Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-329 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 329 Sunday, 1 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: cincy, columbus, and cleveland... oh my... "houston we have a problem" TMBG: More Fun TMBG Experiences! Re: TMBG: "You're Weird" Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, Istanbul! Re: TMBG: More Fun TMBG Experiences! TMBG: REVIEW: St. Paul MN concert TMBG: tmbg:A TMBG BARMITZVA! TMBG: signed fs cd Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 08:56:15 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: cincy, columbus, and cleveland... oh my... "houston we have a problem" i had planned on being at all 3 of these shows... that's not looking possible now... cincy definately going to be there... columbus is still looking good... cleveland is a no go... i'll be wearing my green t-shirt with the name green jello football style across the back. say hi!!! please! -- Green Jello "Hey there Miss Creation, we all need a celebration!" - "Hard to make a stand" Sheryl Crow http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 10:53:41 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: More Fun TMBG Experiences! As some of you may recall, Hootie and TMBG were in my good ol' hometown of Lansing, MI, a few weeks back. I didn't get to go to the big show at the Breslin, but I did go to the WhereHouse free show (ultra! Six feet from JF, who almost pushed a speaker on my head! I felt special!). Okay, so in my chem class the following Monday, my friend Stacy was wearing her Hootie World Tour shirt, and I asked her if she'd seen Them, also. A transcript of our conversation follows: Stacy: Yeah. They sucked. Are they even a band? Me: Yes... in fact, they've been together for 12 years, I think. Were they selling T-shirts? Stacy: Yeah. Me: I wish I'd known you were going, I would have given you some money to buy me one. Stacy: You'd have spent $20 on a *They Might Be Giants* T-shirt??? Me: Well, yeah, actually I would... Stacy: Later that day, at rehaersal for our fall musical, my friend Andy says, "Let's all sing Ana Ng!" So we bust out with "Make a hole with the gun perpendicular..." and what does friend Joe say? Of course! "What's that?" "They Might Be Giants!!!" "they suck." sigh... How sad that so many people haven't yet seen the insanity and accordion that is Them. *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza Nicolaou \ "We apologise for the inconvenience." enicolao@scnc.waverly.k12.mi.us / *-- ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 10:47:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: "You're Weird" You are weird. =) JUst playing!! =) Cthulhu and a side order of fries, Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 10:50:18 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, Istanbul! > Constantinople was Byzantium, now it's Constantinople not Byzantium... Constantinople STILL sounds better than any other name for it! =) When i make my influence known in the world, I will either create my own Constantinople or rally at Turkish officials for the name to be changed back. =) Constantinople forever1!! Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 11:17:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: More Fun TMBG Experiences! I had a TMBG experience similiar to that. I paid a LOT for 4 Hootie and the Blowfish/TMBG tickets. My whole purpose was to see TMBG. (This was their Memphis, TN) show. I was 9 ROWS BACK... So close it was incredible. (I had better, I stood in line for 3 1/2 hours for those darn tickets) Anyway, I was with my two younger brothers and my boyfriend at the time. While both my little brothers are HUGE TMBG fans just like I am, my boyfriend had never heard them before. I was surrounded by Hootie fans... It was a nightmare. I wanted to get up and start dancing, but at the same time I didn't want to embarass everyone I was with.. So I screamed, hollered, bounced around frantically in my seat, my eyes glued to the stage. I mouthed all the words to all their songs, and screamed after every one, and usually before. I held my hands over my head and bounced up and down in my seat and moved my arms to the music. I chanted, TMBG!! and ENCORE! when they left the stage. I was loud, obnoxious, and TMBG-loving! =) After TMBG was done, I heard a bunch of people laughing. The people 3 rows back decided to make fun of me. I turned around and gave them a look that would have struck fear into Attila the Hun and turned back around. I didn't hear a peep from them all night. We ended up staying for Hootie and the people next to us enjoyed my enthusiasm so much that they gave my boyfriend free beer. Go figure. My boyfriend bought me a TMBG shirt and drove us home. I asked him what he thought of the concert. He said, "I loved the concert, but both of the bands sucked." "Didn't you love the puppet heads, though? They played my favorite songs (Don't Let's Start and Birdhouse in Your Soul) back-to-back!!" "I thought the heads were stupid. Wasn't every song your favorite song?" I sighed and leaned back in my seat. Some people just don't understand. But I helped convert my best friend to the wonders of TMBG... so I'm satisfied. Needless to say, that boyfriend and I broke up- you know it's not meant to be if he doesn't like TMBG. =) Smile! Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: REVIEW: St. Paul MN concert Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 17:13:37 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts Acutally, I must first mention the afternoon in-store at Let It Be Records in downtown Minneapolis. We got there right about 4pm, so were back quite a way from the stage area. (A friend of mine went there at 2:30 and got right up front and got a setlist. I will try to post the songs from it sometime.) I couldn't see the right side of the stage due to pillars blocking my view, but I don't think Eric was there. It was nice to hear some of Their recent stuff played on guitar/accordian. The moral of the concert at O'Shaugnessy Auditorium ("Stadium" or "Colisseum" according to the Johns at the earlier show) was "You get what you pay for". They don't get the guest list till the day of the show, and so my ticket was up in the 10th balconey row or so, where I watched cub perform. The lead singer/bassist's voice reminded me of the woman from L7. The first two songs didn't seem too interesting to me, but the third was a bit slower and expressive than the first two, and overall I thought they were not bad. cub liked to talk to the audience a lot, and at one point someone in the audience shouted for them to play NYC. The singer went into the "we have an agreement with TMBG not to play that song" routine you've been hearing at other concerts, saying how if they played it "They Might Be GIants will break our legs". However, Flansburgh was tuning his guitars off stage right (I had a good view of him, being high up in the balcony on the right side of the auditorium), and said something to the singer, who then said "OK, TMBG say we can play the song for you. If we end up in the paper with our legs broken, you'll know it was They Might Be Giants who did it." And they proceeded to PLAY NEW YORK CITY! It sounded like - well, it sounded like cub playing "New York City". Needless to say the crowd went wild afterwards. The crowd was polite (as is normal for Minnesotans) and seem to enjoy the band. The intermission lasted about half an hour, during which time I went down to visit friends on the main floor. As it turned out, there were 6 seats open behind one of my friends, so I hung out there during Their set, which was good since I had plenty of bouncing room. They entered to "Lady is a Tramp" (a sinatra(?) version of it was played after the show), and opened with "Spider". John L. said "I feel as if there is a great gulf between us," and motioned to the orchestra pit area, which was empty save for a few burly and not-so-burly security folks. "But," he continued, "We are going to overcome this gulf." There were no real surprises in the setlist. The puppets for "Exquisite Dead Guy" were cute (once again they used the extend XTCvAA ending to cover the puppet setup) Everyone in the band seemed to be having a good time. Graham sung backup on a few Linnell songs. JKP was done with the "La's". Eric disappeared for several songs not long into the set. During "How Can I Sing Like a Girl", John F. directed the audience to cheer for Eric during each of his three solos. My friend Amie and I waved the big autographed Freak Flag at the appropriate moments during the song. The audience went nuts on the two occasions when Linnell broke out the accordian. No sax this time, though. Odd side note - Flans seemed to be doing Linnell's "Make everyone in the audience think he's staring at you" thing to me. I don't know if he recognized me from the recording sessions a few weeks ago, or if it was just cause I was a hyper guy with a lot of empty seats to either side right at about his eye level :) One friend of mine said he like the John Henry tour show (11/11/94) better due to the lack of horns in this show (although there were two trombones sitting on a Marshall stack that were never used in the show.) Afterwards I went to get a cub t-shirt (Flans had begged us to buy cub stuff) The guitarist was selling stuff. While I was getting my shirt, the drummer for cub came up and mentioned that she couldn't find the posters. It was nice to be able to see them up close, since it's hard to see from high up in the balcony. All in all, an exciting day. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 19:22:47 -0500 Subject: TMBG: tmbg:A TMBG BARMITZVA! i went to a barmitzva today,and me and my other tmbg obsessed friend gave him s-e-x-x-y ,back to skull, why does the sun shine,and the DEBUT self titled album. the dj played 8 songs!!!!!!! he played--- all of the why does the sun shine single,though cutting off wdtss the song early,no one really liked it s-e-x-x-y sensurround mrs.train (she was a) hotel detective and thats it! it was pretty cool to hear them all over a loud speakers,and to know a lot of people were hearing them as well. whenever a tmbg song came on i screamed "YES!!!!!" and jumped in the air. people stared. also,at the barmitzva,they had baloon GUITARS and SAXAPHONES,and since i have a resemblence to LINNELL,and my friend his a little chubby liek FLANSBURGH, we took the fake instruments and hopped around all night, jordan ------------------------------ From: "J, the Mysterious (Jamal Rogers)" Subject: TMBG: signed fs cd Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 23:48:57 -0600 After much, much, much thought, I have decided to keep my cd. It occured to me that one day, some wonderful, kind-hearted person might give me dubs of the shtuff I seek in exchange for tapes. I might still trade it for a cd of one of the items. However, I can see from the offers I have received that that will probably not happen. Sorry to waste your time, J, the Mysterious ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-329 ******************************