Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 33 Friday, 2 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Results so far... Re: I need... Re: WDTSS Re : Longines Symohonette Re: Results so far... AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME/I have a 4-track. alice/moira Cibo Matto Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) John Henry GIrl and boy do I feel dumb. Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME... etc. misc t Video Compilation Longines Symohonette Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) Tape Trading Update Tape Trading Request Re: misc t Video Compilation Re: misc t Video Compilation closer to fine.... Album covers Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME/I have a 4-track. RE: Alice or who ever she is! voitng update! Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Moxy RE: Alice or who ever she is! RE: Alice or who ever she is! Re: Album covers Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-31 PERSEPHONE Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-31 hmmmmm. Re: PERSEPHONE The results of J or J.... the back to skull girl aka: Black Francis Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME... etc. Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Answers Re: WDTSS BTS and JH girls alice/moira videos... Several Things I is back!! Re: alice/moira Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME... etc. (fwd) STEAL THE DISC! DO IT!! RE: TMBG snippets on the radio mox Renaming Persephone.. Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: Results so far... Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 00:07:33 -0800 (PST) > > As of right now, these are the results of the voting: > kk Votes for what? (I musta missed it...) (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: I need... Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 00:05:06 -0800 (PST) > > Hey, somebody help me...I need TmBg videos. I'm starved for them. > Haven't seen the video for Don't Let's Start since it came out. The Only Videos I have is on the TMBG VIdeo Compilation including: Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head Don't Let's Start <-------LOOK! Hotel Detective Ana Ng They'll Need a Crane Purple Toupee I got it at Tower Records for $15.99. Go to your nearest Tower and ask them if the have Them. (hahaah) (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: WDTSS Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 23:59:31 -0800 (PST) > > ok, so here's what i was wondering. on the single for the guitar there's ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ Anyone willing to sell me this? (the guitar single)... I'll pay good money for any TMBGCD I do not own... (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Re : Longines Symohonette Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 8:43:07 EDT >From: "Near, Eric" >... BTW, probably >everyone here knows this, but Longines Symphonette means elevator >music. > The Longines Symphonette is a wristwatch. I presume its story is infinite as a) the time ticking away on this watch b) the durability of this watch. (I don't remeber too much about this specific timepiece. Maybe someone who knows exact details can chime in.) Regardless, it's a wonderful lyric. -- John J. Pletikapich john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 08:06:12 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: Re: Results so far... I think perhaps, before people vote (too late, I know), they should consider the availability of the song they want to do. No everyone can find all the singles (I only have access to WDTSS and Back to Skull) and hence can't do songs off those albums. Just a suggestion. Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 08:20:01 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME/I have a 4-track. I, too, have a 4 track so if we're doing that fingertips thing as well (I really want to do the shared deally bopper) I can help. How are we going to decide who's going to do what on what song? I think I've said it before, but I'd like to sing and preferably on one of the songs I voted for (there are 2 in the lead!) Is it too late to change one of my votes? Probably is, huh? AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HOW COULD YOU WANT TO NAME HER ALICE? THAT'S A HORRID NAME! I think we should name her Cutems (Cute 'ems). Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 Feb 96 09:31:03 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: alice/moira hello. well, if you want to propose a name like moira, one must say how it is to be pronounced. to me, there are two options, which are distinct and effect whether i like the name or not: mwah-ra moy-ra which are you getting at? :) ever seeking clarification and still missing the ends of some lines, anne ------------------------------ Subject: Cibo Matto Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 9:41:31 EST From: Fred Boak Organization: WordStock, Inc. Hey - Just wanted to let any of you who caught the really cool duo "Cibo Matto" warm-up for TMBG last summer or fall know that they (that would be "Cibo Matto") have a brand-new full-length CD out. It is called "VIVA! La Woman", and is on Warner Bros. Records, co-produced by Mitchell Froom. A pretty rocking CD. Highly recommended to all G'ints fans. - Fred. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:09:43 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) > P.S. >FRANK BLACK'S NEW ALBUM IS ONE SALE! Buy it now or I'll be forced to > >reveal his real name... > um...could it be Frank Black? (Who is buried in Grant's tomb?) or would it be the infamous charles thompson, known to his closest friends as Chip, the man/genius/robot who I'll thouroughly trounce at pong when he next comes through town... erik gaucho@main.com yeah buy his album kidz, unless you want to get left out in the cold. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:08:00 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: John Henry GIrl and boy do I feel dumb. Gee, kill me. What did they put in my coffee this morning, anyway? Ammend that--jsut a little confused in this frezy of Italian pateries adn looking forward to Thai noodles for lunch and all. I meant, ye to the Joh Hennry Girl. WHat James K. Polk Girl? Maybe this is an appropriate time for me to log off this list permantly. Please no spams, I feel retarded enough as it is. Remorsefully yours, Miss Joni, now humble. I want another eclair! \Good bye world. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:35:15 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME... etc. On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Joey Namgar wrote: > AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HOW COULD YOU WANT TO NAME HER ALICE? THAT'S A HORRID NAME! > I think we should name her Cutems (Cute 'ems). > Alice is a better name than Persephone for any of them. Personally, I don't think cute little girls should be named after goddesses of the underworld. :) If ya ask me, JH girl should be Alice, and BtS should be Ana ('cause when I saw her, I immediately thought of our little friend from the other thread.) Or, if all else fails, we try and find out the girls' real names, and call them that. Until then, however, the only one I've named is Mortimer, the sguid on Apollo 18. ;) Luv to all, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 08:40:06 MST Subject: misc t Video Compilation Someone mentioned a "misc t video compilation". What is this? Which videos are featured? All tracks from misc t? How is it obtained? ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 08:45:03 MST Subject: Longines Symohonette John Pletikapich wrote: The Longines Symphonette is a wristwatch. It is NOT! The Longines Symphonette is an organization (now defunct?) which preceeded K-Tel in the issuing of TV-advertised records. My parents had one featuring 50 snippits of classical music, 25 on each side. Needless to say, Beethoven's 5th symphony was MUCH shorter in this format. I bought one in the 70's which was a compilation of "Wacky Songs" from the 60's, and none were abridged. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:06:33 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: I support computer homicide.(Was:resurrect Alice) On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 mdukelan@wyoming.com wrote: > >Allmighty Rabid Child...what we've got here is a failure to > >communicate, or more precisely, > >a failure to pay attention to what I wrote. I do not want to annul your > >work, I do not care about my say-so, I do not desire Persephone > >renamed Alice. I DO want the currently unnamed BACK TO SKULL GIRL dubbed > >Alice. For those unfamiliar with the cover of BTS...the young featured > >fem is an adorable Asian girl of Persephone's age. My point was... > >since many list members are still bitter over Alice's loss, we should > >demonstrate our Big Tent reputation (we ARE followers of Brooklyn's > >Ambassadors of Love) by turning the angst within their tortured souls > >into yet another beautiful name for a beautiful girl...(now for a > >list-wide group hug)... > > Oh, I guess, well then, hmmm, in that case, since, like, y'know... > Wouldn't that be confusing, for her that is, Having more than one name as > her first one, but if you wish to spread love and happiness, I suppose... > > -Rabid Child > > (Okay, nickname her what you want, but She'll forever be in my heart as > Persephone.) > P.S. >FRANK BLACK'S NEW ALBUM IS ONE SALE! Buy it now or I'll be forced to > >reveal his real name... > um...could it be Frank Black? (Who is buried in Grant's tomb?) > > ** * * * * * * * * * * > * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com > * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * > Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * > * * * * * * * * * * ** > > > Its Charles Thompson.. :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 11:08:08 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Tape Trading Update Well for those who's curiours or just for those that asked me for tapes, well here is an update. I have sent a couple out so far and I am still dubbing tapes for people (I have little time at home on the weekdays). I still have about 12 more tapes to make various people and I should have them all done by the weekend (or by early next week). Be patinent, it usually takes a week to get there. And when you get it, please email me and tell me, and if you were offering anything email me back too. And if you didn't get a reply, well that means I accidently skipped over your mail and send your msg again. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 11:13:56 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Tape Trading Request I've had some people mail me and said they had short radio interviews. If you have any mail me and tell me. Maybe if I get enough I can compile them all on one tape and distribute it. If you don't feel like sending a short interview through the mail (I will compensate you), you can also make it a super high quality sound file (wav, voc, au, whatever) and we'll arrange some way for me to get it. I really don't care about the size it would be, just as long as its good quality, hell I'd leave the computer download all day if it was a they thing. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:49:19 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: misc t Video Compilation >Someone mentioned a "misc t video compilation". > >What is this? Which videos are featured? All tracks >from misc t? How is it obtained? I think the person was speaking of the video comp. available throught the info club. The tape has the same cover art as Misc. T. This tape has the first six videos on it. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 12:19:28 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: misc t Video Compilation > Someone mentioned a "misc t video compilation". > > What is this? Which videos are featured? All tracks > from misc t? How is it obtained? > I think the person that said this probally means the TMBG Video Complination. The cover of it looks like the cover to the misc t album. Anyway the video list was posted earlier. Also does any here as direct TV. Someone told me that they had a video channel that played 'Weird Videos by Bands No one has Probally has ever heard of' is so, would this be the kind of channel that would play TMBG videos? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:35:33 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: closer to fine.... hi understand completely that i fully support the spirit of banter and pointless conversation, but is there any way that listers can avoid sending one line messages and messages that could be sent directly to the person they pertain to? i'm sure all of the people that have to pay lots of clams for their email would appreciate it. plus, it's a bit grating to get a message that only says, "huh?" or "amen, brother". just a friendly reminder of email etiquette....just call me heloise. anyhoo, my good man michael lokshin (raoul) let me get my hands on his copy of back to skull, and it's great. He also gave me the interp for "mrs. train", and it really makes sense. anybody interested? also, it's alice, all the way. :) aims. ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ "Be a virus, see the world." aimee elisabeth pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:58:22 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Album covers They have always had striking album covers, Does anyone know the story(ies) behind some of Them? Like, what is the whole concept behind the JH cover in relation to the music?, etc.) Thanks, grd ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 13:28:35 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME/I have a 4-track. > really want to do the shared deally bopper) I can help. How are we going > to decide who's going to do what on what song? I think I've said it We'll work on that later.... lebo ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:04:46 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: RE: Alice or who ever she is! I think its silly to name a girl any thing unless those in authority have named her--ie the Johns, or somesuch. Who are we do decide the name of a girl on an album cover? Is it just to make those in the know feel hep and exculsive--leaving those who do not know in total darkenss? I must admit, being new to this list, it took me awhile to figure out just who the heck Alice/Prosepine (or are you spellinging it Persephenie? I can't remember?) was/were. I agree--she's the James K. Polk girl or chick,or the girl on the album--but no names, please, unless you know her name, or unless you are a soul so desperately in love with her that you MUST give her a name...and then that should be a very private,secret name--like my friend who names every guy he thinks is handsom IAN, if he doesnt' know his name. The End. Miss Joni gee, that girl is bossy and opinionated, isn't she? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 13:40:31 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: voitng update! As of 1:06 PM. Thursday, 2/1/96... the results of the We Wanna Be Giants, Too project: 3 votes - She's an Angel 2 votes - Welcome to the Jungle AKA Driver End of the Tour Cowtown 1 vote - Dead Todler Highway Ant James K. Polk Rhythm Section... ...Puppethead Birdhouse... Statue Got Me High, the The Biggest One You'll Miss Me 50 States... Turn Around ...Nuts at X-mas They'll Need a Crane Letterbox Ana Ng Mr. Claw Fingertips Particle Man Don't Let's Start vote! please? And for everyone who has "no musical inclination whatsoever," additional percussion, background humming, whistling.... whatever... will work if you want to partake. And if you don't want to partake, I'll still send you a tape if you want (when it's finished). I think I made sense... lebo ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: GOT GOOD STUFF! Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 13:29:02 -0500 (EST) > > > >AHEM! THE BIG BLUE DOG ALBUM, YOU MEAN!!!!!!!! > > > > > > um, let's not start that again. it's worse than the ana ng thread. let's > > debate something other than that, like whether or not microwave poopcorn > > picks up radiant energy from the microwave it's cooked in, or something like > > that. > > > > paul > > > > > > Yeah its bad enough to watch reruns on TV let alone having reruns in you mail box. (or maybe even a remake) Actually some reruns are kinda cool if yo umissed them the first time around. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Moxy Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 13:34:20 -0500 (EST) Ok, I know this has nothing to do with TMBG but Moxy Fruvous is playing at the 8x10 in Baltimore tonight for a free show from 9-10. My friend told me this last night and I think I'll stop down there and see them! Ya can't beat a free show, especially for such an excellent band! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:36:52 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: RE: Alice or who ever she is! As Ive said before, there are a bunch of names under "Ground Crew" in the John Henry lyrics sheet. I'm sure that her name is one of them On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Joni M. Back wrote: > I think its silly to name a girl any thing unless those in authority have > named her--ie the Johns, or somesuch. Who are we do decide the name of a > girl on an album cover? Is it just to make those in the know feel hep > and exculsive--leaving those who do not know in total darkenss? I must > admit, being new to this list, it took me awhile to figure out just who > the heck Alice/Prosepine (or are you spellinging it Persephenie? I can't > remember?) was/were. I agree--she's the James K. Polk girl > or chick,or the girl on the album--but no names, please, unless you know > her name, or unless you are a soul so desperately in love with her that > you MUST give her a name...and then that should be a very private,secret > name--like my friend who names every guy he thinks is handsom IAN, if he > doesnt' know his name. > > The End. > > Miss Joni > > gee, that girl is bossy and opinionated, isn't she? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 14:02:09 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: RE: Alice or who ever she is! > I think its silly to name a girl any thing unless those in authority have > named her--ie the Johns, or somesuch. Who are we do decide the name of a > girl on an album cover? I thought her parents named her. I dunno, maybe they made her name a variable so everyone could decide what it could be and then change it 3 months down the road. Or is it supposted to be like some sort of character. Next time your at a concert charge up on stage (try not to get held back, beat up the security if you have to), and ask them what the Name of the JH girl is (its best to do this during the last songs cuz you'll get kicked out, if not arrested). ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 14:07:25 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: Album covers On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > > > They have always had striking album covers, > Does anyone know the story(ies) behind > some of Them? Like, what is the whole > concept behind the JH cover in relation > to the music?, etc.) > > Thanks, > grd > On JH, they were trying to offset the 'cuteness' of the children with the morbidness of the skull and such.... ------------------------------ From: BOAR_220@access.ohio.gov Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 14:19:59 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-31 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 13:15:05 -0600 From: paul the unraveller Subject: PERSEPHONE i know that the john henry girl's true name is in fact persephone. she came to me in a dream back when we were going to vote last time and told me that she had to be given the name persephone. you've seen the axe in her hand, i wouldn't mess with her. even though she was really nice to me, if you keep calling her by wrong names she might be forced to take action against you. paul, her humble servant... ------------------------------ From: BOAR_220@access.ohio.gov Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 14:29:06 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-31 HEY, COURTNEY! JUST READ YOUR LETTER IF YOU'RE STILL LOOKIN' FOR A WAY UP TO ROCHESTER , I'M LIKE TOTALLY DOIN' NUTHIN THIS WEEKEND. MY NAME'S STEVE, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME KOBRA. I'D BE TOTALLY WILLING TO GIVE YOU LADIES A LIFT UP THERE. AS THE GREAT JOHNS ONCE SAID , " I'M YOUR ONLY FRIEND, I'M NOT YOUR ONLY FRIEND, BUT I'M A LITTLE GLOWING FRIEND, BUT REALLY I'M NOT ACTUALLY YOUR FRIEND, BUT I AM." ANYWAY, IF YA STILL NEED A LIFT, JUST DROP ME A LINE. (I'LL BE PICKIN' UP MY MAIL TOMORROW AFTERNOON, SO PLEASE RESPOND. LATER, KOBRA ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 15:13:16 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: hmmmmm. call me old fashioned, but i think that the proper names should be: the John Henry Girl and the Back To Skull Girl or at least call the JH girl Scarry Girl Persephone (because she's so freaky) and Not-so-scarry BTS Girl should be called: Yorrick (i knew her well) may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 15:40:01 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: PERSEPHONE You know, we can just call her John. This way, it's not a long title (John-Henry-Girl) or a name that many people are prone to misspell (Persephone - it's very pretty and all, but it implies death and suffering considering the original Persephone was Queen of the Dead..... Hmmm.... I think we can call her Your Majesty if that's the case :D ). This will, however, mix her up with L. and F. But that's such wonderful company, she's no right to complain!! Luv to all, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 15:43:06 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: The results of J or J.... Well, the votes are in. And after tallying up a whopping four votes, I've come to this decision: No one cares. Not exactly!! The true results were this; 2 for Linnell, 2 for Flans. So, I guess what this note is trying to say is that they are both lovely, lovely men, and we'd be pretty well off if stuck on a desert island with either for a week! :) (I know I'd love it) Thanks for all two and a half that voted, 'Nette, who still thinks JL is the cute one. ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "There's no word in English for my style" - TMBG,------------ *-------------------------------------- Extra Savoir-Faire----- "Whoa; Dumber than advertised!!" - Yakko ------------------- ------------------------Jeanette C. Frost--------------------- Trenton State College------------------------frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 15:00:00 -0600 (CST) From: The Lizard Lounge Subject: the back to skull girl ok ok ok i am sorry. i was mistaken earlier when i said that the john henry girl should be named the john henry girl. (though she should have been). i too will go for alice. alice. though the john henry girl might be an interesting misnomer for the back to skull girl to have... dianora bren Saevar d'Tigana (amie longenbaugh) ------------------------------ From: "Anthony F. Portizo" Subject: aka: Black Francis Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 11:01:39 EST OLA, As ya know Frank Black has released a new album and just yesterday I was at the local music store looking at it when I realized some stuff....First off it appears that the dear friend of J&J has changed record labels and moved from the confines of Electra(label of TMBG) to American recordings... Now I don't know if this is good or bad or what ever but i just noticed it.. Also I noticed that there is a song on the album called "mosh, don't pass the dude" or is guy, I don't remember, but this could be a song refering to what John and John always say about how it bugs them when people pass each other around at shows... oh well enough of the babbling... -Last plane to London, leaving on runway number 5- of course its TMBG -- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 15:19:59 -0600 From: "James K. Polk" Subject: Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME... etc. >Until then, however, the only one I've named is Mortimer, the sguid on >Apollo 18. ;) well, here's an unexplored avenue. why don't we name all of the characters on the albums? here's a list of some of them: the man on WDTSS single the actual skull on the Back to Skull single the whale on apollo 18 the two astronauts in the pink section of the Statue single the two telephones on the Palindrome single laura cantrell's guitar on the Guitar single the faces and globe in the Istanbul single the people in the boat on Flood the accordian on the actual Lincoln disc the infamous "big blue dog" on the self-titled album the "big tour" car on same the "capitol building" car on same the motel on same the fishbowl car on same the beer on same the boat car (boat of car?) on same the mr. blobby thing near the right edge of same the vaccuum cleaner on same the signs on same the snowmen on same by the way, has anybody else read the movie listing on the self-titled album? it's on the back of the liner notes, near the far left side, in the TMB Complex, and it's pretty neat: 1. Rambo 2. Aliens 3. ET 4. Friday 13 5. Top Gun 6. Commando 7. Psycho II 8. Back to Sc (cut off) ------------------------------ From: "Matthew Seth Meyer" Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 16:29:00 -500 (EST) Subject: Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Answers It's already been well stated that Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love is not a Meat Puppets song, but I thought I should clear up its origin. Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love is the title of a song by Mahavishnu Orchestra. I haven't heard it, but it's :35 seconds long and presumably instrumental. It's probably unrelated to the TMBG song, except, of course, for the title. Mahavishnu Orchestra is a jazz-rock fusion group from the late 60's and early 70's led by guitar legend John McLaughlin. mattman ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 14:44:56 -0700 (MST) From: Tatiana Suzanne Baldwin Subject: Re: WDTSS Just before they released wdtss, they played it on the Conan O'Brian show. During the interview They said they didn't really write it, but it actually came from a golden book ( or something of that sort) of the stars. Everything is basically the same except the yooohoo part. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: BTS and JH girls Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 17:21:03 -0500 (EST) > > >Yes, the John Henry Girl is definitely Persephone...it was destined to be > >so. Alice does sound like a good name for the Back to Skull girl though. I > >noticed some ppl that replied to this message were under the assumption that > >we were still talking about the JH girl... She is persephone all the way. > >Back to Skull has a different, less scary girl. I vote for Alice. Anyone > >want to collect votes? > > DOH! > I myself made the stupid mistake at not having looked at BTS and JH side by > side for a while, so I didn't realise that they were different ladies... Ummmmm, the BTS girl is Oriental and the JH girl is caucasion. How do you mixed these two girls up???????!!?? Ok sorry Also, ikf you wanna get technical Frank Black's original name is Black Francis. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: alice/moira Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 17:32:57 -0500 (EST) > > hello > well, if you want to propose a name like moira, one must say how it is > to be pronounced. to me, there are two options, which are distinct and > effect whether i like the name or not: > > mwah-ra > moy-ra Hello Anne: There is a girl in my class with this name and I think she pronounces it Mor-rah I think, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 19:02:39 -0500 (EST) From: Helene Subject: videos... I saw someone ask if tmbg videos are availible, and in fact they are... I found a collection on laser disk which includes ...puppethead, purple toupe, hotel dective, they'll need a crane, ana ng, and don't let's start... I believe it's available through the fan club too, on a regular vcr tape form.... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 19:38:59 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Several Things I can also do drums and keyboards, but will I actually get off my butt and do this? Anyway, I'll vote for: The End of the Tour Birdhouse in Yr Soul And finish: I'm Having a Heart Attack (from Fingertips)... John Henry girl: I think we should name her Jamie. I know someone who looks like her named Jamie and I know someone that should look like her (using more character judging) named Jamie. There ya go. PLEASE VOTE FOR YR FAVORITE TMBG SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com *goes to change his .sig again* ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| !noixepa.ge/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 20:22:52 -0500 Subject: I is back!! Hey guys! I had to re-register with AOLame to get more free hours so I missed a little of the action. I pray to God you guys have given up the whole Ana Ng thing. Daniel, I know you're a reliable guy so could you please forward all the messages from the fourth Re:GOT GOOD STUFF! message to this message. I'll be your best friend. Glad to be back, Beezus5085 (formerly 5084) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 20:54:02 -0500 From: STLJP01@moravian.edu (LISA PAINTON) Subject: Re: alice/moira >> >> hello >> well, if you want to propose a name like moira, one must say how it is >> to be pronounced. to me, there are two options, which are distinct and >> effect whether i like the name or not: >> >> mwah-ra >> moy-ra >Hello Anne: >There is a girl in my class with this name and I think she pronounces it >Mor-rah >I think, Perhaps if Moira is decided upon, M-a-u-r-a would be a better spelling -- more clear. Lisa. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 Feb 96 21:42:21 EST From: Mike Orsega Subject: Re: AHHHHHHH! ALICE! WHAT A HORRID NAME... etc. (fwd) From: "James K. Polk" by the way, has anybody else read the movie listing on the self-titled album? it's on the back of the liner notes, near the far left side, in the TMB Complex, and it's pretty neat: 1. Rambo 2. Aliens 3. ET 4. Friday 13 5. Top Gun 6. Commando 7. Psycho II 8. Back to Sc (cut off) my thoughts as far as number 8 was that it is 'Back to School' you know the one with Rodney Dangerfield....the triple lindy????? mike "Watch the Sneak!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 20:44:53 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: STEAL THE DISC! DO IT!! Regarding the moral dilemma of "do I or do I not steal a radio station's copy of Ana Ng?", I humbly offer my opinion: DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! After nearly three years working in radio, both commercial and non, it's been my experience that radio stations and program directors are largely ignorant and unworthy of having cool music. I know not how many times I've gazed longingly at a perfectly cool CD which I know for a fact will never be programmed or returned before I figured out that the only responsible thing to do as a music lover is SWIPE THE BASTARD! There is a certain established order of things when it comes to pilfering music from a station, however. First, if there's any possiblity that it may be programmed some day, it's best to lay off. If there's any chance that the disc will be missed, it probably will, and you will probably be caught (I remember a guy who was caught stealing CD's off the PD's desk when the general manager, who had long suspected him, actually set up a hidden camera in the office. He was not only fired, but also arrested. True, I swear to God!). So if you think they may notice it's gone, resist the temptation - you will keep your job and avoid that unpleasant, heavy sensations mortals call "guilt". Also, some record companies send out copies which they expect to be returned, and if the CD is gone the station has to pay for it. This is bad. A few tips for making off with the goods: some PD's have the annoying habit of marking the CD and cover conspicuously with the station's call letters and such, using a "permanent" marker or some such implement. This will come off with a bit of isopropyl alcohol, which every station that still uses cart machines has in ready supply. If the record company has marked "promotional copy - not for sale" on the disc, you can remove it with an X-acto knife, but do so VERY carefully, so as not to scrape off anything but the paint. Remember this: music is meant to be appreciated, and if it is not in a position where it will be given its due of attention, it is your duty to liberate that lonely CD. It needs love and affection, and you may be the only one who can provide it. So cast all inhibitions and false morality aside and DO IT!! It's your destiny... The little devil on your shoulder, They Might Have A New Sig File! -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ They Might Be Josh Raulerson ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu <><><><> The Fauves Homepage is back: http:www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html - Now 100% Crash-proof! "If I had $1000000, I'd buy you the Republican nomination..." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 21:07:11 -0700 From: bw624@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Robert Perret) Subject: RE: TMBG snippets on the radio KTCL in Ft Collins, CO plays "Minimum Wage" as a link between news stories often. Then the talk over the music. But that song is so short, it's usually played in full. "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought we Had a Deal" also is part of Dave Granger's (Grave Danger's) old promo. KTickle is probably the bast "alternative" station in the Denver Metero Area! -- Hey, Ladies! Get your hands on a steamy hunk of Robert Perret at bw624@freenet.UCHSC.edu or at hy267@cleveland.Freenet.Edu ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: mox Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:28:37 -0500 (EST) Well, we spent an hour driivng around Baltimore looking for the 8x10 and consequently missed Moxy Fruvous except for one part of My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors, we didn't want to pay the $5 cover charge to see 1 or 2 songs. 8-( *cry* As fro the Ana Ng single, I doubt that a record company would be asking for it, cause that single is rather old, and if it is little or never used ya might as well take it or at least ask to buy it or something, it's too cool to pass up! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 01:32:46 -0500 From: ae371@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Beth Connell) Subject: Renaming Persephone.. Instead of trying to remane Persephone, thus quite possibly incurring her wrath and causing her to hunt us all down with giant pickaxes and equally giant hamsters, why don't we merely do what I did to a character of mine once? He started out with the name Thaddeus. Over the ensuing 9 years, he became Stopford Thaddeus Edward Albert Bennington the 3rd, or St. Thad for short. (patent pending) ( :) ) So why don't we just give Persephone more names? I'm sure she won't object.. Now she can be Persephone Alice, then Persephone Alice Hannah, then Persephone Alice Hannah please-doon't-kill-me-with-that-giant-pickaxe.. and so on. Then she'll tell 2 friends, who'll tell 2 friends, and so on, and so on, and so on.. :) (I'm feeling a bit punchy. Lucked into some money, went on a massive shopping spree and am currently on a NY Super Fudge Chunk high..) On a slightly more-directly related TMBG note, on the off chance a) My sister gets comps, b) She's willing to take me to the show and c) I can switch at work,is anyone going to the RIT show from the Buffalo area? Y'see, I don't drive.. Beth (woh had -loads- of fun making the SO carry all the nifty stuff she bought.. :) :) :) ) (who also can't type worth a damn right now. Deal. :) ) -- <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-33 *****************************