Spider. They played all of FS except Spiraling and the last two, a standard John Henry selection (AKA, Plan, Sleeping) plus Spy and the sun song, Dig my Grave with that slower beginning, the Guitar, Particle, Instanbul, Birdhouse, Twisting, Ana Ng, and Don't Let's Start, plus Older, Maybe I Know, Lost, Stayin' Alive. I think there were 29 in all (10 from FS)...guess i forgot one, probably from A18 or JH. overall, a very good show./pf Patrick N. Foster ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 16:40:45 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: Hidden Tracks I was reading throught the letters on this list, and Mark Iles was talking about a hidden track on Factory Showroom. How do you get to it? Are there any hidden tracks on the other cd's? Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire ^ ^ | | | | | | | | --------------That's not butter! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 18:50:27 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Secret agent SPY... >I recently took a close look at the back of my TMBG World Tour 2040 shirt. Due to the large number of venues based on current bands (No Doubt, Ace of Base, etc.) on the back of this shirt, someone I knew came up with this theory that *all* the venues were like this. I was unable to convince him that Toad's Place, the Electric Factory (errr, banana), and the Mercury Lounge were all real places. >I'm looking forward to hearing "Reprehensible." This is the song with the big-band feel, clarinet solo, and lyrics like "Ten thousand years of unerasable acts and permanent facts, and only I know...who's responsible..." >BTW, I think the Factory Showroom album cover is really ugly. No way, dude! I love it. Why? It's just the way all the different "levels" superimpose on each other to create an aesthetically appealing whole. You've got the inside of the store, the "Factory Showroom" sign, the glass window with "They Might Be Giants" on it, and the reflection from across the street. I think it's just really cool. Josh, fighting for his place in rock and roll... :) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 18:52:20 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse me, hey!" >Please. I am for moderation in many things >in life but NOT in lists. Herne, I'm just curious if you're aware that Chalkhills is indeed moderated. Not agressively, but moderated nonetheless. >1. To all the people who are in favor of a moderated list, isn't what your >saying sorta hypocritical? Your asking for a list that will cut all the >non-tmbg messages, and yet writing them in the process? I stated my desire to moderate the list in a big message that contained mostly TMBG content. Almost nothing like this one. :) >It is just like if I were in a group and my partner's name was Joel, I >wouldn't fell awkward calling him by that. The problem comes up when someone else is talking to another someone else in front of one of you. One of my friends is really close friends with another Josh...so whenever he begins one of his anecdotes with, "Me and Josh were..." I automatically interject "The other Josh, not me." It's become a reflex now. :) >A CD5 is a CD that is only 5 inches in diameter. An EP is the normal >width. You may have noticed an indent on the trays of some CD players. >This smaller circle is where you can place a CD5. (I almost got one of >Don't Let's Start this spring, but I ran out of cash) Ummmm, normal CDs *are* 5 inches. For everyone out there who's confused on these things, here's a rundown on these terms: (I'm sure someone who already knows all this will complain, but because of all the confusion on this subject I've seen here recently, I thought a little guide would be well in order.) CD-5: A CD which is 5 inches in diameter. All albums and the majority of modern CD singles are in this format. CD-3: A CD which is 3 inches in diameter. Early attempts at CD singles used this format, but the CD-5 was found to make a lot more sense, and you very rarely see new CD-3s anymore. EP: Originally a record of "medium" length (approx. 20 min., 10 per side). Generally, an EP would contain 4-6 songs. Now used to refer to any record/CD of a length of approximately 20 min./4-6 songs. Often used to refer to "Maxi-Singles." LP: Originally a "full length" record (approx. 40 min., 20 per side). Now occasionally used to refer to any full-length album, no matter what format it's on. Album: Sometimes used to refer to an LP *record* (and only a record) containing a particular selection of songs. Now used to refer to the particular collection of songs which go under a common title, no matter what format they're on. For example, Factory Showroom is TMBG's sixth *album*, whether you buy it on LP or CD. Maxi-Single: A CD single which contains a large number of tracks, usually 4-5 but occasionally as many as seven. This is opposed to just a regular CD single, which usually only has the title track and a single B-side. All of TMBG's CD singles are Maxi-singles. *Whew!* There you go. >Tonight, upon commenting on the Norwegian press's interpretation of their >"punk rock for sissies" credo, they used terminology that was derogatory to >the gay community and highly offensive. What, exactly, is this "terminology"? There are certain things which sensitive people take too harshly. But, I agree, if they used the word "faggot" or anything remotely similar, then FUCK THEM. >Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? Or, better yet, what are the three most commonly spoken languages in Istanbul? >WEA for *the world outside of the United >States*. Apparently there are 2 worlds on this one planet. hehehehe Sorry to be Mr. Anal-Retentive Grammar Man, but that construction is perfectly valid. It does not refer to a complete world outside the US, but to that portion of the world which is beyond the US. >But isn't Istanbul part of Turkey which is in Asia? *sigh*... Josh, how'm I supposed to let you know the way I feel about you? /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants, "On The Drag" | \-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse me, hey!" Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:32:55 +1100 >>WEA for *the world outside of the United >>States*. Apparently there are 2 worlds on this one planet. hehehehe > >>Sorry to be Mr. Anal-Retentive Grammar Man, but that construction is >>perfectly valid. It does not refer to a complete world outside the US, but >>to that portion of the world which is beyond the US. > >Though you must wonder if some people realise that it really exists! > >Cheers and Beers > >10000ft Septic > >PS Greek, Turkish and Arabic? > ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 21:35:54 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Turkey For Me and Turkey for You When people told me to have a good thanksgiving, I figured "yeah ok, sure, eat too much turkey, hope the lions and skins win and sleep till monday" Well when I got to my grandmother's house (in Lincoln, yes) she informed me that they were in San Francisco. errrrrrr Well, at some point my cousin and uncle went to Alan Sutherland's (of Land of the Loops) house. I had never heard them so I decided not to go. When I came back i found that he had given them posters and signed a cd for them. I listened to the CD and found tyhat it was really goood. Poop. For anyone who hasn't heard of them, (Land of the Loops) they are quite good. I suggest that people should but their CD. Later on, me and my dad were getting bored. We decided to try to find Flansies house. When we did, we saw that it was a modern, 1 story white window filled house. It had two cool crescant statues out front. It didn't have a driveway.... I WAS IN HEAVAN I was going to knock on the door, but they were eating dinner so I decided against it. Oh well, I guess I'll wait till christmas. QQuestions I was going to ask him 1. How did you clear out CVentral park for the TNAC video? 2. Can ANYONE see the Rabid Child video? There were more but I forgot. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 20:48:15 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, > The problem comes up when someone else is talking to another someone else in > front of one of you. One of my friends is really close friends with another > Josh...so whenever he begins one of his anecdotes with, "Me and Josh > were..." I automatically interject "The other Josh, not me." It's become a > reflex now. :) I know, I'm not at all in this conversation, but I just felt I had to interject by saying that half of my guy friends are named Matt and it gets really confusing. =) Especially since two of the Matts- Matt Jones and Matt Allen, are best friends. But, I just thought I'd like to add my 2 cents worth. =) > What, exactly, is this "terminology"? There are certain things which > sensitive people take too harshly. But, I agree, if they used the word > "faggot" or anything remotely similar, then FUCK THEM. Hrm... I agree entirely with all of the above. You also, unfortunately, have to consider where you are and who's saying it. A very openly gay friend of mine refers to all homosexuals as the "f" word listed above, also, I hate to say it, but it is true that you are more likely to hear people use that terminology all the time in the South without thinking about it. I, even though I'm heterosexual, always make a point to tell people not to say that, but a lot of times it's all too common. Common, that is, among the common, and not those of high breeding. > >Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? > > Or, better yet, what are the three most commonly spoken languages in Istanbul? Technically, Asia. =) The official language of Turkey is Turkish. =) However, I think Constantinople is a much kewler name than Istanbul. =) > >But isn't Istanbul part of Turkey which is in Asia? > > *sigh*... Not really a part, just a city. A very important city because it is right by the ONLY seaway between the Black Sea and the Miditerranean Sea, and hence has always been an important port. =) > > > Josh, how'm I supposed to let you know the way I feel about you? This makes no sense.. I'm lost. =) Smiles, Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 21:59:55 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-Nov-96 Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas by David Simpson@psd.k12.co > Speaking of Mono Puff.. what is the name of their second album? or have > they come out with one? as far as I know they only have Unsupervised. And the weird thing is, BMG Music Service is promoting the hell out of it. For the second month in a row it's appeared in one of those special boxes in the catalog, this time with a large picture of Flans playing his guitar while driving... and it also has the listing for all three TMBG albums they carry. (no FS yet -I'm guessing it'll show up in a month or two) But it seems that both TMBG and Mono Puff could get some more business from this... it's kind of funny, though, when you think about it.... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:35:20 PST Subject: TMBG: I could be correct From: hallie.p@juno.com (Hallie B Pritts) After listening to SEXXY I had a nagging feeling that I had heard the string stuff somewhere before. So, I bashed the idea around my head for a while and came up with an album from somewhere around 1968 by Donovan. Cosmic Wheels. It's an altogether odd, yet really, terribly great album that uses a lot of strings and somewhat peculiar lyrics. The first song has a string part that is uncannily like SEXXY. Or I could be wrong. Maybe I just bashed too hard. ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:48:00 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello problems? >because it's the wrong address :) Try helloclub@aol.com. That one works, >and Flansburgh has posted to a.m.tmbg and Spin message boards with it. If you have problems with "helloclub@aol.com" try "hello_club@aol.com". AOL can be kind of cranky about those little spaces sometimes... And, also, let's keep in mind that though Flansburgh has used that account in the past, that is _not_ his e-mail address and he does _not_ read the mail that is sent to it. It was created so that people who are having problems with their Hello Club membership can get help through e-mail, not for fan mail. Please, let's not flood it with e-mail directed to Flansburgh. It will not only be a waste of your time, but it will also be a waste of time for the very nice person who will have to wade through it. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 01:40:00 EST On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 18:52:20 -0500 (EST) Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: >Maxi-Single: A CD single which contains a large number of tracks, usually >4-5 but occasionally as many as seven. This is opposed to just a regular CD >single, which usually only has the title track and a single B-side. >All of TMBG's CD singles are Maxi-singles. Actually, the term Maxi-single refers to a certain (trademarked or copyrighted, I believe) CD case in which the singles are encased... Back to Skull is a Maxi-single, WDTSS is not, although it is more of an EP anyway as it is not released from an album or anything... I don't have any other TMBG singles, so I couldn't tell you... Filter's single "Hey Man, Nice Shot" was encased in a Maxi-single case, but I won't admit to owning it... Another note... there has been a large amount of promotion for Mono Puff in Columbia House too... In the previous issue to the one I have now, Mono Puff was linked to Soul Coughing (in these great big special boxes) though they didn't actually tell you the connection (even if we know it)... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-327 ******************************